8.0

1. Sep 9, 2010
    RUSE is a fresh, innovative RTS. It's not about APM or micromanaging units. It's about developing and executing a better strategy than your opponent. Isn't that what a strategy game should be about? Like most RTS games it primarily about MP or skirmish against the AI. The campaign teaches you the basics of the game so it serves it's purpose. One of the "professional" reviews didn't even mention MP until the site's editor forced the reviewer to do so (Joystiq). Expand
  2. Sep 9, 2010
    All joking aside, I do not know what game the critics were playing, and what they think gaming is. R.U.S.E. is first and foremost (as with all games today) a multiplayer experience. It has been designed as such, with fantastic dialogue between beta testers (of which there were many) and impeccable attention to detail, gameplay, and realism. The single player campaign lacks the fast paced run and gun people are use to, but the heavily strategic and tactical gameplay of multiplayer absolutely shines. The art of deception the game is based around gives players an endless multitude of strategies to fool foes, interact with team mates and drag you in to a gaming experience you won't forget. My favourite title of the year. Expand
  3. Sep 7, 2010
    Just when I thought I was done with WW2 strategy games, this game came along. It is truly a breathe of fresh air, and a game that I wish existed for many years. Being able to control a huge army and move them quickly on the field while maintaining realistic circumstances. This game is a must for all those who want a good strategy game that isn't un-realistic. I can see this game becoming one of the main games along with SC2 that will be played in tournaments for the determining who is the true master in RTS games. I would strongly recommend picking this game up if you are a real strategy fan or a fan of any WW2 game. I started off back in the early 90's playing close combat on the Macintosh. Since that time I have been searching for a game like it, and finally something came along which is like it, and in many ways much much better because of the scale and magnitude of the battles. But then again, my old Macintosh wouldn't have been able to do that with 32 mb of ram, lol. I hope you enjoy this game as much as I do. Expand
  4. Sep 9, 2010
    RUSE is a tabletop wargamer dream come true ! The game depicts large scale conflicts in real time and on multiple fronts. The campaign is fun, well crafted and introduce the players to the units and concepts of the game. You'll take parts in some histprical battles altough the designer took some liberty by modifying history itself. All in all the campaign's story is entertaining but not great. It does the job of connecting the missions together. Where the game really shine is in the tactics one must use to winn a battle. You have to carefully use cover, hide units in woods, village to ambush the ennemies. You have to be careful to have a well balanced army on order to be able to manage all kind of situations. The game also have a supply system in wich you receive your ressources from supply depots by roads, so, if you deny the roads to a player you cripple it's economy. The roads allow also infantry to deploy faster and make movement easier so they play an important role in each game. The ruses advertised by the game are a nice addition and are useful most of the time. You can deploy fake attacks; for exemple, you can send false air attack to a sector of the map to help reduce the air defense where you are really going to attack, spy on ennemy units, etc. All in all the gameplay is very well crafted but is slower than most other RTS, no quick rush here à la Starcraft.
    In multiplayer you can play in team against AI, coop operations or against other humans. Victory is not only acheived by crushing your ennemy entierly but also with a victory points system wich are accumulated over the course of a battle and at the end the winner is the team with the most (but a 10% difference is considered as a draw). Overall I recommend the game for any one who wants a deeper RTS experience !
  5. Sep 8, 2010
    In short while starcraft 2 is the game for the masses R.U.S.E. is the intelligent rts that rewards strategic and tactical thinking instead of rewarding mouse clicking speed like starcraft 2 mainly does.

You can have 10 clicks a minute in R.U.S.E. and still win massively. People may complain about the game being casual, but don't let short sighted people who think clicks per second equals
    depth fool you. someone seeing chess for five seconds might say it's rules are to simple to create a game with depth, and such a person will probably also say R.U.S.E. lacks depth because it removes a massive amount of micromanagement normally seen in rts, yet this micromanagement added little to the depth of the games.

R.U.S.E is closer to grand strategy than anything else, so people who complain about the game lacking depth becasue of a lack of micromanagement has not understood the point. The game is about out thinking your opponent. Not being faster at clicking at special power buttons and moving a single units behind cover. This might be called lack of depth by people used to this kind of micromanagement in games, but R.U.S.E. is about seeing who got the smarts not the reflexes.

R.U.S.E. is closer to grand strategy done in 30 min than anything else, and thank any eventually existing gods for that! Finally a intelligent game with depth that does not need to be played for more that half a day to be fun!
  6. Sep 8, 2010
    A game where you have to think about strategy and not APM. The multilayer is addictive and the single player campaign is nicely done.

If you are a RTS fan I suggest you check it out :)
  7. Sep 9, 2010
    RUSE offers tactical depth, a robust suite of multiplayer game types, accompanied with a slick interface, sound and graphics. The integration of steam is an added bonus.

A truly tactical RTS that more than meets the genre requirements, if not challenging them all too much. Despite other reviews, I believe RUSE has an addictive gameplay and tactical depth that is not bogged down by
    excessive micromanagement. This is served up with excellent visuals and a robust multiplayer component that will keep you booting up the game for time to come. With the addition of coop, skirmish and challenge modes, RUSE is a well rounded package. The campaign is a little uninspired, and at times frustrating, but it is clear the developers designed it to 'teach' players the RUSE mechanics.

Critics have considered the 'slow' pace of the game as a major flaw. In my opinion the pacing of the game is in line with other titles from the RTS genre, considering the size of the maps and (potential) scale of battles. The battles are as intense and exhilarating as any other good RTS.

I've previously played the Company of Heroes Anthology, Total War series and World in Conflict. RUSE certainly ranks amongst those titles.
  8. Sep 9, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is really good. I started playing just after midnight and couldn't stop till morning :) I have around 15 years experience in gaming so can tell you its raw good strategy with very decent graphic and super multilayer. Just wonder why "professional" magazines giving for it 80 or 50 ( SIC ! ) I hope meta critic will finally sort for only few decent magazines not childish e-gaming "wannabe" Expand
  9. Sep 10, 2010
    R.U.S.E is indeed a fresh take on the RTS genre. The way the entire battlefield is put up is just great work! It's really a tabletop game come true. Mind you, the pace is a bit slow, but if it was faster, the game would be less enjoyable. It got a good pace for what happens. The game sacrifices stuff like micro-management for a much more in depth strategy game. I think a lot of gamers who don't like the entire macro/micro-management part of RTS games, will for sure enjoy this one! 10/10, not a "full" 10/10 because of small missing details like mine laying and such. But again! Wouldn't fit into this game. Great work. Expand
  10. Sep 13, 2010
    Well it seems that the bad reviews come all from people stating that it is too hard for them. I think it is great 9/10 but reading a 0 review like "cows" or "Philc" I must counter their ignorance with a 10! If you have a proper brain and like to use it R.U.S.E. is surely your thing. Otherwise it will be a 0 for you, so please only intelligent people play the game. Maybe it should say on the box: "Not suitable for morons of any age" Expand
  11. Sep 9, 2010
    Tactic over APM or you won't win, that alone sold me the game. The game managed to allow full tactic option and strategic control with minimum clicking required. The game also feature a rather impressive game engine, you can run at max setting and has full scale zoomed in battle happening at no slow down at all even with a dated system.
  12. Sep 9, 2010
    This game is just what I was looking for. I've logged 10 hours in it already, and I can't get enough of it. It's becoming another one of my addictions online. The maps are absolutely huge and detailed, and this is most appreciated when zoomed all the way in. I've never seen anything like it, it's absolutely wonderful the way you can seamlessly transition from a high overview to the nitty gritty battlefield. The battles are brutal also, epic and lifelike.

The gameplay itself is also fantastic online. I successfully managed to bluff what I thought was a superior opponent today. I consciously made an effort to appear to be concentrating all of my forces on one side of his position, while carefully hiding my real attack force. He absolutely didn't know what hit him until it was too late. I've saved the replay as a trophy for myself too. It's a classic!
  13. Sep 15, 2010
    The pace is slow, but that's kind of the point -- it's more of a "thinking man's" RTS in that you play it much like a game of chess. There are definite counters to each unit, but mixing units in a combined-arms strategy presents unique and dangerous puzzles for the enemy to crack.

Infantry, out in the open, is easy prey for a squadron of tanks. Hide that same infantry in the woods or in a
    city and you'll see them surprise attack (damage x 3) tank columns and score several kills with RPGs. Need to counter that hidden infantry? Move a recon unit into the zone.

Even the skirmish AI presents some cool options, like setting the computer players difficulty AND setting their overall doctrine -- do they rush? Turtle? Emphasize air power? Go for artillery? Great for practicing against certain unit types that give you trouble.

Overall it's a great game with more of a grand strategy feel. Reflexes and micro won't win you the day, which might turn some people off entirely, but a solid understanding of each nation's order of battle, the terrain, and the art of deception certainly will.
  14. Sep 7, 2010
    I haven't played a strategy game this good since the first Command and Conquer. This game is an instant classic that breathes new life into the RTS genre. The premise here is that if you just build a base and produce units, you will quickly die. Why? Because of the ruses! This new element in RTS gaming makes it possible for a player to bluff your way to victory by hiding units that can only be countered by line if sight or a counter ruse. And that is just an example! There are quite a few ruses, and if you learn when and where to use them, you can become a decent player. Fail to use them properly and you will lose.

The units are decently balanced, the graphics are gorgeous, and the game is... Wait for it.... FUN TO PLAY!!!! And THAT is something that is missing from so many games these days!
  15. Sep 8, 2010
    RUSE is one of the best games of the year and maybe one of the best strategy games of all time. It takes the RTS genre and completely revitalizes it. I have been looking for a strategy game where actual strategy is a factor for the entire time I have been playing computer strategy games, and havent found anything this good since the early turn based games such as Panzer General. I hate to echo all the other reviews but "instant classic" is the best term to describe this game. Expand
  16. Sep 9, 2010
    A very strategic game where tactics are crucial. Orders per minute do not decide the battle; your decisions do. It reminds me of chess or board games like Axis and Allies and Risk--at a much faster pace and no dice rolling! Multi-player is very satisfying.
  17. Sep 9, 2010
    Finally, I've found a CHALLENGING RTS! Many a RTS, such as SW: Empire at War, Company of Heroes, Sins of a Solar Empire, I've sighed in disdain at the lackluster skirmish AI, I would always find myself searching for an AI mod to make them more challenging. On RUSE, id be afraid to do that, for the AI may become self aware. The skirmish AI on easy provides a challenge, which makes things all the much better when I play against the hard AI. And as for multi-player battles, well the deception and strategy that goes into playing is astounding. There are limitless ways you can go about crushing your enemy, which greatly appeals to me, and many RTS gamers in the community. I for one see RUSE as the best RTS this year, with large gorgeous maps, wonderful unit selection, and brilliant strategy, it truly is one of the best RTS games to be released in over a decade, hands down. Those who disagree can lay 'neath the mighty tread of my Pershing. Expand
  18. Sep 13, 2010
    you are right about this game R.U.S.E is a rts game that stands alone all other rts game you dont have to use your mind in R.U.S.E it a real strategy game its what a rts should have always been like most people like to rush not thinking on what to do and how to truly beat their opponent with minimum death to there troops i give this game a 9/10
  19. Sep 15, 2010
    It's a shame so many of the critical reviews seem unwilling to really give this fundamentally different type of RTS a chance. Most of the heavier criticism is leveled against a sluggish campaign and the "slow" speed of the battles. It simply does not do the game justice to stop there. Battle speed, for one, is very relative in R.U.S.E. as battles are frantic and energetic when zoomed in while managing one particular spot on the front. From a more â Expand
  20. Sep 15, 2010
    The game is one of the better new games available at this moment. I really enjoy playing it alone and/or with my friends. The singleplayer isn't that great, but the multiplayer makes that up.
    I just love the details.
  21. Sep 15, 2010
    Haven't played a real thinking game like this in a long time. Have to actually "think" and use real strategy. Very refreshing! It has a fast pace which makes the player think quickly and act deliberately. No time for snoozing, else you have the enemy coming up on your six!
  22. Jun 8, 2011
    Ruse a solid real time strategy title focused on large scale 'chess like' strategy with the aid the use of 'Ruses' rather than micromanagement. The single player campaign is long with the story unfolding mainly through cut scenes and missions spreading across war torn Europe. On top of this is multiplayer that includes several different modes and a large number of maps to play on. Several factions each with there own units and unique advantages add a lot more variety to the game but can sometimes make matches turn into 'rock, paper, scissors' game, which can sometimes just mean impending doom for a team. Along with the other two modes is challenge mode, including single player and co-op mission that pit you against greater odds with often limited resources, although this mode is lacking missions compared with the other two more has since been added with dlc.

Overall Ruse is a fresh look into the real time strategy genre being set on a grand scale and then bringing innovative new features this will keep you entertained for hours, although multiplayer is what will make you go back and play again and again.
  23. Sep 19, 2010
    RUSE its a innovative RTS, its about macro-managing "see the big picture" and play whit the rival head using tricks "RUSEs"

Its not about APM or micro

exellent game
  24. Sep 9, 2010
    Great game multiplayer properly co-ordinated is a joy. Ignore the joystiq review, look at the users. great fun and addictive, the joy of a surprise attack well executed is unsurpassed

competitive and lots of different ways win, buy and enjoy
  25. Sep 17, 2010
    Great strategy game, that takes more than action per minute. This is not Starcraft 2. This game requires strategy and tactics. This is a good game for someone who like to fight and play with their army rather than manage an economy and micro every unit.

So if you like to be a strategic thinker and pull tricks on your opponent to win then this is the game for you. It is about time
    there was a strategy game that focused on strategy and not micro.

This game is also very much a multiplayer game. Single player does not do it justice. To bad most of the critics focus on the single player campaign.
  26. Sep 18, 2010
    All of the 10/10 reviews have said pretty much everything.
    If you want turn-based multi-player: R.U.S.E. and real-time forget the disappointing starcraft 2 and go play the original or wait for Achron.
  27. Sep 21, 2010
    Amazing Game, everything looks Perfect :) !
    Its my first time that i play RTS game, and i found RUSE is way beyond the top. The graphics are amazing and even the sound effects. I started playing SP to get the feeling of the game play (B/c its my first time) and i'm getting better every time i play.
    Thanks for the people who worked on making such a great game.
  28. Sep 22, 2010
    RUSE goes for a whole new way of doing a RTS game which is a welcoming addition to the RTS collection. This game is another game added to the very few of RTS games which actally requires proper brains of the player rather than someone who the fastest at base building and spamming the other player with 1 type of certain unit.. The game also moves at a nice slow pace allowing the player not to get caught up in any rushing by other players which is great for people which like to properly defend and attack locations aswell as being a great way to invite players which are not as experienced from being donimated in 5 mins by a 15 year old child who plays the game for 15 hours a day. Anyone who complains about the slow pace only really belongs in the kiddy mainstream "so-called RTS" like command & conquer. On the realism topic regarding this game there is just 1-2 complaints however ive been able to look past these. One of these is the soldiers fade in and out of a appearing truck for all their movements incudling the airboune which is alittle bit of a shame considering the soldiers generally do move much slower in a combat field. The other complaint is that there is no location damage on tanks such as the rear of a tank being more venerable to the front and sometimes they drive the speed of a racing car. Apart from these minor complaints regarding the game we have a game here which should keep the realism people happy aswell as the people who dont want total realism. Im only taking off 1 point because of the minor complaints but asides from that great game! Expand
  29. Sep 23, 2010
    Very addictive and innovative game, strategic and tactical thinking more important than speed and this game is really fun to play. Ruses allowing lot of combination to fool the enemy
  30. Dec 30, 2010
    This game is a fresh revision to the world of RTS which has been flooded by the Command and Conquer series which hasn't given us anything new. And lets be honest, Starcraft 2 is the same gameplay it was 10 years ago.

R.U.S.E. is a fresh update to the series, the likes that we haven't seen since Company of Heroes. Those who complain there is no micro managing are those who didn't play
    the game, or didn't play it enough to understand how complex the game really is.

In this game, you get abilities called RUSE, which are abilities you activate such as a spy in an area who will report any enemies he sees in the area. There is the decoy army, which you can say to send a fake air force to fly at the enemy and they will shoot at them. Combine this with your real army, and the enemy wont know the fake units from the real units, thus increasing the survivability of the real units.

Thrown on top is the balance the game throws in. There is no ultimate unite, such as we see in the Command and Conquer franchise. You start off with building your base, whether it be Anti Tank, Infantry, Artillery, Tanks, or Air Base. Nothing is so powerful that there isn't a good unit to take it out. AT are ineffective vs infantry, yet infantry are easily taken out by anti air, which are easily taken out by tanks, etc etc etc.

Not to mention you need to manage unit upgrades, such as upgrading from being able to build tiger tanks, to king tiger tanks. Or from being able to build B-25 bombers, to B-17 bombers.

Another great aspect of this game is the amount of nations you can be, and how they are all very different from each other. Britain has a good amount of air power, Germany has some of the best anti tank capabilities, the French have some of the best defense structures, and so forth and so forth.

This game also requires a lot of strategy, which is one reason I think people have a hard time with it. Remember to hide units like artillery and anti air in towns so the enemy cant find them as easy, remember to keep air recon units up so you can spot incoming enemies and targeting them, and knowing when to use choice points like bridges to set up ambushes.

Forrest and Cities are your best friends for sneaking up on enemies and place ambushes. Place anti air in the forest, and then place AT guns and Infantry in cities, and ambush enemies on their way to you.

The game doesn't have as much micro managing as other RTSes, but it requires a lot more strategy. It adds a sense of realism in how you would command a military as opposed to just doing rush tactics, which don't work by the way. People who like this are the people who like games like Company of Heroes, and Iron Hearts 3.
  31. Dec 20, 2010
    What game some of these so called "critics" were playing is beyond me. I quote from GameZone " undone by dull pacing, too smart AI and enormous maps". Complaining the AI is "too smart" when there are multiple difficulty levels and you can even set the enemies style of play is an amateur comment. Also, there is a wide variety of map sizes enabling you to have 10 minute games, or two hour epics depending on your mood. And with a 25 minute time limit on ranked games anyway, the pacing can hardy be pinned as dull. Some of these critics need to be sent to their own office for review and play the games properly before their higher valued opinion is allowed to bias the scores of genuinely innovative games such as R.U.S.E. Expand
  32. Sep 26, 2010
    Despite the fact that the game lacks popularity, it makes up in originality. With limiting time, and wealth combined with deceptive factors (ruses) creates completely different scenarios of strategy each time. I am convinced that it is impossible to repeat a winning same strategy due to the changing conditions the opponent generates. However, the campaign is somewhat dull but I believe the best part of a RTS game is the multiplayer experience. R.U.S.E. provides the key nations in WW2 (except Japan) that differentiate in strengths and weaknesses. The graphics provide an extraordinary experience in the fighting, being able to see the action in vivid detail in real time. I would strongly recommend purchasing this game if you are an adherent RTS gamer. Expand
  33. alh
    Oct 15, 2010
    It's very unusual and fresh game. And it's really a strategy game. It's a bit unusual, but it's worthy to spend some time to adapt to interface and gameplay, because real multiplayer games are very interesting.
  34. Oct 23, 2010
    Great Rts game of its kind. Other than a little balance with usa its a great and fun game. Online and campaign. I cant keep my friends off my cpu to play this game. Its like they become addicted. Even when their not here they are thinking about it. Thanks Ruse
  35. Nov 8, 2010
    Ruse is innovative strategy game in a genre that has been the same as long as it has existed. It's design is fresh and everything is well done. Some people seem to think that its lack of micromanagement is a bad thing, and that its unrealistic, but I beg to differ. What kind of commander has time to tell each little unit what to do? They don't. Its up to the people on the ground to micromanage. To any fans of RTS or WWII, I would highly recommend this game. Expand
  36. Jan 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bonjour,

Pour ceux qui desirent un apercu du jeu, je tiens a dire que le jeu deborde de critiques ( bonnes comme mauvaises )
    Pour ce qui est des points négatifs :

- Une campagne beaucoup trop courte en mode solo ( J'avoue ne pas avoir chercher si une extension etait de sortie.. gratuite ou non .. )

- La synchronisation de certaines parties fait défaut on peut vite se retrouver a 1 contre 3 en multiplayers du fait d'un petit bug, il vaut mieux etre equipé d'une bonne connection.

- Chose bete, le nombre de joueurs .. Ruse est un jeu qui se developpe mais cela peut etre lassant d'attendre le lancement d'une partie pendant quelques minutes..

- Pour les Hardgamers, l'abscence d'une league E-sport..

Les points positifs :

- La vision du jeu est juste exceptionnelle ( Zoom ), pouvoir voir l'animation des differentes unités au plus prés est un plaisir. ( Plaisir limité en multiplayers ou vous n'avez pas le temps de prendre du temps, tellement il faut etre réactif :) )

- La stratégie : Pour ceux qui n'apprécient pas du fait de la lenteur du jeu, je dirais plutot que le jeu est même trop rapide. On parle de stratégie, les nations proposées disposent chacune de qualités differentes et c'est ce qui en fait un jeu a part entiere. ( nous ne sommes plus dans la version GDI / NOD de command and conquer ) - L'origninalité des ruses permettant de rendre une partie encore plus attrayante.

- La variété des unités.

- Le jeu dispose de nombreux modes de combat "escarmouche" dans lequel on trouve differentes spécificités selon le mode.. Ce qui permet de ne pas tomber sur un type de jeu stéréotypé. Non il ne suffira pas de "rusher" avec une dizaine de tanks", non il ne suffira pas de faire une dizaine de tours defensives pour stopper une attaque. :)
  37. May 8, 2011
    In an ideal world, one could have a strategy game where an arbitrary number of units may be not only produced, but also managed. There should be no necessity for "population caps", since AI would nicely manage these units, and a modern CPU would be easily able to handle any number you may produce during a course of the game.

There would be also a nice interface, that would automatically
    merge units into "stacks" of forces so that your view of the battlefield would be unobstructed.

One would desire that the game is both not too long (30 mins or an hour) and at the same time enjoys surprise manoevers and strategic depth, instead of simple click-fest, so that user can enjoy himself instead of thinking about actions-per-minute and such...

Finally one would like to always be able to completely zoom out in order to see units in a context of whole map, and also zoom in so that one may immerse in details of combat and realistic graphics.

Did you really thing such a strategy could not yet exist because of hardware limitations or lack of engineer manpower? Think again, because this is exactly what R.U.S.E. is.

I must admit that after playing this game, the other RTS titles seem a bit flat, if not impoverished, both in user interface, but also in strategic depth. Play it, and you discover that traditional RTS seem to just enjoy interface that feels like RPG with more units that gets bogged down into micromanagement, instead of bringing you the strategic depth, and tactical surprise by either rapid change of action, and explicitly facilitates subterfuge.

It is also one of few real-time strategy games that can meaningfully simulated intentional deception by much more than just a fog of war.

Players may easily manipulate appearance of their units, and also hide them altogether for a short time ("Radio Silence") in order to strike at a most surprising point.

I recommend this RTS as a best game of the year, and also a striking example of how novel game mechanics, may re-create a genre.
  38. Jun 24, 2011
    I never had any interest for RTS.

R.U.S.E changed that. This game is incredibly innovative, and got such a classy interface. This game deserved the best, but come on, videogames audience is just a bunch of no-brain StarCraft 1.5 followers. Buy it. Now, you won't regret. One of my top 10 games ever.
  39. Dec 20, 2011
    I hate these kinds of games, where you have to micro-manage little units on a battlefield, and don't get to experience any of the action yourself. However, for some reason I found myself gleefully positioning anti-tank guns into forests, hiding an airfield of spitfires, sending fake tanks into the enemy's base, parachuting troops into an empty town, building a lot of tanks ... reminds me of the days of playing C&C on the Playstation at Uni. However, this game moves at a pace that actually gives you a moment to think. Whereas something like Starcraft 2 will have you pulling your hair out with frustration, RUSE is definitely much more of a strategic game. Quite a lot of the strategy is based on second-guessing what the enemy is up to. Each unit really does feel like it has its own unique strengths and weaknesses. For example, doesn't matter how many planes you have, they will all get shot to pieces if you fly over a fortified anti-air position. So that means you can't build a ton of planes and send them over to knock out the enemy's key buildings. It's also really hard infiltrating a base with some parachute troops. What this means is that you have to fight a largely ground battle, with air-support, and you have to have the right balance of units in order to win and make progress. I suppose that's like most games, but with RUSE you feel like your unit build and positioning decisions actually have impact. Not since World in Conflict have I enjoyed a top-down real-time war strategy game so much. Expand
  40. Jan 29, 2012
    RUSE is one of the greatest games ever made. I played the betas and bought the game on both PC and PS3. RUSE is a great strategy game that will have your mind going a hundred miles an hour trying to keep up with everything going on in the game.
  41. Mar 12, 2013
    Wow, late at the party because I've waited till it was in steam bargain bin to purchase, can't believe the amount of sheer intellectual dishonesty that was spilt on this gem... Micro-management is well and good... but there are those of use who appreciate the finesse of good planning and good thinking instead of just reflexes... sure the campaign isn't necessarily the most original (a narrative picking up on the rich elements of ww2 which has been seens before but probably still has a market for it), and there could be a pace management widget... but many people fail to appreciate the subtlety of its mechanics...

Most underrated game ever, do yourself a favor and go read the worst critics, then buy the game, if your smart enough to laugh your a** off at their lack of taste and discerning... you should love this game...
  42. Jul 20, 2011
    R.U.S.E. is one of the best games I've ever played. I first downloaded the demo and I found it absolutely thrilling ! ... the story is great, graphics are fluent and scenarios quite realistic. The war playing is realistic too and the units movement is easy and effective. I strongly recommend it as one of the best strategy games ever.
  43. Nov 16, 2011
    RUSE is absolutely the best RTS in my opionion. It has the right balance of Macro managing and Micro managing. Some other RTS's such as Starcraft have too much hero and unit management and while that isn't bad, its just not my style of managing an army.

What makes RUSE great is the game mechanic. Units are highly detailed in specs, from Range, Speed, Multiple weapons (each weapon has
    a different damage output per type of target and range), Armor, and Target types. So you can imagine that it will take some time to really master RUSE. The lvl cap is 100, but levels don't necessarily indicate skill, but does give a hint to experience. However, to better gage skill is to look at one's RUSE hours played on Steam.

The map choices are great. Some maps are arena style, and just a few are historical style. Most maps are fair and symmetrical, but when you want something different, you can play D-Day, where it isnt necessarily a fair positioning. A strategy of one of the defense positions on this map could result in falling back to survive, instead of defending your position as this position is set up for a double team to begin with.

The IRISzoom engine is beautiful. Zooming in and out is a pleasure as there are no pop-in textures and everything is super smooth. Units turn into stacks of pins as if you were looking at a war map.

I'm lovin RUSE and I've gotten over 300 hours in so far with much more to come.
    Looking forward to European Escalation.
  44. Jul 31, 2012
    You will get the 'great experience' between micro combat zone and huge battle zone. This is most exciting 2nd world war game ever. Even include easy xbox360 controller UI.
  45. Jul 22, 2013
    The Best Game Ever! R.U.S.E is the most underrated game ever imo. Perhaps more succesful if released by another publisher, this game is absolutely fantastic.

Was buggy at release and it still is. Ubisoft gave up support for this game after about 6months which is an absolute shame. Looking at developers Eugen Systems giving such excellent support to their wargame franchise togetter with
    Focus Home Interactive, I dont even dare to imagine how good this game could have been with decent support.

The campgain is ok,nothing amazing. Ruse really shines in its multiplayer with 7 nations to play as and over 12 ruse cards to pick from.

1. Jan 15, 2011
    If you're still not tired of WWII-themed RTS games, give R.U.S.E. a chance. It's a nice alternative to Order of War, but don't expect it to dethrone Company of Heroes.
  2. Dec 25, 2010
    Appealing to both the single and multiplayer real-time strategist, although R.U.S.E. will be a hard mistress online. [Issue#245, p.102]
  3. Ruse is very entertaining both in its campaign and multiplayer mode. Unfortunately the story is not very engaging and feels unnecessary. The depth of the game is what makes it different from the rest of the pack. There are lots of room for clever moves and lengthy battles.