SimCity Societies PC

4.2

1. KellyN.
    Nov 15, 2007
    I never played the original Sim City, but I really like this one.
  2. PatD.
    Nov 20, 2007
    A wonderful addition to the city building genre. This is NOT SimCity 4 in 3D, so put those preconceptions aside before playing. It's a more ethereal, civic-centric game that specializes in subtle clues and changes that are depicted with some of the most dazzling graphics ever put forth in a builder. Don't head into it thinking that making simoleans is the object of the game, A wonderful addition to the city building genre. This is NOT SimCity 4 in 3D, so put those preconceptions aside before playing. It's a more ethereal, civic-centric game that specializes in subtle clues and changes that are depicted with some of the most dazzling graphics ever put forth in a builder. Don't head into it thinking that making simoleans is the object of the game, because that couldn't be further from the truth! Collapse
  3. sandwiches
    Nov 15, 2007
    Very unique idea. I am definitely glad the Sim City franchise went a different direction instead of just getting more and more of the tired, almost 20-year-old idea.
  4. Feb 10, 2014
    I absolutely love this game. I got it at a heavily discounted price when I bought a new computer (less than $10) and it has been a pleasant surprise of a game that has provided me with hours of enjoyment. I have never played any of the SimCity games before and Societies was the perfect introduction to this kind of game. Sure, it may be a little easy with no real set goals, but that for meI absolutely love this game. I got it at a heavily discounted price when I bought a new computer (less than $10) and it has been a pleasant surprise of a game that has provided me with hours of enjoyment. I have never played any of the SimCity games before and Societies was the perfect introduction to this kind of game. Sure, it may be a little easy with no real set goals, but that for me doesn’t detract from the game. The Sims, for instance, is also low difficulty and has no real end to work towards, but is surprisingly fun.

I must praise Tilted Mill for their handling of social engineering into the city-building scheme. I loved watching the spiritual city come up with its pastiche of American frontier and Asian-inspired buildings. I liked how the music and building details changed to match the predominant social values of the city. After playing for several hours, the music became pleasantly ingrained in my mind. I particularly enjoyed building the authoritative city as well, which gave an Orwellian, warlike feel to the otherwise peaceful setting of the game. I found myself mixing-and-matching the societal values to create a multitude of cities for days.

I think this game is underappreciated and doesn’t deserve the flack it has received from other reviewers. Sure, it is very different from the original SimCity, but that can be a good thing. The only other game from Maxis/EA I have played before was The Sims. For me, SimCity Societies is a game that is midway between The Sims and SimCity. It seems to have been created with another player in mind, someone who is less-concerned about strict rules and complexity, but intrigued with creativity and being able to go in different directions.

I liked this game so much that I went on to buy the Destinations expansion and eventually; Spore, SimCity (2013), and the Cities of Tomorrow expansion. I have enjoyed playing all of these games in their own right. If Societies was created to broaden the appeal of the genre to other players, it has certainly done so. For me, it has unintendedly been a “gateway drug” into the other Sim-type games. I never thought that I would come to love simulation games so much, and Societies was an important and fun stepping stone in that direction. Thank you Tilted Mill!
  5. JoshB.
    Nov 16, 2007
    Even though this game and previous SimCities are as different as night and day, this is still a really great game. So much effort was put into the subtle details, such as the ability to summon zombies. The graphics are superb! All in all this is a criminally underrated gem of a game. It may not have much challenge, but if your creative and dont need goals, you should give SimCity Societies a go!
  6. KarenL.
    Nov 14, 2007
    I've been building so many different types of cultures. I can see myself playing this for a very long time!
  7. JasonM.
    Jan 7, 2008
    Aside from the AI pathing issues and the inability to quickly and easily locate "Problem Sims"; the game is great.
  8. ChrisB.
    Nov 28, 2007
    Will Wright said that Simcity was getting too complicated, and he was right. Societies is a fine Simcity game, relying far less on micromanagement and statistics-reading than previous incarnations. This is the core of the issue: if spending a lot of time staring at graphs and charts was the most important things to you playing earlier Simcity games, Societies isn't for you. Societies Will Wright said that Simcity was getting too complicated, and he was right. Societies is a fine Simcity game, relying far less on micromanagement and statistics-reading than previous incarnations. This is the core of the issue: if spending a lot of time staring at graphs and charts was the most important things to you playing earlier Simcity games, Societies isn't for you. Societies is a city builder for those who aren't number-oriented, mechanically-focused beancounters. Many reviewers, here and elsewhere, can't shake themselves from that. It is their loss, for even the father of the City Building Game, Will Wright, doesn't find their kind of game interesting anymore. Expand
  9. WesM.
    Nov 21, 2007
    Hey this is actually a good game. I understand that it's not Simcity 5 but this is an interesting change from the other SIimcities. I really like creating a 1984ish city as well. I really think that people shouldn't judge this game too quickly.
  10. Jan 29, 2012
    This is a different spin on the SimCity series. Very fun and addictive all the same. Alittle bit more on the casual side than the others but still very complex and in- depth. In some ways I think this formula is even more fun than the originals. Societies is a great sandbox title worth having in your library. Its too bad EA has the reigns on it. EA is equal only to UbiSoft when itThis is a different spin on the SimCity series. Very fun and addictive all the same. Alittle bit more on the casual side than the others but still very complex and in- depth. In some ways I think this formula is even more fun than the originals. Societies is a great sandbox title worth having in your library. Its too bad EA has the reigns on it. EA is equal only to UbiSoft when it comes to intrusive DRM. You will have to play it through their dam launcher. Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    The newest Sim City differs quite a lot from its predecessors. It concentrates more on the social atmosphere than being a realistic city simulator. Social energies is a fresh idea which works nicely although they’ve simplified the administrative side of the game maybe a little too much. SC: Societies is a nice way to waste time, but you’ll get bored with it at some point because the game starts to repeat itself. [Nov 2007]
  2. Societies doesn't stumble just because "it isn't SimCity". Fresh takes on old concepts should always be welcome. It stumbles because it's a generally unsatisfying patchwork of a game, dragged down by inconsistent gameplay, outdated design and weirdly implemented ideas.
    Despite its few slipups, the core of Societies is strong enough -- and the gameplay addictive enough -- that even the stodgiest traditionalist will find something to shout about.