7.2

1. BobM.
    Aug 4, 2006
    The interface is clunky, non-intuitive, and lacks feedback (am I researching this technology? It would be really great if the game could tell me if I was!). The people on the Kerberos forms are rabid fanboys who attack anybody for even gently criticizing the game, and the lead developer may just be more arrogant and opinionated than Derek Smart. The game as it is is extremely poor, andThe interface is clunky, non-intuitive, and lacks feedback (am I researching this technology? It would be really great if the game could tell me if I was!). The people on the Kerberos forms are rabid fanboys who attack anybody for even gently criticizing the game, and the lead developer may just be more arrogant and opinionated than Derek Smart. The game as it is is extremely poor, and given the attitude of the devs, I sincerely doubt that anybody who buys the game and requests changes or added features will be given the time of day. It's just not worth it, folks. There might be a game here, but between the arrogance of the devs and the sloppiness of the game, it's not worth it - even for a budget title. Expand
  2. CharlesD
    Aug 11, 2006
    haha, it looks like Tir M is the developer from the game company, how he know so much!. Dude, this game sucks man. whatever the lead artist did the terrible job. it looks like the game from the way TOO Future...like planet of apes age hahaha. 4 races, but no tech defferents? and Bob M is right. this game devloper is one arrogant dude~ man!
  3. ScottD.
    Aug 1, 2006
    The strategic screen lacks depth. Everything is too simple, making the game, at best, frustrating to play. The tactical element seems incomplete and the controls are unintuitive and clumbsy. If you buy this game, expect to watch your ships fire at each other with little control over what goes on. *My opinion based on extensive demo play*
  4. mobius
    Aug 29, 2006
    took me well over 120 turns before ui came accross the AI and even then it was a total tank rush. the game is to big to be enjoyed properly. research is not helpful at all and you have no idea what planets you control have on them. the game just becomes a chore when you start to spread out into the galaxy as each turn just gets longer and longer an more tedious. Take my advice and stick took me well over 120 turns before ui came accross the AI and even then it was a total tank rush. the game is to big to be enjoyed properly. research is not helpful at all and you have no idea what planets you control have on them. the game just becomes a chore when you start to spread out into the galaxy as each turn just gets longer and longer an more tedious. Take my advice and stick to the current king of the hill Galactic Civilizations 2: Expand
  5. SC
    Oct 23, 2006
    Some really cool features, but the interface is horrible to use and combat is very difficult. I wound up having my ships move away from my viewable screen and was unable to retreive them. As one of the critic reviews said, there are some really good features in this title that should probably be in a better game.
  6. AtmaD.
    Jul 28, 2006
    This game seems at first like it would be the breakthough stragerty everyone wants, but you quickly find that it is not. There are hardly any choices during combat, the 'planatry' coltrols are also extremly limited. I think the only GOOD thing about this game is the tech tree.. very nice there. Also, the AI (At least for me) was a little overpowerd..even when the game was set on This game seems at first like it would be the breakthough stragerty everyone wants, but you quickly find that it is not. There are hardly any choices during combat, the 'planatry' coltrols are also extremly limited. I think the only GOOD thing about this game is the tech tree.. very nice there. Also, the AI (At least for me) was a little overpowerd..even when the game was set on easy... within 15 minutes of every game, they rolled right over me, and usualy with less advanced, and less numbers, of ships. Expand
  7. Brakiri
    Aug 23, 2006
    Ugly graphics, simplified gameplay, horrible speech. Deleted the demo after 30min of torture.
  8. Nov 17, 2011
    Sword of the stars is a great game with lots of replayability. The graphics are (or were) not bleeding edge when the game was released and the voice over is really bad. But the game... the game is really, really good. for example, the technology tree is not the same on each game, which forces the player to think about new strategies, and the different combinations of weapons and ship typesSword of the stars is a great game with lots of replayability. The graphics are (or were) not bleeding edge when the game was released and the voice over is really bad. But the game... the game is really, really good. for example, the technology tree is not the same on each game, which forces the player to think about new strategies, and the different combinations of weapons and ship types makes it even more challenging.

The tutorial that comes with the game is RUBBISH, but if you want to learn how to play it and the different technologies the the site http://sots.rorschach.net/ is a great resource (it was build by the same guy who did the tutorial videos). I have to say that given that the game is quite complex, no tutorial might be enough to explain all the game (imagine a Flight Simulator tutorial in a super-real game).

Games also takes a while to finish (~3-4 hours for a short game with 60 stars). I've never played a big game (350 stars, 8 players), but I reckon that it might take about a week and get boring when each player has already researched all the technologies.
  9. Oct 31, 2011
    Very disappointed in this game. Was released on October 28th through Steam, but Paradox changed the release date to the 31st for physical copies and I can see why. The original released version was a Beta, wrong file uploaded to Steam, I understand mistakes happen, so another version was uploaded the following day. Well nothing really changed and the publisher admitted on their forumsVery disappointed in this game. Was released on October 28th through Steam, but Paradox changed the release date to the 31st for physical copies and I can see why. The original released version was a Beta, wrong file uploaded to Steam, I understand mistakes happen, so another version was uploaded the following day. Well nothing really changed and the publisher admitted on their forums that they knew the product was bad they were going to release and patch it. Menus are grayed out so they cannot be selected, such as options, no scenarios maps but a tab, the encyclopedia which they tell you to use for information appears to be mostly empty. The manual was a draft copy that the published put on the forums, how do you not have a manual completed for release? The graphics are beautiful but without just clicking around its next to impossible to figure out how anything works. No tutorial, no intro missions, no manual, no encyclopedia. Horrible game, horrible release. Expand
  10. OrdvaagMcSizzle
    Jan 12, 2009
    You can always tell who the fanboys and shills are in these comments because they always give the game a 10 and their entire comment is dedicated to addressing and refuting other people's comments, rather than justifying the 10 rating. They want you to think that it's a crime to not like a game, and to call a turd a turd. This game is a turd. It is a 4X game for people whoYou can always tell who the fanboys and shills are in these comments because they always give the game a 10 and their entire comment is dedicated to addressing and refuting other people's comments, rather than justifying the 10 rating. They want you to think that it's a crime to not like a game, and to call a turd a turd. This game is a turd. It is a 4X game for people who don't like 4X games. Why they can't just go back to playing The Sims, who knows. Conversely, therefore, people who do like 4X games will not like this game, because it lacks everything that makes 4X games good and distinctive and addictive. Expand
  11. BrianL.
    Jul 29, 2006
    Dated graphics. Horribly hokey voice acting. Clunky and practically useless tutorial. Gave up on the demo after half an hour. Don't waste your time.
  12. JD
    Aug 30, 2006
    This game is awesome. It's a shame that so many reviewers say "the combat's broken" when in fact all the issues they list in regards to the combat are issues that can be resolved by proper research. You're limited in how many ships you bring into a fight? Research in command and control ships so that you can increase the number of ships you start with in battles and control This game is awesome. It's a shame that so many reviewers say "the combat's broken" when in fact all the issues they list in regards to the combat are issues that can be resolved by proper research. You're limited in how many ships you bring into a fight? Research in command and control ships so that you can increase the number of ships you start with in battles and control what reinforcements you bring in too. There ARE combat statistics available after fights. You have a full event log detailing every single turn taken. There's a management screen for all your planets . .I could go on and on. This is the type of game that looks very simple to pick up, but is increadibly well designed, and deep. And to be honest the interface with it's sleek looks helps to hide some of the deeper details available, but they are indeed there. I enjoy playing this game, I'm very glad someone decided to go back to this genre. This type of quality software hasn't been around for a long while. Highly reccomended. Expand
  13. ClayB.
    Dec 21, 2006
    The game is SLOW, im running a p4 D 3.0 gz and it talks to long to do battls unless you let th computer do it for you... its ok the video is about whast you would fing in a win95 space game, the AI is a solw pig.
  14. G.M.
    Aug 7, 2006
    There needs to be a proper tutorial, and some of the voice acting is just plain bad. But I liked what I saw in the demo, overall. It's really fun. Planet development is simple, like Master of Orion 1 or Spaceward Ho, IMO a good thing. The focus is not on diplomacy or planet development, it's on building different ship designs and blowing your opponents up with them. Disclaimer: There needs to be a proper tutorial, and some of the voice acting is just plain bad. But I liked what I saw in the demo, overall. It's really fun. Planet development is simple, like Master of Orion 1 or Spaceward Ho, IMO a good thing. The focus is not on diplomacy or planet development, it's on building different ship designs and blowing your opponents up with them. Disclaimer: The poster below would probably consider me a rabid fanboi. Expand
  15. Greg
    Aug 25, 2006
    I think this game is extremely intresting, the humor in the voice acting is very amusing and the simplified controls make it easy. Also I like that you can assign temporary squads while in the battle, makes for easier ship control. I give it a 9 as it could be better. I'm probably going to buy this one.
  16. LoganR
    Aug 30, 2006
    I have to say that this is my first time playing a game like this. I found it very easy to just get into combat...the interface was easy for me to use and the sounds and voice work was really very well done....the ship sounds and explosions were very sweet.all in all I thought that SOS was Fantastic =)
  17. DantheMan
    Oct 17, 2006
    This game has dated graphics and an annoying interface. But its very fun to play and thats all that really matters.
  18. RobE.
    Oct 5, 2006
    An original perspective on the 4x genre. It's no Moo2, but each species has unique hardcoded traits that change their style of play. Some use warpgates, some use jumplanes, some just fly along. The races you've seen before. Research is lacking depth. In fact the whole game is lacking depth. It's more or less a 4x primer.
  19. TirM.
    Aug 2, 2006
    Look, if you're rating this game poorly, you're obviously not giving it a chance. First of all, the game consisting of the demo is a horribly gutted shade of the full game; it represents something like 15% of the techs and gameplay of the full game. Even the AI was reduced to a sort of "HULK SMASH!" mentality and is much more clever and balanced aggression-wise than can be seen Look, if you're rating this game poorly, you're obviously not giving it a chance. First of all, the game consisting of the demo is a horribly gutted shade of the full game; it represents something like 15% of the techs and gameplay of the full game. Even the AI was reduced to a sort of "HULK SMASH!" mentality and is much more clever and balanced aggression-wise than can be seen in the demo. Second, the strategic screen isn't "too simple", it's straightforward and uncomplicated to avoid information overload. Things like lists of your colonies and fleets are just one step away by clicking on the pie chart representing empire finance. I will admit that the tutorial is rather lackluster, and a lack of a list of hotkeys is probably a bit of a handicap, and the voice acting can be sketchy sometimes, but you have to remember this is a small company making the best of limited resources. Furthermore, the devs themselves have said the tutorial is getting an overhaul. Also, in regards to tactical combat, you have to realize that 1. Selecting the Standoff or Close to Attack fleet stances are basically telling the AI to play for you, and for basic ships like Armors, it'll actually do a pretty good job, 1.a. Ships won't respond to new move orders under those stances until they've dealt with nearby opposition, 2. If you want the most control, just stick with the Normal option and give all attack and move orders yourself, 2.a. Ships in that stance obey your orders /completely/ and so won't necessarily turn to bring all weapons to bear, and 3. Your ships have inertia; if you tell them to burn towards a distant target, they're going to counter-burn to turn around if they overshoot it. In closing, if you have a lot of questions about the game or you're just confused, come over to the forums. People are very helpful over there and can probably straighten you out. Expand
  20. Matthew
    Aug 25, 2006
    Sword of the Stars is an interesting hybrid of 4x strategy and Real-Time-Strategy. There are two playable races in the demo, Human and Tarka. There are two more in the full game Hiver and Liir. Humans get the unique node-drive system that greatly increases their ships speed and range. The Tarka ships are slightly more powerful in combat but travel slower and require refueling more often. Sword of the Stars is an interesting hybrid of 4x strategy and Real-Time-Strategy. There are two playable races in the demo, Human and Tarka. There are two more in the full game Hiver and Liir. Humans get the unique node-drive system that greatly increases their ships speed and range. The Tarka ships are slightly more powerful in combat but travel slower and require refueling more often. Hiver ships are very slow but the have a unique gating system. Liir ships travel by their own unique system and are stealthier. The strategic interface is a 3D star map. At the start of the game you have your initial colonies, some starting funds optional starting techs. It's not quite as streamlined and efficient as Master of Orion II. It works better if memorize all the hotkeys. Like most 4x games,iInitally you will want to eXplore and eXpand. Later you will eXploit resources and eXterminate rivals. Exploring new stars reveals a single planet. Sometimes it can be a good location for a new colony or a cost prohibitive dust ball. Occasionally, you will run into an unknown menace when exploring and must immediately do battle. An unknown menace in the form of a meteor storm will likely threaten one your colonies later in the game. The Research tree is simple enough but some techs are randomized. That can lead to some frustration but there is a mod to make all of them available if you wish to use it. The technology tree consists mainly of ship upgrades but also includes technology that will increase production or make colonizing other worlds easier. There are more interesting technologies higher up the tree in the full game. The graphics are an improvement over other games of this genre somewhat dated compare to other new releases. The voices provide necessary information, when research is completed, if an enemy fleet is spotted, etc. The sound is adequate for a game of this genre. The tactical combat portion is probably the game's best feature. The ships are fully 3D models and their turrets move to target enemy ships. The only health indicator is flames and sparks coming from a damaged ship. Formations are the key to success. The tactical combat interface does take some getting used to. First time players will likely become frustrated until they get the hang of it. Overall, I'd say it's a descent game. Expand
  21. J.Y.
    Aug 20, 2006
    A review based upon the demo:

As the PC Zone UK reviewer said, a simple "Total War" concept makes the whole game fun, but there are a number of loose bolts in the interface as well as some game design considerations that upgrades the tactical interface ONLY if research particular technologies. This game is also mainly about blowing the other races to space dust, and with limited
    A review based upon the demo:

This game is also mainly about blowing the other races to space dust, and with limited focus on other aspects of the game. It is honestly a "War" space 4X simulator, with lip service to diplomacy, basic colony management to get you into the business of researching a randomized tech tree, designing ships, building ships, organizing fleet into formations to maximize their impact and then hurling them at the enemy whether en masse or with finesse and committing mass genocide afterwards.

The Tutorial doesn't tell you any of these though! I myself almost made the mistake of tossing the game demo aside at the first glance. But I stuck with it after a while, and was rewarded with how to unlock the tech tree that improves the style of the game dramatically.

If you are looking for a game that has some sense of cultural aspects, galatic intrigue (there is NO episonage at all) and making peace with everybody and getting yourself elected to win, there is no such means for you to do so in the game, and I strongly advise you to look to other titles instead. A review from a person expecting such things will be horribly bad, as expected.

Furthermore, the overall game core mechanics are fun for MP skirmishes with short turns, the ability to expand and ramp up technology fairly quickly as well makes it ideal for shorter MP games, compared to how long such 4x games can stretch (try a game of Civ 4 for example.)

In all, not a bad first game from the developers, and hopefully, they will improve on the UI and the "Total War" concept in the upcoming patches.
  22. DominickM.
    Aug 29, 2006
    Didn't bother with the demo, just outright bought the game. Played for about 2 hours last night, and a lot of the criticisms you've seen posted by others are true: the tutorial lacks depth, the interface could be sharper, and the tactical combat is essentially broken. However, even with all that, the game still ends up fun. I have been a 4x space strategy buff for 10 years or so Didn't bother with the demo, just outright bought the game. Played for about 2 hours last night, and a lot of the criticisms you've seen posted by others are true: the tutorial lacks depth, the interface could be sharper, and the tactical combat is essentially broken. However, even with all that, the game still ends up fun. I have been a 4x space strategy buff for 10 years or so now. I've got to say that my personal favorite remains Space Empires II, but that was years ago. Recently, Galactic Civ 2 did a good job, but I wasn't a fan of the way they handled the star map. And it too suffered from poor interface (far worse, i believe, then this game). For now, I would rate this at a 7, but that may go up or down slightly after I play it more extensively. I'd have to say that a lot of the people here have been unnecessarily rough on the game after playing a limited demo. Expand
  23. TimK.
    Aug 30, 2006
    I went into this game with my all the other 4X games in mind, but this is something different, and I'm liking it. What seems simple at first just keeps throwing new surprises at you. Don't judge this game by the limited demo, there is way more to this game.
  24. JohnE.
    Aug 30, 2006
    Sots can be abit hard to get use too, first time I played the demo was arrgh didn't like it much, played abit longer and it really grew on me. It is a great game and alot of these low scored I see are from people who didn't even give it a chance(30 min isn't a chance), eg. Bob M. says (am I researching this technology? It would be really great if the game could tell me if I Sots can be abit hard to get use too, first time I played the demo was arrgh didn't like it much, played abit longer and it really grew on me. It is a great game and alot of these low scored I see are from people who didn't even give it a chance(30 min isn't a chance), eg. Bob M. says (am I researching this technology? It would be really great if the game could tell me if I was!). um it does, top left corner of strat screen or top right of r&d screen. Also of note is the new content update improves the ui and lowers the learning curve abit. On the whole a really good game, though it may not be for everyone, if you liked Moo you'll prob like this. Expand
  25. BenH.
    Aug 30, 2006
    I long stayed out of the 4X genre because of the tedium and micromanagement in other games. SotS changed that! Others may complain that they have a hard time understanding some things. That's because Kerberos has gotten rid of a lot of the noise and left as much of the signal as possible. You can't stop the signal. Each race is so different, it's almost as if I've paid I long stayed out of the 4X genre because of the tedium and micromanagement in other games. SotS changed that! Others may complain that they have a hard time understanding some things. That's because Kerberos has gotten rid of a lot of the noise and left as much of the signal as possible. You can't stop the signal. Each race is so different, it's almost as if I've paid $40 for four different games. The settings upon game start are such that you can play a fast-and-furious game (few stars more players) a medium paced game or a truely epic game (max stars, max players). For those that like to play with the tech tree, you could also play a game with only one opponent and 500 stars. Might be a bit slow for most folks, though. The only things KP could do to make this game better are minor, minor tweaks not work downgrading even half a rating point all together. Expand
  26. FergusC.
    Jul 30, 2007
    Excellent! Runs fine - plenty of RAM is the key - I've got 2MB. The hours will fly!
  27. MarkH.
    Aug 21, 2006
    The battles are a little too complex for the beginner. The fact that you can shoot individual weapons or the engine or any other part of the enemy ships and bases can make things hectic. If you have 30 ships and you target them at the individual items that you want them to hit that takes a truly frenetic effort. The rest is very similar to MOO 1.
  28. RapidFire
    Aug 30, 2006
    Not a perfect game, some parts of it seem rough arounf the edges at first, but it is by the far the most tactical depth that any game in this genre has ever seen, and the strategic side has depth and variety too. love the random tech tree--awesome, every game is different and i'm always on edge of my seat trying to win. keep getting "one-more-turn" disease and staying up til four Not a perfect game, some parts of it seem rough arounf the edges at first, but it is by the far the most tactical depth that any game in this genre has ever seen, and the strategic side has depth and variety too. love the random tech tree--awesome, every game is different and i'm always on edge of my seat trying to win. keep getting "one-more-turn" disease and staying up til four playing it, soooo addictive. some of the random encounters really are cool as hell and you can tell the guys that made it LOVE science fiction hard-core, there are sci-fi homages all over this game. plus everything about the game is military--your supposed to build an empire and fight other empires-- and that's the way i like it. Expand
  29. JeffM.
    Sep 25, 2006
    Solid and enjoyable. Designed to get you into the action and stay there. If you want involved empire management, move along. If you want merciless galactic conquest, go no further.
  30. TheoS.
    Sep 27, 2006
    The simplicity is a refreshing take on the 4X genre. I've seen numerous people complain of the tedious or confusing galaxy map, but for some reason it doesn't bother me at all, hm. Rather than being idiotic and redundant with continuous strings of "improved" and "upgraded" and "ultra" prefixed tech tree entries the people at K-P were actually inventive with the techs, and the The simplicity is a refreshing take on the 4X genre. I've seen numerous people complain of the tedious or confusing galaxy map, but for some reason it doesn't bother me at all, hm. Rather than being idiotic and redundant with continuous strings of "improved" and "upgraded" and "ultra" prefixed tech tree entries the people at K-P were actually inventive with the techs, and the randomized tree can sometimes throw you into situations for things like weapon configurations you wouldn't normally have considered with the entire tree always being the same. The UI does have some minor issues (many of which were brought to light in the suggestions forum and were considered and accepted despite what some may say) but the company is working diligently on it. Not perfect yet, but a mile above the rest of the market by my tastes. I'd also like to add that reviewing a game solely on playing the demo (especially with comments on the limited tech tree and lack of variety) is particularly asinine. Expand
  31. VieV.
    Sep 30, 2006
    Good game, but has a few issues. Managing the large maps is virtualy imposible, but then you can scale the map down considerably to much more managable levels. The Tech Tree, with variable tech each time you use it, is great, but some times its REALY anoying. For instance you put in ages worth of research into a tech you dont realy want, but you want what it leads to, and you dont get the Good game, but has a few issues. Managing the large maps is virtualy imposible, but then you can scale the map down considerably to much more managable levels. The Tech Tree, with variable tech each time you use it, is great, but some times its REALY anoying. For instance you put in ages worth of research into a tech you dont realy want, but you want what it leads to, and you dont get the later development. It would be nice if at the start of the game you could have the option to choose what tech can be researched, or leave it at random. Combat... ..leave it to the AI, its less entertaining, but the AI has far better controle of the ships than you do. If your going to win anyway then you can play, but if its a 50/50 split the AI's extra controle will win out. When your designing ships you dont get any information on the parts your putting in. You either have to remember, which once you know the techtree isnt too bad, what each upgrade and weapon dose. Or you have to look it up... ..not very intuative. Sound effects and Voice Acting... ..lets just gloss over them. The weapons are good, but the GUI noises are anoying rather than useful and the Voice acting is bad enough to be in an episode of dubed Pokemon. When in the strategic screen, turn the sound down. That said the rest of the game is great, reasonable graphics and good strategic gameplay make it entertaining. Its Tech tree is very broad and is not just focused on "Bigger Guns GOOD!" and that is a pleasent change in this type of game. Anougher good point is this is the only game of this type that can be picked up and played without reading the manual. But at the same time its got enough parts with finess to keep it entertaining. Also theres some mods for it, and it can be modified by anybody with a good archiver plus a basic text editor. Oh, and disable your daemon tools, its got a thing against it. It kept complaining that it was being run from a virtual drive when it was not... ..anoying but not the games fault, its the CD securities. Oh and I use it because there is a giant crack in my san an disc and I dont want to damage my drives by having it shatter in them. In all I recomend this game, just remember it has faults before ripping the CD from the drive and jumping on it screaming "I KNOW THE *Random Expletive* RESEARCH IS COMPLETE!". Expand
  32. RobertH.
    Sep 3, 2006
    There's so much to discover in the game - the four different races in the game are awesome.
  33. GapingMAW
    Mar 30, 2007
    an excellent game, well supported by the game developer. Only hampered by atrocious marketing and sales - get the digital distribution versions if you can't find a retail copy. There is much to love, especially once you patch up to the latest version (Mar 2007). Distinct races, a focus on expansion and combat, the random techs and other variables make for varied games each time. The an excellent game, well supported by the game developer. Only hampered by atrocious marketing and sales - get the digital distribution versions if you can't find a retail copy. There is much to love, especially once you patch up to the latest version (Mar 2007). Distinct races, a focus on expansion and combat, the random techs and other variables make for varied games each time. The interface is difficult at first, but some of the techs you can research in the game help it. Combat at the start is meant to be difficult. Expand
    Sep 25, 2006
    A fun and focused take on the space empire genre, with fast and interesting tactical combat that unlike other similar games, you don't generally want to autoresolve. With a 3D map for added strategic depth, four highly distinct races that aren't just plusses or minuses on a spreadsheet, and engaging ship design, only small interface issues leave me wanting more.
  35. DB
    Sep 27, 2006
    This is by far the most fun I've had with any strategy game. The strategic and tactical sides are both highly enjoyable.
  36. CharlesO.
    Dec 17, 2006
    I'm giving a 9 to this game for the only reason that I can't stop playing it... the interface is sluggish, i never looked into any game's tutorial, and I dont see why one is nessesary. The *random* tech tree should be used in more games, the combats are realistic, the voices are good... I dont have anything to say against this game but one thing : Don't start to play I'm giving a 9 to this game for the only reason that I can't stop playing it... the interface is sluggish, i never looked into any game's tutorial, and I dont see why one is nessesary. The *random* tech tree should be used in more games, the combats are realistic, the voices are good... I dont have anything to say against this game but one thing : Don't start to play it, or you won't be able to stop... Expand
  37. Nov 2, 2011
    Sword of the Stars, is in essence the closes thing to Master of Orion. Recently got the whole collection for 5 bucks off steam. Apart from the great gameplay, I have some gripes. Large Galaxies are difficult and unwieldy due to the Interface design. Also, the promised 'Real Time Strategy' doesn't exist. All combat is decided based on the techs you bring to the fight. The game gets somewhatSword of the Stars, is in essence the closes thing to Master of Orion. Recently got the whole collection for 5 bucks off steam. Apart from the great gameplay, I have some gripes. Large Galaxies are difficult and unwieldy due to the Interface design. Also, the promised 'Real Time Strategy' doesn't exist. All combat is decided based on the techs you bring to the fight. The game gets somewhat streamlined in Multiplayer when everybody has to rush a couple of beginning tech just to level the playing field. One of the best features of SOTs as it's called is the random tech that's generated each created game. While the Tech cores are a given for each race, random tech branches each game, changes your tech strategy and eventually your 'fleet design' strategy and formation.

A very decent offering by Kerebos.
  38. Nov 4, 2011
    Sword of the Stars is more macro than micro, a lot like Civilization in space. The level of scenario customization is great, as sandbox or predetermined as you prefer. The level of "character" customization is disparagingly low, but the gameplay and progression is still very fun. I will say, this game lacks a bit lategame in the way of keeping the player interested, but it still offersSword of the Stars is more macro than micro, a lot like Civilization in space. The level of scenario customization is great, as sandbox or predetermined as you prefer. The level of "character" customization is disparagingly low, but the gameplay and progression is still very fun. I will say, this game lacks a bit lategame in the way of keeping the player interested, but it still offers dozens of hours of fun gameplay and plenty of vectors to approach the game from, with six playable races and a superbly randomized tech tree. Expand

I love the slick, high-tech look of the interface. A little more functionality would be nice, of course, but the game looks much more futuristic and advanced than any other space empire game on the market.
  2. In much the same way that "Total War" proved that the war game could be stunning to look at, accessible and fun, SOTS is almost as impressive in its own low-budget way. [Oct 2006, p.76]
  3. Even with a well-balanced multiplayer experience, I can't say that Sword of the Stars is incredibly ambitious, but it's definitely an entertaining and accessible way to extend your galactic influence. [Sept. 2006, p.99]