6.7

1. Dec 31, 2012
    Absolutely hilarious game. Everything about it suggests it's made for young American children. Whimsical kings who make random demands for money; Natives without land borders (allowing you to traipse all over their land); Natives who don't mind you pillaging their burial sites (i'm serious, you can literally pillage native burial sites for money, and nobody will mind). The game serves asAbsolutely hilarious game. Everything about it suggests it's made for young American children. Whimsical kings who make random demands for money; Natives without land borders (allowing you to traipse all over their land); Natives who don't mind you pillaging their burial sites (i'm serious, you can literally pillage native burial sites for money, and nobody will mind). The game serves as another piece of US propaganda to pretend the revolution wasn't simply about colonial greed, and that it was "really" about "freedom" from "oppression". Bwah-hahahahahahaha. As for the gameplay, if you enjoyed Civ IV, this is essentially Civ without all the interesting bits. Expand
  2. Nov 20, 2012
    I was a big fan of the original Colonization, and this remake did not disappoint. It's based on the same engine as Civ IV, so definitely a graphics upgrade. The gameplay is similar, perhaps not quite as deep as the original Colonization in some areas, but better in others. Overall, if you liked the original, get this version for sure. If you never played the original, your in for a treatI was a big fan of the original Colonization, and this remake did not disappoint. It's based on the same engine as Civ IV, so definitely a graphics upgrade. The gameplay is similar, perhaps not quite as deep as the original Colonization in some areas, but better in others. Overall, if you liked the original, get this version for sure. If you never played the original, your in for a treat with this. Expand
  3. Aug 31, 2011
    I didn't expect this. Didn't really like the game. I loved the original one but this was a disaster. The changes made the game boring and expectable. I wasn't impressed.
  4. Apr 6, 2013
    Outstanding game! With all of the DLC (expansion stuff) this game is great... Civilization II was awesome, but I think that Civilization 4 is the best of the series.
  5. Nov 2, 2011
    Not much improved over the original DOS colonization game gameplay wise, but still a great graphical upgrade even if that is all it is (plus mediocre AI).
  6. Mar 3, 2012
    The new Colonization, although not a totally faithful remake, is pretty close to the mark and offers some fun gameplay for new and old players alike. However, the difficulty of the game maybe off-putting for some and the old-school micromanagement may seem annoying too. However considering the price, you really can't complain too much and if you want to play a game that simulates theThe new Colonization, although not a totally faithful remake, is pretty close to the mark and offers some fun gameplay for new and old players alike. However, the difficulty of the game maybe off-putting for some and the old-school micromanagement may seem annoying too. However considering the price, you really can't complain too much and if you want to play a game that simulates the colonisation of the New World and the War of Independence, there's no better game out there than this. Expand
  7. Jan 9, 2013
    I'm a fan of the Civ franchise, so I bought the Civ IV game with all the expansions. I really like this one because it lets me focus on one era and I always wanted to stay in the same time period. I don't have to worry about science upgrades, that way, I know that the other guys have the same stuff as I do. The only reason I didn't give it a higher score is because I bought it on steamI'm a fan of the Civ franchise, so I bought the Civ IV game with all the expansions. I really like this one because it lets me focus on one era and I always wanted to stay in the same time period. I don't have to worry about science upgrades, that way, I know that the other guys have the same stuff as I do. The only reason I didn't give it a higher score is because I bought it on steam and it doesn't have a manual and the tutorial is basically pop up that happen as you figure stuff out. No really a walkthrough. Sure it's not a perfect game and the king can be annoying, but it's not hard and can be a little educational. I noticed some people found some stuff about the game that I think is a little over analytical for a game, but some people like to nit pick over everything. Overall I would recommend it if you didn't buy the complete package like I did. Expand
  8. Dec 1, 2012
    If you love the original Colonization like I am, you will love this updated version. It is instant buy when it goes on sale. More of the same original, and that's the best part.
  9. Jun 7, 2013
    I don't really understand all the negative criticism, because I for one love this game. I purchased Colonization about a year ago and then decided a few months later to purchase Civ IV: The Complete Edition, and I actually enjoy Colonization more. Everyone has their own opinions and I respect that, but don't flame a game just because you don't like it or it didn't meet your expectations.I don't really understand all the negative criticism, because I for one love this game. I purchased Colonization about a year ago and then decided a few months later to purchase Civ IV: The Complete Edition, and I actually enjoy Colonization more. Everyone has their own opinions and I respect that, but don't flame a game just because you don't like it or it didn't meet your expectations. This is a super fun game with lots of replay value. Great job Sid! 10/10. Expand
  10. Dec 10, 2014
    This game was a disappointment at release. But a mod make it totally fresh, right now!

Most games have a very finite lifecycle: you play a story from start to end, explore their features and leave them. This is not necessary true to PC games. I think this is one such case. The original Colonization IV game had lot of flaws that disappointed greatly the fans of the original Colonization

This is not necessary true to PC games. I think this is one such case. The original Colonization IV game had lot of flaws that disappointed greatly the fans of the original Colonization game, and made it kind of shallow... A game to be played once and then leave it.

But then, the people at Firaxis released the game mechanics source code, and some great guys at Germany / Switzerland developed the "The Authentic Colonization" mod (TAC 2.0.3)..
    And this changed greatly the game experience, bringing it closer to the original Colonization... New victory conditions, Portugal as a player, overall game balancing, random events and decisions, quests...
    This made this game fresh, with lots of new opportunities to explore.

At release, I would give this game a 5. Now I give it an 8.
  11. Sep 25, 2014
    Do you like micromanagement? You'll love it. Otherwise, run away! Some features of this game could be adapted to the other Civ, with success I think. This very game looks unfinished to me.
  12. Jan 5, 2014
    I confirm what the others have said before the AI makes strange assignement d├ęcisions, the trade routes and the import/export features are tedious (if not buggy), the european units are too powerful. Too much time is spent on manual actions such as loading/unloading carts and ships. It has so many gameplay flaws i can't cite them all. Moreover, Steam says that I played 49 hours but stillI confirm what the others have said before the AI makes strange assignement d├ęcisions, the trade routes and the import/export features are tedious (if not buggy), the european units are too powerful. Too much time is spent on manual actions such as loading/unloading carts and ships. It has so many gameplay flaws i can't cite them all. Moreover, Steam says that I played 49 hours but still I never figured how to win againt the wave of units from europe...

Being a big fan of Civ games, I never got in the game and found it at most boring.

1. The random map generator, several unique factions and difficulty levels, and many approaches to the ultimate goal of independence give Colonization as much replay value as any title you care to name. [Oct 2008, p.112]
    What is particularly interesting about Colonization, as against the Civ games, is the relationships between the different factions. There isn't, for example, the same emphasis on war.
  3. If you missed Col the first time around (and most of you probably did), now is an excellent chance to pick it up and dive into the colonial era. [Nov 2008, p.62]