6.9

1. Oct 31, 2013
    Probably the best zombie survival game out there. It has almost everything right, and for a zombie fan, it is definitely 10/10. It's a mix of GTA, action rpg and house building/management. Exactly what was missing in the genre (of the zombies I mean)! To the date of the 1st November it works flawlessly with keyboard and mouse too.
  2. Jul 10, 2014
    State of Decays is an open world third person zombie survival game. You and a friend are coming home from a fishing trip and while you've been sipping beers and gutting fish, the dead started walking and society collapsed.

The game has a well-designed form of permadeath. If the character you play get killed, you'll get to take over as one of the other members of the group. You will actually need to play different characters, as they get tired or hurt from time to time and will need a break from the constant zombie killing.

The story is fine but not too engaging, but I find the base building and general survival very addictive. There are more survivor communities out there that you can interact with and might convince to join you, vehicles to run through hordes of zombies and special zombies that you need to keep an eye out for. Building outposts is a key part of turning a zombie infested area into a nice suburban neighborhood. I think these action games with strategic elements are too few and far between.

The game is a console port, but a rather elegant execution. It plays with mouse and keyboard well, though the character facing might be a bit difficult to get used to for regular PC gamers like myself. Also the inventory menu doesn't take kindly to the scroll wheel, but except from that there are no problems with the UI/controls - more like tell-tale signs of a past on a console.

Combat is fun - easy to learn and difficult to master. I find a certain enjoyment in the many ways you can crush the skulls of the zombies, and how good you and your character can become at fighting. Well timed dodges, rolls, drop kicks and various other moves are important for your survival.

Characters gain xp in different categories, depending on what you do with them. A guy running a lot will get great cardio while one who fires a gun will become great at shooting. There is weapon specializations and personal skills that only a few survivors have (better keep that mechanic alive if you want cars fixed) and character building manages to offer you a few interesting choices without overloading you with options and information.

The basic game rather short but very enjoyable, and there is much more replay value in the Breakdown DLC. If you like bashing in skulls, survival scenarios, zombies or is just a fan of post-apocalypse I think you'll enjoy this.
  3. Oct 27, 2013
    This is easily my favorite zombie game for pc. It's like a more polished version of dayz with more features and less glitches. Other people seem to be running this game fine on 4+ year old computers. However, I got my pc about a year ago and this game runs very badly. It is not a gaming computer but it isn't some piece of crap and I can run most games fine. I still play this game alotThis is easily my favorite zombie game for pc. It's like a more polished version of dayz with more features and less glitches. Other people seem to be running this game fine on 4+ year old computers. However, I got my pc about a year ago and this game runs very badly. It is not a gaming computer but it isn't some piece of crap and I can run most games fine. I still play this game alot though! Coming from playing minecraft on a cruddy netbook, i'm used to low frame rates and can handle the lag. Expand
  4. Nov 7, 2013
    Wow. Zeros awarded during alpha testing? Really? Please come back and update your scores now that there is full mouse control.

I am not an RPG fan. I am a zombie fan. I am bored by games with lots of silly missions like Dead Rising 2 (not bad, just, not compelling). I have been spellbound by this game, because, possibly for the first time, a game has convinced me of a need to run missions. I want my characters to survive. I want to improve their surroundings. The factors that affect house morale are real: injury, sleep deprivation, hunger, energy. Earning influence is a great currency, though frustrating when you can't get someone to accompany you on a mission.

Only in the second town, but completely loving it.
  5. Jun 29, 2014
    Quite literally the best zombie game ever created. It's what every other zombie game aspires to be but fails. The combat is amazing, the looting system is amazing, the stealth is amazing, the levelling system is amazing, everything is amazing.
  6. Jul 4, 2014
    An extremely enjoyable zombie survival game. While it has a few minor quirks and bugs the overall game play is highly enjoyable and combat fun. When compared to the hugely popular survival zombie games like DayZ which lack real polish this game is a very well done addition to the genre with a great single player mode.

Well worth a look.
  7. Oct 10, 2014
    State of decay is a balancing act. If you take each separate part of the game and hold them up for close scrutiny you will find them in no way remarkable. Just take the story line for example. It is short and offers no surprises. You start the game with two survivors in Trumbull valley which is undergoing the zombie apocalypse and you have to survive until you can escape the valley. TheState of decay is a balancing act. If you take each separate part of the game and hold them up for close scrutiny you will find them in no way remarkable. Just take the story line for example. It is short and offers no surprises. You start the game with two survivors in Trumbull valley which is undergoing the zombie apocalypse and you have to survive until you can escape the valley. The story runs in a straight line. You escape the first few zombies, find shelter in a ranger station, do some missions, get one additional survivor(story scripted), move to a church, do some more missions while recruiting more survivors until you can move to the next base.. and then you make a final move to one of the two biggest bases once you have gathered enough survivors and resources. Experienced players would probably skip the movements in between and just move from the church to the biggest base of their choice.

There are a few background stories. One is the military one, which tells you a bit about the role of the military, one is the local government one, which tells you a few things about how the local government and police force react and there is the hillbilly story line, which gives you a small story about how a group of dubious 'rednecks' respond to the crisis. The story line allows you to make a few choices, but non of these open up different story lines or change the outcome in a remarkable way.

The other parts, like the combat system, the resource gathering system and the base management system are neither unique nor remarkable. It has been done before, seen before and often done better in games like the Walking Dead(a far better story line). Left 4 Dead(better combat system), Dead Island (better combat, crafting and character builds) and so on.

The strength of State of Decay lies in two things. 1 that there is no comparable game out at the moment(those that seem promising are still in beta). 2 that it offers just enough of everything to make it better than you would expect. In other words the total is better than the sum of the parts.

But barely so.

State of Decay there basically fills a gap and flourishes because there is no competition.. There aren't that many games out yet that allow you to manage a group of survivors in a sandbox game with resource gathering, crafting and base management. Note that I said: not yet, as there are competitors in the make. 7 days to die and Dead State are examples that spring to mind.

The makers of the game have said that there will be no sequel, but that there will be an online version of State of Decay. They will be facing a few strong competitors. Day Z for instance and the Dead Linger are examples. There are many more online games in the make that have zombies as an important ingredient and it will probably be though to make a profit with so many MMOs out already.

If you don't like online games, like me, but like to play an acceptable game, than State of Decay might keep you entertained. Don't expect too much from it.
  8. Nov 4, 2013
    at 20$ it's totally worth it. I just hope they keep patching it as it does need some light work stomping out a few bugs that are still persisting and really shouldn't be left unresolved. I love the open world sandbox with random generated survivors, missions and loot. The upcoming expansion looks pretty sweet, with a difficulty mode that gets harder the more times you beat it I think.at 20$ it's totally worth it. I just hope they keep patching it as it does need some light work stomping out a few bugs that are still persisting and really shouldn't be left unresolved. I love the open world sandbox with random generated survivors, missions and loot. The upcoming expansion looks pretty sweet, with a difficulty mode that gets harder the more times you beat it I think. More zombies that hit harder less cars and they're more fragile, less loot. All sounds great to me. Expand
  9. Oct 5, 2013
    I'm not sure what people with problems are trying to run this on, but I have a 4 year old, middle of the road computer, with a mid-low range graphics card, and I got this on 1080p fine. Everything is silky save for the driving every now and again.

The AI works well enough. Game mechanics like melee and driving work very well. It is easy to tell when you have killed a zombie. Your characters gain skill in various things, and you can tell they are better than they were before. The menus can be navigated on the fly once you're used to them, I've seen much clunkier. There are a few minor glitches, but with the nature of the large sandbox game and coming from a smaller studio, this is to be expected. If you want to see glitches, I could name you a few big budget games most everyone loves to death that are far glitchier than this title.

Best zombie rpg sim I have played so far, possibly best out there at this time.
  10. Nov 26, 2013
    I was VERY surprised by State Of Decay. It came out of nowhere and seemed like it was destined to be another bad rushed to PC console port. Was I ever wrong. While the graphics aren't amazing and it is definitely a rushed to PC console port (it went from Alpha to full release in about a week as soon as they figured out how to add keyboard support), there is something amazing in the game.I was VERY surprised by State Of Decay. It came out of nowhere and seemed like it was destined to be another bad rushed to PC console port. Was I ever wrong. While the graphics aren't amazing and it is definitely a rushed to PC console port (it went from Alpha to full release in about a week as soon as they figured out how to add keyboard support), there is something amazing in the game.

The style of game play and the interactions are awesome. It has all the best features of any modern zombie survival game but also has the great story line similar to The Walking Dead. The homebase feature and exploration give you a sense of almost playing a tower defense slash crafting game. it is just pure fun.
  11. Jan 7, 2014
    A buggy but incredible fun zombie survival game that got the survival aspect right. If you die you are dead, there is no magic reviving. Gather supplies and build up your group of survivors, trade with other groups and fight against hordes of zombies and keep your group happy. you will get loads of hours out of the game but keep in mind that it is a port, and quite glitchy. But in the end,A buggy but incredible fun zombie survival game that got the survival aspect right. If you die you are dead, there is no magic reviving. Gather supplies and build up your group of survivors, trade with other groups and fight against hordes of zombies and keep your group happy. you will get loads of hours out of the game but keep in mind that it is a port, and quite glitchy. But in the end, they aren't too annoying and can be overlooked. A must have! Expand
  12. Oct 1, 2013
    The sense of urgency and fear of character perma-death makes this open world zombie survival game stand out. The graphics are much better than the x360 version, but I noticed some texture pop-in and a little lag when driving at high speeds, but overall it's in great condition for being early-access. I highly recommend!

For those of you who are giving it a zero for requiring a

For those of you who are giving it a zero for requiring a controller, please consider it's in "early access" and it's not a final product. The steam store page for SOD says it's currently controller play only, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
  13. Nov 22, 2013
    The final version of the game for pc. People pay no attention to these low ratings considering they obviously didn't give the game a fair shot. At first I wasn't impressed either, but after about an hour of playing its gets very interesting. A sandbox, resource collecting true survival game. Building fortifications, building outposts to re supply, creating supply chains with otherThe final version of the game for pc. People pay no attention to these low ratings considering they obviously didn't give the game a fair shot. At first I wasn't impressed either, but after about an hour of playing its gets very interesting. A sandbox, resource collecting true survival game. Building fortifications, building outposts to re supply, creating supply chains with other survivors, being able to play with several different characters, switching back and forth as needed depending on the characters traits and abilities, not to mention leveling them up. But keep in mind its not your typical run and bash zombie game, you have to use stealth and be creative to succeed looting houses and structures without alerting nearby zombies or hordes. They really gave the players a lot of tools to work with, this is the first game in years that had me hooked after the first hour of play..normally I lose interest quickly but this game captured me for hours and hours the first time I played it. I can't get enough of it. I like the perma death for your characters, makes a better story and more immersion..takes quite a bit of bad luck for a character to die..if your going in rambo style you will not succeed. Prob easily the best zombie sandbox game I have ever played. I'm looking forward to whats next and I will definitely be following this company from now on.

The games graphics are good about like GTA IV, most players rely on graphics I do not...I want brains over beauty and that is what this games offers. It doesn't make you rush into anything and you can stray about but it also gives you that sense of urgency as well. I noticed a lot of people complaining about the controls, they seem fine to me but I am also playing the final version. I contributed to the early access but didn't play it..I waited for the final version and it was well worth it. I also noticed a small modding community taking interest in this game and that should add to it even more.

Overall the "0" scores for some reviews just isn't fair, I'm guessing those players spent less than 20-30 mins playing the game..in fact I'm almost positive about that because the start of the game does suck...but totally redeems itself after about an hour of play once players understand what is going on here. They are definitely selling themselves short. I'm a picky bastard when it comes to games...this one folks is worth every penny if you love zombie sandbox survival games.
  14. Dec 27, 2013
    The Xbox port to PC isn't without its hiccups in its early access stage. Some glitches are frustrating, but most are easy to ignore. I'm giving the game an 8. If not for a couple of immersion-breaking mechanics (I'm excluding bugs and glitches), it would be an easy 10. It's by far a great value for the price. But aside from that, it's fun and addictive, although it definitely not a gameThe Xbox port to PC isn't without its hiccups in its early access stage. Some glitches are frustrating, but most are easy to ignore. I'm giving the game an 8. If not for a couple of immersion-breaking mechanics (I'm excluding bugs and glitches), it would be an easy 10. It's by far a great value for the price. But aside from that, it's fun and addictive, although it definitely not a game designed to please everyone.

As for glitches, the worse glitch is the frame rate drop, but for me that only hits at certain locations on the map. When this happens, the camera view spins out of control if and only if I'm moving the camera with the mouse. If you turn a vehicle with the WASD keys, the camera will follow the trajectory of the vehicle, and the camera view will not spin out of control. When I drive through them, I just take my hand off the mouse, and it's not a big problem.

I will say that a few mechanics need to be reconsidered. Having a companion NPC abandon you because you get too close to a mission point is ridiculous. I had a companion turn to run to the home base only to run right into a horde. I had to ruin a vehicle just to rescue her. Then she gets up and keeps running to the home base, but toward more groups of zeds. Developers, reconsider please. It's a terrible idea, just because you want the player to solo the missions. Let the companion stay and help with the mission. It's not that big of a deal. And when I rescue an ally, let them follow me, and not turn and run back to the main base, again running through hordes and such. It's just not logical, especially in a sandbox game that tries to add some realism.

The perma-death and selective auto-save feature I actually think is a good addition and a definite keeper. Don't change, please, even if some folks fuss. I lost two characters being careless, and it forced me to be more cautious and strategize better, and my game experience improved. Other games have you adopt a single character, and that character plays to the end, forcing you to replay scenarios or reload a previous save. In this game, you get a slew of characters at risk for perma-death and no second chances. Kudos to the one(s) who thought up that idea. It brings a sense of urgency and threat to the survival experience.

Quality-wise, the graphical glitches do diminish the experience slightly. Having a zed grab my character through a door or plane glass window without opening the door or breaking the glass is definitely frustrating, especially at critical moments. Plus, having zeds teleport out of nowhere (i.e., spawn in front of me) breaks immersion. Lower the spawn rate and add more spawn nodes at tree lines or behind buildings to avoid the teleport effect. It's frustrating to clear a field, pick up a rucksack, turn around and see 10 zeds bearing down on me. Might as well add the lights and sounds of Star Trek to complete the effect. If they run at me from a point out of view, that's fine.

In conclusion, the game is fun and addictive, and is worth the price of purchase. If you run the main mission non-stop, you might finish quickly, but if you take the time to do side tasks and explore the map, the game is limitless. If a glitch or two is just unacceptable and totally ruins your gaming experience, then you'll be apt to turn it off forever and give it a zero rating. And we'll know you're not a fan of Bethesda games as well.
  15. Nov 6, 2013
    This a very very good game, not prefect but alot of fun, I spent 60 hours playing this game and still going. For 18€ this is epic value for money.
    Its a beta, you pay 18€ now and get the finished article but as of the 6/11/13 the game is more or less ported from xbox to PC with all the pc controls now added.
    This is a 9/10 game and for the money you can not go wrong, if you like the idea of you and freinds against the world of zombies with mystery then this is for you.
  16. Oct 7, 2013
    Considering the game is currently available only as an Early Access title, before PC porting is actually done (it doesn't yet even support mouse & keyboard as yet, as that will be available at release), I'm fairly impressed as to how fun State of Decay is.

Most zombie games seem to insist on being bleak depressing adventure games, shooters or hard-core rogue-likes; State of Decay nails a pleasant middle ground where you don't feel overwhelmed all the time, whilst blending survival with RPG with a smattering of story. Whilst it's certainly got its fair share of bugs, none of them seem particularly game-breaking, though I of course hope that Undead Labs will continue to address these now that they're not paying a fortune for patching. The graphics are reasonable, though in need of some optimisation with some nasty stutter in places even on high-end machines (it becomes predictable enough that you just learn to slow down fast cars at particular points on the map!).

What sets the game apart is the surprisingly engaging world of building a base & community out of survivors of the Class 3 disaster. The generated missions themselves are relatively simplistic, and yet the emergent effects of different resources, weapons, character skills, character emotions & well-being (such as being too injured or tired), and randomised zombie hordes means that no quick wander into the wasteland is the same twice. The game simulation continues running whilst you've closed the game, simulating up to two days of absence in which the game world can change, with some brakes in place to avoid things like returning a day later to all your survivors dead. Your survivors can run off and get themselves into trouble whilst you're out, lending a refreshing air of genuine lack of control over the game world & that these other people have their own ideas about how to survive. Add in a sprinkling of developing story, season with a levelling system that encourages you to build out multiple characters in your settlement & gain their trust to make them playable (along with perma-death so you'd best look after your characters or have a few spares handy), and you've got a recipe for 'just one more mission' late into the night. If you have an immersive simulation bone in your body, I think that like me, you'll find it surprisingly hard to put down, flaws and all.

With proper resolution controls, some graphical optimisations, bug-fixes, and of course, the necessary UI work for mouse & keyboard, State of Decay will be well worth a look at PC release.
  17. Oct 8, 2013
    This is an excellent game for being bound to the confines of 2GB on XBLA. The PC port is being implemented and optimization that is much needed is coming. I will say that if you do not like to:

1. Manage resources 2. Play as a community and not as an individual 3. Be careful when to engage, who to send for what 4. Pay attention to morale and deal with relationships Then you will

1. Manage resources
    2. Play as a community and not as an individual
    3. Be careful when to engage, who to send for what
    4. Pay attention to morale and deal with relationships

Then you will NOT like this game as its more about those things than it is about combat.

The driving is decent, the combat is fun, shooting is a bit funky but serviceable (its loud and loud is BAD), graphics are decent and the voice acting is well done with a good storyline. Also your choices have real impact. Additionally its a living, breathing persistent world that will continue on without you, so if you log off and are away for a while you will see that either things got a bit better or could have gotten a LOT worse.

The game is large and you could blaze through the story in probably 10 to 12 hours or take your time like I am and I am maybe 1/2 way through with 17 hours logged in.

I am anxiously awaiting the future Class 4 game which is said to be coop or MMO version with the same game mechanics, which are well done and very fun to work with.
  18. May 25, 2014
    GTA zombies, not the best port but definitely working as it should. Had a lot of fun and many hours clocked, pretty good single player experience. is it perfect? far from it, but this game definitely shines in many areas that it is worth a buy if you are a fan of the genre, if not, then it is worth a buy during steam sale.

There are little narratives and most of the story should be your

There are little narratives and most of the story should be your own, life individual survivor stories and the stories you make during your own explorations.

It is not a scary game like most modern zombie games, but occasional jumps might happen for your.

The best parts I liked:
    Perma-death, you really do have some attachment to some characters, mostly through you levelling up them, gearing them up and reading their profiles and have a back story you created in your mind (if you are an imaginary person), and when one misstep can get you killed it is very interesting.

The hordes, the way they run at you, swarming over walls, is really good to watch.

Looting- always fun

The points I didn't like-
    The graphics sometimes make me dizzy, not the best optimisation.
    Port problems - the controls are sometimes not straight forward, like choosing a specialisation.
    Small -map, the map is a bit too small and not enough variety,
    Survivor groups could use better AI and more interactions than just having a locker.
  19. Jul 23, 2014
    A tremendous game, it's basically GTA with zombies. But unlike other zombie games, or most games in fact, I never ever felt safe, I was always in danger, especially from hordes, and surely this is what a zombie game should be. Brilliant.

I'm happy to say it looks like I missed the teething troubles it suffered from on release, as I was very happy with the controls.
  20. Nov 14, 2013
    I'm a long time gamer as far back as Daggerfall and Lords of the Realm 1.

I was nearly deterred from this game due to all the negative feedback on the forums. Good thing I went ahead and got it anyway! What a pleasure to play! And I've played a lot of bad games in my time. And I can't recall a game in recent years I've really enjoyed this much. Last one that comes to mind is Rome
    I'm a long time gamer as far back as Daggerfall and Lords of the Realm 1.

What a pleasure to play! And I've played a lot of bad games in my time. And I can't recall a game in recent years I've really enjoyed this much. Last one that comes to mind is Rome Total War...and that was with mods!!!

Yes. The game needs some fine-tuning, but truth be told, the mechanics are solids, concept is AAA, and I've been having incredible entertainment. Get over technicalities. I hope the devs hammer them out in time, but if they don't, game is still a HIT!
  21. Sep 24, 2013
    A good, fun game with interesting elements and features. Love the real time elements and the perma-death. If I had any problems, it would be that the shooting is a little touchy, but it also makes it more intense.

Also, for being an early-access port from the 360, it works quite well.
  22. Oct 7, 2013
    I want to give this game a 7.5, but that's not an option.

I want to give this game a 7.5, but that's not an option.

State of decay is a hybrid open world zombie world survivor simulator 3rd person action game. The game starts very strong, and introduces some intriguing mechanics that could lead to a very unique gaming experience. Unfortunately a lot of the ideas introduced in the game feel like dead-ends and a rushed conclusion make for what feels like an incomplete experience.

The gameplay consists of two main modes. Exploring the open world and base building. Exploring consists of running or driving around while completing missions or searching for supplies. This involves run-ins with a near infinite supply of zombies. There are also some special zombies, one of which (the feral zombie) is probably the biggest threat in the game and is legitimately terrifying/upsetting when you run into it. Combat consists mostly of melee attacks, dodging, and unlockable special moves as your character progresses. These attacks are limited by your stamina. Once out of stamina, slow shambling zombies suddenly become a real threat. You also have the option to use a gun, but are discouraged to do so for several reasons: ammo is scarce, zombies can only be killed with head shots which can be difficult to pull off under stress, and unless silenced the gun not only calls nearby zombies, but SPAWNS new ones. I understand that loud nosies will attract zombies, but I should be able to use this as a way to herd zombies into one spot. if it just creates new ones it's pointless. Other than the gunplay I actually enjoyed the combat. The issue is that fighting zombies is never-ending, and pretty much every mission is fighting zombies, so it starts to get pretty old by mid-game.

Probably one of the most unique and my favorite aspects of the game is that your characters get "fatigued" the longer you use them, and you have to switch them out with other survivors. There are two different types of survivors, "powerhouse" and "reflex" and you use slightly different tactics with each (some survivors have neither which make them pretty useless). The coolest part is that regardless of which character you're using he/she will go on the story missions and have his own dialogue, which lends an organic and unique feeling to the story. Unfortunately there are only 2-3 voice actors so everyone sounds exactly the same.

Your characters level up as you use them, making them more and more valuable as time goes on. The rate at which skills level doesn't seem very balanced. You will almost instantly max out fighting and melee, but shooting may take a good chunk of the game and don't even get me started on the "searching" skill. Death is permanent so early in the game it's pretty thrilling to run out and scavenge.

Side missions pop-up randomly and at the beginning of the game give the world a sense of urgency and interest. Unfortunately there are only 3-4 types of missions and they are all pretty similar, By the mid-game they are pretty irritating.

The second big chunk of the game is base building and maintenance. This consists of sending your survivors to collect ammo, food, fuel, and materials. You can then use the materials to build different facilities such as bunks, medical tents, watchtowers etc... Each facility conveys different benefits and abilities, and it is fun to play around with up until mid-game. A couple of things hampers the fun of the base building. Ammo, food, and fuel don't really do a whole lot, which makes the incentive for collecting them a little unclear. Also the consumption or generation of these resources is not explained in game, you are simply given a daily number which can vary wildly, and it is unclear what effects having surplus or low levels will have. This is in stark contrast to other aspects of the game which explain mechanics in great detail (such as combat abilities.)

The game makes a very odd design choice in which you have no way to screen the survivors you recruit. Some have very useful abilities, and some don't, and once recruited really the only easy way to get rid of them is to send them on a suicide mission.

Despite the glitches I actually found the game to be graphically pleasing. It's not anything revolutionary but I thought the environments were detailed and creative. The sound design and occasional music also were pretty good.

Overall I would have liked to see this game in the oven a bit longer. It is obviously very ambitious and successful in certain respects. But there are several design flaws that I feel hamper its success. The resource gathering other than materials feels pointless. The missions are repetitive. Combat gets very repetitive. The story, which starts strong, ends with a 5 second cutscene that feels very unfinished. But I did play the game for a decent number of hours and I really enjoyed the first 50%.

At 20 dollars I would recommend the game to fans of the genre.
  23. Dec 10, 2013
    Having played many Zombie survival games and being very disappointed with some recent outputs (*coughs* WarZ/Infestation Survivor Stories), this was a very pleasant surprise.
    For once, it truly feels like a zombie survival game.
    You need to set up a base of survivors, with interchangeable characters. You need to gather resources from the surrounding suburbs/farms for survival. You need
    For once, it truly feels like a zombie survival game.
    You need to set up a base of survivors, with interchangeable characters.
    You need to gather resources from the surrounding suburbs/farms for survival.
    You need to improve/upgrade your base for survival.
    There is great weapon selection and weapons do degrade/break.
    You can drive cars, but these break easily and then become harder to find.
    There are plenty of side missions in the story to keep you amused, such as helping/gathering other 'survivors' to increase the standing of your base.
    Add to this zombies which are varied, with tougher zombies to kill, along with 'hordes' of zombies and house 'infestations'.
    All in all, it is a very well thought out and executed zombie survival game with everything I had hoped from this genre and more.
    This is a game which will really make you think about survival, and force you to play in a way for survival.
  24. Nov 29, 2013
    Best zombie game ever made. Feels like your in 'The walking Dead'. Micro management, Permanent character deaths (important because you can switch to these people) permanent vehicle loss. You have to maintain everything. Little missions constantly pop up to distract you from the main incentive (pursuing these can save playable characters lives)

Setting up a camp- deciding what buildings

Setting up a camp- deciding what buildings to develop (med, ammo, sniper nests etc)

Talking to people that are depressed/have issues helps more than you realise

If you send someone on a mission to collect resources they will physically go across the map and attempt to collect and return. You must kit them out well if you dont want them to die. If they die, any resources they collected will drop at the place of death.

Little details like this make this game special.

LOADS of weapons/ammo types/items. Shooting is perfect, the lighting is beautful. Its a reminder of why we play games and where the medium is going.

The start of this game does not do it justice. Keep on playing
  25. Nov 17, 2013
    Best zombie game Ever. Cross between sims, gta and xcom. With zombies! This is raw gameplay goodness and studios like squaresoft and capcom should really take note of what undead labs achieved here. Every element of this game has been meticulously thought out because it all works perfectly. If you ever wanted to feel what it's like to live through a zombie apocalypse then this game is aBest zombie game Ever. Cross between sims, gta and xcom. With zombies! This is raw gameplay goodness and studios like squaresoft and capcom should really take note of what undead labs achieved here. Every element of this game has been meticulously thought out because it all works perfectly. If you ever wanted to feel what it's like to live through a zombie apocalypse then this game is a must. Be prepared for the fact that death here is permanent, and you won't be able to save everyone, or do everything on your own. The only downside is that it will come to and end, but at least then my eyes can rest. Then there is new game of course! Expand
  26. Nov 7, 2013
    In my opinion the best zombie survival game on the market so far. It just doesn't get the best from the CryEngine 3. That's the only thing I've got to criticize.
  27. Oct 18, 2013
    It is clearly mentioned by the developer that the game is still in Early Access and there is a lot of work to do still to get it like xbox 360 version. I think this game is really nice, my favorite zombie game on pc. I am very hard to convince and this game "does the job" for now. I would give it 9/10 sentimentally but I will be honest lets go with an 8/10. Its worth the price fairIt is clearly mentioned by the developer that the game is still in Early Access and there is a lot of work to do still to get it like xbox 360 version. I think this game is really nice, my favorite zombie game on pc. I am very hard to convince and this game "does the job" for now. I would give it 9/10 sentimentally but I will be honest lets go with an 8/10. Its worth the price fair enough. It is not a survival type game but mostly a zombie killing game with a very nice storyline. Graphics are interesting, not the best but remember I am hard to convince and I enjoy it so. I had maybe 1 glitch in 10 hours playing, its not that bad. Don't Judge the game after an hour the first hour is a bit borring but....let the story make its effect and soon u will be hunting zombie with a nice station wagon at night, and scavenging nice shops. The map is not "HUGE" but I would say u don't need more than that size to enjoy this game.
    I recommend this game. (sorry for all the errors in text im French and practicing my english" thanks.
  28. Sep 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. um bom jogo, contudo precisa de algumas melhorias. No aspecto gráfico ele perfeito, a jogabilidade razoável. Permite muitas horas de subidas e descidas pelas montanhas. Mas, com o tempo ele vai ficando cansativo, pois o número de zumbis não diminui, enquanto os seus recursos sim. Espero que com as atualizações ele fique mais emocionante.
    ..............
    It's a good game, but needs some improvements. In the graphic aspect it is perfect, gameplay is reasonable. Allows many hours of uphill and downhill through the mountains. But with time it gets tiring, because the number of zombies does not diminish, while their resources yes. I hope he stays with the more exciting updates.
  29. Oct 5, 2013
    For an early release I was surprised at how well it held up. It has its bugs and glitches such as zombies ignoring walls, the graphics are nothing to rave about, the AI is dodgy (or everyone in Trumbull Valley is stupid), the spawns are sometimes a bit silly (clear a house, walk out, walk back in and full of zombies again) and the story is short and not the most exciting.

There are

There are other issues as well but in the end I just didn't really care about all the faults as I had a blast.

Charming combo of resource and people management with open world exploring and lots of ye-ha! zombie head bashing.
  30. Nov 23, 2013
    The game is out of early access now and while it's still rough around the edges, it's a good one. It comes the closest to providing the sandbox zombie survival game I've been waiting for. It has more strategy and depth than Dead Island, it's a ton more user-friendly than Day Z, it's prettier than Project Zomboid, and it has more zombies than Grand Theft Auto! But it feels like aThe game is out of early access now and while it's still rough around the edges, it's a good one. It comes the closest to providing the sandbox zombie survival game I've been waiting for. It has more strategy and depth than Dead Island, it's a ton more user-friendly than Day Z, it's prettier than Project Zomboid, and it has more zombies than Grand Theft Auto! But it feels like a combination of all these games. A lot of things make this game unique the need to befriend survivors in order to unlock them as playable characters; the need to capture, build, and maintain safe houses and outposts, a persistent world that continues on even when you log off.

The game is a bunch of fun as is, with a lot of exploration to do (on several levels world exploration, and exploration of game mechanics two staples of a good survival sandbox). Melee fighting isn't perfect but it works. Firearm fighting isn't perfect but it works. Exploration and scavenging works it's a lot of fun and puts to shame games like Day Z where buildings act mostly as non-explorable set pieces. All structures in this game are fully explorable and hide a lot of goodies. Driving works pretty well and using your vehicle as a weapon against zombie hordes is kind of epic.

The biggest complaint I see from players who rate this low is the mouse & keyboard scheme being too clumsy to use. I'm seeing that same complaint even today, which makes no sense to me. The M&K work just fine this game does not require a gamepad. I repeat this game no longer requires a gamepad. The other major complaint I see is about the graphics being ugly. They're not next-gen, but they're good at max settings, with great lighting and some good textures. Occasionally it's muddy, with colors seeming to run together, especially when out in forested open areas. Someone else suggested the graphics are on par with GTA IV. I wouldn't go quite that far. They do leave something to be desired. But that's the point. This feels kind of like a test game. Like, "let's see if this works". And it has. Quite well.

This first version is a bit clunky but it's making cash money, so I foresee a real future for this franchise. A polished, AAA sequel could easily be a GOTY contender. In fact, if I was a betting man, I'd bet the next game in the franchise goes up for that title.

31. Aug 11, 2014
    The most under-rated game of all time!

I was on the fence about purchasing this game when it came out because of the user reviews.. WHAT A MISTAKE. People are pretty stupid. I need to read deeper into negative reviews in the future and make sure that the ratio of "expansive features" to "dumb end users" isn't skewing the user score statistic. This game is SUPERB! I love everything
    The most under-rated game of all time!

This game is SUPERB! I love everything about it. My top 5 aspects:
    - Scary because if you lose a character.. it's just gone (no loading of saves)
    - Scary because you never know what's around the next corner
    - Fun because the story line is REALLY good sometimes
    - Fun because it's open world with lots of goodies
    - Worth my time because it's very dynamic.. huge replayability

This is Skyrim meets Walking Dead meets Battlefield. Love love love it!
  32. Mar 16, 2014
    Not so many games are in its league and only few are good to play.. scavenging + survival + zombies makes it one of the best game out there.. I wish on the next state of decay is a bigger map and lots of variety of weapon..
  33. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is different from your typical zombie game. Open world zombies done right!

The combat is very fluid, the NPC's are useful fighters and the environments feel believable. The zombies in this game are less of a "monster" [in that they don't provide loot, or experience] and more of an obstacle. I personally enjoyed this take on zombies more so than the "kill as many zombies as

The zombies in this game are less of a "monster" [in that they don't provide loot, or experience] and more of an obstacle. I personally enjoyed this take on zombies more so than the "kill as many zombies as you can!" as approach that other games take.

The game is more about managing your crew and your homestead, all while achieving progress in the story. It takes an old concept and simply changes its focus and achieves great results.
  34. Nov 21, 2013
    Definitely the best zombie survival game I have ever played. I really wanted to give this game a 10 but as awesome as it is I feel some of the features were not as complete as could have been (interaction with group and other groups, no multiplayer) and there are a few graphic glitches. That said after finishing the main story I Immediately started a second game and cannot wait forDefinitely the best zombie survival game I have ever played. I really wanted to give this game a 10 but as awesome as it is I feel some of the features were not as complete as could have been (interaction with group and other groups, no multiplayer) and there are a few graphic glitches. That said after finishing the main story I Immediately started a second game and cannot wait for additional content. Expand
  35. Dec 12, 2013
    Just got an hour playing it and I think it's a different zombies survival game compared to others out there.
    It a whole different story here with the games out there, it test you with survival ability within this game. not just weapon which is can be used again and again and again, it could break up or jammed, then you must scouring for another weapon or repairs it.
    The controls fine if
    The controls fine if you feel to fast you just need adjust it. maybe the patch now fixed it.

Another great thing is its open and active world, not just you can scouring the whole map, but you also find its a breathing maps, it progressing even when you're not playing. If you aren't very often playing games then this game is not for you, because you need to check your game periodically. I'm saying IT IS A REAL "REAL TIME GAMES".
    Just a little drawbacks back there, we don't know what happened or what is caused the zombies apocalypse, it reminds me some of zombies movies, which we don't know the hell happened so what to achieve, then it returned to old story "SURVIVE". its the only main mission no other. the sub mission will bring you to trade, save other survivors, or scavenging so you can survive more.

Man, you must be remains on high alert when outside of your home, do scavenging or whatever mission your on, because you never know what might happen, it completely take you by surprise.
    Maybe they will come at you from your blind spot or just going rush on you on your face.
    You must be stealth if you're going to survive, because no body telling you if there are a horde of zombies or a freaking zombies.
    They may infest a house and you must clears it before it attack your home. If you don't, then get ready if they attacking your home because there is a lot of 'em.

Damn i wish i have a laptop to play this games periodically, because of the breathing world out there, so when you're away, your survivor might consume extra, medicine food, whatever supply you have in your home or even injured or your home attacked by horde of zombies.

It is a "twisted" game, twisted here i mean it have economical, politics, combat and management part on the game to test your skills in this area.

Many possibilities in this game which will be determine your future in this game.
    I think the game challenging and there for worth to try..
    I Give my 10 point for this game.
  36. Dec 16, 2013
    In my opinion this is one of the best zombie games. Some might say that the zombie genre is used to much. So do I but i have to say that game is very fresh and exiting. All in all it is a great game
  37. Feb 28, 2014
    This game is a good mixture of many genres such as; sandbox, hack and slash, tower defence (in some ways) and RPG games. Reminiscent of Dead Rising and the Walking Dead game series, this game's artistic style is cartoon-like and friendly to the eyes.

There are some great mechanics and features in this game such as the Influence system and the ability to repair your vehicles/tools. I found it particularly interesting that every vehicle was very different to drive, something that I hadn't anticipated. The active progression and missions were also a plus, you were always kept busy and you never could really run out of things to do. Characters were also varied and interesting in most instances. Your choices and decisions affected other characters greatly and determined attitudes among the survivors in the form of Morale at the home base - a very good incentive to keep you working to make sure no survivors stir up trouble due to low Morale.

The map is very large, giving you a seemingly unlimited amount of places to loot and hunt. Terrain looks decent and had a good mixture - from mountainous ranges to lakes and farms. The noise mechanic is a first that I've seen, searching will alert zombies in a radius of your position. Running, walking, driving, searching, even just finishing off a few zombies will be akin to ringing the dinner bell.

Some minor downfalls were in its combat system - it felt too laboured and the area of attack was a little too small, making you a very very easy target of the zombies if you had let too many stray too close. Another improvement would be a user defined save point rather than automatic saves deemed by the game, this would lessen some anxiety for some users who are experiencing save game issues or those who just want peace of mind that their progress isn't just going to disappear. The option to skip cutscenes would be nice but it isn't a huge deal-breaker.

Overall the game is on the better side of the scale, only few improvements that would pull it up. An engaging and challenging play, suited to those who fancy some zombie hack and slash with a side of serious and interesting storyline.
  38. Dec 18, 2013
    At the moment this is the best Zombie Survival game out there, a lot more could be added to make it less repetitive and more engaging with other survivors. But still a game I can play over and over again.
  39. Dec 15, 2013
    Best zombie game i ever played worth the money very fun breakdown is amazing i love the how it plays out

i love the zombie type and that you can barricade the windows you cant get zombie games like this
  40. Jan 20, 2014
    Of any game I've played, State of Decay is the closest yet to what I always imagined the ideal zombie apocalypse survival game to be. It's not just combat, combat, combat, this game makes you feel hunted and the moments of dramatic tension that arise naturally as you're sneaking around are great.

There's an excellent balance between realism and action, a rich setting packed full of references and amusing little details, and clever use of noise as a gameplay element (loud noises can attract zombies from all over, which is often a risk, but also gives rise to tactics like the use of noise to lure or distract enemies). I also liked the combination of multiple playable characters and permanent death, if you get your character killed, it's final - they're dead and gone, and you'll have to play someone else from their group. It really feels like a loss when a survivor you've been building up into a badass gets torn apart in a raid gone horribly wrong.

Owing to its small budget, it's a bit rough around the edges, but it has a heart of gold and a lot of ambition. At first I thought "another zombie game?" but this was a breath of fresh air to me.
  41. Jan 14, 2014
    State of Decay is in my opinion the best zombie survival game to date. It isn't the mindless grind fest that you see with Left 4 Dead or have the ridiculous amounts of campy-ness in Dead Rising. (who doesn't want to fight zombies with double chainsaws, wearing a motorcycle helmet and hot pants?)

The game starts you out as Marcus, an average guy who comes home from a fishing trip to find his home town is now over run with zombies. From there you will sneak, fight, shoot, and scavenge, to stay alive.

As you progress you will gather new survivors, build a community, and maintain that community.
    You will play many, many, different survivors. As your player character will get tired, and can get hurt requiring you to bench them and pick another. Your characters gain experience and level up giving them access to more stamina, more health, and special moves. And if your character dies, they stay dead increasing the stakes as you venture out for supplies.

The good:
    State of Decay features a very immersive gameplay system. Combat is simplistic but rewarding. I play on PC with an 360 controller and feel like I can quickly and fluidly change between melee and ranged when I want to. The sound effects of the guns are very good, and the animations are visceral and satisfying when you stomp a zombies brains into the pavement or decapitate them.

Survivors: All survivors that join your team have retinues or passive abilities. These passives affect how this survivor will upgrade. Some can give bonuses or penalties when upgrading combat or defensive skills. And personality types affect how they interact with your group. Will you take an alcoholic cop with anger issues but has a bonus to guns and melee or leave him to fend for himself?

Noise and stealth: Shoot a gun, drive a car, honk a horn, break a window are some of the ways to draw zombies to your location. And the size of the noise matters. Breaking a window entering a house might only bring the zombies in that room to your location where blowing up a car or propane tank will basically ring the dinner bell. Stealth plays a huge role as you want to gain resources not waste them in an unnecessary fight. Zombies will only appear on your mini map if they are alerted to you, which means you have to mind your surroundings or you could walk right into a group of them or have one sneak up on you.

The bad:

The voice acting is pretty...ok most of the time, but you will run into dialogue that is just awful.
    And the script is in desperate need of an overhaul.

The combat for ranged weapons isn't as tight as it could be, meaning that popping heads in the open is fine, but trying to shoot out a window or through a door and you're gonna hit the wall a lot of the time.(This was with my ranged character with max gun upgrades)

You'll see zombies clip through walls, doors and windows. They can and do teleport or slide around the map. This doesn't happen all the time, but you will see it more than once.

NPC AI is mediocre to bad. There are no commands that I can find telling them to "Go here" or "Wait" or telling them to switch between ranged or melee weapons. You will see instances of NPC's just standing around as their friends fight for their lives and only engage when a zombie strays to attack them.

NPC's can't drive cars. Which sucks when you radio for an NPC scavenger run from a remote farm house. 2 days later, they will return with those supplies.

The game is still active after you quit, meaning that your resources will be used. This is probably the one part of the game that doesn't make any sense to me. As day and night will pass in the game, but the "time away" is when cars and weapons are repaired (provided you have the facilities), and resources are consumed, etc. I don't know why these things don't occur as I'm playing, and it's not explained very well in the tutorial. In fact there is a lot of stuff I wish the tutorial would have gone over in depth.

The supply locker will restock your ammunition and limits your stacks to 120 per ammo type.
    Meaning that if you have 240 of 9mm ammo, 120 will be "used" or removed when you play your game the next time. As of the Jan 2014 patch this is working as intended. I guess to prevent you from becoming broken, but I think it was a dumb decision of the devs to punish the player for "hoarding" in a game play genre that is ALL ABOUT hoarding. This is the same for certain health/stamina items. Reseach this on the wiki, or you may find yourself will half your supply of twinkies gone the next time you login.

That being said I still find this game very enjoyable. I got mine during the Steam Xmas sale, and if I had to pay full price knowing what I know now, I totally would. Pick it up for yourself and take a look. It's like Day Z, but without people with voice modulators screaming racial obscenities at you.
  42. Feb 9, 2014
    Survivor Doge says: much win, such survival. wow.

I bought both this and the DLC and couldn't be happier, there's quite a few cool mods out there already to add to this awesome game. All it needs is a proper sand box mode, but one can forestall story line pretty much indefinitely so it doesn't matter much.
  43. Dec 24, 2013
    This game is amazing, its more than typical zombie games, you have to rescue survivors and build up your ranks, find shelter, set up outposts, trade resources its just a amazing experience.
    If you want a zombie game thats more than just mindless running around killing zombies you will love this.
    Best zombie sim ever made. Not for crybaby gamers, IE ones that rage quit after some
    Best zombie sim ever made.
    Not for crybaby gamers, IE ones that rage quit after some challenge or after losing a character they worked on leveing up due to perma death.
    This is a game for gamers.
  44. Jul 9, 2014
    This is for the breakdown DLC.
    It got bugs and some annoying contrast issues, but for the most part the bugs can be avoided or they've been patched. The contrast is the one thing the player must get used to if they don't use mods.
    But building up your character, maintaining base, and sneaking up on zombies are so addicting, omg! I didn't know I'd spend so much time in a single player
    This is for the breakdown DLC.
    I didn't know I'd spend so much time in a single player game.
    Low price, addicting gameplay, and moddable game = A+ in my book.
    Thank you thank you thank you!
  45. Nov 17, 2013
    Great zombie survival sandbox. There are many unique survivors/weapons to collect & quests to finish. The story progression is great.

For all those complaining about keybindings, search Google it. It's not that hard to do some research. By the way, it uses keyboard & mouse now as default not Xbox controller.
  46. Jan 5, 2014
    Truly one of the best zombies (or "zeds" in the game) open-world game i ever played... you can build outposts, safe place, and upgrade your home base
    True, there are some annoying stuff like NPC's that act like robots, and when ever you bring supplies your character repeats:" i have stuff"
    State of decay is a super fun and "realistic" but i gave it 88 because of the super robotic NPC's
    State of decay is a super fun and "realistic"
    but i gave it 88 because of the super robotic NPC's and some over and over to-do stuff
  47. Dec 19, 2013
    One of the best games I've played in a year or two. Massive environment, pretty good NPC/Enemy AI, perfect blend of RPG/ survival/realism elements, great 3rd person experience.

I find it to have to the perfect blend of both realism and survival elements, while not being too realistic to the point of annoyance. Very addicting,boy was I surprised when I took note that my first time playing was almost 6 hours in length; such a thing hasn't happened in years for me.

Controls are Fine for me, of course I custom configured them but I have noticed no awkwardness whatsoever besides the time it took to get used to some binds all a 1 hour learning curve at most.

I actually think this would be one of the better console ports in recent memory as far as controls go.

I run the game with maxed out settings GTX 550ti 8 gigs of ram, quad-core processor) and besides an occasional random lag spike while driving i have no performance issues, game has never crashed or locked up 25 hours+ of play time)

Haven't payed much attention to the main plot, but from what I've experienced it fits into the freestyle of the game which doesn't push you along. The character attributes aren't the most customizable but they do the job for the massive number of playable characters you have at your disposal. Base customization and building upgrades are well done, especially when you think of all you have to manage, just like the character attributes. Too much detail would become frustrating in a zombie sandbox game such as this, so I believe the developers hit the nail on the head in terms of customization.

Game is wonderful. Highly recommended.
  48. Jun 16, 2014
    I love this game... not the same survival... when an npc die... is died!
    A gta with zombies... Negative review? blahhh Try to play not for 5 minutes but a little deep.
  49. Jan 20, 2014
    This game is an absolute gem. I have sunk more than 400 hours into the game and still going strong.
    In an honest review, I need to mention the issues, that might put some people off, such as:
    - a persistent game world (when you log off, the simulation runs in the background - if you leave your survivors in good shape, likely no probs when you come back .. if there are bad relationships, depression and hunger, you might come back to a suicide, risen zombie, and deaths putting the zombie down - all while you were away!)
    - initially dodgy console port .. the game has come great strides since it's initial release, but it is basically an XBOX port which might annoy some people. Personally, I loathe consolitis and prefer dedicated PC games, but I've still taken great enjoyment from SoD regardless.
    - autosave feature - you cannot save your game, the game does it automatically, it's pretty much an ironman game all the way
    - permadeath - if you lose a survivor, they're gone .. RIP .. you have to recruit & train up new survivors
    - some gameplay bugs - not many that I can think of actually .. at first release there were some problems, now there's just a few weird issues, not unlike any game
    - cannot forward time - time flows at a rate of about 2 hours = 1 day, 1 hour = 1 night .. and you can't speed it up. Night time is more dangerous, you either have to wait it out or man up and get out there in the dark, son !
    Most of the above, I see as assets not liabilities. Anyway, if you like zombie games, survival games, or RPG games where you develop and defend a community .. don't look past this title. It really is awesome.
    There's room for improvement, sure, but the game is a diamond in the rough.
  50. Nov 9, 2013
    Not a retarded alpha/Beta Review -

This game is worth buying for any PC gamer, and definitely worth the price. That said, I feel this game, given a couple more months in development, could have really been one of the greatest of all time, but a couple hours in, it feels like the story goes a bit flat, and there is a lot of elements of the game that if expanded, would have been epic.
    Not a retarded alpha/Beta Review -

I gave this an 8/10 -2 for the basic PC game elements that it was missing, such as windowed mode, and that a lot of the scenes and quests are still bugged after release.
  51. Nov 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great zombie survival sandbox. The sense of urgency and fear of character perma-death makes this open world zombie survival game stand out. A good, fun game with interesting elements and features. Expand
  52. Nov 21, 2013
    A must buy if you are a fan of either open world games or the zombie genre. If you like both, you're in for a real treat.

A touch of polish to come in the next patch, but it essentially isnt vital as the game itself offers so much. I think it is very well thought out, and for the price, you'll get so much more for you money than with some of the AAA titles released recently (Rome 2, X Rebirth etc)

Just get it, and try not to get ripped to pieces by the nearest horde
  53. Dec 1, 2013
    That's one of the Best Zombie Survival Games i have ever seen. Its a mix of GTA and the famous DayZ mod where you have to search loot and keep your company happy. I cant understand those who give this game a 0/10 because most of them are talking that there is no keyboard support atm what is not right! It is fully playable with mouse&keyboard. I will give this game a 10/10 because its theThat's one of the Best Zombie Survival Games i have ever seen. Its a mix of GTA and the famous DayZ mod where you have to search loot and keep your company happy. I cant understand those who give this game a 0/10 because most of them are talking that there is no keyboard support atm what is not right! It is fully playable with mouse&keyboard. I will give this game a 10/10 because its the game i have been waiting for years. Expand
  54. Nov 26, 2013
    Finally i found some Horror Zombie survival Game what i missed in WarZ rip off. This game i played in beta and it was already aswesome. After some time you find out how to survive and then it goes smoth the way down. Since the game is story driven, its never getting boring. The End is somehow expecting and somehow you knew it already. Looking forward for the add on and the sequel. If thisFinally i found some Horror Zombie survival Game what i missed in WarZ rip off. This game i played in beta and it was already aswesome. After some time you find out how to survive and then it goes smoth the way down. Since the game is story driven, its never getting boring. The End is somehow expecting and somehow you knew it already. Looking forward for the add on and the sequel. If this game would have been mp, it would be fu** awesome. Expand
  55. Dec 24, 2013
    This game is nearly perfect if you want to play a zombie game. Heads explode, you get overwhelmed and die, and this is the first game that ever got me attached to a character. A character that doesn't actually matter. Death is permanent, it will just switch you out to the next character in your survival group.

It's hard. Ammo is scarce. You must eat to survive. You must save people or

It's hard. Ammo is scarce. You must eat to survive. You must save people or you won't last long. The zombies will catch you and rip you apart. Firing a shotgun makes your butthole pucker, in the afraid way.

The negative parts for me are only technical stuff that hopefully patches out. Pathing on NPCs sucks. They will get stuck in the ground on occasion and get themselves or you killed.
  56. Dec 28, 2013
    State of Decay is a game that I like a lot more than I thought I would upon purchase. I am a big zombie game player, and I find this game taking a lot of my time. It has a large, open world with a never ending number of zombies. The graphics aren't top of the line, but are far from unacceptable. The characters, even though cliche at times, are quite interesting. The biggest thing with SoDState of Decay is a game that I like a lot more than I thought I would upon purchase. I am a big zombie game player, and I find this game taking a lot of my time. It has a large, open world with a never ending number of zombies. The graphics aren't top of the line, but are far from unacceptable. The characters, even though cliche at times, are quite interesting. The biggest thing with SoD is the choices you make can be detrimental to your group. The game saves automatically, so for all of those people that are used to, "Oops, I messed up. Lemme just reload to just a few seconds ago and do it better." You may want to avoid this game. The downside to this game is the combat system. Not the NPCs, their AI is impressive in all combat, but the controls and weapons. It can be difficult to hit a specific zombie if there is more than one in melee range. Also, the weapons degrade far quicker than I feel they should. This game is fantastic overall, and a must have for any zombie buffs out there. Expand
  57. Jan 14, 2014
    This is probably the best game I have palyed in the last few years. Its best feature is the excellent gameplay and atmosphere. Definitely the best zombie-survival game, being a simulation in an open world that you can explore makes it feel very real and you are not spoiled like in most dumbed down games lately. There is permadeath and once one of your characters is dead they are dead.
    The
    The graphics engine is only average to good, but the graphics are somehow rich with a lot of foliage and details, etc. There are also some glitches but somehow they didn't spoil my enjoiment, probably made it a bit more difficult.
  58. Jan 24, 2014
    If the only thing you care about in games is graphics - then avoid this game. For me, graphics in games is marginal thing, and if its the case with you - buy this game. Its all about the gameplay, and this game has it good!
  59. Jan 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With so many Zombie Apocalypse Titles out there, the whole scene is getting boring rather fast, but I must honestly say that State of Decay is a great game.

It's the same as most other zombie apocalypse game do everything you can to survive scavenge, fortify your base and so on and so forth but they did it a bit different.

You start off with 2 friends Marcus and Ed at a campsite in the mountains where you meet up with a couple of other survivors who ask you to look around a bit to see if you can find any other survivors, the first person you meet is Maya, a soldier who was out by the lake with two of her friend, sadly her friends were overrun and killed by the zombies. Your little group of 3 then make your way back to the ranger station only to find everyone there has also been killed. You get hold of a two way radio and from there the actual fun begins when you head toward your first home base.

Once at your new home base you need to make friends, you only have access to certain gear if you do your part and put in the leg work. Now you are going to do a lot of running in this game, a lot of button mashing fighting and you are going to get very upset at yourself for making stupid mistakes that get you killed, because if you die then you’re dead. That’s it that character that dies is gone forever, never to be seen again. SO DON'T DIE... Remember you are not super human.

The game is not very hard but at the same time it's not very easy either at first you run up to every zombie you can find to beat up to see all the different cool moves your character has to take down zombies but as you progress you learn one very important thing, being overrun is dangerous, too many zombies in a small space could be fatal and so you find yourself avoiding contact later in the game.

So what makes the game great? Well here's a list of why I think it's a great game.
    1. The story progresses if and when you want it to, though there are plenty missions available you don't have to do them all.
    2. If you scavenge supplies and you find more than you can carry you can call in for help. Leave the premises and a friend or two will go get the remainder of the supplies.
    3. Relocating your home base, as your circle grows you need more space, and different home bases give different "Rewards"
    4. The Zombies are balanced out, it’s not like most other games where there are little or no zombies, or they are massively over populated and you have almost no chance of survival.
    5. The vehicle damage is very realistic, you hit a fence or a couple of zombies a few times and you are going to start getting radiator problems.

But there are also a few bad things in the game.
    1. You find yourself doing the same thing over and over again a lot in the game.
    2. The game has no manual save option, which makes it more realistic ( I actually like this ) but it's bad for when you make a stupid mistake and end up dead then you sit there afterwards and think why the hell did I do that.
    3. This is probably what bugs me the most, the whole time you are playing the game it feels like you are sitting behind a console, and I am a very big console Hater and I am not afraid to say it. The game feels like a cheap console port to PC and it's close to unplayable with a keyboard and mouse, if you want to enjoy the game you will need a controller.
    4. The gun mechanics doesn't work too well, due to the fact that the game is third person you often find yourself shooting at strange angles which in reality would be impossible to hit the target but in the game it works.

This is by far one of my longest reviews ever, but a lot of words to describe a good game.

My Rating - 8/10 - The Console port to PC is a big disappointment and makes the game difficult to play on a keyboard and mouse.

Seriously a great game. Buy it...
  60. Feb 19, 2014
    I wish the game was bigger. It's got massive potential but only uses a portion of it. It could be one of the best survival game out there. We could have various maps, much longer story mode, less frustrating repairing system and better and more missions.
    It is a really good and time consuming game, where you get used to characters - they have different voices, perks and traits. You really care for those people despite them being generated randomly.
    It's pretty realistic and you really feel the apocalyptic atmosphere. The world is pretty well done, I wish there was more weather variation.
    It was fun playing that game but at the same time it was a bit disappointing as the game could offer a lot more than it actually does.
    The DLC is not worth buying though.
  61. Feb 22, 2014
    For the fans of the zombie world like me...i can tell you. The best game ever made. We feel just like inside the walking dead series or any other movie a like. Just one thing...can u add a multiplayer feature? Would be great. If the world really keeps on going like some users say. Players could build teams. Taking care of each other. Would be even more realistic.
  62. Feb 25, 2014
    An awesome immersive zombie survival game for only 20 dollars...it has its share of bugs and glitches but you'd be hard-pressed to find one that is game-breaking...the graphics aren't state of the art and the story really isn't the greatest either but if your into zombies and open world games you cant go wrong with state of decay. It has several nice RPG elements added in...you can pickAn awesome immersive zombie survival game for only 20 dollars...it has its share of bugs and glitches but you'd be hard-pressed to find one that is game-breaking...the graphics aren't state of the art and the story really isn't the greatest either but if your into zombies and open world games you cant go wrong with state of decay. It has several nice RPG elements added in...you can pick special skills and level up your characters cardio and fighting skills etc. etc. You manage your community's construction and morale...your characters even develop traits that affect them positively or negatively. For 20 dollars you can't go wrong with State of Decay. Expand
  63. Apr 14, 2014
    I recommend you buy State of Decay. I didn't like it at first, when I had not experienced too much of it, but now it is probably my favorite(and the best) apocalypse simulation you can get. The story is actually pretty interesting too, and the characters are well done. They even have their own traits, skills, likes, and dislikes. Everything that happens in the world of state of decayI recommend you buy State of Decay. I didn't like it at first, when I had not experienced too much of it, but now it is probably my favorite(and the best) apocalypse simulation you can get. The story is actually pretty interesting too, and the characters are well done. They even have their own traits, skills, likes, and dislikes. Everything that happens in the world of state of decay happens in real time, including sending scavengers from your group out to get supplies from somewhere. They actually leave the base and risk their lives, they don't spawn into the place you sent them too. The AI is capable of defending themselves, and can their path finding works well so there is no need to worry about them getting killed from being stuck on a wall or door frame etc. If you like the walking dead show, than its basically like that in game form. You have to deal with problems and disagreements from within your group, not just the growing zombie threat and the shrinking amount of resources and perhaps even kill your best friend before he turns because he contracted black fever (the zombie sickness that turns you into a zombie). State of decay looks good graphically and has a very realistic and believable atmosphere. it supports mods and even has its own Nexus and mod manager, jut like Skyrim. And by the way the shooting is very solid and fun, with a good amount of guns. There are 137 guns in total I believe, and that includes the Breakdown DLC. There are also a bunch of melee weapons as well. Melee weapons in State of Decay: 46. Melee weapons added in Breakdown DLC: 26. Weapons in Breakdown combined with State of Decay: 72. Expand
  64. Jul 1, 2014
    this game is very well made game.

just one problem, that is kavinh said, it spend supplies as 24hour

if not this, people will give higer score, SAD
  65. GJW
    Jul 15, 2014
    If you want a zombie game then this is a good one, with new expansions the game provides a very good game style and fairly decent graphics that don't need tee latest gaming video cards to play it. I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 as there is always room for improvement, that said if you are a zombie fan I am sure you will really enjoy this game.
  66. Aug 11, 2014
    Just awesome zombie survival! You have a feeling that you are in the game all the time. Open world is very nice, the town the nature, everything. Just enjoy killing tons of zombies with frying pan. :)
  67. Sep 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is simply great. It is the good old gaming as it was years ago, where you had to use your fantasy to create worlds in your head which kept you coming back for more.

There is a Zombie outbreak and you are a part of it. The game is not teaching you a lot, but to teach about the mechanics, thats a part of the fun.

It has his technical problems, but I am sure you will foget about them after just a moment. Go for it!
  68. Mar 20, 2015
    This game is the best zombie game I've played yet, and I've played a lot. Here's why:
    Pros:
    - you do not play only 1 character, but as many as you have; each one having its own abilities to help you survive - when your character dies, he dies; you gotta be careful, and this makes you think twice before heading out during the night - really nice atmosphere, sound design and music -
    Pros:
    - really nice atmosphere, sound design and music
    - this games has almost ALL the aspects you want to see in a zombie apocalypse game: scavenging, recruiting, base building, manage resources and a community, weapon diversity
    - amazing modding community and mod support; you can litterally change the game exactly as you want to play it -> high replayability
    - interesting story and characters
    Cons:
    - stupid AI
    - clunky graphics and animations
    - sometimes clunky m&k controls (no key to toggle walk)
    - one same old map (espically when you replay the game a lot)

I give it a 9/10 because it's amazing features as a zombie apo game tremendously outruns its performance and gameplay mechanics weaknesses. And it's incredibly fun to play - if not addictive.
  69. May 21, 2016
    I give it a 9 cause the game make me want to play more and more. There are so much possibilities and things to do. Houses to explore. Interactions with people.Its not an arcade style game . You have to take your time and think cause if u die there is no re spawn! Instead you take control of another member of your group and it will affect the morale of the surviving members. Of course it'sI give it a 9 cause the game make me want to play more and more. There are so much possibilities and things to do. Houses to explore. Interactions with people.Its not an arcade style game . You have to take your time and think cause if u die there is no re spawn! Instead you take control of another member of your group and it will affect the morale of the surviving members. Of course it's not perfect and some missions are repetitive but it's addictive for a lot of reasons. It's atmospheric! The music is intense and the apocalyptic mood of the game is felt intensively. It's strategic and rewarding if you play it well. The learning curve is a little bit hard .Don't underestimate the zombies. Make sure your gun are loaded. Don't goes scavenging alone! And avoid any noises unless it's necessary! The only zombie game that remind me of The walking dead tv show! Expand
  70. Dec 3, 2014
    An interesting, quite entertaining game. I love the zombie setting so I found this game very enjoyable. The graphics were apropriate, the animations quite nice though I have to say lip sync was rather bad. The missions were interesting- I quite liked the dynamic tasks mechanics. The largest fault I could find was the length- I was taking my time but I could probably burn through the mainAn interesting, quite entertaining game. I love the zombie setting so I found this game very enjoyable. The graphics were apropriate, the animations quite nice though I have to say lip sync was rather bad. The missions were interesting- I quite liked the dynamic tasks mechanics. The largest fault I could find was the length- I was taking my time but I could probably burn through the main storyline in 5-6 hours which is a really low score. But I would recommend this game to the fans of zombies and GTA-style games. Expand
  71. Nov 3, 2014
    Este juego es como debió ser "The Walking Dead Survival Instinct".

Es un Sandbox en donde puedes buscar suministros, armas, supervivientes, es como si literalmente entraras a un Apocalipsis en donde tienes toda la libertad de hacer lo que quieras, es como si esto fuera el show, como si esto pasara en otra parte del país con toda la libertad de hacer lo que quieras. Aquí estas en una
    Este juego es como debió ser "The Walking Dead Survival Instinct".

Aquí estas en una base en donde puedes construir almacenes, talleres, carpas médicas, jardines para sembrar comida, aparte de que puedes cambiar de base y cada superviviente drenara recursos que encuentres, por lo que no puedes llenar tu base con todos los supervivientes que quieran unirse, si lo haces se acabaran todos tus recursos. Además aquí cada superviviente tiene su propia personalidad y historias, cada uno tiene sus ventajas y desventajas, aparte que puedes usar a cualquier superviviente que encuentres sin restricciones, no hay personaje principal, el personaje principal tu lo eliges. Aquí también solo tienen una vida, si alguien muere se muere y fin, nunca volverá, tienes que ser cuidadoso cuando sales, en especial si no sales preparado. También tiene un sistema de sigilo muy bien hecho. Puedes usar autos, petardos, granadas y demás para hacer ruido y atraer a los Zombies a una dirección especifica para poder pasar con mas facilidad a un área que este llena de ellos. Es un poco fácil el sigilo pero son Zombies, ellos no usan el cerebro. También hay un sistema de combate con 3 tipos de armas, grandes, contundentes y afiladas, sin contar armas de fuego. Las armas tienen un ciclo de vida, si las usas mucho se romperán, aunque con talleres podrás arreglaras si construyes uno, también puedes elegir habilidades especiales en cada personaje con un arma en especifico. Por ejemplo: con armas de fuego puedes equipar una habilidad que hará que el tiempo valla mas lento dandote mejor precisión o con armas pesadas podrás equipar una habilidad que tumbara a los enemigos cercanos en un ángulo de 360 grados. Se nota que los creadores, Undead Labs, tomaron mucha influencia en el show para la creación de este titulo. Tiene sus problemas como bugs o que la Inteligencia Artificial es... no es mala pero ni en broma buena, pero no tiene muchos bugs y la I.A tampoco es la peor del mundo. Le doy un 08/10 para mi vale su precio completo de 19.99, sin mencionar que no es ni la mitad de lo que cuesta Survival Instinct que no dura ni la mitad que este gran titulo.
  72. Dec 22, 2014
    Basically, it's gta with zombies! Nice crafting and mission system, fun combat and pillaging. It's true, cutscenes are unskippable but they're all quite short, and there could be more variety in veichles and weapons, but the dlcs helps in this way.
  73. Jan 2, 2015
    This game may not have beautiful graphics, but it is probably the best zombie survival game out there. The concept of the game meets the zombie apocalypse standards and you do what every zombie show or movie does, survive.
  74. Mar 4, 2015
    For me this is the best survival zombie ever. Or lets make this the best zombie game out there. Left for dead is second for me but that game is totally different because it is a shooter. But with this one everything about it is great. Managing your people, your supplies etc, they just nailed it. Very interesting and enjoyable game I finished it twice.
  75. Feb 9, 2015
    Assisti a um video deste maravilhoso jogo e me interessei por ele na hora, os gráficos são perfeitos, pode-se interagir com quase tudo no ambiente de jogo e o mundo aberto proporciona uma vasta área de exploração com grandes surpresas, este jogo vai te dominando, ele é viciante. As duas DLCs também são maravilhosas, a única coisa que ficou faltando é a possibilidade de jogar multiplayer.Assisti a um video deste maravilhoso jogo e me interessei por ele na hora, os gráficos são perfeitos, pode-se interagir com quase tudo no ambiente de jogo e o mundo aberto proporciona uma vasta área de exploração com grandes surpresas, este jogo vai te dominando, ele é viciante. As duas DLCs também são maravilhosas, a única coisa que ficou faltando é a possibilidade de jogar multiplayer. Aconselho o uso de um controle de XBox ou Similar para jogar esse jogo pois são muitos comandos e as vezes é preciso ser rápido para atacar ou contra atacar os zumbis. Expand
  76. Nov 1, 2015
    State of Decay delivers a brand-new style for zombie genres, a really enjoyable style. Game is absolutely almost perfect up to the DLCs - if not for the stupid ally AI, the occasional bugs, the annoying persistent open world system and influence points.
  77. Mar 6, 2016
    I'm a sucker for anything zombie related and State of Decay was basically a dream come true. I heard about this game a long time ago and was guttered to find out it was going to be a Xbox 360 exclusive. I jumped with joy however when I learned it was coming to PC. What were my feelings when it came onto PC, disappointed but satisfied.

You're put into an open world infested by zombies

You're put into an open world infested by zombies and one thing that I like about the game is that it literally puts you right into the action. It doesn't give you any sort of tedious and padded out opening, it put you into the action. I'm not saying I don't like those sort of games as most game that do that end up being one of my favourite games of the year (The Walking Dead.) Gameplay works as a sort of third person shooter with stealth and melee combat. One bad thing I find the combat is that it's way too easy. Attack, attack, attack, reversal, rinse and repeat. Other parts that are included in the game prove to be a challenge. Management of resources, mission objectives expire so that means you need to question what your camp needs more of with a chance that you may never gain that amount of resources. It's also incredibly fun to play as well, exploring the open world, exploring buildings that might contain resources but on your way home a horde could come for you and the resources will slow you down. Also when a survivor dies, they're permanently dead, you'll have to use a different survivor in your camp.

Graphics are beautiful but they could be better. I noticed a few pop ins and badly textured rocks, moss and foliage. There were also quite a few times where performance took a turn for the worse. I experienced multiple frame rate drops which is apparently something the Xbox version suffered from. I also experienced a few game breaking bugs and multiple crashes.

You will want to replay State of Decay again even after finishing the story, as you will want to see if you can keep your survivors alive for a second time through.
  78. Mar 22, 2016
    I'm a sucker for anything zombie related and State of Decay was basically a dream come true. I heard about this game a long time ago and was guttered to find out it was going to be a xbox 360 exclusive. I jumped with joy however when I learned it was coming to PC. What were my feelings when it came onto PC, disappointed but satisfied.

You're put into an open world infested by zombies

You're put into an open world infested by zombies and one thing that I like about the game is tht it literraly puts you right into the action. It doesn't give you any sort of tedious and padded out opening, it put you into the action. I'm not saying I don't like those sort of games as most game that do that end up being one of my favourite games of the year (The Walking Dead.) Gameplay works as a sort of third person shooter with stealth and melee combat. One bad thing I find the combat is that it's way too easy. Attack, attack, attack, reversal, rinse and repeat. Other parts that are included in the game prove to be a challenge. Mangement of resources, mission objectives expire so that means you need to question what your camp needs more of with a chance that you may never gain that amount of resources. It's also incredibly fun to play aswell, exploring the open world, exploring buildings that might contain resources but on your way home a horder could come for you and the resources will slow you down. Also when a survivor dies, they're permanately dead, you'll have to use a different surivor in your camp.

Graphics are beautiful but they could be better. I noticed a few pop ins and badly textured rocks, moss and foliage. There were also quite a few times where performance took a turn for the worse. I experienced multiple frame ratedrops which is apparently something the Xbox version suffered from. I also experienced a few game breaking bugs and multiple crashes.

79. Jan 10, 2017
    Good Game but could be better!
    Zombie Survival Games Is Better When Its Co-Op Split Screen.
    In Co-op Its Have Much Fun!But in the other Sides Its Good.In Graphic,in story!
    But I dont know Why Games Like That Is Come Very Late!!

1. PC PowerPlay
    Feb 3, 2014
    It might look dead on the outside, but the systemic mechanical genius of State of Decay is gloriously alive and kicking. [Feb 2014, p.82]
  2. PC Gamer
    Dec 31, 2013
    Stodgy combat, two-dimensional characters, and technical hitches prevent this from living up to its lofty premise. [Feb 2014, p.58]
  3. Dec 13, 2013
    At first, State of Decay feels like an exciting introduction into a bleak world of zombie apocalypse, but tedious missions, dated graphics and boring characters quickly ruin all the fun.