- Summary: It's 1962. John F. Kennedy is the U.S. President and the Cold War has the nation gripped with fear – but a far more viscous and insidious enemy than communism is threatening America. Known only to a scant few, a covet government unit called The Bureau begins investigating and concealing aIt's 1962. John F. Kennedy is the U.S. President and the Cold War has the nation gripped with fear – but a far more viscous and insidious enemy than communism is threatening America. Known only to a scant few, a covet government unit called The Bureau begins investigating and concealing a series of mysterious attacks by an alien enemy. As special agent William Carter, you make the decisions, pull the trigger and lead your squad in a third-person tactical shooter set within a high-stakes, covert war to defend the human race. The Bureau’s mission is clear – survive, adapt and overcome the enemy threat (Heartbreak Ridge-style) to protect the citizens from the truth. … Collapse
Aug 27, 2013The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is an interesting hybrid between a traditional third-person shooter and a strategic game, with elements of role-playing game; but the impression is a game crippled by a troubled production. If you are in search of a different action videogame, maybe The Bureau is the game are you searching for.
Aug 22, 2013Developer 2K Marin has put everything into creating the best tactical fights possible. Because of this the third person alien shooter is at its best when taking on enemies in combat. Unfortunately everything else is less refined, but despite this The Bureau is still a great addition to the series.
Aug 19, 20132K Marin has done their best with the almost impossible task to create a narrative rich, tactic driven TPS that justifies the name of "XCOM". The result is a decent and professional effort from a team that could have done better without being tied to that name.
Aug 19, 2013The Bureau: XCOM Declassified desperately wants to be liked, but by failing to satisfy in any direction, all it succeeds in being is a disappointment. It wants to be a strategy game without being a strategy game, it wants to be a shooter without being a shooter, and it wants to be XCOM without being XCOM. As such, it is nothing. It's an inconsequential waste of time that does nothing for anybody, and saying that makes me feel guilty because its cloying pleas to not be hated are worthy of pity.
Aug 20, 2013I REAALLYY thought this would just be another shooter but they implemented X-COM's style of strategy so well it actually feels like 3rd personI REAALLYY thought this would just be another shooter but they implemented X-COM's style of strategy so well it actually feels like 3rd person RTS xcom, I dont care about the unsatisfied destructoid review I don't see why in the world he would like how it isnt a shooter or a strategy or an xcom game BECAUSE ITS ALL OF THOSE COMBINED, and that's much more awesome than it sounds
P.S: anyone going into this expecting a carbon copy of XCOM enemy unknown or UFO defense's gameplay is an idiot… Expand
Oct 2, 2014XCOM DECLASSIFIED = IS A COMBINATION OF THE FOLLOWING: 1) XCOM ENEMY WITHIN (GAME PLAY) 2) INFAMOUS (POWERS OF WILLIAM CARTER) 3) LAST OFXCOM DECLASSIFIED = IS A COMBINATION OF THE FOLLOWING: 1) XCOM ENEMY WITHIN (GAME PLAY) 2) INFAMOUS (POWERS OF WILLIAM CARTER) 3) LAST OF US (SLEEP WALKERS) 4) CALL OF DUTY (WAR BETWEEN MAN & ALIEN TACTICAL SHOOTING) 5) L.A. NOIRE (1962 CLASSIC TIME SETTING) ---------- IF YOU ARE A FAN OF XCOM GAME THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU!! ------------ The Bureau is a third-person shooter with an emphasis on squad-based tactics. The player controls the agent William Carter and commands two additional agents in each mission. Carter has his own unique abilities, but other agents are divided into the Commando, Engineer, Support, and Recon classes. By entering "Battle Focus Mode", which slows time significantly, the player can order their agents to move to strategic positions and activate class-specific abilities. Agents have customizable outfits, weapons, equipment and abilities. As in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, soldiers will suffer from permanent death and if Carter is unable to revive agents who have taken too much damage, they will die (variable difficulty levels also determine whether or not it is possible for downed agents to become battle-ready when revived, or if replacement agents will appear during a mission).… Expand
Aug 23, 2013The story is interesting and entertaining and works perfectly as a sequel to the X-Com games. The only aspect that you may complain about isThe story is interesting and entertaining and works perfectly as a sequel to the X-Com games. The only aspect that you may complain about is the gameplay, that has a few bugs that can easily be fixed with a patch. You should at least check it out.… Expand
Mar 22, 2015A reasonably enjoyable 'tactical-shooter' style game with story and then shooter + squad management type game play similar to the Mass EffectA reasonably enjoyable 'tactical-shooter' style game with story and then shooter + squad management type game play similar to the Mass Effect games.
- The story and set design are superb! I was very impressed with how well visually crafted the alien sites and structures are. Many of the sites had this beautiful and immense cavernous feel to them - the base under the Hoover dam was particularly cool.
- The combat is challenging, at times very hectic and is certainly fun; I often had to repeat encounters several times in order to successfully beat them.
- A good length to game as well, about 20 hours, which meant I was still enjoying the game by its end versus starting to feel like it was dragging on.
- For me the original XCOM: Enemy Unknown was a better game as it had much more to do versus The Bureau, for example being able to develop your base and invest in different technologies - none of which is present in the The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. The base elements in this game simply serve as story vehicle and at times were tedious / uninteresting.
Anyway, I bought this game in one of the Steam sales for $4.99 - for that price this game is serious entertainment bang for buck! If you can get it cheap I'd definitely recommend giving it a go.… Expand
Sep 2, 2014This game by itself is moderately good (or bad) because its story, sound, graphics and characters are not among the best or worst.
1. Story:This game by itself is moderately good (or bad) because its story, sound, graphics and characters are not among the best or worst.
1. Story: a bit simple and shallow but still make sense.
2.1. Musics: repetitive, flat, transition between musics is no good
2.2. Sound effect: adequate, vivid in its own way, only too much background noise, not exactly a good design.
2.3. Voice: good, but listening to the voice of the main character for too long gave me headache, literally.
3. Graphics: in terms of texture, detail, lighting and stuff, it is not the best but good enough.. However, the alien weapons could be a bit more stylish/alien.
4. Characters: Mundane, sexist in terms of profession, conversations are not quite impressive.
Interestingly, if you have played the Mass Effect series (especially 2&3) you would find a lot of similarities between them. Additionally, I sure don't hate the developers for experimenting on different game genre, especially when they did an rather adequate job, but it would be better if they considered adding certain profound philosophical standpoint/logic or futuristic prospects.
In a nut shell, it is adequate and has quite a bit potentials.… Expand
Aug 24, 2013Okay if you have never played an XCOM before then this game will be interesting and possibly fun, The game has a decent story and even thoughOkay if you have never played an XCOM before then this game will be interesting and possibly fun, The game has a decent story and even though the firefights are repetitive they are still a little fun.....But if you have played XCOM before then this game is not what you want. It has ABSOLUTELY no relation to the events of the other games, the gameplay is different the story is completely different and the only thing that this game and the others share is the XCOM… Expand
Feb 11, 2015This is not XCOM. It tries to mix XCOM and Mass Effect, taking the best from both genres, but it falls horribly short. The developers reliedThis is not XCOM. It tries to mix XCOM and Mass Effect, taking the best from both genres, but it falls horribly short. The developers relied on the XCOM name to sell a game that is poorly designed. You cannot save at all. The plot destroys the XCOM universe. The gameplay is clumsy. The graphics are decent for an FPS, but that is the only thing going for it. If you are an XCOM fan, then this game is not for you. Worst game to bear the name XCOM since Apocalypse.… Expand