Star Control 3 PC

5.0

1. Feb 16, 2011
    Ok, yes. It's not Star Control II, arguable one of the very best games ever made.

But it doesn't deserve all these 1 star reviews. SC3 actually had a lot of great moments, beautifully crafted aliens, and well performed dialog. The ship mechanics and gameplay weren't as good, and the story not as satisfying, but this game had amazing personality. I've played it through again and again and will always remember it fondly. Star Control II is better, but if you've played it a million times and know the story by heart, Star Control III is the nearest thing available.

It's a shame there aren't more recent options out there and there was never a true sequel, but at least they tried. If you just want to go out there and talk to aliens, this game is awesome. And that's my ideal videogame, one where I just wander around and talk to aliens. For that - thank you Star Control 3, thank you.

1. There''s ''playing hours a plenty'' here for all strategy fans, the soundtrack and speech are great and the story is complex and intriguing. Put it this way, it's my present number one pastime apart from swivelling my microscope.
  2. One of the best games of the year. It migh t even be the best adventure game of the year. The plot is deep, the characters are brought to life effectively, I haven't found almost any bugs, and they didn't leave anything out.
  3. PC Gamer
    Even with its few faults, Star Control 3 is a worthy successor and a blast to play. [Dec 1996, p.260]