7.0

1. Apr 8, 2013
    This might be a game that takes a while to hit its stride, but what I played in three hours really didn't inspire me to keep going.

The biggest offender were the hit and miss puzzles. There were a couple I enjoyed, but for the most part I felt like I was going through the motions, and at worst they were either tedious or full of wasted space due to the sheer amount of tiles the game
    throws on screen at once. But really the big issue is that I never had to stop and think about what I was doing at all, and that's the whole point of a puzzle game, isn't it?

The severity of the story and setting also feels really out of place in very gamey 2D puzzler. I know I'm supposed to be looking for my kids and all, but it feels like if Pacman had cutscenes telling you it was all a somber allegory for eating disorders. I just can't take it seriously at all.

The music was surprisingly awesome though. There were a couple tracks that sounded kind of unfinished, but I'd probably pick up the soundtrack if it came out.

Again, the game might get interesting later on, but if a simple puzzle game can't hook me in a couple hours I'm just not interested.
  2. Mar 20, 2013
    This is the best game I've played in a long time. I really can't recommend this highly enough. The story is engaging, the music is incredible, the gameplay is nostalgic and innovative. It's almost like The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and the Adventures of Lolo had a lovechild. Plus, they include the same editor that they used to create the levels. Really, what are you waiting for?
  3. Mar 20, 2013
    A really fun game that mixes Zelda like overworld-gameplay (and I am speaking of Zelda I and III here, folks!) with up to 100 levels filled to the brim with environmental puzzles accessed from there. The goal of each level is either to kill all zombies (called Grays here which are quite a different breed from your regular zombies) using the environment and what tools, traps and weapons you can forage from it or to escape from maze-like structures filled with switches, secret passages and more.

What makes this game really stand out is it's story and musical score, again composed or remastered by the intrepid Pablo Vega. All the overworld areas are bound together by the tale of Darrel and Mary and their quest to recover their four-year-old daughter Lela, whom they raised in the midst of the Gray Apocalypse, along with the boy Pierce, whom they took in after he lost his family in the wilds, while being caught up in the struggle of two eldritch horrors. The game features a branching story arc with multiple distinctive endings along with a "New Game Plus" feature to continue your quest and visit those areas you missed before (along with being able to find some treats not available before). The soundtrack might well be one of the best yet produced by Pablo Vega and does an awesome job on creating an engaging atmosphere and setting the scene for the story, which is told through a big number of comic panel based cutscenes, some of which feature brilliant voice acting by Prince Taylor (it is ridiculous how much atmosphere is created alone by his impersonation of Darrel) and loads of in-engine cutscenes.

The art of he game has been created by Heavy Cat Studios, this being their second joint venture with Arcen after Valley 2, and does a great job creating a polished but still retro look & feel for the game (think SNES with a higher resolution here). Throw in some really nice weather and particle effects to complete the package and what you get is a fitting presentation.

Finally the game can be controlled using keyboard & mouse or a gamepad controls, both of which are working flawlessly (I recommend using a gamepad, though).

1. May 31, 2013
    A bountiful adventure game with a lot of personality, but one that suffers from its own ambition. [June 2013, p.82]
  2. Apr 1, 2013
    Shattered Haven's inert levels and unwillingness to let you naturally learn obscure its more brilliant moments.
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Overall, Shattered Haven is a decent game for its low price. It features a standard narrative with a few twists and turns to keep things interesting.