6.5

1. Aug 20, 2013
    Console. Port. And not a great one at that. Graphics are fine. Settings and story telling is fine. Mouse and keyboard controls are horrible on the verge to unplayable. Especially for a cover to cover shooter. If it would have had the same controls as Ghost Recon Future Soldier it would be fine. Loading stutter interrupts flow as well. Might be fixed with patching but I don't really feelConsole. Port. And not a great one at that. Graphics are fine. Settings and story telling is fine. Mouse and keyboard controls are horrible on the verge to unplayable. Especially for a cover to cover shooter. If it would have had the same controls as Ghost Recon Future Soldier it would be fine. Loading stutter interrupts flow as well. Might be fixed with patching but I don't really feel compelled to pick it up again. Expand
  2. Oct 30, 2013
    Well the gameplay is amazing and it's the very main interest in that game. It's speed, hard and you pay your errors cash.

The main cons are the franchise and the story telling. This game is between two worlds: Action/aventure and RPG. I wish they had make a clearer choice. FOr now we feel stuck between fake freedom and a clumsy rithm. Second, the franchise. All the x-com fans must be pissed of. I understand that. Forget about the franchise and the game is even better.
  3. Dec 21, 2013
    Not a FPS as I know it, Not a XCOM as I know it, strange, completed once, feeling tricked. Glad that I got it discounted. Not my favorite game, bit dissapointed. Love first XCOM and OK with Firaxis's XCOM.
  4. May 25, 2014
    The Bureau is a prime example of how complaining fanboys can ruin a game. The original FPS version of this game looked like it would be filled with story and immersion while taking a lighter take on the strategy. Everyone whined about it and they changed it to be a tactical TPS instead. The story itself had all the makings of being good, but the terrible animations and voice acting killedThe Bureau is a prime example of how complaining fanboys can ruin a game. The original FPS version of this game looked like it would be filled with story and immersion while taking a lighter take on the strategy. Everyone whined about it and they changed it to be a tactical TPS instead. The story itself had all the makings of being good, but the terrible animations and voice acting killed any opportunity for the player to get involved with it. Being a TPS, it was very difficult to get immersed in the world because i never really felt like I was there. The tactics themselves are crap. Even on the hardest difficulty, there is absolutely no reason for you to try to flank enemies because of how awful the AI is. If you try to move you squad around, they'll just jump out of cover and immediately get downed. So you're stuck with straight firefights and skill spam. There is little depth in your character. The high point of Enemy Unknown was that you could completely customize every aspect of your character. In The Bureau, you can change their cosmetic appearance, but the weapons and backpacks are all unlocked at set times throughout the story and the later you acquire them, the better the gun is. There is nothing interesting about it. The skill trees are boring, you'll either have 1 or 2 options each time you level. The game is just very shallow. You can see that there are good ideas, But due to public outcry against a game they've never played, the developers had to constantly change their vision of the game until it has become the unfinished, sloppy mess that it is today. It's still an enjoyable game at times. If you're a fan of tactical shooters, it's well worth a single playthrough. Just don't expect to be wowed. Expand
  5. Jan 25, 2014
    A lot of people seem to think this is an attempt to remake X-Com from a third-person viewpoint. It's not, and if you come in thinking that it is, you will be sorely disappointed. Instead, this is an entirely different game, taking place in the X-Com Universe.

The game clearly took inspiration from Mass Effect - the fighting, the dialog choices, even many of the abilities are set up exactly the same. However, it's missing the RPG-elements and side-quests that made Mass Effect so great. It seems like a game made by Mass Effect fans, who didn't quite 'get' what made the game so great. Thus, if you haven't played Mass Effect before, you should be playing that instead: you'll have basically the same experience but 100x better. And if you have played it, you'll probably be disappointed by this poor clone.
  6. Aug 24, 2013
    Okay if you have never played an XCOM before then this game will be interesting and possibly fun, The game has a decent story and even though the firefights are repetitive they are still a little fun.....But if you have played XCOM before then this game is not what you want. It has ABSOLUTELY no relation to the events of the other games, the gameplay is different the story is completelyOkay if you have never played an XCOM before then this game will be interesting and possibly fun, The game has a decent story and even though the firefights are repetitive they are still a little fun.....But if you have played XCOM before then this game is not what you want. It has ABSOLUTELY no relation to the events of the other games, the gameplay is different the story is completely different and the only thing that this game and the others share is the XCOM Expand
  7. Oct 21, 2013
    My first review on Metacritic, but I just had to comment on this game as I find its score a bit unfair. The Bureau is not a perfect game, but the score of 6.4 is very unfair to it.
    Had they NOT used the name XCOM then I think the score would be even higher, but fans of XCOM got angry because it is a different kind of game then the original et al. BUT BUT BUT you guys need to embrace ideas like this, as they try something new with a beautiful franscise.
    We fans should embrace these attempts and allow games like this to develop and not slate and destroy them just because "it is not XCOM boohoo".

The Bureau is a fresh take and copies the Mass Effect combat system in many ways and IMPROVING it greatly. The combat system is actually unique and I personally don't know ANY game that is so good in its team AI tactics and gameplay. You have alot of choices and it would be nice if more games had these ideas.

The graphics are actually really pretty and the world is interesting. Yes it is linear. Yes it has hidden walls. These things are a negative, but the idea of what they tried should be embraced.

The story is amazing. Some may disagree, but I find myself enjoying the strange atmosphere and the alien base mission was just.....good. The main missions are good. Good. Good is enough. In the older XCOM games the story was....basic. Even in the newest version the story wasn't that great. IN the Bureau they try and flesh it out more and it is a nice attempt

I will stop here and conclude that this game is worth a go for 20 euros (on kinguin). It has so much potential and I think a sequel or a spin off of these ideas would be fantastic if they took this game and made it better, cutting out all the flaws. This is a gold mine for fresh ideas and it deserves at least some minor praise for attempting something new.
  8. Jul 7, 2014
    "X-com's style of strategy" my arse. It's nothing but an unnecessary and overcomplicated mess taken after Mass Effect's formula. Instead of having all abilities conveniently conveyed to you via HOTKEYS, WHICH YOU HAVE OVER 20+ OF ON A KEYBOARD, you have to clumsily jump through character to character in order to take use of them and adapt to swapping viewpoints like an indecisive CCTV"X-com's style of strategy" my arse. It's nothing but an unnecessary and overcomplicated mess taken after Mass Effect's formula. Instead of having all abilities conveniently conveyed to you via HOTKEYS, WHICH YOU HAVE OVER 20+ OF ON A KEYBOARD, you have to clumsily jump through character to character in order to take use of them and adapt to swapping viewpoints like an indecisive CCTV operator making the entire game scream "CONSOLE PORT" so badly, I cannot even begin to note it all. But what I can note is the painfully apparent rushing of this game. The character (whom is a skinny, malnourished and sleep-deprived 1960's human) pushes up 15+ ton vault doors like they're made out of styrofoam, REPEATEDLY as early as in the first 15 minutes of the game. Just cutscenes, right? Sadly, every other cutscene I've seen so far involving facial viewing has not only a downright wrong lipsynching but the developers also went that extra feet to feed every gamer uninspired dialoge through the "cake" system.

But enough graphical. How are the controls for steering your character besides the moronic order-giving? They're horrible as well sadly. You sprint (shift) to take cover. You sprint (shift) to vault over things. You sprint (shift) to sprint. And only forward. How dare you presume that controls will be suited for an actual keyboard mouse whereas you can hold down sprint with one hand and perhaps press something else than forward as you just bought the game for 50€ to have it on a PERSONAL COMPUTER? But the controls aren't even the worst part though.

The AI is the most rotten piece of this turd. I have lost count on how many times they flop behind you, dying repeatedly from not keeping up without your constant micromanagement (turning it into a put that foot infront of the other chore) just to keep them alive or how they are insanely eager to run into the middle of the battle-field at a moments notice when fighting breaks out. Even guys I have recruited with extra stamina (survival, more hp etc.) flops dead within split seconds of a mission if I don't pause every other second to give them non-braindead advice on where to be, run from grenades and not try to snipe enemies with shotguns and instead aim at the ones that are 2 feet to the left. Combine that with the extremely tedious combat of having to headshot most things 12 times, there's not much more that can be said about this embarassing flop of a title.

Needless to say, this game is a shame and a surprising one at that considering the previous, excellent X-com release that integrated just fine onto a PC from a console even when the launch had a few bugs so I would whole-heartedly recommend everyone to stay away from this game unless you can get it for 10$ or less.
  9. Aug 25, 2013
    When I first launched this game, I expected an xcom game reimagined as a third person shooter and also somewhat of a prequel.
    What I got was a horribly designed Mass Effect 3 combat game with cheesy but somewhat interesting storyline, horrible AI and even more horrible UI.
    The game clearly lacks polish as a lot of sounds appear to be missing. You can see that during some of the cutscenes. Sloppy sound design.
    Controls are horrible and unresponsive. This game is a horrible, half-assed console port. At least there are some graphics options to be had. Sadly, the game still looks really horrible, graphically.
    You can't configure it SHIFT is used to sprint, take cover and run out of cover. Not to mention that shooting from cover is a pain in the ass in certain positions.
    The UI is unresponsive and horribly designed. You can clearly experience the 'amazing' loading times when customizing your agents. When in-game in combat, you can see the console port. There are no use of hotkeys during combat.
    Luckily, the combat in this game is somewhat pleasant. The guns feel powerful enough and the enemies feel real and dangerous enough for a thrill while fighting.
    I have to admit, the plot twist caught me off guard. It's certainly interesting and makes your brain twist at times. Although the characters felt very shallow and boring, the story was solid enough to keep me going until the end.
    Don't drop the game if you get bored at the start play for a few hours. The story gets more interesting midway in the game. There are even some choices towards the end of the game that will give you an extra hour or two if you replay the game.
    The fact that the character animations and lipsync were half-assed made the whole experience worse.
    Overall, I honestly think the game would have been a lot better with more development time. The story was definitely unique and original, to say the least. However, the game lacks polish.
    This game is probably one of the main of examples of sloppy, underdone and mediocre developer work.
    Under the horrible graphics, AI, UI, design choices and character development lies an interesting, compelling and thought provoking story. Sadly, that 'interesting' part (the plot twist) is by the end of the game.
  10. Aug 23, 2013
    Very nice! Traced connection with XCOM Enemy Unknown. And explain WHAT happened on Earth from the beginning. Cool! Graphics, styling, interface overall outstanding! Thank you SO MUCH, 2K Marin and 2K Games! Well DONE! Just keep going!
  11. Aug 23, 2013
    Considering the Bureau's long and painful production cycle (wonderfully explained on polygon.com), it turned out to be a surprisingly good game. Certainly it has its flaws, like the inconsistent plot (for a while it seems like the game is a parody on B-movies, but it's not, stuff's presented seriously) with cliche characters, out-of-place moral decisions, the dialogues, sometimes reachingConsidering the Bureau's long and painful production cycle (wonderfully explained on polygon.com), it turned out to be a surprisingly good game. Certainly it has its flaws, like the inconsistent plot (for a while it seems like the game is a parody on B-movies, but it's not, stuff's presented seriously) with cliche characters, out-of-place moral decisions, the dialogues, sometimes reaching unprecedented degrees of stupidity (Alien interrogation. It's VERY dumb.), the cheesy voice acting and moderately clunky controls. But it's the gameplay that still manages to pull the game out of depths of awfulness. While using Mass Effect's combat system as a foundation, The Bureau expands on it, providing some interesting tactical situations. Here, especially on the harder difficulties, the Rambo style won't work, you'll have to manage your squad's actions. (The squadmates on their own are pretty dumb, can't use their powers and tend to run out into the open and get incapacitated.) The Bureau's path to being released was long and winding, but the developers managed to make the game quite enjoyable. It's one of the games I clearly see a sequel to: so many mistakes await to be fixed and with that done, we'll get a great game instead of a good one. Expand
  12. Aug 20, 2013
    Well the game's story is somewhat weak... They borrowed ideas from 'Mass Effect' to 'Dead Space', and of course from the original 'XCOM'. The characters are all two-dimensional, cardboard clichés at best. The dialogues are cheesy and not too developed. The gameplay is somewhat clunchy (also a lot of Mass Effect influence here), but it is the best part of the game. I liked the idea thatWell the game's story is somewhat weak... They borrowed ideas from 'Mass Effect' to 'Dead Space', and of course from the original 'XCOM'. The characters are all two-dimensional, cardboard clichés at best. The dialogues are cheesy and not too developed. The gameplay is somewhat clunchy (also a lot of Mass Effect influence here), but it is the best part of the game. I liked the idea that experience points, perks, traits and team and character customization were implemented. The side missions are repetitive and the whole game could be a billion times better with more care for the details. It would have been better with implemented world map strategy elements, base building, research and micro-management. I would rate this 57%... Not very bad, but could have been much better Expand
  13. Aug 31, 2013
    This is probably one of the most generic games I've ever played.

+Guns work +60's style is somewhat realized here. +When you shoot at enemies from the side or from behind, it does bonus damage. -Graphics are really outdated, plastic looking faces, hair, and washed out textures. Except for the 2 main characters. -It has audiologs... in giant movie reels... kind of retarded way to
    This is probably one of the most generic games I've ever played.

+Guns work
    +60's style is somewhat realized here.
    +When you shoot at enemies from the side or from behind, it does bonus damage.

-It has audiologs... in giant movie reels... kind of retarded way to add audio. How do common people record their thoughts with giant movie reels? It makes no sense. They threw it in because most FPS/TPS have it now. Suffice to say it's really boring dialogue. Nobody has anything interesting to say.
    -Characters are almost non-existent.
    -Story is the same story as every single sci-fi movie out there. Aliens attack, they have a hive mind and must attack this central point.
    -Reclaiming a nuclear missile silo is overtaken by aliens and it's listed as a "minor mission"?
    -AI is downright lazy, not just bad, they run into walls, move right into incoming fire, they will ignore you if you shoot at them from the side/behind,

When ordering your squad mates to move to an area they either
    A. stay there whatever happens.. even if they are ambushed, they don't tell you that they are and they die.
    Or B. They move away from the position you told them to stay in for no apparent reason... even if that position is a good one.

Theres no hold position command, so when a squad mate gets shot down and cries for help.. all your men will run into enemy fire and die to try and save the man.. regardless of how insane that is.
  14. Aug 26, 2013
    To be fair, I think if The Bureau was the first XCOM game out there it would be perceived very differently.
    Graphics were pretty decent and the gameplay wasn't all that bad for a port. By the end of it I was actually enjoying the command menu. Even the story, while a bit shallow and not very original, could be forgiven had it not been an almost exact copy of previous XCOM titles.
    If

If I had to describe with one word what was wrong with this game is that it felt Recycled.

And that goes for pretty much every aspect of the game. Storyline, environments, enemies, NPC's and even the gameplay. There was really nothing original about this game and unfortunately that realization comes pretty early in the game. Also what bothered me is that there seemed to be no logical connection from one even to another, which is most evident with the sleepwalkers.

So to sum it up:
    - not enough story
    - not enough action missions
    - not enough unique mission objectives
    - not enough unique environments and/or enemies
    - too much pointless running around the base

Again, not a terrible game in it's own, but definitely not worth full price.
  15. Aug 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game feels so rushed and I really, really wanted to enjoy it. Issuing orders to your team is cumbersome, the feel of the controls and gameplay needs a bunch of polish, a number of the gameplay elements do not flow correctly. For Example:
    - Characters talking but their lips are not moving.
    - You are in cut scene but yet your team in the middle of it start trying to engage enemies as if you were in an actual fight
    - The people you talk to know things they should not know yet (such as your situation and who you are with)
    - One part I was ask to pick up a radio "Over there" implying that where the NPC was looking when he said over there is were the radio was.... Nope it was literately beside him and not where he was implying it was.

Any one of these issues (and there are many many more) are not a big deal, but when you have back to back quirks it really can ruin the flow of the game.

In a nutshell the game needs work and it should have had another 6-12 months of development and polish.

Save your money and wait for it to be on sale. The game as is is worth about $19 dollars.
  16. Aug 23, 2013
    I believe this game is a lot better than people give it credit for. Fans may be angry at the change from turn based strategy to an 3rd person shooter, but it definitely is not just run and gun, it requires careful positioning and strategy. looking at this game as a separate entity from the other games in the series is important. yes it is different but a solid game.
  17. Aug 21, 2013
    When I first got my hands on Xcom: Enemy Unknown I found it was a fun and interesting game. Since then I have always been interested in getting to know the other titles from the older series. Time passed and lets plays were watched but, I never bought the games (due to the lack of income...)
    Noticing the bundle that came with the new XCOM game The Bureau; I found this would be the perfect time to get some games I really wanted( and spec ops too, cool!). So, I like to lie to myself and think I spent most of my $44 on those games.
    With that guff out of the way The Bureau's good, bad, and ugly.

Good:
    I'm a sucker for the noir All the retro tech. and fedoras make me smile. The ability to rename and repaint my squaddies helps immerse me in the a world where every one is named Dick Swissknife.
    The guns are fun and diverse but, nothing new to xcom. Punching is hilarious, especially when your squaddies never see it coming.
    This game also implements Mass Effect style talking sequences. They don't bother me and help expand the lore. As well as the scattered notes and recordings that you will find along the linear levels. The story is something I'm not really good at judging so I won't be talking about it.

Bad:
    For a tactical 3rd person shooter The Bureau's UI is really poor. Switching from teammate and ability to teammate and ability is simple and easy unless, your mouse is anywhere on the screen. The game will then proceed to see the mouse as priority control. Which will then lead you to select the wrong command. Yes, you can then press backspace to cancel but, I shouldn't have to. Plus, for those of us who do like to squint at the game and pretend I'm doing something tactical, the mistake can set me back and often get my men killed. If my intention was to move them but attack is accidentally selected. For a tactical UI please use either keyboard shortcuts OR mouse control, not both.
    Small side note. The options menu is fairly restricted but at least the option to play in DX9 or DX11 is presented right as you load up. Then you are just a fingers-crossed moment away from playing Xcom.

Oh, and only two weapons, come on.

Ugly:
    I truly believe all of my teammates would much rather be dead than stay under my command. They consantly move out of cover and into the fray, despite my insistance that they stay in the one, and there is only one, full cover area. The team AI is thick as bricks. Moving them from one point to another is a gamble to whether they will remain safe and go along cover to there destination. Or they run straight through to there inevitable deaths.
    Also, no coop! I know Xcom has long been a singleplayer adventure but this would have been a perfect way to fix the AI; by getting rid of it.

Summary
    Good: Style, combat and lore.
    Bad: Tactical UI and options menu.
    Ugly: AI and lack of Coop.

Do I recommend this. Yes! but on sale. $20 at most. Not full price release.
  18. Aug 22, 2013
    I was looking forward to this and after a few hours of playing I really can't be bothered.
    Its not terrible but I've played a few 3rd person squad based shooters and this doesn't really deliver anything new or exciting.
    It feels like a console port (probably is) and it jsut doesn't feel as tight as previous xcom games. Which is a shame as I really wanted to enjoy this game. I think
    Which is a shame as I really wanted to enjoy this game.

I think that a game should be entertaining, if it isn't surely its in breach of trade description act.
    I'm not saying this is the worst game in the wolrd but I think if you've got £29.99 to spend, you'd probably be better spending it on something else.

Buyer beware :D
  19. Aug 25, 2013
    The plot of the story is not as bad as the reviews shows. What is annoying and boring is the management of the headquarters. I am not an expert on X-com games but I am quite experienced in shooters. I did not quite get the combat, and you should care for your partners every second before they need to be revived. I think the IA of the partner isn't enough for a game meant to be partiallyThe plot of the story is not as bad as the reviews shows. What is annoying and boring is the management of the headquarters. I am not an expert on X-com games but I am quite experienced in shooters. I did not quite get the combat, and you should care for your partners every second before they need to be revived. I think the IA of the partner isn't enough for a game meant to be partially played as a shooter. Expand
  20. Aug 29, 2013
    I have just finished the Game. There is no absolute need to replay it.
    I enjoyed it, not lets make some critics.
    I'm a great fan of many games that 'The Bureau' borrowed concepts: Mass Effect 3: Combat, Dialog Wheel, Base navigation, tactical pause to issue commands, ... Batman Arkham Museum/City: Tactical View with 'detective mode'. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood: Dispatch Missions.
    I have just finished the Game. There is no absolute need to replay it.
    I enjoyed it, not lets make some critics.

I'm a great fan of many games that 'The Bureau' borrowed concepts:
    Batman Arkham Museum/City: Tactical View with 'detective mode'.
    Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood: Dispatch Missions.

The Graphics Style is nice and detailed, very few flaws. Noir RetroFuturism. Maybe.
    Sound is very good, and so is Voice Acting (regardless of the script).

History: The drama is present, but not really there. The characters are easy to forget. Your agents are very common and uninteresting.
    Perhaps the most disturbing thing is that for the 90% of the Game, your dialogues and CHOICES are meaningless.

Dispatching Agents in missions only serves for leveling them. The rewards are not really useful.
    There are many unexplained abilities of the characters, technology, how do they magically appear?

I found very disappointing in the fact that in the epilogue you see how they are trying to Cover Up everything (like was so widely advertised). The cover-up effort is barely visible in game.

It is sincerely not possible to cover up something like that.
    You see the US map later in game full of RED (aliens, not commies).
    No connection with the US Central Command? Possible, but not realistic in that time, when a crippling attack of Soviet forces was feared.

Customization: Is there, but is not enough. And when later in game they took my Fedora Hat, I cursed. Details, details.

Difficulty: For a setting of 'Veteran' (easy, normal, veteran, commander), I found it very easy and with a lot of ammunition. For an X-COM title, it had to be Harder.

Likes:
    Besides some usability, the tactical commands, combos and combat in general is good.
    Some surprises on the history late game, a few decisions with some impact, well crafted scenarios.
    The main character is likeable.

Dissapointments:
    No real bridge (in history) with X-COM: Enemy Unknown. It was the perfect opportunity to explain how the Council was formed years ago.
    More drama expected.
    SideQuests with no real Impact or rewards, just more extra mini-history.
    No weapon customization.
    No connection with some of the secondary characters and my recruited agents.
    No randomness.
    Fedora Hat removed.

I do Recommend this game, you will have fun, but is only for one playthrough.
  21. Aug 26, 2013
    I was apprehensive about buying XCOM, but I just had to in the end because well... it's XCOM.

The strongest aspect about the game is the combat itself even with the annoying controls (mouse keyboard). You quickly get past this (learn to adapt people). The downfall of the game itself is two things: 1. Running about the base is boring as hell. 2 .It's far too short. Considering

The downfall of the game itself is two things:

1. Running about the base is boring as hell.
    2 .It's far too short.

Considering you are in story dialogue and running around the base for a large part of time (about a 3rd) and combat the rest it took under 12 hours total to complete on veteran. This is reading every item, listening to every recording and doing all side missions. I actually thought, "nah, this can't be it..." and was really disappointed when it ended. I feel i HAVE to go back and complete on Commander difficulty to make this purchase worth it.

If this is another attempt at developers to cash in on DLC for more content at a later date I'll be quite pissed. It does feel like half a game.

Overall it kept me playing to the end in a short space of time and that says a lot, as I rarely complete games these days.

n.b. A note on character perma-death. It's a meaningless mechanic as I lost troops twice, but quickly died myself and just re spawned with them.
  22. Aug 26, 2013
    The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is one of those games that oozes with potential but fails to quite get the most out of it. It's far from great but still has managed to hook me enough to keep me coming back to it

The setting will feel instantly familiar to XCOM veterans with opponents are terrain features that appaer in earlier XCOM titles as well. As far as 3rd person shooters go it's fairly ok. The game feels somewhat sluggish but offers enough tactical options to make combat interesting. It never evolves past interesting though since the AI leaves much to be desired making combat feel slowpaced and kinda dumbed down. Opponents are hardhitting and tough making combat challenging enough, although perhaps not in the way I would've hoped.

The 1950's backdrop is cool, not something you see a whole lot, but as with the gameplay (and pretty much everything else in The Bureau) the full potential hasn't been unlocked. The towns and vehicles are 50's but never does the game feel convincingly set in the USA of the 50's. Walking around on linear maps from combat area to combat area there's the occasional vista which manages to impress but it's too little really.

I could go on and on but the gist is clear. This game could've been great, instead it's just ok. Barely.
  23. Aug 31, 2013
    I have been watching this game since late 2009 waiting for its release. I have no prior exposure to any of the xcoms or anything from the series except for what I have read on the lore. Upon finally playing it what I will say is; it could have been so much more than it was. IT was a serious letdown in terms of the storyline. I could live with gameplay inconstancies which it has its fairI have been watching this game since late 2009 waiting for its release. I have no prior exposure to any of the xcoms or anything from the series except for what I have read on the lore. Upon finally playing it what I will say is; it could have been so much more than it was. IT was a serious letdown in terms of the storyline. I could live with gameplay inconstancies which it has its fair share of. Such as voices not matching characters later on in the story or unexplained lapses in time. The storyline just doesn't deliver and that is why this game gets such a low rating from me. It felt as though had they brought in good writers it could have excelled even having very little to do with the other xcoms and original lore. Not everything is gameplay as seen by games like Telltales walking dead and The last of us, Both stellar games with central focus on story. Xcom at time also feels like it tries to steel from bioware's mass effect series, which is the right direction if you want to implement intuitive character dialog and progression, but its only a shadow of what it is in dragon age/mass effect. This game was an alright play and I completed it all the way through, meaning to me it wasn't horrible. However the whole time I couldn't wait to complete it to free up the SSD space to play the next game. Don't expect too highly with this game. Expand
  24. Aug 21, 2013
    The Bureau Xcom Declassified xcom series is very good. i think user many facilities in this game to play this game the Bureau begins investigating a series of mysterious attacks by an enemy more powerful than communism. i think game is actionable you can play this game
  25. Aug 25, 2013
    tl;dr;
    Poor, shallow, tedious, rather boring game. My advice is not to buy unless it's in a very good sale deal.
    Regardless of whether other players defend it or slate it I can only say that I simply did not enjoy this game. I "get" that it's not XCOM: Enemy Unknown however that doesn't excuse the many bad points this game has. First, the good-ish news. Graphically, it's not bad. No
    tl;dr;

First, the good-ish news. Graphically, it's not bad. No real complaints there.

Game mechanic-wise The Bureau involves little more than story-telling cut-scenes, a lot of running around to get from point A to B to C and finally to some actual game play the "tactical" combat. Did I mention a lot of running from point A to point B?

The combat is the best part of the game. In itself reasonably enjoyable. A hybrid shooter/strategy system but not enough to carry the entire game I'm afraid and certainly far from perfect.

In The Bureau, your agents can level-up after gaining experience but this just doesn't seem to have the same relevance as it does for your squad in, say XCOM: Enemy Unknown where having a levelled-up squad seems to make a real difference and you strive to keep them alive. In The Bureau, it's like "he's leveled up meh."

Equipping team members with new equipment is laborious and clunky; using a controller because the keyboard controls are just too much trouble involves lots of right button, right button, down, down, click, down, down, click, right trigger, repeat for each team member. Yawn.

I've seen reviews here stating this game has high replay value. Seriously, I'm wondering if I can stomach playing it through to the end ONCE, let alone returning to it. There are far better games out there deserving of my time.

It's awkward that The Bureau pre-order perk on Steam; receiving the other XCOM titles including Enemy Unknown are actually better games than The Bureau itself.
  26. Aug 26, 2013
    Let me be perfectly clear: The Bureau is a third person alien shooter with sort-of turn based gameplay thrown in, some classes, and some XCOM lore thrown in. It's more of an X-COM: Enforcer than Enemy Unknown. It's very important for you to know this, and I'll discuss why later. For the time being, allow me to give you my impressions on it:

This game is far from perfect. First off,

This game is far from perfect.

First off, and despite the messages suggesting you to flank your enemies and remaining mobile, the Bureau is a pretty punishing game with aggressive tactics, and the player soon has to learn to to turtle up and play it safe unless he wants to risk two droids suddenly popping out of nowhere and pummeling your squad into dust. In some cases, your squadmates will continually get hit despite being behind cover. It doesn't help the fact that the AI will act up sometimes, exposing your allies to fire for no good reason.

And it's not just the fact that your squadmates seem to have quite a bit of trouble aiming, but the aliens are able to take quite a lot of hits while able to dish out considerable amounts of damage in the process, especially if a Commander is on the field, which will shield allies and make them even hardier. The problem with this is not only the fact that you neeed to be constantly watching out for insta-outflanks, but having to spend almost an entire magazine per alien, you run the risk of running out of bullets pretty fast, and then you will be exposed to both enemy fire and maybe an even bigger hindrance: the controls.

The Bureau's controls are one of the most indecisive and weird I've seen in some time. It seems a game designed with a controller in mind (you move markers along the ground to signal orders to your allies with WASD, as opposed to the mouse, for instance), but it really takes advantage of the keyboard and mouse layout for quick and efficient shootout control, and as a result you are constantly wondering if it wouldn't be better to switch from keyboard to gamepad and vice versa. Add to that a couple of bafflingly impractical actions (you do THE EXACT SAME THING -tapping "R"- to reload than to pick up ammo than to pick up weapons, which frequently can lead you to switch your empty sniper rifle for a shotgun and grab the ammo the shotgun instead for the rifle in just two presses of "R", leaving you utterly rifleless in a long-range battle, for instance), and a honestly weird menu layout, and you'll end up wondering how could 2K Marin seriously mess up such basic features so hard.

Graphics are OK. For the most part, and for the scenario that the developers thought we would be looking at. Turn around somewhere you aren't expected to look at, though, and you might find some of the worst scenario filler I've seen in a while, and that's counting sandbox games such as Prototype 2: blank, ginormous sheets of metal, blank walls, lifeless environments; and the game needs a nice computer to run it all at a decent speed, too: my i7 3770 8GB DDR3 RAM Nvidia GTX650 2GB DDR5 couldn't handle it at max detail, having to turn off some of the subtler options.

Characters are pretty unique, and in some cases they remind me a bit of L.A. Noire's cast. While not award-winning, one can be really entertained by the Dirty Harry-esque dialogue from the main character. There is a dialogue tree that really doesn't do much aside from giving you some extra info, there are a bunch of collectibles strewn about, and there are a couple of side missions that usually need you to go from point A to point B and then to point A again. Serviceable, if a bit lackluster. Soundtrack can be pretty inmersive, and voicework is pretty good too.

All in all, The Bureau is not a perfect game, but it is not a BAD one: every aspect of it is unpolished and even weird sometimes, but it does its job without really failing at anything. It is a Rogue Trooper, or a Stubbs the Zombie, or any Red Faction game: bad enough to not be a classic, good enough to play, complete and forget about, and I think it deserves love despite its faults.

A lot of people seem to hate the "XCOM" in the title, and it's probably the most main point of many people's about it. It's quite tragic, in my opinion, that someone would pre-order, buy and then complain about "their" turn-based strategy franchise being ruined by a Third Person Shooter when there's already been X-COM games that have deviated from the original formula (basically all of them between "terror of the deep" and "enemy unknown"), but then again, that shows you when people in the internet feel entitled to with franchises that are older than themselves.

The game came with its DLC, plus all the X-COM collection and Spec Ops: The Line as pre-order bonuses for about 40€, which is an awesome deal. If you didn't get it then, you'd probably do better to wait for it to go on sale for Halloween or Christmas. If you like third person shooters get it, but maybe not at full price.

7.5.
  27. Aug 22, 2013
    I was incredibly surprised by this game. Im a big fan of XCOM Enemy Unknown. I haven't played the originals but i could see why so many people were getting pissed at this game when it was first announced. Although they did knock XCOM to a subtitle, i feel that they should have kept it out of the games name entirely to get better PR with XCOM fans. Now that they didn't you get a bunch ofI was incredibly surprised by this game. Im a big fan of XCOM Enemy Unknown. I haven't played the originals but i could see why so many people were getting pissed at this game when it was first announced. Although they did knock XCOM to a subtitle, i feel that they should have kept it out of the games name entirely to get better PR with XCOM fans. Now that they didn't you get a bunch of people ranting on Metacritic and other websites with giant nostalgia boners saying this is the worst game ever made. Simply put, it is a refreshing surprise. If you get it in you mind that this game has nothing to do with XCOM and plays more like Mass Effect, its a solid game. Not great, but solid. The Bureau builds an incredible atmosphere right from the beginning. It has a great 50's Noire feel to it that carries this game. The combat is almost exactly like ME and works well. Although the Ai will have its "special" moments, it is a fun third person cover shooter where flanking and planning are actually needed. Its not XCOM, but thats really the point. Over all i had fun with it, i wouldn't reccomend it for $60 but pick it up on its first sale or price cut for 30 or 40 dollars.I think its worth giving the devs the money at that price. Expand
  28. Aug 25, 2013
    Stylization is nice, btw it is a pure console port 720p-ish, bloom is everywhere, poor tactics interface designed for gamepad, not for mouse. While storyline is quiet classic, there is still some spirit you felt so many times I know what can I expect next corner. It is not about tactics, because it has very limited usage, believe me. It is not about FPS, aiming system is so bad, like youStylization is nice, btw it is a pure console port 720p-ish, bloom is everywhere, poor tactics interface designed for gamepad, not for mouse. While storyline is quiet classic, there is still some spirit you felt so many times I know what can I expect next corner. It is not about tactics, because it has very limited usage, believe me. It is not about FPS, aiming system is so bad, like you hold your gun while being on some ship in the middle of ocean during storm. It is not about RPG, because your decisions are not taking you different ways and level system is just, erm, pathetic. And this is not about your base building, one of aspect X-COM series loved for. This is... I don't know. This is mediocre mix of genres, but nothing special in none of them. Really, nothing special. I know creating this game took a lot of time, nice ideas and money, but on the end it doesn't fit cost you pay for. Will you get your fun here? Sure, you will get a bit. Will this fun be enough to stay impressed? No. No. No. Expand
  29. Aug 23, 2013
    Mediocre Mass Effect clone. I am not a fan of Mass Effect combat system to begin with; in this game I liked it even less. They claimed the game is supposed to be as tactical as XCOM series. That is not so, it's a pretty standard squad shooter. Most tactics you will implement will be centered on keeping your idiot AI comrades alive, while your main guy shoots things. In many situations IMediocre Mass Effect clone. I am not a fan of Mass Effect combat system to begin with; in this game I liked it even less. They claimed the game is supposed to be as tactical as XCOM series. That is not so, it's a pretty standard squad shooter. Most tactics you will implement will be centered on keeping your idiot AI comrades alive, while your main guy shoots things. In many situations I felt that I'd much rather leave other agents on the base and just do the operation myself. Expand
  30. Aug 23, 2013
    I liked the refreshing ways this game was different. I like the way you moved and issued orders to your squad, and it becomes relevant with the difficulty all the way up. I'm more reliant on my squad in this game than I ever was in Mass Effect, even on insanity. I do think, especially in the early game there are major flaws. The one that really bothered me was your allies in the firstI liked the refreshing ways this game was different. I like the way you moved and issued orders to your squad, and it becomes relevant with the difficulty all the way up. I'm more reliant on my squad in this game than I ever was in Mass Effect, even on insanity. I do think, especially in the early game there are major flaws. The one that really bothered me was your allies in the first mission having alien tech like laser turrets. I know they have you leveled up allies for the tutorial level, but it made things seem absurd. But abilities feel like they have real power when used correctly.

I feel like the conversation wheel falls flat too often. In a game like Mass Effect, there are certainly the times where a conversation feels unnatural and disjointed based on the order you address things, but The Bureau usually feels that way. Plus the fact that conversations don't branch makes me wonder why they bothered with the system instead of just having scripted, skippable conversations. I also think the lack of a research system was a missed opportunity, but this game isn't a turn-based strategy XCOM with randomly generated missions, and I recognize that. It wan nice to see an XCOM game with a story though.

Overall I've enjoyed my time with the game. I might feel a little more short changed were it not for all the free stuff you got with a Steam preorder.
  31. Aug 23, 2013
    This isn't an XCOM game per se, but that' ok. Still, even for a game in its own right it definitely has shortcomings. It feels bland, stiff, and cliche. Much alike most games of late, it's all style and explosions, but has no substance to speak of. The story is somewhat nice and engaging at times, yet I can't help but feel that this is a largely missed opportunity. With its setting andThis isn't an XCOM game per se, but that' ok. Still, even for a game in its own right it definitely has shortcomings. It feels bland, stiff, and cliche. Much alike most games of late, it's all style and explosions, but has no substance to speak of. The story is somewhat nice and engaging at times, yet I can't help but feel that this is a largely missed opportunity. With its setting and overall atmosphere it has the potential to make an awesome tactical strategy. It's saddening that it's become just a failed attempt to cater to a wider audience of gamers. Honestly, i can't see who wouldn't feel lost in this game. Expand
  32. Aug 20, 2013
    First, it's hard to separate this from the X-Com series since it has X-Com in the name. It is an FPS "in universe" so there's a lot of somewhat familiar characters, but the story makes no sense and is not at all related to other games in the series.

As a stand-alone squad FPS it's fairly lacking. Squad controls are mediocre, and AI is terrible (running into walls, ignoring land mines, running through open areas rather than using nearby cover, etc). It really has to be micromanaged which isn't fun in an action game, and will likely get your main character shot.

The game also lacks a lot of polish The graphics are dated (even for the 1960's style) and framerates are slow on high-end machines unless you seriously turn down settings. The overall storyline is full of cliche moments, and the game just lacks an overall amount of completeness. This isn't something that's likely to be fixed through patches either, as the "core" game is done, but not all the little extra things that make it feel alive.

It is an interesting take on the genre, overall, but I have buyers remorse and would not recommend it to others especially not at full price.
  33. Aug 26, 2013
    This game isn't a carbon copy of X-COM as most seemed to be expecting, but it does have elements of X-COM. This game is enjoyable, although a little frustrating at times... The squad AI is atrocious, and the fact that you have to babysit them every step of the way takes away from the overall feel of the game. With that being said, there's an immense amount of satisfaction when youThis game isn't a carbon copy of X-COM as most seemed to be expecting, but it does have elements of X-COM. This game is enjoyable, although a little frustrating at times... The squad AI is atrocious, and the fact that you have to babysit them every step of the way takes away from the overall feel of the game. With that being said, there's an immense amount of satisfaction when you complete a mission. I still enjoy the game, even with its short-comings. Expand
  34. Aug 27, 2013
    Having to regroup after the rather surprising XCOM Enemy Unknown is a blessing in disguise and a touch of poison both at the same time. I gather from the behind-the-scenes that they're going for the third iteration of the Bureau's gameplay when the surprise hit...well, hit which sounds rather believable when you watch the video. I just can't grasp the ignorance that they totally copy MassHaving to regroup after the rather surprising XCOM Enemy Unknown is a blessing in disguise and a touch of poison both at the same time. I gather from the behind-the-scenes that they're going for the third iteration of the Bureau's gameplay when the surprise hit...well, hit which sounds rather believable when you watch the video. I just can't grasp the ignorance that they totally copy Mass Effect 3's gameplay and would not admit it....granted that it is not as smooth as and not as polished. It is not fair to compare the two games but the developer puts themselves in this position and the success of the turn based strategy rebirth certainly affects them the most, positively and negatively. The traces of Enemy Unknown can be seen throughout the game, as a true homage and also straight copycat. This review is written as I played only a few hours of the game and does not represents my final verdict of the Bureau. That is still to come but I will give my score nonetheless. Expand
  35. Aug 25, 2013
    As for me, I expected XCOM-like tactical shooter, where you can take part in action like one of your soldier in Enemy Unknown. Well, it is tactical and it is shooter. But not XCOM-like. There is no more feeling, like the whole Earth unites and rises against aliens. Now it's just another story where american soldiers save the world. Only weapon and aliens's names remind about original XCOM.As for me, I expected XCOM-like tactical shooter, where you can take part in action like one of your soldier in Enemy Unknown. Well, it is tactical and it is shooter. But not XCOM-like. There is no more feeling, like the whole Earth unites and rises against aliens. Now it's just another story where american soldiers save the world. Only weapon and aliens's names remind about original XCOM. What about gameplay? Well, nothing special. It is ordinary tactical TPS, where in most cases you will fight against AI of your stupid allies. All missions are the same. Also, there are problems with optimization.
    So, I will not repeat what was written before me many times, but the game is quite poor for such a big project. It is okay for a couple evenings, but no more. It'is not that bad, but do not expect much of it.
    P.S. There is a little hope, that developers will fix bugs and optimization problems with patches.
  36. Aug 27, 2013
    If you ignore this being an XCOM game it is a very good game. The combat is crisp and interesting with good progression for your characters, the weapons and powers are satisfying to use and the enemies work well together to make the combat interesting ensuring you have to prioritize targets.

It operates in a very similar way to mass effect during combat and this is no bad thing. However though it does leave a lot to be desired outside of combat. The time in the base is usually dull with the information (books, voice recordings etc) not being very interesting and adding little to the story itself. Most of the characters also seem to be on steroids as they are all very angry all the time.

An XCOM game though? Not really. There is no research to be done, little use or development of your team apart from on mission and very little control of what missions to do and the impact they have. It also seems to leave some rather large plot holes if you view it as a prequel to XCOM:EU.

So essentially a good combat game with good mechanics and ideas, but nothing ground breaking, nothing new and most certainly not XCOM
  37. Nov 1, 2013
    Although mostly a generic thirdperson shooter, it adds some nice spice to the gameplay by having a strategic mode that allows you to command your squadmates. When you're in strategic mode, the gameplay is either paused or drastically slowed down, much like typical XCOM games. While in this mode you can command your squadmates to move about the map, set up flanking positions, and useAlthough mostly a generic thirdperson shooter, it adds some nice spice to the gameplay by having a strategic mode that allows you to command your squadmates. When you're in strategic mode, the gameplay is either paused or drastically slowed down, much like typical XCOM games. While in this mode you can command your squadmates to move about the map, set up flanking positions, and use multiple abilities that synergize very well with your own.

For example, your commander can use a telekinesis ability that lifts the enemy in the air, pulling them out of cover, then you can order a Sniper squadmate to snipe them out of the air. It's very satisfying and very fun.

Despite that, the game doesn't feel very loyal to the XCOM franchise. It has some nice things here and there and make you think, "Oh, this is from XCOM" but at the same time it lacks a lot of polish in other areas. The game feels as though it might have been a bit rushed to release. In my opinion this is worth checking out on a sale, you might have a bit of fun.
  38. Aug 20, 2013
    Sure, this isn't a perfect game, but the gameplay is decent and the story is very interesting. Despite playing it on the PC, I did use a 360 controller. I liked the controller, and I would recommend you use one if you like console gaming, even if you're playing on the PC. This is not the game that many think it is, it's much better. I'd recommend renting a console copy or buying it on sale.
  39. Aug 24, 2013
    "XCOM Declassified: Wearing smart casual to alien firefights since 1963"

In all seriousness, the game was alright; managing to create a genuine sense of scope and gravitas midway throughout, after stumbling over itself in the opening missions. However, It did feel a bit bland, and the storyline comes across as forcibly emotive and hard to take seriously in some instances. In XCOM:
    "XCOM Declassified: Wearing smart casual to alien firefights since 1963"

However, It did feel a bit bland, and the storyline comes across as forcibly emotive and hard to take seriously in some instances. In XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the situation of an alien invasion felt plausible. The aliens never "talked" or interacted with the player, serving to pull you into the games atmosphere as you attempted to deal with what could very well have been a real and "unknown" threat to the earth and humanity, as you slowly discover clues and scraps of information regarding the alien's agenda.

In the XCOM Declassified however, this feeling is gone, replaced by a slightly generic, Hollywood esque scifi narrative that instead creates its own alternate human history, rather than attempt to play along with the events of the cold war in the 60's as cover ups for alien activity (A premise that could have been brilliantly developed and executed, but alas...).

But if there's one thing I should say, it's kudos to the developers for the SHEER amount of dialogue and brilliant character interactions throughout your time spent in the underground XCOM base. (I swear I've almost had the impulse to use one of Carter's signature hand gestures in conversation :P)

All in all, it's a decent, slightly clunky third person cover based shooter, with a commendably executed, yet somewhat bland and predictable plot.
  40. Aug 26, 2013
    Had hoped this would be another great game in the Xcom-series, but alas... Poor steering and confusing combat... Story-telling ok and graphics are nice, but many questions to be answered and the intro to combat lags explanation... Can't bother completing the game because of the bad controls... Would recommend Mass Effect-series anytime...
  41. Aug 27, 2013
    A rating of 7 seems worthy of this edition to the Xcom series. For those who think it is low, it is just that for replay value.. complete the game on even the easiest mode and there is little need to play it again other than seeing other plot lines opened up by making different interaction choices. For those who think the rating is high- I am a Xcom fan. Many of the negative review's ofA rating of 7 seems worthy of this edition to the Xcom series. For those who think it is low, it is just that for replay value.. complete the game on even the easiest mode and there is little need to play it again other than seeing other plot lines opened up by making different interaction choices. For those who think the rating is high- I am a Xcom fan. Many of the negative review's of the game take into account aspects I do not feel the game creator's intended to approach in the first place. It is not a first person shooter, rather a tactical 3rd person that actually places a player in a good position of how it might feel to be a Xcom agent in the field (in a very much real time gameplay rather than turned based). Those who expected a first person shooter may be disappointed at not being able to run around shooting things and dodging incoming fire like a DOOM or Wolfenstein type game. Do remember, a enemy in cover in the turn based takes a 40% chance to hit... it seems fitting that in this game... taking the time to aim for a certain hit at an enemy behind cover is no easy feat... and may actually get you shot to pieces trying to do so. The storyline was appealing and fun, the choices given to advance certain plot lines entertaining.

The real value of the game may well be in it's not yet applied applications. The Xcom series now has a lovely new turned based system reborn with XCOM-Enemy Unknown, as well as a boots on the ground tactical combat with The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. The mother of all XCOM games may still await... a combination of both games.. allowing users in the XCOM universe to choose between Turn Based missions, or Real time play along with all the base management/research applications of Enemy Unknown. As a avid fan of the series.. one can only hope.
  42. Aug 20, 2013
    Remember the original X-COM and the re-make by Firaxis that was almost (but not quite) as good? Yeah, well this game is nothing like those.

It's not a bad third person shooter, but this game is definitely not X-COM.
  43. Aug 23, 2013
    The constant revisions to gameplay are really obvious when you get a chance to play it. The gameplay is very well structured and thought out; unfortunately the rest of the game is not so much.
    The voice acting is forced, and doesn't feel truly authentic, although the choice in voices is brilliant.
    The story is lacking that something to get you to feel for the characters, and any that you lose, by story or just through the normal gameplay, don't make you feel anything.
    Given, most XCOM games are pure tactical, turn-based-strategy, but for a game like this (and in this generation), you need more than just stellar gameplay. You need a bit more variety and a better story (or at least better executed).
  44. Feb 23, 2014
    The problem this game has, it is trying to be all at once. It is trying to be an FPS (well in third person), but the guns feel so vanilla and unrealistic they feel like BB guns. Is is trying to be a tactical game, yet your teammates AI is so bad that it's a lottery whether they do what you want or do something silly to get them killed. It is trying to be an Xcom game it feels as such inThe problem this game has, it is trying to be all at once. It is trying to be an FPS (well in third person), but the guns feel so vanilla and unrealistic they feel like BB guns. Is is trying to be a tactical game, yet your teammates AI is so bad that it's a lottery whether they do what you want or do something silly to get them killed. It is trying to be an Xcom game it feels as such in the beginning but it lacks base building, researching technologies, basically everything that Xcom games are loved for.
    The plot is very poorly written, I expected a cheesy plot but this was far worse than I expected combined with boring cardboard characters. Levels are designed terribly, CoD level of linear gameplay yet far less epic action filling the screen. The best comparison here is probably to Mass Effect series gameplay-wise, with much worse level design but more tactical options (when it works Everything is the world is static, there is no destruction of environment. Enemies are your standard FPS baddies nothing unusual here (ME had it better).
    No multiplayer coop even though it would really fit.
    Badly designed UI designed for consoles.
    If this game was released 5-6 years ago it might stand a chance.
    Right now I don't recommend getting it unless it's in a humble bundle or something. Sure there is some fun but overall not much.
  45. Aug 23, 2013
    .Este es el segundo review que hago de este juego. Decidí darle la oportunidad después de haber gastado 45 dólares y este es el resultado. En mi primer review le di 3 de puntuación pero ahora lo voy a cambiar por un 6. Le he dedicado unas 6 horas al juego en este momento. Admito que mi me decepcione porque soy un Fan de Xcom-Enemy Unknow y esperaba más de ese tipo de juego de estrategia..Este es el segundo review que hago de este juego. Decidí darle la oportunidad después de haber gastado 45 dólares y este es el resultado. En mi primer review le di 3 de puntuación pero ahora lo voy a cambiar por un 6. Le he dedicado unas 6 horas al juego en este momento. Admito que mi me decepcione porque soy un Fan de Xcom-Enemy Unknow y esperaba más de ese tipo de juego de estrategia. El juego empieza a ponerse interesante una vez subes a tus personajes a nivel 4 ya que para entonces puedes tener mejores habilidades y armas. Creo que el juego es un buen comienzo para un próximo juego que vayan a hacer en el futuro pero realmente aun no está pulido del todo. Las graficas le doy un 7-10. El gameplay es bastante entretenido. A nivel de estrategia el juego se queda un poco corto, aunque algunas de las habilidades son interesantes y divertidas. El juego es una mezcla de Wanted, Red Faction y algo de Xcom. Ósea si nunca has jugado un juego de Xcom este sera un juego bueno, pero si esperas el gameplay y estrategias de los pasados Xcom quedaras decepcionado. En resumen un buen juego pero no excelente. Y básicamente el Juego es un Beta de lo que se espera se convierta la serie de Xcom. A veces lo viejo resulta ser mejor para los Gamers. En este caso se esperaba lo viejo y nos encontramos con nuevos elementos interesantes pero que aun no sobrepasan el éxito de los juegos anteriores. Expand
  46. Aug 22, 2013
    I was high on this game when it was in development, but upon playing it, I am left with a bad taste. The story is ok. A bit bland, but enjoyable and entertaining. The whole premise could have been turned into something huge, but is left lacking.
    The individuals themselves are somewhat bland and lifeless; again, more work could have been done.
    The controls are clunky, character movements
    The controls are clunky, character movements appear as though they are running in mud. Not much of a difference between normal run and sprint. Not easy to enter and exit cover, or control your team mates. It would have been easier had they simply copied the mass effect controls, instead of trying something else, which seems similar to mass effect, but comes off as still needing work.
    The weapons and powers and backpacks are ok. Backpacks are variations of what might be thought of as armor: they provide you with perks like more ammo, greater defense for enemy fire, and the such. The weapons are pretty vanilla: Handgun, assault rifle, sniper rife, shotgun, and they come in either human variety, or the laser version of the aliens. Again, could have been better and appears rushed.
    The powers on the other hand are probably the best feature of the game. Depending on the class, every soldier has different powers that you can build a strategy around. You can get your soldier class to taunt an enemy, leaving an another for you to lift off the ground and finish off with a critical hit from your sniper/recon man. Got a bunch of them charging you, get your engineer class to throw out a turret. The main character is a healer class, but also has powers he can use to distract and immobilize enemies.
    Overall, the game is enjoyable at best, but could have been made a lot better had the developer taken more time to refine it and add to the content. It feels very abrasive while playing.
  47. Aug 31, 2013
    The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is a fun game that has some of the best over-the-shoulder squad based combat I have seen. The graphics are appealing, most of the game is enjoyable, and most of the game is new. However the main problems I feel with the game is the lack of variety in weapons, lack of variety in aliens, "investigations" often just break up the combat, you have less involvementThe Bureau: XCOM Declassified is a fun game that has some of the best over-the-shoulder squad based combat I have seen. The graphics are appealing, most of the game is enjoyable, and most of the game is new. However the main problems I feel with the game is the lack of variety in weapons, lack of variety in aliens, "investigations" often just break up the combat, you have less involvement with the The Bureau (you only go on missions compared to Enemy Unknown where you controlled the functions of the base or development of gear and tools), and the ending is poor. I'm not for one to leave spoilers but the game overall is very well well made. Expand
  48. Aug 24, 2013
    It's a shame this game was published by 2K Games. I have to take points off for this simply because they have decided to price gouge the Australian market yet again, pricing the game way above the worth of the title.

The game itself feels uninspired with so many other squad based 3rd person shooters on the market already, I was hoping that they would create something a little more unique than they did with this one. It just doesn't come across as a true X-COM title.. sure, it has that theme.. but so do other titles that have no affiliation with the X-COM series.

I'm not a fanboi of the series.. I just would have preferred it to be more in-line with what X-COM has been about for generations. This would have been a great mod of the latest X-COM game.. or some indie spin-off.. but I can't endorse something like that this that comes off as feeling like a money grab and attention seeking from those who prefer 3rd person shooters rather than the core X-COM franchise.
  49. Sep 18, 2013
    The Bureau was a good try at something that should have never been attempted. I'll admit as far as rebooting old games goes, this wins any day against Syndicate.

The Good: -Clint Eastwood like protagonist. -Fedora's. -Story is okay. The Bad: -Not that great of AI -Bugs -No Research and Development -No Control of base construction -Makes you wish you were playing Mass

The Good:

-Clint Eastwood like protagonist.
    -Fedora's.
    -Story is okay.

The Bad:

-Not that great of AI
    -Bugs
    -No Research and Development
    -No Control of base construction
    -Makes you wish you were playing Mass Effect
    -It's time to say goodnight to the Mass Effect (Unreal) Engine
  50. Oct 19, 2013
    Boring, unlogically created plot, boring main hero, boring missions. Boring, boring, boring, boring. And ending is also boring... I am really sad I've preordered this nonsense.
    The only thing I relly liked fighting/leveling system, but this game is really mediocre and I am pretty not sure I will replay it soon enough...
  51. Sep 26, 2013
    The gameplay in a nut-shell:
    -The stage starts, there are some introduction but nothing so special.
    -Move to the first stage.
    -Kill some or all enemies, and yes, it is one of those games that sometimes you are deadlock until you kill all enemies (such Painkiller).
    -Move to the next stage, rinse and repeat.
  52. Sep 18, 2013
    The Bureau could have been so much more considering it was made by the bioshock devs but the nice graphic style can not save this am from it's bland story and repetitive missions.
  53. Dec 14, 2013
    Quite brilliant story and dialogues here. (10/10) Unfortunately they are stuck in another clunky console port. Even at the supposed correct resolution it is impossible to access some menus on a wide screen monitor. The game suffers from tedious, slow and clunky gameplay. Too plot bound and linear, getting around your base is a royal pain in the rear-end. So while the set pieces, and plotQuite brilliant story and dialogues here. (10/10) Unfortunately they are stuck in another clunky console port. Even at the supposed correct resolution it is impossible to access some menus on a wide screen monitor. The game suffers from tedious, slow and clunky gameplay. Too plot bound and linear, getting around your base is a royal pain in the rear-end. So while the set pieces, and plot lines, the voice acting and lighting are all FANTASTIC (Bravo) the GAME is terrible. This is a must buy for fans of UFO retro, not as a game but as a cultural artifact. Wait to get it on sale under $10. Play it to enjoy the story because you WILL NOT enjoy it as a 'game'.

Orctowngrot.
  54. Nov 6, 2013
    This game isn't really X-com. It just doesn't fit the style, and the controls are just plain bad. It's half-finished and put together in a hurry. Remember the game just called XCOM? Well, it was first person shooter made by 2K and was scrapped and changed into this. The game is way to short for the heavy price tag of $80USD. I think everyone here wants classic Turn-Based Strategy back.
  55. ave
    Feb 10, 2015
    A title like The Bureau: XCOM Declassified comes with an heavy burden: the legacy of its ancestors.

So, if you really like the original XCOM and especially the recent XCOM Enemy Within (a great game), this one is complete departure. You are Willam Carter and you lead a team of two agents in the field, completing a serie of missions to insure the survival of the human race facing a

You are Willam Carter and you lead a team of two agents in the field, completing a serie of missions to insure the survival of the human race facing a massive alien invasion. You give orders to your mates while being in Concentration mode (a kind of slowmo a la F.E.A.R.) and take charge of (approximately) 80% of the shooting (I haven't played with the sniper or soldier yet). In spite of this good idea, I felt the constant shifting between the characters disorienting, forcing me to adapt to this particular aspect of the game instead of just playing. Maybe a static bird view of the scene would have been more convenient.

As a player, you have to make difficult choices : your team mates profiles (you can only bring two with you), your weaponery (you can only carry two, and your mates only one), and your bagpack (that can changes your stats).

The interesting yet controversial aspect of the game is that the storyline is rich, with multiple credible characters with their own agenda. At the beginning, you simply navigate from one to another to help them, but at the end you face dilemmas that could potentially impact your chances of winning the war (never seen it yet, just suspecting). So you basically have a wild difference in pace between headquarters and the field.

The level design is strong when action takes place in Cold War America, but kinda dull in the alien facilities. Up to the point of a deja vu feeling.

To wrap it up, The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is a decent squad-based shooter, with an honorable storyline and a mediocre-to-great level design. Luckily, it can be played casually.
  56. Dec 16, 2013
    A third personal shooter strategic like Mass Effect. Which, at the beginning, it's fun, amusing and worth to play; but its lack of tools, develop and some game's limitations makes the gameplay rough after a while. I'll give you a better critic but it seems like the guy of 2K keep doing the same that in XCOM: Enemy Unknown... "I"A, because it is not Intelligent; they (your team mates) rush,A third personal shooter strategic like Mass Effect. Which, at the beginning, it's fun, amusing and worth to play; but its lack of tools, develop and some game's limitations makes the gameplay rough after a while. I'll give you a better critic but it seems like the guy of 2K keep doing the same that in XCOM: Enemy Unknown... "I"A, because it is not Intelligent; they (your team mates) rush, leave positions and deform your orders pretty horrible and getting killed in the blink of an eye.

Anyway, it's funny, if you can deal with that or you don't want to play too much... Go ahead and buy it, if not, go with a friend and play a while, just enough to know it
  57. Aug 8, 2014
    Found this to be a very interesting and enjoyable game. New to the series I had no previous knowledge of earlier games and how they were. Challenging, good graphics and not a bad story make this worth a look for tactical shooter/fps fans.
  58. Oct 17, 2014
    A Mass Effect like tactical shooter based on the XCOM story background, this game inherited the "cover system" from XCOM and some similarities in skill trees, though I found it enjoyable at first few hours there's nothing particularly outstanding in this mediocre game.
    It's a mission-orientated FPS with the feature to control your squad (with two more soldiers) by pressing Space during combat, you can feel the peculiar tempo this game delivered which I think is the reason why lots of people hate this game, but honestly it's quite novel and it requires more than aim and shoot to keep your squad alive.
    In conclusion I'd say the combat itself is too long and repetitive, and the story isn't compelling or even a bit boring, you can actually take down every tough aliens with heal (from lv1) and with the lengthy main quest scenarios there's no incentive to do those side quests which is a requirement of this game from time to time.
  59. Sep 2, 2014
    This game by itself is moderately good (or bad) because its story, sound, graphics and characters are not among the best or worst.
    1. Story: a bit simple and shallow but still make sense.
    2. Sound: 2.1. Musics: repetitive, flat, transition between musics is no good 2.2. Sound effect: adequate, vivid in its own way, only too much background noise, not exactly a good design. 2.3. Voice:
    1. Story: a bit simple and shallow but still make sense.
    2. Sound:
    2.1. Musics: repetitive, flat, transition between musics is no good
    2.3. Voice: good, but listening to the voice of the main character for too long gave me headache, literally.
    3. Graphics: in terms of texture, detail, lighting and stuff, it is not the best but good enough.. However, the alien weapons could be a bit more stylish/alien.
    4. Characters: Mundane, sexist in terms of profession, conversations are not quite impressive.

Interestingly, if you have played the Mass Effect series (especially 2&3) you would find a lot of similarities between them. Additionally, I sure don't hate the developers for experimenting on different game genre, especially when they did an rather adequate job, but it would be better if they considered adding certain profound philosophical standpoint/logic or futuristic prospects.

In a nut shell, it is adequate and has quite a bit potentials.
  60. Mar 22, 2015
    A reasonably enjoyable 'tactical-shooter' style game with story and then shooter + squad management type game play similar to the Mass Effect games.

Pros: - The story and set design are superb! I was very impressed with how well visually crafted the alien sites and structures are. Many of the sites had this beautiful and immense cavernous feel to them - the base under the Hoover dam

Pros:
    - The story and set design are superb! I was very impressed with how well visually crafted the alien sites and structures are. Many of the sites had this beautiful and immense cavernous feel to them - the base under the Hoover dam was particularly cool.

- The combat is challenging, at times very hectic and is certainly fun; I often had to repeat encounters several times in order to successfully beat them.

- A good length to game as well, about 20 hours, which meant I was still enjoying the game by its end versus starting to feel like it was dragging on.

Cons:
    - For me the original XCOM: Enemy Unknown was a better game as it had much more to do versus The Bureau, for example being able to develop your base and invest in different technologies - none of which is present in the The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. The base elements in this game simply serve as story vehicle and at times were tedious / uninteresting.

Anyway, I bought this game in one of the Steam sales for $4.99 - for that price this game is serious entertainment bang for buck! If you can get it cheap I'd definitely recommend giving it a go.
  61. Feb 26, 2015
    The game is not bad, somehow it feels like it had the potential to be an unique breath taking game that set it apart from other games in the current market, it feels like just bone and skin no flesh between.

Im simply disappointed, the game didn´t deliver as I thought it would do. The creators wanted to show a possibility how the Xcom organization was formed, I doesn´t really think

Im simply disappointed, the game didn´t deliver as I thought it would do.

The creators wanted to show a possibility how the Xcom organization was formed, I doesn´t really think they said it was a prequel to the main remastered Xcom game that came out a while ago.

Good features

Nice strategy layout with awesome functionality
    interesting characters
    The game follow the red line
    The abilities for each class
    Dynamic field of battle ( victory seems close then the mutons suddenly show ups)

Bad Features
    Very interesting characters but no depth to know them better ( the notes are not enough)
    Few missions (can be finished within 5 hours if you guys know what to do)
    Repetitive enemies (in the early game make the game dull)
    Dull interactions sometimes (finish a badass mission no mention of it later in conversations)
    No iconic stuff ( no base management, no economy, no gut mentioned decision( until late game), no research, no production)

Final verdict

An awsome third pirson strategy game hybrid, waste of potential and with Xcom theme on it like a label on the game, still worth buying if you are an Xcom fan but if not then let this game pass.

Review is made by Zorg/Booliot
    The best player in the eternal silence game, sadly no one plays it any more ;_;
  62. Aug 20, 2013
    I'm seeing a lot of moaning that this isn't XCOM, and maybe the dev's should have just dropped the name because it seems more like fanboy rage, then actual constructive criticism of essential a pretty good 3rd person shooter.

The development has been marred with problems, mainly I believe to fanboy outrage to initial screens of the game. I was actually looking forward to a First person, investigation game. Then the game went dark, but eventually came back to life, in what seemed to be a mash up between Mass Effect and some XCOM elements.

I love the XCOM series, do I care that this game has XCOM in the title? No. I take games on face value, and not what I expect the game should be. In fact, I don't go into any games with expectations why would you? Why not be surprised, which I am about this game.

It didn't take long before I started getting the knack for the controls and ordering my men around it all seemed to work well, and I was killing aliens left, right and centre. The AI, seems intuitive enough to get the job done on both sides.

I love the setting, and the story isn't as convoluted as some have suggested. The game isn't perfect by any means. There have been some hiccups with stuttering, and slow downs but the steam community is on the ball. Hopefully updated video drivers and possible game tweaking will solve most of these issues which we should all be reminded happens even to the best of games.

I do feel the game is a little barron in respects to environments and ambient objects within the world. It kinda feels like a lost opportunity, but I also wonder whether it was a design decision to have more of a clean sterile look to most environments?

Overall this is a solid title, not great, but definitely not worth the scores that it's getting. This game is easily a low mid 8. I paid $36.00 for this game through a site, with some discounts, if you can't get 36 dollars worth of value from this game, then you are doing something VERY wrong.

1. Nov 6, 2013
    For all that The Bureau get’s wrong, it is at least a passable tactical shooter with a novel, well-realised setting. If you love the golden age of science-fiction, there’s something here for you. Just don’t expect it to ever get truly interesting, because XCOM Declassified never captures what XCOM is all about.
  2. Oct 5, 2013
    The Bureau: XCOM Declassified does not deliver. It is not bad, but rather depressingly average. [Sept 2013]
  3. Sep 25, 2013
    A competent tactical shooter that doesn't push any boundaries and is only peripherally related to XCOM. [Oct 2013, p.96]