9.0

1. Aug 17, 2010
    Not ported very well for the pc, I've even got an entire save that corrupted itself and forced me to start over. Overall the kotor experience is still intact.
  2. Aug 21, 2010
    Brilliant game. It really doesn't get much better than this. Story, graphics, gameplay, voice acting is of highest quality. This is the most replayed game by me, and I come back every year or two to play it, and it's 6 or more years old!
  3. Aug 26, 2010
    Awesome game. Highly recommended. Oh and be prepared to sink about 50-60 hours of your life into this game. Good graphics, good game balance, great story and locations epic finale & climax
  4. Dec 2, 2010
    I love this game. The game play is immersive and purely strategic. You have to decide whether or not you want to throw a grenade, whether or not to use the force or conserve your energy, what melee attack you want to use, how to use your mines and along with that, there's an actual story line! This will definitely be a game to beat. It even has it's own special, original combat system! This is also shown to be a true RPG (not one of those fake ones that claim to one) by allowing the player to make choices that align his/her player to the dark side or light side, whether it be to help someone, give away someones position, stand for what's right or wrong, or merely kill someone. I give this ten out of ten. Expand
  5. Sep 3, 2012
    It's certainly the best thing the Star Wars franchised has created since The Empire Strikes Back, and its one of the best RPG's created as well. Fantastic narrative, characters, atmosphere, level design, and gameplay all make KOTOR a groundbreaking game.
  6. Sep 14, 2010
    The best game ever. A great Star Wars RPG with an incredible replay value, especially due to the fact it is open ended. The story is really immersing as you get involved to it. A classic game which had its sequel in KOTOR 2, but still deserves KOTOR 3 and not SWTOR, the MMORPG.
  7. Mar 26, 2011
    I have a bone to pick with a number of Star Wars games. after brilliant titles like Jedi Knight and X-Wing or TIE Fighter, the franchise became monotonous, and very often frustratingly difficult. This is absolutely not the case with KOTOR. The game is challenging, the story captivating, and the level design fantastic. Moreover, it is a great RPG in its own right, regardless whether one is a fan of the Star Wars franchise or not. By the way, playing this game makes you feel like its a precursor to the Mass Effect series, which I like alot.. Expand
  8. Nov 10, 2010
    There's too much text in dialog, but you can skip that. The combat could have been more involved for shooter kids, but it serves right at being fully stat-based (as an RPG should, anyway). Your moves shouldn't matter too much apart from your built character, so these complaints about the game being "for kids" I can see as biased. Apart from all this, loved the variety in missions and story. The age of it all hardly makes any difference. Having said that, producing a current-gen game of same amount varied content would require too much resources with all the hi-def visuals developers overuse these days. If you love Star Wars, love RPG, aren't a fan of purely reaction-based (first person) games, this is your cup of tea. Expand
  9. Oct 23, 2010
    This is the definite version of this game. The updated graphics and added features like quests and overall tweaks makes a great game something amazing.
  10. Oct 3, 2010
    I was hesitating to get this game for quite some time even though I was a fan of bioware games. After finally deciding to get it, all I can say that its an awesome game. Love the plot and excellent graphics for its time. It still looks good after all these years.
  11. Oct 26, 2010
    The best thing to have ever happened to Star Wars. KOTOR's story is unlike anything else. Any true Star Wars fan or fan of video games in general needs to get over the aged gameplay elements and graphics in order see one of the most genius video game stories in history.
  12. Oct 27, 2010
    This is by far the best RPG i have ever played. The only thing it misses is widescreen support. But so does almost all good games so i wont base my score around that.
  13. Dec 26, 2010
    Its DnD and Star Wars, come on now. Jedi are a little broken but otherwise the rpg system is great. It's also nice that the game is set in a time period way before anything from the trilogy so it doesn't have to rewrite stuff. The characters are great, the story is amazing, what else do you need?
  14. Dec 31, 2010
    I would have to say this is now in the top five games I have ever played the storyline is amazing and there is so much to do in this game, I wish I would have herd about his one much sooner than last year, don't ask how I went that long without playing this Masterpiece of an RPG, If you like making you own choices and love star wars this is going to be in bed with you every night, sleeping with you I promise lol. Expand
  15. Jan 6, 2011
    The Star Wars Universe expands to one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Rarely do you see an epic storyline mixed with intense gameplay in todays games. It is definitely one people will talk about for years.
  16. Apr 15, 2011
    I don't believe there's any question now as to if this game is a masterpiece. The emotional characters, the brilliant storyline, eye-piping visuals, paired with extremely fun game-play define SWKOR as a classic. Genius through and through.
  17. Oct 7, 2011
    I have to say it first this is not my type of game. I appreciated Bioware creating such a great story and awesome characters after the absolutely dull neverwinter nights, but the gameplay of this game is really bad. The problem I have mostly lies in the combat system. I've played D&D based games, so I understand this kind of RPG system however the combat in this game is boring, repetative, slow and unrealistic. You end up selecting attack actions, and waiting for your character to do them over and over again. On the good side though this is an extensive role playing story line with a real cool light side/dark side choice system in place that lets you really develop a character. Expand
  18. X11
    Sep 20, 2011
    It's strange. I have been spoiled by "modern" graphics ever since the advent of Xbox 360, yet all my favorite titles seem to have found purchase before that. The Sims, Ocarina of Time, Half-Life, and this game. I find myself amazed that I did not pick it up until late 2011, yet I still find it one of the most engrossing video game experiences of all time. Graphics do not make the game my friends. Unfortunately this fact has been forgotten in recent times. Disheartening. I hope for more games like this in years to come. Expand
  19. Aug 16, 2011
    This game made me a fan of Star Wars and the Sith. Great game. One of my favorite games of all time. I wish someone make a remake for it on this generation video games.
  20. Jun 19, 2011
    I just played this for the first time recently, and I have to say it's one of the best games I've ever played. It's like a good book that you don't want to put down. After playing through it once I'm already looking forward to playing it again.
  21. Feb 6, 2011
    I'm a gamer and Star Wars fan... but I hate this game. The graphics are terrible even for 2003. No widescreen for example. The gameplay is boring. The story is boring and long drawn out. I couldn't play it more than 3 hours. I want to like this game, but it just sucks. Now I can't submit my score with Chrome OR IE. These are rigged votes
  22. Apr 5, 2011
    Absolutely incredible! There were so many details in every world and I loved the way that you could personalize each character. Atmospheric, captivating and the music was terrific.
  23. Mar 20, 2011
    I am a Star Wars fan. When I was little, I watched the movies CONSTANTLY. This game is a dream come true. Become a jedi, become a sith... what more could you want? Almost no flaws in this game.
  24. Mar 25, 2011
    In my opinion, this is the 2nd best RPG ever created right behind Baldur's Gate 2. The combat is very fun even though the flexibility of the class design is limited. The story of this game is Supreme against Buldur's Gate 2, though the overall gameplay isn't. Anyhow this game has GREAT gameplay a Story that is good enough to rival the Original Trilogy, and is the most expansive Star wars universe in any star wars RPG. The graphics were insanely great for its time and is still really good. I've played through this game 11 times now. and Still want to keep playing it. but i know this game is going to be bumped down by SWTOR. Overall no human can dislike this game, nor not worship it's awesomeness! Expand
  25. Mar 15, 2011
    A great role playing game based on the star wars universe. The graphics are very good for its time, the game-play is very good, and the story line is very good. I recommend this game to any one who is into star wars and into the role playing game style.

It's a great game!
  26. Feb 12, 2012
    KotOR was not without its flaws, but a great classic nonetheless. Systemically, it borrowed from thew Baldur's Gates and other 'pause and plan' combat RPG's... The pause and plan combat is definitely not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. The characters were the stars of the show. I mean, HK47, mirite?
  27. Jun 21, 2011
    Hands down my favourite Star Wars game to date. And one can argue it's one of the best RPG's of all time. The great story, the fantastic characters and the beautiful worlds made this into a game that I will never forget.
  28. May 1, 2011
    KOTOR is one of the best RPGs that has ever been made. Though slightly aged at this point, the storyline is one that truly makes the player feel like the fate of the galaxy is in their hands. Companions are interesting, equipment customization was awesome, and the game, overall, is legendary. Pick this up for $10 on steam. It'll be well worth it!
  29. Mar 19, 2011
    Probably the best RPG I've ever played. If you're a Star Wars fan, you should definitely play this game. Good graphics, good dialogue, combat is good though It might be too easy after a while and great story. A game at which you won't wonder why it's a GOTY.
  30. Mar 20, 2011
    This was the first Bioware game I ever played, and one of the first PC games as well. I was completely blown away, it's an amazing game and turned me into a Bioware fan. The story is fantastic, though of course by today's standards the game play and graphics are dated... but I think that RPG fans won't care, because we're in it for the experience and this game delivers.
  31. Mar 20, 2011
    This game is a masterpiece, after all this years it is in my heart and now and then I play it again. The story is amazing and for a game released in 2003 it's graphics still look very nice (try playing baldur's gate or diablo II on a 32'' screen and you ll see what I mean).
  32. Sep 18, 2011
    I just dont like the game play the game plays for you and the quests are confusing i had no idea where to go. This game is too overrated i hope the next one will be better
  33. Mar 25, 2011
    This is the best game of all time, best RPG, incredible story, great characters, perfect gameplay and I could go on like that. Everything is perfect about this game and if you are a SW fan, you can't find anything better. And even if you are not, you will still have a blast.
  34. Apr 3, 2011
    If there was one thing in all of the Star Wars media that got me hooked into this universe, its KOTOR. This game sucked me right in and soon I was living and breathing Star Wars. Filled with a cast of unforgettable characters, great storytelling (with one of the best OMG moments in gaming history), and solid gameplay; KOTOR is still the greatest RPG ever made!
  35. Apr 5, 2011
    Firstly, I want to clarify that these are not "rigged votes", as the KOTOR haters seem to be claiming them to be. If you read the sparse 0-rating reviews below, you'll notice some common factors: a general impatience with games and a lack of appreciation for anything that requires more player input than simply clicking left-mouse to attack. Simply put, KOTOR is a masterpiece. I played it again for the second time (I first played it after its release in 2003), and finished it yesterday with a total playtime of 45+ hours, and I regret not a single second of gameplay. The story, characters and setting are masterly created, with an epic soundtrack, spectacularly flawless voice-acting (I genuinely feel like I know the characters, in particular Carth Onasi, Mission Vao, Juhani, Jolee Bindo and Bastilla Shan, as people, and almost as companions). Do yourself a favour and get this game. Expand
  36. Apr 5, 2011
    7 years after the release, this game may still be the best single player RPG out there, or at least among the top. The storyline is intense. The characters are unforgettable. Every aspect of the game rocks. The game has a high replay value due to all of the RPG decisions you make, and end the end it may be the best Star Wars game to date.
  37. May 5, 2014
    A very solid RPG that helped to establish BioWare's pre-EA reputation as one of the best developers in the business. Strong characters, multiple varied environments, a variety of gameplay types, and an interesting narrative that comes to a satisfying conclusion. (Unlike the sequel.)
    It's a 2003 release, so the graphics, combat, inventory management, and long travel/exploration times
    should be expected. That said, the lightsaber battles are great, and the game just oozes with charm. You can really see where the inspiration for the Mass Effect series came from. Expand
  38. Apr 21, 2011
    This was the first RPG I ever played and even today compare any RPG I play to this one. Great story with a truly suprising twist, realistic fighting that I wish more RPGs had, and great characters are the staple of this game. The only downside: morality really doesn't affect the ending.
  39. Apr 18, 2011
    i played this game back when it was released and i actually liked this game. the story plot i didnt pay attention to but the gameplay was awesome. i played on the original xbox and the fighting was smooth. on pc i dont know it might suck. but xbox version rocked
  40. May 3, 2012
    The Best Star Wars game ever! The story just great and unforgetable. Maybe the fight is slow when you played the 3.921.034th times over, but put that away this game is great and everyone should play with this at least onece in his/her life.
  41. Apr 26, 2011
    My favourite game of all time. It has everything; Good game play, writing, plot, really in depth characters and the one of the most satisfying endings I have come across. An absolute jewel.
  42. May 8, 2011
    One of the best games I ever played, it has everything....action, adventure..romance and a happy ending!! Despite the fact it was quite old when I played it, I replayed and replayed it as the story and character development was just wonderful. If you havent played this, get it and play it, you wont regret it!
  43. May 17, 2011
    Knights of the Old Republic is the best game I've played. The story is simply brilliant, the gameplay is bundles of fun, and the characters are so real... which is amazing considering it's sci-fi!
  44. Dec 28, 2011
    This game had one of the best stories I have experienced in a game, I hated the turn based combat and still loved this game because of the story and the cool cast of characters.
  45. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In this day and age, their are much better games within the same genre. Personally I think its just Star Wars fans in general and Xbox users that remembered the game fondly. I remembered the game fondly too, until I played it a few months ago. Class system is broken, Persuasion or treat injury are the only two skills that actually matter, Soldier is unintelligent, Scoundrel has terrible starting stats and Scout is the most balanced class in the entire game start to finish. Dialogue is a chore and the multiple choices aren't really worth the investment. Characters aren't all that interesting either and some things like the entire "subplot" of being on Taris is immediately made pointless by the fact that the planet is destroyed (conveniently after you've left of course) later. I could never understand why scripted story sequences couldn't be skipped, as they look terrible and once you've seen them in your first play through you don't really need to see them again. For Windows 7 x64 users, the game does work, but the widescreen fix for the game is mostly broken in the inventory menus, and a "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" needs to applied to the games config in order to stop it from crashing all over the place constantly. Its not a terrible game, though maybe I'm biased as I don't really like Mass Effect either. Of course that may be because Mass Effects mirrors so much of Knights of The Old Republic that it doesn't really deserve any of its individual praise either. Expand
  46. May 27, 2011
    BioWares masterpiece. Fantastic RPG. Supreme story, characters , combat ...everything is done soooo good, that i can only rate this game with 10. Oh, and its Star Wars :)
  47. Oct 17, 2012
    There are very few games that I would describe as "essentially perfect". This game is one of them. I have never played a better classic RPG, and certainly never a better classic RPG that also had a story to rival the original Star Wars movies. I cannot recommend this game enough. If you like a great story with great characters and deep gameplay, then you must play this game.

But if you
    are one of the children who require fast, furious and shallow gameplay with no reading required of you then I suppose you must skip this title and go back to Call of Battlefield 7. Expand
  48. Jun 17, 2013
    This is one of the classic BioWare RPG. Do I have to say more? This is the first time they are leaving D&D as base of their RPG. The game is still based on pen & paper like rules and feels like sci-fy version on D&D. The story is happening in the universe of Old Republic (the is long before Star Wars movies) so creators have enough space for their own creativity, but still fans of SW will see lot of familiar places. Player cannot choose any race but human this is little bit shame, but no worries shortly you will find lot of companions, so you would enjoy playing as wookiee or android. As it is common for BioWare every companion have his own agenda and history and would by stepping into conversation when he think he have something to say. As the story will proceed you will be getting more informations from their past and from time to time they will ask you to help them. The story is really great and with twists and stuffs that make RPG good RPG. It will lead you to different planets each is completely different world with own culture, flora, fauna and inhabitants. Main quest is pretty long and there is also lot of side quests I spent 40 h on first play through. The game have good repeatability as you can choose if you are going to complete quests with affliction to light or dark side of the Force plus there are also different possibilities how to solve problems based on yours skill as persuading, stealth, repair, computers, demolition each have its own use an there is now skill that would be there just for numbers as it in many games. The fighting system is intuitive. Fights with easier opponents may feel bit dull, but at least they are quick. You are able to use different items as grenades, mines stimulants, different skills for shooting and melee weapons and also force powers as stun, push-back or throwing your lightsaber.
    Graphic is pretty good and in full HD resolution still look really good as this from 2003. I think this is one of the best RPG ever made a have all those things that nowadays sand box RPG lack depth, emotions you really like some characters and you don't do quests just for money, but you really wan't to help somebody or stop that bad guy.
  49. Mar 6, 2012
    This is a game that shows how and why console games can be excellent games; classics, even.

The PC port is pretty good, as the story and gameplay loses none of its excellence through the transition. This is one of those rare things: a perfect game.
  50. Mar 12, 2012
    Knights of the Old Republic is one the best Star Wars games I've played. It has great plot, fancy graphics (they look fine even for 2012), solid RPG system and good characters. The main flaw is a combat system: it doesn't have too much features, but the player must fight carefully, using all the skills and weapons his characters have. Characters' animations are quite good and effects are nice. Every Star Wars fan and RPG fan should try it. Expand
  51. Apr 3, 2014
    This and the Battlefront series are the greatest Star Wars games ever. Every other SW game is seemingly irrelevant compared to these two. As for KOTOR, the story is set 4000 years before the rise of the Galactic Empire. It has one of the greatest twists I have ever seen. If you say you're a Star Wars fan, but have not played this game, then you're not a true fan. Gameplay is also awesome, and you can choose whether to be aligned with the Light Side, or the Dark Side. I'm still waiting for KOTOR 3 as I don't believe The Old Republic (the F2P game) doesn't cut it. Expand
  52. Feb 22, 2012
    in all honesty, this game was boring, the action was you target one person and wait for the turns to go by, so more of a turn based combat scenario, and i didnt really here much music to keep you playing....
    the story was what kept me in the game, and the several different ways to end the game its really story based more than anything.... fun-6, story-10, gameplay-8, and theirs nothing
    more but heres a thing to add, voice acting-7, map design or the background-9 Expand
  53. Jul 22, 2011
    I originally completed this when it first came out and remember enjoying it thoroughly, six or seven years down the line and I picked it up on Steam for a bargain £3 to replace my knackered CDROM copy, and decided to give the game a replay. Initial thoughts: the years have not been kind to KOTOR, however perseverance opened up a truly brilliant (Star Wars) game - the dated visuals haven't done the game any favours but they don't hinder one's enjoyment of the title either, this kept me hooked for a full 22 hours. Expand
  54. Jul 29, 2011
    The first attempts at play through in this game were rough. ( I knew this was an RPG from the get go however. Any one who picked this up back when it was new expecting JK series game play was a moron.) After sitting back and examining how i was allotting points for stats and skills however I managed to create a character that played through to finish the game. I realized a few things. Bioware makes challenging games. They really push the boundary of: How much will I let myself get immersed and what mechanics will i explore? There is a wrong way to play and select stats and abilities and this is a good thing. There is still choice. You just have to know what you are doing to create the character you want to play. I like this game more than dragon age origins admittedly because it is a bit more forgiving if you get yourself in a sticky situation. Expand
  55. Mar 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of my all-time favorite Star Wars games. I love how it tells the story of what happened before any of the movies ever took place. The story follows your character who has no memory of his life, and goes out to find out. It turns out he is very sensitive in the force, and has the skills of a Jedi. Meanwhile, the game's main villain Darth Malek is looking for an ultimate weapon to power his Sith fleet. This game also has multiple endings depending on your choices in the game. If you make good choices (such as saving the lives of others, or helping the needy), then you follow the path of the Jedi, but if you make bad choices (killing the needy, torturing people), then you go onto the Sith. Making these choices will change not only your personality and traits, but also how events in the game will play out. I would give an example, but that would be spoiling too much. As for the gameplay, it is excellent. You have a lot of freedom to make choices in the game (not total freedom, but freedom enough), and you can have a lot of fun doing it too. The combat may be turn-based like in any other RPG, but you wouldn't know it from how graphic it is. There are many animations your character can do in combat, and it all makes it look so real. This makes the combat in this game much more enjoyable. The graphics are enjoyable as well. Everything in this game looks very bright and colorful. Overall, this is an excellent Star Wars game. However, believe it or not, this is not my favorite Star Wars game (that would be Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy). The only real problem I have with this game is its sequel. Unlike most people, I think that KOTOR II kind of, uh, sucks (read my review of that game for more details), but who am I to think that the first game is bad just because of its sequel? Overall this game is flawless, and it should not be judged by KOTOR II. Expand
  56. Sep 22, 2011
    The very first RPG I ever played. And goddamn, couldn't have started off on a better foot. This is sorta like deciding to watch your very first superhero movie and picking The Dark Knight. Everything that comes after just seems like a letdown. That's kinda how I feel about KOTOR. And you've gotta know this about me, I **** hate Star Wars. Never been fond of it. But this game... this story just sucked me in and never let go. I absolutely had to keep playing to find out what was going to happen to these characters I'd become attached to. To do this to me, someone who had never played RPGs, didn't like em, and had no interest in Star Wars either, well... that's just about the highest compliment I think I can give. Too bad its sequel couldn't match the great story of the first one. But alas, lightning in a bottle only happens every once in a while. Expand
  57. May 30, 2013
    A true masterpiece of role-play genre. Incredible depth in dialogue options gives you numerous ways to resolve any conflict and it is all followed by top-notch voice over. Combine this with a variety of diverse locations and memorable characters and you get a really well thought out game. With a constant choice of dark and light side paths in story progression this game has enormous replay value.
  58. Oct 16, 2011
    I just lol at the people who give it a negative rating. They must be hardcore star wars nerd with unbelievable high standards... I can already see one....This game really does deserve its rating.
  59. Dec 20, 2011
    I actually played KOTOR 2 before I ever heard of KOTOR; Subsequent to completing KOTOR 2 I scoured every Wal-mart and Futureshop in hopes of finding the first game of the series. I was pleasantly rewarded while I was one day rummaging through a platinum hits bin, and at that point in time I had no idea what I was in for. KOTOR is my number two Star Wars gaming experience (just falls short of SWG in its prime) and perhaps the best RPG I've ever played. The story is perfectly immersible, I really found myself believing I was some heroic amnesiac turned galactic saviour, and I also found the companions to be compelling and well written characters. The plot kept me hooked and the twist left my jaw dropped to the floor. KOTOR has aged well for a game released in 2003 and I'd recommend any Star Wars fan or gamer play it at least once. Expand
  60. Nov 20, 2012
    Great game! The storyline, the diverse locations that can be explored, and the general gameplay make this game stand out above almost all others. It I had to make a list of my top ten favorite games of all time, this would definitely make the list. It's a must play for any RPG fans, and really for any fans of video games at all.
  61. May 23, 2012
    Ok, I played this game back in 2004 or something and me and my brother played it over and over and over, and it was fun, but I didnt really get what the stats or anything meant so I was pretty **** at the game. I just played it and now I love it even more because I actually stand a chance at beating it! (I never beat it before). Truly a must play if you love Bioware and Star Wars
  62. Nov 29, 2011
    I remember when I 1st heard about this game I had taken a long hiatus from Star Wars for years I got an Xbox specially because I wanted this game after I saw it won game of the year on spikeTV. I couldn't put this game down for a months I did everything and than did it over again. Game of the Year yes I would even consider it the game of the Decade along with CoD4.
  63. Nov 25, 2011
    Even on today's standards this game is excellent! Graphics are not really at todays level, but what can you expect from game which was released in 2003. Gameplay and storyline are something for other games to look up to. If you haven't been introduced to KOTOR, do it now! It's on sale in many places under 10 bucks.
  64. Dec 23, 2011
    Okay, anyone who doesn't like this became assuming its boring is a noob at this game. For you people who thought it was boring and is a noob, learn how to experience this game. I had a hard time getting use to the experience of the game when I first played, but its the greatest Star Wars game EVER!
  65. Dec 17, 2011
    This game has the best story of any game I, being quite an active gamer, have ever played. This is a masterpiece, and anytime anyone mentions the best game ever, this immediately comes to mind. Sure, it may have a few glitches and bugs, but these are more than compensated for.
  66. Mar 10, 2012
    Ladies nad gentlemen, that's BIoWare at it's best. Probably the best Star Wars cRPG. It has awesome climate and plot with great mystery. By the way, it's set nearly 4000 years before the movies, so every charater is made from basics. I can also say that some of them are as charismatic and interesting as the ones from films. The soundtrack has Star Wars quality- what else do I need to say? It's game from 2003, so visually it doesn't make any impression. Still, it has amazing animations of sword fights. Oh, there is one disadvantage: it's too linear. There isn't even any imitation of open world or a bit of non-linearity here. Still, if you're Star Wars fan or you like cRPGs- you cannot miss it. Expand
  67. Nov 8, 2012
    Good epic. It fills a lot of its time with combat, fetch quests and walking from A to B, so it cannot reach the highest game rating. But the story and the use of the license are outstanding and worth 10$ and 10 hours. But in my eyes not worth the 40-50 hours for campaign completion. It felt like transportation and fetching made up at least 20% of the game. That's about 10 hours of your time spent taking a virtual character from one side of a map to the other. Not deeply stimulating or exciting. Expand
  68. Jul 11, 2013
    The second best star wars game to his day, the first one is IMO was the sequel to this, but that's another matter, fun tactical combat, AMAZINGLY well done story, phenomenal voice acting (Jennifer Hale) the dialogue tree, being able to become a total dark side bad-ass! overall one of the best Rpgs you can get your hands on don't even think twice about buying it if you even slightly like Star Wars or role playing games... Expand
  69. Feb 2, 2012
    Un gioco epico: tutti, fin da bambini, vedendo i film di Star Wars, hanno sognato di poter vestire i panni dello Jedi e combattere il Lato Oscuro, o, al contrario, valersi dei suoi poteri per far vincere il male. Con questo gioco, io come tanti altri immagino, mi sono sentito in ciò realizzato. E nonostante lo abbia iniziato e finito ben 8 anni dopo la sua uscita, rimane un gioco attuale per coinvolgimento nella storyline e intuitività dello stile di gioco. Uniche pecche riscontrabili: non è possibile tenersi da parte qualche missione secondaria per un dopo-fine-del-gioco: infatti non c'è un dopo. Se siete amanti dei giochi finiti al 100%, sarete costretti a seguire la trama per filo e per segno (cosa non sempre facile). Un ultimo appunto: gli spostamenti all'interno delle città sono veramente tediosi, quindi premunitevi di pazienza! Expand
  70. Jul 21, 2012
    Probably the best star wars game i've ever played, the story is way better than the movies. Forget about reviewers who rants about this masterpice.
  71. May 15, 2012
    Ok this game doesn't deserve a 10, since its 2012 now and its old a relatively small. But what time doesn't improve (Like graphics, financial support) is simply perfect in this game. This is the ONLY game I've known that actually give you choices that you need to think about. The star wars ultimate Dilemma, Dark Side or Light Side, come in this game stronger then ever- You will face situations when you actually think- "hey, The Jedi code is to tense, Nothing will happen if I just use my force for little personal gain this one time" And you actually feel the burden of being a Jedi. (Why pay 500 credits for parking when you can just "convince" someone you don't need to un-violently?, This is one tiny example). Until today I have never seen choises in games so real and also effect the story line so deeply. Dialogue in this game is very advanced. Most of the times there are actually right and wrong answers and failing them will not come unforigiven. (Ever been put on trial in a RPG? this is one true masterpiece!) Plus it's Brilliant idea to use the Jedi ability to understand foreign language to cut off text acting- Personally I don't mind if the voice is total rubbish to me as long as the actual text is rich and developed. Character building in this game is great- you decide for you and your companions what are they going to be good at (Jedi are divided into three classes- depending on the light sabre skill and their force manipulation skill). There are many options and you are not going to use them all in one go. Plus the inventory allows many more modification for your weapons gadgets and robots. And of course- The storyline, which make this game a MUST for anyone who really loves star wars, even you ignore the effect of your choices on the plot. Expand
  72. Feb 9, 2012
    This game is bloody awesome. No doubt about it. An involving story, deep gameplay mechanics and great graphics all put together. This is one of those you won't be able to put down. Rightly so to. One of the best games ever.
  73. Feb 14, 2012
    To start with, the game does have it's flaws, it does however take a very petty person to majorly mark down such an incredible work for a few minor blemishes that honestly exist at face value.

First of all, the story is incredible. I don't think anyone will deny this. As an RPG, this is what you should be looking for in the game primarily. Completing the game for the first time while
    doing most of the side missions took me about 35 hours. This game is the only one I have ever played whose story has had me up until unheard of times in the morning to discover what happens next. You should also be looking for a good progression system, and this game certainly does have that, making you feel majorly rewarded for levelling up as it grants you specific but significant bonuses.

The progression is also where the games first vice lies however. As once you have a handful of force powers the game has a significant drop in difficulty if you are a meta gamer, which you probably are if you're on meta critic and/or interested in a 9 year old game. The difficulty can be reduced by a meta gamer to the point that you will probably find the final boss and mission easier than the opening tutorial of the game. I do not know whether this was intentionally done by Bioware or not to further the sense of progression and your character's developing power, but it is certainly broken as the final boss was unthinkably easy, with minor minions earlier in the game giving me a harder time. Personally, I actually like this as it does give you a sense of progression much greater than most games, when you go from desperately chewing through medkits to kill a couple of thugs to easily tossing groups of high ranking enemies (rancor) aside with 2 or 3 force powers you feel like all you've done has meant something for you personally as the player, on top of the compelling plot which has many choices and a lot of well acted, branching dialogue.

The game is paced perfectly too, you always feel like you're doing something (and for a good reason, this game features no quests that feel like arbitrary "Kill X enemy" missions, all of them are unique and compelling) and something new and interesting happens regularly so long as you don't dawdle, giving you a constant stream of interesting dialogue and missions that can last you around 35 hours.

The final thing I would like to mention is the astonishing attention to detail and clear hard work that was put into the creation of this game, unlike most blatant shameless cash ins that we are so accustomed to now. For instance, there is a cantina called "The Drunk Side" the name of which you would only discover by stopping and clicking on the sign, which most players probably wouldn't. I found that rather amusing, and it obviously is completely unnecessary, but Bioware did it for that extra polish and layer of good will. They also present you with a vast array of 'Idiot Buttons', that is, opportunities to press/say things that will cause you to be insta-killed often in ways that may amuse the player just due to how idiotic the events were. It is not only brilliant that Bioware allows the player to do silly things like those,
    but that they allow you to fail is the real stinger here.

Anyway, that is the end of my ridiculously large wall of text. I would like to point out that everyone that gave this game a score below 5 is clearly trolling and/or stupid, as this is a masterpiece of a game the likes of which I doubt we will bare witness to again for some time.
  74. Nov 26, 2012
    I was a big fan of Bioware rpgs, but this one slipped under the radar and I missed it. Just bought it very recently.

At first I was slightly underwhelmed. Graphics, while not bad, are clearly from a previous generation of machines. I found combat somewhat uninteresting. But I said I would keep on going, because I could see that there was something there.

And I am so glad I did.
    Combat I got used to, and it becomes far more enjoyable after you advance the plot a bit. Characters were great. The game became really, really fun. But the story...wow...it blew me away. It could be a movie. I cannot think of another rpg that compares.

I don't know how I missed this, but I am so glad I managed to put that right.
  75. Mar 6, 2012
    The game that has marked the end of Bioware as we knew it. Cinematic dialogue sequences, dumbed down combat mechanics, the creation of the horribly over used "four quest hub + ending" formula that has been the staple of Bioware's game since then, the concept of "light and dark side" turning into the basis of every Biowarian game (Paragon vs Renegade in ME, Open Palm vs Closed Fist in Jade Empire, Diplomatic vs Violent in DA2) a dichotomy that should've stayed with starwars but instead followed the company during the creation of their own franchises.. incredibly annoying NPCs like Carth Onasi whose emo stereotype can be found in all of the games made by Bioware after KOTOR..

KOTOR turned Bioware from a corp that made great rpg into a corp that made crappy console action games and ports.
  76. Mar 19, 2012
    This is the game that got me in to playing bioware games, and rpg's in general. It has one of the greatest stories ever in a video game, and also one of the greates star wars stories. The game also has a nice little progression system and good turn based combat, though it may be a little to easy at times. It's a game with a lot of replay value, and it's nice to see the consequences of your choices. Expand
  77. Apr 26, 2013
    simply the best star wars game i've ever played. This is my kind of story based RPG. It does have some annoying qualities but the good far out ways the bad in this situation. If your only into hack and slash and shoot em' up games this is not for you. If you love story based/character driven RPG's this game is for you. If you love the star wars universe this game is for you. all i want now is KOTOR 3 Expand
  78. Mar 14, 2013
    Now I am not gonna say its the best game ever made, it really isn't, its a good game, but nothing incredible. The story is decent, aside from the big twist (which I won't spoil, but is literally the greatest twist ever in a video game, and I mean that, its better then the Spec Ops The Line twist, the To The Moon twist, the black ops twist, seriously, its amazing) the story is a standard good vs evil, which compared to the sequels awesome shades of grey comparison of the different sides to the force, its nothing special. It runs fine on Windows 7 after some tinkering (its nowhere near as hard to get running as KoToR 2). The combat is ok, most people insulting the game seem to be because they were expecting an action shooter with melee combat. In reality, its a simplified D&D turn based RPG (yes, it has a under the bonnet D20 rolling your hit chances) with a small party of 3. The graphics are bearable modern day, and were nothing special when they came out. The animations in combat are incredible, with the enemy actually moving to parry attacks and attempt to block enemy shots, instead of just standing still when the enemy attacks, but outside of combat, it gets pretty meh, sometimes falling to bethesda level bad. It has a good amount of gameplay despite almost being linear (24 hours). You do have choices, but rarely do you get the best kind of choice where both options have significant downsides and upsides, making the choice difficult. The skills are ok, although security is completely useless (you can break every storage container open without breaking items inside like in the sequel). Jedi powers are powerful...if your character is completely based around them which can cause early game to be an ass since your not a jedi at the start. Even the immune to force final boss can have his immunity nuetralized. There is some character development, but it is nowhere near at the level of Bioware's later series Mass Effect. In summary, its a good game, but its nothings special. I do recomend it tho, since that twist is in fact something special, and you don't get the same shock value if you just look it up. (Seriously, its one of those incredible twists where its both completely unexpected, even tho the game CONSTANTLY hinted on it) Expand
  79. Apr 20, 2012
    Just this: a lot of the current games out there still can't compete with KOTOR in terms of narrative and story-telling. Definitly a must-have for the RPG lovers.
  80. Jan 7, 2013
    Old looking graphics glitch ridden turn based combat plus some annoying annoying puzzles. A couple of performance issues requiring to tweak the 'ini file' and having to play in windowed mode to get through the Shadowlands did not put me off. I found it worth playing for the great storyline also its does have some replay value due to the light/dark choices in game.
  81. May 3, 2012
    The best RPG i have played yet. This game really takes you deep in to the Star wars world and has a amazing story. Dont miss out if you like RPG!
  82. May 6, 2012
    Best game ever made. Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get it right away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  83. May 10, 2012
    Only few games have got me as immersed in a story as Knights of the Old Republic did. This game is brilliant in every aspect and deserves a full score.
  84. Aug 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is seriously one of my favourite games of all time. Sure it's a bit dated, with a more primitive NPC dialogue system, and the graphics are a little out of date. But this game still holds up. You can mix and match party members for different fighting styles, talk to your NPC companions which are well written and feel like real people. I do have a few gripes about it though, the customization is a bit lacking, you choose from a set of heads, then you choose from 3 different classes, which don't really matter because you're forced to become a Jedi. Blasters are pretty much useless, because you're forced to use a light sabre. I feel if this game got an HD remake, with combat like Dragon Age, along with the character customization, better NPC interactions, and more items to mix and match, it would be a near perfect game. The story in this game is amazing, it has a major plot twist that you wouldn't expect. No matter the flaws of this game, it will always be one of my favourite games of all time. It's a must buy for any Star Wars or RPG fan. Expand
  85. May 16, 2012
    Does no one edit these reviews? It seems fairly obvious that the same troll created multiple Metacritic accounts to leave very low reviews. Anyway, I havent played the game yet but at 7 bucks(which is what it is on Steam atm) you really cant go wrong one way or the other. I guess I also feel kinda sorry for the guy who created all those accounts simply to bring down the rating of a game on one rating site. I mean, jeesh! If you didnt like the game why waste so much more time and effort on it? Must have a pretty pathetic existance(which is where my sympathy comes in lol). Expand
  86. Jun 9, 2012
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is a "typical" game with typical values you know from golden age of Bioware / Black Isle. Good story, good for the time graphics, and more. KOTOR not only represents what is well known from Star Wars sage but expands the lore with new stories, new heroes and more. When you check a Star Wars Wiki it is easy to spot how some of the era was first explored. It is certainly more value than several other games "rehashing the well known stories". Expand
  87. May 26, 2012
    As far as I am concerned this is the greatest PC masterpiece of all time. The plot, voice-acting, game play...everything, is absolutely stunning. I recently completed this for the 12th time and I know I will still go back to it over the summer.
  88. Jun 21, 2012
    This is my all-time favorite game. Every game I play I try to rate on a scale of zero to SW: KOTOR. It will probably blow your mind too. This game has everything you want in a game: a terrific and immersing story-line, top notch voice-acting, a unique type of mechanics, and beautiful, memorable graphics. The game isn't a game that you finish in mere hours. You can spend days playing this game. That might be a con to some, but to me that just means you get to enjoy the game for a long time. All of the characters have great and easily identifiable personalities. There are different paths you can choose with your party members, so choose wisely. The game is played as a third-person turn-based RPG. Don't get frightened by turn-based, because it can be both fast and slow. It also helps you out by auto-pausing at different times (such as an enemy sighted). It's really easy to understand and different from other games. In addition to all of that, the graphics are amazing, especially for a game made just eight years ago! I really hope if you are planning to get this game you enjoy this as much as I did. Expand
  89. Jul 19, 2012
    Probably my favourite game, most of the people who have submitted negative reviews are criticising the gameplay, I guess you gotta know what you're getting into, they clearly didn't.

While it has it's flaws, I just love the game. The gameplay isn't full of action, but it's still one of the best games I've ever played.
  90. Jul 21, 2012
    ok so thei might be alot wrong with this game but for me their is alot more right, I ve played this through several times and the fact ive still never gotten sick of it is enough for me!!!!
  91. Sep 23, 2013
    Excellent game, and with the very cheap price tag now you can't go wrong. To add to it all of the mods (restored content and improved graphics) you can find available makes this a game everyone should play at least once.
  92. Aug 6, 2012
    All things considered, this is one of my favorite games ever. The gameplay is fun, the story is amazing, and the character development is interesting (the latter two you could guess after seeing Bioware). If you are a Star Wars fan and don't hate RPGs, then you're sure to like this game. With that said, the game does have its flaws: an annoying inventory system, boring mini-game, and a leveling system which punishes you if you don't spec as melee from the start. But, in my humble opinion, the game more than makes up for these shortcomings. Given that Bioware chose to make a Star Wars MMO, I doubt we'll ever see if KOTR3, but I suppose I can keep my fingers crossed... Expand
  93. May 26, 2013
    Before KOTOR, Star Wars games were notorious to be very bad. KOTOR broke that trend. KOTOR was an instant hit, and is one of the best RPG's ever made.

KOTOR was crafted at the tail end of what we gamers would like to call, the "Golden Age" of videogames. Lasting roughly from 1996-2004, this was a very exciting time for video games. Huge leaps in innovation were seen, developers and
    publishers took risks, and we saw top quality games being churned out every year. This was the age of SquareSoft's final fantasies and Blizzard's Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft series.

And then there was KOTOR and Bioware.

KOTOR has it all deep gameplay, excellent story and graphics all with a classic Star Wars soundtrack, with new and familiar tunes. KOTOR is Bioware's masterpiece, only comparable to Mass Effect 2. Bioware had managed to blend the fundamentals of traditional DnD gameplay with the more modern aspects of computer action rpg. The result is a fantastic game which pays homage to its roots while expanding gameplay to seamless, action fun with deep gameplay mechanics.

Action isnt broken up through battle-rest-battle, but rather streamlined, and Force abilities (Spells) do not have to be recharged through resting. Instead of the traditional DnD alignment system, we are given a streamlined, good-neutral-evil alignment through actions, and you will see that chage through the blue to red smoke behind your character. We also have a simplified class system. Though at first glance it may seem too simple, it is much deeper than what it lets on, and is more forgiving to players that dont choose the right feats.

But KOTOR really shines is the story. KOTOR's story is one of the best of what videogames have to offer. The writing team for KOTOR truly had their moment here. The story is so engaging, so brilliant it will have you glued to the game. In fact, I am not surprised if there are fans that are trying to make their own fan movie of KOTOR. The story is just that damn good. KOTOR really started the trend of Player Choice, as your actions have their consequences, and not just with alignment changes. Remember to play a male PC, as you'll get the full force of the story, with a meaningful romance that affects the story to the very end.

If you havent played KOTOR, you are seriously missing out on one of the best RPG's ever made.
  94. Aug 9, 2012
    I've never played such an amazing game, KotOR probably has one of the best story lines. It would be sweet if they remade it with better graphics, models and character customization other than a preset face. Either way this is defiantly in the top five of my favorite games.
  95. Sep 3, 2012
    I may be biased since this is my favorite video game of all time, but this game is truly amazing. The first game that ever made me consider video games as a means of storytelling. A lot of people who complained about this game don't really seem to have an understanding of the game's mechanics. It's fun, I still play it after 9 years of owning it, and the story is probably the best in the Star Wars Universe. There aren't too many ways this game could have been better for its time. Expand
  96. Dec 5, 2012
    This game is a monster. I can still grap it and finish again... spend LOTS of hours on this game.. it's epic! You build your very own Jedi, hang around at pubs and drink beer :D travel around and search for components to build up lightsabers... MANY opportunities.

If they made a new game like this one these days, Metascritic would go crazy about this game ;D for real. It brings good memories.
  97. Oct 31, 2012
    This is the best game ever!,if your looking for an awesome game this is it! it so fun and you will enjoy every min of it, so get for PC or Xbox, it is an awesome game! 10 out of 10
  98. Nov 15, 2012
    Words cannot describe how much fun I had playing this, It's like that one childhood game that will always be special to you, I have played through this game countless times and it never gets old for me, If you are a fan of star wars games then stop reading this review and go and buy this game!
  99. Jan 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am just a novice game player, but I enjoy it and play often. This game, while very intriguing and attractive in most senses, has a few MAJOR flaws. In the early game stages, information is difficult to come by and money to support the characters during the quests is next to impossible to acquire, making the game somewhat boring at times. I want to play the game not some stupid card game that you've got approx. 40-50% of winning, and the stakes are too low to be of much interest anyway. Or swoop bike racing that you can't beat the lowest time and dump 1000 credits trying . The money should be easier to come by without having to turn to the dark side and murdering people for it. Thats only the beginning of the problems. Sometime the characters just stand there while being mauled by a gang of sand people or other creatures that wind up killing your party before a light saber or blaster can be drawn. Something is wrong with the game command interface. Great story and respectable graphics, but the glitches and continuity are not very good, in my opinion. Expand
  100. Dec 5, 2012
    One of the best Star Wars games ever made, KOTOR introduces an amnesiac protagonist ready to face his destiny. The best part is that we control his path in the story with moral choices with options to choose, in which they will reveal the light or dark path of our character. If the developers created a more complete character creator, this game would be just magnificent.

1. The level of control that you have over your characters' actions is truly remarkable... Simply put, this is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since the original trilogy. [Feb 2004, p.112]
  2. This is a class act that builds and extends the Star Wars game franchise and PC gamers are getting something their kindred XBOX owners loved to bits and will not be disappointed in any way.
  3. It offers some pretty fundamental improvements over the Xbox version and stands as one of the best PC RPGs out there.