Star Trek Online PC

6.2

1. KenB
    Feb 17, 2010
    I love Star Trek and have never really gotten into any MMO before but this game rocks! I have tried playing other MMOs like Wow and Matrix and Star Wars but this game wipes them out of the water...This is a perfect game! Sure there are some problems but Cryptic is listening and patching rather fast which is nice to see. I love this game and it will just get better!
  2. GunstarOne
    Feb 17, 2010
    Are you guys all retarded take your MMORPG's snobish nose out of the air at take a good look at the traps and trials the STO faces in the current market across the board not just MMORPG but gaming in general look at other games 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after its realease there are some dam finet title to take your money elsewhere but the fact that STO has had over 1 million paid Are you guys all retarded take your MMORPG's snobish nose out of the air at take a good look at the traps and trials the STO faces in the current market across the board not just MMORPG but gaming in general look at other games 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after its realease there are some dam finet title to take your money elsewhere but the fact that STO has had over 1 million paid subs so far syas something it says IT WILL BE A GREAT GAME ! mark my words this game will # 3 MMORPG in subs and sales by years end. STO FOEVER Expand
  3. Nov 7, 2012
    Uggg. Another game with great potential and a background story that is unique. Again we have another game with stale mechanics. If you made the graphics neutral you could probably swap this out for LOTR Online and have the same game. The linear quest lines have been dated for over a decade now. It is a shame the makers couldn't give this title some originality instead of just banking on the name.
  4. May 16, 2012
    Amazing MMO, started off two years ago very bland with nearly identical missions, but judging the additions from the last few months it is obvious the designers are working proactively to add new game concepts and awesome featured missions. The addition of the foundry allows almost unlimited content to be available in the star trek universe. The huge fleet and PvP system allows playersAmazing MMO, started off two years ago very bland with nearly identical missions, but judging the additions from the last few months it is obvious the designers are working proactively to add new game concepts and awesome featured missions. The addition of the foundry allows almost unlimited content to be available in the star trek universe. The huge fleet and PvP system allows players to be much more cooperative and even allows mission to be done as a team. Space battles are much more exciting and shooter mode allows a normally RPG style game to be much more engaging. At first I would've rated this game a 3, but with all the work put into it in the last 2 years it's been shown that this MMO won't degenerate, it will expand. Therefore, based on it's potential if if follows the upwards curve the designers have started, I'm rating STO 10 out of 10. Expand
  5. Jun 3, 2012
    WOW game mechanics like linear progression, tank-nuker-healer, taints every opinion I have on a game; basically I loath it. I've been there, done that, and I don't want to do it anymore.
  6. Jan 28, 2014
    This game is insanely good, its not action packed and the FPS is not the best but as MMO's go, it's great. I play this game more frequently that any of my other payed games like Bioshock 1,2 or 3, Civilization V, GTA IV, Dead Space, Anno 2070, or Mass Effect. The reason this game appeals to me is the fact that new content just keeps coming out it's incredible. The customization in thisThis game is insanely good, its not action packed and the FPS is not the best but as MMO's go, it's great. I play this game more frequently that any of my other payed games like Bioshock 1,2 or 3, Civilization V, GTA IV, Dead Space, Anno 2070, or Mass Effect. The reason this game appeals to me is the fact that new content just keeps coming out it's incredible. The customization in this game is second to none. In most games there is 1 or 2 really good "items" (in this case ships) that allow you to be the best, but in STO there is no one build or one single ship that is the best there are so many ways to specialize and customize in this game that it never seems to get old. With its constant evolution and refinement this game is the best game I have in my Steam account right now. You may read low reviews but seeing as how this game is free I highly recommend you try this game before writing it off. Expand
  7. Aug 17, 2013
    I shall be concise.

I have been with the game since alpha. I quit it a year ago. I have a founder life-time account. I have spent $1,961 on the game. Yes, I was a sucker to do it. Learned my lesson the hard and painful way. As a free game, it is somewhat reasonable. Decent graphics, decent space combat and ground combat. But the game never went anywhere and never will. Eventually,
    I shall be concise.

I have been with the game since alpha. I quit it a year ago.

Eventually, it is a repetitive treadmill grind at best. Now it's becoming more so than ever.

It is not worth your money!!!

Cryptic Studios mistreat their customers and treat their players as cash-cows to milk. The game has bugs which were never treated. Indefinite customer complaints which were ignored. Broken promises which are repeated since beta. The list goes on.
    There is just not enough room here to begin to detail how poorly the game is hang together by spit and gum and how horribly they manage their community and abuse their players.
    Lets not even mention how they trample and pee over the Star Trek franchise, incase you're an actual fan.

Thus my suggestion: if you want a free ride, go on and enjoy it. But never spend a dime on it. It doesn't deserve it and it will only make you regret it.

Post scriptum:
    Worthy of note that the Community is also rife with douchebags and whiners.
  8. Jun 19, 2014
    I tired this when it first came out and it didn't click. Recently gave the FTP version a try because it had a new tutorial and really liked what I found. And what I found was a very polished game with lots to do, lots to learn and lots to explore.

I don't care if it's 'Pay To Win' (not that anyone seems able to explain what people are actually 'winning'). What other people do with their money is their own business. You don't need to spend anything to have a perfectly fine time.

Ships are very customisable through equipment and crew, combat is akin to a 3 dimensional Starfleet Command, which works just fine for me.

The galaxy has a real feel of 'everything falling apart at the seams' and the Federation bringing back into service anything that can mount a warp nacelle.

Even though i'm only a humble Lieutenant I've swept systems clean of Klingons engaged in impromptu fleet actions against The Borg and all sorts of good trekkie stuff. All in all I'm having a fine time and without it costing anything.

If you're a Trek fan then you've nothing to lose by putting an evening aside to play the tutorial and a couple of mission.
  9. Dec 4, 2013
    Pardon me, but Cryptic. I am a huge fan of ST, particularly Voyager. I was wondering how will they achieve the meaning of ST exploring. Well... They didn't. Such a small effort was put in this that it makes me sick. They made a single player shooting game. This is an online game with almost 0 multiplayer options. Although this is a mockery to star trek, after I haven't played a whilePardon me, but Cryptic. I am a huge fan of ST, particularly Voyager. I was wondering how will they achieve the meaning of ST exploring. Well... They didn't. Such a small effort was put in this that it makes me sick. They made a single player shooting game. This is an online game with almost 0 multiplayer options. Although this is a mockery to star trek, after I haven't played a while this game, I wanted again to drive the intrepid few more times. Well I couldn't, because Cryptic banned my account for some reason and wouldn't give me it back. Pathetic as they are, they even don't respect their players.

I'll give it a 1, only because I can't give a 0 to something that has"Star Trek" in it's name.
  10. Jan 6, 2015
    This has been the true home of the Star Trek franchise for years now. Excellent game play. Many critics were obsessive-compulsives who expected far too much. Great fun in space and on the ground, two games in one.
  11. Jan 19, 2014
    This game is a respectable game that differs from the horde MMO games that are painfully similar to each other. Its very fresh and refreshing difference in a MMO. I am happy to say I could play this game until the servers are shut down and plan too.
  12. Jan 25, 2014
    I bought STO when it first came out, and found it clunky, unpolished, and just not that fun to play. A few years later I have re-visited it now that it has the "legacy of Romulus" re-brand and plenty of time to improve. Once I'd worked out how to link my new download with my old STO purchase - and found little or no benefit to having paid £50-odd over what anyone downloading the free gameI bought STO when it first came out, and found it clunky, unpolished, and just not that fun to play. A few years later I have re-visited it now that it has the "legacy of Romulus" re-brand and plenty of time to improve. Once I'd worked out how to link my new download with my old STO purchase - and found little or no benefit to having paid £50-odd over what anyone downloading the free game has) I discovered how little improvement there seems to have been in the intervening years. My starship has twice got "stuck" colliding with other objects, in the second instance the game became juddered, jumped, became unresponsive, and left me open to being pummeled to death by Klingons because I couldn't steer, fight back, quit the mission. When I force close the program and log back in I'm still stuck in the same juddering mission unable to quit to the galaxy map. Missions are borked either by this weird stuck-and-judder problem I seem to get, or by the game's failure to detect that you've actually finished a mission, or by poorly written quest updates that you have to Google to deciper. When missions work, they are mostly very dry fetch or kill quests. My desire to see a living Star Trek universe was great, and at least there is plenty of Star Trek in the design. But the universe feels empty and restricted - small stations, limited freedom between linear quests. A bizarre combination of a quite lovely warp area map, let down by a flat, un-interactive galaxy map, add to the feeling of incompleteness. Much is made by some reviewers out of the ability to customize ships or appearance - but it seems to come at the expense of gameplay, which revolves around dull, repetitive, pillar-to-post missions. Some people seem to like the space combat - but we're not seeing it from a bridge so this immediately felt less Star Trek-esque to me. It's also restricted to a sort of deep plane (rather than the 3D of space) so it feels less like space combat than the original Elite! Combat consists mainly of Warcraft-style button pushing with a little scope for steering tactics (e.g. broadsiding with phasers to bring the shields down, then turning to face to unleash a finishing torpedo). STO could have been so good! But how long do you really want to spend being told to run from one person to another, then pushing "1" or "2" repeatedly while bad guys fall over, however attractive the scenery and backstory? Expand
  13. Aug 18, 2014
    I've been pleasantly surprised with how this game has turned out. The ground missions felt a bit limited to begin with but they have gotten better as I've progressed, and the space missions are very fun. Really enjoying the story as well.
  14. Sep 10, 2014
    I'm a fan of Star Trek, so it saddens me to see the license squandered on such a carelessly built game. There should be a limit to corporate greed, but Star Trek Online is, unfortunately, not the utopia the Federation is based on.

The story, the heart of main quest lines, is entirely forgettable. The plot points is interesting though cliche (war, shadow enemies, putting down rebellions), but poorly executed in game. The story is conveyed in a large block of text below a character portrait, with few animations, facial expressions, voice acting, or cutscenes to breath life into the story.

Star Trek Online does provide a possible source of engagement: bridge officers. But they also squander it. The bridge officers lack personality, distinctiveness. The same text is repeated just with different portraits. This is partially mitigated by the Romulan expansion with a single permanent crew member, but the game is better served simply having a fixed crew for all missions for the sake of story then allowing the user to select their own after.

The combat, particularly the ground combat, is a tedious affair. Moving 4 feet, engaging 10 enemies, then move another 4 feet, then engaging the SAME set of enemies. Repeat this for 8 more times before the 1st objective is complete. Then 2 more objectives to go! Nevermind the ground combat's mechanic complexity does not even extend beyond mashing attack and occasionally tossing out a special.

The scenarios are uninspired; go here scan this, go here kill this, go here protect this. All missions will follow these same patterns; the only difference is order. Playing the game is an exercise in patience; the equivalent of chopping digital trees ad nauseam. Time spent on these missions is wasted.

But the game breaker is the lack of polish. Icons do not line up properly with their description. Targeting is not fluid. The overall map does not relay where the next mission objective is. Numerous graphical glitches kill immersion. AI path finding and combat is broken. The list goes on.

Yet, there is still something to love. The space combat IS fun. The details on the ship, even if not in anything else, is great. The concept of bridge officers is interesting. It's unfortunate these features were not fully fleshed out.

There's still something here for Star Trek fans. But for anyone else, their money and time is better spent elsewhere.
  15. Jan 17, 2015
    I must confess, all the time I get frustrated with the game and curse it out, I keep going back to it. There is a lot good here, and a some not so good. First the good. There is a ton of content. even before you get to the other tuff like New Romulus or Delta Rising, the campaign is massive and takes easily into the hundreds of hours to go through, and I am still going through it all.I must confess, all the time I get frustrated with the game and curse it out, I keep going back to it. There is a lot good here, and a some not so good. First the good. There is a ton of content. even before you get to the other tuff like New Romulus or Delta Rising, the campaign is massive and takes easily into the hundreds of hours to go through, and I am still going through it all. I am currently Vice Admiral Rank. The ships are nicely rendered, though damage visualization is nothing special. Space combat is fun and you really feel like you are commanding a star ship. At levels up to Rear Admiral lower half you get a free, progressively more powerful ship. There are ships you can purchase with better stats, but to be honest, the only ship I purchased that was worth anything was the tier three Excelsior - and it was a bit of a rip off that the console that allowed free transwarp to pretty much everywhere in the galaxy only worked on this ship. The other ships, for the most part, don't have upgrade states enough to justify their cost (twenty-five to thirty dollars - only recommended once you get to tier 5 ships). One of the worst things about STO is the control system. It is very awkward. the only way to accurately control the ship is to hold both the left and right mouse buttons together and steer. The problem with this, is that many of the special functions (consoles) are activated by clicking them (hence, no more steering of the ship, a big no-no in a dog fight) or using alt-1, alt-2, ctrl-1, ctrl-2, etc. This is awkward in the extreme. Not so bad in earlier ships with only a few consoles, but when you have a dozen or so...well it really detracts from the experience. You can steer using WASD but with nowhere close to the finesse of using the two mouse buttons.

Ground combat has much the same problem, as in ground combat you are in shooter mode. The direction of the mouse points you in the way to go and w or s moves you back and forth. you can also strafe using D or A and double tapping any of these allows for a defensive roll. Not bad, except the special abilities in class specific kits as well as shield and hypo boosts (healing potions for the D and D minded out there) are using the same button combos as in space combat. And you need them much more as in ground combat, no mater how good your shield or body armor is, you are crap. I am trying to dodge all this stuff in coming and by the time I am fumbling with the buttons to use a hypo or shield recharge, I am dead. And this happens a lot, far more than in space combat. Really detracts from the experience. And the cool down times between uses of hypos or shield charges makes the whole thing worse.

The difficulty settings are normal, Advanced and Epic. Normal sees you more or less matched with equal targets and if you die, no chance of injury or ship damage upon respawn. Advanced sees a chance of injury and bosses that are ridiculously difficult, especially in Advanced or I can't even imagine epic. Not so bad in Space Combat, ridiculously aggravating in ground combat. I have died maybe 4 or 5 times in 52 levels of play in space combat, I have died at least a dozen and a half times in ground combat, and it seems the difficulty level spikes after you hit Captain. I would rather have an even shot in Normal while having the chance of injury upon death, than go advanced for the full experience and die 30 or 40 times cursing away as I go. And the awkward controls, in part, are a big reason for all the dying. Also, there is no real cover system in ground combat which would make for a slower but much more enjoyable and survivable game experience.

Still despite these and other complaints, I keep going back, because it is a fun game. But ship combat was done better in STC III (if I could meld those two games together, wowsa!) and almost anything is better than ground combat. I will not go so far as to say that ground combat is impossible, just unnecessarily frustrating.

Final analysis -

Enjoyable with great Star Trek lore.
    Immersive role playing experience (Ah, I remember when I was in an old Miranda Frigate, now I am in an Odyssey class cruiser!).
    Enjoyable ship combat, crap ground combat.
    Buy a Tier 5 ship and stick with it, it is the one you will keep a long time. Otherwise you will spend hundreds of dollars and most of the pay ships are not much better than the free ones at the respective Tiers.
    A good game that could be far more with better controls.
    I am glad it is F2P, I would not have paid the subscription fee...just not worth that amount of money.
  16. May 20, 2015
    Star Trek Online is easily the best game I've ever played. They have a detailed storyline, cool ships, realistic trek lore and fun combat. There are three factions to choose from and every faction has at least three species and a different storyline. You dong even have to worry about which faction you chose at first because you can play with all three. They even have voice actors fromStar Trek Online is easily the best game I've ever played. They have a detailed storyline, cool ships, realistic trek lore and fun combat. There are three factions to choose from and every faction has at least three species and a different storyline. You dong even have to worry about which faction you chose at first because you can play with all three. They even have voice actors from Star Trek the Original Series and Voyager. Spock is in the freakin game!!! But here are some drawbacks.
    1. To get ships for vice admiral and above you have to pay.
    2. They got rid of star clusters.
    3. You have to pay for more characters.
    4. When you have finished all the missions on a character you have to wait for more. The good news is that they have PVE, PVP, the summer event and the winter event to occupy your time.
    5. It takes a lot of work to get from level 50 to 60. They make you work to get to more missions.
  17. MadV
    Feb 14, 2010
    I actually liked the ground combat better. I mean they put so much work into the character creation and if you know how to play right some of the battles are exciting. The ship stuff is boring and always the same. It's always taking place with a different skybox and you use the same set of abilities. You move to slow even with the abilities like evasive maneuvers to feel like I actually liked the ground combat better. I mean they put so much work into the character creation and if you know how to play right some of the battles are exciting. The ship stuff is boring and always the same. It's always taking place with a different skybox and you use the same set of abilities. You move to slow even with the abilities like evasive maneuvers to feel like it's got any form of action. Most of all I wanted the space aspect to take place from the bridge with a little more depth then a high end flash game that is ultimately is. Too many "i" people working on this, ruined it. It would have been great if the space combat took place from the bridge and the ground combat just had a little more variety. Expand
  18. Jul 28, 2012
    Now 2 years and 8 months since the game has launched and nearly 2 years since my initial review. In that time STO has not improved much. Failing in a subscription model Cryptic/PWE switched to a F2P model. Unlike many other F2P models, this one is a blatant cash grab and none of the transaction can be considered "micro". As far as content and systems go, nothing from my previousNow 2 years and 8 months since the game has launched and nearly 2 years since my initial review. In that time STO has not improved much. Failing in a subscription model Cryptic/PWE switched to a F2P model. Unlike many other F2P models, this one is a blatant cash grab and none of the transaction can be considered "micro". As far as content and systems go, nothing from my previous review has been addressed such as exploration, crafting PvP, factional systems, etc... leaving these important game systems in poor shape. In addition, the player-base has received word that the Feature Episode Series has been canceled, these missions were highly acclaimed by the player base. The only deep system the game has is the Duty Officer System, the new Fleet System was recently introduced but is indicative of the heavy grind found in asian MMO's where the reward is hardly worth the effort placed into it. From here, I will review the game's new season, Season 6 Under Seige. With $7 costumes to $20, you can only get per character, and lottery boxes with poor rewards abounding, the direction of economic model of this game will cause its ultimate failure. Season 6 took nearly 8 months to develop and while the system and generally the artwork are great, the poor content, rewards, and buggy aspects far out-shadow anything good. The monitization hooks abound in the Fleet System with some estimates saying the dollar cost of a fully functional Starbase is $1,500. The introduction of Season 6 came plagued with game breaking bugs to the Foundry, exchange, mail system, combat system to which Cryptic has been slow to respond to. In all, Season 6 has a good foundation that was poorly capitalized on by Cryptic. Even though this "shoot-em-up" version of the Star Trek Universe is F2P, I would recommend passing until the game could be fleshed out more. Expand
  19. Xextreem
    Feb 17, 2010
    Worst game ever. Already beat the game. Nothing special on this. Don`t buy it wase of money. Crypt = money $$$$. Don`t fall in this crapy game its not even close to a "standerd" mmorpg. Its more Starfleet command 4 not star trek online. However if you buy don`t cry. The misions are at 1 point nice if you follow the "story line"but when hit the maxs level its all about pvp/patrol misions. Worst game ever. Already beat the game. Nothing special on this. Don`t buy it wase of money. Crypt = money $$$$. Don`t fall in this crapy game its not even close to a "standerd" mmorpg. Its more Starfleet command 4 not star trek online. However if you buy don`t cry. The misions are at 1 point nice if you follow the "story line"but when hit the maxs level its all about pvp/patrol misions. And let me say its real borring. I know i will go on the bad light but let me say this i have warn you. Don`t fall in this crap like i do. Even i have buy the Special edition and life time subscribe "yah stupid" so let me say don`t fal. Expand
  20. JamesH
    Feb 11, 2010
    The game fails to deliver in many many ways. But, mostly its just devoid of content. The combat system is 'ok' in space.. but, its basically rehashed City of Heroes/Villains and Champions Online. Also, the developers have done a poor job of engaging the community. If you played SW:G at release... then, as bad as that was, STO is worse. If the game didn't have the Star Trek The game fails to deliver in many many ways. But, mostly its just devoid of content. The combat system is 'ok' in space.. but, its basically rehashed City of Heroes/Villains and Champions Online. Also, the developers have done a poor job of engaging the community. If you played SW:G at release... then, as bad as that was, STO is worse. If the game didn't have the Star Trek IP... it would have no playerbase at all, in my opinion. Expand
  21. ScottS
    Feb 10, 2010
    Space combat is something other games can look to take a bit from; not too complex to make you want to rip your hair out, but just enough to make you want more. Ground is boring to say the least; Nothing real ground breaking, for the most part I feel like I'm playing WoW back at level 30(lack of abilities and major difference in characters). The biggest killer is the fact that yet Space combat is something other games can look to take a bit from; not too complex to make you want to rip your hair out, but just enough to make you want more. Ground is boring to say the least; Nothing real ground breaking, for the most part I feel like I'm playing WoW back at level 30(lack of abilities and major difference in characters). The biggest killer is the fact that yet again if you buy it your paying $60 for beta. Zero foresight to at least make the first few weeks bearable. No content to ease leveling for Klingons. And to top it all off the NPCs in the klingon area feel like they dont even have a lootable. I collected more loot in the first 6 levels of the Fed area than in the next 10 levels in the klingon area. Tons of potential but im not paying for the next 3 months to wait for cryptic to release patches to bring the game to "release" status. Expand
  22. RalphC
    Feb 14, 2010
    Game gets a 4 simply due to the storyline missions...of which there isn't enough and they are spread too thin. "Finished" the game in under 5 days /played. At max level, can only do "daily" missions, which are literally on a 24 hour timer...and of which there is *one* of. (The other, at the time of this writing is broken...pvp for feds) The klingon side, which would be the Game gets a 4 simply due to the storyline missions...of which there isn't enough and they are spread too thin. "Finished" the game in under 5 days /played. At max level, can only do "daily" missions, which are literally on a 24 hour timer...and of which there is *one* of. (The other, at the time of this writing is broken...pvp for feds) The klingon side, which would be the pvpers...is drying up as well. Last night's queues: 97 fed, 4 klingons. 75 fed, 2 klingons. 55 fed, 0 klingons. etc. This was for space missions....ground missions had 20+ feds waiting, and 0 klingons across the board. Cryptic blew it AGAIN. I will NOT be giving them any more money, ever. The "bait" of the 45 day patch is crap too. Expand
  23. MikeS
    Feb 2, 2010
    Buggy, laggy, and not fun. Yet another game that imitates a MMO in order to charge a monthly fee yet offers no incentive or motivation to actually team up to accomplish a task. Why are there games that do more for multiplayer while not charging a fee? Cryptic excels at squandering potential when it comes to game design.
  24. John
    Mar 2, 2010
    For a Star Trek game there is NOTHING about this game that is Star Trek but it's look. After 10 days of playing i had cleared ALL content on the federation side. Cleared all content in 10 days of an MMO, WOW! No diplomacy No exploration (what they have is a joke) Combat TOTALLY untrue to Star Trek. (ya. i was blowing up Negh'var Klingon Battleships in a 200 year old Miranda For a Star Trek game there is NOTHING about this game that is Star Trek but it's look. After 10 days of playing i had cleared ALL content on the federation side. Cleared all content in 10 days of an MMO, WOW! No diplomacy No exploration (what they have is a joke) Combat TOTALLY untrue to Star Trek. (ya. i was blowing up Negh'var Klingon Battleships in a 200 year old Miranda class.) I could go on listing massive issues with this game and its relation to Star Trek for a while. It really is that bad and i couldn't be more sad about this outcome. A game i had been waiting for for 10 years. A game I wish steam would give me my money back on. If you like mindless almost endless combat, this game is for you! If your looking for a Star Trek game, this one is FAR from it. Expand
  25. EricT
    Feb 11, 2010
    A good attempt at the franchise but they could have used another year of development for the ground combat system (Champion's Engine), and the space combat is only good because Cryptic didn't come up with it, its a dumped down direct rip of the combat system in Starfleet Command 3. Personally, I'll rebuild an old system and play SFC3, rather than pay Cryptic. As a trekkie A good attempt at the franchise but they could have used another year of development for the ground combat system (Champion's Engine), and the space combat is only good because Cryptic didn't come up with it, its a dumped down direct rip of the combat system in Starfleet Command 3. Personally, I'll rebuild an old system and play SFC3, rather than pay Cryptic. As a trekkie my expectations were pretty low, and even Cryptic was able to fly right under them without any effort, literally. Not good. Expand
  26. Josh
    Feb 12, 2010
    Whilst the game is great for Star Trek fans, which I am one of them, it will slowly fade into the nether regions of "terrible games". Visually, it's a nice game. Content wise, it's a decent game. Long-term playability it's dismal. I've counted up about 4 different activities you can do and all the missions are a randomization of those activities. There is a lot of Whilst the game is great for Star Trek fans, which I am one of them, it will slowly fade into the nether regions of "terrible games". Visually, it's a nice game. Content wise, it's a decent game. Long-term playability it's dismal. I've counted up about 4 different activities you can do and all the missions are a randomization of those activities. There is a lot of positive reviews of this game because it's new. Give it 6 months and you'll find membership dropping and those positive opinions changing to "mediocre". Expand
  27. SeanM
    Feb 14, 2010
    A disappointing and embarrassing attempt to recreate the TNG-era Star Trek universe in a massively multiplayer setting. Persistent, unresolved, showstopping technical problems with the servers and the client are the primary reason why I rated this game so low. Due to the promising space combat, I would rate the game a solid 5.5 if all the technical issues disappeared. But even that very A disappointing and embarrassing attempt to recreate the TNG-era Star Trek universe in a massively multiplayer setting. Persistent, unresolved, showstopping technical problems with the servers and the client are the primary reason why I rated this game so low. Due to the promising space combat, I would rate the game a solid 5.5 if all the technical issues disappeared. But even that very nice-looking space combat gets boring after a while, because the game is so repetitive. Highly recommended to avoid, especially if you are a Star Trek fan and don't want to ruin your opinion of the franchise. Expand
  28. BobJ
    Feb 15, 2010
    I have a feeling this game would have been so much better if not made by cryptic. Since it was though it was released far to early with a lack of content, boring quests, horrendous ground combat, and without any real fun factor. Also with all the instancing I don't think it should be called a MMO. I regret my purchase, Buyer Beware.
  29. DanM
    Mar 8, 2010
    This is a game that programmers and artists clearly loved, but that managers and executives cynically farmed for cash. Despite staggering beauty in spots, and a few nice visual ideas, the space combat, though modestly clever, gets repetitive, the ground combat is clumsy and jarring, the writing juvenile, and the rest of the game as deep as a TMZ gossip piece. The community is uninvolved This is a game that programmers and artists clearly loved, but that managers and executives cynically farmed for cash. Despite staggering beauty in spots, and a few nice visual ideas, the space combat, though modestly clever, gets repetitive, the ground combat is clumsy and jarring, the writing juvenile, and the rest of the game as deep as a TMZ gossip piece. The community is uninvolved in-game, the crafting system is crippled, and the complex, subtle Star Trek universe of diplomacy, discovery, and wonder, is replaced by killing, more killing, and trying to sell a limited inventory of items that no one else wants. Fun for 30 days, but less of an MMO than a desk accessory. Expand
  30. KevinB
    Feb 15, 2010
    Another unfinished mess by Cryptic. Pointless skill trees, worthless itemisation, broken combat and just like their previous failed MMO Champions Online: Retarded game changing last minute decisions. Not to mention that this POS has a cash shop despite being a pay monthly game, and has purchasable content despite it's only just released. Why wasn't that content part of the game? Another unfinished mess by Cryptic. Pointless skill trees, worthless itemisation, broken combat and just like their previous failed MMO Champions Online: Retarded game changing last minute decisions. Not to mention that this POS has a cash shop despite being a pay monthly game, and has purchasable content despite it's only just released. Why wasn't that content part of the game? Because they are greedy idiots with no long term plan for this game. Expand
  31. DookS.
    Feb 16, 2010
    STO is a poor game all around. No 360 degree movement in space combat making space combat a 2d snoozefest, the AI in the PvE portions of the game is awful, ai combat movement is limited, they rarely reinforce shields or take any defensive measures, difficulty(and there is very little of it) is attained my the usual mmo convention of adding more power the npc (ie. they're weapons do STO is a poor game all around. No 360 degree movement in space combat making space combat a 2d snoozefest, the AI in the PvE portions of the game is awful, ai combat movement is limited, they rarely reinforce shields or take any defensive measures, difficulty(and there is very little of it) is attained my the usual mmo convention of adding more power the npc (ie. they're weapons do more damage than my identical weapons) instead of actually developing a decent AI, instead artificially inflating damage and shield power but not making combat anymore interesting and less fun as the game progresses. Exploration is nowhere to be found(star clusters are a joke), Ground combat is more of the same old loot and dice-roll based combat, which was a fine system in the 1970's when rpg's were played on paper, but its become archaic and laughable in an interactive game. Graphically the game is a mixed bag, the 3d models look fine as do the back drops in space but the texture work is some of the worst i have seen, the ship damage texture is awful, and the death animations for space are embarrassing; the ships disappear and are replaced by a stock explosion, no ship parts or debris flying off, (reminds me of space invaders). The future does not look bright for STO if the first real "content" patch is any indication, badge grinding and raiding seem to be the focus going forward. Sad that no company has had the guts to break free of the eq/wow mmo mold. With STO, Cryptic solidifies itself as the shovelware king of the mmo industry with this timid, soulless and boring approach to one of the best sciFi IP's around. Expand
  32. MarkS.
    Mar 14, 2010
    Sadly, once your get past the eye candy what you are left with is a game troubled with mediocrity, at best, and outright disdain for gamers, at worst. Yes, the rabid fans of STO will defend it to the end but the simple truth is that we have been offered a shallow, poorly constructed, shell of a single player game. Perhaps it can be saved but I highly doubt it. If you read their forums Sadly, once your get past the eye candy what you are left with is a game troubled with mediocrity, at best, and outright disdain for gamers, at worst. Yes, the rabid fans of STO will defend it to the end but the simple truth is that we have been offered a shallow, poorly constructed, shell of a single player game. Perhaps it can be saved but I highly doubt it. If you read their forums things have gotten so bad that they are banning "I quit" threads. The question to ask is if this is for the benefit of the community are a desperate attempt to impede opinion. Thanks Cryptic for putting the final nail in the coffin of Trek games. Expand
  33. JakeB
    Mar 2, 2010
    This has got to be one of the worst MMOs ever created. Even the term "MMO" doesn't apply since it's so over-instanced that it might as well be a single player game. What little content actually exists in the game is bland, boring, shallow and extremely repetitive. The ground combat is an utter joke. Space combat is also trivially easy and gets boring very quickly. Furthermore This has got to be one of the worst MMOs ever created. Even the term "MMO" doesn't apply since it's so over-instanced that it might as well be a single player game. What little content actually exists in the game is bland, boring, shallow and extremely repetitive. The ground combat is an utter joke. Space combat is also trivially easy and gets boring very quickly. Furthermore the utterly disrespectful way in which the developers are treating their customers is enough for anyone (no matter how much they love Star Trek) to quit instantly. This game is a definite no-no even for hard core Trekkies. Expand
  34. mattw
    Mar 3, 2010
    This game is so incomplete. You have 3 missions, all with a different skin on it. You have 3 ship type to choose from. There is a complicated amount of weapons/equipment that have stats that will mean nothing to most people. Ground combat, ai, the enviroment are all in need of reworking. Looks worst then other older mmos looked on the planets. This game has nothing new to offer, and This game is so incomplete. You have 3 missions, all with a different skin on it. You have 3 ship type to choose from. There is a complicated amount of weapons/equipment that have stats that will mean nothing to most people. Ground combat, ai, the enviroment are all in need of reworking. Looks worst then other older mmos looked on the planets. This game has nothing new to offer, and without the star trek name would probably not have made it past testing. Expand
  35. Jason
    Feb 26, 2010
    50 dollars, for a game that takes 5 days to complete. NOT WORTH THE MONEY. all the weapons have almost the same damage, or the same. Ground combat is about the worst I have ever seen in a game. if you can even play it. Alot of the time your guys beam down 2 a planet inside the grpound and cant move. triggers for completing missions offten dont work, so you will find yourself do the same 50 dollars, for a game that takes 5 days to complete. NOT WORTH THE MONEY. all the weapons have almost the same damage, or the same. Ground combat is about the worst I have ever seen in a game. if you can even play it. Alot of the time your guys beam down 2 a planet inside the grpound and cant move. triggers for completing missions offten dont work, so you will find yourself do the same mission 3 times to activate the trigger for completion. 2D plain in space, where there is a floor and ceiling, really... WOW, cant get worse than this..?? right? Wrong. The PvP you will spend more time waiting than playing.. ALOT more. I waiting 2 hrs. once to get into a PvP..Then it stated, 35 people vs me alone. I died in about 30 seconds. Was that worth the 2 hr wait. not even close. This is probley one of the worst games I EVER played. We all know now why the life time membership, was pre-order only. This game deserves to be in the 5 dollar bin at your local Walmart. Expand
  36. Jul 22, 2011
    The space combat is new and fun but that is the only redeemable quality about the game. The ground/planet combat really just looks and feels incomplete, like it received no love from the developers. There also isn't enough built in emphasis on playing with others, something that is more and more common and necessary in MMO's. I also, and this might just be me, wanted to be a member of aThe space combat is new and fun but that is the only redeemable quality about the game. The ground/planet combat really just looks and feels incomplete, like it received no love from the developers. There also isn't enough built in emphasis on playing with others, something that is more and more common and necessary in MMO's. I also, and this might just be me, wanted to be a member of a ships crew and work as a team. That was not the direction they chose to go with STO where everyone is the captain of their own ship. I really think that was a mistake and that someone will strike gold when they figure out how to design an MMO around that style of gameplay. Expand
  37. MikeM
    Mar 2, 2010
    It's a pretty standard MMO with a very thin veneer of Trek on it. In short, this game is more MMO than Trek, and the MMO part of it is nothing special. Even old Trek games got the LCARS-style UI in the game right, but not this one. Missing are all the great Trek bloops and bleeps you hear when interacting with a colorful, stylized interface. Voice response is spotty and often wrong It's a pretty standard MMO with a very thin veneer of Trek on it. In short, this game is more MMO than Trek, and the MMO part of it is nothing special. Even old Trek games got the LCARS-style UI in the game right, but not this one. Missing are all the great Trek bloops and bleeps you hear when interacting with a colorful, stylized interface. Voice response is spotty and often wrong ("left shields failing" instead of "port shields failing", for example). The game is a standard leveling treadmill. The skills list is vast and confusing. Itemization is a standard collection of stats and like in every MMO after you upgrade anything you'll be hard pressed to tell a difference on your next outing. Ship combat is a boring affair of button mashing, with players blowing up enemies by the dozen; missing is any sense of strategy or diplomacy. In the Trek universe, ship combat is an elegant dance where knocking down a target's shields is usually enough to get them to open hailing frequencies and negotiate; in Star Trek Online you just blow up the whole enemy fleet (one player can kill half a dozen enemies easily) and maybe something drops loot. For ground combat, there doesn't seem to be a stun setting; again, you just kill enemies by the dozen and win the occasional loot drop. Traveling anywhere is slow and boring, and it seems that every star system is just chock full of asteroids that don't obey the laws of physics. Available activities presented by the game are unclear, as are the player's options when setting his own goals. Save your money. Expand
  38. JeffreyS
    Feb 20, 2010
    A heck of a first salvo. The game looks beautiful and the universe is vast. There is much repetition in the quests and the ground combat is rather stiff and limited. Exploration on planets is limited and you can't wander around the starships. However, it's a fresh MMORPG and the potential is infinite. If Cryptic really puts their collective noses to the grindstone, this is gonna A heck of a first salvo. The game looks beautiful and the universe is vast. There is much repetition in the quests and the ground combat is rather stiff and limited. Exploration on planets is limited and you can't wander around the starships. However, it's a fresh MMORPG and the potential is infinite. If Cryptic really puts their collective noses to the grindstone, this is gonna be the greatest online game ever made. Blizzard, with their World of Warcraft, should be looking over the shoulder. This one is coming at 'em at light speed. Expand
  39. GeneR
    Mar 5, 2010
    This doesn't feel like a game that should be charging a monthly sub. The starship combat is tons of fun. However, everything else, particularly the ground combat, just feels like an unwelcome distraction, and I find myself praying that whatever random encounter I'm in doesn't lead to an away team mission. I even suspect that the space combat will lose it's luster in This doesn't feel like a game that should be charging a monthly sub. The starship combat is tons of fun. However, everything else, particularly the ground combat, just feels like an unwelcome distraction, and I find myself praying that whatever random encounter I'm in doesn't lead to an away team mission. I even suspect that the space combat will lose it's luster in 30+ hours. Also, low difficulty curve, high level variance, and lots of instancing doesn't leave this game very multiplayer friendly. Expand
  40. JohnR
    Feb 15, 2010
    I'm sorry I bought this game! At best this game is only half completed. It lacks any serious content. The developers must of thought everyone just wanted to do PvP or patrol mission. Not enough episodic missions to level with. Exploration mission are cheap on XP's. Oh and those new worlds you are supposed to boldly go and explore equate to nothing more than test planet patches, I'm sorry I bought this game! At best this game is only half completed. It lacks any serious content. The developers must of thought everyone just wanted to do PvP or patrol mission. Not enough episodic missions to level with. Exploration mission are cheap on XP's. Oh and those new worlds you are supposed to boldly go and explore equate to nothing more than test planet patches, with a real estate area equal to the half the circumference of the great forge area in WOW, or the area around the space dock in Theed if playing Star Wars Galaxies. There is no crafting system to speak of, unless to call scanning a cloud in space, or a cheap graphic to get an anomaly harvesting, and using the so-called harvested items to turn banal equipment into negligibly better banal equipment. It becomes mind-numbing after 12 levels because the templates used for missions both space and ground is so limited, nothing seems new, it all follows a very basic formula. I made the mistake of buying the digital deluxe version. Do not buy any version of this game, don't use it if they give it to you for free!!! Expand
  41. StuartF
    Feb 26, 2010
    Initial excitement quickly turns to boredom once you realise that ship to ship combat involves little more than mashing the space bar to fire all phases and occasionally hitting an ability when things come into range. Planet scouting missions will leave you hunting for a tiny white dot in a space full of stars. Another disappointment from Cryptic.
  42. Aug 20, 2014
    Interesting game, only about 2 weeks worth of content. After that the story runs out, the only thing left is grinding for slightly better gear. There is little to no progression after completing the story, the only progression comes form reputation that you don't even need to be online to complete.

My Biggest complaint however, comes from the fact that my best friend was banned permanently for sending me a private message which contained my Fleets website. No warning, instant ban. The system and policies behind this are asinine and are why i cannot recommend anyone play this game. Perfect world says they'll reinstate his account his account when he issues a statement that he was sharing "illicit" materials - they were not. I come to find out that several of our fleet Admins have been banned for the same reason.

Other minor complaints, the game feels rushed / low budget in a lot of respects. Many of the uniforms are bugged, having only half of the gear showing up and completely inadequate information regarding various damage types and differences between them.

The positives, the game isnt pay to win as so many other free to play models are. You can legitimately get everything within the game without using money (though this will take you longer) by trading dilithium for Zen on the trade market.

The game plays (in space) almost exactly like the old Orion Pirates star trek game that was released 10 years ago, same graphics and everything. I feel they could have done better.

I will continue to play this game from time to time until, at some point, they arbitrary ban me, at which point i will go somewhere away from perfect world inc. and i'll be perfectly fine with that.
  43. Jul 13, 2012
    Graphics are okay but unfortunatelly i don't remember the sounds. Starting with a very booring storyline, and when you complete, than you can just after leveling. The characters modelling are terrible. Contains a lots of loading screen and this is the worst in this game and every (which have) MMORPG games. When i play with an MMORPG games i don't want to see a loading screen looks likeGraphics are okay but unfortunatelly i don't remember the sounds. Starting with a very booring storyline, and when you complete, than you can just after leveling. The characters modelling are terrible. Contains a lots of loading screen and this is the worst in this game and every (which have) MMORPG games. When i play with an MMORPG games i don't want to see a loading screen looks like WoW. Have a lots of ship battles in the space and this is also horrible. This game have a booring gameplay, and if you not really like, not try this. Free to play but i don't want to play it again. Expand
  44. Jun 10, 2011
    Addictive as hell and incredibly fun. A good mixture of activities and team/fleet play. I hook up with my mate and we tackle enemies together. The fun never stops! Well worth the £2.37 I got it for on Steam :-D
  45. May 4, 2013
    Unique and unrivaled game and the whole world should know about Star Trek. I hope that the game will exist and develop and will be popular on the planet earth.
  46. Jan 12, 2014
    The customer service is the worst I have ever seen. I got robbed by players in the game and all I got from customer service is "sorry" We are unable to nothing. another words go F your self you dumass customer who spend over $500 in the game. Never would I recommend this game too any one EVER. Thanks for NOTHING Customer service Incident: 140102-000​911
  47. Jun 28, 2015
    Medicore game with some fun aspects. The space battles are good, but they just can't get the ground right. The AI is replaced by massive amount of HP. This means the enemies are dumb punchbags. I literally fell asleep multiple times while playing PVE. The PVP can be more fun, but hardly no one plays that mode.

The foundry can be really fun, but the interface has major issues and it can

The foundry can be really fun, but the interface has major issues and it can be hard to find the better stuff.

The way PWI manages the game is terrible. The GRIND is awful and the lockbox gamble business is scam.
  48. LazaroR
    Mar 8, 2010
    If you like the concept of City of Heroes in space, then go for it. Otherwise don't bother. Check their or the steam forums, they're full of all the issues this game has. I played for 30 days only to realize there was next to nothing to do once you hit the level cap. Add to that the lackluster way they inform you of what your skills actually do. And if your not psychic and you If you like the concept of City of Heroes in space, then go for it. Otherwise don't bother. Check their or the steam forums, they're full of all the issues this game has. I played for 30 days only to realize there was next to nothing to do once you hit the level cap. Add to that the lackluster way they inform you of what your skills actually do. And if your not psychic and you by accident put points into the wrong skills.....too bad for you, there is NO WAY to respec your skills. Expand
  49. MikeS
    Mar 27, 2010
  50. Jul 21, 2011
    I am an avid Star Trek Fan. I love this game. I played it in BETA. When the game was like 3 years away from being released... The graphics are good, Sound good... controls are excellent... The problem you will find with this game like myself, is the boring gameplay. Not that the gameplay is boring, but you get bored doing the same thing over and over and over again!
  51. Apr 22, 2015
    I wish to revise my rating from a 3 down to a 0. With the elimination of daily events, exploration clusters, easily puggable queues, and most recently simpler, solo dailies all of which rewarded reliable amounts of dilithium (in-game currency), there is nothing left of value here but Star Trek franchise nostalgia and name recognition of NPCs. These changes were inaugurated with the permaI wish to revise my rating from a 3 down to a 0. With the elimination of daily events, exploration clusters, easily puggable queues, and most recently simpler, solo dailies all of which rewarded reliable amounts of dilithium (in-game currency), there is nothing left of value here but Star Trek franchise nostalgia and name recognition of NPCs. These changes were inaugurated with the perma banning of one of the most prolific, intelligent, and outspoken player leaders as to remove resistance in advance (JKName). The devs seem only able to focus on ship sales via gamble boxes and even introduced a crafting system that included gambling and is the only means of obtaining highest level gear. The PvE queues have been made more difficult for less reward, the end game grind has been increased 10 fold since "Delta Rising", and the devs admit they have no idea how to make ground maps interesting. Five years in and Andoria is still a wasteland and nothing of meaning can be performed from your bridge. Did I mention zero exploration? The entire plotline revolving around Dyson Spheres and Iconian super beings disgusts me. The universe is too vast and underdeveloped to be presenting the players with demi-god adversaries that require canon races to evolve thousands of years technologically in days to compete with. Stupid design led to gear inflation/power creep and stupid writing has led to plot inflation. We're all Dr. Who now, time-traveling kings of space-time. Way to make the universe small! Expand
  52. May 23, 2013
    Captain's log, stardate... may 2013

We started out a bleeding rock & ended up a shining gem.
    Dare I say we went were none has gone before...?

Just give it a bit more than a few lvl's (ranks) & you will see
    that the game grows on you more and more as you go...

Thank you for this beautiful free game!
  53. Dec 28, 2014
    I didnt know this was considered a "game". Ive been playing videogames for about 20 years now (probably more) and i never saw a videogame so full of bugs, graphic fails, non sense mechanics and a lot of things around. Specially the bugs. More than 75% of the game are bugs. That will be not a problem if the company behind the game will put efforts on fixing these, but unfortunately crypticI didnt know this was considered a "game". Ive been playing videogames for about 20 years now (probably more) and i never saw a videogame so full of bugs, graphic fails, non sense mechanics and a lot of things around. Specially the bugs. More than 75% of the game are bugs. That will be not a problem if the company behind the game will put efforts on fixing these, but unfortunately cryptic only worries about making money at all costs, and they never put efforts on everything else. Yeah , most companies have goals alike, but seriously, like cryptic, ive never seen a company so greedy. They dont fix bugs, they keep releasing mechanics to keep making people to charge money in the game (f2p doenst matter anymore), they NEVER listen to their customers, their customer support is non existent, they dont even bother to test things before they launch it (yes, they have a test server, but again it is useless since the players are the ones who need to "test" everything in the live server, that will be not a problem if almost everything they launch is plagued by bugs). Im not going to play / invest money again in another cryptic game. Expand
  54. PaulC
    Feb 13, 2010
    I have played this for four days. Giving it a really good go , probably knocking up 25 hours play time, and I'm bored. So far it has been laggy (almost as bad as Champions) but mostly offers no reason that I have yet found to team up with another player. This could have been a single player game, for £30 it might have been worth it, a monthly fee for a single player experience I have played this for four days. Giving it a really good go , probably knocking up 25 hours play time, and I'm bored. So far it has been laggy (almost as bad as Champions) but mostly offers no reason that I have yet found to team up with another player. This could have been a single player game, for £30 it might have been worth it, a monthly fee for a single player experience is certainly not worth it. And the lag really does get to you. A quick flick to EvE or WoW and you are quickly reminded of how smooth and seamless multiplayer games should be. Not to mention they should be multi player! (durr) this game offers no reason that I have found in four days to intereact with other players at all. I love Star Trek, I don't like this game. I have cancelled my subs , but would love to be able to return in a few months with a better experience. At the moment your subs are paying for a Beta game to have the contents added that shouldbe there from the start - like any semblence of multiplayer for a start Expand
  55. PeterB
    Feb 16, 2010
    Trivial diffuculty, repetitive content, bugs and lacking server stability, canned copy and paste replies to support tickets totally missing the issue dominate, making it difficult to enjoy the game. After a week you have killed more Klingons and Romulans then aired on the show during the past 40 years. This got nothing to do with Star Trek, this is just a generic MMO grinder with Star Trivial diffuculty, repetitive content, bugs and lacking server stability, canned copy and paste replies to support tickets totally missing the issue dominate, making it difficult to enjoy the game. After a week you have killed more Klingons and Romulans then aired on the show during the past 40 years. This got nothing to do with Star Trek, this is just a generic MMO grinder with Star Trek skin. In fact it's not even realy MMO considering the first M standing for Massive. It's heavily instanced (Lobbies ~40 players, fleet action zones ~20 players and regular grinding zones 5 players). Expand
  56. AaronB
    Feb 10, 2010
    Very linear and repetitive content. Many places where you will be forced to repeat "exploration" (aka either combat with 5 vessels, or hitting the f key on 5 things) missions, or defend sector missions because of a clear lack of content. Re-playability? Not unless you ant to do the exact same linear line of quests ad nauseum. Space combat is beautiful, other than the 45 degree limitation Very linear and repetitive content. Many places where you will be forced to repeat "exploration" (aka either combat with 5 vessels, or hitting the f key on 5 things) missions, or defend sector missions because of a clear lack of content. Re-playability? Not unless you ant to do the exact same linear line of quests ad nauseum. Space combat is beautiful, other than the 45 degree limitation on pitching your ship. this is not a problem other than a few places that turn into a corkscrew fest flying maneuver. (See Ponor system which is designed 90 degrees and you can see Cryptic's shortsightedness) Ground combat is clunky and abysmal in comparison. When Atari has Elite Forces, why not just use that? Expand
  57. bc
    Feb 2, 2010
    **OPEN BETA REVIEW** Overall the game is fun and people who are fans that casually enjoy Star Trek and MMOs should enjoy this casual MMO. I played the open beta and found that it felt like a single player game with multiplayer added in for good measure; where the good measure means subscription costs of $15/monthly and the rights to DRM the game (i.e. change anything they want, add in **OPEN BETA REVIEW** Overall the game is fun and people who are fans that casually enjoy Star Trek and MMOs should enjoy this casual MMO. I played the open beta and found that it felt like a single player game with multiplayer added in for good measure; where the good measure means subscription costs of $15/monthly and the rights to DRM the game (i.e. change anything they want, add in micro transactions later, etc.) If this were marketed as a single player game without the subscription costs of $15/month I would pay a box price of $39.99. However, it is not and as such I will not be subscribing to STO. I do not feel that the amount of content is enough to keep my interest for many months while paying the subscription costs. To conclude: Fun game, but costs do not equal value. Expand
  58. ChrisL
    Feb 6, 2010
    This game is only skin deep and anyone playing more than a couple of days will realize it's value is very very shallow. It's sad to see such a great IP like Star Trek rushed out the door by a poor company like Cryptic, and you would have thought Cryptic learned their lesson after Champions Online bombed. We can only hope it gets better in the future. At the moment STO borders on This game is only skin deep and anyone playing more than a couple of days will realize it's value is very very shallow. It's sad to see such a great IP like Star Trek rushed out the door by a poor company like Cryptic, and you would have thought Cryptic learned their lesson after Champions Online bombed. We can only hope it gets better in the future. At the moment STO borders on fraud for how unfinished it is out of the box. Expand
  59. MadM
    Feb 11, 2010
    I've never played the game, but I can tell some of the positive reviews of it here are written by company employees or company employee impersonators. The company, Cryptic, should address the issues since I bet it is simply a matter of updating the game. I'll buy it in 6 months despite the horrendous snowstorm.
  60. NickE
    Feb 11, 2010
    The art is Beautiful and the ship models are very well done so the graphics people should be very proud, but that doesn't make up for the absolute lack of content, horribly buggy missions and constant server issues. This is NOT Star Trek by any means. It does NOT have any of the feel or immersion of ANY of the 40 years of the Star Trek franchise and has been a terrible disappointment The art is Beautiful and the ship models are very well done so the graphics people should be very proud, but that doesn't make up for the absolute lack of content, horribly buggy missions and constant server issues. This is NOT Star Trek by any means. It does NOT have any of the feel or immersion of ANY of the 40 years of the Star Trek franchise and has been a terrible disappointment for those that waited with baited breath for an MMO that would fill the love of Star Trek fans' dream of on online game. Save your money for something worth playing online.. STO is certainly NOT it. Once you get past the 'oh cool..it's Star Trek' honeymoon period, it reveals itself as a bland cookie-cutter semi-multiplayer game. Expand
  61. JayC
    Feb 17, 2010
    I loved the game until I reached the max level where there is sadly nothing to do. In total there's probably only two weeks of real gameplay in this game. PvP is severely lacking. The daily missions at end game, which there are too few, are by their repetitive nature boring. It's lack of depth leaves you wondering why you paid full box price for an incomplete mmo. Until they add I loved the game until I reached the max level where there is sadly nothing to do. In total there's probably only two weeks of real gameplay in this game. PvP is severely lacking. The daily missions at end game, which there are too few, are by their repetitive nature boring. It's lack of depth leaves you wondering why you paid full box price for an incomplete mmo. Until they add more content and complete this game, I would recommend against buying it unless it's under $20. Expand
  62. JacobB
    Feb 17, 2010
    Horrible game. Lacks depth, substance, a dynamic universe, re playability. The game has nothing going for it. Ground combat is clunky, space combat is lack luster. No risk for the reward. Absolutely nothing deserving of the score it has received from some of the other reviewers. They are obviously first time players as this game is not a MMO. You can find all the same features in this Horrible game. Lacks depth, substance, a dynamic universe, re playability. The game has nothing going for it. Ground combat is clunky, space combat is lack luster. No risk for the reward. Absolutely nothing deserving of the score it has received from some of the other reviewers. They are obviously first time players as this game is not a MMO. You can find all the same features in this game in your basic Game Spy Lobby game. There is nothing massive about restrictive instances and I believe Cryptic should be brought up on false advertisement charges for trying to pass the game off as a MMO. If Guildwars is not a MMO than STO is not either as they both use the same restrictive structure. I think I am being more than fair giving the game a 2, only because of the character creation and the alright graphics. Expand
  63. puffymanpurse
    Feb 2, 2010
    This game at it's present state is uneventful and drab. All of the naysayers of world of warcraft can go ahead and eat their hats. There isn't a game out or coming out that can top Blizzards MMO. They took what works and improved it 100 fold. Star Trek is another broken design with little reason to "go where no man has gone before". Save your money, or play wow.
  64. ChrisanneC
    Feb 25, 2010
    "Tons of potential" That's the phrase heard a lot in STO amongst it's players in game or on the forums. The game does have tons of potential, if it was currently in closed alpha testing I could be very semi excited for this game. Unfortunately STO is another MMO game released long before it was ready. I saw in a recent interview where a Cryptic developer was gloating about how "Tons of potential" That's the phrase heard a lot in STO amongst it's players in game or on the forums. The game does have tons of potential, if it was currently in closed alpha testing I could be very semi excited for this game. Unfortunately STO is another MMO game released long before it was ready. I saw in a recent interview where a Cryptic developer was gloating about how they created a MMO in under 2 years time, there lies the problem in STO. It feels exactly like a game that was developed in under 2 years time and those missing 2-3 years of proper development can really be felt once you see how bare bones STO is. Maybe a year or two from now STO could reach its full potential, but sadly I doubt anyone will be around to witness it after another botched MMO launch. Expand
  65. JimmyB
    Feb 25, 2010
    This is the worst ive ever seen... I seriously dont know where to begin... The game is not even half done and yet they want full price for it? AND a monthly sub even though its not an MMO? Its sad to see good people pay hard earned money for this kind of crap. Cryptic should be ashamed of themselves. This could have been a good game with two more years in development, but as it is right This is the worst ive ever seen... I seriously dont know where to begin... The game is not even half done and yet they want full price for it? AND a monthly sub even though its not an MMO? Its sad to see good people pay hard earned money for this kind of crap. Cryptic should be ashamed of themselves. This could have been a good game with two more years in development, but as it is right now its just ridiculously repetitive and empty. Its basicly four mission that you do over and over again and then the game ends. There is NOTHING to do at higher levels. Now they are waiting for people to resub so they can release a 45 day patch. (we all know why its 45 days and not 29 days, dont we?) It feels like a beta product that you have to pay full price for while the devs are developing the game, and actually, thats exactly how it is...! Its crazy. Never again a Cryptic product. (I gave it a 1 instead of the 0 i was thinking of giving it because the space combat was fun for a week). Expand
  66. JoelT
    Mar 1, 2010
    I love Star Trek, but I hate myself for having bought this game. I played the beta release and thought surely they'd iron out the bugs before the official release. I was wrong. There's nothing compelling or interesting about this game that makes me what to put up with the clumsy interface and lack of interactivity. I almost gave this game a zero, but gave it a one since it has a I love Star Trek, but I hate myself for having bought this game. I played the beta release and thought surely they'd iron out the bugs before the official release. I was wrong. There's nothing compelling or interesting about this game that makes me what to put up with the clumsy interface and lack of interactivity. I almost gave this game a zero, but gave it a one since it has a Star Trek theme. I was so ripped off by the purchase, but at least I'll not pay a dime for a subscription. Worst $50 I ever spent! Expand
  67. HowieG
    Mar 2, 2010
    The ground combat is not very good with some areas sporting eyeball blasting floor color schemes that leave you with a massive headache. Many quests are broken. The space combat is cool but repetitive and after about 10 battles you start wishing there was a way to bypass it. Speaking of space, it just doesn't "feel" like space. It's all far to small and planets and other objects The ground combat is not very good with some areas sporting eyeball blasting floor color schemes that leave you with a massive headache. Many quests are broken. The space combat is cool but repetitive and after about 10 battles you start wishing there was a way to bypass it. Speaking of space, it just doesn't "feel" like space. It's all far to small and planets and other objects seem tiny and much too close together. I don't like this game very much. Expand
  68. RodG
    Feb 11, 2010
    Terminally slow ship combat, dire ground battles, sketchy quests combined with a buggy interface ruin what could have been a great game. On entertainment value alone, this game just doesn't cut it and needs a massive overhaul if people are expected to continue paying their monthly fee. It's a pity as the premise offered a great alternative to the likes of WoW.
  69. JohnB
    Feb 11, 2010
    Unfinished, NOT Star Trek as 90% of the game is nothing but fighting. No crafting, housing or anything else that people come to expect. Worst this is this is NOT an MMO.... it's a 3D chat room with avatars used to for groups to go into private instances aka Guild Wars or DDO. The game was released unfinished yet Cryptic has the nerve to not only charge $15 a month but also put up a Unfinished, NOT Star Trek as 90% of the game is nothing but fighting. No crafting, housing or anything else that people come to expect. Worst this is this is NOT an MMO.... it's a 3D chat room with avatars used to for groups to go into private instances aka Guild Wars or DDO. The game was released unfinished yet Cryptic has the nerve to not only charge $15 a month but also put up a micro-transaction store in which you have to pay real money for some of the things missing in the game! If you buy this you are falling for their ruse.... just say no and move on! Expand
  70. JimB
    Feb 13, 2010
    Very fun Space Combat hampered by very simple difficulty. If you're not good at the "harder" levels of games in general, even you can be a god in STO's version of the galaxy. The developers have stated that they want to add a difficulty slider (like in Cryptic's STO template Champions Online), but like CO it will feel like a bolted on hack allowing you to choose between Very fun Space Combat hampered by very simple difficulty. If you're not good at the "harder" levels of games in general, even you can be a god in STO's version of the galaxy. The developers have stated that they want to add a difficulty slider (like in Cryptic's STO template Champions Online), but like CO it will feel like a bolted on hack allowing you to choose between stupid easy and pretty darn easy. The Ground Combat is generally simplistic, and again... easy. Coupled with endless bugs... it's pretty dismal overall. The remainder of the "decent" in this game is Character customization, which on a visual level is amazing, but in all other ways very shallow. There is no "Star Trek" in this game outside of looks, names and combat. No diplomacy. No exploration. Nothing Star Trek... just kill that, kill that and kill that. Where the bad really sets in is at a "server" level. They've made it so you don't have to choose a server by lumping everyone into the same "shard" (or cluster of servers acting as one)... but if this one shard starts having the inevitable hiccups that all MMO servers have periodically, it all goes down for everyone. It's a flawed design in a subscription service, and the people that sold the investors on it have done every subscriber a very large dis-service. Expand
  71. Feb 4, 2012
    An absolutely amazing game. Brilliant space combat, brilliant story, great community, great content. The events and Featured Episode Series, are especially good. Ground combat's a bit weak, but it's better than it was. It's getting more and more 'trek' by the day. And this is all free, so why would you not play?
  72. Feb 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. and the best game of my entire life!
    I tried it for years and gave maximum gaming experience!
    The greatest thing in the game and you can explore space! Game and virtually endless! With steam I understand much better the graphics are indeed the better! With steam game and very comfortable! Update are many! Game has a great future ahead of it!
  73. Feb 16, 2012
    THis game is awesome and since free to play started the population is swarming I personally bought this game at release. Great Game and no cost to you AWESOME
  74. Mar 13, 2012
    I have played this game since the BETA testing. I originally signed on because I am a huge Star Trek fan so naturally at first I was captivated by the lure of the Star Trek universe in an MMO. After playing for a few months this allure wore off and I realized that underneath STO was a flawed game. There was little in-game content outside of the basic missions and the PVP arenas wereI have played this game since the BETA testing. I originally signed on because I am a huge Star Trek fan so naturally at first I was captivated by the lure of the Star Trek universe in an MMO. After playing for a few months this allure wore off and I realized that underneath STO was a flawed game. There was little in-game content outside of the basic missions and the PVP arenas were constantly full, requiring you to wait at least an hour or more just to get into a match.

I am happy to say that since then, STO has vastly improved. There is a ton of mission content, more upgrades and customizations and crafting content and a lot of interesting side-missions. It is still not perfect, the missions get repetitive (as in all MMO's) and the PVP wait is still a long time. Overall, if you are a fan of Star Trek you will enjoy STO, especially since it is now free-to-play.
  75. Oct 12, 2012
    7 out of 10 But to be honest about 5 of that is just for it being Star Trek and holding onto most cannon very well. The Ship, Racial, Weapons, and astronomic designs are excellent. And the story is solid if you like reading pages and pages worth of dialog, and back story thru each mission. But it makes me giddy sometimes, remembering old episodes and stories and realizing I was7 out of 10 But to be honest about 5 of that is just for it being Star Trek and holding onto most cannon very well. The Ship, Racial, Weapons, and astronomic designs are excellent. And the story is solid if you like reading pages and pages worth of dialog, and back story thru each mission. But it makes me giddy sometimes, remembering old episodes and stories and realizing I was participating in that same universe.
    But the game itself despite drastic improvements since launch. Is very basic, bland rinse and repeat gaming, which is still a minefield of bugs and glitches. Ground combat is irritating, reminding me of a broken resident evil 1 turret control scheme, combined with ridiculously borked weapons, with stats, and skills, that mean nothing to the average gamer..
    The Space Combat is alright, its mostly what I play the game for now that I have level capped cause when you cap out there really isn't much left but PVE Events and Borg Missions. PvP is almost non existence going hours at a time without an instance starting sometimes. The space controls are excellent, it just takes awhile to get used to and realize a star ship doesn't steer like a smaller craft, Its like driving a bathtub in zero g. But once you practice a bit you can get some nice maneuverability, and sometimes intense dogfights. Which I enjoy very much.
    All in All this game is especially for people who already like Star Trek and are familiar with the various story lines from the TV series. Other wise this game is a solid 2 out of 10.
    Also Cryptic seriously needs to learn consistency when it comes to Markers for mission objectives, it would make things much less irritating. Objective Markers, a compass, something!!
  76. Jan 13, 2013
    GRIND GRIND GRIND!

GRIND GRIND GRIND!

I was so excited to finally be playing the famed Star Trek Series online. But after 3 months, the games fees very 2D... Very shallow, and very unworthy of the Star Trek title. The game amounts to grinding for weapons and upgrades and then attempting to take on elite battles against NPCs or other elite human players just to find out that the past 3 weeks of grinding to upgrade your weapons was not nearly enough... I have repeated this trend in the game 20-30 times and have had enough. OK, that sums up space combat...
    Now for ground combat. Is there anyone who does not think that diving behind cover should then allow the NPCs to continue to fire through the cover and kill you? Really? The engine is a hit or no hit engine without any critical hit areas defines on the body map of the player. So head shots mean nothing. Ground cover means nothing. Just grind grind grind to get a better weapon and hope that your skill set matches the mission you are about to take on for the 100th time...
    And wait! $200 for a lifetime membership to the game??? Really??? Good grief. I cant believe someone actually smoked crack and paid that much for this grind fest.
  77. Feb 13, 2013
    Star Trek? Check. Free to play? Check. Alien cleavage? Check. User generated missions? Check. Best space combat of any MMO? Check (sorry EVE). If you are a fan of Star Trek, EVE, free games, user generated content or even just a fan of alien cleavage, STO is worth taking a look at. Don't be turned away by the lackluster meta. This game is a few years old now and to their greatStar Trek? Check. Free to play? Check. Alien cleavage? Check. User generated missions? Check. Best space combat of any MMO? Check (sorry EVE). If you are a fan of Star Trek, EVE, free games, user generated content or even just a fan of alien cleavage, STO is worth taking a look at. Don't be turned away by the lackluster meta. This game is a few years old now and to their great credit the STO team has been busy adding more and more great content. P.S. I am not really a Star Trek fan. But I do think this is one of the best free to play games out there right now. Especially since the cash store is completely optional and not needed to enjoy all of the game's content and compete at the highest level of play. Props to Cryptic for that. Expand
  78. Feb 2, 2013
    The Best game ever, absolutely amazing. Very good graphics, feels just like a Star Trek game should. Large customization. The missions are really good, but I can see why people complain. YOU NEED TO READ THE STORY so it is good. I recommend it any day. Also I would have gave Star Trek Online a 7 a year ago, but the rate of progress is very good. Very strategic as well.
  79. Jun 3, 2013
    This game has become a scam, STAY away from it at all costs. I used to play with Cryptic Studios owned it and now that Perfect World Entertainment owns it they make it impossiable to connect/link your account to Perfect World Entertainment site and when you try to make a new account to USE your Cryptic account they say your email is attached to an already game account WITH THEM...then theyThis game has become a scam, STAY away from it at all costs. I used to play with Cryptic Studios owned it and now that Perfect World Entertainment owns it they make it impossiable to connect/link your account to Perfect World Entertainment site and when you try to make a new account to USE your Cryptic account they say your email is attached to an already game account WITH THEM...then they offer no help to solve the problem and want you to rebuy everything 4 times the prices and reown the game again. SCAM SCAM. keeping away from now on Expand
  80. Aug 18, 2013
    I wasn't a Star Trek fan so didn't think i would like the game, I couldn't be more wrong i loved it and its now been updated and is fully immersing, explore your ship, follow different paths in game, lots of missions and good pvp,ST has come a long way since its release you gotta try it
  81. Nov 8, 2013
    I had a blast playing this game. Over 200 hours+. From dancing in the clubs to flying my own custom ships (Attack ships forever!!) to the away missions, the game is a TON of fun and be played completely for Free!!
    A great game from Perfect World.
  82. Nov 23, 2013
    I highly recommend this game (even if you are not a star trek fan) It is my favourite MMO and I play a lot of MMOs, and is one of the few of which where you do not need to pay real money to be good at the game.
  83. Nov 30, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. The new features they have added make it an even more enjoyable game than EVER before. Doing some missions seem a complete waste of time, but the episodes are thoroughly enjoyable.
  84. Jan 24, 2014
    I have found this game beyond enjoyable. I have spend hours a day for months playing this game, and I still have yet to have it cease to amaze me. Other than some of the missions in the chapters being a royal pain, this is the best and most realistic Star Trek Game and the best for a true Star Trek fans.
  85. Apr 24, 2014
    As games go this is one that should be used as a great idea turned into a dismal failure. Instead of fixing the bugs and glitches which are numerous they decided to add more content, and forget about writing them a stern note on the bugs you have, they appear to be deaf as well as incompetent.
  86. May 14, 2014
    Star Trek: Online is constantly being updated and improved and it's mostly a changed game from when it was first released. Space combat is awesome, missions are awesome, graphics and music are awesome.

I highly recommend Star Trek: Online to anyone.
  87. Nov 23, 2014
    The best parts of this game come from the implementation of the intellectual property. The star ship and ground combat is fun but typically not well integrated beyond the core story missions. The end game content mostly includes instanced and battle ground play. If the game was not saddled with a developer hell beat on burying it and soaking the players for all they can get while diggingThe best parts of this game come from the implementation of the intellectual property. The star ship and ground combat is fun but typically not well integrated beyond the core story missions. The end game content mostly includes instanced and battle ground play. If the game was not saddled with a developer hell beat on burying it and soaking the players for all they can get while digging the hole, I could recommend it. It is free-to-play so by all means try it, but avoid spending any money whatsoever. I have almost a thousand hours into this game so I do enjoy it but do not expect the developers to consider you beyond your pocket book. There are so many other games that will give you a higher quality experience with better treatment, and it is only a short matter of time before I walk away from this one. Expand
  88. Oct 2, 2015
    WARNING! this game (Star trek Online) has massive amounts of bugs in it. The game is constantly crashing computers/pc's, logging off players, missing items, support staff or lack-there-of not being of any help. EVERY week, there are issues w/ the game. At least once a week. The game becomes too repetitive due to the fact that its memory fails, so you will have to repeat the sameWARNING! this game (Star trek Online) has massive amounts of bugs in it. The game is constantly crashing computers/pc's, logging off players, missing items, support staff or lack-there-of not being of any help. EVERY week, there are issues w/ the game. At least once a week. The game becomes too repetitive due to the fact that its memory fails, so you will have to repeat the same missions, over and over again in order to advanced. Do not spend your money......I doubt these issues are going to get fixed anytime soon. Furthermore, do not play on a laptop. A fellow gamer made the mistake of playing Star Trek online on his Laptop and burned out his video card. Due to certain episodes being un-neccessarily long. Unfortunately, Arc/perfect world is running this franchise. Unless you absolutely need your Star trek fix, don't bother w/this game. Im beginning to regret ever starting it. Star trek online is more trouble than its worth Expand
  89. Nov 8, 2015
    The only positives this game has going for it are the ship models. The negatives start with the developer itself, Cryptic, known here after as Craptic. Craptic is just a horrible developer company with really bad customer service. They have 0 QA, their marketing deliberately misleads players in effort to get them to spend real money for their underwhelming video game items, and theirThe only positives this game has going for it are the ship models. The negatives start with the developer itself, Cryptic, known here after as Craptic. Craptic is just a horrible developer company with really bad customer service. They have 0 QA, their marketing deliberately misleads players in effort to get them to spend real money for their underwhelming video game items, and their customer service teams are basically paid to tell the customers "sorry, can't help you" when they run into a problem with STO.

The game itself is fraught with bugs, some of which have been around since the game launched. Not that I'm expecting perfection, but at least some effort towards remediation would be deserved.

Graphically, the game is unimpressive. STO has decent ship models but that's as far as it goes. The effects and animations are pretty lousy, like something I would expect from a 1990's video game. Game play is on par with the animations, unlike other MMO's, there's no strategy or tactics really to using abilities. You can just use ingame macro abilities to cycle every active ability you have as soon as its available and you've got a game where all you're doing is pressing a single key repeatedly.

Bottom line is, for me, that Craptic isn't worthy of getting my hard earned cash. The only reason that STO has a player base at all is because its Star Trek, and not even close to canon Star Trek at that. Really do wish someone else would come along and make a real Star Trek game. It'd be better than this crap...
  90. BrianN
    Feb 6, 2010
    The best thing going for this game is the character creation at the very start of the game. You can change almost everything about your character's face and body, even your uniform color scheme. From there it goes down hill. Ground combat is glitchy and dull. You spend the entire time pressing one or two buttons over and over. Space combat is similar but without a group of 4 NPCs The best thing going for this game is the character creation at the very start of the game. You can change almost everything about your character's face and body, even your uniform color scheme. From there it goes down hill. Ground combat is glitchy and dull. You spend the entire time pressing one or two buttons over and over. Space combat is similar but without a group of 4 NPCs following you for help. Instead now you press "fire all weapons" over and over while spinning in circles. Quests are dull and lifeless. Differences in quest types are very few. You're constantly fighting the same kinds of ships and ground enemies. There is little to no change in the game, and I played until level 30 or so. Ship tier customization is a joke. Personal class choices are a joke and don't really affect you in space but they do a little bit on the ground. The entire MMO is a cluster of instances with no real base. The way you travel is through a bland and near empty tactical map, traveling from one instance to another. Horrible game, horrible MMO, horrible score. It only gets a 4 because the game was fun for the first 30 minutes. What you see in 30 mins. is what the game is, just repeated over more dull levels. Expand
  91. OpakB
    Feb 3, 2010
    Ship combat is quite fun when you get the hang of the controls. The rest however needs quite a bit of work to be enjoyable. Ground combat is just plain boring. It should have been called Star Trek at war online. Its missing more of the "to boldly go" than the shows.
  92. HansN
    Feb 6, 2010
    Fairly awesome if you happen to be a trekkie. The game has it's issues, and you'll be dissappointed if you are looking for 'the next WoW', but the game - aside from a number of bugs I have no doubt Cryptic will fix - looks nice, feels nice, and really does make me feel I've stepped into the Star Trek universe. Just hoping Cryptic will continue to invest in it and Fairly awesome if you happen to be a trekkie. The game has it's issues, and you'll be dissappointed if you are looking for 'the next WoW', but the game - aside from a number of bugs I have no doubt Cryptic will fix - looks nice, feels nice, and really does make me feel I've stepped into the Star Trek universe. Just hoping Cryptic will continue to invest in it and keep adding content/fixing bugs. I give it an 8 because I do find some of the ground missions a bit dull. Expand
  93. DanielT
    Feb 7, 2010
    Has some good bits such as the large fleet battles but the missions are just too repetitive at the moment and everything feels a bit rushed and unfinished to me. Could have done with a few more months in development to make it a more satisfying experience in my opinion.
  94. BillM
    Feb 5, 2010
    This is a mediocre game at best. Gameplay isn't that great, space battles become repetitive and boring after a few hours. Ground warfare looks like a bad Sega Genesis game and is bugged to all hell. I highly don't recommend this game. Wait until they offer a free trial or something.
  95. AlbertS
    Feb 5, 2010
    I am seriously, seriously disappointed. Cryptic Studious should be ashamed of this catastrophe. It's like playing a game thats in Beta testing stage and needs serious overhauls before it becomes enjoyable. They shouldn't be charging people to play this, they should be PAYING them to play! The lag, the bugs, the bland missions, the non-satisfying PVP!!! Maybe in a year or so it I am seriously, seriously disappointed. Cryptic Studious should be ashamed of this catastrophe. It's like playing a game thats in Beta testing stage and needs serious overhauls before it becomes enjoyable. They shouldn't be charging people to play this, they should be PAYING them to play! The lag, the bugs, the bland missions, the non-satisfying PVP!!! Maybe in a year or so it might be worth trying...but if your eager to play and you don't believe me: go ahead and try it, but you have been warned!!! Expand
  96. Bobd
    Feb 6, 2010
    Another great idea, another total fail by Cryptic. They keep repackaging their craptastic graphics engine and zero contentent PvE in every game they release. Seriously It is a shame they got to use the Star Trek license. As always Cryptic wants you to pay them to release old smelly code.
  97. Jul 18, 2012
    Frankly, I wish I'd discovered this game sooner... But I suppose then I would have purchased some kind of lifetime subscription, rather than benefiting from the fact that it's free-to-play.

Gameplay is split between ship-based and character-based settings. In space, you command your starship as you explore the galaxy and engage in ship-to-ship battles. You can customize your ship

Gameplay is split between ship-based and character-based settings.

In space, you command your starship as you explore the galaxy and engage in ship-to-ship battles. You can customize your ship both visually and functionally - equipping various weapons and gadgets, as well as tweaking the appearance of your ship.

On the ground, you command a small away-team as you battle your way through enemy forces or simply explore an interesting planet. Tons of cosmetic options are available to change the look of your character as well as the rest of your bridge officers. And there's also weapons and armor to wear into battle.

Gameplay does a terrific job of mirroring the franchise. It isn't just all-combat, all the time. Missions might involve delivering supplies to a planet in need, or surveying some unusual readings, or traveling through time to un-do alterations to the timeline.

The graphics are good... But not outstanding. The game has been out for a while now, and the engine is starting to show its age. Nothing bad, mind you, but it isn't as spectacular as some more recent titles.

Where the visuals simply shine is in their accuracy. Everything looks like it should. It's immediately obvious that you're playing a Star Trek game. And, further obvious that you're in a Federation environment rather than a Klingon one, or Romulan. They all look very distinctive. All look just like they should.

The sounds, similarly, perfectly match what you'd expect from the franchise. The hum of a tractor beam, the whine of phasors, the twinkle of transporters. It's all there. And it's all exactly like it should be.

The game is free-to-play now, which means there's no monthly subscription. But that also means there's plenty of things to spend money on. Inventory expansions, cosmetic options for your characters, specialty ships, more character slots, bonus XP... It'd be very easy to spend an awful lot of money in this game.

But, at the same time, there are no real barriers to progress. There's an awful lot that you can spend money on... But there really isn't much that you have to spend money on. It's perfectly reasonable to play all the way up to level cap without spending one cent.

As of the time of this review, Star Trek Online is still seeing active development, with Episode Six having just been released last week. Lots of changes and new content. Plenty to keep the game interesting.

Definitely worth checking out.
  98. Oct 12, 2013
    This game has about 4 good points to it, but none of them are enough to make me play this game anymore than the 20 levels I've gone through. Space combat is fun if not repetitive. PVP is challenging and rewarding. The Foundry, player made content, is better (much better) than the developer content. And ships, lots and lots of ships and customizations (most you must pay cash for).This game has about 4 good points to it, but none of them are enough to make me play this game anymore than the 20 levels I've gone through. Space combat is fun if not repetitive. PVP is challenging and rewarding. The Foundry, player made content, is better (much better) than the developer content. And ships, lots and lots of ships and customizations (most you must pay cash for). Everything else just doesn't matter.

This game has a lot of detail, unfortunately most of it is useless filler. What isn't filler is unorganized, inefficient and boring. Especially ground missions which is running through a series of hallway connected rooms activating consoles and fighting groups of enemies. Or you in a small area outside on some planet doing the same. This formula is pretty much the main aspect of ground play. Regardless of WHAT you have to do the formula to do it the same.

If you like PVP, play this game, if you don't like PvP you won't get much from this game unless you're a diehard Star Trek fan that just wants ANYTHING Star Trek.
  99. Dec 5, 2012
    I had lots of fun and ended up logging over 100 hours in this game (when it was still a pay to play title no less!). The space and story line is well done, but ground battles are terrible. Really should have just done FPS mechanics on the ground and stuck to their well made space battles. Missing some depth in space as well as far as gameplay, but overall pretty fun. Thinking aboutI had lots of fun and ended up logging over 100 hours in this game (when it was still a pay to play title no less!). The space and story line is well done, but ground battles are terrible. Really should have just done FPS mechanics on the ground and stuck to their well made space battles. Missing some depth in space as well as far as gameplay, but overall pretty fun. Thinking about going back maybe in the new year and check out some new episodes! Graphics were also well done, but could have been better. Expand
  100. Feb 28, 2012
    I've been playing Star Trek Online for around eighteen months now and so I've been able to watch the game grow into the behemoth it has become. I burned through all the content on my first character too fast for my taste, but the update release structure has ensured I keep returning.

Every few months, Cryptic releases a new "Season" which contain new missions and storylines, remastered older missions and various new features such as shuttles, new locations etc. We are currently on Season 5, and the game is now Free to Play. There is now more than enough content to satisfy a player, and the stories keep the missions from feeling repetitive.

I'm not going to pretend STO doesn't suffer from what RPGs and MMORPGs in particular all suffer from, but they hide it well. Grinding is buried as new missions in new sectors and systems, end game content is limited but its focus on team play brings you back for more.

The developers also release "Feature Series" missions, which are weekly released missions set in a short (five-week) campaign. Playing through the missions on their release week entitles players to new loot which may not be available later on, although Feature Series are re-released a few months later.

My initial interest in STO came from back in the days I used to mod Star Trek: Bridge Commander, possibly to last good game based on the Star Trek canon. As such, it was the idea of flying my ship around the galaxy that initially had me parting with my cash. The free-roam "galaxy is your oyster" mentality is what I wanted from the game, and that has been achieved remarkably well.

For Trek fans, the story in STO links back to the TV series and films, with characters and events being referenced or popping up occasionally within the game. Cryptic has set STO 40 years after the last prime-universe film, and has carefully written the history bridging the two. They have also taken references from the Pocket Books, with one character in particular emerging later on.

As with any MMO, PvP is an option for players, though not required for those who would prefer to go in peace. Each mission pits players against each other to either kill or achieve objectives against a third AI opponent.

Missions can be played either solo or in teams, with team play becoming much more prominent at end game and PvE missions against fleets of enemies.

Star Trek Online is continually evolving at a much faster pace than other MMOs, and the developers always listen to what the players have to say. It's far from a perfect game, but it is the best Star Trek game and, for me at least, the only MMO I've been able to enjoy for more than a few hours.

1. This is as fine a[n] homage to one of Sci-fi's great franchises a[s] you can get in an MMO format.
  2. Despite all of these complaints, those hordes of starship captains are quite happy. They may not have many different things to do, and the missions and UI may be rather buggy, but there does seem to be enough content to sustain them - at least until the endgame - and even at its worst that content is knockabout fun with more instant appeal, and more suitability for casual, short-session, low-commitment play than most MMOs.
  3. It is one of the worthier options among the titles which try to compete with WoW, and the one that has convinced us the most to date.