6.3

1. Apr 8, 2014
    This is a paragon for simplicity of design. Everything from the music to the visuals works to strengthen the experience of discovery. The game is linear for the most part which mirrors the linear nature of the actions taken by the main character. The combat is simple but fun and wields a sense of agency that I nearly ever find in most full-fledged action games. The story begs to be asked so many questions, many of which I wonder to this day, and there in lies the lasting effect of this game. The gameplay exist to deliver a lasting impression, one that shouldn't soon be forgotten. If you enjoy media that leaves you with a lasting relevance, similar to films such as Primer, Drive, etc. then don't hesitate to pick up Swords & Sworcery on any platform(although iOS is preferable) Expand
  2. Mar 13, 2014
    Superbrothers is to gaming what Adventure Time is to TV: something I just don’t get. Or maybe something you can only "get" if you're high.

Controls are bad, graphics are junk, music is forgettable, story is…well, I’m not sure there is a story aside from references to other games like Zelda. I thought this would be an amusing diversion for an evening but instead it put me to sleep.
    Literally. I struggled to finish the first part because I kept dozing off. Shocked at how many people are praising the visuals. It’s nothing but blocky pixels everywhere, allegedly arranged in “poetic” fashion. Whatever.

Superbrothers is sort of like Another World: there are action-type areas with puzzles mixed in. Except Another World is much better in every way, even the graphics, so you might as well play that instead. In fact, do anything else instead. If you have no other video game to play, read a book, surf the internet, eat a sandwich, exercise, anything. Your time will be better spent.
  3. Mar 6, 2014
    Wonderful, unique game, everything is well integrated. The music is fantastic. It would be better if it was a bit longer. But I think It is one of the best Indie games.
  4. Feb 28, 2014
    Superbrothers has very interesting cues, a superb graphical taste, but...that's just not enough to make a good overall experience, in my opinion. Gameplay was boring and sometimes annoying, it really did little to push me and to proceed to the end.
  5. Dec 10, 2013
    I don't understand all these bad reviews, the game is a unique gem of an experience with incredible visuals, moving sound design, and a story that is truly unique both in implementation and presentation.

I don't even like point and click adventures, yet I ended up buying 3 more copies to gift to friends via steam,

theres this one part where youe ven get to like improvise music in the
    forest with the ingame version of the soundtrack artist (sry forgot the name) and it literally moved me by how beautiful it was, no joke.

Anyway, good story, great graphics, great music, good gameplay, what more could you ask for? Well in my case I would ask for the ability to understand the people who gave this game 1's and 2's...
  6. Oct 3, 2013
    This game is amazing, The story is unique, The music is even more amazing and it's over-all a great game that'd I'd recommend to everyone. I don't know why people keep calling it "Hipster Trash"? I didn't see anything hipstery about it. And about the twitter thing, If you knew more about the game you'd understand. Anyways, Ignore all the negative posts and give the game a try. (I prefer the iOS version over PC.) Expand
  7. Jul 3, 2013
    Beautiful, poetic, occasionally funny, but very unrewarding and boring to play. This feels like a prototype game concept which is ready to be fleshed out into an actual game, only they skipped that and just decided to release it. I think most of the rave reviews are from people sucked in by how hard the creators tried to set it apart from a cliche fantasy/adventure/puzzle game and are overly impressed with its originality. There is very little depth to this game aside from there being a dream world mirror of the real world and the connection with the moon (I won't give away what). The game is otherwise completely linear. When you remove the nearly funny, vague stylistic narration, there's really not much to the story. Seriously, move along, this is not worth your time if it was free. Points for a great concept only. Expand
  8. Jun 8, 2013
    Amazing and beautiful, the soundtrack is enough to buy outright. The first 15 minuets had me worried, but when the music kicks in wow. Its a must by for any gamer. Short and sweet
  9. Mar 23, 2013
    I loved this game. Excellent art and music.

The controls aren't that annoying. I prefer the PC version to the mobile version.

I didn't use the Twitter integration at all, and I don't know why everybody was so annoyed by it. This game, in my opinion, should have received a much higher user score.

Headphones recommended.
  10. Dec 12, 2012
    Good bits: varied and affecting soundtrack, good field recordings of foresty sounds, experiments in graphics and animation and storytelling.... Not so good bits: The gameplay is a banal and frustrating action clickfest at times, and a pixel hunter at other times. It's forgivable and the good bits and few outstanding gameplay moments make it kind of worth trying. I think the best parts where those where I didn't have to actively play the game. Expand
  11. Nov 13, 2012
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP is a very enchanting game, despite what many other users might have you believe. The pacing, humor, art and music are all top notch. I went into the game not knowing what to expect at all, and came away more than a little pleasantly surprised. The tongue-in-cheek humor is endearing, and the plot takes on the abstract, dream-like qualities of absurdity and non sequitur. The puzzles are not difficult, and the trekking involved to travel were not long enough to instill boredom. I really enjoyed and was satisfied with my playthrough.

That being said, the game is really defined by its atmosphere. This isn't a stat-grinding RPG or a twitch-reflex FPS game. It's not a timed-jump requisite plat former or a strategy game that takes great mental acuity and focus before every move. I'd say it's much more similar to games like Machinarium or Monkey Island, but with an immersive atmosphere much more akin to Zork or Conan the Barbarian, though not quite as deep.

I find it very odd that many reviewers were off-put by the postmodernism and absurdism present within the game in 2012. Hipster-paranoia has apparently reached such heights that any sort of pastiche at all can no longer just be appreciated. Or even worse, there is the case where a reviewer can't simply accept that it just isn't their type of game and flings meaningless insults. There are games that fit the niches stated in the above paragraph. This isn't one of those, and that's part of what made it so refreshing to play, obscure etymology jokes, oblique fantasy references and all.
  12. Oct 10, 2012
    This is a weird game to review, because it does a few things really well, and a few things really poorly. The soundtrack is great, and they get a lot of mileage out of the 8 bit graphics. Some of the puzzles are okay, but the combat is painful. It's a game that looks and sounds nice, but just isn't fun.
  13. Oct 2, 2012
    Finished it. Simple gameplay that becomes repetitive and requires no skill (simply spam the button); nonsensical puzzles and plenty of walking and backtracking over and over through the same areas in a very small world. Far too little game here, and what there is isn't well executed. Why the 'perfect' reviews then? Because an indie game, with 8-bit style graphics, an atmospheric soundtrack, topped with snarky dialogue. Hipster 'gamers' rejoice, your checklist is fulfilled. Too bad gameplay isn't on the list.

14. Sep 27, 2012
    Who did this had big plans, but something went wrong, you can hardly call this "game";looks like a musical experiment.Luckily I got it with a bundle.
  15. Sep 25, 2012
    Excellent indie game ! Going through Sword&Sorcery is like reading a really good book : the atmosphere is fantastic. The gameplay and graphics are stripped to the bone, in a good way. If youhave a short attention span, this game is not for you. It's all about music, non-verbal storytelling and a smart balance between nostalgia and the will to go forward. ***BTW, you don't have to wait a whole lunar month to beat SBS&S. Just listen to what you're told during the game, it should make things easier...*** Expand
  16. Sep 21, 2012
    What a horrible game. The only redeeming quality this game has is its fantastic music/sounds. Everything else, from the graphics to the having to wait a whole lunar month to actually play a game, is just god awful. Stay away from this train wreck.
  17. Sep 8, 2012
    This is one of those games I really thought I'd enjoy but didn't. I'm the kind of niche gamer who enjoyed Wind Waker and Animal Crossing way too much. Relaxing, slow-paced games with loose goals are definitely my thing, but Superbrothers fell too short. The art style and music are fantastic and exploring is fun the few times the game allows it. Other than that, it's an empty experience. The gameplay is as bare bones as it gets. There's not really any side goals and the main quest is a string of overly simple tasks.

All 4/10 of my points are for the amazing visuals and sound design. Everything else about the game is completely vapid.
  18. Aug 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was advertised as an audiovisual experience, and it did not disappoint. With a fantastic soundtrack from Jim Guthrie and amazing 8-bit graphics, complete with cute little sprites for the small yet memorable cast of characters, this game, if anything, is a treat for your senses. The fact that it is a port from iOS is apparent, as a lot of the gameplay involves point and click, and different "swiping" methods used to advance in the plot. Speaking of the plot, it's highly unorthodox (as one would expect from an indie game), much of it coming from pop up text boxes featuring humorous and odd messages ("We had bridged the chasm & we felt super smart" or "We spied the solitary grave at the edge of The Perilous Precipice & we wondered what was up with that."), or from equally entertaining thoughts projected from the characters via mind reading Megatome. The game is not without its faults, though, as it is infuriating to be asked to tweet every message that comes up via the in-game Twitter support. One mechanic comes to mind, too, that involves waiting for the phases of the moon to advance (although this is a very neat aspect of the game, and can be worked around with some cleverness).

All-in-all, Superbrothers: Swords and Sorcery is a neat, quirky point and click adventure with fantastic visuals and a breathtaking soundtrack. Even if the gameplay itself can be lacking and involves mildly annoying features, it's a must try.
  19. Aug 19, 2012
    First of all, credit where credit is due - what we have here is a sincere attempt to do something different in gaming. If I was rating based on aesthetics alone, my score would be much higher. However, as a gameplay experience, Sword and Sorcery is dull at its best moments and deeply frustrating at its worst. The puzzles seem to rely predominantly on guesswork, and on more than one occasion I found myself randomly clicking around the screen trying to move the story forward (this may say more about my own intelligence than the quality of the game, but I don't think I'm the only person to raise this complaint). I do hope these developers stay in the business, as I think they have the potential to make something truly special. However, it'll take a few more trips back to the drawing board before that happens. Expand
  20. Aug 19, 2012
    Sword & Sworcery really does not deserve the high critical acclaim.
    The "game" provides no challenge whatsoever, is extremely slow and has virtually no gameplay or story to speak of. Most of your time is spent walking around fairly empty screens, sometimes with a few "puzzles" that involve clicking objects in the right order.
    Combat is dead simple apart from very few sudden instant-death
    scenarios that you will easily pass after the first time they smack you in the face. Of course, you will have to sit through the slow, braindead first part of the fight again.
    The game also has a built-in mechanic that, at two points, forces you to wait X real-time days to be able to continue because the moon phase has to be right. It's nice finding that out via a walkthrough after shambling around every screen for half an hour. The mechanic is as stupid and nonsensical as it sounds, the moon phase has no relevancy on anything else in the game and you will just have to quit playing for a few days because you cannot progress.
    The game also has a gimmick that makes it possible tweet every single text box you get in the game. The texts are not particularly funny or interesting and it doesn't change anything about the game to tweet stuff from it. Pointless, really.
    The controls are strange to use with a mouse, but you get used to it and they work well enough. The art style isn't too interesting, but also not bad. However, the music is amazing. I got this with the Humble Bundle, so I also received the soundtrack, and I really recommend that one.
    In conclusion: stay away. This isn't fun, this isn't challenging, this is not a game. It's also not a playable novel because there is no story. It's masturbation with no payoff.
    But with really good music.
  21. Aug 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A beautifully organized game with great visuals, music, and a short, simple, and overall enjoyable story. However, it's weighed down by inane "quirkiness" through frequent outdated 90s lingo and overt Legend of Zelda influence (I mean, spoiler alert, you fight the pieces of the triforce in the same manner that you fight Ganon at the end of Ocarina of Time). This problem is shoved further down your throat as the game constantly reminds you that you can tweet every single phrase they put up on your screen. If you can ignore the niggling feeling that you're playing a game for hipsters, you'll find this game very rewarding in it's own unique way. Expand
  22. Aug 6, 2012
    Chill your gameplay complaints, bro. This was buckets of fun. As the game itself describes within the telepathic Megatome, "We have found that a relaxed, curious personality will result in an an enjoyable experience S:S&S EP." After reading this, my frustrations with the game's dumb controls suddenly slackened (although you can doubleclick to navigate, rather than stump around by clicking and holding. A relief to discover). This isn't a gamer's game, it's an EP: a series of "far out, man" concepts which you happen to play through. Metagame cameos, use of tropes, slight goofiness, and emphasis on music compel your advancement. The tacked-on social networking doodad is forgiveable. Expand
  23. Jul 30, 2012
    The intentionally nonsensical story and eloquent "hipster" dialogue is sure to delight some, but unfortunately the obtuse gameplay often overshadows the otherwise beautiful presentation. Some puzzles require unintuitive thinking to solve, such as dragging together two mountains in the background. Beyond the minimalist puzzles, the game plays more like an interactive story, and it's during these quirky story-telling moments where the game excels. Expand
  24. Jul 22, 2012
    This game has amazing art and awesome sound, however the gameplay just doesn't cut it i'm afraid. After playing 10 minutes you kinda feel like you either want to see something really amazing or just end the level so you can move onto another game.
  25. Jul 21, 2012
    first of all I have a really hard time understanding where many of these bad reviews came from. Judging the game badly only on the fact that it is point and click game seems quite vague to me. But enough about that, lets discuss the game instead. In my eyes this game is truly a gem. It is by far one of the best indie games i have ever tried. The art is amazing, the music really catches the overall feeling of the game and i generally like all the references it does to other major games. But the reason im not giving it 10 is for one that I played it on PC and the controls and interface seems very much intended for the IOS platform (so go buy it for iPad). Another thing that annoys me is that the game keeps asking me if I want to post my progress on my twitter account. But overall an amazing indie title, and a game that really gave me much fun even though I was not expecting it. Expand
  26. Jul 17, 2012
    Sword & Sworcery was a short, stylish, enjoyable diversion for me. The music is unbelievable, and I would recommend picking up the soundtrack somewhere. The presentation is really good. The overall atmosphere the game creates is stellar. Unfortunately, the gameplay is lacking. Puzzles are often confusing or boring, and the combat system is similarly frustrating. There are some gems in here, but they are pretty infrequent. I'd still recommend a playthrough though, as it's a pretty cheap and cheerful diversion. I had some fun with it, but mainly due to the presentation and not the gameplay. Definitely a game of style over substance. Expand
  27. Jul 6, 2012
    I'll start with what was great about the game: The pixel art was beautiful, the effects were lovely, and the soundtrack and sound effects were fantastic. The setting, too, was fairly interesting to me, if only for the fact that you play as a Scythian. Then, what's not so great: the controls are bad with a mouse. It's very obviously meant for touchscreen devices, and minimal effort was made to port things like the battle interface to PC controls. It's slow. Now, I've played adventure games. I love Riven, and that game has about three puzzles in the entire game. Slow-paced is one thing, but this is just slow. It's atmospheric, sure, but without solid direction, it can be difficult to know what you're meant to do at points. Its tone is very poor. It tries to be half-epic, but covers its own ass by ensuring just about everything shifts into an ironically modern tone halfway through. I could see this working as a distinction between reality and the dream world, and that could have strengthened the theme even more, but that's not the case. And so, finally to the whale in the room: it's got Twitter integration. Everything you read is packaged as a tweet, and can easily be tweeted onto your own Twitter account. On some level, writing 140 character-long snippets of exposition is an artistic exercise of sorts, and if that was all, I wouldn't feel too strongly about it. I might even like it. But the way that it was used here, with that smarmy ironic writing, not only was enough to disrupt my immersion in the game world pretty harshly, but it came off as being far too confident of their own damn writing, that they wanted every bit of it to be able to be shared. So points for art/music design, atmosphere, story as a whole, points off for writing, Twitter crap, overconfidence, and poor gameplay design/port job. Expand
  28. Jun 29, 2012
    Sword & Sworcery is not a game that can be reviewed as game because it is an interactive experience. What does that mean? It means to play it you have to give yourself whole to the game and immerse into the world although it doesn't even has a tutorial... that's part of the voyage and the discovery.

Beautiful -8 bits-like graphics that leave a lot of details to be filled by your
    imagination is something some young gamers won't understand, and intuitive try and try again gameplay and controls can be frustrating for those who wants to know everything right now. But everything clicks into place very quickly and you'll be able to breeze through it in no time.

Non-complex gameplay is intended to enjoy the experience... this is not a game about challenges but a simple story told through our actions and errors. The music ties perfectly with this simple visuals and controls, peaceful natural sounds like a waterfall in the background with clear guitars.

The game has some replayability too with some achievements that can be completed in a quick 2nd go at the game (once you finish it the first time the second time will go by very quickly) and there is at least two puzzles that have more than one solution and may keep you coming back to try another time.

It's a short game, but more importantly it's a deep experience if you are willing to give yourself to it and accept it as is. Simple graphics, simple controls, simple music, simple story... but a great experience.

The tweeter thing is optional so don't cry about it! xD
  29. Jun 25, 2012
    This is one of my all time favorite games. I fell in love with it when I first purchased it for the iOS. When I heard that it was coming to the PC, I nearly broke my neighbor's ears with my fangirly screams of joy. This game is intelligent and gorgeous in so many ways. So if you're a fan of brains and beauty, take this little gem out for a date you will never forget.

The art style
    of the game is bar none. It's a modern-day version of an Impressionist painting, a pixelated masterpiece. From just one playthrough, I amassed over 75 in-game screenshots that I now use as my desktop wallpapers. Superbrothers really brought their A-game when designing recognizable, yet incredibly simplistic, characters that would feel right at home on my old NES.

The gameplay is very slow, but encourages exploration. This rhythm-based point-and-click encourages you to "touch" the scenery, often creating interesting reactions and cool sounds. The high point of gameplay occurs during your own personal jam session with Jim Guthrie, the game's soundtrack composer. Being able to "play" along with Jim is absolutely fantastic.

Which brings me to the soundtrack. It is the best music you will ever hear. Any other attempt to describe how perfect it is would not be enough.

Some would complain that the story is dull, and the writing is poor. That the graphics are gimmicky and wear off quickly. That the gameplay is pathetic. I say phooey on them. Gamers don't believe in a simple. yet effective, story. Not anymore. This is a highly personal game that represents the awkward transition from snarky teen to responsible adulthood.
    Be warned: it does have a fairly limited playthrough value. But the soundtrack makes it so worth it. Check it out, so we can be cosmic friends forever, okay?
  30. Jun 25, 2012
    Mindless busywork set to an insubstantial plot with an ass of an attitude. The world and story (which are important to a point-and-click adventure) are nothing beyond the basal, formulaic medieval fantasy hero stuff. The gameplay is pretty much disconnected from everything about the story, apart from how succeeding moves the narrative along, and amounts to quicktime event combat and simple shape-based puzzles. The world is very nice to look at when zoomed out, but turns into just a bunch of garbled, chunky pixels when you're up close interacting with just about anything. It's also very pretentious, in the most intimate sense. It actively just masturbates all over you as you play by pretending that its simple, mindless elements are actually worth giving a damn about with unfittingly sarcastic writing and this annoying guy who pops up in between chapters just spewing mostly nonsense. The only good quality about the game is its soundtrack, which is better off bought on its own, if that's at all possible. Expand

1. Jun 19, 2012
    Sworcery is worth a look for the presentation and music, but despite the upgrade to HD the mobile version is still the one to go for. [Aug 2012, p.77]
    Best definition of what an indie game should be: stylish, original, intellectually stimulating and an amusing adventure. [June 2012]
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    Superbrothers is a unique audio-visual experience that turns an old cliché into a refreshing and intriguing adventure, though it sacrifices gameplay to achieve it.