6.7

1. May 15, 2015
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    A sandbox game full of wacky companions, ridiculous storylines, and tons of missions. SR2 has much better world design and customization than 3; however, after beating the formulaic missions there isn't much to do besides activities. The only collectables are CDs to make custom playlists (most of the music sucks) and your territory control is completed passively while doing missions.A sandbox game full of wacky companions, ridiculous storylines, and tons of missions. SR2 has much better world design and customization than 3; however, after beating the formulaic missions there isn't much to do besides activities. The only collectables are CDs to make custom playlists (most of the music sucks) and your territory control is completed passively while doing missions. Probably the strongest point of SR2 is the cutscenes with their amusing character facial expressions, good camera work, and funny dialog. If you are looking for a less serious sandbox game then SR2 & 3 are both good options. Overall I think SR3 is better but they both have their fair share of issues. You will most likely have trouble getting this working because it is such a poor port. It has a lot of graphical, sound, and stability issues so be prepared to dig around for mods & fixes. Expand
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    Saints Row 2 deserves far better treatment than this badly optimised POS console port. Almost unplayable in places, suffers from awful vehicle controls (mouse/keyboard), Windows prefetching issues, and infuriating AI, however its countless technical issues can't disguise a brilliant game that has just about everything.
  4. Jun 21, 2014
    Not a bad entry in to this genre, fans of the open world mission style crime game will no doubt enjoy but a dodgy PC port as well as an average story hold it back.
  5. Aug 14, 2012
    Terrible port of a fantastic game. You have to install the Gentlemen of the Row mod to fix up all the problems of this buggy mess. (Don't worry, the mod can be configured to be just like the vanilla game, without any useless modifications done by overenthusiastic modders.) Otherwise the story is great, the city feels great, the activities and the customization are fun.
  6. Oct 6, 2011
    While the writing in Saints Row 2 may not be as compelling as GTA IV, and its visuals not as polished, the game does offer some redeeming gameplay mechanics, such as the ability to use random pedestrians as meat shields and throw them into oncoming traffic. Most of the missions are a lot of fun. I must admit though that the "boss battles" are ridiculously easily. And there are a lot ofWhile the writing in Saints Row 2 may not be as compelling as GTA IV, and its visuals not as polished, the game does offer some redeeming gameplay mechanics, such as the ability to use random pedestrians as meat shields and throw them into oncoming traffic. Most of the missions are a lot of fun. I must admit though that the "boss battles" are ridiculously easily. And there are a lot of fun things to do around Stilwater which help boost your Respect rating to unlock more missions and progress the story even further. Customization could offer a lot more -- and this is what surprised me the most -- because there is more stuff to buy (mainly clothes) in a game like GTA: San Andreas than there is in Saints Row 2. Not a big fan of the music in this game either. The game has been patched and that supposedly fixed a lot of the bugs that people were complaining about as well as adding 16:9 resolution support. As far as PC optimization goes, Saints Row 2 was no doubt built to be played on consoles, but for its low price on Steam, it's practically as steal. Expand
  7. Jan 16, 2015
    There was a free weekend for the entire Saints Row franchise and I already had Sr3 and 4, so I decided to give this one a go!

Pros: The open world is huge and a joy to explore, there are lots of places you can walk into, lots of activities for you to do and its just generally impressive. The characters might not be the best, but in my opinion, they are really memorable and (mostly)

Pros:
    The characters might not be the best, but in my opinion, they are really memorable and (mostly) live on to be classics in the series.
    There is a mod called "Gentleman in the row", which fixes a lot of the problems mentioned below:

Cons:
    The controls are bottom line HORRIBLE. When walking and in combat, its OK, however when driving, they are absolutely abysmal and slippery, much worse than in GTA IV.
    The graphics, even for the time, are not very good. Character models look dated and textures are fairly weak. Yes, the shadows are good, but very basic. Even though I am not one to fuss over graphics, Saints Row 2 does look very dated in comparison to other games and even later entries in the series.
    The frame rate is all over the place. Sometimes, it is really high, then its really low. Explain that????

Overall, Saints Row 2 is a very good game, however, PC issues really bring it down. I recommend downloading the gentleman of the row mod to fix some of these issues as it really makes the game feel a lot better. The game gets an extra point for the gameplay after installing the mod.

Original Score: 6/10
    Score with mod: 7/10
  8. Oct 15, 2013
    A couple years ago I played this game at a friends house on the PS3, so when I got this game on sale I was pretty excited to re-visit the experience I had when playing on the PS3.

Bottom line is that this a TERRIBLE ported game. The graphics are terrible, even on the HIGHEST settings, the car mechanics are lazy and stupid, and when driving around a corner or just going straight, decently fast the frame rate goes extremely low for some reason even though my computer can run tons of other games that have better graphics on HIGH, this is an utter disappointment.

Not to mention having to get enough respect to play a mission is beyond annoying, I spent 30-an hour usually just to get enough respect to play a 15 minute mission which drives me INSANE.

In the end, even though the missions are fun and challenging it doesn't make up for many of the technical glitches, random frame rate drops, car mechanics and annoying respect.

Would get this game when is on a big sale but otherwise I would buy this on a console, or just get Saints row 3 or 4.
  9. Aug 11, 2014
    This is the worst Console to PC port ever. The fps is very bad, you need a PC from 2014 to run this game without any kind of lag even though this was released in 2009. The driving is just horrendous. Controls overall are **** Graphics are not that good too. There were some goods things though. The customization is awesome, missions can be fun and free roam is awesome. Sometimes this gameThis is the worst Console to PC port ever. The fps is very bad, you need a PC from 2014 to run this game without any kind of lag even though this was released in 2009. The driving is just horrendous. Controls overall are **** Graphics are not that good too. There were some goods things though. The customization is awesome, missions can be fun and free roam is awesome. Sometimes this game CAN be fun but you really have to overcome all of its flaws to enjoy anything in this game. Simply put, it's not worth getting this game on PC just get it on a PS3 or Xbox 360 Expand
  10. Jan 4, 2015
    I cannot, in good faith, give this title higher than a 7.

It's my favorite in the series, one of my favorite games of all time even, but the PC optimization was horrid. Even with GoTR mod installed, this port still struggles to struggle at times.

Don't like the idea of Gat Outta Hell? You're not alone. Play SR2+SR:TT instead, and forgot the series ever happened after that.
  11. Jan 5, 2013
    There is such a thing as gameplay being too fast paced. The human brain can't react quick enough to the speed that this game moves at. Horrible PC port too.
  12. Feb 11, 2012
    The game was okay. I like the fact that you get to build the gang up, as in Saints Row Three you're in more of a futuristic world that pisses you off. It's a pretty bad port, as the driving is terrible and the glitches and bugs are horrendous. I only have 2.3 hours of playtime, and I don't plan on increasing the number.
  13. Jan 6, 2013
    I'll give the game itself an 8.5, but the port knocks it down to a 6. It's not a very good PC port. The worst flaw is that it's unplayable on Windows 7 unmodded. Runs about twice as fast as it's supposed to. Fortunately, I was able to find a mod (Saints Row Powertools) that fixes this issue.
  14. Feb 9, 2014
    I really like this game, but it honestly could be better. The controls are pretty good, the graphics aren't though. They are almost like the sims 2 graphics where you don't have too much detail to anything. The storyline is also pretty weak not much to it to say it's good. If you free play this game, you can find total enjoyment toward that. Otherwise if you want a good storyline andI really like this game, but it honestly could be better. The controls are pretty good, the graphics aren't though. They are almost like the sims 2 graphics where you don't have too much detail to anything. The storyline is also pretty weak not much to it to say it's good. If you free play this game, you can find total enjoyment toward that. Otherwise if you want a good storyline and graphic and whatever else good things gamers find in games, this game lacks in all of them. (if that made any sense) I wouldn't say I regretted buying this game at all because it's good entertainment, just not a Grammy winning game or anything. Expand
  15. Nov 2, 2014
    i played this game after playing sr3 and i must say this game is mediocre it does not compare to sr3 and evan less so to my 3rd favorite game of all time sr1 this game is mediocre at best and i think it would be better of not made
  16. Nov 12, 2010
    Saints Row 2 is a gritty third person sandbox style adventure which plunks the player into the seedy gang life of a generic urban landscape. The game begins with the player breaking out of prison and beginning a non-linear journey to rebuild his gang to its former glory. The massive environment, over the top ridiculous characters, free form quests, and support for online coop play areSaints Row 2 is a gritty third person sandbox style adventure which plunks the player into the seedy gang life of a generic urban landscape. The game begins with the player breaking out of prison and beginning a non-linear journey to rebuild his gang to its former glory. The massive environment, over the top ridiculous characters, free form quests, and support for online coop play are clearly this titleâ Expand
  17. May 23, 2012
    This game is like non-serious Grand Theft Auto. Gangstas, black people, pimps, hos, flat jokes, absurd weapons, more black people, nice cars. Every black stereotype presents in this game, excluding watermelons and chicken wings. But the PC port is bad - game runs fast-forward, so you must use speed-hack to control speed, keyboard controls is awful (glad I have a 360 controller), it canThis game is like non-serious Grand Theft Auto. Gangstas, black people, pimps, hos, flat jokes, absurd weapons, more black people, nice cars. Every black stereotype presents in this game, excluding watermelons and chicken wings. But the PC port is bad - game runs fast-forward, so you must use speed-hack to control speed, keyboard controls is awful (glad I have a 360 controller), it can crash after cut-scene, leaving you unsaved and outraged. But I love it, it's the type of a game I was searching for a long time Expand
  18. LomanJ
    Feb 10, 2009
    I just have to say, the game is very good, but some peoples posts are showing complete noobness. Danny G, mate the keyboard control issue you are talking about is no way near as extreme as you've made it out to be. No one listen to these exaggerated, and obviously frustrated comments. The controls are NOT anything like that with keyboard. Your trying to run the game on a laptop, that I just have to say, the game is very good, but some peoples posts are showing complete noobness. Danny G, mate the keyboard control issue you are talking about is no way near as extreme as you've made it out to be. No one listen to these exaggerated, and obviously frustrated comments. The controls are NOT anything like that with keyboard. Your trying to run the game on a laptop, that explains it all. Mate with those specs, I'm surprised the game starts, the 4GB of RAM does NOTHING over 2GB. It's a Turion first of all, and a GeForce 7600 "GO" do you realise that's probably as powerful as a 6600GT, which is now obsolete hardware. Why am I even continuing typing? Expand
  19. JDawg
    Feb 10, 2009
    To the Digital-Vice guy, you are a game reviewer? Well... you shouldn't be, period. You would've been better off leaving out the place you review for, because you just lost all credibility from your comment. The game is great fun, but needs a patch or two and QUICKLY, being only $39.99 on Steam is a massive advantage, as long as they keep supporting the game and patch it fast. To the Digital-Vice guy, you are a game reviewer? Well... you shouldn't be, period. You would've been better off leaving out the place you review for, because you just lost all credibility from your comment. The game is great fun, but needs a patch or two and QUICKLY, being only $39.99 on Steam is a massive advantage, as long as they keep supporting the game and patch it fast. Considering I haven't had any of these technical issues so many others have had with GTA: IV I can only feel sorry for them. And if you've written off the game, due to the issues, your really missing out. But if your complaining that a game doesn't run with a system close to or even JUST exceeding the minimum system requirements, you haven't obviously been around the PC Games long enough. A game will NEVER run even GOOD on a system with the minimum requirements. It will RUN the game, but that doesn't mean it will be playable, it will at least start though. This has been the case since the 90's. It's nothing new, and you all have to start realising the minimum requirements aren't going to provide you with a flawless playable FPS. It's annoying, and misleading, but that's the way it always has been. You should look at a games recommended requirements, as being the minimum requirements to have the game running at a playable rate. I have the recommended requirements for GTA: IV and I get 40+ FPS on average, but everything is at LOW and view distance is at around 25 this is @ 1680x1050. The 2 games are very different, and TRY to be. So comparing them directly is silly. GTA has always tried to be the more life-like, and I prefer that. The physics are absolutely amazing, and with SR2 it's more about providing a fun time no matter what your doing in the game, rather than simulating a life-like story. Which is just as great, but has much more technical issues than GTA IV. Which HOPEFULLY gets fixed, because it really is/can be a GREAT game. But it needs a few weeks. Expand
  20. chrisr
    Feb 23, 2009
    Saints Row2 seems to be ok to me. It plays good on my Q8200 quad core and my HD4870x2 graphic card. I think SR2 a hole lot better game than GTA4 at least you can save your progress on SR2 where as GTA4 you cant unless your connect to windows live I brought GTA4 to end up taking it back because it would not connect the windows live server after downloading all the patches and trying for a Saints Row2 seems to be ok to me. It plays good on my Q8200 quad core and my HD4870x2 graphic card. I think SR2 a hole lot better game than GTA4 at least you can save your progress on SR2 where as GTA4 you cant unless your connect to windows live I brought GTA4 to end up taking it back because it would not connect the windows live server after downloading all the patches and trying for a whole week to get it work but with no luck I took my copy back and got my money back. So for now I am happy with SR2 unless I find issues later on in the game. Expand
  21. TylerL
    Jan 1, 2010
    Great Game but as everyone else is saying, it is a horrible xbox 360 port to pc, there not bugs, but more like frame skip, even on a gtx 275 it struggled.
  22. memyself
    Jan 26, 2009
    A great fun and very crazily funny game that will keep you enjoying every sandbox madness and much more, every ka-boombing mission
    it's only flaw: you need a powerful pc even to run it on everything low: My -XP intel core 2 duo 2.5ghz, 3gb ram, nvidia 8600m gt 512mb- runs it ok on low until i get in a car and smash stuff, then it goes "not so smooth"

On the surface, Saints Row is an easy game to hate. Actually, I have a feeling that a lot of players and reviewers will write this game off for the sheer stupidity at play at all times. But to do so would be a big disservice to a game that tries hard to do a lot of things and show you a good time. Did we have a good time? Definitely.
  2. This game is little more than a lowbrow, yet humorous, thug-life simulator.
  3. A real challenge to... you know, that other sandbox game... Saints Row 2 expands on the original with a dizzying level of complexity. Stilwater is back and bigger than ever - there's so much to see and do you'll be entertained for hours.