9.0

1. Oct 26, 2010
    The best thing to have ever happened to Star Wars. KOTOR's story is unlike anything else. Any true Star Wars fan or fan of video games in general needs to get over the aged gameplay elements and graphics in order see one of the most genius video game stories in history.
  2. Apr 18, 2011
    i played this game back when it was released and i actually liked this game. the story plot i didnt pay attention to but the gameplay was awesome. i played on the original xbox and the fighting was smooth. on pc i dont know it might suck. but xbox version rocked
  3. Feb 12, 2012
    KotOR was not without its flaws, but a great classic nonetheless. Systemically, it borrowed from thew Baldur's Gates and other 'pause and plan' combat RPG's... The pause and plan combat is definitely not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. The characters were the stars of the show. I mean, HK47, mirite?
  4. Dec 2, 2010
    I love this game. The game play is immersive and purely strategic. You have to decide whether or not you want to throw a grenade, whether or not to use the force or conserve your energy, what melee attack you want to use, how to use your mines and along with that, there's an actual story line! This will definitely be a game to beat. It even has it's own special, original combat system! This is also shown to be a true RPG (not one of those fake ones that claim to one) by allowing the player to make choices that align his/her player to the dark side or light side, whether it be to help someone, give away someones position, stand for what's right or wrong, or merely kill someone. I give this ten out of ten. Expand
  5. Oct 23, 2010
    This is the definite version of this game. The updated graphics and added features like quests and overall tweaks makes a great game something amazing.
  6. Jul 22, 2011
    I originally completed this when it first came out and remember enjoying it thoroughly, six or seven years down the line and I picked it up on Steam for a bargain £3 to replace my knackered CDROM copy, and decided to give the game a replay. Initial thoughts: the years have not been kind to KOTOR, however perseverance opened up a truly brilliant (Star Wars) game - the dated visuals haven't done the game any favours but they don't hinder one's enjoyment of the title either, this kept me hooked for a full 22 hours. Expand
  7. Jul 29, 2011
    The first attempts at play through in this game were rough. ( I knew this was an RPG from the get go however. Any one who picked this up back when it was new expecting JK series game play was a moron.) After sitting back and examining how i was allotting points for stats and skills however I managed to create a character that played through to finish the game. I realized a few things. Bioware makes challenging games. They really push the boundary of: How much will I let myself get immersed and what mechanics will i explore? There is a wrong way to play and select stats and abilities and this is a good thing. There is still choice. You just have to know what you are doing to create the character you want to play. I like this game more than dragon age origins admittedly because it is a bit more forgiving if you get yourself in a sticky situation. Expand
  8. Apr 15, 2011
    I don't believe there's any question now as to if this game is a masterpiece. The emotional characters, the brilliant storyline, eye-piping visuals, paired with extremely fun game-play define SWKOR as a classic. Genius through and through.
  9. Aug 16, 2011
    This game made me a fan of Star Wars and the Sith. Great game. One of my favorite games of all time. I wish someone make a remake for it on this generation video games.
  10. Jun 19, 2011
    I just played this for the first time recently, and I have to say it's one of the best games I've ever played. It's like a good book that you don't want to put down. After playing through it once I'm already looking forward to playing it again.
  11. Mar 19, 2011
    Probably the best RPG I've ever played. If you're a Star Wars fan, you should definitely play this game. Good graphics, good dialogue, combat is good though It might be too easy after a while and great story. A game at which you won't wonder why it's a GOTY.
  12. Apr 26, 2011
    My favourite game of all time. It has everything; Good game play, writing, plot, really in depth characters and the one of the most satisfying endings I have come across. An absolute jewel.
  13. May 17, 2011
    Knights of the Old Republic is the best game I've played. The story is simply brilliant, the gameplay is bundles of fun, and the characters are so real... which is amazing considering it's sci-fi!
  14. May 27, 2011
    BioWares masterpiece. Fantastic RPG. Supreme story, characters , combat ...everything is done soooo good, that i can only rate this game with 10. Oh, and its Star Wars :)
  15. Nov 20, 2012
    Great game! The storyline, the diverse locations that can be explored, and the general gameplay make this game stand out above almost all others. It I had to make a list of my top ten favorite games of all time, this would definitely make the list. It's a must play for any RPG fans, and really for any fans of video games at all.
  16. Nov 8, 2012
    Good epic. It fills a lot of its time with combat, fetch quests and walking from A to B, so it cannot reach the highest game rating. But the story and the use of the license are outstanding and worth 10$ and 10 hours. But in my eyes not worth the 40-50 hours for campaign completion. It felt like transportation and fetching made up at least 20% of the game. That's about 10 hours of your time spent taking a virtual character from one side of a map to the other. Not deeply stimulating or exciting. Collapse
  17. Feb 14, 2012
    To start with, the game does have it's flaws, it does however take a very petty person to majorly mark down such an incredible work for a few minor blemishes that honestly exist at face value.

First of all, the story is incredible. I don't think anyone will deny this. As an RPG, this is what you should be looking for in the game primarily. Completing the game for the first time while
    doing most of the side missions took me about 35 hours. This game is the only one I have ever played whose story has had me up until unheard of times in the morning to discover what happens next. You should also be looking for a good progression system, and this game certainly does have that, making you feel majorly rewarded for levelling up as it grants you specific but significant bonuses.

The progression is also where the games first vice lies however. As once you have a handful of force powers the game has a significant drop in difficulty if you are a meta gamer, which you probably are if you're on meta critic and/or interested in a 9 year old game. The difficulty can be reduced by a meta gamer to the point that you will probably find the final boss and mission easier than the opening tutorial of the game. I do not know whether this was intentionally done by Bioware or not to further the sense of progression and your character's developing power, but it is certainly broken as the final boss was unthinkably easy, with minor minions earlier in the game giving me a harder time. Personally, I actually like this as it does give you a sense of progression much greater than most games, when you go from desperately chewing through medkits to kill a couple of thugs to easily tossing groups of high ranking enemies (rancor) aside with 2 or 3 force powers you feel like all you've done has meant something for you personally as the player, on top of the compelling plot which has many choices and a lot of well acted, branching dialogue.

The game is paced perfectly too, you always feel like you're doing something (and for a good reason, this game features no quests that feel like arbitrary "Kill X enemy" missions, all of them are unique and compelling) and something new and interesting happens regularly so long as you don't dawdle, giving you a constant stream of interesting dialogue and missions that can last you around 35 hours.

The final thing I would like to mention is the astonishing attention to detail and clear hard work that was put into the creation of this game, unlike most blatant shameless cash ins that we are so accustomed to now. For instance, there is a cantina called "The Drunk Side" the name of which you would only discover by stopping and clicking on the sign, which most players probably wouldn't. I found that rather amusing, and it obviously is completely unnecessary, but Bioware did it for that extra polish and layer of good will. They also present you with a vast array of 'Idiot Buttons', that is, opportunities to press/say things that will cause you to be insta-killed often in ways that may amuse the player just due to how idiotic the events were. It is not only brilliant that Bioware allows the player to do silly things like those,
    but that they allow you to fail is the real stinger here.

Anyway, that is the end of my ridiculously large wall of text. I would like to point out that everyone that gave this game a score below 5 is clearly trolling and/or stupid, as this is a masterpiece of a game the likes of which I doubt we will bare witness to again for some time.
  18. Aug 6, 2012
    All things considered, this is one of my favorite games ever. The gameplay is fun, the story is amazing, and the character development is interesting (the latter two you could guess after seeing Bioware). If you are a Star Wars fan and don't hate RPGs, then you're sure to like this game. With that said, the game does have its flaws: an annoying inventory system, boring mini-game, and a leveling system which punishes you if you don't spec as melee from the start. But, in my humble opinion, the game more than makes up for these shortcomings. Given that Bioware chose to make a Star Wars MMO, I doubt we'll ever see if KOTR3, but I suppose I can keep my fingers crossed... Expand
  19. Aug 9, 2012
    I've never played such an amazing game, KotOR probably has one of the best story lines. It would be sweet if they remade it with better graphics, models and character customization other than a preset face. Either way this is defiantly in the top five of my favorite games.
  20. Oct 31, 2012
    This is the best game ever!,if your looking for an awesome game this is it! it so fun and you will enjoy every min of it, so get for PC or Xbox, it is an awesome game! 10 out of 10
  21. Aug 21, 2010
    Brilliant game. It really doesn't get much better than this. Story, graphics, gameplay, voice acting is of highest quality. This is the most replayed game by me, and I come back every year or two to play it, and it's 6 or more years old!
  22. Aug 26, 2010
    Awesome game. Highly recommended. Oh and be prepared to sink about 50-60 hours of your life into this game. Good graphics, good game balance, great story and locations epic finale & climax
  23. Mar 26, 2011
    I have a bone to pick with a number of Star Wars games. after brilliant titles like Jedi Knight and X-Wing or TIE Fighter, the franchise became monotonous, and very often frustratingly difficult. This is absolutely not the case with KOTOR. The game is challenging, the story captivating, and the level design fantastic. Moreover, it is a great RPG in its own right, regardless whether one is a fan of the Star Wars franchise or not. By the way, playing this game makes you feel like its a precursor to the Mass Effect series, which I like alot.. Expand
  24. Oct 3, 2010
    I was hesitating to get this game for quite some time even though I was a fan of bioware games. After finally deciding to get it, all I can say that its an awesome game. Love the plot and excellent graphics for its time. It still looks good after all these years.
  25. Dec 31, 2010
    I would have to say this is now in the top five games I have ever played the storyline is amazing and there is so much to do in this game, I wish I would have herd about his one much sooner than last year, don't ask how I went that long without playing this Masterpiece of an RPG, If you like making you own choices and love star wars this is going to be in bed with you every night, sleeping with you I promise lol. Expand
  26. Jan 6, 2011
    The Star Wars Universe expands to one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Rarely do you see an epic storyline mixed with intense gameplay in todays games. It is definitely one people will talk about for years.
  27. Oct 7, 2011
    I have to say it first this is not my type of game. I appreciated Bioware creating such a great story and awesome characters after the absolutely dull neverwinter nights, but the gameplay of this game is really bad. The problem I have mostly lies in the combat system. I've played D&D based games, so I understand this kind of RPG system however the combat in this game is boring, repetative, slow and unrealistic. You end up selecting attack actions, and waiting for your character to do them over and over again. On the good side though this is an extensive role playing story line with a real cool light side/dark side choice system in place that lets you really develop a character. Expand
  28. X11
    Sep 20, 2011
    It's strange. I have been spoiled by "modern" graphics ever since the advent of Xbox 360, yet all my favorite titles seem to have found purchase before that. The Sims, Ocarina of Time, Half-Life, and this game. I find myself amazed that I did not pick it up until late 2011, yet I still find it one of the most engrossing video game experiences of all time. Graphics do not make the game my friends. Unfortunately this fact has been forgotten in recent times. Disheartening. I hope for more games like this in years to come. Expand
  29. Apr 5, 2011
    Absolutely incredible! There were so many details in every world and I loved the way that you could personalize each character. Atmospheric, captivating and the music was terrific.
  30. Mar 15, 2011
    A great role playing game based on the star wars universe. The graphics are very good for its time, the game-play is very good, and the story line is very good. I recommend this game to any one who is into star wars and into the role playing game style.

It's a great game!
  31. Jun 21, 2011
    Hands down my favourite Star Wars game to date. And one can argue it's one of the best RPG's of all time. The great story, the fantastic characters and the beautiful worlds made this into a game that I will never forget.
  32. May 1, 2011
    KOTOR is one of the best RPGs that has ever been made. Though slightly aged at this point, the storyline is one that truly makes the player feel like the fate of the galaxy is in their hands. Companions are interesting, equipment customization was awesome, and the game, overall, is legendary. Pick this up for $10 on steam. It'll be well worth it!
  33. Mar 20, 2011
    This was the first Bioware game I ever played, and one of the first PC games as well. I was completely blown away, it's an amazing game and turned me into a Bioware fan. The story is fantastic, though of course by today's standards the game play and graphics are dated... but I think that RPG fans won't care, because we're in it for the experience and this game delivers.
  34. Apr 3, 2011
    If there was one thing in all of the Star Wars media that got me hooked into this universe, its KOTOR. This game sucked me right in and soon I was living and breathing Star Wars. Filled with a cast of unforgettable characters, great storytelling (with one of the best OMG moments in gaming history), and solid gameplay; KOTOR is still the greatest RPG ever made!
  35. Apr 5, 2011
    Firstly, I want to clarify that these are not "rigged votes", as the KOTOR haters seem to be claiming them to be. If you read the sparse 0-rating reviews below, you'll notice some common factors: a general impatience with games and a lack of appreciation for anything that requires more player input than simply clicking left-mouse to attack. Simply put, KOTOR is a masterpiece. I played it again for the second time (I first played it after its release in 2003), and finished it yesterday with a total playtime of 45+ hours, and I regret not a single second of gameplay. The story, characters and setting are masterly created, with an epic soundtrack, spectacularly flawless voice-acting (I genuinely feel like I know the characters, in particular Carth Onasi, Mission Vao, Juhani, Jolee Bindo and Bastilla Shan, as people, and almost as companions). Do yourself a favour and get this game. Expand
  36. Apr 5, 2011
    7 years after the release, this game may still be the best single player RPG out there, or at least among the top. The storyline is intense. The characters are unforgettable. Every aspect of the game rocks. The game has a high replay value due to all of the RPG decisions you make, and end the end it may be the best Star Wars game to date.
  37. Apr 21, 2011
    This was the first RPG I ever played and even today compare any RPG I play to this one. Great story with a truly suprising twist, realistic fighting that I wish more RPGs had, and great characters are the staple of this game. The only downside: morality really doesn't affect the ending.
  38. May 8, 2011
    One of the best games I ever played, it has everything....action, adventure..romance and a happy ending!! Despite the fact it was quite old when I played it, I replayed and replayed it as the story and character development was just wonderful. If you havent played this, get it and play it, you wont regret it!
  39. Sep 22, 2011
    The very first RPG I ever played. And goddamn, couldn't have started off on a better foot. This is sorta like deciding to watch your very first superhero movie and picking The Dark Knight. Everything that comes after just seems like a letdown. That's kinda how I feel about KOTOR. And you've gotta know this about me, I **** hate Star Wars. Never been fond of it. But this game... this story just sucked me in and never let go. I absolutely had to keep playing to find out what was going to happen to these characters I'd become attached to. To do this to me, someone who had never played RPGs, didn't like em, and had no interest in Star Wars either, well... that's just about the highest compliment I think I can give. Too bad its sequel couldn't match the great story of the first one. But alas, lightning in a bottle only happens every once in a while. Expand
  40. Oct 16, 2011
    I just lol at the people who give it a negative rating. They must be hardcore star wars nerd with unbelievable high standards... I can already see one....This game really does deserve its rating.
  41. Nov 29, 2011
    I remember when I 1st heard about this game I had taken a long hiatus from Star Wars for years I got an Xbox specially because I wanted this game after I saw it won game of the year on spikeTV. I couldn't put this game down for a months I did everything and than did it over again. Game of the Year yes I would even consider it the game of the Decade along with CoD4.
  42. Nov 25, 2011
    Even on today's standards this game is excellent! Graphics are not really at todays level, but what can you expect from game which was released in 2003. Gameplay and storyline are something for other games to look up to. If you haven't been introduced to KOTOR, do it now! It's on sale in many places under 10 bucks.
  43. Mar 6, 2012
    The game that has marked the end of Bioware as we knew it. Cinematic dialogue sequences, dumbed down combat mechanics, the creation of the horribly over used "four quest hub + ending" formula that has been the staple of Bioware's game since then, the concept of "light and dark side" turning into the basis of every Biowarian game (Paragon vs Renegade in ME, Open Palm vs Closed Fist in Jade Empire, Diplomatic vs Violent in DA2) a dichotomy that should've stayed with starwars but instead followed the company during the creation of their own franchises.. incredibly annoying NPCs like Carth Onasi whose emo stereotype can be found in all of the games made by Bioware after KOTOR..

KOTOR turned Bioware from a corp that made great rpg into a corp that made crappy console action games and ports.
  44. Nov 15, 2012
    Words cannot describe how much fun I had playing this, It's like that one childhood game that will always be special to you, I have played through this game countless times and it never gets old for me, If you are a fan of star wars games then stop reading this review and go and buy this game!
  45. Dec 8, 2013
    The absolute golden standard of games. Words could not describe the absolute immersion and joy, even the sense of being totally blowed away when I first played it, which are so rare for a seasoned gamer. In the seaside planet I could totally feel smell of sea wind, and this is not an exaggeration. The first thought that came across my mind was "this definitely deserves a re-make!" and "I would definitely like another several more play-through" And even no, its original quality is still supreme. A strong sense of responsibility to players is of course the foundation, but even that is not enough: the developers are pure genius. Even today 10 years later after the publication of the game I would still doubtlessly rate it as my favorite RPG, easily far ahead of any other game produced later, and one of the all-time best in any game category(It was ranked as No.3 in "10 best games of the decade by a certain media, if I'm not mistaken). Expand
  46. Sep 4, 2013
    This is my second favorite game of all time, i am a big rpg and si-fy fan so i guess this was i match made in heaven. Yes the controls and graphics are outdated but there is nothing an hd remake cant fix. just have Dice use the frostbite engine and i will be happy. i want to see my hd remake.
  47. Aug 17, 2010
    Not ported very well for the pc, I've even got an entire save that corrupted itself and forced me to start over. Overall the kotor experience is still intact.
  48. Sep 3, 2012
    It's certainly the best thing the Star Wars franchised has created since The Empire Strikes Back, and its one of the best RPG's created as well. Fantastic narrative, characters, atmosphere, level design, and gameplay all make KOTOR a groundbreaking game.
  49. Sep 14, 2010
    The best game ever. A great Star Wars RPG with an incredible replay value, especially due to the fact it is open ended. The story is really immersing as you get involved to it. A classic game which had its sequel in KOTOR 2, but still deserves KOTOR 3 and not SWTOR, the MMORPG.
  50. Nov 10, 2010
    There's too much text in dialog, but you can skip that. The combat could have been more involved for shooter kids, but it serves right at being fully stat-based (as an RPG should, anyway). Your moves shouldn't matter too much apart from your built character, so these complaints about the game being "for kids" I can see as biased. Apart from all this, loved the variety in missions and story. The age of it all hardly makes any difference. Having said that, producing a current-gen game of same amount varied content would require too much resources with all the hi-def visuals developers overuse these days. If you love Star Wars, love RPG, aren't a fan of purely reaction-based (first person) games, this is your cup of tea. Expand
  51. Oct 27, 2010
    This is by far the best RPG i have ever played. The only thing it misses is widescreen support. But so does almost all good games so i wont base my score around that.
  52. Dec 26, 2010
    Its DnD and Star Wars, come on now. Jedi are a little broken but otherwise the rpg system is great. It's also nice that the game is set in a time period way before anything from the trilogy so it doesn't have to rewrite stuff. The characters are great, the story is amazing, what else do you need?
  53. Mar 20, 2011
    I am a Star Wars fan. When I was little, I watched the movies CONSTANTLY. This game is a dream come true. Become a jedi, become a sith... what more could you want? Almost no flaws in this game.
  54. Mar 25, 2011
    In my opinion, this is the 2nd best RPG ever created right behind Baldur's Gate 2. The combat is very fun even though the flexibility of the class design is limited. The story of this game is Supreme against Buldur's Gate 2, though the overall gameplay isn't. Anyhow this game has GREAT gameplay a Story that is good enough to rival the Original Trilogy, and is the most expansive Star wars universe in any star wars RPG. The graphics were insanely great for its time and is still really good. I've played through this game 11 times now. and Still want to keep playing it. but i know this game is going to be bumped down by SWTOR. Overall no human can dislike this game, nor not worship it's awesomeness! Expand
  55. Mar 20, 2011
    This game is a masterpiece, after all this years it is in my heart and now and then I play it again. The story is amazing and for a game released in 2003 it's graphics still look very nice (try playing baldur's gate or diablo II on a 32'' screen and you ll see what I mean).
  56. Sep 18, 2011
    I just dont like the game play the game plays for you and the quests are confusing i had no idea where to go. This game is too overrated i hope the next one will be better
  57. Mar 25, 2011
    This is the best game of all time, best RPG, incredible story, great characters, perfect gameplay and I could go on like that. Everything is perfect about this game and if you are a SW fan, you can't find anything better. And even if you are not, you will still have a blast.
  58. May 3, 2012
    The Best Star Wars game ever! The story just great and unforgetable. Maybe the fight is slow when you played the 3.921.034th times over, but put that away this game is great and everyone should play with this at least onece in his/her life.
  59. Dec 28, 2011
    This game had one of the best stories I have experienced in a game, I hated the turn based combat and still loved this game because of the story and the cool cast of characters.
  60. Oct 17, 2012
    There are very few games that I would describe as "essentially perfect". This game is one of them. I have never played a better classic RPG, and certainly never a better classic RPG that also had a story to rival the original Star Wars movies. I cannot recommend this game enough. If you like a great story with great characters and deep gameplay, then you must play this game.

But if you
    are one of the children who require fast, furious and shallow gameplay with no reading required of you then I suppose you must skip this title and go back to Call of Battlefield 7. Expand
  61. Mar 6, 2012
    This is a game that shows how and why console games can be excellent games; classics, even.

The PC port is pretty good, as the story and gameplay loses none of its excellence through the transition. This is one of those rare things: a perfect game.
  62. Mar 12, 2012
    Knights of the Old Republic is one the best Star Wars games I've played. It has great plot, fancy graphics (they look fine even for 2012), solid RPG system and good characters. The main flaw is a combat system: it doesn't have too much features, but the player must fight carefully, using all the skills and weapons his characters have. Characters' animations are quite good and effects are nice. Every Star Wars fan and RPG fan should try it. Expand
  63. Feb 22, 2012
    in all honesty, this game was boring, the action was you target one person and wait for the turns to go by, so more of a turn based combat scenario, and i didnt really here much music to keep you playing....
    the story was what kept me in the game, and the several different ways to end the game its really story based more than anything.... fun-6, story-10, gameplay-8, and theirs nothing
    more but heres a thing to add, voice acting-7, map design or the background-9 Expand
  64. Mar 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of my all-time favorite Star Wars games. I love how it tells the story of what happened before any of the movies ever took place. The story follows your character who has no memory of his life, and goes out to find out. It turns out he is very sensitive in the force, and has the skills of a Jedi. Meanwhile, the game's main villain Darth Malek is looking for an ultimate weapon to power his Sith fleet. This game also has multiple endings depending on your choices in the game. If you make good choices (such as saving the lives of others, or helping the needy), then you follow the path of the Jedi, but if you make bad choices (killing the needy, torturing people), then you go onto the Sith. Making these choices will change not only your personality and traits, but also how events in the game will play out. I would give an example, but that would be spoiling too much. As for the gameplay, it is excellent. You have a lot of freedom to make choices in the game (not total freedom, but freedom enough), and you can have a lot of fun doing it too. The combat may be turn-based like in any other RPG, but you wouldn't know it from how graphic it is. There are many animations your character can do in combat, and it all makes it look so real. This makes the combat in this game much more enjoyable. The graphics are enjoyable as well. Everything in this game looks very bright and colorful. Overall, this is an excellent Star Wars game. However, believe it or not, this is not my favorite Star Wars game (that would be Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy). The only real problem I have with this game is its sequel. Unlike most people, I think that KOTOR II kind of, uh, sucks (read my review of that game for more details), but who am I to think that the first game is bad just because of its sequel? Overall this game is flawless, and it should not be judged by KOTOR II. Expand
  65. Dec 20, 2011
    I actually played KOTOR 2 before I ever heard of KOTOR; Subsequent to completing KOTOR 2 I scoured every Wal-mart and Futureshop in hopes of finding the first game of the series. I was pleasantly rewarded while I was one day rummaging through a platinum hits bin, and at that point in time I had no idea what I was in for. KOTOR is my number two Star Wars gaming experience (just falls short of SWG in its prime) and perhaps the best RPG I've ever played. The story is perfectly immersible, I really found myself believing I was some heroic amnesiac turned galactic saviour, and I also found the companions to be compelling and well written characters. The plot kept me hooked and the twist left my jaw dropped to the floor. KOTOR has aged well for a game released in 2003 and I'd recommend any Star Wars fan or gamer play it at least once. Expand
  66. May 23, 2012
    Ok, I played this game back in 2004 or something and me and my brother played it over and over and over, and it was fun, but I didnt really get what the stats or anything meant so I was pretty **** at the game. I just played it and now I love it even more because I actually stand a chance at beating it! (I never beat it before). Truly a must play if you love Bioware and Star Wars
  67. Dec 23, 2011
    Okay, anyone who doesn't like this became assuming its boring is a noob at this game. For you people who thought it was boring and is a noob, learn how to experience this game. I had a hard time getting use to the experience of the game when I first played, but its the greatest Star Wars game EVER!
  68. Dec 17, 2011
    This game has the best story of any game I, being quite an active gamer, have ever played. This is a masterpiece, and anytime anyone mentions the best game ever, this immediately comes to mind. Sure, it may have a few glitches and bugs, but these are more than compensated for.
  69. Mar 10, 2012
    Ladies nad gentlemen, that's BIoWare at it's best. Probably the best Star Wars cRPG. It has awesome climate and plot with great mystery. By the way, it's set nearly 4000 years before the movies, so every charater is made from basics. I can also say that some of them are as charismatic and interesting as the ones from films. The soundtrack has Star Wars quality- what else do I need to say? It's game from 2003, so visually it doesn't make any impression. Still, it has amazing animations of sword fights. Oh, there is one disadvantage: it's too linear. There isn't even any imitation of open world or a bit of non-linearity here. Still, if you're Star Wars fan or you like cRPGs- you cannot miss it. Expand
  70. Feb 2, 2012
    Un gioco epico: tutti, fin da bambini, vedendo i film di Star Wars, hanno sognato di poter vestire i panni dello Jedi e combattere il Lato Oscuro, o, al contrario, valersi dei suoi poteri per far vincere il male. Con questo gioco, io come tanti altri immagino, mi sono sentito in ciò realizzato. E nonostante lo abbia iniziato e finito ben 8 anni dopo la sua uscita, rimane un gioco attuale per coinvolgimento nella storyline e intuitività dello stile di gioco. Uniche pecche riscontrabili: non è possibile tenersi da parte qualche missione secondaria per un dopo-fine-del-gioco: infatti non c'è un dopo. Se siete amanti dei giochi finiti al 100%, sarete costretti a seguire la trama per filo e per segno (cosa non sempre facile). Un ultimo appunto: gli spostamenti all'interno delle città sono veramente tediosi, quindi premunitevi di pazienza! Expand
  71. Jul 21, 2012
    Probably the best star wars game i've ever played, the story is way better than the movies. Forget about reviewers who rants about this masterpice.
  72. May 15, 2012
    Ok this game doesn't deserve a 10, since its 2012 now and its old a relatively small. But what time doesn't improve (Like graphics, financial support) is simply perfect in this game. This is the ONLY game I've known that actually give you choices that you need to think about. The star wars ultimate Dilemma, Dark Side or Light Side, come in this game stronger then ever- You will face situations when you actually think- "hey, The Jedi code is to tense, Nothing will happen if I just use my force for little personal gain this one time" And you actually feel the burden of being a Jedi. (Why pay 500 credits for parking when you can just "convince" someone you don't need to un-violently?, This is one tiny example). Until today I have never seen choises in games so real and also effect the story line so deeply. Dialogue in this game is very advanced. Most of the times there are actually right and wrong answers and failing them will not come unforigiven. (Ever been put on trial in a RPG? this is one true masterpiece!) Plus it's Brilliant idea to use the Jedi ability to understand foreign language to cut off text acting- Personally I don't mind if the voice is total rubbish to me as long as the actual text is rich and developed. Character building in this game is great- you decide for you and your companions what are they going to be good at (Jedi are divided into three classes- depending on the light sabre skill and their force manipulation skill). There are many options and you are not going to use them all in one go. Plus the inventory allows many more modification for your weapons gadgets and robots. And of course- The storyline, which make this game a MUST for anyone who really loves star wars, even you ignore the effect of your choices on the plot. Expand
  73. Feb 9, 2012
    This game is bloody awesome. No doubt about it. An involving story, deep gameplay mechanics and great graphics all put together. This is one of those you won't be able to put down. Rightly so to. One of the best games ever.
  74. Nov 26, 2012
    I was a big fan of Bioware rpgs, but this one slipped under the radar and I missed it. Just bought it very recently.

At first I was slightly underwhelmed. Graphics, while not bad, are clearly from a previous generation of machines. I found combat somewhat uninteresting. But I said I would keep on going, because I could see that there was something there.

And I am so glad I did.
    Combat I got used to, and it becomes far more enjoyable after you advance the plot a bit. Characters were great. The game became really, really fun. But the story...wow...it blew me away. It could be a movie. I cannot think of another rpg that compares.

I don't know how I missed this, but I am so glad I managed to put that right.
  75. Mar 19, 2012
    This is the game that got me in to playing bioware games, and rpg's in general. It has one of the greatest stories ever in a video game, and also one of the greates star wars stories. The game also has a nice little progression system and good turn based combat, though it may be a little to easy at times. It's a game with a lot of replay value, and it's nice to see the consequences of your choices. Expand
  76. Apr 26, 2013
    simply the best star wars game i've ever played. This is my kind of story based RPG. It does have some annoying qualities but the good far out ways the bad in this situation. If your only into hack and slash and shoot em' up games this is not for you. If you love story based/character driven RPG's this game is for you. If you love the star wars universe this game is for you. all i want now is KOTOR 3 Expand
  77. Apr 20, 2012
    Just this: a lot of the current games out there still can't compete with KOTOR in terms of narrative and story-telling. Definitly a must-have for the RPG lovers.
  78. May 3, 2012
    The best RPG i have played yet. This game really takes you deep in to the Star wars world and has a amazing story. Dont miss out if you like RPG!
  79. May 6, 2012
    Best game ever made. Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get it right away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  80. May 10, 2012
    Only few games have got me as immersed in a story as Knights of the Old Republic did. This game is brilliant in every aspect and deserves a full score.
  81. Aug 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is seriously one of my favourite games of all time. Sure it's a bit dated, with a more primitive NPC dialogue system, and the graphics are a little out of date. But this game still holds up. You can mix and match party members for different fighting styles, talk to your NPC companions which are well written and feel like real people. I do have a few gripes about it though, the customization is a bit lacking, you choose from a set of heads, then you choose from 3 different classes, which don't really matter because you're forced to become a Jedi. Blasters are pretty much useless, because you're forced to use a light sabre. I feel if this game got an HD remake, with combat like Dragon Age, along with the character customization, better NPC interactions, and more items to mix and match, it would be a near perfect game. The story in this game is amazing, it has a major plot twist that you wouldn't expect. No matter the flaws of this game, it will always be one of my favourite games of all time. It's a must buy for any Star Wars or RPG fan. Expand
  82. May 16, 2012
    Does no one edit these reviews? It seems fairly obvious that the same troll created multiple Metacritic accounts to leave very low reviews. Anyway, I havent played the game yet but at 7 bucks(which is what it is on Steam atm) you really cant go wrong one way or the other. I guess I also feel kinda sorry for the guy who created all those accounts simply to bring down the rating of a game on one rating site. I mean, jeesh! If you didnt like the game why waste so much more time and effort on it? Must have a pretty pathetic existance(which is where my sympathy comes in lol). Expand
  83. Jun 9, 2012
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is a "typical" game with typical values you know from golden age of Bioware / Black Isle. Good story, good for the time graphics, and more. KOTOR not only represents what is well known from Star Wars sage but expands the lore with new stories, new heroes and more. When you check a Star Wars Wiki it is easy to spot how some of the era was first explored. It is certainly more value than several other games "rehashing the well known stories". Expand
  84. May 26, 2012
    As far as I am concerned this is the greatest PC masterpiece of all time. The plot, voice-acting, game play...everything, is absolutely stunning. I recently completed this for the 12th time and I know I will still go back to it over the summer.
  85. Jun 21, 2012
    This is my all-time favorite game. Every game I play I try to rate on a scale of zero to SW: KOTOR. It will probably blow your mind too. This game has everything you want in a game: a terrific and immersing story-line, top notch voice-acting, a unique type of mechanics, and beautiful, memorable graphics. The game isn't a game that you finish in mere hours. You can spend days playing this game. That might be a con to some, but to me that just means you get to enjoy the game for a long time. All of the characters have great and easily identifiable personalities. There are different paths you can choose with your party members, so choose wisely. The game is played as a third-person turn-based RPG. Don't get frightened by turn-based, because it can be both fast and slow. It also helps you out by auto-pausing at different times (such as an enemy sighted). It's really easy to understand and different from other games. In addition to all of that, the graphics are amazing, especially for a game made just eight years ago! I really hope if you are planning to get this game you enjoy this as much as I did. Expand
  86. Jul 19, 2012
    Probably my favourite game, most of the people who have submitted negative reviews are criticising the gameplay, I guess you gotta know what you're getting into, they clearly didn't.

While it has it's flaws, I just love the game. The gameplay isn't full of action, but it's still one of the best games I've ever played.
  87. Jul 21, 2012
    ok so thei might be alot wrong with this game but for me their is alot more right, I ve played this through several times and the fact ive still never gotten sick of it is enough for me!!!!
  88. Sep 3, 2012
    I may be biased since this is my favorite video game of all time, but this game is truly amazing. The first game that ever made me consider video games as a means of storytelling. A lot of people who complained about this game don't really seem to have an understanding of the game's mechanics. It's fun, I still play it after 9 years of owning it, and the story is probably the best in the Star Wars Universe. There aren't too many ways this game could have been better for its time. Expand
  89. Dec 5, 2012
    This game is a monster. I can still grap it and finish again... spend LOTS of hours on this game.. it's epic! You build your very own Jedi, hang around at pubs and drink beer :D travel around and search for components to build up lightsabers... MANY opportunities.

If they made a new game like this one these days, Metascritic would go crazy about this game ;D for real. It brings good memories.
  90. Dec 5, 2012
    One of the best Star Wars games ever made, KOTOR introduces an amnesiac protagonist ready to face his destiny. The best part is that we control his path in the story with moral choices with options to choose, in which they will reveal the light or dark path of our character. If the developers created a more complete character creator, this game would be just magnificent.
  91. Dec 18, 2012
    I made an account on here just so I could write this review. I even went through all the reviews and clicked the good ones and bad ones, because people need to know that this is one of the greatest RPGs ever made. If you don't like Star Wars or never cared for it, and want a solid RPG, this is your ticket. If you like Star Wars and have been a fan for who knows how long, then nobody has done anything greater in the gaming industry for you than this. Play this game. It's a masterpiece, it's well written, loads of fun, and not only that, but you can mod the game with mods from Filefront and add tons more replay value to it. You're not just staring at a game my friends; you're staring at an exquisite work of art. Expand
  92. Apr 24, 2013
    This is so amazing this will stick with you for a long long time after you finish it. This is a true masterpiece when someone should think of what is a good R.P.G. K.O.T.O.R. should be the first thing to come mind. Great combat mechanics AMAZING STORY unmatched this might be my favorite plot a game has thrown to me so far just stunning and i love game that give you a choice and there is no good ending both endings are good you can play the way you want and get the ending you deserve you don't need to be super careful about that you say because even if you go with the technically bad ending its fantastic also it does what mass effect did wrong with the dialogue when you click on a dialogue option you will say exactly what's written that's what's brings us to the voice acting which is truly the best I've ever heard it makes me want Bastille's babies that much more and there are so many memorable characters who leave a lasting impression and so many wonderful places to go and explore with wonderful level design filled with side quests and brimming with secrets just such a wonderful game this game is a true gem in an industry that's full of terrible reboots and sequels (including this game's sequel) but this is one of those games where if even if the next 100 to come are terrible you still had this one glories game this is currently the pinnacle of gaming and i don't see it being topped any time soon. Expand
  93. May 23, 2013
    Still after so many years this is the best RPG I have ever played. I have finished it several times and every single one it was a great adventure. I wish Disney would allow some companies to make a continuation. This is also one of the best Star Wars game ever. So if You are a SW fun and/or You like really nice RPG You have to play KOTOR. Even now, ten years after the premier graphics are acceptable and gameplay is not tiring at all. Expand
  94. May 5, 2013
    One of the best games ever made. If you're not a fan of the combat then the amazing storyline will be the ultimate drug which will keep you playing until the end. KOTOR is the only game I've ever played through more than twice.
  95. May 16, 2013
    Where to start? Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is, and has been since I first finished it, my absolute favorite game. For ten years, this game, despite all of the other awesome and fantastic games I have played, still manages to be number one. Why? Because this game has what any game should, both quality and quantity.

I remember picking this game up on my Xbox for the first time.
    I didn’t know what to expect. I have been a Star Wars fan forever, since I saw the first movies. It was praised by critics and reviewers, so I figure I would try it. Little did I know that I would be playing a game that would inspire so many good memories in me.

I’ll start with the meat of the game—the storyline. This is probably one of the best stories I have ever experienced. It flows quite easily and was very immersive. This game introduced me to the whole “Old Republic” era of Star Wars, and as of now it is actually my favorite. This game introduces you to a story that you will love and really get involved in. It also gives you choice, such as a multitude of dialogue options which can affect the game in the end. I’m always a fan of the option to give as much choice as possible to players. There is also a very surprisingly plot twist at the near-end of the game which really makes the story pop.

The gameplay is also great. It’s sort of a fast-paced turn-based style of combat. I feel the difficulties are pretty balanced, none too easy and none too hard. The level up system is alright, but can be made better with mods (which I will discuss later on). The different skills and whatnot are very helpful throughout the game, such as Computer Use which allows you to hack into terminals and do a variety of things or Repair where you can repair broken droids to assist you in combat in that area. Combat is just very smooth and I was very happy with how they brought lightsaber battles to light.

The graphics are, in my opinion, really good for its time. You won’t be seeing HD textures or Skyrim-quality graphics, but really in 2003 there were few games that actually looked as good as KOTOR. But even today, it’s not all that bad looking. Planets are pretty good looking and heads for models are detailed.

This game really shines on the PC, and the reason why is because you can mod it. The KOTOR Filefront has thousands of mods which you can easily install to improve the game, either gameplay-wise or cosmetic-wise. I love it when a game has modding capabilities, and BioWare was kind enough to make this game easily moddable. I always mod it when I play it and it makes gameplay even better than it is vanilla.

This game is a standard for all role-playing games. This is what a role-playing game should feel like, fun and never boring. It’s a must have in my opinion if you like stories and Star Wars both. I have so much nostalgia when I replay this game. I hope you all love this game as much as I have.
  96. Oct 29, 2013
    Quite simply the greatest game I've ever played. So much joy to be had in this game. It is timeless. I've played this through at least 4 times and I don't replay games often. This game reminded us all about how good Star Wars could be.
  97. Oct 31, 2013
    This is my favorite game of all time i played it on the original xbox and have beaten over 8 times over the past decade (i still have the original game with the xbox). This game i feel is timeless my reasons being is it has superb story telling, character development, difficult choices, deep history, great voice acting and if you are hardcore about star wars it flushes out the universe so beautifully with a setting fresh and interesting. If enjoyed a more strategic combat than this has it, or you can adjust some setting to make it a little more fast pace. I have never played the PC version but this game is a must play its a classic that really pushed story telling to a whole new level. Expand
  98. Nov 2, 2013
    The KotOR series is one of my favourite series. When I first played the game, I had high hopes for it. The game impressed me, despite its age. Few games give as many choices, plot twists, and lovable characters. Sadly, I did get stuck and ended up looking up a quick guide, which ended up spoiling a bit plot twist.
  99. MrZ
    Dec 1, 2013
    This is by far one of my personal favorites. I played this game years ago when I purchased the Star Wars Best of PC pack and was hooked. As a young Star Wars fan, when I started playing it, I was absolutely immersed in the story. Since it takes place long before the movies, it brings about a new and interesting story. Although not the best by today's standards, I still play it to this day.
  100. Dec 2, 2013
    If i had to describe the game in one word it would be "masterpiece". it is amazing how this game has a better story and more interesting characters then the Star Wars prequel trilogy that opens up the star wars universe in ways you couldn't imagine at the time. The RPG style gameplay works to perfection with an addicting leveling up system that makes you want to keep playing.
  101. Nov 8, 2012

1. The level of control that you have over your characters' actions is truly remarkable... Simply put, this is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since the original trilogy. [Feb 2004, p.112]
  2. This is a class act that builds and extends the Star Wars game franchise and PC gamers are getting something their kindred XBOX owners loved to bits and will not be disappointed in any way.
  3. It offers some pretty fundamental improvements over the Xbox version and stands as one of the best PC RPGs out there.