8.3

1. Apr 3, 2015
    I love the gameplay and weird style that this game has. The story is either very deep or the creator threw a bunch of random things together and knew we would try to analyze it and pick it apart. Either way I really enjoy how easy it is to turn this on and have a quick play-through.
  2. Mar 15, 2015
    This game is a dark but very fun time. It has a lot in common with the first Zelda game, which is a great thing. The game doesn't only sound great, it plays great too and I would recomend it to anyone who enjoys challenging games.
  3. Jan 23, 2015
    This "Game" made me seriously consider quitting video games from its very dark thems and its barbaric depictions of mutilated babies. I'll give it a one because uninstalling it made me feel better. Lets try out the sequel!
  4. Jan 17, 2015
    The Binding of Isaac is an amazingly rewarding game for its "randomly generated dungeon-looting" theme, which is somewhat unique in the larger gaming universe of today with standard RPGs and MMOs flooding the scene.

Definitely worth the price with countless hours of replay value.
  5. Jan 16, 2015
    I don't understand how could this game be so nice. It's a simple walk and shoot using the keyboard, but I spend many hours playing it.
    It have a rogue like style, that means you will learn what's the best way to play according you play.
  6. Jan 10, 2015
    Amazing game! Got 200+ hours in it and I can still enjoy it. If you like a challenge, this is your game. It won't disappoint.

At first the game can be quite frustrating, but once you get into it you can be so satisfied with your results.
  7. Jan 6, 2015
    Simply an amazing game. Everything from the "Story" to the Gameplay had me enjoying the entire experience from beginning to end. I took this game on the road with me everywhere I went if I could, simple small and fun.

Randomized dungeons every play. Randomized items with a huge variety, changing the overall experience with each play through. Aesthetic preferences aside, this game delivers. Difficult and challenging for a beginner perhaps, but it's a game that requires some skill. Refreshing to see in this day and age of ours. Worth the very very very miniscule price tag that completely undervalues the product.

I'm pretty sure I've bought this game more than twice.
  8. Jan 4, 2015
    Nevermind me, when I rated this game "zero" I was probably just in bad mood. Actually this game is awesome. Awesome and hard. For indie game this is masterpiece. Such games as this one and Super Meat Boy really ignites indie game industry.
  9. Dec 27, 2014
    Shows potential if it's ever finished, having a lack of things like an exit button in the menu ... ??? seriously??? If you can get this game for $3-4, go for it, not worth anything more, too many real games out there to dive for this one.
  10. Oct 28, 2014
    Do NOT listen to debigman, he is very wrong.
    And I find it kind of funny saying that barely anybody could get the achievements, yet Steam owners of Half Life 2 only 35% of them have beaten the first level. Anyway, here's my Steam review copied and pasted because I'm too lazy to type it all out again:
    Do NOT listen to debigman, he is very wrong.

The Binding of Isaac is a great example of a game which can both be simple and highly enjoyable. The game is very easy to get into and you'll be kicking butt right from the start, due to what weapons you'll get. The control is pretty straight forward, but not as good as it could be since I may accidently use items when I want to move. The difficulty from this game depends on which items you'll pick up along the way. With the Wrath of the Lamb DLC, it's even better than before. Gameplay wise, it sort of depends on which character you like to use. I use Cain for nice speed, having one of the better ingame attack stats and decent HP. The downsides for this game is the fact you can get bad items and how annoying it is trying to unlock some other items in the game. But the good outweighs the bad a lot and I would definitly pick up Wrath of the Lamb DLC to increase the amount of content.
    Graphic wise, I enjoy looking at the 16-bit style of this game and it looks pretty clean. And the music just kicks ass. I still can't get it out of my head!

The game is definitly worth $5. Probably one of the best $5 you'll ever spend, I actually wouldn't mind paying $10 or $15 dollars for this game! Or for free. I got it as a gift from my friend HonestCharlie. But seriously, the game is THAT good that you wouldn't care how much it costs. I would have given this a 9 if I was counting the DLC, but the normal game isn't quite as good without it so it gets a slightly lower score. Ready for my final verdict?

Gameplay: 9.0
    Control: 7.5
    Graphics: 9.0
    Music: 10.0
    Replayability: 10.0
    Unfairness: 4.0 (the lower the unfairness, the better)

FINAL SCORE: 8.7/10
    FANTASTIC
  11. Oct 25, 2014
    This game is so unique, and yet so hard. It angers me every time I lose but the thing is, I always come back for more. This is one of the best games I ever played, and I even stole it for $0.89, I should be charged with theft.
  12. Oct 6, 2014
    The best $5 you will ever spend on a video game.
    Wander naked as a deformed boy shooting tears at slabs of meat in his mom's uterus, and cry on her heart until it explodes.
    The best $5 you will ever spend on a video game.
    The Binding of Isaac is a game with deceptively simple mechanics, that sucks you in with its soundtrack and graphics, You'll want to play this indie gem over and over again. It's imaginative and utterly absorbing. If you enjoy games with non-optional permadeath, randomized content, tons of secrets and considerable replay value… it's hard to go wrong with The Binding of Isaac.
  13. Sep 22, 2014
    I love this game. It packs a Roguelike and Dungeon Crawler in one, with an insane difficulty. Sounds like my kind of game. The enemies, the bosses, and the items are just PERFECT. It really can't get any better. If you like LOZ, PLAY THIS GAME. If you like FTL, PLAY THIS GAME. If you don't like difficulty, DON'T, I mean DON'T play this game. It can take you 20 hours of gameplay to beat itI love this game. It packs a Roguelike and Dungeon Crawler in one, with an insane difficulty. Sounds like my kind of game. The enemies, the bosses, and the items are just PERFECT. It really can't get any better. If you like LOZ, PLAY THIS GAME. If you like FTL, PLAY THIS GAME. If you don't like difficulty, DON'T, I mean DON'T play this game. It can take you 20 hours of gameplay to beat it for the first time. You will get frustrated often, but all the new unlocks and secrets make up for it. You WILL want to beat it as soon as you touch it.
    BUY THIS GAME.
  14. Aug 7, 2014
    A lot of companies should learn form this game. First lest have biblical references, mix it with dark humor in a childrish style of graphics, an awesome dungeon crawler gameplay and BOOM you get TBoI. Also the DLC is amazing and such references to the original sin, king Midas, Satan, the hangwire reresenting blasphemy... this game is so sinful and disgusting that I love it.
  15. Aug 5, 2014
    This game is the most re-playable game that is made and will ever be made. I love this game so much. Sadly, achievements don't work on mac. So much content, that even me, with hundreds of hours of gameplay, have not completed this game 100%.
  16. Aug 4, 2014
    This game is so ridiculously difficult that it makes Dark Souls set on hard look like a kid's game. You can expect to live about 3 or 4 minutes on average. I don't know how people can think this is a good game when you can only play 3 minutes before dying. It is not even fair how poor the controls are. You have basically no chance to win. Look at the stats. On Steam, 37% of the playersThis game is so ridiculously difficult that it makes Dark Souls set on hard look like a kid's game. You can expect to live about 3 or 4 minutes on average. I don't know how people can think this is a good game when you can only play 3 minutes before dying. It is not even fair how poor the controls are. You have basically no chance to win. Look at the stats. On Steam, 37% of the players couldn't even get the EASIEST of the 84 achievements. How sad is that? Unless you are a masochist, please don't waste your money. Expand
  17. Aug 4, 2014
    Be warned: this game is ROGUE. If you do not like dying a bunch and restarting from scratch over and over, this is not for you. If you do not like challenging games, borderline frustrating deaths, this game is not for you. I died over 300 times in 60 hours= about one death (restart) every 12 minutes.

This is the epitome of old-school rogue games. Main difference is that each

This is the epitome of old-school rogue games. Main difference is that each play-through is random instead of the same exact thing every time. That said, you will often find yourself playing in much the same manner over and over again. Items are random, so some runs you will get lucky and others you will get unlucky.

At one point I considered it just barely above a flash game, now I find it's pretty decent, I played over 60 hours, though not all of them were fun. Buy it on sale, I don't value it at $5. If you're patient and willing to master the simple but challenging gameplay, give it a shot.
  18. Jul 10, 2014
    this game is so cool. the first 1 hour of playing it like me you will have no idea what is going on. but after 3 hours of gameplay the game becomes unique. and its only 5 pounds. must buy.
  19. Jul 8, 2014
    This is a great game, that can give you hundreds of hours of varied gameplay, for a low price of admission. I would best describe this as a Rogue-like meets the original Legend of Zelda, but it really goes way beyond that simple description. Basically, you play through randomly generated dungeons reminiscent of the dungeons from LoZ using a choice of six different characters, w/ eachThis is a great game, that can give you hundreds of hours of varied gameplay, for a low price of admission. I would best describe this as a Rogue-like meets the original Legend of Zelda, but it really goes way beyond that simple description. Basically, you play through randomly generated dungeons reminiscent of the dungeons from LoZ using a choice of six different characters, w/ each character playing like a traditional RPG "class" like the Warrior, Druid, Cleric, etc. There are a total of six "chapters" for each play-through, and each "chapter" contains two floors. On each floor you will find at least one treasure room, 2 secret rooms, and one boss room, w/ a lot of other possible "bonus rooms" thrown in like the Shop, Arcade, or Library. The general idea of the game is to battle your way through each floor collecting power-ups that do things like give you a different type of shot (for example homing shots, or turning your regular "bullets" into missiles), increase your stats (Health, Speed, Damage, Shot Rate, and Range), or give you other items that alter the way you interact with the world and the enemies. This is what some of the other reviewers here don't seem to get, this game is all about finding, and using, all the really neat and widely varied power-ups with the different characters to complete the game in different ways. It's easy to see that some of the other reviewers did not spend a lot of time with the game b/c the true genius of this game isn't apparent after just an hour or two, or even a play-through or two. Since the game features randomly generated rooms, strung together to form new dungeons every time you play, when you mix that with the literally HUNDREDS of items, and power-ups that significantly alter game play, you will never play the same game twice.

I can understand not everyone "getting" this game, it IS quite difficult until you really get a hang of the feel of the controls, and there are certain points where the game actually makes itself harder (after defeating certain bosses, or completing the game a certain number of times) and for the longest time I played w/ the browser open in the background so I could look and see what a certain item did. Then there is the story...which is a bit, weird (to put it mildly). The story is loosely based off of the Biblical story of Abraham and his son Isaac, whom god ordered Abraham to sacrifice as a show of faith, fear and obedience. I don't see why anyone would take offense, but then again, I'm not a very religious person. But, imho, all these are very minor quibbles with what I have found to be one of the best values for my gaming dollars EVER.

If you ever see this game on sale during a Steam sale, do yourself a favor and grab this game, you can get both the original + the xpac for like $3 when they have it up at 75% off. At that price, this should be a no brainer.
  20. Jun 13, 2014
    I am conflicted about what to say about TBoI. On the one hand, I have played it obsessively and found it fun and frustrating in equal turns. Of course, that is how I felt about Edmund McMillen's other smash-hit PC game, Super Meat Boy, and that is one of my favorite independent games. Isaac has a similar sense of humor, though it is even darker, and that could certainly turn some peopleI am conflicted about what to say about TBoI. On the one hand, I have played it obsessively and found it fun and frustrating in equal turns. Of course, that is how I felt about Edmund McMillen's other smash-hit PC game, Super Meat Boy, and that is one of my favorite independent games. Isaac has a similar sense of humor, though it is even darker, and that could certainly turn some people off (but, hey, if you look for two seconds at the game you're purchasing, you should know what to expect). I found most of the grotesquery pretty amusing, but certain things still managed to turn my stomach. The art design and music are both absolutely perfect (I suggest a soundtrack purchase, honestly), and the game feels like a cohesive piece of morbid art. Where it has issues is in the gameplay. Isaac is a rougelike, meaning you progress through randomly generated levels with little foreknowledge of what to expect, little idea of what to do, and when you die, you come all the way back to the start. One of the hallmarks of the rougelike is the typically insane difficulty, and this is due in part to the lack of information given about items, enemies, and the like. I love rougelikes (this game is among the three best on Steam, in my opinion, with Dungeons of Dredmor and FTL filling out the list) for these very elements--it's great, for instance to equip an item, only to learn that it has a high risk-reward factor, and say, "So it's going to be one of THOSE runs"--but I can understand that the high difficulty would again turn some away. Isaac's issues don't come with the randomness, but rather, with the controls. Isaac feels too slippery, especially when you receive speed boosts, and this can lead to many, many "cheap deaths." Also, the game is set in mostly confined rooms, and Isaac's sprite is just too large; his hit box can even grow with certain items, making his life extremely difficult to save. Also, after beating the main boss for the first time (I'll leave them nameless so it can be a surprise), I felt a rush of achievement and exhilaration...only to not get the achievement. I looked it up--certain achievements are a bit glitchy, meaning they could come the next time you open the game, or maybe you might have to just re-achieve them. Oy vey! I purchased the DLC for the game as well, which is a great expansion, but I suggest getting used to the base game first because the DLC is even harder. For what it's worth, if you're ready for the challenge of your life, pick this game up and revel in its silly, macabre humor. Good luck. If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, you ought to back away slowly, and pretend you never stumbled into this game. Expand
  21. Jun 5, 2014
    Fantastic game, as long as you're okay with some gross dark humor. It's hard at first, but get in the zone and you'll be playing this for a lot longer than intended. If you're a classic Legend of Zelda fan, you'll appreciate this game even more. I like it because it's incredibly fun for long or short periods of time.
  22. May 28, 2014
    Pretty awesome though quite sick occasionally. Though I find it unplayable with anyone other than Cain.

The programer is occasionally spotty (java, man oh man) and bugs have gone unfixed (some items apparently do nothing..?) but I really do enjoy this one.
  23. May 17, 2014
    Absolutely cool game!! I`ve never seen games like that!!! Thanks for the game and nice soundtracks)! This is the best indi-game i`ve ever played before!!!! Dani Baranovski, you are the best!!!!
  24. May 14, 2014
    Dark with endless replay ability. Stupid amounts of fun if you enjoy rogue like games. Soon to be remade and extended greatly as The binding of Isaac Rebirth.
  25. May 13, 2014
    This is a rogue-like. An infuriatingly difficult rogue-like. The randomly generated levels, enemies, items drops and bosses makes BoI extraordinarily re-playable. The art is gross, the music is creepy, and the anti-religious theme is controversial. I love it. It makes for a violent and hilarious game.

Pros: - Fast paced action - Great replay, random generation! - Smooth controls -

Pros:
    - Fast paced action
    - Great replay, random generation!
    - Smooth controls
    - Easy to learn, hard to master
    - Hilarious art and effects
    - Tons of weird and gross items/enemies/traps/bosses/maps

Cons:
    - Rage quittingly difficult
    - No controller support
    - Flash game
    - Item explanations are occasionally vague

A really great game that will provide you your money's worth. Your girlfriend will be grossed out and you will laugh. Laugh until you begin howling with fury. 82/100
  26. Feb 18, 2014
    Easily one of my top 5 favorite games ever. The randomness, difficulty,and insane amount of strategy involved makes this still fun to play, even to this day. If you never played this game, and don't mind a few mature themes, do yourself a favor and pick this up as soon as possible.
  27. Feb 16, 2014
    +Infinite replay value ; every run is different
    +Challanging ; you have to play with what you get
    +Hilarious ; the appearance chance can makes Issac very funny looking

-Might be too difficult for people who're new to the genre
  28. Feb 6, 2014
    Let's talk about Zelda for a second. It was a good game in it's time, and is still addicting and fun today. But I feel like that kind of fun is squandered upon newer, higher- tech games. It's the system of trial-and-error that makes you want to play it for hours on end. And that's what The Binding of Isaac is. There are no saves or checkpoints. It gives you a keyboard and mouse and saysLet's talk about Zelda for a second. It was a good game in it's time, and is still addicting and fun today. But I feel like that kind of fun is squandered upon newer, higher- tech games. It's the system of trial-and-error that makes you want to play it for hours on end. And that's what The Binding of Isaac is. There are no saves or checkpoints. It gives you a keyboard and mouse and says "scratch your ass with this and see what happens". Once you find out that it probably won't do anything, you realize something. You realize that you have, in fact, been scratching your ass the entire time. Or it seems that way because the game is so hard! Anyway, I digress. Just like Zelda, they give you a game and you play it. And eventually get better and better, until you scratch your ass so hard that magical fairies pop out and make you beat the game. It teaches you not to be an idiot, and gives you a couple magic beans along the way to help you win. All the bosses and the entire story is based on the bible. Your mom is a christian fanatic, and she hears a "voice from God" telling her that Isaac (the character you play as) is a spawn of Satan, so she tries to kill him with a butcher knife. Out of fear, you find a trapdoor under the carpet which brings you down to the basement, where you fight monsters that look like they come straight from some deranged kid's sketchbook. But the cartoony, creepy art style is what makes the experience more magical. Overall, this game is super addictive, just don't play it at an age where it will scare the crap out of you.

Also, don't try and explain it to your parents. The conversation I had went something like this: "What is that game?" "It's a zelda-like top down shooter where your mom thinks you're a spawn of Satan so she tries to kill you with a butcher knife and you find a trapdoor and-" "Okay! I've heard enough! I don't know if I want you playing that though..."
  29. Feb 6, 2014
    A great "five more minutes game". I'll just try it one more time. Oh, I almost made it to the womb. OK, I gotta try again. Oh, I unlocked a new item. Better go look for that.

There is no stopping this game.
  30. Feb 4, 2014
    absolutely perfect game. even with all the newest and fanciest games installed on my computer. I still find myself coming back to Isaac over and over again even after getting all the achievements.

1. Mar 19, 2012
    The Binding of Isaac looks like an old school game like the original Zeldas, but with a dark scenario and dark humor. It has the typical difficulty of a McMillen game, which is not found anywhere else these days. This game will motivate you to try and try again in such a simple way – just brilliant. If you like the style and the old school gameplay of The Binding of Isaac, you'll have a lot of fun with it.
  2. Mar 10, 2012
    One may play for an hour or two, but they're constantly tempted to go back in and uncover the scads of remaining secrets. It's a style of game that really intrigues me, and one I want to see more of
  3. Feb 28, 2012
    Zelda meets Robotron: Isaac celebrates old school topdown action in randomly generated dungeons.