Starseed Pilgrim PC

• Publisher: Droqen
  • Release Date: Apr 16, 2013
6.1

1. May 30, 2013
    I'm puzzled by the high praise for this game and writing this review I find it hard to find a positive highlight. Clearly I'm in the minority here as others seem to see a very different game before them. Some say the lack of a tutorial and clear goal are one of it's strong points. I on the other hand like the idea of 'finding things out for myself' but there has to be in a game as vagueI'm puzzled by the high praise for this game and writing this review I find it hard to find a positive highlight. Clearly I'm in the minority here as others seem to see a very different game before them. Some say the lack of a tutorial and clear goal are one of it's strong points. I on the other hand like the idea of 'finding things out for myself' but there has to be in a game as vague as this some basic game play pointers to get the juices flowing. I will go back to Starseed in the future as the concept is an interesting one. Expand
  2. Apr 18, 2013
    The game explains very little and lets you discover its mechanics, which are very well thought out and require a great deal of thinking. This is a very difficult game, every action you take have intricate consequences.
  3. May 4, 2015
    Metacritic critic reviews give this an 83. I don't understand that. I didn't put a ton of time into this game, but I quickly lost interest trying to learn what was going on, and didn't understand what I was trying to do despite quite a bit of trial and error. Some people like games that are ambiguous and frustrating - making you feel like if you suffer through the start of the game forMetacritic critic reviews give this an 83. I don't understand that. I didn't put a ton of time into this game, but I quickly lost interest trying to learn what was going on, and didn't understand what I was trying to do despite quite a bit of trial and error. Some people like games that are ambiguous and frustrating - making you feel like if you suffer through the start of the game for long enough you might eventually be rewarded with some understanding. If so, this game may be for you. My backlog has too many other options. Expand
  4. May 14, 2013
    This game came very highly recommended so I was sad to walk away with mixed feelings. My first couple of hours with the game were incredibly satisfying as I tried and succeeded to understand the bizarre mechanics. Learning how to play was the fun of the experience and it was satisfying when you finally make real progress. However once you run out of things to discover it becomes anThis game came very highly recommended so I was sad to walk away with mixed feelings. My first couple of hours with the game were incredibly satisfying as I tried and succeeded to understand the bizarre mechanics. Learning how to play was the fun of the experience and it was satisfying when you finally make real progress. However once you run out of things to discover it becomes an increasingly difficult and repetitive to progress. I imagine a lot of people will relish the challenge at this point, for me it's where I lost interest. The first few hours were great though. Expand
  5. Apr 26, 2013
    I could not make heads or tails of this game. The lack of direction, the confusing mechanics, make this a very hard game to get into. Maybe this appeals to some people, but not me. I probably could have enjoyed it more if I wasn't dying over and over and restarting from the beginning each time...
  6. May 4, 2013
    A friend told me to try this game. "Don't google it, just play it." Well, I did, and if you have a lot of time to waste figuring out what the goal of this game is (after ~5 hours I haven't) then maybe it's worth a try. I can't recommend it to anyone who has a life.
  7. Apr 18, 2013
    Maybe I went into this with too high expectations having read the hype around it, but this game was a real disappointment. Designing for the joy of discovery is a very strong goal and I don't fault the game for that, but what I do fault the game for is intentionally obscuring itself.

If there is one thing I want a game to do, it is to respect my time. That doesn't mean I don't want to get lost, and I don't want any hand holding, and it doesn't even have to be fun, but I also don't want a game that intentionally seems to be wasting my time. The game asks a lot, doesn't really give you much back; a deal that doesn't have much upside for the player.
  8. Apr 20, 2013
    This is the best game that I have played about discovery. I can't say anything else without spoiling the game.

There is a magnificent synchrony between the music, the gameplay and the art. They all fit together quite well.

While you have doubt, keep going! It's rewarding.
  9. Sep 6, 2013
    You have to be kidding me... is this what the PC gaming world is coming to. The consoles are already beating us. This game is crap. Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Assassins Creed, Grand Theft Auto, these are games. This garbage looks like the Atari 2600 crap I played when I was 8 give these fools Atari Combat and they would say it was revolutionary, hell lets get the pong out of theYou have to be kidding me... is this what the PC gaming world is coming to. The consoles are already beating us. This game is crap. Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Assassins Creed, Grand Theft Auto, these are games. This garbage looks like the Atari 2600 crap I played when I was 8 give these fools Atari Combat and they would say it was revolutionary, hell lets get the pong out of the basement. Indie games suck!!!! Retro games waste the technology we have. Its like eating a steak and then pulling out potted meat and swearing it is the greatest thing you have ever tasted. I just don't get these crappy, juvenile, blast from the past games and all the praise for them. Mindless games like BIoshock will be the end of PC Games even though it is a 100 on a scale of 1 to 10 compared to this rot which is not saying much. People bragging on Bioshock make me sick... is this what we have come too. We are capable of sooo much more now days. I don't understand this move to old looking garbage games with graphics that a 5 year old could have produced. Send this back to Intellivision where it belongs. These people giving this game good review must have an IQ of 10 and be dropping acid. I say again when we are capable of producing a game like Skyrim or GTA, who would possible be entertained by this that is not completely brain dead??? Expand
  10. Jul 12, 2013
    The game feels like it was written in Flash. The atmospheric music is way too loud and there are no volume controls. The gameplay isn't really fun, and the puzzles I've seen are obscure rather than clever. The only positive thing I can think of about the game is that it was cheap, although I would've passed on it had the reviews better prepared me for what to expect.
  11. Jun 19, 2016
    People say "You need to experience this game for yourself." They behave in an obtuse manner, as if there is some grand secret there, something that is wonderous that is just hidden away.

They're lying. There isn't anything here. The game is garbage. You plant seeds. They grow. There are some mechanics related to them - the pink seeds can be harvested for more seeds. The bush sprouts

They're lying. There isn't anything here.

The game is garbage. You plant seeds. They grow. There are some mechanics related to them - the pink seeds can be harvested for more seeds. The bush sprouts heart flowers which can be collected when you go into the void. The orange block's growth is dependent on whether it has space to grow horizontally. The red one explodes outwards in blocks and will throw you into the void if you stand too close.

Your goal is to get to the void star blocks - not the one on the bottom, but ones which are off isolated on far edges of the screen. These turn into keys when you step into them, but unless you have brought your blocks up adjacent to it, you'll have no way out.

Once you grab your key, you can go back to the start and go back into the main world, where you can plant seeds and grow to reach other areas with bits of esoteric poetry hanging in the sky.

There's a hidden block with three little stars in it which spawns a three keyhole exit. Bringing three keys to it will let you unlock some secret levels which can then be navigated to completion.

There are a number of levels in the game, and they all LOOK the same, but are functionally slightly different. The void doesn't absorb you in some. You can't destroy blocks in others. The list goes on.

The way they describe it, it seems like an unlocking, unfolding type game, but it isn't. It is just the very basic growing mechanics which the game is obtuse about. That's the limit of the discoveries in the game.

It is boring. And it is a waste of time.
  12. Jul 13, 2015
    Another IGF masterpiece. Where games are designed on drugs, for people who find lack of mechanics enjoyable, and crappy music worth listening to. The equivalent of a piece of dump, left over a fridge, on a contemporary art museum.
  13. Nov 14, 2013
    This game causes you to think. It's not my normal cup of tea, but I believe it's really well made. If you like a creative intellectual challenge than you'll likely enjoy this game.
  14. Jan 30, 2016
    -What is this game ?!
    -"Keep on as long as you have questions."
    -What the f*** do I need to do ?! -"Keep on as long as you have questions." -What is this thing ?! -"Keep on as long as you have questions." This game let you discover everything about it. Its mechanics, its story.. everything. You will be lost. You will search. Maybe you will succeed.. and you will understand
    -What is this game ?!
    -"Keep on as long as you have questions."

-What the f*** do I need to do ?!

-What is this thing ?!

You will be lost.
    You will search.
    Maybe you will succeed.. and you will understand what's the beauty of this game.

1. PC Gamer
    Jul 19, 2013
    Starseed Pilgrim is composed of interesting elements and neat twists, but suffers from the assumption that you can encourage exploration simply by refusing to tell the player what to do. [Aug 2013, p.73]
  2. CD-Action
    Jul 2, 2013
    The Internet hype around Starseed Pilgrim is surprisingly only a bit exaggerated. [CD-Action 08/2013, p.85]
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Jun 4, 2013
    Like an oboe, this game gets ruined in the playing. Well, a bit. [June 2013, p.94]