Space Rangers HD: A War Apart PC

8.7

1. Spx
    Feb 19, 2016
    Wonderful game, still updated form developers after many years. I wish they could make a sequel, I would surely buy it! Form me one of the best pc games to date!!!
  2. Sep 14, 2015
    Underrated as ... Really. This game is awesome and the developers still update it. Really? Yes.
    This game have re-playable ? Yes.
    I can have fun for playing it ? Yes.
    10/10 Best game ever.
  3. Mar 30, 2015
    Absolute masterpiece, brilliant mixture of so many different genres. Easily (or should I say at least) more than 100hours of gameplay. Loved the original and while this isn't too different, it's better suited for fullhd screens.
  4. Mar 28, 2015
    And once again..reviewers average score 6.8 (meh); user average score 8.6 (very nice!)
    I find this game extremely enjoyable, poured many hours in it, with its simple graphics and addictive gameplay. Exploration, rpg, space battles, all for what? Ten bucks? Awesome.
    Thank you Russia.
  5. Jan 4, 2015
    Asinine meta-critic score. Most people playing this game will not have played the original version of Space Rangers 2, which was released in November of 2004 (and afaik, wasn't available in English until 2006). There was also an expansion pack in 2009, called Space Rangers 2: Reboot. Unsure about most folks, but I'd just skim over an expansion pack for a game I don't own, regardless ofAsinine meta-critic score. Most people playing this game will not have played the original version of Space Rangers 2, which was released in November of 2004 (and afaik, wasn't available in English until 2006). There was also an expansion pack in 2009, called Space Rangers 2: Reboot. Unsure about most folks, but I'd just skim over an expansion pack for a game I don't own, regardless of how good the original game may or may not be.

I played the original Space Rangers 2 some 8 years ago, so I couldn't give some detailed list of new features, other than the higher resolution. The main thing that comes to mind is that the pirates were boosted in strength and fleshed out a bit (including a quest line involving them). I suspect there are several new text quests & planetary mission maps as well.

As for the game itself, one of the best I've ever played. It *does* have a somewhat steep learning curve. Great sandbox style space game that can hold its own vs classics such as Elite, Freespace, Freelancer.

In regard to CriticoDubioso's negative review;

1) Fast aging of technology can be changed via the advanced options menu.
    2) If you find the high repair bills too difficult to handle, then you can lower them via the advanced options menu. I like how difficult the game is.
    3) I have not had any issue with a lack of income 'mid-to-late game', so unsure what to say about that.
    4) The high cost of fighting enemies depends mostly on your tech skill, which enemies you're fighting, whether or not you're using missiles, and... the settings you used when you started the game. With default settings, I have no problem generating positive income fighting Dominators (as long as research isn't complete on all three factions). I can agree somewhat in regard to fighting pirates. Possibly a bounty or something could be added for each pirate killed?
    5) The travel speed can be adjusted in settings.
  6. Jan 2, 2015
    A really great RPG experience. The universe is huge and the new additions of the HD version make the game a lot more interesting. The game is however, nothing for graphics junkies: Spacebound action looks okay, nothing special, its perfectly playable, but dont expect much. There are also a lot of text-based quests. They are really a great and at times hilarious read if you give them aA really great RPG experience. The universe is huge and the new additions of the HD version make the game a lot more interesting. The game is however, nothing for graphics junkies: Spacebound action looks okay, nothing special, its perfectly playable, but dont expect much. There are also a lot of text-based quests. They are really a great and at times hilarious read if you give them a chance, often they are also really tricky and demanding.
    The real strength of this game lies in its incredible strategic depth. You will have a great fun upgrading your equipment, searching for new weapons etc. If you are not a fan of this, you should reconsider, as you will spend a lot of time doing exactly that. The game also has a unique sense of humour, that however doesnt degrade the atmosphere at all (for example a quest where you have to deliver an old MS Windows Version to some planet). Combat is turn-based and in my opinion incredibly well done, as it allows for a lot of tactical possibilities, while being fast paced and satisfying aswell.
    Also the world is extremely open, you can choose from five races, you can be a pirate, a merchant, a fighter, whatever you want. You can visit any planet you want, you can look for secret equipment on unpopulated planets with research probes, you can explore black holes, which throw you into an oldschool arcade shooting style world, IMO great fun.
    You can defeat the different dominator races in a multitude of different ways, you can support the governments in many different ways. You can be a lone wolf, or you gather the strongest rangers you can find under your command. Theres just so many ways to play this game.
    The only two drawbacks that I can think of: The pirates are somewhat overpowered if left on normal pirate aggression. I recommend tuning them down a little in the advanced difficulty settings (thats right, the game allows you to adjust the difficulty of pretty much anything in it seperately). They are more like some super-well financed, organized cyber-rampage crew, rather than a bunch of outlaws.
    The second problem is that you now have to repair dominator weapons with nodes. This is on one hand really annoying, on the other hand somehow fair, because they are really, really strong.
    The game has a steep, but fair learning curve and a lot of replayability value. I highly recommend it.
  7. Dec 8, 2014
    Lol Critics of this game are dumb. 64 meta score wth is this?? Please dont give FPS lover review of Turn based strategy mix with trading rpg and rts in game missions. Oh i missed text rpg in game quests and arcade missions.
  8. Aug 24, 2014
    Extraordinarily underrated game. Deceptively simple. Scales amazingly. There is always another component to buy, trade, mission to take, enemy appearing, or planet to explore. It's stable, the humor is great, the in-game internet is awesome, the planetary battles and text missions are dynamic. It's a little masterpiece that has kept me locked in for hundreds of hours. Whoever isExtraordinarily underrated game. Deceptively simple. Scales amazingly. There is always another component to buy, trade, mission to take, enemy appearing, or planet to explore. It's stable, the humor is great, the in-game internet is awesome, the planetary battles and text missions are dynamic. It's a little masterpiece that has kept me locked in for hundreds of hours. Whoever is responsible for this is a genius. It's totally unique. Expand
  9. Aug 12, 2014
    One of my favourite games ever. If you dont mind about modern graphics and want a game with 'soul' - this game is for you. But if you are fan of modern games with super graphics and also dont like to read - this game is defiantly not for you
  10. Jul 10, 2014
    Игра детства, отличная квестовая система, сюжет. Космическая тематика очень близка, вспоминается гений фантастики Гарри Гаррисон. Очень радует разнообразие, игре есть чем удивить даже после 2 или 3 прохождения. 10 из 10 Всем советую.Игра детства, отличная квестовая система, сюжет. Космическая тематика очень близка, вспоминается гений фантастики Гарри Гаррисон. Очень радует разнообразие, игре есть чем удивить даже после 2 или 3 прохождения. 10 из 10 Всем советую.
  11. Dec 19, 2013
    Welcome to Space Rangers, the most expansive 2D space sandbox-RPG you have ever encountered. Space Rangers is a unique game that attempts to merge multiple genres into a single, satisfying experience. Players get served with a set of (mini-) games throughout the game, such as old school top-down strategy to conquer and defend planets, old school text-based RPG's to simulate special eventsWelcome to Space Rangers, the most expansive 2D space sandbox-RPG you have ever encountered. Space Rangers is a unique game that attempts to merge multiple genres into a single, satisfying experience. Players get served with a set of (mini-) games throughout the game, such as old school top-down strategy to conquer and defend planets, old school text-based RPG's to simulate special events in your life (such as going to prison, or carrying out special assignments) and an arcade-sim racer in 2D.

The bulk of the gameplay on offer is however a 2D-space sim in which you fly your craft through the galaxy, having fun in the sandbox and by carrying out missions for different species. These activities and the mini-games themselves offer rewards that can be used to upgrade and customize your ship. Hundreds of stations and planets with their own questlines, upgrades and special ship hulls can be explored, while each species is also a faction in the galaxy and can turn friend or foe depending on your actions.

Even though the engine is incredibly outdated and the 'HD' in its title means nothing more than a resolution upgrade for the most part, this game has such a wealth of content, such a massive amount of things to do and such a well constructed sandbox that it simply cannot be missed. Think 2D-Freespace, throw in a decent amount of RPG elements and customization, add a narrative that you can shape as you see fit, then add a healthy dose of arcade and RTS to the mix. Each of the mini-games stand out on their own as feature-complete, although somewhat unbalanced, and will guarantee dozens of hours of gameplay on their own.

Space Rangers has no trouble taking up most, if not all of your free time for a couple hundred hours to come you have been warned!
  12. Dec 14, 2013
    still my favorite game of all times! still my favorite game of all times! still my favorite game of all times! still my favorite game of all times! gg
  13. qds
    Dec 12, 2013
    HD version of best russian game ever. Perfect sandbox gameplay grants you hours of pleasure. I hope that a great sense of humor Russian developers are well transmitted to the English version.
  14. Oct 24, 2013
    Good old game with new cool features, ships, chatacters and in HD quality! New story is great and intresting. Easter eggs is so cool and cute somwhere.
  15. Oct 22, 2013
    If you have never played space rangers, you will be blown away by the freedom of choice in a dynamic, living galaxy. Traders trade, pirats pirate, military invades star systems, dominators pop up all over the place to take star systems back. Then there are text based planetary quests, a simple planet-based RTS and a black hole-based arcade game. All to improve your ship and gain power. TheIf you have never played space rangers, you will be blown away by the freedom of choice in a dynamic, living galaxy. Traders trade, pirats pirate, military invades star systems, dominators pop up all over the place to take star systems back. Then there are text based planetary quests, a simple planet-based RTS and a black hole-based arcade game. All to improve your ship and gain power. The RPG elements are really good. One of the greatest games of all times, I played it 4 times all the way through. The only reason why I give it an 8 while I gave original a 10 is that I really want to see Space Rangers 3, and not more addons to the 2. Expand
  16. Oct 21, 2013
    Really cool sandbox gameplay. Fantastic! Couldn't take off from that game so many hours. Difficulty could be tuned up to very challenging level. 10 from 10.

1. Dec 9, 2013
    The glamorized sequel of the sandbox space simulation known as Space Rangers is expanded by expansion packs' content, along with higher resolution. Even though the game delivers literally hundreds of hours of entertainment, many of the game's elements are like from the stone age, including all the negatives from the original title. Fans of the hardcore experiences will enjoy this the same way as the previous installments.
  2. Nov 7, 2013
    Space Rangers is something that you either love or hate. Overall it feels a bit outdated so you'd have to be a real fan if you want to look beyond the old graphics and music.
  3. Oct 25, 2013
    More pirates, more text adventures and more upgrades: Space Rangers HD benefits from additional content. While I don’t see anything that would justify the “HD” label this remake is worth a look.