3.0

1. Sep 22, 2010
    This game was a huge disappointment. There is an inherent mouse lag that makes the game almost enjoyable despite it's reasonable graphics. The user interface is clunky, unintuitive and downright buggy in parts. It has a steep learning curve, slow to load and frustrating. Feels half finished - don't waste your time or money.
  2. May 28, 2013
    Rushed and half Broken. Having played SilentHunter3 (a good but very mixed experience), I waited till 2013 to get SH5 for £4, hoping most of the flaws had been ironed out. No luck. I really wanted to like this game, but even with all patches and some mods, its still a mess. It takes forever to load, the interface is bad, the graphics are not as good as the trailers suggest, It is tooRushed and half Broken. Having played SilentHunter3 (a good but very mixed experience), I waited till 2013 to get SH5 for £4, hoping most of the flaws had been ironed out. No luck. I really wanted to like this game, but even with all patches and some mods, its still a mess. It takes forever to load, the interface is bad, the graphics are not as good as the trailers suggest, It is too arcade (no matter the difficulty setting), the music and voice acting is bad, and the Uplay DRM is still horrible (but it does have a half-baked offline mode). As of May 2013 there is still no decent fix-all super-mod out there. AVOID! Expand
  3. Jun 3, 2012
    This really really sucks. this review makes me look like a negative nancy but im just seein alot of crappy games lately peace out. yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahhhhhhhhhhhhh bros
  4. Dec 16, 2013
    Someone please make a patch so SH3 can be played on the new Windows! Or, better yet, plug in the SH5 Graphics into the SH3 engine!!! Because SH5 is SOOOOooo boring. Sooooooo system demanding...when it doesn't need to be (my system should hack it with no problem but this game is sticky). and, finally the game is unfinished. Not to mention the worst....you have to be online to play it.
  5. Jan 20, 2011
    I can't describe the joy I thought I would get from this game. The first few hours of play, was perfect as I stumbled around the new features. But as I attempted to get conformable, I started to notice the poor and mixed up mess that was the crew and submarine commands. Just to state an example: The "Dept Under Keel" is one of my most used commands, so I don't end up ramming into the seaI can't describe the joy I thought I would get from this game. The first few hours of play, was perfect as I stumbled around the new features. But as I attempted to get conformable, I started to notice the poor and mixed up mess that was the crew and submarine commands. Just to state an example: The "Dept Under Keel" is one of my most used commands, so I don't end up ramming into the sea floor. I like using that opposed to the external camera and looking...which in my opinion is cheating. Yet, this is what I had to do within SH5. From buggy gameplay, to the almost useless new control config, SH5 doesn't even top SH3's ease of gameplay. Expand
  6. Jan 22, 2012
    I'm an avid fan of the Silent Hunter series. So much so that even with all the negative reviews I decided to get 5. Oh boy. Where to begin.... Basically they removed all the good features from SH3 and SH4, added a "meh" UI, sort of improved crew management, improved graphics (yay, but duh), and floundered around with everything else. Tutorial is non existent. Auto TDC sucks (you aimI'm an avid fan of the Silent Hunter series. So much so that even with all the negative reviews I decided to get 5. Oh boy. Where to begin.... Basically they removed all the good features from SH3 and SH4, added a "meh" UI, sort of improved crew management, improved graphics (yay, but duh), and floundered around with everything else. Tutorial is non existent. Auto TDC sucks (you aim where my periscope/uzo is looking? WTF? that's completely and utterly stupid. Who the heck is going to look 30 degrees in front of the boat they're aiming at? Meaning you pretty much have to learn how to manual TDC. Saving/loading is still bugged to F***, which is awesome because there's nothing more fun than simulating driving across the atlantic for an hour. Take simple stuff like "wanting to skip the tutorial" (because it's useles), no option for that until you've already beat the tutorial but if you accidentally restart the tutorial, the option to skip the tutorial is removed (Think about that one). You still haven't added an in-game clock to the UI. Bugs galore. A few small steps forward in some areas, and giant leaps backwards in others. Sigh. Expand
  7. Oct 11, 2013
    I have played all the Silent Hunter games except for SH2, this game is by far the worst Silent Hunter game EVER!

All the keyboard shortcuts are wrong, the crew is more retarded then normal, there are still tons of bugs years after release, random crashes, etc. I would say this game is worth about 99 cents, it's a complete POS game by a complete POS publisher. Just don't by Ubisoft

Just don't by Ubisoft games anymore, I know I won't. They do not treat you right and they deserve to fail as a company because they are a greedy trash company that produces trash games.

You are better then Ubisoft, stay well away from anything they produce. All they care about is money, they are worse then EA and I don't buy EA games anymore ether.
  8. Sep 11, 2014
    This game is OK.... I mean like it is okay when it works, like 25% of the time I don't like how this game is so unfinished. UBISOFT please put effort into your work.

Essentially, Silent Hunter 5 is what it is: the fifth installment of a submarine simulation series. Graphically, it’s bounds and leaps forward and the new inside perspective adds to the realism. Sim fans will get what they want, with loads of options to make the game even more realistic if required. It’s accessible for those not particularly seeking realism. Sailing, simple manoeuvres, firing torpedo’s. The new interface adds to this ease. Everything is reached with simple mouse clicks and intricate menu’s are nowhere near this game. However, everything takes its time, which some people might not appreciate. Sailing from one point to another, searching for enemies, sinking them, getting new supplies, finding enemies again, etc. SimCity and Anno also require lots of time investment, which is what this title also has, and that’s how you discover the true strength of the game. That’s what makes Silent Hunter 5 mainly a game for those with patience.
  2. In all, the game seems to alternate between a wonderful, engrossing experience and a frustrating, incomplete one - and while we can hope that upcoming patches fix many of these (often niggling, sometimes major) problems, for the moment, Silent Hunter 5 remains a interesting but partially-broken game.
  3. As a game, Silent Hunter 5 fails because the bugs and UI render it a chore. As a simulation, it fails because the bugs and UI render it ridiculous and incomplete. As a product, it's just overwhelming disrespectful to this long running series' fans. And finally, as one of the first games to receive Ubisoft's new copy protection, it's an embarrassment.