7.3

1. May 4, 2012
    I must agree with some of the reviews - the puzzles are... well... either too easy (you just follow the plot and do whatever Homes says) or make no sense whatsoever. If you are looking for an adventure where you solve an inventive riddle using your mind - look some place else: this rendition of Holmes has no such puzzles. That said, the game still has some grabbing power - the intermixing of Lovecraft and Conan Doyle is quiet inventive and innovative; the execution of such **** however, suffers from lack of detail and general harmony between the two. Any adventure fan, or Holmes fan, or Lovecraft fan for that matter should definitely try this title considering the fact it is on sale on Steam for 2 bucks or so. But i would definitely not recommend it to an Adventure (Quest) fan of oldschool or newage. Expand
  2. May 8, 2014
    A quick review on this one, because I couldn't bear myself to play the game any further...

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened is very much a game I wanted to love. I wasn't put off by the outdated graphics, so I was expecting solid gameplay, solid voice acting and solid writing to compensate.

Sadly, none of that is the case here. I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes, (particularly Jeremy
    Brett Holmes) so I do expect a certain level of a quality when it comes to these games to set them apart.

I've tried the other Sherlock Holmes games in the past and found them completely and utterly devoid of essence of what Sherlock Holmes should be. This game does no better, although it does improve on several designs, namely the remastered edition that features a 1st person mode. However the game should be reviewed in its original state.

To summarise:

Voice Acting - Dreadful. The only decent voice acting that game from this is Watson. Holmes was flat, dry and contained none of the eccentricity that the character should have. It was as if they hired Microsoft Sam to take the part of Holmes in this one. I can't say their support cast were great either. There is one scene in which Holmes is speaking to a (indian?) foreigner in their native language, and it had me in stitches at just how bad it was. I was literally face palming.

Theme: I'm a fan of Cthulhu. Not a huge fan, but I've read the books and anything Cthluhu related gets my juices flowing, so this is why I really wanted to like this game. However, since I didn't play the game through its fullest it would be unfair to review it in full on this (despite looking up the plot after). I can say however that from what I played of it, the premise was not exactly subtle, which is a bad thing in my books.

Writing: Really bad. Enough sad on this the better I reckon.

Setup/Puzzles: The general logical setup had me stumped. Why was Holmes interested in a book on piracy (it has relevance to the plot later, but why at the start?) and fish (again relevance, but much later) at the start... These were books that would be useful later on, but at the very start you acquire them despite not having any need of them. It was nothing but lazy writing and plot setup. I can say the same for a lot of the detective work.

I would like to say more but want to avoid spoilers, but I found the whole way they laid out the puzzles as bizarre.

The very mention of Sherlock Holmes is enough to award some merit, and the gameplay isn't half bad either. Players thirsty for a classic adventure should give it a shot.
  2. The combination of Holmes and Cthulhu works very well. The puzzles are challenging but realistic, and the plot is intriguing. On the minus side, there is too much running to and fro and sometimes the 3D environment makes it hard to find the needed things. [Feb 2007]
  3. Those who are only interested in Eye Candy or who are squeamish at the sight of blood should probably look elsewhere. But those who like a good story and lots of inventory based puzzles should enjoy it.