8.0

1. Nov 9, 2013
    After two weeks of trouble shooting I got the game to work with my headphones with abit of slowdown and crackling sound. Only played a couple of hours but found the game enjoyable

Had some friends over and wanted to play through my speakers instead of the headphones, after 2hours of troubleshooting, recommended settings .ini file, ingame, devices, plugging out anything unecceassary i
    gave up.

This game is broken and doesnt work on some hardware
    If it works I can imagine it being fun
  2. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Reason for 2 stars? It's the Best $50 guitar lesson to be found. Why not more? Read on.

Length of Ownership: 6 weeks.

I purchased this game/learning tool (G/LT) to spice up my practice and (hopefully) learn something new. Having played guitar for over 40 years and possessing more than 20 years online gaming experience, I felt confident that I could find a way to make this software work on PC with reasonable results despite its game console (PS, X-Box, etc.) heritage. Boy was I Wrong.

Platform: Win 7 Pro, intel Core i7, dedicated Radeon Graphics, 6GB RAM.

Guitar: 1977 Les Paul Custom

Cans: Shure SRH-440

Installation: Ordinarily installation of any complex and interactive software requires more than a single attempt. I have installed and re-installed the software At Least FOUR times. The requirements to install the software, create an account with UbiSoft and register the software are cumbersome at best. Moreover, despite its relatively recent release date, registering unique user account names is equally unwieldy.

Logging In: Once the G/LT is started and the PK confirmed, a second login is required by UbiSoft for the Profile Created and the ability to utilize web-based content and tools. Having written SAS code for over 20 years, SQL code for more than 10 and possessing over 20 years writing macros for every kind of software imaginable, this is overkill. Given the sophistication of the software, RS2014's programmers should be able to make this game start with a simple double-click by merely linking the software and PK to the MAC address on the host PC. This is but one of the tell-tale signs of this G/LT as gaming-platform software.

Game Play: RS 2014 purports itself to be both a game and a learning tool, but fills neither role particularly well. As a game, it awards points and level advancement based on (seemingly) arbitrary ability to hit particular notes as they approach on the interface. In order to advance in the game and begin learning more complex pieces, the player must successfully pass through a series of "lessons" the software deems appropriate given performance on particular tracks the user has accessed.

Learning Tool: I have been playing Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" for over 25 years (note for note on all rhythm parts confirmed by multiple tabs I have read) but have never had a tremendous amount of success with the solo phrasing. After going through the track in game about 4 times, I was assigned a lesson regarding "position changes." Similarly, I have played Rush's "The Spirit of Radio" since 1982 but have always felt my execution of the signature riff needed polish. After half a dozen runs playing every note (again confirmed by multiple tabs acquired over the years), I was assigned a lesson for "bends." (The only bends in the track are in the solo, many of which require a trem which I don't have on my LPC).

Downloadable Play Content (DPC): Being a Huge Rush fan, I wanted to make use of the 5-song expansion pack. While I know the overwhelming majority of the tracks note-for-note, but in need of polish, I purchased it online as at Least One of the THREE websites regarding the pack stated that it was compatible with RS2014. Having non-backwardly compatible expansion packs is yet another of the tell-tale signs this is gaming platform software. This is something one would expect from Microsoft after 4 new iterations of MS Office, not something one would expect from a second-generation G/LT.

The Bottom Line: While RS 2014 is the Best $50 guitar lesson one would ever hope to buy, it is neither a jack of all trades nor a master of one. The installation and login procedures are more cumbersome than logging into a Swiss bank's accounts database and the AI intended to assist guitar players in improving knowledge, technique and skills is lack luster at best.
  3. Dec 30, 2013
    One mortal flaw: this game does not work on some hardware. It was impossible to get the sounds working with my setup (motherboard with integrated Realtek soundcard, Creative SoundBlaster Z soundcard). Despite several attempts with different drivers, trying all the Ubisoft tips for editing the .ini file, disabling the other soundcard, even removing the Creative soundcard altogether, the in-game sound just would not work. The sound in the loading phase still works, but when inside the game, eternal silence. This is the only program where sounds do not function (including 100+ games and several audio tools installed on my machine), so it definitely has something to do with how the game handles audio. Before buying, pay a visit to a search engine and ensure that your setup does not match the ones that have had this problem. Expand
  4. Jan 10, 2014
    Not ready for prime time Mouse doesn't work always or we'll Extremely long download time Not enough user control When one's mouse doesn't work keyboard nav is bear. No simple login one has to copy and paste or memorize the code Like most software it really is not for beginners. There are lessons for beginners BUT when one tells the program one is a beginner it does not take one to the true beginners lessons.
    If my son didn't have this on his ps3 I would want my money back but then he would get the guitar.
  5. Feb 23, 2014
    I wonder who they thought they were making this game/software for? Some of it is very simple, but there are other areas that were made extremely difficult. I just finished a lesson on palm mutes, for bass, then they go to a practice track that is so fast a beginner is lost before it really starts. They could of very easily built up to that type of speed or at least allowed the "riff repeater" to be used on it.
    Session mode wants me to play chord tones on the down beat for 20 minutes, but after 30 minutes of playing has not recorded a single minute. If I'm not playing it correctly there needs to be some help from the game/software.
    As you progress through the "missions" there is a little box that tells you what your missions are but only there for a bit then it goes in to advertising (telling you what new songs you can buy) mode so if you miss it, you must click on another option then go back to see what they are.
    When playing "Return to Castle Chordread" it is very hit and miss you can play a chord clean and it will not register and other times it will use a chord played as two different chords.
    Long and short of this is that is can help you learn guitar, but there are so many problems that should have been addressed before release.
    For $80 I feel a little ripped off. If you want to complain on "STEAM.COM" which you must use, it is a nightmare to log in to, and customer service is a concept that they have never heard of.
  6. Apr 6, 2014
    Game ran once then said my key was already used. Was unable to return it or get it fixed. Took several days for each response to my support requests. Most expensive 20 minutes of gameplay I have ever paid for in my life. Will never buy another UBI soft product again. Steam needs to warn users if they are buying something with multiple layers of buggy copy protection included.
  7. Jul 30, 2014
    I used to recommend Rocksmith 2014 to all of my friends. After owning it for 7 months however, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Why the change of heart? The game just randomly crashes. My guess is it has something to do with their save or server system. An example of the lack of saved information, can be seen when doing a "non-stop session". As when you log back in, it has no idea what songs you practiced, how long you are into that session, how well you did, or even what your guitar was tuned to. And to add to your frustration, every time it crashes, you have to wait a minute while it reboots, and goes through it's advertisement and installation instructions screen. And this is after you have to reboot your Xbox system. Turn your controller back on, and then wait for the game to reconnect to it's servers.

So the game is a great learning tool. But it's random crashes can be enough to make people quit. Oddly sometimes it never crashes. Others it will crash until you call it quits. And Ubisoft never responds to any of your petitions for help. Which is sad, because if they just fixed the crash issues this would be a great learning tool.

1. Dec 25, 2013
    Rocksmith doesn't make learning the guitar easier. It does, however, make it more fun. [Jan 2014, p.85]
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    Rocksmith 2014 is not just a fun game for guitar players, but the best way to learn how to play guitar or improve your technique. [Jan 2014, p.68]
  3. Nov 8, 2013
    By itself, as just a game for someone that has no interest in learning guitar, it’s probably no more or less engaging than past rhythm games, but for those who dream of shredding, I can’t think of a better starting point.