Shadowrun Returns PC

7.4

1. Feb 8, 2015
    Turn-based strategy RPG combo is pretty much the greatest thing ever. The setting, writing, and runs are just fabulous. Shadowrun: Dragonfall is even better!
  2. Aug 4, 2013
    After completing the game and spending some time working with the User Generated Content tools, I'm afraid I have to drop my original score from a 6 to 4. Below is my original review with some minor revisions to address the change in score:

I was really stoked for a reboot of the CRPG version of Shadowrun, especially after Microsoft and FASA tried exploiting the world for a terrible FPS years ago. I loved the PNP version and played both the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games so when I first heard about this I was excited.

Unfortunately, if you're looking for a CRPG in the style of older ones, keep walking. Shadowrun barely qualifies. The game offers the typical Shadowrun classes but then makes them completely arbitrary and therefore meaningless, since a "perk" of the game is that you can make your own "class" by assigning your own points anywhere. It took a modder to create a loot system because the devs themselves didn't put it in (mobs always drop the same items all the time in the base game), and there's no difference from character to character or "choice" to "choice". Most of the time spent will be spent reading, not playing, and combat is so simplistic, even on the harder difficulty levels, that you have to be a complete moron to fail at it.

For the classes and skill point themselves, they're ultimately meaningless. Dump enough points into health and one attack type and you'll win. If you want to play the game on "EZ-Mode", remember these two words: Street Samurai. "Stat" checks to accomplish things in the game are exceedingly rare, and stat checks in dialog trees are pointless because they always funnel you to the same place without adding anything of real substance. You can't augment your specific class by hiring Shadowrunners e.g. a hired Decker cannot unlock a datapad that requires Decking so Shadowrunners are basically just cannon fodder to make the game even easier.

Then there's the save game issue. Saving by checkpoints, causing players to repeat entire sections of game (mostly reading the same dialog over again) simply because the devs couldn't be bothered to add in a simple quick save, state save, or save on exit capability is ridiculous. Case-in-point: The game crashed, hard, early on in my first Shaman (in the Redmond Barrens), and the save system was so borked that it hadn't even saved, at all. About an hour of play was completely erased, leaving me to start over from character creation.

I'm sorry to say that this game is more akin to reading a b-rated, poorly written graphic novel than playing a game. There's little connection with the characters, the game is broken down into completely linear chapters with few side quests to do, player agency is minimal, and the writing bounces between well crafted and bad fan fiction. Credit where it's due, though: the background art is amazing and the music is top notch.

Originally, I had said "save your money and wait for a sale, or wait for user generated content to make the game worth purchasing". However, after playing with the UGC toolkit, I can't even recommend the game for community content. This is because the toolkit, while expansive, doesn't allow content creators address the fundamental flaws in the Unity engine itself. All addons are going to be as linear as the original main episode, and the RPG elements will always be lackluster because these are core components in the engine that simply cannot be "edited" through the toolkit. There will never be a community "open world" addition because the engine simply cannot allow for it. Even the BEST user generated content for SRR will suffer ALL of the same foibles of the core game.

If you're looking for nostalgia, just replay Fallout 1 or 2, or pop in Shadowrun for SNES or Genesis on a handy dandy emulator and save your money for a better game. I guess Harebrained can at least be happy in knowing that a 4/10 is still better than what I'd rate Shadowrun the FPS.
  3. Dec 19, 2013
    I went into this game having no prior knowledge of Shadowrun other than some general knowledge about the setting. I have to say this game has made me a fan, extremely well written and well put together campaign. My only complaint is that it feels very very short for this type of game, I was just getting into it when it ended, which was extremely disappointing. The combat and characterI went into this game having no prior knowledge of Shadowrun other than some general knowledge about the setting. I have to say this game has made me a fan, extremely well written and well put together campaign. My only complaint is that it feels very very short for this type of game, I was just getting into it when it ended, which was extremely disappointing. The combat and character development is interesting and the challenge was sufficient on the higher difficulty settings. I can't wait for their next official campaign and to try some user created ones. Expand
  4. Jul 27, 2013
    There's a lot of criticism on this game. Some is unjust and some is valid.
    If you like a game with a good story and nice tactical turn-based combat this is a game worth playing but not without its' shortcomings.
    Here's some silly critiscism: - The game has too much text. there's no such thing as too much text! - The game has terrible graphics Are you kidding me? Beautiful handcrafted
    There's a lot of criticism on this game. Some is unjust and some is valid.
    Here's some silly critiscism:
    - The game has too much text. there's no such thing as too much text!
    - The game has terrible graphics Are you kidding me? Beautiful handcrafted graphics and very good animations for an indie game!
    - You can't save whenever you want Well, that's how games should be, there are consequences for doing mistakes! Dark Souls anyone?
    Here's some valid criticism:
    - The game is short
    - The story is linear and your decisions don't really matter
    - The game is too easy
    All of the above will be fixed with custom campaigns, so in the end there's pretty much nothing to whine about...
  5. Jul 26, 2013
    I'd been looking forward to Shadowrun Returns since first hearing about it's kickstarter and waited and waited. Now that it's a reality, I am quite pleased. First and foremost, my favorite thing is the atmosphere and world creation. SR does an incredible job of realizing the world of Shadowrun. It takes no time to treat you like an ignoramus and paints a natural picture of the world youI'd been looking forward to Shadowrun Returns since first hearing about it's kickstarter and waited and waited. Now that it's a reality, I am quite pleased. First and foremost, my favorite thing is the atmosphere and world creation. SR does an incredible job of realizing the world of Shadowrun. It takes no time to treat you like an ignoramus and paints a natural picture of the world you occupy. Hearing casual talk about magic and trolls in an environment occupied by machine guns is refreshing. This makes way for a fantastic and well written story that feels a bit noirish, with your main character acting a bit like a detective. The primary tale has you trying to solve the murder of a friend whose pre-recorded a message asking you to find his killer, with a handsome reward waiting.

The game opens with a customization that makes you feel as though you've just delved into the PnP RPG of yore. You can customize your character, picking from several different and distinct fantasy races. You then can use Karma points to upgrade your character and build them as you see fit, whether it's a deckker built for hacking computer systems, a shaman specializing in magic and healing, or a street samurai, specializing in combat. My own personal tastes had me create an elven street samurai gifted with natural charisma.

Gameplay is comparable to last years Xcom, where you and up to three other runners, which are made up of important story characters or ones you hire. Once in combat, you have several option to choose from, between close and ranged weapons combat, magic, healing, movement, and so on. The gameplay is fairly simple, though strategy can be complex. You will across an assortment of enemies, and will have to play intelligently to keep your characters from dying.

However, combat is only one aspect of gameplay. You will come across other problems you will have to solve, such as navigating conversations and investigations. While the story is fairly straight forward, how you get from point A to point B is up to you. Examples include fighting, complying with, or bribing characters to have your way. Multiple choices in this game are less about multiple reactions and more about picking the best solution that suits you. In my case, my highly charismatic elf is gifted at talking his way into getting what he wants, though he also specializes in combat.

Maybe the best part of SR is the map/game builder. You have all the tools you need to create your own chapter in the Shadowrun saga. It goes a long way to making the game completely worthwhile and having long lasting value. And in case you might think it's overpriced, the game is only about $20, and it's worth every penny. For any fan of the older games, this is very much a worthy game to the title it holds.
  6. Apr 25, 2014
    I've always loved the Shadowrun universe since playing it on pen and paper back in the day. This game stays true. Well designed and written. I'm a big fan of the series.
  7. Jul 25, 2013
    I'm really enjoying this game. It seems like a lot of people are eager to judge it based on expectations for a baldur's gate like game, a skyrim like game, or other things that just seem completely off.

To me, it feels closer in combat to xcom or fallout. I was worried it was too complex to get into but have already started digging it I meant to start out making a samuri decker, but just through the skill system ended up making a pistol toting shaman and have loved finding spirits to summon in my surroundings. It's rare that a game gets me out of my intentions and it feels like the system itself is shaping my experience. I like the sound a lot, I like the character's quips, and I'm brought back to fond memories of the SNES game. Anyway, check it out for yourself.
  8. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is everything I hoped it to be. It has an extremely captivating and fun narrative that'll pull you in straight away, always giving you a hunger for more. The gameplay is fun and although it would have been cool if it were deeper, it feels enough like a proper old RPG like Baldur's Gate or Fallout to captivate me. Graphically the game is beautiful as well; the textures areShadowrun Returns is everything I hoped it to be. It has an extremely captivating and fun narrative that'll pull you in straight away, always giving you a hunger for more. The gameplay is fun and although it would have been cool if it were deeper, it feels enough like a proper old RPG like Baldur's Gate or Fallout to captivate me. Graphically the game is beautiful as well; the textures are of high quality and the top-down perspective is well-executed.

An excellent RPG that will immerse you in its story and world before you know it.
  9. Jul 26, 2013
    While I support the developers for returning to the isometric turn based RPGs, I'm very disappointed with the result. The game is 100% linear. Your choices don't matter. You have to replay the same scene (up to 30 minutes) after you had to close the game due to RL distractions or simply not feeling like continue playing at the moment. I'm going to wait a couple of months for at least theWhile I support the developers for returning to the isometric turn based RPGs, I'm very disappointed with the result. The game is 100% linear. Your choices don't matter. You have to replay the same scene (up to 30 minutes) after you had to close the game due to RL distractions or simply not feeling like continue playing at the moment. I'm going to wait a couple of months for at least the save anywhere functionality. For now I will just uninstall it. Expand
  10. Jul 26, 2013
    A nice tactical RPG with excellent music and backgrounds. The character animations aren't great (though not terrible either) and there is a complete lack of any voice acting, but overall the story is very enjoyable and the dialogue is well written.

More side quests would be excellent, and we will probably see a healthy modding community start building many side quests either as extensions of the main game or as their own stories. The character customization and loot are fairly simplistic, and the interface seems like it really had tablets in mind (good if you're playing on a tablet, so-so if you're on a PC). Loot from enemies would have been an excellent addition, even if much of it were just fenced for extra Nuyen.

One very poor design choice was to make saving only occur between "levels" or the loading of new maps. A save state during gameplay would have made much more sense, and for those who feel like that's cheating to constantly reload to attempt something difficult they could have included a "hardcore" more in which death is permanent and a complete replay of the game/level is required.

For the price ($20 at launch) this is a pretty good game, certainly no AAA title but enough to keep me entertained and excited to see what the modding community comes up with, which will probably end up being as good or better than the main campaign, which I only wish were a bit longer and had significantly more side quests and exploration instead of railroaded 99% of the time.
  11. Aug 7, 2013
    Just finished the game; Overall I enjoyed the experience quite a bit. The main campaign that comes with the game "Dead Man's Switch" runs about 12 or so hours. I truly enjoyed the game's story and tactical combat; however in my opinion only Hard and Very Hard difficulties offer any challenge. So here are some Pros and Cons:

Pros: - Great Storyline - Good atmosphere - Tactical

Pros:
    - Great Storyline
    - Good atmosphere
    - Tactical Combat (on Hard or Very Hard)
    - Pretty Solid Dialog

Cons:
    - No Save Game; only checkpoint save (Modders have already figured out how to change this)
    - Very Linear
    - Lack of dialog consequences; Need to believe that dialog options matter
  12. Jul 25, 2013
    It's a game designed with iOS in mind. UI is oversimplified. Moreover no manual save, no loot, no inventory, in a freaking RPG. All in all it seems very lackluster with the goal of being a quick money grab.
  13. Jul 26, 2013
    The lack of player controlled save system is the only major downside to this top down turn based rpg.

Hopefully that's something modders can address there is however a charecter importer to bring your avatar into as many player created missions as you want (mod tools included with base game and integrated with the steam workshop) If nothing else this is a solid investment at it's price for what it has the potential to be.
  14. Dec 6, 2013
    Backed it on Kickstarter and have to say i was expecting more.
    I've finished it, tried some of the user content never picked it up again.

Since seeing it's release on the iOS market. And re-analyzing the game.
    I can't help but feel the PC market was NEVER there audience on Kickstarter and the aim was to always make a tablet product.

Worth a playthrough for $5 wouldn't spend anymore.
  15. Jul 28, 2013
    Been a fan of Shadowrun since early 90's and was looking forward to this game. As I can forgive the straightforward story where player only controls the fights, the worst thing in this game is that there is no save game option. So basic thing in gaming and devs "forgot" to include it.
  16. Jul 26, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns brings the post apocalyptic world of Seattle back to life, brought to you by the people that started it all in the first place more than 20 years ago.

While there may be some tropes from modern day RPGs such as massive inventories and phat lootz dropping every 3 seconds not present, the streamlined interface and focused game play allow the story and setting to take a much more prominent role. Shadowrun Returns is a triumphant return of the Shadowrun universe to the electronic mediums.

There are some very minor points that i found missing from the Pen and Paper game, such as Stun and Physical damage, but all in all, Hairbrained Schemes has done a wonderful job of putting together what is needed to take me back to days gone by with friends sitting around a table, rolling handfuls of 6 sided dice, dodging Lone Star and working for whichever Mr Johnson happened to be paying the bills that particular week.
  17. Aug 5, 2013
    I want to like this game, I do. But this game doesn't want to like me. It insists on making me read pages and pages of unskippable, unnecessary dialogue (written by some Hideo Kojima protege), only letting me actually play the game for a few minutes at a time. I usually play a game because I want to PLAY a game, not read a book, 3 sentences at a time, on a 5th grade reading level. TheI want to like this game, I do. But this game doesn't want to like me. It insists on making me read pages and pages of unskippable, unnecessary dialogue (written by some Hideo Kojima protege), only letting me actually play the game for a few minutes at a time. I usually play a game because I want to PLAY a game, not read a book, 3 sentences at a time, on a 5th grade reading level. The whole time I was "playing" this, I kept thinking about how Fallout 2 did this whole thing so much better, and did it so very, very long ago. And Fallout 2 at least had some spoken dialogue, too, and that was practically a DOS game! I get the impression that this thing is more of a nice portfolio padder for Weisman than a game meant for public consumption. Get the game if you love the shadowrun universe. Skip the game if you like games. Expand
  18. Aug 9, 2013
    The game is pretty short and is relying on user generated material to pad out the length (which I think is lazy of the developers). Game is very old fashion design wise and looks like a game from the late 90's early 2000's. Encountered a couple of minor bugs. I'd recommend waiting until it's on sale before buying it. Waiting will also mean more time for user content to be generatedThe game is pretty short and is relying on user generated material to pad out the length (which I think is lazy of the developers). Game is very old fashion design wise and looks like a game from the late 90's early 2000's. Encountered a couple of minor bugs. I'd recommend waiting until it's on sale before buying it. Waiting will also mean more time for user content to be generated which is what this game seems to be all about. Still in a market where old school RPGs are rare this does hit a certain sentimental spot with me which is why I give it a 6/10 instead of a 5 or lower. Expand
  19. Aug 16, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a good game if you like older CRPGs like Baldur's Gate or Fallout 1 and worth checking out, especially as UGC begins to come out. It may not have the flashy graphics of a TES V: Skyrim, but SRR frankly doesn't need them. My only issue with the graphics are the character models, which look generally ugly. Here is certainly room from improvement. The storytelling isShadowrun Returns is a good game if you like older CRPGs like Baldur's Gate or Fallout 1 and worth checking out, especially as UGC begins to come out. It may not have the flashy graphics of a TES V: Skyrim, but SRR frankly doesn't need them. My only issue with the graphics are the character models, which look generally ugly. Here is certainly room from improvement. The storytelling is great, though highly linear and the story is a bit short.
    A big plus is the game's editor, which is quite powerful and while not as userfriendly as the Aurora toolset (NWN 1), it's far from being unwieldy.

The game's main issue is the utterly horrid save game system that allows for auto-saves only and those occur only upon a map change. This is something the developer will have to look into.
  20. Jul 26, 2013
    Kickstarted this game from day 1 as it's A) Shadowrun which I love in PnP B) The editor they promise reminds me of the good old NWN heydays. And while I don't regret backing (15$ was it?), I can't say I'm satisfied by the game.

As it is right now sadly it does not deliver. Pros: - The modding function appear to be nearly as powerful as promised - The story is so far very enjoyable

As it is right now sadly it does not deliver.

Pros:
    - The modding function appear to be nearly as powerful as promised
    - The story is so far very enjoyable

Cons:
    - Lack of Save system
    - Lack of Loot/inventory system
    - Poor implementation of PnP Shadowrun rules (classless system where you can be the perfect hero in every possible skill. Yay Elder Scrolls vomit)
    - Other various UI annoyances like switching weapons/scrolls/matrix programs
    - Lack of consequences for the choices you make

What flaws there are to the campaign isn't all too important to me, as I still remember NWN1's horrendous single player campaign, and it's still my favourite game after spending 6 years on UGC.

What really ticks me off is the flaws that sadly can't be fixed by plain modding. Granted, I haven't looked completely in depth yet. But as it seems the game as a whole does not support saves, is built for an iPhone UI instead of a Desktop UI, and has a wack implementation of PnP rules the core itself is damaged and probably unfixable by modders.

I doubted for a long time what score to give this game. But in it's current state, I can't possible go any higher than a five. I hope in a few months custom content and patches by the developers will convince me otherwise.
  21. Jul 30, 2013
    I have to admit that I am an RPG gamer of old and remember the likes of Fallout and Baldur's Gate very fondly and this brought the memory of those games flooding back.

It has a compelling film noir style story set in a steam punk world which really steals the show. It kept me engaged and interested through the approximately 10 hour game time. The script is enjoyable and there were some characters I would love to have more time to get to know (particularly Mr Kluwe). The dialogue reminded me of fellow indie game Gunpoint, which is no bad thing.

If there was one negative it would be the save system. It's a bit loose and hard to really grasp where the game saved. That said, I played through the whole thing in two days so not much need for saving really.

Overall, highly recommended and one of the most enjoyable games I've played in some time.
  22. Aug 4, 2013
    Great storytelling and visual atmosphere. Background graphics are sharp and simple, whereas character graphics are a bit dated. Overall a great old-school Shadowrun experience.
  23. Dec 18, 2014
    Old school isometric rpg adventure with bags of character a great plot and plenty of modern innovation and enhancements. Looks great, plays great and will have you immersed in this bizarre dystopian future for hours upon hours.
  24. Jul 26, 2013
    A mediocre game, with what looks to be a great engine behind it.

Could be a great game in 6 months after there is a reasonable amount of user content available for it, but I don’t know how reasonable it is to expect the community to put together a good game…isn’t that what we paid for?

The music is excellent.
  25. Sep 20, 2013
    A pretty fun game, especially since I came in with no expectations. There's little replay value, as the game revolves around a couple mysteries that just cant hold my attention the second time around. Still, the system is fairly interesting, and combat is ok.
  26. Nov 23, 2013
    There's a lot to like about Shadowrun Returns. Not the least of which it is a huge amount of fun. Fun marred by some silly but painful issues but still fun.

What Shadowrun does right is the turn based game is simple but still tactical. The story moves fast and leaves me compelled to read all the text boxes. A little mediocre are the graphics and more so the sound effects. Not a

A little mediocre are the graphics and more so the sound effects. Not a big issue unless you're expecting something that looks like XCom: Enemy Unknown.

What it does wrong is unfortunate and honestly feels like it could have been fixed with a couple of weeks more effort. This game only auto-saves. And those saves are few and far between (generally 15 to 20 minutes of game-play). This can be quite frustrating when a simple battles turns into a run of bad dice rolls and a character you didn't want dead ends of up dead.

Or, more annoyingly, when you need to shut down and spend quarter of an hour hunting for the next save point (Why not save when closing the parties locker?)

The next big issue (again a small programming issue) is that I run a higher than usual resolution but can only zoom as if I was running a much lower resolution leaving everything looking tiny including interactive icons. This is exacerbated by character dialogues that change the camera zoom. And there is a lot of dialogue.

All in a all a pretty awesome game almost broken by two small issues. Oops.
  27. Mar 18, 2014
    This game succeeds because it captures the spirit of Shadowrun. The balance isn't quite there and sometimes the gameplay feels slightly limited, but it feels like Shadowrun and that's very important. It also succeeds in making an environment to create Shadowrun adventures easily and is a very promising start to something that was probably published in something like a beta state.
  28. Jul 31, 2013
    The Good: Atmosphere, variety of character options, decent music, good story, nice writing and, presumably, future community made content.

The Bad: Character options, whilst varied, don't seem to matter much in terms of gameplay. Very limited and basic combat with no real strategy available or indeed needed. No exploration. Poor A.I. Finally, there's no challenge even on hardest difficulty setting since I stumbled around like a clueless fool and still only died once.
  29. Aug 2, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is an isometric tactical RPG reminiscent of classic RPGs like Fallout, Neverwinter Nights, or Arcanum. The game takes place in a cyberpunk Seattle populated with fantasy creatures, magic, and high technology. Right from the start, the game world sucks you in with beautifully detailed levels and characters. Surprising for some, this game features no voice acting.Shadowrun Returns is an isometric tactical RPG reminiscent of classic RPGs like Fallout, Neverwinter Nights, or Arcanum. The game takes place in a cyberpunk Seattle populated with fantasy creatures, magic, and high technology. Right from the start, the game world sucks you in with beautifully detailed levels and characters. Surprising for some, this game features no voice acting. Instead, brief narrations often accompany NPC dialogue which do a great job sucking you into the world. Few modern games have writing as good as this, and yet, your dialogue choices are still lackluster. Every response you can give is essentially a variation of "Alright" with varying degrees of attitude. Player choice is essentially non existent as the game is highly linear. Levels are cramped and there is rarely room for exploration. The few side quests there are are purely optional, but you'd be a fool not to do them as they often provide essential cash. The interface is largely good but certain mechanics, namely spell equipping, could have used more information. The leveling system is fine but Charisma is a largely useless stat. Character class balance could be better but overall isn't bad. Mages often become little more than heal bots unless you're on a higher difficulty and riggers leave a bit to be desired. Deckers (hackers) have limited combat usefulness but can enter the Matrix and hack systems thereby gaining control of turrets, opening locked areas, or shutting off security cameras. Anyone familiar with the recent X-COM reboot will be familiar with the turn based combat. There are varying degrees of cover and you expend AP to perform various actions. The game is considerably less challenging and more forgiving than the classic games it emulates so well, but the game never felt too easy or too hard. Unfortunately, there is no manual save and you are forced to rely on a checkpoint save. Messing up often means restarting an entire mission making playthroughs on higher difficulties more of a chore than it needs to be. The story is interesting though predictable. The saving grace of this game, provided people care to take the time with it, will be the mods. Already on Steam are a few interesting additions to the game and I look forward to see what else the community dreams up. If you're big into classic RPGs some of Shadowrun's design choices will upset you more than a bit, but for everyone else this is an enjoyable (if brief by RPG standards, 9-12 hours) experience. Expand
  30. Jul 28, 2013
    It was refreshing to experience a game that focused on the story. Visuals and music are also nice conceptually but the music's repetitiveness gets really annoying along the way. Beyond that, regrettably, there isn't much to Shadowrun Returns to complement its story. Regardless how much more content will be released after now, that won't change the really boring, at its core unchallenging,It was refreshing to experience a game that focused on the story. Visuals and music are also nice conceptually but the music's repetitiveness gets really annoying along the way. Beyond that, regrettably, there isn't much to Shadowrun Returns to complement its story. Regardless how much more content will be released after now, that won't change the really boring, at its core unchallenging, slow-paced gameplay. Open world or linear? Doesn't matter, I wouldn't have explored because it would have taken so long to navigate the characters there, to wait for the slow UI, to wait for the slow animations (spells being even slower), and fighting casual battles, slowly advancing your characters from one cover to the next cover. It feels like they just unpersonally copied the gameplay-design of the newest X-COM-game but obviously failed to clone it because of the lack of more resources.
    It should be a lesson that this indie-game (at least from my perspective) failed right where the designers tried to copy the style of the mainstream-industry: copying X-COM, and trying to adapt Shadowrun Retruns to the "so-succesfull" casual mobile platforms, creating an interface and gameplay that screams "tablet-game"!
  31. Jul 12, 2014
    Extremely linear, doesn't feel like a real RPG - more like a point & click adventure w/o the puzzles and combining the items. It looks a bit like a mobile game... which it is. Though I was playing on PC. Combat is OK - I was surprised how little there was, which is actually a pleasant surprise (story and characters are more important to me). Writing is good, I enjoyed both theExtremely linear, doesn't feel like a real RPG - more like a point & click adventure w/o the puzzles and combining the items. It looks a bit like a mobile game... which it is. Though I was playing on PC. Combat is OK - I was surprised how little there was, which is actually a pleasant surprise (story and characters are more important to me). Writing is good, I enjoyed both the descriptions, flavor text and the dialogue. What killed the game for me (and is the reason for this low score) are the bugs which prevented me from finishing it. I was playing a Decker and had Black ICE follow me to the real world, was stuck on combat mode forever and after I got past that I found a jackpoint to which I could not jack in. What's the point of playing a Decker if everything Decker-wise is broken? I can only imagine how frustrated people must have been with the autosave system, fortunately I came to the party late. I cannot recommend this game in its current state and would be angry if I backed it up on Kickstarter. I did not, but I still paid for it, I wish I could get a refund on Steam for a broken product. Expand
  32. Aug 25, 2013
    It's a very good game, that brings back unique RPG mixing science and magic in dark futuristic setting. Shadowrun Returns is a worthy successor to it's predecessors with very fun and addictive gameplay.
  33. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a great throwback to isometric RPGs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate. The released module's storyline is interesting, and offers a fair amount of replayability through different class/skill loadouts or dialogue choices. Combat is engaging, and plays similar to the recently released XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which in my book isn't a bad thing. Many of the systems in ReturnsShadowrun Returns is a great throwback to isometric RPGs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate. The released module's storyline is interesting, and offers a fair amount of replayability through different class/skill loadouts or dialogue choices. Combat is engaging, and plays similar to the recently released XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which in my book isn't a bad thing. Many of the systems in Returns are also very similar to pen and paper Shadowrun. A couple valid complaints that can be leveled at SR are that it has a checkpoint save system, and it is a bit combat centric, though the latter can easily be avoided in future modules. Anyway, what's been released so far is well worth the $20 admission fee, and the user-made content being generated guarantees SR a place on my hard drive for a long time to come. Expand
  34. Nov 10, 2013
    Not many hardcore RPGs are made nowadays. I've spent nice time playing this game. However, I think that the ending in main campaign was incomplete. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I had this feeling that it could have been something more. Though, the game all in all was fun to play, you always can try campaigns made by others and the game reminded me of first & second Fallout, whichNot many hardcore RPGs are made nowadays. I've spent nice time playing this game. However, I think that the ending in main campaign was incomplete. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I had this feeling that it could have been something more. Though, the game all in all was fun to play, you always can try campaigns made by others and the game reminded me of first & second Fallout, which I'm going to play again. Dear God, I love RPGs! Expand
  35. Jan 11, 2016
    Usually, i can easily round a score to a whole number in a ten-scale system. Shadowrun Returns, however, is right in the middle between 7 and 8. It is above 7 but not yet at 8. So here it is:
    75/100.
    PROS: Good story, interesting visual style, nice music (although limited to 3 or 4 tracks), some good characters. CONS: Specialty does not play a role, extremely simplified
    75/100.

PROS:

CONS:
    Specialty does not play a role, extremely simplified tactical point-and-click combat, linear story, a ton of reading (no voice-overs), not well-paced in terms of sequences between reading the story and running tactical missions, very lacking on explaining the Shadowrun universe.

Overall, a good RPG, which almost makes it into solid. Main things that prevent it from doing so are the linear non-branching story line, childish tactical combat, offset pacing due to burdensome amount of reading.
  36. Sep 22, 2013
    10/10 that is my valuation. For an independent, Kickstarter-based game, it is a pure gem. The story is really involving, the mood is amazing, and of course the game-mechanics are also well-defined. It could be polished here-and-there, the graphics/animations could be better, some bugs were also present (not game breaking), but overall in its category this game is simply outstanding. I10/10 that is my valuation. For an independent, Kickstarter-based game, it is a pure gem. The story is really involving, the mood is amazing, and of course the game-mechanics are also well-defined. It could be polished here-and-there, the graphics/animations could be better, some bugs were also present (not game breaking), but overall in its category this game is simply outstanding. I recommend it to everybody, who loves cyberpunk, RPGs, turn-based strategy... Thank you, Harebrained Schemes (and Jordan Weisman) for creating this thrilling world+journey for me to escape everydays for a few days and nights:))) Expand
  37. Jul 27, 2013
    It's...adequate. The story is just compelling enough to keep you going, the UI is functional, though not impressive, the graphics decent though not flashy, the animations...well, ok the animations are somewhat sub par. Overall, it does the job. Good enough.
  38. Apr 3, 2014
    A fairly flawed game that I wanted to like, but the controls are so clunky and slow, and the game so 1-dimensional that I can't give it better than a 4.
  39. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is wonderful for anyone who appreciates a good story in a game: fans of the old classic Fallout games will love this. I've been playing all night and its 6:30am now and I can't wait to get back in to the game. The story is incredibly interesting and the characters are very well designed. there is a mix of humor and suspense, the visuals are awesome and the music is top notch.This game is wonderful for anyone who appreciates a good story in a game: fans of the old classic Fallout games will love this. I've been playing all night and its 6:30am now and I can't wait to get back in to the game. The story is incredibly interesting and the characters are very well designed. there is a mix of humor and suspense, the visuals are awesome and the music is top notch. The devs set out to make a game about what shadowrun is about: immersion and story. if your version of a good game is action and ironsights move elsewhere: this is a thinking mans game.

the reason it gets a 9 and not a 10 is it has a few flaws: the equipment/magic screen is terrible: you need to visit a shop to equip and unequip weapons and spells. This is especially jarring for spellcasters like shamans. Shamans are supposed to learn their spells from their mentor spirits, not from the quick-e-mart!
  40. Jul 27, 2013
    I just finished the game. The ending story is nice but the ending itself was poorly done. The game is too easy all along. There's no replay value to the main story since it's so damn linear. Kill forward kill. It's a game built for consoles. I'm pretty sure they're going to release this on xbox and such and that's probably why it's so easy. The UI is oversimplified. The combat gets veryI just finished the game. The ending story is nice but the ending itself was poorly done. The game is too easy all along. There's no replay value to the main story since it's so damn linear. Kill forward kill. It's a game built for consoles. I'm pretty sure they're going to release this on xbox and such and that's probably why it's so easy. The UI is oversimplified. The combat gets very repetitive once you got the moves down. The buffing system is annoying as hell, with rebuffs every few turns. Expand
  41. Jul 27, 2013
    I have just completed my first play-through of the "Dead Mans Switch" campaign that is the main campaign of the game.

In terms of value for money this game is definitely worth it, the story is good and the combat engine is like a better, functioning X-com. There's no spoken dialogue but the writing is very high quality and the type of person who enjoys these crpg's will probably enjoy having their imagination fill in the blanks.

The pacing of the game does seem a little off and some of the skills can seem a little overpowered, you'll find yourself becoming very strong very fast even on the higher difficulties. I didn't find I had a problem with the checkpoint system and not having a save system did stop me from save scumming. But I think it should have had a proper save system, some of the levels drag. However -most- of the checkpoints I would say are within 10-20 minutes of one another.

Overall the game engine and editor will prove to be the best things out of this project I feel. The game, while solid doesn't really live up to what could be extracted from such solid mechanics.
  42. Aug 7, 2013
    I wanted to really like this game, but unfortunately the reality fell short of my hopes and expectations. Being a kickstarter backer for this game, what I had hoped for was somewhat of a sandbox experience in which I would have plenty of side quests along with the main storyline, but instead was handed a short, linear campaign with a couple of side quests along the way.

Having said

Having said that, the game is fun, the main story line tells a solid story that feels like a Shadowrun story. You want to hate the villain, and you find your friends in an unlikely place. The combat is clean, engaging, and fun. The ability to hack into systems offer an interesting aspect to the gameplay, and I found myself wanting more opportunities to do creative things with it. Unfortunately, there were not multiple paths to achieve your goals. For example, one would hope you could creatively use hacking (called decking in the game) or magic (there's a similar astral plane that was never implemented in the game) to achieve your goals through slightly different means. This is, without question, one of the great untapped potentials of the game.

The game editor offers a lot of possibility of making your own sandbox experience, and thankfully, you can import your existing character if you are so inclined. The fact that it supports Steam Workshop works strongly in its favor, and already there are a few new stories to explore, as well as additional tools and assets for modders to play with.

Lastly, I found the experience a little quirky. Objects you can interact with has icons hovering over them, but the icons faded, and sometimes were not very responsive in coming back when I moused over the object again (I'm not sure what all that is about).

In summary, I'd say the game is good, but when taken on its own, the campaign's linearity and the fact that the main campaign is a bit short relative to similar games in its genre, pulls it back to "mediocre" territory. The editor offers the game strong hope for replayability though, and I look forward to Shadowrun Returns gaining a new life once the modders get ahold of it. I think they can make Shadowrun Returns what it truly could be now a great tactical RPG platform to tell amazing stories set in the Shadowrun universe.
  43. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is dreadful. It takes linear gaming to new, never before seen levels, has extremely dull and simplistic combat, and because it has no manual save system, if you die and go back to a checkpoint, you'll have to reassign any karma points you had since spent. Just about the only positive thing I can say about it and the reason I didn't give it an even lower score is that the writingThis game is dreadful. It takes linear gaming to new, never before seen levels, has extremely dull and simplistic combat, and because it has no manual save system, if you die and go back to a checkpoint, you'll have to reassign any karma points you had since spent. Just about the only positive thing I can say about it and the reason I didn't give it an even lower score is that the writing is actually good, and because with the editor maybe someone somewhere might make a story good enough to suffer through the dreary combat again. Expand
  44. Jul 25, 2013
    I am sorry but this game is utter crap. Its like a linear graphic novel with no impact on the story or choice in the dialogue.

The interface is made for tablets and doesn't work well at all with the pc. The combat is way too repetitive and offers little feeling of reward. Barely any customization at all. Certain playstyles are rewarded more than others meaning if you decide to

The interface is made for tablets and doesn't work well at all with the pc.

The combat is way too repetitive and offers little feeling of reward.

Barely any customization at all.

Certain playstyles are rewarded more than others meaning if you decide to play it not the way it was made for you are not going to have much fun.
  45. Jul 25, 2013
    The game is good, but there are some major down points being glossed over by fan-children or sales representatives.

1) No save anywhere system. You can and will lose up to 30 mins. of progress because you did not hit the checkpoint. There is no save after a certain time either, its only on checkpoint, so if you have to do something, or are otherwise interrupted, you end up going back through a lot of dialogue and decisions you have already made, not just combat.
    2) Unlimited ammo. Got a sweet rocket launcher? Shoot it forever.
    3) Extremely linear; hopefully the user created campaigns are better.

Still probably a good game for a Shadowrun fan; if youre not a fan, you might want to wait for a sale.
  46. Jul 28, 2013
    the game is very good but ok maybe it could have been much bigger and all that but still a very good game, i would wish we would get a skyrim like game with cyperpunk/sci-fi theme.
    im happy its more story driven, because mostly when i play skyrim and gta or open world games i just play the quest except maybe just in the beginning, but i used to run around doing nothing in GTA when i was younger. and the loss of voices doesn bother me much i usually click through them when i finish reading the subtitles because im much faster then the voice actor reading them, but its still good to hear their voices. and now im just looking forward to more storys and stuff from mods and it would be nice if the devs would put quicksave in the game, i don't understand that isn't in every game today, i have kid and its good to be able to quicksave if you have to stop playing for some time instead of having the game on while you leave. but other then that a very good game and if its so bad why don't you just make a better one.
  47. Jul 29, 2013
    Not bad. I certainly felt that its setting and world was unique, I mean, nobody else has tried to mix DnD with cyberpunk. Writing's decent. Combat's great, and the environment's are gorgeous. Plus it's got plenty of shelf life with its editor.

There are a few problems to it. The environment can obscure certain areas at the bottom of the screen, there's no ability to traverse floors, Speechcraft while serviceable, is fairly no-thrills and it can be a bit difficult to control units close to each other in battle. Plus the main campaign kinda felt pretty short. Finally, its checkpoint save system was not fun to use.

Still, I enjoyed it. A good respectable return by the franchise.
  48. Jul 26, 2013
    The game is great if our materialistic "me" society hasn't damaged you. It's linear. It doesn't have great graphics. It uses a checkpoint system. Somebody mentioned losing 30 minutes due to the checkpoint system. i call BS on that. If it takes you 30 minutes to redo something you just completed you are doing it on purpose. 10 minutes, tops.

There is a tool set. I was under the

There is a tool set. I was under the impression from the get go that the campaign was going to be a teaser and the real game would involve user generated content. Thus it was delivered.

I don't care for the lack of options in the options menu, I would have liked to see some key bindings. It sits at a 7.7 and I think it's deserving of that. If you don't like retro style games, turn based combat, linear story lines then I wouldn't suggest this game. I'm 30 years old, this game really brings me back and I'm loving it. If you happen to have played the snes Shadowrun title and you enjoyed that you'll definitely enjoy this as well.
  49. Jul 26, 2013
    interesting design, good story elements, great nostalgia value, so why such a low score?

because i find myself not even wanting to play it due to the unreliability of the save system. playing for 25 minutes and have it crash? or suddenly need to shut down the game and leave? well get ready to lose all of your progress no matter what. no common autosaves or manual save function. (the ancient "save point" system was more reliable than this. i understand manual saves giving to much power to the player, but it's not hart to have a good auto-save system. look at dark souls, you can't exploit saves like in skyrim, but damn well wherever you are, you can quit and feel safe that you are going to pick up in the same spot without losing 20 minutes of gameplay.

heck, get to a new area with shops and stuff? better quit now, you can't adjust your stats and inventory before calling it quits.

it is just impossible to play this game comfortably when you don't know whether or not you are safe to play it, unless you have hours to dedicate. even then, it's unreliable for whenever you have to quit. just got to a new area, and going somewhere in half an hour? you can't be sure you'll be done it time. don't enjoy that sense of discomfort looming over your head do you?

all in all, a great game devastated by some unnaturally bad game mechanics.

recommend not buying unless they patch it.
  50. Jul 25, 2013
    This is a welcome update to a RPG classic. I got my Elf Mage all ready to go and was, for the most part, enjoying the game until I realized there are no Steam achievements. What the drek?! I'm happy to support this game and while I know it's irrational to not play a game due to a lack of admittedly arbitrary achievements (what can I say: I'm OCD about this), not including them these daysThis is a welcome update to a RPG classic. I got my Elf Mage all ready to go and was, for the most part, enjoying the game until I realized there are no Steam achievements. What the drek?! I'm happy to support this game and while I know it's irrational to not play a game due to a lack of admittedly arbitrary achievements (what can I say: I'm OCD about this), not including them these days just seems lazy (or Nintendo) so I'm tapping out of Shadowrun. Back to XCOM. The developers say they may add them later to which I say I may play it (and revise my score) later. Expand
  51. Jul 29, 2013
    Summary: A great game with a well written story that can only get better and more rewarding as user generated content becomes available. Highly recommended!

I have to say that people making claims here that the company "should have done more" with the budget they had clearly have NO IDEA how expensive making games actually is. Let's just consider some game budgets: GTA IV $100 million (over 50 times the budget and delivers an open world AAA experience), L A Noire $50 million (over 25 times the budget and delivers full voice acted story based action game), Baldur's Gate $4.5 million (about 3 times the budget, isometric, mostly text conversations with a little audio, large scale and mostly open world, no user content tools). So what has been made for under $1.5 million? Erm... Dragon's Lair, Pac-Man (including marketing), Penny Arcade Adventures Ep 1 (only $1 million). I think Shadowrun Returns delivers in spades compared to those games. An excellent job by the developers.

I enjoyed the engaging story most of all, but I also enjoyed playing a character that was more powerful in the Matrix (Cyberspace) than in real life until I beefed up pistol skills to match; I thought that this was a great way of making those characters valuable to the team beyond the odd extra option in a menu. I can live with the limitations of the game, given its budget, because it delivers so much if you are prepared to look past the faults.

Loved it and would highly recommend it.
  52. Aug 8, 2013
    Amazing game, really well designed great dialogues, music, and best of all combat system Xcom style. And infinite number of missions thanks to the user generated content. I like it more than fallout or skyrim I can't really put it down
  53. Jul 29, 2013
    Personally I likes the game a lot. The game improved a lot, but due to the budget restrictions it did not became a 10! There should be a lot of features included, that it would be excellent. Look at the differences
    I will sum some of the differences between SNES version and Shadow run Return.
    Snes: Battle is button mashing. New: A lot of choice like fire gun, robot, use items like
    I will sum some of the differences between SNES version and Shadow run Return.

Snes: Battle is button mashing.
    New: A lot of choice like fire gun, robot, use items like heal or grenades, use spells. hide

World Snes: Can move around more freely and revisited places.
    New: game world cannot be revisited after entering a new quest area. Places can be revisted depending on how the game is build up. But that can be changed with the game editor I guess.

Loot Snes: Can loot dead people
    New: Bodies go away.

Earn Karma snes and New: the same. Just do certain things to earn it.

Character customization New: much more options like Decker software which are your spells in the digital world. Personal stats improve the ability of drone or enable you to use certain hardware

snes version: No editor
    New: game editor!

Snes: NPC's move around
    New: most NPC stand around and just talk.

New saving: It's mainly done after you goto a new area. No option to save in between.

End verdict: 8, I enjoyed the Snes version a lot. And I enjoy the new one even more, but would like to see small improvements by adding new features into the game, thaen it would be awesome!
  54. Aug 16, 2013
    Love the setting, love the look, love the gameplay. My only complaints are that its a little short and a little buggy. Neither of which should put you off snapping it up. Its well worth your time & money.

Plus with the Berlin expansion and community created content I reckon there's a lot of mileage left.
  55. Jul 26, 2013
    Like every game, this isn't for everyone. The default campaign is short (took me slightly north of 10 hours without skipping sidequests), it has a check point system instead of save anywhere, lack of lootable corpses, and no voice acting. If none of that bothers you, it's worth a look. The story isn't bad, and there's a lot of dialog.

My main complaints are as an RPG, it's kind of

My main complaints are as an RPG, it's kind of lacking content. The campaign is very linear, not a lot of tactical depth to combat, no ability to customize anything except a handful of consumables on party members, nearly all hired runners lack any personality, and reactivity is pretty sparse (ie special dialog for race/gender is rare). However, where this game will really shine is future content. It shipped with an ugly but powerful editor that allows modders to fix certain things (more open world questing and lootable bodies for starters). The Berlin DLC is also planned to be more open ended.

Overall, a shallow but solid default campaign. The best of this game will come to the surface in the coming months.
  56. Jul 25, 2013
    This game delivered exactly what it advertised it would. A spiritual successor to the SNES game, and it stays true to the pnp lore and a bit of the gameplay. Nice customization, and a fair story for $20. Add on the ability to create content, and this is one hell of a deal.
  57. Jul 31, 2013
    I submitted a review of Shadowrun Returns very recently, but now that I have beaten the game, I feel the need to make a redaction and give another review.

I was a huge fan of the SNES title. The look, sound and atmosphere of the original was something I had never experienced before and I fell in love with it. 'Returns' does a fantastic job of capturing the flair of the original- the locations, lore and terminology will immediately bring an old fan back. The art is fantastic, the music is catchy and appropriate, and the battles are fair yet challenging. The story is very immersive, and does a great job at drawing you into it.

Aside from my minor gripes about the save system, the linear nature of the game itself and a few glitches which caused me to restart, it was a rather solid title. However, the one thing which is the real killer is the length of the campaign. I read a few other reviews with the same opinion, and I must agree: the ending is VERY abrupt. By the time you make it to the final battle, it will honestly only feel like the end of act 1 rather than THE end. The game builds the plot to a head, spends so much time fleshing out its details and things to come that when you succeed in "battle X" youre expecting it to lead into 'all hell breaks loose' mode. But that mode never comes. You succeed in finding the killer, and even though the universe has blown up around you with many other much-more-important events, the game just ends with a condescending pat on the back. It is.....disappointing. Its the equivalent of watching "Empire Strikes Back" and then never seeing "Jedi". Its the ultimate gamer-tease, and in a title so set on its dialogue and story, its like ripping the last 50 pages out of "Return of the King". That is to say- its a fantastic ride until the end, where youll find yourself wanting more.

Im not sure whether to like or dislike this game now, just because of the length which it is. I originally gave it an 8, but after the game cuts itself off at what seems like halftime, I cant give it more than a 6 now. Very disappointing, especially considering that the Kickstarter alone brought in nearly 2 million dollars to fund an independent game. Heres hoping for some DLC or at least some good community-made content.
  58. Oct 10, 2013
    Amazing game. I didn't play the original game (in fact I didn't even know anything about it 'till I played this one). The first few seconds I was skeptical about me really getting to play the game 'cause of the very retro artstyle and high emphasis on reading and reading and reading more texts...

But then I just decided to give it a chance... and boy am I glad I did. This game has the

But then I just decided to give it a chance... and boy am I glad I did.
    This game has the soul that games like FF7 had. It has a lot of charisma in it and how the universe, the story, the soundtrack (AMAZING) and the design become one and sucks you right in all the way to the end make this game outstanding.

It's not perfect tho, you seem to be able to make a lot of decisions but it's all a lie, almost nothing you choose to do actually change anything in the game.
    And at some point I got a bug that froze the mission and got me stuck to the point I had to load an earlier save, like some script wouldn't happen or something... and that's a bad thing.

Other than that, it's one of those ''special games'', I really liked it.
  59. Jul 25, 2013
    Loving this game, lovely writing and gorgeous art. Really captures the feel of the source material.

About four hours into the campaign and really enjoying the detective story feel. My only criticism so far is the lack of a quicksave, instead relying on a checkpoint system. However this is minor, especially compared to the huge boon of the bundled editor, I cannot wait to see

However this is minor, especially compared to the huge boon of the bundled editor, I cannot wait to see what the community does with it. Like Skyrim and Neverwinter, I can really see this game evolving with the input of the fans.
  60. Nov 11, 2013
    Linear, only autosave, XCom clone, made for smartphones. That's about it.

I really, really love the artstyle though, and I just hope the Berlin campaign will improve everything, but since it's an iOS game and the devs are clearly focused on casual players and a quick cash grab, I highly doubt it.
  61. Aug 9, 2013
    This was the first "major" kickstarter campaign I funded that came to fruition, and the first one where I can honestly say "money well invested".
    For it's limited budget and short development time, the game delivers exactly what it intended to. Solid, old school roleplaying in a well-loved setting. It catches the atmosphere and the "feel" of the universe just perfectly IMO. The graphic style and looks are superb for me.
    The initial campaign is short, but very well done. It has a wonderful "detective noir" flair in the first act, many references for old shadowrun players and readers, and some pretty interesting battles, none of which feel like filler material just there to increase game time. The second act is a bit more linear, but still well written and with some very satisfying runs.
    The tactical turn-based combat is interesting, though not perfect yet, but it beats most modern RPG hackfests hands down. The interface is a bit too "tablet style" for my taste, as is the inventory system.
    The save game system is bad, no doubt about that. At least a "save on exit" option badly needs to be implemented, as some checkpoint are *very* far from each other.
    The campaign is pretty short (about 12 hours for a thorough playthrough), but I take quality over quantity any time. And I still get the Berlin campaign in October. :-)
    All in all, I'd rate it a 7, and add an extra point for the editor, that has already yielded a few short but interesting user made runs, and for the upcoming Berlin Campaign that I'm really looking forward for.
  62. Aug 15, 2013
    Very good RPG with nice atmospheric environment, music,dialogues and scenario. If it was just a bit more refined it would remind me of Planescape Torment. Waiting for expansion packs that will deliver it's full potential.
  63. Sep 9, 2015
    Shadowrun returns is a good classic rpg with really solid writing (although the story gets medicore in the end), turn-based fighting system and a nice atmosphere. Unfortunately it's very linear, short(~15 hours), locations are small and there are almost no side-quests. Still it's a better rpg than most of the titles coming out these days. Also the price is great.
  64. Oct 2, 2014
    Very good, uncomplicated and linear role-playing game which is settled in a cyberpunk world, that combines elements of reality, fantasy and science fiction.
    I enjoy the (simple but intuitive) game mechanics, the (Xcom-like) combat, the storyline (in which you try to find a serial killer) and my character developement a lot, havent discovered any bug so far and always knew what i should do next.

Havent had so much enjoyment in a long time, and therefore, can easily recommend!
  65. Oct 10, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game and can review it in the context of modern games, without having played any prior shadow run games. RPG elements are a bit light and party dynamics are fairly weak. However there is definitely an immersive environment and story that pushes you forward to play more and more of the game. The thing that detracts however is the length of the game. I was seriouslyI really enjoyed this game and can review it in the context of modern games, without having played any prior shadow run games. RPG elements are a bit light and party dynamics are fairly weak. However there is definitely an immersive environment and story that pushes you forward to play more and more of the game. The thing that detracts however is the length of the game. I was seriously expecting double/triple the size and content, very disappointing and slightly ruins an otherwise enjoyable game. Expand
  66. Aug 19, 2013
    Returned, but should have stayed buried. The originals were much more open-ended, had better save systems. No ammo? Pointless skills abound. Defenders keep talking about future player made content, but so what? We'll maybe get 1 or 2 stories that are worth playing..no to mention this isnt a rpg maker software, it is sold as a game
  67. Jul 29, 2013
    Call me nuts but I like the save system being like it is. Adds a certain risk to screwing up if you make poor choices or just plain suck. I mean what's the point of avoiding death if you can just reload and try again without having to make your way back? The lack of looting? A little annoying, yeah... but I can see it imbalancing things if you had a ton of weapons in your stash to vendorCall me nuts but I like the save system being like it is. Adds a certain risk to screwing up if you make poor choices or just plain suck. I mean what's the point of avoiding death if you can just reload and try again without having to make your way back? The lack of looting? A little annoying, yeah... but I can see it imbalancing things if you had a ton of weapons in your stash to vendor off. You'd never feel the need to conserve money at all. So yeah... those two points either don't bother me or I like them as is. The rest of the game is beautifully done and makes me about as happy as can be. Expand
  68. Jul 29, 2013
    Good game but I expected much more. I wanted a new Fallout or a Baldur's but instead I've received a pretty shallow RPG experience ...

Things I hate (the original campaign): - No save system Basically the game is checkpoint based, and I don't think this system is suitable for this kind of games . - The campaign is completely linear. No role-playing. - No mini-map . - No loot

Things I hate (the original campaign):

- The campaign is completely linear. No role-playing.
    - No mini-map .
    - No loot (dying monsters don't drop a thing...maybe sometime keycards) .
    - The story is mediocre .

Things I like:
    - Atmosphere
  69. Vel
    Aug 17, 2013
    A great amount of potential for combining storytelling and the feel of the original shadowrun universe, the content simply isn't there yet. You can't spend $20 on the current short storyline, which only takes a few hours to complete and has little to no replay value. Once more content is created and comes out, it has potential to be a great buy, but now it just lacks too much.
  70. Jul 25, 2013
    An absolute triumph of great design and overwhelming developer passion, Shadowrun Returns is at long last a worthy successor to it's predecessors on the SNES and Genesis/Megadrive, and a proud representation of the classic tabletop game.

Graphically, the game is luscious and stays utterly true to it's source material. Most impressive is the diversity of the classes in terms of gameplay. The matrix hacking element of the game flows naturally into the game, offering a spin on the gameplay which is a welcome distraction. Magic has been overhauled; no longer is playing a Shaman a chore.

The turn based system just works perfectly. Comparisons to X-Com are bound to occur, and they are justified to an extent, but it isn't a carbon copy of the system as it adds very definite Shadowrun only elements to it.

Another definitive Shadowrun feature is the Karma system of development. For this game, the Karma system lends itself to the RPG aspects of the title, forcing you to do good deeds to gain rewards. Whilst on paper this seems like a forced method of levelling, in practice it does well as it prevents the all-out turn based grind towards completion and compels you to explore the detailed world, held together by a spellbinding steampunk inspired soundtrack.

The core game is a bit on the easy side, and it is short (the £15 shelf tag highlights this lack of depth, but it's the perfect price point). That said, it isn't difficult to see how much this game is going to be built upon by a rabid fan base who have been baying for this game since the 90s. Six months from now, this game could easily have another 100+ hours of gameplay built on it by modders and the joyous thing is that the diversity and enjoyment of the game means that those 100 hours will be well spent indeed.

Shadowrunners everywhere, eradicate all memories of that woeful FPS offering that broke our hearts several years ago, get out your credsticks and buy this game because finally we've got the game we've been waiting for.
  71. Jul 26, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a PC platform, role playing game that takes on the rules, themes and likeness of the popular table top role playing game Shadowrun.

Besides some minor likenesses of the game, you are going to discover that this game is incredibly stiff, limiting and lifeless. The tabletop edition of the game was ALWAYS about player decisions and interactions with the game world, rules were always secondary.

In this game, very few choices are made and the ones you do make are mostly in dialog and usually have the same end result. The game is strictly story driven and during this time they refuse to allow you actually leave the path they've written for you.

I don't know if it's based on the engine or the campaign that came boxed with Shadowrun, but the system is very limited, you cannot even back track into old zones unless the system decides the story needs you to. Sides quests are also very few and far between.

There's almost no side quests, one of the big things in Shadowrun was running missions, but I am finding that besides the ones that directly effect the campaign itself, the side missions are few and far between.

The NPCs are pretty much lifeless, it wouldn't even matter if they were there unless they are for a quest or something.

The game is incredibly restricting and limited. And the length of the campaign that comes with the game game is practically unacceptable.

It's an alright game, but something I and many other people weren't expecting. We were expecting more. This software conversion of the role playing system does it no justice or service. My advice? Take the money you were going to use to buy this game and get a copy of the SNES game instead.
  72. Jul 26, 2013
    This is a decent adventure with a fairly well spun story. I love the hand drawn backdrops and they convey a pretty good atmosphere. I also love the music!

but there are a few major issues with my gaming experience; 1) it's one of the most linear games ever and really just catapults you from one event to the other, without any freedom. You also do not, at any time, feel that your

but there are a few major issues with my gaming experience;

1) it's one of the most linear games ever and really just catapults you from one event to the other, without any freedom. You also do not, at any time, feel that your choices have any real impact on the game world. This is more of an adventure game setup then a RPG setup as such.
    2) The character development is really basic and does not apply to your followers. as such, there's no real RPG element here
    3) The UI was clearly designed with tablets in mind and it's a double facepalm for PC users. You have to click on *everything*, which is annoying and slow
    4) Too little inventory slots, no loot.
    5) The save game issue

So, my conclusion has to be that in the current state this is not an RPG. This is a very linear tablet adventure and as such I can only call it "mediocre".

HOWEVER, I do have hope for this game yet as including the editor is a stroke of brilliance and modders will hopefully be able to deliver new campaigns which improve the gaming experience, but I fear the engine has too many limitations to ever become an EPIC experience.

Sad puppy out.
  73. Oct 28, 2013
    A very good game the first time through the mechanics are interesting, the story is both intelligible and engaging, while the numerous characters if somewhat shallow are engaging.
    The second time through however is where it slips, as you'll find your choices have no real impact on the story and as a result there's very little variation it quickly becomes dull.
    Your 'personality' is only
    Your 'personality' is only what you interpret it to be, if you're rude to npcs it won't impact any conversation tree.
    Overall a very fun game but for re-playability you'll have to look to either expansions or community mods.
  74. Aug 4, 2013
    There's one thing that needs to be established first. Shadowrun Returns is NOT a game. It's a mission editor with a free sample campaign attached. And it has cost its backers a solid $1.8M to develop.

And as far as the sample campaign goes... It's bad. The interface is clearly tuned for tablets and has no hotkeys. The game mechanics are very simplistic unlimited ammunition, "big" action points that allow you to move or shoot and rather unpredictable cover mechanics where you can't predict if an object will actually give you cover until you are able to move near it. All gloriously copied from the new X-COM, only without love and polish. Add to that pretty ridiculous hacking (it's entirely like normal combat, but simpler and looks like Tron), an absolutely sterile world where you can't enter non-mission related buildings or get some miscellaneous reading (newspapers, datapads et c.) and a godawful stat distribution screen which gives you no hint as to how much benefit each stat gives besides checkpoints that grant new skills. What you get in the end is an unenthusiastic attempt at transferring the pen and paper game to a computer.

Many famous writers and designers are rumored to have worked on this but Shadowrun Returns shows no love put in it. Not anywhere. At least it's rather cheap so you can buy it and hope for user-generated content on Steam Workshop.
  75. Jul 27, 2013
    Well I've been waiting for awhile to play this game. I love the pen and paper Shadowrun and by proxy thought I'd love the video game as well. Well love is a strong word. I guess you'd say I like Shadowrun Returns, but certainly there is no love. I wish I could love the game, but the fact is there are just too many things that turn me off about it, the chief among them being the fact youWell I've been waiting for awhile to play this game. I love the pen and paper Shadowrun and by proxy thought I'd love the video game as well. Well love is a strong word. I guess you'd say I like Shadowrun Returns, but certainly there is no love. I wish I could love the game, but the fact is there are just too many things that turn me off about it, the chief among them being the fact you can only save at the beginning of a mission. Now that doesn't seem too annoying until you realize that a mission usually takes at least 15 to 20 minutes to complete, and some can take upwards of an hour. With that in mind, you die, you have to restart from the beginning of the scene. This can get really frustrating, really fast. Yes it's an old school method, a return to our roots, so to speak, but certain roots were dug up because the only thing that grew from them were trees rife with frustration.

Second is the class system. Now the problem here is that it is far too simplistic, harboring only a mere shell of the actual pen and paper game. The mechanics are fine for a hack and slash game that will only be played once and then put back up on the shelf until the prequel or sequel comes out, but that's not what most of are buying this game for. No, this was supposed to be our chance to have persistent characters that you could use over the course of multiple campaigns. I guess you could do that, but the fact is, there are so few items and so few abilities, you have to wonder what's the point?

Why would a game so full of possibilities limit itself to the extent that Shadowrun Returns has? The fact is most classes only have a handful of abilities that scale with your level. New abilities are few and far between. In the end you wont be seeing many new skills, but instead you'll be playing the same character, just with more hit points, doing more damage, repeating the same skills over and over and over and over... well you get the point.

Okay, so that's all my complaints. In the end I gave the game a six, because there are some good things to mention as well. First, unless you purchased your computer in the Ice Age, chances are it'll run this game. That doesn't sound too important until you remember all the games that require you to have a state of art system just to meet the recommended requirements. Second the graphics are sharp and I mean sharp. The details are nice. Third the user interface is well done, nothing new, but certainly easy to understand and get used too.

Now would I recommend this to other gamers? Certainly. Would I pre-purchase it if I knew how frustrated playing it would make me? Maybe. Is it worth $19.99, hell yeah. Is it comparable to Neverwinter Nights, Freedom Force, and other top down RPGs that have come along? Well yes, but it certainly falls behind those games. As I said, nothing new, nothing really amazing, but it's certainly worth it if you want to have some fun over the weekend. (It took me less than 16 hours to complete the campaign that comes with the game, just in case you're wondering.) My final evaluation, okay game, okay concept, but nothing amazing to write to your friends about.
  76. Jul 25, 2013
    The main word I have to describe Shadowrun Returns is "dissapointing". I have a massive problem with the way the game was designed and created in that this is more or less an ios style game. Whether or not that's what they are going for the interface is completely abhorrent and everything that relies on it as well. The save system is atrocious and the game would have gone up at leastThe main word I have to describe Shadowrun Returns is "dissapointing". I have a massive problem with the way the game was designed and created in that this is more or less an ios style game. Whether or not that's what they are going for the interface is completely abhorrent and everything that relies on it as well. The save system is atrocious and the game would have gone up at least another point if it didn't have this godawful save system. WHY? WHY? Why did they have this atrocious checkpoint system in a game like this? It makes NO SENSE. The dialogue is a mixed bag from horribly written to passable to good although most of it is not good and was seemingly written by a teenager. It is just so immature in relation to the maturity of the world, it doesn't fit at all. Gameplay is meh but that really isn't the allure of a game like this. Overall I am greatly dissapointed and the only thing I like is the artstyle. Which also shows another glaring error when playing at high resolutions: the character models. The environments are gorgeous but the characters look extremely bad at 2560x1400. They are pixelated around the edges, especially when besides cover (even with 8x aa one) and the detail on them is horrendous. All I could think about while playing this game was that this was a phone game that wasn't properly ported to the PC and technical issues are what hurt it the most. Animations, character graphics, the awful UI it all makes a pretty good game horrendously average. It could have been a solid 8/10 but I don't know. Maybe they needed more time. Expand
  77. Jul 26, 2013
    Pros: The setting. The noir-ish writing. Multiple solutions to many of the encounters. The combat is quite fun, if a bit simple. The potential of user-generated content.
    Cons: The save system checkpoints are hard to accept in a PC RPG. The RPG systems seem a bit lite.
    Conclusion: For the price, Shadowrun Returns is a great value.
  78. Jul 30, 2013
    I am really enjoying my time with Shadowrun Returns and what's even better about that situation is that there is a strong community following for this, as evidenced by the crowdfunded source of the funding and community forums that have popped up all over the place. This is great because it means that people will be making campaigns and stuff based on the all the stories they have beenI am really enjoying my time with Shadowrun Returns and what's even better about that situation is that there is a strong community following for this, as evidenced by the crowdfunded source of the funding and community forums that have popped up all over the place. This is great because it means that people will be making campaigns and stuff based on the all the stories they have been waiting to tell and have previously told through the table-top gaming.

People are marking this game down because of, to be blunt, stupid personal preferences. Like the save system.. I'm sorry but if you can't spend more than 10 minutes at a time to play the game, go home. That's the approximate time between mission areas that is required to get to another auto-save.

The other major thing I am seeing people saying is the interface... there's seriously nothing wrong with the interface for a TURN BASED COMBAT game.. this is Magicka, this is not League of Legends.. you DO NOT need hotkeys.. sure they would be more convenient.. but it has not detracted from the experience for me AT ALL by not having them. "Made for touchscreen"?? Go home.

As for the story and the "walls of text".. really? C'mon, what did you expect? Grade-A voice acting of EVERY line in the game?? The story is fitting and while a little bit too predictable at times, it is still an enjoyable story nevertheless.

This is not a perfect game but it does live up to my expectations that I had for it. It could be better... but so could so many others. A strong 7 out of 10 for this one, bordering on an 8.
  79. Aug 3, 2013
    What an astonishingly fun game! It's simple, it's unpretentious, and it'll keep you playing...and playing...and playing. It's easily the best turn-based tactical game of the last two years for me.

I came into it knowing that the default adventure, Dead Man's Switch, was only one of countless adventures that were already in the works. Sure, it's a bit linear, but it's pure Shadowrun, and it comes with all the options. You want your own custom character portrait? There's a way to do that. You want a particular piece of cyberware? It's probably there. You like player hideouts? There's one of those.

If you don't end up liking Dead Man's Switch, remember that so many more adventures are in the works, including tons of 2nd Edition adventures already being made for the game, courtesy of a group called Shadowrun Identity.

For such a versatile blast of a game, the price tag isn't bad either.
  80. Aug 1, 2013
    An Honest Review, without wasting your time.

An Honest Review, without wasting your time.

An amazing concept, realized with good skills and amazing writing. Showing the value of Kickstarter, this is easily one of if not the best RPG's of the year. With custom content (available in the first few months), an open roleplaying ruleset, and editors galore and a community to back it, this is my new favorite PnP RPG on PC. Does it have bugs? you betcha. Aside from a general focus on story (which was flawless) over combat, at times it was very slow with little action, hard to click areas and a general stubbornness of clickable artifacts and precision of the mouse cursor. I say this out of respect and keeping it all in balance, it still deserves its 9. Its not logical to bring down a game for a few annoyances, for how good it is, and how good it could be. Some may not agree, but 3 things are true: a) you will be glad you played it if you liked Baldur's Gate, b) it is in the style of a pen and paper RPG with custom content galore, and c) If you love quality music and sound and writing, you will love it.
  81. Jul 30, 2013
    The game is fun. The story is engaging. The character building needs more information and a better explanation of how the skills interact. The movement with the mouse in game needs a little tweaking. Overall, I am enjoying the game even if I am thrown off the immersion from time to time due to my character not moving when I click on a spot.
  82. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is nice. But nice isn't great. Which is a serious disappointment after all those enthusiastic videos from harebrained and those positive previews all over the net.

The story is good. Sometimes it feels like it's written by a pubescent nerd, but anyone familiar with Shadowrun shouldn't be surprised by that. It fits the universe and is very entertaining. (+5) The only

The only problem is, that it doesn't feel like any choice you make matters. The story just goes on and on in the same direction, no matter how you behave. But that can be fixed by custom campaigns created by the community. (-1)

The combat is good, too. Its nothing surprisingly great, but a well made turn based tactical combat system. Not too hard and not too easy, just generally well made. (+4)

A serious issue are the technical shortcomings:

* There's no save system except for autosaves on map changes. This can get really frustrating when real life calls and you have to quit before finishing a map. To me, this is a fail at game design. (-3)

* The UI is clearly made for touch screens. Its just ugly. Everything feels kind of out of proportion and needs to be clicked. Very much not intuitive and no shortcuts whatsoever. Which leads to the next problem.. (-1)

* No customizable keybindings. You can't even switch weapons with the mouse wheel. You have to click the up and down buttons on the screen. Same goes for spells, which cant be used by pressing a number but have to be clicked. This is really bad design and clearly shows harebrained's origin in mobile gaming. (-1)

The background graphics are great. Much love was put into them and there's so much detail, it's always great to see such nice 2D graphics. (+1)
    But then there's the character models. It seems the background was much more important to harebrained than the characters. They seriously lack detail in any way and generally look quiet bad. Its nothing game breaking, but really sad to see. (-1)

The bright beacon of hope for this game is the mighty editor. The community gets all the tools to create their own campaigns and addons which is a lot of fun to do and gives hope for custom content, that fixes some of the negative aspects of SRR. (+1)

In conclusion, I don't regret backing the game, but I'm also not satisfied with it.
    The technical shortcomings need to be fixed asap to make this nice game for fans into a fun experience for everyone!

4 of 10
  83. Jul 29, 2013
    Well it's a cheap game and it shows. Shot, linear, simple. Pretty much what you'd expect from a casual/tablet game. Don't expect a full-fledged oldschool RPG and you won't be disappointed.
  84. Aug 8, 2013
    The game is pretty, but ultimately uninspiring. It's a very bitter example of missed opportunities. The gameplay is extremely linear. The save system is not very good, leading to having to replay long sequences after a death. There are very few opportunities to look around, explore, or discover. The use of text trees is pretty good, but it's unclear how much REAL effect mostThe game is pretty, but ultimately uninspiring. It's a very bitter example of missed opportunities. The gameplay is extremely linear. The save system is not very good, leading to having to replay long sequences after a death. There are very few opportunities to look around, explore, or discover. The use of text trees is pretty good, but it's unclear how much REAL effect most encounters will have.

The story itself is a bit shallow and cliche. It tries to be dark and deep but it never feels as dramatic and sincere and emotional as the setting has the potential to be.

At the end of the day, it's just not enjoyable. I don't feel particularly inspired to play. It is, in a word, boring, and that is completely the worst possible thing you could say about an RPG game.
  85. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is amazing, its a great start to what will be absolutely incredible game a few months from now, for a start its awesome a hard 9 a few months to a year from now it will be a solid 13 out of 10
  86. Sep 21, 2014
    The game features fantastic isometric images and great music, but that's it for me. I particularly don't like turn based combat, I'm not good at them, because it seems you need the optimal build from the start to make it. I failed in the very first combat session in this game: you somehow seem to be overwhelmed all the time. However, positive thing is that the designers gave multipleThe game features fantastic isometric images and great music, but that's it for me. I particularly don't like turn based combat, I'm not good at them, because it seems you need the optimal build from the start to make it. I failed in the very first combat session in this game: you somehow seem to be overwhelmed all the time. However, positive thing is that the designers gave multiple options to accomplish a task with either money, few of the skills or talk style. (I don't like games where you are cut from content because of your build, especially if it is somewhat tedius to replay to the same decision point over and over.) Missions barely give enough profit if you bring multiple shadowrunners along, which is almost always a must. Note that this is my opinion about the default Dead man's switch campaign, which has modestly interresting story, but not that engaging. Expand
  87. Aug 7, 2013
    I actually never played any Shadowrun games before this, but it reminded me of many other games I loved and played all the time when growing up. After playing through Deadman's Switch I have to say this game is absolutely fantastic!
    Where do I begin? The art and the detail in each area and character is very nice, the rules are sleek and easy to learn (though at first I was a bit intimidated coming into a ruleset I had no prior experience with). The combat system flows great, it really keeps your interest. The writing is amazing, it feels like I am reading a good novel at times. On top of it all the music is sleek and fitting to the cyberpunk setting.

I do have a few complaints, I did find some bugs, while not game breaking, they were an annoyance for a bit. And while the character development is solid for most of the characters that are a part of the story, I really wish I could interact more with the runners I hire, a one sentence description of the character does not do them justice.

Because of this game I am looking into playing the Pen and Paper Shadowrun as well. Overall I would highly recommend this game to anyone that enjoyed games such as Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights (if you love user made campaigns), or XCOM.
  88. omi
    Jul 30, 2013
    Nice game and concept.
    what I like:
    1) story 2) graphics 3) variety of choices in character creation and development. What I don't like: 1) too short. (finished in 3 days, about 20h) 2) too easy battle. overpowered skills. ranged is too overpowered compared to others. 3) not much side quests, small world, repeated graphics. 4) no voice acting. I would definitely pay for a dlc
    Nice game and concept.
    what I like:
    1) story
    2) graphics
    3) variety of choices in character creation and development.
    What I don't like:
    1) too short. (finished in 3 days, about 20h)
    3) not much side quests, small world, repeated graphics.
    4) no voice acting.

I would definitely pay for a dlc including a longer campaign with some voice acting.
  89. Jul 28, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns conveys the Cyberpunk’s feel very well. The graphical arts and the musics are spot on. On these aspects Harebrained Schemes delivered. Do not expect a great campaign with a breath-taking scenario though. It is mostly a game editor for the community to work with and provide descent content.

The campaign is short and accordingly the story doesn’t go very deep. It could

The campaign is short and accordingly the story doesn’t go very deep. It could be a side quest in baldur’s gate 2 actually. It is well written however and enjoyable enough.

The biggest issues as it is, in my opinion, are the game mechanics and the characters development. It is fairly limited in term of strategy and the class are totally unbalanced. Pure deckers or even mages are not functionals for example and it will be a walk through the park with a character focused on ranged combat.

If the game mechanics and the characters development can be heavily modified with the editor it could have the potential for great content from the community. Otherwise it will be only a nice story telling tool.
  90. Jun 27, 2014
    General Overview: An old school (supposedly) game play centric game that will remind many of us of the beginnings of great role playing adventures such as the original Ultima series. The graphics provide a nice atmosphere and the writing is decent but the campaign, Dead Man's Switch is very linear with LOTS of text reading. Make no mistake, you are NOT buying this for the campaign asGeneral Overview: An old school (supposedly) game play centric game that will remind many of us of the beginnings of great role playing adventures such as the original Ultima series. The graphics provide a nice atmosphere and the writing is decent but the campaign, Dead Man's Switch is very linear with LOTS of text reading. Make no mistake, you are NOT buying this for the campaign as the characters are shallow and your interaction is too brief to be of consequence. Its more showcase for what you have bought which is the editor that allows user generated content. As a game its more of an interactive novel than a game and unfortunately the story is only serviceable. This game will also only appeal to those with the patience and tolerance for text based gaming in the narrative sense. The combat is also serviceable at best and the challenge is not there and the "karma" (development points for your character) are provided for some of the smallest of actions and make earning those nearly meaningless. If you have no interest in building your own missions to share. don't want to take the risk that others will create something that you love and you have no intention of buying the FAR SUPERIOR Dragon Fall DLC there is little to recommend here.

TL;DNR: 5:More of a demonstration campaign and editor tool for community development than a game. I would suggest avoiding unless you plan to create your own campaigns, want to try the community developed campaigns or plan to buy and play the FAR SUPERIOR Dragon Fall DLC.

Technology/engine: 5: nothing earth shattering here although the editor is accessible and works well to generate custom content.

AI: 5: Not much here in this installment. AI is standard fare.

Graphics: 8: The 3D/2D as they call it works well and the art style is appealing and creates a great atmosphere.

Sound: 5: The ambient sounds are decent but nothing to write home about.

Soundtrack: 5: Music is appropriate but not all that varied. Fits to the atmosphere created by the art and the writing but is nothing outstanding.

Voice acting: N/A

Crafting: N/A

Customization: 4: Very minor and nothing to get excited over.

Game play systems: 8: The game play systems are well formed but poorly executed in the campaign - its far too simple and combat is too brief and too simple with very little challenge. The hope lies in the communities ability to put these systems to good use.

Controls: 5: Simple point and click interaction. Very, very basic.

Story: 5: Character development is poor in this installment and conversational choices are meaningless. It really is not something to get excited about and the reading gets laborious at points as there is nothing really driving the story forward.

Multiplayer :N/A
  91. Jul 27, 2013
    Great game, really catching the feel of Shadowrun in general and well worth the 18 euros 20 dollars it costs through steam. There's much love given to people who played the SNES game, maybe to the genesis fans aswell (didn't play the SEGA version myself). Music composers from the SNES and Sega game made some parts of the soundtrack aswell as characters from both game pops in on theGreat game, really catching the feel of Shadowrun in general and well worth the 18 euros 20 dollars it costs through steam. There's much love given to people who played the SNES game, maybe to the genesis fans aswell (didn't play the SEGA version myself). Music composers from the SNES and Sega game made some parts of the soundtrack aswell as characters from both game pops in on the storyline. I'm quite sure that fans of the Shadowrun Universe PnP will like this game, but also fans of the RP genre in general.
    The only downside the game has, is the current save options, I didn't lower the score cause of this, in hope it will be fixed somewhere in the future, or at least be better for the upcoming "Berlin" DLC campaign by Harebrained Schemes.
    Shadowrun community seems to have a good community, which will most likely create some very well written stories through the editor that came with the game which again leaves you with a good opportunity to get even more shadowrun for your money, as well as maybe an even more open world feeling, as the current main campaign is a bit linear. (Berlin campaign is already said to be more open world'ish)
  92. Aug 1, 2013
    Good game, not great, but good.
    Pros:
    -Atmosphere
    -Dialogues
    -Story
    -Visual style
    -Turn-Based Combat
    -Price
    -Setting
    I'd say that this game reminded me of first Fallout, I mean the overall feel.
  93. Jul 31, 2013
    The game has an interesting plot. However there isn't much you can do to affect the plot, as it seems. The RPG system is actually very nice and original in my oppinion, as are the game mechanics (decking, spells e.t.c.). The graphics are old-school, but they are pleasant for the eye. I would give it a 8-9 if it was a bit more polished. It's a good game but don't expect it to be somethingThe game has an interesting plot. However there isn't much you can do to affect the plot, as it seems. The RPG system is actually very nice and original in my oppinion, as are the game mechanics (decking, spells e.t.c.). The graphics are old-school, but they are pleasant for the eye. I would give it a 8-9 if it was a bit more polished. It's a good game but don't expect it to be something extra-ordinary. Expand
  94. Sep 2, 2013
    Really great story and interesting characters even if they are a bit archetypal. Definitely worth the low price tag. Bonus points for shipping with a massive campaign editor. The single launch campaign seems to just be skimming the surface of a massive world that leaves you craving more.
  95. Jul 28, 2013
    The release of this game just made me sad. I saw it pop up on the steam store page and I'm like "Oh they made a sequel to that FPS game," but nope it's an rpg. I thought this was going to follow the cross-platform FPS that was really cool, but this is supposed to be like some really old Shadowrun SNES game. What a letdown
  96. Jul 29, 2013
    A great game for everyone who likes RPG's. I gave it 9 out of 10, but if it had had speech it would have gotten a 10. Maybe in the future when great usermade stuff comes out, I will revise to 10/10.
  97. Jul 28, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is indeed a return, to the classic style of CRPGs, and is a game full of story-driven intrigue and interesting gameplay concepts. Sadly it fails to execute all of them very well.

Combat is fairly solid but very simplisitic, with the exception of the matrix system, which adds an interesting level of depth. There are plenty of skills and abilities to choose from in both worlds, although class choice seems to not make much of a difference, oddly. The gunplay could definitely have used an aimed shot system and a bit more flavour generally, such as interesting banter and insults along the lines of the old Fallout games. As it stands, non-matrix combat basically winds up as 'take cover, then left-click on enemies to win'.

The story, dialogue, descriptive text and characters are Shadowrun Returns' strongest point. The game's storyline always left me wanting to come back for more, and the world is full of colourful characters from all sorts of backgrounds. It's nice to see a bunch of supporting NPC party members who are actually tied into the main plot as well, and not random guns-for-hire.

Unfortunately, this game has a couple of irritating design choices that really drag it down. The first is the lack of a manual save or quicksave feature, the game relying entirely on checkpoints that are way too few and far between, often forcing you to sit through reams of dialogue again and again, or forcing you to restart an entire area because you made a conversation choice or hack that didn't go as intended. Does it prevent save-scumming? Yes, but in the most tedious and irritating way.

The second problem, and one that ties in with the first, is one I'd hoped had died with the Baldur's Gate series when it came to party-based RPGs: game over on main character death. Given the classic nature of the game I could overlook this minor irritant, but combined with the saving issue it results in you often running and hiding with your main character in any sort of challenging combat. This isn't so much out of fear of dying generally as not wanting to sit through 10-15 minutes of bloody dialogue again on restart.

So the net result a great story and setting with mostly solid, if somewhat shallow gameplay, sadly brought down significantly by a major design choice mistake, in my opinion. It's fortunate the story always brings me back quickly, otherwise this is exactly the kind of game I could rage-quit after an unlucky roll or two, and then not revisit it for 18 months. And that would be a shame. Add 3 points to the rating if they ever patch in a proper save system.
  98. Aug 1, 2013
    If you are fairly young and play a lot of modern action/RPG games you may not like this game. If you've only really played Mass Effect and Dragon Age then this is going to seem like an interactive storybook and you'll wonder where all the animations and cut-scenes are.

If the mention of Fallout 1+2, Baldurs Gate, Zork, Monkey Island, Beneath a Steel Sky, Dreamscape, B.A.T, Planescape Torment, Valhalla, Dune all make you quiver with fond memories then step right in and grab this game with both hands!

I love it. Completed the small story that it comes with in 2 days with a Ninja Elf Shaman Decker (Yeah why not!) and then straight back in with a new character and made a Troll with a shotgun. Its been less than a week at time of writing this review and the steam workshop is already filled with some great user content. I had a quick go at writing a story last night and it was ace fun! Very complex but enjoyable toolset.

This game is going to be the gift that keeps on giving and if your prepared to be part of the shadowrun returns community then your going to get tonnes out of it!
  99. Jul 25, 2013
    Finally, a real quality old school RPG.

Crazy good story, Very fun and addictive gameplay, Character customization is awesome and easy. The game offer a good overall quality. This game prove something, Gameplay and story matter more than Special effect and eye candies. I hope to see more of that kind of game. I'm waiting for wastelands 2 and planescape, I hope they will be as
    Finally, a real quality old school RPG.

The game offer a good overall quality.

I hope to see more of that kind of game. I'm waiting for wastelands 2 and planescape, I hope they will be as good at this one.

Finally, if you like games like the old Fallout series. This game is a must to buy.
  100. Jul 28, 2013
    I gave this game an honest 4. It isn't a 0 as it is not a disaster but there is no way it is a 10. There are much better games out there that are similiar that deserve a 10. While it is good that an indy and kickstarter game has made it, it is really dissapointing for their budget with what else is out there.

Pros: -Writing and unique immerison are farily good -Skill point

Pros:
    -Writing and unique immerison are farily good
    -Skill point differential allows for different playthroughs and dialogue
    -Different races and interactions with characters is nice
    -Game world backdrops are nicely drawn (eventhough you can't interact)
    -It's in Seattle where I live

Cons:
    -Story is completley linear, just a point and click adventure
    -Combat is very poor, repetitive, and straight forward.Also very easy
    -Classes are meaningless as guns rule the game
    -No open world (just clarify as it kinda impies it is)
    -Equipment/guns are really limited, you will only change it about three times in the 10 hour game
    -Checkpoint save only. It doesnt make it harder it just makes it annoying

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 5, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a bit more simplistic than I had hoped for, but at the same time it is not bad at all. [Sept 2013]
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a faithful reinterpretation (and in a vague sense, sequel) to the SNES game from 20 years ago, maybe a bit too faithful. Though most aspects of the the wild and unruly Shadowrun world is included, the promise of this game lies more in the open embrace of the mod community than the included adventure.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns will probably please most fans if perhaps not blow anyone out of the water. The campaign is well written and serves as a good introduction for new players. The variety in combat and character creation and dialogue options is great but suffers from a badly implemented autosave system. With lots of new campaigns on the horizon Shadowrun Returns is well worth keeping an eye on.