• Publisher: GameTap
  • Release Date: Oct 18, 2006
8.7

1. Dec 27, 2014
    This one is a bit tricky to pin down since it's the first episode. It's so long a ago I played the original game it's hard to make any meaningful comparison between them. I do however get some added nostalgic value out of this just because it's Sam & Max game and mostly very well made one also.

As stand-alone game it gets many things right. Dialog is funny, the environment and characters are wacky (although maybe somewhat less so than in the original game) and most puzzles can be solved without resorting to walkthrough every five minutes. Items are also used sparingly and are typically easy to find. There's really no puzzles where you have to guess which two of your 50 items need to be combined or situations where you can't find some critical item since you clicked wrong pixel.

This is the longest of the three first episodes (haven't played the rest yet). Mostly because you spend a bit more time on exploring and learning stuff. Still, it can easily be played in one evening. Story-wise this might be the weakest of the three, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

1. I was pleased to find that SME1 contains all of the humor, atmosphere, and genuine fun of the previous game.
  2. A game worthy of the name Sam & Max. Even better is the fact that we'll be getting more every month for the next six months! I'll say it again, Sam & Max: Culture Shock is a must-buy.
  3. It’s good to see Sam & Max back in action, but the fun is over all too quickly. Let’s hope the plot improves in the next episode.