Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic PC

9.0

1. Aug 2, 2016
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is the game that Star Wars fans dream of. The game's compelling story, awesome plot twist, and the ability to choose how you go about your journey makes it one of the best Star Wars games ever made.
  2. Jul 27, 2016
    On par with Mass Effect 2 and better than Dragon Age: Origins. I feel like this is one of the greatest RPG's of all time but that isn't nostalgia talking... (since this is my second time playing this game after a year first trying KOTOR.) I feel that this game deserves a place in the top 100 video games of all time.

I'll spare you the details but the major positives for this game are

I'll spare you the details but the major positives for this game are amazing character development, great story, good pacing and lots of actions and missions to play, with the interesting characters and missions you cannot help but take your sweet time enjoying what KOTOR has to offer. It's like the father of Mass Effect.. Even as a old game it's worth playing for the story and the plot twist is probably one of the greatest plot twists told in video game history and I'm not overreacting when I say this. It also tells one of thr best star wars story even better then the orginal trilogy in terms of orginal story. Shame it has to be ruined by further star wars lore but that's a different story.

Although the character development isn't as strong as Mass Effect and Dragon Age Origins which doesn't give you enough dialogue to appreciate the character. It was enough to give the character some back story. Shame that certain characters are favored, treating them with more dialogue options than the ladder which as I said disappoints me because some characters I felt like were more for cannon fodder rather than a buddy in your squad. (T3m4 and zallbar are some examples) The dialogue in KOTOR is also very black and white.. (aka Dark Side and Light Side) and also I felt like some dialogue whatever you choose led to the same dialogue outcome even without a dialogue change. The dialogue isn't strong like Mass Effect but strong enough to care about what's going on. But the characters comments throughout missions are intereating to hear which makes every encounter different then the last playthrough. Also story progresses very well... Pacing is great and even though the story is quite linear with the only big differences is in the end. I found the planets you explore was well thought out and fun to play through with levithan and taris being personal favourites, the only map I didin't like was the final area. Where the difficultly and final boss were suddenly difficult and tedious to play through if you didin't properly set up or built your character.

Also a problem I have with this game is 2 things... 1 has to be the combat, it feels outdated... But it was the best combat for these types of rpgs where combat isn't just a point and click but it varies on dice rolls and different character builds. In the end thought it feels like I'm playing baldur's gate which is okay and acceptable at times but it's sometimes can be tedious and undeniably punishing if you choose force powers/feats and skill points incorrectly. But rewarding if choose it correctly. So take your time and read through the descriptions and understand the game... otherwise you'll make a mistake forcing you to reset the game or continue because points cannot be reverted unless with a previous save. Also the game is poorly optimized for this generation of computer hardware... AMD's cards cannot even start the game without certain graphic settings turned off and the effects such as smoke, fog and explosions give me a drastic change in FPS dipping to the low 10's and in rare cases crashes the game. The game poorly runs even as a old game... I had older games run better than KOTOR so that's no excuse.

I usually don't recommend games to anyone in my review but this will be an exception.... If you haven't played this game, play it. Even if you aren't a huge fan of star wars like me... Play this game right now... this game was a lot of fun. You will love everything about this game, sure it's a pain to setup on a new computer with windows 7 but it's honestly worth it. If you liked Star Wars or any other bioware game or if you like good rpgs... then play this game, you won't regret it. I stated before that this could be one of the greatest games ever... But this is for sure the best star wars game out there.
  3. Jul 17, 2016
    A classic, no doubt. So glad I stood the test of keep playing it in-spite of its outdated graphics. One of the best Star Wars stories ever told, It took it's time impressing me, I was thinking maybe it was good for its time or something, but boy was I wrong. One voice actor Catherine Taber also unmistakably voices Padme in Clone Wars. Although the other battles were a singe, the finalA classic, no doubt. So glad I stood the test of keep playing it in-spite of its outdated graphics. One of the best Star Wars stories ever told, It took it's time impressing me, I was thinking maybe it was good for its time or something, but boy was I wrong. One voice actor Catherine Taber also unmistakably voices Padme in Clone Wars. Although the other battles were a singe, the final battle was a true challenge. With great challenging puzzles, awesome mini games, it truly is a game that should not be missed, if you're a fan of Bioware and Star Wars. Expand
  4. May 24, 2016
    My approach to the game to say the least was with serious doubts because of my taste of science fiction games by the time or rather dis-likeness to this kind of film and game genre. It turned out to be positive disappointment.

It's important to mention endless glitches, bugs, crashes that most likely resulted from operational system I played on (Windows 10).
  5. Apr 29, 2016
    One of the gems that escaped me on it's release and I'm glad to say that the legend is real. Fantastic RPG. From todays point of view, visuals look a bit dated, interface and inventory might not be the best and especially towards the end it's probably way too much black & white, light vs dark cliche, but other than that, most of the game is extremely good. Captivating story, interestingOne of the gems that escaped me on it's release and I'm glad to say that the legend is real. Fantastic RPG. From todays point of view, visuals look a bit dated, interface and inventory might not be the best and especially towards the end it's probably way too much black & white, light vs dark cliche, but other than that, most of the game is extremely good. Captivating story, interesting characters and quests, sense of adventure and travelling between different planets on your ship with your crew. Bioware did a great job here. Amazing Star Wars experience that should not be missed. Curious about the sequel now. 9/10 Expand
  6. Apr 17, 2016
    The best thing to have ever happened to Star Wars. KOTOR's story is unlike anything else. Any true Star Wars fan or fan of video games in general needs to get over the aged gameplay elements and graphics in order see one of the most genius video game stories in history.
  7. Apr 12, 2016
    Awesome plot, great characters, good gameplay, beautiful locations... only a few bugs and technical problems give it "only" 9/10!

This is probably one of the best games of all times.
  8. Mar 21, 2016
    A really great game with a great cast and amazing twists this game is considered the best for a reason. However it has the black and white mentality and it doesn't have real moral problems. All actions are considered good or evil which makes it a bit one dimensional but it still is a masterpiece and is a must play for all star wars fans!
  9. Jan 23, 2016
    Played this when I was 13... 13 years later I came back to it, and it is just as good as the first time. Very captivating story line, decent acting for a video game (especially from 2003), and great for any Star Wars fan or even for those not familiar with the series. All I can say is, PLAY THIS GAME. It is like watching a movie which you control. You will not regret it.
  10. Jan 23, 2016
    After 10 years I decided to play this game again. And it is still a great game:
    After 10 years I decided to play this game again. And it is still a great game:
    + Star Wars feeling is inside. Graphics looks good even today if you install some mods.Especially you should modifiy your resolution to 1080p, which works perfectly with Flawless widescreen. The dialogs for the evil way is brilliant. The story makes you feel to want play more. Alltogethert this is surely the best Star Wars game with Kotor 2 and one of the best RPG of all time, but it is not quite in the same class like Fallout 1, Gothic or Baldurs Gate. Why?
    - The gameplay and the game itself are too easy. The controlling is consolish, so a bit annoying.
  11. Jan 6, 2016
    My favorite game of all time If you are into old style RPGs you will love this game. Think slightly more modern with Baldur's Gate. No isometric view and closer up look at your character but still has that turn-based combat. Amazing story as well and great characters. Even if you aren't into an older RPG you will still love this game based on the great story and stellar gameplay. This gameMy favorite game of all time If you are into old style RPGs you will love this game. Think slightly more modern with Baldur's Gate. No isometric view and closer up look at your character but still has that turn-based combat. Amazing story as well and great characters. Even if you aren't into an older RPG you will still love this game based on the great story and stellar gameplay. This game is what inspire Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins how can you say you don't love it. Expand
  12. Jan 4, 2016
    I love this game. It's clear. BUT. This is a piece of **** as RPG. The Story is Fantastic, but with this gameplay...
    I think in an other Universe it's only 2 points, but in SW 8
  13. Jan 2, 2016
    KotOR is one of the most memorable games of all time. The first time I played it, was at least 10 years ago, but as soon as you mention any or the planets or characters, memories come flowing back as if it was yesterday. Just think for a second about Manaan, Kashyyyk, Rakatan, Taris, Bastilla, the Star Forge, Ebon Hawk, ect.
  14. Nov 6, 2015
    This game is honestly amazing! one of the best games I have ever played! even though its over 10 years old! still has a better story than most games today. you should be silly to miss out on playing this games its a must have game for any star wars fan!
  15. Nov 4, 2015
    Are you a fan of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale? Then this game is a must play. It's a classic Bioware RPG. Obviously, it's not Medieval style, but set in space and instead of magic you get the Force.

PROS: - good, compelling plot - your "band of misfits" and team progression - variety of worlds to explore - "detective" quests - character development - background and enhancement

PROS:
    - good, compelling plot
    - your "band of misfits" and team progression
    - variety of worlds to explore
    - "detective" quests
    - character development
    - background and enhancement of Star Wars lore
    - old school gameplay mechanics with pausable combat
    - lightsabers
    - graphics is oldish nowadays, but it's still cool

MEH:
    - I believe the soundtrack doesn't try hard enough, it could be better, with more obvious themes for different planets
    - shopping is kind of optional, you can get by with items found on dead bodies and looted from chests

CONS:
    - pazaak gambling gets boring, Witcher made gambling much more interesting
    - some bugs, for example your companions frequently block your way or start the fight when you intend to just sneak by

Before playing KOTOR I wasn't a huge fan of Star Wars lore. Now I begin to like it all! The game gives you a lot of background and information on specific races, planets, history of the galaxy. It's definitely one of the best RPGs I've ever played! Prepare for 40 hours of awesome story!

GAMEPLAY 9/10

GRAPHICS 8/10

AUDIO 7/10

STORY 10/10
  16. Nov 1, 2015
    One of the best game ever made!! the history is worth of a movie , the characters are amazing revan,malak,bastilla, mission etc.epic soundtrack, light / dark side shifts, puzzles, force powers, change characters, different endings.This game has everything!! search your feelings you know it to be true...
  17. Oct 21, 2015
    One of the most epic games I;ve ever played. even over a decade old, I find myself reinstalling and replaying, one of the best storylines, gameplay mechanics and sound effects in gaming history. Voice acting as well can not be understated. two names Star wars, and Bioware.. so you know your in for the ride of your life
  18. Oct 1, 2015
    Best star wars game ever made. I would also go as far as saying greatest star wars story of all time. The combat is very deep and there are multiple ways to play out the story.
  19. Aug 19, 2015
    Awesome story, Great gameplay, Massive open world, Cool Characters. If this game was bug free it would be the best game ever! (check community patches and mods)
  20. Jul 14, 2015
    After playing it again I realized, again, that this is one of the best RPGs ever produced and definately the best Star Wars game ever released. Story telling, gameplay, universe and characters are epic!

If you never tried KOTOR, your life is meaningless. :D MTFBWY!
  21. Jul 10, 2015
    - Good: Story, Manaan, Ending (Dark Side), Companions, Character progression, Setting, Pacing
    - Mixed: Combat system, Atmosphere/Mood, Exploration
    - Bad: Hitboxes, AI, Slow and boring start Very solid game with a few negatives. Very enjoyable story line with great ending. Some great locations like mannan, imo best location in the game. Character progression is good but combat system
    - Mixed: Combat system, Atmosphere/Mood, Exploration
    - Bad: Hitboxes, AI, Slow and boring start

Very solid game with a few negatives. Very enjoyable story line with great ending. Some great locations like mannan, imo best location in the game. Character progression is good but combat system is lacking mostly because bad enemy AI and bugs. Exploration/Movement/Camera work is mediocre, hitboxes are broken, UI is mess, u cant find **** in this game. Start of the game is pretty boring story wise but after Taris is much much better.
  22. Jul 8, 2015
    I could give this game a 10 for reasons relating to nostalgia alone but after playing it again in early 2015 after snagging a copy off the may the 4th be with you sale i realized something. THIS GAME IS STILL SUPER FUN AFTER BEING 12 YEARS OLD. it also hurts me to say its slightly younger than my younger brother and Ive already by far have spent more time on this game than i have with him
  23. Jul 2, 2015
    The first of many Bioware role playing games that I will always love. Knights of the Old Republic stands as one of the best Star Wars games ever. With a immersive story, planets to explore and the choice of what happens as you go along. Light side. Dark side. Or maybe a little in between. All within your choices of wielding a lightsaber and force choking peons. With the original XboxThe first of many Bioware role playing games that I will always love. Knights of the Old Republic stands as one of the best Star Wars games ever. With a immersive story, planets to explore and the choice of what happens as you go along. Light side. Dark side. Or maybe a little in between. All within your choices of wielding a lightsaber and force choking peons. With the original Xbox release back in 2003 I was only 11 when I first enjoyed this game and playing through it now 12 years later I still love diving in to play with different party members or a different class. As I was younger I thought this game was a perfect 10/10 in every aspect but just playing through it again Ive noticed some flaws.
    Not to knock it down from its very high mantel but things that were bugging while playing. Numerous times while playing my character would get stuck on nothing, sometimes just opening a box and it would glitch/stutter and then couldn't be moved. Only way to move him was to switch to a party member to move the group away or reload the game. Also ran into the issue of the character not following through with a command during battle. The command would sit idle in the action bar but never follow through. Could have a enemy smack you four-five times with you standing still like a punching bag. Same games with the AI party members.
    That is just me searching out for the flaws on a otherwise remarkable game.
    Tip for anyone who plays.......SAVE OFTEN
  24. Jun 24, 2015
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was probably the first RPG I ever played. I wasn't very old at the time and I simply loved this game back in the day. Going back to it over a decade later, it has held up it even better than I ever thought it would. In Knights of the Old Republic, you play as a random soldier in the Republic, aboard the starship Endar Spire, that is being fired on byStar Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was probably the first RPG I ever played. I wasn't very old at the time and I simply loved this game back in the day. Going back to it over a decade later, it has held up it even better than I ever thought it would. In Knights of the Old Republic, you play as a random soldier in the Republic, aboard the starship Endar Spire, that is being fired on by Sith forces in the beginning of the game. You make your own customizable character and go from there. Your journey will take you all across the galaxy and you will find out your true purpose in the game. Combat is "round-based" but is very fast going and doesn't drag. The force powers are amazing. Combat will never be dull; trust me. The best part of the game is the story and characters. You will only find one game series (another BioWare product, Mass Effect) that has better characters. These characters are that good. Conversations are intelligent, and for the time this game came out and even now, the conversation system is well done. And the Story is top notch. If you have played BioWare's more recent games (Dragon Age/Mass Effect) you will feel at home with of the best games of all time, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Expand
  25. Jun 22, 2015
    this game is amazing..
    Pros: the storyline is fairly quick paced, the tutorial is extremely informative.... the leveling up system is pretty efficent... not enough feats and skills to level up.... i love the hidden easter eggs
    this game is amazing..
    cons: the character interaction isnt really involving.... its like your just watching the conversations happening.... it is missing content because the game developers didnt finish the game.....
    finally the ending is amazing and it has 3 different endings,....…
    @darthaegis i agree that KOTOR 2 is better then this game but the storyline for this game is much much better then KOTOR 2 but KOTOR 2 has better graphics....
    @DegenCutter i have played this game when it first came out and the graphics were amazing...
    i also STILL play this game and the whole reason the graphics suck right now is because niether bioware OR obsidian can take up the KOTOR name because disney is deciding what is canon.... and they dont know crap... no matter how old i get i will ALWAYS own and play this game.... i love going through the game and finding the easter eggs.... or unlocking something new that i havent found before....
    which to date in KOTOR 2 is the last lightsaber form, and the last Force Form....
    in KOTOR i only need to get the cheat droid in the fighter simulation
  26. Jun 17, 2015
    A classic Star Wars tale and one of the great RPGs of days gone past. The graphics won't hold up to standards today, but this game is worth playing through at least once just for the experience. It's best if you're unspoiled on the story, but even if you aren't, it's worth playing through and watching it all unfold. This is a game that perfectly captured the magic of the Star Wars setting!
  27. May 13, 2015
    This was my favorite game when I was a kid. The story is worthy of a star wars trilogy movie and with many new but familiar things to the star wars universe have been added to the game. The characters you meet, while are cliched but are well written , with one of video games best plot twist of all time.

The game play is decent. It plays like a D&D game, with real-time, rolls,crits, and hits with abilities and items. You play as three different classes, soldier,explorer and infiltrator. The controls will feel off and confusing.

Despite the flawed controls and slow gameplay, the writing, characters and content are well worth purchasing.I highly recommend buying if you like rpgs or if your a star wars fan.
  28. May 9, 2015
    This is probably one of the best games I have ever played. This game is pretty long. It took over 30 hours to complete for the first time. I like that this game has the light/dark side system. If you do something bad you get dark side points and etc. This game has pretty outdated graphics but I dont mind it. This game is full of sidequests I have played it many times and still havent doneThis is probably one of the best games I have ever played. This game is pretty long. It took over 30 hours to complete for the first time. I like that this game has the light/dark side system. If you do something bad you get dark side points and etc. This game has pretty outdated graphics but I dont mind it. This game is full of sidequests I have played it many times and still havent done them all. And the jedi powers are fun to play with. The turn-based combat works perfectly and when the game pauses you have a lot of time to plan the attack. I think they did a good job making this game. Its over 10 years old and Im still playing it! The controls are really good I really have nothing bad to say about them. The game is pretty challenging if you dont know much about the game or RPGs. Before you start the game look from the internet at least what does the classes do (I didint do it first time I did it and I regretted it). The game is really fun to play. The dark side and the light side really doesnt have different missions, but they have different powers and endings. This game is a must buy to anyone who likes RPGs or is trying to start playing them. Expand
  29. Apr 15, 2015
    OK, in no way am I a Star Wars fan, but nevertheless, I actually enjoyed this game quite a bit, the combat is well-done, the planets are completely different and fun to explore, there are romance options, the story is interesting. A good game.
  30. Apr 11, 2015
    This is the best game ever!

No joke, the best game ever made! The story is epic! I mean 9 stories are epic!... There is way too much to do in this game! Its out of this world how good of a deal this is!
  31. Feb 21, 2015
    Star Wars: KOTOR is most likely to be one of the best role playing games based off of the Star Wars legacy and you can't ask for a better original story line when it comes to this game. If you are one of those Star Wars fans or just a fan of gaming, then this one needs to be at the top of your list. Trust me you don't want to miss out trying this game.
  32. Feb 18, 2015
    Despite the dated and initially frustrating combat, this game still holds up today and is worth every penny. You'll get roughly a good 60 hours from a relaxed fully enjoyed play through and there is limitless replay value due to the character choices and dialogue options and ways to fight your battles. The dialogue is very interesting and enjoyable and once your characters get skilledDespite the dated and initially frustrating combat, this game still holds up today and is worth every penny. You'll get roughly a good 60 hours from a relaxed fully enjoyed play through and there is limitless replay value due to the character choices and dialogue options and ways to fight your battles. The dialogue is very interesting and enjoyable and once your characters get skilled enough to stop missing targets at point blank range over and over and over (You can literally miss doors with melee weapons at the beginning off the game) the animations in light saber fights are fun to watch. Visit old Star Wars worlds and new ones in which ever order you want and with whatever companions you want who have their own unique commentaries and personalities adding to the tremendous replay value. The inventory system is among the worst I've ever seen but given the age of the game it is passable. There are many places to sell loot and buy weapons and armour and the game genuinely tempts you to choose the dark side to get more credits to buy some of the tremendously expensive items some vendors have. This game is a MASTERPIECE because the aforementioned flaws of this game are not enough to negatively effect your experience. This is a timeless game for all to enjoy! Expand
  33. Feb 1, 2015
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic diyalogları ve senaryosu ile tam bir başyapıt. Üstelik diyaloglar içinde yapacağınız tercihlerle oyunun gidişatına yön verebiliyorsunuz. Karakterler arasında gecen konuşmalarda bi o kadar eglenceli. Bioware hiç üşenmemiş 9 numara!! oyun yapmış.
  34. Jan 31, 2015
    You could say that the gameplay is boring but that's not fair considering its age. If you grew up with this game like I did you would appreciate the **** out of it. I can't recall how many times i've played this game, it's so damn addicting. The storyline is simply amazing and has one of the best plot twists ever.
  35. Jan 2, 2015
    Before KOTOR, Star Wars games were notorious to be very bad. KOTOR broke that trend. KOTOR was an instant hit, and is one of the best RPG's ever made.

KOTOR was crafted at the tail end of what we gamers would like to call, the "Golden Age" of videogames. Lasting roughly from 1996-2004, this was a very exciting time for video games. Huge leaps in innovation were seen, developers and publishers took risks, and we saw top quality games being churned out every year. This was the age of SquareSoft's final fantasies and Blizzard's Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft series.

And then there was KOTOR and Bioware.

KOTOR has it all deep gameplay, excellent story and graphics all with a classic Star Wars soundtrack, with new and familiar tunes. KOTOR is Bioware's masterpiece, only comparable to Mass Effect 2. Bioware had managed to blend the fundamentals of traditional DnD gameplay with the more modern aspects of computer action rpg. The result is a fantastic game which pays homage to its roots while expanding gameplay to seamless, action fun with deep gameplay mechanics.

Action isnt broken up through battle-rest-battle, but rather streamlined, and Force abilities (Spells) do not have to be recharged through resting. Instead of the traditional DnD alignment system, we are given a streamlined, good-neutral-evil alignment through actions, and you will see that chage through the blue to red smoke behind your character. We also have a simplified class system. Though at first glance it may seem too simple, it is much deeper than what it lets on, and is more forgiving to players that dont choose the right feats.

But KOTOR really shines is the story. KOTOR's story is one of the best of what videogames have to offer. The writing team for KOTOR truly had their moment here. The story is so engaging, so brilliant it will have you glued to the game. In fact, I am not surprised if there are fans that are trying to make their own fan movie of KOTOR. The story is just that damn good. KOTOR really started the trend of Player Choice, as your actions have their consequences, and not just with alignment changes. Remember to play a male PC, as you'll get the full force of the story, with a meaningful romance that affects the story to the very end.

If you havent played KOTOR, you are seriously missing out on one of the best RPG's ever made. A classic.
  36. Dec 10, 2014
    There aren't many games that are actually deserving of a perfect "10/10" rating in my book - but this is one of them. It is a flawless Star Wars based RPG that oozes brilliance at every turn.

The game is based on the original NWN in terms of engine and the "way things work". It does a masterful job of everything - the graphics, sound, music, voice acting, story, game mechanics are all absolutely perfect. You could literally not want more from a game.

Jimbo Rating: 10/10
  37. Dec 1, 2014
    Fun ass game, intriguing story nice graphics for its time (come on guys it's a 2003 game.) and interesting planets and people. What the **** is there for me not to like?
  38. Nov 26, 2014
    Well, what can I tell you about this game?
    I can tell for sure it is my favorite!
    I can tell that I have played thought the story for something like 10 times since 2004.
    I can tell that you need to arm yourself with all the best modifications(textures, resolution, cut content) and start this FANTASTIC journey right now!
  39. Nov 7, 2014
    This is and has always been my favorite game ever,When i was just a kid about 7 i was given this game for my birthday
    and ever since then I've played it over and over,This is the game that got me into video games This is the game that got me to love star wars,I love everything about this game,some people might find it not as amazing as me but i do recommend that you buy and play this Amazing,Breathtaking,Beautiful Experience of a Game.
  40. Oct 14, 2014
    Best Star Wars game, that made finally a honor to the Lucas trilogy and to RPG genre together. The story greatly describe a situation when sith and jedi made the history of Republic and themselves. Bringing the best of pc gods Bioware, story, characters acting and completely done traditional rpg motto: choose your way. and this time also, choose your path, the force will be with you.
  41. Sep 11, 2014
    In my opinion, this is the perfect RPG. Incredible story, great mechanics with combat, customization, and story (as it is a Bioware game). It was the best game on the original Xbox, and is compatible with the 360 too. And with it on PC, as well as copies now going for dirt cheap, there is no reason why you shouldn't pick this up if you're a Star Wars fan and/or RPG fan. Incredible game,In my opinion, this is the perfect RPG. Incredible story, great mechanics with combat, customization, and story (as it is a Bioware game). It was the best game on the original Xbox, and is compatible with the 360 too. And with it on PC, as well as copies now going for dirt cheap, there is no reason why you shouldn't pick this up if you're a Star Wars fan and/or RPG fan. Incredible game, deserves highest praise. 10/10 Expand
  42. Aug 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i absolutely love this game,this is the perfect RPG
    the story makes you feel like you're part of it,
    the work that Old Bioware did here was a masterpiece,the characters are done brilliant,the Revan Plot twist was one of my biggest 'Wow' moments in my gamer life,the story is done very well
    the gameplay is good for a RPG,the romance with Bastila was good and funny at the same time
    my favourite character was HK-47 with his dark humor
    suggestion:go buy it now with Kotor 2,this is what modern RPGs should take inspiration from.
  43. Aug 2, 2014
    This was the first game which I ever truly fell in love with, by which I mean I could not suppress the urge to replay it year after year. This review will be short, as it has no need to be otherwise.

The game is an RPG, which is a genre it wears supremely. It offers the MOST immersive experience I perhaps have ever seen from a video game; it's story is intriguing, clever, funny, full of twists, choice driven and downright captivating.
    The graphics are very nice for the time in which the game was made, and have aged very well.
    The soundtrack is absolutely exquisite, rivaling the original Star Wars music.
    Voice acting is without equal, and combat is based on the Dungeons and Dungeons familiar setup which is extremely tactical and yet also fun.

To conclude, the game in my opinion is damn near flawless, I would recommend it to anyone, and if that said person does not enjoy it, I will clearly have little in common with them!
  44. Jun 30, 2014
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic gives you an incredible level of control over your character. You feel a true connection to them as their path is chosen by you, the player. Their story is yours to craft however you want. The graphics for this game, especially in the cut scenes, are phenomenal for it's time and some still stand up today. The story driven elements are perfectly suitedStar Wars: Knights of the Old Republic gives you an incredible level of control over your character. You feel a true connection to them as their path is chosen by you, the player. Their story is yours to craft however you want. The graphics for this game, especially in the cut scenes, are phenomenal for it's time and some still stand up today. The story driven elements are perfectly suited to it's light side dark side karma-like mechanic. The combat system is very innovative allowing for strategy rather than charging opponents head on - very unique design. Gameplay is slick and easy, and there aren't enough words for how I would love to compliment this game. A very trademark game of Bioware. The best Star Wars video game ever and my all time favorite game. Expand
  45. Jun 13, 2014
    I solved widescreen and UI stretch problem in both of the KOTOR games with some online solution. Now I can relive the wonderful game in full HD and widescreen.
  46. Jun 6, 2014
    That's my first game. I love Kotor, it's so amazing. And that's all, what can I say. Peoples, jast buy that things, and we forgive anything, what you see before.
  47. May 21, 2014
    Stars Wars Knights of the Old Republic has so much lore that it could stand by itself in a entirely separate star wars universe, I would rank Kotor in similarity with the likes of Deus Ex, what they both have in common is that you can play the game at least 50 times and still have a different outcome, what i mean is your decisions and actions through the games various dialogue optionsStars Wars Knights of the Old Republic has so much lore that it could stand by itself in a entirely separate star wars universe, I would rank Kotor in similarity with the likes of Deus Ex, what they both have in common is that you can play the game at least 50 times and still have a different outcome, what i mean is your decisions and actions through the games various dialogue options count and effect the games overall outcome. In my opinion Kotor is the few RPG's that defined the genre. I would recommend this to any RPG/Star Wars fan or gamer alike. Expand
  48. May 8, 2014
    If you're a Star Wars fanatic I will recommend playing this game! It is by far one of the best games I played on the Xbox/PC. The story is so good you WILL want to carry on playing. You have the choice to pick out of either the dark side of the force or the light side and your decisions you make will take affect towards your game-play experience. There are 6+ planets if I rememberIf you're a Star Wars fanatic I will recommend playing this game! It is by far one of the best games I played on the Xbox/PC. The story is so good you WILL want to carry on playing. You have the choice to pick out of either the dark side of the force or the light side and your decisions you make will take affect towards your game-play experience. There are 6+ planets if I remember correctly, all which take part in the second game. I played this on release so I cannot remember how many planets there actually are. Anyhow it's a must buy and a 10/10 from me; the second game is just as good, if not better. Expand
  49. May 6, 2014
    I want to start off by saying this is one of my favorite RPG's of all time, honestly I lost count of how many times I have played this game after 4 or 5 times and yes that is how much I like it. Where to begin, lets start with the combat system. Nothing that really complex you equip you and your characters with armor and weapons along with shields and upgrades to make them more effectiveI want to start off by saying this is one of my favorite RPG's of all time, honestly I lost count of how many times I have played this game after 4 or 5 times and yes that is how much I like it. Where to begin, lets start with the combat system. Nothing that really complex you equip you and your characters with armor and weapons along with shields and upgrades to make them more effective in combat along with consumables like medpacs to heal yourself. The Combat is turn based but in real time although you can pause the game and plan each of you and your companions moves and then attack. Now lets get to the story. This really is the best Star Wars Story ever written, all the characters are extremely well done especially Bastilla Shan and the Mysterious Darth Revan. Some of the original music made into this game but I appreciate most about the Soundtrack is that the game contained an original Star Wars soundtrack mostly and it fit right in with the universe. This being Bioware I found it at no surprise that the voice acting was superb in every way from Jennifer Hale's Bastilla to Carolyn Seymour's Admiral Dodonna and even though that is a relatively small part it was done so well. I liked Everything about this game and OH MY GOD the plot twist in the middle of them game took me completely by surprise and still gets me every time I play the game. This game has so much story to it that if I tried to explain it all it would ruin it because I would spoil everything and the game is so centered around this amazing story that it really would ruin the game if I told you everything. But here are the basics You wake up on a Republic cruiser under attack then you crash on the Planet Taris with Carth Onasi who is a republic pilot and you have to Find Bastilla who is a Jedi master with a unique ability called battle meditation which can sway the tide of any battle. Once you find her on the planet she sees your force sensitive and takes you to become a Jedi on Dantooine there you discover a threat to the galaxy and you are sent to 4 main and beautifully created planets to find the pieces of the puzzle. I did not find a whole lot to complain about in this game, if I had to choose something it would be one time in my whole 5 playthroughs and beyond my game completely froze but that was one time and it has not happened since. One last thing I want to say about this game is if you are interested in modding Kotor 1 or Kotor 2 download the kotor save game editor mod it is really cool. If you ever were on the fence about buying this game get it now, Its only 10 dollars on steam right now just like Kotor 2, buy it if you are RPG fans, buy it if you are Star Wars fans especially and even if you like video games in general you owe it to yourself to experience this amazing game. Expand
  50. May 5, 2014
    A very solid RPG that helped to establish BioWare's pre-EA reputation as one of the best developers in the business. Strong characters, multiple varied environments, a variety of gameplay types, and an interesting narrative that comes to a satisfying conclusion. (Unlike the sequel.)
    It's a 2003 release, so the graphics, combat, inventory management, and long travel/exploration times should be expected. That said, the lightsaber battles are great, and the game just oozes with charm. You can really see where the inspiration for the Mass Effect series came from.
  51. Apr 3, 2014
    This and the Battlefront series are the greatest Star Wars games ever. Every other SW game is seemingly irrelevant compared to these two. As for KOTOR, the story is set 4000 years before the rise of the Galactic Empire. It has one of the greatest twists I have ever seen. If you say you're a Star Wars fan, but have not played this game, then you're not a true fan. Gameplay is also awesome,This and the Battlefront series are the greatest Star Wars games ever. Every other SW game is seemingly irrelevant compared to these two. As for KOTOR, the story is set 4000 years before the rise of the Galactic Empire. It has one of the greatest twists I have ever seen. If you say you're a Star Wars fan, but have not played this game, then you're not a true fan. Gameplay is also awesome, and you can choose whether to be aligned with the Light Side, or the Dark Side. I'm still waiting for KOTOR 3 as I don't believe The Old Republic (the F2P game) doesn't cut it. Expand
  52. Mar 10, 2014
    Great RPG, you simply cannot stop playing it. RPG of this generation. Even if it is old, it's unique. It revolutionized gaming. .
  53. Mar 6, 2014
    This is a great game. It's not one thing that makes this game great. In fact if you look at it's parts, you would easily take it apart and not find anything appealing about the game. It's when you actually sit down and play the game that your realize it's awesomeness.

The game is all about story and choices. You get to play the main character. But who and what that main character is or is not is up to you. You even get to choose what he looks like and if he is a he or a she.

The game has so much choice that replayablitiy is a serious asset of the game. You start off as one of 4 none Jedi characters. Then later become one of 4 Jedi classes. Mixing and matching these class combinations gives you essentially 16 different characters to play. But the way they level up these skills is entirely up to you. And there are many skills to choose from.

I wouldn't call it a hardcore combat game, but this game gives you plenty of action. Then to add to the replayablity you can replay the same character and see the changes when you maybe jump from the light to the dark side. This coupled with the many class combos gives even more replayablity. And the differences can be significant enough where the story feels totally different. They even let you choose the areas you visit in any order you want. Then you not only have your story but each of your companions has their own story.

On top of this wonderful cake, they give you a cherry on top with plenty of mini games to keep you from getting bored. Like speeder racing, a card game you can gamble your hard won earnings on. An upgrade system for all your equipment etc.

And the incredible part is the story is different when you replay. But it is so familiar you feel like you are in charge. You may know the ending, but the choices you make can really put a twist on your story.
  54. Feb 17, 2014
    This game was fantastic. The storyline is very interesting and strong enough to keep you trucking through the low points of the game. Recommended for anyone who likes good stories, BioWare or Star Wars. Not Recommended for anyone who cannot tolerate the "press button to attack" system or someone who wants a Gameplay > Story star wars game (see Star Wars Battlefront if so)
  55. Feb 9, 2014
    Easily one of my favorite games of all time. Originally had it on Xbox and later re-purchased it on PC, I have played this game through time and time again, each time as rewarding as the last. This game has an immersive story, an ingenious plot (with the best twist of all time), great game mechanics, and is truly just an excellent game; it is definitely deserving of its praised status andEasily one of my favorite games of all time. Originally had it on Xbox and later re-purchased it on PC, I have played this game through time and time again, each time as rewarding as the last. This game has an immersive story, an ingenious plot (with the best twist of all time), great game mechanics, and is truly just an excellent game; it is definitely deserving of its praised status and awards. Once you begin, it is impossible to put down. To sum it up: Amazing game. A must-play for Star Wars and RPG fans alike. Expand
  56. Jan 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best cRPG's I have ever played and is in my opinion on par with BG. The story is intelligent, interesting and surprising. The game play is great and the environment is captivating and well in tone with the game. I have played it through twice, and each time I have chosen the path of evil. From what I've been told from friends, the game was to easy if one chose the route of good, because of the spell "speed", but even these people were mesmerized by the game. I can do nothing but recommend this game to every fan of the RPG genre, because it has one of the most awesome story lines and game play of any RPG out there. Expand
  57. Dec 21, 2013
    Great game for its time. Great characters, writing, story (with an amazing twist), pacing, gameplay, an amazing game overall, a love letter to all Star Wars fans and one of the best RPG's ever made
  58. Dec 20, 2013
    There are a lot of things could have gone wrong during the development of this game, simply because it is a licensed game. Bioware however has created a beautiful world that, while defintiely Star Wars, has a unique feel all it's own. In traditional RPG fashion, the combat consists of turns, but you are free to move, pause, and issue commands during these turns. If your not a huge fan ofThere are a lot of things could have gone wrong during the development of this game, simply because it is a licensed game. Bioware however has created a beautiful world that, while defintiely Star Wars, has a unique feel all it's own. In traditional RPG fashion, the combat consists of turns, but you are free to move, pause, and issue commands during these turns. If your not a huge fan of turn-based combat, it moves fast enough to keep you on your toes. The story of this game is the real draw though, I don't want to spoil it for the few who haven't gone through it, but there is a reason it is considered one of the best game endings. All in all despite a few technical problems with the game, it is a well crafted, amazing adventure everyone should enjoy. Expand
  59. Dec 8, 2013
    The absolute golden standard of games. Words could not describe the absolute immersion and joy, even the sense of being totally blowed away when I first played it, which are so rare for a seasoned gamer. In the seaside planet I could totally feel smell of sea wind, and this is not an exaggeration. The first thought that came across my mind was "this definitely deserves a re-make!" and "IThe absolute golden standard of games. Words could not describe the absolute immersion and joy, even the sense of being totally blowed away when I first played it, which are so rare for a seasoned gamer. In the seaside planet I could totally feel smell of sea wind, and this is not an exaggeration. The first thought that came across my mind was "this definitely deserves a re-make!" and "I would definitely like another several more play-through" And even no, its original quality is still supreme. A strong sense of responsibility to players is of course the foundation, but even that is not enough: the developers are pure genius. Even today 10 years later after the publication of the game I would still doubtlessly rate it as my favorite RPG, easily far ahead of any other game produced later, and one of the all-time best in any game category(It was ranked as No.3 in "10 best games of the decade by a certain media, if I'm not mistaken). Expand
  60. Dec 2, 2013
    If i had to describe the game in one word it would be "masterpiece". it is amazing how this game has a better story and more interesting characters then the Star Wars prequel trilogy that opens up the star wars universe in ways you couldn't imagine at the time. The RPG style gameplay works to perfection with an addicting leveling up system that makes you want to keep playing.
  61. MrZ
    Dec 1, 2013
    This is by far one of my personal favorites. I played this game years ago when I purchased the Star Wars Best of PC pack and was hooked. As a young Star Wars fan, when I started playing it, I was absolutely immersed in the story. Since it takes place long before the movies, it brings about a new and interesting story. Although not the best by today's standards, I still play it to this day.
  62. Nov 2, 2013
    The KotOR series is one of my favourite series. When I first played the game, I had high hopes for it. The game impressed me, despite its age. Few games give as many choices, plot twists, and lovable characters. Sadly, I did get stuck and ended up looking up a quick guide, which ended up spoiling a bit plot twist.
  63. Oct 31, 2013
    This is my favorite game of all time i played it on the original xbox and have beaten over 8 times over the past decade (i still have the original game with the xbox). This game i feel is timeless my reasons being is it has superb story telling, character development, difficult choices, deep history, great voice acting and if you are hardcore about star wars it flushes out the universe soThis is my favorite game of all time i played it on the original xbox and have beaten over 8 times over the past decade (i still have the original game with the xbox). This game i feel is timeless my reasons being is it has superb story telling, character development, difficult choices, deep history, great voice acting and if you are hardcore about star wars it flushes out the universe so beautifully with a setting fresh and interesting. If enjoyed a more strategic combat than this has it, or you can adjust some setting to make it a little more fast pace. I have never played the PC version but this game is a must play its a classic that really pushed story telling to a whole new level. Expand
  64. Oct 29, 2013
    Quite simply the greatest game I've ever played. So much joy to be had in this game. It is timeless. I've played this through at least 4 times and I don't replay games often. This game reminded us all about how good Star Wars could be.
  65. Oct 22, 2013
    Amazing game. It has some decisions that will put people off, some may not like the combat, think the first planet goes on a bit too long, dislike a few characters etc... but for me everything is perfect. I think my favourite part of the game are the worlds you visit. They are all very unique and you'll want to explore every corner of them and fulfill every side quest.
  66. Oct 17, 2013
    Personally, i think it rivals Halo as the best game for the original Xbox. Looking back at it 10 years later, I have yet to play a game that comes close to the story telling or character development like this game has. It has a turn based combat system, which would seem to get repetitive on paper, but harder settings make it useful and thought provoking. Recent RPGs like Mass Effect (whoPersonally, i think it rivals Halo as the best game for the original Xbox. Looking back at it 10 years later, I have yet to play a game that comes close to the story telling or character development like this game has. It has a turn based combat system, which would seem to get repetitive on paper, but harder settings make it useful and thought provoking. Recent RPGs like Mass Effect (who has the same developer, but trust me when i say when KOTOR has a story that flows better), Skyrim, and Borderlands all have elements of great character design, exploration, and game mechanics respectively, but Knights of the Old Republic has them all, and that makes it a great game.

Overall, if you like the Star Wars lore, or like RPGs, buy it ASAP. If you aren't, I would borrow and try it anyway. It's that good. Who knows, maybe it'll become your favorite too.
  67. Sep 24, 2013
    Incluso una década después, para mí, sigue invicto. Un rpg como Dios manda, ambientado en el universo de Star Wars. Buena banda sonora, buenos personajes, excelente mecánica de juego, en general...¿qué mas se puede pedir?
  68. Sep 23, 2013
    Excellent game, and with the very cheap price tag now you can't go wrong. To add to it all of the mods (restored content and improved graphics) you can find available makes this a game everyone should play at least once.
  69. Sep 11, 2013
    One of the best RPGs ever made.

Gameplay 8
    Story 9
    Sound 10

If you're a fan of games like Mass effect.... PLAY THIS GAME! and be prepared for the best video game, Star wars experience ever made.
  70. Sep 4, 2013
    This is my second favorite game of all time, i am a big rpg and si-fy fan so i guess this was i match made in heaven. Yes the controls and graphics are outdated but there is nothing an hd remake cant fix. just have Dice use the frostbite engine and i will be happy. i want to see my hd remake.
  71. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is a must buy, 31hours of gameplay and more. Some small bugs like crashing and bad ally AI when walking keeps it from a 10/10. I only hope for a 3rd game
  72. Jul 28, 2013
    Overall a fantastic game. Easy to play, very entertaining. Storytelling, characters, plot, lore are absolutely great. Maybe a bit too easy on normal difficulty, and sometimes a bit lengthy due to a lot of running around in the same areas, but still one of my all time favorites. The sequel is good, but not a match to this game.
  73. Jul 26, 2013
    I played KOTOR when it was originally released 10 years ago and thought it was great. So when I found it on Steam I of course had to download and replay it. And what do you know... it was still great. If you like RPGs, story-driven games and/or Star wars stuff, you should try this one out.

Some words of warning. I didn't really mind the graphics (after setting every graphics setting to max), but if you haven't played any older games, it might be an issue for you. Especially character and facial animation are very simplistic by today's standards. The game also has problems with Win 7. There are some instructions how to get around this, but at least for me, it took some experimenting before the game started working.
  74. Jul 25, 2013
    A legend, this game changed the whole RPG genre and started the Bioware RPG domination. Writing cons is faster so lets get to it: Fights are boring, back in 2003 it was something new and great but after 10 years it revelaed its true boring nature. Graphics werent amazing even in 2003 and now they look bad. I had something more on my mind but i cant remember what, this game is the best SWA legend, this game changed the whole RPG genre and started the Bioware RPG domination. Writing cons is faster so lets get to it: Fights are boring, back in 2003 it was something new and great but after 10 years it revelaed its true boring nature. Graphics werent amazing even in 2003 and now they look bad. I had something more on my mind but i cant remember what, this game is the best SW game ever released and its one of the best games of history. Expand
  75. Jul 11, 2013
    The second best star wars game to his day, the first one is IMO was the sequel to this, but that's another matter, fun tactical combat, AMAZINGLY well done story, phenomenal voice acting (Jennifer Hale) the dialogue tree, being able to become a total dark side bad-ass! overall one of the best Rpgs you can get your hands on don't even think twice about buying it if you even slightly likeThe second best star wars game to his day, the first one is IMO was the sequel to this, but that's another matter, fun tactical combat, AMAZINGLY well done story, phenomenal voice acting (Jennifer Hale) the dialogue tree, being able to become a total dark side bad-ass! overall one of the best Rpgs you can get your hands on don't even think twice about buying it if you even slightly like Star Wars or role playing games... Expand
  76. Jun 17, 2013
    Best RPG of all time, replay value of over 10 years and the massive mod collection constantly enhances the experience. No doubt, this game deserves a 10/10
  77. Jun 17, 2013
    This is one of the classic BioWare RPG. Do I have to say more? This is the first time they are leaving D&D as base of their RPG. The game is still based on pen & paper like rules and feels like sci-fy version on D&D. The story is happening in the universe of Old Republic (the is long before Star Wars movies) so creators have enough space for their own creativity, but still fans of SW willThis is one of the classic BioWare RPG. Do I have to say more? This is the first time they are leaving D&D as base of their RPG. The game is still based on pen & paper like rules and feels like sci-fy version on D&D. The story is happening in the universe of Old Republic (the is long before Star Wars movies) so creators have enough space for their own creativity, but still fans of SW will see lot of familiar places. Player cannot choose any race but human this is little bit shame, but no worries shortly you will find lot of companions, so you would enjoy playing as wookiee or android. As it is common for BioWare every companion have his own agenda and history and would by stepping into conversation when he think he have something to say. As the story will proceed you will be getting more informations from their past and from time to time they will ask you to help them. The story is really great and with twists and stuffs that make RPG good RPG. It will lead you to different planets each is completely different world with own culture, flora, fauna and inhabitants. Main quest is pretty long and there is also lot of side quests I spent 40 h on first play through. The game have good repeatability as you can choose if you are going to complete quests with affliction to light or dark side of the Force plus there are also different possibilities how to solve problems based on yours skill as persuading, stealth, repair, computers, demolition each have its own use an there is now skill that would be there just for numbers as it in many games. The fighting system is intuitive. Fights with easier opponents may feel bit dull, but at least they are quick. You are able to use different items as grenades, mines stimulants, different skills for shooting and melee weapons and also force powers as stun, push-back or throwing your lightsaber.
    Graphic is pretty good and in full HD resolution still look really good as this from 2003. I think this is one of the best RPG ever made a have all those things that nowadays sand box RPG lack depth, emotions you really like some characters and you don't do quests just for money, but you really wan't to help somebody or stop that bad guy.
  78. Jun 5, 2013
    Probably the best Star Wars game of all time, and one of the greatest role-playing games ever produced. You get an incredibly engrossing story with tons of customization. This means you get tons of different feats, powers, equipment, weapons, etc. to use at your disposal, along with three classes to choose from at the start. With so many side quests to do and decisions to make (leading youProbably the best Star Wars game of all time, and one of the greatest role-playing games ever produced. You get an incredibly engrossing story with tons of customization. This means you get tons of different feats, powers, equipment, weapons, etc. to use at your disposal, along with three classes to choose from at the start. With so many side quests to do and decisions to make (leading you towards the light side or dark side, with multiple endings too), no single playthrough will be the same. That's really saying something especially considering that the game is about 40 hours long, so there's definitely some very hefty replay value.

The way that Bioware let us be who we are as a person (all set in the glorious Star Wars universe) is simply astounding. There are tons of planets to visit, and it's pretty amazing to see all of them come to life. There are tons of characters to talk to on each planet; some can give you advice, some gamble, some give you quests, while others will even fight you. Many characters (particularly my party members) are extremely memorable like the fan favorite HK-47, for example. I found myself become very attached to some, and the interaction is basically limitless. By the way, the voice acting (which you'll be hearing quite a bit) is incredible. The lip syncing is pretty good as well. And of course, the graphics are great, especially for the time.

This is an RPG, so you will continuously get stronger, and I felt extremely powerful by the end. The fighting system is excellent. Basically, you choose the moves you want to perform before fighting and the battle plays out in real-time. A die is rolled in order to decide whether your attack will land or not. All in all, it works very well. Everything is pretty smooth, and I didn't encounter many glitches. If you're going to buy it on Steam, be wary of playing it on Windows 7, as there could potentially be TONS of glitches.

All in all, this is a groundbreaking, near-perfect game that will forever stand the test of time. In my mind, it will probably be considered a classic in a few years from now. It's that good. If you haven't played this Bioware masterpiece yet, then GO PLAY IT NOW. Even if you're not a Star Wars fan. You'll love every bit and will never forget it!
  79. May 30, 2013
    A true masterpiece of role-play genre. Incredible depth in dialogue options gives you numerous ways to resolve any conflict and it is all followed by top-notch voice over. Combine this with a variety of diverse locations and memorable characters and you get a really well thought out game. With a constant choice of dark and light side paths in story progression this game has enormous replay value.
  80. May 23, 2013
    Still after so many years this is the best RPG I have ever played. I have finished it several times and every single one it was a great adventure. I wish Disney would allow some companies to make a continuation. This is also one of the best Star Wars game ever. So if You are a SW fun and/or You like really nice RPG You have to play KOTOR. Even now, ten years after the premier graphics areStill after so many years this is the best RPG I have ever played. I have finished it several times and every single one it was a great adventure. I wish Disney would allow some companies to make a continuation. This is also one of the best Star Wars game ever. So if You are a SW fun and/or You like really nice RPG You have to play KOTOR. Even now, ten years after the premier graphics are acceptable and gameplay is not tiring at all. Expand
  81. May 16, 2013
    Where to start? Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is, and has been since I first finished it, my absolute favorite game. For ten years, this game, despite all of the other awesome and fantastic games I have played, still manages to be number one. Why? Because this game has what any game should, both quality and quantity.

I remember picking this game up on my Xbox for the first time.

I remember picking this game up on my Xbox for the first time. I didn’t know what to expect. I have been a Star Wars fan forever, since I saw the first movies. It was praised by critics and reviewers, so I figure I would try it. Little did I know that I would be playing a game that would inspire so many good memories in me.

I’ll start with the meat of the game—the storyline. This is probably one of the best stories I have ever experienced. It flows quite easily and was very immersive. This game introduced me to the whole “Old Republic” era of Star Wars, and as of now it is actually my favorite. This game introduces you to a story that you will love and really get involved in. It also gives you choice, such as a multitude of dialogue options which can affect the game in the end. I’m always a fan of the option to give as much choice as possible to players. There is also a very surprisingly plot twist at the near-end of the game which really makes the story pop.

The gameplay is also great. It’s sort of a fast-paced turn-based style of combat. I feel the difficulties are pretty balanced, none too easy and none too hard. The level up system is alright, but can be made better with mods (which I will discuss later on). The different skills and whatnot are very helpful throughout the game, such as Computer Use which allows you to hack into terminals and do a variety of things or Repair where you can repair broken droids to assist you in combat in that area. Combat is just very smooth and I was very happy with how they brought lightsaber battles to light.

The graphics are, in my opinion, really good for its time. You won’t be seeing HD textures or Skyrim-quality graphics, but really in 2003 there were few games that actually looked as good as KOTOR. But even today, it’s not all that bad looking. Planets are pretty good looking and heads for models are detailed.

This game really shines on the PC, and the reason why is because you can mod it. The KOTOR Filefront has thousands of mods which you can easily install to improve the game, either gameplay-wise or cosmetic-wise. I love it when a game has modding capabilities, and BioWare was kind enough to make this game easily moddable. I always mod it when I play it and it makes gameplay even better than it is vanilla.

This game is a standard for all role-playing games. This is what a role-playing game should feel like, fun and never boring. It’s a must have in my opinion if you like stories and Star Wars both. I have so much nostalgia when I replay this game. I hope you all love this game as much as I have.
  82. May 5, 2013
    One of the best games ever made. If you're not a fan of the combat then the amazing storyline will be the ultimate drug which will keep you playing until the end. KOTOR is the only game I've ever played through more than twice.
  83. Apr 26, 2013
    simply the best star wars game i've ever played. This is my kind of story based RPG. It does have some annoying qualities but the good far out ways the bad in this situation. If your only into hack and slash and shoot em' up games this is not for you. If you love story based/character driven RPG's this game is for you. If you love the star wars universe this game is for you. all i want nowsimply the best star wars game i've ever played. This is my kind of story based RPG. It does have some annoying qualities but the good far out ways the bad in this situation. If your only into hack and slash and shoot em' up games this is not for you. If you love story based/character driven RPG's this game is for you. If you love the star wars universe this game is for you. all i want now is KOTOR 3 Expand
  84. Apr 24, 2013
    This is so amazing this will stick with you for a long long time after you finish it. This is a true masterpiece when someone should think of what is a good R.P.G. K.O.T.O.R. should be the first thing to come mind. Great combat mechanics AMAZING STORY unmatched this might be my favorite plot a game has thrown to me so far just stunning and i love game that give you a choice and there isThis is so amazing this will stick with you for a long long time after you finish it. This is a true masterpiece when someone should think of what is a good R.P.G. K.O.T.O.R. should be the first thing to come mind. Great combat mechanics AMAZING STORY unmatched this might be my favorite plot a game has thrown to me so far just stunning and i love game that give you a choice and there is no good ending both endings are good you can play the way you want and get the ending you deserve you don't need to be super careful about that you say because even if you go with the technically bad ending its fantastic also it does what mass effect did wrong with the dialogue when you click on a dialogue option you will say exactly what's written that's what's brings us to the voice acting which is truly the best I've ever heard it makes me want Bastille's babies that much more and there are so many memorable characters who leave a lasting impression and so many wonderful places to go and explore with wonderful level design filled with side quests and brimming with secrets just such a wonderful game this game is a true gem in an industry that's full of terrible reboots and sequels (including this game's sequel) but this is one of those games where if even if the next 100 to come are terrible you still had this one glories game this is currently the pinnacle of gaming and i don't see it being topped any time soon. Expand
  85. Apr 16, 2013
    Great RPG. Great Star Wars game. Enjoyed it from A to Z. So much information about the Star Wars universe. Its hard to believe this game was made in 2003 since it is so full of information and there is so much to do and learn in this universe. No wonder why people are asking for KOTOR3 so much.
  86. Mar 6, 2013
    Just replayed this after several years and despite having to jump through some hoops to make it work on a modern computer this game is still just as amazing as it was years ago.
  87. Jaz
    Feb 23, 2013
    This is another classic who set the limit of PC Games far too high. Has its flaws but story and immersion propel it to 10. Must play if you haven't even if you aren't a Star Wars fan.
  88. Dec 18, 2012
    I made an account on here just so I could write this review. I even went through all the reviews and clicked the good ones and bad ones, because people need to know that this is one of the greatest RPGs ever made. If you don't like Star Wars or never cared for it, and want a solid RPG, this is your ticket. If you like Star Wars and have been a fan for who knows how long, then nobody hasI made an account on here just so I could write this review. I even went through all the reviews and clicked the good ones and bad ones, because people need to know that this is one of the greatest RPGs ever made. If you don't like Star Wars or never cared for it, and want a solid RPG, this is your ticket. If you like Star Wars and have been a fan for who knows how long, then nobody has done anything greater in the gaming industry for you than this. Play this game. It's a masterpiece, it's well written, loads of fun, and not only that, but you can mod the game with mods from Filefront and add tons more replay value to it. You're not just staring at a game my friends; you're staring at an exquisite work of art. Expand
  89. Dec 5, 2012
    This game is a monster. I can still grap it and finish again... spend LOTS of hours on this game.. it's epic! You build your very own Jedi, hang around at pubs and drink beer :D travel around and search for components to build up lightsabers... MANY opportunities.

If they made a new game like this one these days, Metascritic would go crazy about this game ;D for real. It brings good memories.
  90. Dec 5, 2012
    One of the best Star Wars games ever made, KOTOR introduces an amnesiac protagonist ready to face his destiny. The best part is that we control his path in the story with moral choices with options to choose, in which they will reveal the light or dark path of our character. If the developers created a more complete character creator, this game would be just magnificent.
  91. Nov 26, 2012
    I was a big fan of Bioware rpgs, but this one slipped under the radar and I missed it. Just bought it very recently.

At first I was slightly underwhelmed. Graphics, while not bad, are clearly from a previous generation of machines. I found combat somewhat uninteresting. But I said I would keep on going, because I could see that there was something there. And I am so glad I did.

And I am so glad I did. Combat I got used to, and it becomes far more enjoyable after you advance the plot a bit. Characters were great. The game became really, really fun. But the story...wow...it blew me away. It could be a movie. I cannot think of another rpg that compares.

I don't know how I missed this, but I am so glad I managed to put that right.
  92. Nov 20, 2012
    Great game! The storyline, the diverse locations that can be explored, and the general gameplay make this game stand out above almost all others. It I had to make a list of my top ten favorite games of all time, this would definitely make the list. It's a must play for any RPG fans, and really for any fans of video games at all.
  93. Nov 15, 2012
    Words cannot describe how much fun I had playing this, It's like that one childhood game that will always be special to you, I have played through this game countless times and it never gets old for me, If you are a fan of star wars games then stop reading this review and go and buy this game!
  94. Oct 31, 2012
    This is the best game ever!,if your looking for an awesome game this is it! it so fun and you will enjoy every min of it, so get for PC or Xbox, it is an awesome game! 10 out of 10
  95. Oct 17, 2012
    There are very few games that I would describe as "essentially perfect". This game is one of them. I have never played a better classic RPG, and certainly never a better classic RPG that also had a story to rival the original Star Wars movies. I cannot recommend this game enough. If you like a great story with great characters and deep gameplay, then you must play this game.

But if you

But if you are one of the children who require fast, furious and shallow gameplay with no reading required of you then I suppose you must skip this title and go back to Call of Battlefield 7.
  96. Sep 3, 2012
    I may be biased since this is my favorite video game of all time, but this game is truly amazing. The first game that ever made me consider video games as a means of storytelling. A lot of people who complained about this game don't really seem to have an understanding of the game's mechanics. It's fun, I still play it after 9 years of owning it, and the story is probably the best in theI may be biased since this is my favorite video game of all time, but this game is truly amazing. The first game that ever made me consider video games as a means of storytelling. A lot of people who complained about this game don't really seem to have an understanding of the game's mechanics. It's fun, I still play it after 9 years of owning it, and the story is probably the best in the Star Wars Universe. There aren't too many ways this game could have been better for its time. Expand
  97. Sep 3, 2012
    It's certainly the best thing the Star Wars franchised has created since The Empire Strikes Back, and its one of the best RPG's created as well. Fantastic narrative, characters, atmosphere, level design, and gameplay all make KOTOR a groundbreaking game.
  98. Aug 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is seriously one of my favourite games of all time. Sure it's a bit dated, with a more primitive NPC dialogue system, and the graphics are a little out of date. But this game still holds up. You can mix and match party members for different fighting styles, talk to your NPC companions which are well written and feel like real people. I do have a few gripes about it though, the customization is a bit lacking, you choose from a set of heads, then you choose from 3 different classes, which don't really matter because you're forced to become a Jedi. Blasters are pretty much useless, because you're forced to use a light sabre. I feel if this game got an HD remake, with combat like Dragon Age, along with the character customization, better NPC interactions, and more items to mix and match, it would be a near perfect game. The story in this game is amazing, it has a major plot twist that you wouldn't expect. No matter the flaws of this game, it will always be one of my favourite games of all time. It's a must buy for any Star Wars or RPG fan. Expand
  99. Aug 9, 2012
    I've never played such an amazing game, KotOR probably has one of the best story lines. It would be sweet if they remade it with better graphics, models and character customization other than a preset face. Either way this is defiantly in the top five of my favorite games.
  100. Aug 6, 2012
    All things considered, this is one of my favorite games ever. The gameplay is fun, the story is amazing, and the character development is interesting (the latter two you could guess after seeing Bioware). If you are a Star Wars fan and don't hate RPGs, then you're sure to like this game. With that said, the game does have its flaws: an annoying inventory system, boring mini-game, and aAll things considered, this is one of my favorite games ever. The gameplay is fun, the story is amazing, and the character development is interesting (the latter two you could guess after seeing Bioware). If you are a Star Wars fan and don't hate RPGs, then you're sure to like this game. With that said, the game does have its flaws: an annoying inventory system, boring mini-game, and a leveling system which punishes you if you don't spec as melee from the start. But, in my humble opinion, the game more than makes up for these shortcomings. Given that Bioware chose to make a Star Wars MMO, I doubt we'll ever see if KOTR3, but I suppose I can keep my fingers crossed... Expand

1. Game Informer
    The level of control that you have over your characters' actions is truly remarkable... Simply put, this is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since the original trilogy. [Feb 2004, p.112]
  2. This is a class act that builds and extends the Star Wars game franchise and PC gamers are getting something their kindred XBOX owners loved to bits and will not be disappointed in any way.
  3. It offers some pretty fundamental improvements over the Xbox version and stands as one of the best PC RPGs out there.