7.9

1. Jan 3, 2014
    its one of the best games i had ever played.this game is the perfect example for the time where the games were made with love.its 2014 now but this game is so good that you can buy it even now
  2. Jun 27, 2012
    Very few games have such great immersion as this game, from my personal opinion I can only name the original farcry and deus ex, half life 2 but for an rts and rpg fan this one is the best. It is the type of game that allow you to wholly immerse yourself into the gameplay and storyline in a way that isolates you from the real world and becomes the only reality the matter for the duration of the game. I had the fortune of having one week holiday when started the campaign, and for four days straight I played this game, stopping only to make dinner and breakfast. This game also allows you to play while you sleep, since you gain experience for every kill on the map you can create a solid defence before going to sleep and then wake up 2-3 levels higher.

To summarize the reason I give it 8 instead of 10 I will give my opinions on these points about the game.

The music is very good, excellent ambitient music with good combat music. The graphics are awesome for its time, though the characters looks retarded when their talking and flapping their arms while wielding a huge warhammer/swords, it is the terrain and sky graphic that gives excellent immersion. The sound is very mediocre and you will come to hate the battle notification sound that screams at you because a goblin is walking past your city. The combat sounds are decent but few so they do get tedious. The combat is very good for a warrior, ranger and any class that does not focus wholly on spellcasting. For a pure wizard though you will find your character utterly useless in this game. Clumsy spell targetting system and lack of mana will find you only using your good spells against special monsters. The storyline is very good thanks to the dialogue and voice acting (though some are questionable) and it will keep you interested in progressing nonestop, though I will be honest and say I only understood about 80% of what was going on and why things were the way they were, you hear allot of references to the circle mages but not much substance. The cool and original thing is that you go from controlling all the races, both evil and good while if you gather your Human army and Orc army at the same place they will start attacking each other. The place this game shines is character progression and gear, you get to spend ability points to increase your stats which is something I love and that all modern day rpg lack, you get to drool at epic items and build your character for wielding them. If you do it correctly you will go from low class warrior to an unstoppable champion, though you will never be overpowered. Even though the combat system is clumsy, the actuall battles is beautifull to watch thanks to aggressive AI, watching hundreds of warriors and mighty monsters battle on a grand scale compared to many other RTS games, and for a RPG style game it has the biggest battles I have ever seen. The maps are revisitable and often have new quests which is great for longevity and gives you a non linear approach to a linear storyline, this is one of my favorite aspects of this game. The sad thing is the multiplayer is horrible, as this has the potential to be the best coop game in rts/rpg history if you could do the campaign with friends or have friends control the enemy camp. Another boring aspect is you will be running, and running and searching and talking with many people in the cities you have absolutely no need for which is the most tedious thing in this game, too many interactable npc's that dont give anything.

So the game is not perfect, but damn its enjoyable and I hope to see future developers learn from this game when creating a more dynamic RTS/RPG crossover. Thanks Jowood.

1. It may have a familiar-seeming premise, and it may have a few noticeable shortcomings, but SpellForce's unique combination of role-playing and strategy elements makes it worth a look for fans of either kind of game.
  2. Gets an "A" for design, and a "C-" for execution. Let's hope major patches can revise this game to greatness. [Apr 2004, p.81]
  3. Amazing graphics, and it expands on everything that previous RTS and RPG games have created.