8.5

1. Jan 17, 2015
    I have more hours in this game than I ever thought was possible. I played minecraft before I played this game, and I was convinced I would feel bored by terraria because I had played minecraft. However Terraria is different enough and polished enough to feel like a completely different experience. Yes, you can build in terraria, yes there are circuits and you spend a lot of time diggingI have more hours in this game than I ever thought was possible. I played minecraft before I played this game, and I was convinced I would feel bored by terraria because I had played minecraft. However Terraria is different enough and polished enough to feel like a completely different experience. Yes, you can build in terraria, yes there are circuits and you spend a lot of time digging for ore just like minecraft, that's where the similarities end. Terraria has a vast amount of weaponry to use, unique and difficult boss fights, graphics that look more natural and are far more interesting to look at than minecraft's default textures.

Minecraft is more of a sandbox builder while terraria is more of an actual 2D action RPG game. Despite what I thought before I played Terraria, it's clear now that this game is a unique masterpiece.
  2. Jun 20, 2011
    This game is incredibly amazing. I can't even believe it's 10 dollars. It's extremely addictive and filled with hours of fun, whether you play it alone or with friends. The game goes from zombies to giant worms to flying eye balls and tons of other unique npcs to different places to explore, such as dungeons, jungles, and other places you will find on your adventure. The game is filledThis game is incredibly amazing. I can't even believe it's 10 dollars. It's extremely addictive and filled with hours of fun, whether you play it alone or with friends. The game goes from zombies to giant worms to flying eye balls and tons of other unique npcs to different places to explore, such as dungeons, jungles, and other places you will find on your adventure. The game is filled with tons of different items, giving you a whole mess of items to craft and provide different ways to play the game making it possible to engage into battle as melee, range, or even a mage. The devs will also be adding new things to the game over time as well, which adds tons of replay ability to the game. Terraria is a must have. Expand
  3. Jun 22, 2011
    Oh, hey, look, it's Minecraft in 2D.

Oh, hey, look, it's Minecraft in 2D.

...Nah, I'm just f*ckin' with ya. Terraria plays more like Castlevania with generous sprinklings of Minecraft and old Final Fantasy sprites. In order to get them out of the way, I'll start with the negatives, because I felt that they were few and far between. First off, there are certain items that require vigorous "farming" to get, but that can't really be avoided, because otherwise it would devalue those items, several of which are incredibly useful. Secondly, the game doesn't support modding quite so well, though I've heard talk that the developers intend to. I certainly hope so. A game like this, with its simplistic sprite design and easy-to-understand mechanics, seems like a breeding ground for wonderful user content beyond all the pretty structures you'll be spending hours building after you finally get those rocket boots.

Now, on to the positive. Terraria blends the building, mining, crafting, murdering elements of Minecraft with the dungeoneering, loot-gathering, potion-spamming goodness of Symphony of the Night, though it lacks quite as much diversity in creatures. I blame that on the size of the studio, though. While I have yet to play the multiplayer, the single player progression is rewarding and challenging. You'll fight your first boss, be terrified, probably die a lot, then come back later and laugh in its face as you stomp it into the dust with your shiny new weapon, crafted from the crushed dreams of a planet-devouring worm. Feels good, man.

The game lacks any tangible level-up system, instead allowing players to upgrade mana and health through specific items found while exploring, and upgrading damage resistance with armor crafted from ores found exploring. It's very much one long spelunking trip with loads more violence -- anything that dies breaks into vaguely recognizable chunks of its sprite. Gross. The sprites themselves, however, are very reminiscent of old Final Fantasy games, though I wouldn't count this against it. I nostalgia'd pretty hard. Even the NPCs have memorable sprites and distinct personalities, given the few lines they have. I think I may be switching persons, a grammarian party foul, but players will also very much enjoy crafting their own little village for the NPCs, as they will only move in when you've built them a cozy little home to nestle into.

I think I've covered the major points I needed to. For ten bucks, this game's a pretty good value. Were a barrel of miniature simians readily available for comparison, I'm sure it would come out on top. I could build a better barrel anyway. Out of Hellstone. Filled with Fire Imps.
  4. Jun 22, 2011
    Terraria is an interesting game with many similarities with another game called Minecraft.
    The game its self offers a very retro 2D plat former feel with the diversity and flexibility of a sandbox type game.
    It has a crafting systems with a lot of different items and things that can be created, dungeons, monsters , bosses, treasure and rare items.. all the makings of an interesting world to explore and advance in, but this is not for everyone.

I have friends who like Minecraft but not Terraria but also the other way around, each to their own as they say.
    Personally I have not invested a lot of time in the game but the time I have spent has been well worth it, if you have no issues with sandbox games then you will quickly find your self digging a little more to the early hours of the morning and then freaking out because you have 2hrs to sleep and get ready for work.

All in all, while the game is not for everyone, it is cheaper then lunch and well worth a try if you are looking for something a little different.
  5. Jun 23, 2011
    Terraria is a good deal. For an Indy game its has excellent replay value.
    Yeah you can compare it to minecraft in its mechanics, but its a rather weird comparison. The updates provide extra content, it is a fun multiplayer co-op and pvp. The Graphics are what they are... retro. The gameplay is fun, and yes it can wear thin... but updates keep it interesting enough.
    I give it a 9 because
    Terraria is a good deal. For an Indy game its has excellent replay value.
    I give it a 9 because its very sandboxy, you can build stuff, you can create stuff and it isnt a huge burden on todays computers. The Bosses provide some insanely tense moments. It's bound to become a 10 as it gets updated with newer features.
  6. Jun 23, 2011
    This was the first game I was excited to play in a long time. I really enjoyed Minecraft, I was still playing it when my friends wanted me to pick up Terraria. They told me, "It's like Minecraft, but 2D!" I was a very skeptical person, so I told them I didn't want to spend the money. I was wrong, this game was simple love.

The graphics are very friendly and colorful. They evoke

The graphics are very friendly and colorful. They evoke emotion and really speak about what's going on in the game. The graphics aren't anything high end, but the graphics of this game really augment the gameplay.

The music is pretty catchy and almost always captures the mood of what's going on. My only concern is the re-use of certain tracks, but it's no big deal because almost all of the music is pretty good.

The gameplay is tons of fun, Terraria is easy to pick up and dive into. The multiplayer and single player playstyles are both fun. Single player provides a fair bit of progression that will keep you entertained for hours. Multiplayer is especially fun with a few friends. Get together, dig some holes, fight some bosses, kill each other with lava, and go have some simple fun.

I have one killer that pulled this score away from a 10, there's not enough to do in the game! There needs to be more content! I ran out of stuff to do after a couple of weeks of avid play. The game developers are releasing somewhat regular content patches, over time I'm sure the game will expand nicely.

Here's the quick rundown: Terraria is a simple game that is a lot of fun. The sounds and graphics are quirky and emotional, the gameplay is a lot of fun that will last you a decent chunk of time, but there isn't much content right now, once you run out there isn't much to do. On a 1-100 scale I would give this game a 92.
  7. Jun 24, 2011
    Amazing game. Well made and coded and allows it to expand almost limitlessly and in which ever direction the Terraria community desires. So far they have listened and done just that and I am happy to say it is my favourite game and comes highly recommended for those who like Minecraft but with more action involved.
  8. Jun 24, 2011
    This game proves that 2D gaming is still alive and can still provide a fun gaming experience. Sure the game seems to steal from other build and create games, but this game has just enough unique content in its adventuring sections to make it seem like a breath of fresh air from other similar titles. It has a wide array of things to do past the initial mine and build formula. While not asThis game proves that 2D gaming is still alive and can still provide a fun gaming experience. Sure the game seems to steal from other build and create games, but this game has just enough unique content in its adventuring sections to make it seem like a breath of fresh air from other similar titles. It has a wide array of things to do past the initial mine and build formula. While not as deep as some would like this game is the kind that you can spend a lot of time on perfecting a building or fighting monsters. Expand
  9. Jul 7, 2011
    This is an great game the devs put a lot of work into making it feel as old school as possible. the music, the sprites and the level design, or well the level generating. if you like mine craft and thing this is just that but 2D this is in no way the case it has building/ crafting elements but is no way modeled after MC. The game is far more based on action, fighting , and loot. I can notThis is an great game the devs put a lot of work into making it feel as old school as possible. the music, the sprites and the level design, or well the level generating. if you like mine craft and thing this is just that but 2D this is in no way the case it has building/ crafting elements but is no way modeled after MC. The game is far more based on action, fighting , and loot. I can not help but see all the flaming going on in these reviews and i must say that they sound more sad then any thing. i get that mine craft is a great game, but just because a game lets you build...does not make it mine craft. if you are finding it hard differentiate between these two and are unhappy that the game does not hold your hand and tell you how to be good at the game. maybe you would be better off playing a title by EA... Expand
  10. Jun 25, 2011
    I've only played this a little at a friend's house, but so far it is amazing. Everyone who says this is a "2d Minecraft ripoff" is a complete idiot. So they are both made of blocks, and they both have similar tools. But Minecraft is more of a creative game with less emphasis on survival and exploration, whereas in Terraria you build to protect yourself and not just for the sake ofI've only played this a little at a friend's house, but so far it is amazing. Everyone who says this is a "2d Minecraft ripoff" is a complete idiot. So they are both made of blocks, and they both have similar tools. But Minecraft is more of a creative game with less emphasis on survival and exploration, whereas in Terraria you build to protect yourself and not just for the sake of building. It also puts more focus on the adventuring aspect, encouraging you to go out and find new things rather than staying in the same general area. Also, the addition of NPCs gives Terraria a hint of RPG that Minecraft doesn't have (That's not to say it's bad, just that that's one part Mojang decided not to put in their game. But this review is about Terarria anyway, so who cares.) In short, the two are completely different games.
    Now, if you are griping about the graphics, then I must assume you are twelve years old and don't have the maturity to realize that you are supposed to PLAY a game. If you want to WATCH something because it LOOKS good, that's what movies are for. And just because this game doesn't look like Call of Duty or StarCraft 2 doesn't make it bad. And also, even if the game looked like ****, as long as the graphics aren't so confusing and/or poor quality that it detracts from your ability to preform as a player, then it shouldn't matter. And if you say the graphics are stolen, then you are simply flaming with no evidence to back your statement up. And in a game where most graphics are a small, low-resolutuion, retro-RPG-style sprite, it's not hard to accidentally make something similar to another game.
    And criticizing the music is even more of a boneheaded thing than criticizing the graphics. I mean, I personally like it but if you don't, there are things called the "volume key" and the "options menu," in which you can turn things like that off. Incredible, I know.
    The clunky controls are hard to back up, but I suppose nothing is perfect. Same thing with the game speed in the beginning. Please note that I said "in the beginning," because after you have been going for a while things will start to seem to become faster by a combination of getting better tools and simply getting used to it. They could have made it a bit quicker to get going but it's still not as bad as some other games I have seen.
    And, don't just take it from me. There are plenty of professional, well-known gamers (TotalBiscuit for one) who would also back this and other, similar games up in the fight against shallow-minded graphics hounds
  11. Jun 25, 2011
    I bought this game thinking I would regret this purchase, thinking it was another Minecraft knockoff, but as I skeptically beat off slimes and trees, I slowly got drawn in to the game-play, and eventually realized, it isn't Minecraft, it is a whole new game. New depths and even more content then Minecraft lead it to be one of my most played games. If I have free time and my laptop, I'll beI bought this game thinking I would regret this purchase, thinking it was another Minecraft knockoff, but as I skeptically beat off slimes and trees, I slowly got drawn in to the game-play, and eventually realized, it isn't Minecraft, it is a whole new game. New depths and even more content then Minecraft lead it to be one of my most played games. If I have free time and my laptop, I'll be playing Terraria. This game is a great addition to a seasoned Minecrafter's game library, as a companion, and competitor game. Expand
  12. Jun 26, 2011
    Terraria is a creative and addicting game. Ive put about 25 hours into it now and I am still hooked. At 10 bucks you just cant beat that. Where do I begin........it reminds me a lot of zelda except with many more items to find which is one of the reasons it is so addictive. Playing with friends is a blast and the developers add content consistantly for free. I have not played mineTerraria is a creative and addicting game. Ive put about 25 hours into it now and I am still hooked. At 10 bucks you just cant beat that. Where do I begin........it reminds me a lot of zelda except with many more items to find which is one of the reasons it is so addictive. Playing with friends is a blast and the developers add content consistantly for free. I have not played mine craft and some people think this is a rip off of that game. All I know is this game is really good and has a lot of heart. I would have given the game a 10 if it wasn't for the confusing multiplayer set up process. As far as I know you have to open ports on your network and a few other things to play with friends. This game needs some simple match making and it would be perfect and more accessible. I got around this by using a program called Himatchi which let me connect to my friend. If you are an old school action rpg fan this game is for you. If you are a fan of zelda and can deal with throw back graphics then buy this game right now. A true gem in a sea of big budget garbage games that are being churned out these days. Expand
  13. Jun 26, 2011
    What originally seemed like a game that plays itself off of the minecraft crowd, is now nothing like it. with graphics that will easly run on most PCs and a 2D landscape it resembles that of SNES platformers. It is a game you can pick up and play and not get bored easily. Like minecraft, you find what you want to do and by the end, with most powerful weapons in hand, you still keepWhat originally seemed like a game that plays itself off of the minecraft crowd, is now nothing like it. with graphics that will easly run on most PCs and a 2D landscape it resembles that of SNES platformers. It is a game you can pick up and play and not get bored easily. Like minecraft, you find what you want to do and by the end, with most powerful weapons in hand, you still keep playing. weither its building a tower or a giant **** and balls, this game will hold your attention. The developers are updating and adding new content so there is always something to get later even if you have everything. Fun mulitplayer with PvP possible or co-op. Fight your friends or journey into the bowls of the land. It is a must have. Expand
  14. Jun 27, 2011
    I haven't been this engrossed in a single player experience since the first Diablo came out when I was 13. It's the kind of game you think about when you're not playing.
  15. Oct 7, 2011
    No way you can fault this game for lack of content. There's plenty, and (semi-)random-generation of items, caverns, and veins keeps the game interesting for many hours. With all sandbox-type games, however, there comes a point where you feel like you've gone through just about everything there is to explore. You know how the mechanics work, how enemies work - you've found all theNo way you can fault this game for lack of content. There's plenty, and (semi-)random-generation of items, caverns, and veins keeps the game interesting for many hours. With all sandbox-type games, however, there comes a point where you feel like you've gone through just about everything there is to explore. You know how the mechanics work, how enemies work - you've found all the interesting artifacts, and have the NPCs you're interested in. .... And then you go online to see the Terraria Wiki, and -- HOLY #(%*, there's a freaking CLOUD level! You find out you've only explored half the content, and on your way to explore it, the devs release even more new content in an update. Content updates in Terraria are a real treat. It's not just a few balance changes and a a couple new items -- they add new biomes, more monsters, a new NPC, different trees, new mechanics, many new weapons, and major crafting changes. Even if you do play Minecraft, and reviewers are correct in calling Terraria a "2d minecraft clone," the vast amount of different content, different mechanics, and environments still make Terreria a bargain, and likely a very fresh, enjoyable experience for you. Expand
  16. Jun 30, 2011
    Let me start by saying that the first time i saw this game i said "pff it's a minecraft copy in 2d"
    then my cousin started playing and told me to start too so i thought "meh lets try it"
    yeah its basicly the same kind of game but if u think in that way quake was a copy of doom, the difference is where the game has been improved and i say it has improved a lot, there is so much more to
    the difference is where the game has been improved and i say it has improved a lot, there is so much more to do, they took the idea of minecraft and improved it a lot, there are random events like goblin army, blood moon rising, etc, that improved the game in so many ways that it's worth your time and money
  17. Jul 6, 2011
    A little slow for the first couple hours. But if you are a fan of nostalgia Squaresoft RPGs / Metroid / Castlevania series with a minecraft building system this game eventually evolves into an absolutely amazing experience. With random generating worlds and co-op, its one of the best gaming deals around.
  18. Jul 16, 2011
    Many people complain that this game is a complete ripoff off Minecraft but even notch himself likes this game!
    Thus if it werent for notch this game wouldnt have become as well known as it is :)
    Ok back to the game: The game has very similiar building basics like Minecraft but thats the ONLY thing in Terraria u will find is similiar (except for zombies at night) Terraria is more like an
    Terraria is more like an adventure game version of Minecraft. So if you're thinking about buying the game just for building in it i don't think you should buy it so buy Minecraft instead. Terraria just like Minecraft isn't a full game yet so if you buy it look forward to updates and new things being added and make sure to play Terraria with lots of friends. The more the merrier
  19. Jul 17, 2011
    A work in progress drawing elements from minecraft (and a few others), BUT an AWESOME and unique game in it's own right.

I bought this game immediately upon release, loaded it up, built a house, killed some stuff, figured it was a cute minecraft rip-off in 2D, and left it alone. It wasn't until a few weeks later that I gave it another shot after watching a trailer for the 1.0.5 patch. At first glance, it definitely has alot in common with minecraft. You start out with only some basic tools, have to gather resources, avoid or fight enemies, build a shelter and survive your first night. Eventually you will improve on your house and begin to mine deeper and deeper underground to find rarer and better resources, dungeons, and whatever. Sound familiar? BUT WAIT! Terraria takes off in a different direction with NPC's who move into your home, epic bosses, events such as goblin invasions, magic spells, different sets of armor with bonuses, grappling hooks, unique weapon drops and rocket boots. Mmmm, rocket boots. If anything, Terraria is a wonderful combination of minecraft-diablo-lode runner-worms. Point is, it's amazing. Like I said however, it is a work in progress (like minecraft) so don't expect a completed game. I sunk hours upon hours into Terraria and am now waiting for some juicy new content. And that's another thing - the Terraria developers seem to be much more active than Mojang are with minecraft. Also, I recommend finding a friend(s) to play coop with to get the most out of it, though you won't lose out playing alone.
    Seriously, it's $10. Just do it.
  20. May 31, 2012
    Its a great game very fun and addictive, also have very big updates(Free) companies should learn from this guys. A lot of items, materiales, weapons. Its just great :)
  21. Jul 21, 2011
    Great game minecraft and this game are about the same terraria is way better though fun with my friends. Its very fun because my friends and i love the merchants the npcs (the guide stinks) well becaues its something that minecraft doesnt have and a 2d game like terraria does which is pretty freaking cool you no. also this game deserves a 10 because guns are pretty awsome and you can getGreat game minecraft and this game are about the same terraria is way better though fun with my friends. Its very fun because my friends and i love the merchants the npcs (the guide stinks) well becaues its something that minecraft doesnt have and a 2d game like terraria does which is pretty freaking cool you no. also this game deserves a 10 because guns are pretty awsome and you can get that in terraria sounds cool its really well worth it you should really go get it. Expand
  22. Jul 26, 2011
    When i first looked at the trailers of Terraria, i thought "aww c'mon, its just a copy of minecraft", but then after sometime i decided to try the game out, and then i bought it, and i must say i got surprised, this game has soo much to offer, and there is soo much to do, that's its completely unbelievable, i can play for hours and hours, and it just doesn't get boring, the trailers mightWhen i first looked at the trailers of Terraria, i thought "aww c'mon, its just a copy of minecraft", but then after sometime i decided to try the game out, and then i bought it, and i must say i got surprised, this game has soo much to offer, and there is soo much to do, that's its completely unbelievable, i can play for hours and hours, and it just doesn't get boring, the trailers might look boring, but you have to play a game like this judge it, and it only costs 10$, that is the best game i have bought for a long time, and its definitely worth it. i have also played minecraft, but this game is just overall more addictive and fun in my oppinion. Expand
  23. Jul 27, 2011
    My first impression of this game was not great at all. Graphics wise the game is the most unappealing of all the games I am currently playing, but the simplistic nature of the graphics is what makes it so great. It bring back old memories of past 2D platform games that were just as great as this one. Not only can you enjoy the good times in Terraria, but you can also get creative andMy first impression of this game was not great at all. Graphics wise the game is the most unappealing of all the games I am currently playing, but the simplistic nature of the graphics is what makes it so great. It bring back old memories of past 2D platform games that were just as great as this one. Not only can you enjoy the good times in Terraria, but you can also get creative and create your own worlds. From PVP Arenas to giant fortresses fending off hordes of zombies, the amount of creativity that can be produced in this game is almost limitless. On another note many compare this game to MineCraft. These two games although they share similar aspects, they are different and have their own sparks. MineCraft is pointed more towards construction and dimensions and isn't much of an adventure game whereas Terraria is, and I'd have to choose Terraria over MineCraft anyday. Expand
  24. Aug 7, 2011
    Terraria - Ah, What To Say.... Simply The Best, Always Growing And Adding New Things. This Game Is Wonderful And I Cant Wait To See What It Blooms Into.
  25. Aug 8, 2011
    I didn't like Minecraft at all, because it was only sandbox, with occasional NPC's to harass you. Friend of mine recommended Terraria, and i bought it from Steam sale, it cost less than 5â
  26. Aug 8, 2011
    Everything I wanted out of Minecraft and more, Don't be fooled by the 2D graphics, this game doesn't need the third dimension to give a brilliant gaming experience. I got a good 50 hours out of this game in my first few weeks of playing, easily worth the small sum I paid for it. The developers are constantly working on new updates, so this game should keep giving for a while still!
  27. Aug 10, 2011
    This is one of the few games that you start playing, and before you know it, daybreak arrives. It appeals to many people with it's 2D art style, RPG elements, platforming, resource collecting through mining for stone and ores, chopping trees down for wood which you can use to create what your heart desires. For that alone builders and artists will love Terraria. Terraria's soundtrack isThis is one of the few games that you start playing, and before you know it, daybreak arrives. It appeals to many people with it's 2D art style, RPG elements, platforming, resource collecting through mining for stone and ores, chopping trees down for wood which you can use to create what your heart desires. For that alone builders and artists will love Terraria. Terraria's soundtrack is incredibly soothing containing themes that fit the mood of the environment you are currently in whether you are deep underground, outside in the daylight, or fighting against monsters at night. Controls are very simple to pick up. Overall, Terraria is a great game and deserves to be placed high on the pedestal. At It's price Terraria is a total steal. You will not be disappointed especially if you are fond of Metroidvania type games. Expand
  28. Aug 10, 2011
    Ok, after 173 hours of playing Terraria, I'm still coming back for more. Redigit and his crew at Re-logic did a good job working this. With constant patches to improve npc AI and items, the game keeps getting better. After five months of development, they released a good game. I watched PaperbatVG's videos of this game before it came out, and that probably gave me a better idea on how toOk, after 173 hours of playing Terraria, I'm still coming back for more. Redigit and his crew at Re-logic did a good job working this. With constant patches to improve npc AI and items, the game keeps getting better. After five months of development, they released a good game. I watched PaperbatVG's videos of this game before it came out, and that probably gave me a better idea on how to play it. You people who are giving it bad reviews, try to think of something better to do that just attack the game or it's developers. You could perhaps write something to help improve it if Re-logic saw it. Expand
  29. Aug 20, 2011
    One of the most fun games to come out in a long time. Simple , creative , exciting and fun ! Theres lots of room for improvements and implementations here but Terraria proves that you dont need great graphics to make a memorable game and is well worth the 15 bucks. I recommend to anyone.
  30. Aug 21, 2011
    I'll be honest, I jumped into Terraria expecting an experience similar to Mojang's Minecraft. What I got, however, was something bigger and, in some ways, better. Terraria is only really similar to Minecraft due to the crafting system, which is a bit more in depth in Terraria. Whilst stone is quite vital in Minecraft, it's all but useless in Terraria, aside from one or two uses, whilstI'll be honest, I jumped into Terraria expecting an experience similar to Mojang's Minecraft. What I got, however, was something bigger and, in some ways, better. Terraria is only really similar to Minecraft due to the crafting system, which is a bit more in depth in Terraria. Whilst stone is quite vital in Minecraft, it's all but useless in Terraria, aside from one or two uses, whilst gold is vital in Terraria, while being just fashion in Minecraft. However, Terraria isn't meant to be like Minecraft. Terraria is a 2D adventure game at heart, and does this really well. At the start, you start with bare basic tools and the smallest, weakest slime can prove to be a challenge. As you progress further down and across the randomly generated maps, you can get resources to make better, stronger tools, some armor and soon become someone that can take out enemies in just one swing. Terraria also includes bosses into the game, which are challenging to defeat, but yield great rewards at the end. One thing that Terraria also does well is the character syncing between both single and multiplayer. If one world has been sweeped of all of it's goodies, you can just start a new world and continue from where you left off. If I do have one complaint, the NPC's in the game can seem a bit 'in the way', especially the controversial Guide. In fact, the Guide gets in the way so much, that there's now an item that allows you to kill him!
    Aside from this gripe however, Terraria is a worthy game for adventurers and crafters alike. Don't shun this game because it looks like a 2D Minecraft. It's far more than that.
  31. Aug 22, 2011
    This game is not just a copy of minecraft. Its a great game based on fighting and combat. A variety of weapons armor, spells, and stuff makes it a great game to play. Even though its pixelated, the artwork is still amazing. Its the best 2d game I've ever played. It's bosses, corruption, a variety of monsters, and hard challenges make it a game to hard to resist. And too everyone who saysThis game is not just a copy of minecraft. Its a great game based on fighting and combat. A variety of weapons armor, spells, and stuff makes it a great game to play. Even though its pixelated, the artwork is still amazing. Its the best 2d game I've ever played. It's bosses, corruption, a variety of monsters, and hard challenges make it a game to hard to resist. And too everyone who says its slow, or boring, have never gotten anywhere into the game, because they find it too hard. Expand
  32. Aug 22, 2011
    the most addicting game i have played since minecraft, wayyyyy better enemies better maps, better crafting. and such make this game a must buy!! its worth the 30$ to buy a four pack on steam so you and 3 friends can go exploring!!
  33. Aug 25, 2011
    The score for this game is far too low for its quality and fun. People see a pickaxe and ore and think, wow, Minecraft ripoff! The gameplay is an adventure about one person, you, who wakes up and has no idea what to do. Once you figure out the basic gameplay, Terraria shines. A 2D platformer is always welcome in my collection of games, and this game is the best I have ever played. What IThe score for this game is far too low for its quality and fun. People see a pickaxe and ore and think, wow, Minecraft ripoff! The gameplay is an adventure about one person, you, who wakes up and has no idea what to do. Once you figure out the basic gameplay, Terraria shines. A 2D platformer is always welcome in my collection of games, and this game is the best I have ever played. What I love about this game is a constant sense of progression and reward. As you journey into the underground, you will find a variety of monsters awaiting you, in areas such as the Underground Jungle and Hell. You will als find rewards, such as rare armor and accessories in chests, and as drops from monsters. A mix of weapons awaits you, from spells like the rare Flamelash, to guns such as the Minishark (Half shark, half gun, completely awesome). The multiplayer multiplies the fun. DISCLAIMER: I own both Minecraft and Terraria. I Expand
  34. Aug 25, 2011
    Fantastic game, with constantly increasing depth. Anyone who claims that it's like minecraft hasn't played enough to write a proper review, because it's not. It feels much more like a metroidvania game than anything else, and is almost entirely about item collection to access new areas. Unlike metroid, though, the reason you don't enter the new areas isn't because you don't haveFantastic game, with constantly increasing depth. Anyone who claims that it's like minecraft hasn't played enough to write a proper review, because it's not. It feels much more like a metroidvania game than anything else, and is almost entirely about item collection to access new areas. Unlike metroid, though, the reason you don't enter the new areas isn't because you don't have super-missles, but because the enemies there will kill you instantly. The mining elements are basically just ways to collect stuff to make cooler stuff, and not at all like minecraft. The point of the game is not to build or be especially creative, but to improve yourself via item collection. Expand
  35. Aug 26, 2011
    People say that Terraria is just a 2D Minecraft. Sure it has crafting and mining. But what's Minecraft? An Infiminer clone. People need to realize that games borrow from other games. You need to realize that Minecraft isn't a game anymore, it's a genre. If you stop letting yourself get offended when a game has some of the stuff other games have, you could enjoy the game for what it is.
  36. Mar 30, 2012
    A fantastic experience for those who put some imagination and creativity into gaming.
    Start your life as a hunchbacked proto-human, living in dual dimensions, with only the most basic survival tools. Hammer SMASH! Axe CHOP! Pickaxe... ugh... PICK! Use these skills to shape the world around you or to beat back the creatures currently nibbling at your toes.
    A research student, vaguely

A research student, vaguely interested in your evolution, but too impatient to adhere to prime directives, will stand by and patiently explain what every object you've found is and how you can combine or refine them into complex objects.

Now, you've summoned up fire and bested the worst night terrors on Earth. And, like an hero, you've come to the conclusion that it's time to oil yourself up and go looking for styggian horrors in the caves behind your hovel. Hours later you're clawing your way back out of this hellhole with a sack full of iron ore, already on your way to blasting demons with boomsticks and wading knee deep through chainsaw puree. And if, along the way, a castle should be built for your greatness and all of his new, cool friends, then all the better.
  37. Aug 29, 2011
    I can understand why Terraria has a bad reputation. It's very difficult to get into, there is a very limited in game tutorial in the form of a "Guide," and there is room for a lot of improvement. However, the developers are indeed constantly improving and expanding the game in a way where I believe it can be enjoyable, even from the beginning. At first, I expected some sort of MapleI can understand why Terraria has a bad reputation. It's very difficult to get into, there is a very limited in game tutorial in the form of a "Guide," and there is room for a lot of improvement. However, the developers are indeed constantly improving and expanding the game in a way where I believe it can be enjoyable, even from the beginning. At first, I expected some sort of Maple Story/Minecraft mashup, which actually isn't an inaccurate judgement from a cursory glance. However, as I continued to play the game, I found it more and more enjoyable. Using outside resources and guides improved the game experience for me, but I don't know if that applies to everyone. I hope Terraria continues to expand so that gameplay becomes even more enjoyable. Expand
  38. Oct 19, 2011
    I try my very hardest not to give out 10s. Isn't the whole point of perfection that it can't ever be achieved? Anyway, I feel this game truly deserves it. I'm a huge fan of side-scrolling games like Castlevania, so this game spoke to me on that sort of primal level. Not only that though, but it has mining, crafting, and creation sort of like Minecraft. IT IS NOT MINECRAFT THOUGH. I don'tI try my very hardest not to give out 10s. Isn't the whole point of perfection that it can't ever be achieved? Anyway, I feel this game truly deserves it. I'm a huge fan of side-scrolling games like Castlevania, so this game spoke to me on that sort of primal level. Not only that though, but it has mining, crafting, and creation sort of like Minecraft. IT IS NOT MINECRAFT THOUGH. I don't get why people are so gung-ho about comparing the two. Anyway, I could go on and on about how I love the graphic-style, the music, the boss fights, the dungeons and biomes, and how this game teases my inner collector, but the best praise I could ever give this game is the following: When I sit down to play, I forget to eat and drink. Pizza goes cold, and soda goes flat. True story. Also, it's only $10 and the developers are CONSTANTLY adding more content through free updates. I can't wait for 1.1 to come out. Expand
  39. Jan 19, 2012
    First thing I would like to point out is that this is not a minecraft clone, I was surprised about how the more I played, the less it seemed like minecraft, it takes more of the adventure parts of a sandbox and doesn't do much with building which I think is good as it allowed many different weapons and ways to explore
  40. Sep 15, 2011
    Terraria is an amazing game. I loved it from the first moment I heard about it. It never gets boring, there's always something to do. Amazing boss fights, awesome caves, challenging battles! There is something for everyone. You can build gigantic structures, explore caves and dungeons, mine ores to craft better and better tools... Overall a great game! Ignore anyone who says it sucks! ItTerraria is an amazing game. I loved it from the first moment I heard about it. It never gets boring, there's always something to do. Amazing boss fights, awesome caves, challenging battles! There is something for everyone. You can build gigantic structures, explore caves and dungeons, mine ores to craft better and better tools... Overall a great game! Ignore anyone who says it sucks! It most certainly doesn't! And it is not copying off Minecraft. Minecraft is a great game also, but they are both very different! Expand
  41. Sep 16, 2011
    One of the best games I have ever played in the 15 years I am alive. I'm not a big fan of over-done graphics and fancy effects and 3D which is why I was and still am very attracted to this game. It'd be ignorant to say this game isn't a Minecraft copy, because it is, but it's also much more than that, it has many more options and the great thing about the game is, is the fact that it keepsOne of the best games I have ever played in the 15 years I am alive. I'm not a big fan of over-done graphics and fancy effects and 3D which is why I was and still am very attracted to this game. It'd be ignorant to say this game isn't a Minecraft copy, because it is, but it's also much more than that, it has many more options and the great thing about the game is, is the fact that it keeps expanding with new features and the developers of the game actually listen what the community has to say and try to improve Terraria with the suggestions they get. Definitely worth the money and if you enjoy the simple style, I would definitely recommend it to play. Expand
  42. Sep 20, 2011
    Me, being a person who enjoyed the game that was out of my reach due to low ram, Minecraft, LOVE this game. It is super open-ended and way to easy to get into. The only problem is that it is too easy to complete. If you were to sit down and play the game ONCE through (without Hardcore on), it would be done in one day. Hardcore....maybe three. I love it, but a 9.0 is what its worth.
  43. Dec 2, 2011
    This game took me about fifteen minutes of saying "what the heck?" before it got me hooked. That said I'm 5 hours in or so and it's really impressing me. It may be simple graphics, but, if you really look you'll see tons of attention to detail with regards to lighting up different parts of the world. Water or lava effects the terrain in really incredible ways. This is no mario orThis game took me about fifteen minutes of saying "what the heck?" before it got me hooked. That said I'm 5 hours in or so and it's really impressing me. It may be simple graphics, but, if you really look you'll see tons of attention to detail with regards to lighting up different parts of the world. Water or lava effects the terrain in really incredible ways. This is no mario or metroid from ten years ago. This game is beautiful in it's own right. It's fun, creative, and the changing music as you dig deeper is a really nice touch. For what I paid this is a 10/10 Expand
  44. Oct 19, 2011
    Set in a charming 2D world, this game of building, exploring and combat is great fun, especially with a friend or seven in multiplayer. The smallest worlds are still a decent size, with the huge ones taking forever to explore. You can build a huge stone castle or a series of cosy wooden cottages. Many deadly enemies and huge bosses can be found, with dozens of interesting weapons andSet in a charming 2D world, this game of building, exploring and combat is great fun, especially with a friend or seven in multiplayer. The smallest worlds are still a decent size, with the huge ones taking forever to explore. You can build a huge stone castle or a series of cosy wooden cottages. Many deadly enemies and huge bosses can be found, with dozens of interesting weapons and tools available to help defeat them. This game can give you ten times as much fun as a game ten times the price. Expand
  45. Mar 21, 2012
    Ive been wandering around this game for a while until now were i just bought it on Steam. I love it. Its a 2D adventure rpg game where you can spend long hours and not being bored at all, at least for me. Most people prefer Minecraft because its 3D , its better bla bla bla, i dont care. Terraria has all that and more. Great weapons, great graphics despite being 2D, the bosses are great,Ive been wandering around this game for a while until now were i just bought it on Steam. I love it. Its a 2D adventure rpg game where you can spend long hours and not being bored at all, at least for me. Most people prefer Minecraft because its 3D , its better bla bla bla, i dont care. Terraria has all that and more. Great weapons, great graphics despite being 2D, the bosses are great, the environment is smooth and many more things that i cant explain because i have no words but just: its great. Also play with friends and enjoy hours of fun and creativeness, i recommend everyone stop playing Minecraft and just give a few hours of Terraria and then tell us what do you think about this. Expand
  46. Dec 27, 2014
    Great game with tons of content for price. It's nice to see that the devs are still updating it as well.

Think 2D minecraft with more focus on combat and crafting all kinds of crazy stuff.
  47. Nov 13, 2011
    When i first started playing Terraria, i found it very similar to Minecraft. After logging about 27 hours on the game i realized it had a very different point to the game. It was more dungeoneering than building. Minecraft has the element that wants you to make a beast mansion. Then in Terraria It gives you the element to explore. Cave's, Sky Temples with locked chests, the underworldWhen i first started playing Terraria, i found it very similar to Minecraft. After logging about 27 hours on the game i realized it had a very different point to the game. It was more dungeoneering than building. Minecraft has the element that wants you to make a beast mansion. Then in Terraria It gives you the element to explore. Cave's, Sky Temples with locked chests, the underworld filled with lava. and last but not least corruption. on another point Minecraft is 3D as Terraria is 2D. Although this is usually a key part of a game in Terraria it doesn't seem to matter at all. So if i had to rate this game it would be a 10 out of 10. Just because they took the time to make a game that would not be as graphically good as Minecraft or other mining 3D games. So 10 out of 10 on my vote. amazing game. Expand
  48. May 1, 2012
    When it was released, it was called a "2D clone of Minecraft". However, as the updates came in, it started gaining its own personality. The pixel art is charming. The exploration and mining aspects of the game are addictive; this iss one game where mining isn't boring, but rather enthralling. Also, you can reshape your world, which is something many players will spend hours into. A great,When it was released, it was called a "2D clone of Minecraft". However, as the updates came in, it started gaining its own personality. The pixel art is charming. The exploration and mining aspects of the game are addictive; this iss one game where mining isn't boring, but rather enthralling. Also, you can reshape your world, which is something many players will spend hours into. A great, well deserved 10 for this one. Expand
  49. Jan 6, 2013
    The pinnacle of sandbox games. If you're a MineCraft fan, definitely take a gander at one of the most interesting indie titles in a long time. This game made me a believer again. A believer in the magic of Gaming!
  50. Apr 1, 2012
    Play the game. Torrent it, borrow the .exe files from a friend, whatever you have to do. I am a firm believer of not judging a book by it's cover. If you don't like it, that's okay, but at least you tried it. I tried Minecraft, some time ago then again recently and I just can't get into it, it's so boring and tedious IMO. So try Terraria! if you like it, awesome, if not that's okay! Have fun. :D
  51. Dec 3, 2011
    Terraria has more weapons monster's, rpgsurvival elements, a wider selection of items, bosses, character customization and better exploration. This game feels like with every block you pick you achieve a task, there is so much to explore in a single world so much to collect so much to do. I've played this games for 100's of hours and still can't be pried away from it. It's simply one ofTerraria has more weapons monster's, rpgsurvival elements, a wider selection of items, bosses, character customization and better exploration. This game feels like with every block you pick you achieve a task, there is so much to explore in a single world so much to collect so much to do. I've played this games for 100's of hours and still can't be pried away from it. It's simply one of the most simplest indie 2d side scroller games ever. It has different things that have never been experienced by players. It's not minecraft its more than minecraft, 10/10 A diverse and new way to play! Expand
  52. Dec 1, 2011
    Only a fool would say that it Terraria is Minecraft. Yes, I do not like Mine, but I'm telling the truth is a different game! It makes sense! And not just dig, dig and dig ... In Terraria have bosses, dungeons, magic and much more! Pity the self-purchase Terraria, but not Minecraft.
    Thanks to Google Translate :) [Russia]
  53. Jan 24, 2012
    This game is awesome its graphics are very nostalgic the weapons and items are reminiscent of 'Minecraft' but this game is a whole lot different there's more items and weapons with the new updates plus new bosses whats not like? If your looking for a good game that's relatively cheap this is the game for you
  54. Dec 2, 2011
    Terraria is a true gem of a game, that is rivaling my desire to play Skyrim (which is quite an accomplishment).

Anyone that says Terraria is just 2D minecraft must not have played either game extensively. Perhaps they mined some mud in each, put them back on the ground in a row and made a house, and then came here and reviewed the games saying they were the same. Minecraft: Blocks +

Minecraft:
    Blocks + Pickaxe = House ---> End of Gameplay --->
    Quit.

Terraria:
    Blocks + Pickaxe = House -->
    Start of Gameplay -->

Actual Adventure to be had; Loads of legitimate monsters; Real items with Tiers and different stats; Bosses; Traps; Treasure; Loads of different environments to discover, with different challenges introduced with them; Tons of nifty gadgets to enjoy;
    So much more I've forgotten.

Once Minecraft implements half of these, then user's can start to claim a Minecraft is 3D Terraria (in that order)
  55. Jan 17, 2012
    So, I think this game is amazing. I wanted to wait to see what kind of content they came out with before giving my rating to the game. After playing for months on end, and still having fun building, exploring, trading, designing, fighting ect...I still have a ton of fun playing the game. The reason I give a 9 out of 10, is becuase of 2 minor complaints. The single player mode is boringSo, I think this game is amazing. I wanted to wait to see what kind of content they came out with before giving my rating to the game. After playing for months on end, and still having fun building, exploring, trading, designing, fighting ect...I still have a ton of fun playing the game. The reason I give a 9 out of 10, is becuase of 2 minor complaints. The single player mode is boring after a while. It does take a long time, and it would be helpful if you could copy rooms if you have the materials. Just simple things, like a wall that is x blocks high, a matching wall on the other side, an automatic roof and automatic background. The background gets very tedious, especially if you want to do something complicated or layered. They did address this, so it is only a minor concern. The other problem I have is no good multilayer support yet. I understand if they cannot create dedicated servers for the game, but Steam has server support for all kinds of games already. Also, there is still a low cap of players which is annoying. I would love to come with a team of people and build a city or something, but 4 people just doesn't cut it, and even building a tower takes a long time. I very much look forward to playing this game for a long time, and hope to see continued content updates that both focus on balancing things you can build/design and things you can fight/craft. I think the sky is the limit for this game, and as long as you have an imagination, you will be very happy playing. For people looking for a more structured game experience, with a start, middle and end, then this game is not for you. There is no end for the game, and you can keep coming up with new things and making even more interesting towns

The biggest pluses for this game for me, especially with the advent of switches, is the limitless things you can build and create. You can build modern looking skyscrapers, and you can build castles/dungeons. You can make houses out of anything, and even create bio-domes that capture the essences of a type of area. You can build, craft, fight, explore, treasure hunt, PvP. It may have no start, middle or end, and it may be easy to get max hearts/mana (which I hope they increase in later updates though a more difficult way of getting them), but the amount of depth to the game is huge. It would probably take a month of solid game play to find the mats for and craft the best stuff. You could spend an entire year building a city and underground if you wanted to, and make your own world. The only limiting factor to this game is you.
  56. Dec 23, 2011
    Terraria is a great game. I got is for $2.50 on steam and even purchased as a gift for a friend. The server capabilities are there and its a cinch to set up and for anyone to log on. The game is an old school sidescroller so if you care about graphics, this is not your game. If you want some thing that will give you 50+ hours of fun in pvp with friends, cave exploration, many differentTerraria is a great game. I got is for $2.50 on steam and even purchased as a gift for a friend. The server capabilities are there and its a cinch to set up and for anyone to log on. The game is an old school sidescroller so if you care about graphics, this is not your game. If you want some thing that will give you 50+ hours of fun in pvp with friends, cave exploration, many different biomes (with even a Christmas themed winter biome released for the holidays) upgrading weapons and equipment and defeating bosses with a 2nd playthrough built into the experience, then this is your game. There are many options that you can tweek to tailor to your gaming experience. It's slow in the beginning before you get armor, ore and other things but there is a built in NPC that will tell you how to craft various items and how to move forward in your quest. This game is definitely the best when you get some friends together and start finding items to help prepare you for your first boss fight. Get this game when it's on sale on steam and you can go wrong! Expand
  57. Dec 26, 2011
    If you like Minecraft, you'll most likely love this game. It has the building and creativity aspect of Minecraft with much more adventure to it. The bosses and events are a lot of fun and your loot actually means something here in Terraria. I loved Minecraft but tossed it aside when I tried Terraria. Multiplayer in Terraria is much better than Minecraft too. On the Minecraft server myIf you like Minecraft, you'll most likely love this game. It has the building and creativity aspect of Minecraft with much more adventure to it. The bosses and events are a lot of fun and your loot actually means something here in Terraria. I loved Minecraft but tossed it aside when I tried Terraria. Multiplayer in Terraria is much better than Minecraft too. On the Minecraft server my friends and I had, we just went about building our things and checking out each other's creations but that was all there was to do. In Terraria we band up and go exploring because it really helps with more people, where as helping your buddy mine in minecraft is BORING. Big improvement imho! Expand
  58. Jan 14, 2012
    This game is fun and surprisingly less money than it is worth. If you like mining, crafting, exploring and fighting evil, then this is a good game for you.
  59. Nov 6, 2014
    I got terraria a long time ago and it is a very fun game. The updates over time have greatly improved the game and added a ton of content and variety. It is a lot more combat oriented than minecraft while at the same time allowing you to do world changing effects much faster than possible in minecraft due to its 2D structure allowing you to cut the map up however you want and so on.
  60. Aug 25, 2012
    this game is great.. probable my favorite game out there... i like the fact that you can do whatever you want... there is no story in the game, but kept me playing for over 160 hours... and all for $5... that is money well spent.. the first 3 hours of the game... oh man those were hard as i did not really know what to do/ where to go and eventually ended up using the online wiki. yea thisthis game is great.. probable my favorite game out there... i like the fact that you can do whatever you want... there is no story in the game, but kept me playing for over 160 hours... and all for $5... that is money well spent.. the first 3 hours of the game... oh man those were hard as i did not really know what to do/ where to go and eventually ended up using the online wiki. yea this game plays like minecraft but it is not minecraft... its better in my opinion as is focuses on you progressing through the game by getting new gear and fighting new bosses... minecraft on the other hand just felt like a survival simulator and focused on either playing the game as if you were just dropped into the wilderness and had to survive or had amazing powers to just spawn any kind of material one might have wanted to make anything... anyway back to terraria... only 2 really annoying problems with terraria is that its slow at times but hey so is minecraft and the devs stop making updates for terraria (but if you want more items, ores, bosses, etc... there are some really good mods out there for terarria) if you have not bought it yet you should buy it now, and support the new title that is coming out soon Starbound. Expand
  61. Sep 9, 2012
    Wonderful game, kept me playing for 220 hours or so, took me about half an hour to really get into it, but when i did, i was hooked! couldnt stop playing this darn game, its gameplay is just drives you to dig more and find more things and even when yourve found everything you can grab a few friends and restart all over again and it will still be enjoyable. everything about this game wasWonderful game, kept me playing for 220 hours or so, took me about half an hour to really get into it, but when i did, i was hooked! couldnt stop playing this darn game, its gameplay is just drives you to dig more and find more things and even when yourve found everything you can grab a few friends and restart all over again and it will still be enjoyable. everything about this game was good, only wish i had more to explore.
    PS: i dont like minecraft
  62. May 31, 2013
    Terraria is a great adventure game. It is simply fun. Open-world, with many dungeons, enemies and bosses, countless weapons and armor sets, and enough variation in accessories so that not all players have the same setup. Particularly fun with friends, but single-player is also fun, if more challenging. It is a little difficult at first, but that ends up adding to the gaming experience.
  63. Nov 5, 2012
    I picked this game up at $9.99 after a recommendation from a friend and have never regretted it. It's whatever you make of it; if you're boring and unimaginative, you'll find it slow-paced and limiting. If you go into it with an open mind you will have a great time. The only reason I haven't rated this game a 10 is that for a lot of things you'll find yourself relying on the Terraria wiki.I picked this game up at $9.99 after a recommendation from a friend and have never regretted it. It's whatever you make of it; if you're boring and unimaginative, you'll find it slow-paced and limiting. If you go into it with an open mind you will have a great time. The only reason I haven't rated this game a 10 is that for a lot of things you'll find yourself relying on the Terraria wiki. There's so much variety you should never be bored. Expand
  64. Nov 8, 2012
    My bro gifted this to me on Steam, and let me tell you, it was one of the best days of my life. I spent the next 17 hours running around in 2D mayhem land. The wall system is really cool, needing to have background walls to prevent monsters from spawning. It is a fun game, and I encourage all to buy and play it.
  65. Nov 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terraria is a awesome game. It was the top game on steam for first 6 days of release, but sadly it had stopped development. It also supports mods, that is a party starter for some users. Expand
  66. Kyr
    Oct 23, 2013
    Amazing Game,The only limit is your imagination and really fun! also,there's a lot of references in the game,and they are all cool! i REALLY recommend trying out,every penny worth's it!
  67. May 3, 2013
    经典的独立游戏代表作,迷你的容量,丰富的内容,单就探索和改造世界的能力就足以令人沉迷许久,并且支持自创服务器邀朋友一起共同冒险。绝对是2D版“我的世界”不二之选。值得收藏和细细把玩。同时期待其精神上的续作Starbound。
  68. May 28, 2013
    Terraria is a fun game you have many things to do and discover they will add OVER 3000 items on this patch the game is a 2D platformer 9,99 euros for me has so problems so i dont play it anymore but it is my favorite game i am waiting for Starbound
  69. Jun 2, 2013
    A nice little game that is quite similar to many other games but in my opinion is better due to the combat focus and the exploration focus over other games' building focus.The jump from normal mode to hard mode is a little too big though
  70. Jan 16, 2013
    I think that all users must give 10 for this game. The ones who don't like it are that ones who don't like this sort of games. I liked it when i saw it for first time. Please like and give 10.
  71. Jan 19, 2013
    I honestly like this game more than Minecraft, which many consider it to be a knockoff of. While you do mine various metals and have pickaxes, it end there. Terraria Has everything from unicorns to laser shooting machine guns, and while the game doesn't portray their vast expanse of items immediately, as you play into the game, you will see how much of a great game Terraria is.
  72. Mar 11, 2013
    Utterly fantastic game, I have clocked in over 100 hours and still not bored. Normally on Steam sales quite often, it should be hard to miss this. Unfortunately many compare this to Minecraft, which is a shame as this game stands on its own two feet, the pixel art is charming, enchanting soundtrack and uber fun gameplay, the multiplayer can be pretty mental too. I will be picking this upUtterly fantastic game, I have clocked in over 100 hours and still not bored. Normally on Steam sales quite often, it should be hard to miss this. Unfortunately many compare this to Minecraft, which is a shame as this game stands on its own two feet, the pixel art is charming, enchanting soundtrack and uber fun gameplay, the multiplayer can be pretty mental too. I will be picking this up again when launched on consoles. Expand
  73. Jan 26, 2014
    This game is amazingly fun over and over and over again. People say it's a Minecraft ripoff, but don't listen to them. The only similarities it has with Minecraft is the fact you can dig underground, that's all. Terraria is more focused on an RPG aspect and has a larger variety of pretty much everything. The only real problem I really had with it was the annoying falling damage and theThis game is amazingly fun over and over and over again. People say it's a Minecraft ripoff, but don't listen to them. The only similarities it has with Minecraft is the fact you can dig underground, that's all. Terraria is more focused on an RPG aspect and has a larger variety of pretty much everything. The only real problem I really had with it was the annoying falling damage and the fact that hardmode starts off a bit unfair, I guess.

I have no idea why people keep saying it's "minecraft without all the cool stuff" because in my opinion, Terraria, even prior to 1.1, had cooler stuff than Minecraft. The armors and weapons are all different, unlike in Minecraft where there's not only a total of 5 weapons or something, but 4 of them are the same sword recolored, and the other one is a bow.

I find this game a lot better because it has way better replay value and lasts a lot longer than Minecraft, is more fair than Minecraft, and the overall design just seems better.
  74. Jun 25, 2014
    One of the best Indie games i've ever played, ever. Picked it up 2 days ago and i already have 21 hours in it. Terraria doesn't fail to surprise with new monsters, items, and places to explore. It's similar to Minecraft is a few ways, but very different in many others. If you have a few friends to play this game with, there's no reason you shouldn't pick this game up!
  75. Mar 8, 2013
    Game companies love to try and mix irregular genres together every once and a while, and when Re-Logic tried it out, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it worked. Terraria is somewhat of a platforming-sidescrolling-sandbox-RPG, with a great balance of all three genres. I know this game gets a bit of hate for being a "2-D ripoff of Minecraft", but when you take into account how muchGame companies love to try and mix irregular genres together every once and a while, and when Re-Logic tried it out, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it worked. Terraria is somewhat of a platforming-sidescrolling-sandbox-RPG, with a great balance of all three genres. I know this game gets a bit of hate for being a "2-D ripoff of Minecraft", but when you take into account how much more this game is combat/RPG focused than MC is, I think it makes a better stand-alone game. Mods aren't required to make it fun, and this game has much better online PVP from what I've noticed. Think of it as Contra-meets-Minecraft-meets-Just Cause 2. Expand
  76. Mar 1, 2013
    With the amount of fun I've had on this game, 70+ hours, I'd love to give it a 10. Though, it does need some polishing, which I why I give it a 9. Anyone who believes it is a Minecraft copy will be disappointed, because, it isn't. Sure it uses similar ideas, but what voxel sandbox game doesn't share ideas? With different bosses, loads of monsters (more to come in a update soon), and aWith the amount of fun I've had on this game, 70+ hours, I'd love to give it a 10. Though, it does need some polishing, which I why I give it a 9. Anyone who believes it is a Minecraft copy will be disappointed, because, it isn't. Sure it uses similar ideas, but what voxel sandbox game doesn't share ideas? With different bosses, loads of monsters (more to come in a update soon), and a whole extra gameplay mode (Hardmode) after beating the last boss, this game has a ton to offer. Did I mention it's only 10$?! The polishing this game needs is highly understood also, seeing as in early stages it was hacked and the lead developer was forced to release it unfinished, so he could get credit for his game.
    Overall, this game will give much more play time than any 60$ game in my opinion. It already has for me, and I'm just entering Hardmode.
  77. Mar 20, 2013
    This game was unexpectedly fun and unexpectedly complicated. No way you can judge the game by simply seeing it being played by someone else. You have to place it and understand the mechanics... the fighting, the armor upgrades, the grapling hooks, the guns, the flying... It is really one of the most entertaining games I have. Some have rated Half life 2 as 90+ but I played both atThis game was unexpectedly fun and unexpectedly complicated. No way you can judge the game by simply seeing it being played by someone else. You have to place it and understand the mechanics... the fighting, the armor upgrades, the grapling hooks, the guns, the flying... It is really one of the most entertaining games I have. Some have rated Half life 2 as 90+ but I played both at the same time, Half life 2 was boring compared to this game. Expand
  78. Mar 23, 2013
    It is a great 2d survival, action game. Hosts of weapons, spells, and potions keep combat fresh and interesting. Mine your way to better weapons and build giant pieces of art whilst exploring expansive worlds. What annoys me isn't the game, but people who say this is a wannabe Minecraft clone. Minecraft did not create the survival genre or mining, in fact, Minecraft was and still could beIt is a great 2d survival, action game. Hosts of weapons, spells, and potions keep combat fresh and interesting. Mine your way to better weapons and build giant pieces of art whilst exploring expansive worlds. What annoys me isn't the game, but people who say this is a wannabe Minecraft clone. Minecraft did not create the survival genre or mining, in fact, Minecraft was and still could be considered, an Infiminer clone. This is confirmed as well. This is also more about combat. Expand
  79. Jul 9, 2014
    A brilliant blend of exploring, mining, building, crafting, rpg'ing and platforming. I can't believe I got this game for $2! (Steam Summer Sale 2014). It's just amazing. It pulled me in and hasn't let go. The depth is staggering. There are so many dimensions to this game...

You can build yourself an amazing base on the surface, dig mine tunnels for easy access to the lower world, fish, plant seeds and grow plants, make potions, build furniture, build houses to attract NPCs, hunt monsters, fight bosses, and so much more. You do it all at once and time just stops existing as Terraria draws you in for hours at a time...

I paid $2, but I like it so much I bought it for Android just to support the developer! Buy it. Give it an hour. You'll see.
  80. May 4, 2013
    This game stole nothing from minecraft is everyone thinking that if a game has building stuff and zombies at night that is it just stealing from minecraft?Terraria has more than minecraft more weapons biomes bosses and more.Terraria is better than minecraft in many ways.
  81. Apr 25, 2013
    Terraria is an very addictive game you will always find new things to build in your world and there is a ton of items, biomes to explore.

I got this game in the Steam indie games sale for 3$, or normally, it would be 10$.
    Worth buying this game!
  82. Apr 26, 2013
    Retro 16-bit-style 2D platformer (of sorts) reminiscent of the early days of gaming but with a unique flavour of its own. "Dig! Fight! Explore! Build!" Is the motto of the game and that's what you do. The game takes place on an immense randomly generated map. Dig deep into this map to find items to craft, precious metals to forge into armour, enemies to fight who drop rare and powerfulRetro 16-bit-style 2D platformer (of sorts) reminiscent of the early days of gaming but with a unique flavour of its own. "Dig! Fight! Explore! Build!" Is the motto of the game and that's what you do. The game takes place on an immense randomly generated map. Dig deep into this map to find items to craft, precious metals to forge into armour, enemies to fight who drop rare and powerful items, end bosses, unique environments, a plethora of weapons to find and craft, and a whole lot more. A seemingly simple game that many will inevitably sink hundreds, some even thousands, of hours into. 10/10 Expand
  83. Mar 12, 2014
    I have to admit, I bought this game and it was in my steam library a few months before I got into it. After I really started playing it, I was having a blast. I would sit down to check up on my house and ended up playing this for 5 or 6 hour sessions at a time. All of this review so far is pre 1.2 update, by the way. I really think this is one of the best games out there to just relax andI have to admit, I bought this game and it was in my steam library a few months before I got into it. After I really started playing it, I was having a blast. I would sit down to check up on my house and ended up playing this for 5 or 6 hour sessions at a time. All of this review so far is pre 1.2 update, by the way. I really think this is one of the best games out there to just relax and have a good time. Anyone who buys this on PC, (Xbox 360 version SUCKED), will have the time of their life while playing this. For only $10 on Steam, that is an AMAZING price for endless hours of fun I have proudly clocked in 231 hours to this wonder, and am still pleased with it's experience. This is an amazing product and you should definitely buy it. Only if it's on PC though. Expand
  84. May 4, 2013
    I like Terraria and i bought it when i was 7, so ik got it 3 whole YEARS and i know how to make a server it a great time but now is the server in hardmode and there is 11% corrupt and 9% hallow so we made much Holy Water but my brother wants the world not complete hallow and then we need spend more coins out on the Drayd and now we are bored but it Terraria is AWSOME so play it now!
  85. May 15, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game. I bought it in the late 2011 if i remember correctly, played it all summer with my friends! If you enjoy alot of action, items and building stuff, you will adore this game, 100% better than Minecraft in my personal opinion! Buy this game, people!
  86. May 16, 2013
    Terraria is my favorite game... so... I NEED A UPDATE!!! the 1.1.2 is boring and old... i like the adventures, the monster, the sandbox and the bosses, TERRARIA HAVE ALL OF THIS THINGS!!!
  87. May 16, 2013
    I was not a fan of minecraft (as often compared to a 2D version of it), but I completely enjoyed the casual gameplay, especially with friends. I spent countless hours trying to get weapons good enough to defeat bosses and have the enjoyment and also remorse of rendering a large world and getting lost exploring trying to find more material or my way back out of the ground alive so that II was not a fan of minecraft (as often compared to a 2D version of it), but I completely enjoyed the casual gameplay, especially with friends. I spent countless hours trying to get weapons good enough to defeat bosses and have the enjoyment and also remorse of rendering a large world and getting lost exploring trying to find more material or my way back out of the ground alive so that I may keep my things.

The game is relatively cheap, and it often goes on sale on steam, so I highly recommend this game for everyone. I wish they didn't stop updating it, but it is still a really great game to have in your arsenal. I literally bought this game for everyone I knew, spent well over 100 dollars worth of copies (on sale each time).
  88. May 26, 2013
    Terraria is an amazing game that takes everything you love about minecraft adds some unique rpg elements and character customization this game is a must play it gets very addicting and you will find yourself playing more than minecraft so check that out on steam and its half the price of minecraft thats always a plus
  89. Oct 22, 2013
    Terraria is the better sandbox game of the last year.
    Big, various and nice!

Crafting, exploration and monster are the parts that make this game great.
  90. Oct 8, 2013
    I absolutely love Terraria.
    I absolutely love Terraria.
    You're thrown into a randomly generated world, it's that simple. There is no tutorial waiting for you, it's your choice to either go off and explore the world around you, dig for materials or build to space. You get three basic tools, a sword, a pick-axe and an axe to get you started. Once you chip away and play further into the game, you get sucked in, the combat has a great flow to it with many varying weapons and tonnes of enemies to fight including boss battles with Giant Eyeballs or entire Armies of Goblins. What I also love about Terraria is that the enemies aren't push overs (except for puny little green and blue slimes) If you aren't prepared to fight then you're going to get beaten to a pulp, unless of course you're amazing at plat-formers like Super Mario, then you can just use your plat-forming prowess to avoid all kinds of incoming onslaughts (However you can't go on forever doing this)
    The Games amount of content is astounding and it will have you playing for hours (Around 70 hours from start to finish)
    I think to be honest, for the price, just go and buy it. If you're cautious. buy it on a sale where it will cost next to nothing. Then, sit back relax, then play Teraria and prepare for a good time.
  91. Jun 19, 2013
    Terraria is an awesome game to explore, it suck's that the world isn't infinite and it only runs on windows. Besides that it's awesome to play with you're friends!
  92. Jun 20, 2013
    Terraria has earned its place as one of the best indie games of all time. Terraria, while it has no real satisfaction in building, has magic, the Underworld, many bosses, and great mining sequences. Pair that with the great end game and you get a phenomenal experience. The combat is also fluent and can become easily overwhelming if you are not wary of you weapon usage and environment.Terraria has earned its place as one of the best indie games of all time. Terraria, while it has no real satisfaction in building, has magic, the Underworld, many bosses, and great mining sequences. Pair that with the great end game and you get a phenomenal experience. The combat is also fluent and can become easily overwhelming if you are not wary of you weapon usage and environment. Terraria is addicting, fun, and overall a great game. Expand
  93. Jul 7, 2014
    Simply amazing. With it's great gameplay, music, and visuals, Terraria is easily one of my most favorite games, as I racked up over 250 total hours. Though it is often compared to Minecraft, but lacking a third dimension, the only similarity is that they both allow you to mine. It's massive variety of weapons and monsters allow for everlasting unique combat. Terrraria may seem mediocre atSimply amazing. With it's great gameplay, music, and visuals, Terraria is easily one of my most favorite games, as I racked up over 250 total hours. Though it is often compared to Minecraft, but lacking a third dimension, the only similarity is that they both allow you to mine. It's massive variety of weapons and monsters allow for everlasting unique combat. Terrraria may seem mediocre at a first glance, but with enough time and effort, it is as fun as anyone could imagine. Expand
  94. Oct 3, 2014
    More update in this game in 3 years than in the serie "call of duty" in 12 years (one easy jab, I know). You feel this game evolved (and will keep evolving) from when it started.

And no, it's not minecraft in 2D, there is a whole fighting side that is very well developped, with a felt progression when you start killing slimes with a copper shortsword and a wood armor and end up using a tactical shotgun with heat seeking bullets in a blue armor while killing a giant fish-pig-dragon thingy.

Also, you can play it in multiplayer, let it be to fight together, against each other, build magnificient structures, or play "Throw-bomb-down-the-mining-shaft-to-mine-faster-and-hear-your-friends-screaming-in-terror".
  95. Jul 12, 2013
    Terraria is a game that has various cool elements brought together in epic ways, there isn't leveling, nor is there a skill tree, it's still an rpg though. It has epic mining which is the only part that's much like games like minecraft, it also has Castlevania/Metroid/Zelda elements which is in the form of awesome loot, it also has nice original monster, epic boss fights, a goodTerraria is a game that has various cool elements brought together in epic ways, there isn't leveling, nor is there a skill tree, it's still an rpg though. It has epic mining which is the only part that's much like games like minecraft, it also has Castlevania/Metroid/Zelda elements which is in the form of awesome loot, it also has nice original monster, epic boss fights, a good soundtrack, and on the moment I'm typing this there is a big patch in development that will double the amount of items available in the game. If you like games that are rewarding, fun to play and the ability to easily sink up to hundreds or thousand of hours of gameplay without getting bored, this is the game. Expand
  96. Jul 16, 2013
    I can't say enough good things about this game. Old-school looks, randomly generated worlds, sandbox style go anywhere do anything game, it's like an SNES side scroller mixed with a RPG and minecraft. This game is just FUN and you can sink many hours into it. The only downside to this game is that it is no longer updated, because there is a lot more that could be added in.
  97. Oct 1, 2013
    I will not give a game a 10 unless its an all-time favorite. I think there are maybe 4-5 games I've ever played that I would give a 10. This is one of them.

I demand a lot from games, I detest the mainstream blandness. This game has absolute magic from beginning to end. I've played nearly 400 hours and the MASSIVE and GLORIOUS 1.2 Update just went live. See you in December.
  98. Aug 16, 2013
    I never regretted spending my time on this game. It just have enough content to enjoy for hours. Those who say it's a minecraft copy should play this game before saying that, because its false.
  99. Oct 11, 2013
    I love this game. Get over 100 hours into that game. This game is much deeper than you think you not only kill bosses and explore, but unlock modes found rare items make traps pvp with your friends and much more with 1.2 update it become one of my favorites sandbox games.
  100. Sep 5, 2013
    Terraria ist so GEIL Ihr müsst es im Multiplayer mit Freunden zocken wie Minecraft nur mit Vielen Funktionen es gibt Viele Bosse Neue Erze und Viele Items

1. Mar 19, 2012
    Terraria is one of the best sandbox games. Terraria has some Minecraft spirit, however the focus of the game is on fighting and crafting, so it involves more action. The best way to enjoy Terraria is to play it with a couple of friends on your own server.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    It's a title that will appeal to the adventurer, the explorer and the builder; not to mention those who appreciate a substantial amount of player freedom. If you happen to be all of those things, Terraria is a lightly tarnished treasure.
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    A lot of games tried to copy Minecraft – or at least participate from its' success. But this two-dimensional take on the well known formula is the only game that is able to step out of the shadow of the indie phenomenon that inspired it. It leads you into a unique world full of creative magic.