4.4

1. AWG
    Nov 1, 2013
    If you're a 7yo kid who really likes to get bored, then this game is for you mate.
  2. Nov 8, 2013
    this game is terrible. did someone even come within a 10 foot radius of a hard drive containing this game? i guess not 'cause they'd pick up on the scent of TRASH. i can't believe they would charge money for this. team 17, what is wrong with you? what is wrong with steam for accepting this? don't ever even look at this game.
  3. Jun 25, 2014
    This game has bad controls and makes an overall cheap impression. BAD controls for a JNR? No way! This is an absolute no go for me.
    It seems that it kinda tries to imitate Sonic, but it fails.
  4. Nov 20, 2013
    The graphics look pretty decent, but if you've played almost any platformer since Super Mario Bros. I can't imagine you will find it fun. You run around the levels trying to collect as many coins as you can then get to the exit as fast as possible. The music doesn't seem very catchy and the jumping physics and sound effects are below the standard of any modern platformer. It feels likeThe graphics look pretty decent, but if you've played almost any platformer since Super Mario Bros. I can't imagine you will find it fun. You run around the levels trying to collect as many coins as you can then get to the exit as fast as possible. The music doesn't seem very catchy and the jumping physics and sound effects are below the standard of any modern platformer. It feels like it should be a free ad-supported flash game, not a retail game on Steam. Expand
  5. Apr 26, 2015
    Game is boring and easy, not to mention overpriced.

I never played the original superfrog but for sure this remake didn't encourage me to do so. The whole game feels like a flash game you may play for free on your browser but instead it comes at 9€. And by flash game I mean it, the quality is the same of any average flash game. Animations are sluggish and physic, well, there is no
    Game is boring and easy, not to mention overpriced.

Animations are sluggish and physic, well, there is no physic whatsoever.

So, well, again, it's an average flash game sold for 9€, cannot say anything good on it.
  6. Feb 12, 2017
    I don't want to exaggerate. But Superfrog HD really is the most disappointing game of my entire life. As well as being a cautionary tale that, when you say "wouldn't it be great if..." it won't always actually end up great; for years my friends and I always brought up the subject of wishing to see a Superfrog remake, being huge fans of the original.

All of that charm, that

All of that charm, that self-awareness of over-abundant commercialism in the constant Lucozade adverts, the charm of a game playing on the fact it sounds like a low budget idea (the impatient tapping from "Superfrog" as the heroic wind effect is absent due to the special effects guy being so distracted by his newspaper he hadn't turned it on)... All of it is gone.

What we are left with is a truly awful mess of bad animation and "cheap mobile game"-like sprites, losing all the charm of the original design. Again, it could have been quite humorous if the game played on this idea and made jokes of it- but instead it plays it straight.

And the music... Jesus, the music. It has turned very slapstick and forgettable. It sounds like a low-budget kids show. That the original soundtrack actually sounds better composed speaks dividends.

The ONLY reason this gets any marks at all is because, actually, they seem to have nailed the physics so it plays exactly like the original. Everything else screams of trying to monetise another old IP on mobile platforms, with none of the love and care put into the original.

However, the game taught me a very important lesson: NEVER hope for a remake.

1. CD-Action
    Nov 14, 2013
    As a traditional 2D platformer devoid of any twists and nuance Superfrog HD fails to attract those who played the original game back in 1993. [12/2013, p.69]
  2. Sep 24, 2013
    Superfrog HD becomes exemplary. It's an old game but with the new stuff. If only everyone makes game remakes like this one…
  3. Sep 20, 2013
    As a big fan of the developer, I’m sorry to say that if you’re not feeling nostalgic of the original, stay away from Superfrog HD. It isn’t good, but worst of all, it’s not fun.