7.4

1. Jul 26, 2013
    The game is great if our materialistic "me" society hasn't damaged you. It's linear. It doesn't have great graphics. It uses a checkpoint system. Somebody mentioned losing 30 minutes due to the checkpoint system. i call BS on that. If it takes you 30 minutes to redo something you just completed you are doing it on purpose. 10 minutes, tops.

There is a tool set. I was under the

There is a tool set. I was under the impression from the get go that the campaign was going to be a teaser and the real game would involve user generated content. Thus it was delivered.

I don't care for the lack of options in the options menu, I would have liked to see some key bindings. It sits at a 7.7 and I think it's deserving of that. If you don't like retro style games, turn based combat, linear story lines then I wouldn't suggest this game. I'm 30 years old, this game really brings me back and I'm loving it. If you happen to have played the snes Shadowrun title and you enjoyed that you'll definitely enjoy this as well.
  2. Jul 26, 2013
    Well, let's start with what it is: This is a CRPG, based around the Shadowrun universe (which was one of my favorite tabletop games). It allows you to jump into the life of a Runner for a few days and deal with some drek that just keeps piling on. It is, IMHO, a nice single player tabletop-like experience if your GM likes to keep tossing more and more on you.

What it isn't: This is

What it isn't: This is not Fallout or FO: Tactics, this is not FF, this is not Diablo. If that is what you are looking for you will be disapointed.

The Good:
    1. The writing... oh wow, the writing. You can tell that the game was put together by a team that loves the world, and knows how to write a campaign. It's one of those stories that remind me of sitting with game designers at GenCon playing their favorite modules or testing out a new story line.

2. Atmosphere. They nail the dark and gloomy of SR's Seattle, the inter-species/racial tensions of the world, and the socio-economic politics that go along with it all. You deal with Corps, Johnsons, Riggers, Trolls, Shamans, etc, etc, etc. A good taste of a little bit of everything. Pre-rendered background art that works well with decent sprites keeps you interested in the world and makes you want to look around. Subtle and nice music keeps things flowing (when it isn't choppy). Portrait art is very reminiscent of the game art from the books, and helps keep you in the world (think Baldur's Gate).

3. Tactics. Yup, they've got that down rather nicely. Mild inventory management, but more of a time management game (think original X-Com). You pick your team of runners, you spec out your own kit, and then you run your crew. Positioning, cover and flanking, saving some time for Overwatch fire, or popping off a spell with a long cooldown early, you have lots of options in combat.

4. Character. This is a hit and a miss for me. You have a fully open character sheet to spend your Karma (XP) as you will. Want to have a Mage with high strength? Sure, uhm, you could do that. Your outfits are rendered on the sprite so it's neat to see the new armored trenchcoat you just bought actually on the character. Sadly, we're all a little spoiled by Bethesda when it comes to creation customization for looks, which is something you have very limited control over.

The Bad:
    1. Check-point only saves, seriously? What PC developer does this? Massive negative. You can not save the game at any point in time. Only at the beginning of levels does the game auto-save. Should you have a power failure, need to hop off the game to tend to RL stuff, etc. You get to replay the whole area you just did.

2. Levels. Now, let me clarify, since I said the writing was one of the best things, what I mean here is the linear nature of the story and the follow the arrows map design. The good memories I have of running or playing module based tabletop RPGs is tempered with my hatred for straight from the book GMs. SR:R is definitely a pre-made module. It is a linear story line with only a few minor choices to make, and a handful of hidden rooms. That doesn't mean the story itself is bad, just that it is extremely limiting. Of course, the GM toolkit and futher expansions will mean that this may not be a massive issue given time.

3. Strategy. The game has tactics, the game does not have strategy. You can't really customize your Runners, or establish a regular team. You don't have the option to just do off-site hacks or sneak in through a vent... sure those things are there, but only when the game gives them to you. Yes, you can get out of some combats by having the right skills set or stat, or picking certain dialogue options, but really you are playing the game the way the GM wants it played.

4. Optimization. Odd graphic glitches, weird music stutters, and the occasional hangup on a load screen came make things annoying and make you worry that you'll have to replay things. No massive game breakers, but enough that it is rough.

Did I like it? Hell yes, Chummer! Was it worth the money to get it on Steam? I think so, but I'm a fan of the game and look forward to designing my own campaigns and seeing what others will make available.

If you miss doing runs for Mr. Johnson, you can again, but you may be left wanting more. With only the one linear campaign available right now, you're looking about about 12 hours of game. Granted that's game with wonderful writing, but you need to understand what you're getting into. There is no voice acting, you will be reading (oh quit complaining, we had these things before tablets and iwhatsits called books), you wont be getting Mad Lootz from enemies you'll bring in your gear to the fight and hope it's enough. You wont get to wander around and take jobs from the different Corps, you'll do what your GM tells you to do.

If you want to Run in the Shadows, I say get this game. If you want to play Diablo or Skyrim in the SR world, you're out of luck.
  3. Jul 26, 2013
    Whilst the game has its own charms, what it basically boils down to is a wall of text with choices lead to the same result no matter what you pick. Also there is very little action, with little interaction. For example entire streets are eye candy, just something to walk down, with nothing to do in them. The game play seems extremely linear and the lack of a save function means readingWhilst the game has its own charms, what it basically boils down to is a wall of text with choices lead to the same result no matter what you pick. Also there is very little action, with little interaction. For example entire streets are eye candy, just something to walk down, with nothing to do in them. The game play seems extremely linear and the lack of a save function means reading the wall of text again due to lost progress becomes a reason not to reload the game at all. Whilst the story is interesting, I think reading a Shadowrun book would be a lot cheaper and more fun than playing the shadowrun returns game. Expand
  4. Jul 26, 2013
    At first look this game looks nice and polished and as a Kickstarter backer I was happy that they delivered this good. The story is well written and I decided to play a brutish Troll Adept. I bullied people, took their money, was unfriendly....and it hat no influence on the game or any character. When I did meet a character again for the first time, he even introduced my brute as a friend!At first look this game looks nice and polished and as a Kickstarter backer I was happy that they delivered this good. The story is well written and I decided to play a brutish Troll Adept. I bullied people, took their money, was unfriendly....and it hat no influence on the game or any character. When I did meet a character again for the first time, he even introduced my brute as a friend!

Then I realized that nothing I do or say does matter in any way.

The city itself looks nice but is soulless. As good as no interactions.

The tactical fight is very shallow. I had no problem to swipe through my enemies lie a scythe, bare hands only against machine guns and spells.

This game leaves me baffled: so much could have been done, so much was done really good, but the essence of an RPG, the interactions and the consequences of them, the tactics in fights and the looting are non existing.

One can only hope, that the community will be able to spice this game up, since they have a editor delivered with the game.
  5. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is nice. But nice isn't great. Which is a serious disappointment after all those enthusiastic videos from harebrained and those positive previews all over the net.

The story is good. Sometimes it feels like it's written by a pubescent nerd, but anyone familiar with Shadowrun shouldn't be surprised by that. It fits the universe and is very entertaining. (+5) The only

The only problem is, that it doesn't feel like any choice you make matters. The story just goes on and on in the same direction, no matter how you behave. But that can be fixed by custom campaigns created by the community. (-1)

The combat is good, too. Its nothing surprisingly great, but a well made turn based tactical combat system. Not too hard and not too easy, just generally well made. (+4)

A serious issue are the technical shortcomings:

* There's no save system except for autosaves on map changes. This can get really frustrating when real life calls and you have to quit before finishing a map. To me, this is a fail at game design. (-3)

* The UI is clearly made for touch screens. Its just ugly. Everything feels kind of out of proportion and needs to be clicked. Very much not intuitive and no shortcuts whatsoever. Which leads to the next problem.. (-1)

* No customizable keybindings. You can't even switch weapons with the mouse wheel. You have to click the up and down buttons on the screen. Same goes for spells, which cant be used by pressing a number but have to be clicked. This is really bad design and clearly shows harebrained's origin in mobile gaming. (-1)

The background graphics are great. Much love was put into them and there's so much detail, it's always great to see such nice 2D graphics. (+1)
    But then there's the character models. It seems the background was much more important to harebrained than the characters. They seriously lack detail in any way and generally look quiet bad. Its nothing game breaking, but really sad to see. (-1)

The bright beacon of hope for this game is the mighty editor. The community gets all the tools to create their own campaigns and addons which is a lot of fun to do and gives hope for custom content, that fixes some of the negative aspects of SRR. (+1)

In conclusion, I don't regret backing the game, but I'm also not satisfied with it.
    The technical shortcomings need to be fixed asap to make this nice game for fans into a fun experience for everyone!

4 of 10
  6. Jul 27, 2013
    Okay, heres the deal on Shadowrun Returns folks:

Let me first say that I have always been a big fan of the top-down, party-based classic rpgs like Fallout 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate, etc. That is why I was disappointed and surprised by some of the inexplicable decisions that the design team made with Shadowrun. Let's get to the disadvantages first: Disadvantages: -No save game!? Are
    Okay, heres the deal on Shadowrun Returns folks:

Disadvantages:

-No save game!? Are you kidding!? This is so annoying and is utterly inexplicable why they would do this. In an rpg, you like to try out various choices, conversation options, etc. Because you cannot save, you have go back all the way to a start of the chapter just to choose a different conversation option.

-Stupid inventory system. You can only carry a couple items and everything else goes in a stash you can only infrequently access. Totally annoying, and once again inexplicable. Why not use the tried and true inventory system and save game system of Fallout and other classic rpgs?

-Virtually no tracking of side quests in Journal. I did several side quests that never appeared in the Journal. The Journal is very poor overall.

-The game is absolutely linear. There is no freedom at all but to progress forward in a straight line. You cannot travel, for the most part, to any place you have visited before. The only place you can travel to is the next hop along the main mission. If you happen to miss something, tough luck, unless you want to do the whole chapter over again.

-I have other issues with the game, like a lack of any voice talent which should have been available with the money they raised and a lack of being able to manipulate items in the enviroment, but these were the main ones.

Advantages:

-ShadowRun Returns advantage and saving grace is that it has a good story. The story is good and keeps your interest. The story has many elements of a murder mystery, which is unusual and refreshing to find in an rpg. The dialoge is good and the npc's emotions seem geniune. I just wish they had some voice talent to voice them.

-The graphics are acceptable, and the music was actually pretty good.

I hope this review is of use.
  7. Jul 26, 2013
    Pros: The setting. The noir-ish writing. Multiple solutions to many of the encounters. The combat is quite fun, if a bit simple. The potential of user-generated content.
    Cons: The save system checkpoints are hard to accept in a PC RPG. The RPG systems seem a bit lite.
    Conclusion: For the price, Shadowrun Returns is a great value.
  8. Aug 4, 2013
    After completing the game and spending some time working with the User Generated Content tools, I'm afraid I have to drop my original score from a 6 to 4. Below is my original review with some minor revisions to address the change in score:

I was really stoked for a reboot of the CRPG version of Shadowrun, especially after Microsoft and FASA tried exploiting the world for a terrible FPS years ago. I loved the PNP version and played both the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games so when I first heard about this I was excited.

Unfortunately, if you're looking for a CRPG in the style of older ones, keep walking. Shadowrun barely qualifies. The game offers the typical Shadowrun classes but then makes them completely arbitrary and therefore meaningless, since a "perk" of the game is that you can make your own "class" by assigning your own points anywhere. It took a modder to create a loot system because the devs themselves didn't put it in (mobs always drop the same items all the time in the base game), and there's no difference from character to character or "choice" to "choice". Most of the time spent will be spent reading, not playing, and combat is so simplistic, even on the harder difficulty levels, that you have to be a complete moron to fail at it.

For the classes and skill point themselves, they're ultimately meaningless. Dump enough points into health and one attack type and you'll win. If you want to play the game on "EZ-Mode", remember these two words: Street Samurai. "Stat" checks to accomplish things in the game are exceedingly rare, and stat checks in dialog trees are pointless because they always funnel you to the same place without adding anything of real substance. You can't augment your specific class by hiring Shadowrunners e.g. a hired Decker cannot unlock a datapad that requires Decking so Shadowrunners are basically just cannon fodder to make the game even easier.

Then there's the save game issue. Saving by checkpoints, causing players to repeat entire sections of game (mostly reading the same dialog over again) simply because the devs couldn't be bothered to add in a simple quick save, state save, or save on exit capability is ridiculous. Case-in-point: The game crashed, hard, early on in my first Shaman (in the Redmond Barrens), and the save system was so borked that it hadn't even saved, at all. About an hour of play was completely erased, leaving me to start over from character creation.

I'm sorry to say that this game is more akin to reading a b-rated, poorly written graphic novel than playing a game. There's little connection with the characters, the game is broken down into completely linear chapters with few side quests to do, player agency is minimal, and the writing bounces between well crafted and bad fan fiction. Credit where it's due, though: the background art is amazing and the music is top notch.

Originally, I had said "save your money and wait for a sale, or wait for user generated content to make the game worth purchasing". However, after playing with the UGC toolkit, I can't even recommend the game for community content. This is because the toolkit, while expansive, doesn't allow content creators address the fundamental flaws in the Unity engine itself. All addons are going to be as linear as the original main episode, and the RPG elements will always be lackluster because these are core components in the engine that simply cannot be "edited" through the toolkit. There will never be a community "open world" addition because the engine simply cannot allow for it. Even the BEST user generated content for SRR will suffer ALL of the same foibles of the core game.

If you're looking for nostalgia, just replay Fallout 1 or 2, or pop in Shadowrun for SNES or Genesis on a handy dandy emulator and save your money for a better game. I guess Harebrained can at least be happy in knowing that a 4/10 is still better than what I'd rate Shadowrun the FPS.
  9. Jul 26, 2013
    Obviously, the game doesn't deserve a zero. Let's reserve zeroes for games that are released in an alpha state or are just well-disguised computer viruses. I want to like Shadowrun Returns, I really do. I was looking forward to this game for the full month before it came out, and while I was never a die-hard Shadowrun fan, I've always loved CRPGs, grit, grime, and sci-fi.

The

The emphasis there should go on the CRPG part. I was looking forward to reliving the wonder of my youth, playing Fallout and Fallout 2, owning a character, exploring a filthy wasteland. You know, that sort of thing. I was also looking forward to well-written dialogue, colorful characters, and maybe the occasional voice-acting on an important NPC. What I got was absolutely none of that. Literally, none.

Gameplay. Okay. Well, the gameplay is good. It has XCOM written all over it, and I loved that game. But even XCOM was more open-world than this. Shadowrun Returns doesn't even attempt to give you any sense of freedom or choice, not even the proper illusion of control, it just straight-up demands that you take it by the hand and be lead through a guided tour.

Playing this game brought on an increasing sense of claustrophobia, as I kept waiting for the "big reveal" in the story, the point where you're let off the chain and allowed to forge your own path on the dark streets of Seattle, or maybe explore the outside and meet tribes (I was a shaman, it was cool). But no. Never happened. And the closer I got to realizing this, the more angry and disappointed I felt.

The salt on the wound was the heinous, purple-prose writing I had to endure. I was being bombarded constantly by characters giggling and tittering and being "my bestest pals ever" despite the fact that I found them obnoxious, and really, the worst of all, moments where the writer's description of what the character is doing actually ECLIPSES the dialogue itself.

This isn't to say the writing is always bad, some of it is decent, and the core plot structure is ace. But some fanboy/fangirl on the staff was way too jazzed to be there, and it comes through in the overseasoned roast that is some of the dialogue screens.

Speaking of which, as someone who always tags speech, invests in charisma, and likes getting the conversational upper hand, I was sorely pissed that despite the game having a ton of etiquette options, the whole thing is so damn short, I'm pretty sure some of them were actually missing. Like, you never got a chance to use it, at any point. I could be wrong, but I sure didn't see them.

The conclusion? This game failed to live up to what my expectations were, so hard. Even without that crushing disappointment tainting this review, I'd still give it no higher than a six for the hives-inducing purple prose and gameplay issues. Checkpoint saves, really? What the dude. And where's the loot system? And it took me like two hours to figure out how to swap equipment without buying something in a store!

Weren't you guys like 500% funded on kickstarter? This is seriously the best you can do? I guess it all went to just making the engine instead of a full-fledged game. Which is fine. Was also hoping for a NWN style multiplayer aspect. But no. Frowny face.

The game should be billed as a "Shadowrun single-player CRPG engine" not the "CRPG throwback nostalgia bender you've been waiting for, person between ages 24 and 40." I guess there's always those other titles being made in kickstarter.
  10. Jul 26, 2013
    This is a decent adventure with a fairly well spun story. I love the hand drawn backdrops and they convey a pretty good atmosphere. I also love the music!

but there are a few major issues with my gaming experience; 1) it's one of the most linear games ever and really just catapults you from one event to the other, without any freedom. You also do not, at any time, feel that your

but there are a few major issues with my gaming experience;

1) it's one of the most linear games ever and really just catapults you from one event to the other, without any freedom. You also do not, at any time, feel that your choices have any real impact on the game world. This is more of an adventure game setup then a RPG setup as such.
    2) The character development is really basic and does not apply to your followers. as such, there's no real RPG element here
    3) The UI was clearly designed with tablets in mind and it's a double facepalm for PC users. You have to click on *everything*, which is annoying and slow
    4) Too little inventory slots, no loot.
    5) The save game issue

So, my conclusion has to be that in the current state this is not an RPG. This is a very linear tablet adventure and as such I can only call it "mediocre".

HOWEVER, I do have hope for this game yet as including the editor is a stroke of brilliance and modders will hopefully be able to deliver new campaigns which improve the gaming experience, but I fear the engine has too many limitations to ever become an EPIC experience.

Sad puppy out.
  11. Jul 28, 2013
    This game is awful. It had an initial budget goal of $400,000 on Kickstarter with 8 staffers working on it. It raised $1.8 MILLION dollars on Kickstarter alone, not even counting presales on Steam! And they increased their staff from 8 to 30. Yet we are still stuck with a game that doesn't resemble the Sega, SNES, or Pen and Paper version of Shadowrun at all. So how can it be ShadowrunThis game is awful. It had an initial budget goal of $400,000 on Kickstarter with 8 staffers working on it. It raised $1.8 MILLION dollars on Kickstarter alone, not even counting presales on Steam! And they increased their staff from 8 to 30. Yet we are still stuck with a game that doesn't resemble the Sega, SNES, or Pen and Paper version of Shadowrun at all. So how can it be Shadowrun Returns!? It can't be! It has NO save option other than autosave. The vanilla campaign takes ~8 hours for someone halfway competent with clicking a mouse to complete. The storyline is completely on rails. In other words, there is nothing else you can do but what you must do next. You HAVE to click on this spot, then go to this person, then exit the room cause there's nothing else for you to do. The game has like 3 sets of spells, lightning, acid, fire. That's it. There is the crudest crappiest verson of 'The Matrix' available. Take the rest of the turn based world you see and make it blue instead. Very disappointing.

It comes with an editor tho! So, while I know you wanted a game. Here's a chore.
  12. Jul 25, 2013
    As a Shadowrun player I had a lot of high hopes going into this game. But they do deliver. One thing lacking is multiplayer, which hopefully will come soon enough. The graphic design isn't the top of its class but more than expected. The simple, yet advanced gameplay mixed with an in depth story line keeps you on point. Difficulty isn't to complex but does grow with the character.As a Shadowrun player I had a lot of high hopes going into this game. But they do deliver. One thing lacking is multiplayer, which hopefully will come soon enough. The graphic design isn't the top of its class but more than expected. The simple, yet advanced gameplay mixed with an in depth story line keeps you on point. Difficulty isn't to complex but does grow with the character. If you've never played an actual game of Shadowrun you may be disappointed. If you have, well this might be the game for you. Expand
  13. Jul 25, 2013
    The main word I have to describe Shadowrun Returns is "dissapointing". I have a massive problem with the way the game was designed and created in that this is more or less an ios style game. Whether or not that's what they are going for the interface is completely abhorrent and everything that relies on it as well. The save system is atrocious and the game would have gone up at leastThe main word I have to describe Shadowrun Returns is "dissapointing". I have a massive problem with the way the game was designed and created in that this is more or less an ios style game. Whether or not that's what they are going for the interface is completely abhorrent and everything that relies on it as well. The save system is atrocious and the game would have gone up at least another point if it didn't have this godawful save system. WHY? WHY? Why did they have this atrocious checkpoint system in a game like this? It makes NO SENSE. The dialogue is a mixed bag from horribly written to passable to good although most of it is not good and was seemingly written by a teenager. It is just so immature in relation to the maturity of the world, it doesn't fit at all. Gameplay is meh but that really isn't the allure of a game like this. Overall I am greatly dissapointed and the only thing I like is the artstyle. Which also shows another glaring error when playing at high resolutions: the character models. The environments are gorgeous but the characters look extremely bad at 2560x1400. They are pixelated around the edges, especially when besides cover (even with 8x aa one) and the detail on them is horrendous. All I could think about while playing this game was that this was a phone game that wasn't properly ported to the PC and technical issues are what hurt it the most. Animations, character graphics, the awful UI it all makes a pretty good game horrendously average. It could have been a solid 8/10 but I don't know. Maybe they needed more time. Expand
  14. Jul 25, 2013
    I'm a gamer for more then 15 years. I always believed, then in our days AAA studio makes crap games, because all they care about are money. But not indies. They are different. I've waited for Shadowrun as the triumph game of the year, 1.2 mln budget on kickstarters could something like Fallout dev team ever dream about it?

And so we have this game, its just average. Boring, linear. It

And so we have this game, its just average. Boring, linear. It was supposed to have nice story, but how can I enjoy it, when my choices doesn't matter? Somethis is wrong with this game in so many ways, like developers just care about getting salary, game has no soul, nothing, its empty. Meh, it could be so much better then this. It has quite potential, hopefully community mods are going to bring something fresh into it. Still, spending so much money for such a poor game has no excuses. It is so hard to enjoy it.
  15. Jul 26, 2013
    Kickstarted this game from day 1 as it's A) Shadowrun which I love in PnP B) The editor they promise reminds me of the good old NWN heydays. And while I don't regret backing (15$ was it?), I can't say I'm satisfied by the game.

As it is right now sadly it does not deliver. Pros: - The modding function appear to be nearly as powerful as promised - The story is so far very enjoyable

As it is right now sadly it does not deliver.

Pros:
    - The modding function appear to be nearly as powerful as promised
    - The story is so far very enjoyable

Cons:
    - Lack of Save system
    - Lack of Loot/inventory system
    - Poor implementation of PnP Shadowrun rules (classless system where you can be the perfect hero in every possible skill. Yay Elder Scrolls vomit)
    - Other various UI annoyances like switching weapons/scrolls/matrix programs
    - Lack of consequences for the choices you make

What flaws there are to the campaign isn't all too important to me, as I still remember NWN1's horrendous single player campaign, and it's still my favourite game after spending 6 years on UGC.

What really ticks me off is the flaws that sadly can't be fixed by plain modding. Granted, I haven't looked completely in depth yet. But as it seems the game as a whole does not support saves, is built for an iPhone UI instead of a Desktop UI, and has a wack implementation of PnP rules the core itself is damaged and probably unfixable by modders.

I doubted for a long time what score to give this game. But in it's current state, I can't possible go any higher than a five. I hope in a few months custom content and patches by the developers will convince me otherwise.
  16. Jul 27, 2013
    Really disappointed with this game. I'd say the worst thing about this game is that it's totally linear, I haven't played an RPG that was as on rails as this one ever (other than some Final Fantasy type rpgs). Dialogue choices have no impact on story other than occasionally allowing you to skip some task if you have a high enough attribute point. Almost no side quests and the onesReally disappointed with this game. I'd say the worst thing about this game is that it's totally linear, I haven't played an RPG that was as on rails as this one ever (other than some Final Fantasy type rpgs). Dialogue choices have no impact on story other than occasionally allowing you to skip some task if you have a high enough attribute point. Almost no side quests and the ones available have no impact on the story. Really no way to do anything other than follow the story.

Character customization is also not very fulfilling. Leveling up my character was boring and most of the time I didn't even bother with it and it didn't seem to matter. The system was designed so that the characters are classless but I found that it just made all the characters bland.

There's no loot and the items and cybernetics you can buy are uninspired and feel mostly the same. Obviously there's a difference between a shotgun and an SMG but between the 3 or 4 different weapon in the same class they all feel and look the same.

Tactical battles are also boring and don't really need any tactics to succeed. For the most part I had no problem just shooting at people to win battles, no need to take cover or use support characters or do anything tactical.

The matrix seemed tacked on last minute only because it was promised in the Kickstarter. There are only a few instances where the matrix is accessible and they are forced on you at those time. I found it to be the same as tactical battles, boring with no real point. For something so central to the Shadwrun world to glossed over in this way is very disappointing.

On the upside the writing for this game is great and the map editor will allow for a lot of community generated content but I feel like the foundations of the gameplay just aren't there so that no matter how much content is available it just won't be fun. Overall I feel like I would have been better off buying a Shadowrun novel or re-reading Neuromancer.

Also lack of a manual save is dumb and the fact that they tried to say that this feature would have been too expensive is lame.
  17. Jul 26, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a PC platform, role playing game that takes on the rules, themes and likeness of the popular table top role playing game Shadowrun.

Besides some minor likenesses of the game, you are going to discover that this game is incredibly stiff, limiting and lifeless. The tabletop edition of the game was ALWAYS about player decisions and interactions with the game world, rules were always secondary.

In this game, very few choices are made and the ones you do make are mostly in dialog and usually have the same end result. The game is strictly story driven and during this time they refuse to allow you actually leave the path they've written for you.

I don't know if it's based on the engine or the campaign that came boxed with Shadowrun, but the system is very limited, you cannot even back track into old zones unless the system decides the story needs you to. Sides quests are also very few and far between.

There's almost no side quests, one of the big things in Shadowrun was running missions, but I am finding that besides the ones that directly effect the campaign itself, the side missions are few and far between.

The NPCs are pretty much lifeless, it wouldn't even matter if they were there unless they are for a quest or something.

The game is incredibly restricting and limited. And the length of the campaign that comes with the game game is practically unacceptable.

It's an alright game, but something I and many other people weren't expecting. We were expecting more. This software conversion of the role playing system does it no justice or service. My advice? Take the money you were going to use to buy this game and get a copy of the SNES game instead.
  18. Jul 25, 2013
    Great retro style pc game. Very good tactical combat, classic shadow run style leveling system. What i dislike the the lack of a save feature, you have to rely on auto saves at checkpoints, and i find that annoying.

Otherwise its a great game.
  19. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is wonderful for anyone who appreciates a good story in a game: fans of the old classic Fallout games will love this. I've been playing all night and its 6:30am now and I can't wait to get back in to the game. The story is incredibly interesting and the characters are very well designed. there is a mix of humor and suspense, the visuals are awesome and the music is top notch.This game is wonderful for anyone who appreciates a good story in a game: fans of the old classic Fallout games will love this. I've been playing all night and its 6:30am now and I can't wait to get back in to the game. The story is incredibly interesting and the characters are very well designed. there is a mix of humor and suspense, the visuals are awesome and the music is top notch. The devs set out to make a game about what shadowrun is about: immersion and story. if your version of a good game is action and ironsights move elsewhere: this is a thinking mans game.

the reason it gets a 9 and not a 10 is it has a few flaws: the equipment/magic screen is terrible: you need to visit a shop to equip and unequip weapons and spells. This is especially jarring for spellcasters like shamans. Shamans are supposed to learn their spells from their mentor spirits, not from the quick-e-mart!
  20. Jul 25, 2013
    I have a real soft spot for turn based RPG games. The addition of the XCOM style cover system and the dark art theme brought this game to a level I didn't expect. II look forward to the community content and I hope this game has a very long life.

*** I wish people wouldn't tank game scores by giving games a zero. Do you really see the game as a zero? Did you dislike it that much?
  21. Jul 26, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns has good ideas, pretty visuals and a great atmosphere, but ultimately falls short.
    It is fun while it lasts, but it is a very short and incredibly linear experience and offers little else other than storytelling that ranges from interesting noir to groan worthy cliches, interspersed with combat that offers little challenge.
    While the game and editor offer potential, I
    While the game and editor offer potential, I have to judge the game on it's current value, which leaves a lot to be desired.
  22. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is dreadful. It takes linear gaming to new, never before seen levels, has extremely dull and simplistic combat, and because it has no manual save system, if you die and go back to a checkpoint, you'll have to reassign any karma points you had since spent. Just about the only positive thing I can say about it and the reason I didn't give it an even lower score is that the writingThis game is dreadful. It takes linear gaming to new, never before seen levels, has extremely dull and simplistic combat, and because it has no manual save system, if you die and go back to a checkpoint, you'll have to reassign any karma points you had since spent. Just about the only positive thing I can say about it and the reason I didn't give it an even lower score is that the writing is actually good, and because with the editor maybe someone somewhere might make a story good enough to suffer through the dreary combat again. Expand
  23. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is everything we were promised and more. Can't wait for the Berlin expansion and more campaigns to come. As the guy who made Shadowrun Identity: Life on a Limb, I encourage you all to play user-generated content (UGC), submit bug reports on shadowrun.com and join our team of dedicated GMs at shadowrunidentity.org to help create a 100+ hour community campaign. Peace, chummers!
  24. Jul 25, 2013
    I'm really enjoying this game. It seems like a lot of people are eager to judge it based on expectations for a baldur's gate like game, a skyrim like game, or other things that just seem completely off.

To me, it feels closer in combat to xcom or fallout. I was worried it was too complex to get into but have already started digging it I meant to start out making a samuri decker, but just through the skill system ended up making a pistol toting shaman and have loved finding spirits to summon in my surroundings. It's rare that a game gets me out of my intentions and it feels like the system itself is shaping my experience. I like the sound a lot, I like the character's quips, and I'm brought back to fond memories of the SNES game. Anyway, check it out for yourself.
  25. Jul 28, 2013
    I paid twenty dollars and all I got was a tablet game. I'm disappointed so many reviews are giving the main campaign a pass and scoring the game on all this imaginary user created content that doesn't actually, and may never, exist. Also surprising is the lack of mention of the tremendous amount of grammatical and spelling errors. I've seen better freshman level writing projects. The mostI paid twenty dollars and all I got was a tablet game. I'm disappointed so many reviews are giving the main campaign a pass and scoring the game on all this imaginary user created content that doesn't actually, and may never, exist. Also surprising is the lack of mention of the tremendous amount of grammatical and spelling errors. I've seen better freshman level writing projects. The most worrying thing is this game is the result after they got almost 5x the original asking price of 400k. I'd hate to see the version they would have pieced together for that much, since this is literally a tablet game. It probably would have been in adobe flash. Expand
  26. Jul 26, 2013
    I'm an old fan of the tabletop game and the Sega Genesis version of Shadowrun, both of which are amazing experiences.

Unfortunately, Shadowrun Returns is nowhere near those and is instead a linear, boring disappointment. Where to begin... How about the fact that this game takes what should be an open world experience and turns it into a graphic novel where you occasionally point and click and your character shoots stuff. Why did they feel the need to gut the tabletop rule-set? Are you telling me a computer can't handle some dice rolls? Why are there vast amounts of Cyberware and weapons missing from the game? How hard is it to implement Bioware when the exact description of the rules is available in old source books? Why is the matrix far more complex is in the 19 year old Genesis version? Why does Shadowrun have HITPOINTS?!

I feel that the developers were either lazy or incompetent. Instead of designing a linear piece of trash, they should have given us an engine with the underlying source book rule-set. Hell, they could have completely skipped the campaign and just really given us an open world to build with.

This game simply went in the wrong direction. Imagine a Shadowrun game using the Sleeping Dogs engine but with all the character customization of the tabletop game. That would give us a living breathing city in which we could craft our stories. You could steal a car, you could mug a civilian, you could do a run on a coporation, you could blow up your enemies apartment provided you were able to find it, etc...

Instead we're given lifeless level after lifeless level. The entire engine is flawed because it is based on hand designing every scene rather than giving us a useful framework and useful npc AI.

The only saving graces are the somewhat entertaining writing (of which there is an abundance) and the music.

Here's a breakdown:
    1. You can't save the game, you just have to play for an hour and hope that somewhere in there the game auto saved (if you missed the split second notification).
    2. Your choices mean absolutely nothing except perhaps losing or gaining a few point of karma.
    3. The world is not alive. Npc's stand exactly where they are placed and do nothing but wait for the player to speak to them (or shoot at them). The streets are not packed with people as they should be.
    4. The rules are typical crpg garbage. They had a chance to easily implement tabletop and they chose not to.
    5. The art is disney-esque. I distinctly remember and preferred the gritty cyberpunk art of the books.
    6. The list of shortcoming goes on for ages but it isn't worth continuing.

Listen chummer, if you want a real taste of Shadowrun, get an emulator and play the Sega Genesis version, it is somehow far more open world than this drek.
  27. Jul 25, 2013
    The game is good, but there are some major down points being glossed over by fan-children or sales representatives.

1) No save anywhere system. You can and will lose up to 30 mins. of progress because you did not hit the checkpoint. There is no save after a certain time either, its only on checkpoint, so if you have to do something, or are otherwise interrupted, you end up going back through a lot of dialogue and decisions you have already made, not just combat.
    2) Unlimited ammo. Got a sweet rocket launcher? Shoot it forever.
    3) Extremely linear; hopefully the user created campaigns are better.

Still probably a good game for a Shadowrun fan; if youre not a fan, you might want to wait for a sale.
  28. Jul 30, 2013
    If you remember those isometric games of old, the games like "Fallout 2" or "Baldur's Gate" and remember them with fondness, then this is MOST CERTAINLY not a game for you, as it lacks quite a bit of vital characteristics of aforementionet games, such as player's freedom of actions, multiple side quests, comfortable user interface, captivating gameplay and, for God's sake, decent plot.If you remember those isometric games of old, the games like "Fallout 2" or "Baldur's Gate" and remember them with fondness, then this is MOST CERTAINLY not a game for you, as it lacks quite a bit of vital characteristics of aforementionet games, such as player's freedom of actions, multiple side quests, comfortable user interface, captivating gameplay and, for God's sake, decent plot.

If you tried to play those games again in the recent years and found it to be tedious and prefer the more up-to-date game quality like "Skyrim" or "Fallout: New Vegas", then this is STILL not a game for you, as it most obviously lacks anything resembling a decent graphical engine.

If you are feeling nostalgic, then DON'T try this game at all, as if you do, you will risk a massive blood loss through eyes bursting due to uncontrollable fit of rage and aversion.
  29. Jul 25, 2013
    An absolute triumph of great design and overwhelming developer passion, Shadowrun Returns is at long last a worthy successor to it's predecessors on the SNES and Genesis/Megadrive, and a proud representation of the classic tabletop game.

Graphically, the game is luscious and stays utterly true to it's source material. Most impressive is the diversity of the classes in terms of gameplay. The matrix hacking element of the game flows naturally into the game, offering a spin on the gameplay which is a welcome distraction. Magic has been overhauled; no longer is playing a Shaman a chore.

The turn based system just works perfectly. Comparisons to X-Com are bound to occur, and they are justified to an extent, but it isn't a carbon copy of the system as it adds very definite Shadowrun only elements to it.

Another definitive Shadowrun feature is the Karma system of development. For this game, the Karma system lends itself to the RPG aspects of the title, forcing you to do good deeds to gain rewards. Whilst on paper this seems like a forced method of levelling, in practice it does well as it prevents the all-out turn based grind towards completion and compels you to explore the detailed world, held together by a spellbinding steampunk inspired soundtrack.

The core game is a bit on the easy side, and it is short (the £15 shelf tag highlights this lack of depth, but it's the perfect price point). That said, it isn't difficult to see how much this game is going to be built upon by a rabid fan base who have been baying for this game since the 90s. Six months from now, this game could easily have another 100+ hours of gameplay built on it by modders and the joyous thing is that the diversity and enjoyment of the game means that those 100 hours will be well spent indeed.

Shadowrunners everywhere, eradicate all memories of that woeful FPS offering that broke our hearts several years ago, get out your credsticks and buy this game because finally we've got the game we've been waiting for.
  30. Jul 25, 2013
    This game delivered exactly what it advertised it would. A spiritual successor to the SNES game, and it stays true to the pnp lore and a bit of the gameplay. Nice customization, and a fair story for $20. Add on the ability to create content, and this is one hell of a deal.
  31. Jul 26, 2013
    interesting design, good story elements, great nostalgia value, so why such a low score?

because i find myself not even wanting to play it due to the unreliability of the save system. playing for 25 minutes and have it crash? or suddenly need to shut down the game and leave? well get ready to lose all of your progress no matter what. no common autosaves or manual save function. (the ancient "save point" system was more reliable than this. i understand manual saves giving to much power to the player, but it's not hart to have a good auto-save system. look at dark souls, you can't exploit saves like in skyrim, but damn well wherever you are, you can quit and feel safe that you are going to pick up in the same spot without losing 20 minutes of gameplay.

heck, get to a new area with shops and stuff? better quit now, you can't adjust your stats and inventory before calling it quits.

it is just impossible to play this game comfortably when you don't know whether or not you are safe to play it, unless you have hours to dedicate. even then, it's unreliable for whenever you have to quit. just got to a new area, and going somewhere in half an hour? you can't be sure you'll be done it time. don't enjoy that sense of discomfort looming over your head do you?

all in all, a great game devastated by some unnaturally bad game mechanics.

recommend not buying unless they patch it.
  32. Jul 25, 2013
    An amazing game living up to the Shadowrun name. If you weren't a fan of the series before you should be now. Beautiful artwork and great tactical strategy elements mixed with true Shadowrun RPG style. Also the ability to create your own complete runs adds INFINITE possibilities.

This game has SERIOUS superior re-playability
  33. Jul 26, 2013
    Tabletop and Sega Genesis player here. This game has me pretty pissed off. As many others have noted--it is LINEAR. Wtf? I was so excited that I even survived the first few missions thinking it was a railroad track tutorial, but that the world eventually open up in glory. I even thought there might be the ability to talk to a Johnson and do a matrix run to farm some infos after ITabletop and Sega Genesis player here. This game has me pretty pissed off. As many others have noted--it is LINEAR. Wtf? I was so excited that I even survived the first few missions thinking it was a railroad track tutorial, but that the world eventually open up in glory. I even thought there might be the ability to talk to a Johnson and do a matrix run to farm some infos after I unlocked the main base, because, like a fool, I rolled a Decker. Totally disappointed. Boring boring boring. Roll a Troll Samurai with a shotgun to speed up the train to the inevitable, and disappointing, end of the game. I rate this a "1" because it is yet another Kickstarter bull$hit game so some burned out has-beens can ruin a great idea/franchise with poor, shallow implementation. The only reason it even got a "1" is because it put me in the mood to play the Sega Genesis version for the millionth time (and still enjoy). BOO. Expand
  34. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a great throwback to isometric RPGs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate. The released module's storyline is interesting, and offers a fair amount of replayability through different class/skill loadouts or dialogue choices. Combat is engaging, and plays similar to the recently released XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which in my book isn't a bad thing. Many of the systems in ReturnsShadowrun Returns is a great throwback to isometric RPGs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate. The released module's storyline is interesting, and offers a fair amount of replayability through different class/skill loadouts or dialogue choices. Combat is engaging, and plays similar to the recently released XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which in my book isn't a bad thing. Many of the systems in Returns are also very similar to pen and paper Shadowrun. A couple valid complaints that can be leveled at SR are that it has a checkpoint save system, and it is a bit combat centric, though the latter can easily be avoided in future modules. Anyway, what's been released so far is well worth the $20 admission fee, and the user-made content being generated guarantees SR a place on my hard drive for a long time to come. Expand
  35. Jul 25, 2013
    One of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had in a long time. Shadowrun Returns is what it is, unabashedly a throw back jam to the good ole' days. It's locations and characters are so enthralling, however, that I found myself getting giddy at the mere thought of expandable content down the road. THis first installment seemed to be a crash course in Shadowrun, and I feel likeOne of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had in a long time. Shadowrun Returns is what it is, unabashedly a throw back jam to the good ole' days. It's locations and characters are so enthralling, however, that I found myself getting giddy at the mere thought of expandable content down the road. THis first installment seemed to be a crash course in Shadowrun, and I feel like theres much more to come Expand
  36. Jul 25, 2013
    It will take you back to the 80's when games made you think. Yes you read ALOT and the story is heavy if you decide to take in all the information given. The atmosphere is simply amazing. With simple stylized graphics that would make any cyberpunk fan happy. It is Bladerunner and Dungeons & Dragons rolled into one sexy low priced package. If you played the Super Nintendo Shadowrun youIt will take you back to the 80's when games made you think. Yes you read ALOT and the story is heavy if you decide to take in all the information given. The atmosphere is simply amazing. With simple stylized graphics that would make any cyberpunk fan happy. It is Bladerunner and Dungeons & Dragons rolled into one sexy low priced package. If you played the Super Nintendo Shadowrun you will be very happy. This game is not for everyone but if you want something different then this is for you. I really wish more games were made like this, its very very rare to see a gem like this. With user generated content and campaigns, the replay value is limitless. Expand
  37. Jul 25, 2013
    i really liked the old snes shadowrun,ive read some books and i m glad that they made shadowrun Returns.
    it s a unique Setting and fun to Play but you will have to read allot and the save system is not for everyone.
    i love this game so far we will see if Players will Keep the game alive with new content.
  38. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is exactly what it is meant the be: The ultimate cyberpunk RPG maker tool kit. This is less a game and more a 20 dollar version of RPG Maker that is geared to make Shadowrun games. Considering that RPG Maker VX Ace is a 50 dollar program and you have to do all the programming, this toolkit is amazing. It's also integrated seamlessly into the steam workshop and there isShadowrun Returns is exactly what it is meant the be: The ultimate cyberpunk RPG maker tool kit. This is less a game and more a 20 dollar version of RPG Maker that is geared to make Shadowrun games. Considering that RPG Maker VX Ace is a 50 dollar program and you have to do all the programming, this toolkit is amazing. It's also integrated seamlessly into the steam workshop and there is already a community driven effort to recreate all the classic modules via the editor. BEST THING EVER! Expand
  39. Jul 28, 2013
    No manual saving. No VO. No choices with actual impact. Short. Mediocre combat thats a bad knockoff of XCOM. Poor writing with exposition dump load screens
  40. Jul 25, 2013
    Finally, a real quality old school RPG.

Crazy good story, Very fun and addictive gameplay, Character customization is awesome and easy. The game offer a good overall quality. This game prove something, Gameplay and story matter more than Special effect and eye candies. I hope to see more of that kind of game. I'm waiting for wastelands 2 and planescape, I hope they will be as
    Finally, a real quality old school RPG.

The game offer a good overall quality.

I hope to see more of that kind of game. I'm waiting for wastelands 2 and planescape, I hope they will be as good at this one.

Finally, if you like games like the old Fallout series. This game is a must to buy.
  41. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is nothing but an XCOM enemy unknown clone and a bad one at that. The story is incredibly predictable, linear and there is no depth whatsoever. The game doesn't even have a save ability outside of an autosave that happens maybe once every 30 minutes to an hour. It is not worth anyone money unless you enjoy bad cloned iphone games.
  42. Jul 25, 2013
    I am sorry but this game is utter crap. Its like a linear graphic novel with no impact on the story or choice in the dialogue.

The interface is made for tablets and doesn't work well at all with the pc. The combat is way too repetitive and offers little feeling of reward. Barely any customization at all. Certain playstyles are rewarded more than others meaning if you decide to

The interface is made for tablets and doesn't work well at all with the pc.

The combat is way too repetitive and offers little feeling of reward.

Barely any customization at all.

Certain playstyles are rewarded more than others meaning if you decide to play it not the way it was made for you are not going to have much fun.
  43. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is billed as being an amazing, in depth RPG with tons of choice and customization. What it actually is a super simplified version of Shadowrun that is planning on relying on user created content to make it worth the price; I was so completely bored an hour in (there is literally nothing to do but fight-- by pointing and clicking endlessly, with no need to do otherwise toThis game is billed as being an amazing, in depth RPG with tons of choice and customization. What it actually is a super simplified version of Shadowrun that is planning on relying on user created content to make it worth the price; I was so completely bored an hour in (there is literally nothing to do but fight-- by pointing and clicking endlessly, with no need to do otherwise to succeed-- and read endless walls of text. Reading the text is more or less just a chore, as opposed to an interesting plot driver, once you realize that nothing you say matters in terms of what comes next. Totally linear, totally simple, totally boring. Skip this one if you have anything better to do at all. Expand
  44. Jul 25, 2013
    It's a game designed with iOS in mind. UI is oversimplified. Moreover no manual save, no loot, no inventory, in a freaking RPG. All in all it seems very lackluster with the goal of being a quick money grab.
  45. Oct 18, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is like a Big Mac. Some people think that a Big Mac is the most delicious burger in the world. The people who know better know that it's not.

Now if you are here you are probably wondering why a game with almost 500 positive reviews have 100 negative ones. That's 1 negative for every 5 positives btw. If so, then I have one word for you, just one word: "fanboys". The metacritic score is of 75 is so far away from my experience that I made a metacritic accounting specifically to give this game a 3/10.

This is supposed to be an RPG. Not a tabletop engine (which sucks anyway because so many limitations are hardcoded and cannot be changed through the modkit.)

The campaign lasted me only 5-6 hours? and has 1 or 2 sidequests. This is fine if you are one of those who think that the Ipad is the best platform for an RPG. If so, stop reading now and buy the game. You will love it. Then, please email HBS and tell them that they are gods and they should quit developing anything for anything other than Android and IOS. If you have ever played any RPGs on any other platform that is heavier than two pounds, read on.

The story is poorly written. The story sounds like something written by a 15 year old and you should probably be able to tell how it's gonna end by the time you get 1/3 into the campaign. Those reviewers who applauded the story must have never read a decent novel. They probably also think that Jean Claude Van Damme's movies have such good plot twists, because the plot of the campaign is on the same level as the plot of the Expendables 2. The dialogue lines are as campy as Jean-Claude's lines from ANY of his movies.

Classes, races, and "etiquette" do not matter. "Oh hey you're a security guy, let me buy that from you for 1000 instead of 500" pretty much sums it up.

Interface is severely clunky. Have to click everything? Yes indeed. You have to click multiple times to do things like equip a medpack or whatever they call it.

Weapons do not matter. Anything can kill anything else. Don't like having a weapon? Doesn't matter either. You can kill anything in the game with your fists if you want.

No ammunition. this is 2013. They have magic guns in an RPG. Kudos. It's funny when you think about it, because mages consume mana, but rocket launchers shoot forever!

Oh yeah, the character models in the game are a little on the poor side, which I wouldn't mind if the campaign was non-linear and more open world, with a bunch of side quests and a good storyline, but it doesn't.

I did like the pet behavior, but I don't wanna add any spoilers so you'll have to figure that one out yourself when you summon one.
  46. Jul 31, 2013
    The game has an interesting plot. However there isn't much you can do to affect the plot, as it seems. The RPG system is actually very nice and original in my oppinion, as are the game mechanics (decking, spells e.t.c.). The graphics are old-school, but they are pleasant for the eye. I would give it a 8-9 if it was a bit more polished. It's a good game but don't expect it to be somethingThe game has an interesting plot. However there isn't much you can do to affect the plot, as it seems. The RPG system is actually very nice and original in my oppinion, as are the game mechanics (decking, spells e.t.c.). The graphics are old-school, but they are pleasant for the eye. I would give it a 8-9 if it was a bit more polished. It's a good game but don't expect it to be something extra-ordinary. Expand
  47. Aug 5, 2013
    I'm really enjoying this game even though others complain that the game is too linear. I love games with a great story line and for me, it's doing just that. It's pulling me in with a very "who-done-it" murder mystery and allowing me to fill in the blanks with multiple conversation choices. The side quests are great too, which add little tidbits to the current quest you're trying toI'm really enjoying this game even though others complain that the game is too linear. I love games with a great story line and for me, it's doing just that. It's pulling me in with a very "who-done-it" murder mystery and allowing me to fill in the blanks with multiple conversation choices. The side quests are great too, which add little tidbits to the current quest you're trying to complete.

Some of the things I love about this game, right off the bat, creating my character. Spending karma points seemed a bit daunting at first but then loved the way they built the skill tree like structure. Once I took a minute to study how it worked, it made so much sense and seemed natural. You want better melee skills, well you better be strong first. The other item I enjoyed is the art style used to create the game. The like camera angle and point-click was a great way to interact with the game. What I also like about the game is that anyone can make their own Shadowrun and present it to the world as user created content to get even more use out of the game.

The only two negative things for me so far are is that it's linear (but this is only a small complaint in my book) and the lack of save feature. The only way to save is via the auto-save at the start of each level. I must have had to restart the 3rd chapter 3-4 times before I finally had enough time to get past a stuck point and move on with the story line.

All in all, I gave the game a 9/10 due to the lack of saving any time or a better auto-save feature. It's still a great game regardless of this point and anyone that loves a RPG/Strategy game will be sure to love this, especially with the fantasy/sci-fi blend it presents.
  48. Aug 4, 2013
    Solid turn-based combat in a game that seems to have payed much attention to detail and world building. Every character you talk to has a good paragraph or two describing them, and you really feel like you're soaking in the atmosphere when you play. I was new to the shadowrun universe and quite enjoyed the unique vernacular of the world, as well, which did even more to suck me in. It'sSolid turn-based combat in a game that seems to have payed much attention to detail and world building. Every character you talk to has a good paragraph or two describing them, and you really feel like you're soaking in the atmosphere when you play. I was new to the shadowrun universe and quite enjoyed the unique vernacular of the world, as well, which did even more to suck me in. It's strange for me to say this, but the highlight of this game really was the conversations for me and not what most people would consider the core gameplay, that being the combat. The environments also look quite nice and suit their setting well, and I was surprised to find I actually liked the 3D character in a 2D world look the game had going for it, which I really didn't expect. There are definitely some problems with this game, though.

There is no save function. Not just no quicksave function. There's no manual save function at all. Everything saves by autosave which doesn't even happen that frequently, so if you're not marathoning this game in a day or two like I did, expect to have to redo small pieces. I don't know who decided that was a good idea for a PC RPG, but they're a real ****

The music can get pretty repetitive when you're in combat and doesn't seem to change a lot, though it works well for atmosphere when out of combat. I also had some small bugs, such as the text tree under a NPC's conversation with me being invisible until I scrolled my mouse over it, but nothing too serious. The story also gets a little silly by the end, but it seems to acknowledge it which kind of makes it hard to criticize. Probably my biggest gripe, though, is how linear the game is. There are a handful (and that's being generous) of sidequests, and besides that all you can do is continue along the path set out for you. That isn't always a bad thing, but with the setting this game lays out, I feel like I'd really enjoy being able to go out and explore the environment a little more.

I'd definitely recommend this game for people who enjoy cyberpunk books or media, or who have previously enjoyed the shadowrun universe. It's a thoroughly enjoyable entry into that unfortunately underutilized genre in games, if you can get over the trifling problems.
  49. Aug 5, 2013
    A wonderful game all around. Captures the feel of the game and several old video games. I've played through the game and the interface is very clean. I'm glad that the crowd source worked for them.
  50. Sep 11, 2013
    I haven't had much to do with the Shadow run universe however this brought back fond memories of when an RPG was actually that, it told a story and it told it well.
    PROS
    -I didn't have any bugs with this game which was refreshing -Storyline was great -Map editor and community access greatly enhance a games capabilities, looking forward to the custom content and user content CONS
    PROS
    -I didn't have any bugs with this game which was refreshing
    -Storyline was great
    CONS
    -Seemed to easy to go down some character paths, this may be inline with the Shadowrun universe I don't know
    -Didn't seem to be any real outcomes from your decisions so from that perspective it seemed to linear

Good start in my opinion, i got my moneys worth.
  51. Dec 6, 2013
    Backed it on Kickstarter and have to say i was expecting more.
    I've finished it, tried some of the user content never picked it up again.

Since seeing it's release on the iOS market. And re-analyzing the game.
    I can't help but feel the PC market was NEVER there audience on Kickstarter and the aim was to always make a tablet product.

Worth a playthrough for $5 wouldn't spend anymore.
  52. Mar 18, 2014
    This game succeeds because it captures the spirit of Shadowrun. The balance isn't quite there and sometimes the gameplay feels slightly limited, but it feels like Shadowrun and that's very important. It also succeeds in making an environment to create Shadowrun adventures easily and is a very promising start to something that was probably published in something like a beta state.
  53. Aug 5, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is an entertaining game, but also incredibly disappointing.
    First the positives:
    The atmosphere is exceedingly well executed. The descriptions and tone is spot on and the developers really outdid themselves here. The music is good. I enjoyed both the story and the combat system generally. Now the negatives: There is zero attachment to the runners you hire. You
    Shadowrun Returns is an entertaining game, but also incredibly disappointing.
    First the positives:
    The music is good.
    I enjoyed both the story and the combat system generally.

Now the negatives:
    There is zero attachment to the runners you hire. You cannot interact with them. You cannot equip them. You cannot upgrade them. Essentially they act as fodder to be thrown away as needed. Highly disappointing
    It's also completely linear. In fact, it feels like more of a point and click adventure than an RPG at times.

Deckers are near useless in the campaign with the exception of one mission where you are specifically told you will need one. My first play through I brought a Decker on every run to make sure I had the option. Unfortunately, the game does not recognize if there is a Decker in the group besides yourself. Consequently, I ran into many instances where I'd find a door I could hack, but the game wouldn't allow me to even though there was a decker in my party. They REALLY dropped the ball here.

While the AoE mage spells are good, the direct dmg spells are terribly weak. It makes Mages a bit of a liability.

Cyberware not only has pathetically small game effect, but for some reason they also jacked up the essence costs dramatically. If you were hoping to play a deck'd out Streeet Sam, think again.

All in all they had a lot of potential here but they just didn't come through. If you're interested in a Shadowrun game I would highly recommend downloading an emulator and playing the Sega Genesis version that came out nearly 20 years ago. It doesn't suffer from these flaws and holds up surprisingly well today.
  54. Jun 16, 2014
    They fixed the god awful lack of save feature so I finally sat down and finished the game. I really liked the theme, art, and setting. Overall, I enjoyed it.
  55. Jul 30, 2013
    Love what little game is there, but its definitely not enough. I have 10 hours in the game, including bio breaks, afk for dinner, exploration and repeating a level, and I'm finished with the story. Right now thats pretty much all the content there is. There are a handful of people who have started putting content together, but it looks like it's going to be a while before anythingLove what little game is there, but its definitely not enough. I have 10 hours in the game, including bio breaks, afk for dinner, exploration and repeating a level, and I'm finished with the story. Right now thats pretty much all the content there is. There are a handful of people who have started putting content together, but it looks like it's going to be a while before anything really playable is there. Perhaps in a few months a community of content developers will crop up and add some incredible content, but right now even though I love what little there is and the SR brand, I couldn't value this much over $10. Expand
  56. Dec 1, 2013
    You a DIY or weekend warrior? Then I've got the game er campaign editor for you! Introducing Shadowrun Returns!

So you recall the snes and the genesis game of 94/95? Where you were dropped in an open world free to suit up and level up your favorite runners and make loads of credits! Well toss those memories out the window sir as Shadowrun Returns does none of those nostalgia things of decades past. Instead immerse yourself into hours of editing and trial an error as you try and make sense of the campaign editor! That's right kiddies, this here "Game" offers the player one campaign and the exclusive campaign editor "new models and textures later to be released via dlc packs". The main campaign "Dead man's switch" will run on average time of 12 hours, but it's an example by the developers to show what you the player can do.
    Reading before the launch of this it read like the old games of yesterday, however on launch it was a slap in the face as the game only has auto save, unlimited ammo limited mana, runners that aren't persistent, one road path, not open world, no random encounters, reading tons of pointless reading "don't get me wrong it was a cute story DMS" but nothing mattered, choices don't matter, dialogue doesn't matter, karma skill tree doesn't work, deckers are useless, guns rule, drawn out battles where if you fail guess what back to save point to swim through loads of texts all over again. The list goes on as to how this failed to be a game and became a choose your path story book editor.

It's real true to tabletop DM style, where as a DM designs a run and players come together and play the DM run. However I fail to see the market in tabletop players even bothering with this as paper and pen is a lot faster to design runs on the spot. What happened here was the snes and genesis players of yesterday all came together along with some tabletop backers and pushed the Kickstarter well beyond their expectations. The only bright side to this lackluster knock off is the art put into the design and a editor "whoopee".

1.8 million in Kickstarter and all they pushed out was an editor and above average design.

76 critic and a 7.5 user For an editor, that's a skewed rating if you ask me. It should be 65 critic above average and a neutral 5 user as it mainly depends on people to make campaigns for it. You do all the work but we'll take the credit for making such a awesome editor mentality.
  57. Dec 2, 2013
    cool story, no gameplay.
    cool story, no gameplay.
    I loved NWN series and played them just to see where the story went, because it had proper d&d mechanics it was alright gameplay wise, but I was not able to suffer through this. I do not have anything against turn based combat games but the execution in this is just bad. The fact that you cannot save anytime you want makes it worse, it is like having to read a couple of the pages you already read in a book.

Speaking of books, go read a book instead of this. Rating it 5 for the intriguing story, which always constitutes half of my rating.
  58. Sep 7, 2013
    I am a bit torn about that game. I love the art-style, i liked the combat. I did not like the non existent voice acting AT FIRST but i got used to it. The storytelling writing was very good in the vanilla campaign. It felt like the game focused a bit too much on combat though you were rewarded for having skills outside of combat, but you simply HAD to have combat skills. i do not knowI am a bit torn about that game. I love the art-style, i liked the combat. I did not like the non existent voice acting AT FIRST but i got used to it. The storytelling writing was very good in the vanilla campaign. It felt like the game focused a bit too much on combat though you were rewarded for having skills outside of combat, but you simply HAD to have combat skills. i do not know if that is a trademark of the Shadowrun franchise though, because i have not played other SR games )

Adding an editor is a great thing and will do much for the modding community. I would have liked a "little" more character fidelity. We identify ourselves with the character in a RPG and while the game graphics were nice, the i would have liked to have an up sized, detailed char of myself. (yes, that is a very important feature for me in a RPG)

by the end of the vanilla campaign the game felt a bit more like a tactical Diablo and it was also too short by FAR. When i beat the game it felt like i had finished act 1 out of 4 but not the entire game.
  59. Oct 3, 2013
    A quite good game that has for sure the soul of the Shadowrun franchise. However, it is too repetitive to be fun for a long time, you don´t feel the impact your actions have on the sinister world, and there is literally no storytelling. In the end, I was entertained but disappointed.
  60. Dec 4, 2013
    I feel compelled to defend this game.

I feel compelled to defend this game.

Consider this: The original Fallout had a budget of 3 million 1993 Dollars and a crew of 30 people working for four years. Shadowrun Returns had a budget of 1.8 million, by Weissman's admission 35% of this went to giving backers prizes. It also had to hire 25 additional people (the original 10 wouldn't do for the expanded project). Start to finish, they had less than one year.

The "Dead Man Switch" campaign is too linear and lacks significant side quest content, dialogue options and opportunities to immerse yourself in a plot line directly impacted by your actions. However, these elements could be added to the game by user's creating content.

The combat system is well designed and allows for interesting player positions and strategies. Corpse looting is not a big part of the game. Baddies drop quest items mostly and your character can't hold so much. Honestly, I don't miss carting truckloads of junk loot to and from a fence. The game gives you infinite ammo (still costs actions to reload...mostly).

It's a bit buggy for me at times and I hate that you can't save until a level switch.

I have absolute faith that the fan base will create compelling levels for us to play and that this game, while not the most incredible ever, is catching a lot of guff it doesn't deserve.
  61. Jan 15, 2014
    As someone who never has the patience for games exactly like this, Shadowrun Returns was a good exception. The expansive universe of shadowrun is very well defined and it makes a very noticeable difference in the quality of story. I have no love for the sort of combat system it sports. My first experience with that style was XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which I couldn't stomach to play more than aAs someone who never has the patience for games exactly like this, Shadowrun Returns was a good exception. The expansive universe of shadowrun is very well defined and it makes a very noticeable difference in the quality of story. I have no love for the sort of combat system it sports. My first experience with that style was XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which I couldn't stomach to play more than a day due to the intense feeling of dead time while waiting for matters to progress. Shadowrun Returns managed to do it a bit faster and with much more fairness. The reason why this game doesn't deserve an 8 or 9 is because of serious unpatched glitches. Even in the most recent patch, the game has a hard time recognizing its own saves, and there were at least 3 levels that had to be completely replayed because of triggers being missed and disallowing progress. With a game like this, and only a single autosave per level, that's a massive unnecessary time investment to get through. Expand
  62. Mar 21, 2014
    Would have given the game a 10 except for the very short length of the main story. Regardless, it was a lot of fun to play through and I've done so more than 4 times with different characters.
  63. Apr 25, 2014
    I've always loved the Shadowrun universe since playing it on pen and paper back in the day. This game stays true. Well designed and written. I'm a big fan of the series.
  64. Nov 23, 2013
    There's a lot to like about Shadowrun Returns. Not the least of which it is a huge amount of fun. Fun marred by some silly but painful issues but still fun.

What Shadowrun does right is the turn based game is simple but still tactical. The story moves fast and leaves me compelled to read all the text boxes. A little mediocre are the graphics and more so the sound effects. Not a

A little mediocre are the graphics and more so the sound effects. Not a big issue unless you're expecting something that looks like XCom: Enemy Unknown.

What it does wrong is unfortunate and honestly feels like it could have been fixed with a couple of weeks more effort. This game only auto-saves. And those saves are few and far between (generally 15 to 20 minutes of game-play). This can be quite frustrating when a simple battles turns into a run of bad dice rolls and a character you didn't want dead ends of up dead.

Or, more annoyingly, when you need to shut down and spend quarter of an hour hunting for the next save point (Why not save when closing the parties locker?)

The next big issue (again a small programming issue) is that I run a higher than usual resolution but can only zoom as if I was running a much lower resolution leaving everything looking tiny including interactive icons. This is exacerbated by character dialogues that change the camera zoom. And there is a lot of dialogue.

All in a all a pretty awesome game almost broken by two small issues. Oops.
  65. Aug 7, 2013
    I wanted to really like this game, but unfortunately the reality fell short of my hopes and expectations. Being a kickstarter backer for this game, what I had hoped for was somewhat of a sandbox experience in which I would have plenty of side quests along with the main storyline, but instead was handed a short, linear campaign with a couple of side quests along the way.

Having said

Having said that, the game is fun, the main story line tells a solid story that feels like a Shadowrun story. You want to hate the villain, and you find your friends in an unlikely place. The combat is clean, engaging, and fun. The ability to hack into systems offer an interesting aspect to the gameplay, and I found myself wanting more opportunities to do creative things with it. Unfortunately, there were not multiple paths to achieve your goals. For example, one would hope you could creatively use hacking (called decking in the game) or magic (there's a similar astral plane that was never implemented in the game) to achieve your goals through slightly different means. This is, without question, one of the great untapped potentials of the game.

The game editor offers a lot of possibility of making your own sandbox experience, and thankfully, you can import your existing character if you are so inclined. The fact that it supports Steam Workshop works strongly in its favor, and already there are a few new stories to explore, as well as additional tools and assets for modders to play with.

Lastly, I found the experience a little quirky. Objects you can interact with has icons hovering over them, but the icons faded, and sometimes were not very responsive in coming back when I moused over the object again (I'm not sure what all that is about).

In summary, I'd say the game is good, but when taken on its own, the campaign's linearity and the fact that the main campaign is a bit short relative to similar games in its genre, pulls it back to "mediocre" territory. The editor offers the game strong hope for replayability though, and I look forward to Shadowrun Returns gaining a new life once the modders get ahold of it. I think they can make Shadowrun Returns what it truly could be now a great tactical RPG platform to tell amazing stories set in the Shadowrun universe.
  66. Vel
    Aug 17, 2013
    A great amount of potential for combining storytelling and the feel of the original shadowrun universe, the content simply isn't there yet. You can't spend $20 on the current short storyline, which only takes a few hours to complete and has little to no replay value. Once more content is created and comes out, it has potential to be a great buy, but now it just lacks too much.
  67. Jan 3, 2014
    Shadowrun returns is a good game, in the spirit of old RPG's. Graphics are so pretty and combat is very tactical (is a shame enemies in normal mode are too easy, but that's probably to avoid troll younger players). The story is fluid enough to keep you in the trail. With time, the game is going better and better. I don't complain about the Autosave, that's part of the game and you usuallyShadowrun returns is a good game, in the spirit of old RPG's. Graphics are so pretty and combat is very tactical (is a shame enemies in normal mode are too easy, but that's probably to avoid troll younger players). The story is fluid enough to keep you in the trail. With time, the game is going better and better. I don't complain about the Autosave, that's part of the game and you usually will not die so it is not that bad, but, even when I know a RPG is not a Sandbox, the campaign could give us more choices, I mainly missed a MAP, so you could move through the city. Some interface choices are bad too, like that avoiding you change your equipment until you buy something or reach your locker. In the end, the game is more enjoyable than a lot of big titles out there and it deserves everyone in RPG or Tactical mood gives it a chance. Expand
  68. Aug 13, 2013
    Rating: 7.0 I paid $18 and enjoyed this game. The learning curve is low enough for anyone to get a good start and the rpg elements are light. The quality of artwork on the environment was great, but lacking for the player models. There is a lot of writing and it does a good job at creating atmosphere and setting the mood; At the same time the writing also makes characters feelRating: 7.0 I paid $18 and enjoyed this game. The learning curve is low enough for anyone to get a good start and the rpg elements are light. The quality of artwork on the environment was great, but lacking for the player models. There is a lot of writing and it does a good job at creating atmosphere and setting the mood; At the same time the writing also makes characters feel unbelievable, placed and paper-thin. They are there only to provide a service or to help you move along. Shadowrun Returns is simple yet solid; The included editor gives the community a great set of content to expand on. Expand
  69. Sep 22, 2013
    SR is probably slightly overrated at the moment as we are still coming out of a drought in the oldschool tactical RPG subgenre, leading reviewers to grade it on a bit of a curve simply because there are very few games like it at the moment. Ultimately, SR is a competent, but as yet unremarkable old-school RPG. Future patches and player content may bring more to the table.

Hopefully SR's

Hopefully SR's first effort will prove to be just the leading crest of a small wave in isometric oldschool RPGs, because by itself it is somewhat overwhelming.

Pros:
    -Great user mod tools.
    -Solid combat system, though you probably need to crank up the difficult to experience any challenge.
    -Strong atmosphere, reinforced by the consistent tone of the (generally competent) writing.

Cons:
    -Far too linear to be a true successor to the isometric RPG classics.
    -Save system can be inconvenient (though I personally was only trivially inconvenienced by it).

TBD:
    -Unclear if SR's community will be large and creative enough to supply interesting community content.
    -Harebrained Schemes has heard the most common critiques of the game regarding linearity, save system, length, etc., and the next campaign ("Berlin") will attempt to address them.
  70. Oct 1, 2013
    I will not write anything new.
    OK game overall for 2, may be 3 runs. What I liked most about this game it reminded me of Fallout. Just for this nostalgia I give it score of 6.

Nice stage setup, nice story.

Very linear, very short. No drops and almost no loot.

$20 is a little too much for this game in my opinion.
  71. Nov 1, 2013
    I give it a 5 because it has mod capabilities and The Nexus supports mods for easy access. The game itself is linear, simple and quite honestly boring but you'll be able to find some nice mods out there which makes it playable.
  72. Dec 28, 2013
    The game is a mix between diablo and x-com and is quite fun to play.
    You have different places where you meet vendors for items, spells, etc. and other people that tell you about the story or give you a mission. The gameplay in the mission is turnbased and orients itself at x-com. But it's much easier to play than x-com, there are no different heights, and no real complex maps,
    but on
    The game is a mix between diablo and x-com and is quite fun to play.
    but on the other hand your team (you and your hired crew, for every mission you have to hire a new crew) has more variety than x-com, since there are different races and classes (normal soldiers, mages, necromancers, deckers. The difference between a normal fantasy game like diablo there are also classes for techstuff such as deckers, for hacking and going into a matrix where where also takes place turnbased combat between your decker and his created programs against enemy programs.
    It's quite fun to play and the dialogs are entertaining, but in the end it gets a bit boring. And it's not bugfree. I am now in the last chapter "the hunt begins", but there is a scripting error and I cannot continue, I cleaned the level, and a monster doesn't come out through a wall opening a new path to continue the game. It's a known error, I googled it, I might be possible to continue if I restart the level, but the problem is there is no save option, only an autosave option after full completion of a level, and the level consists of 3 stages and I am already in the last stage, and I don't want to bother running through all the 3 stages again. I have seen enough of the game and it's not evolving anymore that much. All in all, x-com combat gameplay with different character classes and magic in, entertaining dialogs and storyline in the shadowrun world told in diablo fashion. But does not evolve anymore in the end, and the combat is not complex enough, and it's not bugfree, there was no good quality assurance!
  73. Mar 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For a game with so few load-bearing walls, the lack of a more involved leveling system seems almost tired. Too tired, considering. We're talking an isometric-view game that you could run on a computer purchased 10 years ago...from Best Buy. If there's anything that should have been focused on in the game, it should have been the leveling system. However, it looks more like the creators started off nicely with the first 4-5 skills in *some* categories, then simply phoned the rest in with the back end simply having "limits" depending you race choice.

Story. Let's just very briefly discuss how asinine it is to have an RPG where the last boss can only be beaten with a specific weapon. What does one do when they level up only physical or magical attributes, and skimp on gunplay skills? What a horrible oversight.

Next, we have the rave reviews on the amazing environment in the game. I don't see it. I see a highly unpopulated world, where most of the people you meet are located in a bar.
  74. Jul 14, 2014
    Very solid RPG experience.
    About 15 hours playtime on the main campaign is enough content for a low budget title.
    The storyline is well presented with dialogue fitting to the world of Shadowrun. In addition you have access to the steam workshop with a lot of user generated content. Mechanics wise there is a problem with the hitting percentage which can be frustrating at times. 75%
    Very solid RPG experience.

75% hitchance often feels like its 40% at best.

Overall it is a fun experience, even for people who normally dont finish RPGs due to their length.
  75. Jul 28, 2013
    I started to play the game with hope, but overall I am disappointed.

The things I liked: - storyline written by some Shadowrun writer, enjoyed it - decking reality real time combat - music Things I disliked : - totally linear, your conversation choices are mostly neglected, lack of freedom you cannot even go through the city as you want, just game takes control. - no
    I started to play the game with hope, but overall I am disappointed.

The things I liked:

- storyline written by some Shadowrun writer, enjoyed it
    - decking reality real time combat
    - music

Things I disliked :

- no saving, just checkpoints which can make you to lose 20-30 min of gameplay. What is "Rewind and copy!?"
    - short, taken me roughly 10h to finish.
    - static terrain and actors (the background is very tidely drawn though)
    - no voice acting, not even the major characters (like in Neverwinter nights 1)
    - extremely simplified no ammo,
  76. Aug 2, 2013
    I love tactical strategy games and i love the cyberpunk style in games. Shadowrun Returns has it all, but is simply boring. There is no depth in the skill tree's, no voice acting and from start to end of the only main story it's simply boring. I was thinking it's only the start and i had to hang on to see the full potential of the game.. but after 3-4 boring hours of simple, non tacticI love tactical strategy games and i love the cyberpunk style in games. Shadowrun Returns has it all, but is simply boring. There is no depth in the skill tree's, no voice acting and from start to end of the only main story it's simply boring. I was thinking it's only the start and i had to hang on to see the full potential of the game.. but after 3-4 boring hours of simple, non tactic gameplay... THE GAME ENDS! NO MORE CONTENT! I was reading some reviews about this game before and i cannot get it.. 1.8 millions via Kickstarter and this is the end product? extremely disapointing.. Give me the half of that budget and i make a better game, really.. Expand
  77. Aug 13, 2013
    There is no way this game deserves an average rating of 7.6. Sooo many gushy reviews by fanboys. At best, this game is average, and I don't think it even reaches that high.

I was a fan of the original SNES shadowrun game myself, so I was somewhat excited about this one. The SNES game was dark, edgy, could be intense, and fun. This game, in contrast, is a real snoozer. You're literally tasked with reading a novel 90% of the time with mediocre gameplay for the remaining 10%.

That's all this game is: it is a slightly interactive choose-your-own-adventure storybook. Except in those storybooks your choices actually matter unlike this game! And I'm sorry, this story in Shadowrun Returns is terrible. It's corny and cheesy. if you think the story in this game is actually good, you lead a very sheltered life, and you probably masturbate to anime pr0n.

The game has high production quality as far as graphics, but the game is just not any fun at all to play. I would've much rather had a shadowrun game with crap graphics that is 80-90% action and fun to play than this turd. Overall this game is a complete disappointment and a failure. I couldn't even finish it and I have no desire to do so.
  78. 19x
    Aug 19, 2013
    Looks and plays like a 10 year old PC game you would find in a bargain bin.

Absolutely no variety in combat. Guns, magic, and the matrix all play the same way. The "Matrix" is the same combat system as the real world. Programs are spells, the bad guys are ICE. To call this game tactical is a joke. Combat plays like a boxing match I hit you hit me. No need to position your
    Looks and plays like a 10 year old PC game you would find in a bargain bin.

To call this game tactical is a joke. Combat plays like a boxing match I hit you hit me. No need to position your team. Weapon choices matter little. Shotguns are effective from across the room

The interface is point and click, but it struggles to work correctly. Often failing to find the click point of a item or a target. The entire game feels slow. Moving your character, going from rooms to room, feels slow.

Really sad the bench mark for this game is a 1994 SNES or a 1995 Gensis game, and shadow runs returns fails to surpass it.
  79. Nov 11, 2013
    Linear, only autosave, XCom clone, made for smartphones. That's about it.

I really, really love the artstyle though, and I just hope the Berlin campaign will improve everything, but since it's an iOS game and the devs are clearly focused on casual players and a quick cash grab, I highly doubt it.
  80. Aug 14, 2013
    Backed this on Kickstarter the moment it was announced, really hoping for something special. What I got was an over short tablet game, with occasional moments of near goodness being drowned out in a sea of bland. As other reviewers have pointed out the campaign suffers from a ridiculous amount of linearity, the save game system is poorly spaced checkpoint nonsense, and I wish they had putBacked this on Kickstarter the moment it was announced, really hoping for something special. What I got was an over short tablet game, with occasional moments of near goodness being drowned out in a sea of bland. As other reviewers have pointed out the campaign suffers from a ridiculous amount of linearity, the save game system is poorly spaced checkpoint nonsense, and I wish they had put half as much effort into character models and portraits as they did into the rendered backdrops.

All of these problems should be fixable, and certainly they could turn around everything I dislike about the game in a good expansion pack/dlc campaign.But the game as it was released is a 4/10.
  81. Aug 1, 2013
    This review is mainly for the campaign that is included with the game. While the game mechanics themselves are above average, the campaign is WAY too short.
    About 10 hours including EVERYTHING you can do in this campaign (which is, besides the totally linear railroaded mainquest a whooping 2!! sidequests).
    NO dialogue decisions you make change the outcome in any way, maybe you get a
    NO dialogue decisions you make change the outcome in any way, maybe you get a little bit more experience for one answer over another. The plot is absolutely predictable.
    On the positive end, some characters are well written (while others are atrocious).
    Some of the character classes you can make are absolutely useless in the campaign (Deckers for example. There is i think...3 missions that include decking, and those can easily be done by one of the NPC followers. So, if you make a Decker for this campaign, you are basically out of luck.
    A few words on game mechanics: Firearms of all sorts are extremely overpowered compared to magic or melee. A Street Samurai that specializes on ranged combat blasts through the whole thing without even breaking a sweat. Combat is too simplified for my taste, its like a budget version of xcom with 90% of the options removed.
  82. Aug 15, 2013
    I LOVE the Shadowrun universe and have been a fan for 18 years, but turn-based combat should be left for the pen and paper, it is tedious and boring as a video game; We have the ability to bake in those mechanics into the code. (ex. instead of AP and movement space, you can create action timers and movement speeds to create real-time combat that reflect if a character is fast or slow,I LOVE the Shadowrun universe and have been a fan for 18 years, but turn-based combat should be left for the pen and paper, it is tedious and boring as a video game; We have the ability to bake in those mechanics into the code. (ex. instead of AP and movement space, you can create action timers and movement speeds to create real-time combat that reflect if a character is fast or slow, clumsy or nimble, etc.). Please don't make me suffer through 10 minutes of a gunfight that should take 30 seconds.

I really would have enjoyed the game more if it had been built more like the open-world action RPG that was launched for the Sega Genesis wayyy back in 94'. The depth of the character level-up system, the endless amount of runs, the ability to just surf through the Matrix whenever, hiring a dedicated team of runners and specializing them....it is actually the reason I started playing the pen and paper version! Alas, there is none of that to be found in this title.

Also, the storyline was incredibly linear (although very well done), and I felt like I was just clicking here and there to advance a story book rather than playing a game and controlling the outcome. There were extremely few ways to earn extra money or karma, and since the enemies just kept scaling I didn't feel like I was "preparing" for the next big challenge, I more felt like I was just spending karma to "keep up" with where the storyline was forcing me to go. I even got in trouble sometimes because I would spend karma incorrectly or not hire enough runners, trying to save up for goodies, only to get stuck because I couldn't go back once I had traveled to the next location for the storyline. I even had to start over once because of it. Horrible gameplay mechanics.

The Matrix was pretty lackluster as well, it was just too easy to get done what you needed to in the Matrix. Both the pen and paper and action-RPG version of Shadowrun turned the Matrix into a place exclusively for deckers, that was challenging and required a ton of specialization to use correctly, but was extremely rewarding to master if you did. In this title, you are hand-held through the "mandatory" Matrix runs and don't really benefit from spending points in it. The lingo is dumbed down to appeal to the masses instead of retaining some of its true-to-life computer terminology. Combating IC is just as boring as regular combat. It was just a huge letdown, especially since I use the decker class in other Shadowrun games.

Lastly, I have to nag on the graphics. They were just WAY too cartoon-ish. The Shadowrun universe is dark and scary, full of seedy characters and dangerous creatures, and leaves you feeling uneasy about doing the simplest things, similar to the vibes of Diablo. I think even a small child would have difficulty feeling scared or nervous with how it is illustrated currently.

I really wanted this game to succeed, because it could lead to better Shadowrun titles in the future that fix all the problems with this one, but I highly doubt that the public will give it another go after 2 botched games in a row for the Shadowrun series. Harebrained might have buried the series once and for all
  83. Jul 31, 2013
    Games like this make me wonder what criteria professional reviewers grade on. This may be the most linear RPG I have ever played. There is absolutely no chance to wander around and experience the Shadowrun world in any way. The gameplay sticks you in a claustrophobic section of town, and you are never for a second in doubt of what to do next, because you have no say in the matter. AnyGames like this make me wonder what criteria professional reviewers grade on. This may be the most linear RPG I have ever played. There is absolutely no chance to wander around and experience the Shadowrun world in any way. The gameplay sticks you in a claustrophobic section of town, and you are never for a second in doubt of what to do next, because you have no say in the matter. Any choices you have as a player are irrelevant, the classes are just different glosses on two basic concepts, and for all of this at the end, all you get is some chitchat style dialogue and a page of text to read. I'm not interested in waiting around for the community to turn this game into something better, there's just not enough to work with. Uninstalling. Expand
  84. Aug 1, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a very poor game. I feel bad for folks who threw their support behind this game and myself for throwing an extra $5 at it.
    The bad:
    1. It's buggy. I've had to reload a map twice now due to uncompletable bugs. 2. The story is weak. It could have had some depth, but it falls way short. 3. It's very short. There doesn't seem to be any secrets or easter eggs so you can
    The bad:
    1. It's buggy. I've had to reload a map twice now due to uncompletable bugs.
    2. The story is weak. It could have had some depth, but it falls way short.
    3. It's very short. There doesn't seem to be any secrets or easter eggs so you can blow through this in 5 hours or so.
    4. Documentation is terrible. In-game documentation is sometimes cut off. There are incompatible skill trees that are completely undocumented. I'm currently running with 17 wasted "karma" points due to an incompatible skill tree that I couldn't know of beforehand. Online documentation is limited as well.
    5. Clunky interface. Nothing is clear, everything requires clicks. Basically you're buying a tablet game even on the pc.

The good:
    1. The editor. Hopefully the community will make the game they should have made.
    2. Although short, there is absolutely no grind. There's not even travel for the most part, just pure action which leads to a lot of bang for your 5 hours.
    3. The hand painted art is great. Gritty atmosphere without being too dark to see.

Conclusion:
    In the end they were paid a lot of money to do a minor Unity engine build so the community can build the game they want with a shabby interface. Does it have potential, yes. But from the community, they don't deserve full price.
  85. Jul 30, 2013
    Only one word can describe Shadowrun Returns: underwhelming. The gameplay of the included campaign is extremely linear. The mechanics are simplistic. There is no multiplayer support. The player can't even save when he wants, as the game uses a checkpoint system. The checkpoints could actually be better described as chapters in a book. As this isn't really a game so much as it's anOnly one word can describe Shadowrun Returns: underwhelming. The gameplay of the included campaign is extremely linear. The mechanics are simplistic. There is no multiplayer support. The player can't even save when he wants, as the game uses a checkpoint system. The checkpoints could actually be better described as chapters in a book. As this isn't really a game so much as it's an interactive novel.

Browsing any forum related to this game will reveal a common hope that Shadowrun fans cling to: player-made content. In fact, I've often read about comparisons to Neverwinter Nights. These people say, "well, Neverwinter Nights had a disappointing campaign, but the mod community made the game a success!" This thought process, while it does has some merit, is rather weak. First of all, Neverwinter Nights was a success because the game shipped with an interface that allowed an electronic simulation of pen-and-paper Dungeons and Dragons. It had a strong toolset for creating content, but more importantly, it had multiplayer support with the ability for one player to play host as a gamemaster. This gamemaster could create content on the fly and direct a campaign with multiple players, thus simulating the pen-and-paper experience. Shadowrun Returns does none of this.

There are no current plans to introduce multiplayer support with Shadowrun Returns. It's possible down the road, of course, but in the meantime, the most modders will be able to accomplish is to create single-player stories.

Furthermore, from what I can tell, the game editor is not as strong as some fans are claiming. From the FAQ on the Steam forums:

"The editor does not support the creation of whole new skills, archetypes or gameplay mechanics although you could fake some of the latter with triggers and dialogue (such as adding a workbench for modifying weapons use dialogue to interact with it and triggers to remove the old weapon from the player's inventory and add a newer version)."

Players will be able to add their own 2D art assets though. But I'm not sure that this will be enough to keep people interested.

All in all, if it were possible for a digital game to collect dust, I'd expect this one would be buried in a few months time.
  86. Jul 31, 2013
    The Good: Atmosphere, variety of character options, decent music, good story, nice writing and, presumably, future community made content.

The Bad: Character options, whilst varied, don't seem to matter much in terms of gameplay. Very limited and basic combat with no real strategy available or indeed needed. No exploration. Poor A.I. Finally, there's no challenge even on hardest difficulty setting since I stumbled around like a clueless fool and still only died once.
  87. Jul 29, 2013
    All you need to know: I was a big fan of the SNES Shadowrun game. I had nothing with the table top game, or with Cyberpunk, but I just love everything about it. Now, about 20 years later, I got the same vibe when I was playing Shadowrun Returns. 'nuff said.

Still, the game itself isn't perfect, and has some small flaws that may or may not be fixed in time. How about a pro/con list?

Pro:
    Graphics. While relatively simple, they fit this game perfectly.
    Combat. I'm not a big fan of turn-based combat, but SR makes it work. No hack 'n' slash action here, you need to use a bit of strategy to win some battles.
    Atmosphere. The game feels just like the SNES version, which was awesome. You are playing in the world of Shadowrun, not just pretending to do so. NPCs have soul and character, unlike in most games.

Cons:
    Linear. The game is EXTREMELY linear, something that just feels a bit outdated in 2013. You are forced to go from one location to the other, with no choice to roam free whatsoever. A shame. This game could have been so great if it was at least somewhat open world.
    Combat. While combat is fun, it can get boring fast. But that's generally so with turned based combat IMO.
    Playtime. The game is short. Before you know it, the game is over. Now I know that this game is just a basic package, and people are encouraged to make their own scenario's, but still. I would have loved it if the main campaign had some extra meat on its bones.
    Save system. The game works with an auto save system, yet it never tells you when it saves. If you suddenly need to quit, chances are you'll lose a lot of progress. Why? Don't know. It's not like a decent save system would wreck the game play.

All in all a solid, yet relatively simple and short, game. One that players of the original SNES Shadowrun will especially enjoy. Can't wait until more campaigns are added!
  88. Oct 10, 2013
    Amazing game. I didn't play the original game (in fact I didn't even know anything about it 'till I played this one). The first few seconds I was skeptical about me really getting to play the game 'cause of the very retro artstyle and high emphasis on reading and reading and reading more texts...

But then I just decided to give it a chance... and boy am I glad I did. This game has the

But then I just decided to give it a chance... and boy am I glad I did.
    This game has the soul that games like FF7 had. It has a lot of charisma in it and how the universe, the story, the soundtrack (AMAZING) and the design become one and sucks you right in all the way to the end make this game outstanding.

It's not perfect tho, you seem to be able to make a lot of decisions but it's all a lie, almost nothing you choose to do actually change anything in the game.
    And at some point I got a bug that froze the mission and got me stuck to the point I had to load an earlier save, like some script wouldn't happen or something... and that's a bad thing.

Other than that, it's one of those ''special games'', I really liked it.
  89. Jul 29, 2013
    Well, I'm enjoying myself, but I cannot tell if it's out of nostalgia for the SNES game or the actual pnp RPG, or because the game is actually good.

The campaign sure is very linear, the combat feels like a simplified version of X-COM as many have stated before, and the whole gameplay feels slow and even sluggish at times. Yet here is the Shadowun universe perfectly portrayed, an

Yet here is the Shadowun universe perfectly portrayed, an above average storytelling and the combat is just varied enough (and evenly paced) not to be a chore.

All in all, the 20-or-so euros seem a bit steep when one factors in the relative lack of depth (no amount of user-generated content can alter that). But otherwise, it's a nice way to be told a story, and Shadowrun fans should enjoy it for the most part.
  90. Aug 2, 2013
    The main Shadowrun campaign has taken a lot of hostility for not being open world enough or as endlessly branching as other traditional tactical RGPs, however this is, perhaps, missing the point. The campaign serves as an introduction to the mechanics and the core concepts of the world whilst keeping to a small, tightly woven narrative and for the most part, it achieves this, despiteThe main Shadowrun campaign has taken a lot of hostility for not being open world enough or as endlessly branching as other traditional tactical RGPs, however this is, perhaps, missing the point. The campaign serves as an introduction to the mechanics and the core concepts of the world whilst keeping to a small, tightly woven narrative and for the most part, it achieves this, despite resorting to leading players by the nose.
    Playing through the first hour and beyond, it feels as if harebrained schemes had the intention of creating a vast open world and aborted their effort early on in order to focus on the story editor.
    This means that while the main campaign doesn't fully explore its multitude of good ideas (ie; making creative use of the matrix/ exploring the many cultures, groups and factions), the editor seems versatile enough to allow to players to do that themselves.
    Having toyed around with the editor, I see no reason why open world, branching stories won't become available in the near future.
    Conversation branches are reasonably easy to create, as are convincing hand drawn locations. Given a little creativity on the community's part, Shadowrun may soon balloon with deep, engaging stories that go beyond the main campaign.
  91. Aug 10, 2013
    A solid, old-school tactical RPG that stays true to its source material and remains fun to play on followup character builds. SRR is very obviously a work in progress, with the scope hopefully widening considerably in the upcoming Berlin expansion. The editor is going to be its ace-in-the-hole, with user content building an effectively infinite number of 'runs for players to explore.A solid, old-school tactical RPG that stays true to its source material and remains fun to play on followup character builds. SRR is very obviously a work in progress, with the scope hopefully widening considerably in the upcoming Berlin expansion. The editor is going to be its ace-in-the-hole, with user content building an effectively infinite number of 'runs for players to explore. This'll be a good one.
    Oh, and to offer a counterpoint I actually appreciated the lack of an on-demand save feature. It required a little thought and care not to get killed. And your biggest setback was maybe 20 minutes of play, if that.
  92. Jul 27, 2013
    Fun game but deeply flawed: no manual or explanation of how many aspects of the game work, uses save checkpoints instead of save at will, many bugs (overwatch broken, some items purchased never make it into your inventory or stash, drone bonuses are lost when transitioning are just a few). The campaign is very linear and your decisions have little effect on the outcome of the game. TheFun game but deeply flawed: no manual or explanation of how many aspects of the game work, uses save checkpoints instead of save at will, many bugs (overwatch broken, some items purchased never make it into your inventory or stash, drone bonuses are lost when transitioning are just a few). The campaign is very linear and your decisions have little effect on the outcome of the game. The much heralded map editor is OK, but it could have been much better if the developers had looked at the Jagged Alliance 2 map editor designed over a decade ago as it is much more efficient at producing buildings and terrain, the SRR editor is pretty clunky in this regard.

All in all the game suffers from lazy developers, and it shows this all throughout the game.
  93. Jul 26, 2013
    Like every game, this isn't for everyone. The default campaign is short (took me slightly north of 10 hours without skipping sidequests), it has a check point system instead of save anywhere, lack of lootable corpses, and no voice acting. If none of that bothers you, it's worth a look. The story isn't bad, and there's a lot of dialog.

My main complaints are as an RPG, it's kind of

My main complaints are as an RPG, it's kind of lacking content. The campaign is very linear, not a lot of tactical depth to combat, no ability to customize anything except a handful of consumables on party members, nearly all hired runners lack any personality, and reactivity is pretty sparse (ie special dialog for race/gender is rare). However, where this game will really shine is future content. It shipped with an ugly but powerful editor that allows modders to fix certain things (more open world questing and lootable bodies for starters). The Berlin DLC is also planned to be more open ended.

Overall, a shallow but solid default campaign. The best of this game will come to the surface in the coming months.
  94. Jul 29, 2013
    Well it's a cheap game and it shows. Shot, linear, simple. Pretty much what you'd expect from a casual/tablet game. Don't expect a full-fledged oldschool RPG and you won't be disappointed.
  95. Jul 30, 2013
    Game is far too short, about 8 hours to complete it.
    The Tactical combat part is dull and far too easy and basic, not really tactical in fact.
    Game is far too short, about 8 hours to complete it.
    The Shadowrun universe is partly there, but all that make the game what it is is gone. Magic and Matrix are very badly representated, the skill system is gone and replaced by a diablo II clone. The scenario is interesting but cliche and is just not working in Shadowrun world (Invulnerable True Spirit not chasing player in the astral or even to the back street )
    A very disappointment that could have been potential.

The innability of the developper to manage permanent area or save game, will seriously curtail any attempt at providing interesting player made content.

Dont buy it, it is not 20$ worth... About 5$ worth for the 8 hours long demo, not a cents more. And please remove the Shadowrun Tag on it, there is no Shadowrun in the game engine.
  96. Jul 30, 2013
    I can not fathom why this game is getting so many good reviews. In my opinion this game is more of a monumental failure.

First up is the save system. I know I am not the only one but I guess there aren’t enough of us that dislike a checkpoint system to make a difference in the global video game market. I am not sure what the reason for this idea is, I hope it is not replay value. Because I can tell you there are games I have NOT purchased solely because of a checkpoint system, in addition, when I do accidentally buy a game with one, all I want to do is get my money back. I can not stress enough how much I detest the idea of restarting and entire level because I want to try a conversation a different way, or was one point of charisma away from using a charisma check in a conversation. I did not do enough research into the game before I purchased it, but if I did I may have just skipped this one all together. The idea of an RPG with this type of save system is preposterous. Harebrained confesses they did not have the money to implement a proper save system. This is a piss poor excuse for laziness, incompetence or a complete lack of prioritization. Graphically, the game is beautiful, so obviously some money and time could have been spared in this department.

Second, inventory and drops. Again I say..R P G.. I must have been sleeping because I missed the boat that took the idea of inventory out of a role playing game. When did this become a good idea? Even brain science supports the idea that video game addiction is based on a constant reward system.. WHY take it out?!?!? Additionally, when I frag a ganger, I want the satisfaction of striping his armor and weapon and selling it. It makes me feel better for the insolence he paid me when he tried to kill me!

Third up. This game is so linear it hurts, add to that this game is supposed to be... you guessed it, an RPG!!! The developers put corners into the game.. congratulations by the way. But the game would have not suffered one bit if they had made every level a straight line. I’m not sure why they tried to mask it with corners, maybe weak minded non Jedi types are easily fooled by such farcical attempts to add depth to an environment. The truth is there is nothing between point A and point B, no loot, and maybe one side side quest that will take you two seconds to complete.

Fourth. Writing and plot. I have to confess the Narrative, or the way the story line is told, is remarkable. The flowerful writing used to describe the environments, characters, states of being. It is truly visionary. There is no audio at all in this game so every word needs to be read, and I enjoyed every moment of it. It was a pleasure to “read” this game. The story line and plot however are surprisingly simple. For example, when I discovered who the Emerald City Killer was I was a bit taken back that the plot was so simple. I had in essence, gone from the feeling of reading a really good novel, to suddenly reading a child’s book.

To sum up, I guess I have been offended and feel cheated. I LOVED the snes version of this game, and was hoping for something grand and nostalgic. Something reminiscent of what a real RPG could be and what gaming used to be about. It seems like everyone is just out to make a quick buck. Max the sales with minimum effort, "go with the averages and we can't fail." Harebrained will be an excellent candidate for EA membership. This game may have been better if they just called it Call of Duty 16: Shadowrun Returns.

Amph
  97. Jul 27, 2013
    Well I've been waiting for awhile to play this game. I love the pen and paper Shadowrun and by proxy thought I'd love the video game as well. Well love is a strong word. I guess you'd say I like Shadowrun Returns, but certainly there is no love. I wish I could love the game, but the fact is there are just too many things that turn me off about it, the chief among them being the fact youWell I've been waiting for awhile to play this game. I love the pen and paper Shadowrun and by proxy thought I'd love the video game as well. Well love is a strong word. I guess you'd say I like Shadowrun Returns, but certainly there is no love. I wish I could love the game, but the fact is there are just too many things that turn me off about it, the chief among them being the fact you can only save at the beginning of a mission. Now that doesn't seem too annoying until you realize that a mission usually takes at least 15 to 20 minutes to complete, and some can take upwards of an hour. With that in mind, you die, you have to restart from the beginning of the scene. This can get really frustrating, really fast. Yes it's an old school method, a return to our roots, so to speak, but certain roots were dug up because the only thing that grew from them were trees rife with frustration.

Second is the class system. Now the problem here is that it is far too simplistic, harboring only a mere shell of the actual pen and paper game. The mechanics are fine for a hack and slash game that will only be played once and then put back up on the shelf until the prequel or sequel comes out, but that's not what most of are buying this game for. No, this was supposed to be our chance to have persistent characters that you could use over the course of multiple campaigns. I guess you could do that, but the fact is, there are so few items and so few abilities, you have to wonder what's the point?

Why would a game so full of possibilities limit itself to the extent that Shadowrun Returns has? The fact is most classes only have a handful of abilities that scale with your level. New abilities are few and far between. In the end you wont be seeing many new skills, but instead you'll be playing the same character, just with more hit points, doing more damage, repeating the same skills over and over and over and over... well you get the point.

Okay, so that's all my complaints. In the end I gave the game a six, because there are some good things to mention as well. First, unless you purchased your computer in the Ice Age, chances are it'll run this game. That doesn't sound too important until you remember all the games that require you to have a state of art system just to meet the recommended requirements. Second the graphics are sharp and I mean sharp. The details are nice. Third the user interface is well done, nothing new, but certainly easy to understand and get used too.

Now would I recommend this to other gamers? Certainly. Would I pre-purchase it if I knew how frustrated playing it would make me? Maybe. Is it worth $19.99, hell yeah. Is it comparable to Neverwinter Nights, Freedom Force, and other top down RPGs that have come along? Well yes, but it certainly falls behind those games. As I said, nothing new, nothing really amazing, but it's certainly worth it if you want to have some fun over the weekend. (It took me less than 16 hours to complete the campaign that comes with the game, just in case you're wondering.) My final evaluation, okay game, okay concept, but nothing amazing to write to your friends about.
  98. Aug 3, 2013
    What an astonishingly fun game! It's simple, it's unpretentious, and it'll keep you playing...and playing...and playing. It's easily the best turn-based tactical game of the last two years for me.

I came into it knowing that the default adventure, Dead Man's Switch, was only one of countless adventures that were already in the works. Sure, it's a bit linear, but it's pure Shadowrun, and it comes with all the options. You want your own custom character portrait? There's a way to do that. You want a particular piece of cyberware? It's probably there. You like player hideouts? There's one of those.

If you don't end up liking Dead Man's Switch, remember that so many more adventures are in the works, including tons of 2nd Edition adventures already being made for the game, courtesy of a group called Shadowrun Identity.

For such a versatile blast of a game, the price tag isn't bad either.
  99. Aug 4, 2013
    What a letdown. The idea is pretty great a top down Shadowrun RPG, the first of its kind in the electronic world since the since the SNES and Genesis days. Unfortunately, what has been released a game barely qualifies as such. The campaign is minimal, perhaps 12 hours long. The interface is clunky, and it feels antiquated in many ways. One button click to control everything? It wasWhat a letdown. The idea is pretty great a top down Shadowrun RPG, the first of its kind in the electronic world since the since the SNES and Genesis days. Unfortunately, what has been released a game barely qualifies as such. The campaign is minimal, perhaps 12 hours long. The interface is clunky, and it feels antiquated in many ways. One button click to control everything? It was designed for mobile devices, and it shows. Worst of all is the lack of a manual save feature don't want to play an entire map? Tough. Expand
  100. Aug 22, 2013
    As a long time fan of the western RPG genre, and a man who has replayed titles such as Fallout 1 and it's sequel, Arcanum, and Baldurs Gate over and over again, I see this game as a poor attempt at a game.

How is it that games that came a long time ago could offer a more sophisticated playing experience than this game is beyond me. No save feature made me have to go through the same uninspired dialogue options over multiple times, only to realize it didn't matter which one I picked. The game is on rails and makes no attempt at disguising the fact.

You can tell an NPC that "you want to", "sort of want to", or "have no choice" when presented with a quest, which makes the entire role playing segments devoid of meaning. It matters little who you are when an entirely different person would have done the same. Expect no replayability from this one.

Also, one cannot simply copy the modern reincarnation of X-COM's battle system, dumb it down, and expect a great final product. Whenever you fight anyone and anything in this game, prepare yourself to be dulled; it takes an obscene amount of time to complete an action, the hit and miss percentages are broken, and the animations are some of the more horrid I have seen since 2002.

However, this game has a great feature that most of the reviewers seem to miss; if you go to the game folder, there seems to be an application near the tool-set named "uninstall". Click on it, and pour yourself a five of gin. Just forget this game ever happened.
  101. Jul 27, 2013

1. Oct 5, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a bit more simplistic than I had hoped for, but at the same time it is not bad at all. [Sept 2013]
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a faithful reinterpretation (and in a vague sense, sequel) to the SNES game from 20 years ago, maybe a bit too faithful. Though most aspects of the the wild and unruly Shadowrun world is included, the promise of this game lies more in the open embrace of the mod community than the included adventure.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns will probably please most fans if perhaps not blow anyone out of the water. The campaign is well written and serves as a good introduction for new players. The variety in combat and character creation and dialogue options is great but suffers from a badly implemented autosave system. With lots of new campaigns on the horizon Shadowrun Returns is well worth keeping an eye on.