SimCity Societies PC

4.3

1. Jan 27, 2012
    Seriously. EA, NEVER LET A CRAPPY ARMATURE DEVELOPER DEVELOP FOR ONE OF YOUR GOOD FRANCHISES, EVER, EVER, AGAIN. This is really, one of the worst games ive ever played. It crashes for no reason, it locks up, and several other problems make this a very horrible experience. This game is bad. Ive got a high end PC as well. Please EA, make us a REAL simcity 5. No wait. LET MAXIS DO IT. YOUSeriously. EA, NEVER LET A CRAPPY ARMATURE DEVELOPER DEVELOP FOR ONE OF YOUR GOOD FRANCHISES, EVER, EVER, AGAIN. This is really, one of the worst games ive ever played. It crashes for no reason, it locks up, and several other problems make this a very horrible experience. This game is bad. Ive got a high end PC as well. Please EA, make us a REAL simcity 5. No wait. LET MAXIS DO IT. YOU GUYS ARE BAD TOO. Look what you did to the sims. The sims 1 and 2 were fun. But you give us a watered down crappy sims 3. Really? No thanks. Theres my 2 cents. AVOID THIS GAME! Expand
  2. Jun 25, 2011
    this game is a bummer compared to the earlier sim cities. i had some fun playing this game and got bored with my second city. i dont like anything particularly about this game but i dont really hate anything either so it is just sot of boring. i wish the could have gone back to their basics.
  3. Aug 28, 2011
    Sucks beyond imagination. You'd expect a great thing when SimCity and The Sims and combined, but instead, you get a total mis-match. Terrible game-play and overall a forgettable experience.
  4. May 20, 2014
    by far the worst entry in the series. It is over simplified. I don't understand what EA was trying to appeal to. Societies throws away the classic simcity mechanics that make it fun. The mechanics suck, the soundtrack is boring and the graphics are lame. Do not buy!
  5. Sep 1, 2013
    Well what can I say it's... okay. I bought this for REALLY cheap and started playing it. It's pretty easy. Well then my computer was having problems and i needed to reload it. After that I forgot about the game and started to do other things on my computer. Though, I lost the code and I cannot re install.
  6. Mar 9, 2013
    Compared to SimCity 4 Deluxe, SimCity Societies is a very lackluster addition to the SimCity series. It offers a lot more options building-wise, but I prefer the way SimCity 4 Deluxe was formatted. I felt that it was somewhat annoying to have to build buildings one-by-one rather than making zones. Overall, it is a very meh game compared to SimCity 4 Deluxe.
  7. Jan 29, 2012
    This is a different spin on the SimCity series. Very fun and addictive all the same. Alittle bit more on the casual side than the others but still very complex and in- depth. In some ways I think this formula is even more fun than the originals. Societies is a great sandbox title worth having in your library. Its too bad EA has the reigns on it. EA is equal only to UbiSoft when itThis is a different spin on the SimCity series. Very fun and addictive all the same. Alittle bit more on the casual side than the others but still very complex and in- depth. In some ways I think this formula is even more fun than the originals. Societies is a great sandbox title worth having in your library. Its too bad EA has the reigns on it. EA is equal only to UbiSoft when it comes to intrusive DRM. You will have to play it through their dam launcher. Expand
  8. Apr 15, 2015
    What a disaster, as if the base version of the game wasn't bad enough, they added this overpriced expansion but fail to address the glaring issue: the city is too small! In the 90's we got used to big cities in sim city, then they take several steps back and produce this junk. What a shame.
  9. Jan 20, 2013
    Inappropriately branded under the Sim City franchise, Societies looks fun and innovative but lacks engaging game play. Even those who have never heard of Sim City before will find themselves tire of this poorly designed game, that poses very little challenge or purpose. The graphics seem promising and the concept seems good, but ultimately there is very little to do here. It feels tooInappropriately branded under the Sim City franchise, Societies looks fun and innovative but lacks engaging game play. Even those who have never heard of Sim City before will find themselves tire of this poorly designed game, that poses very little challenge or purpose. The graphics seem promising and the concept seems good, but ultimately there is very little to do here. It feels too limited for a sandbox game, and lacks any consistent challenge to be a strategy game. Its neither here nor there, and ends up feeling more like a not-so-successful beta of a game.

Sandbox mode can provide a moment of creative amusement, but the replay value is almost dead. Given its stodgy size and questionable performance, its hard to justify keeping this installed.
  10. Jan 30, 2016
    What an absolute joke for a game. I have tried booting this game up on a Windows XP, a Windows 8, and a Windows 10. Using an AMD 7570 and a GTX 970, yet I have never gotten the game to run. It's amazing how this game has actually managed to make it onto the market.
  11. Jops
    Jan 9, 2008
    Where is Maxis!? The life and soul have been ripped out of this game. Only the cosmetics have improved. Instead of being a governor, you're now a town planner with no political decisions to make, like taxes and laws. Its just been simplified for children like Settlers was. Hopefully its a one off.
  12. JasonM.
    Jan 7, 2008
    Aside from the AI pathing issues and the inability to quickly and easily locate "Problem Sims"; the game is great.
  13. JonasHøiberg
    Feb 10, 2008
    I hope this is not the quality we can expect from Maxis in the future, especially not with Spore coming up next. It is very simply a cruel, cruel, cruel way to treat the classic series of SimCity. With the aim of creating a simpler version of SimCity, usable by everyone, they've managed to create a new version of SimTown (A children's game from the 90's), just, and this isI hope this is not the quality we can expect from Maxis in the future, especially not with Spore coming up next. It is very simply a cruel, cruel, cruel way to treat the classic series of SimCity. With the aim of creating a simpler version of SimCity, usable by everyone, they've managed to create a new version of SimTown (A children's game from the 90's), just, and this is the sad part, with the idea it would be suitable for older fans of the series. The game is too simple, and the controls are simply rediculous. Expand
  14. Alex
    Sep 5, 2009
    They should have called this city tycoon, because this is not what I remember in the previous titles of simcity. I hope Maxis gets back in the business and creates a real simcity 5. If you don't look at it as a simcity game, it might be fun for a while. The graphics are nice, and they did spend a while on the special Sim features. Other than that, this isn't worth your time orThey should have called this city tycoon, because this is not what I remember in the previous titles of simcity. I hope Maxis gets back in the business and creates a real simcity 5. If you don't look at it as a simcity game, it might be fun for a while. The graphics are nice, and they did spend a while on the special Sim features. Other than that, this isn't worth your time or money. However, If you must get it, get the simcity box. At least you can enjoy SC4 with it. Expand
  15. KellyN.
    Nov 15, 2007
    I never played the original Sim City, but I really like this one.
  16. Robert
    Nov 15, 2007
    An abuse of the Sim City name, game is horrible, un-optimized, and looks like it was made with graphics from 2003.
  17. Technicha
    Nov 19, 2007
    The name is a bit weird, it feels more like Sim Town 2 rather than Sim City Societies. The game is just boring and slow. The creativity meter just doesn't make any sense at all. Game just seems to be aimed toward kiddies. I prefer the good old classic Sim City style.
  18. TimbobH.
    Nov 20, 2007
    EA dumbs down and destroys yet another strategy franchise. This should not be associated with the SIMCITY series IMO.
  19. GlennC.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Take everything you know and love about the SimCity series and throw it out the window. Will Wright and Maxis weren't even involved in this game. You don't actually build anything per se. I was disappointed and now continue to play SimCity 4.
  20. ChrisB.
    Nov 28, 2007
    Will Wright said that Simcity was getting too complicated, and he was right. Societies is a fine Simcity game, relying far less on micromanagement and statistics-reading than previous incarnations. This is the core of the issue: if spending a lot of time staring at graphs and charts was the most important things to you playing earlier Simcity games, Societies isn't for you. Societies Will Wright said that Simcity was getting too complicated, and he was right. Societies is a fine Simcity game, relying far less on micromanagement and statistics-reading than previous incarnations. This is the core of the issue: if spending a lot of time staring at graphs and charts was the most important things to you playing earlier Simcity games, Societies isn't for you. Societies is a city builder for those who aren't number-oriented, mechanically-focused beancounters. Many reviewers, here and elsewhere, can't shake themselves from that. It is their loss, for even the father of the City Building Game, Will Wright, doesn't find their kind of game interesting anymore. Expand
  21. PatD.
    Nov 20, 2007
    A wonderful addition to the city building genre. This is NOT SimCity 4 in 3D, so put those preconceptions aside before playing. It's a more ethereal, civic-centric game that specializes in subtle clues and changes that are depicted with some of the most dazzling graphics ever put forth in a builder. Don't head into it thinking that making simoleans is the object of the game, A wonderful addition to the city building genre. This is NOT SimCity 4 in 3D, so put those preconceptions aside before playing. It's a more ethereal, civic-centric game that specializes in subtle clues and changes that are depicted with some of the most dazzling graphics ever put forth in a builder. Don't head into it thinking that making simoleans is the object of the game, because that couldn't be further from the truth! Expand
  22. JoshB.
    Nov 16, 2007
    Even though this game and previous SimCities are as different as night and day, this is still a really great game. So much effort was put into the subtle details, such as the ability to summon zombies. The graphics are superb! All in all this is a criminally underrated gem of a game. It may not have much challenge, but if your creative and dont need goals, you should give SimCity Societies a go!
    Nov 16, 2007
    How this game managed to get 72 on user score and 66 on metascore? It's among the worst "Sim" games out there. It's basically a sandbox style game, where you build a city by hand-picking everything, buildings, etc. There are no concepts such as land value or infrastructure, maintenance cost, or anything. So it all boils down to building a city just to watch it, since the game at How this game managed to get 72 on user score and 66 on metascore? It's among the worst "Sim" games out there. It's basically a sandbox style game, where you build a city by hand-picking everything, buildings, etc. There are no concepts such as land value or infrastructure, maintenance cost, or anything. So it all boils down to building a city just to watch it, since the game at least has somewhat pretty graphics. Expand
  24. JeffB.
    Nov 17, 2007
    Aimless and baffling, with none of the structure or logic of the Simcity games. Very disappointing.
  25. AustinM
    Nov 21, 2007
    This is Not simcity. The most closely resembles the cheesey "me-too" 'tycoon' spinoffs after rollercoaster tycoon hit paydirt. The cartoon graphics, slow as mud performance of the 3d engine, and finally, the inability to ZOOM OUT farther than 10feet, makes this game lackluster at best, and impossible to manage a city with more than 1500 people due to the graphics and removal of This is Not simcity. The most closely resembles the cheesey "me-too" 'tycoon' spinoffs after rollercoaster tycoon hit paydirt. The cartoon graphics, slow as mud performance of the 3d engine, and finally, the inability to ZOOM OUT farther than 10feet, makes this game lackluster at best, and impossible to manage a city with more than 1500 people due to the graphics and removal of appriate levels of zoom out. There should be no finite level of zoom-out. Expand
  26. DaveM.
    Nov 21, 2007
    My son loved SimCity 4 and was really looking forward to this game, but when he tried it he was so disappointed he cried. I have to agree that this is a huge step back from the earlier SimCity titles, with a lot of bugs thrown in.
  27. Pepx
    Nov 21, 2007
    Sadly, a poorly made SC franchise games, for all those who are unfamiliar with the franchise... i strongly recomend to get Simcity 4 or at least check it on youtube, and will know why, the long time fans (me since 1992) are so deeply dissapointed about this game. i don't blame Tilted Mills, after all they made a cool Ceasar IV, but EA to skip Maxis from the proyect, despite the huge Sadly, a poorly made SC franchise games, for all those who are unfamiliar with the franchise... i strongly recomend to get Simcity 4 or at least check it on youtube, and will know why, the long time fans (me since 1992) are so deeply dissapointed about this game. i don't blame Tilted Mills, after all they made a cool Ceasar IV, but EA to skip Maxis from the proyect, despite the huge list of fans willing to pay for a well executed game. Compared to the peak and king of the series Simcity 4, SCS is a kids game, i got bored IN JUST MINUTES OF GAME PLAY¡¡¡¡, the game looks kinda boxy and lame, and even compared with City Life (the closest similar game due the plopping detail, and the cultures/societies stuff) SCS looks poorly Executed, boring, with limited options and sluggish. to finish the comment, im glad that montecristo is taking the lead to produce a high quality city building and im looking foward to Cities Unlimited. most of all SC series fans are hoping for. Expand
  28. BobbyH.
    Nov 27, 2007
    First, it's important to note that this is not, nor was ever intended to be, SimCity 5. This more like the TV show "Joey" compared to "Friends", with Friends being SimCity 4. It's more of a spin-off than a sequel, and the SimCity name is more for branding, which is sad because it really tarnishes the name. The game itself is not too great; it's dumbed down and made for the First, it's important to note that this is not, nor was ever intended to be, SimCity 5. This more like the TV show "Joey" compared to "Friends", with Friends being SimCity 4. It's more of a spin-off than a sequel, and the SimCity name is more for branding, which is sad because it really tarnishes the name. The game itself is not too great; it's dumbed down and made for the The Sims crowd. An okay idea, but poorly implemented. If you've never played SimCity before (any of them, original-4), then you can maybe pick this up and enjoy it, if you're not looking for realism or more complex city building. SimCity 5 will essentially be Monte Cristo's "Cities Unlimited", so if you get SCS and you're disappointed, look forward to CU. Expand
  29. BillJ.
    Dec 3, 2007
    I come to SimCity Societies not expecting another SimCity game but a good game; sadly, neither objective was fully realized. The mechanics of societal value and being able to "unlock" new and more powerful iterations could be amusing. having a city reflect certain cultural mileus also has a certain charm. But the game's downsides are many: For the few challenges teh game presents, I come to SimCity Societies not expecting another SimCity game but a good game; sadly, neither objective was fully realized. The mechanics of societal value and being able to "unlock" new and more powerful iterations could be amusing. having a city reflect certain cultural mileus also has a certain charm. But the game's downsides are many: For the few challenges teh game presents, the interface is maddeningly stupid about its choices. Youc an select a sim and scroll through their family members to see where they are in the city, which is amusing but realtively useless; however, if you want to find all of your unhappy SIMs, you can only click on a single unhappiness level and try to do a fly-through your city to hope to spot them when they are not indoors. Of course, some SIMs get stuck in their buildings for inexplicable reasons, even when the building menu suggests they have clearance to leave (avoid seaside home views, no matter how piquant it may seem to your sensibilities.) The same goes for trying to find your sick, injured, or other concerns -- teh game reports these statistics as if they are vital to your management, but if a part of your city is failing to perform, you will often be hard pressed ot figure out where the trouble is arising from. The game has numerous bugs and can crash or fail to even launch, in part due to sloppy programming and in part due to a cranky and overzealous Digital rights management scheme. Buried within SimCity Societies is a charming sandbox game -- but even the normal game has a feel of teh sandbox without "unlimited Simoleons" and other play offers -- and a lack of scripted, campaign, or challenges meant I was able to unlock almost every building and objective in my first playthrough in the tutorial. Patched and better implemented this might be a charming if short-term diversion. As it stands, SimCities does not deserve to command a premium pricing. Let us hope furtehr patching and user modifications will extend its lifespan. Expand
  30. Brian
    Jan 17, 2008
    As a big fan of the Sim City series of games, I was very disappointed in Societies. I hope this is just a one off and they return to the original.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    The newest Sim City differs quite a lot from its predecessors. It concentrates more on the social atmosphere than being a realistic city simulator. Social energies is a fresh idea which works nicely although they’ve simplified the administrative side of the game maybe a little too much. SC: Societies is a nice way to waste time, but you’ll get bored with it at some point because the game starts to repeat itself. [Nov 2007]
  2. Societies doesn't stumble just because "it isn't SimCity". Fresh takes on old concepts should always be welcome. It stumbles because it's a generally unsatisfying patchwork of a game, dragged down by inconsistent gameplay, outdated design and weirdly implemented ideas.
    Despite its few slipups, the core of Societies is strong enough -- and the gameplay addictive enough -- that even the stodgiest traditionalist will find something to shout about.