8.4

1. JeremyE.
    May 5, 2007
    A very unworthy sequel to the original. The gameplay was much improved, with all the item creation aspects being really pretty dang cool. And the graphics and such were pretty much exactly like the first, so I didn't really have any problem with that. The problem was that while the first game delivered an incredible story, this one barely had any story whatsoever. By the end of the A very unworthy sequel to the original. The gameplay was much improved, with all the item creation aspects being really pretty dang cool. And the graphics and such were pretty much exactly like the first, so I didn't really have any problem with that. The problem was that while the first game delivered an incredible story, this one barely had any story whatsoever. By the end of the game, I felt like the story had been put in place by a group of kids doing a school project or something. It was such a disappointment to see the KoToR legend almost certainly killed in this way. Expand
  2. JonPlummer
    Feb 10, 2005
    Looks like a great game. Story line is completting and while the graphics are a bit sub-par by today's standards, they get the job done. This is essentially the same game engine as the first game which I would give a 10 out of 10 any day of the week. Here's the thing - It's buggy, really buggy to the point where I have given up until a patch. That just is not acceptable,Looks like a great game. Story line is completting and while the graphics are a bit sub-par by today's standards, they get the job done. This is essentially the same game engine as the first game which I would give a 10 out of 10 any day of the week. Here's the thing - It's buggy, really buggy to the point where I have given up until a patch. That just is not acceptable, especially considering the engine is essentially the same. Wait for the patch! before attempting this game. I give it a 6 based on the promise it shows. I hope I'm right when I can eventually play it. Expand
  3. Aug 16, 2011
    KOTOR 2 has the misfortune of being named after an outstanding game. If it was a completely different Star Wars game it probably would have a better place in my heart but because it failed to live up to the expectations of its predecessor it will forever be doomed to sub-par. But even disregarding those failed expectations the game is simply average. Combat The melee combat is automaticKOTOR 2 has the misfortune of being named after an outstanding game. If it was a completely different Star Wars game it probably would have a better place in my heart but because it failed to live up to the expectations of its predecessor it will forever be doomed to sub-par. But even disregarding those failed expectations the game is simply average. Combat The melee combat is automatic and aside from occasional force spells is not very engrossing. The force spells are interesting and Force Lightning is always a blast but the melee feels like it could be done without you. If you started fighting and went to make a cup of tea the game might automatically win the fight for you before the kettle dings. You are really only needed for the more difficult fights and to move your characters from one encounter to the next. The main satisfaction is derived from waving around lightsabers.

Dialogue
    There is enough dialogue to fill a book the size of War and Peace or a washer manual but instead of a plethora of well defined characters like Tolsky's masterpiece you find yourself talking to a washer manual with as much character as the soapy water within it. In the beginning there is plenty of people to meet but eventually you can predict what a characters next plot point will be 10 hours before it happens. I called the antagonist from the moment I met them and it was just a matter of time before my predictions were confirmed by their betrayal.

Story
    In KOTOR you are a Sith Lord. In KOTOR 2 you are an old soldier. Why does the story need to exist? Who are you saving? What is your motivation? Why cant I just wave my lightsaber around for 20 hours? All these questions are unfortunately left unanswered and even unacknowledged. The plot is simply a device to move the character from one lightsaber battle to the next. I think the game wanted a character that anyone could relate to, a person with no outstanding qualities or past accomplishments that the player could then mold into an ultimate bad-ass. But there is no quest to save the galaxy or even defeat someone who is remotely capable of destroying a planet. You are simply a nobody who is trapped in the story of a nobody.

In conclusion the only selling point of this game is the lightsabers. If you want to fantasize about yourself holding with a glowing hot stick then go for this game and skip all the dialogue and character interaction. But if you are looking for an engrossing and interactive game that will enhance your appreciation of the Star Wars universe then look elsewhere.
  4. RaelShadow
    May 11, 2005
    This game is a tough one to review because 75% of the game is great. Problem is...that last 25% is really, really bad...and made all the more painful by that wonderful first 75%...kind of like ice cream that tastes wonderful when it hits your tongue and swirls around your mouth...but right before you swallow, it sours and leaves you with an awful aftertaste. On the good side, the story This game is a tough one to review because 75% of the game is great. Problem is...that last 25% is really, really bad...and made all the more painful by that wonderful first 75%...kind of like ice cream that tastes wonderful when it hits your tongue and swirls around your mouth...but right before you swallow, it sours and leaves you with an awful aftertaste. On the good side, the story (um...except for that last 25% part) is interesting. The characters are more deeply developed. I like the new Influence factor, where you gain influence with characters enabling your light/dark shift to have a greater impact on their light/dark shift. The voice acting is good and the sounds effects are great. Put it this way...if I rated this game after playing about 75% of it, I would give it a 9. Then came the last 25%. The problem is that the game has these various plot lines...which are completely and utterly ignored at the end of the game. I mean...what is it with HK-47 and T4-M3? What is up with the voice lock on the navcomputer? What about the HK-50's - where are they coming from? And what happened to the rest of my crew? All this...and MUCH MUCH more...is left dangling. I imagine it would be like reading two-thirds of a good Tom Clancy novel, turning the page and reading, "And they all lived happily ever after...the end." In other words, when you get to the end of the game...go ahead and take a breath....sit back...and wait for the final closing cut-scene to bring everything together...and I guarantee....30 seconds later, you will be yelling at your monitor asking, "Is that it? Is that all there is?" Also, I should mention that the bad guys are incredibly easy to beat. My Sentinel would simply force up to Knight Speed, take 2 or 3 swings, and the fight would be over...and this was against the toughest opponents at the end of the game. NOTE: I should mention that I seemed to get more information about the plot playing the dark side than I did the light side...not much more, mind you, but more nonetheless. So...I give the game a 6 because 75% of the game is a 9, but the last 25% of the game is a 1 or 2...and that comes out to around 6. It is a game of such great potential with a totally, absolutely, incredibly unsatisfying ending. Expand
  5. JohnM.
    Feb 16, 2005
    Not bad, just exactly the same game as KotOR 1. And the RPG element is virtually nonexistant, as you're apparently given tons of options but in the end the results are about the same. Like the lightsaber setup options, their impact in the game is nonexistant. Good eye-candy, but using the same engine as the first game (after we've seen FarCry, Doom3, HL2 etc) makes it look dated Not bad, just exactly the same game as KotOR 1. And the RPG element is virtually nonexistant, as you're apparently given tons of options but in the end the results are about the same. Like the lightsaber setup options, their impact in the game is nonexistant. Good eye-candy, but using the same engine as the first game (after we've seen FarCry, Doom3, HL2 etc) makes it look dated and kinda shabby. Expand
  6. JimmusMaximus
    Feb 14, 2005
    Extremely mediocre. Couldn't this just have been an expansion pack? Same game mechanics, same mini-games, same "amnesiac"-style plot-lines, different game name. Sure, they added a few saber and melee moves, but it feels just like the first one. Control interface is just as simplistic and inflexible as the first game, too. At least with NeverWinter Nights, you had three or four Extremely mediocre. Couldn't this just have been an expansion pack? Same game mechanics, same mini-games, same "amnesiac"-style plot-lines, different game name. Sure, they added a few saber and melee moves, but it feels just like the first one. Control interface is just as simplistic and inflexible as the first game, too. At least with NeverWinter Nights, you had three or four movement options available. Not a bad game, to be sure, but brings very little new to the table. Disappointing. Expand
  7. May 5, 2014
    I really enjoyed the original KOTOR, and look back on my time playing it fondly. I wish I could say the same for its sequel.
    While some gameplay improvements were made over the first, a glaring lack of likeable characters (everyone seems engineered to be "neutral" with obviously forced good/evil elements), and a narrative that fails to come to a real conclusion make this edition very disappointing. Kreia is a fascinating character, so it really is tragic that the developers obviously ran out of time or money and never completed a proper climactic ending to this game and story arc.
  8. KCL.
    Mar 6, 2005
    Its a good game, but I really must say I'm somewhat disappointed by it, the graphics being slightly obsolete as come critics have claimed didn't really occured to me as so, but I really kinda feel the story lacked quite a bit of substance and balancing. The first KOTOR pulled you a lot deeper into the story than this one. The game was unsatisfyingly short, upon finishing the Its a good game, but I really must say I'm somewhat disappointed by it, the graphics being slightly obsolete as come critics have claimed didn't really occured to me as so, but I really kinda feel the story lacked quite a bit of substance and balancing. The first KOTOR pulled you a lot deeper into the story than this one. The game was unsatisfyingly short, upon finishing the last boss it was only 33.5hours. The ending cinematic really was a let down, I played all the way till the end to see some uneventful 10 second low quality video clip!? But all in all. this is really a decent buy, despite all these bad things i've been saying, it really got 7 because the gameplay made a high cut. Waiting for thrid sequel, hope its gonna fill up all these rooms for improvement. Expand
  9. Dec 15, 2010
    wow bioware dropped the ball on this one . the first knights game is fantastic this one just doesnt deliver in many ways . first off the story just isnt that intresting . the choices you make have no baring on the ending of the game unlike the first one. light sabers are a extreme pain to find . the chocie selection for talking just isnt as intresting or as funny as what the original onewow bioware dropped the ball on this one . the first knights game is fantastic this one just doesnt deliver in many ways . first off the story just isnt that intresting . the choices you make have no baring on the ending of the game unlike the first one. light sabers are a extreme pain to find . the chocie selection for talking just isnt as intresting or as funny as what the original one was eather which is a shame because i laughed my ass off at some of the things you could say in the first one . the games pacing just drags on and on . this game feels very rushed to make some money off the greatness of the original its a shame this is just amediocore RPG. Expand
  10. Oct 23, 2010
    A shame Bioware did not work on this sequel. It shows and I wish I never played it. Just forget this sequel exists and wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic hehe.
  11. Dec 30, 2012
    Reviewing this game is complex.
    At first you'll think this is only a sad and buggy re-rash of the previous title; because of similar characters (like HK-47) and similar stories (the amnesiac jedi aboard a ship). And gosh how this game start bad, you are thrown in a repetitive and bland dungeon, doing meaningless quests.
    But then the game open up and you see a lot of qualities unseen in
    Reviewing this game is complex.
    But then the game open up and you see a lot of qualities unseen in the previous title.
    If Kotor 1 had a intense macro plot involving everything, but forced conversations with characters (for example, a character would bring a talk about his parents only to develop background) and an often unilateral representation of the world , Kotor 2 offers the opposite: the bigger plot isn't all that relevant or entertaining, but the characters are great and their personalities amazing. Some lines of Kreia and Handmaiden are writer's material, and it's a relief to finally see someone being original and playing with moral and ethical dicothomies in the Star Wars universe, an universe so hungry of this.
    The downside is that Kotor 2 is an incomplete game with a lot of wasted potential, besides the fact that, unlike Kotor 1, you can't really enjoy all the social interation with characters due of the inexorable influence system; if you mistreat a character once you may never be able to interact fully with him again.
    Play this game as weekend casual rpg and you won't disappointed. Also don't forget to install the mods.
    If any bug happens, see the bright side: at least you are not playing a game with bioware level of writing.
  12. Aug 24, 2014
    Kotor 2 has a lot of fanboys that make the game out to be way better than it actually is.

The problem with the game is that you basically have to talk to your companions to get a good idea of what exactly is going on. If you don't you'll get to the end and will wonder "what just happened" because of how poorly explained many things are in the game. What some people call the

What some people call the "richness" of the characters is really just making up for the otherwise sloppy writing and game development.

The game was left by Obsidian in a totally unfinished state. There are parts of the game where they clearly intended to add more, but didn't. The final area is an example of this.

There is considerably less to explore in this game compared to the first game, and it is much more linear. Also you are never going to be awed by a richly created background on a planet like Manaan. Nope, instead you get a lot of very bland areas like Nar Shadaa and Telos. Nar Shadaa was especially disappointing as the enemy you fight there is probably the least interesting boss in both KOTOR 1 and 2, and the quests you do on the planet are cartoonish at best.

The balancing is also frankly laughable, as the additional force powers and advanced classes that they add to the game make it so that enemies are barely even scratching you. The pretty much make your jedi a god by the end, which makes it just not particularly fun if you are looking for any kind of challenge.

Ohh and then there are the bugs. The game is full of them, to the point where FANS HAD TO PATCH IT. Even then you only have to go onto other places like the Steam forums to see how many problems people have in trying to either get the game to work or to not crash when they enter their ship or go to a new area.

Overall it is inferior to KOTOR, even if KOTOR has a cartoonish final boss itself.
  13. Jul 1, 2014
    It is a fantastic game, great and well designed environment, greatly improved upon from KOTOR, and a truly immersive story. I truly felt like I was the exile, deciding the fate of myself, unfortunates whom I attempted to aid, or not, and the fate of the galaxy as a whole. My issues with the game are primarily with the vast array of bugs, with the environment, enemies and the story.It is a fantastic game, great and well designed environment, greatly improved upon from KOTOR, and a truly immersive story. I truly felt like I was the exile, deciding the fate of myself, unfortunates whom I attempted to aid, or not, and the fate of the galaxy as a whole. My issues with the game are primarily with the vast array of bugs, with the environment, enemies and the story. There were several times where the decisions I made in conversations left me stuck perpetually, unable to move on with the game, until I loaded a previous save state. The worst was of course with Atris, and this same problem has been recorded my many other players. Choosing one conversation line leads to no story progression, while others work just fine.

All in all, a really great game, held back by the many apparent bugs in the game.
  14. MikeR.
    Feb 19, 2005
    A really good, deep game but too much like the original. There are also rather a lot of bugs (including some rather nasty ones) that the "a" patch didn't cure...
  15. DaveG.
    Mar 4, 2005
    Yes the game is great just as the first one was. But there's no question it is rushed! The game gets a 7 because it is good, but its only 90% finished. I've never payed this much to beta test a game! The developers were doing a good job, but the project managers or the jerks who run the show didn't let them finish the game! Selling this game before it is finished for full Yes the game is great just as the first one was. But there's no question it is rushed! The game gets a 7 because it is good, but its only 90% finished. I've never payed this much to beta test a game! The developers were doing a good job, but the project managers or the jerks who run the show didn't let them finish the game! Selling this game before it is finished for full price is bordering on criminal. The Obsidianites could at least own up to the fact that the game wasn't *quite* ready and work doubletime on some patches. Expand
  16. JB
    Aug 11, 2006
    A disappointing sequel to one of the greatest crpgs of all time. The storyline is overly philosophical, slowing the game down in a universe that has always screamed 'action!'. The side games, which had great prevalence in the original (and were very fun there) are here watered down and inane. As a fan of both Planescape:Torment and KOTOR I, I would have to say that the former A disappointing sequel to one of the greatest crpgs of all time. The storyline is overly philosophical, slowing the game down in a universe that has always screamed 'action!'. The side games, which had great prevalence in the original (and were very fun there) are here watered down and inane. As a fan of both Planescape:Torment and KOTOR I, I would have to say that the former does mental stimulation better and the latter conveys a sense of adventure better than this game. The actual gameplay mechanics, etc., are great, but that indescribable sense of fun that existed in KOTOR and PS:T is missing here. Expand
  17. DavidB.
    Feb 24, 2005
    Don't you just hate the conversations that go round in circles. Don't you just hate the conversations that go round in circles. Don't you just hate the conversations that go round in circles. Don't you just hate the conversations that go round in circles. Don't you just hate the conversations that go round in circles. [Ed: yes]
  18. MasterBoredom
    May 14, 2009
    Forced. Knights of the Old Republic II suffers, in short, from being in the shadow of it's predecessor's brilliance. When the former not only brought to life the Star Wars world better than any previous game, but also managed to combine PC RPG stats and dice with Console RPG storytelling, it did so almost unexpectedly. KotOR threatened to be far less than the sum of its parts, Forced. Knights of the Old Republic II suffers, in short, from being in the shadow of it's predecessor's brilliance. When the former not only brought to life the Star Wars world better than any previous game, but also managed to combine PC RPG stats and dice with Console RPG storytelling, it did so almost unexpectedly. KotOR threatened to be far less than the sum of its parts, and when it turned out to more, much more, its success was guaranteed. Unfortunately, that first game, but for a few tiny control issues, really didn't leave much to be improved upon. Taking up the motto of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", the developers subsequently created something that feels more like a hefty expansion, rather than a true sequel. New story, slightly altered levelling up system, but all within the same shell. Unfortunately, the game fails to match its predecessor on several of these levels. Firstly, the combat and skill related section of KOTOR II lacks the balance of the first game. Certain fights in the first game were genuinely difficult, and frequently your choice of skills and party members only opened doors at the expense of others being shut. In contrast, from the outset of KOTOR II, it is easy to have a party capable of accomplishing everything and kicking ass to boot. A carefully constructed jedi is quite capable of destroying even the toughest enemies on their own, and several of the other party members (or yourself, if you choose) can cover ALL of the skills needs you'll ever have, while remaining quite combat capable. The satisfaction of levelling up becomes muted as the game wears on, and towards the end begins to feel rather meaningless. Secondly, the interactions between your fellow party members and yourself, while still a cut above most rival games, never reaches the brilliance of the first game. Ultimately, despite the game's efforts, the brilliance of Bastila, Carth and Mission is not replicated, and instead we end up with characters who range from the flat to the outright dislikeable. This is coupled with a well intentioned system of converting followers to the light or dark sides, which while a promising idea ultimately serves to replace rather than support the "it looks like something is bothering ____" of the first game. Rather than developing, the game instead seems to pour all the character's stories into initially accessible paths and abandon them for the endgame. Indeed, the game also includes a rather bizarre continued conflict between two NPCs that might well not feature in the player's plans. Finally, the story itself borders upon weak, though it likely suffers again from the impact of its predecessor here. The pacing of the game, certainly, is poor, and the game seems to drag for large periods without any injection of urgency or a strong wider goal. When the endgame does approach, it is thrown on almost unexpectedly. This combines with the game's enemies, who, after appearing deeply menacing when we first meet them, and radiating a sense of power, proceed to fall like bowling pins so quickly at the end, that you're left expecting revivals that do not come. This is a shame, because while characters like Darth Malak and Darth Revan (KotOR) might have been impossible to best, the game initially appears to have matched them. Frankly, KotOR II's concepts deserve far better than the game delivers. It isn't all doom and gloom, though. The sensation that this is KotOR 1.5 will probably be welcomed by most, and although the game doesn't match it's predecessor, you would be hard pressed to accuse KotOR II of being the cash-in it might have been. Some of the dialogue is genuinely brilliant and there are many pleasing little concepts in the storyline. And it is another replication of those wonderful star-wars worlds, which is always appreciated. My final gripe with the game, concerns the way the story progresses from it's predecessor. It would have been nice if the game could have absorded some details of what happened in the player's previous outing, but instead we have a hotch-potch amalgamation of the potential light/dark paths ventured last time around. Indeed, given the options available in the previous game, it is disappointing to see a story told where the actions of my character seemed completely contradicted. The ending, in particular, is very unsatisfying, and seems to cater for only one path of play. Frankly, the story of the second game is best ignored when thinking about the series. KotOR II remains an acceptable RPG romp, but fails to deliver to the level of it's predecessor. Ultimately, it fails to reach the benchmarks in gameplay, story and characterization of the first game, and though fans will welcome the extension of the series there is no doubt that it will take more to acheive the success of the first game. Expand
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    First of all, as released I'd give this title 3/10: this game is unplayable in places due to bugs glitches. Considering this and a storyline cut short to the point of nonsense, I played through this once and felt very let down in light of the original. Then I found a "Kotor 2, restored content mod" which added in aspects of the game that were left in the data files but unimplemented forFirst of all, as released I'd give this title 3/10: this game is unplayable in places due to bugs glitches. Considering this and a storyline cut short to the point of nonsense, I played through this once and felt very let down in light of the original. Then I found a "Kotor 2, restored content mod" which added in aspects of the game that were left in the data files but unimplemented for whatever reason. From here, the game was a vast improvement. The graphics are a polished take on the original, but looking slightly aged by modern standards. That being said, the environments are considerable and there doesn't seem to be any "copy paste" level-design going on. So far, so Bioware. Dialogue is true to KOTOR form, engaging and well written with excellent voice acting. Major improvements are the inventory system and weapon customisation (it's almost worth playing this game purely for the light sabers), as well as character development among your crew mates and resultant story elements from these aspects. In this respect, the RPG elements in this game (once modded) live up well to Biowares' token game design. Personally I'm not a fan of the D&D "real-time turn-based" combat, but it's playable at least and you notice marked improvements as your character progresses. Squad AI has the tactical IQ of a slightly gifted baked potato, but later in the game it is very enjoyable having the ability to go solo into large enemy groups without having to rely on bad squad mates. Cutscenes are entertaining and the soundtrack is true to the Star Wars canon and its' bombastic sensibilities.

Given further development to finalise the ideas presented in the "restored content mod", this game would have been genuinely astonishing. As released it felt rushed and incomplete, especially considering minimal chances of a sequel.
  20. Jan 27, 2014
    This game makes me very sad. To see so much potential being killed by stupid decision. This game has amazing, rich story witch captivating dialogs and potentially very good atmosphere. However it REALLY needed more time for development. Since tha game was pushed to be aut by christmas it is broken, stripped down and filled in in a hurry )not to mention buggy). You can see it everywhere.This game makes me very sad. To see so much potential being killed by stupid decision. This game has amazing, rich story witch captivating dialogs and potentially very good atmosphere. However it REALLY needed more time for development. Since tha game was pushed to be aut by christmas it is broken, stripped down and filled in in a hurry )not to mention buggy). You can see it everywhere. Unfinished storylines, copy paste from first game everywhere, boring unimaginative locations and so on. This game had potential do be far better than the predecessor. Sadly it is barely average this way. Expand
  21. Aug 6, 2012
    This game had so much potential, but suffered heavily from a lackluster developer and a rushed release. The game engine, graphics, etc. are all basically the same from the first game--no improvements there, but that's not such a bad thing. The real problem is the bugs, which were still not fixed a couple of years after release. The good news is that KOTR 2 does add some interesting newThis game had so much potential, but suffered heavily from a lackluster developer and a rushed release. The game engine, graphics, etc. are all basically the same from the first game--no improvements there, but that's not such a bad thing. The real problem is the bugs, which were still not fixed a couple of years after release. The good news is that KOTR 2 does add some interesting new features, such as stat bonuses from developing relationships with your party members, item crafting, and the ability to train some party members as Jedi (eventually). The story is not as good as the first, but is nonetheless pretty good. Unfortunately the ending is very rushed and becomes both confusing and unsatisfying. It's also a bit slow getting started: the first 'level' or two are fairly dull, but after awhile you get to visit some pretty cool places. KOTR2 is probably well worth playing, but I'd recommend against expecting it to live up to the first game's standard... Expand
  22. Aug 17, 2016
    This game could be easily better than the first part, but as everyone knows, the production was rushed and it has still some bugs. There are some missing parts in many areas, that you can still feel. There is the great Restored Content Mod, but anyway it doesnt feel perfectly connected. Like in the first part the controlling is very bad, because they almost ignored, how we PC Gamers play.This game could be easily better than the first part, but as everyone knows, the production was rushed and it has still some bugs. There are some missing parts in many areas, that you can still feel. There is the great Restored Content Mod, but anyway it doesnt feel perfectly connected. Like in the first part the controlling is very bad, because they almost ignored, how we PC Gamers play. The AI is sometimes frustrating: companions doing stupid actions fora example.
    They improved the gameplay a bit, but it has still some weaknesses like simple dialog system. The story is interesting like the Kotor 1, but often there are too many unnecessary dialogs, especially Kreia talks too much.
    -> In my view Kotor 1 is much better.
  23. Mar 17, 2014
    SW:KotOR II is a wonderful example of how to take a great concept, show it to the player, let them bask in it for a few minutes and then crush it. Throughout the story, there is the underlying theme of "right and wrong are just perceptions", yet everything you do is so polarized between right & wrong that it's impossible to really drive that theme home. Each of the characters in yourSW:KotOR II is a wonderful example of how to take a great concept, show it to the player, let them bask in it for a few minutes and then crush it. Throughout the story, there is the underlying theme of "right and wrong are just perceptions", yet everything you do is so polarized between right & wrong that it's impossible to really drive that theme home. Each of the characters in your arsenal have SOME moral grey area and inner demons that they all must confront in some form, but it's poorly undercut by that light side/dark side conflict that demands the spotlight and just serves to make the characters more bland and just as polarized.

KotOR had the luxury of being able to throw an INCREDIBLE twist at the player toward the end, but without that, KotOR II builds up a great atmosphere, great tension and then just... stopped it all. The ending can't even be considered a "Deus ex Machina" because there was no real conclusion, there's just "this is the good guy's ending" and "this is the bad guy's ending".
  24. Sep 29, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to begin...Knights of the Old Republic 2 takes parts of the first game and makes them slightly better. But also takes aspects of it and makes them worse. Its hard to say if this game was a "good" game. Story wise the idea and concept of the exile had me lost from the start. Not caring who I was playing, I'm just a exiled ex-jedi wanting my precious lightsaber back. The story slightly picks up as you explore the plants and find the jedi masters but once you find them the game snowballs in a very werid direction. Leaving me only to beat it....to beat it. Even at the end I laugh to myself asking WTF was that. Where it does that part wrong, it adds some more depth to the worlds and have you return to some twice to finish main plot lines;That is something the first one didn't have. Party members was a huge plus, adding more interesting characters and having HK back in the scene.
    Character development had some change to it as well with the secondary class selection about mid game, adding 3 sub classes you could follow to expand your ability. Gameplay was bugging, sometimes having my character stand still with actions/attacks in his que and not doing anything. Standing idle while being molly whopped by lightsabers....not so pleasant. Small bugs through the games added up to just be a nuisance; As the Environmental suit in the Alien bar not showing when Mira was in it, the constant getting stuck trying to open a container. ALL I wanted was my loot but no I had to stack twitching and couldn't open my container, I had to have one of my trusty side kicks do it.
    Minus the negative parts they released a huge update to the game which made it up to date with graphics and to play on full resolution. It looks beautiful and blew me away when I booted it up. Great job there guys.

As good as the storyline and basic gameplay are, there are more than a few issues that keep this game from reaching the bar set by the first KotOR. The first: bugs. There a lot of them; most are just annoying, but a few are deadly.
  2. It's remarkable that the game's quest is every bit as big and complex as the original's. On the other hand, some unsightly technical issues and a general feeling of déjà vu will probably prevent you from feeling as strongly about The Sith Lords as you did or still do about the first game.
    More importantly, all these mechanics -- the moral slider, the influence system, combat, etc. -- are surrounded by a first rate story that's almost as mythic and fantastic as the films themselves.