The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion PC

8.1

1. Apr 10, 2011
    Peanut butter by itself is delicious, but when you combine it with stuff like nutella, it becomes amazing. So it is with Oblivion and its mods. Oblivion is currently 5 years old and has TWENTY TWO THOUSAND mods on tesnexus alone. Literally anything you want oblivion to be, it can be. It is a great game, but can become bland by itself, but not until you've run through the main quest andPeanut butter by itself is delicious, but when you combine it with stuff like nutella, it becomes amazing. So it is with Oblivion and its mods. Oblivion is currently 5 years old and has TWENTY TWO THOUSAND mods on tesnexus alone. Literally anything you want oblivion to be, it can be. It is a great game, but can become bland by itself, but not until you've run through the main quest and become the head of all the guilds, but the real allure is the open ended gameplay and the mods.

I recommend playing the vanilla game first, ie unmodded, and then adding in tweaks. You'll go from a great game to a new world as you add new elements to get deeper into the game. I have been coming back to this game for 5 years and I will only stop playing for the same reason I stopped playing its predecessor, Morrowind, because the next iteration has come out and its mods are even better!

Bethesda is a hell of a game company and their RPG's are bar none the best RPG's ever made due to the fact that you can make the game whatever you want it to be. Don't buy it on console, you'd be cheating yourself, come to the dark side of modding and you will never look back.

The only downside to Oblivion is that its not quite as vivid as Morrowind was as it was made a tad more mainstream and simplified to release as one of the first 360 games, but on PC you won't have that issue.

Disclaimer- I am not responsible for your becoming a TES addict.
  2. Jun 30, 2011
    This is the BEST game I have ever played. I bought it when it first came out however long ago and I have probably played completely through it 15 times? All with totally different characters with completely different strategy. The level of depth its incredible, a depth only matched by Morrowind, the previous entry into the Elder scrolls. This cannot be beat. "mediocre graphics?" yea myThis is the BEST game I have ever played. I bought it when it first came out however long ago and I have probably played completely through it 15 times? All with totally different characters with completely different strategy. The level of depth its incredible, a depth only matched by Morrowind, the previous entry into the Elder scrolls. This cannot be beat. "mediocre graphics?" yea my ass, the graphics are awesome even now, its still a game that I can play and not have to gripe about the graphics. If your that spoiled that this game looks bad, go watch a movie, if you want to basically play your own movie with some pretty awesome graphics, game play, quest line, re playability etc than play this game. The Add ons are pretty sweet too I have them all (I would get the deluxe edition if I were buying it). IF you dont mind graphics, play morrowind too! Its SO deep intense, and the same good things just with bad graphics. So look at the good reviews, compare to the bad ones (in number and info) and realize they are cry babies. They have their "perfect games" most of them are probably something linear and stale like crysis and cant handle the freedom of an open ended RPG. Expand
  3. Jul 2, 2011
    Where to begin, Oblivion is one of the best games ever created. The joy of exploring a huge open fantasy world is just delicious indeed. Plus Oblivion is very accessible for all you "dumbed-down" types. Be sure to download the essential mods (50+ of those, 4 being my mods, hehe) to create the most awesome open-world RPG ever. Another must play. Don't talk to me about RPGs until you play this.
  4. Nov 19, 2011
    So long as you dont know about the level scaling system untill youve poured your life into this thing you will be fine. Its true. The elder scrolls provide a universe that makes you forget the bugs, forget the level scaling issues, forget what small problems persist, its all an amazing expierience, but oblivion is probablly the worst elder scrolls game by far.
  5. Dec 15, 2010
    Fantastic Game. The freedom we have to mount classes , magics and our own alternative paths and quests in the game are really unique. Plus , instead of other famous RPG like games, it brings us the experience of good first person combat.
  6. Dec 30, 2011
    One of the best games ever created. Massive world,massive amount of customization,amazing graphics, beautiful soundtrack and touching story makes Oblivion an experience of lifetime. Oblivion improves everything from Morrowind. Get ready to lose your social life!
  7. Dec 26, 2010
    Would've been way better had I not played Fallout 3 first, but this is only getting a slightly above average score since you have to get it on pc and get mods to fix the glaring gameplay problems like psychic guards, a retarded leveling system, and so on.
  8. Apr 21, 2011
    The awful level-up system and vast number of unfixed bugs prevent me from giving this game a perfect score. Don't let that dissuade you, though - it's a fantastic game which provided me with over 100 hours of gameplay before I became even remotely bored.
  9. May 17, 2011
    This was the game that made me finally drop my xbox and buy a decent pc some years ago. I have been modding and enjoying Oblivion ever since and still manage to add fresh new content. This was the ultimate world builder and gaming experience. Since then its costs me thousands in constantly buying and upgrading my PC but if I consider the entertainment I have had out of it and theThis was the game that made me finally drop my xbox and buy a decent pc some years ago. I have been modding and enjoying Oblivion ever since and still manage to add fresh new content. This was the ultimate world builder and gaming experience. Since then its costs me thousands in constantly buying and upgrading my PC but if I consider the entertainment I have had out of it and the hours of fun I have had in Cyrodil. Its been money well spent. Expand
  10. Sep 30, 2011
    I can really do without a game telling me on screen that I've reached the entrance to a cave when I'm stood 1 foot away from said entrance. A game where levelling up seems more than a bit pointless. A game where I'm thinking 'why don't they get the guards to do this quest - they're obviously more capable'. A game which threw away many of the great things that its predecessor had. But II can really do without a game telling me on screen that I've reached the entrance to a cave when I'm stood 1 foot away from said entrance. A game where levelling up seems more than a bit pointless. A game where I'm thinking 'why don't they get the guards to do this quest - they're obviously more capable'. A game which threw away many of the great things that its predecessor had. But I can't honestly give this game less than an 8. It's entertaining, engaging and has some replayability and if it grabs you, you will probably spend a lot of time with it. Personally, I found it a lot more enjoyable when I finished the game at level 8 as opposed to level 24., which says it all about the levelling system. Still, at today's prices I would consider it a great buy. Expand
  11. Mar 13, 2011
    You will love or hate this game and one factor will determine which of the 2 it will be and that is if you mind a game lacking structure and be exceptionally open ended if you want a strong coherent story that is in any way linear this is not your game. However if you do not mind going so far as to even completely abandon even the main quest line for a while this is your game you can spendYou will love or hate this game and one factor will determine which of the 2 it will be and that is if you mind a game lacking structure and be exceptionally open ended if you want a strong coherent story that is in any way linear this is not your game. However if you do not mind going so far as to even completely abandon even the main quest line for a while this is your game you can spend hours hot accepting one quest just mindlessly wasting time killing thing and exploring dungeons if you do not mind a game being a complete time sink. the simple ability to be absolutely any class and just do whatever the hell you want is where this game shines. Expand
  12. May 1, 2011
    Honestly, I don't understand most of the negative criticism for this game. A HUGE improvement on TES3: Morrowind in terms of combat and atmosphere. Combat is much more engaging, as it should be for this style of game. Quests are entertaining and tough enemies are very challenging (until you are extremely high level). Coupled with a do-anything-you-want style world, this game willHonestly, I don't understand most of the negative criticism for this game. A HUGE improvement on TES3: Morrowind in terms of combat and atmosphere. Combat is much more engaging, as it should be for this style of game. Quests are entertaining and tough enemies are very challenging (until you are extremely high level). Coupled with a do-anything-you-want style world, this game will entertain for hours. My only complaint is that it ended so soon. The world is much smaller than its predecessor, Morrowind. Players of that game will find the world somewhat confining, and you definitely won't get the 500+ hours of gameplay like you did in that title. An awesome game, though. Can't wait for TES V! Expand
  13. Jun 11, 2011
    You cannot compare this to fallout, because its nothing like it. This game is absolutely amazing, and will go down in history because 5 years on, it still looks beautiful. The open world it delivers is massive and full, wherever you go there is something, which shows how refined the game is and how much effort was put in, the graphics are amazing for the time and the storyline keeps youYou cannot compare this to fallout, because its nothing like it. This game is absolutely amazing, and will go down in history because 5 years on, it still looks beautiful. The open world it delivers is massive and full, wherever you go there is something, which shows how refined the game is and how much effort was put in, the graphics are amazing for the time and the storyline keeps you captivated. I like how the story takes you all over the world, which makes the RPG even bigger because of movement, and in between walking you stumble across more and more caves or ruins and you HAVE to explore them, it side tracks you so much, you find yourself nowhere near where you wanted and another 5 hours of game play in the bag. There are obviously flaws, i will get onto them later. The AI are one of the best AI in a video game and they respond completely to your presence. I like the character designs too, there has been so much thought put into everything, the amount of things you can be..it makes your character different to your friends, and not many games can deliver that. The sound is absolutely amazing off memory, the music when you are battling through the wilderness is perfect, creating a brilliant mood that you can delve, making you believe you are in the game. The flaws, like i said earlier, is that there isnt many battles with more than one creature, imagine the game with epic battles with more than 20 enemies at once? it would be superb, the greatest...but I think thats down to FPS, the game would not run with masses of enemies attacking at once. It isnt a massive problem, but its something i wouldnt mind in it, because the game is still amazing without it, and its such a minor problem when you look over the entire game. Everything has a unique design which makes you believe you are there. Summing up the game, it is a definite buy, if you dont enjoy this game at all, not even for sound/graphics then you are a fool, this is an amazing game which definitely by-passes Morrowind and shows that the developers (Bethesda) are constantly evolving for the better, one of the greatest games ever. Undoubtedly 10/10. - FlubbaJubba Expand
  14. Feb 17, 2012
    From when it was released to the release of skyrim, modded oblivion was a 10/10. However a lot of people don't play this game with mods. Which leaves a far more bare journey. It's still a great game, with an incredible amount of quality content in it's vanilla state. It's just not comparable to the masterpiece that is the modded version (For reference, check out the all time tesnexusFrom when it was released to the release of skyrim, modded oblivion was a 10/10. However a lot of people don't play this game with mods. Which leaves a far more bare journey. It's still a great game, with an incredible amount of quality content in it's vanilla state. It's just not comparable to the masterpiece that is the modded version (For reference, check out the all time tesnexus oblivion mods). As an unmodded game it's a 8/10 in the current climate. As a modded game. It's a 10/10. This score reflects the modded version. Expand
  15. Oct 9, 2011
    100+ hours of content before you even added the DLCs, decent graphics for the release year, okay combat system, very atmospheric music and sound, totally moddable so you can get updates to just about everything. Just about the perfect RPG of the decade.
  16. Apr 26, 2011
    Best game ever. I am still playing it. It has bugs, but because it's great mod-ability, mods have fixed all of them. I played hundreds of hours without mods and patches, and I've played hundreds of hours with mods and patches. I have loved every moment.
  17. Apr 26, 2011
    I can't really give it anything less after putting 100+ hours into it and enjoying every minute of it. of course it does have some flaws including repetitive dungeons, not rewarding exploration enough, bad levelling system and game play bugs. overall it is a fantastic game.
  18. May 7, 2011
    One of the best. To complains of bugs, yes they exist, but I've not seen a game with such scale and detail do better. If players want to complain that something doesn't work perfectly, maybe they should get up and make that perfect game themselves instead of just complaining. The backstory and freedom is great. I've never done much of the main quest, since there is so much to do all aroundOne of the best. To complains of bugs, yes they exist, but I've not seen a game with such scale and detail do better. If players want to complain that something doesn't work perfectly, maybe they should get up and make that perfect game themselves instead of just complaining. The backstory and freedom is great. I've never done much of the main quest, since there is so much to do all around the world. Maybe BioWare games have better story and dialog, but at least the Elder Scrolls games let you do things beside shacking up with every living creature in the world. BioWare does movies and cyber-intimacy. BethSoft does freedom and adventuring with a character that you make up. Instead of following the story they write up for players on who the main character is, the Elder Scrolls actually lets players make their own character, backstory, and morals. True role-playing gaming. Expand
  19. May 15, 2011
    Oblivion is a classic. There is so much to do and such a big world that it is very liberating. With no real classes, you can do almost anything given enough time and training. The flora and fauna of Cyrodil is diverse and interesting. The graphics, at the time were quite impressive and for a 5 year old game, they're still very decent. Some of the quests are fun and varied, though the curseOblivion is a classic. There is so much to do and such a big world that it is very liberating. With no real classes, you can do almost anything given enough time and training. The flora and fauna of Cyrodil is diverse and interesting. The graphics, at the time were quite impressive and for a 5 year old game, they're still very decent. Some of the quests are fun and varied, though the curse of repetitive quests in rpgs still plagues this game. If there isn't enough game for you, even with the expansions, there are many mods out there to help you tailor the game to your desires. Expand
  20. May 15, 2011
    250 hours. That is how long I have spent in the world of oblivion. And I don't want a single nanosecond back.

I have one and one only criticism: The characters are awful, awful, awful and the voice acting is dreaful.
  21. May 20, 2011
    A heroic fantasy masterpiece and an RPG modder's dream, sadly flawed by some poor design choices (eg, level scaling) and its reliance on a vague high fantasy aesthetic over the depth of lore and hand-crafted world of its predecessor Morrowind.

But the scope, potential, and fundamental gameplay value of Oblivion can hardly be overstated, especially when it's considered as a 5 year-old game. An imperfect classic.
  22. May 22, 2011
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is fun, engaging and consuming, but its main drawback is that it's pretty repetitive. The game takes place in a vast country, containing 9 cities, and many villages, caves, forts and other landmarks. The landscapes are stunning, eye-candy at its most (if you set the video options to high that is). The ambient music is beautiful too. It actually adds heavily toElder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is fun, engaging and consuming, but its main drawback is that it's pretty repetitive. The game takes place in a vast country, containing 9 cities, and many villages, caves, forts and other landmarks. The landscapes are stunning, eye-candy at its most (if you set the video options to high that is). The ambient music is beautiful too. It actually adds heavily to the atmosphere, making you feel like part of this enormous world. However majority of those locations I've mentioned are pretty repetitive. A lot of caves and other dungeons look the same. Hence the free-roaming does get boring eventually. The character creation feature however is phenomenal. First of all you get to choose one of 10 races (4 races of humans, 3 races of elves, and then also orcs, argonians and khajiit), each one with its own set of pros and cons. After you've chosen a race you customize the character's appearance, all of their facial features, etc. After that you pick a class. Best idea to perhaps customize your own class, because the way it works is that each class favours a certain set of skills and attributes, meaning you get bonuses to those at the start and they are the ones that would contribute to your levelling up. So getting to choose the attributes yourself is the best. The main story is not bad. It does have its good bits and also some boring bits, but all in all worth playing through at least once. The game has a huge amount of side quests too, as well as 4 different factions, all of which have their own story arcs as well - Fighter's guild, Mages' guild, Thieves' guild and The Dark Brotherhood (aka Assassins' guild). There is a good variety of various armors and weapons. However for the most part the better items only start appearing once you reach a certain level, and the levelling up is rather slow. Nevertheless, due to such a big variety of skills, the game can be played in many different ways - a sturdy paladin, a silent archer, a fierce spellcaster, a poison assassin, a hand-to-hand fighter, etc. However playing as the same character for long does get repetitive, and hence I'd say Oblivion is not one of those games you tend to come back to very quickly after completing it. Overall it's a beautiful and very atmospheric game. It's a consuming new world. That's what it is. When you play Oblivion, you find yourself feeling like you're part of it. Expand
  23. May 17, 2011
    Oblivion was my favourite game when it was released. After 5 years, I have just gone back to play it again, and it is just as magical as before. The storyline is amazing, and the seamless way in which you can pursue adventure down so many smaller story arcs is just fantastic.

The feature that gives this game so much replay value, however, is the ability to mod. There are so many available and they breath new life into the game at every turn.
  24. May 20, 2011
    I admit I love Oblivion, I played like hundreds of hours in it. However, there is the Oblivion out of the box which you grow tired of rather quickly, certainly after one full run through the main quest (which I liked but could be more elaborate) and some of the guild quests. And then there is the modded Oblivion which is simply amazing and a universe in itself. Out of the box the game is aI admit I love Oblivion, I played like hundreds of hours in it. However, there is the Oblivion out of the box which you grow tired of rather quickly, certainly after one full run through the main quest (which I liked but could be more elaborate) and some of the guild quests. And then there is the modded Oblivion which is simply amazing and a universe in itself. Out of the box the game is a 6 or 7 maybe (I much agree with what reviewer Phlakes is saying), but the modded game is the best game ever, if you take the time to learn modding which can get intricate and intimidating. So I give it a 9. Expand
  25. May 24, 2011
    This game is undoubtedly one of the greatest, if not the greatest, I've ever played. The game-play is fun, the character-creation system is ambitious, and the story is captivating (but perhaps a bit generic). The class system is entirely flexible, allowing you to take advantage of limitless possibilities. Bethesda's huge library of lore is so diverse and expansive; it could convince youThis game is undoubtedly one of the greatest, if not the greatest, I've ever played. The game-play is fun, the character-creation system is ambitious, and the story is captivating (but perhaps a bit generic). The class system is entirely flexible, allowing you to take advantage of limitless possibilities. Bethesda's huge library of lore is so diverse and expansive; it could convince you that Tamriel is a real place. There are a plethora of dungeons to explore, items to find, and monsters to slay. Only a handful of negative factors (lack of diverse voice-acting, awkward AI, etc.) stopped me from giving this game a perfect ten. There is absolutely no-one that I wouldn't recommend this game to; It's a great experience, and you'll easily put over a hundred hours into exploring the beautiful land of Cyrodiil. If the 2006 graphics aren't to your liking, there are plenty of mods over on TESNexus or Planet Elder Scrolls to improve them.

The defining factor that places Oblivion on the RPG Throne is it's open world. It's the very first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions the game. There are choices to be made in every situation; your character could be a ruthless assassin, a righteous knight, or a brilliant mage; there are no boundaries. So buy Oblivion, you'll be glad you did.
  26. Jul 2, 2011
    Its a large game with a big world many quest and many item. its an open world wich i liked the most. plus mods you can download mant more items quests and world spaces, so best game ever.
  27. May 30, 2011
    This is what a game should be- you felt fully immersed, as though your decisions mattered- this is a great game, and a great modding community make it even better.
  28. May 31, 2011
    perhaps 1 of the best series of games out there, excellent idea and masters non-linear gaming. although a number of glitches haunt this game; a modding community still very much alive and active today has pretty much rectified any problems remaining. the elder scrolls created not only a game but a legacy and probably has a lore behind it that rivals star trek :) - just search oblivion inperhaps 1 of the best series of games out there, excellent idea and masters non-linear gaming. although a number of glitches haunt this game; a modding community still very much alive and active today has pretty much rectified any problems remaining. the elder scrolls created not only a game but a legacy and probably has a lore behind it that rivals star trek :) - just search oblivion in google and youll see wat i mean. althought made in 2006, ign said that it took 2 2008 4 another game 2 top it - fallout 3. Note: made by same company oblivion is not a game it is a world therefore rated 2 the max Expand
  29. Jun 1, 2011
    i think this is one of the best RPG games i ever played. U can be almost what u want...Assassin, mage or warrior...The quest are good, but the main quest is a little bit ....how can i say...not the best.
  30. Jun 9, 2012
    Played this game for like 50 hours and unfortunately I have to say the gameplay is broken. Why? Because investing in the illusion & invisibility can make any quest too easy. Going through the main campaign was a breeze (even on hardest difficulty) simply because I could turn invisible, turn enemies against each other and do the entire game without having to fight an enemy.

When you're

When you're able to do that, and there's no way for the enemy to stop you, how will this game be challenging? I'm not gonna pretend I don't have these powers just to enjoy the game, it's broken gameplay. On top of that, I didn't even have to level up at all, which is done by sleeping. They should've done it so you automatically level up as soon as you get the experience. Now you can just avoid leveling up. Why would you want to do that? Because your enemies and creatures become better and stronger the more you level up. You can stop this process by not going to bed.

Anyways, it was fun while it lasted. Now it's just boring.
  31. Jun 17, 2011
    This is more than a game, this is the future of man kind. I am bringing you my second review on one of my favorite games of all time, OBLIVION. This game came out a while back but it is still enjoyable as any game that has came out recently. If you have played an elder scrolls game you will know what i mean. The characters have good story lines and the whole game is packed with side questsThis is more than a game, this is the future of man kind. I am bringing you my second review on one of my favorite games of all time, OBLIVION. This game came out a while back but it is still enjoyable as any game that has came out recently. If you have played an elder scrolls game you will know what i mean. The characters have good story lines and the whole game is packed with side quests which will give you the equipment to finish the main story easier. You start off in a prison, you don't know anything, but you quickly find out a thew things
    * That dark elf in the other jail is a douche
    * That the emperors son's are getting killed
    * You are the one who must close the jaws of oblivion

When you have finished the tutorial you will be placed in the world. You will have to guide your own path through the game, i have played through an assassin and a thief and they have total different game play which makes the replay ability of the game outstanding. I can't wait for skyrim as it should take care of the things oblivion had like poor graphics, the weird voice acting of the normal npc's and the zooming into the faces. The modding community is vast, as there are mods that add magic in the game, or total conversions which in turn, make the game more re playable. BUY THIS GAME, RIGHT NOW!
  32. Jun 24, 2011
    This game was absolutely amazing, it has great lore, lots of content and a lot of things to do. The main quest can get repetitive, but the story is pretty cool. However, you shouldn't play this game just for the story, the most amazing part of this game is how open and huge it is and how many side quests and content there is. Overall, an outstanding game, it was fun playing and well worthThis game was absolutely amazing, it has great lore, lots of content and a lot of things to do. The main quest can get repetitive, but the story is pretty cool. However, you shouldn't play this game just for the story, the most amazing part of this game is how open and huge it is and how many side quests and content there is. Overall, an outstanding game, it was fun playing and well worth the money. Expand
  33. Jan 5, 2013
    Oblivion is no doubt an excellent game. My review might be a bit judgement-clouded because I've played Skyrim and waited too long to do a review on this game. On one hand, the storytelling, character development, spells and variety of weapons/skills/potions are all done with brilliance. On the other hand, some parts of the game seem insanely rushed and unpolished. The caves are copy andOblivion is no doubt an excellent game. My review might be a bit judgement-clouded because I've played Skyrim and waited too long to do a review on this game. On one hand, the storytelling, character development, spells and variety of weapons/skills/potions are all done with brilliance. On the other hand, some parts of the game seem insanely rushed and unpolished. The caves are copy and pastes. The time-freezing when talking to NPC's is very stupid and sucks away the atmosphere. The level up system is pretty bad, but tolerable... Somewhat. Some NPC's will change the pitch of their voice out of nowhere. The sneaking is done well, but can be very unpredictable and frustrating because you can still be detected no matter how quiet or far away you were. No diagonal running, ugh. The dialogue between NPC's is as bad as a Tommy Wiseau movie. Some potions found in the game have hardly any reason to exist, because potions like "Restore 1 Luck Point" is beyond trivial. Overall, the game is great, but the many glitches and laziness of the game is there too. Expand
  34. Jul 4, 2011
    revolutionary game that sets the bar so high for open world RPG's that it probably wont be beat by any game except its own sequel. A HUGE open world that has a life of its own. You can take almost any action you can think of. Combat is VASTLY improved compared to morrowind and is much more fun. This is as close to the perfect game as it gets.
  35. Jul 5, 2011
    Well what can i say that everyone hasn't Morrowind (Oblivion) is One of the most complex games out there it may be outdated on Graphics but it surpasses most if not all other Role Playing Games on the market when it comes to a big world with almost endless quests and more gear then you can think of. Great game i cant wait until Skyrim comes out to set the new Standard on Role Playing Games.
  36. Jul 13, 2011
    Oblivion is a great game, but has some sizable setbacks. Gameplay is solid and something you can get easily hooked on. The quests, while moderately unoriginal, are presented in a unique way. Unfortunately, combat is smooth but almost too hard, and the leveling system is flawed and may level you faster than you can keep up. In addition to the flawed leveling system, most new players willOblivion is a great game, but has some sizable setbacks. Gameplay is solid and something you can get easily hooked on. The quests, while moderately unoriginal, are presented in a unique way. Unfortunately, combat is smooth but almost too hard, and the leveling system is flawed and may level you faster than you can keep up. In addition to the flawed leveling system, most new players will have no idea what they're doing, as it doesn't tell you what specializing in a skill will do. Overall, the minor flaws can be overlooked by great overall gameplay, and this is a worthwhile game. Expand
  37. Jan 19, 2012
    The sheer scope of Oblivion is nearly incomprehensible, both in the size of the world itself (Cyrodil or Tamriel? Never quite found out) and in the number of side quests and detailed characters on offer everywhere you go, it's the type of game where you can just march off into the sunset and simply stumble upon adventure, of course your successful free-lance adventuring depends upon you'reThe sheer scope of Oblivion is nearly incomprehensible, both in the size of the world itself (Cyrodil or Tamriel? Never quite found out) and in the number of side quests and detailed characters on offer everywhere you go, it's the type of game where you can just march off into the sunset and simply stumble upon adventure, of course your successful free-lance adventuring depends upon you're character being strong enough to deal with the foes you encounter, but that's the same with every RPG, only, they have the sense to fence off areas you aren't ready for, nonetheless I appreciate the unencumbered freedom Oblivion provides. Two flaws to address: 1) The ratio of becoming stronger : main story progression is nowhere near 1:1, and once I reached the point of going around and closing every oblivion gate in the game, I found I had to save before every armoured enemy because I was obliterated at almost every encounter without fail, and this is even including the vast amount of side quests i'd achieved, you'd think that much grinding would give me at least some advantage over my average foe. I'm not saying challenge is a bad thing, you just need to look at games like Pokemon where you can raise six pokemon through the entire game keeping them at equal levels the entire time and still not loose a single match, but coming from that to dying every time I so much as make eye contact with a fireman was too much of a jump. 2) The six different voice actors Bethesda hired to distribute amongst hundreds of npcs really destroy any sense of immersion, oh, and the speech-craft mini-game? I'd rather eat my own dick.
    Regardless, this is an incredible, one-of-a-kind game, and were it not for the fact that I'm a busy guy with a lot of **** to do, i'm sure that I would've reached the end of the main quest, but considering the point where I quit was 68 hours in, this game has to be doing something...in fact, several things right
  38. Dec 16, 2011
    A bit overhyped, but actually quite good in my opinion. Yes it has its flaws - level scaling, UI, animations are silly, main story is quite cheap, atmosphere still not as good as Morrowind etc. Yet still the world is unbelievably huge and very well made. It requires a special approach to this game to fully enjoy it, but it is worth it.
  39. Jul 30, 2011
    My first truly open-world game (decided to play it after the announcement of Skyrim) that swept me off my feet despite many controversial issues as discussed by user Phlakes. I truly believe that this game, despite its years, should be at least experienced to some extent as an introduction to the Elder Scrolls series. Despite its lack of voice actors and strong NPC interactions, I feltMy first truly open-world game (decided to play it after the announcement of Skyrim) that swept me off my feet despite many controversial issues as discussed by user Phlakes. I truly believe that this game, despite its years, should be at least experienced to some extent as an introduction to the Elder Scrolls series. Despite its lack of voice actors and strong NPC interactions, I felt immersed enough to research a whole lot about the world of Tamriel and the Elder Scrolls Prophecy. Expand
  40. Aug 21, 2011
    I did play Morrow Wind before. And i did enjoy Oblivion a lot. The story sucks in, RPG element is very well balanced, and it's just fun to explore the world, finding caves and looting skeletons! :) Just make sure to get some MODS - it's gonna make the game even better!
  41. Aug 6, 2011
    This game is the best rpg i have played with a variety of different quests and missions. You can join many different groups and guilds. Also the game leaves you to just do whatever you want and where you want it has a decent story that could be tweaked slghtly as it is not perfect and also there are many problems i havent found any major ones to bother me alot
  42. Dec 22, 2013
    Newcomers to the Elder Scrolls world should be warned of the existence of a menace that should not be allowed to influence their opinion of the series or its individual game. This is the sub-variety of fanboy I have dubbed the "Morrowindbag." The attitude of a Morrowindbag is that Morrowind was a great game (I agree with that) and that every other Elder Scrolls game after it was garbage.Newcomers to the Elder Scrolls world should be warned of the existence of a menace that should not be allowed to influence their opinion of the series or its individual game. This is the sub-variety of fanboy I have dubbed the "Morrowindbag." The attitude of a Morrowindbag is that Morrowind was a great game (I agree with that) and that every other Elder Scrolls game after it was garbage. 95% of the time, this is pure fanboy snobbery. Morrowind was an outstanding game for its time and is well worth playing today. But its complexities merely reflect the complex society in which it was set, the Dark Elves of Morrowind. The idea that the urbane Imperials of Cyrodiil, much less the "hearty" (or stupid) Nords of Skyrim should behave like Dark Elves is ludicrous. But that's your fanboy for you. He learns one game, and instead of taking a flexible approach, he sits in his little fortress and spends the rest of his days sneering at everyone else. OK, dude, it's a free country. But outsiders trying to get some idea of what the ES series is all about are well advised to ignore him.

Not that some good ideas from Morrowind, and Oblivion, haven't been mistakenly set aside. I much prefer Morrowind's drag and drop approach to equipping your character to Skyrim's dress-in-the-dark, which sometimes leads you to wandering around outside in your underwear. I don't think that Skyrim should have thrown out custom spellmaking, either it was ridiculously overpowered in Oblivion, but the answer to that is to tone it down, not to throw it out. But many of the Morrowindbag's criticisms are on the level of "the armor in Skyrim is too simple!" If you can get so attached to one game that you can't accept the next one unless it has pauldrons, then you damn well need professional help.
  43. Aug 22, 2011
    This is a fantastic game with so much replay value. It is a HUGE improvement over the previous ES game, compared to Morrowind it's 100% better. Amazing main storyline, great voice acting, amazing guild quests and many, many great side quests. This game has kept me entertained for literally hundreds of hours. I've had it bug out a few times but after I removed all my mods andThis is a fantastic game with so much replay value. It is a HUGE improvement over the previous ES game, compared to Morrowind it's 100% better. Amazing main storyline, great voice acting, amazing guild quests and many, many great side quests. This game has kept me entertained for literally hundreds of hours. I've had it bug out a few times but after I removed all my mods and reinstalled it played perfectly so i think it was the mods that were screwing it up (which makes me sad because there's a plethora of really cool mods for this game too). So far in playing the un-modded and officially patched game I've run across no bugs whatsoever so I'm not sure what all the complaining is about. Expand
  44. Aug 5, 2013
    This game was my introduction to the elder scrolls series.
    Story-
    7/10 as far as story goes I'd give oblivion a 7/10 monarch X has been killed the hero must now find his heir and stop event Y from happening. The story has a couple memorable characters such as Baruas, Mankar Cameron, Lucius and Jauffre, but outside of that none really seem that unique or different. Gameplay 9/10 The
    This game was my introduction to the elder scrolls series.
    Story-

Gameplay
    The gate mechanic is fun and original, I never thought closing gates got old. Another great mechanic is the radiant AI, they make you feel like you are actually in a living, breathing world.

Quests
    Some quests in the game are better than others for example, in my opinion, the fighter.s guild, thieve's guild (until the last couple of quests) and mage's guild are fairly lack luster; while The Dark Brotherhood, The main quest line, various NPC quests, and the Deadric quests are very fun.

The Sound
    Amazing OST, simply epic

Dungeon Design
    non-linear dungeons with traps and lots of loot keep these very entertaining at first, but start to feel repetitive by the end of the game.

Graphics
    at its time 10/10, but even with aging I can't give it below a 8/10

Challenge
    The difficulty slider is there for experienced RPG players, but once you get to the late game where you have money out your ears the game becomes fairly easy once more.

Verdict
    8.6/10
  45. Aug 21, 2011
    A phenomenal next game in the Elder Scrolls series that took everything that wasn't already great in Morrowind and made it great! You would always hit an enemy if your weapon made contact, the graphics were upped 10 fold, every NPC in the game has dialogue and most importantly... There's a new story to immerse yourself with and a new land. Tamriel! This game is very imaginative and runsA phenomenal next game in the Elder Scrolls series that took everything that wasn't already great in Morrowind and made it great! You would always hit an enemy if your weapon made contact, the graphics were upped 10 fold, every NPC in the game has dialogue and most importantly... There's a new story to immerse yourself with and a new land. Tamriel! This game is very imaginative and runs amazingly. The inventory has had a complete overhaul (among other things) and is what I would call the peak of RPG gaming available at the moment. The soundtrack to this game is unforgettable. For a taste of it try typing in Reign of the Septims in the YouTube search. That is the most memorable song I have heard in my life! This game is great and anyone who has a spare life should buy this game! After you've started, you won't be using your real life as much anymore! Expand
  46. Oct 13, 2011
    First, I felt Bethesda improved greatly on the flow of the game. In Morrowind the combat was boring and for a long time (until you leveled your weapon skills) you would miss about 75% of attacks. Oblivion has the Dual combat system to where you can cast spells and melee with out pressing a button to switch between modes. Dialog is this game isn't the best but if you get past the similarFirst, I felt Bethesda improved greatly on the flow of the game. In Morrowind the combat was boring and for a long time (until you leveled your weapon skills) you would miss about 75% of attacks. Oblivion has the Dual combat system to where you can cast spells and melee with out pressing a button to switch between modes. Dialog is this game isn't the best but if you get past the similar voice acting, bethesda gives characters interresting and unique phrases and comments. With a 16 sq Mile map, Hundreds upon Hundreds of side quests, a Fun and intence storyline, Great DLC, Huge cities, Beautiful Environments, Diverse and Rewarding Areas ( Dungeons, caves, Keeps, Ruins, and Oblivion gates), and Tons of fun activities to do (arena, Make spells, enchant, and make potions). This game has everything a RPG play wants. Oblivion dishes out hundreds of hours of gameplay and Is one of those games you play when you're bored of everything else. THIS GAME IS Probably if not the best RPG out there. And yes i have played Morrowind ( lots of time on it ) and dozen of other RPGs and MMOs This the best your going to find out there. btw Looking forward to Skyrim ( hope its not a disappointment like Fallout New Vegas was(Fallout 3 is sooooooo much better)). Expand
  47. Sep 9, 2011
    Oblivion is an open world RPG that is great in immersing the player in a fantasy world. The games great elements is allowing a player to build a character the way they want, rather then the way the developers want. The environment is beautiful. There are a few drawbacks. Combat is simplistic, some of the animations (such as jumping) are horrid looking and the ragdoll effects do tend toOblivion is an open world RPG that is great in immersing the player in a fantasy world. The games great elements is allowing a player to build a character the way they want, rather then the way the developers want. The environment is beautiful. There are a few drawbacks. Combat is simplistic, some of the animations (such as jumping) are horrid looking and the ragdoll effects do tend to somewhat break the immersion sometimes.

However, its in depth storyline and lore can only be competed with by its predecessor, Morrowind. Although possibly accurate in calling it a dumbed down version, Oblivion still carries a lot of elements that many other RPG titles miss.
  48. Sep 25, 2011
    Okay, I will rate this in two portions. First will be the game in its out of the box, vanilla state. The second will be with the addition of mods. Overall I give the game a solid 7 for vanilla and a 9 for mods, so we can call it even at 8.

1. Vanilla oblivion is great. When the game first came out it was the first next gen game of its kind. That is a huge reason it had so much hype. How mnany other games offered that detailed and that gorgeous of a gameworld? Now in comparison to Morrowind, the quests sucked. Morrowind actually took a real long time to complete even if you did only main quest and hauled ass. Oblivion's main quest is just kinda....done. I finished the game and was astonished how little time it required. Realistaqcally...you can probably beat the main quest in 1-2 days if you know what your doing. Side quests- Oblivion did have some interesting and funny side quests at times but I kinda missed the running down a road in the middle of nowhere and some guy offers me 50 bucks to deliver some shirts from morrowind. Oblivion to me was more of a showcase than an actual Elder Scrolls. Also you need to keep in mind tech limits in 2006 they wanted this onto one disc... the game is several gigs. and ppl always btich about how morrowind was so massive....Guys...Morrowind GOTY takes up 924MB on my HD, that aint alot, thats less than a damn movie. Anyways. The biggerst dissappointment in Oblvion for me was the leveled creature system. At levels 1-7/8 you fight nothing but imps, wolves and the occasional bandit. In morrowind, god help you if you went somewhere at level 1-10 or 10-20 so on that you weasnt supposed to be. Every region in Morrowind had its own creatures of varying strengths. So if you went to Molag Amur at lvl 1 you got ate.

2. Alright. Mods... As always TES has an amazing mod community and like all the previous games you can mod anything...and I mean ANYthing. I wont go into detail but go to tesnexus or planetelderscrolls. they have thousounds upon thousands of mods.
  49. Sep 8, 2011
    Now to review Oblivion I feel the need to try and ignore a comparison to Morrowind, so I'll view it as such. The game is a great open world experience. I've enjoyed countless hours exploring the fantastic looking forests and caves and fighting whatever fancies a fight. The combat is fun, although some enemies are far harder to kill at certain levels than others and offer no better reward.Now to review Oblivion I feel the need to try and ignore a comparison to Morrowind, so I'll view it as such. The game is a great open world experience. I've enjoyed countless hours exploring the fantastic looking forests and caves and fighting whatever fancies a fight. The combat is fun, although some enemies are far harder to kill at certain levels than others and offer no better reward. And questing is relatively interesting, although nothing groundbreaking. The concept for the leveling system is nice, it being - if you do something enough, you get better at it - which gives a great feeling of worth over just killing monsters to level anything you want. The AI is pretty linear, you can force them to make errors and then capitalise on that, allowing you to win a one on one with a juggernaut enemy without a scratch on you. Once you reach high enough skills in speed and strength or agility, you're pretty much a demi-god. The voice acting is rather limited which takes away immersion in the world, but if you can look past that you can enjoy a lot of gameplay out of Oblivion. If you want more of an authentic feeling fantasy story RPG epic I'd prefer Dragon Age Origins. But if you like the idea of an open fantasy world to just explore and do what you want, then this is perfect. Expand
  50. Sep 18, 2011
    Most engaging game I've ever played. The world is immense and the things to do seem unlimited. I've gotten a lot of playability out of this game. A truly good game for me is one where I can beat it in a different way than my friends will. I love the customization and oblivion has plenty.
  51. Sep 24, 2011
    This game really deserves no less than a 10 and is, for sure, in my top favorites. Which is saying a lot because I don't really like "fantasy" dragons and such, type games. My friends made me play it since I was such a fallout 3 fan (which is also on my top favs, maybe even number 1) and I insisted that I wouldn't like it since it was so fantasyish, but the depth of the game... I don'tThis game really deserves no less than a 10 and is, for sure, in my top favorites. Which is saying a lot because I don't really like "fantasy" dragons and such, type games. My friends made me play it since I was such a fallout 3 fan (which is also on my top favs, maybe even number 1) and I insisted that I wouldn't like it since it was so fantasyish, but the depth of the game... I don't think I ever even finished the main quest line since I've always kept myself busy with hours upon hours of side things to do, and exploring in this vast map, and the character progression is great, I love the stat system. you use something it levels, and then you combine that with the base stat system that you can put stats in as you level. Amazing system, works kind of like how Congress and House is Supposed to, haha. Expand
  52. Dec 30, 2011
    Amazing. Modding is amazing. Story and game play is amazing. I have spent hundreds of hours in this game. The biggest drawbacks are the lack of voices in the game, as there are too few voice actors, but overall this is one of the best games you can buy.
  53. Jul 25, 2012
    Having now seen what Morrowind was like, I think I'm ready to finalise my score for Oblivion. Let's get the worst parts of Oblivion out of the way first. Compared to both Morrowind and Skyrim; Oblivion feels much more generic and lacking in any distinct theme. I'd say this is because those games both had distinctive cultural themes; being incredibly surreal and Viking-like respectively.Having now seen what Morrowind was like, I think I'm ready to finalise my score for Oblivion. Let's get the worst parts of Oblivion out of the way first. Compared to both Morrowind and Skyrim; Oblivion feels much more generic and lacking in any distinct theme. I'd say this is because those games both had distinctive cultural themes; being incredibly surreal and Viking-like respectively. The quests themselves still have an interesting variety to them, from simple fetch-this quests to more complex place-to-place quests which I think Bethesda should starts focusing on more rather than pad out games with grind missions. The graphics are adequate, but the environments lack any real distinction from one another and characters have a strange uncanny valley look to them during conversation. Voice acting is also uneven, but Bethesda should no longer lose points for that. The combat would indeed be accurate of real-life swordplay if the combatants both fought by slapping each other with pieces of cardboard. Anyway, enough negatively, let's talk positive. As I said, the quests have a nice variety to them and the main story is alright, if uneven. The environments are nicely designed and the scoring is typically excellent. Of course, above all else remains that sense of true, organic open-ended game-play that Bethesda is renowned for. As a whole though, Oblivion is still an excellent game that is let down by a lack of identity among other Beth games. By the way Bethesda, you don't need to pad out the game with radiant quests, you should focus more on making more of though long-winding quests like they had in Morrowind. Skyrim was a step in the right direction, but man up Bethesda! You have nothing to lose if you make another game as unique as Morrowind! Expand
  54. Oct 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As soon as you spawn in the first dungeon in Oblivion, you are instantly plunged into a highly detailed world of Bandits, Ogres, Daedra, and 150 other baddies as well as 800 NPC's that roam the world. Each character is like a tiny mystery, waiting to be solved. As well as the Main Quest, there are at least 500 other completely optional side quests that you will pick up on your journey. Although it has 20 something glitches, and third person mode is a glitchy flop, it is a most wonderful game that deserves a 10. Expand
  55. Nov 3, 2013
    Sadly, while bethesda sorted out the control system and and voice acting for this installment of the elder scrolls, they removed the heart and character from it. It's still a good game with a lot of content but compared to other installments this is the ugly step-child.
  56. Nov 8, 2011
    Great game, it is rpg and is more or less a decide your own path kind of game, only a few things i didn't like about it which didn't make me give a 10/10 is: It is a bit unrealistic how fast you level up in things and how when your sword is almost broken it looks perfectly fine, another is the graphics and graphical problems like how all water looked pink to me.
  57. Oct 18, 2012
    The game is nice to play, but you don't really feel that you have progressed when you level up, because enemies level up as well. Loot and rewards are leveled as well, so you may have to wait till you're at a greater level before starting some quests in order to better equipment. The leveling system ruins this otherwise beautiful game.
  58. Aug 17, 2013
    This game always loomed around the video store unnoticed, until I picked it up one day by chance. I never looked back since then, it is one of my all time favorites, and I will always treasure the memories and experiences this game gave me. Absolute 10/10.
  59. Jan 11, 2012
    This game is a revolution to the RPG community, yeah it had some glitches an bugs but most of those were funny and didnt stop you from playing. This game took 500+ hours away from my life because I love this game, it immerses you and makes you feel like your in your characters shoes, yes oblivion was dumbed down a bit from morrowind but morrowind doesnt grasp you the same way, the uniqeThis game is a revolution to the RPG community, yeah it had some glitches an bugs but most of those were funny and didnt stop you from playing. This game took 500+ hours away from my life because I love this game, it immerses you and makes you feel like your in your characters shoes, yes oblivion was dumbed down a bit from morrowind but morrowind doesnt grasp you the same way, the uniqe land design and just the way the world has such history it is great. I thought I was done playing this game after 500+ hours, but I found myself going back to it today, I bought it again for PC and I started a new account and I still haven't lost the lore that this game provided me the day I discovered it, and yes I still remember my first time playing it was AMAZING. This game is an oldy but a goody if you haven't tried it I would recommend you give it a shot its worth throwing 25 bucks out on steam for all the expansions because this game will keep you sated for months to come, now back to Cyrodiil! Expand
  60. Nov 20, 2011
    Oblivion is game like no game in its genre.. The story has complexity and yet is displayed in an understanding theatrical way. With monstrosity of number of things to do or kill, it appears almost infinite. The design of upgrading your character with so many options is thrilling. Most of glitch hiccups are completely gone, which is sigh of relief from the launch problems.. The graphicOblivion is game like no game in its genre.. The story has complexity and yet is displayed in an understanding theatrical way. With monstrosity of number of things to do or kill, it appears almost infinite. The design of upgrading your character with so many options is thrilling. Most of glitch hiccups are completely gone, which is sigh of relief from the launch problems.. The graphic engine seems to be slightly improved, than its launched texture look. Yet even with so many things to do, their are some more utterly boring quests and repetitive dungeons or caves. More creativity is needed with the cave system. Some weird instances of a tiresome traveling, "Do I continue to trot on this slow horse or is walking faster", "What do I do here, do I go there, wait no its back there". A simple system of helping you more, can sometimes be relief to some amateur gamer's. Though I find completely fine, I like a challenge, of a hide and seek sort of thing. Some gamer's do feel different, with a game this huge. There are many instances to get lost in multiple quest, that take literally days till you get back to your main one. For the criticism of a this game, it is really minor thread. Awesome presentation, improved graphics, less hiccups, mid-creativity yet very beautiful. Oblivion gets 8.75 out 10........ Expand
  61. Nov 21, 2011
    The world of Oblivion is a seemingly live one. Mountains, caves, and a copious amount of missions would keep anyone busy for hours on end. The sheer beauty of this game is sometimes overshadowed by repetitive voice acting and boring level design; there is no denying the brilliance that comes from looking at the night sky while Jeremy Soule's soundtrack plays in your headphones.
  62. Nov 23, 2011
    I am serious gamer, and for me to have spent 7200+ hours on one game, it must mean that this game is completely perfect. The voice acting is spot on, with all 12 voice actors for the entire game performing perfectly. The animations like combat, speaking and running are all so lifleike, it felt like i was actually in the world of Cyrodill. I recommend this game for casual gamers, seriousI am serious gamer, and for me to have spent 7200+ hours on one game, it must mean that this game is completely perfect. The voice acting is spot on, with all 12 voice actors for the entire game performing perfectly. The animations like combat, speaking and running are all so lifleike, it felt like i was actually in the world of Cyrodill. I recommend this game for casual gamers, serious gamers, posers, people posing to be a poser, kids and beginners, 10/10 Expand
  63. Nov 30, 2011
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is what an RPG should be - compelling story plot, tons of side quest and a large open world to explore. The automatic leveling system leaves something to be desired. But then again, the more you use certain skills, the better you should get at those skills. The graphics leave something to be desired, but eye candy does not make a game great.
  64. Dec 9, 2011
    A FREEEEKEN AWESOME GAME! I still play it now and it still brings fun...................................................................................................................................................................................................
  65. Dec 15, 2011
    This is a rare and remarkable achievement--a huge, open-ended, complex, detailed role-playing game that's fun to play and a pleasure to behold. Oblivion not only delivers everything that earned the Elder Scrolls series the devoted loyalty of a huge following of fans, but also significantly improves on the weaknesses of its 2002 predecessor, Morrowind. Morrowind earned recognition for beingThis is a rare and remarkable achievement--a huge, open-ended, complex, detailed role-playing game that's fun to play and a pleasure to behold. Oblivion not only delivers everything that earned the Elder Scrolls series the devoted loyalty of a huge following of fans, but also significantly improves on the weaknesses of its 2002 predecessor, Morrowind. Morrowind earned recognition for being one of the best role-playing games in years, but the immersive and long-lasting experience it provided wasn't for everyone. Oblivion is hands-down better, so much so that even those who'd normally have no interest in a role-playing game should find it hard to resist getting swept up in this big, beautiful, meticulously crafted world. Collapse
  66. Dec 21, 2011
    Today (2011) this is essentially a lesser version of Skyrim, altough the story of certain questlines are much more interesting and far longer in terms of content. When it came 2006 is was a huge step from Morrowind, and while Oblivion has a lot of content, as with any bethesda game, the general gameplay (combat) is quite dull.
  67. Dec 21, 2011
    This was my first Elder Scrolls game and when i first played i was totally amazed by the freedom the game gives you... the modding support if still strong which brings lots of replayability value.
  68. Jan 14, 2012
    This game is more open then the usual games out there, and does a great job. It's not perfect, but was worth playing casually. It's not that visually striking for the kids with disorders and can be boring at times, but the experience is unique.
  69. Jan 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loved the game. Simple as that. Although Skyrim is better, as it should be, Oblivion was an awesome game. I loved the environment and meeting the people in it. I especially loved the quests in the game as it was fun to be the Grand Champion of the Arena, the Gray Fox of the Thieves Guild, Master of the Fighter's Guild, Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild, and the Listener of the Dark Brotherhood. I also loved the expansive DLCs like Shivering Isles and the Knights of the Nine. Of all the characters in the game, I just LOVED Sheogorath's personality. It made my day everytime I saw him, especially when he was included in Skyrim. The Knights of the Nine was boring at first collecting all the gear. But the sky battle with Umaril was completely epic! So overall, I loved the game and I hope to see the series continued on for years. Expand
  70. Feb 10, 2012
    This game is one of the best RPG games I have ever played. Although it's age may seem a bit of a put down, don't let it turn you away from one of the best games on steam. At a average price of $25 you can get your hands on the original game plus all of the DLC including, The Shivering Isles. With hundreds of hours of entertaining gameplay you can go anywhere, do almost anything, and evenThis game is one of the best RPG games I have ever played. Although it's age may seem a bit of a put down, don't let it turn you away from one of the best games on steam. At a average price of $25 you can get your hands on the original game plus all of the DLC including, The Shivering Isles. With hundreds of hours of entertaining gameplay you can go anywhere, do almost anything, and even get the advantage of using the console to use some hacks. I don't recommend this unless you are just doing it for fun, as it takes away from the rich story line. Even if you don't do the main story line, you can still level up fairly often and have fun doing fun side quests. You could join the Dark Brotherhood, join a fighter's or mage's guild or just explore this vast land that Bethesda has made for us to enjoy. Every game has a downside though although this one doesn't have many. There aren't many glitches, but sometimes the NPCs will have a strange reaction to something you do, and say something that isn't even relevant or the music might awkwardly change to a fight song. These are very excusable and don't take too much from the game. Another pet peve of mine is the zoom on the face. When you engage in a conversation, the camera zooms in just so you can see the person's face, none of the surronding items which I don't like. Overall, this game should get a 99/100. That one point is from the face zoom. Other than that, this game could easily compete with Skyrim or any other popular RPG game. Buy this game today and enjoy it. NOTE: The only reason this game is rated M for mature is because of some user-made mods. This game should be rated T for teen in my opinion. : ) Expand
  71. Sep 9, 2012
    Amazing game. The plot is nice, nothing we didn't see before, but the freedom of gameplay is something inredible. Your actions really matter and the consequences of yours actions cannot go away. A failed quest iss a failed quest and got its repercussions. Somethings you just can't do, because of class limits. Graphics are outdated, but still very beautiful, and they can be upgraded withAmazing game. The plot is nice, nothing we didn't see before, but the freedom of gameplay is something inredible. Your actions really matter and the consequences of yours actions cannot go away. A failed quest iss a failed quest and got its repercussions. Somethings you just can't do, because of class limits. Graphics are outdated, but still very beautiful, and they can be upgraded with mods. Talking about mods, find some you like from the tons available and that will make you play it for an entire year without repetition. Good deal indeed. Expand
  72. Jul 8, 2014
    Vanilla Oblivion is nothing outstanding on its own with its poor leveling system and overly saturated visuals. Installing mods makes Oblivion a much better experience overall though. You can then experience the game's interesting questlines without having to run into the aforementioned issues.
  73. Mar 6, 2012
    Oblivion was my first TES game, so I enjoyed it greatly. But it DOES have very many flaws... But if you enjoy RPGs and haven't played Oblivion, you definitely need to give it a go.

It's better than Skyrim (AKA Babys first RPG)
  74. Mar 20, 2012
    The story in this game is good, but presented in a boring way where you see everything from one perspective. I've never been a fan of this kind of storytelling, but then again it's not why I play Bethesda games. It is the giant open world packed with quests that draw me in. The skills are nicely done, but some are unnecessary and the leveling system don't work properly. Combat is ok, butThe story in this game is good, but presented in a boring way where you see everything from one perspective. I've never been a fan of this kind of storytelling, but then again it's not why I play Bethesda games. It is the giant open world packed with quests that draw me in. The skills are nicely done, but some are unnecessary and the leveling system don't work properly. Combat is ok, but when you take all things in consideration Oblivion is a very good game. Small problems like the combat and leveling system is overshadowed by the size of the world and all the stuff you can do within the game! Expand
  75. Jul 30, 2012
    this was best game i loved xbox version ps3 version & pc version i love this game so much no glitches no nothing perfect only thing is if they re did this game i hope they make it with compatible with xbox controller
  76. Oct 30, 2013
    Loved it.
    Tons to do. Lots of side quests of all shapes and sizes.
    Good main story, and climatic ending that has an epic look and feel to it. Virtually a total open world. So much to do, especially for the Easily 100+ hours of playtime. You can even finish the main quest first and still have 2/3 of the game left to play. And the Shimmering Isle questline/expansion really feels like
    Loved it.
    Tons to do. Lots of side quests of all shapes and sizes.
    Good main story, and climatic ending that has an epic look and feel to it.
    And the Shimmering Isle questline/expansion really feels like another game in itself. Since it comes with the gamer on Steam it is another reason to buy, especially when it's on sale.
    Easy to start/stop for casual gamers too.

*There was the occasional graphical bug glitch, and one of my weapons copied itself twice.
  77. May 18, 2012
    I'm really too lazy to explain the reason i rate it 10/10 but it's well worth, the fact that you can do almost anything is already enough, all the negative emotions i got only from characters visualisation the faces were really ugly but hell, there's like thousands of mods for that. Good job!
  78. May 19, 2012
    This was my first Elder Scrolls game and it did not disappoint for one reason: it had a massive library of mods. I can think of no other game that compares to the scale of modding scene of Oblivion. Even other Beth games pale in the face of it. Vanilla Oblivion however has more than its fair share of bugs and flaws. Repetitive gameplay, an inventory system inferior to its predecessorThis was my first Elder Scrolls game and it did not disappoint for one reason: it had a massive library of mods. I can think of no other game that compares to the scale of modding scene of Oblivion. Even other Beth games pale in the face of it. Vanilla Oblivion however has more than its fair share of bugs and flaws. Repetitive gameplay, an inventory system inferior to its predecessor and horrible voice acting bring this game down. Despite this, the various storylines, in game lore and in game customization warrants at least an 8/10. Modded Oblivion however is a solid ten if not eleven out of ten. I have seen no other game that is better than a personalized Oblivion. Expand
  79. May 24, 2014
    Really awesome,unique RPG game with interesting stories and quests.
    It has great story,graphics,this game can kep you entertained for many many hours.
    And of course,the Expansions,and the moddability launches the game in the sky!
  80. Jul 9, 2012
    My personal favourite... The best game I've ever played and I still play... Amazing felling and great gameplay despite the few bugs and glitches in it. After having played more than 100 houres of the game I still have things to do... A great advantage is also the MODING community which adds new cool stuf even now!! Simply AMAZING!!
  81. Jul 13, 2012
    This is the best game I have EVER played. It has hours upon hours of game play and an enriching story. There is so many side quests that you will probably not even play them all. You will find yourself always wanting to replay it and find more quests. The amount of weapons, quests, stories, lore, and good times to had to be on Oblivion. Buy it, it is the best game ever.
  82. Aug 16, 2012
    I have never played a game that I didn't finish but enjoyed soo much. I played over 200 hours with the different modules and only quit because my computer died. Thank goodness it died because I fear that I would still be playing. The world was so vast, so easy to enter and so easy to loose all my free time. I loved every minute.
  83. Oct 23, 2014
    I am giving Oblivion and 8, Skyrim a 9.5 and Morrowind a 10. Personally, I still feel that although Oblivion was a great game, it was a step back for the series. The level-scaling enemies, bland dungeons and procedurally-generated loot were awful. But fortunately, the soundtrack was time-stoppingly awesome, the combat was improved and the land was a sight to see. I modded my game to theI am giving Oblivion and 8, Skyrim a 9.5 and Morrowind a 10. Personally, I still feel that although Oblivion was a great game, it was a step back for the series. The level-scaling enemies, bland dungeons and procedurally-generated loot were awful. But fortunately, the soundtrack was time-stoppingly awesome, the combat was improved and the land was a sight to see. I modded my game to the high-heavens and for me, that was what made my experience so much better as it added so many things that I felt, the game lacked. Praise the modders! I hope Bethesda will not forget its lessons moving forward to Elder Scrolls VI. Expand
  84. Oct 9, 2013
    This is my favourite game of all time, it covers all aspects a game should. The combat, world design, level design, character design, controls, and soundtrack all work together to make what in my opinion is a flawless game. For those who hate on Oblivion, because they are veterans of the series and prefer Morrowind or because they joined the bandwagon when Skyrim came out, at least give itThis is my favourite game of all time, it covers all aspects a game should. The combat, world design, level design, character design, controls, and soundtrack all work together to make what in my opinion is a flawless game. For those who hate on Oblivion, because they are veterans of the series and prefer Morrowind or because they joined the bandwagon when Skyrim came out, at least give it a try. Fantastic game Expand
  85. Sep 2, 2012
    Even though i am a huge fan of all rpgs and especially the elder scrolls, oblivion is the game that stands out for me. The gameplay is amazing with hundreds of different game styles to adopt which make the game a completely different experience. Some people might like to snipe their targets from afar, some might like to hack their way through the game while you can even be a powerful mageEven though i am a huge fan of all rpgs and especially the elder scrolls, oblivion is the game that stands out for me. The gameplay is amazing with hundreds of different game styles to adopt which make the game a completely different experience. Some people might like to snipe their targets from afar, some might like to hack their way through the game while you can even be a powerful mage and summon ferocious monsters to do the work for you! The map is gigantic and very detailed and when you first enter the game you feel lost in its vastness. Furthermore, there are hundreds of quests that you can do besides the main quest which will earn you large amounts of gold and hidden treasures which will in their turn aid you in your travels. The dialogues are very nice, the graphics very good considering the immersity of the environment the lack of frame drops even in average computers. The music will stick in your ears for days and you will generally find the game to be very entertaining. Personally, even after having spents hundreds of hours on skyrim, i still prefer this game to it, since it has an epic feel to it and it's one of few fantasy games which really create a believable world! It's an even better experience if you enjoy the game with expansions and many mods that have improved it in so many ways and taken care of some little bugs and glitches. I URGE you to try it! Expand
  86. Sep 2, 2012
    I remember when I played this game when it first came out on pc, on a new system I had just built. This game at that time blew my mind. This was the first "open world" game I played, and the sheer magnitude was astonishing. The graphics and gameplay opened a whole new world for me. It does take some time to get going, but once you are moving you can't stop. The world map is huge and theirI remember when I played this game when it first came out on pc, on a new system I had just built. This game at that time blew my mind. This was the first "open world" game I played, and the sheer magnitude was astonishing. The graphics and gameplay opened a whole new world for me. It does take some time to get going, but once you are moving you can't stop. The world map is huge and their are TONS of locations. I do believe some of the cities and dungeons can be a bit repetitive and the fighting mechanics aren't the best, but for its time this was a truly great open world. I would like to see a bigger variety of armor and weapons, but there's still a lot here. It was also cool going through portals to oblivion to fight off evil, and this was just one piece to a giant puzzle. Overall I think the game could have been perfected, a lot of mods out now are interesting and worth trying, but it is still an very good adventure! Expand
  87. Mar 21, 2014
    This game is still better quality than some of the games that are produced and released today, although Skyrim was an amazing game I still had way more fun in Oblivion than Skyrim. Although the AI in this game was a bit buggy and sometimes quests bugged out it is so much fun that it is easy to overlook these things. The two bad things about this game is that it's so addictive that you canThis game is still better quality than some of the games that are produced and released today, although Skyrim was an amazing game I still had way more fun in Oblivion than Skyrim. Although the AI in this game was a bit buggy and sometimes quests bugged out it is so much fun that it is easy to overlook these things. The two bad things about this game is that it's so addictive that you can get lost in it for too long and horse armour DLC. Expand
  88. Jul 12, 2014
    Oblivion is mine most favorite TES game (morrowind is really close here) and one of mine most favorite games. This game got awesome world, great RPG system (improved morrowind system, witch is better than system in Skyrim in mine opinion (yes perks were good idea, but the removal of stats was not)). The biggest + this game has are the quests, Dark brotherhood and main quest line areOblivion is mine most favorite TES game (morrowind is really close here) and one of mine most favorite games. This game got awesome world, great RPG system (improved morrowind system, witch is better than system in Skyrim in mine opinion (yes perks were good idea, but the removal of stats was not)). The biggest + this game has are the quests, Dark brotherhood and main quest line are really fun to play and even other factions are solid. The side quests are awesome as well. The only bad think is enemy leveling system, but it can be moded.
    PS:
    I really recommend to mod this game hard, Oblivion got very good mods and it can became a game for a long play.
  89. Sep 11, 2012
    This İs Not a Game.This İs Another World.
  90. Oct 5, 2012
    The advantage of Oblivion over Skyrim is that game takes itself less seriously and has a MUCH better character devlopment system. Strangely enough, the best way to build the character is to place all the most useless skills as your major talents and then deliberately level up as slowly as possible. By doing so you character gains powers acoss all skill areas, and will not be troubled withThe advantage of Oblivion over Skyrim is that game takes itself less seriously and has a MUCH better character devlopment system. Strangely enough, the best way to build the character is to place all the most useless skills as your major talents and then deliberately level up as slowly as possible. By doing so you character gains powers acoss all skill areas, and will not be troubled with difficulty spikes at all. Rather you will need to bump up the game difficulty as you progress to a demi-god mastering all skill areas. Except for superficial graphics, EVERYTHING in Oblivion is better and more fun than Skyrim. Especially the guild quests, but also such things as the NPC's despite the ridculous encounter interface and the use of only 5 voice actors. Yet the core reason it is MUCH better, is that the player can build their character as they like and can master all fields with no penalty. Crafting and magic in this game is far more potent, interesting and worthwhile than in Skyrim. The Elven Ruins have a far better mood than the Dwarven ones. When you consider how perfect the keybingings and the UI are in this game to how poor they are in Skyrim its clear that it is Oblivion, not Morrowind that marks the highpoint of Bethesda fantasy RPG design. Before they start anything else the team owes it to their fans to spend 12 months making a massive patch to bring all that fails so bad in Skyrim back up to the level they had yet lost with Oblivion. Expand
  91. Oct 6, 2012
    TES IV Oblivion is one of the best game that i played ever. This game should be on the same shelf with Mass Effect, Fallout 2, Max Payne and Vice City.
  92. Oct 26, 2013
    I love the setting of this game. You can be a vampire and enter people's homes and feast on their flesh. You also have to choose whether to be a vampire or not and if you do there are both advantages and disadvantages, like being stronger at night but weaker during the day. That is awesome. There is also a bunch else that's cool with the setting, like assassinating people and fiery worldsI love the setting of this game. You can be a vampire and enter people's homes and feast on their flesh. You also have to choose whether to be a vampire or not and if you do there are both advantages and disadvantages, like being stronger at night but weaker during the day. That is awesome. There is also a bunch else that's cool with the setting, like assassinating people and fiery worlds with goblins and stuff. It's really neat in that sense.

The combat in this game is just lame. There is no combat. I would rather play a shooter, or Bioshock, or anything. Maybe I'm just a complainer, and yes I do tend to lean towards strategy anyways, but the combat is too much click too little think for me, but that's just my take on it.
  93. Oct 11, 2013
    This game is simply amazing in many aspects. Amazing scenery, great graphics, excellent gameplay, one of the best stories in games, the list goes on and on. This is a very different experience than it is on console. I actually recommend this version over the console version because of two things: mods and better graphics. The only thing holding this back from being a perfect title is theThis game is simply amazing in many aspects. Amazing scenery, great graphics, excellent gameplay, one of the best stories in games, the list goes on and on. This is a very different experience than it is on console. I actually recommend this version over the console version because of two things: mods and better graphics. The only thing holding this back from being a perfect title is the insanely annoying UI in the inventory screen. Expand
  94. Dec 17, 2012
    The game is action packed, has an amazing storyline with more than enough different paths you can pick to walk, all by yourself. Oblivion has has been pulled down by many because the environment levels as you level, as in the monsters in the world become stronger as you do. I can't say that shouldn't have been different, but it didn't pull the game rating down for me, because it did notThe game is action packed, has an amazing storyline with more than enough different paths you can pick to walk, all by yourself. Oblivion has has been pulled down by many because the environment levels as you level, as in the monsters in the world become stronger as you do. I can't say that shouldn't have been different, but it didn't pull the game rating down for me, because it did not decrease the ammount of fun I had with the game. For its' time, Oblivion ruled the gaming world. Expand
  95. Feb 2, 2013
    An amazing game, fun to play, could spend 100+ hours in it and still be playing. It's even better if you bought it for PC, as there are tons of community mods for it, adding loads of new content, bug fixes, and more!
  96. Jan 26, 2013
    TES IV: Oblivion opened the door of a new kind of RPG playing, it's visuals and it's gameplay are wonderful but still, and as many Bethesda games, t's a bit buggy. Even though, I believe this is one of the best games Bethesda ever made.
  97. Aug 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think it's time for me to give this game the 10 that it deserves. Although I did not like the main quest (such a chore imo) which I did only to get rid of the extremely annoying oblivion gates, I still thought that the main characters (Baurus, Jauffre, and Martin) were somewhat lovable. When every one of them died at the end, Cloud Ruler Temple died. More bad: the wolves will chase you forever, which is annoying as well. HOWEVER, those are pretty much the only bad things about the game, other than it crashes whenever I exit. The world is so amazing. I love every single village, town, and city. The map is incredibly easy to memorize. The soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks in games because you'll find that whenever an enemy sees you, the intense music plays and you'll want the peaceful music back again. The leveling system isn't very good compared to Skyrim's, but it will do. There are so many adventures to be had, like being kidnapped while sleeping and find yourself in the middle of the ocean on a boat, or you see a soldier charging into a fort and follow him, to find yourself in the midst of a bandit bust. There are so many locations, not to mention many more added by mods. Nexus Mods have anything from graphics mods to being a pirate. And Deserts of Anequina brings Elsweyr to Oblivion. Get this game! Why not, it's not like its $60 anymore. Expand
  98. Mar 22, 2013
    I loved Oblivion, not as long and dragging as Morrowind and not as short and simple as Skyrim, love the plot, characters are so interesting, combats fun. I loved it, still like it I suppose. There are many quests and very few of them are like the errand running quests thrown at you in Morrowind and Skyrim. While I admit the scenery is a bit boring and same-old same-old its still moreI loved Oblivion, not as long and dragging as Morrowind and not as short and simple as Skyrim, love the plot, characters are so interesting, combats fun. I loved it, still like it I suppose. There are many quests and very few of them are like the errand running quests thrown at you in Morrowind and Skyrim. While I admit the scenery is a bit boring and same-old same-old its still more attractive and there is a variety of areas to explore. While Morrowind is better at depth I found it a bit too much, Oblivion has just the right amount for it to feel like a game, not a story.

Character creations funny, you could make your nose MASSIVE and have long turquoise hair. Combat is entertaining and deaths can be made funny when you drag bodies around and make them spaz out. Leveling was OK, don't know if I like it as much as Skyrim's but its cool. Side quests are great and fun, especially Shivering Isles, I like the arena and I like all the guilds you can join and they really make the game interesting. Mods REALLY open up the game to be even more fun. I'd strongly recommend it.
  99. Mar 30, 2013
    If you haven't played this game before, please don't let the negative reviews prevent you from trying it. Many of them are from whiny Morrowind fanboys that have nostalgia goggles glued to their face, whether they admit it or not. I know this because I first played Morrowind before I played Oblivion and then Skyrim. For starters, the AI is a vast improvement in Oblivion. You won't see soIf you haven't played this game before, please don't let the negative reviews prevent you from trying it. Many of them are from whiny Morrowind fanboys that have nostalgia goggles glued to their face, whether they admit it or not. I know this because I first played Morrowind before I played Oblivion and then Skyrim. For starters, the AI is a vast improvement in Oblivion. You won't see so many NPCs that are just robots that have nothing better to do than stand in their shop or wander around town all day and night. You won't see so many enemies getting stuck on objects or jogging in place. The combat system is HUGE, and I mean HUGE improvement over Morrowind. The world is a million times more fun to explore. You're no longer limited to "Wooden door in side of mountain, Copy and Pasted Dwarven ruin, and occasional Daedric ruin." There are the usual caves and tombs, but they're more varied and the Dwarven Ruins have been replaced with Ayleid ones, and you'll find more daedric lord quests to get unique artifacts, for a refreshing change of pace. And in place of Daedric ruins, you'll now find abandoned military forts that have since been reclaimed by bandits. Plus you'll be finding more bandit camps that are just out in the wilderness. I myself found the world of Morrowind to be dull and lifeless. I'm sorry, but huge mushrooms and crazy looking animals do not cut it for me. The environment in Oblivion feels so much more alive! You'll find deer, wolves, and other such animals you would expect to be wandering the wilderness that will interact with each other; instead of just a billion Nix Hounds and Cliff Racers that stand around much like the NPCs. The graphics are a given, and I won't go into that too much. The physics have been greatly improved, the NPCs have more personality. When you meet someone, there's a better chance they're not "Fargoth, Commoner" as you would so commonly find in Morrowind. When you go into a Tavern, it feels like a Tavern. You can even sit down in a chair and roleplay a bit, unlike Morrowind where you simply go to sell some junk while the NPCs stand there lifelessly. I compare Oblivion to Morrowind because I know most of the bad reviews come from the fanboys that are completely blind to the HUGE improvements that were made in Oblivion. Trust me, as a fair reviewer who tries to be objective about the series (I rate Oblivion the highest, Morrowind second, and Skyrim third), I would recommend this game to anyone who likes RPGs. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the fun new quest types they have available. Like the Dark Brotherhood, where you can act as a hitman and sneakily assassinate your targets. Or the Thieves Guild quest, which now seem to actually require you to be a sneak thief. Unlike in Morrowind, where you could essentially be a good thief with nothing but a good lockpick skill. Walk past extremely dumb NPC, close door, pick lock on chest, take item, report back to quest giver. Just another case where Oblivion is far superior to Morrowind, I think. Oh, and then there's the new Arena quest, where you can fight kind of like a gladiator against numerous opponents in a Colosseum-esque arena. Now, to be fair, there are some flaws. At higher levels, you'll find many bandits who spawn with expensive armor, which kind of makes them seem less like bandits. They added a quest marker system, which some people feel is a terrible change from Morrowind. Instead of having to follow directions from someone, you'll have a quest marker telling you where to go. This is debatable if this is even a flaw though. The map is much larger and not nearly as easy to memorize as Morrowind, who's map seemed to consist mostly of easy to remember paths and easy to find locations. So this is a flaw for some, a positive for others, or just a "who cares" thing (that's how I feel about it). There's less weapon types, which hardly feel like a difference in most cases. Sorry Morrowind fans, but I never felt the need to use all the different random short blades and throwing knives they had in there. Though some weapons were left out that definitely should have been included, like spears and crossbows. Though that doesn't mean you'll be lacking in weaponry, you still have quite a few weapon types to select from. There is a shortage of voice actors, which doesn't seem to be a very valid complaint seeing as voice acting in Morrowind seemed almost non-existent. Even if they used two voice actors to voice every character, it would have been a step up. And even though there is a shortage of voice actors, the ones they did use sound great. The whole "Stop! You violated the law!" thing just wouldn't be the same if it weren't for that one Imperial voice saying it. I want to go on, but I'm running out of room to finish this review. All I can say is that this is my favorite Elder Scrolls game, and one of my most favorite video games of all time. Expand
  100. Apr 3, 2013
    The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion has its flaws, but what it does right, dear God, it does SO right. This game is one of a kind, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. A must play.
  101. Dec 15, 2011

1. It’s just so damned big. That’s what you’ll say after playing Oblivion for more than an hour. Or, for that matter, 50 hours.
  2. Oblivion is by far the closest I have come to playing D&D Sunday afternoons with my friends (yes, I did that, though I’m on medication now), all wrapped up in a stunning package with tens of thousands of lines of spoken dialog and good music.
    I honestly have to say that I am in favour of most of the changes and I think Oblivion is an awesome achievement from Bethesda.