2.2

1. Mar 7, 2013
    This game doesn't work. I don't know how to gie a higher score to something that literally won't play. So far I have just spent $60 and a chunk of free time for aggravation and buyer's remorse. I gave a 1 instead of a 0 only because I suspect the game is good if it actually runs and I feel bad for the folks that spent so long making it to have it crippled and hated like this as part ofThis game doesn't work. I don't know how to gie a higher score to something that literally won't play. So far I have just spent $60 and a chunk of free time for aggravation and buyer's remorse. I gave a 1 instead of a 0 only because I suspect the game is good if it actually runs and I feel bad for the folks that spent so long making it to have it crippled and hated like this as part of a poor business decision. Expand
  2. Mar 7, 2013
    I want to say first off, yes I have purchased the game, and yes I have put 20+ hours into this game already. To start off with the good, the visuals are BEAUTIFUL on this game, I love being able to upgrade individual buildings to increase usefulness, I like the specialization options, etc. Now onto why I'm giving one of my favorite game series newest release a 3. I bought the game onI want to say first off, yes I have purchased the game, and yes I have put 20+ hours into this game already. To start off with the good, the visuals are BEAUTIFUL on this game, I love being able to upgrade individual buildings to increase usefulness, I like the specialization options, etc. Now onto why I'm giving one of my favorite game series newest release a 3. I bought the game on launch day at 8 a.m., and since then I have only had the ability to play the game 1/3 or less of the time due to server problems, not connecting, just overall DRM I am a longtime wow player so DRM in and of itself doesn't bother me, but this is an absolute cluster I can't play my own damn game I paid for! Also, c'mon Maxis, these cities are way too damn small. Open up a whole region to building a city in and then we're talking. I'm massively disappointed by the stupid restrictions that have been placed on this game. FIX IT!! Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    Appalling treatment of customers by EA. Bought the full version for $100 here in Australia yesterday and have not been able to play for more than an hour due to oversubscribed server/s. Brief glimpse of the game showed some promise in terms of user interface and graphical improvements over SC4 but left me dissappointed with the small city area. It would seem there might be a half decentAppalling treatment of customers by EA. Bought the full version for $100 here in Australia yesterday and have not been able to play for more than an hour due to oversubscribed server/s. Brief glimpse of the game showed some promise in terms of user interface and graphical improvements over SC4 but left me dissappointed with the small city area. It would seem there might be a half decent game in there but the restrictions put in place by EA to drag gamers kicking and screaming into a disfunctional online single player model have seriously marred this release, which will hopefully cement EA's mainstream reputation as a greedy and unscrupulous software company. Expand
  4. CFZ
    Mar 7, 2013
    This game is very limited in scope and ability. Instead of focusing on what made SimCity great, they decided to focus on multiplayer only. Which gave them the "excuse" to implement online-only DRM. Small land sizes which turns what SHOULD be cities into towns, no terrain editing, no local saving, limited abilities services for your city (town), and no offline mode. The problems go on andThis game is very limited in scope and ability. Instead of focusing on what made SimCity great, they decided to focus on multiplayer only. Which gave them the "excuse" to implement online-only DRM. Small land sizes which turns what SHOULD be cities into towns, no terrain editing, no local saving, limited abilities services for your city (town), and no offline mode. The problems go on and on; filled with bugs and broken online systems. Please, do NOT buy this poor excuse of a game. This is NOT SimCity. Expand
  5. Mar 7, 2013
    I will never again support Origin, EA or always online DRM. I am sick of this game after only two days. There are so many problems with the game. From graphical glitches to network glitches, it is a mess. Besides, other than graphics(which aren't all that great) and online features(which aren't all that great) it isn't much different from any other simcity game.
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    This was released in Australia a few days ago and I haven't been able to play for more than about 90 minutes despite origin telling me I've played for over 5 hours!!!! WTH... I waiting in que isn't really what I'm after here. I can't believe I paid $99 for this game off origin. Really really disappointed. I like the idea of multiplayer, I can see how it might add a bit to theThis was released in Australia a few days ago and I haven't been able to play for more than about 90 minutes despite origin telling me I've played for over 5 hours!!!! WTH... I waiting in que isn't really what I'm after here. I can't believe I paid $99 for this game off origin. Really really disappointed. I like the idea of multiplayer, I can see how it might add a bit to the experience. MASSIVE BUT THOUGH, I just want to build a city by myself, and single player is definitely where people will spend the bulk of their time as the game develops.... So why must we have to accept this online DRM. Further compounded by the fact that we will be at the whim of EA servers which is just a horrible thing to look forward to. Really disappointed so far. I would get a refund if I could, cause this really isn't worth the grief. WHY HYPE THE HELL OUT OF SOMETHING IF YOU CANT LET PEOPLE PLAY THEIR SINGLE PLAYER GAME THEY PLAYED FOR................... Expand
  7. Mar 7, 2013
    I managed to play SimCity for a couple hours and it was ok at best and then I got disconnected. The regions are too small and I didn't have enough time to see what the resource specialization would do after running out or what the water table does when you run out. Does it ever come back I can't tell because the game stopped working. Now that the servers are limping along load times areI managed to play SimCity for a couple hours and it was ok at best and then I got disconnected. The regions are too small and I didn't have enough time to see what the resource specialization would do after running out or what the water table does when you run out. Does it ever come back I can't tell because the game stopped working. Now that the servers are limping along load times are now expected to be in the minutes scale and if you play solo you need to switch between cities more frequently which means you will be spending a lot of time in front of a loading screen. In addition for the foreseeable future "non-essential features" such as the leaderboards, social aspects, are non-functional. One of the worst gameplay changes they have made is the removal of the accelerated time mode which is critical to playing the game enjoyably unless you want to wait for a very long time for anything to happen. I have also lost game progress when the client randomly disconnects as there is not even a button to save to the cloud or a good way to warning you that you've lost your DRM connection and have two minutes before you get booted out.

In addition trading when the servers were working took forever to complete and takes the resources away the moment you gift them and if you switch to the other city it can take tens of minutes to complete. All the while you can be waiting.

The glassbox simulation system seems a bit strange in that technically it is all just flowery GUI for what is quite simple. For example electricity and water are treated as parcels when in reality that is not possible and more so for electricity. When you lose power and build back capacity it can take a long time for the city to react and similarly for water. The map size is also quite constrictive and the lack of terrain editing functionality is a fairly glaring omission. You can not also create your own regions as in previous games and automatic road connections can get quite fiddly at times. If your roads are even a degree off and running near the edge of the map it can present difficulties creating a smooth section of road.

A lot of the focus of the new SimCity 5 seems to be centered around the roads and basically everything must be attached to a road or it will not function or even be placeable. (You can't even place parks without snapping it to a road) The automatic grid guides are also not very smart and don't tell you anything about how far apart is too much and the zone tiles give no indication of how much space will be needed for the larger high density buildings. Generated curved road is an absolute nightmare and the snaps go all over the place.

In short, game design is a step backwards, game doesn't work properly, features have been removed that are critical to the game. And in a few years the game may just cease to exist if they turn off the servers.
  8. Mar 7, 2013
    What good is a game that you purchase when you cant even play it due to the requirement of online only and servers that dont work when you want to play the game. What ever happen to the days when you buy a game and can play it when you want, how you want with out restriction and being told you can not play what you payed for due to our servers not working or required servicing.
  9. Mar 8, 2013
    The game, if you can actually get past the server issues to access it, actually seems fairly fun and engaging. The problem is you're extremely unlikely to actually be able to access it, and even if you do, odds are that you'll be disconnected soon enough and lose everything you've done up to that point. That mutiplayer is being shoehorned into a singleplayer game is bad enough, that aThe game, if you can actually get past the server issues to access it, actually seems fairly fun and engaging. The problem is you're extremely unlikely to actually be able to access it, and even if you do, odds are that you'll be disconnected soon enough and lose everything you've done up to that point. That mutiplayer is being shoehorned into a singleplayer game is bad enough, that a game in a traditionally singleplayer series can only be played while online is terrible, but the fact it has been implemented so awfully is unforgivable.
    Note the server issues are bad enough that at least one critic review has been changed (Polygon's: from 9.5 to 4) but due to metacritics policy this isn't reflected in the game's metascore.
  10. Mar 8, 2013
    Dear heavens, I really dislike this game, which was particularly hard for me to do, considering how much I like the previous ones. I don't wish to turn into one of those "IT'S NOT AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL!" screaming fanboys, but here I have no choice. While I will concede that many of the game's aspects have been streamlined and made more accessible, but they have made it too easy. At noDear heavens, I really dislike this game, which was particularly hard for me to do, considering how much I like the previous ones. I don't wish to turn into one of those "IT'S NOT AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL!" screaming fanboys, but here I have no choice. While I will concede that many of the game's aspects have been streamlined and made more accessible, but they have made it too easy. At no point did I feel like an actual mayor, having to make difficult decisions about whether to fund the police or the hospital, whether to pay for a school or a motor-way, but instead I felt like a child playing in a really advanced sandbox.
    And, of course, the "Always online DRM" is absolutely pathetic and an utterly stupid idea.
    My recommendation, don't bother with this game, buy something else.
  11. Mar 8, 2013
    The game is nice, but:
    -Why I can't play offline on my private regions?
    -Why cities are so small? -Why I can't edit the region by creating new ways of communication? Lack. -Why I can't dig holes or raise the ground to create such a subterranean avenue running through my city, as I often do with the 4? -Why is not there God-Mode??? SERIOUS LACK! -Why I can't save locally at any
    The game is nice, but:
    -Why I can't play offline on my private regions?
    -Why cities are so small?
    -Why I can't edit the region by creating new ways of communication? Lack.
    -Why is not there God-Mode??? SERIOUS LACK!
    -Why I can't save locally at any moment, under penalty of having to redo things when the server throws me out (often)?
    -Why there's not a list of games I have started on different servers?
    -WHY I CAN NOT PLAY IF NO SERVER HAS AUTHENTICATED ME???????
    I hope that Maxis get out soon the updates for fix this problems or lacks.
  12. Mar 8, 2013
    I bought this game yesterday, and I still haven't been able to play it. This is not good EA, not good at all. This will be the last PC game I buy from you.
  13. Mar 8, 2013
    This is last game the EA i'll buy in my life, respect 0 with your customers..
    sincerely, i'm disappointed with EA and this game.

sorry for english.
  14. Mar 8, 2013
    Servers suck, drm bugs, small maps that are more like a town then a "city" They should just call it Sim Town..Its better to wait until they fix this then wait to enter a server to play
  15. Mar 8, 2013
    This game has the potential as seen in the marketing betas to be immensely entertaining. But as as of now it isn't and no one knows when the problem will be fixed.
    Even if you can login to the unstable servers you're faced with a myriad of problems that seem to go deeper than simple server problems. Your towns won't get saved occasionally, resulting in the loss of your previous gameplay. The underlying mechanics do not work or have been disabled to lessen the burden on the servers, resulting in non working region play. This means the game cannot be played the way it's meant to be and you will soon face a brick wall if you want to advance further.
    For the developers this is the least of their concern right now as they have stated, as they just try to bring as many people onto the servers as possible.
    Overall the game at this point is a major disappointing because of a forced always online integration that doesn't feel necessary and isn't working the slightest.
  16. Mar 8, 2013
    Update: I was finally able to play for a couple of hours. I'm now really disappointed. Sim-Town is lame as hell. Retardedly small postage-sized "cities"? What a joke; more like towns or a nice summer hamlet. Can't even switch between these unimpressive stamp-sized villages without end-tasking the whole friggin game! No regional transportation? Transportation AI? AI in general?Update: I was finally able to play for a couple of hours. I'm now really disappointed. Sim-Town is lame as hell. Retardedly small postage-sized "cities"? What a joke; more like towns or a nice summer hamlet. Can't even switch between these unimpressive stamp-sized villages without end-tasking the whole friggin game! No regional transportation? Transportation AI? AI in general? WTH? This is getting returned tomorrow morning. Thank God I didn't buy this online. If BB won't take it back, I'm contesting the charges on my CC. If EA wants to ban my Origin account then screw em, let em. I'm thinking I'm about done with EA anyhow. Expand
  17. Mar 8, 2013
    SimCity is unfortunately plagued with problems both to it's infrastructure and gameplay. The always online DRM and abysmal server support have resulted in a net of 2 hours played this week for myself. Even then, my city was entirely lost due to a game freeze and a lack of architecture in when the game saves your progress. Regarding gameplay, the city size limitation is quite small, notSimCity is unfortunately plagued with problems both to it's infrastructure and gameplay. The always online DRM and abysmal server support have resulted in a net of 2 hours played this week for myself. Even then, my city was entirely lost due to a game freeze and a lack of architecture in when the game saves your progress. Regarding gameplay, the city size limitation is quite small, not allowing for a sprawling metropolis that covers the face of all digital creation. If you're interested in city building and management that's a bit more free form, go back to Sim City 4. Expand
  18. Mar 8, 2013
    Paid for the game, but the very stupid system didn`t let me get english version because I live in Azerbaijan. What a joke. At least they gave me a refund.
  19. Mar 8, 2013
    You'll pay $60 or $80, the game will only function for about five minutes of every hour, and EA will refuse to refund your money. Do not buy. If functionality is this bad at launch, when EA is putting all their resources into supporting their draconian DRM, imagine how bad it will be in a year or two when EA no longer thinks it's a priority.
  20. Mar 8, 2013
    map way too small, no farming, some sims complaning about shopping but other sims are happy with shopping. I think maxis just programmed sims to whine about it so we can keep building stuff and never end with the game itself. can't even play the game.
  21. Mar 8, 2013
    I love SimCity series buying the game, I really thought long waiting behind but the trouble! Paying money for this game, all the time since its launch on the market, I have not played it it's why I put one ball.I no desire now even include it in the near vremya.EA undermined my confidence specifically! Agee first Dragon 2 then Medal of Honor 2012 Now SimCity
  22. Mar 8, 2013
    Well this is frustrating, isn't it? That's the best description, I think, Frustration. Not because I'm suprised, or not because I cant get onto an online game on the launch day (or even week), thats to be expected these days. No, I'm frustrated that the game "needs" to be online in the first place. The online "requirement" adds nothing to the game that Option Multiplay wouldn't have done aWell this is frustrating, isn't it? That's the best description, I think, Frustration. Not because I'm suprised, or not because I cant get onto an online game on the launch day (or even week), thats to be expected these days. No, I'm frustrated that the game "needs" to be online in the first place. The online "requirement" adds nothing to the game that Option Multiplay wouldn't have done a million time better. It's something no body wanted stopping us playing a game we want to play. And now EA are trying removing Leaderboards and Achieviments and other online featurs that were sold to players as the reason we should love to be online. So now we're online (if your lucky enough to be online) for the sole reason of being online. If EA want me to be always online to play a game I paid £60 for, then they should be always online when I want to play it. http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/Bobbydyland/Simcity_zps7799c437.png Expand
  23. Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks for gimping a fully purchased game. I think the game itself has potential and I would like to play it but always online DRM is unacceptable for a SINGLE player game.
  24. Mar 8, 2013
    It has finally happened. All practices that have been destroying gaming have culminated in this biblical failure for all the world to see. Ever since the success of Farmville the gaming industry has been trying to cash in on "social gaming" foisting it upon gamers that have zero interest in it. This usually manifests itself as a unused feature or minor inconvenience. It was not until EAIt has finally happened. All practices that have been destroying gaming have culminated in this biblical failure for all the world to see. Ever since the success of Farmville the gaming industry has been trying to cash in on "social gaming" foisting it upon gamers that have zero interest in it. This usually manifests itself as a unused feature or minor inconvenience. It was not until EA combined it with the abomination that is DRM to form the perfect storm of consumer neglect; once a single player classic, now a mandatory social game played on servers that are virtually unusable. EA has once again completely shafted all their paying customers to avoid losing a few bucks to pirates. In the same greedy line of thinking they also criminally under-supplied servers, not wanting to pay for more than would be needed after the post launch population dropoff. The result is a game that is virtually unplayable. Not "this game is so bad that I don't want to play it" unplayable, actually unplayable; the game can not be played at all. If by some miracle you do get into a game, you will not be able to get back into the same game again, because all the save data is on the broken servers. If you've bought this game and cannot get a refund, contact the Better Business Bureau at http://www.bbb.org/ and file a complaint. It is illegal to offer goods and services that are nonfunctional. This is inexcusable. Literally, they cannot be allowed to make excuses for this. They made the conscious decision to make a game that was one server crash away from bricked, it was their responsibility to make sure that did not happen and obviously it did. I hope they feel most severe repercussions possible to assure that no publisher ever attempts this again. Expand
  25. Mar 8, 2013
    Despite the client and the SimCity facebook page all claiming that the servers are online, whenever you load up the game (and get through the 20 minute queue) it won't let you do anything because the servers are down. Somebody at EA decided that demanding online play had to be in the game, and thanks to them they have turned a fantastic looking game into a frustrating, unpleasantDespite the client and the SimCity facebook page all claiming that the servers are online, whenever you load up the game (and get through the 20 minute queue) it won't let you do anything because the servers are down. Somebody at EA decided that demanding online play had to be in the game, and thanks to them they have turned a fantastic looking game into a frustrating, unpleasant experience. I absolutely regret pre-ordering this game. Expand
  26. Mar 8, 2013
    I'd love to actually play this game. Sadly... server says no. Pity. Will try again later, and may revise this opinion. In the meantime, the game deserves no better.
  27. Mar 8, 2013
    Worst crash since the Challenger!!!! EA I would like my $78.00 back!!!!!! First time ever reviewing a game signed up just so I could post here. EA should refund everyone!!!!!!!
  28. Mar 8, 2013
    What a waste of time. Totally annoyed with this game so far. Why turn gold into fools' gold by making it online only with horrible servers. Hope they fix this.
  29. Mar 8, 2013
    I should have cancelled my preorder when I saw these negative reviews, because they were right. Simcity is a complete and utter train-wreck. I used to pirate most games when I did not have the money, but have lately made it a point to buy all my games. But now I think most of us would rather pay MORE for a pirated version. Anyway, there are a lot of other great releases coming soon noI should have cancelled my preorder when I saw these negative reviews, because they were right. Simcity is a complete and utter train-wreck. I used to pirate most games when I did not have the money, but have lately made it a point to buy all my games. But now I think most of us would rather pay MORE for a pirated version. Anyway, there are a lot of other great releases coming soon no need to waste time on a technical headache like this! Expand
  30. Mar 8, 2013
    Putting server issues aside game is very disappointing. Animations may look better than previous versions but that is it. No single player, individual cities in region too small, no terraforming, saved games do not transfer across servers so continual restarts if not able to connect to same one... list could go on and on. Like a lot of thinks now appearance over substance! They can notPutting server issues aside game is very disappointing. Animations may look better than previous versions but that is it. No single player, individual cities in region too small, no terraforming, saved games do not transfer across servers so continual restarts if not able to connect to same one... list could go on and on. Like a lot of thinks now appearance over substance! They can not even man up and the honorable thing of giving digital refunds, be warned if thinking of buying. Expand
  31. Mar 8, 2013
    Unable to connect. Why did I pay $59 again? I really hope EA gets their act together with this horrid experience. I am hoping for a some kind of action to alleviate any lost time trying to play a game. Maybe some free dlc? Either way, f* this game.
  32. Mar 8, 2013
    I haven't even gotten to play the game yet. It's a $60.00 clock that repeatedly counts down from 20 minutes...because you're not really waiting to get in, you're waiting to be denied again. Definitely ensures I will never purchase an EA product again, and likely has stopped me from ever preordering a video game again. After three days and dozens of attempts, I still haven't gotten to play.
  33. Mar 8, 2013
    This review is based on the current state of the game (minus connection issues). This game has online only DRM which was justified by making a single player game multiplayer by having regions share resources. However, this feature currently doesn't work and EA has admitted as much. You cannot share workers, resources, or money. City Hall upgrades do not sync with the region and carry overThis review is based on the current state of the game (minus connection issues). This game has online only DRM which was justified by making a single player game multiplayer by having regions share resources. However, this feature currently doesn't work and EA has admitted as much. You cannot share workers, resources, or money. City Hall upgrades do not sync with the region and carry over into other towns. As usual for an EA game it is infested with all kinds of other bugs. IE water is supposed to refill when it rains: Not working. Emergency vehicles will sit in long traffic lines even when there's an open road near by. You will also see fire fighters drive around in circles on the roads rather than go to fires. Fire Marshalls Wellness vans will randomly target buildings rather than prioritize high fire/gem prone areas. Not worth buying for a few months until they 1) Fix connection issues and add servers. 2) Patch all the broken features and revamp traffic AI. Expand
  34. Mar 8, 2013
    This game looks pretty good, but then there's the always online DRM. This means that when a new sim city is released, EA will start killing off the servers for this sim city, and the game will be dead and unable to play. The maps are also smaller than other sim city games, and even the 1980/1990's sim city was better, and had bigger maps. One more thing is that you can't save the game toThis game looks pretty good, but then there's the always online DRM. This means that when a new sim city is released, EA will start killing off the servers for this sim city, and the game will be dead and unable to play. The maps are also smaller than other sim city games, and even the 1980/1990's sim city was better, and had bigger maps. One more thing is that you can't save the game to your hardrive, it goes straight to EA's cloud. This means that you can't load up a save of one of your games. Say you have a city saved, and then it gets destroyed. You are unable to open it up and load the game, it goes straight to the cloud, where it is impossible to get. 3/10, gorgeous, seems pretty good, but then there's the drm and save/load items. Expand
  35. Mar 8, 2013
    Ok, I understand having to have an internet connection to play the game. But if the servers are junk or full and you can't even play the damn game that's just stupid! EA dropped the ball on this one! I don't care who but since I can't even enjoy a single player game. Because the servers are unavailable or down or full. This game is going back and I'll save some money and get Cities XL. IOk, I understand having to have an internet connection to play the game. But if the servers are junk or full and you can't even play the damn game that's just stupid! EA dropped the ball on this one! I don't care who but since I can't even enjoy a single player game. Because the servers are unavailable or down or full. This game is going back and I'll save some money and get Cities XL. I don't care who eats the cash but its not going to be me! Expand
  36. Mar 8, 2013
    The Short: Save yourself the hassle and don't even buy this game. Don't tell yourself that enough time has passed and you will be able to get on the server much easier too, these same problems could crop up at any time and wreak havoc on your ability to play the game. I can't imagine how awful the servers will be after an expansion is launched. The Long: I feel like I'm just adding aThe Short: Save yourself the hassle and don't even buy this game. Don't tell yourself that enough time has passed and you will be able to get on the server much easier too, these same problems could crop up at any time and wreak havoc on your ability to play the game. I can't imagine how awful the servers will be after an expansion is launched. The Long: I feel like I'm just adding a bunch of poo to a pile of poo that already has entirely too much poo in it. I'm one of the unlucky customers that pre-ordered this game. I was eagerly looking forward to it as well as I have been a fan for nearly two decades and the game looked amazing in the beta and their Let's All Be Mayor campaign. Let's face it, this has all been said before and this poor review will boil down to server issues. It's a shame that this launch was handled so poorly. Not just that I couldn't log in to play the game, but that everyone from Maxis was so quiet about what was going on. When you have upset customers, the last thing you want to do as a company is remain silent. After trying this afternoon and evening to get on the servers once again, and still failing despite adding nearly twice as many servers as a couple days ago, I gave up.

The silver lining in this whole thing is that Amazon stepped up to bat for me. They gave me a full refund, and apologized for my experience with this game. That's more than I've heard from people who have ordered this game from Origin. At best they get a customer service rep who is nice enough to refund them, most likely they get one who flat out refuses to refund the money and at worst they (supposedly) threaten a ban of the entire Origin account.

It's a shame that such a big company cannot treat its customers better. Maxis has lost a loyal customer here, and EA has lost any business from a formerly neutral customer, now anti-fanboy.
  37. Mar 9, 2013
    Always on internet connection needed to play a single player game??? EA you STINK!!! You can shove this game where the sun don't shine!
    I already got my money back.

Never again will I buy an EA game.
  38. Mar 9, 2013
    It's a great game, but there is a one little problem with it, it doesn't work. Great job EA, the title of the worst company in the USA is fitting You great.
  39. Mar 9, 2013
    Every single PC game requiring permanent internet connection for single player modus will be boycotted indefinately. Too bad, since I'm a huge Simcity fan since its humble beginnings, but I will not spend a single coin on this game before a patch for this silly DRM is released.
  40. Mar 9, 2013
    This is a disaster. EA why have you screwed the SimCity Franchise. Curse you!! 1. Always online DRM 2. No local saves 3. Buggy mechanics 4. My crap dump size is bigger than your city maps 5. FCKIN Huge login queues what??? did I buy this game to stand in the queue to play?
  41. Mar 9, 2013
    I'm going to put aside issues with the DRM and the cloud saving, the latter of which will probably be fixed in the future. I'm simply going to give my opinion of the game because that is really all the matters. That said, DON'T BUY THIS GAME. Gameplay is fast paced but very small scale. Picture sitting in a sandbox...literally, the sandbox that you sat in as a kid is probably about theI'm going to put aside issues with the DRM and the cloud saving, the latter of which will probably be fixed in the future. I'm simply going to give my opinion of the game because that is really all the matters. That said, DON'T BUY THIS GAME. Gameplay is fast paced but very small scale. Picture sitting in a sandbox...literally, the sandbox that you sat in as a kid is probably about the size of their cities. You want a huge metropolis? Too bad but for an extra £20 you can get the European Cities Set! I have no idea why you have to pay an extra £20 for a few game maps and a dozen or so new buildings but apparently EA have a damn good reason. There are a few interface innovations that take away a lot of the micro-management that plagued the two former games in the series but you will quickly run out of things to do and I personally was bored after a day of the single player. Multiplayer is really where they placed all their eggs and that is good fun if you're playing with the right people, but it's not that much different from one of the social media sim cities that are free. The reliability of the servers is bad for one person, with 3 or more it's impossible to get a really good game going so you are forced to stay small scale. Because of the online DRM you can't set up an LAN connection so I don't see this issue being solved anytime soon. All-in-all it's a steaming pile of that costs £45 (£65 for European Cities) and it's worth about £0.01. I looked at their website which claims they have won 26 PC game awards...I'm absolutely at a loss for where they got that figure, though many were given pre-release. It's just an example of how corrupt and deceptive is this thing called Gaming Journalism. Stay away from this game and away from anyone claiming to be a professional game critic. Expand
  42. Mar 9, 2013
    It's day four now and still the game isn't a game, it remains unplayable. It's a shame, because there seems to be a good game there, maybe even a great game. I might be one of those rare people that didn't really mind that its a always online game. I thought that knowing that there might be some issues with it from time to time. But at it's current state I just fell like a fool for everIt's day four now and still the game isn't a game, it remains unplayable. It's a shame, because there seems to be a good game there, maybe even a great game. I might be one of those rare people that didn't really mind that its a always online game. I thought that knowing that there might be some issues with it from time to time. But at it's current state I just fell like a fool for ever thinking that. I have contacted EA customer support (Via Origin) three times to request a refund or any kind of help with the issues I have been experiencing. Each time I was refused both. Origin refuses to refund a broken product that they sold in good faith, which is a clear violation of U.S Federal law, as well as nearly every other western country. This is the first time I've ever purchased a game through Origin and it will be my last. Since I was refused a refund, I feel like I have been scammed. I will now do something I've never done in my life, which is to boycott the products of a company. I will never buy a EA involved game for the rest of my days, and I would encourage all game lovers to do that same. I would also advise investors of EA to jump ship and sell. A company that has been accumulating this much bad PR is not a safe investment. Expand
  43. Mar 9, 2013
    Alert! This is not another whining review about the always on DRM. I can live with that. When I first heard about the glassbox engine. I was amazed. The last Sim City's the engine was just part of the game. DId not require a seperate name. This time tough we had Sim City running on Glassbox. Seeing the engine getting named seperatly I really had high hopes. In my inmagination I would thinkAlert! This is not another whining review about the always on DRM. I can live with that. When I first heard about the glassbox engine. I was amazed. The last Sim City's the engine was just part of the game. DId not require a seperate name. This time tough we had Sim City running on Glassbox. Seeing the engine getting named seperatly I really had high hopes. In my inmagination I would think this engine would create a whole new dimension of details not ever seen before in Sim City. Could we now follow each civillian individually? Could we see them get in their car, go shop or go to work and get home again? Could we see what their doing at home? I mean in the end of the day this is a humans behaviour simulator right? Unfortunatly none of this is actually the case. To make things worse this actually feels like a limited Sim City... Allot of things have been removed, but not much has been given in return.. Yes its true you can actually click a civilian and see its name and follow it down the street, but once it goes in a building its gone. Talking about going in buildings. Sometimes you see 10 to 12 cars to go inside a single house. They simply just dissapear. And this is not the only strange thing. Many behaviours by your sims is just strange.. One building is complaining by no shoppers, while the second building is telling you business is going fantastic. Theres all kind off odd things like these which makes you feel the game was maybe not finished? So what has been removed? Landscaping, Power lines, Waterlines, Big maps, What did we get in return? Well some online social stuff, which currently doesn't seem to work very well. After numberous login attemps I have not yet been able to succesfully use any of the social functions. For example selling power between city's has not worked for me once yet.. Overall I got the feeling of a very limited game which is in no way an advancement of the previous sim city's. Basically all you can do is build roads and then decide to either allow industry, housing or commercial to be build next to the road. Then on top you build some basic things like watertower, police and fireman but thats about it.. EA I'm very dissapointed. I just paid 60 bucks for this and its simply just not worth it. Sorry to say in its current state even Farmville has more depth then this. Expand
  44. Mar 9, 2013
    Single player game and always drm connection required. Electronic Arts don't think in players without on line connection. If they want fight piracy, don't legal players with this I think this is a real good game but i can play. I hope EA is thinking about of this and go back to this stupid situation.
  45. Mar 10, 2013
    I am completely disappointed in what EA (Maxis) has developed for a game upgrade that I have waited almost 10 years for! I am shackled to a an overburden and sometime unavailable DRM server to even play this game in single play mode!! I cannot play the game if my Internet connection is down or if the EA servers are unavailable!! This seams to be the future of software "in the cloud".I am completely disappointed in what EA (Maxis) has developed for a game upgrade that I have waited almost 10 years for! I am shackled to a an overburden and sometime unavailable DRM server to even play this game in single play mode!! I cannot play the game if my Internet connection is down or if the EA servers are unavailable!! This seams to be the future of software "in the cloud". You do not have the ability to run it on your own PC when you want unless you are shackled to the EA servers. The size of the city you can create is also very limited and EA will probably take years to update it. Thank you EA for completely ruining my expectations for this new game release!!! Expand
  46. Mar 10, 2013
    Hey EA, thanks for ripping me off. I couldn't even play my game, because you seem to think that paying customers need to be tied up by a dog leash connected directly to your iron grip, all to prove that we didn't steal the game. At least Ubisoft learned eventually that this kind of DRM will MAKE PEOPLE VERY VERY VERY ANGRY. You'd think that after the Spore debacle, EA would never haveHey EA, thanks for ripping me off. I couldn't even play my game, because you seem to think that paying customers need to be tied up by a dog leash connected directly to your iron grip, all to prove that we didn't steal the game. At least Ubisoft learned eventually that this kind of DRM will MAKE PEOPLE VERY VERY VERY ANGRY. You'd think that after the Spore debacle, EA would never have pulled this crap again. So yeah, boycott EA. Do not buy any of their games until this stupid DRM is truly stamped out for good. It might take a while, but they'll get the message if enough of us have the balls to do the right thing. I know I personally boycotted a lot of Ubisoft games, and Far Cry 3 is the first one I've bought off them in years (excellent game btw, and none of the stupid always online crap). Expand
  47. Mar 10, 2013
    After trying to connect for almost a week i could finally try the game. Created a city after the tutorial however when i tried to resume the game a hour later i again could not reconnect to my server. Tried another server and about 20 min i could reconnect to EA en start simcity.. however my previous game/city was lost in space.. 30min game and about 10u trying to get connected. I have noAfter trying to connect for almost a week i could finally try the game. Created a city after the tutorial however when i tried to resume the game a hour later i again could not reconnect to my server. Tried another server and about 20 min i could reconnect to EA en start simcity.. however my previous game/city was lost in space.. 30min game and about 10u trying to get connected. I have no words for this disaster.. and they still are selling the game while you cannot play it. A worldwide SCAM just to get money from users Expand
  48. Mar 10, 2013
    Frustrated!
    Bought the game 4 days ago, have only got to the tutorial wich I played 3 times before the game lost connection. If i knew before what i know now i would never bought the game.Now i play simcity 4 instead.
  49. Mar 10, 2013
    Have to login to play a private game... which is stupid. Have random zombie attacks which I cannot do anything about and the maps are pathetically small. Played for 6 hours over 2 days, lost all my progress twice due to server issues.... so I'm not playing anymore.

EA, go f u c k off
  50. Mar 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nice promise, terrible deployment and planning! After managing to play about 3 days later from its launch, you get really dissapointed to see how your time and effort spent in building your cities is lost due to server problems. I don´t care about the online requirement to play, but EA, or Maxis, or Origin (I don't know who is responsible and don´t care) should have done a staged deployment to control all these mistakes. When you can actually play, the game is great although still has some bugs (overlaping homes and problems with borderline streets). I would not recommend this game, its just a general frustration, that is not worth the money payed for it. The EA support is terrible. I don´t get why my games end up saved on one server, and if I move to a different one I lose my progress done in the other server? What kind of implementation is that? Its a terrible design or terrible sync implementation. Overall, don´t buy this game... not yet! Its not worth your money. Expand
  51. Mar 10, 2013
    This online-only game was pretty much unplayable due to EA's servers and lack of testing. I was able to login for a total of 2 hours in the first four days. None of my progress or cities were ever saved on EA's servers. On top of this, EA is refusing refunds for online purchases. This lack of goodwill gives me little faith that the issues will be resolved. If the game was playable itThis online-only game was pretty much unplayable due to EA's servers and lack of testing. I was able to login for a total of 2 hours in the first four days. None of my progress or cities were ever saved on EA's servers. On top of this, EA is refusing refunds for online purchases. This lack of goodwill gives me little faith that the issues will be resolved. If the game was playable it might deserve a 5/10. It was certainly massively over-hyped by the critics. I won't be trusting any critic site reviews after this release. Expand
  52. Mar 10, 2013
    Where do we begin? The needless forced online play? The gargantuan amount of guns? The fact that the game has become a restricted mess in order for EA/Maxis to "fix it"? This game was probably a good idea once upon a time, but now it's simply terrible. The tilt-shift effect doesn't work correctly and just looks incredibly ugly, singleplayer is inherently broken since most of the usefulWhere do we begin? The needless forced online play? The gargantuan amount of guns? The fact that the game has become a restricted mess in order for EA/Maxis to "fix it"? This game was probably a good idea once upon a time, but now it's simply terrible. The tilt-shift effect doesn't work correctly and just looks incredibly ugly, singleplayer is inherently broken since most of the useful features do not work thus forcing players to play with others just to get the mechanics working. The game is incredibly overpriced for what you get and if you want EA to actually support you in the case that you have an issue with the game, you don't get any decent support. EA has outsourced most of the support to a text based thing that is ran in India, or a user-ran forum that never solves anyone's issues. The cities are too small, in reality, cities don't just suddenly end at a line, they sprawl out over a very large land mass. The game is more like Simtown. It's not even fun to play; this game is awful. Expand
  53. Mar 10, 2013
    Don't waste your time buying this over hyped piece of crap. The DRM, always online requirement completely cripples the game. But if you, like me, have made this purchase on good faith, knowing how well the simcities have been done in the past. Then you are a sucker, like me, and EA does not care if they sell you functioning game or not, they have your money and are laughing all the way toDon't waste your time buying this over hyped piece of crap. The DRM, always online requirement completely cripples the game. But if you, like me, have made this purchase on good faith, knowing how well the simcities have been done in the past. Then you are a sucker, like me, and EA does not care if they sell you functioning game or not, they have your money and are laughing all the way to the bank. Good job EA! You have stained your name for a very loooong time for this customer of the past. Expand
  54. Mar 10, 2013
    Can't buy one of these always-online games. Couple this with it being a digital copy that you cannot resell and i dont think you really own this. Instead of charging an amount for people to BUY the game, they should rent it. because thats what it is.
  55. Mar 10, 2013
    The game requires that you play mutli-player online, which is awful idea in my opinion. Since when to mayors want go head to head. At least let those who desire play the single player version should be allowed to. There are tons of single player with online mutli-player mixed that are great. The server issued, although sometimes expected a little for a new game, but this is at ridiculousThe game requires that you play mutli-player online, which is awful idea in my opinion. Since when to mayors want go head to head. At least let those who desire play the single player version should be allowed to. There are tons of single player with online mutli-player mixed that are great. The server issued, although sometimes expected a little for a new game, but this is at ridiculous levels. I played a total of a couple hours and I prerecorded the game, so I started playing on release date. The servers would not be an issue if you cold just player the game not multi-player, and just sign in basically instantaneously via internet like all steam, etc. games. This games fails horribly on all aspects, except for ok graphics. As far as gameplay itself, it has clunky controls and no room to build or move. Expand
  56. Mar 10, 2013
    The good: Building models look very detailed and nice. The roads are much more realistic and easy to be placed. The upgradable buildings give more control over city services and allow city blocks more customization. Also, the city specialization gives each city its own personality. Teaming up with other players in one region can be interesting.

The bad: Launch day was a mess. Many

The bad: Launch day was a mess. Many (actually, most) could not join any server to play the game. Despite the game costing $60 for Limited Edition, EA underfunded their servers and support for the game. This left a sour taste in customers' mouths. Once in the game it is easy to lose connection to the servers and possibly lose work. The whole process of building a city seems far too streamlined. Do this, then do that. Before you know it, your city cannot grow due to map size limitations and a quarter of your allocated map space is filled with city utilities and services along with a large possible amount of ground pollution if you don't have a Department of Utilities in the region. The removal of subways and certain types of rails also limit this game. Another aspect that hurts this game is the need to be constantly connected. Once the map is filled, what do you do? Go start another city and do the same thing over again? That is really the only choice. Aside from the server problems, when this game is no longer supported by its makers, will our copies of SimCity be unplayable and useless? My guess is, "Yes".

Overall: This game is not worth the price. I'm not sure it ever will be after hearing about micro transactions and a possible in-game store. That will only drive the price up the more it is played. Save yourself the cash and do not purchase this game.
  57. Mar 10, 2013
    Don't fool yourself. This is a $60 game rental. After an undetermined amount of time, EA will turn off the servers, meaning you can't play anymore. Forget about your future children enjoying this game. It won't be possible. Not only is it a rental, it is one that requires you to be on the internet ALL THE TIME. Forget taking this on vacation with you where you won't have internet. Have aDon't fool yourself. This is a $60 game rental. After an undetermined amount of time, EA will turn off the servers, meaning you can't play anymore. Forget about your future children enjoying this game. It won't be possible. Not only is it a rental, it is one that requires you to be on the internet ALL THE TIME. Forget taking this on vacation with you where you won't have internet. Have a lousy internet connection? Guess what, your game will drop. If you want a future where ALL video games are like this... and possibly where all music, TV, Movies... basically anything digital works like this, and where you HAD to be online ALWAYS... then by all means, be a fool and waste your money "buying" this game. Expand
  58. Mar 10, 2013
    El juego en si esta excelente (en el tiempo que pude jugar), pero los malditos servidores dejan de hacer su trabajo y adiós todo lo que hice en mas de 4 horas, en verdad eso si es muy frustrante.
    A ver si los de EA se ponen las pilas y ya resuelven este problema o de plano quiero mi dinero de vuelta.... y pues volver a Simcity 4 jajajaja
  59. Mar 10, 2013
    As a HUGE SimCity fan, this game is an insult. No terraforming, 2km of space, (Which for a SimCity game, is really small.) FIRST DAY EXPANSIONS, and always online drm. If you want an online SimCity game, just go play SimCity 2000: Network edition. Don't wast money on this crap.
  60. Mar 10, 2013
    Score of 2 is based on +8 for the game, -4 for EA/Origin (2 average). It's sad that a very good game has been greatly negatively impacted by technological problems on their end which should never have been an issue for a single-player game. What makes this worse is EA's response, which at one point fell to the level of blaming players for playing the game too much.

In the end, it

In the end, it boils down to a few key points:
    1) DRM is anti-consumer. It works for games like MMOs that are inherently always online, but it does not work for games meant to be single player even if it has multi-player elements.
    2) Forcing customers to play a certain way (always online, forcing multi-player, etc) results in a poor experience.
    3) NEVER NEVER NEVER purchase an EA/Origin or any DRM game without waiting 2 weeks post-release so you can read reviews on metacritic/destructoid/kotaku/etc. Paying $60 for something that causes more stress/frustration than enjoyment is not a good thing.

Remember the only way we can make our voices heard is through sites like this and our wallets. So voice your opinions and stop purchasing their products.
  61. Mar 10, 2013
    I knew this would be a hot mess, its EA after all. I play games for fun, and dont have the time nor the patience to be put out by shoddy developers. EA treats its paying customers like they are beta testers, when the game should be gold standard on the day it releases. Maybe the reason EA was so strict with the actual beta of this game is because they knew everyone would hate it andI knew this would be a hot mess, its EA after all. I play games for fun, and dont have the time nor the patience to be put out by shoddy developers. EA treats its paying customers like they are beta testers, when the game should be gold standard on the day it releases. Maybe the reason EA was so strict with the actual beta of this game is because they knew everyone would hate it and cancel their preorders. They played us as suckers again, I will just continue to play SimCity4. Expand
  62. Mar 10, 2013
    Sim City sucks. Your city is very small. DLC on release day, EA just wants to molest your wallet. EA forces you to be online even though their servers cannot handle you. DRM sucks, single player requiring online connection sucks. Don't expect to play this on your laptop unless you have wifi. I hate you EA you are ruining gaming.
  63. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is pretty shameful, the launch was terrible and just trying to experience the game isnt really even possible. Forced DRM is terrible too. Everybody already hates EA and they aren't making this any better. EA SCREW DRM.
  64. Mar 10, 2013
    So I had to give it at least a one on the score, but that is only because for the brief moments I have been able to play it was the Sim city game. Though this is not worth $60 and if I knew that I had to wait sometimes over an hour to just begin to play I would not have never bought this. My husband and I both bought it because we though we could play together but that has yet to happenSo I had to give it at least a one on the score, but that is only because for the brief moments I have been able to play it was the Sim city game. Though this is not worth $60 and if I knew that I had to wait sometimes over an hour to just begin to play I would not have never bought this. My husband and I both bought it because we though we could play together but that has yet to happen since the servers are constantly too busy and there is always an error in connection.

Major Fail on EA's part. I get everyone wants to do the next big thing and on line is the next thing but it sucks to be forced to play only on line. If I am going to play solo than let me play and not make me connect. I want my money back and will never be buying any game that is on line only and will never buy another Sim City game again.

I have heard rumors that to make up for the terrible experience that a free game will be given but I don't want some pre-picked game that is probably going to suck as well. Just give us a refund or at least a free game or games up to $40-$60 of our choice.

Don't waste your money and if you really want it wait until they fix all the problems. Though that might be never cause the internet is not reliable and servers usually crash when so many people try to play something at once
  65. Mar 10, 2013
    Almost a week after I purchase this game and I'm finally able to play decently. I've lost my first 3 cities due to this mess but I'm not TOO concerned about that. This always online DRM is not for me though so I just got through getting a refund for the game. If they ever put out a single player offline mode I might come back for it. Until then I'll be putting my money towards the CivitasAlmost a week after I purchase this game and I'm finally able to play decently. I've lost my first 3 cities due to this mess but I'm not TOO concerned about that. This always online DRM is not for me though so I just got through getting a refund for the game. If they ever put out a single player offline mode I might come back for it. Until then I'll be putting my money towards the Civitas kickstarter. Expand
  66. Mar 10, 2013
    the two biggest problems I found with this game that goes hand in hand is the forced Online connection need to support the DRM.
    the other factor is no bloody single player, sorry I don't want to play with others, I want to build a massive city and then make robots attack it like the old simcity.

how hard is it to copy/clone the old version of the game and make it with a new engine and doll it up...

the EA CEO needs to be fired or/and dragged into the street and horse whipped for this.

thank god I didn't buy this game, I got it for free and I feel like EA should be paying me to play it.

EA CEO needs be dragged out on the street and beaten with
  67. Mar 10, 2013
    This game sucks. All of this complete about "this game is great if you get around the server connectivity" is 100% shill hype.

1. The plots are too small. Bottom line. Specialization is required because you can't build everything. 2. player connectivity is vapid. The sharing of resources is stupid. Oh, wow, my friend is doing the garbage/electricity/water for me? Hooray. Who cares?

3. Zoning tool sucks. Maybe eventually you'd get used to the arbitrary sizes. Most cases you'll just build squares or arbitrary shapes. Most of the time this leads to random misused space. Or, you cram everything together and it doesn't expand enough. Hi, we liked original sim city because it was ON A GRID.

3. Road placement is sketchy. Wow i'm holding shift but it doesn't connect for one of a few vague reasons. How hard would it be for the game to have ghost planning spaces so you don't build something that gets in the way?

4. terrain is completely a roadblock. Want to waste space in an already small area? Get hills/cliffs jagged coast on your map. No you can't do things like tunnel, build bridges (sometimes you randomly can) blee blah.

So whatever, I'm sick of reviews about how its so addicting, so awesome, great except for the server issues. Look at the shill "industry reviews." They're just inventing a game that's behind the broken server, that isn't really there.
  68. srl
    Mar 11, 2013
    I actually like the game, it is pretty addictive. The thing you should understand about SimCity is that is isn't a single-player game anymore (technically, you can play alone but it is much less fun than playing with other people).
    However, they way they have released the game is horrible, an epic fail. Basically, they didn't do any real load testing they are trying to cope with the server load at this moment. As part of this, they have disabled some of the game fetures. Some features are simply bugged out like sharing resources between cities in the same region.
    So that's where we stand right now it's been a almost a week after the game was released, and it is still unplayable. Yes, you can at least join servers now, but you'd still get a very confuisng gaming experience.
  69. Mar 11, 2013
    What can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? Being a long-time Simcity fan, I gave EA the benefit of the doubt despite my past gaming experiences with them. (SWTOR and C&C, to name a few) Unfortunately, my faith in this company has evaporated completely. Thank God I held on to my receipt. Gamespot's review said it best: Simcity "the GAME" isn't as great as itsWhat can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? Being a long-time Simcity fan, I gave EA the benefit of the doubt despite my past gaming experiences with them. (SWTOR and C&C, to name a few) Unfortunately, my faith in this company has evaporated completely. Thank God I held on to my receipt. Gamespot's review said it best: Simcity "the GAME" isn't as great as its predecessors, but it's still fun. Simcity "the SERVICE" is a disaster. Ladies and gentlemen, when a gaming company forces constant connection for you to play a game, speak with your wallets and give them the silent treatment. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to find my old Simcity 4 CD to wash out any memories of this... abomination. Expand
  70. Mar 11, 2013
    This is a mess form Maxis and Electronic Arts!! If they would have wanted it worst, they wouldn't have been capable to do so!! Sadly, the DRM and the poor servrs decisions have mede this an unpleable game. It has been almost a week since release, and I haven't even been able to launch (and update) the game due to a lack of servers availability. The game itselt may be awesome, but it'sThis is a mess form Maxis and Electronic Arts!! If they would have wanted it worst, they wouldn't have been capable to do so!! Sadly, the DRM and the poor servrs decisions have mede this an unpleable game. It has been almost a week since release, and I haven't even been able to launch (and update) the game due to a lack of servers availability. The game itselt may be awesome, but it's broken, and right now, as it is... It's just a rip off from Electronic Arts!! It's really so sad to talk bad abouta game for this issues instead of the fun factor an dit's gameplay... EA... you should be ashamed and give the money back!! I seriously recomend!! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME (at least, not for now)... If you do (like I did), you'll be throwing your money to Electronic Arts for nothing in return!! Expand
  71. Mar 13, 2013
    I will be generous and give this game 1 point because it could possibly be a good game if it somehow happened to work properly. I seriously have had more issues with this game than any other game I've played in my 20+ years of gaming. In the beginning the servers were overcrowded to the point that you couldn't even play the game. And, even if you could play, all progress was sure to beI will be generous and give this game 1 point because it could possibly be a good game if it somehow happened to work properly. I seriously have had more issues with this game than any other game I've played in my 20+ years of gaming. In the beginning the servers were overcrowded to the point that you couldn't even play the game. And, even if you could play, all progress was sure to be lost because it would fail to upload your game to cloud. After they added more servers the game started working properly for about a day, then many more bugs started to pop up. As of now, out of all of the regions to choose from, I'm only able to find one region type to play on publicly and that is Titan Gorge. It's frustrated me so much that I've decided to return or hopefully sell the game to someone (for a loss of course) after all the problems I've been required to face. I recommend anyone out there that does not like being robbed or swindled out of their hard earned money to refrain from buying this game. You will literally feel nothing more than absolute disappointment if you choose to spend money on this pile of doo doo. Please recall that the score of 1 that I give this game is a very generous score considering all circumstances. Expand
  72. Mar 13, 2013
    I bought this game as the servers began to stabilize, hoping to have a good experience now that the game is supposed to be playable. Boy was that a mistake.

This game is very broken right now. None of the advisers work right, telling you to zone the wrong things and build the wrong things. None of the indicators work right. I have filled my city with fire departments and hospitals, with max coverage over every inch of the city. I'm still being yelled at by my Sims for not having enough fire/medical coverage. I have three police stations and I'm being yelled at about crime levels. I have two grade schools, a high school, a community college, a university, and a library... yep, I'm being yelled at for not having any education. I have plenty of citizens and plenty of jobs, but the citizens complain about unemployment and the businesses complain about no workers. The search function to find a region to play in does not work. This game is horribly horribly broken and I am going to seek a refund immediately. Please do not waste your money!
  73. Mar 14, 2013
    Fun concept but an un-worthy sequel that is extremly flawed and buggy. Read http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523158 for the complete story.
  74. Mar 14, 2013
    With the name Simcity you would expect a quality gaming experience. Sadly this is not the case with Simcity 5. Simcity 4 is a far superior game. Always on DRM is a massive pain, and to anyone who's ever played an EA game that required servers to authenticate you'll know those servers only stay on for so long. Will your game continue to play 10 years later like Simcity 4 did? Nope.With the name Simcity you would expect a quality gaming experience. Sadly this is not the case with Simcity 5. Simcity 4 is a far superior game. Always on DRM is a massive pain, and to anyone who's ever played an EA game that required servers to authenticate you'll know those servers only stay on for so long. Will your game continue to play 10 years later like Simcity 4 did? Nope. Aside from the BS of their DRM the game is massively broken. Tiny building areas are one problem as well as the complete disaster that is the sims ability to pathfind. Build a road next to an avenue and watch the road get completely clogged while the avenue is ignored completely. I might take another peak at this in a years time if they release an offline playing mode since its been proven the 'glassbox engine' doesn't actually do anything online except run drm and a leader board. Expand
  75. Mar 14, 2013
    i have been able to play for 4 days. i have had to restart several times as my regions just disapear?? there are still many broken aspects of the game no grid guides, no city border guide, firetrucks all go to same house..... even with these expensive losses the city size is the bigest lame out. if u want to play a very limited few city blocks with enormous support buildings, Good Luck toi have been able to play for 4 days. i have had to restart several times as my regions just disapear?? there are still many broken aspects of the game no grid guides, no city border guide, firetrucks all go to same house..... even with these expensive losses the city size is the bigest lame out. if u want to play a very limited few city blocks with enormous support buildings, Good Luck to ya! i cannot get past 120k popualation with only 1 industry. Ive used half my city to have the ability to build an oil refinery and still cannot reach the daily income that will unlock the building that will unlock oil refineries. My city has full oil reserves & i have pumps on every inch. The city size isnt just small, its disproportionately small. The buildings are huge. This is not a fun game Expand
  76. Mar 14, 2013
    This game was terrible. It was a bad write-off of the old (and good) SimCity. I am very disappointed, and the fact that it has DRM makes it even worse.
  77. Mar 15, 2013
    Disregarding all of the bugs on release, this game still has problems. There are only really 4 hours of gameplay, and cities don't connect properly throughout the region. I found the longest it took (even in the most prime city locations) to cap out my city, to the point where I could no longer build anything (because of space) and every building was upgraded to a skyscraper, with maxDisregarding all of the bugs on release, this game still has problems. There are only really 4 hours of gameplay, and cities don't connect properly throughout the region. I found the longest it took (even in the most prime city locations) to cap out my city, to the point where I could no longer build anything (because of space) and every building was upgraded to a skyscraper, with max tech, was four hours. Within four hours I was generating millions of dollars every 20 minutes or so, and the only thing I could do is start over. Which may be fine for some people, but keep in mind that when you start over, you can either pick from one of the 3 cities connected to yours, or start over completely in a city that is not connected, but within the same zone. Here is the catch. Those three cities that are connected, will all be in terrible locations. They will either be riddled with mountains, minimizing your space. Or divided completely by Water, using up your space. The cities are just too small to really get in-depth, and sink hours into this game. That wouldn't be such a big problem if every city in the region connected, but they don't. And since this game focuses on multiplayer so much, the cities that are connected to you will likely be taken up by your friends. Thus this game gets a 3. It's fun, for four hours, then it sucks. Don't bother. This is nothing like Simcity 4, it is at least 4 steps in the wrong direction. Everything is oversimplified to the point where the bulk of your time is spent sitting, waiting for money to come in, and occasionally demolishing an abandoned building. Expand
  78. Mar 15, 2013
    I read news about it, but I decided to take the bait and see what the game is all about because I am (now was) a simcity fan. I bought it a week after it came out so I didn't have much server issues. Presentation may be pretty(cities they show you in youtube looks great, which made me buy the game) but once you get down into playing it, you realize so many things broken or missing. ThingsI read news about it, but I decided to take the bait and see what the game is all about because I am (now was) a simcity fan. I bought it a week after it came out so I didn't have much server issues. Presentation may be pretty(cities they show you in youtube looks great, which made me buy the game) but once you get down into playing it, you realize so many things broken or missing. Things that are broken (such as simple pathfinding) was commented by EA that they will fix it soon. Other things that are broken (such as multiplayer), is broken and will be for a very long time until they fix the servers and fix the way cities interact within regions. Things that are missing, EA will probably sell them for bucks (subway, zoo, etc etc). In summary, they didn't deliver what they promised to, and while it is fine that they wanted to build from ground up, it doesn't mean you take contents out of your previous simcity. This game is a utter disaster. Expand
  79. Mar 15, 2013
    "EA destoying games" moto started by some "whiners" -a few will say, but currently is has become an indisputable reality. They bought all the good games because they have investors with much money. Those investors now sit in their 5millions vila and receive from the gamer's pain. Check the latest games that all of them have been released in a not even beta form, and you'll understand what"EA destoying games" moto started by some "whiners" -a few will say, but currently is has become an indisputable reality. They bought all the good games because they have investors with much money. Those investors now sit in their 5millions vila and receive from the gamer's pain. Check the latest games that all of them have been released in a not even beta form, and you'll understand what happened to Sim4. They want to make as much money as they can, but they invest as less as they can. Expand
  80. Mar 16, 2013
    A game with great potential broken due to a flawed server implementation. A lot of the old SimCity features were removed, and you are left with a limited feature set that is hamstrung by the broken inter-city working.
    I've stopped playing out of pure frustration.
  81. Mar 16, 2013
    A good game is lurking in here somewhere, but the DRM and huge amount of bugs and flaws ruin the experience completely forcing people to play multiplayer online and not offering a single player solution is ludicrous.

EA and maxis have been disproven a lot of times on what they said about the game having to connect to servers to do crucial computations to the games core, and still fail to admit they have been lying and misleading consumers to cover there own backs. Do not waste your money on this tragic waste of what could of been a great game.
  82. Mar 16, 2013
    This is my first Metacritic review. I'm giving the game a 4. I feel that's an honest score, and it will still raise the user score. The launch was terrible. Completely terrible. The DRM and the map size are two serious issues for anyone considering this game. The game is buggy and feels unfinished. It was a lot of fun for a few hours, but I have little desire to return to it now. It seemsThis is my first Metacritic review. I'm giving the game a 4. I feel that's an honest score, and it will still raise the user score. The launch was terrible. Completely terrible. The DRM and the map size are two serious issues for anyone considering this game. The game is buggy and feels unfinished. It was a lot of fun for a few hours, but I have little desire to return to it now. It seems more like a tech demo that they decided to get ready for public release. I expect a lot of DLC and future store items to buy. I guess spending $60 on the base game isn't quite enough. Luckily, I got a $20 credit with my pre-order, but I still wish I had just not purchased the game and saved the $40 for something better. Anyways, a warning to anyone thinking about purchasing the game: It's kind of fun, but it has a ton of issues. Maybe wait until it's in the bargain bin or wait for an expansion or future patch to iron out the kinks. Expand
  83. Mar 17, 2013

Get rid of "origin" PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Good game, but terrible install process. Long registration and massive file updates make playing the game the same day you bought it, damn near impossible. Confusing registration prompts you to download the game rather then use the actual CD I bought for $60? Why do we even need it then... Microsoft is slipping. You guys need to look at Blizzard (starcraft, warcraft etc...) install and registration process and take notes.

When buying the game at Game Stop, the guy behind the counter said, "Before you buy this I must tell you that a lot of customers are trying to return this game because they are having problems installing the product. We do not accept returns on PC games" I took the risk)

FIX THE INSTALL AND LOAD TIMES. PUT MORE DATA ON THE ACTUAL DISK and stop trying to always "sell" me something of acquire my email for marketing (typical Microsoft sh**t)
  84. Mar 19, 2013
    I had high hopes for Simscity.. not only was there such a huge build up for it, but they made it look awesome. HOWEVER... I was hugely disappointed. Not only is it online based (annoyingly), but the server crashes all the time, the cities are tiny AND the game crashes.
    Okay the online issue. They should have made this optional. A lot of my time is spent on travelling, which has no internet... so how am I supposed to keep track off my cities.
    Notice I said cities.. not only do you have to use internet, you have to put up with tiny cities which run out of spaced ridiculously fast and constantly give you bad reviews as you cant satisfy your cities need for expansion, you have to control numerous cities, or rent them to strangers.
    The only good factor about this is that you can share resources,
    SO yes.
    it has relatively good graphics; compared with the older simscity; but I much prefer simcity the older ones for the simple fact I can make them as large as I want, without having to worry about running out of space so quickly.
    DO NOT BUY!
  85. Mar 22, 2013
    When drm and server problems fade, the real weakness of the game shines through. Region lag is a continuing issue, and individual plots are way too small to accommodate any reasonably sized city. The AI is a joke, with traffic patterns driving you crazy. It'll take them a year or so to release the game they promised; if they don't give it to you for free, don't bother.
  86. Mar 25, 2013
    Can't say the online-only bothers me. The $60 is a bit much for a self distributed game with no brick and mortar middleman. The worst is this is Sim-Region, not Sim-City. I miss the large open city spaces where you can make one nice city. The forcing of small cities working in a region (single player or online) is so distracting from the SimCity ancestry. The game simply is not thatCan't say the online-only bothers me. The $60 is a bit much for a self distributed game with no brick and mortar middleman. The worst is this is Sim-Region, not Sim-City. I miss the large open city spaces where you can make one nice city. The forcing of small cities working in a region (single player or online) is so distracting from the SimCity ancestry. The game simply is not that much fun to play as there is such a progression required, resources run thin if you just play one region, and the online time commitment is too much. I wish Maxis would supplement the single player experience, call the online only what it is (DRM), and lower the price to something in line with the experience. Expand
  87. Mar 31, 2013
    Death to EA for releasing a broken product and refusing to give refunds. Constant online c'mon Sim City is a good single play game. What if my internet sucks. It lags out, I lose connection to EA's crappy servers and lose my progress. You can't make big cities either. I didn't buy this and I'm so glad. I'm boycotting EA. Microtransactions, online required, and all of that is a con artistDeath to EA for releasing a broken product and refusing to give refunds. Constant online c'mon Sim City is a good single play game. What if my internet sucks. It lags out, I lose connection to EA's crappy servers and lose my progress. You can't make big cities either. I didn't buy this and I'm so glad. I'm boycotting EA. Microtransactions, online required, and all of that is a con artist move against consumers. Expand
  88. Apr 3, 2013
    EA have taken a deep, relaxing simulation and turned it into an iphone game for 12 year old girls (imagine "The Sims" with a option to 'plop' houses down).
    City size is laughable compared to every other city empire building game out there. Servers will eat your gamesave, never to be seen again and you never even own the game, you are renting until EA turn off the servers whenever they feel like it (read when it's not making them enough profit).
    Learn from others mistakes people, do not buy.
  89. Apr 4, 2013
    Maybe i will rerate when its finished in a year or so. but at present, a month after release its still an unfinished mess with small city zones, crippling traffic issues and limited playability. Online only is a pita
  90. Apr 5, 2013
    never buy this game,, just waste money and time im really disappointed with this game,, and hope EA will give my money back..

and the online feature it really suck,,
    just annoying
  91. Jun 9, 2013
    Always online DRM that can be disabled by deleting one line of code, terrible programming, unplayable at launch, lies and lies and lies, absolutely disgusting example of why EA is the worst thing to ever happen to gaming.
  92. Jun 18, 2013
    I agree with the mean of the user score, even if I'm a professional reviewer and I've to give it a vote near 6 (55). I TRIED to play it at day one with the problems you witnessed. Then tried to play it after update 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0. No way, SimCity is fundamentally broken. A piece of s**t, in other words. Will Wright, please make ti properly (better than SC4!) via Kickstarter, we'll finance it.
  93. Jun 23, 2013
    Ok i really want to enjoy this game, it looks good, i like the mechanics BUT THE ALWAYS ONLINE DRM is not for SimCity. And EA being EA this game will go offline and be unplayable in a few years. Thats not worth it
  94. Jun 26, 2013
    I cannot believe SC5 is this game. The cities are ridicoulous little, you'cant expand...there are not underground like in SC4...the traffic is not sustainable due to skycrapers in a little village...water, even close to the sea run out easily and people left city because of no water this is ridicolous, in real life this is never going to happen). If you put a nuclear power station thenI cannot believe SC5 is this game. The cities are ridicoulous little, you'cant expand...there are not underground like in SC4...the traffic is not sustainable due to skycrapers in a little village...water, even close to the sea run out easily and people left city because of no water this is ridicolous, in real life this is never going to happen). If you put a nuclear power station then radioactivity kills everyone in the sorrounding in few months... this is absolutely not real life!!!! Who was the diretor of this game? probably a kid of 4 years old could have done better job. Expand
  95. Jul 23, 2013
    This has got to be the worst game I have ever bought in my life. I am (was) a huge fan of SimCity, and was looking forward to this with a lot of anticipation. After seeing the launch fiasco, I decided to wait. After I saw the reviews... I decided to wait a little longer. When I finally purchased the game, I had to go through the horrid Origin experience, useless and annoying interface.This has got to be the worst game I have ever bought in my life. I am (was) a huge fan of SimCity, and was looking forward to this with a lot of anticipation. After seeing the launch fiasco, I decided to wait. After I saw the reviews... I decided to wait a little longer. When I finally purchased the game, I had to go through the horrid Origin experience, useless and annoying interface.
    When I FINALLY logged on I saw that EA had decided to put advertisements while the game loaded, gee thanks, I'll go buy a car while the game loads, I guess.
    When I finally could play, I saw first hand what everyone was complaining about: dumb AI, uselessly small maps, and the DRM is infuriating, I lost whatever progress my tiny city made because the game would not save or lost connection somehow.
    All in all, I uninstalled the program after playing it three times, and since EA does not give refunds on online downloads, I feel like a sucker for giving SimCity 5 the benefit of the doubt.
    (PS. I bought this game in April but someone just brought up the topic and the memories enraged me enough to write this review)
  96. Mar 5, 2013
    I've been trying to play this game for 5 hours and still have yet to be able to log on to the server. The only thing that appealed to me about this game was the multiplayer aspect. If I wanted to play single-player SimCity, I would play SimCity 4, which has way more features and a huge modding community pumping out awesome content.

I played the beta, so I know the game isn't horrible,

I played the beta, so I know the game isn't horrible, or I wouldn't have bought it. But I haven't been able to play since I gave them my money. Selling me a game and not letting me play it? That deserves a zero.
  97. Mar 5, 2013
    Downloaded the game last night, haven't been able to even play the tutorial yet... this DRM is absurd. I'm sure the game is great once you can play, but not worth this garbage... don't waste your money
  98. Mar 6, 2013
    Can not access game. Always on DRM. If you want to play this game just download it for "free" the first chance you get. Single player games should not require you to be online, it's as simple as that. I bought this game for my wife, she was super excited.. I bought her lunch and took our son out so she could have some fun alone time that she hasn't gotten in months. So of course sheCan not access game. Always on DRM. If you want to play this game just download it for "free" the first chance you get. Single player games should not require you to be online, it's as simple as that. I bought this game for my wife, she was super excited.. I bought her lunch and took our son out so she could have some fun alone time that she hasn't gotten in months. So of course she was upset when she couldn't play it. If Blizzard can't pull off always-online DRM without screw ups, I don't know what makes EA think they can. Expand
  99. Mar 6, 2013
    I have been very excited for this game, in fact this is the first EA game for me in a very long time. Coming from many MMO's I expect server outages, patching, etc. However I do feel that EA/Maxis brought this on themselves with lack luster beta testing. The fact is they only allowed for beta for a total of two days separated by 2 weeks each time and only allowed you the play the gameI have been very excited for this game, in fact this is the first EA game for me in a very long time. Coming from many MMO's I expect server outages, patching, etc. However I do feel that EA/Maxis brought this on themselves with lack luster beta testing. The fact is they only allowed for beta for a total of two days separated by 2 weeks each time and only allowed you the play the game for 1 hour and not all the features worked. So what to do you...servers not properly tested. The whole "you need internet to play this game because real cities need outsides" is BS. This game should of had an option to play online or offline. How is it that I create a city (mark it as private) and don't allow anyone to join but me any different then playing offline? Its not. The fact is the game is 100% online because EA/Maxis wants to make it hard to steal the game.

Over the past 48 hours I have clocked in a total of 3 hours of actual play time due to server issues and login problems.

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]