Sonic Adventure 2 PC

8.2

1. Jan 19, 2013
    My intial score is actually 6.7 or something but anyways. The gameplay is great and unique, actually but the annoying fact is that every sonic game on the PC, you NEED gamepad. The balance of characters was pretty ish since there is too much consquective Tails and Knuckles gameplay and Sonic is usually kept for last since it i the best. No big improvement here other than the textures andMy intial score is actually 6.7 or something but anyways. The gameplay is great and unique, actually but the annoying fact is that every sonic game on the PC, you NEED gamepad. The balance of characters was pretty ish since there is too much consquective Tails and Knuckles gameplay and Sonic is usually kept for last since it i the best. No big improvement here other than the textures and all. Multiplayer is only good with a Gamepad too. Chao Garden rules as well! Oh, and the camera stinks :/ Expand
  2. Dec 11, 2012
    I'm actually giving this game a 6.5 out of 10, but Metacritic does not allow decimals. So, my opinion on this game? Well I was a little disappointed really. There a good stages (the Sonic and Shadow stages) the average stages (Tails and Eggman) and the bad stages (Knuckles and Rouge). So looking at the game that way and seeing that the majority of it is either bad or average, I can't rateI'm actually giving this game a 6.5 out of 10, but Metacritic does not allow decimals. So, my opinion on this game? Well I was a little disappointed really. There a good stages (the Sonic and Shadow stages) the average stages (Tails and Eggman) and the bad stages (Knuckles and Rouge). So looking at the game that way and seeing that the majority of it is either bad or average, I can't rate it that highly. That said, it can feel sometimes rewarding when playing the Sonic or Shadow stages, it's almost like the bad levels are just there to make the good levels feel amazing! Anyway, it's worth a look at, it's not a complete failure, it's just average. Expand
  3. Jul 8, 2013
    I loved this game when I played it on the Gamecube, so when it came to Steam finally, I was pretty ecstatic. Upon playing it, I realized that this was a pretty good port, except one problem. I found that this game, at least at the time I played it, only natively supported the 360 pad. This is a problem for me, since I have no 360 pad to speak of. So I had to rough it out with aI loved this game when I played it on the Gamecube, so when it came to Steam finally, I was pretty ecstatic. Upon playing it, I realized that this was a pretty good port, except one problem. I found that this game, at least at the time I played it, only natively supported the 360 pad. This is a problem for me, since I have no 360 pad to speak of. So I had to rough it out with a keyboard and/or my key mapped 3rd party pad, both of which felt very clumsy.

To those whom have never played this game, you play as Sonic/Shadow stages, where its your standard Sonic affair of rushing through the level and killing as many enemies in combos to get a higher rank. The Tails/Eggman stages involve you on a small scale mech again killing things in combos to rack up points. The Knuckles/Rouge stages involve you finding 3 shards of the Master Emerald most of the time, in a treasure hunter sort of stage where you can ask for hints. Finding them without hints and quickly racks up the points there. The Sonic/Shadow stages are the most fun in my opinion.

Aside from the poor controller pad support, this is a very good port, the game itself is a 9/10 borderlining a 10, but the aforementioned poor controller support puts this port at a 7. If you have a Gamecube/Wii/Dreamcast lying around, I'd suggest finding those versions of the game.
  4. Aug 5, 2016
    SHORT VERSION: It's by no means terrible, but the game really hasn't aged well.

Whenever I talk about Sonic with friends, this game is usually brought up. Most of them have fond memories of playing Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on the GameCube. I never grew up with a GameCube, so I was never able to experience it for myself. So I decided to finally give it a try with the Steam release.
    SHORT VERSION: It's by no means terrible, but the game really hasn't aged well.

GAME-PLAY: Levels are made up of three game modes: high speed platforming with Sonic or Shadow, treasure hunting with Knuckles or Rouge, and controlling a mech while shooting everything in sight with Tails and Dr. Eggman.

Sonic/Shadow: These parts are pretty fun when you have a good flow as you're speeding through the level, performing homing attacks on enemies, etc. However, I'd sometimes run in to cheap deaths which can get pretty obnoxious, but it was still overall fun.

Knuckles/Rouge: These would have to be the ABSOLUTE WORST parts of the game! You're supposed to look for three items in often extremely large areas making them very tedious to find. To make matters worse, the locations are completely random and the radar only tracks one item at a time.

Tails/Eggman: From what I hear, a lot of people hate these parts either a little less or just as much as much as the Knuckles/Rouge stages. But surprisingly, they're my favorite parts of the game. It's just you in a mech shooting everything in sight as you platform your way through the level, simple but fun. Apparently people have trouble platforming, but I was playing it just fine. The camera angles and the beeping noise when locking on to enemies can get annoying at first, but I got used to it.

STORY: From what I hear, I a lot of people really like this story. But I think everyone's starting to notice how cheesy and flawed it is. It's actually pretty fun to roast on it by noticing all the plot holes and how inconsistent it can be with what to focus on. This is all topped off by the hilarious voice acting that's absolutely terrible. But it gets better! Since the cut-scenes were made to follow the Japanese voices, the English voices often seem like they're speaking over or interrupting other characters. There's a scene where a space shuttle is about to crash and you can't tell if everyone's supposed to be freaking out on purpose or just unintentionally interrupting each other!

I'm not ranting on it like I did with my admittedly large LBX review for two reasons. One: I already knew what I was getting myself in to thanks to a review I saw. Two: I feel SA2 is so hilariously bad in terms of story and voice acting that it's more then deserving of someone to buy it just to make fun of it (it also helps that it's just $10, even lower during a sale).

FINAL THOUGHTS: Unfortunately, I don't think the game is as good as others claim. It can still be really fun to play, but I feel it's pretty dated in terms of some game-play decisions like cheap deaths and the dreadful Knuckles/Rouge stages. I have a feeling I would've loved this game if I grew up with it like everyone else, but it just feels dated by my modern standards.

If you're willing to get this game out of curiosity, just keep in mind that you may get frustrated at the parts that feel dated. If you want to make fun of the story, I'd say it's worth the ten dollars, but you should also keep the dated parts of the gameplay in mind.
  5. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's pretty fun, but I wouldn't call it "amazing." There are fun parts. The speed sections are super cool and fun. The mech sections can be fun (but aren't always.) The treasure sections are a nightmare! So yeah, it's got good parts, but isn't great. Expand

There are no critic reviews yet.