8.5

1. Aug 6, 2012
    As far as DLC goes, Shivering Isles is a prime example of DLC done right. It is curious how Bethesda's horse armour was a great example of how NOT to do it, and SI is the opposite. Like with Bloodmoon, the pack offers an entire new island which, in my opinion, surpasses the original game in terms of environment design because everything in Oblivion looked exactly the ruddy same. TheAs far as DLC goes, Shivering Isles is a prime example of DLC done right. It is curious how Bethesda's horse armour was a great example of how NOT to do it, and SI is the opposite. Like with Bloodmoon, the pack offers an entire new island which, in my opinion, surpasses the original game in terms of environment design because everything in Oblivion looked exactly the ruddy same. The dialogue in TES games is never that good, but it seems to fit Oblivion's wacky setting; there is some genuinely funny dialogue and the contrast between the areas in the island are interesting. The quests are just as wacky as the setting and the characters seem more colourful than any other Elder Scroll since Morrowind. Bethesda may not see it, but they always seem to be at their best when they're being wacky: such as Morrowind, the 'Gary' vault in Fallout 3 or the drinking contest in Skyrim. So now that you've read this so called review, email Bethesda now and tell them to make TES VI more like Shivering Isles. Expand
  2. Oct 3, 2010
    A perfect add-on for an already perfect game.I can't rate it 10 because it deserves 10+.It is just so cool the world the enemies the NPC's the weapons everything is changed and is a change for better.And you can play with the character you already have in The elder scrolls 4Oblivion.Sweet.
  3. SeanO.
    Apr 10, 2007
    If only the main game were as detailed and creative as this. A fantastic expansion to an already fantastic game. I'm just a little bummed that they didn't add new music - the original soundtrack is really starting to wear thin.
  4. HaywoodS.
    Mar 28, 2007
    Brilliant writing. Especially Sheogorath. The Main Quest is probably the best-told story that's ever been told in the Elder Scrolls universe. A must-have for all ES fans.
  5. HarmL.
    Mar 29, 2007
    The artwork is very well done and some very creative minds have been working on the conversations. A worthy sequel that adds a lot of fun to the quality of Oblivion.
  6. JamesH.
    Apr 13, 2007
    A worthy addition which makes up for those lame "nickel and dime" quest add-ons. Oblivion and it's various add-ons are really entering a "golden age" now that the latest lot of video cards can run it at max or very high settings, allowing for a true appreciation of the graphics (AMD FX55 8800GTS 2GB RAM runs it completely maxed) Very creative design as far as landscapes, new A worthy addition which makes up for those lame "nickel and dime" quest add-ons. Oblivion and it's various add-ons are really entering a "golden age" now that the latest lot of video cards can run it at max or very high settings, allowing for a true appreciation of the graphics (AMD FX55 8800GTS 2GB RAM runs it completely maxed) Very creative design as far as landscapes, new character models, cities and the quests/gameplay are concerned. I agree with what some have said about the music; some new music could liven up this addition even more. Although the landscapes are excellent (giant mushrooms? felldew addiction? I think some game designers were under the influence while designing this expansion :) ), they are horridly barren and undetailed in some spots. One of my favorite things to do in regular Oblivuion is look from upn high at the vista, the trees, landscape features, but in SI it's very perfunctory and lacking in creative detail whenever you aren't walking along the main path. Nice night skies; entire galaxies are visible. The new monsters and races are probably the best new feature, very creative and almost psychadelic looking oddities in this one. This expansion will not disappoint! Well, except for the fact that the usual run of game flaws persists, such CTDs and improper shut downs. Nevertheless, pick it up and play it with your high-level character for maximum enjoyment! Expand
  7. PeterR.
    Jun 15, 2007
    Shivering Isles brings to Oblivion what I had longed for in the original game yet never find. Rather than being forced to endure gate after gate of virtually identical planes of Mehrunes Dagon's sphere of Oblivion, Shivering Isles is, simply, one gate to the realm of insanity. As far as TES lore is concerned, I thought Shivering Isles could have used a little less lucidity, since it Shivering Isles brings to Oblivion what I had longed for in the original game yet never find. Rather than being forced to endure gate after gate of virtually identical planes of Mehrunes Dagon's sphere of Oblivion, Shivering Isles is, simply, one gate to the realm of insanity. As far as TES lore is concerned, I thought Shivering Isles could have used a little less lucidity, since it IS supposed to be the realm of the Madgod. This aside, however, there is plenty of fun to be had for any player. I was never terribly impressed with Oblivion, at least in comparison to its predecessor, but Shivering Isles breathes life into what had become a rather dull environs of Cyrodiil. The pluralistic world of Sheogorath provides plenty of eye candy and opportunities for exploration, though I would have been happier had there been more than one major city (technically two) instead of a bunch of wooden hovels scattered about. I would rate the expansion's main story as its best feature, in contrast to the miscellaneous quests which are far less interesting. I will avoid spoiling anyone, but suffice it to say, it was very interesting to see some of The Elder Scrolls' most mysterious lore finally be revealed, much in the same way Bloodmoon involved the player in the affairs of a different Daedric prince. My major concerns over the game are the ridiculously bloated graphics (and I thought Oblivion was bad) taxing even the fastest computers, and the reference bug that will, if left unpatched, irreversibly corrupt your saved games after so many hours of play. Do NOT let this happen to you. Expand
  8. Oct 23, 2010
    A good addon, a huge new set of quests added on top of an already epic game. This is a must get if you are a fan of the original game and wanna get back to play it again.
  9. Aug 7, 2011
    In many respects superior to the main Oblivion game (possibly a case of over-familiarity in the case of the latter); Shivering Isles is huge, features excellent writing, fun and varied quests, improved voice-acting and best of all? The locales and environment are highly reminiscent of those in Morrowind - I had severe bouts of nostalgia exploring the settlements and wilderness areas of the island.
  10. SteveP.
    Oct 11, 2008
    Beware, the game secretly installs malware - SecuROM. It is likely to cause problems with your computer and is almost impossible to remove.
  11. SteveK.
    Apr 11, 2007
    I love Elder Scrolls as much as everyone else, I've played over 165 hours, but I think this game is a little over-hyped for me. I'm still giving it an 8, because there is nothing "wrong" with this expansion. More quests, new locale, new gear, all good. But for higher level players, this is NOT 30+ hours of extra game, more like 15, maybe 20 TOPS, even with generous exploration I love Elder Scrolls as much as everyone else, I've played over 165 hours, but I think this game is a little over-hyped for me. I'm still giving it an 8, because there is nothing "wrong" with this expansion. More quests, new locale, new gear, all good. But for higher level players, this is NOT 30+ hours of extra game, more like 15, maybe 20 TOPS, even with generous exploration and doing side quests. My character was level 37 going into it (now 39), so I realize maybe it was a bit on easy mode for me, but still I was expecting it to be a robust 30 hours. I'm grateful to have more ES IV, but I think it is wise to put this game to bed and have an ES V. It's been a great run though, and this is easily the best game on XBOX 360 so far, with some great downloads to keep the experience going. Expand
  12. Jun 24, 2011
    This expansion is amazing, it adds a whole new world to Oblivion that you can travel freely to and from and also has a good storyline. It is very creative and fun to play, it adds new npcs, new quests, a new land, new dungeons and much more, Overall, it was worth every penny.
  13. Mar 4, 2012
    One of the best dlc expansions ever released. While the actual island is not that large in terms of space - (still pretty big) - it's a absolutely beautiful world. And unlike the dialog in oblivion, this game is seriously quirky.
  14. Dec 2, 2012
    Possibly the best and most creative expansion of any game I've ever played. Even better than Skyrim's Dawnguard. Any Elder Scrolls fan that would make the mistake of not playing the Shivering Isles would be the equivalent of losing a limb. The Shivering Isles presents new worlds, zany characters and atmospheres you can't help but get lost in.
  15. Aug 5, 2013
    The best elder scrolls experience since Morrowind, great characters, great story, fun quests; this game is everything Oblivion was AND MORE. 10/10 My favorite expansion of all time.
  16. Jul 12, 2014
    This expansion and Mask of the betrayer for NVN 2 are the best RPG experiences i ever played. Shivering isle are such improvement over any TES expansion, or even any TES game (and i really like oblivion (mine most favorite open world RPG)). The art style is totally awesome, the size of this exp is huge, the story is superb and Sheogorath quotes are really funny. The funny think is thatThis expansion and Mask of the betrayer for NVN 2 are the best RPG experiences i ever played. Shivering isle are such improvement over any TES expansion, or even any TES game (and i really like oblivion (mine most favorite open world RPG)). The art style is totally awesome, the size of this exp is huge, the story is superb and Sheogorath quotes are really funny. The funny think is that oblivion got both best Expansion ever and the worst DLC ever (yeah horse armor). Expand
  17. Nov 10, 2013
    Excellent value for money adds a whole new world to explore completely different to Cyrodiil. The new realm itself is huge and varied with new enemies and interesting quests plus who doesn't like Sheogorath? Shivering Isles really doesnt do anything wrong and is big enough to be a game in itself, definitely worth the time of anyone who enjoyed Oblivion.
  18. Aug 2, 2014
    After seeing lots of praise for Shivering Isles, I must admit i was a bit disappointed, playing it as a part of the GOTY version, I entered this DLC right after about 200 hours of the main Oblivion including Knights of the Nine, being a bit burnt out by that time, finishing all the quests here felt a bit like a chore for me. I appreciate the effort for trying trying something new howeverAfter seeing lots of praise for Shivering Isles, I must admit i was a bit disappointed, playing it as a part of the GOTY version, I entered this DLC right after about 200 hours of the main Oblivion including Knights of the Nine, being a bit burnt out by that time, finishing all the quests here felt a bit like a chore for me. I appreciate the effort for trying trying something new however and the experience is definitely quite memorably and trippy (what else would one expect from the world of Sheogorath the prince of madness), but despite it being quite good I was glad when it was over and it's one of the least favourite DLC's in the TES series. 6/10 Expand
  19. May 5, 2014
    Note: I gave Oblivion (PC) a 9/10

This is the best DLC I have ever played in any game, ever. Literally, this expansion could stand on it's own. The monsters are challenging, the scenery is breathtaking and twisted, and the NPCs are insane and memorable. I loved this DLC more than Oblivion, and it is my favorite game.
    (the rest of the DLCs are garbage though)

It respects a player's ability to make decisions, offers some useful armor sets and weapons, and delivers up a vivid, more imaginative variation on the traditional high fantasy province of Cyrodiil.
  2. Shivering Isles is a bona fide masterpiece and the best that the Elder Scrolls series has to offer.
  3. With expansive lands and quests, the Shivering Isles brings forth a landscape that adds further dimension to the already impressive world of Oblivion. Players can find much sadistic joy in going mad.