Super Meat Boy PC

8.3

1. Aug 26, 2016
    Absolutely one of my favorite games. Totally challenging but very satisfactory. Controls are snappy as hell, levels are very well designed and music is superb! There should be more indie like this. Re-playable at any moment!
  2. Aug 9, 2016
    Super meat boy is definitely a masterpiece... and a good challenge!

The Good: -Good pixel art -Nice soundtracks -Very good and responsible controls -Fun, challenging and addictive -Unique boss battles -Funny cut scenes -Replay of your deaths after beating a level -Amazing level design -A lot of content, unlockables and levels The Bad: -It can be a bit hard and sometimes
    Super meat boy is definitely a masterpiece... and a good challenge!

The Good:
    -Good pixel art
    -Nice soundtracks
    -Very good and responsible controls
    -Fun, challenging and addictive
    -Unique boss battles
    -Funny cut scenes
    -Replay of your deaths after beating a level
    -Amazing level design
    -A lot of content, unlockables and levels

The Bad:
    -It can be a bit hard and sometimes frustrating because of that.

3. Jul 22, 2016
    This game is a difficult platformer. And as far as difficult games go, this is one of the best. The game is strong in level design, so this game ends ups not being very frustrating. Sometimes button presses are a bit unresponsive, especially in the later levels, which brings the frustration up, and the score down, but it doesn't ruin the experience. And when you finish the game, there'sThis game is a difficult platformer. And as far as difficult games go, this is one of the best. The game is strong in level design, so this game ends ups not being very frustrating. Sometimes button presses are a bit unresponsive, especially in the later levels, which brings the frustration up, and the score down, but it doesn't ruin the experience. And when you finish the game, there's still the dark world, bandages, warp zones, and the bonus world. The bandages and warp zones actually have a purpose, they both serve as ways to unlock characters. Which are from different games, and have different abilities. The dark world and bonus world are for bragging rights. So if your a completionist, there's still some content that will keep you entertained. Super Meat Boy is overall, worth the $14.99. It can be frustrating at times, and buttons can be a bit unresponsive, but it's not a big deal. 9/10. Expand
  4. Jun 21, 2016
    Challenging, fast paced platformer with super responsive controls.

If you have been living under a rock till now and have never heard of this game it's time to get out and see what this game is all about. And it is a good game. One of the best platformers in existence. Super tight controls and rather difficult levels are working great for this game. There is no story. Nor does it
    Challenging, fast paced platformer with super responsive controls.

There is no story. Nor does it feel like there should be. Well - there is sort of story, you're a meat boy on a quest to save bandage girl from doctor featus. Yup - that's actually what it is. But the gameplay itself is so fun and addictive it's hard to walk away from it.

The levels are fairly short but well designed. Their length however is short on purpose and it's a good thing. Because you will die a lot, but once you master timings correctly completing a level will feel really satisfying.

I highly recommend this game to anyone. Just do yourself a favour and play it with controller.
  5. Oct 24, 2015
    Super Meat Boy is an independent video game designed by Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes and developed by Team Meat. It is the successor to McMillen and Jonathan McEntee's October 2008 Flash game Meat Boy.
  6. Oct 9, 2015
    I originally played Super Meat Boy on PC and. largely thanks to issues I had with the controls, didn't enjoy it at all. With so many good reviews and it being a PS+ freebie this month I decided to give it another try and am really glad I did. It’s still as infuriatingly difficult as it once but it seems as though the issues I had with the controls were more down to my PC than the gameI originally played Super Meat Boy on PC and. largely thanks to issues I had with the controls, didn't enjoy it at all. With so many good reviews and it being a PS+ freebie this month I decided to give it another try and am really glad I did. It’s still as infuriatingly difficult as it once but it seems as though the issues I had with the controls were more down to my PC than the game itself as it controls perfectly on PS4 meaning that the (many) deaths are always my fault rather than the games.

Being such a difficult title I'd be surprised if I made it all the way to the end but I've already had many enjoyable (if that's the right word for this game) hours with Super Meat Boy.
  7. Oct 2, 2015
    Tier 2
    + Wickedly polished with some of the best game feel of any platformer
    + Challenging and visceral with aesthetics that compliment gameplay + The addition of extra characters adds some fun content to the game ? An incredibly high commitment is required for completion, only hardcore fans will try ? Difficulty curve is incredible, requires a lot of patience from players - Probably
    Tier 2
    + Wickedly polished with some of the best game feel of any platformer
    + Challenging and visceral with aesthetics that compliment gameplay
    + The addition of extra characters adds some fun content to the game
    ? Difficulty curve is incredible, requires a lot of patience from players
    - Probably inaccessible to non-hardcore players
  8. Sep 10, 2015
    To sum it up in three words: Difficult but fair. This is what a platformer game should be like. Responsive controls, very fast gameplay, and challenging obstacles. Add the cute story and cool boss fights and you got a recipe for the best platforming game. If graphics were just a little bit better, I'd gave it a 10.
  9. Mar 21, 2015
    Very fun. Difficult but rewarding gameplay that occasionally borders on frustrating. If you want a more relaxed experience stick to the "light world" levels.

Great fast pace and wall-jumps.

You can re-map the key bindings by editing files, which you will want to do for a keyboard setup.

Gave me 60 hours of fun, 17923 deaths, highly recommended.
  10. Mar 9, 2015
    Have you ever picked up a video game and instantly fell in love with it? I have, and growing up in the early 90's with popular consoles like the 'Super Nintendo' and the 'Sega Genesis' have given many platformers extremely nostalgic feelings for me. Then I got older and video games changed just as much as I did and when I came back to them many years later I found that they had turned intoHave you ever picked up a video game and instantly fell in love with it? I have, and growing up in the early 90's with popular consoles like the 'Super Nintendo' and the 'Sega Genesis' have given many platformers extremely nostalgic feelings for me. Then I got older and video games changed just as much as I did and when I came back to them many years later I found that they had turned into something that I didn't understand, appreciate, or recognize. Every game seemed to blend in with the ones around it, and I wasn't all that happy with the majority of games that I was playing. This is the game that changed that.

'Super Meat Boy' is easily one of the best games that I have ever played and rivals some of the greatest platformers of all time like 'Mario Bros', 'Castlevania', 'Mega Man', and so on and so forth. This game put 2D platforming, along with indie gaming back on the map for many people because everything about it is simply amazing. From the soundtrack, to the controls, to the level design, to the insanity of it all; 'Super Meat Boy' will keep you addicted until the very end. And just when you think you've mastered it all, you discover there are even harder versions of each and every level that you've already played. If you are at all into side-scrollers this is a must buy. Hell, this is a must buy even if you aren't.
  11. Mar 2, 2015
    Its fun, addictive, and extremely difficult. Its a throw back to the hard core days of gaming in the 80's, therefore the difficulty is justified. But don't worry, there are no lives, so don't worry about messing up.
    Go play it.
  12. Jan 2, 2015
    This is an amazing game that is personally one of my favorites if not my favorite. I see a few reviews bashing it for its difficulty. Disregard these! Do NOT buy this game unless you are into extremely difficult trial and error based gameplay. That is what the game is known for. Even years after I got the game I'm still having fun with it. I'll admit you certainly need to get in shape toThis is an amazing game that is personally one of my favorites if not my favorite. I see a few reviews bashing it for its difficulty. Disregard these! Do NOT buy this game unless you are into extremely difficult trial and error based gameplay. That is what the game is known for. Even years after I got the game I'm still having fun with it. I'll admit you certainly need to get in shape to try any of the harder levels, but that comes quickly. I love all the crazy achievements of the game, and personally I think it is one of the best deals out there. For just a couple of dollars and a lot of patience you get basically unlimited entertainment. My ONLY complaint is the fans. Some levels contain fans, and I think they are a little unpredictable at times. This isn't a major problem though. Aside from this, the game runs perfectly. In terms of stress on the computer it is very light. I can easily run it with 60 fps on my 5 year old macbook (yes I know that isn't your ideal gaming machine). Wait for a steam sale, and snag this game next time its cheap!!! Expand
  13. Nov 15, 2014
    Distilling platforming to its purest essence, Super Meat Boy is challenging but never unforgiving or unfair. The levels are short and sweet, and the sheer amount of them provide endless hours of fun.
  14. Aug 23, 2014
    I am all about platformers, especially challenging ones. If you hate the feeling of dying over and over again, missing precise jumps by a HAIR and maybe I'll finally get it on my hundredth try SON OF A **** I WAS THIS CLOSE THIS GAME IS STUPID AND UNFAIR ARGH SMASH THE CONTROLLER then you will not like this game. However, if you love the feeling of finally NAILING IT, the overwhelmingI am all about platformers, especially challenging ones. If you hate the feeling of dying over and over again, missing precise jumps by a HAIR and maybe I'll finally get it on my hundredth try SON OF A **** I WAS THIS CLOSE THIS GAME IS STUPID AND UNFAIR ARGH SMASH THE CONTROLLER then you will not like this game. However, if you love the feeling of finally NAILING IT, the overwhelming sense of accomplishment that is the reason we play these games, then there is nothing better than Super Meat Boy. You'll hate it most of the time, but when you love it you will LOVE IT!

The art is very well done. The characters are likable, the environments very interesting and the cut scenes are pretty funny. The music is excellent, if I was the type to listen to game music around this would be on my phone. What takes center stage is the control. Meat Boy is an extension of yourself and will do exactly what you tell him to. I can't rave about this enough. When you're flying through the air you can feel it. When you're sticking to a wall you can feel it. It's a superb achievement by the developer(s). There are also tons of levels, great variety in level design and mechanics, plenty of unlockables (including the unbelievably hard to get protagonist from I Want To Be The Guy, took me hours to get him), plenty of secrets... right now Steam says I have played 56 hours, pretty remarkable for a platformer.

I thought about rating this a 9 for one simple reason - an extremely frustrating bug that would make certain game objects (like walls of buzz saws) move too fast to get some secrets. I think it was a problem with the objects moving based on a fixed frame rate for the xbox that didn't translate correctly to PC. I was able to work around it somehow - it was a while ago and I don't remember what I did - but it was EXTREMELY frustrating. I wouldn't be surprised if this problem was patched by now though.

Read my first paragraph again. If it rings true for you then you already know you need this game.
  15. Jul 21, 2014
    Super Meat Boy is designed around one thing, platforming. It does this supremely well, and everything else in the game is designed to augment and enhance the platforming experience.

As you might imagine, the game play is everything here, and it’s perfectly executed. The controls take time to get used to, but once that happens (10+ hours in) you will be able to understand and exploit levels implicitly. Also, as you might have heard, SMB is HARD, especially on the final world and dark worlds. However it is always fair to you. It never tries to trick you or ambush you, levels never change, and you know that if you die it was your mistimed keystroke/button-mash that did it. The fun comes from trying out new strategies to get through the assault course before you, and the joy you’ll feel from completing a level you’ve been stuck on for the last 45 minutes is unlike many other gaming experiences. This sets it apart from games like "I wanna be the guy" which is an exercise in masochism. Also, once you die, and you will die a lot, the level immediately resets, which cuts down on the boring waiting between level attempts (only the warp zones and glitch zones don’t which is kind of annoying).

The sound design is phenomenal. Seriously, phenomenal. I can't think of many other games that have such a well crafted score, especially for an indie game. It always captures just the right mood for the level you are in: easy, difficult, zany, hectic, epic, cute, apocalyptic, tense, it's all there. It also makes it easier to replay a level for the 50th time since you get to listen to such a great track again. The music style is fast paced and reminiscent of old arcade games, which is a nice nod to its roots.

The story is not really designed to be immersive, like many other A* games out there, but instead provides a very enjoyable backdrop for your platforming, full of quirky humour and irreverence. The lightheartedness of the story perfectly offsets the brutal difficulty of the game, and the humour makes you laugh when you should be throwing your controller across the room. The characters never speak, but the story is conveyed through facial expressions and a narrator, both contributing to an arcade like atmosphere that doesn’t take itself too seriously, making for an awesome game.

The graphics, much like the soundtrack, are not the centre of the game, but make the platforming easier and more enjoyable. The sets are colourful and vibrant, and each world has its own distinctive theme to it. Contrast between platform, player and background is good and crisp, meaning you won’t get confused during your hectic level dashes. The cinematics between worlds are high quality and serve to move the story along.

Even once you beat a level, that’s not it. There’s so much more to do to unlock other interesting characters and achievements. Beat the level timed runs, collect bandages, beat the dark worlds, beat warp zones, beat glitch zones, and for those who’s badassery is measured in MCkN (mega Chuck Norrises) and have already done all that, go on Super Meat Boy world/Teh Internets and try to complete some of the fan made stuff there.

It’s also really nice to see characters appearing from other indie games, included as additional unlockable characters with special abilities that your titular protagonist does not have. This allows you to try out another character if super meat boy can’t get that one bandage you need to collect.

This game should really get a 10, and is the best platformer I’ve ever played. Why only a 9 then? For me at least, it’s the buggiest game I’ve ever played. I play the steam version on Windows Vista, and crashes during loading are commonplace, though thankfully not often during very long and difficult levels. I don’t know if its Steam’s fault, since I’ve had problems with a number of incompletely function Steam versions of games (e.g. Max Payne), but I can only rate my experience, so there it is.

Now, Super Meat Boy is not a broad game. If you don’t like platforming, don’t buy it. If you don’t like a game to test your resolve and challenge you skill to their limits, don’t buy it. It is a tightly formed, focused, perfectly crafted, exceptionally fun platformer and its completion is designed to be a badge of honour letting the internet know how awesome you are.

Buy it. Try it. Get killed. Lots.
  16. Jun 26, 2014
    In my opinion this is one of the two best platform games ever made; the other being Super Mario World. The controls are intuitive and responsive. You die a lot but it never feels unfair. It's a tough game but you always feel a few tweaks, a bit more practise and you'll beat the level. The level design is brilliant and the difficulty curve progressive. You'll look back at levels you thoughtIn my opinion this is one of the two best platform games ever made; the other being Super Mario World. The controls are intuitive and responsive. You die a lot but it never feels unfair. It's a tough game but you always feel a few tweaks, a bit more practise and you'll beat the level. The level design is brilliant and the difficulty curve progressive. You'll look back at levels you thought challenging an hour ago and chuckle at how trivial they now seem. In summary a brilliant game that will give you sweaty hands! Oh .. don't play without a controller. Expand
  17. Jun 22, 2014
    It's an awesome game! One of the best games that I have played!! I really enjoy it and I would definitely recommend it.
    However, let me warn you, it's a difficult game, I looked into my statistics and I have died already 2000 times when I was into 7 hours of play (which include video, loading time, and level control selection)!
  18. Jun 10, 2014
    Magnífico juego para ver gran cantidad de mecánicas de los juegos de plataformas. Muy interesante para desarrolladores que quieran hacer un juego de este tipo. Buena compra calidad-precio.
  19. May 26, 2014
    My absolute #1 game of all time, the controls are completely fantastic and the way you move is exactly how a 2D platform is supposed to function, and with over 200 levels and an online mode, this game is amazing.
  20. Apr 16, 2014
    Really hardcore platformer with amazing graphics and soundtrack. Handling with controller is fabulous, there was no moment when I was blaming this game for failure and it is important about games like this. Just perfect.
  21. Apr 15, 2014
    И ещё одна супер хардкорная игрушка под название Супер Мясо Пацан уже готова заставить вас заменить две а то и три клавиатуры и натереть вам кровавые мозоли на пальцах! Для гетто тащеров можно произвести замену всего компьютера по желанию :) Игра очень сложная и требует очень много времени дабы её пройти(ну или попробовать пройти). Лично я прошёл только 2 главы из всех(не помню сколькоИ ещё одна супер хардкорная игрушка под название Супер Мясо Пацан уже готова заставить вас заменить две а то и три клавиатуры и натереть вам кровавые мозоли на пальцах! Для гетто тащеров можно произвести замену всего компьютера по желанию :) Игра очень сложная и требует очень много времени дабы её пройти(ну или попробовать пройти). Лично я прошёл только 2 главы из всех(не помню сколько их, 10 или где то так). По этому я ставлю ей 9/10. И помните, если у вас слабая психика и вы не хотите загубить и её - не играйте в Супер Мясного Пацана!!! Expand
  22. Apr 5, 2014
    um dos melhores indies já feitos, simples, uma ótima jogabilidade, perfeito, um dos seus únicos problemas é depois de um tempo ele começa a ficar enjoativo, ainda mais quando você está jogando atravéz de um teclado, dá vontade de quebrar o PC na parede
  23. Feb 27, 2014
    The hate-it-or-love-it-game.

I absolutely love the game. The graphics are somewhat far beyond 1995 but the characters, gameplay, achievs and also the story are freaking fantastic. Try 'I wanna be the guy' in order to check your ambition for this type of game. There is also the flash version of Meat Boy somewhere around in the web. Check your ambition before buying. Can't say it often
    The hate-it-or-love-it-game.

I absolutely love the game.

The graphics are somewhat far beyond 1995 but the characters, gameplay, achievs and also the story are freaking fantastic. Try 'I wanna be the guy' in order to check your ambition for this type of game. There is also the flash version of Meat Boy somewhere around in the web. Check your ambition before buying. Can't say it often enough.

I used x360 controller from the beginning. As the effing thing went dead I had to play with keyboard for some days. Absolutely not playable. So be sure to have som Gamepad.

I hope there will be other good plattformers coming in the future times. Until that I will continue trying to beat some of the finger-crippling hardmode levels that Super Meat Boy offers.

Now get going and kick some Fetus-asses or play some more days in Sims3 or some sort of pony riding game :)
  24. Feb 13, 2014
    Skillbased 2D side-scrolling platformer at it's finest a must have!

This will get you through some tough emotions. It will make you rage, cry, despair, break stuff but it will also deliver you an unbelievable amount of fun!
  25. Jan 28, 2014
    Great game with or without a gamepad. So much fun to play and watch others play. Very difficult but very rewarding, not the biggest fan of retro platformers but this one definitely kept me entertained.
  26. Jan 11, 2014
    Very nice by the standarts of indie game. And incredibly hard, like INCREDIBLY, I almost broke my fingers and I'm only in 2nd world lol :)
    9/10 from my point of view. Old 2d-platformer fans wont be disappointed ))
  27. Jan 2, 2014
    This is by far, the most fun I've had with a platforming game in a very long time. And also probably the best platformer from the last five years. Let me just say, I like this more than Mario. There, I said it. It is freaking better than Mario. The controls (while you might not call the arrow keys and spacebar good controls) are so fluid, that I feel like the keyboard is part of my hand.This is by far, the most fun I've had with a platforming game in a very long time. And also probably the best platformer from the last five years. Let me just say, I like this more than Mario. There, I said it. It is freaking better than Mario. The controls (while you might not call the arrow keys and spacebar good controls) are so fluid, that I feel like the keyboard is part of my hand. It's the simple joy of trial-and-error platforming. So, It's like Mario Wii, but three times harder, three times more fun, and none of that "super guide" crap that got you through the levels when you were five. I'll admit it can be a little too frustrating at times, but that just teaches you to get better. And what can be said about the music? It's good. It's really good. It's Super Mario Galaxy good. 8-Bit rock and roll per-freaking-fection good. It just adds to the amazing and frustrating experience of...

SUPER MEAT BOY!!!!
    (And sorry for comparing it to Mario so much. Mario is a natural scale of good platforming, and the only one that absolutely EVERYBODY would recognize.)
  28. Jan 1, 2014
    Perfect, beautiful, amazing, challenging, awesome, funny, probably the best platformer ever made.
    Difficult, but still fun, even when you had to try again 500 times. A must have game!!!!
  29. Dec 14, 2013
    This game was super hard platforming game which made me rage, hit my desk, and screamed at Dr. Fetus. This game gets an 8 because of the even harder controls on a PC if using a keyboard. I could not beat this game, it took me over 200 tries to complete the first boss. This game stays at an 8 because of the characters available for PC making the game easier, also you can plug in aThis game was super hard platforming game which made me rage, hit my desk, and screamed at Dr. Fetus. This game gets an 8 because of the even harder controls on a PC if using a keyboard. I could not beat this game, it took me over 200 tries to complete the first boss. This game stays at an 8 because of the characters available for PC making the game easier, also you can plug in a controller which is good too for the PC. Team Meat thanks for this game! Expand
  30. Nov 25, 2013
    Best platformer i have ever played!! Awesome fluid gameplay & creative levels.. but it is so damn HARD!! remember to use gamepad on pc as the keyboard controls suck....
  31. Nov 18, 2013
    You will die. Thousands and thousands of times. You will rage. You will throw controllers and smash keyboards. And, if you are persistent, you will know the sweet taste of victory.

Super Meat Boy is the pinnacle of platforming. Combining crisp controls with creative and (extremely) challenging levels along with tons of unlockables you'll find Meat Boy scratches the platforming itch.

If you are looking for a good platformer to finish over a weekend, think again. But if you are looking for a true test of your abilities, a test that took me almost two years to 100%, this is the game.
  32. Nov 8, 2013
    This is one of the best platforming games I have ever played. It can be quite frustrating at time, as you must restart each level if you die. Super Meat Boy is the most precise platformers I have played, and is for experienced gamers. The story line is a parody of most Mario games, and this makes it very enjoyable. Each character is very interesting and the cut-scenes are fun to watch.This is one of the best platforming games I have ever played. It can be quite frustrating at time, as you must restart each level if you die. Super Meat Boy is the most precise platformers I have played, and is for experienced gamers. The story line is a parody of most Mario games, and this makes it very enjoyable. Each character is very interesting and the cut-scenes are fun to watch. For the price this game jam packs a ton of contents and is definitely worth the money. Simply amazing. Expand
  33. Nov 5, 2013
    Fun, hilarious, challenging, inspired, and a prime example that a small team of truly driven artists can create something on par (and better in many ways) with what a lot of big name companies with huge teams are capable of. Super Meat Boy will take your hand-eye and your patience to it's limit all while you laugh at the sheer brilliance that is this game. I've honestly never had soFun, hilarious, challenging, inspired, and a prime example that a small team of truly driven artists can create something on par (and better in many ways) with what a lot of big name companies with huge teams are capable of. Super Meat Boy will take your hand-eye and your patience to it's limit all while you laugh at the sheer brilliance that is this game. I've honestly never had so much fun dying over, and over again. Expand
  34. Nov 5, 2013
    I'm not sure if I've ever slammed my keyboard as much as I do when playing this game. This game is frustrating, damn difficult and very unforgiving. I have never died so many times in a game before on a single level. Despite the extreme difficulty though, I loved every minute I spent playing this game. The levels are ingeniously detailed and varied, with many obstacles in your way such asI'm not sure if I've ever slammed my keyboard as much as I do when playing this game. This game is frustrating, damn difficult and very unforgiving. I have never died so many times in a game before on a single level. Despite the extreme difficulty though, I loved every minute I spent playing this game. The levels are ingeniously detailed and varied, with many obstacles in your way such as spinning saws and bottomless pits. The levels are also very short, so when (not if) you die, you will not have to constantly repeat huge segments. The game's music is also incredible and really just makes you want to keep playing even if you've died 50 times already on the level you're trying. This is a really great game that I can't recommend enough. Just make sure you don't break your keyboard out of frustration. Expand
  35. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is good,some people don't like it because it's hard,but that means more happiness for the ones who finished it.
    The story it's simple but amazing
    It follows the path:The girl is kidnapped,you find her,the doctor sends a monster at you and run in a different location,it repeats over and over and the you beat the doctor and go away with the girl. The unlock able characters give
    The story it's simple but amazing
    The unlock able characters give the game diversity and makes it easier but still hard.
    The music in this game is gorgeous,the music you will like and will pump you with adrenaline.
    So this game is very good and it's not old school,because it's a funny and spontaneous game with a lot of references.
    So one of the best platforming games that ever existed.
  36. Oct 1, 2013
    One of the best platformers I have ever played. Great levels with really good difficulty. There are many different characters to unlock that have special abilities. You can also unlock much harder versions of the original stages. While playing this on the PC, a controller is strongly recommended.
  37. Sep 25, 2013
    This game's the reason behind my screen name. It is amazingly difficult and addictive, as any good game should be, so you always have an incentive to play it through to the end. The story line is enticing and I grew to actually care about the characters, just like you would in a film. The ideas behind the construction of the game, levels (Having an initial "Light world" set of levels andThis game's the reason behind my screen name. It is amazingly difficult and addictive, as any good game should be, so you always have an incentive to play it through to the end. The story line is enticing and I grew to actually care about the characters, just like you would in a film. The ideas behind the construction of the game, levels (Having an initial "Light world" set of levels and when you've aced those you unlock the more challenging "Dark World" levels) is great, and the cut scenes are the icing on the cake.

tl;dr it makes mario look like a pile of arse

Probably my favourite game ever.
  38. Sep 24, 2013
    I thought it was impossible to hate a game and love it at the same time. Super Meat Boy proved me wrong. I like how they went back to the old days, when games were actually HARD. SMB contains one of toughest levels I have ever played in a platformer. The feeling of satisfaction you get when you beat a level or get an A+ rating on it is gold. The extra characters in the PC version also addI thought it was impossible to hate a game and love it at the same time. Super Meat Boy proved me wrong. I like how they went back to the old days, when games were actually HARD. SMB contains one of toughest levels I have ever played in a platformer. The feeling of satisfaction you get when you beat a level or get an A+ rating on it is gold. The extra characters in the PC version also add to some fun experimenting while using them in levels. This game is awesome. Period. You must buy it now! 10/10 Expand
  39. Aug 25, 2013
    Very good game. The level design is clever and the soundtrack is just legendary. The extreme difficulty of the game is what makes it so good, but at the same time it digs into the gameplay for me. I'm sure people will narrow their eyes and make a scolding angry face at this review because they heavily disagree and are much better at the game.

Some people like extreme challenges, and

Some people like extreme challenges, and though I do admire the difficulty of the game, I get a bit of sick of dying and replaying the same level over and over, only to finally pass it and die another 200 times on the lever after that. Fortunately, I'm not incorporating my difficulty issue into my rating. The plot behind the game is very weak and almost non-existent.

The game is creative, original, challenging and has 10/10 music, but it's not mindblowing and feels a lot like a flash game.
  40. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is just phenomenal. It brings classic, tough, platforming with a modern polish. Don't play this game if you're expecting a well written story. Play this if you're expecting one of the greatest platforming adventures of your entire life. It's runs smoothly and the platforming system is just as smooth, it's addicting, the characters are lovable, it has a high replay-ability rateThis game is just phenomenal. It brings classic, tough, platforming with a modern polish. Don't play this game if you're expecting a well written story. Play this if you're expecting one of the greatest platforming adventures of your entire life. It's runs smoothly and the platforming system is just as smooth, it's addicting, the characters are lovable, it has a high replay-ability rate due to the massive amount of extra content included. And, if you purchase on Steam it includes a level editor! This is the ultimate package for any plat-former fan. Expand
  41. Aug 8, 2013
    The hardest game I have ever played. However that's just what separates it from other platformers, its rewarding when you finally beat that tough level and the creative level design make it a masterpiece
  42. Aug 2, 2013
    This game is incredibly fun.

In my opinion, this is really the only measure by which video games should be rated. You might argue the graphics don't match up to a AAA title. You might argue the story is an excuse plot. You might even argue that some of the humour is immature. And you'd be right. But the game is still a masterpiece in my mind. The real genius of the game is the steep
    This game is incredibly fun.

The real genius of the game is the steep learning curve but incredibly precise controls. Although many of the levels are, quite frankly, absurdly difficult, with practice it will become clear how to progress through the level. Muscle memory is king in this game. Meat Boy becomes your avatar in nearly every sense of the word; if you play long enough, it will get to the point where you know exactly how to maneuver Meat Boy through the mazes of buzzsaws, salt, needles, lasers, and any number of other environmental and sentient hazards.

A word to the wise: if you are looking for a game that can be beaten easily and quickly, this game is not for you. If you are looking for one of the greatest platforming games ever, look no further.
  43. Jul 23, 2013
    a original game that will have you breaking everything you own in rage, comes at an amazing price, if I had to sum up this game I would say that ITS SO FUC KING HARD!!!!!
  44. Jul 13, 2013
    Overall, Super Meat Boy for the PC is an eight. Although Super Meat Boy is a simple yet great looking game with many fantastically designed levels, I feel like the game 'cheats' too much. By this I mean unfair deaths. Most of the time when a player dies, the player will feel like it is their fault for the death. And just because Super Meat Boy is challenging does NOT mean it's unfair. IOverall, Super Meat Boy for the PC is an eight. Although Super Meat Boy is a simple yet great looking game with many fantastically designed levels, I feel like the game 'cheats' too much. By this I mean unfair deaths. Most of the time when a player dies, the player will feel like it is their fault for the death. And just because Super Meat Boy is challenging does NOT mean it's unfair. I seem to die too often by the game not responding to my key presses when I jump or sway (and no, my keyboard is not wireless or cheap). The other issue that bothers me about the PC version are the control settings. There's no way to change the awkward spacing of the controls. Setting aside the rage moments, Super Meat Boy is a fun and challenging platformer with fantastic art design, epic music that will rock your socks, and overall challenging levels that will put your skills to the test. Expand
  45. Jul 13, 2013
    Truly lives up to its name of being one of the toughest platformers out there. It makes you rage a lot and I found it to be a hell of an experience playing it. There's no better feeling of beating a hard platformer for a gamer like myself. It was very long and can be played for quite some time. It is DEFINITELY worth the price if you like platformers. If you like hard platformers, marryTruly lives up to its name of being one of the toughest platformers out there. It makes you rage a lot and I found it to be a hell of an experience playing it. There's no better feeling of beating a hard platformer for a gamer like myself. It was very long and can be played for quite some time. It is DEFINITELY worth the price if you like platformers. If you like hard platformers, marry Team Meat. (The Developers) Expand
  46. Apr 7, 2013
    I HATE THIS GAME SO MUCH 10/10
    The satisfaction you get after completing a level that you've been putting off for days in the first try is what this games is about.
  47. Mar 27, 2013
    YES YES YES YES YES!

YES YES YES YES YES!

I bought this game for my friend and he hasn't been off it since, this is one of my favourite platformers ever. Even though it says you need an Xbox controller, you don't it is perfectly playable with the keyboard. The port is fantastic, gameplay is amazing and the villain.. Oh my, is one of my favourite ever. The extra retro levels are awesome aswell. If you have time pickup the level creator from steam tools and make some levels!
  48. Mar 24, 2013
    First things first: BUY A 360 CONTROLLER. Seriously. The keyboard controls are crappy. Utter garbage controls. But if you use a controller to play this game, you will have a lot more fun with this masterpiece of a game. 300+ levels, secret characters, so much in this game. Now, I have beaten more levels than all of my Steam friends by at least 50. But doing so resulted in me dying over 10First things first: BUY A 360 CONTROLLER. Seriously. The keyboard controls are crappy. Utter garbage controls. But if you use a controller to play this game, you will have a lot more fun with this masterpiece of a game. 300+ levels, secret characters, so much in this game. Now, I have beaten more levels than all of my Steam friends by at least 50. But doing so resulted in me dying over 10 000 times. THE GAME COUNTS HOW MANY TIMES YOU DIE. If you love old-school platformers, buy this game. Seriously, buy this game. Oh, I didn't leave, I'm waiting. Expand
  49. Feb 17, 2013
    I'm laughing at the negative reviews of this game, no real criticism other than general butthurt. A quality controller is a absolutely required, if you can beat this game with a keyboard you're not human. If you were a SMB speedrunner you will love this game. This could potentially frustrate today's modern gamer's who have little experience with face paced platformers. It can beI'm laughing at the negative reviews of this game, no real criticism other than general butthurt. A quality controller is a absolutely required, if you can beat this game with a keyboard you're not human. If you were a SMB speedrunner you will love this game. This could potentially frustrate today's modern gamer's who have little experience with face paced platformers. It can be very challenging but it's doable. The mechanics are flawless and the music/style is excellent. Expand
  50. Feb 14, 2013
    As long as you have a USB controller then this is the best 2D platformer you will ever play. The game is very difficult, but as someone who usually hates hard games I enjoyed this more than most platformers. The game is difficult but never unfair, it's always down to you when you die as the controls are flawless (on a controller). The game has a nice art style, cool music and has niceAs long as you have a USB controller then this is the best 2D platformer you will ever play. The game is very difficult, but as someone who usually hates hard games I enjoyed this more than most platformers. The game is difficult but never unfair, it's always down to you when you die as the controls are flawless (on a controller). The game has a nice art style, cool music and has nice homages to old NES games throughout. Overall I think unless you hate games that are super difficult give this a try It's given me hours of entertainment Expand
  51. Feb 11, 2013
    This isn't my type of game, but i'm not going to let that make me write negative things about it. Now I never heard of this game till I saw a few of my friends playing it, really enjoying it and then when I first saw this game on sale for 3.50$ on steam I got it, in the end I sure did get my money's worth, the gameplay is simple and the cutscences are cute, but I wasn't really able toThis isn't my type of game, but i'm not going to let that make me write negative things about it. Now I never heard of this game till I saw a few of my friends playing it, really enjoying it and then when I first saw this game on sale for 3.50$ on steam I got it, in the end I sure did get my money's worth, the gameplay is simple and the cutscences are cute, but I wasn't really able to complete the whole game since I wasn't that good, the challenge was to great. While playing it I discovered that this game had history behind it which is interested to play like an old arcade game. This game is very well polished the boss missions are rewarding and the time consumption is overwhelmingly satisfying. I would recommend to this to only one who are indie, platformer players because you are going to love this game. Expand
  52. Jan 27, 2013
    One of the best platformers ever made. It applies a perfect learning curve in its level design and can provide dedicated players with a huge amount of content if they're completionists or speed gamers. It has maddeningly difficult levels but provides challenges that always seem fair to the player. When you mess up you can generally feel like it is your own damned fault and not some cheapOne of the best platformers ever made. It applies a perfect learning curve in its level design and can provide dedicated players with a huge amount of content if they're completionists or speed gamers. It has maddeningly difficult levels but provides challenges that always seem fair to the player. When you mess up you can generally feel like it is your own damned fault and not some cheap trick like other difficult platformers released in recent years.

This is some of the best money I've ever spent and would highly encourage anyone with even a passing interest in platformers to give it a try.
  53. Jan 11, 2013
    Super Meat Boy is perfect platformer with awesome controls and challenging gameplay. Trying to get all achievements is the most challenging thing that I have ever tried.
  54. Jan 7, 2013
    Okay this game was made for a controller so go and buy one if you really want to get the full effect of this game. This game is just a masterpiece hands down one of my favorite games of all time. I can never see this game getting old to me even after I beat the game. Yes the game has some flaws but what games don't. The flaws are not game breaking. If you like a game that is challengingOkay this game was made for a controller so go and buy one if you really want to get the full effect of this game. This game is just a masterpiece hands down one of my favorite games of all time. I can never see this game getting old to me even after I beat the game. Yes the game has some flaws but what games don't. The flaws are not game breaking. If you like a game that is challenging and rewarding all at the same time then this is the game that you will want to play. If you like this game also if you haven't already go watch Indie Game The Movie. GO PLAY THIS GAME!!!!!!!!! Expand
  55. Dec 31, 2012
    This game was made with passion and hard work, I bought it after seeing the Indie Games movie, just by looking at their eyes while they talk about their life and their passion for the game was enough to me to give it a try. And I'm glad I did, this game has soul, despite the old school graphics (which I find quite nice with nowadays improvements) Super Meat Boy brings a passionate story,This game was made with passion and hard work, I bought it after seeing the Indie Games movie, just by looking at their eyes while they talk about their life and their passion for the game was enough to me to give it a try. And I'm glad I did, this game has soul, despite the old school graphics (which I find quite nice with nowadays improvements) Super Meat Boy brings a passionate story, while not something as complicated as an RPG game, it succeeds by giving you enough to love the game and focus on the challenges of the good old plataformers. You can't go wrong with this game, unless you really hate any sort of challenge and prefer those interactive story games this game is a must. Expand
  56. Dec 24, 2012
    oh god, why did I ever buy this game? This game is very disappointing considering the $15 price tag. The levels are frustrating and hard, and instead of satisfaction for completing one, you are greeted with another equally frustrating mission. This is a game you can find online for FREE, and would probably be more fun than super meat boy. This has scarred me for life, and I am veryoh god, why did I ever buy this game? This game is very disappointing considering the $15 price tag. The levels are frustrating and hard, and instead of satisfaction for completing one, you are greeted with another equally frustrating mission. This is a game you can find online for FREE, and would probably be more fun than super meat boy. This has scarred me for life, and I am very cautious whenever I buy an indie game Expand
  57. Dec 3, 2012
    Alright so to address some of the other reviews:
    1. BUY A CONTROLLER. The game was designed for one. It is a platformer and you really need the abillity to control the variable speed with the joystick. Majority of the negative reviews I see, they complain about the controls being glitchy. On a controller, the game handles like a dream.
    2. Since when did a challenge become
    Alright so to address some of the other reviews:
    2. Since when did a challenge become masochistic? Yes it's hard, but it gets progressively harder. If the latter levels weren't hard, then it wouldn't be much of a platformer now would it?

I have completed the game to 100% and have to say that no other game in the past six or so years has given me such satisfaction upon completion. The last levels are absolutely insane, and require literally perfect execution. But if you die, it's your fault, never once could I blame the game. If you want a walk in the park cinematic experience, this game isn't for you. If you want a game that will have you jump up out of your chair and give a loud "FUCCCCKKKK YESSSS!!!!!!" that your neighbors three houses down can here, then this is the game for you.
  58. Oct 28, 2012
    This is up there with one of the funnest experiences I've had in gaming in recent times. Up there with Portal, Bioshock (1, of course), Braid and Minecraft. Different from all these games just mentioned, this game is very challenging, to the point where you may need to take a break for a couple days, and relax, go get a massage, etc., because g.d. it can be frustrating. It is a bitThis is up there with one of the funnest experiences I've had in gaming in recent times. Up there with Portal, Bioshock (1, of course), Braid and Minecraft. Different from all these games just mentioned, this game is very challenging, to the point where you may need to take a break for a couple days, and relax, go get a massage, etc., because g.d. it can be frustrating. It is a bit strange, however, the main character, the villian, really everything that is going on in this game, but it's just a reflection of the kind of material the game developers like or find amusing and what not. Really it adds a certain personality to the game, although that could be done in different ways and really doesn't affect the playing experience. Expand
  59. Oct 15, 2012
    This game takes me back to when I was a kid playing nintendo-hardcore difficulty games. Terribly addicting. Easy to pick up and hard to master with tons of replayability.
  60. Oct 3, 2012
    This game always recommend me to use a gamepad and I disagree about that gamepad thing. The game is pretty fun, another challenging game, and the level are getting harder and harder.
  61. Aug 19, 2012
    I got this game as part of the fourth Humble Indie Bundle, and like played through Forest to Hospital and then I had exams and blahblah... Anyway, I kind of got into a competition with a good friend of mine with the objective of completing this game. I won, but as I went through this game, and wrestled at the later levels (I started using my PS3 controller from Rapture - the 81st level -I got this game as part of the fourth Humble Indie Bundle, and like played through Forest to Hospital and then I had exams and blahblah... Anyway, I kind of got into a competition with a good friend of mine with the objective of completing this game. I won, but as I went through this game, and wrestled at the later levels (I started using my PS3 controller from Rapture - the 81st level - and it's really a lot better) you really start getting the hang and mastery of this game. You know every level is achievable, and they're designed brilliantly. There's always a shortcut you can take. The great thing is that it really depends on skill, not randomness, and you really get better, till you start to amaze yourself with the badass reflexes you built up. tl;dr It's a great game, with ingenious level design and a very polished gameplay, and once you get over 'the curve' it's one of the most rewarding games I've had. Expand
  62. Aug 16, 2012
    super tough. I bought a controller only for this game and it is still tough. but I have had fun playing it. it is like what would really happen if you could put real physics to a psyco-action platformer. Now what I mean by real physics is if a little guy made of meat could really run fast, stick to and jump off walls, and here is the catch, fall off platforms!!! Yes you do not stick tosuper tough. I bought a controller only for this game and it is still tough. but I have had fun playing it. it is like what would really happen if you could put real physics to a psyco-action platformer. Now what I mean by real physics is if a little guy made of meat could really run fast, stick to and jump off walls, and here is the catch, fall off platforms!!! Yes you do not stick to platforms but can fall right off if you under or over jump. No super mario world here. Expand
  63. Aug 8, 2012
    2D platformer for the mashocists out there - casual gamers need not apply. Spoiler Alert: You'll die. You'll die. Then you'll die some more. Not all that uncommon to die 20 times within a 60 second span. With arcadish throwback presentation, a hyper announcer, and levels lasting only 5-20 seconds it will keep the attention of even the most A.D.D. of A.D.D's. Quite a few characters to2D platformer for the mashocists out there - casual gamers need not apply. Spoiler Alert: You'll die. You'll die. Then you'll die some more. Not all that uncommon to die 20 times within a 60 second span. With arcadish throwback presentation, a hyper announcer, and levels lasting only 5-20 seconds it will keep the attention of even the most A.D.D. of A.D.D's. Quite a few characters to unlock to mix up the gameplay, lots of levels, lots of pitfalls, lots of bandages to search and find, and even nice homages to games past like Castlevania, Zelda, etc in the cutscene . The game tracks your best times for each level which also adds to the competitiveness as you can see how you stack up against complete strangers or the people you have friended on steam which is nice and trying to get A+ times on every level will add some nice replay value to levels you already beat. I'm only a 1/3rd of the way through and its quite a challenge. I can only imagine what horrors await me in the future levels. This is one of those games you will be proud to beat and considering it can be grabbed for under 4$ on any Steam Summer or Winter sale its a no brainer for those who are up for a challenge. (note: can be played with a keyboard but you will probably want a gamepad for this one). Expand
  64. Aug 2, 2012
    I got Super Meat Boy as part of the Humble Indie Bundle. I didn't have a particular interest in it originally, but I do enjoy platformers, so I thought it would be worth a try. As my score makes readily apparent, I'm infinitely glad that I decided to give it a go. I didn't really know what to expect from the game at first, but it far surpassed all my expectations!

As many are quick to

As many are quick to point out, the game gets pretty intensely difficult a couple of chapters in, but from my experience, it's never aggravating. I've cried out at some deaths, but more at myself for failing than anything; I've never found myself legitimately frustrated at the game itself. Even using the keyboard (although I'd love to try playing with a gamepad), I found the controls to be incredibly precise and fine-tuned. I always feel in control, and it's extremely satisfying to make an intense dash through a hazardous level for a Grade A+ completion -- and then watching my many deaths before that victory in the replay! The level design itself is beyond stellar, and I never feel disappointed with a particular course. (There are definitely some that stand above the others, of course, usually due to their memorable layout, or a particularly hard-to-get bandage.) There are lots of extra characters, although I pretty much stick to Meat Boy, save for a few rare situations -- usually for bandages that I couldn't survive collecting otherwise. They're nevertheless enjoyable to unlock, and indeed, a very specific one gave me the most difficult challenge I've faced in the game!

The game has a very basic story, which contains some crude humor that might not amuse everyone, but I found it endearing for some reason. There's definitely no reason to rate it any lower for the simplicity of the plot, however; it does its job, and it will most likely give a few laughs if you enjoy any sort of slapstick shenanigans. The game's music is something I particularly favor -- it's very catchy, energizing, and always fitting. It never distracted me from the gameplay, and really pumped me up and kept me going even after some devastating losses on the most challenging levels.

Overall, if you enjoy platforming, and are ready for a challenge, this game is for you. It won't disappoint.
  65. Jul 24, 2012
    If you don't know this game it's a mistake because it's a very very good game! It's very very difficult too but it's lots of fun and a bit of rage ! If you like challenge game, this game is for you !
  66. Jul 23, 2012
    Super Meat Boy is an instant classic. The concept is simple but well executed, and the game is fast paced and enjoyable. The game was challenging but I never felt it was unfair, which made it very rarely frustrating. Similarly, the controls for me were responsive and never felt random, again making the game feel satisfying. he level design is great. I love the collectables and bonus levelsSuper Meat Boy is an instant classic. The concept is simple but well executed, and the game is fast paced and enjoyable. The game was challenging but I never felt it was unfair, which made it very rarely frustrating. Similarly, the controls for me were responsive and never felt random, again making the game feel satisfying. he level design is great. I love the collectables and bonus levels that are hidden throughout the game, and they add a certain amount of replayability to the game. The art style is charming and the sound design is fitting. I would highly recommend playing this. It is well crafted and a joy to play. Expand
  67. Jul 19, 2012
    I played this game like 6 month ago on a friend's PC. I didn't really liked it, the handling was to messy, the game difficulty was to hard. I was basically finished with this game, but then it was included in the HumbleBundle so I got it for 1$ and I gave it another try. And this time it was like an other game for me. As soon as you're trusted with the handling the game is as fun as hell.I played this game like 6 month ago on a friend's PC. I didn't really liked it, the handling was to messy, the game difficulty was to hard. I was basically finished with this game, but then it was included in the HumbleBundle so I got it for 1$ and I gave it another try. And this time it was like an other game for me. As soon as you're trusted with the handling the game is as fun as hell. I couldn't stop playing it until I had this game on 100%. The playtime is more than enough even for the full price. After finishing all levels you can either create your own or play custom level from others. Can't give the full 10 points due to the achievements are pretty hard to get. Even after having this game on 100% I still don't have more then half of the achievements. All in all this game is perfect for people who either need a game that they can play in small gaming sessions or for people who simply like that kind of games Expand
  68. Jul 18, 2012
    Super Meat Boy

Enjoyment - 7 Difficulty - 7 (very challenging, but that's what makes it fun) Promise - 9 (everything in the description, is in the game) Replay - 7 (you can also play user made levels) Controls - 6 (tons of inertia; this is what makes it challening) Performance - 7 (I had to run in low detail or certain events wouldn't occur) Multiplayer - 5 (User made levels,

Enjoyment - 7
    Difficulty - 7 (very challenging, but that's what makes it fun)
    Promise - 9 (everything in the description, is in the game)
    Replay - 7 (you can also play user made levels)
    Controls - 6 (tons of inertia; this is what makes it challening)
    Performance - 7 (I had to run in low detail or certain events wouldn't occur)
    Multiplayer - 5 (User made levels, beating friend's times)
    Story - 8 (Meat Boy's quest is to save band-aid girl)
    Price - 9 ($15, Could be more and still be worth it)

Total points: 65/81
    Userscore: 8.02 (8)
  69. Jul 1, 2012
    Super Meat Boy is absolutely one of the most enjoyable platformer games that have come out in recent years. The early levels of each stage focus perfectly on teaching the player essential skills in how to interact with the environment to pass future levels. There's a great element of comedy within the game and an 80s nostalgia with all the nods to the great platform games that came beforeSuper Meat Boy is absolutely one of the most enjoyable platformer games that have come out in recent years. The early levels of each stage focus perfectly on teaching the player essential skills in how to interact with the environment to pass future levels. There's a great element of comedy within the game and an 80s nostalgia with all the nods to the great platform games that came before it.

This is my favorite genre of video gaming, perhaps because of that very nostalgic feel of running, jumping and avoiding obstacles. Meat Boy is great, and with a ridiculous amount of levels this game provides almost endless fun for it's very low cost. It's often on sale in Steam or other retailers so there's no excuse, if you watch a trailer or some gameplay and it looks even remotely interesting to you, trust me, you'll love it. It's quickly become one of my favorites.
  70. May 25, 2012
    The first word I tkink to introduce that game is "HARD".
    Gameplay is really fast and nervous, technical and 2D levels are well-constructed. What a pleasure!
    Don't be mad to die all the time; the way to learn is the succession of fails.
  71. May 23, 2012
    This is really a must-buy if you have patience and don't care about the storyline. The game is really fun to play but what I enjoyed most was to try to get all the achievements. I´ve played this game for about 67 hours and I still have 8 achievements left. Positive: Awesome gameplay
    Epic music
    Epic boss fights

Bad storyline
  72. Apr 15, 2012
    Greatest. Platformer. Ever.
    Greatest. Platformer. Ever.
    This game is incredibly fun and incredibly hard. The level design is perfect and very masochistic, you will die many many times, finishing the game 100% is a real tough challenge, getting all achievements is nearly impossible. The graphics are beautiful, the unlockable characters add replay value. It's very cool to compete with your friends in the highscores and find new, faster routes for the levels. Definitely one of my all time favorite games! I recommend playing it with the xbox 360 controller for windows, keyboard controls are simply not precise enough for such a game.
  73. Mar 20, 2012
    Super Meat Boy is a great game, one that is simple and quick to pick up. Everyone can play, though a tad bit graphic for kids (not that I care in the slightest). If youre a beast in platformers, then this is right up your alley. If you can barely beat a Mario game, then you might want to wait for this to go on sale, or step your game up, because chances are youll slam your desk inSuper Meat Boy is a great game, one that is simple and quick to pick up. Everyone can play, though a tad bit graphic for kids (not that I care in the slightest). If youre a beast in platformers, then this is right up your alley. If you can barely beat a Mario game, then you might want to wait for this to go on sale, or step your game up, because chances are youll slam your desk in frustration. Either way, who doesnt like seeing a slab of meat getting grinded over and over? Expand
  74. Jan 31, 2012
    This game is perfect. First of all, this is as much content as I've EVER seen in a game this price (free roguelikes aside as that would be completely unfair :D). HUNDREDS of stages, challenges, and unlockable goodies. Also, this game is hardcore. This is a real treat when the general game holds your hand with garbage like a quest compass and regenerating HP... in Super Meat Boy, if youThis game is perfect. First of all, this is as much content as I've EVER seen in a game this price (free roguelikes aside as that would be completely unfair :D). HUNDREDS of stages, challenges, and unlockable goodies. Also, this game is hardcore. This is a real treat when the general game holds your hand with garbage like a quest compass and regenerating HP... in Super Meat Boy, if you screw up, you die. Usually instantly. And it only gets harder. The learning curve is also fantastically satisfying. You will consistently get better from play. When you are playing the first boss it WILL seem difficult. After playing the next few levels if you go back you'll wonder what was so hard. You will stand back and say, "oh my god, I'm DOING this." The mechanics are very smooth, jumping, wall jumping, dashing, these are fun and for the most part the game seems very fair. When you die you'll know YOU messed up and it wasn't just something stupid due to chance. Point being, if you like video games, get this game. Also, use a controller. This game is a seven with a keyboard, a ten with a controller. Do it. Expand
  75. Jan 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has it's ups and downs. First, all the rage that is bottled up in the game. But other than that, the graphics are 2D decent, the fact that you can use other characters from other games interests the players to get more bandages, and the dark world featuring a ton more saws and rage makes the game twice as big. Expand
  76. Dec 30, 2011
    Great game, the best platforming game in years. This game will make you rage quit and you will be sayign to hate this game and you will be never playing it again. About an hour later you will start playing Super Meat Boy once again and go through the same cycle. Truly amazing game. The only major con is that the PC controls are hard to use, so you may have to dish out some more money toGreat game, the best platforming game in years. This game will make you rage quit and you will be sayign to hate this game and you will be never playing it again. About an hour later you will start playing Super Meat Boy once again and go through the same cycle. Truly amazing game. The only major con is that the PC controls are hard to use, so you may have to dish out some more money to buy a cable for your xbox controller to be used. The rest of the cons are very minor. Expand
  77. Dec 28, 2011
    This is the best platformer on Steam. Fluid control system, great puzzles and an inherent respect for mature gamers who need a challenge. I have not yet found a character that rivals the initial Meat Boy, but I'll get more bandages and see what happens.
  78. Dec 22, 2011
    Like I said for my recommendation on steam, if you love platformers..... GET THIS GAME!! Even if you normally don't, at least give it a try, like try a friends copy or something.
  79. Dec 18, 2011
    Super Meat Boy clearly depicts what is likely to happened if we do not take control of our environment. The game starts off in a pristine forest filled with squirrels and other creatures. As the player progresses through the levels it is apparent that the game is a metaphor for our destruction of the world. Slowly the scenery begins to change into a dismal industrious world filled withSuper Meat Boy clearly depicts what is likely to happened if we do not take control of our environment. The game starts off in a pristine forest filled with squirrels and other creatures. As the player progresses through the levels it is apparent that the game is a metaphor for our destruction of the world. Slowly the scenery begins to change into a dismal industrious world filled with pollution and destruction. As you progress further the increased difficulty is synonymous with difficulty needed to clean up our environment (the more we pollute the harder it will be to return to normal in the future). All in all it was a very educational experience which I recommend for all ages. First Class! Expand
  80. Dec 18, 2011
    Well, it looks like there are two camps for super meat boy. I am firmly in the camp that loves this game. I created a metacritic account, just so I could cast a vote (as it were) for this game as a fantastic game. I originally played the x-box version on a giant flat-screen tv. I had a great time, so I bought it for my home system on steam. I was very pleased that the game translatedWell, it looks like there are two camps for super meat boy. I am firmly in the camp that loves this game. I created a metacritic account, just so I could cast a vote (as it were) for this game as a fantastic game. I originally played the x-box version on a giant flat-screen tv. I had a great time, so I bought it for my home system on steam. I was very pleased that the game translated to my, far inferior, home system. The game has crisp graphics, highly sensitive controls and an intuitive level design and learning curve. Great game. Expand
  81. Nov 22, 2011
    One of the key rules of video game reviewing is you can never criticise a game because it's hard. It's basically like saying you don't like it simply because you're not good at it. I'm not the best but I got through the game (the light world and a decent amount of the dark world) even using a keyboard. It's really fun and even with the keyboard, the game controls like a dream. It did causeOne of the key rules of video game reviewing is you can never criticise a game because it's hard. It's basically like saying you don't like it simply because you're not good at it. I'm not the best but I got through the game (the light world and a decent amount of the dark world) even using a keyboard. It's really fun and even with the keyboard, the game controls like a dream. It did cause me to nearly throw my laptop on the ground but thankfully the game loads so fast when you die that you have no time to lament your last failure. So much content and addictive gameplay makes this one of the best platformers on the market Expand
  82. Nov 15, 2011
    This game takes me back when I played IWBTG. Not as difficult, but they even have an homage to that game and several other great platformers. The team who made this game is great, the bugs are few and far between, the music is great; fitting the zones' atmosphere perfectly and for an indie game, its definitely one of the better out there; easily rivals a 'big name' company.
  83. Nov 11, 2011
    I love this game. It starts off easy, but the later levels are insanely difficult, requiring you to complete multiple pixel perfect jumps etc. back to back to back. The beauty is that there isn't a punishment on death, there's no waiting, you just get straight back into another attempt. I've sunk >80hrs into this game and would heartily recommend it.
  84. Oct 18, 2011
    By far Super Meat Boy is the best platforming game to ever exist. Before i even go into the fact that there are Thousands of levels available for play from users ( like you ) or the hundreds of masterfully crafted levels, the game-play is that of absolute triumph. The storyline alone was amazing from its simplicity and the tug you could feel while playing. I have played over hundreds ofBy far Super Meat Boy is the best platforming game to ever exist. Before i even go into the fact that there are Thousands of levels available for play from users ( like you ) or the hundreds of masterfully crafted levels, the game-play is that of absolute triumph. The storyline alone was amazing from its simplicity and the tug you could feel while playing. I have played over hundreds of hours into SMB and even if it was starting to get boring the music would snap you right back into it. If there was to be a SMB sequel it would be terrifying... because there was absolutely NOTHING that made you feel still hanging by the end of the game. between the storyline with clever and hilarious cut-scenes, a level of difficulty only based on your skill, and a musical score that is beyond parallel there is nothing to even rival the mighty meat boy. Expand
  85. Oct 15, 2011
    the 4th best game of all time... and an amazing game to play. i got the ultra RARE editiion, and couldnt be happier to revive the simple run and jump ( it s been a LONG time since ive said that)
    if you like gaming, hard and old school, get get get..

97%
  86. Oct 7, 2011
    This is a fun side scrolling platforming game that will never lose its charm. Super meat boy is a story about meat boy saving his girlfriend (bandage girl) from the evil fetus boy (it may be man). This is the old fashion grind your teeth difficult games. You will play some levels more than ten times, but you will love every time. This game has precise controls even if you are using aThis is a fun side scrolling platforming game that will never lose its charm. Super meat boy is a story about meat boy saving his girlfriend (bandage girl) from the evil fetus boy (it may be man). This is the old fashion grind your teeth difficult games. You will play some levels more than ten times, but you will love every time. This game has precise controls even if you are using a keyboard (however the game will constantly tell you that controller is better). There are at least three-hundred levels that will entice you to keep on going. The boss battles are fun, but the crown jewel is definitely in the difficulty of the game. This is the kind of game that makes you pull your teeth out of anger. You will die in this game at least one-hundred times, but this game is definitely worth the purchase. it has a funny story, precise controls with a lot of content for only ten dollars, and even show a variety of guest from other indie games (such as the crab thing from half-life) that has special powers that definitely come in handy. Overall this game is an assured buy; you will never regret spending the ten dollars necessary to obtain this amazing game. Expand
  87. Sep 19, 2011
    One of the most fluid, tightest platformers in recent memory. Deaths come quick, and often, but just like VVVVVV, you're back into the action in seconds with minimal frustration. The PC version is the definitive copy of this game. Constant updates from the team, including a level editor, renders the 360 version kinda pointless. If that's your only option though, go for it!
  88. Jun 12, 2011
    A revolutionary game in the form of a distilled platformer for the ADD generation. Not only with its challenge level and precise control does it define what difficulty should really rely on in a game (player skill, not lives-based punishment), but Super Meat Boy also manages to revitalize old school platforming notions of perseverance, muscle memory, concentration, and practice to almostA revolutionary game in the form of a distilled platformer for the ADD generation. Not only with its challenge level and precise control does it define what difficulty should really rely on in a game (player skill, not lives-based punishment), but Super Meat Boy also manages to revitalize old school platforming notions of perseverance, muscle memory, concentration, and practice to almost zen-like levels (if you're willing to commit). Respawn times are also virtually nonexistent, giving you little chance to grieve over your last death. By helping put a spotlight on many other interesting games via unlockable characters, SMB has increased its replay value ten-fold and helped put a much-needed spotlight on the indie games movement. The indie development model is also celebrated here, with increased emphasis on discounts and endless content (level editor, user-created level portals). There are bosses to beat and an ending to achieve in Super Meat Boy, but it is hardly the destination of the game, something that is evidenced by the journey of 300+ timed and leaderboard-enhanced levels of pure platforming bliss that Team Meat clearly put two years of blood, sweat, and tears into. Oh yeah, and the music kicks ass. Expand
  89. Jun 9, 2011
    It's a classic platformer for the hardcore gamer. Not suitable for first time gamers, or people that are lazy or don't have quick reflexes. Most people that **** about it, are unexperienced gamers who want their games to be like "press X not to die". Super Meat Boy is a hard game, but it's only hard because you don't know how to play it. It features very sharp controls, awesome music,It's a classic platformer for the hardcore gamer. Not suitable for first time gamers, or people that are lazy or don't have quick reflexes. Most people that **** about it, are unexperienced gamers who want their games to be like "press X not to die". Super Meat Boy is a hard game, but it's only hard because you don't know how to play it. It features very sharp controls, awesome music, adrenaline pumping gameplay, features countless of stages, a good plethora of playable characters each with his own abilities and a level editor so you can make your own stages. ( Controller is not required you can change the keys to WASD or whatever you like ) Expand
  90. May 26, 2011
    Be reborned into the golden age of games. Think back to when you played Donkey Kong Country or the old Mario games. Because Super Meat boy easily brings back those memories.

Challenging, but simple indie game can easily bring back the child in you (or in my case, the 90s). The game can easily make you death count reach to the 100s, but the 10-20 second stage completion times (for the true indie gamer) more than makes up for this. A must have for gamers and players alike.
  91. May 2, 2011
    This game will kick your ass repeatedly and you'll probably die a few thousand times before completing the game, but for some reason no matter how much you die, you keep coming back for more punishment. I haven't played such a thrilling and satisfying platformer since Super Mario Bros. 3, and I'm beginning to think it may be my new all-time favorite game in the genre. Just be warned thatThis game will kick your ass repeatedly and you'll probably die a few thousand times before completing the game, but for some reason no matter how much you die, you keep coming back for more punishment. I haven't played such a thrilling and satisfying platformer since Super Mario Bros. 3, and I'm beginning to think it may be my new all-time favorite game in the genre. Just be warned that this game is VERY difficult amongst platformers and it can be frustrating to people who are bad at video games. 90% of the negative reviews are "this game is too hard it kicked my ass."

The controls are perfect; to put it simply: they put you exactly where you want to be. I went back to Super Mario and for the first time in my life I have to say the controls feel dated by comparison -- and I'm a huge fan of classic Mario platformers. To add to the fantastic gameplay is the outstanding music, beautifully gritty environments, and a really solid "arcade feel" to the theme.

The only real downside to this game lies within it's virtually non-existent story, but then again if you're playing a platformer for the story, you're doing it wrong.
  92. May 1, 2011
    This game is a total blast! Totally made for the OCD-type players that like to master speed runs. Its very rewarding when you surgically rip through a puzzle and are able to watch the replay right afterwards. I'd say its a niche-market type of game, most definitely not meant for everyone, but immense adrenaline-fueled fun for those who're into that type of speed/twitch puzzle solving. I'mThis game is a total blast! Totally made for the OCD-type players that like to master speed runs. Its very rewarding when you surgically rip through a puzzle and are able to watch the replay right afterwards. I'd say its a niche-market type of game, most definitely not meant for everyone, but immense adrenaline-fueled fun for those who're into that type of speed/twitch puzzle solving. I'm using a brand new Gamepad for it and have noticed a few control responsiveness issues, but nothing major. Seems as though many, if not most, of the people giving the game very poor ratings are playing it with a keyboard, which is pretty bad idea in the first place. Upon first purchasing it, I tried it with the keyboard and knew instantly that I would never fully appreciate this game without a gamepad. Expand
  93. Apr 28, 2011
    Should you buy this game? Yes. Despite the classic, old-school look of the game, it's still very engaging and definitely an encore of videogaming's previous retro years. Yes, it's side-scroll, but don't think it's another Metal Slug or Sonic. It's tough. You'll be navigating you small meaty hero through complicated mazes, avoiding needles, buzz saws, flowing lava and even salt. But don'tShould you buy this game? Yes. Despite the classic, old-school look of the game, it's still very engaging and definitely an encore of videogaming's previous retro years. Yes, it's side-scroll, but don't think it's another Metal Slug or Sonic. It's tough. You'll be navigating you small meaty hero through complicated mazes, avoiding needles, buzz saws, flowing lava and even salt. But don't worry, the game has a smooth learning curve. Starting from the easiest to the most brain-heating levels, you'll find that the difficulty curve will increase gradually as you'll learn to time you jump or when to sprint. And if you think meat boy can never get through a particular maze, don't worry as there are other characters with special abilities to avoid traps (though it will be less challenging and hence, less satisfying). Still, if you find yourself deeply annoyed and frustrated by the hardness of the mazes, even after repeating the whole level for a hundred times, just stop playing and resume a few hours later, after you cool down. That way you can always figure out how to get through the puzzle. Having played in the PC, i see no trouble playing this. Just the basic arrow keys for movement, space for jump and shift for sprint. It's that simple! Though the downside of the game is when you want to reach the collectables: bandages. That's when your real platformer skills will be put to the test. Overall, a must have game for all casual gamer. Expand
  94. Apr 27, 2011
    One of the best platformers I have ever played. SMB is a hilarious action packed adventure, with hours of fun gameplay, and then even more bonus levels. The game is frustratingly hard, but not so much that it makes it boring. It is filled with hilarious levels and cutscenes (not to say anything about the characters), a bunch of nostalgia and easter eggs, and some of the best gameplayOne of the best platformers I have ever played. SMB is a hilarious action packed adventure, with hours of fun gameplay, and then even more bonus levels. The game is frustratingly hard, but not so much that it makes it boring. It is filled with hilarious levels and cutscenes (not to say anything about the characters), a bunch of nostalgia and easter eggs, and some of the best gameplay I've ever scene. Well worth the extremely cheap pricetag. Expand
  95. Apr 26, 2011
    Everybody, who tell you that this game is sux just too lame for this game. I love hardcore games. I loved to play N. I loved to play DeFrag. It is hard, yeah, but it is so awesome feeling when you complete a level for A+! There is too little number of really hardcore games nowadays. All think that games should be easy. This is not f*king right. There MUST be some hardcore. And this gameEverybody, who tell you that this game is sux just too lame for this game. I love hardcore games. I loved to play N. I loved to play DeFrag. It is hard, yeah, but it is so awesome feeling when you complete a level for A+! There is too little number of really hardcore games nowadays. All think that games should be easy. This is not f*king right. There MUST be some hardcore. And this game is. You die for thousand times to complete the level, but, some time after, you can complete this level for A+ without dying. Wonderful game. Expand
  96. Apr 21, 2011
    I think game is decent and deserves to be a middle rated game as it is quite fun but very frustrating in most of the game, I use £ here, but I don't think it was worth £12 of steam for what I got I would say £6 at most.
  97. Apr 20, 2011
    Super Meat Boy is a classic throw back to how games used to be, and that is being mostly platformers and also being masochistically hard. I seriously had to practice level that can be completed in around 7 seconds for 20 - 30 minutes simply to beat it, even longer if i wanted to attain a high score (which i would recommend against trying to achieve as hackers and cheaters have ruined theSuper Meat Boy is a classic throw back to how games used to be, and that is being mostly platformers and also being masochistically hard. I seriously had to practice level that can be completed in around 7 seconds for 20 - 30 minutes simply to beat it, even longer if i wanted to attain a high score (which i would recommend against trying to achieve as hackers and cheaters have ruined the leader boards for us all with times impossible to achieve such as 0). Super meat boy isn't just about jumping through saw blades of death to rescue his beloved partner, it's also somewhat of a self teaching lesson about what the average human will put himself through just to reach the end of the game, much like our brutalized hero, spending hours upon hours just repititously playing a level over and over again, death after death until we beat it. Luckily there is another little shining star in this, as you can unlock characters by getting band-aids, getting enough high ratings on levels, or beating warp portals, and surprisingly these characters each have their own unique abilities to help the player get through these obstacle courses of impossibility.

It is a great challenge that is at the same time enjoyable for the most part.
  98. Apr 19, 2011
    For a game I put off buying until potato sack discount, I wish I would have got it sooner. This is the perfect game in every aspect of the sense. The music, controls, timing, levels, bosses, and bonus content are sure to blow away any graphically enhanced POS that you could get for the same price. This game is the perfect example of what video gaming should be, and what advances to theFor a game I put off buying until potato sack discount, I wish I would have got it sooner. This is the perfect game in every aspect of the sense. The music, controls, timing, levels, bosses, and bonus content are sure to blow away any graphically enhanced POS that you could get for the same price. This game is the perfect example of what video gaming should be, and what advances to the industry it can bring, beautifully integrated into a retro style game. The challenges the player will face is a difficulty that brings back feelings not felt in decades, creating a unique and extremely difficult playing style that demands perfection (its mega man on crack with too many saws). My favorite quote "A giant F*** You to the casual gamer" Super Meat Boy will easily crack any gamer with weak will power, or skill. If your looking for a game to play occasionally your just bending over to team meat by buying this, but anyone who has skill, experience, and love for unique games, this is just perfect. Honestly if you don't like this game your not good at video games, and its obvious that one made to be hard and frustrating will send virgin gamers screaming, but experts clawing for more, even with keyboard controls. Expand
  99. Apr 15, 2011
    Super Meat Boy is a painful game. You'll curse, you'll cry, you'll want to break your controller or keyboard at some point but it's one of the most enjoyable games to be played. Just go get it!
  100. Apr 8, 2011
    Super Meat Boy is just AWESOME! The gaming process is just very dynamic, you have to run jump, avoid traps and most importantly not die. It is a classic style 2D platformer game, and the main character is a square piece of meat. Team Meat (devs of the game) show us that they have a good sense of humor (some cut scenes are just hilarious), but most importantly they show us how 2DSuper Meat Boy is just AWESOME! The gaming process is just very dynamic, you have to run jump, avoid traps and most importantly not die. It is a classic style 2D platformer game, and the main character is a square piece of meat. Team Meat (devs of the game) show us that they have a good sense of humor (some cut scenes are just hilarious), but most importantly they show us how 2D platformers should be made. They should made DIFFICULT! And I really mean difficult. Some levels take up to a couple hundred tries to complete. Some people whine about difficulty level being too high, but I say if you don't like difficulties don't buy this game. SMB is just an ultimate challenge that you can take only if you are patient and skilled enough. Overall it's a great game that REALLY challenges you. 9/10 Expand
  101. Jul 18, 2012

Enjoyment - 7
    Difficulty - 7 (very challenging, but that's what makes it fun)
    Promise - 9 (everything in the description, is in the game)
    Replay - 7 (you can also play user made levels)
    Controls - 6 (tons of inertia; this is what makes it challening)
    Performance - 7 (I had to run in low detail or certain events wouldn't occur)
    Multiplayer - 5 (User made levels, beating friend's times)
    Story - 8 (Meat Boy's quest is to save band-aid girl)
    Price - 9 ($15, Could be more and still be worth it)

Total points: 65/81
    Userscore: 8.02 (8)

Indie gaming at its retro-loving best, with some of the most cunningly-designed and purposefully infuriating 2D gameplay of the year.
  2. Jun 1, 2011
    Blood, action, romance. Super Meat Boy Ultra Edition has got it all.
  3. May 3, 2011
    Oldschool-Jump and Run at its finest!