Spec Ops: The Line PC

8.2

1. Oct 27, 2016
    Not the most refined 3rd person shooter, but it works. Have to mention the insane difficulty spikes that occur, on FUBAR difficulty setting game is just impossible to play when youre being thrown at with hordes of enemies in set piece moments, its pretty much means insta death. When it comes to using cover game depending on cover type wont allow you to stay long in it since some of it getsNot the most refined 3rd person shooter, but it works. Have to mention the insane difficulty spikes that occur, on FUBAR difficulty setting game is just impossible to play when youre being thrown at with hordes of enemies in set piece moments, its pretty much means insta death. When it comes to using cover game depending on cover type wont allow you to stay long in it since some of it gets destroyed or enemy rushes you, so you cant be lazy and do all the work from behind cover. Your AI squad mates are competent enough to stay in cover and take out enemies when under orders, but can struggle at times. Jaeger makes really good use of the UE3 and has made a very good looking and running game on the PC.

Where this game really pulls ahead of other military shooters is its mature and pretty unique to the genre story. Deeper you go the more mind bending it gets with plot twists and turns. Saying more about it would spoil it.

Easily can reccomend this for people who love a good story in a shooter over fancy gameplay mechanics.
  2. Oct 16, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spec Ops: The Line is a meta-critic (wow that was not a pun) of modern military shooters. It begins exactly like a generic war on terror era third person shooter with americans as heroes rescuing. Then after 1 hour things get a little weird (and much more interesting than any game of this style), as the game narrative, in a terrific turn, starts to critize both senseless war and senseless killing modern video games.

The icing on the cake is the Apocalypse Now-inspired storyline and the superb Dubai dystopian art style. The characters, the voice acting, the narrative are all among the smartest and the best in recent times, making Spec Ops: The Line (a reboot of an PS1 tactical game) even with its 4h and modest gameplay, an obligation to anyone who believes videogames can be important pieces of culture, critcizing not only society but its own medium
  3. Oct 2, 2016
    If you want to feel smart without the effort, and also blab about how underated this vastly overated turd is, then by all means play this game. But I can sum it up for you pretty quickly, killing is bad and will hurt the poor little soldiers feelings.
  4. Sep 6, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is a fun shooter. The story was bordering on excuse plot as far as I'm concerned. That 'deep' moment that all the reviewers like to talk about was absolutely pathetic, and for me - it was absolutely hilarious.

I should feel bad that I'm forced to use white phosphorous on what later turns out to be civilians? Oh please. It was as dramatic as that moment in medal of honor where a squaddie who's been with you the entire game kicks open a door and gets dramatically shot in slow motion about fifty dozen times. Your character screams out his name while you simultaneously can't stop laughing and desperately try to remember why you're supposed to care about him in the first place, when you probably forgot his name five seconds after you were introduced in the first few levels.

Cheap drama worth nothing other than cheap laughs. The reveal was also dumb, but that's no surprise since the main character was as well.

Giving it a six because I got exactly what I expected when I paid for this game - an average shooter, definitely worth a playthrough.
  5. Aug 27, 2016
    Interesting story, but the insanity part seems a bit far stretched. Anyway, makes you think a lot. Very emerging presentation. Gameplay is good enough for a military shooter and feels very plausible, as far as that can go in a game. It's a bit short, < 10 hours on normal / hard. A few nice visuals, but a lot of sand.
  6. Jul 20, 2016
    Spec Ops: The Line starts out with what feels like any other shooter. Like a scene right out of Aladdin. Except the magic carpet is a helicopter, the singing is machine gun fire, and the whole new world is shooting other helicopters. What really threw me off is that your squad mates are actually interesting. They face some moral dilemmas while you're doing your typical video game shooterSpec Ops: The Line starts out with what feels like any other shooter. Like a scene right out of Aladdin. Except the magic carpet is a helicopter, the singing is machine gun fire, and the whole new world is shooting other helicopters. What really threw me off is that your squad mates are actually interesting. They face some moral dilemmas while you're doing your typical video game shooter thing but what really threw me off is that the comic relief actually made me chuckle a few times. Expand
  7. Jul 16, 2016
    Spec Ops does a lot right, the atmosphere and location are brilliant, the story is interesting, the characters are voiced well and have real character and it's backed by a solid soundtrack, the only real issue is the gameplay, and obviously that's a pretty big issue. Aiming feels weird out of the box, which means you have to edit config files to correct it and even then it's average atSpec Ops does a lot right, the atmosphere and location are brilliant, the story is interesting, the characters are voiced well and have real character and it's backed by a solid soundtrack, the only real issue is the gameplay, and obviously that's a pretty big issue. Aiming feels weird out of the box, which means you have to edit config files to correct it and even then it's average at best, the enemy AI is honestly awful, they run out into fire like lemmings constantly and half of the time just stand around while you kill them and moving in and out of cover feels clunky. The gunplay just isn't satisfying as a result.

Overall though it's an enjoyable experience and I do recommend it but only when it's on sale as it's also very short at around 4 hours.
  8. May 29, 2016
    Неожиданно всё хорошо. Подача сюжета, боёвка, атмосфера. Очень способствует погружению внутриигровое обсуждение сложных выборов игрока, музыка, постоянная пустыня. Давно в шутеры не играл, а тут такой подарочек. Не ожидал, что в шутере можно так в сюжет и атмосферу погрузиться.Неожиданно всё хорошо. Подача сюжета, боёвка, атмосфера. Очень способствует погружению внутриигровое обсуждение сложных выборов игрока, музыка, постоянная пустыня. Давно в шутеры не играл, а тут такой подарочек. Не ожидал, что в шутере можно так в сюжет и атмосферу погрузиться.
  9. Mar 12, 2016
    that stipid f**ng armor brutes nearly impossible, shot them right in the face and they dont care. who the hell comes up with that "great" idea. i bet there is no sequel because of this stupid sh**.
  10. Jan 31, 2016
    More than anything, Spec Ops shows the power of a good narrative and good voice acting. But beyond that, and some pretty scenery, there's not much there. The gunplay and mechanics feel like a dumbed down version of Rainbow Six Vegas. And worst of all, the developers seem to have overlooked the most basic, fundamental part of a shooter, the mouse. The mouse control is ridiculously sensitiveMore than anything, Spec Ops shows the power of a good narrative and good voice acting. But beyond that, and some pretty scenery, there's not much there. The gunplay and mechanics feel like a dumbed down version of Rainbow Six Vegas. And worst of all, the developers seem to have overlooked the most basic, fundamental part of a shooter, the mouse. The mouse control is ridiculously sensitive and yet somehow also unresponsive. This wouldn't be a problem except that you need to change the settings before starting your game or they won't take effect, and if you alter anything in game, it goes back to being hypersensitive.

I just don't get the obsession with this game. Fundamentally broken mechanics will ruin any shooter.
  11. Jan 18, 2016
    The story I got wasn't at all what I expected. This game deserves an 8 for no other reason than trying their hardest to give a great single player campaign experience.... something far too rare in FPS games. My only regret is waiting so long to play it, but a Steam sale finally convinced me.
  12. Dec 25, 2015
    Spec Ops: The Line has a surprisingly confusing, deep and emotional story, but that alone will not be enough to save the game from its generic gameplay and uninspiring multiplayer.
  13. Dec 6, 2015
    amazing story
    great shooter
    tremendous gameplay
    cinematic experience
    yager please develop more games
    eagerly waiting for dreadnought
  14. Dec 1, 2015
    awesome gameplay and story but to short . .
  15. Nov 12, 2015
    omg ok when i started this game i thought the gameplay is ass how could it be any good but without trying to give to much away gameplay almost doesn't matter for this title and when it does you are rewarded heavily for thinking outside the box and ignoring what your told to do the story of this game is awesome and anyone who complains this game sucked because C.O.D. plays or looks betteromg ok when i started this game i thought the gameplay is ass how could it be any good but without trying to give to much away gameplay almost doesn't matter for this title and when it does you are rewarded heavily for thinking outside the box and ignoring what your told to do the story of this game is awesome and anyone who complains this game sucked because C.O.D. plays or looks better just doesn't get the point and should never have played it in the first place. One of my all time favorite games, blew me out of the water I don't have enough good to say about it 20 out of 10 Expand
  16. Nov 11, 2015
    I think this is the best game I've ever played. It's third person shooter with perfect story that isn't only in back of the game. After you finish this game your thinking about shooters will change. You can play it just once and still you'll remember this game for long years. Hell you should go and buy this game right now.
  17. Nov 10, 2015
    Spec ops the line has great story.sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
  18. Nov 9, 2015
    A game you will love or hate, absolutely. As a military shooter, it's a generic but functional game with a useless tacked-on multiplayer mode that the developers have openly disowned. As a story-based singleplayer experience, it's notable for taking what starts as the most generic story imaginable and turning it into a meta-narrative that questions the the nature of video games while theA game you will love or hate, absolutely. As a military shooter, it's a generic but functional game with a useless tacked-on multiplayer mode that the developers have openly disowned. As a story-based singleplayer experience, it's notable for taking what starts as the most generic story imaginable and turning it into a meta-narrative that questions the the nature of video games while the protagonist questions his own heroism. While not perfect in its storytelling, it tries something that flies in the face of current trends and is essentially a giant middle-finger to Call of Duty and its imitators. Either you'll be on board with the idea and enjoy its ambiguous storyline, or you'll find it a pretentious attempt at an art game built on the back of a mediocre shooter. If you're curious, it's worth the time and money simply because it exists. Expand
  19. Nov 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Best shooter - EVER!

The real, true story. The best story that has ever been in the same genre, but unfortunately not valued at its true worth by some stupid players and no less stupid journalists - pseudo-experts. Yes in Spec Ops The Line is no pile falling helicopters, explosions, super doggies and other garbage. Yes in The Line is not a good multiplayer, such as in Battlefield, but it is not needed. The main advantage of Spec Ops The Line - strong story, such powerful singleplayer never be in **** like CoD or in the same Battlefield.

In The Line shows the wrong side of the war - a horrible, bloody, сrazy even for trained to kill soldiers. The main character of The Line - Martin Walker, commander of Delta Force is not some fairytale type as Terminator Captain Price that can kill thousands of people, and then smoke a cigar - Walker - a living person who has feelings and understanding what he was doing. His team - First Lieutenant Adams and Sergeant Lugo also lively, believable characters. To tell the whole story does not make sense, in the Spec Ops The Line you must be played, and, if after played in singleplayer and will say that this is nonsense, accept the fact that you just a very stupid man.

Endings of the game. Only 3 out of 4 endings are real. It:

№1: Walker commits suicide.

Walker morally broken after of all of the experiences and can not forgive himself for what he had done.

№3: Walker, entered into a gunfight with a rescue squad and dies.

Walker continues a split personality, and he is not conscious of his actions - for him he's still on the battlefield, surrounded by enemies.

№4: Walker, kills the entire rescue squad and remains in Dubai.

There is a complete brain fog of Walker - for him the battlefield becoming home. He ceases to perceive murder as something special.

Ending №2 ( impossible ): Walker surrendered a rescue group that takes away his home.

In real life, after such stress and sufferings, and obviously brain fog, a return to normal life is impossible. There is a line beyond which people like them no turning back. For Walker, this LINE occurred.

This wonderful game like Spec Ops The Line, could to estimate only people who think and are able and properly analyze. And judging by the sales of the game, such people are very few. The majority of the two-legged members of the genus of human, love to be the heroes in every kind of **** as the CoD. "To save the world" pinching cherished key "Press X To Save Whole World", who can not think, because - nothing to think, and so choosing the games that create an illusion of sense of its grandeur. And when the game shows to the player: "Look dude - what you've done. It's not cool. The conscience does not torment?", The clever person will understand that the war - it's not fun, it blood, death and madness. A foolish man - would deny everything, while farting in anger, accusing the devs that they made "not cool" game. Unfortunately stupid gamers more than smart players and publishers focused on the herd. Therefore Take2 and personally Mr Feder and Zelnick, decided to kill a series of Spec Ops. Very silly gentlemen publishers, in addition to entertainment such as GTA, needs and produce and serious projects.

In conclusion I would like to thank the team of Yager Development for the excellent and smart game. It would be nice, over time, if you company will be able to publish the games themselves and are independent of idiotic publishers. Success! And more games like Spec Ops The Line.
  20. Oct 30, 2015
    Let's just say that I can't think of a better example of why you shouldn't give any importance to critic's review. This is one of the smoothest single player campaign of the last generation, with an engaging story and characters.
  21. Sep 10, 2015
    Finishing the campaign in Spec Ops: The Line, was something that I wanted to do because the game always made me want to come back for more, to find out what happens next in the story. However, as you progress, the plot becomes darker and darker. Set backs and utter tragedies experienced by your character increase in both frequency and gravity as the story unwinds.

I kept thinking that

I kept thinking that there would be some sort of victory at the conclusion of the campaign -- alas, no. Almost everyone is dead, and your character is torn to **** mentally. The game does a good job of demonstrating a couple of eternal truths: (1) war is utterly horrible, and (2) "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Despite some of the depressing plot elements, I did very much enjoy playing this game. 9/10.
  22. Sep 10, 2015
    This game has an outstanding story! Yes, some of it could be a little quirky....but it is still one of the best fps stories I've ever encountered. Also, the game has excellent character progression. The gun gameplay, is simple cover and shoot... Nothing special. The level design, visuals, and AI are mediocre to downright awful. Conclusion: get it for the story, but don't buy it for full…
  23. Sep 5, 2015
    I had heard about this game and tried not to have it spoiled for me. Once I finally sat down and started playing it I couldn't stop. The story drove me and the action kept it fun and fast paced. The story is much deeper than a lot of military shooters and it really left me thinking, something few games do once they are completed.
  24. HMG
    Jul 8, 2015
    When I look back at my experience with Spec ops: The Line it's feels like looking back at times I had with a very close friend. That may seem quite silly to you but just bare with me. The thing that set's Spec ops apart from other games is it's story, it's so immersive that I actually finished the game in one go.

But let's talk about the bad's first so I can sing it's praise at the end.

But let's talk about the bad's first so I can sing it's praise at the end. The main thing the game get's criticised for is it's gameplay and it's number of cutscenes. The gameplay can feel it bit clumsy and rough around the edges. It's definetly not your polished third person gears of war experience that we've all come to expect from these type of games.
    Then second the cutscenes, some people would argue the their are just to much of them, I'm not one of them. I feel like their just their to guide us through the story and never ones felt annoyed by them, but that's opinion I guess.

Now the things I did like. First the graphics are okay, but together with some very well designed physics effects you never ones doubt that your in a desert. Then the experience, you do feel like you're fighting a war, and throughout the game you will grow to resent yourself as much or even more then your enemies. Combat is fun but with some occasionally enemies just rushing your position or running straight through the open, but non of that could drag me out of the fantastic experience I had with the game.
    And then thing the ties it all together the story. the story is more compelling and immersive then any other that I've encountered before. It drags you through the game just unable to stop playing until you reach it's climax that will **** with your mind in multiple ways.

So the main question, should you buy this game? Absolutely!!! Unless your one of those guys who only crave multiplayer and graphics then their is nothing for you here. But if you're like me, on who demands but story, atmosphere and gameplay, this is the game that will come closer then any other in recent years.

For me this game gets a 8 out of 10, it has it's problems and flaws but non of them where able to stop me from enjoying myself with the game.
    But then again who am I? Go out and form an opinion of yourself :)
  25. Jul 7, 2015
    Do yourself a favor, play this game on the easiest setting possible. Enjoy the great story, the great dialogues both from your mates and the enemy soldiers. Enjoy the desperate and sorrow desert swallowing soldiers whole like meat. Enjoy the fun moments, when your not concerned about war.
    Because when it comes to gameplay it's depressingly lacking. The run/cover system is really clunky and unoptimized. But you can get over everything except the AI, your teammates are constantly in suicide mode. They will go under enemy fire without cover and surrounded by enemies dying like flies for no reason, they won't be able to cover your back, EVER, not even from a single enemy.
    Just play it safe, in the retarded setting, just enjoy it as a movie where you sometimes have to mash buttons to proceed.
  26. Jun 23, 2015
    Excellent game... the story line is amazing. this game probably has the story than any other FPS game. and the graphics is good too.. I think only people who wont enjoy this game are 8-10 years old kids who play COD or BF all day...
  27. Jun 21, 2015
    It is one of the best shooters with exceptional story and a superb feeling .
  28. May 17, 2015
    Один из лучших сюжетов в игровой индустрии. Подражание "Апокалипсис Сегодня" и "Сердце Тьмы", отличная концовка, отличный сеттинг (Дубаи после катастрофы), музыкальная составляющая без лишних слов прекрасна.
  29. May 16, 2015
    Very interesting game. Not your ordinary FPS game, surely no evil vs good kinda game. More like hard decisions to make "ish" kinda FPS. But it's good, oh it's good. Don't believe on those negative reviews. They are from teenagers who believed they would be playing Medal of Honor or such. This is a FPS for adults. No easy choice. Step aside, kiddos.
  30. Mar 23, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Perhaps the best modern military shooter ever made. The character development is very well done, the story is excellent and it is one of the more atmospheric games I have played. The interesting part about the game is that it starts of kinda generic then slowly as you descend deeper into the game it becomes something completely different and memorable. Get this game. Expand
  31. Mar 20, 2015
    spec ops the line. is without a doubt. the MOST CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED GEM IN GAMING. you would never understand until you play. it is on 6$ dollars on steam. go get it

Pros the graphics are amazing. the visuals are awesome the story for now is great. replay value 100% amazing hit detection awesome textures. one of the best endings. and twist i've ever seen amazing sound effects

Pros
    the graphics are amazing. the visuals are awesome
    the story for now is great.
    replay value 100%
    amazing hit detection
    awesome textures.
    one of the best endings. and twist i've ever seen
    amazing sound effects and sound design
    great voice acting
    awesome characters
    ONE OF THE BEST ATMOSPHERES, EVER !

cons:
    the ai is kinda generic. sometimes is fine, mostly the shotgun AI is terrible. but most of them are fine..
    level design is kinda linear.
    bad mouse sensitivity

overall. don't buy it at 30$, it's now on 6 bucks on steam GET IT, BUY IT, REVIEW IT !
  32. Mar 12, 2015
    After finishing this game, I must say... The characters in this, will DEFINITELY have some PTSD. Extremely fun video game, plenty of action, the only negative I can say about it.. The game goes on continuously without stopping, so there is no customization, upgrading weapons, or anything. This game aside from that, is awesome. I enjoyed it alot more than call of duty.

This game is kind

This game is kind of short as well. If it's $19.99 and below, I say pick it up! If it costs anymore than that, wait for it to get a little cheaper.. Doesn't seem like it'd have much replay value, unless it has online play
  33. Dec 31, 2014
    The greatest game i wish i never played. The gameplay, graphics and mechanics are all well put together but nothing special. Where this game truly shines is in the story. A story which emotionally destroyed me for a day. 10/10
  34. Dec 17, 2014
    I am truly speechless, Amazing Game... Great Story, good gameplay and Mind-blowing ending...
    I don't know why some people voted 0/10, unless they come from Call Of Duty there is no reason for such a thing I think this is one of the best games that come out in the last 10 years
  35. Dec 9, 2014
    I definitly recommend this game, if you're into something meaningful and not *just* pure entertainment. In short:

The good stuff - *Great story, make you face the true horrors of war *Amazingly done soundtrack *Nice graphics *Finally a shooter with some depth *Moral choices throughout the game *This game has a really good chance of invoking many sorts of feeling in you The bad

The good stuff -
    *Great story, make you face the true horrors of war
    *Amazingly done soundtrack
    *Nice graphics
    *Finally a shooter with some depth
    *Moral choices throughout the game
    *This game has a really good chance of invoking many sorts of feeling in you

The bad stuff -
    *Gameplay is (a bit) too usual, does get (a little) repetitive
    *Minor and not-too-frequent technical buggies (and a loading screen which takes its time)
    *By any means, this is no light experience, so if you're looking for pure fun without much around, this might be somewhat heavy for you.

I got really curious about this game after reading other reviews.
    When I started playing I thought at first that it's just another regular shooter and didn't get the fuss, but as I advanced I found out I was partly wrong.
    In terms of gameplay, this is mostly just a regular shooter, but in terms of story and atmosphere, I've never seen anything like that!
    Unlike many other shooters and war-games in general, this game doesn't try to make war look like 'fun' or anything heroic. For the first time (as far as I know) a video game tries to deliver the true meaning of military conflicts, as much as a video game can.
    You get to feel the impact on the people and how devastating it can be, for both the civillians and the soldiers themselves.

If you're looking for simple 'fun' with shooting and killing, this game isn't necessarily good for you, as it explores the darker sides of war and has quite a few moment which could make you feel sadness, anger, and such things.. But not fun.

Unfortunately the gameplay doesn't bring anything new and innovative to the genre, and I even found it boring at times. You get to play with one main character which can, at times, command other two soldiers, so there's a little tactical thinking through it all, but mostly it's just a regular shooter.
    The story completely compensates for it, though, and throughout the game you'll have to make a few difficult moral choices.
    At first I was a little disappointed when I found out they have no actual effect on the story, but I realized that they're there for the psychological impact, and that's what the game is based on.

So, in short, gameplay is mehh and it does get a little repetitive - but for the sake of story it's worth it

But that's not all of course.
    The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, as it's masterfully integrated into the game.
    The original soundtack for the game is mostly made up of rockish-style tracks - which is very refreshing for the genre and for video game music in general, and also some licensed soundtrack (couple of tracks from different artists such as Jimi Hendrix and Bjork) which greatly contributes to the game and as I said, the music is involved in the game amazingly.
    If you're of the type who pays attention to the music in the background, you're going to enjoy this one!

The graphics didn't get much praise generally, but I liked them. There were vast environments in the game and they were all designed beautifully in my opinion, some looked darker and some were colorful and alive (graphically), and I really enjoyed just wandering around and exploring (at least when you're not being shot at)

Technically the game was almost perfect, it worked without many issues. Happened to me twice in the game that after switching guns I couldn't pick up my former gun.. which was really annoying, and also there were sudden moments where the textures quality got really ugly for some reasons, and after dying or reloading it got fine.
    Also, the loading screens were an annoying issue, as it took the game about 10 seconds to reload a checkpoint, which isn't that bad but on tough parts when I died over and over again it got on my nerves.

That's it though, and eventually, these things are fully forgiven, as this game gave me a strong and interesting experience, and left a very good impression on me.
    Seems to me like the devs really worked with their heart and soul on this one, and I hope they'd work on more things like that.
  36. Dec 2, 2014
    The story is awesome, and well structured. It is probably the main attraction of the game. The gameplay is alright, there is not really anything new or ground breaking about it. Just plain and simple cover and shoot (it is however very satisfying to get a headshot and see your enemies' heads explode in slow motion.) The graphics as well as the level design is ok, but nothing breath taking.The story is awesome, and well structured. It is probably the main attraction of the game. The gameplay is alright, there is not really anything new or ground breaking about it. Just plain and simple cover and shoot (it is however very satisfying to get a headshot and see your enemies' heads explode in slow motion.) The graphics as well as the level design is ok, but nothing breath taking. It does not take a long time to finish the game, it can be done in 5-6 hours on the hardest difficulty available at your first playthrough. Overall a good game, which is easy to enjoy and a good experience. I can recommend it for anyone interested in 3rd person shooters and a good story. Expand
  37. Nov 25, 2014
    The story is excellent, however it is let down by the complete crap that is the game mechanics and enemies. The amount of times i was left banging my head against a wall because the run and cover system didn't work properly! Every single mission is the same, you kill wave after endless wave of enemies, before something interesting happens in a cut scene to progress the story. The story isThe story is excellent, however it is let down by the complete crap that is the game mechanics and enemies. The amount of times i was left banging my head against a wall because the run and cover system didn't work properly! Every single mission is the same, you kill wave after endless wave of enemies, before something interesting happens in a cut scene to progress the story. The story is so good too! It gets a 6/10 because of the story, if there was even a shred of better gameplay the score would be much higher. Expand
  38. Nov 14, 2014
    El juego es aburrido, injugable, en varias ocasiones quise desinstalarlo, pero normalmente si empiezo un juego lo termino. Algunos dicen que solo por el final merece la pena las 8-10 horas de tortura, que hagan una película si quieren, pero como juego es basura.

Si le doy un 3 es porque en el apartado gráfico tiene buenas texturas y la arena está muy conseguida (que menos en un juego de arena), además hay algo de interactividad con el terreno, pero cuando el juego quiere, no cuando tu lo decidas.

Por el lado contrario está la IA, insufrible, tus aliados se ponen en tu línea de tiro o te sacan de cobertura, y de vez en cuando se les ocurre ponerse en medio de campo abierto a que los fusilen.
    Los comandos de pelotón que tan bonitos quedan son simplemente un adorno, que no funciona, o que para funcionar hace que te maten a ti o a tus compañeros. Los silenciadores son un elemento estético del arma, ya que solo cuando el juego quiere (2 o 3 enemigos en todo el juego) te deja seguir un camino más sigiloso, que rápidamente se acaba.

En definitiva, el juego es un mata-mata lineal de recreativa al más puro estilo Time Crysis.
  39. Oct 9, 2014
    A game every gamer should play. Average gameplay with amazing story and characters.

After it was over I sat in front of my PC and just repeated "the horror"
  40. Sep 27, 2014
    after completing spec ops the line i have to say this is the best of games i've ever played easily one the grayest story's in video game history you play martin walker a rescue team man with 3 others you start by killing people and more people however then you play this game i can't talk about this game but its a third person shooter the story is amazing without spoilers its not easy toafter completing spec ops the line i have to say this is the best of games i've ever played easily one the grayest story's in video game history you play martin walker a rescue team man with 3 others you start by killing people and more people however then you play this game i can't talk about this game but its a third person shooter the story is amazing without spoilers its not easy to explain much this game is just amazing Expand
  41. Sep 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't see the reason why this game didn't get a rate higher than 80, for me at least is one of the most enjoyable games that I ever played. There's a lot of enemies, the control (over the PC, not console) is pretty good, and the graphics are not the top of the line, but are really good. The choices within the game are fun, and sometimes you don't even realize that you did a choice before your teammates say something like "wow, why did you kill him?".

It's really worthy playing.
  42. Sep 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The end of this game blowed up my mind, the story -- the most bright example, that you should't justify yourself. Very good story, very good setting, but not so good gameplay. But there is not any rivals at military shooter. That's why 10/10. Expand
  43. Sep 18, 2014
    The goodness about Spec ops is that its got excellent graphics and visuals, the dialogue is good , there is a good variety of weapons although some are more rare to find and the story for this game is just one of a kind and doesn't need to be changed.
    The bad parts though are that the controls are just clunky and sometimes very frustrating when the game is set at to a higher difficulty and somehow restrict the feeling of freedom when battling enemies. What this game needs is probably Uncharted's mechanics to make it more free and fluid and because it really needs Uncharted's mechanic for throwing away live enemy grenades. One more disadvantage is explosive items such as gas tanks, most are badly placed around areas and are not properly highlighted thus you can't see them properly from a distance and its a shame because they could have been a huge advantage.
    My verdict is this game has an excellent story but controls need work.
  44. Sep 8, 2014
    Spec Ops The Line has a history fantastic.the history of this game and more impressive than the TLOUS.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  45. Sep 5, 2014
    This game sucks, but the story does not. It's full of glitches and bugs that destroy some of the enjoyment, for example I have died countless times on FUBAR difficulty level (which is equivalent to very hard in other games), for no reason at all because the character won’t move up or down the stairs or some magical-non-exciting-invisible-wall stops a perfect headshot, or there is a stickyThis game sucks, but the story does not. It's full of glitches and bugs that destroy some of the enjoyment, for example I have died countless times on FUBAR difficulty level (which is equivalent to very hard in other games), for no reason at all because the character won’t move up or down the stairs or some magical-non-exciting-invisible-wall stops a perfect headshot, or there is a sticky corner so your character stops while you try to maneuver your way to safety. There are also few poor level design decisions made so it depends on luck and not skill do you make it or not during some cut-scene-boss-fight-circle-jerk-parade or not. However even if the controls do suck and are unresponsive, playability is zero from time to time and enemies can take 3 to 8 headshots sometimes before they die. There are however some very good and solid things done right in this game. For example if you play the game with normal or low difficulty level, you will not die so easily because you can take more damage and it gives you more time to get somewhere you need to go and that’s the reason you don’t notice the glitches so easily. Then you can actually enjoy from good storytelling and few jokes on the way that made me laugh. The atmosphere is really good and the sand dunes feel real and graphics really do bring the place alive (unless there is a glitch). You can sometimes feel like you were really a part of that world, which is very rare and welcome thing in today’s games.

In all honesty I really tried to like this game and enjoy it more, but I just can’t believe that this game is so bad (FUBAR) when you decide to play it on harder difficulty level like FUBAR, it will get you really mad because the dumb luck factor in many levels that have nothing to do with how good or poorly you are doing at that time.

Also keep in mind that the game feels like a console port, there are controller issues, drawing distance issues, texture bugs appear if you look far away enemy with sniper scope, invisible walls, character won’t respond and once during one level I found a soldier that wouldn’t die even when he was missing one arm and a leg and was holding invisible gun in his hand. White phosphorus, hand grenades, sticky grenades, machine gun and 9mm pistol emptied in the head from short distance did nothing to him… Well I guess he’s the Superman’s lost cousin or something. The glitch list goes on and on, but the absolutely worst thing is the broken checkpoint system. Be ready to rage after you die and spawn to checkpoint and then realize that the primary gun you held has changed to something completely different and then you also find out that the ammo boxes near you might be empty, so no extra ammo for that random weapon that you have now. Also keep in mind that if you kill horde of soldiers the bodies do not disappear, the guns and ammo do. So collect them fast if you want to have some bullets to use on next assault.

If you want to play a good game, do not buy this. But if you do want to enjoy from very good storytelling, do buy this. I think the story would have worked better as a movie or a book rather than a game but that’s just my opinion of the matter. However I can’t deny the fact that the story element in this game is done so well that I have to give the game 7 out of 10 because the story here saves so much more than the gameplay manages to destroy. To keep things in perspective, a casual player might even enjoy the gameplay because he won’t be able to notice the same problems that I noticed while unlocking every possible achievement on Steam version of this game. In the end I managed to spend over 32 hours on single player mode so I’m pretty sure I noticed many things that others would have missed by playing the game only once on normal difficulty setting. In future the developers might want to test more of the gameplay on higher difficulty levels before releasing the game, because some of us do like a really challenging game that does function accordingly. If the gameplay was better and these glitches had been polished out I would have given 10 out of 10 easily, but in this state 7 out of 10 is the most I can give and I’m being lenient over here.
  46. Sep 1, 2014
    First off the early story of the game is quite interesting, though they never explain what exactly happened with Dubai. Then it goes preachy. This isn't the subtle "war is bad" moral quandary one might expect with a few moral choices, every chance it gets, it beats over the head with the message. Even during loading screens where it asks "do you feel like a hero yet?" or "how manyFirst off the early story of the game is quite interesting, though they never explain what exactly happened with Dubai. Then it goes preachy. This isn't the subtle "war is bad" moral quandary one might expect with a few moral choices, every chance it gets, it beats over the head with the message. Even during loading screens where it asks "do you feel like a hero yet?" or "how many Americans have you killed today?" There are some upsides to the game, plenty of weapons to choose from to kill enemies with (hint: those would be Americans), a great soundtrack featuring some cool classic rock songs. One firefight that was cool was in a tower in Dubai (most of them are actually) and they had nowhere to run, nowhere to hide by Martha And The Vandellas, all while hunting down enemy forces. Now to the truly awful. The mechanics. It seems the designers were sick during that section of development and just phoned it in. I honestly want to know what genius decided to map the sprint, cover and action to the same button. The AI is basic, and that goes for both sides. The collision detection is a joke, I managed to get shot through cover almost constantly. The game had potential, I've played bad games simply for the story. If a story drags me in then I can suffer through mechanics that were designed by a team of four year olds. What I can't suffer is when I pay for a game and the dev team gets preachy and bashes me over the head with the same message for every level for 8+ levels. Eventually I stopped playing because of that simple fact. I would recommend avoiding the game and finding a game worth your money. I cannot fathom who the target market is for this game, unless there's a demographic that likes being told that they're evil and disturbed individuals every time they load the game. Honestly, avoid this one folks, even if you see it in the bargain bin. It's just not worth it. Expand
  47. Aug 25, 2014
    6. Finishes right where it should without becoming a drag

1. Very buggy and lots of technical issues
    2. The combat is mediocre at best
  48. Aug 18, 2014
    Spec Ops: The line begins with a breath of fresh air, although its apparent that the boring lackluster game play and technological issue are evident after the first battle cry. Yes it does effect the game. Especially the cover system. Just shocking at times and will lead you to frustration. This does take you away from the interesting story, which is the driving force of the game. AlthoughSpec Ops: The line begins with a breath of fresh air, although its apparent that the boring lackluster game play and technological issue are evident after the first battle cry. Yes it does effect the game. Especially the cover system. Just shocking at times and will lead you to frustration. This does take you away from the interesting story, which is the driving force of the game. Although its you'r average first person shooter at times the atmosphere is on point. Character and dialogue are extremely satisfying and the redeeming conclusion will make the frustrating times some what fade. All in all the game becomes tiresome and more like a chore, however if you find the game on sale go for it! Expand
  49. Aug 12, 2014
    Best game ever, very addicting. my favorite mission is the fist one of chapter six. you should get it bout it on sale for 5.99, and there are no bugs.
  50. Aug 7, 2014
    almost as amazing as The Last Of Us

Gameplay:
    Gunfire: takes a long while getting used to
    Covor: averadge at best

Graphics: fine

overall it is one of the best games ive ever played. it proudly stands at the top of the War games along side Modern Warfare 2
  51. Aug 4, 2014
    I really see all the great in the game,the gameplay,the story the weapons everything is amazing!
    Highly recommended and I want to say that this story can relly have shocking ending if you play it right!
  52. Aug 3, 2014
    This game hit me like a ton of bricks. It should be called the anti-Call of Duty. You question the morality of what you're doing and the consequences of your actions. This isn't some laughable morality system like in Bio-Shock, this is a game that shocks and forces you to contemplate what you're doing.
    The gameplay is ok in a Gears of War kind of way and graphics are very console, but the story, Jesus, the story. I'm still thinking about it. Christ, the ending has got to be one of the best I've seen.

I can't give the story away but you can see touches of Apocalypse Now every now and then. There is no ham-fisted message about war being bad. There is no sentimental manipulation. It's all presented as matter of fact and you'll feel it in your stomach.

Recomended as a rare experience in gaming. There's no jingoism of flag waving here.
    No other game shaken me like this and the ending, man, the ending... I need a hug.
  53. Jul 29, 2014
    This is one of the best story driven games I have ever played. It makes Call of Duty and Battlefield look as deep as Sunday morning Marmaduke cartoon writing compared to All quite on the Western Front. This is the story of Martin Walker and his descent into the reality of war when he and his Delta team go into Dubai.

This is a story told in a cover based modern shooter game, not a

This is a story told in a cover based modern shooter game, not a modern shooter game with a story to pass the time when the internet is out and you can't get in a quick match.

Buy this game. Play this game. Read all quite on the Western front.
  54. Jul 22, 2014
    A 9/10 because of the gameplay, which is pretty standard. But don't play it because of the gameplay, play it for the story, which is downright amazing, I won't spoil anything, but just take me by my word. If you play it on normal difficulty, it should only take you about 5-6 hours to beat, but you'll probably play it again just to understand the story better.
  55. Jul 17, 2014
    Firstly, ignore the title. This is not the 'Merica Eff Yeah game that you might imagine it to be. It is not a simplistic machismo party. This is the war shooter for people who hate war shooters... me, really.

This is exactly the kind of game that many PC fundamentalists hate for being "consolised". It's built for the XBox gamepad, and I strongly recommend you play it that way. The graphics are nice enough, but they're not refined for PC at all; with a GTX770 4GB, I'm still seeing stripy shadows across characters' skin.

It's a shame to crucify this game over technical points though. I'm scoring it so highly because it's a rare war shooter that has a truly interesting story. Of course, every army game out there tries to inject sophistication into its story, usually by adding betrayal. This game does something different that genuinely stands up as more than just "a good story for a game". It begins with the "Heart of Darkness" stylings of Apocalypse Now, and then runs off with them in a different direction. If you can overlook the fact that you're palpably playing a console game via your PC, give it a try.
  56. Jul 14, 2014
    Masterpiece.

You don't believe me?

Try it.

...and then come back here to talk...

The story is something you find once in a hundred of today games.

The gameplay feels nice and it maybe take some time to settle in but when it does you'll be poppin heads.

Visually - great. Graphics can stay shoulder to shoulder with the games from 2014 and style and colors are just swesome.
  57. Jul 13, 2014
    I played this game for a few hours and I have no motivation to continue. I have heard that the story is fantastic and really brings up the horrid nature of war and survival, but so far all it did was wimp out of a chance of really making the player feel uncomfortable about what there doing by having all the enemies be terrible evil people rather than just folks trying to survive. When youI played this game for a few hours and I have no motivation to continue. I have heard that the story is fantastic and really brings up the horrid nature of war and survival, but so far all it did was wimp out of a chance of really making the player feel uncomfortable about what there doing by having all the enemies be terrible evil people rather than just folks trying to survive. When you take that away all you have is the gameplay, and this is the most painfully generic third person shooter I have ever played, I mean it, It brings absolutely nothing to the table. I was disappointed. The good parts of it are that the visuals are really cool and there are some amazingly creative and awe striking levels that really show the power of nature and really try and convey the desperation of the dead city, voice acting and characters are enjoyable too. But the GAME part of the game is so painfully generic that Its no fun to play. I quit when the main character fell of a **** building for no reason and survived, I normally would not focus on this s much if the game was not trying to be realistic and gritty. Expand
  58. Jul 10, 2014
    Story:
    Captain Walker, Lieutenant Adams, and Staff Sergeant Lugo, a 3-man delta squad, are sent to traverse a storm wall through to the outskirts of a mostly-buried Dubai on foot. Their goal: To find info on whether or not a missing infantry unit is still alive. The events that follow will soon take a much more darker tone than what I expected. I love this game's narrative for going beyond the average military shooter cliches and going for a more realistic and darker tone. There were moments where I was disgusted by what I saw, and that's a good thing. The acting and dialogue here is A+ worthy and it's interesting and engaging to see our 3-man squad adapt and evolve as they go through the events of the game. Sgt. Walker is a complex character because of how his mental health throughout the game interferes with his desire to complete his mission, and all of it comes to a close in what are a set of interesting endings to choose from, and none of them were predictable. All of them are interesting in their own way. The story here is a prime example of video games being capable of telling engrossing and fantastic stories at a level greater than or equal to movies and books. 10/10

Gameplay:
    Unfortunately, the gameplay can't live up to the near perfect story since the gameplay follows 3rd-person shooter cliches. I enjoyed the shooting, cover system, and vehicle sections of the game, but that's about it. The squad A.I. isn't really smart, and both Adams and Lugo would often struggle with hitting 1 enemy, even when I'd mark him for them. I also didn't like how scarce ammo was in this game for some guns, especially since it contradicts the game. And to make things worse, you can only carry 2 guns at a time. You would often run out of ammo in the middle of a firefight, and since the game has a habit of throwing 20+ enemies at you, you'll often have to resort to picking up their weapons and restocking from their dead bodies. I also think that on normal mode, you would die with too little shots required. One second you're fine, the next second your screen's grey. The level design is also pretty straightforward with no additional passageways to take in missions. As a whole, including deaths, I completed the game in about 5 hours, which is more on the short side. It's clear that this is one game where story is what drives the player to complete it, not gameplay. 7/10

Graphics:
    The graphics still look great on PC at max settings. Despite being in a desert, the game uses a variety of colors and mission settings to keep the game looking fresh. The bloom is great here (even if it gets overused in some sequences), the textures still look good to this day, and the character models look gritty and fit the game's dark tone well. The lip-syncing here is also perfect as even in gameplay, the character's lips move in-sync to their dialogue. My only gripe here is that some of the cut-scenes don't look all that great. But visually, the game still looks stunning. 8/10

Sound:
    The score here is filled with some great Rock tracks that play while in combat. The orchestral score also does a fine job here at building up emotion while playing. The gun sounds are good, and overall, the sound design here is great. 9/10

Multiplayer:
    The multiplayer is dead here on PC, and I'm willing to bet it's also dead on consoles. So don't buy this game for its multiplayer. And from what I've heard, the games's multiplayer sucks.

Verdict:
    Spec Ops: The Line features probably one of the best stories I've ever seen from not only military shooters, but in my whole gaming career. If only the gameplay could live up to the story though. The visuals and sound are both great, and the multiplayer is dead. I'll say for its $30 cost, it's well worth the purchase if you don't mind having to only play the single player portion.

Rating: 9/10
  59. Jul 10, 2014
    Finally I get to play this controversial game (because I want to read the book "killing is harmless" solely written on this game).

It is a short game, I finished it (at least the majority of the narrative) in 5 hours. But the gameplay, to be honest, is mediocre if not horrible. Plus Multiplayer is dead. Graphics, let's say, mediocre again because it is really not impressive. The whole weight of the game goes to the narrative. It is really a anti-FPS shooter game. I even doubt if they actually made the other aspects of the game deliberately awful so as the player can focus on the "shock" of the narrative. Thus it is most fun to play this game with the expectation that this is just another shooter like GoW etc.

The choices (and how impotent they are) the player are asked to make reminded me of Mass Effect series particularly 3 and its ending. The psychological manipulation and guilt-driven portrayal of war all aims at making the player uncomfortable (possibly contemplating). The hero is the villain. It is not the usual "there is no clear cut between hero and villain" rehtorics, but the entire dichotomy is destroyed. There is no justice in a war and it does not matter which side you choose. When the soldier is bodily on the battlefield, the gore and brutality does permanent damage to him. It affects the protagonist to its core while the he strives to maintain his legitimacy through construction of himself as the hero regardless of what he had done to many lives.

Now I am going to read that whole book, if I ever got the time.
  60. Jul 7, 2014
    This is a game that once you've finished it the first time, you will not want to play again because you won't feel good about the killing anymore. So zero replay value due to the emotional effect it has on you. But, that first time through, damn what an experience. It's like a really good, horrifying war movie. If it was a movie you could watch it over and over because you are not the oneThis is a game that once you've finished it the first time, you will not want to play again because you won't feel good about the killing anymore. So zero replay value due to the emotional effect it has on you. But, that first time through, damn what an experience. It's like a really good, horrifying war movie. If it was a movie you could watch it over and over because you are not the one pulling the trigger. However in the game it is you and the game forces you to make your character do things you don't want him to do. You want to tell your character, "don't do this". Expand
  61. Jun 25, 2014
    Although the game play is nothing special and could be considered very bad, that is not what this game is made for. This has to have one of the best, if not, the best story line in a long time. It shows what war is like.

It does not make you feel good about your choices, it shows how horrific war is, and what killing people is actually like. Not your typical stories like Call of Duty, where you kill terrorists or the "bad guys" for America.

For a game that makes you feel like human garbage, it's amazing. Again though, don't buy it if you want multiplayer.
  62. Jun 20, 2014
    -Mass Murder Refrain
    -Post Modern art
    -Deconstruction -Remains in disarray -Failed to live on in the next generation of consoles... -Character Over Plot ---Modernity once again rules over last generation, with it seeming to seep into this generation. Probably the only true postmodern art piece to come out of gaming since Metal Gear Solid 2; And like that game, it failed to reach
    -Mass Murder Refrain
    -Post Modern art
    -Deconstruction
    -Remains in disarray
    -Failed to live on in the next generation of consoles...
    -Character Over Plot

---Modernity once again rules over last generation, with it seeming to seep into this generation. Probably the only true postmodern art piece to come out of gaming since Metal Gear Solid 2; And like that game, it failed to reach out to it's target audience.
  63. Jun 8, 2014
    This game has the fell of Apocalypse Now when you go into it. similar plot and plot design, it is basically Apocalypse Now in Dubai in a modern day setting without a man how thinks he's a god in it. This game's plot is great, with decent characters. The multiplayer is bland and dull, as is the game's asking price on Steam. $30 for a good game that only lasts for about 5 hours is not worthThis game has the fell of Apocalypse Now when you go into it. similar plot and plot design, it is basically Apocalypse Now in Dubai in a modern day setting without a man how thinks he's a god in it. This game's plot is great, with decent characters. The multiplayer is bland and dull, as is the game's asking price on Steam. $30 for a good game that only lasts for about 5 hours is not worth it to me. Wait like I did until a sale when it's at a reasonable price, then you should defiantly not hesitate in purchasing it. Expand
  64. Jun 2, 2014
    The biggest positive mindphuck I have experienced in all of my years gaming. This game early on does an excellent job of pretending to be just another shooter with the mediocre story then later, immediately grabs you and jumps into hyperspace to give you the darkest, most evil gripping story ever. War is hell--- and no amount of trying to do the right thing will redeem your burned soul.
  65. Jun 1, 2014
    Awesome game long demo everything great (could play on mac) but then the end. I was very disappointed i thought the end will be better. i would give the game 9.5/10 but the end was very bad.
  66. May 15, 2014
    Apocalypse Now on steroids in the desert. Fairly satisfying gun-combat action, with an above average story loosely based on Heart of Darkness. Not much in the gameplay department other than pushing through linear levels and wiping out waves of enemies. If you like your military shooters, have a shot.
  67. May 13, 2014
    Game is awesome. Playing the game, soon or later you are asking yourself: Is it all necessary? IMO One of the best shooter I've ever played. Very good game
  68. May 2, 2014
    People said The Last of Us was THE game of its generation. People also said Bioshock Infinite was THE game of the generation. But the truth is Spec Ops the line is THE game you have to play. It is not perfect, the mechanics serve their purpose and thats it. However when i drop the controller because of what i had done in game, and tears of deep sadness appeared in my eyes i realized justPeople said The Last of Us was THE game of its generation. People also said Bioshock Infinite was THE game of the generation. But the truth is Spec Ops the line is THE game you have to play. It is not perfect, the mechanics serve their purpose and thats it. However when i drop the controller because of what i had done in game, and tears of deep sadness appeared in my eyes i realized just how special this game is. Spec Ops the Line is a game every single gamer should play. 10/10. Expand
  69. Apr 12, 2014
    nice story with ultimate graphics...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  70. Mar 4, 2014
    8.2/10
    + Interesting Story
    + Amazing writing/script + Great Characters and Nice Character Development + Engaging story that makes you feel emotionally involved + You make decisions that affect outcomes + Great Twist at the end + Nice use of environments in play + Different locations throughout Dubai that all are interesting - Some "choices" seem like you actually have no control
    8.2/10
    + Interesting Story
    + Amazing writing/script
    + Great Characters and Nice Character Development
    + Engaging story that makes you feel emotionally involved
    + You make decisions that affect outcomes
    + Great Twist at the end
    + Nice use of environments in play
    + Different locations throughout Dubai that all are interesting

- Some "choices" seem like you actually have no control
    - Nothing new with gameplay (Generic Third Person Shooter Gameplay)
    - Some controls were frustrating (ex. X [Gamepad] was used to get to cover AND to run)

Overall Spec Ops: The Line was an interesting and engaging interactive cinematic experience. Spec Ops had the story of a big budget Hollywood action movie, but also had the familiar third person shooter in it. The story kept me on the edge of my seat and wanting to know what happens next. At some parts Specs Ops was just another grindfest, but then again what shooter today isn't? Spec Ops did not have a huge selection of guns, which did not hurt the game at all. Instead of looking for the coolest weapon, you were looking for weapons to help you clear the level so you could find out what happens next.

In conclusion Spec Ops: The Line is a great game that should not be missed out on due to the new emotional and mental take on war. The game will rank up there with my favorite games that would make me want to play again, to play the many different ending.

P.S. The graphics for this game was pretty okay, nothing fancy, but nothing terrible. I put this at the end of my review as to not get this confused with pluses and minuses. I would NEVER include graphics as a means of judging a game.
  71. Feb 4, 2014
    Пожалуй самый лучший шутер в который я играл. Прошёл игру за 7 часов с 2 подходов.

+ Графика
    + Геймплей
    + СЮЖЕТ!
    + Дубай
    + Нет минусов за который можно зацепится

Советую всем поиграть, не пожалеете
    Ставлю: 10/10
  72. Jan 24, 2014
    Story: 10 (or more)
    Gameplay: 9,5
    Graphics: 9,5.

It's a general FPS gameplay, but the story it is the best that I've seen. Deserves a higher score.
  73. Jan 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Do not play this expecting anything great. Repetitive, tedious gameplay is a series of tightly enclosed shooting arenas strung together by a story that at least tries to be different from your average COD-BF-War-Campaign. That said, inconsistencies in how it is presented gave me a headache. Do my choices matter? Do I actually even have choices? The answer to both of those questions is unfortunately- No. Giving players the illusion of choice is frankly annoying, especially when the character I play is then berated for going through with what the writers forced him to do anyway. The main character/anti-hero seems to be completely incompetent at his job, and his lack of imagination is constantly demonstrated by his rationalizing at his supposed lack of options, which are rigidly enforced as we, the players, sit through as he bumbles his way through massacring what seems to be the majority of Dubai. I really have a hard time understanding why this is a story one would want to tell. There are plenty of situations where people are forced to make terrible choices, and war is an obvious way to highlight that. Unfortunately, the way that is presented here is both incredibly contrived, and frankly a bit silly. You're also left in the dark as to what exactly is happening here. What's going on with all of the sand? Why did the 33rd go crazy? Why is there no backup? Why is there suddenly tons of water at the end when we were told we'd destroyed the last of it in that long truck escape? Maybe I missed some explanation somewhere, but there's a bit too much mystery left here.

tl;dr If you like sand, this is your game.
  74. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was a great experience, the story is great, i am not a hardcore gamer but i can say it is a good game.
    Spoilers: all the 4 endings are good, my first ending was to go home after epilogue, and the next was freedom to do anything. these were awesome.
  75. Dec 26, 2013
    Just finished playing this game. I must say, it is one of the best games I have ever played. Graphics wise, can't complain. I have seen better as well as worse.

The storyline is just, it touching. Having family members that have gone through PTSD, and having played this game after I was done with it gave it the high praise for "hitting home" to the player. With some scenes being really graphic, tied in with the intense firefights, makes this game, in my books, one of the best games of the year.

The cover mechanics are a little wonky, and takes some getting used to but once you have been broken in, they will come second hand to you.

Spec Ops: The Line is a game I would definitely recommend to my friends/family.
  76. Dec 21, 2013
    This game was a pleasant surprise. The story, gameplay, character development, graphics, and decision making are great. Another hit from 2K. Highly recommend.
  77. Dec 11, 2013
    Spec Ops is simultaneously a breath of fresh air into the 3rd person shooter genre and a exposition of what's wrong with the genre. The heavy, mental story is very appropriate and well delivered. There were a few times in the middle that I wasn't sure about what was going on, but once I got to the end, I felt satisfied by the characters and their performance. The gameplay was fairly solid,Spec Ops is simultaneously a breath of fresh air into the 3rd person shooter genre and a exposition of what's wrong with the genre. The heavy, mental story is very appropriate and well delivered. There were a few times in the middle that I wasn't sure about what was going on, but once I got to the end, I felt satisfied by the characters and their performance. The gameplay was fairly solid, although the AI was sometimes outright stupid and the controls weren't perfect. There are plenty of other reviews that can emphasize these points as well. I never played the multiplayer, so I can't comment on that. I would suggest that this game try to include more customization of characters so that the redundant levels are more fun to navigate. As it is, there's really no reason to replay the game at all, considering that the entire story is available on a Wiki. Expand
  78. Dec 6, 2013
    This game shows perfectly all the brutality of war. The action is well designed and the combat parts are excellent. maybe there are too many cinematic but the game is so well developed that the player enjoys every minute of it. Nice game, I personally don't recommended for kids under 16, but for the rest it worth the purchase
  79. Nov 29, 2013
    If you only care about gameplay, this game isn't for you. Otherwise, it's incredible, it probably has the best story I have ever seen in a game, but the gameplay can be quite frustrating to get past, as I said before, if you care about story, you should definately play this game.
    P.S. The multi-player should not be considered a part of the game, it was added by the publishers and is to quote one of the devs: "A cancerous growth"
  80. Nov 29, 2013
    This is a great game that many people I have talked to have loved after playing. Beware that this game has very sad moments and very emotional parts. The game has great graphics that really shows the environment around the player. This the type of game that integrates the third person with run and cover type game. Without cover you are at a disadvantage when in combat. The feature that iThis is a great game that many people I have talked to have loved after playing. Beware that this game has very sad moments and very emotional parts. The game has great graphics that really shows the environment around the player. This the type of game that integrates the third person with run and cover type game. Without cover you are at a disadvantage when in combat. The feature that i love about it is the menu, it changes the further along the game you are. The combat features are well executed.
    There are quite a lot of twists.
    I recommend this to anyone that loves shooter games.

This is AssassinReviews,
    Thanks for reading :D
  81. Nov 18, 2013
    While it's mediocre third person action fest albeit with some gorgeous set pieces with a soundtrack of Alice in Chains. Björk The Black Angels, Black Mountain, Deep Purple, Inner Circle's, Jimi Hendrix, Martha and the Vandellas Mogwai, Nine Inch Nails and Giuseppe Verdi helps a lot to compensate
  82. Nov 15, 2013
    This is not a game you will play to have fun.

This is not a game you will play to feel good.

This is not a game you will play to be a hero.

This is a game you will play to see war as the hell it is

This is a game you will play to see exactly how screwed up modern military games are.

This is a game you will play for the same reason you would play a horror game.
  83. Nov 11, 2013
    10/10 for story,here your actions doesn't always result in saving the world, actually it may end up the other way .Very minimal characters but deep. Game-play is like many other shooters you have played.THE IMPORTANT thing is, don't judge it after first few minutes of game-play. The real proclaimed depth of story begins afterwards, it become darker and darker with progression.Play it for10/10 for story,here your actions doesn't always result in saving the world, actually it may end up the other way .Very minimal characters but deep. Game-play is like many other shooters you have played.THE IMPORTANT thing is, don't judge it after first few minutes of game-play. The real proclaimed depth of story begins afterwards, it become darker and darker with progression.Play it for the story( it questions your conscience many times).Highly recommended. Expand
  84. Nov 2, 2013
    Great graphics with attention to detail (debris, dust, particles, fire, dirt, light), changing appearance of the PCs. Great voice over all voices are spot on, dialogs are very good, soldier chatter and yelling fits the action on the screen. Shooting is very satisfactory. Very interesting plot, grim mood. Awesome music (shooting to the disco music FTW) the music itself makes me want toGreat graphics with attention to detail (debris, dust, particles, fire, dirt, light), changing appearance of the PCs. Great voice over all voices are spot on, dialogs are very good, soldier chatter and yelling fits the action on the screen. Shooting is very satisfactory. Very interesting plot, grim mood. Awesome music (shooting to the disco music FTW) the music itself makes me want to play it again. I don't know where the opinion of a mediocre game comes from Spec Ops should have a place among the best games of this generation, not be pushed aside. I strongly recommend you to play this game if you like TPP shooters and/or games with good plot. Expand
  85. Oct 26, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line takes you to a war zone in Dubai, where you take the place of Captain Martin Walker, who is accompanied by his Delta team: Lieutenant Alphonso Adams and Sargent John Lugo, team that goes to Dubai in order to bring Colonel John Konrad back to the U.S.

During this story, you'll face a lot of difficult decisions, which will put your morals in play, "should I kill a civilian over a colleague from the army?" "Should I take revenge?" and it is all up to you, and your choices will decide how each "level" of the game goes, not significantly, but it'll change depending on your decisions.

If you like to get completely into a masterly crafted storyline, you definitely must play this game.
  86. Oct 20, 2013
    This game... this game...

If you want to know what really happens during a war, play this game. Don't play the latest Call of Duty and think that is what happens during a war, this game shows you exactly what happens... and the consequences of war. As for game play, it's pretty difficult, even on Normal difficulty, you can die in about 5 or 6 shots, especially late-game where the
    This game... this game...

If you want to know what really happens during a war, play this game.

As for game play, it's pretty difficult, even on Normal difficulty, you can die in about 5 or 6 shots, especially late-game where the enemies have extremely powerful weapons.
  87. Oct 10, 2013
    A brilliant story and a visual treat, only to be hampered by linear not very great gallery shooting riddled with clunky mechanics such as cover system and problematic AI. Could be a greater experience if it was slightly more diverse and flexible and smoother overall features. None the less a decent experience.
  88. Oct 8, 2013
    suprb .........best gameplay best graphic best story line .........best third person shooter after long time.......max wepon choice .....and gameplay is some what gears of war..
  89. Oct 5, 2013
    One of the best modern shooters to come out this year, The plot is constantly keeping you guessing and the ending is very mind blowing. I expected this to be a general modern FPS but it completely blew away my expectations. Very well done.
  90. Sep 29, 2013
    Spec Ops: the Line really is something else but it mimics the mainstream mechanics so well that many players mistook it for yet another CoD clone and a below-average one at that gameplay-wise.

My opinion is a little biased because I've never played any Call of Duty, Battlefield, Army of Two, or other war simulators so many rehashed mechanics were quite new to me and I couldn't complain about the graphics either. But the beef of the game is not it's technical side, it's the storyline, the atmosphere, and the narrative.

I can confirm that SO:tL really is quite engaging but often simply not fun, curiously enough. While you explore the beautifully designed environments, the constant slaughter overlaid by a perfectly-fitting yet weirdly presented (via in-game radio broadcasting) soundtrack leaves you with the feeling that something is very off. For a good portion of the game you battle different people but you don't really know who they are. Then you realize that you don't really know why you're fighting them. Everything goes so weird that you don't really know why you do what you do and start wondering if the choices you make are really there or the game just drags you along to prove a point. Even the loading tips start changing slowly but surely from game hints to... something else.

The ending is close to flawless. I was not only surprised but also relieved that there really was a good reason for all the weirdness. SO:tL represents an excellent achievement through the combination of its setting, storyline, voice acting, graphics, mechanics, and atmosphere. It will keep you guessing, taking away the fun from the gameplay while holding you until the end. Or at least that happened to me and I fully appreciated it.

Give this game a shot, it might change your perception of the whole genre more than its technically superior counterparts ever could.
  91. Sep 25, 2013
    THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT. If you want a 3rd person shooter with great gameplay, mechanics, and an online experience play Gears of War. This game is all about the story, while GoW has a great story line, it does not leave you floored and questioning life, mortality, and morality quite like Spec Ops does. if you call yourself a gamer of any genre, this is a MUST; if you're an PvP bro,THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT. If you want a 3rd person shooter with great gameplay, mechanics, and an online experience play Gears of War. This game is all about the story, while GoW has a great story line, it does not leave you floored and questioning life, mortality, and morality quite like Spec Ops does. if you call yourself a gamer of any genre, this is a MUST; if you're an PvP bro, leave it alone. Expand
  92. Sep 19, 2013
    what a great storyline in a game. intersting concept somehow completely unfun but extremely brutal and exciting i hope jager will make a sequel. or something like it. great work.
  93. Sep 16, 2013
    I haven't tried the multiplayer or co-op campaigns, but the single-player campaign in Spec Ops: The Line is wonderful. The graphics are quite good, the story is amazing, the sounds are convincing, the controls are solid, and the weapons feel really powerful and are a pleasure to shoot. I understand that Call of Duty and its clones are falling out of fashion, but in terms of single-playerI haven't tried the multiplayer or co-op campaigns, but the single-player campaign in Spec Ops: The Line is wonderful. The graphics are quite good, the story is amazing, the sounds are convincing, the controls are solid, and the weapons feel really powerful and are a pleasure to shoot. I understand that Call of Duty and its clones are falling out of fashion, but in terms of single-player this is a pretty good CoD clone and well worth checking out. Expand
  94. Sep 7, 2013
    I played the PC version. Standard third person 100% shooter where you're led by the nose between set pieces. You've seen it a hundred times before: you can take dozens of hits, the world consists of rows of waist-high cover, your health regenerates in seconds, the enemy respawns endlessly, yada yada yada. The graphics are par for the course, controls are awful, the story ridiculous.

If

If you like this type of game... well, shame on you, you're the reason PC games suck so badly nowadays.
  95. Aug 28, 2013
    What can I say about this game. The gameplay was ok, though nothing we haven't seen in countless other shooters. What is super annoying however is the "America vs. the world" garbage found in so many games and movies nowadays. Right down to the guitar solo playing during the main menu I mean seriously, how cliché is that.

What a joke. Even for a free game, I'm still left feeling

What a joke. Even for a free game, I'm still left feeling somehow ripped off.
  96. Aug 23, 2013
    I shat bricks. Every developer should take note of this game. It changed the way first person shooters are judged as a whole. Just a heads up, this game is much more violent than the average 3rd person shooter (which is saying something).
  97. Aug 22, 2013
    Mediocre or worse in every department, INCLUDING the story. A so-called 'PC game' that feels so totally like it was made for a Playstation 2. A straightjacket of incredibly narrow spaces and choices. A 'Man's game with all men character's, unending-until-you-puke mach- monologuing by all the characters. Terrible camera. Terrible level design. Terrible shooting mechanics. Terrible cover.Mediocre or worse in every department, INCLUDING the story. A so-called 'PC game' that feels so totally like it was made for a Playstation 2. A straightjacket of incredibly narrow spaces and choices. A 'Man's game with all men character's, unending-until-you-puke mach- monologuing by all the characters. Terrible camera. Terrible level design. Terrible shooting mechanics. Terrible cover. Terrible controls. Terrible 'moral choices'. The story is pumped full of overbearing male testosterone and its pretensions of moral depth are an exercise in vapid nihilism. Games like this are basically a waste of a time. Go for a walk in the park, read a book, see a concert, climb a mountain, drink with friends. Anything is better than this game. Compared to its genre competitiors, like 'Gears of War', 'Halo', 'Call of Duty', 'Battlefield' or Far Cry this game is complete garbage. An FPS game lives or dies according to its combat controls and these are easily the worst in that department in recent memory. 'Oh but you must play to the end, because the end redeems the horrible game' cry many reviewers. They lie. The journey is the destination. One would have to have a huge separation from the real world to find this story interesting. I'd rather play dating games with my gay squad members-Bioware style than endure another playthrough of this. To kill or not to kill? The answer won't be interesting if the question is not real. And its not real!

98. Aug 21, 2013
    This game is just poetry to me. So much good stuff to talk about here.
    The story and cinematography are the best aspect of the game: never I've been so attacked to a story (well, beside Telltale's Walking Dead) and Captain Walker is my second favourite video game character ever after John Marston: he starts out as a typical action hero, but in the end he changes a lot.
    The gameplay is
    This game is just poetry to me. So much good stuff to talk about here.
    The gameplay is not god-awful as many say: I love me some third-person shooters and I got a lot of enjoyment from this game.
    The replay value is pretty high: you may change some decision in the story, as well as seeing what happens with a different perspective. Plus, there is a co-op mode that is just amazing, with new maps to play with a friend. The multiplayer is okay, too bad not many people play it.
  99. Aug 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed this game. I'm not usually one for first third person shooters, but solidly enjoyed this. I got it as part of a pre-purchase of XCOM the Bureau, so was effectively free, and was pleasantly surprised. Although the mechanics were sometimes a little rough around the edges (ordering squad mates was not as intuitive or fleshed out as much as I would have liked), the story and dialogue kept me engaged. I really enjoyed the scenario and environment in this game, the sand storms and dunes made things interesting, and the movement between close indoors combat and outdoor combat, as well as lots of vertical movement and engagement, kept things fresh. This was really important to me, as in the end you are mainly fighting the same sort of troop again and again (though knives and shotguns would be pointed out to me by my squad mates they still just needed a few bullets to take down the biggest change in type would be heavies, which required a bit of work). The large range of scenarios for engaging these homogenous enemies made it feel fresh up until the end. The story was top notch, and was very happy with the ending I got (1 of 4 or 5 I think), with enough foreshadowing throughout that the twist seems legitimate and not out of the blue. I don't know if I enjoyed it enough to replay the whole thing through again, but I very much enjoyed the ~5 hours I put into it (again, it was free). Expand
  100. Aug 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It has some unique storytelling elements which I have not yet seen in any game so far. Spec Ops: the line does throw some scenarios which really makes the player feel bad about himself.

An example of this scenario was when I was looking down at running soldiers, trying to sprint away from the bullets which I and my companions were haling down onto them. They just ran, for their lives. They did not try to stop me, fight me or otherwise hinder me. They just ran. This left me feeling bad about myself, unethical in a way, to shoot people who just are scared.

The games way of throwing these scenarios at the player is the strongest point in the game. The game does not stop, it just continues like nothing. If you accidentally shoot a running civilian, fine, the game does not pause, does not give you a "game over" status, it just continues, but it left me feeling bad, almost dirty.

Dialogue is, meh. It gets to many thrown in the soup sometimes. However the conflict between the players two sidekicks are sometimes interesting.

Controls are broken. It becomes clear that this is a lousy PC-Port. The developers decided to bind several functions to one button. While this is logical on a controller there is no reason to do this on a pc.
    Clunky is the word to describe it. I got me killed a couple of times.

The graphics are impressive, which is to be expected from an UE3 game. It is not bad looking at all, but it is neither as good as the very top of some other games like Crysis or Metro: last light.
    Most impressive is the sandstorms who occasionally whips up tons of sand around the player, obscuring his/hers vision.

If the graphics are good, the gameplay itself is not. Combine weak AI (standard rush to death pattern), uninteresting guns, bad controls and one or two to many office-buildings to traverse, it is monotonous and repetitive.

What really grinds me is how the developers are using scripted-events a little to often.

On one scenario I am walking through a huge pile of dead people, and the restrict my movement for no good reason. It is like they are trying to say

"Look how horrible this is"

Well, I could find that out myself, thanks.

Spec ops: the line sure has its great moments, but it is never fun to play it.
    It has interesting ideas, and executes those well, but otherwise, it fails.
  101. Dec 27, 2012
    In a field of games that are created to build the player up to a godly status of superhero, Spec Ops: The Line dares to fly in the face of that, deciding instead to actively fight the player and their sense of heroism. Based on Heart of Darkness, the same story that inspired Apocalypse Now, It is set in a destroyed Dubai, where a squad is sent to rescue survivors. This is a game that isIn a field of games that are created to build the player up to a godly status of superhero, Spec Ops: The Line dares to fly in the face of that, deciding instead to actively fight the player and their sense of heroism. Based on Heart of Darkness, the same story that inspired Apocalypse Now, It is set in a destroyed Dubai, where a squad is sent to rescue survivors. This is a game that is built on traditional mechanics, a samey brown fps that most gamers that pick the title up will identify immediately and become comfortable with. This is the moment Spec Ops chooses to throw the player into disarray, forcing them to question their very motives for even playing a video game, as well as the characters choices. The player, in the end, is drawn into a state of distance from the character, a sort of last shred of sanity and conscious that the character has left. By the end, you are changed in parallel. You are a different person. Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 13, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line tries new and interesting ground on storytelling, but falls short on the action department. Still, it's worth playing through for the atmosphere and few different endings alone. [Aug 2012]
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Were it not for some technical issues and console-related shortcomings (gamepad controls and no anti-aliasing), Spec Ops: The Line would be one of the best games for 2012. But, things being as they are, it remains merely a diamond in the rough, destined for wicked crazy status within the following years. Definitely superior to the related series of Kane & Lynch, it proves that, with a steady vision and soul, a genre so clichéd like military shooters, can not only surprise us pleasantly, but totally overwhelm us. [August 2012]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Aug 10, 2012
    Expectations were greater than game could have achieved. Yet the new Spec Ops game is a good excuse to stay home and play. [Issue#220]