SkyDrift PC

7.7

1. Jun 22, 2016
    12/31/2011: SkyDrift reminds me strongly of racing games of yore. It rings of everything from Slipstream 5000 to the air combat segments of Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier. It delivers tight controls, fast action, beautiful environments and some of the coolest planes I've seen since Crimson Skies. A physics-light combat racing game with plenty of speed, stunts and destruction, SkyDrift12/31/2011: SkyDrift reminds me strongly of racing games of yore. It rings of everything from Slipstream 5000 to the air combat segments of Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier. It delivers tight controls, fast action, beautiful environments and some of the coolest planes I've seen since Crimson Skies. A physics-light combat racing game with plenty of speed, stunts and destruction, SkyDrift would have been right at home on the old home consoles. It should come as no surprise then that I often hear it compared to Plane Crazy, a Playstation game. I've not played it, but if SkyDrift is anything like it, then its of an air racing pedigree and faithful to its roots. A worthy purchase. Expand
  2. Jul 4, 2014
    This is a beautiful game graphically, and the gameplay is a very refreshing change from all the cart racers that flood the market. The steering is very precise, and allows for a new dimension to the game that makes the game quite fun. The gameplay is intense, and every mistake you make is because of your own inability, not the game. When you get good at it, the game is fun, intense andThis is a beautiful game graphically, and the gameplay is a very refreshing change from all the cart racers that flood the market. The steering is very precise, and allows for a new dimension to the game that makes the game quite fun. The gameplay is intense, and every mistake you make is because of your own inability, not the game. When you get good at it, the game is fun, intense and beautiful. The tracks are varied and good, and the DLC adds very fun, new stuff to the game. Highly recommended. Expand
  3. Apr 5, 2014
    Initially it feels a lot like diddy kong racing but there is no pacing for the power ups so at times it can turn into a cluster mess. Also, there does not seem to be much online multiplayer going on right now.
  4. Oct 28, 2013
    Much better than I expected. This is an aerial racer that you can pick up and play but is hard to master.

The keyboard controls are OK, but it'd clearly respond better to a control pad as the edge turns and the requirement for quick changes in momentum are a challenge for even the most experienced PC gamer. Visually, it's very good. It's not going for a photo-realistic flight racer

Visually, it's very good. It's not going for a photo-realistic flight racer look; instead, it's gone for bright colours and jarring environments.

What stops the score being higher is that it's not exactly jam-packed with content. Don't go in expecting to be playing this title for 20-30 hours, but you will come back to it time and time again for the odd 30 minute burst of solid racing action.

Currently priced at £6.99 on Steam, I'd say that's close to being on the money for what you get here. A good, solid addition to any gamers racing library.
  5. Oct 2, 2013
    SkyDrift is a fun aerial arcade racing game. As other reviews have pointed out, it using a mario kart style power-up system that you can use to fight your way through the race. There is also a pure race mode where there are no weapon and you simply race through the level using boost rings to briefly increase your speed. The final mode is a "survivor" mode where every 30 seconds or so theSkyDrift is a fun aerial arcade racing game. As other reviews have pointed out, it using a mario kart style power-up system that you can use to fight your way through the race. There is also a pure race mode where there are no weapon and you simply race through the level using boost rings to briefly increase your speed. The final mode is a "survivor" mode where every 30 seconds or so the person in last place is removed from the game until there is a long victor. After finishing the singleplayer campaign i was ready to give this game a 7/10 but then I tried multiplayer. The multiplayer matchmaking system is one of the worst I've ever seen. There are no private matches, so if you want to play only with a friend, you'll have to hope and pray that no randoms join your game. If one does join your game, there is no way for you to kick them and there is no chat system so you can't ask them to leave either. Also, once everyone has clicked "ready" you still have to wait in the lobby for a 60 second countdown to finish before the game starts. Why this was implemented is beyond me. Putting the terrible multiplayer system aside, Skydrift is still a good and enjoyable game. For $9.99 it is a fun game that is worth checking out, especially if you're a racing fan or are looking for a new flight game. Oh, and a gamepad is basically a must-have if you want to play this game. Expand
  6. Sep 30, 2013
    Got this in a Humble Bundle for almost nothing and was shocked to find it the best of the bundle. Intense action, beautiful to look at, very much Mario Cart (Or F-Zero) in the sky (as most have noted). You will want an X-Box style controller to play for sure (go ahead, just drop $20 and get one), and it's hard to predict whether there will ever be enough players to make Multiplayer aGot this in a Humble Bundle for almost nothing and was shocked to find it the best of the bundle. Intense action, beautiful to look at, very much Mario Cart (Or F-Zero) in the sky (as most have noted). You will want an X-Box style controller to play for sure (go ahead, just drop $20 and get one), and it's hard to predict whether there will ever be enough players to make Multiplayer a real option. That said, the single player campaign is a lot of fun. Definitely a game you'll tell your friends about. Expand
  7. Aug 16, 2013
    This is the most fun I've had in years. This game has an amazing single player aspect, as well as a sound, entertaining multiplayer part. The controls are difficult to master at first, but when they come together how you like them, it's an amazing experience.
  8. Nov 29, 2012
    Skydrift was quite fun for a few hours. The arcade flying feel is quite nice and everything works alright. I also found the game to be playable on keyboard which was quite nice. Sadly it gets quite repetitive pretty fast. There isn't a whole lot of game modes, maps or power ups and the singleplayer gets quite samey pretty fast. There is also some annoying things like that the game willSkydrift was quite fun for a few hours. The arcade flying feel is quite nice and everything works alright. I also found the game to be playable on keyboard which was quite nice. Sadly it gets quite repetitive pretty fast. There isn't a whole lot of game modes, maps or power ups and the singleplayer gets quite samey pretty fast. There is also some annoying things like that the game will force you back to the right path if you go where you aren't supposed to, which feel a bit odd in a flying game.. The fact that the multiplayer is quite dead doesn't help either. I had a couple of hours fun with Skydrift and i would recommend the game if you like arcade air races and if you find Skydrift for a good price. Expand
  9. Nov 22, 2012
    Skydrift is one of those classic games that are just plain addictive. Combining elements of arcade flight simulators and racing games like "Hydro Thunder" and "Rush", Skydrift is just one of those games that you play to just have fun.

From the powerups to the insanely fun "Dog-fight-racing", Skydrift is a must-buy for people who enjoyed cheesy but fun racing games like "Mario Cart" or "Hydro Thunder".

One minor complaint if the lack of diversity in powerups, but aside from the lack of insanely outrageous powerups, this game is awesomely awesome.
  10. Aug 30, 2012
    Great game with solid gameplay and nice graphics. It's a pity no one plays it in multiplayer, because these kind of powerup racers are best played online. My only complaint is the level design: you have to learn the levels. So you are flying with planes but you are still forced to fly in a "tube" If you fly off far away, the game redirects you but often into a rock wall.
  11. Aug 10, 2012
    I have really enjoyed the game, helps to relax. I've bought it for PC, and I have to admit that it would be much better if I could use a Joystick to control it, playing with the arrow keys might be stressfull for those who are not used to that. Still, compared to it's price, it is a very good buy.
  12. Apr 6, 2012
    I bought this game on Steam and in my opinion it is absolutely worths it's price. I found it quite pleasant and enjoyable, it can be excellent choice for recreation. An XBox360 controller is highly recommended.
  13. Mar 12, 2012
    The game is definitely a steal for it's price, the game itself is very fun with the aspects of power-ups and the graphics are pretty good as well, I recommend this to any airplane fans or plain racing fans.
  14. Jan 7, 2012
    Skydrift is a fun airplane racer that, to me, feels a lot like Trackmania in the air with the added ability to shoot down your opponents (who, unfortunately, are more than happy to shoot YOU down). It isn't perfect, though. The contols are the most important part of a racing game and Skydrift just doesn't step up to the plate for PC users. Console developers who want to enter the PC marketSkydrift is a fun airplane racer that, to me, feels a lot like Trackmania in the air with the added ability to shoot down your opponents (who, unfortunately, are more than happy to shoot YOU down). It isn't perfect, though. The contols are the most important part of a racing game and Skydrift just doesn't step up to the plate for PC users. Console developers who want to enter the PC market have to come to terms with the fact that the standard controls on a PC are the keyboard and t he mouse. The folks at Digital Reality don't seem to have a clue what a mouse does for a living and Skydrift won't let you use it... not even to navigate the menus!!! This is sad because this is the type of game that begs to be used with a mouse. They keyboard itself does work, but the control is too jerky and exaggerated. Skydrift supports my Logitech Driving Force steering wheel, to a limited extent, and it works a lot better than the keyboard, but the default settings aren't tight enough. With the keyboard, if you frown at the keys, you do a 360 degree flip. With the steering wheel, you turn the wheel all the way to one side and you can barely manage the easy curves. With a Logitech Rumble Gamepad (an XBox-type controller, for those who don't know it), everything is calibrated correctly. It's pretty evident that this game was designed around a gamepad and little if any thought was given to other input devices. But, aside from the mediocre controls, the game is nice enough and reasonably priced, so I give it a rating that no half-done console port would normally deserve. Expand
  15. Dec 26, 2011
    Amazingly fun and unique racing game. Air tracks and very unique and detailed. I love the arcade style gameplay. I haven't had this much fun with a racing game since Jet Moto, Super Mario Kart and SSX Tricky. For less than $10, it is well worth it.
  16. Dec 22, 2011
    Are you people really serious? Or am I just being too critical? I gave this title 2 minutes of getting "controls" via keyboard, and an X-box 360 control pad credentials. And sorry to say...I wasted $4.99 in U.S. currency! No wonder it was on sale with Steam. I won't bother anyone else with the minute details, but if I can't "control" a program? It's not worth my time or effort. BottomAre you people really serious? Or am I just being too critical? I gave this title 2 minutes of getting "controls" via keyboard, and an X-box 360 control pad credentials. And sorry to say...I wasted $4.99 in U.S. currency! No wonder it was on sale with Steam. I won't bother anyone else with the minute details, but if I can't "control" a program? It's not worth my time or effort. Bottom line......T E R R I B L E....I'll stick with arcade and real simulators.... Expand
  17. Dec 10, 2011
    I always prefered rpg's or fps than racing games. To be perfectly honest, I always get tired of such games pretty quick. But Skydrift is not ordinary racing game. Skydrift is everything i need to feel entertained. Fast paced, very intense and totally mind-blowing. Forget about cars, planes are much cooler! .. Forget about fair-play - if you cant overtake someone, fire up your rockets orI always prefered rpg's or fps than racing games. To be perfectly honest, I always get tired of such games pretty quick. But Skydrift is not ordinary racing game. Skydrift is everything i need to feel entertained. Fast paced, very intense and totally mind-blowing. Forget about cars, planes are much cooler! .. Forget about fair-play - if you cant overtake someone, fire up your rockets or leave mines on your opponents way;) But that's not the most interesting part - flying your plane across the stages, accelerating to absurd speeds and doing crazy stunts makes you feel really good. Controls are great, but without an xbox controller, there's no way you can push your plane to its limits. If you own one, get ready for intense action! Im totally amazed about the idea to use two analog sticks. Left one is responsible for turning/shifting your plane, right one turns your plane into knife position. Believe me, you'll quickly become the master of flying through tight spots and finding shortcuts. Stages are well designed, but sometimes not so clear as you would think. There are some places you can't go - there are some places that seems like obvious shorter ways but game wouldnt allow you to fly there. It's annoying at first, but after you memorize the stages... problem dissapears:) Unfortunatly there's only 6 race tracks and 3 game modes. It's not much. To be honest it is too less to be content. Oh well, at least there's eight cool looking planes to choose from .. and three more if you're willing to pay additional 1,50E. What else can i say...? Buy the game, it's totally amazing plane-racing experience ! Buy it and help to establish multiplayer community, because there's so few people playing online... It's sad, because this game is even more fun online. Oh, well, maybe after some Steam sale... Expand
  18. Nov 24, 2011
    May be this is good game for console but for PC this is **** Disgusting sound, graphic, without any story. Just finished this game and deleted.
    One more moment! You will need a Xbox 360 Controller, play on the keyboard sick.
  19. Nov 23, 2011
    wow, bought this randomly and it amazed me. a mix of mario kart style powerups, and hydro thunder / jet moto racing. a LOT of fun, really intense races. my only complaint so far is that not enough people own the game yet, there's no forum for it on steam to spread the word. it has deathmatch, racing, this game is so full of potential, already a DLC pack on the way. let's hope thewow, bought this randomly and it amazed me. a mix of mario kart style powerups, and hydro thunder / jet moto racing. a LOT of fun, really intense races. my only complaint so far is that not enough people own the game yet, there's no forum for it on steam to spread the word. it has deathmatch, racing, this game is so full of potential, already a DLC pack on the way. let's hope the company promotes it.

two thumbs up if you love flight / racing
  20. Nov 23, 2011

two thumbs up if you love flight / racing

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Mar 8, 2012
    Racing arcade game brings fun and good playability – the biggest drawback is the absent of a local multiplayer – this kind of game is crying for it. [Feb 2012]
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Mar 1, 2012
    An amazing game with air races that can be suggested even to gamers that are not crazy for the genre- really difficult to find something to whine about in this fun, addictive game. [February 2012]
  3. Jan 6, 2012
    Digital Reality was able to develop a pretty valuable game, however, due to some imperfections, it can't be considered a must for his genre but only a good game unable to shine of his own.