7.2

1. Apr 11, 2014
    Played Scourge Project (This game's Beta/precursor) and loved it. It is a real cover shooter. I liked the art style. I like the weapons. I liked the co-op campaign, (not many games had a co-op campaign it seemed back then).

This bring the graphics and so much more - so up to date - And owners of the original got this one for free!!!
  2. Apr 22, 2014
    A free re-release on Steam if you own the first one. Co-op is probably the best way to play the game but the bots you get on single player are OK. Reminds me of older title in the way it plays - but it's fun in a kind of Rainbow Six: Vegas kind of way. If you are looking for a light-hearted blaster then this won't hurt to have a look at. A bit like the feel of Starbreeze's SyndicateA free re-release on Steam if you own the first one. Co-op is probably the best way to play the game but the bots you get on single player are OK. Reminds me of older title in the way it plays - but it's fun in a kind of Rainbow Six: Vegas kind of way. If you are looking for a light-hearted blaster then this won't hurt to have a look at. A bit like the feel of Starbreeze's Syndicate reboot - which was OK too. Price makes this a 10 though Expand
  3. Apr 22, 2014
    This is a budget release - third person space shooter - usual stuff about alien laboratory and that sort of science gone bad thing. Third person is nice and works well - the game's main trick is the cover system - like shooting around corners and that. Quite good fun. It's not a polished as more expensive games but it isn't 40$ it's 4$ - so yeah. Defo worth the price of a beer!
  4. ave
    Feb 7, 2015
    I initially tried to play Scourge Project 1&2 and failed, mostly because the screen resolution was desperately set to "lowest". It was a blast to play Doom like this, but in full 3D, you just feel visually impaired. Anyhow, Scourge : Outbreak solved this problem, so I finally was able to play it.

Aside Left 4 Dead, it was the second time I played a "third person / team based / tactical fps" but since I love real-time party-RPGs like Dungeon Siege, or turn-by-turn tactical RPGs like FallOut Tactics, this one sounded engaging.

The gameplay is pretty straightforward : choose one of the 4 characters, use a tutorial if you need and get some backstory (nice addition), then run into action with your fellow heavily armored buddies, receiving mission updates along the way.

It seems that the game makes a good use of modern FPS tropes like choose-2-weapons-to-carry and glue-yourself-behind-boxes. The orders you can give are contextualized : depending on where, who or what you are targeting, you can have the closer team member take cover, focus on an enemy, open a door, use a turret, revive another team member ; without losing the pace of the fight which is great. Overall, each team member is a decent shooter and never forgives to save you even under heavy fire.

The special abilities are kinda neat, but for me, the real pleasure of the game was to consider each confrontation as a puzzle : where should I position each team member in order to assault or defend? Sometimes an sub-optimal line of sight could cost your team frequent death/revive cycles.

The enemies are challenging enough, even in beginner more. Soldiers can take advantage of the level and bosses requires some strategic planning. But the strange design decision of infinite critters that mysteriously vanish when you reach the next checkpoint somewhat disrupted the experience.

Since the storyline is purely functional and the characters kinda stereotypical, playing solely for the story won't reward you. It seems that there is a leveling mechanic, granting you points in different categories like "short range kill", "head shot", "assistance" but I don't know if it grants you with bonuses except for the powers.

To wrap it up, Scourge Outbreak is a decent team-based shooter, with a nice game flow, and correct level design. Nothing truly memorable though, so it feels more like a filler.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. May 15, 2014
    A game that follows the beaten track of third-person shooters, avoiding big flaws at the same time. If you are a fan of the genre you can consider buying it, mainly because of its very low price.