Star Wars: The Old Republic PC

5.9

1. Feb 9, 2012
    I played this as KOTOR III, and absolutely loved it. I did not to one group quest, never spoke to another "live" person the entire time, and no one spoke to me. If you play this as a pure RPG (which is what it should have been to begin with, without the money grabbing MMO "add-on" it seems like here), and finish within 30 days, it is fantastic. Buy it. If you are looking for a WoWI played this as KOTOR III, and absolutely loved it. I did not to one group quest, never spoke to another "live" person the entire time, and no one spoke to me. If you play this as a pure RPG (which is what it should have been to begin with, without the money grabbing MMO "add-on" it seems like here), and finish within 30 days, it is fantastic. Buy it. If you are looking for a WoW equivalent, move on. If you are willing to accept the differences and allow them merit, or are a Star Wars fan, also buy it. It is worth the $60 for 30 days, as much as that pains me to say. It is just that good. In fact one of the only detractors to the game would be the MMO element. They should have stuck with making it a Bioware/Star Wars version of Skyrim, which it is very close to right now anyway. Expand
  2. Dec 26, 2011
    I honnesty don't know what other users expected, giving so low scores to this game. They use such arguments, that to me, they lose all credibility. Personally, I'm enjoying SWTOR very much. Yes, it has "kill x" quests, even those are optional objectives. Yes, it is not that diferent from WoW's gameplay. Yes, the classes are imbalanced. And yes, it's missing some stuff that we took forI honnesty don't know what other users expected, giving so low scores to this game. They use such arguments, that to me, they lose all credibility. Personally, I'm enjoying SWTOR very much. Yes, it has "kill x" quests, even those are optional objectives. Yes, it is not that diferent from WoW's gameplay. Yes, the classes are imbalanced. And yes, it's missing some stuff that we took for granted (like the dungeon finder). But guys, we're talking about an MMO. Tell me one MMO that had all the stuff that you wanted on launch day? I'm killing x number of guys, because I want to kill x number of guys. It's an MMO, a genre which I enjoyed since the first day I started playing WoW. I don't know what all the critics were looking for, really, but to me, they just seem to be trolling a good game, which is having some deserved sucess. What do you want, guys? Let's all just love low cost indie games that no one is going to play for months? Now, the game. Like I told you, yes, it has all those MMOs "must have". But so far, having played the beta and the game, I find it very stable (contrary to some reviews who find it very buggy, of some ppl who must have only played the beta, imo). Besides the graphical glitches, I never had a single dc, and was only stuck once. The combat gameplay is mostly WoW's, with a Star Wars skin. I like it, like millions of players seem to throughout the world. You have the "tank/healer/dps" trinity, but you're not so limited in terms of classes to play if you want to fulfill one of those roles. Not going to talk much about the classes, except that once you reach lvl 10, you chose one "advanced class", that being the one you're "stuck" to for the rest of the game (for instance, if you pick a Jedi Knight, once you reach lvl 10, you must be a Jedi Guardian or a Jedi Sentinel). Each of those advanced classes have 3 talent trees to pick from, like vanilla WoW. Since I consider most of the factions classes to mirror each other's gameplay (like Smugler=Sith Agent, for instance), I do consider the game to have 8 classes/gameplay types to play (the 2 advanced from the 4 original classes). The voice acting IS amazing. One of the best I've seen in years. The quests and flashpoints sometimes have some unpredictable outcome. For instance (not a spoiler), I was really amazed when a "good guy" wanted to sacrifice some of his team to get on with the quest, despite having another way to go. This game really makes you make some choices, and unlike a rpg, you can't "load back" if you regret your decision. There is really a sense of binding to your character, imo. I gave the game a 9 so far. Because of the potencial I see in it, and the fun I'm having so far. The game does deserve to be apreciated for what it is, not to be trolled just because it's a million dollar game that doesn't change the world. It's an MMO. A revolution on that genre. And, having been playing WoW for over 6 years now, I'm loving SWTOR, and I recomend it to any gamer who's not "picky", and with an open mind. If you loved KOTOR, &/or Mass Effect &/or WoW, you're gonna love it. Expand
  3. Dec 20, 2011
    Everybody who only knows WoW will say this game is bad. But anyone with more vision and who like good stories will say this game is good. I have been playing during Early Access and beta and I love this game. The mixture of traditional WoW mechanics, with KOTOR mechanics, Mass Effect and Dragon Age make this game a great one. The ambientation and feelings are great.

I recommend this game

I recommend this game to everyone willing to taste something new in MMO world.
  4. Jan 5, 2012
    Let me preface my review with: Haters gonna hate.
    Let me preface my review with: Haters gonna hate.
    I've had a lot of fun with this game. I'm not new to MMOs having spent some time in EVE, but never playing WoW,so for me this was sort of a newish experience. There are some bugs which is why it's not getting a perfect 10 as well as the jumping mechanic makes it really difficult to get to some datacron locations (special hidden powerups) - it's not the difficulty but it just feels a bit difficult to control, in reality you should hardly ever need to use the jump so it's not too bad.
    Space combat is a nice throwback to rebel assault - great game. Although I would like to see something a bit deeper - maybe something closer to a starfox feel, but there are plans to improve it at the moment.
    Like most popular new games there are a lot of negative comments out there. I think this is common everywhere. Reading some of the critic reviews will give you a better insight if this game is for you or not.
  5. Dec 22, 2011
    Some of these complaints are just silly. I swear people buy a game without doing any kind of research on it. They didn't promise some revolutionary new gameplay. They pretty much promised WoW, only with Star Wars and a better plot. They delivered that. If you're disappointed because you made up wild expectations and then didn't get them, that's your problem and not the fault of the game.Some of these complaints are just silly. I swear people buy a game without doing any kind of research on it. They didn't promise some revolutionary new gameplay. They pretty much promised WoW, only with Star Wars and a better plot. They delivered that. If you're disappointed because you made up wild expectations and then didn't get them, that's your problem and not the fault of the game. I'm docking some points for the UI being clumbsy, but the game itself is quite fun and the story is great (particularly compared to the disaster that is Cataclysm). Expand
  6. Dec 21, 2011
    I've played a lot of MMOs (starting with the original EQ, and including every AAA and AA MMO every released), and I really like what SWTOR brings to the table.

Your class story is the central feature -- and most of them are at least interesting. A few are quite good. Related to this is the companion system, which is like having a really shy person in your group at all times that might have quests from time to time.

If you like a game experience similar to Mass Effect and Knight of the Old Republic, but with added cooperative and PvP features, you should give SWTOR a try. It isn't for everyone, certainly, but for me it has been a fresh, story-focused take on the typical MMO grind. A slightly different flavor, if you will, one that will please some and irritate others.
  7. Dec 20, 2011
    The game play in not game changing if you'll pardon the pun, but the sum of the game is greater than the parts. The excellent storytelling reinforces the pacing of the missions and instances, it keeps everyone in the story. I hated questing with friends in WoW, I missed all the story and always felt pressured to click through the walls of text and dash off after my companions. The voicedThe game play in not game changing if you'll pardon the pun, but the sum of the game is greater than the parts. The excellent storytelling reinforces the pacing of the missions and instances, it keeps everyone in the story. I hated questing with friends in WoW, I missed all the story and always felt pressured to click through the walls of text and dash off after my companions. The voiced dialogue and cut scenes fix that problem. Also the introduction of a social skill that you level through doing group dialogue keeps all the talking interesting from a game mechanics perspective. So, strong single player. Strong multi-palyer. Even the PvP which I have rarely even liked in other MMO's is quite fun. It feels more like a FPS to me, particularly the kind of ridiculous Hutball. I'm only 12 levels in so I can't speak to the end game, but so far I have to say that yes, it's a lot like WoW but the core game is better in pretty much every way. Expand
  8. Jun 1, 2012
    I'll keep this short. Bioware did a great job, yet not perfect. The whole point of an mmorpg is to build on the game as people play it. Do I think after a slew of new updates this can be perfect? Yes.

There are some great storylines, but than a lot of bad ones. They need to expand on the bad or consolidate them down. A big problem, beside hackers, for mmorpgs is that of size. Some fans

A big problem, beside hackers, for mmorpgs is that of size. Some fans want things to be endless (lots of stories, etc.), others like myself want quality over quantity. I believe only small things can be great, and that trying to make things collosally good is almost impossible, though it's not, Bioware has a lot of work ahead to pull off such a rare feet.

I'm excited for the future.
  9. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is pretty much exactly what I wanted from an MMO. Most MMO's try to either be too similar, or very different from WoW, this one on the other hand is a very nice balance.
  10. Dec 22, 2011
    Superb game. Dont pay attention to the morons who give games zero. If you are a fan of Star Wars, you like MMO's and love story driven games. Stop sitting here and go buy it.
  11. Dec 24, 2011
    A masterpiece. 90% of these low reviews probably have not played the game or played less than 10 hours. Haters gonna hate, play more than 10 hours and youll see the true beauty
  12. Dec 20, 2011
    Voice acting is very good for a MMO game. Gameplay is fun and story is great. Flashpoint are fun for some, others feels it needed more work. Some boss fights feel as though they made no sense and your fighting away wondering why they did what they did... Down side is they could have waitted another month or two still on the bugs and fixes. (nothing new here) Im a level 35+ jedi alreadyVoice acting is very good for a MMO game. Gameplay is fun and story is great. Flashpoint are fun for some, others feels it needed more work. Some boss fights feel as though they made no sense and your fighting away wondering why they did what they did... Down side is they could have waitted another month or two still on the bugs and fixes. (nothing new here) Im a level 35+ jedi already since early launch. So getting exp is way to fast and too easy and you can not explore the whole map of the zone. You die if you try. Yes you heard me. you die.... takes the exploring feel out of it and feels restrained. For these two reasons i gave the game a 8. For a Starwars game. this is the best i played. Expand
  13. Dec 20, 2011
    If you've ever liked world of warcraft, or if you've ever liked a bioware game like mass effect, you will really enjoy star wars the old republic. You can't go wrong buying this game. At worst, you can play this game to max level a couple times and uninstall. At best you'll play it for many many hours.

If you are looking for a sand box mmo, keep looking (if you want an AAA sand box mmo, sorry, they don't exist).
  14. Dec 29, 2012
    I have about 40 hours into this game and so far, I would say it's a 10. I dk the reason so many people disliked it, other than all I can say is that I have been an avid PC gamer my whole life, but shied away from MMOs, except Anarchy Online which I never could really get into. They just weren't my thing. However, this combination of story driven/MMO really bridged the gap for me. I canI have about 40 hours into this game and so far, I would say it's a 10. I dk the reason so many people disliked it, other than all I can say is that I have been an avid PC gamer my whole life, but shied away from MMOs, except Anarchy Online which I never could really get into. They just weren't my thing. However, this combination of story driven/MMO really bridged the gap for me. I can play alone or with others at any time, it's great. The graphics are retro but clean crisp, the stories are really fun, and the Star Wars atmospheres are just amazing, both in creativity and in breadth (politically as well as environmentally). And it's free, so if you're not sure, try it out. If you like it, try buying a few Cartel Coins to get a couple of unlocks and you will become a Preferred Player which is better anyway and not that expensive. Expand
  15. Dec 20, 2011
    Played for the last 7 days, currently level 35. loving it so far, combat is fun, the story is awesome, loving the voiceovers. There is a lot of group content which i love, i have done 5 different dungeons so far, which is pretty good for a level 30. So far so good!
  16. Oct 9, 2014
    Best, I love it, Star Wars forever with lot of people.
    I don't agree with the haters. This is a very good game with epic and beautiful story.
  17. Oct 16, 2012
    Much like Rift, this MMO has taken the best bits from the past 10 years, polished them up, and created a fantastic game. People have been marking it down because it doesn't bring much new to the table (and this is true), but worth a perfect score because it is perfect in the MMO genre. The voice acting alone make it stand head and shoulders above the rest of them. I'm loving this game ...Much like Rift, this MMO has taken the best bits from the past 10 years, polished them up, and created a fantastic game. People have been marking it down because it doesn't bring much new to the table (and this is true), but worth a perfect score because it is perfect in the MMO genre. The voice acting alone make it stand head and shoulders above the rest of them. I'm loving this game ... REALLY loving this game. ---------------------------------> UPDATE 13/05/2012 ... Sadly, this game is dying. I haven't played for over a month and didn't renew my sub. There is a lack of people playing which led to hours where I played alone. Group quests were skipped as there was nobody to quest with. As a game, Star Wars is very, very good and I stand by my initial score. It doesn't deserve the bad press but had some VERY tough competition with Tera and Guild Wars 2 on the horizon. Will I play it again? Yes if it becomes FTP. Sadly, I won't be re-subbing any time soon. Expand
  18. Dec 21, 2011
    I've played this game since August in BETA and was blown away at first. While the graphics are stylized, they can be breathtaking, just looking out over a city I had just visited on top of a cliff, well it can be staggering, the music, well that's fantastic too. You really have 8 single player story lines here as all the different classes have individual class stories, but really thereI've played this game since August in BETA and was blown away at first. While the graphics are stylized, they can be breathtaking, just looking out over a city I had just visited on top of a cliff, well it can be staggering, the music, well that's fantastic too. You really have 8 single player story lines here as all the different classes have individual class stories, but really there are 2 totally different games; Empire and Republic.

It's standard MMO game play, coming from SWG the interface is nice and easy. The fighting, well you seem to be executing the moves in real-time, unless you look too deep into the system, so it's tight and fun. The quests are on another level to anything I've played before, yes it's all standard kill things, collect things etc.. but it's done in a meaningful way. The story grips, you as the voice acting and animation of the storylines is fantastic. There are lots of twists to the plot and it plays like an interactive movie, really beyond any other game I've played.

I started Beta as a Sith Warrior, I didn't care to play this at live, so not spoiling the experience, well I quickly started enjoying being an evil so and so. After a while you unlock your companion (and get five more along the way). They are suited to what your character needs most, a healer, a tank or dps. They really are great in combat and have been written with fantastic dialogue. My first companion was Vette, very similar to Mission from KOTOR in many ways ;) You can have a lot of fun with Vette if you're evil but it came to a point where I didn't want to disapoint her, she changed my playstyle. Each companion earns affection by the choices you make and have their own stories, quests etc.. it's all very well done but what did you expect from Bioware. If you're in to a bit of Bioware romance, you can romance your companions and several NPC's. In particular the Jedi and Sith Warriors go around the galaxy getting more action than Kirk!

Is it an MMO? Well there are plenty of people to meet if you want to, you can also just play by yourself and group up for the heroics and flashpoints. Really suits my casual, dip into to MMO but still have freedom to do my own thing.

I always said I would tire of playing when the story lines ran out, well five months on I'm playing Sith Warrior for the second time and still having a blast. You can play the game so many different ways and while your actions don't have vast consequences if you look very deeply, they do seem to. You can play several quest by fihgting or you can negotiate your way out of many a fight if you want to.
    bugs, well I haven't seen too many since August.. it's very polished, yes they are there but nothing that will get in your way.

If you love Bioware and Kotor, give it a try. I guarantee you will enjoy no matter what your playstyle is. You may not be into the MMO thing but you can play it as a single player game for a month and take it from there.

There really isn't anything more fun than fighting a mob on top of a cliff or bridge somewhere like Alderaan. You're running low on health and suddenly the cooldown on your force choke or force push comes back in to play... pick the baddie up by the throat with force choke, then force push him over the bridge to his death....
  19. Jan 4, 2012
    First off, I've been playing MMO's for a LONG time, I've spent more time in WOW and EQ2 then I'd like to admit. This game hands down trumps them all, polished combat system , graphics and Dragon Age style voice over quests keep you consumed in the games lore. The fact that each character class has its own deep story from level 1 to 50 gives the game PLENTY of playtime until an expansion orFirst off, I've been playing MMO's for a LONG time, I've spent more time in WOW and EQ2 then I'd like to admit. This game hands down trumps them all, polished combat system , graphics and Dragon Age style voice over quests keep you consumed in the games lore. The fact that each character class has its own deep story from level 1 to 50 gives the game PLENTY of playtime until an expansion or add on comes out, and that's not including the competition driven PVP!! The game has some bugs but need I remind of the plagues that infested WoW vanilla and tbc?? The game's interface and play style are similar to WoW which makes it easy for Azeroth vets like myself to dive head first into the game without issues. I don't consider myself a "Star Wars fan" but this game has captured my attention like no other has in the past. Same could be said for my entire 80+ person WoW guild, 3/4 of the guild is now faithfully playing SWTOR and has permanently cancelled their WoW subscriptions!! Well done Bioware! Expand
  20. Jan 2, 2012
    This is the first time I've done a review, and I'm doing it to encourage you to try this game out. I've been gaming since PC's were invented and I've never played a game like SWTOR. Graphically it's outstanding. Gameplay is outstanding. The writing is universally great and it works whether you play as a solo type or a person that likes grouping. Space combat is flying "along a rail"This is the first time I've done a review, and I'm doing it to encourage you to try this game out. I've been gaming since PC's were invented and I've never played a game like SWTOR. Graphically it's outstanding. Gameplay is outstanding. The writing is universally great and it works whether you play as a solo type or a person that likes grouping. Space combat is flying "along a rail" and fun, the crafting options are really extensive and by letting your companions do the work, lots of fun. Speaking of companions, they make the game in my opinion. You get at lvl 10 your own little team, and frankly the companion AI is as good as most players. Definitely on my top 10 list of all time. Expand
  21. Dec 22, 2011
    I was a stalwart fan of SW: Galaxies before it's "redesign" half way through it's existence. I was an out and out crafter for a couple of years, and I've been searching for a similar crafting system ever since. Yet no MMO since has used the dynamic resource system that made SW:G so unique. Howevver, being a big fan of the SW franchise since I went to see the original film when I wasI was a stalwart fan of SW: Galaxies before it's "redesign" half way through it's existence. I was an out and out crafter for a couple of years, and I've been searching for a similar crafting system ever since. Yet no MMO since has used the dynamic resource system that made SW:G so unique. Howevver, being a big fan of the SW franchise since I went to see the original film when I was just 10 years old, I had followed SWTOR since it's announcement, but purposely didn't apply for beta, knowing that since SW:G, I have participated in almost a dozen MMO betas which then end up disappointing me at release...............Damn Metacritic for not allowing paragraphs............................Anyway, onto the new game. So far I have tinkered around with Bounty Hunter (Merc) and Sith Warrior (Marauder). Both of the opening planets and areas for the classes are well fleshed out and keep your interest. I can see how some fans of traditional MMO gamers will get frustrated with the fact that Bioware have taken the time to have full cut scenes with literally every mission giving NPC, and I can envisage hundreds of people constantly clicking there space bars to progress the conversation just to get to the end. For me, I'm in between. I like the cut scenes, but they can become overbearing at times, especially if you get to a new NPC zone and speak to two or three NPC's in a row just to find that it's taken nearly 15 minutes jus to get the missions in your journal......................... The missions themselves are pretty generic fodder, with the sporadic inclusion of class missions that at least provide you with your own instance to work through............... The flashpoints (group instances) so far are well done, and the dialogues with NPCs include a new mechanism for MMO's with each member picking their own responses, and "rolling" to use it in the story, resulting in bonus social points (another new mechanism) if you win the roll. These social points can then be used to buy things at various vendors....................................... Onto crafting. I can see how some players might find the crafting system a little daunting at first, but it becomes simple as you get throught it, if somewhat expensive to progress if you try to do it in the starter zones where not many resource spots exist resulting in you sending off your NPC companion to take part in virtual missions that result in them gathering resources for you. Reverse engineering various crafted, looted and purchased items will provide you with some return on the cost of doing so, and also will provide you with random schematics to boot........................................There is a lot more I could go into, but it would take too long. Overall I am rating the game at 8/10. I was hoping for a bit more, but the game has only just been released so that score could well go up (or down) with Bioware's support. I am still fearful of how the game will progress but that is due to the EA branding, which I don't have a lot of faith in as they have a history of grabbing money now and not giving a s**t later (allegedly). Time will tell, and for now, I'll give them that time. Expand
  22. Dec 23, 2011
    With Star Wars: The Old Republic BioWare has manages a revolution in the mmorpg genre. They have added solid storytelling and voice and many small innovations such as companions and choices to what in other mmo games are a bunch of random text quests with no real meaning.

The game perfectly captures the atmosphere of Star Wars with the music and graphics and lovingly recreated Tattoine, Hoth and other well known planets to Star Wars fans.

Sidenote if you are giving this game 0-2 or something you are really wasting time. I can´t even think of a game bad enough to get a rating such as that. Simply go back to playing world of warcraft instead..
  23. Jan 12, 2012
    Overall I give this an 8 because it is lacking in some areas, however, the stories for each individual class are what makes this game. I actually have incentive to play EVERY class. Unlike in WoW or Rift or whatever, you are experiencing the same thing but from a slightly different angle. Not just in a I am now a Hunter instead of a Paladin. It feels fresh and new each time you play it.Overall I give this an 8 because it is lacking in some areas, however, the stories for each individual class are what makes this game. I actually have incentive to play EVERY class. Unlike in WoW or Rift or whatever, you are experiencing the same thing but from a slightly different angle. Not just in a I am now a Hunter instead of a Paladin. It feels fresh and new each time you play it. Even if you were to play the same class again you could play completely differently all over again because of the Light/Dark sides. Which leads me to the best part. Once you get about an hour into it you realize hey I am playing a multiplayer KOTOR and you're like heck yeah! Another positive is that when you swing your lightsaber you feel like your actually dueling the person you are attacking instead of just beating him to death. Space battles are an updated 3D version of Galaxian, which is simple, but that is good. It is not over complicated, however, you can buy upgrades for you ship as you yourself level up, the best stuff being at level 50 and as you get better stuff more missions are unlocked and they get harder. It is a very nice Meta-game.

Now on ward to the "bad" stuff, I say "bad" because its not so BAD as its stuff that will be fixed (I hope as long as it doesn't die in a fire) The graphics are a bit lack luster, somethings appear unfinished, but the art style really shines through, every world is different (for the most part) half the Galaxy being controlled by each side leads to some things looking the same but that is mostly just the cities. I feel like they can do more with PvP. I believe limiting it to your average level range would do wonder but that is my opinion some people really like that PvP is a "balanced" 10-50, you essentially just get a damage, armor, and hp bonus to make you a defacto "50" but you don't have the all the skills yet which leaves you at a disadvantage. Overall, the "bad" will be worked out over a few patches.
  24. Jul 24, 2012
    Brilliant sharp graphics, great end game dungeons + Star Wars universe. Since the 1.3 patch, the group finder and server merges have been a revelation, all of sudden thousands of people playing and groups are found in under a minute.

The only disappointment is the lack of PvP open world encounters during normal questing.

Needs wookies :P
  25. Jan 2, 2012
    I didn't think I would like SWTOR. When it was first announced I was extremely excited, but as more and more information spilled out, it looked to me like it was going to be like any other MMO out there. I'm sure that copies some features from other MMORPGs, as all modern MMORPGs do, but I have to say that SWTOR is the most fun I've ever had playing an online RPG game.

If you enjoy the

If you enjoy the Mass Effect series, and you like Star Wars, this is the game for you.

The influence of Mass Effect on this game is extremely obvious, from the conversation choices, to companion relationships, to the immersive storyline. I've put around 40 hours into the game so far, and am a little over half way to the level cap. From what I've heard, I will be playing for around 40-60 more hours until I reach that. 100 hours in one game is a pretty damn long time, especially considering that I have no even touched PvP, and there will be plenty more content opened up when I do hit that cap.

I don't want to go on for too long, because there are so many other reviews for this game already out there, but I just want to say that SWTOR is a game-changer IMO- this coming from someone who's not a big fan of MMORPGs, and who has never played WoW. My fiancee and I have fallen in love with this game, and look forward to furthering the story and progressing our characters each day. It's just plain fun, without that terrible grinding feeling that many MMOs give.
  26. Jan 19, 2012
    I played it for one month and finished on of the stories ( the sith inq., sorcerer, one. I will not go into much detail and only state what is Star Wars: TOR
    Story: The story was average, when compared to other masterpieces from Bioware (mass effect). Average voice acting, average feeling, average animations.
    Graphics: The graphics were actually good for an MMO (full hd, highest settings) with some deep drops in fps here and there.
    Sound: Average to good soundtrack and repeatable sound effects.
    Gameplay: Move, Select target, Activate skills, Mob down. A very good implementation of the successful MMO formula. The addition of companions is a good one but also been done before in the form of pets but this time around these "pets" have background stories.
    OVERALL: A good story-based MMO worth of rolling a character throughout his/her story. I personally didn't want to play it any more since i saw start-to-end story cause i got "fed up". Any debate with WoW is just trolling. Two different games same mechanics. Like all similar-genre games out there, FPS, Strategy etc. Decades have passed and the mechanics remain the same. It is never good to abandon a successful formula BUT It is good to improve it.
    Long story short: If you want to play a story for a month, not get into pvp and then give it up then its a very good game. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a WoW successor or killer then you will be disappointed because except the voice-acting there is nothing new.
  27. Jan 8, 2012
    The game doesn't revolutionnize anything.. But it does a great job at doing everything right. Keep hearing people saying this is not an MMO.. Those people haven't bothered trying to play the game with others, it's a blast !

A great game all around !
  28. Dec 30, 2011
    This game deserves alot of praise. i don't think anyone remembers how buggy wow was at launch, and swtor is pretty smooth considering its a launching mmo. not only that, but it also has the best graphics an mmo has ever had. simply put, swtor is the best mmo i have ever played. the combat is satisfying, the classes are balanced, and the world actually feels alive. the voice work alone isThis game deserves alot of praise. i don't think anyone remembers how buggy wow was at launch, and swtor is pretty smooth considering its a launching mmo. not only that, but it also has the best graphics an mmo has ever had. simply put, swtor is the best mmo i have ever played. the combat is satisfying, the classes are balanced, and the world actually feels alive. the voice work alone is staggering and near perfect. but alas, every time a popular giant multiplayer experience gets cut loose to the world, trolls have to ruin it for everyone by rating it a 0. anyone who rated this below a 6 has obviously never really played the game. please don't trust these silly children who have nothing better to do then bash a game because they cant afford it... Expand
  29. May 29, 2014
    There is an enormous amount of content in this game and gameplay is always fun. They did a really well job. There are negative views about this game as the E3 trailer was spectacular and people believed that this game would be something beyond the current generation of games.
  30. Dec 26, 2011
    Trollololol - look at all these red reviews.

Honestly, I'm an old MMO gamer and I have to say this game is fun. I've been playing MMOs since the turn of the century, UO, EQ, AC, DAoC, AO, AC II, SWG, Eve, EQ II, WoW, CoH / CoV, Conan, STO, Rift... and more. All good games in their own right, all with something new to offer. Bioware capitalized on their strength for this one:
    Trollololol - look at all these red reviews.

Bioware capitalized on their strength for this one: Storytelling. Using that as their base and adding the strengths that made those other titles fun has made this a fun and social experience that gave you a window into a different world for you and your friends to explore.

Fun and social. In truth, that's the core of what makes a great MMO.
  31. Sep 13, 2012
    Top complaints: 1. OMG SERVER QUEUES ARE SO LONG! Lol every MMO launch has these and by MMO standards TOR's launch has been incredibly smooth. 2. OMG LAG. Again, every MMO launch has this and it will go away soon after launch, new servers have already been confirmed to be added very soon. Also, it could be your Internet, and if it is, you may need a better service provider. 3. OMG NOTop complaints: 1. OMG SERVER QUEUES ARE SO LONG! Lol every MMO launch has these and by MMO standards TOR's launch has been incredibly smooth. 2. OMG LAG. Again, every MMO launch has this and it will go away soon after launch, new servers have already been confirmed to be added very soon. Also, it could be your Internet, and if it is, you may need a better service provider. 3. OMG NO INNOVATION. Ok, complain about every single FPS then. Complain about the consistency of the Elder Scrolls series and the Mass Effect series, as well as Pokemon (Among many more, especially Nintendo titles). Didn't think so. Bioware EXPLICITLY said that they weren't redesigning the combat, something people over-centralize on, and what they did say was that they were adding a fourth pillar (Story) and making exploration more rewarding, something that this game succeeds at very well, with meaningful decisions within the quests. That and there are very long questlines, which personally for me, is awesome. Holocrons located within tricky to reach areas (No doubt the wiki will have the guide to reach them all already down by now though) makes exploration more rewarding, as well as receiving a generous amount of EXP for every newly discovered location. 4. OMG BAD GRAPHICS. Really? Firstly graphics are one of the least important aspects of a game and treating them with more importance than the basic mechanics instantly makes you a moron. This is a game, not a movie. Secondly, the graphics were DELIBERATELY downgraded so the game could run on slower computers, so Bioware is actually doing you a FAVOR by making the graphics wors, to a degree, it would've been nice had we been given more graphic options to the game though. The style will age better than more realistic graphics however. Examples of this include WoW and Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker which still looks awesome despite being around a decade old now (At the time of this review). Besides, the animations are far better than any I've seen in an MMO (That was needed for story character animations and Bioware's "Cinematic" combat, which they talked about a lot). 5. This isn't how a Star Wars MMO should be (Something along those lines anyway). Star wars Galaxies fanboys sad about how their game is being shut down around the release of this one. This isn't another SWG, and if you thought it was you didn't listen to Bioware. It's not their fault that they decided to go in a different design direction than you. Doesn't make the game bad, it would only be bad if their design was sloppy, which it isn't. In conclusion everyone who complains about these "Issues" are stupid or didn't listen to Bioware. You can't judge an MMO at launch (I got early access and played it for around two weeks straight now at the time of this review) because there is so much in it that you can't judge it within a couple of hours and launches are particularly stressful periods for MMOs. WoW's servers literally died at their launch. Now that I;ve finished ranting and gushing over this game, let's get a little more objective and calm. The combat and skill trees are nothing new, and even though BW did let us know this in advance to be honest I did epect SOME level of innovation. The combat has style, but the same substance that WoW had, and I honestly expected some differences that I failed to find. Crafting, is... Bad. Just leave it there. Otherwise i will rage my sad little heart out. At the end of the day however there is only one flaw that matters: The lack of endgame content. I have nothing to do at the end of the game other than couple of dungeons and PvP! The meat of te game is in the story so they seem to have forgotten the endgame content, leaving me bored and frustrated after the story ended. Perhaps they should have given us some endgame story missions or something, because there's not much to do after the grind is over. My advice: Pick this up, do the class stories, then cancel your subscription. Because the stories are amazing, but there's not enough endgame content to justify sticking around after that. Expand
  32. Jan 4, 2012
    (Metacritic, Please put up G4TV's 5/5 review to add a 100% at the top).
    (Metacritic, Please put up G4TV's 5/5 review to add a 100% at the top).
    Note to readers, I had been playing MMORPG's since the summer of 1999, When Everquest came out, then in 2000 after Ultima Online Renneciannce came out, I began to play both UO and EQ on and off, then played every Major MMORPG in beta and most in Pre-Release and Release. No MMORPG since EQ have I felt so enthrilled to play, like what I was doing really mattered; matching in the same way that Everquest felt like I was really exploring this world that nobody else could experience in the same way I could. - This is the perfect new age MMORPG and transition for the MMO Market. I believe BioWare is one of the FINEST developers in the business, and for the debut MMO from the amazing RPG developer, they really knock the ball out of the park with a 10/10 grandslam.. What is there to complain about? The story-arch as an Imperial Agent choosing Operative at Level 10 has been amazing thus far, and love making my dark-side choices; I PVP endlessly and Space Combat is a "Blast". It's the perfect Star Wars game, and arguably the perfect MMORPG.
  33. Dec 24, 2011
    this game's current user score (6.1) is undeserved. This game is more like an 8, but i'm giving it a 10 to balance out the ridiculous trolling and smear campaign that is going on here. When did PC gamers become a bunch of pissy brats who will dedicate more time to finding things wrong with a game then actually playing it? It's sad, it really is. And we wonder why the industry appears to bethis game's current user score (6.1) is undeserved. This game is more like an 8, but i'm giving it a 10 to balance out the ridiculous trolling and smear campaign that is going on here. When did PC gamers become a bunch of pissy brats who will dedicate more time to finding things wrong with a game then actually playing it? It's sad, it really is. And we wonder why the industry appears to be leaving us behind.... Expand
  34. Jan 12, 2012
    Unfortunately in this day and age anyone can review anything with no consequences for biased and/or subjective perspectives. First of all comparisons to other games is subjective at best, it is not something bad to design with proven successful mechanics, many games have similar qualities and that fact in no way affects the quality unless bad mechanics are implemented. You would ridiculeUnfortunately in this day and age anyone can review anything with no consequences for biased and/or subjective perspectives. First of all comparisons to other games is subjective at best, it is not something bad to design with proven successful mechanics, many games have similar qualities and that fact in no way affects the quality unless bad mechanics are implemented. You would ridicule an individual that that says all cars built after Ford are "clones" and not worthy on their own just because another company decided to use four wheels and and a circular steering wheel. A good design is a good design, period. So down-rating this game due to that is extremely bias and subjective. The game has delivered what it promised, just because it is not someones cup of tea does not make it bad. I really like the story and I think it is well written, the dialogue is well spoken and I feel that it made the process of leveling a character all the more interesting. This is an MMO, yes an MMO by definition, and not a glorified single player game. This is not a sandbox game and this fact is clearly upsetting some because SWG was shut down, but it is not fair again to down-rate this title for that because it never was intended to be one. Yes the game has a few flaws such as bugged quests yet there is nothing that can't be patched out in the future. Nothing to break the game or make it unplayable, complaints often aired by individuals on the official forums regarding performance issues are made by individuals either unable to configure a PC properly or attempting to run the game on under powered hardware. I have personally installed the game on three different computers including a laptop and have had zero problems. I will continue to play and recommend this game to others, it's bound only to get better with time. Expand
  35. Dec 20, 2011
    I've played many MMOs: WoW, DDO, LOTRO, Star Trek, Champions Online, EVE, etc. I spent several years playing WoW. This, by far, is one of the best MMOs I have played. It's is incredibly immersive. The story-lines pull you in and keep you wanting more. The combat is smooth, active and enjoyable. This is the Star Wars RPG I have always wanted. Like any good MMO developer, Bioware has triedI've played many MMOs: WoW, DDO, LOTRO, Star Trek, Champions Online, EVE, etc. I spent several years playing WoW. This, by far, is one of the best MMOs I have played. It's is incredibly immersive. The story-lines pull you in and keep you wanting more. The combat is smooth, active and enjoyable. This is the Star Wars RPG I have always wanted. Like any good MMO developer, Bioware has tried to implement some of the best features and elements of any MMO. The comparisons to WoW are only surface deep. Anyone claiming it is "WoW with lightsabers" has not spent any significant time with either product. Expand
  36. Feb 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is, by far, one of the best experiences I have had with gaming in general. NOTICE I DID NOT SAY MMORPG GAMING. I said GAMING. This game is a WONDERFUL game, and the MMO part of it is a lot of fun, adding to a great balance of solo gameplay, crafting, and the occasional Starfox-esque space mission. I have seen many reviews on here that are slanted one way, and slanted another, so I will basically state what this game IS and what it IS NOT.
    What this game IS: First and foremost, this game IS A BIOWARE RPG with a MMO setting, so if you are familiar with and love Bioware's RPGs, you "should" love this game. This game is a great MMO that puts the RP back into MMORPG (when it comes to gameplay, I will address player with player RP later). It has a great depth of story, many customization options, and the typical "choice wheel" that Bioware introduced into its games. This allows you to play your character and make choices based off of what your desire is for the character. Want to be a bloodthirsty, murdering...Jedi? You can! Want to be a Bounty Hunter with a heart of gold? You can! The stories themselves can have far reaching repercussions. There was at least one circumstance where I killed a story NPC on one character, but left him alive with another, and to my joy, the character came back into my story and I was able to interact with them. Not so on the other one. This game IS also a great balance between game time, combat time, and crafting time...mostly because farming is pretty much OFF the table, unless you so choose to do it. The crafting system for missions is great, and lets you send off your companions whilst you continue with your stories. This game IS a great single and multiplayer experience, so long as you don't mind a multiplayer experience that is primarily "Heroic" mission, dungeon, operation (raid), and PvP based. This game IS great at immersion in that the environments not only feel Star Wars, but also feel plausible. From the planetary metropolis of Coruscant, to the frozen wastes of Hoth, you feel like it's a Star Wars environment. The game IS great at scaling zones-instead of a uniform size of planets (a la SWG), your starter planets are more a "portion" of the planet, and as you level and gain access to better transportation methods, the planets become bigger and bigger. (Hoth, for instance, is MASSIVE) This game IS well thought out for balancing zone creation, with a feeling of size, scale, and immersion. This game IS a GREAT first installment to a MMO franchise, almost worthy of saying "WoW Vanilla" level. Myself, I have spent a good two months+ in early access and full game and I have yet to cap level on any character because I have been enjoying SO MUCH. Each story is different for each of the main classes, and while the average side missions are sometimes generic, you do have a fair amount of stories that you can do again and again, take a different option and see what happens. This makes for a high level of re-playability, especially if you are a fan of Bioware stories.
    Now for the IS NOT: Most of all, this game IS NOT finished. Meaning, like WoW, it is NOT a completely finished, established, and grown MMORPG. Like WoW, it takes TIME for good, core players on each server to coalesce and create a community. This game IS NOT the best PvP experience in the world...but then neither is WoW, Rift, or any other game.WoW took OVER A YEAR to implement the first battlegrounds in WSG, AB, and AV. This game IS NOT the best for max level content. WoW took a YEAR for there to be appreciable content at level 60, and this game has what could be considered the equivalent of the lower level dungeon raids such as LBRS and UBRS (WoW Vanilla 15 man version, but with 8 people), as well as a couple of upper level operations (A la MC 40, but with 12 people). It took WoW over TWO years, multiple patches, and time for them to develop endgame. This game IS NOT your standard MMORPG with your text quests that you don't have to pay attention to. Spacebar through the dialogue and you risk missing important information, or pissing off your companion. Finally, this game IS NOT uber friendly to player RP, as you can't even sit on a chair.
    There is much more I could add, but it would take more time, so I will summarize with this: This game EASILY has over 100 hours of playtime in it and that, in and of itself, justifies the $60 cost imho. It is a MMO game with great RPG value. If you want to get in on the beginning level of a game that will feel somewhat familiar to WoW Vanilla people (i.e. lots of potential, great stuff, and can't wait for the next content patch) then this game IS for you! If you want a completely finished, established game with loads of endgame content, this game IS NOT for you...Period.
  37. Dec 22, 2011
    I haven't played that much since the early access, I got a level 15 character now and I must say unlike most other blockbuster releases over the last couple of months this game really got me into it - and i don't have any strong feelings towards star wars or any science-fiction universe.
    of course its core is nothing new, but the all the people playing are really trying to get a nice experience out of it.
    the graphic's are likeable, though the engine isn't always as smooth as it could be. i guess i'm gonna spend a lot more hours on the several planets and the space between...
  38. Apr 23, 2012
    I have been playing SWTOR for a few days, I'm level 19 by now, and it looks pretty cool. I haven't played many mmo's, just a few eastern ones of mediocre quality, and I haven't played WoW. I mention this because I think it's important, because I rate swtor while having little to no experience of MMOs. The only noticably bad thing I see about the game is that the servers are not veryI have been playing SWTOR for a few days, I'm level 19 by now, and it looks pretty cool. I haven't played many mmo's, just a few eastern ones of mediocre quality, and I haven't played WoW. I mention this because I think it's important, because I rate swtor while having little to no experience of MMOs. The only noticably bad thing I see about the game is that the servers are not very crowded. In my planet zone today I only found 8 people max, during the whole day. It doesn't feel too much like an online game, which is a pity. Still, the game's fairly new and who knows, maybe in the future it may grow up to be like WoW. WoW didn't get so many million subscribers from its beginning, anyway, did it? Expand
  39. Dec 22, 2011
    Speaking of Bioware... I loved BG 1 and 2, I loved KOTOR, I loved both ME games, I liked DA:O very much, I was bored to death with DA2. And I'm in love again with TOR. Thank you Bioware :)
  40. Dec 23, 2011
    *WARNING* This is an RPG MMO, with intricate story telling, with you (and your friends) as the main characters and is meant to be played as such. So all of the complaints about Endgame content, because someone chose to grind their char to max lvl the same day the game was released, instead of actually having fun playing the game... this game is obviously not intended for you. On to the*WARNING* This is an RPG MMO, with intricate story telling, with you (and your friends) as the main characters and is meant to be played as such. So all of the complaints about Endgame content, because someone chose to grind their char to max lvl the same day the game was released, instead of actually having fun playing the game... this game is obviously not intended for you. On to the game review:
    First, I would like to acknowledge the fact that SWTOR did borrow heavily from WoW. Which so happens is the most successful MMO out in the US. WoW however, had also borrowed heavily from other games, most notably EQ and Warhammer at the time and was far less stable then SWTOR is now.
    2nd, SWTOR is fun. It blends the traditional Bioware SWKOTOR/MassEffect/DragonAage RPG as we have come to know, with multiplayer instanced zones and battles. These zones are a blessing and a curse. A blessing in the respect that you don't have to wait in line for hundreds of people who are killing the same boss over and over, plus a curse because the world seems (on the surface) less populated then it really is.
    The story telling is great, for it is wonderfully engaging, well voice acted and even feels epic at times. Truly immersing you in to their StarWars universe and making you feel as if you play an important role. Light and Dark side moral choices and traditional Bioware companions/relationships are excellent additions as well (if not already expected).
    3rd the original musical score is Epic and everything you would expect from any StarWars movie.
    4rth I am not traditionally a tradeskill/farming type of player and I truly enjoy the companions doing all the tradeskill "legwork" for you. Both on and offline.
    5th PVP still needs balance. They have some creative ideas for the PVP battles, like normalizing hit points and damage, so all lvls can compete. But class bias, chaotic zerg style of fights and dieing before you can even figure who hit you, seriously needs balancing. Mind you I have not seen maxed lvl pvp. So take that from a 30 something.
    Lastly, there are a handful of minor bugs, that are noticeable, but not game shattering. Although, for some reason Bioware disabled AA during the beta and has not brought it back yet. So for now you either have to either put up with jagged edge graphics, or use Nvidia/ATI tools to force it until they patch it.
    My Rating for SWTOR: 8.2
    Gameplay: 9 (-1 for WoW esque)
    Story: 9 (Voice Acting and YOU are the main character, -1 for periodic obscure chat dialog choices)
    Sound: 10 (Traditional StarWars sound effects mixed with truly movie worthy soundtracks)
    Graphics: 7 (until they patch AA)
    PVP: 6 (Balance issues)
  41. Dec 20, 2011
    A solid MMO with that special Bioware storytelling magic added on. SWTOR is a ton of fun and offers some of the most rewarding MMO questing to date. The addition of complex class-specific storylines and moral choices with light-side/dark-side points adds an element to the MMO questing experience that is unlike any other game.
  42. Dec 20, 2011
    Bottom line on TOR is that if you love BioWare style storytelling, and don't absolutely loathe traditional themepark MMO mechanics, you will probably like this game, maybe even love it. But if you think story doesn't belong in MMOs, or themeparks suck, look elsewhere.
  43. Dec 21, 2011
    Don't trust user reviews anymore, MW3 is a fun game and delivers exactly what's its fans want, yet it got a bad user score. I love Kotor, but Tor is better.
  44. Dec 29, 2011
    Awesome game! Whilst some aspects may be familar to MMO veterans (which isn't that suprising...it hasn't invented its own genre) the fact that each class has its own well written, immersive, and fully voiced story is where this game's innovation lies. I'm becoming slowly more and more addicted to this game, and have more or less stopped playing anything else despite the awesome games thatAwesome game! Whilst some aspects may be familar to MMO veterans (which isn't that suprising...it hasn't invented its own genre) the fact that each class has its own well written, immersive, and fully voiced story is where this game's innovation lies. I'm becoming slowly more and more addicted to this game, and have more or less stopped playing anything else despite the awesome games that are out right now!

If you liked KOTOR or Dragon age you will probably also like this. It's basically a modernised KOTOR that you share with friends and other people on the internet.
  45. Mar 12, 2012
    IMO, I finally an mmo, that can satisfy. For an mmo in it's infancy, this game is extremely refined. I have been playing since launch, and I was very skeptical. I wasn't expecting this game to be so nicely involved with story, and great pvp. This game won't please everyone, and there are a lot of wow fanbois feeling the pain with their new happy pandas, and don't want to lose theirIMO, I finally an mmo, that can satisfy. For an mmo in it's infancy, this game is extremely refined. I have been playing since launch, and I was very skeptical. I wasn't expecting this game to be so nicely involved with story, and great pvp. This game won't please everyone, and there are a lot of wow fanbois feeling the pain with their new happy pandas, and don't want to lose their game. But if you want an mmo with some grit, and a game that entertains, this is a good one. At least try it and find out for yourself. Expand
  46. Dec 20, 2011
    After the turd that was Dragon Age II I was worried, but with this fantastic game Bioware has won me back. Server queues are a problem for now, but otherwise I don't think I've ever played a game with such engrossing storytelling. For once, I actually give a damn about my character - they're not just some avatar that I stick things on. Praise also needs to be given for being one of theAfter the turd that was Dragon Age II I was worried, but with this fantastic game Bioware has won me back. Server queues are a problem for now, but otherwise I don't think I've ever played a game with such engrossing storytelling. For once, I actually give a damn about my character - they're not just some avatar that I stick things on. Praise also needs to be given for being one of the first RPGs to actually bother with a proper evil storyline, instead of just making evil acts all those that are "not good". The game has a lot of stock MMO elements but these are generally well-done. The UI is imperfect, and needs improvement. Expand
  47. Dec 20, 2011
    The only MMO on the market that is worth a subscription fee. A true masterpiece from BioWare. The attention to detail and the unique aspects of the game are mind blowing. I am hooked.
  48. Dec 22, 2011
    It's amazing how many people are giving the game scores of 0 or 1 where they've played the game for 30 minutes. This game is not perfect, they did not innovate in the gameplay department they took a working system (which is something they have said they were going to do from the begining) and applied their story telling techniques to it. The gameplay is reminiscent of dozens of otherIt's amazing how many people are giving the game scores of 0 or 1 where they've played the game for 30 minutes. This game is not perfect, they did not innovate in the gameplay department they took a working system (which is something they have said they were going to do from the begining) and applied their story telling techniques to it. The gameplay is reminiscent of dozens of other games before it, there are limitations to the UI BUT what it does bring is an actual story. WoW was never compelling because there was no worth to your character it was a collection of OCD traits for hording collecting compiled in to an avatar. SWTOR creates characters where your decisions reflect on your story, you have a real weight behind your character and there is actual connections with the other players on your "Stage" the complaints it's "Zoned" and a "lobby" game are not really well founded. The game is instanced but it's easy to jump between them and given the immediate load it's probably best they did this as it saved them a lot of server trouble.

It boils down to this, if you like Bioware stories, if you like Star Wars' Expanded Universe, if you like feeling like you're actually achieving something with your character you will enjoy this game. If you are looking for something to "reinvent the genre" go elsewhere.
  49. Jan 6, 2012
    First off I have been playing MMO's for 13 years. Started with Everquest and moved onto many others through the years including Shadowbane, Final Fantasy XI, SWG, DDO, Vanguard, WOW (not much time spent in WOW) and Everquest 2. I show the games I have played so anyone that reads knows I am not just blowing smoke.

About 2 years ago I just did not feel like playing MMO's anymore, I went to

About 2 years ago I just did not feel like playing MMO's anymore, I went to log into a game one evening and just said to myself that this is just really not fun anymore. That night I canceled my active subs to the 2 games I was currently playing. Before that time I was really looking forward to SWTOR and even after I decided to quit MMO's I still followed the development off and on. I did go ahead and pre-order a couple of days after it was announced, I was really hoping that the game would reignite my passion for this genre.

During my hiatus from MMO's I had some time to think about why I just did not want to play them anymore and what made me play them in the first place. Everquest and Final Fantasy XI to such a long time to level that you could go days without feeling like you achieved anything but I absolutely loved the communities. Shadowbane was just flat out fun to play when you felt like some PVP but that was it, no dungeons, economy was crap etc... DDO had awesome dungeons but nothing else. SWG was fun until they screwed it up with their improvements but could not attain mass appeal mostly because of the sandbox design, most people just do not want that. WOW was never really given a chance by me, I have the collector's edition still sitting on my shelf. I played for about 2 weeks and quit because of the obnoxious players that happened to choose the same server as myself. Everquest 2 was fun but I think this is when I started feeling like it was just not fun anymore.

Having pre-ordered I was able to begin playing on day one of early access. Having played since the 13th I can honestly say that SWTOR has definitely brought the spark back. I cannot wait to get home from work to log in. Does it have some problems, yes but anyone who has ever played an MMO knows that there will be problems and with every new piece of content more problems will surface. Nature of the beast. The awesome definitely outweighs the problems.

Cons:
    Ability animation lag. Cannot see this bug lasting much longer, not a game breaking bug but one that hampers enjoyment.

GTN needs some refinement, it is passable for now but would like to see it improved.

The UI needs to be customizable. I am running this on a laptop with an odd resolution, this causes some windows and bars to overlap oddly.

Chat Bubbles would be a nice addition.

The LFG tool is there, just type LFG in the search and it brings up everybody with their tag on but I would like to see this improved upon as a lot of people simply don't know you can do that.

Jumping ability seems clunky and sluggish, one night I can get a datacron on the first try, the next I feel like I forgot how to jump onto a box.

Pros:
    This is the first time with regards to my mmo characters that I feel like I am truly a hero and not just mage number 1100 or some Paladin who is not awesome enough to be protecting the king. The head of the Jedi Order actually asked to see me at level 3. Awesome.

I can honestly say that I have not even so much as thought about looking at my experience bar, I am pleasantly surprised when I find the level up graphic over my head. That is saying something in the MMO world.

Great balance between solo and group content. This past weekend I ran in a group all day Saturday, it was so much fun. Sunday I had to be on call for work so I knew I may have to stop playing at any second so I ran solo that day while having a blast hunting for datacrons with other people and chatting it up on General and through Whispers.

I can honestly say I have not group this much since playing Final Fantasy XI when you had to have a full group to kill anything that conned hard or above.

In every area of the planets I quest on I see people running around questing but I have not had to fight over a spawn once. Actually if I or someone else sees we are on the same objective we give a quick whisper to make sure and just group up. Much fun.

The boss battles in the flashpoints have been a blast, you fight one who is a tank and spank and go into the next one thinking the same and bam, the boss disappears and you have to start dodging fireballs. Good times.

Crafting has been fun, still too early to see how much money can be made and what will sell but I am very much enjoying the mechanics.

This is starting to get fairly long so I will stop. I have to say thank you Bioware, this is the game for me and I will be here for a good long while. I am no blind fanboy but I know what I likes and I likes the game.
  50. Dec 20, 2011
    It was to be expected: many people raging all over metacritic cause BioWare *** this and BioWare **** that. Really, since DA2 they suddenly can't do any good anymore. It would be safe to ignore all that biased hate cause The Old Republic is a very interesting and addicting game. It has a lot of content and plays quite like you know from the KotOR games. Does it feel like an MMO? Yes itIt was to be expected: many people raging all over metacritic cause BioWare *** this and BioWare **** that. Really, since DA2 they suddenly can't do any good anymore. It would be safe to ignore all that biased hate cause The Old Republic is a very interesting and addicting game. It has a lot of content and plays quite like you know from the KotOR games. Does it feel like an MMO? Yes it does, you are hardly ever alone except when you go advance in your personal story and even then you can take someone along. Planets are quite big and there is much to see and to do. Classes seem to be balanced so no problem there. PvP is a bit like WoW. You're playing in battlegrounds but there is also open world pvp for big battles. Only thing I miss right now is anti-aliasing but BioWare said they would throw that in shortly after launch just as more content so there will be plenty of things to do. This one's a winner and could overthrow WoW I'm sure. Having a great time in a Galaxy far, far away... Expand
  51. Jan 8, 2017
    Deleted review based on new info. Deleted review based on new info. Deleted review based on new info. Deleted review based on new info. Deleted review based on new info. Deleted review based on new info. Deleted review based on new info.
  52. Oct 27, 2015
    One of the best MMO in the market. I guess I am over 1,000 hours of play and I own 8 characters. An awesome story-driven MMO, with PVE and PVP fights. Forget here to find hackers, you can play safe. Now it's also free-to-play. You have play it!!
  53. Dec 30, 2011
    Awesome game, if you were expecting something hugely different from WoW, sorry to dissappoint. Seems only the WoW fanboys are crying on the negative reviews. This is a masterpiece
  54. Dec 22, 2011
    Great game. It's fun - not to mention so refreshing than dealing with swords, shields, and QQing Deathknights 10/44 year olds. I love all the WoW players who are hating on this game because half their friends left for it. Time to grow up, folks!
  55. Dec 20, 2011
    This is the game for you if you like mmorpgs but are bored of world of warcraft., very inmersive and fun, bioware has to do lots of thing to improve it, but as it is now already is a very solid game. My score would be a 8, but seeing that people only use 0 when they want to criticize i have to give a 10 for it to balance out.
  56. Dec 20, 2011
    Probably my favorite MMO (not a knee-jerk reaction I played the beta for months) and I've played quite a few from DAoC to WoW. At this point I my ideal game has an intriguing story and SWTOR easily delivers. You're essentially getting 8 good-great single player games in one. I look at this as my middle-class mans mass effect that never ends.
    The common legitimate complaints generally
    The common legitimate complaints generally stem from sandbox players and they're completely valid, if you're not a fan of a more linear style of game or class constraints this may not be for you. However if you enjoy an excellent story (for an MMO) and highly polished game play you may be able to overlook the fact that you can't make a jedi with blasters who has to run fly 3 days in real time to reach the second planet. The graphics are fine (people who say they are comparable to wow are blind or playing on a toaster) and have been improved upon quite a bit from the early beta builds (they're definitely not great or revolutionary, but I'd say they are "good"). The game is focused on its many storyline which are, for the most part, quite good. At this point in time, technology limits the amount choices in a game can affect the world, it's simply not practical for bioware to allow choices to noticeably change the galaxy. I can actually think of a few instances of sparing a person and have him actually turn up later in the game, I'd say that's fairly impressive. Overall I'd say the game sits in the 9-10 range. Metacritic should really do some pruning on these reviews it's pretty obvious when 90% of the negative comments are made from accounts with 1 post who proceeded to thumbs up every negative comment and thumbs down the positives. I mean there's no way a post that says "Bioware sold their soul to the EA devil... **** GAME!!!" is in anyway helpful the reader. I don't mean to say that all negative reviews should be discounted, there are legitimate complaints to be maid and ultimately SWTOR may not be your style of game. Still the polished game play and story make this a must buy.
  57. Dec 20, 2011
    This is clearly the new benchmark MMO replacing WoW. Basically, they picked up everything that is great in WoW, gave it their signature Bioware design and now we get to enjoy a nearly perfect MMO. The launch worked great as well. They did their homework and it is probably the most stable, freshly released MMO I ever played. The game itself gives us beautiful graphics, excellent sound (itThis is clearly the new benchmark MMO replacing WoW. Basically, they picked up everything that is great in WoW, gave it their signature Bioware design and now we get to enjoy a nearly perfect MMO. The launch worked great as well. They did their homework and it is probably the most stable, freshly released MMO I ever played. The game itself gives us beautiful graphics, excellent sound (it is soooo cool hearing all the different races talk in their native language and it really helps you getting into the game), nice missions and smooth game play without grief points other MMOs have. When I am looking at some of the low rating I am wondering if these people even played or if they are just WoW fan-boys who can't get over the fact that their game might no longer be number one. Expand
  58. Feb 5, 2017
    Still truly amazing, and the new expansions have really gave us more intrigue story to sink our teeth into.
    A great story-driven mmorg that makes you the centre of the story and not just a mook.
    Wonderful!
  59. Dec 20, 2011
    This is a masterpiece of a Star Wars experience set in the MMO genre. Bioware has done so many things right with this title as an epic saga that you forget your playing an online game. Action, adventure, group content, multi-player conversations, epic large group world bosses, gear progression, gear customization, etc etc etc. It is what you expect an MMO to be with some seriously niceThis is a masterpiece of a Star Wars experience set in the MMO genre. Bioware has done so many things right with this title as an epic saga that you forget your playing an online game. Action, adventure, group content, multi-player conversations, epic large group world bosses, gear progression, gear customization, etc etc etc. It is what you expect an MMO to be with some seriously nice surprises. Though I do not dispute the fact that this game is not for everyone (because its an MMO and play as such), I also know trolls will be trolls, and some of the reviews for this game were only created to instill doubt and conflict. I'll lay it out honestly. SWTOR doesn't do a whole lot to push the genre forward with this game, however, what Bioware did, they did beautifully and a fully voiced experience should become the new standard for AAA MMO titles. If you are a fan of MMO's, you'll feel right at home. If you're a fan of epic star wars adventures with interactive cinematic storytelling, you'll be in heaven. This is a well produced, well developed MMORPG with all the trimmings.With the amount of interest in this game, the impossible was accomplished. Bioware managed to launch this behemoth with no downtime, no server lag with the occasional queue for some of the highest populated servers. Smoothest MMO launch this fella has ever experienced. Their do-diligence really paid off here for the customer, and I appreciate that Bioware found success where 99% of MMO launches have failed. This game is worth every penny right out of the box, and I can not wait to see what's coming by way of future content patches. Hold on to your seats, this is going to be one long and epic ride. Expand
  60. Dec 22, 2011
    I love the storylines, I love the setting, and I'm a huge fan of the way the game immerses you. If anything, it just seems like it took some of the best stuff the KOTOR games had to offer, and added some MMO functionality onto it. If anything, the MMO parts are its weak points. Thankfully, the option of playing it as a single-player game, with only the multiplayer you want to deal with,I love the storylines, I love the setting, and I'm a huge fan of the way the game immerses you. If anything, it just seems like it took some of the best stuff the KOTOR games had to offer, and added some MMO functionality onto it. If anything, the MMO parts are its weak points. Thankfully, the option of playing it as a single-player game, with only the multiplayer you want to deal with, makes it worth playing. Expand
  61. Feb 24, 2012
    This game has its share of disappointments, but overall I think Star Wars: The Old Republic is an extraordinarily strong foundation to be built upon. After taking a 3-week break for midterm exams, I finally finished my Bounty Hunter's story line, and I feel I have experienced enough of the game to write a realistic review (although I can't really discuss PVP if that's what you're into,This game has its share of disappointments, but overall I think Star Wars: The Old Republic is an extraordinarily strong foundation to be built upon. After taking a 3-week break for midterm exams, I finally finished my Bounty Hunter's story line, and I feel I have experienced enough of the game to write a realistic review (although I can't really discuss PVP if that's what you're into, since my computer isn't good enough to handle it). That point actually brings my to my first gripe in that I think Bioware hyped the low graphics requirements, as compared to WoW, a little too much. This game barely works on my computer. I can do flashpoints but that's about the extent to which I can go. Other than that there are fairly frequent graphics bugs to be encountered, as well as some gameplay glitches that are in a very speedy ironing-out process at the moment. That at least is appreciated. Now that I've got my bigger gripes out of the way, let me just state this point-blank. I love this game. It is fantastic. Looking past the bugs, if you are a gamer who appreciates good story, good character development, and a fleshed-out world, this game delivers like no other ever has. It scratched both my open-world Bethesda and my MMO itches simultaneously. How did it do this? This game, if you are into PVE stuff, is essentially 8 single-player games with streamlined and infused multiplayer functionality. You can go through all you adventures solo easily if you want to, and have a great time doing it. Or at any point you can group up with people for questing, flashpoints, PvP, you name it. Bioware has also taken a lot of the grind out of the MMO experience. I felt like I was playing for the story, and that I actually cared about the questing between the beginning and level cap, instead of racing to get to 85 as I have done so often in WoW. Crafting is also much more fun, and much faster than WoW's. Again, very much appreciated. Once you do finish the main questline, however, there isn't yet a whole lot to do, but Bioware is working on that and what they do have in terms of endgame PVE material is at least solid. Overall, what I just can't get over is how much more mature the stories feel in this game compared to, in fact, *any* of the Star Wars movies. So that said, if you are interested in a incredibly well fleshed-out Star Wars adventure and story experience with MMO integration, than I cannot recommend this game highly enough. For those of you who are just interested in PvPing and racing your way to the end, perhaps not so much. I do feel this game is better than the 5.8 it currently has however, it just might not be for everybody. Expand
  62. Jan 1, 2012
    This game is hard to judge until you've played all of it, it lags at points like all mmos doâ
  63. Dec 22, 2011
    Amazing game with fantastic voice work, story and multi player content, so far 60ish hours in and its a worth successor to the KOTOR series. The flashpoints are epic, the sound fantastic and it really feels like star wars. The only downside is that with so many side quests it can dilute the class story a bit.
  64. Dec 23, 2011
    A great combination of RPG and MMO, a true MMORPG. The story lines are great, especially for the Empire, The graphics are nice for an MMO, and the voices acting is great. Some small hiccups with minor bugs and the queues are still there, but overall, extremely entertaining. Additional character customization would be nice, but a majority of MMO's are lacking in this area. Anxious to seeA great combination of RPG and MMO, a true MMORPG. The story lines are great, especially for the Empire, The graphics are nice for an MMO, and the voices acting is great. Some small hiccups with minor bugs and the queues are still there, but overall, extremely entertaining. Additional character customization would be nice, but a majority of MMO's are lacking in this area. Anxious to see how the game progresses and new content is added. Expand
  65. Dec 24, 2011
    The people that are giving this game negative reviews are most likely not playing the game or expected TOR to be SWG2.0 or extremely brand new. TOR, since day 1, was announced to be building on the already proven MMO formula that seems to be rooted in the direction of EQ/WoW. Its not WoW "in-space", but its a well-made MMO with a GREAT story. If you enjoyed KOTOR, ME/ME2/DA/DA2 - you willThe people that are giving this game negative reviews are most likely not playing the game or expected TOR to be SWG2.0 or extremely brand new. TOR, since day 1, was announced to be building on the already proven MMO formula that seems to be rooted in the direction of EQ/WoW. Its not WoW "in-space", but its a well-made MMO with a GREAT story. If you enjoyed KOTOR, ME/ME2/DA/DA2 - you will love TOR as it allows you to have all what those single player games offered and adds multiplayer aspect to it. I personally love the PvP, love the flashpoints, love the classes. By no means this game is ideal, but out of the MMO launches that I've been in - this is the best MMO at launch and the BEST launch experience I've ever had (and i've played most MMOs in the past 7 years). I recommend this game if you like BioWare games and if you like MMO games. Otherwise wait for trial version! Expand
  66. Jan 6, 2012
    The game is an MMO at heart. If you don't like MMO's you will not like Star Wars. That being said what it does, it does extremely well. The story and voice acting are tremendous, as well as the game play is awesome. If you like MMO's and you like Star Wars it's a must buy.
  67. Dec 24, 2011
    While not a perfect game by any means, and still getting a few bugs ironed out, the only reason this game has middling user review score is because of the scores of haters that inhabit the video game fandom.

BioWare has added a solid addition into the MMO market, rich with plot, making it compelling to level up multiple alts just to see all the different story arcs, as well as made a pretty smooth launch. The Star Wars universe feels alive as you progress your way through dialogues where your choices affect your character for the rest of your playing experience, with my Jedi Knight still being plagued by a "misguided" Dark Side decision I made early in the game.

As I said, though, the game isn't perfect, and I will definitely put some criticism in here that there are some bugs that really should have been worked out in beta. Graphical glitches that make it seem that there's a laser light show going off behind you and certain abilities, like sending off your companion to sell your gray items, only work sporadically. The auction house system's UI is extremely user unfriendly, as well. I'm not one to use a lot of mods in MMO's, as I feel in order to claim yourself as being a good player, you should be able to use the default UI, but if that AH doesn't get improved, as soon as the mod market is open, I'll definitely be getting one for that.

Definitely worth checking out if you want to try an MMO or absolutely love Star Wars, there's nothing like the thrill of getting your first lightsaber...
  68. Jul 15, 2012
    I'm a big fan of the two Knights of the Old Republic games for which this game is a loose sequel. I have to admit I was worried that the Old Republic wouldn't live up to the achievement of the original games. Though TOR isn't as groundbreaking as its predecessors, it is still a damn good game. The sheer size of the game gives you the freedom to go anywhere you would want to as a Star WarsI'm a big fan of the two Knights of the Old Republic games for which this game is a loose sequel. I have to admit I was worried that the Old Republic wouldn't live up to the achievement of the original games. Though TOR isn't as groundbreaking as its predecessors, it is still a damn good game. The sheer size of the game gives you the freedom to go anywhere you would want to as a Star Wars fan, and the missions that accompany this universe are actually quite addictive rather than repetitive. The combat is still pretty good, and it far outranks the button mashing fps games of today's world. The plots have an epic feel to them, however, much like the companions, they lack the personal feel that was present in the KOTOR games. Besides that point though, I have to say that Bioware have still got it, and TOR is an impressive and inventive game. However, I believe it would have fared better as just an RPG, rather than an MMORPG, as it would have allowed more room for the personal points of KOTOR to be integrated into it. Expand
  69. Dec 20, 2011
    Beautiful storyline and beautiful graphics Lucas team did a superb job. Currently leveling a Sith warrior and so far it is enjoyable. Questing is fun one minute you're on planet and the next deep in space. Haven't encountered any PVP yet, I am a level 21, so far the dungeons have been great I am fighting great Jedi knights known in them movies with you and a group of random people. As farBeautiful storyline and beautiful graphics Lucas team did a superb job. Currently leveling a Sith warrior and so far it is enjoyable. Questing is fun one minute you're on planet and the next deep in space. Haven't encountered any PVP yet, I am a level 21, so far the dungeons have been great I am fighting great Jedi knights known in them movies with you and a group of random people. As far as professions, you don't have to worry you have slaves that can work for you 24/7, so you don't have to be picking on herbs have your slave to do it. So, far it is a fun game and can't wait for end content raiding, world bosses, and PVP SAAAAAN! Expand
  70. Dec 17, 2012
    Where do i start with SWTOR ? to start with i wont lie this game upon release was very very buggy. There is also no doubt in my mind at least that it seems like the developers released this game way too early to meet a unrealistic marketing schedule. But after playing this game for a while now and seeing the game overcome the initial bugs and unbalanced issues i will say the game is now aWhere do i start with SWTOR ? to start with i wont lie this game upon release was very very buggy. There is also no doubt in my mind at least that it seems like the developers released this game way too early to meet a unrealistic marketing schedule. But after playing this game for a while now and seeing the game overcome the initial bugs and unbalanced issues i will say the game is now a lot more highly polished and worthy of most gamers time. If you are a star wars fan this game is now a no brainer, the cost of the game is low and is either free to play of a very low monthly sub to enjoy a game with a few more shinies than the free to play players. I can honestly say ive wasted a lot more money on games not half as good as this game so give it a whirl. If you are a new player you are coming to the game at just the right time. Expand
  71. Feb 1, 2012
    Alright, first of all, the game still needs some kinks worked out. That said, this game is great, and can only get better. I gave an 8 simply because I think it has room to improve, and would rate it a 9 if all of my issues were resolved. Lots of people are griping about lots of things, but the game has only just arrived. Sure, maybe they pushed it out the door with kinks worked out, butAlright, first of all, the game still needs some kinks worked out. That said, this game is great, and can only get better. I gave an 8 simply because I think it has room to improve, and would rate it a 9 if all of my issues were resolved. Lots of people are griping about lots of things, but the game has only just arrived. Sure, maybe they pushed it out the door with kinks worked out, but none are so detrimental to the overall gameplay experience that it makes the game unenjoyable. The graphics are great, the class stories are great, every quest has dialogue you can listen to ( if that's your thing,) and the pvp isn't half bad (although pvp is my favorite aspect, so I am a little picky about it.) A lot of effort went into this game, and it's obvious. I have played mmos for several years now, and this is the first one I will actually pay attention to the quests, and dialogue. It's well done, and if it becomes too much, you can simply spacebar through the bulk of it. At first pvp took place with all characters 10-50. Lowbies were all given a buff to bring them statwise on par with the 50s, although they lacked gear, and skills. Now, the 50s have their own bracket, and the 10-49s are all facing each other. I am hopeful at some point they will bracket it even more, to give it a more competitive nature. The pvp warzones are fun, and while they aren't perfect, I am sure others will be added later. WoW only started with 3 battlegrounds, and look at it now. Yes, the game has issues, but it's still new! Give it a chance to 'evolve' before casting it aside! I bet it will suprise ya! Expand
  72. Dec 22, 2011
    Best themepark MMO ever. If that's not that your thing, don't buy the game. Bioware does an excellent job incorporating tried and true themepark elements, great VO, beautiful graphics and engaging story. On top of that, they have had the best launch in MMO history - way more polished than WoW, EQ2, Lotro, or Rift. If you liked those games, or you like Bioware games in general, then youBest themepark MMO ever. If that's not that your thing, don't buy the game. Bioware does an excellent job incorporating tried and true themepark elements, great VO, beautiful graphics and engaging story. On top of that, they have had the best launch in MMO history - way more polished than WoW, EQ2, Lotro, or Rift. If you liked those games, or you like Bioware games in general, then you have nothing to lose in checking this game out. If, on the other hand, you like sandboxes like Eve Online or SWG then this isn't your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that.

Just please stop trying to judge a themepark as a sandbox. That's like complaining "Shawn of the Dead" wasn't scary enough. -1 point for missing guild features and UI, LFG tools, and an auction house that all need work. I expect all those issues to be ironed out within the next few months.
  73. Dec 21, 2011
    Been fantastic so far. The story makes all the difference. I actually care about the character I'm playing for once. There's no way you can rate this below a 5. Even if you think it is a knock off of WoW it's polished as hell and introduces a dynamic story.
  74. May 19, 2012
    As my first earnest go in the MMO genre (2 weeks of Guild Wars and 2 days of WoW played prior) - I can honestly say this has brought me whole hearted-ly into the MMO space with love. I have been playing now since the Australasian launch (March) and have subbed for another 6 months on the basis that this is some of the best gaming I've experienced.... ever.

I've played both Republic and

I've played both Republic and Imperial sides - 3 characters to 50, and several alts levelled to 20 or so.. and I can honestly say it's some of the best storytelling in the business. I've come from an RPG background (Baldur's Gate / PST / Arcanum style), and this has been a learning experience for me - the richness and deep skill involved with PvP/Tactics and gear selection have all surprised me.. It is some hearty stuff, and if you're a Star Wars fan, you will be in HEAVEN (as I am).

Go out and get this game if you:

1) Love Star Wars / 2) Love RPGs with great story / 3) Love competitive online PvP

10/10 - so good!!
  75. Dec 28, 2011
    Out of the park they did hit, yes. This game is amazingly fun. If you like the way MMOs play and like Star Wars, it's really a no-brainer. Buy it and have fun!
  76. op8
    Dec 26, 2011
    My advice to anyone wasting there time reading these user reviews is to look away now and not to bother.
    its become such a joke now i think they should scrap user reviews or drastically change requirements to somthing like IMDB has.

as far as this game goes, i think its a great bit of fun.It is what it is, and if you like mmo's and star wars you'll be happy. Even if you dont particular care for mmo's, you can just as easily enjoy TOR as a single player experience if it so pleases you.
  77. Dec 30, 2011
    this is a good game. why? 1- polished at release
    2- decent graphics
    3- pretty good combat system 4- great stories: all quests are voice acted. this forces you to slow down and actually participate in the story. while i didn't see the significance of such a decision initially, after a few days of play, i get it. it breaks up the questing so you don't feel like you just running on a
    this is a good game. why? 1- polished at release
    2- decent graphics
    3- pretty good combat system
    4- great stories: all quests are voice acted. this forces you to slow down and actually participate in the story. while i didn't see the significance of such a decision initially, after a few days of play, i get it. it breaks up the questing so you don't feel like you just running on a tread mill of "go here, do this". and you have options that allow you to customize your interaction in a manner consistent with your character concept. some folks have complained that wanting to get light/dark points forces you to answer a certain way, but they're missing the point. you have ample opportunity for light/dark points. you don't HAVE to respond in a way that will get you min/maxed. so yes, you DO have a choice about your interaction. 5- crafting and missions are pretty cool. you can send your minions off to do things for you and secure resources that way. 6- the minions are great. they make a significant contribution to your efforts, allowing you to do things you could not other do. they also have favor points you can build up to increase their loyalty and effectiveness. there are even romantic options with some of them and, according to bioware, more to come. 7- the light/dark points add an extra layer to an already mult-layered game. there are multiple ways to advance and you can open some pretty interesting dialogue options that have very interesting outcomes. -- thus decreasing the overall "linear" feel of the game.
    8- a good main story line that really contributes to a feeling of growth in your character. the story lines are class specific so you get to really fill out a role and philosophy.
    9- there's pvp. in areas and servers so you can take your pick.
    10- it's a fairly open world with lots of exploration opportunities. all in all, i feel like this is a game that contributes a good bit to the mmo genre and is presents a truly enjoyable experience on the level of wow or coh/v. good job bioware.
  78. Dec 23, 2011
    This is KOTOR with multiplayer and at least ten times more content than ordinary KOTOR 3 might have had. Any KOTOR fan can only be impressed.;)
    I hope WoW fanboys and **** trolls will find better things to do than spamming this site and SWTOR with bad ratings and reviews.
  79. Jul 12, 2012
    Great MMO that really adds some novelty to the genre. The stories told are really good, there is one different story per class, great voice acting . It's really worth it to level up multiple characters. I have so far 2 lvl 50 on republic side and leveling 2 more on empire side. There is a lot to do after lvl 50 : operations, world bosses, pvp, space combat.
    Only down sides would be
    Only down sides would be customization of characters and graphics that aren't state of the art but they are still pretty good.
  80. Dec 26, 2011
    So my previous review shows the score as 0, though when writing it, is shows 10. My primary review is a 10, since I can't edit or correct it, I will just addendum here.
  81. Oct 14, 2013
    Truly amazing. An online gaming experience that can be played as a group experience or as an individual self contained story. Bioware rewards subscribers, but the core experience remains even for free to play players. The star here is the individual well written and rewarding stories for each playable class. There are interesting and not-too repetitive (it's an mmo, repetition is part ofTruly amazing. An online gaming experience that can be played as a group experience or as an individual self contained story. Bioware rewards subscribers, but the core experience remains even for free to play players. The star here is the individual well written and rewarding stories for each playable class. There are interesting and not-too repetitive (it's an mmo, repetition is part of the genre) missions. Further, players are rewarded for interacting with other players and for exploration. Any problems are minor. The only true frustration is how difficult the optional datacrons can be to obtain. In earnest, this is the best MMO I've ever attempted. Expand
  82. Jan 12, 2012
    A highly enjoyable experience so far. Look forward so seeing what they'll add in future updates especially for guilds. The spaceship missions are rather fun mini-games too.
  83. Dec 23, 2011
    It's extremely funny to read reviews from people that bash the game to bits while they've been submitted on the day of release, which means they didn't even play it. Everyone played the beta and are basing their arguments on issues that were present there. Yes the game still has things that need to be fixed but by all means it's idiotic to bash something that doesn't even have a week inIt's extremely funny to read reviews from people that bash the game to bits while they've been submitted on the day of release, which means they didn't even play it. Everyone played the beta and are basing their arguments on issues that were present there. Yes the game still has things that need to be fixed but by all means it's idiotic to bash something that doesn't even have a week in existence.
    Arguments about PvP being unbalanced are a joke. Classes will get adjustments in the coming weeks as it's been said by the devs. It's logical for some things to be "wrong" since there are games (no i won't mention which) that run for over 5 years and are still incredibly unbalanced.
    All in all this game has massive potential. It looks very nice, the combat, in my opinion, is pretty fun and the story for each character is just plainly put, amazing. The planets are MASSIVE, apart from the two starting planets, which just get you into the story before getting started. To explore the whole of Tattoine or Alderaan you need at least a couple of hours. Quests are extremelly fun to do, as there are no "kill 20 of x" quests in the game. They do exist but ONLY appear as bonus quests in certain areas while you're doing your main quests and you can just skip them, as they disappear from your log when you leave.
    If you've been thinking of playing an MMO, i suggest you give it a try. It's an amazing journey to take. Haters will hate as they say. When someone types in their review that "It's like WoW in space" and grades it with a "2" or worse, it just shows how bad fanboys can hurt a good upcoming game. If it's as good as wow, then why do you slap it down..?
    It's far from perfect and that's why i give it an 8. But it's only the beginning and i'm having high hopes!
  84. Dec 20, 2011
    I've been playing MMO's for years now and I can easily say TOR is the best I have ever played; it's such a refreshing change to an increasingly stale genre, the story-lines for the individual classes offer very unique experiences to each other and the full voice over for all the quests is extremely satisfying. I found the PVP combat to be very balanced, no class was superior and theI've been playing MMO's for years now and I can easily say TOR is the best I have ever played; it's such a refreshing change to an increasingly stale genre, the story-lines for the individual classes offer very unique experiences to each other and the full voice over for all the quests is extremely satisfying. I found the PVP combat to be very balanced, no class was superior and the various PVP game modes are not only fun but more rewarding than other MMO's PVP content is, you can level up solely from grinding PVP if you want to. I knocked 1 off the score for 2 reasons; the first is the shocking space combat, which in my opinion could have been a browser based mini game as opposed to an advertised feature of the game, it's not that it isn't enjoyable it's just very very basic, the second is the sometimes dodgy animations, /cry is basically your character covering his face with his hands for instance. The crew aspect and owing your own ship reminded me a lot of Bioware's Mass Effect series, which of course isn't a negative point at all, I've played the game for nearing 100 hours now and I have no intention of stopping; this is one hell of a polished MMO that deserves every success it gets. Expand
  85. Feb 17, 2012
    Coming from the point of view of a man who has played many MMO's (Dota, WoW, EVE, Star Trek Online...), this game comes off as vastly superior. Extremely well designed game play, amazing story line (Yes, an MMO with a well brought on story line!).The Old Republic has a Mass Effect / MMO feel to the story line/quests that has the gamer constantly wanting more. The conversation mode is wellComing from the point of view of a man who has played many MMO's (Dota, WoW, EVE, Star Trek Online...), this game comes off as vastly superior. Extremely well designed game play, amazing story line (Yes, an MMO with a well brought on story line!).The Old Republic has a Mass Effect / MMO feel to the story line/quests that has the gamer constantly wanting more. The conversation mode is well done and incorporates the party system of questing very nicely. The combat is similar to that of other MMOs, but there is not much wiggle room when it comes to combat and MMOs. The quests are your typical, kill x amount of enemies, or collect x amount of ______, but again, not a lot of wiggle room in a MMO. The game is moderately buggy, but com'on, it's a 2 month old MMO, give it some time. The Old Republic develops great, and accurate, Star Wars lore, further grasping the feel of "awesome". Deffiently a game worth trying. Expand
  86. Dec 22, 2011
    I love literally everything about this game. Combat and story are engaging, the crafting system is brilliant, the art direction is top notch. This game does not reinvent the wheel, but it makes some damn solid improvements on the formula.
  87. Dec 21, 2011
    It's the voice-acting and story that saves this game! Gameplay, etc is very much like WoW. And truly...I don't care. If you can't come up with a better system, and obviously no one can, as WoW's combat isn't unique to it either. (Yes people liken things to WoW without comparing what they copied) But I could care less if combat isn't revolutionized if the game is fun to play. And soIt's the voice-acting and story that saves this game! Gameplay, etc is very much like WoW. And truly...I don't care. If you can't come up with a better system, and obviously no one can, as WoW's combat isn't unique to it either. (Yes people liken things to WoW without comparing what they copied) But I could care less if combat isn't revolutionized if the game is fun to play. And so far, it is. Don't get me wrong, I have my share of complaints, mostly due to imbalance of characters, server lag, a few glitches, and other few things they have to fine toon. But most MMOs launch with their share of problems. I was expecting this. The life-span of this game will be determined by how they smooth these out. My least liked thing will probably not be fixed, that of so many loading screen between areas, such as the elevators on ships, where I'd like to not feel a disconnect when switching to my ship. But this is actually where I give it a 9. I expected the other stuff. It's hard to launch a MMO without them, as you can test all day, but there's no way to be sure how things will work when you have millions playing at once. And until they do, the story should keep us interested. Expand
  88. Jan 7, 2012
    This game in no way shape or form deserves ANYTHING below a 5, such scores should be reserved for truly abysmal games. I would give this a 8 or 9 out of 10, but I feel the need to counteract the trolls. First of all, this is an amazing star wars game I would recommend to any fan of the movies. Second, the storytelling, notable bioware conversation system, and the voice acting are allThis game in no way shape or form deserves ANYTHING below a 5, such scores should be reserved for truly abysmal games. I would give this a 8 or 9 out of 10, but I feel the need to counteract the trolls. First of all, this is an amazing star wars game I would recommend to any fan of the movies. Second, the storytelling, notable bioware conversation system, and the voice acting are all outstanding. Unlike any MMO I've played before it, I actually care about the story. The main story arc for each class is very enjoyable and even the side quest stories can be interesting. I cannot understand the hate. Expand
  89. Dec 22, 2011
    Haters gonna hate. This is great game. it plays the familiar territory with adding in enough new to keep your interest. Already level capped with 1 toon, working on another. The ones who complain about it being non-social, probably didn't have a guild or work with others, because it constantly is encouraging group activities, also there are world bosses and plenty of instances through outHaters gonna hate. This is great game. it plays the familiar territory with adding in enough new to keep your interest. Already level capped with 1 toon, working on another. The ones who complain about it being non-social, probably didn't have a guild or work with others, because it constantly is encouraging group activities, also there are world bosses and plenty of instances through out leveling. The big thing here thati loved, is there is a story. When I'm not running with guildies and I'm playing the game, i'm actually playing a game, not a random grindfest. The game works to give you the feeling that you are always working towards a greater goal, especially in the class specific quest lines. I love how I've actually read some people saying this is like a free to play grindfest. It is NOTHING like those games. Every game is going to have its 'I hate the game cause it's not what I play' style haters.

If you like MMO's, you like RPG's, you like your choices effecting things, great gameplay. This is a great place to be.
  90. Dec 23, 2011
    This is the first MMO that I've actually played for an extended amount of time, and I have to say I'm pretty amazed with it. There is such a vast universe that Bioware has created. And when you're done exploring this universe, there is a grossly enriching story to get involved in. There are plenty of quests that you can do as a group with other players. There are also quests you can doThis is the first MMO that I've actually played for an extended amount of time, and I have to say I'm pretty amazed with it. There is such a vast universe that Bioware has created. And when you're done exploring this universe, there is a grossly enriching story to get involved in. There are plenty of quests that you can do as a group with other players. There are also quests you can do by yourself so I think there is a great balance. Good job Bioware! Expand
  91. Dec 26, 2011
    If you're reading this review your probably scrolling down the list and marking every review you dislike as not helpful, and regardless I'm still going to give this game a positive review so if you feel the need to be a douchebag than go for it. To everybody else, the first thing you need to understand about the negative user reviews is that they are either from those who were in the beta,If you're reading this review your probably scrolling down the list and marking every review you dislike as not helpful, and regardless I'm still going to give this game a positive review so if you feel the need to be a douchebag than go for it. To everybody else, the first thing you need to understand about the negative user reviews is that they are either from those who were in the beta, or those who are fanboys of other MMO's. The complaints about lag, glitches, ugly graphics, crappy textures and a bad UI are from idiots with terrible computers, and while they probably claim otherwise it simply cannot be true because SWTOR meets none of those complaints. This game is one of the best looking MMO's on the market, along with one of the smoothest and has had very little glitches compared to other MMO launches. The optimization could be better, however if you're going to play this game on low settings then don't bother with it as you'll probably end up bashing the visuals like every other retard. When maxed this game is one of the better looking MMO's, it feels high quality from the moment you create your character. There are 8 different classes, 16 in total if you count the specializations and 32 if you count the talent tree's, in other words this game has a lot of character customization options. Throw in a bunch of races and character creation options and you have yourself a very good amount of options to roll with. Whether you like charging into battle head first, or sitting in the back healing, or even using stealth to pick and choose your enemies, this game has something for everybody's play style. In other reviews you've probably heard about the story, and while I personally find it to be very good, I haven't experienced all the story options to really judge the game on that one element, however what I can tell you is that the combat is very fluid, the game has, for the most part great voice acting and there is literally 200+ hours of content per character play-through, this is an MMO though so there's always going to be something for you to do upon reaching level cap. Overall SWTOR is a very good game, and to the people saying "zones are instanced, each server is not one world" and all that BS, why don't you guys actually play the game first before spewing BS? Zones are packed, large with tons of players, the game feels far from dead. In short to the skeptics, don't let the negative user reviews throw you off, actually go buy this game because even if you dislike the monthly fee, in one month you'll spend more time playing this game than any other game outside of maybe Skyrim. Expand
  92. Jul 2, 2013
    Routinely underrated, one of the best F2P games, and one of the best Subscription Games on the market today. Awesome story telling, amazing presentation and a game that will grab you. Any score under 7 should be ignored. This one is a 9.5 game.
  93. Dec 21, 2011
    I've played many MMO's, like WoW, EQ2, Rift, SWG, and many others as well as Bioware's earlier games like KOTOR, DA and ME. One thing I've found in the MMO world is there's no innovation, it's always just more of the same. And that stagnation not only makes games your playing get boring faster, but makes new games in that genre just seem like more of the same.

Bioware has broken from the

Bioware has broken from the redundant norm, and has made something brilliant. They've made a MMO with incredible immersion, depth and the richest story lines of any game I've ever played. It's different & all gamers know trolls can't handle change. For some reason anything different then the same old daily grind creates such a case of nerd rage in trolls their emotions literally explode all over the internet's related forums, like many posts we have seen here.

If it's to different for you, don't play it. But don't make crap up and lie just to try and make other people hate what your incapable of understanding by creating dozens of accounts to spam your bile so you can pretend others think like you. Just have your say, and move on.
  94. Aug 25, 2013
    Game is awesome for people interested in an actual story where you have actual interaction with NPCs instead of just blankly accepting quests without even reading. One of the best MMORPG I've played.
  95. Jan 4, 2012
    The best mmo ever and trust me i have tried out maaaany mmo:s. None of the other mmo:s felt in anyway like personal stories and i never gived a f*ck about the storylines in quests because i didnt bother to read them (yes im lazy) but in sw:tor all that is (imo) solved. Its exactly what i always wanted, a mix of SPRPG and MMORPG. So in my opinion its perfect. Imo most of the low scores areThe best mmo ever and trust me i have tried out maaaany mmo:s. None of the other mmo:s felt in anyway like personal stories and i never gived a f*ck about the storylines in quests because i didnt bother to read them (yes im lazy) but in sw:tor all that is (imo) solved. Its exactly what i always wanted, a mix of SPRPG and MMORPG. So in my opinion its perfect. Imo most of the low scores are given by people who are wow fans and just dismiss everything else as garbage Expand
  96. Apr 19, 2012
    This was my 1st MMORPG, the main reason I got this game because it had Bioware stamp on it and let me tell you: this game is awesome! Great storyline, feels this playing a regular role playing game but now online. There is just so much to do, not including level grinding, so much quest and the people are fairly nice and helpful. Bioware really out did themselves and set a new high forThis was my 1st MMORPG, the main reason I got this game because it had Bioware stamp on it and let me tell you: this game is awesome! Great storyline, feels this playing a regular role playing game but now online. There is just so much to do, not including level grinding, so much quest and the people are fairly nice and helpful. Bioware really out did themselves and set a new high for everyone else. Sure there is $15 monthly payment but its normal, this game is totally a full price game! Expand
  97. Dec 20, 2011
    The title is surprisingly good. It has a weird hybrid between single player RPG and MMO but it is not a bad thing. Recommend trying, but it's not my money so use at your own risk.
  98. Feb 7, 2012
    This game is great. The end. It manages to make you care about your character and actually think about how your character would respond to the situations. In the 3 class stories that I have played 1 has been good and 2 have been down right excellent. Not everything is perfect but it has just launched and it has launched in a better state then most MMOs have. The worlds do feel a littleThis game is great. The end. It manages to make you care about your character and actually think about how your character would respond to the situations. In the 3 class stories that I have played 1 has been good and 2 have been down right excellent. Not everything is perfect but it has just launched and it has launched in a better state then most MMOs have. The worlds do feel a little empty sometimes thanks to the instancing of popular areas but this also means their is virtually no spawn camping and you can complete your quest without competition. There are A LOT of whiners playing this game though, and that can be very irritating. People seem to be angry with Bioware anytime the tiniest thing isn't exactly like they want it. Bioware has done a good job of addressing issues with the game and it keeps getting better. Server Queues? Gone. Unfair world PvP? Fixed. Unbalanced classes in PvP (common you baby what game doesn't have some of this?) Learn to play your class. If I can do well in PvP and a pve specd Powertech, and you are having problems you're doing something wrong. If you are looking for a fully realized game go make a panda in WoW. If you want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes stick with SWTOR. Expand
  99. Dec 27, 2011
    I love it. Awesome story line, Fun game play. Great Audio. I feel this game advances the mmorpg genre and sets the new standard. I am interested to see what new content is added in the next few months.
  100. Dec 21, 2011
    I haven't seen end-game yet but from what I have played I'm in love. I have plenty of experience in MMO's as a Disabled Vet I have spent the better part of everyday of the last ten years in one universe or another online. You find any revolutionary gameplay but you also don't see cheap and broken gimmicks unproven in the world of MMO's which can be fun but as with Rift and Warhammer theyI haven't seen end-game yet but from what I have played I'm in love. I have plenty of experience in MMO's as a Disabled Vet I have spent the better part of everyday of the last ten years in one universe or another online. You find any revolutionary gameplay but you also don't see cheap and broken gimmicks unproven in the world of MMO's which can be fun but as with Rift and Warhammer they tend to fall on their face before long. TOR is the first of a huge list of MMO's in which I am looking forward to not just playing every class on both factions but every mastery of every class of both factions. If you enjoy MMO's but are tired of clicking through quest details and randomly running off looking for the highlighted or bullet portions of the objective with no motivation or information what so ever about the reason for your task than TOR will wake you up. Interesting stories unfold with each character that evolve through your leveling with a Mass Effect style dialogue system and excellent narrative performed with spectacular voice acting. Within each faction you still have the option to be "bad" or "good" with dark/light side points that offer unique rewards and character options through your story. Not only is there a story but there is a Universe. Each area dominated leads you off to a new planet and you travel in your own starship with your own entourage who level with you and who's gear customization identical to your own which you can buy, craft or earn through mission rewards. They actually handle all of your crafting and gathering skills should you want to forgo the plethora of nodes you pass on your travels. There are space battles that are a ton of fun and reminiscent of Black Prophecy on rails with rewards in XP for your character and ship upgrades as your ship, like your own gear and that of your followers is just as varied. A Universe opens up right in front of you begging to be explored and each planet offers new landscapes and enemies with large base complexes and hidden artifacts that add attributes to your characters. Along the way or from a central space station all the basics are found; bank, crafting instructors, skill trainers, vendors, quest stations and PvP mission stations. There are also instanced mission areas for groups of 4 all over the place that are heavily scripted stories where everyone participates in the conversations. They are miniature movies played with friends that offer high quality rewards, what else on earth could I possibly ask for now? Nothing, for my appetite is sated at least for a few years to come. There are problems and areas that could use improvement for a jumping off point this MMO has more to offer on day one than many that have been in play for years. Think of what could come from this template which already has so much to offer and you truly begin to see what an awesome MMO we have with TOR. Naysayers beware, the future only holds more for TOR. Expand

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.