Spectraball PC

5.6

1. Apr 26, 2011
    I got this game a while ago on Steam and it looked really awesome. The game actually plays pretty well and it runs smoothly. The reason I'm giving it such a low score is that the developer, FlashCube, said that they were adding more levels and new content and then just vanished. The site's not even there anymore. So the game is great aside from the fact that there aren't very many levelsI got this game a while ago on Steam and it looked really awesome. The game actually plays pretty well and it runs smoothly. The reason I'm giving it such a low score is that the developer, FlashCube, said that they were adding more levels and new content and then just vanished. The site's not even there anymore. So the game is great aside from the fact that there aren't very many levels and I'm pretty sure someone hacked the leaderboards. All that being said, it's still a pretty good game. Expand
  2. Jan 5, 2013
    A decent little game. I bought it for $1.25 during a Steam Sale so overall it was a good purchase. Completed it in 2.5hr though, was expecting more levels (seeing as the version I bought was called "extended" edition), but oh well. I had a good time, however the last level was almost impossible for me because of the glitches (had to restart the level entirely numerous times), some movingA decent little game. I bought it for $1.25 during a Steam Sale so overall it was a good purchase. Completed it in 2.5hr though, was expecting more levels (seeing as the version I bought was called "extended" edition), but oh well. I had a good time, however the last level was almost impossible for me because of the glitches (had to restart the level entirely numerous times), some moving platforms that previously took me to where I needed to go just slowly descended the second time around, and even went through other props and tracks (just clipped right through them). A teleporter was also glitched and wouldn't work (and it was activated). So because of the glitches and bugs I had to take 2 points off, and the shortness was another 1 point off. And the last point I took off was because of the poor level design, it was just: go find this button, open the door, go through. Go find this button, turn the gravity plate on, go up. Go find this button, drop the bridge, go over. I think you get the idea. Expand
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    Is not Marble blast who wants.
    Torn apart be a copy of marble and be different, we have here huge and very long level, which is not bad.
    The physic is good and 3D doesn't burn eyes. But two significant points are the check point system and the acceleration . Check point location are very strange, sometimes extremely far from each other, sometimes force you to do again useless action
    Is not Marble blast who wants.
    The physic is good and 3D doesn't burn eyes.
    But two significant points are the check point system and the acceleration .
    Check point location are very strange, sometimes extremely far from each other, sometimes force you to do again useless action (just one jump), and, the most horrible, have to be on a specific place to activate it, not an area. And of course there is nothing to show where is the check point... Because there is many way to finish a race, you don't always find them even if you pass like 2 cm from it...
    And go for the most horrible point: acceleration. This is 0% or 100%. you cannot go slowly by pushing gently the stick... Even if you do that, it will be 100% acceleration... With that kind of gameplay, this is shame to forgot that.
    Because of that, this game is really frustrating, not even fun a second.
  4. Jan 18, 2013
    Do not waste your money on this game. It will drive you insane. I spent $2.50 on this game via steam and I still think this is the biggest waste of money out of any game I have ever bought. The game starts out alright and is fairly interest, however, the checkpoint system breaks the game. There are parts in the game that are very difficult and you have to attempt them many times inDo not waste your money on this game. It will drive you insane. I spent $2.50 on this game via steam and I still think this is the biggest waste of money out of any game I have ever bought. The game starts out alright and is fairly interest, however, the checkpoint system breaks the game. There are parts in the game that are very difficult and you have to attempt them many times in order to succeed. The problem is that some of these really difficult parts don't have checkpoints close enough to them, so whenever you fail, you have to do 45 seconds of boring stuff just to get to the challenging part. 45 seconds doesn't sound like a lot of time, but it adds up when you have to do certain parts 25+ times (depending on your skill) to succeed.

If you are not as skilled at ball games like this, it can just get very monotonous because you can count on attempting certain pieces a lot, and wasting a lot of time on useless trash that you have already completed countless times.

I would probably give this game a 6 if it weren't for the crappy checkpoint system.
  5. Aug 29, 2013
    Spectraball has been criticized pretty harshly on here, and I think it's a little misguiding. It's a solid marble platformer, and if that's something you like you'll almost definitely enjoy it.
  6. Feb 22, 2013
    Spectraball is an alright little platformer. Every single chapter in the game have its own feel and look and there are some cool platforming sections in there even though it for the most part isnt anything out of the ordinary. The platforming is simply but i works well enough and there is also a map-editor which is a pretty cool feature. The gameplay would probably start to get repetitiveSpectraball is an alright little platformer. Every single chapter in the game have its own feel and look and there are some cool platforming sections in there even though it for the most part isnt anything out of the ordinary. The platforming is simply but i works well enough and there is also a map-editor which is a pretty cool feature. The gameplay would probably start to get repetitive after a while though if the game wasnt so very short. I completed the game in around two hours and i took my time with the levels. Another shortcoming of the game is its checkpoint system that often forces you to replay unnecessary sections which can be quite annoying. This game is simply an alright short little platforming that neither really impresses or pisses off the player. Pick it up for a cheap price if you need to waste an hour or two. Expand
  7. Oct 28, 2015
    A simplistic marble platformer game, Spectraball is nothing if not inoffensive. The graphics are rather crude - while the actual ball itself looks nice enough, everything else in the levels looks like something from the PS2 era, with crude models and low-res textures being the rule rather than the exception. There was very little to excite in this game...

Yet, I don't really feel like

Yet, I don't really feel like it was a total waste of my time. It was reasonably challenging and it had okay levels. They were pretty ugly, but the actual platforming challenges in them were mostly fairly decent. The fact that you were a marble meant that bouncing off of stuff was dangerous, and there were a number of momentum-based puzzles and ramp-based puzzles to satisfy your urge to do those things.

But on the whole the game was utterly unremarkable. There are seven levels in the game, and chances are you’ll beat the whole game in about 2 hours, working out to a bit north of 10 minutes per level. This means that you’re not getting a whole bunch of gameplay for your buck – but on the other hand, the game is so simplistic you probably wouldn’t really want it to be any longer, as it would wear out its welcome.

All in all, the game is a competent platformer. And this is somewhat surprising, as making a competent 3D platformer is surprisingly difficult. Still, this isn’t anything special, and it certainly isn’t GOOD – more okay. The graphics are poor, there is no real story or anything else, no real motive – all there is are the levels and the question of whether or not you can clear them all.
  8. Sep 25, 2013
    Maybe the problem is with the godawful Unity engine, I don't know. Although the levels and the music are nice, the overly lifelike physics go rampant in this game.

If you are making a physics based puzzle platformer, you gotta make sure that the game has solid controls and well outlined levels that don't let the physics engine enough freedom to make the game frustrating. (See Portal. If physics would work realistically in Portal it would be a terrible game.)
  9. Jan 16, 2013
    It's Marble Madness, in pretty 3d.

Not enough to really bring back that nostalgia, but it's still more than worthwhile for the price point. Little to lose if you don't like it.
  10. May 31, 2015
    Bad game-play, horrible camera control, background in your plain sight hiding everything and unbalanced checkpoint locations make this game a quest for frustration and pain instead of challenge and fun. Worst marble game ever.

There are no critic reviews yet.