Strider PC

7.4

1. Jul 26, 2014
    finished beating the game now. The game has some pros and cons.

Pros - great fluid fighting and makes you feel like a bad ass. excellent frame rate very fluid again and very cool visually. Cons - no memorable music. Costumes don't do anything but change colors. No story line other than go kill that really bad guy (for some i don't think that matters much). Could use more
    finished beating the game now. The game has some pros and cons.

Cons - no memorable music. Costumes don't do anything but change colors. No story line other than go kill that really bad guy (for some i don't think that matters much). Could use more customization (a level up system would've been with stat placing and new moves more weapons that fought different not just 4 different once with same animation with effects that really weren't that exciting). Wish each scenery had more noticable different look, i always felt like i was in the same are with dull differences (just metal and more metal everywhere with a few elemental differences). Wish would've had like a grassy, mountainous, snowy area, a magma area that actually really felt more true to it a dark abandoned dungeon etc. like Megaman X games and a lot of Castlevania games. I don't know alltogether atmosphere was sorta bland for me. Bosses were way to easy (than again played on normal still should've been more challange for a metroidvania even like that).

Conclusion: alright game with wicked fluid action and very beautiful for a 2D game. Little bland and short (4 to 7 hours??). Great concept though and had a lot of fun parts. But def. missed it's mark. For such a pretty large production could've taken advice from Valdis Story ( rrreeeally great metroidvania game that is INDIE game and is has hard as hell with boss battles that make you feel accomplished when u beat even on normal).
  2. Feb 19, 2014
    Unfortunately, the game won't run at my monitor's native resolution (1080p) in full screen. It's a bug and I hope they fix it soon because otherwise I have enjoyed myself!
  3. Feb 20, 2014
    They took the classic Strider Arcade Gameplay and combined it with a Super Metroid like Gameplay. The end result is close to perfection. Fantastic job to the developers. I cannot find any real flaws with it, right now. Yes its retro but its done remarkably well. Now... if only they would be willing to make a "Ninja Warriors Again" using this gameplay style.
  4. Feb 19, 2014
    The game has problems running in full screen at some resolutions, but Borderless Gaming fixes this completely. It will also only natively support X-input compliant controllers (meaning controllers that work like the Xbox 360 controller), or allow you to use your D-Pad for movement instead of the left stick, but XPadder and X360CE again fix both of these problems completely (i've beenThe game has problems running in full screen at some resolutions, but Borderless Gaming fixes this completely. It will also only natively support X-input compliant controllers (meaning controllers that work like the Xbox 360 controller), or allow you to use your D-Pad for movement instead of the left stick, but XPadder and X360CE again fix both of these problems completely (i've been playing both with my controller's d-pad and with a full-Seimitsu arcade stick without any issues). For 15 bucks this game is an absolute masterpiece. Looks good, runs at a 100% constant 60fps with midrange DirectX11 hardware and is just a blast to play all the way through. At almost seven hours in, I'm still not done with the game, so if you like to explore like I do, you'll get over 8 hours just on your first campaign playthrough not counting the extra modes and difficulties. BUY THIS GAME! Expand
  5. Feb 20, 2014
    Best reboot of a game I have played in years. Double Felix got it right! This feels and plays like the Original from 1989. The music is awesome , sound and effects are all topnotch. The price is also fair for being an arcade game . Instant buy!!!
  6. Feb 25, 2014
    The animations - from the smoke effect, to the rapier, to the jumping and running animations - are just outstanding. The polish is there. The game play is intuitive and organic...making each experience feel unique. It's a throwback, and if you loved the original, it will make you smile. Only down side is slight repetition on level design.
  7. Feb 21, 2014
    I have been desiring a game like this for a long time. A long time metroidvania fan this is a smooth enjoyable experience. I hope the sales of the first convince them to design a second longer iteration with even more good stuff. I keep hoping for the next Aria of Sorrow or Metroid Zero mission and this is close enough to get $15 out of my wallet.
  8. Mar 15, 2014
    It's Metroid, but with a faster, energy-blade wielding, cyber ninja protagonist. It has exploration, cool upgrades, and very challenging boss battles. The only downsides are the paper thin plot and cheesy dialogue, but the rest of the game is so much fun that I didn't care.
  9. Sep 16, 2014
    Met an exceeded my expectations, then slapped me in the face with a forgettable 'zombie-ish' part, but apologized with a very simple and bad-ass ending. Forgiven.

Not much to say that previews don't say. Super Metroid style future-ninja action platformer. Almost every boss is exciting, all power-ups are useful, and they don't overdo it with collectables. Near perfect. Marked

Near perfect. Marked down because I would like more enemy variety, and color-coded shields were uninspired.
    [also, what are zombies doing in my future-ninja game!]
  10. Mar 13, 2014
    Great game,fluid combat.There are tons of upgrades which are very useful and cool.This game deserves a 8,5 but will only have a 7.It is very buggy ,crashing all the time.Not using full screen and decreasi g the graphic resolution improves the situation.Still it is a great game
  11. Mar 19, 2014
    Strider is a fast paced fun side scrolling game. Game runs fluidly and never stops being fun. Combat is a blast slicing and dicing through guys and killing mechs. Adventuring through this game is also never tedious abilities help with that using different effects, blades and jumping is the game we wanted. For all the problems I have had with Capcom games in the past is forgotten in thisStrider is a fast paced fun side scrolling game. Game runs fluidly and never stops being fun. Combat is a blast slicing and dicing through guys and killing mechs. Adventuring through this game is also never tedious abilities help with that using different effects, blades and jumping is the game we wanted. For all the problems I have had with Capcom games in the past is forgotten in this faithful reboot of the series. Game does have issues with cut-scenes being out of place and feeling cheaply made. But this is a game that doesn't cost much also so not paying the $50-$60 for typical new games does remedy that much. Please play with either a Mouse/Keyboard or X-box controller because no issues are bound with either.

As always game was played on a I-5 Comp with a Radeon 7k 3D card so if you have better or equal spec it will run great.
  12. Mar 14, 2016
    Strider is a 1990s-style Metroidvania made with the technology and game design sensibilities of the 21st century. A solid and attractive platformer built around a rather nonsensical plot, the game runs the player through a variety of environments as they slowly unlock new abilities for the main character, allowing them to access more and more of the world in a fairly linear fashion.Strider is a 1990s-style Metroidvania made with the technology and game design sensibilities of the 21st century. A solid and attractive platformer built around a rather nonsensical plot, the game runs the player through a variety of environments as they slowly unlock new abilities for the main character, allowing them to access more and more of the world in a fairly linear fashion.

This game takes the design of Metroidvania games and does it much better. Backtracking? There isn’t much of it here; the game is designed to take the player on a linear route through the world, and while it feels nice and convoluted, the overall amount of backtracking is very minimal. This is an excellent piece of game design that many other Metroidvanias could learn from; the only real backtracking required is a few areas which have to be unlocked by later abilities.

The core gameplay itself is pretty enjoyable. The platforming feels good, you can climb along the walls and ceilings, there aren’t too many bottomless pits, the enemies are reasonably varied, there are tons and tons of bosses (about one every half hour or so), with new enemies introduced like clockwork in the meanwhile. The game is always kept feeling fresh, and at the end, you get to put all your skills to work taking down the big bad.

The game has decent voice acting, but the plot itself is pretty much nonsense; it isn’t really clear what is going on beyond “There is a bad guy who is in charge and you need to kill him.” Who sent Strider? Who are all these people? Why is the big bad doing what he is doing? Who knows? Who cares? It doesn’t matter!

Your goal is to cut your way through his minions, and the game employs you admirably in this.

Overall, this is a pretty great game. The graphics ae solid, the game is the right length for what it is and doesn’t feel stretched at about 9 hours to 100% it, the protagonist has a reasonably diverse set of skills which can be employed in a few different ways to make your way through the levels and beat down the bad guys – if I had a complaint, it would be that the standard game difficulty might have been a touch on the easy side at times, but overall, it wasn’t really an issue. Checkpoints were pretty generous and never really felt like they set you back too far even if you did fail.

Was it perfect? No. But I had fun playing it, and the game had excellent pacing which kept me interested and kept me wanting to play after I got rolling through to the very end, even though it gave me many, many possible break points to choose from.

All in all, this is a great reboot, and the game was really quite fun and was worth the 9 hours I invested. It isn’t something with a great story, but the core gameplay was pretty much exactly what I was hoping for from a game like this.
  13. Jul 12, 2015
    Very nice 2d action. This reminds me of games I played when I was a child, but with improved graphics. The only problem I found that the game is quite long - I didn't make it to the end.
  14. Nov 28, 2015
    Fantastic reboot! I was hoping Double Helix wouldn't screw this game up and I wasn't disappointed at all. I loved Strider 2 on PS1 back in the day and this reboot does the series justice! It feels like a mix between Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Mega Man X but still has the feel of Strider. This game for being only $15 packs a whole lot of collectables and content which is a hugeFantastic reboot! I was hoping Double Helix wouldn't screw this game up and I wasn't disappointed at all. I loved Strider 2 on PS1 back in the day and this reboot does the series justice! It feels like a mix between Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Mega Man X but still has the feel of Strider. This game for being only $15 packs a whole lot of collectables and content which is a huge plus. It's fun, fast paced arcade style action at it's best and anyone who wants a game to kill a few hours, get this one, you won't regret it.

Fans of Strider will feel right at home, and even newcomers will have a great time playing through this game, you can beat this game in about 4 hours but with all the collectables you'll probably get at least 7, well worth it for a $15 dollar game! Honestly if you want this game, if the trailer looks good to you, if the things I'm saying in this review convinced you....BUY THIS GAME! You will not regret it.

The gameplay is solid, the bosses are challenging but fun, and the soundtrack is great! :)

-On a side note- There's a few glitches they need to iron out, for example; I fell through the floor and was able to traverse through part of the map on inside the walls and was able to skip a chunk of obstacles getting to my next destination but that's all trivial stuff that can be fixed, so I won't fault the developers for it.

All in all I thought the game was damn near perfect in every way, if you haven't already, buy this game especially if you played Strider before, this reboot does the series justice and I'm hoping there's more of this series to come in the future. I give it a 9.5/10!
  15. May 6, 2015
    A great side scrolling game like the same games from 90! Strider was a first CAPCOM success, and this time, Strider is a great "remake" with a new storyline, new challenges and new music. A game faster than old striders thats for sure!!!

Great game just for waste your time!
  16. Mar 4, 2017
    Great metroidvania game, an awesome version of the classic of 80's, all here is well done.

PROS: Exploring with map in screen is cool + Varied gadgets + Responsive controls and fast movements + Climbing is fun + Multiple bosses

CONS: week story and final

1. Mar 3, 2014
    For now, if you don’t mind a world that’s full of rather bland environments, feeling contradictory to the game’s intense, blistering action, then jumping into the ninja boots of Strider is sure to supply a fun afternoon or two.
  2. Mar 3, 2014
    It's not perfect, and the chrome finish is marred by a few pacing and polish quibbles, but successfully taking Hiryu's seemingly anachronistic style into the 21st century has only proven how much he has improved with time.
  3. Feb 28, 2014
    Strider is a liberating, free-form action platformer studded with frustrating callbacks to an arcade era better left behind.