7.8

1. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Not the best, but they still look amazing on PC. Physics could be much better. 9.5.

Sound: Gun sounds are okay, voice acting is okay, no memorable themes, environment sounds are good. 8.

Gameplay: The game feels like it has the Call of Duty controls mixed with a Half-Life experience. Singularity does have its own legs to stand on. The game features a neat time
    travel mechanic using the singularity device attached to the players arm. You can use it to manipulate objects, and enemies in the environment. It’s set on basic objects, and doesn’t give you the freedom to mess with anything, but it’s still something new brought to the table. The game is linear and as the player progresses you run into flashbacks, and even end up time traveling. The game does a good job mixing time periods together. The boss battles are fun, but easy to figure out. The enemies in the game consist of soldiers, and mutated creatures which are at times challenging to take down. The game features a multiplayer mode which I could not test out because the game is dead. I can’t find much flaws with the game other than the fact that it needs a better variety of enemies, and the gameplay in general needs better guns, maybe melee weapons too, and environments that don’t feel like you’re just walking in a straight path, and puzzles that don’t always consist of just manipulating one object just to get to the next objective. There should have been puzzles which are challenging and use actual physics. Singularity is still a new and fun experience that lasts as a thrill ride. 9.

Story: The story is actually really interesting. Without giving much away, I’ll just say that in the beginning you end up time traveling to a point where you save a man from a burning building who ends up being the main villain in the game. Throughout the game you time travel uncovering more information about the Singularity, and the game leads to an ending which is in the hands of the player. The game leaves on a strong note leaving fans in hope that Activision intends to take a break from Call of Duty and allows Raven to work on a sequel. The story is pretty straight forward and does have a twist, but for some reason I already sort of knew what happened, and the game presents it as some crazy twist. Other portions of the story can be read through notes, records found throughout the game and writings on the wall. The game isn’t the greatest video game story, but it is still a great experience. 9.

Lasting Appeal: Got the game for about 5-7 bucks from a Steam sale and I’d say at that price it is worth it. I think it’s selling for 30 bucks right now, and due to the length of the game, I’d recommend waiting on another sale. The game lasts about 6-7 hours. I’d still recommend this game to be played through at least once. 9.5.

Overall Score: 9 out of 10.
  2. Apr 6, 2013
    Outstanding game in all respects. Great story, intriguing weapons, and challenging puzzles. Also, the game seemed to be about the right length--took me about 30+ hours over a two week period to beat it. I recommend this game highly
  3. Oct 23, 2010
    Very good shooter. Think Doom-Quake-Wolfenstein with the gameplay and graphic enigine of Bioshock doing Yuri's Revenge artwork, plus cutscenes from Modern Warfare 2. Sure it's a rehash, but it's a rehash of the nicest games I played. Besides, there really are some great, 'original' ideas in the game. Highly recommended.
  4. Jan 21, 2012
    Great game! I love both the single player and the multiplayer as both are good. Though it really sucks that Activision didn't advertise it, not many people bought the game. The game was awesome, but there's probably not going to be a sequel because Activision doesn't care to advertise games that have potential to be as great as Call of Duty. I don't even have a complaint about this game, everything was good if not great to me. Although I don't have a complaint, I still wouldn't put it above Fallout 3 or anything, but it is a really good game. Overall, if you want a good shooter game that isn't Call of Duty or Battlefield, play this game. Expand
  5. May 9, 2012
    Not the best FPS i have ever played. However it was a good addition to the genre and the use of time altering mechanics was very interesting. For the price this is definitely worth a game picking up.

Only thing that bugged me as some others have mentioned is there are no subtitles. I can hear fine and this didn't overly bother me however i always like to have subs on just in case i don't
    quite catch what someone is saying and because reading subs is like second nature to me being an avid fan of anime. Expand
  6. May 16, 2013
    I've played this game for two days now and I'm taken liking of this game. If we forget that this game was greatly inspired by Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and maybe also Bioshock, with a heart ripped off from Halo and Call of Duty.... this is a damn fun game from veteran developers at Raven Software.

More accurate description of this game would be that it's a Call of Duty but set into the Doom
    universe, with Half-Life 2 physics gun, and Bioshock-like skill upgrade mechanics (and audio logs like the ones in System Shock).

Technically Singularity doesn't bring anything new on the table with it's Unreal Engine. The Sigularity is a very easy game even on a high difficulty level. Upgrade mechanics are inconsistant and right out confusing at first. The Skill upgrades for player are not very well thought out and there's little to no reason to upgrade anything than just handful of skills out of a dozen options. There is also no need to upgrade weapons except for the sub-machine gun and sniper rifle. (Side note: I've never seen such an useless shotgun in any other game than in this one.)

This is clearly an FPS intended for Playstation and Xbox, but the Windows version works decently. I miss the FOV setting and lots of other things such as bind for an ability to walk in this game which causes problems with some level and enemy design I'll explain soon. Even thought this game has weird default binds, you can easily adjust to them. However I suggest moving the health pack from key h to key x. You can also only carry two weapons at time plus the TMD which is a kind of melee weapon/tool in this game.

Level design has some issues. Like invisible walls everywhere, and levels are mostly just a straight pipe. Sigularity was clearly designed and intended to be played on a gamepad. It means that when you move with a gamepad you can push the stick just a little or completely all the way, and that dictates your walking running speed. On a keyboard it's either on or off switch between not moving or moving as fast as normally you can (sprint is a separate function).

There are sections in this game you cannot play on Windows without the help of a gamepad as it was intended by the Singularity's developers. In that part you have to keep certain move speed and sneak or you'll attact attention of the opponents. With keyboard you'll end up wasting ammo. Which kind of sucks. But isn't a big problem since the game constantly keep supplying ammo to you.

Now that out of the way, what's good about this game? Everything else. Atmosphere is fantastic, jumpscares are well done, music is good, characters are decent (even the ones copied from other games), and the black humour is hilarious.

Time travelling thing in this game works flawlessly and while it's usage is limited, it's great fun. Levels offer minimal amout of exploring despite the pipe-stylish level design. There are things you can go look at and figure out how to get them (even if the solutions are very simple at most of the time). Graphics are decent. And sound design is well done (without counting few weird bits).

Something this game has that lacks from so many other games is the kind of rhythm it has to it. Just when you think you've seen it all, the game throws something new at you and keeps the interest up. Sigularity knows how to focus on what's important at the time too and adjusts accordingly. I strongly think that we need more games like these. This is a fun game. It sure has its issues but it is lots of fun. Check it out with a discounted price tag from Steam or something. It's worth every penny.
  7. Dec 30, 2011
    Cool story and decent shooting action. One of those few hidden jewels that didn't get much deserved attention for some reason. Has some issues with mouse and key bindings.
  8. Jul 12, 2011
    Great mix of Half-life 2, Bioshock, and Dead Space. They shamelessly stole all of the best elements from the best shooters and created a great gaming experience. I picked this game up for $10 and it turned out to be much more entertaining than the last two $60 games that I bought. Highly recommended for fans of fps!
  9. Sep 7, 2010
    This game has awesome gameplay,similar to that of cod4.2.The game has spooky enviorments,and impressive graphics.More over this game is quiet a masterpiece.
  10. Nov 9, 2010
    This is a Doom 3 inspired game, with a strong dose of Bioshock, and a brush of Half Life 2. I love this game for the gunfights, over-the-top powers, and to a moderate extent, the characters and story, but design flaws are aplenty. Firstly TRANSPARENT WALLS!? that's just plain lazy in level designing, secondly every level is closed ended and scripted, which I'm not a fan of. I prefer the Crysis/Farcry kind of approach to an objective. Here's my biggest gripe, this game was very obviously made for the consoles and their low-end hardware, not only are the stock graphics outdated and unimpressive, there are no video options to kick the graphics up, and this game only runs on stereo, anything more(4.1/5.1/7.1) will yield absolutely NO SOUND. The port over for controls are unintuitive as well. However considering all the significant downsides, it's still a moderately decent shooter, and quite frankly Activision, you guys got no right to be disappointed with the sales. Expand
  11. May 20, 2011
    I bought this game because it was only like $10 and change. I have to say that I really enjoyed it! Even not on sale I would recommend this game. The weapon mechanics and gameplay are perfect for my style of play. I enjoyed this every bit as much as I enjoyed Half-Life 2. Great graphics, great sound (as long as you remember to alt-tab out of the game and turn up the game sound in Windows 7). My only complaint is that I had problems when I installed the game, it would ot start. If you install via Steam you have to reboot your PC, then the game works great. All in all a great experience. Expand
  12. Dec 4, 2011
    Amazing game - but the publisher's marketing department didn't push it because they wanted to put they money on COD marketing. I hate COD!!! This game is a unique and immersive fps, highly critically rated.
  13. Jan 29, 2013
    A well-crafted mix between Bioshock and Half Life 2 - with its own surprising ideas and a striking atmosphere. You may criticise its length (I beat it in 8 hours), but in those hours, I've been entertained on a very high and constant level. To me, it's one of those rare surprise hits - I'd love to see a sequel!
  14. CJR
    Jan 5, 2013
    A great title, good storyline, you will play it at least twice through it is that good. It is linear like nearly every FPS these days, no back-tracking and a story that is pretty original and not very predictable. The weapons feel good, and there are some good ones in there, they are fun and level designs let you make good use of them all on more than one occasion.

This title is
    overshadowed by the COD series and it's clear activision prefers it this way. This game is only available in the retail package, no STEAM release that i'm aware of, very silly if you ask me because this is a decent and solid FPS title and raven software would make some more cash from this title as it's probably out of print at this point.

If you like FPS titles with some sci-fi elements and can handle giving money to activision without becoming sick to your stomach, then this title is for you.
  15. Aug 17, 2010
    While I must admit I was a little worried with the way Activision handled the marketing of Singularity, oh wait..,they didn't do any marketing at all. I figured they knew some awful truth about the game's quality and didn't want gamers to find out and "accidentally" buy it. Well the texture issue was announced so I decided to wait for an official patch. I purchased the PC version from D2D, applied the patch and I must admit I wasn't disappointed at all. The Graphics are absolutely top notch and beautiful and game play was very smooth without a single glitch. The storyline started out interesting, the pacing was good which to me is important to keep my attention. I really found the historical part of the story very well written. The developers took time to write a plausible story with memorable events and 3 dimensional characters, all the while taking careful pains to portray the Russian victims in a compassionate and sympathetic manner. I really cared what happened to all those poor Russian workers whose dessicated remains littered the grounds. You can tell they worked hard at getting the eye candy, audio and music just right, they all pace the storyline perfectly. I've found game music is used to the point of being over barring in other titles so Singularity was a pleasant surprise. I've heard some gamers grumble about having to listen to all the tape recorders in the game but I found them oddly poignant, they tended to slow game play down because you couldn't hear the message unless you stayed close but they really helped move the story along and added a much needed human angle to an otherwise dismal place. The designers hide journal pages written by the katorga victims all around the facility. I thought they contained game play hints or hidden E99 tech stashes to help move the storyline along. The upgrade feature is functional, easy to use but not really original. The idea is to collect E99 tech of various sizes that are either hidden or placed right in eye sight. You then used them like currency at upgrade & augmentation machines strategically scattered throughout the game. Other items like weapons briefcases are used to upgrade aspects of your weapons, e.i (faster load times, increased damage etc.,). What would have been real cool is if Renko himself used some of the E99 tech he finds to somehow augment his own body into a bio morphed weapon. Renko was already walking around camo deep in the most poisonous, radioactive place on earth, why not just have him mutate into something altogether different like the others? Just a suggestion anyway. You've seen this before in other games so I already know what to expect but there's always one weapon gamers find absolutely useless and in this game its the mini gun. It dumps a ton of bullets at targets but they rarely hit anything or does any appreciable damage so I avoided it like the plague for the rest of the game. My favorite weapon on the other hand has to be the seeker, it kills with one shot and is easy to target. The TMD was incredible nothing like reducing a monster or human to a pile of ashes in seconds and is one of the best conceived gaming devices ever! I used it constantly in all types of battles and situations, the developers did a good job in balancing the TDM as a weapon and as a tool for puzzles. The game appears to have a nice open world feel to it until you try to explore away from the beaten path. It would have been nice look around and see more of the island just to satisfy curiousity. I liked the way the levels were designed, you just didn't stumble through them by jumping from crate to stairs to ledge. Some of the levels allow you to fully utilize the TDM's full potential and in some cases its the only way to continue forward. A few of the AI enemies can be a little easy to kill, they just stand there taken hit after hit until they fall down but that was rare. Overall the game reminded my of Bioshock ( tape recorders, mysterious events happening in an inaccessible location) I really don't have any major complaints with the game except for one item, the young lady. She seems like a superfluous add- on period. Why would any paramilitary group send a young, attractive lady into an incredibility dangerous place like katorga-12 with no camo gear or protection what so ever. She offered very little background on her and her organization and acted more like a distraction than an asset to Renko. The game was a little short but I'm giving the game a 9. Thanks Raven Soft for a great game, I'm ready for Singularity 2! Expand
  16. Apr 21, 2012
    Great game. The engine/gameplay is absolutely novel and superb. The atmospheric "fake russian" scenery is absolutely fitting, and the storyline is about as great as Sci-Fi/Realism hybrids go. It was too short however, and I feel that the game could be expanded into something that is even greater.
  17. Aug 25, 2010
    Game is really fun to play my only complaint for Single player game is that it wasn't long enough. I shouldn't be able to beat the game in 2 days or about 9 hours. Should take about a week. This is my complaint about most new games but besides that, this is one of the most fun games to play in a long time. I love everything about it.
  18. Jul 15, 2011
    If the measure of a great game is how quickly I was driven to complete it, Singularity was my sleeper hit of the year. Decent sound and graphics surround a *gasp* well written sci-fi thriller story, in a package that runs well on any recent gaming PC. In addition to guns, your character has several powerful and fun powers to use on the many types of enemies the game throws at you. A few lame puzzles slow the pace a bit at times, but it never got to be a problem in my eyes. If you've looked at Singularity and thought you might like it, please give it a chance. You will get sucked in. Expand
  19. Feb 23, 2012
    Although it's a bit too much influenced by Bioshock, it's a really good game... rather than Bioshock i think ;-)
    Good ambiance, story, good looking (some display bugs sometimes), and it's cheap buying !
  20. Oct 16, 2010
    Singularity is an excellent game overall. Despite its obvious resemblance to Bioshock and Half-Life 2, it put in its series of innovation that made this game very funny and enjoyable to play. The Science-Fiction plot is really something, and game engine is very well-made; there are different upgradable weapons and lots of ways to crush your enemies, and you will actually need them at higher difficulty levels. The game offers alternate finals and lots of background information all around the game world. Multiplayer is not really innovative but it can be really fun. I believe that this was a game i always waited, and Activision gave us a beautiful game to play with. Expand
  21. Nov 1, 2010
    Activision handled the marketing of Singularity, oh wait..,they didn't do any marketing at all. I figured they knew some awful truth about the game's quality and didn't want gamers to find out and "accidentally" buy it. Well the texture issue was announced so I decided to wait for an official patch. I purchased the PC version from D2D, applied the patch and I must admit I wasn't disappointed at all. The Graphics are absolutely top notch and beautiful and game play was very smooth without a single glitch. The storyline started out interesting, the pacing was good which to me is important to keep my attention. I really found the historical part of the story very well written. The developers took time to write a plausible story with memorable events and 3 dimensional characters, all the while taking careful pains to portray the Russian victims in a compassionate and sympathetic manner. I really cared what happened to all those poor Russian workers whose dessicated remains littered the grounds. You can tell they worked hard at getting the eye candy, audio and music just right, they all pace the storyline perfectly. I've found game music is used to the point of being over barring in other titles so Singularity was a pleasant surprise. Expand
  22. Jan 26, 2014
    I was genuinely surprised with this game. I only purchased it because there was a deal where you can get Prototype for free. I saw it on the shelf and said, "Eh, it looks cool enough for Prototype I guess". Boy was I surprised. I figured I might as well play this game, and 10 hours later I was left with the stupidest smile on my face. To avoid spoilers, I'll just say that the ending of this game is very great albeit generic. Definitely recommend it. (yes I realize I'm writing this review in 2013, I'm a little behind DUH) Expand

1. Borrows so much but pays back so little. Seems to learn nothing from games half a decade old. Fun for a weekend. [Sept 2010, p.54]
  2. A confused mess of promising but inconsistent mechanics. Hilarious, maddening, stupid and occasionally fun. [Sept 2010, p.79]
  3. A nice working mix of puzzles and action, with great rhythm and a varied formula. By focusing on the core themes of the first person shooter experience, Singularity is an excellent a quite surprising game.