7.8

1. Sep 20, 2014
    I had to make a counter review to Bunkerfox's because it is rated as too helpful. First he says the controls are bad. This is false. The controls are not intuitive, that is to say, they do not match the smoother feeling of Castlevania. However, this is remedied easily by sticking with the game for a few hours and you easily adjust. I had no trouble buffing myself to +50% speed and blitzing through the castle destroying everything in my path (loads of fun btw). So yes, the controls can be difficult to adjust to if you don't play a variety of games and are only used to one platforming style.

The hero legacies are random, yes, but there's an upgrade you can purchase with gold to randomize them again. If you can't stand randomness at all, don't buy the game. The castle is randomly generated to a certain extent. The 1st area is always in the middle, the 2nd area to the right, 3rd to top, and 4th to bottom. You often will find rooms similar to ones you've played before, but each new map will be randomly laid out. The exploration phase of the game only lasts about 10-15 hours, once you've explored a whole castle, you're pretty much done exploring. It isn't like Castlevania with hidden or unlockable rooms or rooms you need to come back to after gaining a new ability. In other words, exploration is NOT a major feature of the game. The game is more about fighting, looting, and upgrading your stats.

I loved upgrading my character and trying to beat my previous high score for gold collected in 1 run each time. If you upgrade your stats to maximum, you might feel like it's a grind, but it's totally up to you.

Great sounds, decent music(gets annoying after a long time). As for the making fun of disabilities I don't think it's as serious as some make it out to be. Some aren't even real, and can be offensive if you have no sense of humor.

Amazing game, very Castlevania-esque, gave me 50 hours of fun.
  2. Sep 10, 2014
    A well made side-scrolling plat-former with a unique twist on character advancement, this game is definitely worth the reasonable price-tag. It is a full game (no micro-transactions! Nice!), so you need not fear getting ripped off. It does get a little repetitive, with its grind-based design, but is still worth the effort. A few more environments and enemy diversity would have made this game a classic. Nonetheless, an excellent indie game. Expand
  3. Sep 6, 2014
    Let me start this review off by saying that I'm not very good at this game. However, despite my sometimes colorful expressions after my character's death, Rogue Legacy still makes me want to keep playing.

For the most part, Rogue Legacy is a retro throwback that attempts to capture an audience who grew up playing Ghosts 'n Goblins and Castlevania. Also for the most part, the game does
    very well, and provides a solid combination of RPG-like progression (in the form of stat upgrades and new classes,) side-scrolling gameplay, and sometimes brutal combat. This is where my biggest complaint about the game comes in. Combat sometimes feels like a chore, and can be frustrating due to enemy spawning and floaty jump controls. Also, a few of the added traits your character can have seem to have no point, sometimes impeding the gameplay more than adding a layer to it (I'm looking at you, upside down screen!)

Overall, Rogue Legacy's flaws don't keep it from being a bad game by any stretch of the imagination. It's difficulty, while sometimes over-the-top for the average gamer, still adds replayability, and the price tag of $15 on Steam makes it worth your time.
  4. Aug 27, 2014
    I find that indie games receive a lot of praise and leniency, just for being an indie game that tried something uncommon. Games like FTL and Terraria, however, prove that we don't have to hold indie games to such low standards. For that reason, I'm going to tell it as it is: Rogue Legacy is mediocre. It consists of an interesting idea for a trait and progression system that is unimpressive in its execution and delivered on top of a terrible platform game. I played enough of it to get a good taste (defeated the bosses etc), and I regret all of it. This is the worst kind of gaming there is: a progression system that compels you to start a new game, but the gameplay is so bad that you hate yourself every time. Expand
  5. Aug 13, 2014
    I first played this game a few months ago and didn't like it at all, but only because I suck at platformers. Later I was convinced to give it another try, and woah if it blew my mind. Rogue Legacy is the Dark Souls of platformers: once you get used to its dying and rebirth routine you'll spend hours with it and love the sense of progression. A fantastic game.
  6. Jul 29, 2014
    Such a unique game. Controls are solid, level design is great albeit difficult, and the aspect of learning from death makes it a really fun experience.
  7. Jul 14, 2014
    Rogue Legacy is a great new take on a Metroidvania style game. It's a roguelike but you get to use your gold and loot to purchase and unlock persistent upgrades across all your characters (makes it much more fun than the normal roguelike in my opinion). A very challenging game with really solid gameplay.
  8. Jul 7, 2014
    im sorry but i hate this game with a passion
    first off peopole who love it need to go play castlevania or ninja gaiden then come back to this
    second off the games difficulty is the major problem i have no problem with hard games i love broforce castlevania ninja gaiden yggdra union and there hard as balls but this game instead of using challenging and good level design decides to instead
    just throw a crap storm at you in order to get by as a chalenging game the platforming is mediocre to say the least its realy floaty and controls like crap the combat is also a major feature along with platforming and its just as bad you have 1 spell and you can swing your sword thats it nothing else also the spells are all stolen straight from castlevania except for the sword wall wich is useless
    however it does have some good features the graphics are very nice and building a legacy is interesting
    however the legacy is nothing more then upgrades and another major part building your manor is just a upgrade screen the classes are useless except the shinobi get the shinobi the only way to beat this game is with the shinobi the bosses are horrendus to there just bigger versions of normal enemies litteraly all of the bosses are upscaled versions of first off the visionarys second off the flaming skulls and so on and so forth the final is un original to with it just being a knight the story seems interesting at first but its a cop out and it should go burn along with this game over all the game just isnt good and by that is one of the worst its not bubsy 3d bad but its close
  9. Jul 6, 2014
    Rouge Legacy does everything Megaman with more variance. The constant change in weapons, characters, and skills require consistent adjustment of playstyle with each life. The heir continue system is a unique approach that keeps this platforming powerhouse fresh. Could not be happier. Full review later.
  10. Jun 26, 2014
    I don't know why, but I'm addicted to this game. Is an old style platform with many modern elements that make it a joy to play.From the beginning to the end is probably too frustrating, but then you have that particular session in which everything goes right, and you feel you are playing one of the best games ever.
    I think it deserves a sequel with a bigger environment, now the levels
    graphic is flat and boring. Expand
  11. Jun 18, 2014
    Great 2D side-scrolling game with rogue-lite system. You can buy equipment, runes even upgrade your castle for permanent improvements of your heroes. Yes, heroes, because every time you die, you choose your heir who will follow up your adventure. There are many classes of heroes, with different spells and characteristic (your heir can be colorblind, when everything is black'n'white, or farsighted, when thing close to your hero are blur). I recommend this game for everyone who from time to time wanna chill out with simple, relaxing but challenging game :) Expand
  12. Jun 13, 2014
    Great difficulty curve. Great 2D side scroller game play. Very addicting. Doesn't do anything terribly original, (otehr than inherited traits which are fun, but not really game defining) but it nails the addicting rogue like formula. Very easy to get sucked in.
  13. Jun 10, 2014
    Conceptualmente interesante pero no especialmente bien desarrollado sus mecánicas y el potencial que podría tener. Es interesante para verlo si se lo ha comprado un amigo.
  14. Jun 6, 2014
    First of all, if you do not have a controller do not bother with this trash game. I would assume that this game would be pretty fantastic with a proper controller, however the default controls that come with it are some of the most ridiculous rubbish I've ever played with in my life. Common sense and my history of gaming make me wonder if the creator even played his own game before releasing it.

So, with that tidbit out of the way, I will admit that I really WANT to like this game. It has a good premise for an indie game and the concept is solid. However the control scheme makes me tend to quit after about 2 playthroughs due to the sheer stupidity of it. Basically, this game is a side-scrolling Metroid-esque game with hack'n'slash features. What you see is what you get really. It has quite a lot of replay value as long as you have some alternate method of control or you enjoy being defeated due to poor control schemes (looking at you Resident Evil, can't run while shooting. Makes sense in a zombie game...)

Basically you start out as some sort of 'knight' that has no real background or story and the main goal of the game is to wrack up as much gold as possible. The gold is used for progression AFTER dying. Yeah, you heard me, Not going to use that gold while you're alive. The only way to access the 'store' (dubbed 'The Manor') in which to spend all your hard (read: VERY HARD) earned gold is to perish. Once you perish, you get to pick one of three 'descendants' that have varying abilities and skills (called traits).

There is a wide array of these traits that keep it fresh and replayability high and subsequence playthroughs amusing. After perishing you are brought back to 'The Manor', a series of unlockable options, such as a blacksmithy, more health or mana, additional abilities, etc. They build off one another, with the player unlocking one making it so that three more are able to be looked at and purchased.

The monsters are pretty standard fare, hailing from NES and SNES times with predictable patterns and bullet-hell firing paths that are usually dodgable sans the terrible controls.
  15. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is cocaine. I always tell myself, just one more then im done. I'll do homework. I'll sleep. I'll eat something. You know what, that was a cheap death, one more. Okay, just one more. Sweet, just beat the game. Oh new game plus? maybe just one more playthrough... This game is incredibly addictive and challenging. I have seen people who suck terribly still trying to press through this game. Must have for anyone and everyone. Expand
  16. Mar 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sorry to break it to you, but if you like being spoon fed a victory, go elsewhere. This game is back in the old school, drag you through broken glass hard modes that have sadly been missing from games. This and other rogue-likes are getting more notoriety because there is a genuine challenge.

Hate the random levels? use the architect to lock in a castle design.
    Hate your blondie hero? Well, its better than IBS.

My major complaint is that it feels awkward with a keyboard. For a game being a rogue-like metroidvainia the controls should be tight as hell, but i think it conveys the desperation of one life well without making you feel like a fool for dying.

as Sir Leopold said on his death,
    "$%^$#&"
  17. Mar 15, 2014
    Here comes a computer game from Cellar Door Games that not only advances the genre of the roguelike, but also add lots of replay value after you beat the game

Using 2D side scrolling graphics, the game runs very smooth and without any hitches. The music, while dreary, adds a sense of ambiance to the game. What makes Rogue Legacy unique from your traditional Roguelike is that after your
    character dies to any of the game's various monsters and traps, you get to pick from a random list of three heirs, with varying job classes and traits, with more job classes made available as you spend your hard-earned gold on new perks

Just like any other roguelike, the game gets hard but the risk vs reward is well worth it. Rogue Legacy can be played with either the keyboard or a gamepad. I prefer the gamepad for this one.

At the end of the day, Rogue Legacy is one of the better, if not the best, roguelike available on Steam and is worth checking out.
  18. Mar 9, 2014
    Game is OK but it is basically TOO HARD to be enjoyable. This is made worse by the way the map resets after each death. With each death accumulated (money) progress is lost so the game basically wastes your time by denying any progress. You might die 20-30 times before you luck-out and get enough money to get an upgrade. Don't waste your time with this garbage.
  19. Vel
    Mar 8, 2014
    The Good: As far as platformers go, the graphics, sound effects, and comedy all work well. If you love platformers, this will be a pretty enjoyable game for you.

The Bad: The controls are a bit wonky, the hit boxes are annoying, and the difficulty/cost of upgrades scales too quickly. If you are an expert at platformers and have the fast-twitch reflexes of a teenager in his/her prime,
    you may be able to advance through the game, but for the rest of us, you will probably never end up more than 6-12 rooms deep into any dungeon. The game simply lacks the balance and polish to make it fun. Expand
  20. Feb 26, 2014
    Excellent game, very very enjoyable, I'm not a fan of rogue type games, but this one did a great job at being a bit random with tons of twists, it was easy to get very addicted to it, wanting to upgrade mansion fully and get all the things, I very much enjoyed all the time I've spent playing this!
  21. Feb 17, 2014
    I expect game like Prehistoric 2 or Titus the Fox. But again fail. Good idea to have new character each game. You can choose clones of your previous character. It will be nice a seems to be promising idea, which allows you to make different after each death.
    But game play is like incorrectly finish student work. Terrible jumping, for simple tasks you need multiple keys what ruins
    character control. enemies can shoot during walls, jump everywhere, fly everywhere. There is missing any way how to improve game difficulty. It's like last level of game with hard difficulty after first door. Is useless to buy new weapons, as they can do only small damage and you have to be close to enemy.
    Enemies are not colliding with you, you are transparent for them. If you hit them with weapon, they just blink and continue in movement to target - YOU. In reality you have only 1 hit to kill them, otherwise they will start killing you. Because your body is transparent, you have to jump away. And again you have to hit them once and jump away. And here is another black point - character control.
    There are sometimes only terrible platforms which is possible to activate only when you jump, release space, press down key and click left mouse button. I think is really hard to make control more complicated....
    And this is where I finished. I don't want to play game, where I have to fight with control. At this moment I can only say, very good idea was killed with terrible character control and wrong level/creature design. I'm going to play mark of ninja, limbo, trine 2, prehistoric 2, titus the fox. These game is no match for them.
    I want to have delete game from library button on Steam !
  22. Feb 4, 2014
    There is very little I don't like about this title. It's wise to use a game pad as the keyboard control is the only let down.

Enemy design coupled with the random layouts make for interesting and unique challenges the retro platform lover will enjoy. The roguelike elements work well with the partnering of the skill trees and armor inheritance, so as to nullify some of the frustrations
    born from titles such as Dont Starve.

Top class game. One of the most interesting gaming experiences I've had in the last 12 months.
  23. Jan 27, 2014
    Rogue Legacy is a combinination of Metroidvania and Rogue-like where you enter a randomly generated castle, try to get as far as you can before dying (with the ultimate goal being to kill 5 bosses), then repeat. This might sound like pretty standard fair, but where Rogue Legacy sets itself apart from its competition is its unusual character creation and its progression system.

Character
    Creation:
    When it comes to starting a new game Rogue Legacy offers up three random characters chosen from what basically amounts to a Mage class, a Warrior class, and a Roguish high critical rate class (later on a Lich class is also unlocked). Each is given a random spell, sometimes a special skill, and a couple of rather peculiar traits. Maybe your character is colorblind (the game will be in black & white); or your character can't see in 3D (meaning all the enemies look paper thin); or is short-sighting (everything far away is blurry); or maybe he just has gas and can't stop farting. Very strange but kinda cool. It definitely gives the game a unique charm that you won't find anywhere else.

Once you get in the gameplay feels really good; the level designs are simple yet effective; the controls feel just right; and the enemies/bosses have very balanced/fair AI to them. There is lots to explore and all kinds of treasures to find. Blueprints for new weapons/armor, runes for improving your character (ability to fly; triple jump; steal HP from enemies; etc.), or just little easter eggs like mini-games or developer goodies. It all makes for a fun platformer.

Progression System:
    The second thing that makes Rogue Legacy different is when you die... you don't really die. This isn't permadeath like you'd find in other Rogue-likes. Nope, all the money, blacksmith blueprints, and runes you've collected in your previous run will transfer over to the next character you choose to play as. You take the money you've earned and use it to buy upgrades (more HP, more damage, more armor, more skills, higher critical % chance, etc.) At first, this sounds really really cool! Unfortunately, in about your 4th or 5th run you begin to realize exactly what this means. It means that future playthroughs are not about beating the game so much as its about farming and grinding for gold. Just like an MMO you are spending your time leveling your character up to the cap in the newbie areas over and over simply so you can participate in the end-game content later on. Not only does it become excruciatingly repetitive, but it has the adverse effect of devaluing your progression. You aren't making it further into the castle because you are getting better at the game or lucky breaks are going your way like other rogue-likes. No, you are getting further simply because your character is much stronger than the previous one. You'll be easily one-shotting enemies, regenerating your hitpoints like crazy, or just tanking hits with your armor that the game can lose its fun/challenge. It makes comparing how far you were able to get in one run with that of another useless and thus takes away one of the great appeals of the Rogue-like genre.

All that said, if you can handle the grind, the game will keep you busy for a long time. Its not easy to beat with weak characters so you'll have to devote many hours to gold farming if you want to say you've beaten it. Final Score: 7/10

One final note. There is something funky about this game's settings. Some controls and keyboard keys have been hardcoded into the game and thus unchangeable through keybinds. This goes for controllers as well. Why has the developer done this? Who the heII knows. You might even think you'll circumvent this limitation by using 3rd-party joy-2-key software, but you'll still run into problems. Its impossible to disable the in-game controller if you have one plugged in thus your custom 3rd party settings will always conflict with what the game has hardcoded in. ****in' retarded developers.
  24. Jan 23, 2014
    I hate Roguelikes. It's more of a personal preference than a legitimate concern, but I completely disagree with the concept of games that erase all your progress if something, ANYTHING goes wrong. Even old DOS games like Tyrian 2000 and NES games like Zelda reflected the knowledge that players liked challenge, but didn't like doing and redoing things they'd already done several times. That's why they invented saving. Rogue Legacy, however, is marketed as a Rogue-Lite, and it makes a world of difference.

The game is about a family of knights, each with a wide variety of unique traits, some beneficial (ambidextrous, OCD), some detrimental (vertigo, near-sighted), and some pure flavor (nostalgic, dyslexic) entering a randomly generated castle to find and defeat 4 bosses and one final boss. When one knight dies, one of his/her three children take his place and tries to accomplish the nearly impossible task.

Instead of making death a hard-and-fast cutoff with no gain to be shown afterward, the game lets you keep weapons, armor, money, and even certain hidden treasures earned by the previous knight for the benefit of all future knights. At times in the game, I knew I wouldn't be able to reach the end, meaning my goal was to earn as much money as possible for my children before I died. This made the game a lot more than a slot machine to be spun repeatedly until the circumstance for victory were present. It was a long, slow climb to victory, with each and every death another step onward and upward. Granted, the final boss I ended up beating due equally to luck (ninja+gigantism) and experience from several other failed attempts, but since this was only the the final part of the game, and not the vast majority of it, as was the case with FTL and Delver, it didn't ruin the game.

The gameplay is, at it's core, simple, but with lots of little complex details. You can dash forward or backward without changing direction in mid-air. When attacking, you can't change direction unless you have a specific trait. The downward attack requires proper timing to connect without damaging the player. And of course there are plenty of spells, class abilities, equipment, and modifiers to make your knight more powerful. there's even a way to make the castle keep a consistent layout, which takes the element of surprise away from the enemy.

The graphics and audio are quite nice. The sprites are well done and consistently so. There are different themes for the different areas of the castle, and randomly placed jukeboxes that will let you change the bgm to any of the game's songs you want. I'm a fan of Pistol Shrimp, personally.

Overall, while this game is just plain good and addicting, it's also worth noting that it's perfect for laptops, as it's not especially intensive and doesn't use the mouse at all. But really, even without those bonuses, Rogue Legacy is a great game and a thoroughly enjoyable take on the roguelike genre.
  25. Dec 30, 2013
    You can now play this game on Mac, using Steam. addictive (totally compatible with Xbox 360 gamepad on 2012 iMac 27")

"One more and I stop"… no way, impossible Love this game.
  26. Dec 27, 2013
    A great game, with an incredible adictive gameplay.
    80 hours gameplay, If you want to unlock everything. A excellent character progression system, a fun sense of humor.
    With the last update, the new remixed bosses, the new achievements, the game turns into a very hard challenge. Hardcore players will be satisfied.
    The only bad point, we need more variety of enemies!
  27. Dec 22, 2013
    Let's start with the good: The graphics and animations are spectacular, very charming and cute and detailed. The music and writing are also great, with a good bit of light-hearted humor thrown in.

Now the rest: What could be a very fun game is ultimately doomed by its own rogue-like nature. You're stuck fighting the same 5 or 6 enemies. Rooms are randomized, but quickly start to all
    look the same. There's zero "legacy" from one hero to the next outside of the gold you inherit. Your character class choices for each new attempt are completely random. You could spend all your gold upgrading your favorite class and then not even see it as an option for the next few runs. Even after hours of playing, venturing into new areas or boss rooms leads a swift and unavoidable death. The real difficulty comes not from learning to recognize and adapt to enemy attacks, but from floaty controls and cheap hits. The cost of upgrades scales so sharply that you'll soon find that unless you have a series of simply amazing runs, you're unable to make any progress at all. It's a fun diversion for a night, but without the ability to steadily progress, it's hard to see myself coming back to it again and again. Expand
  28. Dec 22, 2013
    Full fledged rogue game ie a twitch game for masochists.
    Don't let the "legacy" fool you it's not any bit more accessible then a traditional rogue game.
    Some sort of 2D dark souls that I wasted money on.
  29. Dec 11, 2013
    As far as rogue-likes go this one is pretty great. While it looks repetitive the different character builds, items, and runes add a great variety. Roguelikes have become a bit more popular and with that they're also easier for most players to pick up and most play-throughs are shorter. Having said that this is not easy but it's still great to sit down and play a couple runs and not have to invest an hour into it without having to give up.

It should be said that if platforming isn't your thing then the game should probably be passed on, it's responsible for the core mechanic. Also, later on the upgrades do slow down as they get more expensive but the idea is that by switching up different classes and traits you can go into each run with a goal in mind (taking a boss or finding plans/runes).

All in all the game is quite enjoyable, it's a great mesh between a platformer and a roguelike.
  30. Dec 2, 2013
    Rogue Legacy is a 2D action platformer for the PC. The name is a play on the roguelike genre; in most roguelike games, every time you die, you start the game over from scratch. In Rogue Legacy, the central premise is that your character is the descendant of the previous character you were playing as, and you inherit their equipment, though you may not use the same fighting style or know the same class. Every time you die is a new opportunity to upgrade the next generation, and over the course of numerous deaths, you slowly unlock the entire castle and every ability and piece of equipment in the game. While the underlying idea of your character dying and your descendants carrying on in your place is an interesting one, the game itself is not good enough to make it interesting. Early on, it is too hard, and later on, it is too repetitive, making the overall experience bland. Expand

1. Mar 11, 2014
    If you look up the word addiction in a dictionary, you will find out what that word means. But the dictionary might just as well display a picture of Rogue Legacy. [Dec 2013]
  2. Dec 9, 2013
    Amazing old-school mechanics meet modern conventions.
  3. Oct 16, 2013
    Roguelike games have become increasingly popular of late and it’s great to see one which rewards you for all the time spent by allowing a form of character progression. It’s mitigated to a point by having you lose all your money before entering a castle and each purchased bonus makes all the others more expensive.