8.1

1. Jan 14, 2012
    This game is excellent! if you've played Gemini Rue by the same company (one of my most favorite games) then you will love this aswell. The only bad thing about this game is that its way to short, so i would suggest getting all 4 which they sell as a bundle off of steam for way low price of $15. If you like the point and click style adventure games than you should seriously play this, theThis game is excellent! if you've played Gemini Rue by the same company (one of my most favorite games) then you will love this aswell. The only bad thing about this game is that its way to short, so i would suggest getting all 4 which they sell as a bundle off of steam for way low price of $15. If you like the point and click style adventure games than you should seriously play this, the graphics are an early 90's style which has alot of charm to it and you will either like or dislike... One of the best things about Wadgeteye Games who made this and Gemini Rue was the fact that it has no hint system, we can all get a walkthrough online for any game but id personally rather walk around for an hour pulling my hair out because im stuck trying to figure it out and finally figure it out and feel accomplished than to just click a button and be told how to do it...maybe thats just me. If you think the graphics are oldscool so it must suck then you are wrong, ask yourself do you think the first 3 Star Wars movies are worse than the newer 3 because it was made nearly 40 years ago? i think the old ones are better, again, that might just be me. Excellent game, hope they keep making more oldschool style ADV games (especially Sci-fi like Gemini Rue) :) Expand
  2. Jan 15, 2012
    The Blackwell Legacy is the first title in a series of four (thus far) adventure games set in present day New York City. The game itself follows the seemingly antiheroine protagonist Rosangela Blackwell, a young twenty-something writer who struggles to find her place in the world after the death of her only remaining relative. T.B.L. uses an engine called Adventure Game Studio or AGS forThe Blackwell Legacy is the first title in a series of four (thus far) adventure games set in present day New York City. The game itself follows the seemingly antiheroine protagonist Rosangela Blackwell, a young twenty-something writer who struggles to find her place in the world after the death of her only remaining relative. T.B.L. uses an engine called Adventure Game Studio or AGS for short, so 'old school' admirers will no doubt get a kick out of the retro sprites used instead of modern day animation for graphics. Sadly, Legacy is rather short and can be finished in a single session over a rainy day weekend yet it only makes you hungry for more! :D Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2012
    I wasn't too impressed with this one. There's not a whole lot of user interaction and there are several spots where it feels more like listening to a book than playing a game. The inventory system is useless and the notebook mechanics need improvement. As a stand alone game, it offers an ok story that ends too abruptly leaving too many unanswered questions. I can only hope there's more toI wasn't too impressed with this one. There's not a whole lot of user interaction and there are several spots where it feels more like listening to a book than playing a game. The inventory system is useless and the notebook mechanics need improvement. As a stand alone game, it offers an ok story that ends too abruptly leaving too many unanswered questions. I can only hope there's more to unravel from the sequels, yet this first episode left nothing that compels me to play them. Expand
  4. Jul 14, 2013
    Definitely a good adventure game, with a very interesting story behind and so much more to know about in the next chapters. It plays as an old style adventure game by point and click, both in graphics and interactions, and while some might "dislike" the old style graphics, it's also one of its charms. However, my biggest grudges of this game are mainly 3: 1) The main character. While it'sDefinitely a good adventure game, with a very interesting story behind and so much more to know about in the next chapters. It plays as an old style adventure game by point and click, both in graphics and interactions, and while some might "dislike" the old style graphics, it's also one of its charms. However, my biggest grudges of this game are mainly 3: 1) The main character. While it's simple and "normal" in her own way, I honestly never liked her whiny and moaning attitude that "often" happens during the game: I know it's how she is and that a normal person would "probably" act like this, but I just couldn't get into her like the developers hoped for. It's not a Guybrush Threepwood, but not even a bad one either. 2) Too easy. Aside from some specific points where it required some attention, the game is very easy to figure out how to play and even if I admit that I DID look at a walkthrough, I only did it twice, and only because I have missed some dialogues. I don't think it's a big flaw, but I do hope it'll be better in the next installments. 3) Too short. Finished in about 4-5 hours...the game itself isn't expensive, sure, but it ended so fast! I was enjoying the story so much when the game stopped, and even if I know there's other chapters to play, the fact that it's short is a bit concerning. But aside from that, this is a very nice adventure game and I can see a lot getting unfolded in the next installments. Give it a look and see for yourself: if you like this one, you will probably continue the story. Expand
  5. Nov 23, 2014
    I should start off by saying i'm not a fan of point-and-clicks to begin with. The Blackwell Legacy didn't change that. I played this because i was told it had a great story and was one of the better point and clicks available. I thought the story wasn't any good. Your typical run of the mill story that had an unlikable protagonist. The mechanics were the same as all other games in theI should start off by saying i'm not a fan of point-and-clicks to begin with. The Blackwell Legacy didn't change that. I played this because i was told it had a great story and was one of the better point and clicks available. I thought the story wasn't any good. Your typical run of the mill story that had an unlikable protagonist. The mechanics were the same as all other games in the genre and I didn't see anything that would set it apart. Disappointing. Expand
  6. Jul 22, 2012
    An AMAZING! Point & Click Adventure game, for those who are fans of that genre should definitely check this game out. The Story is absolutely wonderful, and you find yourself playing without the care of what time is it. While intrigue to solve the mystery. The only negative, is that this game story is short. Yes, way too short. But, that doesn't take away any of the goodies it contains.An AMAZING! Point & Click Adventure game, for those who are fans of that genre should definitely check this game out. The Story is absolutely wonderful, and you find yourself playing without the care of what time is it. While intrigue to solve the mystery. The only negative, is that this game story is short. Yes, way too short. But, that doesn't take away any of the goodies it contains. Besides the short story line, I highly do recommend it.
  7. Jul 17, 2013
    The game is well done and fair on the puzzles. the story is good and lets you into.
    I find the scenario and graphics good enough.
    I understand this is the first chapter of a series, but it's too short.
    Even for me, that I am horrible at playing adventure games, its short.
    although I do feel game difficulty is just right, to get most of ppl involved.
    Good game overall, short experience
  8. Dec 8, 2013
    Presentation 5
    Blackwell Legacy is an old School point and click game with equally old school visual.
    Despite looking like an old sierra game from the 90’s it was actually made back in 2006. You will have to put in consideration that this is an indie game, so the productions values won’t be AAA grade. Other than that, the environments are fairly well drawn and colorful, but the low res
    Presentation 5
    Other than that, the environments are fairly well drawn and colorful, but the low res sprites make distinguish stuff in the background a difficult task some times.
    The animations are decent; they do their job and that’s it.
    Sound 7
    The voice acting is composed mostly of amateurs but it is surprisingly good, considering. Makes you think about the supposed “professional” voice actors we ear in AAA games these days.
    The sound quality is not the best, but it won’t put you off.
    The soundtrack, although a bit unconventional, works well in the games favor.
    Story 7
    The story centers around a loner named Rosangela Blackwell, who’s a writer/reporter for an obscure journal. After the death of her aunt’s, she finds out that she is actually a medium, imbued with the task of helping ghost move on to the afterlife with the help of a ghost named Joey.
    Although the meat of the story and the ending, are a bit lack luster, what makes the game worthwhile is seeing how the two main characters, Joey and Rosangela, build their relationship throughout the game.
    Gameplay 6
    The gameplay is very basic but effective: your task is to simply find and combine clues with an aid of a notebook, in order to uncover the reasons behind a mysterious suicide. That is it!
    The problem with this system is that it is very limiting. The second problem is that there is little for you to do or interact, throughout the course of the game, which makes it feel like a giant cut scene. And the third problem, it is too easy.

Value 5
    My other gripe with the game is that it is extremely short: about 2 to 3 hours long, although the developer added some commentaries and extras, I don’t see the value in paying full price for it, when there is better point and click games out there in the same price range.
    So, if you want to try it out, I recommend you buying the Blackwell Bundle which comes with the complete series (four games at the moment).
    In conclusion: Blackwell Legacy is an interesting point and click game that I think will satisfy the fans of the gender, but it will not convert “non believers”.
    I give it a 6/10 (7/10 for the fans of point and click games)
  9. Aug 7, 2013
    As the first it does it's job in setting up the gameplay and the story, however I felt the story didn't get started fast enough, but that's just my opinion. I swear is some hangs outside a building, claiming to know everyone I'd thump him.

A fun little adventure game with a lot of questions about the metaphisical and what happens to spirits when they finally pass on either with sins as living or sins they developed whilst a spirit. Wadjet games appear to be all about the story which is why I'm going to keep supporting this company.
  10. Jun 27, 2014
    Point'n'click classy adventure with a redhead, not very social "journalist" as a main character. Story was pretty good with logical gameplay (not just random combining stuff like in many adventure games) although not very long. What I like most on this game is that every single conversation is dubbed.

1. Although it doesn't quite match the classics, The Blackwell Legacy has more to offer than just nostalgia. Its appeal will depend on how interesting you find the story.
  2. If this were a TV show, one watch of this and any TV network would commission a full series – much like any adventure game fan who tries this will almost certainly follow this series throughout its run - provided it sticks to a somewhat regular release schedule.
  3. The Blackwell Legacy is an outstandingly written and acted adventure game, only held back by limitations of the fairly primitive game engine and, perhaps, some design decisions. It readily gets a "Thumb Up" from this reviewer. As one who particularly enjoys story and narrative, I found The Blackwell Legacy to be compelling, involving, memorable.