7.9

1. May 26, 2015
    Pros:
    Very rewarding
    Challenging
    New every time (rogue-like)

Cons:
    Later in the game when you unlock more characters, you'll have trouble playing a character class that you like
    The persistent items (but not spells) aren't that interesting
  2. May 22, 2015
    A roguelike game like no other, with a perfect balance between difficulty and fun. You start off with a random character each time you die, ranging from a short-sighted midget to a dyslexic giant who is colourblind. The controls in the game felt floaty, which is actually what makes the game hard. Very simple controls with very few buttons, but still fun to play. The game also introduces aA roguelike game like no other, with a perfect balance between difficulty and fun. You start off with a random character each time you die, ranging from a short-sighted midget to a dyslexic giant who is colourblind. The controls in the game felt floaty, which is actually what makes the game hard. Very simple controls with very few buttons, but still fun to play. The game also introduces a whole new side to the genre. Every time you die, to get back in the castle you have to give up all the money from the previous dungeon. As always, you enter a randomly generated castle with 3 other locations to explore and each one features a different difficulty for each one. Yes, the game is so hard that it will leave you buying a new keyboard, but there is something about it that makes you want to keep playing. There is also a large variety of enemies in the game, all with different attacks and powers depending on their level. You need a lot of skill to be able to beat the game and you need to master the strategy for each enemy to win. There are 4 bosses each with different attacks, but god are they hard especially when your just starting out. The game has a LOT of upgrades to choose from, and the amount of time you can put into this game is insane. The game is difficult so you don't get all the upgrades too soon, but so fun that it really wont bother you much. In my opinion, this game is the heart of roguelikes and a game like this really should get more recognition than it currently does. If you're fond of roguelikes, give this one a shot, I'm sure you will love it. Expand
  3. DDP
    May 3, 2015
    Fast and fun, on top of that hard to leave XD. This game is one of the best examples of 2D games and manages to reach levels of fun you would have got only with the Ghost and Goblins games! One of the best purchases ever made!
  4. Mar 12, 2015
    Brilliant little gem of a game. However you need to put the time in to reap the rewards. Get through an hour of gaming and it will all make sense. Highly addictive and very fun.
  5. Jan 21, 2015
    This is one fairly addictive game. It is hard to put down some times, as you want to continue and explore it all. To gain gold and buy upgrades. I would recommend it to every fan of the old school 2d games - it has great ideas, polished and fluid game-play. Now on to the criticism - it didn't last for me, - yes I might easily have killed over 10 hours with it, but then suddenly it feltThis is one fairly addictive game. It is hard to put down some times, as you want to continue and explore it all. To gain gold and buy upgrades. I would recommend it to every fan of the old school 2d games - it has great ideas, polished and fluid game-play. Now on to the criticism - it didn't last for me, - yes I might easily have killed over 10 hours with it, but then suddenly it felt old and boring and even unfair - I did sooo many upgrades and my powers and armor were very strong now. My level was at least 120 (which sounds insane), but the game difficulty was almost the same - again sometimes it took over 2 hits to kill a common enemy with paladin class - it felt almost exactly like I was level 1 and just beginning this game. So there you have it - I feel cheated by the game progress system.
    Overall: the game was well worth my time trying it out and I had a lot of fun with it.
  6. Nov 22, 2014
    I knew the game was going to have some grind elements to it, but I wasn't quite expecting it to really hit so hard in the last quarter of the game. Everything about the game's feel works pretty nicely, but the "economy" of upgrades feels a little off. After about 12 hours into the game, I basically was at a point where the only way to make progress was to go into the castle and hunt downI knew the game was going to have some grind elements to it, but I wasn't quite expecting it to really hit so hard in the last quarter of the game. Everything about the game's feel works pretty nicely, but the "economy" of upgrades feels a little off. After about 12 hours into the game, I basically was at a point where the only way to make progress was to go into the castle and hunt down enough gold to get a single upgrade and then repeat the process.

The controls felt tight and I never felt like I died a cheap death from bad platforming. I like the novelty of using death as a regular aspect of the game along with all the traits. Somewhere, there's a story, but I honestly wasn't following it; the final boss's monologue tries to wrap it all up, but none of it seemed to really be engaging. There's a lot of meta jokes and developer commentary in the game which I appreciated a lot. Overall everything was fun and I was satisfied with the entire package, but after beating the final boss, I don't plan on pursuing New Game+.
  7. Nov 15, 2014
    Not a terrible game by any means, but the level design is average at best and in place of any genuine challenge there is level-grinding and gold-farming

That's what ultimately bothers me about Rogue Legacy. The game treats its audience to a 'Skinner Box' experience, and when you strip away all the bells and whistles, all the rogue and rpg elements - all you're left with is a rather underwhelming platformer.
  8. Oct 14, 2014
    Original review after spending 1 hour with the game:
    Original review after spending 1 hour with the game:
    A little too hard for a everyday player. I took an hour to learn its secrets and wound up with dying every few rooms. Some rooms are generated in a way that makes you die instantly. Not fun. Items are too expensive and the drop rates so low, that you can spend 15 minutes earning absolutely nothing. Awkward fighting controls means is more of a puzzle game to hit the enemies instead of a entertaining platformer. Repetitive design that owes to everlasting respawning made me abandon it too early. What a shame. A few changes and this would be an instant classic.

New review after spending 20+ hours with the game:
    The game is very hard at first. The more you play it and the more you learn it, it becomes much much easier. Tight controls help much. It really deserves the high scores others are giving it. You just have to have a patience and a bit of skill with platformers to really enjoy it. One of the best games of 2013. Period.
  9. Oct 6, 2014
    Rogue Legacy is a 2D roguelike platformer, and one of the best roguelikes I've played. It's polished, with great visuals, sound, music, and game mechanics.

Permadeath adds a lot of great dynamics to games, but also comes with a lot of design challenges. If not done right permadeath can be both tedious and frustrating. Rogue Legacy handles this by making you keep most of your growth even after you die and start over, which is brilliant.

Rogue Legacy has some of the most fun combat I've seen in a 2D platform game. The controls are smooth, the enemies are well designed to create a variety of interesting tactical challenges, and the player has a lot of flexibility in both attacking and dodging. You can do things like double jump over two enemies, hit each with your sword, and then mid-air dash to dodge a third enemy.

Each time you start over with a new character, the character can have a wide variety of abilities *and weaknesses*! The weaknesses are creative and funny, like color-blindness, which makes the game a lot harder than I would have thought. Some weaknesses are also strengths, such as being small, which causes you to have a smaller sword that is harder to hit foes with, but also allows you to fit through narrow passages you normally couldn't fit through.

The one downside to the way you keep your character development from game to game is that death almost feels trivialized. If you live just long enough to gain enough gold for the next upgrade you want, then dying after that point is not a big deal.
  10. Sep 20, 2014
    I had to make a counter review to Bunkerfox's because it is rated as too helpful. First he says the controls are bad. This is false. The controls are not intuitive, that is to say, they do not match the smoother feeling of Castlevania. However, this is remedied easily by sticking with the game for a few hours and you easily adjust. I had no trouble buffing myself to +50% speed andI had to make a counter review to Bunkerfox's because it is rated as too helpful. First he says the controls are bad. This is false. The controls are not intuitive, that is to say, they do not match the smoother feeling of Castlevania. However, this is remedied easily by sticking with the game for a few hours and you easily adjust. I had no trouble buffing myself to +50% speed and blitzing through the castle destroying everything in my path (loads of fun btw). So yes, the controls can be difficult to adjust to if you don't play a variety of games and are only used to one platforming style.

The hero legacies are random, yes, but there's an upgrade you can purchase with gold to randomize them again. If you can't stand randomness at all, don't buy the game. The castle is randomly generated to a certain extent. The 1st area is always in the middle, the 2nd area to the right, 3rd to top, and 4th to bottom. You often will find rooms similar to ones you've played before, but each new map will be randomly laid out. The exploration phase of the game only lasts about 10-15 hours, once you've explored a whole castle, you're pretty much done exploring. It isn't like Castlevania with hidden or unlockable rooms or rooms you need to come back to after gaining a new ability. In other words, exploration is NOT a major feature of the game. The game is more about fighting, looting, and upgrading your stats.

I loved upgrading my character and trying to beat my previous high score for gold collected in 1 run each time. If you upgrade your stats to maximum, you might feel like it's a grind, but it's totally up to you.

Great sounds, decent music(gets annoying after a long time). As for the making fun of disabilities I don't think it's as serious as some make it out to be. Some aren't even real, and can be offensive if you have no sense of humor.

Amazing game, very Castlevania-esque, gave me 50 hours of fun.
  11. Sep 10, 2014
    A well made side-scrolling plat-former with a unique twist on character advancement, this game is definitely worth the reasonable price-tag. It is a full game (no micro-transactions! Nice!), so you need not fear getting ripped off. It does get a little repetitive, with its grind-based design, but is still worth the effort. A few more environments and enemy diversity would have madeA well made side-scrolling plat-former with a unique twist on character advancement, this game is definitely worth the reasonable price-tag. It is a full game (no micro-transactions! Nice!), so you need not fear getting ripped off. It does get a little repetitive, with its grind-based design, but is still worth the effort. A few more environments and enemy diversity would have made this game a classic. Nonetheless, an excellent indie game. Expand
  12. Sep 6, 2014
    Let me start this review off by saying that I'm not very good at this game. However, despite my sometimes colorful expressions after my character's death, Rogue Legacy still makes me want to keep playing.

For the most part, Rogue Legacy is a retro throwback that attempts to capture an audience who grew up playing Ghosts 'n Goblins and Castlevania. Also for the most part, the game does very well, and provides a solid combination of RPG-like progression (in the form of stat upgrades and new classes,) side-scrolling gameplay, and sometimes brutal combat. This is where my biggest complaint about the game comes in. Combat sometimes feels like a chore, and can be frustrating due to enemy spawning and floaty jump controls. Also, a few of the added traits your character can have seem to have no point, sometimes impeding the gameplay more than adding a layer to it (I'm looking at you, upside down screen!)

Overall, Rogue Legacy's flaws don't keep it from being a bad game by any stretch of the imagination. It's difficulty, while sometimes over-the-top for the average gamer, still adds replayability, and the price tag of $15 on Steam makes it worth your time.
  13. Aug 27, 2014
    I find that indie games receive a lot of praise and leniency, just for being an indie game that tried something uncommon. Games like FTL and Terraria, however, prove that we don't have to hold indie games to such low standards. For that reason, I'm going to tell it as it is: Rogue Legacy is mediocre. It consists of an interesting idea for a trait and progression system that is unimpressiveI find that indie games receive a lot of praise and leniency, just for being an indie game that tried something uncommon. Games like FTL and Terraria, however, prove that we don't have to hold indie games to such low standards. For that reason, I'm going to tell it as it is: Rogue Legacy is mediocre. It consists of an interesting idea for a trait and progression system that is unimpressive in its execution and delivered on top of a terrible platform game. I played enough of it to get a good taste (defeated the bosses etc), and I regret all of it. This is the worst kind of gaming there is: a progression system that compels you to start a new game, but the gameplay is so bad that you hate yourself every time. Expand
  14. Aug 13, 2014
    I first played this game a few months ago and didn't like it at all, but only because I suck at platformers. Later I was convinced to give it another try, and woah if it blew my mind. Rogue Legacy is the Dark Souls of platformers: once you get used to its dying and rebirth routine you'll spend hours with it and love the sense of progression. A fantastic game.
  15. Jul 29, 2014
    Such a unique game. Controls are solid, level design is great albeit difficult, and the aspect of learning from death makes it a really fun experience.
  16. Jul 14, 2014
    Rogue Legacy is a great new take on a Metroidvania style game. It's a roguelike but you get to use your gold and loot to purchase and unlock persistent upgrades across all your characters (makes it much more fun than the normal roguelike in my opinion). A very challenging game with really solid gameplay.
  17. Jul 7, 2014
    im sorry but i hate this game with a passion
    first off peopole who love it need to go play castlevania or ninja gaiden then come back to this
    im sorry but i hate this game with a passion
    second off the games difficulty is the major problem i have no problem with hard games i love broforce castlevania ninja gaiden yggdra union and there hard as balls but this game instead of using challenging and good level design decides to instead just throw a crap storm at you in order to get by as a chalenging game the platforming is mediocre to say the least its realy floaty and controls like crap the combat is also a major feature along with platforming and its just as bad you have 1 spell and you can swing your sword thats it nothing else also the spells are all stolen straight from castlevania except for the sword wall wich is useless
    however it does have some good features the graphics are very nice and building a legacy is interesting
    however the legacy is nothing more then upgrades and another major part building your manor is just a upgrade screen the classes are useless except the shinobi get the shinobi the only way to beat this game is with the shinobi the bosses are horrendus to there just bigger versions of normal enemies litteraly all of the bosses are upscaled versions of first off the visionarys second off the flaming skulls and so on and so forth the final is un original to with it just being a knight the story seems interesting at first but its a cop out and it should go burn along with this game over all the game just isnt good and by that is one of the worst its not bubsy 3d bad but its close
  18. Jul 6, 2014
    Rouge Legacy does everything Megaman with more variance. The constant change in weapons, characters, and skills require consistent adjustment of playstyle with each life. The heir continue system is a unique approach that keeps this platforming powerhouse fresh. Could not be happier. Full review later.
  19. Jun 26, 2014
    I don't know why, but I'm addicted to this game. Is an old style platform with many modern elements that make it a joy to play.From the beginning to the end is probably too frustrating, but then you have that particular session in which everything goes right, and you feel you are playing one of the best games ever.
    I think it deserves a sequel with a bigger environment, now the levels
    I think it deserves a sequel with a bigger environment, now the levels graphic is flat and boring.
  20. Jun 18, 2014
    Great 2D side-scrolling game with rogue-lite system. You can buy equipment, runes even upgrade your castle for permanent improvements of your heroes. Yes, heroes, because every time you die, you choose your heir who will follow up your adventure. There are many classes of heroes, with different spells and characteristic (your heir can be colorblind, when everything is black'n'white, orGreat 2D side-scrolling game with rogue-lite system. You can buy equipment, runes even upgrade your castle for permanent improvements of your heroes. Yes, heroes, because every time you die, you choose your heir who will follow up your adventure. There are many classes of heroes, with different spells and characteristic (your heir can be colorblind, when everything is black'n'white, or farsighted, when thing close to your hero are blur). I recommend this game for everyone who from time to time wanna chill out with simple, relaxing but challenging game :) Expand
  21. Jun 13, 2014
    Great difficulty curve. Great 2D side scroller game play. Very addicting. Doesn't do anything terribly original, (otehr than inherited traits which are fun, but not really game defining) but it nails the addicting rogue like formula. Very easy to get sucked in.
  22. Jun 10, 2014
    Conceptualmente interesante pero no especialmente bien desarrollado sus mecánicas y el potencial que podría tener. Es interesante para verlo si se lo ha comprado un amigo.
  23. Jun 6, 2014
    First of all, if you do not have a controller do not bother with this trash game. I would assume that this game would be pretty fantastic with a proper controller, however the default controls that come with it are some of the most ridiculous rubbish I've ever played with in my life. Common sense and my history of gaming make me wonder if the creator even played his own game beforeFirst of all, if you do not have a controller do not bother with this trash game. I would assume that this game would be pretty fantastic with a proper controller, however the default controls that come with it are some of the most ridiculous rubbish I've ever played with in my life. Common sense and my history of gaming make me wonder if the creator even played his own game before releasing it.

So, with that tidbit out of the way, I will admit that I really WANT to like this game. It has a good premise for an indie game and the concept is solid. However the control scheme makes me tend to quit after about 2 playthroughs due to the sheer stupidity of it. Basically, this game is a side-scrolling Metroid-esque game with hack'n'slash features. What you see is what you get really. It has quite a lot of replay value as long as you have some alternate method of control or you enjoy being defeated due to poor control schemes (looking at you Resident Evil, can't run while shooting. Makes sense in a zombie game...)

Basically you start out as some sort of 'knight' that has no real background or story and the main goal of the game is to wrack up as much gold as possible. The gold is used for progression AFTER dying. Yeah, you heard me, Not going to use that gold while you're alive. The only way to access the 'store' (dubbed 'The Manor') in which to spend all your hard (read: VERY HARD) earned gold is to perish. Once you perish, you get to pick one of three 'descendants' that have varying abilities and skills (called traits).

There is a wide array of these traits that keep it fresh and replayability high and subsequence playthroughs amusing. After perishing you are brought back to 'The Manor', a series of unlockable options, such as a blacksmithy, more health or mana, additional abilities, etc. They build off one another, with the player unlocking one making it so that three more are able to be looked at and purchased.

The monsters are pretty standard fare, hailing from NES and SNES times with predictable patterns and bullet-hell firing paths that are usually dodgable sans the terrible controls.
  24. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is cocaine. I always tell myself, just one more then im done. I'll do homework. I'll sleep. I'll eat something.
    You know what, that was a cheap death, one more. Okay, just one more.
    Sweet, just beat the game. Oh new game plus? maybe just one more playthrough... This game is incredibly addictive and challenging. I have seen people who suck terribly still trying to press
    You know what, that was a cheap death, one more. Okay, just one more.

Sweet, just beat the game.

Oh new game plus? maybe just one more playthrough...

This game is incredibly addictive and challenging. I have seen people who suck terribly still trying to press through this game. Must have for anyone and everyone.
  25. Mar 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sorry to break it to you, but if you like being spoon fed a victory, go elsewhere. This game is back in the old school, drag you through broken glass hard modes that have sadly been missing from games. This and other rogue-likes are getting more notoriety because there is a genuine challenge.

Hate the random levels? use the architect to lock in a castle design.
    Hate your blondie hero? Well, its better than IBS.

My major complaint is that it feels awkward with a keyboard. For a game being a rogue-like metroidvainia the controls should be tight as hell, but i think it conveys the desperation of one life well without making you feel like a fool for dying.

as Sir Leopold said on his death,
    "$%^$#&"
  26. Mar 15, 2014
    Here comes a computer game from Cellar Door Games that not only advances the genre of the roguelike, but also add lots of replay value after you beat the game

Using 2D side scrolling graphics, the game runs very smooth and without any hitches. The music, while dreary, adds a sense of ambiance to the game. What makes Rogue Legacy unique from your traditional Roguelike is that after your character dies to any of the game's various monsters and traps, you get to pick from a random list of three heirs, with varying job classes and traits, with more job classes made available as you spend your hard-earned gold on new perks

Just like any other roguelike, the game gets hard but the risk vs reward is well worth it. Rogue Legacy can be played with either the keyboard or a gamepad. I prefer the gamepad for this one.

At the end of the day, Rogue Legacy is one of the better, if not the best, roguelike available on Steam and is worth checking out.
  27. Mar 9, 2014
    Game is OK but it is basically TOO HARD to be enjoyable. This is made worse by the way the map resets after each death. With each death accumulated (money) progress is lost so the game basically wastes your time by denying any progress. You might die 20-30 times before you luck-out and get enough money to get an upgrade. Don't waste your time with this garbage.
  28. Vel
    Mar 8, 2014
    The Good: As far as platformers go, the graphics, sound effects, and comedy all work well. If you love platformers, this will be a pretty enjoyable game for you.

The Bad: The controls are a bit wonky, the hit boxes are annoying, and the difficulty/cost of upgrades scales too quickly. If you are an expert at platformers and have the fast-twitch reflexes of a teenager in his/her prime, you may be able to advance through the game, but for the rest of us, you will probably never end up more than 6-12 rooms deep into any dungeon. The game simply lacks the balance and polish to make it fun.
  29. Feb 26, 2014
    Excellent game, very very enjoyable, I'm not a fan of rogue type games, but this one did a great job at being a bit random with tons of twists, it was easy to get very addicted to it, wanting to upgrade mansion fully and get all the things, I very much enjoyed all the time I've spent playing this!
  30. Feb 17, 2014
    I expect game like Prehistoric 2 or Titus the Fox. But again fail. Good idea to have new character each game. You can choose clones of your previous character. It will be nice a seems to be promising idea, which allows you to make different after each death.
    But game play is like incorrectly finish student work. Terrible jumping, for simple tasks you need multiple keys what ruins character control. enemies can shoot during walls, jump everywhere, fly everywhere. There is missing any way how to improve game difficulty. It's like last level of game with hard difficulty after first door. Is useless to buy new weapons, as they can do only small damage and you have to be close to enemy.
    Enemies are not colliding with you, you are transparent for them. If you hit them with weapon, they just blink and continue in movement to target - YOU. In reality you have only 1 hit to kill them, otherwise they will start killing you. Because your body is transparent, you have to jump away. And again you have to hit them once and jump away. And here is another black point - character control.
    There are sometimes only terrible platforms which is possible to activate only when you jump, release space, press down key and click left mouse button. I think is really hard to make control more complicated....
    And this is where I finished. I don't want to play game, where I have to fight with control. At this moment I can only say, very good idea was killed with terrible character control and wrong level/creature design. I'm going to play mark of ninja, limbo, trine 2, prehistoric 2, titus the fox. These game is no match for them.
    I want to have delete game from library button on Steam !

1. Mar 11, 2014
    If you look up the word addiction in a dictionary, you will find out what that word means. But the dictionary might just as well display a picture of Rogue Legacy. [Dec 2013]
  2. Dec 9, 2013
    Amazing old-school mechanics meet modern conventions.
  3. Oct 16, 2013
    Roguelike games have become increasingly popular of late and it’s great to see one which rewards you for all the time spent by allowing a form of character progression. It’s mitigated to a point by having you lose all your money before entering a castle and each purchased bonus makes all the others more expensive.