7.3

1. Jan 28, 2013
    Soundtrack is phenomenal, the graphics are great, the backdrops (while static) are absolutely amazing. The voice acting reminds me of BSG characters, and the gameplay is absolutely addictive. I haven't been this pulled in by a flight shooter in a long time. The only other game I can think of is Descent 2. The original H.A.W.X. comes to mind, as well (in terms of fun).

Don't listen to
    the haters who can't handle the difficulty curve. The game isn't buggy, it's not unpolished, the UI isn't terrible (in fact, it's REALLY good!), these people are just spoiled by all the newschool games out there. This game is hard as nails and it harkens back to a time when games were meant to take more than a handful of tries to advance. If you loved Asteroids back in the day, played Descent like a crackhead, and loved spending pockets worth of quarters in the arcade--then this game is a no-brainer purchase for you. If, instead, you like to **** about how hard games are because they don't tell you where everything is/exactly how to beat the level, then maybe pass this one up and go buy Hello Kitty: Island Adventure or Smurfs & Co. instead. Strike Suit Zero is for gamers who actually want to be challenged by their games. The game has excellent keyboard/mouse controls, superb gamepad support and (my favorite) outstanding joystick support. I've been playing this with my Logitech Extreme Force 3D PRO and the experience is awesome. WARNING: The already hard game gets a lot harder when you use a joystick, but for fly-boys of old who aren't afraid of that, it's an awesome experience. If you have a Nostromo/n52/n52te keypad to go along with your joystick, then you're about to have one sick, specialized peripheral romp in space mecha wonderland. 10/10 best $16 I've spent in a long time. Expand
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    The leaves maybe a little repetitive but the game-play just blows that away. I do not know what all the other reviews mean when there say its frustrating because I am not finding that. The game is a good challenge and if you are looking for a Nostalgia kick or a good space sim this is the game for you.
  3. Jan 23, 2013
    Haven't had this much fun in an action space combat game since Colony Wars on the PS one. Lots of action and some fantastic colourful graphics. Weapons feel fantastic and youll love the missiles. Favourite features include the strike suit mode and the targeting system for your main guns. Very useful system insuring you hit the target instead of spraying wildly into space.
  4. Jan 24, 2013
    With great music, a polished and easy to use set of controls this game is really amazing for a KickStarter funded project. If you ever wanted to play as an interceptor in a HomeWorld game, now is your chance :)
  5. Jan 28, 2013
    I was hesitant to buy this game because it wasnt getting glowing reviews and after buying it I can somewhat see where a few of the negative reviews are coming from but overall I think this is a GREAT game. The negative aspects that I feel are somewhat justified are that the missions are a bit too long and it can be a difficult game at times, but I feel like in Dark Souls that kind of difficulty is what makes this game good in a way. If it was any easier I think people would be crying its too easy, and you can replay the missions with different types of ships so if you want to increase difficulty you could always use a less powerful ship and in turn it would make the mission more difficult. Now having said the negative aspects, I think we can all agree the game looks absolutely gorgeous! It has amazing graphics and I really, really enjoy the game play. I think one of the most accurate video reviews was the one made by Gamespot and how they said it can be somewhat slow until you get your Strike-suit but then it goes full speed and never looks back, I would totally agree with that assessment and would go as far to say the slowness at the beginning is required for learning to play it well. I also think it has a pretty great story line, but maybe that's just me. I have really missed the good games this genre had been putting out in the past like Wing Commander and if you ever liked any of the Wing Commander-like games then I think you will love this game. I can truly say I am glad I bought this game and will enjoy playing it for many days to come. Expand
  6. Feb 3, 2013
    The first hour alone was worth the price of admission. A game controller is a must! I highly prefer first person views in general, and the game supports it very well via visual and audio/voice cues. It's so nice to have roll control.
  7. Jul 14, 2013
    DON'T LISTEN TO THE CRITICS! THAT ARE SO FULL OF ****
    LISTEN UP, THIS IF YOUR LOOKING FOR SEXY GRAPHICS OF SPACE, WITH InTenSE!!! AND I MEAN INTENSEEEEE ACTION SHOOTING LIKE A MOTHER FOR 6 HOURS STRAIGHT TRYING TO BEAT IT, YOUR MONEY IS ALREADY WELL WORTH IT. EVEN A HAPPY MEAL CAN'T EVEN MATCH UP TO WHAT YOU GET!
  8. Jan 26, 2013
    A brilliant, beautiful, and thrilling throwback to the early 2000's, when space flight sims of all kinds and colours graced the PC market. And I, as a massive fan of those games, welcome this return to some of the most fun I've ever had. If you enjoyed games like Tachyon, Freespace, and Dark Horizon (though I may be the only person to like that one) then this is definitely a worthy and nostalgia-inducing purchase. Expand
  9. Jan 29, 2013
    Great space combat controls that blend together well with the mech transformation mode. Battles are always a great visual treat as the screen fills with fighter trails and a hailstorm of missiles, Itano Circus style. It's like this generation's version of the PS2 Macross game.
  10. Jan 25, 2013
    A good story
    a bit of a problem with the text ,for instance "you are being moved forward" When in fact what they ment was "you are being sent to the front" - the first one feels like someone who doesnt speak english
    great graphics and a solid game ,i have to admit i loved flying the fighter more then the super fighter/robot thing
    but its fun
    in total , a good game
  11. Jul 15, 2013
    It's a shame people don't understand why this game is fun. Get 3x 27" screens and an X52 Pro flight sim controller and sit back with a glass of the good stuff and enjoy. Critical comments need not apply as this is my opinion. So trolls beware! I know where you live..... under bridges!

I have first hand experience with this game on the Oculus rift and its spectacular, mind boggling,
    unbelievable, immersive and unprecedented fun!
    It's easy to get your hands dirty in this game and yes there are spikes of difficulty but who gives a monkeys? Games are not meant to be mindless easy things that any brain dead chimp can complete at the drop of his top hat and monocle. Welcome to something that can only be classed as ground breaking good fun!

The staff on support were hands down excellent when I was having some issues with my trip screens and flight sim controller, this was a definite plus considering getting info out of most developers support is like getting blood from a stone.

I say go Indies go! Screw the AAA titles its the same old rubbish being recycled for the mindless drones out there who have no imagination or taste in terms of games. This is an indie dev that has shown us something enjoyable and fun. They should be given a good old pat on the back and commended for such an excellent contribution.

Thank you Born Ready!
  12. Jul 21, 2013
    Ignore the negative reviews, the game is fantastic, it is not too difficult, but you can turn it down to easy if its too hard for you. The fov is adjustable, controls are totally customizable, seriously some of these negative reviews are full of completely false information.
  13. Dec 21, 2013
    This game is awesome! Controls are great, graphics are great, and most of all, the action is great!

It's not difficult at all! Honestly if you find this game too difficult, you aren't very good at flight based games. It's actually a bit too easy at times, but I look forward to trying the harder settings.

In the area that matters for this style game, GAMEPLAY, this game delivers!

One final note: there is NOTHING wrong with the way checkpoints are set up, some people want super easy games, this game is challenging. Learn2play.
  14. May 4, 2013
    Don't know whats with the critics because this game was great. A little bad with story but it was a great arcade game which brought me back to the space theme in games which I enjoyed as a child and also the graphics were amazing considering the intensity of the combat, stayed good throughout!
  15. May 16, 2013
    When I first played, I would've rated this game a 4 because it was extremely hard, the checkpoints are ridiculous and the upgrade system is confusing. But it was extremely addicting. There are some "certain missions" (not going to spoil it) that really punish you for not having skill. However, after playing for a week, I finally got the hang of it. I don't want to brag, but I can proudly say I have unlocked all the upgrades and medals. The checkpoints don't seem to bother me much anymore.

So for a casual gamer, this game is extremely difficult and confusing. But if you have the time (in my case, I no-lifed the game), in the long run, you'll enjoy it a lot.

Plus, the setting is gorgeous. Unlike most space games, the background isn't just simply black, stars, the sun, and the occasional planet. No, it is vivid beauty asteroid fields, nebulas, asteroid fields in nebulas, exotic planets, destroyed planets, etc., and the backdrop isn't black. Sometimes it's a neon dark blue, orange, silvery-blue,sometimes with space clouds that glow. Plus, the background is one enormous gif. The developers seem to put stories in the backgrounds. But I'm not going to spoil that for you, you have to see it yourself to find out.

For those complaining about the brightness, sensitivity, and controls, may I suggest simply going to the menu and changing the settings and keybinds to your preference?

If I'm not mistaken, this game was developed here in the U.S.? Well I bet it's making the Japanese jealous.
  16. Jul 20, 2013
    This game is fantastic so far. It's a fun arcade feeling type of space shooter. I've been waiting for something to capture that same feeling of excitement and intensity of Rogue Squadron from back in the day. It's been years, and finally Strike Suit Zero comes along to fill the void.

I've been playing with an xbox controller and the controls feel easy and intuitive. The graphics are
    nice and the overall feel of the game captures the mood they are trying to push. Dog fighting in space is as fun as it sounds.

Furthermore, they are going to support the Oculus Rift, which will be more than I could have ever dreamed for. It's a great time to be a gamer.
  17. Jul 19, 2013
    I love this game, Is a best space combat simulator in years. The first missions not reflect the game's Vertigo and fast attacks. Search and destroy options. If you buy the DLC "raptor".
    if you buy "raptor" see new opportunities to destroy your enemies.
       Strike Suit infinity (expansion) is the best of this game.
    Enjoy and don´t listen the bads critics, and test for yourself this game
  18. Jul 19, 2013
    This game reminds me of Macross (Art Style) Homeworld (Music, Characters), Armored Core (Ship Modules) and Wing Commander(Combat Mechanics). If you are a fan of any of these you owe it to yourself to get this game. Very enjoyable and great way to indulge your space game fix.
  19. Mar 10, 2014
    I held off buying Strike Suit Zero for a long time because I figured there was no way it would be as cool as it looks. Seeing it on sale at Steam was the final nudge I needed to pull the trigger and I can now say it is actually cooler than it looks. I’m sorry I waited so long to pick up this title.

SSZ will appeal to anyone who was a fan of games like Rogue Squadron or Colony Wars on
    the PS One. It’s not quite up to level of depth that X-Wing or Wing Commander had since this is more arcade shooter than simulation. If you liked those games, though, I’d still recommend SSZ since the whole space dogfighting genre seems dead and you won’t find better nowadays. SSZ has fluid and intense gameplay with great graphics & music. Voice acting is spotty but not bad.

The controls may take a little getting used to but once you master them you’ll feel like a boss in the titular Strike Suit. Spamming your swam missiles has a very Robotech/Macross feel and never gets old. I played this with a Xbox 360 controller for PC and found the controls very tight & responsive. No idea what happened to some other reviewers who say the controls are clunky. They may be trying to play with keyboard & mouse but I learned long ago rule #1 of space shooter games is to bring a joystick or gamepad.

The missions have a nice variety and are thrilling to play through. The narrative is pretty solid, too, and keeps you interested in moving along. You get scored on each sortie and can also unlock a particular upgrade if certain optional goals are met. Once you beat a mission, you can replay it using any new fighter craft or weapons you’ve unlocked. Some people complain the missions get repetitive and are impossibly hard. I didn’t find them repetitive and they may be too hard if you don’t get any ship upgrades. I’ll admit I went back & switched the difficulty to easy mode to pick up a few, which is an option for anyone who thinks it’s too hard.

Best of all, there are checkpoints inserted into the sometimes lengthy missions. This is a welcome feature since you don’t have to keep replaying the same thirty minutes of a mission over & over again when only the last five minutes are giving you trouble. Checkpoints are frequently placed right at those optional parts required to unlock upgrades which again is very nice since, if you miss the optional goal, you do not have to start the entire mission again from the beginning.

SSZ isn’t a perfect game but some reviewers are going overboard on their criticism of it. This space & sci-fi combat genre is one I miss a lot and I’ve had a blast playing this game. If you are a fan of any of the titles I mentioned above, you should definitely pick it up. It feels like a blast from the past & a new experience at the same time.
  20. Aug 28, 2013
    one of the best games I ever played.It got all what I want space ,aircraft (spacecraft now lol) and gundam like mechs what do you want more it is a little bit hard ...but it is fun to play it and it is challenging
  21. Sep 25, 2013
    If X-Wing and Freelancer would have a son, and Macross and Homeworld became a godparents, it would be Strike Suit Zero. A piece of pure awesomness arcade space action in a real 3D environment with incredible music and intuitive K+M controls.
  22. Oct 25, 2013
    It's a great game! While there are a few issues with graphics (starting in windows mode instead of fullscreen & going full white screen) & sound (If level is started right after loading has finished, sound fails to fully initialize), the gameplay is excellent and very Gundam like in its play. The ability to play with the Strike Suit and target lock multiple enemies/points makes gameplay quite enjoyable. You'll be holding your breath trying to multi-task objectives and keeping ships intact. You're the center of the action. Expand
  23. Feb 4, 2013
    While the graphics are not up-to-date and the difficulty may seem unfair at different points, I am still having quite a lot of fun with this game.
    The concept of having to replay old missions to unlock essential upgrades is not really optimal as it breaks up the storyline before you even have it finished, but finally getting that upgrade is really satisfying.

The game is also demanding
    some skills as you constantly have to switch between weapons, adjust your throttle, evade missiles/gunfire and master the strike mode with completely different controls, but that's actually a good thing. Collapse

1. Apr 16, 2014
    In conclusion, as a small downloadable title there is much to like about Strike Suit Zero; its story is interesting if awkwardly told, and its gameplay is finely-tuned and worth revisiting.
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    I’m under the impression that Strike Suit Zero’s developers paid attention to aspects of the game that, although important, like graphics, music, presentation, were not the truly essential ones- thus leaving important elements, like gameplay, A.I and action, to chance. [March 2013]
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    If you want to spend a night out with FreeSpace 2 in a slinky red dress, this is your game. Just don't expect thrilling dinner conversation. [March 2013, p.84]