8.2

1. Nov 19, 2011
    Great open world goodness with at least 100 hours of gameplay. My only complaints are:
    - Terrible UI. Its a shame to release a game in 2011 with such a **** UI.
    - Bad companion AI. They always get in your way and block the doors, or rush into dozens of enemies and die. You have almost zero control over them.
    - Spiders. I hate them.
  2. Nov 19, 2011
    TES - is a world, which create a ethernal hope in our souls. Soundtrack, gameplay - all of this - perfecetally, devotion thing! All of fans of TES - this is our game.
  3. Nov 19, 2011
    Thus far I have found this too be a great game that lives up too, even goes beyond what I expect from the Elder Scrolls. It is still the #1 single player rpg series out there.
  4. Nov 19, 2011
    I've sunk about 35 hours into the game so far. I wanted to play it for quite awhile before I attempted a review so I could be at least somewhat accurate about my claims.

+ Insane amount of content. + Though dated, the graphics are still awesome. I just love the skies but everything is a little nicer. + Addictive and fun as all Elder Scrolls, maybe even moreso in some regards. - I've

+ Insane amount of content.
    + Addictive and fun as all Elder Scrolls, maybe even moreso in some regards.

- I've had 3 crashes, a few glitches that messed up saves and a couple of quests broke for unknown reasons in really strange ways.
    - Console port hurts a bit, traitors! There are some UI inefficiencies like you have to use a keyboard to press ESC but then click to select say quests. Also in alchemy you are forced to use the mouse a bit when you should be able to just press Enter as everything else uses the keyboard. Stuff like that.
    - In the end it's really just a modded oblivion.

Still, in the end I can't warrant anything less than a 9, as I've played this game more than most and it is still a truly magical experience in the end.
  5. Nov 19, 2011
    I only ever got to level 25 in Oblivion before I got bored, including the expansions. I've already far surpassed that and am still feeling as immersed as ever. It's absolutely stunning landscapes and diverse flora and fauna alone can leave you gasping in awe, wishing you could just stand there for hours and just watch. The quests are a colossal improvement on the last games; as well as theI only ever got to level 25 in Oblivion before I got bored, including the expansions. I've already far surpassed that and am still feeling as immersed as ever. It's absolutely stunning landscapes and diverse flora and fauna alone can leave you gasping in awe, wishing you could just stand there for hours and just watch. The quests are a colossal improvement on the last games; as well as the levelling up system; crafting; combat; main storyline; AI; just about everything. I have to say, having an open world with seemingly endless, different things to do popping up on a constant basis keeps you excited and enthralled. I could roll on for hours, what matters is that this is easily the best game I've ever played. My only complaint is how console-based the inventory is. 10/10, once they work out the bugs. Expand
  6. Dec 4, 2011
    Having clocked up around 80 hours on Skyrim now, I feel just about qualified to write a review. It is fair to say that Skyrim is a very good action RPG, but is rather too shallow to offer a truly great roleplaying experience.

By doing away with the standard base statistics (strength, agility, personality, etc) in the name of simplification, Bethesda has actually cheapened the gamer's experience significantly. Fallout: New Vegas offered a great insight as to how those statistics could affect the player's choices in a game, from different dialogue options with real consequences to being able to solve certain tasks for certain NPCs. Without those differing routes to the same conversational goal, interactions with NPCs feel flat, bland and pointless.

Of further frustration is that NPCs fail to recognise the player's achievements in the realm, though they comment freely on abilities of which they ought to know nothing. "Hands to yourself, sneak thief," a Whiterun guard might tell me, though I've never been spotted thieving in Whiterun (or anywhere near it). I am, however, a thegn of Whiterun and, despite the Jarl's promise to let all and sundry know my new rank, I am never addressed as thegn by anyone save my huscarl (who, I am sure, does it only to humour me). The addition of companions is tiresome in the sense that it adds nothing to the game, save a beast of burden. Most are pretty poor combatants and the dungeoneer will find most of his time protecting the person whom he has hired to protect him. Followers offer no unique interactions or personalised side quests and, in that respect, compare unfavourably with Fallout: New Vegas and the Mass Effect series. They feel like an entirely wasted opportunity to add some roleplay value to the game.

There are a large number of quests to complete, ranging from the benign (advise lovers for the Temple of Mara) to the downright evil (lure priests to their death for demented gods). There are some real moral choices to be made. However, there don't tend to be particularly profound consequences for those moral choices, which is rather disappointing.

The raidiant quest system works well as a means of getting the player to explore the whole map. While the radiant quests themselves are necessarily simplistic, that is entirely forgiveable in the circumstances. Far more frustrating are the scripted side-quests, the College of Winterhold plot being particular source of dissatisfaction at its short and shallow scope. When I arrived, I was learning to cast ward spells. Three hours later, I was the Archmage, thanks to an infuriatingly simplistic deus ex machina plot device, and without being a noticeably better spellcaster. Morrowind required me to do tasks for various mages and to master several magical disciplines. Winterhold obviously sets a lower premium on actually being any good at magic. There are, of course, things Skyrim does brilliantly. It's a very handsome game to look at, even on medium graphics settings. The dungeon design has improved immensely since Oblivion (even if the inevitable secret door back to the beginning seems like something of a cop-out). The dual wielding system, while not perfect, is an interesting development and a welcome addition to the game. Even in snowy Skryim, there are a variety of terrains and architectural styles which gave the game a real feeling of size. The underlying plot dynamics are interesting: the Nords portray themselves as valiantly fighting for their homeland against the elven oppressors and the weak imperium, but themselves oppress Skyrim's native folk in the west. But the game feels unfinished, even hasty in places and, after 80 hours play, leaves me with the distinct impression that it could have been so much more.
  7. Dec 6, 2011
    It's a nice upgrade to Oblivion, but it's not groundbreaking. If you liked Oblivion you'll like this. It's immersive and pretty and the voice acting is well done. It's been entertaining me for about 2 hours every night ever since I got it a few weeks ago. There is so much to do and I feel like I'm barely making a dent into the content, and I know the modding community will add a ton ofIt's a nice upgrade to Oblivion, but it's not groundbreaking. If you liked Oblivion you'll like this. It's immersive and pretty and the voice acting is well done. It's been entertaining me for about 2 hours every night ever since I got it a few weeks ago. There is so much to do and I feel like I'm barely making a dent into the content, and I know the modding community will add a ton of replay value in the coming months. So why is it only a 7? Subtract 1 point for being unoriginal in many ways. Same guilds, same dungeons, same enemies, same boring inhabitants as Oblivion. Oh, and the same bug ridden engine, which brings us to the next problem. Subtract another point for the myriad of annoyances. NPCs chit-chat with you incessisantly, repeating useless dialogue over and over. Followers don't level correctly and become useless after a few level ups. Player mages are UP while player warriors are OP. Dragon spam ruins immersion. The list goes on. And finally, subtract another point for the serious bugs - broken quests, #rimlag on the PS3, and releasing patch 1.2 which broke more than it fixed. Please publishers, stop, stop, stop shipping beta versions of games. I know a lot of reviewers dropped the ball in properly reporting these bugs, but the game publisher is still ultimately responsible. Expand
  8. Dec 11, 2011
    It's exactly what you've some to expect from Bethesda, another amazing expansive and engaging world. Skyrim is a gorgeous game, with a Jeremy Soule soundtrack for the ages. The gameplay feels a bit more brutal and satisfying than it was in Oblivion and Morrowind, and the new skill trees let you truly craft a unique character. The only gripe I have with Skyrim is that the main questline isIt's exactly what you've some to expect from Bethesda, another amazing expansive and engaging world. Skyrim is a gorgeous game, with a Jeremy Soule soundtrack for the ages. The gameplay feels a bit more brutal and satisfying than it was in Oblivion and Morrowind, and the new skill trees let you truly craft a unique character. The only gripe I have with Skyrim is that the main questline is extremely short, well written and voiced, but short. It feels like it just gets going, and before you know it it's over. Luckily though the game offers you enough sidequests and places to explore that it keeps you pretty damn happy, which is something most games can't say if their main story falls a bit short. Expand
  9. Dec 11, 2011
    Firstly, I'm not going to lie and say this is the best game of all time, because it isn't. However, it is a bloody good one with its outstanding graphics and phenominal storyline. However it does have some of its issues like any other game.

I first was encouraged by friends to buy this game, even though I was some-what against the game by it's previous game which I have not been a massive fan of. However, I have to say that me buying this game was one of the best decisions I have made in quite a while. This game kept me entertained for a very long time and its phenominally high graphics just fuelled my lust for this game.

The game has some of the most advanced graphics I have seen throughout my 7 years of gaming experience, from its small scale detail to the massive mountains in the background, which is not just a picture but an actual place you can go without it changing detail ( If you get what I mean ). The fighting, whether it be from the melee or magic side is simply magical. The detail, the sound, the movement, the characters, all add a realness to it and thus, I shall be playing this game for a very long time revealing all of its advantages and secrets there is to offer...but even then I would only dent but a fraction of what this game has to offer.

You can choose different races, genders and types of characters with a wide range of choice, which is what I value in the game...choice. As you play through the game, every single decision you make will affect the game; by slaughtering a village to deciding which way you wish to go, it will have an impact on your gameplay, which therefore makes this game impossible to finish.

On the other hand, with this game you have to be careful what you do, like if you kill a woman 'Hildy' for example, in the first village you encounter she will not respawn...she is dead for good ( to my knowledge ). However, some may argue that this is to add realism and many value this as a good aspect of gaming.

Furthermore, the range of enemies you encounter is far more than the decisions you make! From giant spiders to enemies of all races, you can slay almost anyone - even your allies!

To tell you the truth, this game is almost faultless and you gain a real achievement from completing the game which takes you hours, if not weeks to complete. Unlike other games, you are guaranteed what you pay for with this game. A very enjoyable experience indeed.
  10. Dec 12, 2011
    A pretty solid game but I feel it was lacking somewhat when compared to Oblivion in a few respects, first of it seemed a lot less complex in regard to levelling, there were fewer skill trees with some of my favourites missing such as unarmed combat. This is probably due to Bethesda trying to market the game to a wider audience but it just feels a bit dumbed down. Otherwise the graphicsA pretty solid game but I feel it was lacking somewhat when compared to Oblivion in a few respects, first of it seemed a lot less complex in regard to levelling, there were fewer skill trees with some of my favourites missing such as unarmed combat. This is probably due to Bethesda trying to market the game to a wider audience but it just feels a bit dumbed down. Otherwise the graphics were a vast improvement and the horrible Bethesda face has finally been removed from speech. It has been made more accessible and streamlined and the world felt a lot bigger. There is a lot to do and find and the freedom is immense like every elder scrolls, I'm still eagerly awaiting the DLC. Expand
  11. Dec 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Truly, a joy to play. Skyrim has a lot of great points and bad points that just can't be ignored. The Great. At first, the leveling and skill tree changes kind of bothered me, but I grew to like the changes, it's a little bit more simplified over oblivion for the leveling, moving to just magicka/health/stamina but the skill trees give a lot of room for diversification. There is a ton to do, so much so, it's hard to know for sure if you've done everything in an area. I particularly like the choices that are presented in some of the quests, for example, when joining the brotherhood. I liked the addition of the shouts in the game, gave a lot of the casting abilities for those who choose not to be a mage. I thought it was a cool idea to move the stars from what you were born under to the stones and I loved how they got rid of the greater and lesser skills and can level everything equally. I loved the enchants, as overpowered as they are, there's still a certain joy in completely destroying your enemy with gear that you've made.

The Bad: Holy bugs batman... I've been running the game on a top of the line system and get game crashes about every 30min-1hr and get weird graphical gliches as well (which seem to go hand in hand most of the time). I had a companion quest bug out on me because I had cleared out the dungeon while exploring that they were gonna send me to and had to use console commands to fix it after waiting a month in game. Also had a similar story trying to get the house in windhelm, had to use console commands for that one too (who knew you couldn't do brotherhood quests first?). While I like the skill trees, It's doesn't take long to figure out that most of the skills in those trees are worthless (anyone else notice how light armor fully perked is completely worthless when held up against heavy armor fully perked?) and I was surprised and disappointed how many of the top tier perks fell into the worthless category. I was a bit bothered that mages can run around in heavy armor without any penalties, truly, it makes no sense why the mages at the college are all wearing cloth. Playing through on master difficulty is still too easy with the crafting skills as they are, especially enchanting, which can and does completely invalidate magicka altogether (sucks to find that out halfway into the game as a mage after power leveling your magicka). I REALLY wanted at least one item, just one, to be better than something I could make myself. (wth is the point of doing all those shrines if they're all gonna be worse than what you've got?)

All in all, I know it sounds like I didn't like the game, but after putting in over 240 hrs, I just can't say that I didn't love it. The reply value is high, the entertainment value is high, the story is riveting, I just ended up having to gimp myself and not use certain skills to make it harder. (Currently playing through only using thief stone skills +1hd on master)
  12. Dec 14, 2011
    I don't usually leave a review on a game, but in Skyrim's case it just has to be said. I've been gaming for nearly 27 years and RPGs are my favored type of genre. Skyrim takes everything that was incredible from Morrowind and the beauty and vastness of Oblivion and put's it together to create the most compelling and captivating game that i have ever played in all my days(seriously). NearlyI don't usually leave a review on a game, but in Skyrim's case it just has to be said. I've been gaming for nearly 27 years and RPGs are my favored type of genre. Skyrim takes everything that was incredible from Morrowind and the beauty and vastness of Oblivion and put's it together to create the most compelling and captivating game that i have ever played in all my days(seriously). Nearly 130 hrs later and i am still putting off the main quest as Skyrim take's me all over the land to the gorgeous city's then down into the ancient dwemer strongholds!. Theirs more content in this game that even an MMO would would have problems keeping up with. I do understand that some people will give it a low score, but due to content alone, Skyrim is well worth your money. if you play this game for even 10 hrs then that's more than you can squeeze from any other game made this year. my point is time/money with any game and in this case £39.99 is a frickin bargain ! One last point to make. The shear attention to detail this game delivers is awesome! If every company made their games with this much love and commitment like Bethesda has achieved then everybody on the planet would be Gamers by now. keep up the good work Beth, i take my slightly dented helmet off to you ;) Expand
  13. Dec 15, 2011
    Excellent and huge game. Sure its buggy, very very buggy, but given the size and scope the bugs aren't a big deal. I'm also hopeful that there'll be DLC for it, but even if there isn't there's more than enough content to keep you happy.
  14. Dec 19, 2011
    The game really great. It reminds of old times rpg'ów with a huge world and a large number of races, monsters, enemies, weapons, equipment. For this wonderful cool climate and as far as storyline and nice graphics. Very good game but not perfect by me and are annoying bugs in it that u are not really players can occur frequently (for example, you can see videos on youtube.) MyThe game really great. It reminds of old times rpg'ów with a huge world and a large number of races, monsters, enemies, weapons, equipment. For this wonderful cool climate and as far as storyline and nice graphics. Very good game but not perfect by me and are annoying bugs in it that u are not really players can occur frequently (for example, you can see videos on youtube.) My rating -8.5 / 10 Expand
  15. Dec 20, 2011
    Skyrim is more or less, ridiculously fun. It is well worth the $60 I pre-ordered it with, and is a vast improvement over ES4:Oblivion. Taking the graphics side by side, Skyrim most definitely has a thousand times better and more beautiful picture.
    Although the game started out with some pretty weird bugs and issues, they are meant to be fixed, like any other game's issues. I have yet to wait for the hi-res textures and the crash fixes; but aside from so, the game is amazing.
    I would rate this a 9.5 (minus 1 point for unfixed bugs), round up 10 due to the ugly faces that Bethesda has decided to have the elves succumb to (the 0.5 pts).
  16. Mar 4, 2012
    Bethesda has done an incredible job at recreating the elder scrolls, the Havok game engine creates the huge and extraordinary world of which is Skyrim. The endless Items and beautiful graphics and textures gives the game an extraordinary feel. Improvements to the game could be an MMO on the PC version and patches on some glitches within the game. Overall a Great story line and plenty ofBethesda has done an incredible job at recreating the elder scrolls, the Havok game engine creates the huge and extraordinary world of which is Skyrim. The endless Items and beautiful graphics and textures gives the game an extraordinary feel. Improvements to the game could be an MMO on the PC version and patches on some glitches within the game. Overall a Great story line and plenty of creatures to battle. I'm happy to see that the developers have kept the same game play as the Fallout series, yet tweaked it a little to fit the medieval theme... I hope the developers make a sequel to this brilliant series. Expand
  17. Mar 6, 2012
    After playing well over 100 hours in the game as a warrior, a mage, and a ranger, I must say that this game has many great ideas and quite a few flaws. The world is amazing; Skyrim is a living and breathing place and you get the sense of that just by walking through the towns or running through the tundra and seeing giants and mammoths roam. Combat can be really fun, especially when youAfter playing well over 100 hours in the game as a warrior, a mage, and a ranger, I must say that this game has many great ideas and quite a few flaws. The world is amazing; Skyrim is a living and breathing place and you get the sense of that just by walking through the towns or running through the tundra and seeing giants and mammoths roam. Combat can be really fun, especially when you toss in dragons to spice things up. Dragon fights are probably the most fun fights but can get boring and easy later on. The main quest line is the only quest line that really stands out in the whole game, immersion in the world can easily be broken by the creation engine's limitations, actual RPG elements like chopping wood and cooking are nice but there aren't nearly enough and it feels half done, and combat can get dull pretty quickly due to combat limitations. Props to Bethesda for using the Steam Workshop, finally releasing the CK, and giving us a free HR DLC. Even though the game can be lame at times, and even though there is no DX11, it's still pretty solid. Expand
  18. Mar 6, 2012
    Great videogame. Small dislikes but overall a true videogame experience. Sit back and let Bethesda make you feel rewarded for the money you spent on it.
  19. Mar 6, 2012
    The sheer scale of this game is overwhelming. The world is breath-taking and feels alive. My only complaint lies in a general lack of character development. But this game doesn't live and die purely on the quality of story telling like a Bioware game. The freedom to explore such a massive world with seemingly endless things to do is a welcome break from the railroading we get in nearlyThe sheer scale of this game is overwhelming. The world is breath-taking and feels alive. My only complaint lies in a general lack of character development. But this game doesn't live and die purely on the quality of story telling like a Bioware game. The freedom to explore such a massive world with seemingly endless things to do is a welcome break from the railroading we get in nearly every other title. Expand
  20. Mar 6, 2012
    Superb game. Huge world where you can do whatever you feel like. Great story and fun combat (could be a bit better here). Skills and the tie with leveling is pretty cool. This is one of those games where you start playing, look up thinking 20 minutes passed but 4 hours really did. Very immersive.
  21. Mar 7, 2012
    Yet another great installment of the Elder Scrolls series, Skyrim improves all the great things we loved about Oblivion but yet it doesn't come close to Morrowind in storytelling and narrative, the main quest is rather short but the side quests makes it up for it, they are quite detailed and sometimes more interesting than the main quest itself, exploration is one of the greatest thingYet another great installment of the Elder Scrolls series, Skyrim improves all the great things we loved about Oblivion but yet it doesn't come close to Morrowind in storytelling and narrative, the main quest is rather short but the side quests makes it up for it, they are quite detailed and sometimes more interesting than the main quest itself, exploration is one of the greatest thing about Skyrim, having breathtaking scenery and locations makes it one of the best looking game today without mentioning there are games with better textures and graphical details out there, the score is yet once again written by one of my favorites composers of all times Jeremy Soule, jumping to the gameplay section the combat is an improvement over oblivion, rpg elements are simplified but it has been added more depth with the perks, to end my review I have to say it's quite hard to find something wrong with Skyrim, Maybe the interface isn't really good at the PC platform but still... this is one game that benefits from community mods, if you're planning to buy this game don't stop to think it's worth every penny and you won't be disappointed. Expand
  22. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think when talking about Skyrim we need to temper expectations with the reality of the gaming industry today. Gone are the days where the ACTUAL goal of the industry was to make really good games. The purpose now is to make money, so if we happen to get a really great game along the way, we should take the opportunity with both hands and let the industry know that's what we like. I think we've missed an opportunity with Skyrim, but at the other end of the spectrum. Nowhere near enough effort was put into the PC version (if the choice were up to me, I'd shaft the console versions completely and develop future TES games SOLELY for PC), as is shown by the terrible menus. The SkyUI mod looks much better and as soon as I finish this review I'm installing it myself. The menus on the PC version wreak of console and as a PC gamer I am offended by the utter contempt shown towards me in the way the menu system was essentially ignored.

The combat mechanisms I can't really compare to any other TES because Skyrim is the first TES game I've played. What I can say is that if every blow dealt to, and by, the character was felt and had proper impacts then combat would just be annoying because as soon as you get hit, that's another second or two you're staggered and against more than one opponent it would simply infuriate most gamers, I suspect. As for people saying it's boring and bland...unless you want turn based strategic combat I think hack-and-slash is the best you're ever going to get.

The tech tree are a bit of a worry as well because there are some I would simply never use. The alchemy tree, for instance, has been utterly useless to me. As has the Speech tree. On the magic side of things I've only used the Destruction and Restoration trees, but the other magic trees (Conjuration and Illusion) aren't in my sphere of playing interest so I can't comment on them. But destruction is well fun and blowing stuff up with Fireball or wiping out waves of Skeletons with Ice Storm is rather enjoyable. But Pickpocket and Lockpicking just seem like a waste of time in terms of spending perks on them when lockpicking only requires patience and pickpocketing only has to be done ONCE as a mandatory part of any quest in the whole game (as far as I know). The combat-based trees are pretty good I think and most of the perks are quite useful (not triggering pressure plates is a godsend in long dungeon crawls). Smithing and Enchanting, however are a problem. They are by far the most boring and costly to level up because of the sheer amount of raw materials needed to get your smithing to a high level. And enchanting items even purely as a means of increasing your enchanting level is time consuming and tedious. They should've been rescaled to allow much faster leveling than what is currently in place.

The HUD (above and beyond the menu system) feels sluggish and slightly unresponsive to mouse movements ESPECIALLY in the menus and the world map. At times you can be just as prone to selecting the wrong fast travel destination as to selling the wrong weapon and finding yourself without your prized legendary-level Daedric bow.

The difficulty levels in Skyrim seem to matter less and less as your character's strength increases. Currently as I play through on Adept difficulty, I might as well be playing on easiest for all the difficulty Trolls and Dragons are in the face of my Destruction magic but in earlier levels it does make a real difference in terms of whether you land that extra, and final, blow or whether you yourself get taken down by a finishing blow.

As for the quests, I personally thoroughly enjoyed the main questline. I thought it was original, interesting, engaging and exciting, especially in some of the ruins. The main side-quests are also pretty good and were (and are) a lot of fun for me. The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild both return and equivalents of the Fighters' and Mages' Guilds also feature extended questlines. The complaints about most quests being "go here and kill this thing" or "go there and retrieve that thing" are unreasonable simply because it's not feasible to make a game where every side quest has a fleshed out plotline to it, especially in a game the size and scope of Skyrim. As for the lack of puzzles, I must admit that even I, a supreme fail at puzzle solving found so few puzzles to solve in this game that I was a little disappointed. Not only that, but all the puzzles were of the same type (more or less). On the topic of quests being linear, what else can they be? If they were totally open slather, giving free reign to players on finishing in whatever way they wanted, how would the game handle all the possible variables? I think linear dungeons is the ONLY way to make the game work.
  23. Mar 12, 2012
    Skyrim is a great game, whether you're enjoying the great story to go alongside the main quest line, doing original, non-repetitive side quests, or just exploring the vast and wonderful world of Bethesda's creation. Flaws are few and far between within this game, but not nonexistent. Travel can be rather tedious, longer trips taking a good few play sessions. For PC gamers, lag exists evenSkyrim is a great game, whether you're enjoying the great story to go alongside the main quest line, doing original, non-repetitive side quests, or just exploring the vast and wonderful world of Bethesda's creation. Flaws are few and far between within this game, but not nonexistent. Travel can be rather tedious, longer trips taking a good few play sessions. For PC gamers, lag exists even in the very lowest possible graphics settings. Now that the problems have been gotten through, I'll list off a few positive features; There is an extreme amount of things to do other than the main storyline. You can even get married. the multiple groups available to join have a vast amount of sidequests, followers, and more to play around with. All around, this is a great game. Expand
  24. Mar 12, 2012
    love the new interface, love the streamlined perks system, love the graphics, even love the combat mechanics, what i hate though is the plot, it doesnt feel focused enough, and all the sidequests are rather boring. also i wish you could form deep relationships in the game like in Dragon age origins, make u sorta feel more attached to the wonderfully huge and impressive world. overalllove the new interface, love the streamlined perks system, love the graphics, even love the combat mechanics, what i hate though is the plot, it doesnt feel focused enough, and all the sidequests are rather boring. also i wish you could form deep relationships in the game like in Dragon age origins, make u sorta feel more attached to the wonderfully huge and impressive world. overall though i loved it, got a good solid 30 hours out of it before boredom kicked in. Expand
  25. Mar 15, 2012
    After finishing most of the main story-lines, I quickly started to lose interest in the game as by that time there was no longer a goal to aspire to and the mechanics of Skyrim's open world were rather ill concealed. Feeling mildly disappointed, I then discovered that I had already played the game for a good 90 hours and quickly revised my opinion: it'd be rather odd to be disappointed byAfter finishing most of the main story-lines, I quickly started to lose interest in the game as by that time there was no longer a goal to aspire to and the mechanics of Skyrim's open world were rather ill concealed. Feeling mildly disappointed, I then discovered that I had already played the game for a good 90 hours and quickly revised my opinion: it'd be rather odd to be disappointed by 90 hours of fun for a â Expand
  26. Apr 24, 2012
    Being my first Elder Scrolls game, I probably wasn't as picky as those who have played the previous games. But I'd like to put my input as just a general PC gamer. This is not a game I can sit here and bad mouth, and surely I'd willingly recommend it, but like any other game, it had its flaws. The graphics were great, ever on low. But, I found lots of repetition in both the environmentBeing my first Elder Scrolls game, I probably wasn't as picky as those who have played the previous games. But I'd like to put my input as just a general PC gamer. This is not a game I can sit here and bad mouth, and surely I'd willingly recommend it, but like any other game, it had its flaws. The graphics were great, ever on low. But, I found lots of repetition in both the environment itself and in the dungeons. At the beginning and further into the game, I ran into dungeons that were all pretty much identical in both enemies and loot. Luckily I was immersed enough in what I was attempting to complete that this didn't stick out to me until my tenth or eleventh dungeon that looked exactly like the past few I had been doing. I'll cut bethesda some slack here, it was a huge game and creating each dungeon to be unique would have been both time consuming and difficult.

It took a good thirty hours of choppy gameplay before I began getting bored, and I knew I was still at the very tip of the game still! I still continued playing, as I was curious. I had some good quests going that kept me playing, and was figuring out things every day that I hadn't known. It was the repetition that got to me. Sometimes I'd just want to log on and run around, doing quests that would consist of just running around town and delivering items or something of the sort. I found a few of these, which was fantastic, but a large majority of the quests sent you way off into some dungeon with the same graphics as the last dungeon you completed. And one last thing that I'd like to address to any future buyers. The quests are glitchy. Not all of them, but I've ran into a few that have made it either impossible to move forward, and nearly impossible. I'm grateful these can be fixed in patches, but they can really set you off of the game for a while. It's a fair warning that I'm sure most have heard before- it's not uncommon. Also, the game isn't at all linear. It has its moments (especially in dungeons or when speaking to someone), but you're able to go explore whenever and wherever you want. You're not stuck on a single path, you're able to branch off and join guilds of thievery, or armies, and even a college for mages, you name it. That's what I have liked the most about this game. I can make my character how I want to, and like most single players games, where you're stuck with one destiny, this one you get to chose what it is. Well worth the $60.00 I spent on it.
  27. Apr 26, 2012
    After i got this overhyped game, i had very high expectations. For me the graphics were very good, i was hoping the character i play to talk aswell and more choses in dialog´s. Story wise the game was letdown. General idea was awesome, but it took too long to get the general idea what is going on and side missions (Factions) gave cryptic ideals about their goals and how youAfter i got this overhyped game, i had very high expectations. For me the graphics were very good, i was hoping the character i play to talk aswell and more choses in dialog´s. Story wise the game was letdown. General idea was awesome, but it took too long to get the general idea what is going on and side missions (Factions) gave cryptic ideals about their goals and how you fit in em. Exploring the world and quick travels did make it simple, but you had feeling you are part of something huge. Sadly the main storyline was over pretty quickly and i lost interest doing side mission that led nowhere. Dragon fights were funny for a while, but then you are stuck just hoping the thing lands so you can keep going somewhere. Overall good game with awesome graphics (My standards). Expand
  28. Jun 11, 2012
    In my opinion, skyrim is among the most remarkable open world games of the decade. The game provides a huge amount of creative content carefully produced over more than 5 years, and is certainly worth buying. Every aspect of this massive world is tailored to near perfection, and from deep valleys, to yawning, subterranean caves, to the shear mountain peaks, the game looks magnificent. InIn my opinion, skyrim is among the most remarkable open world games of the decade. The game provides a huge amount of creative content carefully produced over more than 5 years, and is certainly worth buying. Every aspect of this massive world is tailored to near perfection, and from deep valleys, to yawning, subterranean caves, to the shear mountain peaks, the game looks magnificent. In a game this large, there are going to be glitches, perhaps more so during the PC experience, but skyrim is just as immersive as any of the other TES games, if not more so. Even after hundreds of hours of play, i still found more quests and options, better even then the one before it. Perhaps even more enchanting than the actual game play was the achingly beautiful soundtrack that accompanied the quests. This and other sounds of skyrim, voices a noises, added a level of realism here-for unattained. Though the main quest line grew tiresome after a while, and was over before you knew it, there were many others to take its place, like the thieves guild quests, the companions quests, and the dark brotherhood quests, all of which take turns that keep you guessing. For me, however, the best part was seeing my character develop, to a warrior, mage, or thief. the game interface was, at times, clunky. when trying to change weapons rapidly, exiting to the menu took me out of the experience in an annoying way, and the favorite menu wasn't much of a help. However, the leveling system was excellent, and continued to give the rewards that were necessary to keep my interest. Whats more, you didn't have to make all your big choices at the beginning of the game; you could actively decide your characters path through your own play style and preference. I discovered early on that spells were not my forte, so i focused instead on leveling my archery abilities, and just didn't use spells. Skyrim grants more freedom than almost any other game, and if you have the money, spend it on Skyrim, because it is more than worth it. I don't want to give it a perfect 10, because there were some stale bits and bugs occasionally did interrupt game play, consider it a 9.5! Thank you for reading, don't hate, and have a nice day. Expand
  29. Jun 15, 2012
    meh, this wasn't a bad game, but the D A M N LOAD SCREENS took all the fun out of it. Seriously, when I'm exploring the vast lands of skyrim, I don't want to wait 30 seconds to 1 minute to enter a building....plus all the framerate and graphic glitches kept me from rating it higher. All this contributed to me getting bored of the game after a week and a half or so of playing it.
  30. Jun 30, 2012
    "It was a dark and stormy night; I had taken a creative writing course...." OK, if you can ignore the shallow dialogue, you can enjoy this game. Even with all the bugs and holes in the game, it's still pretty fun to play. I myself am surprised by how many hours I have given it. BUY THIS GAME IF: -You love sandbox RPGs. -You have a NEXUS account -You can spend hours digging through mods"It was a dark and stormy night; I had taken a creative writing course...." OK, if you can ignore the shallow dialogue, you can enjoy this game. Even with all the bugs and holes in the game, it's still pretty fun to play. I myself am surprised by how many hours I have given it. BUY THIS GAME IF: -You love sandbox RPGs. -You have a NEXUS account -You can spend hours digging through mods and testing your personal brew to get the game right. AVOID THIS GAME IF: -You are diagnosed with ADD (I dare you to stick with one character past 30) -You are a perfectionist or completionist -You have a family dependent upon you. OVERALL: I don't agree with relying upon the modding community to polish a game, but you SHOULD mod it, and if you can put in the time you can make this a great escape. Expand
  31. Sep 29, 2012
    Skyrim looks amazing, that is honestly the best thing I can say about it. Boy does it lack Good Content. When I play an RPG I expect good story telling and this game came up short. I don't know if it's just Elder Scroll combat or what but I just found it boring for the most part. The thieves guilds story line was pretty good but unfortunately I did that first so the rest of the game justSkyrim looks amazing, that is honestly the best thing I can say about it. Boy does it lack Good Content. When I play an RPG I expect good story telling and this game came up short. I don't know if it's just Elder Scroll combat or what but I just found it boring for the most part. The thieves guilds story line was pretty good but unfortunately I did that first so the rest of the game just seemed stale. I've dappled with the mods which breath new life into Skyrim which make it enjoyable. It's a well done game especially visually and they did a lot of technical touches that make it well polished. But I honestly don't understand why it lacks good story telling. Skyrim is a massive game with a huge world. It will take you many places however, they may be places you don't want to go to. If you're a fan of Elder Scroll games you'll most likely enough this one. But Oblivion had better story telling. imo. Expand
  32. Oct 13, 2012
    Skyrim in many ways is the best game ever made. You can always think of hundreds of ways to make it better and its got numerous bugs (including some game breaking ones); yet it still holds onto a 8.1 user score.
  33. Oct 29, 2012
    This game is absolutely stunning, it is by far the greatest RPG I have ever played and probably is the best out there today. This game isn't dumbed down for the console or for the modern gamer but it takes its roots from a true RPG, the world is giant and the amount of items and story this game has is ridiculous, there are thousands of caves and dungeons to be explored here, so many questsThis game is absolutely stunning, it is by far the greatest RPG I have ever played and probably is the best out there today. This game isn't dumbed down for the console or for the modern gamer but it takes its roots from a true RPG, the world is giant and the amount of items and story this game has is ridiculous, there are thousands of caves and dungeons to be explored here, so many quests to be accomplished, so many enemies to kill. The combat from previous games have been improved so much it made me feel like I was in true combat, every hit affects your enemy in a different way, staggers them or if their blocking you will staggered and fall back allowing you enemy to swing at you. The story is also more vast with 2 main quest lines to follow, one of them is for your Dragonborn roots, the other is for the freedom of Skyrim, these 2 story lines aren't the greatest but they are better than most on the market, but that doesn't even matter because it is everything else Skyrim is that does, the story is deep through the entire game, there are thousands of books you can read, different story lines that last for hours and give you more bite. The graphics also look fantastic, even without the HD texture pack, this game looks great throughout even though bad code early on did make this game quite laggy. With the addition of mods this game becomes the greatest there ever was for me. The quick travel is also another great addition but has been around for many years in the Elder Scrolls series, so it is nice not to have to run all over this huge map.
    Hats off to Bethesda, they have made a great game that all RPGs should be measured against.
  34. Oct 30, 2012
    Stunning visuals and an intense story make this one of the best TES games yet. There are many different NPC's with many different things to say, which even change as you progress in the story. In addition you have a wide variety of options in the storyline to make, and...well...it's just wonderful. A very immersible and enjoyable experience.

The one reason I withhold a 10, however, is

The one reason I withhold a 10, however, is because of the lack of diversity in the voices. It sounds like there are only three different voices for each race to have, but that's a fair trade-off for visuals and fluid gameplay, I suppose.
  35. Oct 31, 2012
    Skyrim is an amazing game and looks great. The story is just ok but all of the guilds are where the real story is. Magic looks much better in this game than Oblivion. It feels a lot more like your actions affect the game. Mods and the better graphics sways my decision to play this on PC more than Xbox. Overall this is a great game and a great continuation of the series.
  36. Nov 24, 2012
    Except the interface, rather adapted for console, the game is absolutely amazing. But don't worry, there is already a great addon to perfect it for PC (Bethesda is with the serie The Elders Scrolls, like Mojang is with Minecraft, very mind opened, allowing fans to design mods with a special API).
  37. Nov 25, 2012
    Absolutely amazing. This is the first game I have ever rated a 10 and it is justified. This game is everything you want and more. I am not even a fan of the whole fantasy genre but, having played Oblivion, I was completely sold once playing this game. First, the pure depth of the game is staggering. The map itself is massive and there are so many towns, caves, nooks and cranny's toAbsolutely amazing. This is the first game I have ever rated a 10 and it is justified. This game is everything you want and more. I am not even a fan of the whole fantasy genre but, having played Oblivion, I was completely sold once playing this game. First, the pure depth of the game is staggering. The map itself is massive and there are so many towns, caves, nooks and cranny's to enter it will take you forever to discover them all. My biggest complaint about Oblivion was the inventory interface and the combat and Bethesda addressed both of these issues in Skyrim. The inventory is much easier to use and the "favorites" option simplifies it even further. Combat is much improved, with blocking, striking and casting being much easier and more realistic.

EVERYONE should play this game. It is amazing and all of the mods out there make it even more enticing. The only reason I rated it a 9 and not 10 was because my ultimate game would be set in space, not Skyrim...I know that is stupid but I will never rate a 10 unless it is that. Star Citizen has potential though...
  38. Dec 10, 2012
    Bethesda did a great job on the Elder Scrolls V, Skyrim. It had a great story-line, awesome downloadable content, and a wide diversity of enemies to fight. This game blew me away.
  39. Kyo
    Dec 17, 2012
    Skyrim is a great game and my first of the elder scrolls series, but to me I feel like it was hyped more then it needed to be. My friends told me to get it that it was amazing, fun and just dumb not to own it. So I got it, at first I was very impressed but as I continued I found myself getting bored; after running into a dungeon for the millionth time it just lost my interest. I would findSkyrim is a great game and my first of the elder scrolls series, but to me I feel like it was hyped more then it needed to be. My friends told me to get it that it was amazing, fun and just dumb not to own it. So I got it, at first I was very impressed but as I continued I found myself getting bored; after running into a dungeon for the millionth time it just lost my interest. I would find myself just sitting there saying "Ill just finish this dungeon and go to bed" after forcing myself to pick it back up.

Other then that that game is fun for the most part, the scenery and size of the world is amazing, the music is just beautiful and exciting, tons of quests, you can explore for hours and find new things and places it is worth the money.

The combat is kind of lack luster it feels very clunky and awkward most of the time like when you try to slash at someone it doesn't feel like you hit them, yet the kill cams are pretty amazing if not funny at times. To me Skyrim is a great game that was over hyped by fans. I went in expecting to have so much fun and an exciting experience, but got an average one instead much like a fantastic disappointment that was enjoyable. I know that sounds like I hated it, but I did enjoy it, it's just not my favorite game.
  40. Dec 20, 2012
    Stunning, groundbreaking, amazing. Simply epic... Nothing more to say, Bethesda at its best.
    A 'must have' for all gamers. Few minor bugs and glitches prevent it from getting a straight 10/10. Strongly recommending it.
  41. Dec 24, 2012
    Amazing game. I have played nearly all of Bethesda's free roam games, all of them with mods and all of them good. Skyrim alone (without mods) is an amazing game, always something to do, huge amounts of quests, and Bethesda has made it Modder friendly by releasing the Creation Kit, so now easy to make mods, with Steam Workshop, easy to upload and download mods. Overall, a game worthAmazing game. I have played nearly all of Bethesda's free roam games, all of them with mods and all of them good. Skyrim alone (without mods) is an amazing game, always something to do, huge amounts of quests, and Bethesda has made it Modder friendly by releasing the Creation Kit, so now easy to make mods, with Steam Workshop, easy to upload and download mods. Overall, a game worth getting, a game worth playing. Expand
  42. Dec 27, 2012
    An excellent effort. Skyrim presents an interesting, beautiful world that's a joy to explore. This installment is a league above Oblivion, which I felt wasted its potential. The only drawback here, comes not from the game's design itself, but from the developer's need to placate console gamers which ultimately ultimately hinders any open world game. You have to wonder what an EDS game orAn excellent effort. Skyrim presents an interesting, beautiful world that's a joy to explore. This installment is a league above Oblivion, which I felt wasted its potential. The only drawback here, comes not from the game's design itself, but from the developer's need to placate console gamers which ultimately ultimately hinders any open world game. You have to wonder what an EDS game or Fallout game would look like if devs didn't have to cater to the aging technology found in consoles. Expand
  43. Dec 27, 2012
    Skyrim is probably the best game I've played to date. Allowing for almost endless hours of exploration, it caters to the explorer in everyone. The storyline? Well, for everyone who complains about it, I counter that there isn't just the one storyline. Sure, the main questline isn't perfect, but it's very well done. As for the other questlines, they will keep you busy for many hours pastSkyrim is probably the best game I've played to date. Allowing for almost endless hours of exploration, it caters to the explorer in everyone. The storyline? Well, for everyone who complains about it, I counter that there isn't just the one storyline. Sure, the main questline isn't perfect, but it's very well done. As for the other questlines, they will keep you busy for many hours past when you finish the main one, even if it's not the first one you complete.

The graphics are definitely dated by PC standards (though the easily pleased console gamers will think it looks amazing). By now, however, the myriad mods available through either the Steam Workshop or the Skyrim Nexus will make the game look almost as good as many of the DX11 games out there.

Everything is so thoroughly completed that it achieves what few games do: genuine immersion. Definitely check it out!
  44. Dec 29, 2012
    Skyrim, I love this game. I only wish my computer would be able to run this on high settings so it isn't laggy, but I'm not lowering my score because I can't play on good settings. The quest, the atmosphere, the people.. everything is great I have nothing bad to say about this game I haven't even come across a bug yet. There is defiantly more than enough places to explore I don't evenSkyrim, I love this game. I only wish my computer would be able to run this on high settings so it isn't laggy, but I'm not lowering my score because I can't play on good settings. The quest, the atmosphere, the people.. everything is great I have nothing bad to say about this game I haven't even come across a bug yet. There is defiantly more than enough places to explore I don't even think I explored half of them, seriously. Mods also make this game better, even though there isn't much more to add to make it better! Expand
  45. Dec 30, 2012
    This truly is a masterpiece, one of the greatest games in existence! Wonderful atmosphere!
    If you´re at all into RPG's you need to play and experience this.
  46. Jan 1, 2013
    This is honestly the most epic game I've ever played. I went into this without having ever played an Elder Scrolls game, or even any 3D RPG outside WoW. Needless to say, I was more than impressed by its graphics, gameplay, character customization, and the fact that, true to their advertisements, what you do in the game actually does have an impact on the storyline. Like most people, IThis is honestly the most epic game I've ever played. I went into this without having ever played an Elder Scrolls game, or even any 3D RPG outside WoW. Needless to say, I was more than impressed by its graphics, gameplay, character customization, and the fact that, true to their advertisements, what you do in the game actually does have an impact on the storyline. Like most people, I dislike the weight limit thing, but you can easily get around that but making your companion pick up everything (when done this way rather than through trading, they have an unlimited storage capacity). The only other thing that really kind of bothered me was the way enemies level up when you do. I know this is to keep the game challenging, but it also means you can't really experiment. For example, if you increase your one-handed weapon, archery, and magic skills by 10 each, the enemies will level up as if you had specialized in one skill and had gotten it up by 30. Being balanced in this game is a disadvantage, so if you're reading this and haven't played yet, pick a class that offers high bonuses in one area (I went with a dark elf because they have a good balance between melee and magic, but I now sincerely wish I'd gone with either Nord (melee) or High Elf (magic)). I personally have never used crafting or blacksmithing to enhance or make weapons, although I hear it's a pain to level that up. I've also only experience a few bugs, only one that was major (a quest where a guy was supposed to follow you, but wouldn't, so every 10 seconds you had to talk to him so he'd start following you again) but in a game of this magnitude, I'd take a whole nest of bugs if it meant playing this game. Overall, 9/10, though that's just because I've never found a perfect game. This, however is indeed the best I've played. Expand
  47. Jan 5, 2013
    Best game That i have ever played. Perfect graphics, AI, Realism and very detailed items. I recommend to purchase also DLC Hearthfire and Dawnguard. With hearthfire you will be able to build a house and adopt a child. You will have minecraft-like skyrim.
  48. Jan 12, 2013
    I agree. i have played all editions of this series and loved every minute of them.Oblivion,Morrowwind and now i am partway thru Skyrim. Skyrim has better graphics and characters in the world of Skyrim . I would recommend this game on all platforms,PC,XBox Buy an enjoy.
  49. Jan 19, 2013
    The game is not perfect, by any means. Glitches and bugs exist all over the longer you play it. However, the graphical design of the game is amazing, especially in HD. The game play mechanics have improved greatly over it's predecessor, and the quests seem to be more engaging. That's enough to invest more than 200 hours sitting and playing on your sofa.
  50. Jan 20, 2013
    TES V : skyrim is the most beautiful game I played for a long time.
    it's really a game that has a history and that we never get tired of playing. for me it really deserves the maximum mark
  51. Jan 26, 2013
    Why a 10? Clearly the game has faults (starting with the awkward animation, the even more awkward UI, and a fair share of bugs). Yet all of these are quickly forgotten. Even though I play lots of other games, Skyrim keeps pulling me back in. I think it is because I can do whatever I want. I am not chained to the path the developers arranged. I can make any kind of character, and doWhy a 10? Clearly the game has faults (starting with the awkward animation, the even more awkward UI, and a fair share of bugs). Yet all of these are quickly forgotten. Even though I play lots of other games, Skyrim keeps pulling me back in. I think it is because I can do whatever I want. I am not chained to the path the developers arranged. I can make any kind of character, and do anything at all with it. This is so refreshing and liberating, that Skyrim stands like a giant amongst hordes of others games that might have better graphics or features, but keep us in a box. Skyrim is what Dragonage should have been. Now let us see if Elder Scrolls Online can bring this same magic. Expand
  52. Jan 28, 2013
    Exploring, crafting and challenging: These are the words i use to describe Skyrim. Last game of TES series; Skyrim, despite doesn't have an epic beginning it has incredibly long and exciting mid-game. About the end; well, literally it doesn't have an end! Above all, Skyrim has several main stories, not only one, besides optional missions. Maybe that's the best part of it. Because,Exploring, crafting and challenging: These are the words i use to describe Skyrim. Last game of TES series; Skyrim, despite doesn't have an epic beginning it has incredibly long and exciting mid-game. About the end; well, literally it doesn't have an end! Above all, Skyrim has several main stories, not only one, besides optional missions. Maybe that's the best part of it. Because, seriously how long do you play a video game? 5 hours? 10 hours? 20 hours? Mostly 40 hours? I have played Skyrim over 200 hours and with new mods coming out day by day, it never becomes boring. Yes! Mods are the second good part of it. With the mods, all atmosphere becomes real, almost comes alive. What makes a game perfect is only the players. And how much you are a good gamer, that much Skyrim is good. If you complain about Skyrim, no offence but you are a bad, impatient and obsessed gamer. If you don't know about the mods, you better learn them immediately. Because with them, a masterpiece of Bethesda, turns out masterpiece of yours. Probably that's what Bethesda wish: Give the chance to players for showing their imaginations. So, if you do have some imagination, you should definitely try Skyrim even though you didn't play previous TES games. Expand
  53. Feb 14, 2013
    Yes, Skyrim has some little contra points like the Console like Inventory and a little bug here and there. But the World of Skyrim will blow your mind away. Countless Dungeons, Keeps and other Stuff to explore. The World is huge, so big you will have to spend 200h+ to explore every location. The Charme and Style of Skyrim creates the best Sandboxgame out there. Gameplayfun is unreached toYes, Skyrim has some little contra points like the Console like Inventory and a little bug here and there. But the World of Skyrim will blow your mind away. Countless Dungeons, Keeps and other Stuff to explore. The World is huge, so big you will have to spend 200h+ to explore every location. The Charme and Style of Skyrim creates the best Sandboxgame out there. Gameplayfun is unreached to this day Thats why i gave a 10. Thank´s Bethesda.
    P.S: Go FO4!!
  54. Feb 16, 2013
    good overall game but your player is a nobody throughout game a thane of all holds but no gratitude for saving world twice if your dragon blood shouldn't you have a new emperor quest. Post civil war there is no moot to name high king, plot holes everywhere dlc not so good should have been in original skyrim except for dragonborn so dragonborn should be the first dlc.
  55. Feb 18, 2013
    Skyrim is the kind of game that makes me totally proud of being a PC gamer. This has got to be one of the greatest games ever. When I was in highschool, Morrowind led to many near-failed grades. Regretful but it was damn worth it! When I was in college, Oblivion led to so many failed grades! Terrible loss and my parents disowned me, but HELL IT WAS WORTH IT! Now I am a working man, ISkyrim is the kind of game that makes me totally proud of being a PC gamer. This has got to be one of the greatest games ever. When I was in highschool, Morrowind led to many near-failed grades. Regretful but it was damn worth it! When I was in college, Oblivion led to so many failed grades! Terrible loss and my parents disowned me, but HELL IT WAS WORTH IT! Now I am a working man, I didn't lose my job because of Skyrim but if I did, IT WOULD STILL BE WORTH IT! Get this game now and you will be reborn! Expand
  56. Mar 22, 2013
    Skyrim would have been a 10/10 but it was pretty buggy on release (though most of those have been cleaned up by this point). This is one of the best games on any platform of all time.
  57. Mar 23, 2013
    this is an medieval, adventure, Explorer, with All the RPG elements possible. a big nice world with a nice map design a lot of gameplay and exploration. i must say the Graphics are amazing and i would have rated it 10 if it wasnt beacause of all the bugs that makes you rage sometimes but still a price potential game i would suggest it to every RPG player and FPS lover you will love it.
  58. Apr 21, 2013
    Skyrim is by far the best single player first person perspective RPG on the planet.

This game offers a ton of freedom to play your character how you want to play it.

I am so glad to have play Skyrim even though I am from Spain and dont speak so good english.
  59. May 10, 2013
    it is a shame that because of the lack of open world large scale games and this being many peoples first rpg warrants a near 100 for a score. This game cannot even be called an RPG and deserves maybe a 75 at best. There is no decision making just like in oblivion, terrible dialogue and linear boring quests and repeatable quests that were even worse, poor loot variety once again includingit is a shame that because of the lack of open world large scale games and this being many peoples first rpg warrants a near 100 for a score. This game cannot even be called an RPG and deserves maybe a 75 at best. There is no decision making just like in oblivion, terrible dialogue and linear boring quests and repeatable quests that were even worse, poor loot variety once again including recycled enchanted weapons from previous elder scrolls games. I expected so much more.. this was the biggest disappointment in gaming of 2011 for me bigger than the massive failure that was star wars the old republic. If your a hard core elder scrolls fan this game is a must. I still played the game for over 60 hours but then grew bored as opposed to my hundreds of hours spent in oblivion. I am an objective rpg fan and the elder scrolls series falls a little short for me with including Skyrim. This game is average at best not stellar. Expand
  60. Dec 20, 2015
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  61. Jun 25, 2013
    Ok lets get to the pros and cons of this game
    Pros: Good Landscapes, Some interesting perks, improved combats, arrows shoot further away unlike Oblivion, lots of places to explore, good lore, lots of things to kill, and you get to make your own stuff.
    Ok lets get to the pros and cons of this game
    Cons: Not that good dlcs, guilds are boring, npcs treat you like even though your saving the world from the dragon crisis, boring side quests, there's three decisions you make in the game join dawnguard or the Harkons vampire cult thingy, join the stormcloacks or the Legion, and kill or not kill Paathurnax), companions don't give you perks or anything which is pointless to have them unlike in fallout new vegas where companions do give you perks and xps, they made arrows weight like nothing but flowers weight more, swords and armors last forever apparently which is stupid, removed lots of spells, and puzzles, difficulty are too easy (expect for legendary mode), you get to live in a dumpy ass house with an annoying follower instead of living in a stronghold or a castle, those bandits are weak when you get in higher levels and don't look so scary or try to intimidate you unlike raiders and bandits for the previous elder scrolls, and you cant fail quests and the quest don't give that much details all its says is go to that place and so forth and they even remove class systems as well and lots of skills what the ****
    Despite most the cons i ll give skyrim a 5/10 and i'm pretty sure there lots of good rpg games out there
  62. Jul 3, 2013
    my complaints are that absolutely broken stealth system and the face that it is too easy to get rich quick in the end I merely adjusted my gameplay and purposely made it financially harder for my self). The "Epic" battles are pitifully small, and the plots are rather short, other than that the game is pretty good, with solid gameplay and an immersive atmosphere that makes it easy to getmy complaints are that absolutely broken stealth system and the face that it is too easy to get rich quick in the end I merely adjusted my gameplay and purposely made it financially harder for my self). The "Epic" battles are pitifully small, and the plots are rather short, other than that the game is pretty good, with solid gameplay and an immersive atmosphere that makes it easy to get into. It gave me many hours of enjoyment. Expand
  63. Aug 21, 2013
    never feel like i am playing a game it's like doing work ...not enjoyble
    very very boring game....point to be notice here
    1. very dull animation
    2. lots of bug &technical error
    3. graphic is not so good too
  64. Sep 2, 2013
    In its own right, Skyrim is a shallow but passable RPG, but compared to previous Elder Scrolls titles it's a huge disappointment. The level of casualization is simply depressing less equipment slots, more linear dungeons, no stats besides health/mana/stamina, less skills etc. The combat is actually a step up from Oblivion, and yet is still very basic and mindless. The first two or threeIn its own right, Skyrim is a shallow but passable RPG, but compared to previous Elder Scrolls titles it's a huge disappointment. The level of casualization is simply depressing less equipment slots, more linear dungeons, no stats besides health/mana/stamina, less skills etc. The combat is actually a step up from Oblivion, and yet is still very basic and mindless. The first two or three dragon fights blew my mind, but it didn't take long to notice the looping patterns every single dragon would follow and how easy it was to exploit that. They soon became a chore. The main questline had a ton of potential but it's just so lacking and by the end I couldn't care less about it. I didn't care for many of the sidequests either, and the much-hyped infinite quests where nothing more than fetch quests. All in all, Skyrim is a nice-looking but barren and shallow sandbox that makes modding a near necessity. Expand
  65. Dec 5, 2013
    This game is alot of fun and I'm a low spec pc gamer, so I never review by graphics, just by how the story is, sound, combat, etc. I haven't been getting any bugs that would break the game or that would make horses fly backwords lol, pretty sure it's there pc that's the problem, also my friend showed me a few neat glitches that you could do in the game.

The combat is wonky, like could

The combat is wonky, like could you display the hitbox and my range that my weapon would be able to make contact with the enemy like how you get from those mmorpg games, which i'm used to so I'm alright with it. The bows however were okay, the melee with it seemed to me to be not very effective like I'm expecting a stagger when I hit someone with it, it would sometimes work tho. Let's not forget about those finishing blows and kill cams which made the combat glories!

I couldn't hear the sound very well since the volume was set on it's low default setting, the music however was unexpectedly great like I didn't go into the tavern just to hear a bard sing, later requesting more from him or her. Also when I started to fight a dragon I began to get all confused at first from the music like is there someone else there with me, it was badass tho once I realized it was just the music playing.

When I first looked at the map I thought it was small, but later kept running into a bunch of quest and caves that would take hours to complete, so now I don't know if I'll ever get anywhere. Awesome exploration easy 10 out of 10 there.

The story was ehh, straightforward. I just focus on what I'm going to around skyrim so I don't really look at the main quest so much.

Gameplay is great, I get to lockpick, steal from people pockets, adopt, and I don't know what else. The races would have there own special talent and the npcs would address you as that race, well I have only done the argonian so I'm unsure about the others.

The score is a 10! Now I may have been to quick to judge since I haven't gotten to far into the game, but this world is just so luminous and you're even able to use mods with would make the fun endless so this game deserves a 10 since this was able to even get my friends addicted.

Knowledge: 2nd Elder Scroll Game (1st was ESO but for a short time) I just started to play the game, 35 hours in so far as an argonian archer w/ only a mod that removed that suffocating sound when emerging from the water.
  66. Dec 31, 2013
    Bethesda once again proves why it dominates western RPGs with the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The world of Skyrim is a beautiful place that makes it easy to get lost in and just dissolve into the world and events. Having played both the console and PC version to great extent, it is obvious that the PC version comes out on top. Not only does the PC version look and perform better, it alsoBethesda once again proves why it dominates western RPGs with the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The world of Skyrim is a beautiful place that makes it easy to get lost in and just dissolve into the world and events. Having played both the console and PC version to great extent, it is obvious that the PC version comes out on top. Not only does the PC version look and perform better, it also has a nigh endless amount of content due to mods that can change things as small as ropes or chains in the environment or as big as making your character a lightsaber-wielding, Elven-armored badass. But, like most Bethesda games, Skyrim has its fair share of bugs and glitches that can sometimes prevent quests from being completed. Overall, though, Skyrim is a must play for any PC gamer. Expand
  67. Apr 26, 2014
    Huge game with bad RPG system.

Huge game with bad RPG system.

This game is enormous and detailed. Apart from other elder scrolls and Fallout 3 series, I think this is the only game that allowed me to interact with the game world at such level of detail. I can pick up a mug in a tavern or enter some random NPC's house and steal everything. The world is living and breathing, with NPCs striking random dialogues with each other, bandits grumbling about the hardships of bandit life, etc .

Voice acting, visuals are all top notch. There's basic physics.

Sure, there is lot's to do, and after 3 playthroughs, I don't think I ever finished the dragonborn or civil war plotlines.

And here comes my biggest gripe with the game - the bad RPG system. I played just about every western RPG since 1998, and Skyrim is just bad. Having only health, stamina and magicka along with armor means that just about every melee or ranged character feels the same. Dodge-block-hit, thousands of time throughout the game create a very dull feeling of combat.

Without the 10 primary skill system from Oblivion, the character levels up too fast, where a single dungeon may mean 1-2 level ups. This means that a lot of content, like goblins (do they exist)? or Skeevers is just gone. Very quickly all dungeons are populated with bandits with elven weaponry, then Adept necromancers, then vampires in ebony armor. The entire world levels up just because I have sold some items to a vendor and levelled up my speech skill.

With no way to degrade or lose armor, the player quickly acquires the best pieces of armor and weaponry available, which creates a dungeon crawling experience where I don't care about the loot. There's nothing in this dungeon that can come even close to my own crafted/enchanted/improved armor and weapons. Everything is vendor trash, and apart from the trainers there aren't really that many money sinks in this game for me to spend end game gold.

Very soon my character becomes godlike in it's ability to slay everything that stands in its way. Sure, I can bump the difficulty all the way up to legendary, but this only makes combat feels worse. Instead of killing an enemy with 3 hits, I can dance around it for 2 minutes, slowly chipping away at it's health. Not really that fun.
  68. May 27, 2015
    Skyrim is the hugest TES and Bethesda has continued improving its toolset making the Creation Kit the best of the whole saga, there are more than 30.000 mods to improve each single aspect so if you don't like the game, no problem, change it! and you will have the game of your dreams. I have only one gripe and is a big one: outdated graphics; it basically looks like Oblivion with mods...Skyrim is the hugest TES and Bethesda has continued improving its toolset making the Creation Kit the best of the whole saga, there are more than 30.000 mods to improve each single aspect so if you don't like the game, no problem, change it! and you will have the game of your dreams. I have only one gripe and is a big one: outdated graphics; it basically looks like Oblivion with mods...

We know that mods can do everything but improve graphics is the hardest job, of course Skyrim has the best graphics enhancer mods but could be even better with a solid game-base. I really hope Fallout 4 and TES VI with, literally, outstanding graphics. Bethesda must understand that their sandboxes worth for modding, history is literally secondary and RPG system is just not solid, but when you start to feed it with mods... oh man... the game shines in each corner, I don't get tired to walk those gorgeous landscapes, fight better random encounters, make my own home, armor and weapons... Great game Bethesda, just keep in mind that if you provide us with a great graphic base, we can do the rest much easier with mods to have the game of our dreams.
  69. Nov 10, 2015
    Better graphics then Fallout 4 69/10 . a
  70. Nov 13, 2015
    This game has a lot of flaws that Bethesda games tend to have, being immersion the most notorious in my opinion. Magic system feels bland, most perks are boring, especialization tends to always be either sword and shield or sneak based. Combat is dull and difficulty is very artificial, and graphics weren't that good even for 2011.
    And despite having quite a lot of flaws, it's still a very
    And despite having quite a lot of flaws, it's still a very fun game, with hours and hours of gameplay and different stories. It's a must play if you like RPG's. Sadly Bethesda games don't age well and nowadays it remains fun if you mod it
  71. Nov 14, 2015
    This game has its flaws, but gameplay, world design, quests, modding, etc. sends it right back up to a 10! It takes some time to get into it, but when you do, it's the best game ever. I have 650+ hrs logged, and it's my favorite game of all time!
  72. Mar 26, 2016
    This is what you call an open-world game. You go anywhere and do anything. As you explore the different areas, you'll see npcs doing their chores, going to bed at night, living out their day-to-day lives, wild creatures, fishes in the water, bandits, everything.. And DRAGONS!!! The world is alive!! The world is so beautiful. A truly immersive experience you wouldn't want to miss. It is aThis is what you call an open-world game. You go anywhere and do anything. As you explore the different areas, you'll see npcs doing their chores, going to bed at night, living out their day-to-day lives, wild creatures, fishes in the water, bandits, everything.. And DRAGONS!!! The world is alive!! The world is so beautiful. A truly immersive experience you wouldn't want to miss. It is a much more in depth open-world as compared to newer games like Fallout 4, or the not-so-open world games like MGSV and The Witcher 3. Play good or bad. Join the thieves guild or be an assassin with the Dark Brotherhood. Play with magic or swing your sword while running around like a crazy person. You can get married or adopt a child. It's all entirely up to you!!.

When you are given a quest, it's up to you on how you want to approach the situation. You want to fight everyone, you can. Sneak pass and play stealth, Yup. Set up traps, go archer? Magical spell so you can feel like Harry Porter or whatever? Or you might be even lucky enough to talk your way through in some cases. All is possible. Everything rarely feels scripted or linear and It doesn't demand that you approach it the way they want you to (ie MGSV and TW3). Story and side quests are mostly well written. It requires quite a few decision making and your decisions actually do change the world. It's bizarre. Characters are well designed too. The armour, the weapons are sooo awesome. They look nice and feel nice. Crafting is so addictive. Do not leave them out when playing this game. Music is nice (though I think Oblivion has better music). You can create your own character, male or female, have different races to choose from (not forced to play as random old man). And mods!!! The mods add so much. The graphics mod will make this game better looking than games lots of newer games.

Overall, Skyrim is a game on a different level. It's the ultimate game to date that doesn't feel outdated in terms of the gameplay. Slap on a graphics mod and you will have the ultimate package. More than 500 hours spent on this game. Best! 10 out of 10!!
  73. Nov 1, 2016
    Since Skyrim´s coming back via the remastered version, I wanted to share my experience with the original here. I don´t get the overwhelmingly hype around that game. It´s ok, it´s playable. It had its moments. But that´s it for me. I´ve played Morrowind, Oblivion and the Fallout Games and I´m aware of Bethesda´s way of life, that´s for sure. Skyrim managed to impress me at first. ManySince Skyrim´s coming back via the remastered version, I wanted to share my experience with the original here. I don´t get the overwhelmingly hype around that game. It´s ok, it´s playable. It had its moments. But that´s it for me. I´ve played Morrowind, Oblivion and the Fallout Games and I´m aware of Bethesda´s way of life, that´s for sure. Skyrim managed to impress me at first. Many improvements compared to its predecessors. There were many good things about Skyrim - but as many bad things as well. I liked the story and the graphics design, well and lovely designed. I liked the quest system. But the overall graphics? White, white and more white (and pale brown), kinda monotonous, lifeless and depressing world/colors. There were some major bugs which prevented me from progressing the main quest (some door couldn´t be opened, and a vampire bit could only be undone by starting a completely new game/char) The controls/menu were poorly ported to PCs and it took time for a good menu-mod to be available. Just like the Fallout 4 PC controls - they simply suck. One of Bethesda`s big issues... graphical improvements mods required a high end rig. I´ve sat through the game once, it was entertaining enough not to stop before. I never intended to play it again. Expand
  74. Feb 6, 2012
    Just an overrated game. The old graphic engine unfortunately is not the worst feature: AI is 15 years old and the level of challenge of this game is zero. In fact enemies can't do anything else except to run to you in straight line, eventually throwing arrows or spells which are too easy to dodge. The easiest and worst adventure against decrepit zombies NPCs I've ever played.
  75. Nov 12, 2011
    Skyrim is an incredible game. It offers millions of choices in what you want to do, who you want your character to be, and where you want to go. Ive happily spent my first 5 hours breaking into many npc houses and stealing all their ware's. And ive been able to level up on just sneaking, lockpicking, and pick pocketing alone. It is very similar to oblivion in the sense that you get betterSkyrim is an incredible game. It offers millions of choices in what you want to do, who you want your character to be, and where you want to go. Ive happily spent my first 5 hours breaking into many npc houses and stealing all their ware's. And ive been able to level up on just sneaking, lockpicking, and pick pocketing alone. It is very similar to oblivion in the sense that you get better at what you want to do by doing it. You feel very in control of your character's strengths and weaknesses. No choosing a spec, if you want to be better at archery, then shoot some arrows at stuff. I have no problem whatsoever with the games visuals. Not quite witcher 2 but they look far better than oblivion did . Sure if i zoom in all the way i can see the textures are lowish. but as i move through the world the entire environment the grass, trees mountains and mist. the overall world is the most imersive and believable gaming world i have ever seen and runs at a steady 60fps. Skyrim was not a game i was really that excited for but it quickly became one of my favorite games ever. Expand
  76. Nov 12, 2011
    Just a beautiful, much more polished game than Oblivion. A joy to play that gives the feeling of great freedom. Really makes you want to explore everything and all the character possiblities. Magic is much more entertaining and appealing now. Thanks Bethesda for creating a timeless game once again. I can´t imagine how good it is going to be once the modders start doing their thing.
  77. Mar 10, 2012
    Bethesda continues to re-release Daggerfall with fewer features and better graphics. I could talk at length about the boring combat, the poor levelling system, the stupid quest lines, the horrendous UI, the gruelling first two hours of play and other flaws but I could forgive all of that if Bethesda learned to write a single interesting character. Everything about the characters from theirBethesda continues to re-release Daggerfall with fewer features and better graphics. I could talk at length about the boring combat, the poor levelling system, the stupid quest lines, the horrendous UI, the gruelling first two hours of play and other flaws but I could forgive all of that if Bethesda learned to write a single interesting character. Everything about the characters from their voice acting and dialogue trees to the way we see them interacting is just plain boring. It's really hard to give a damn about the world when it's populated by soulless robots and the combat/grinding experience just isn't good enough to redeem the terrible world building.

Skyrim is nothing but a fad and whilst there aren't many things I can point to as being physically painful there really is no reason to play this game. Props to Bethesda's marketing department.
  78. Mar 7, 2012
    Story could be better, combat is extremely slow paced compared to the other TES series, didn't even give me 100+ hours of gameplay. Really this game is too repetitive, I don't see how others can stand this game. The TES series have been going downhill, hopefully Fallout 4 won't be a failure like Skyrim; I don't think even 1000 mods can save Skyrim.
  79. Mar 26, 2012
    Absolutely the best RPG in terms of technical achievement to date. Don't mind the haters - notice how on all the best YouTube videos, there are always a couple hundred dislikes? Those are the same morons who give Skyrim a bad review.
  80. Nov 11, 2011
    I don't know where the complaints are coming from. I'm playing on PC and it has been flawless for 6 hours. Weapon switching is fine. If you have a problem with it, you probably aren't using the favourites menu. There is so much to do in this game. Graphics are great, and perform great on my slowly aging once-awesome computer. NO MORE TOMATO-HEADS. I really don't see any signs of it being aI don't know where the complaints are coming from. I'm playing on PC and it has been flawless for 6 hours. Weapon switching is fine. If you have a problem with it, you probably aren't using the favourites menu. There is so much to do in this game. Graphics are great, and perform great on my slowly aging once-awesome computer. NO MORE TOMATO-HEADS. I really don't see any signs of it being a bad port. Controls are just fine. Some people just LIKE to complain I guess. Oh well, no one really gives a s___ about Metacritic community reviews. Everyone outside of this community know that you all complain about stupid things. Expand
  81. Nov 12, 2011
    Skyrim is brilliant. It improves on Oblivion in every way possible. I really like the new menus and while they may not be perfect, they're still unbelievably better than the ones in Oblivion. I've played 20 hours so far. Mostly the main story with a minimal amount of side quests and almost no exploring. The story so far (reckon I'm getting towards the end) is brilliant and even better thanSkyrim is brilliant. It improves on Oblivion in every way possible. I really like the new menus and while they may not be perfect, they're still unbelievably better than the ones in Oblivion. I've played 20 hours so far. Mostly the main story with a minimal amount of side quests and almost no exploring. The story so far (reckon I'm getting towards the end) is brilliant and even better than Oblivion's fantastic story. Gameplay is amazing, with the new spellcasting system seeing the largest improvement. Melee combat hasn't really changed or improved much but duel-wielding is a big plus. The new levelling and skills/perks system is fantastic. Classes and skills seem so pointless now and it makes far more sense to just naturally develop your character as you play. There are some bugs here and there but they're small and nothing really breaks the game. I've encountered about five crashes and a few instances where talking to an NPC to hand in or start a quest didn't work and I had to reload. These should get patched and they're not so bad. I'd say the only thing that really is sub-standard would be the graphics. Pete Hines of Bethesda said the PC graphics would "blow your mind" and they haven't at all. Bethesda also said that they author their textures really high res. The textures are terrible and are really the only downside to the game. Most of them aren't much better than Oblivion and look like a game from years ago. The snow textures on rock or stone are by far the worst and look like they're 100x100 pixels. The lighting in non-dynamic so interiors are lit by non-existant light sources. Object meshes are also pretty bad and look extremely dated and jaggy. On a positive note, the art design is absolutely fantastic. Everything about the world is immersing and the environmental effects are so damn good. The best environmental effects are the snow and fog. It makes you feel cold and the graphics of these effects are actually very very good even compared to other games. The engine doesn't perform very well and I have a suspicion that it doesn't support mutiple graphics cards. I have an i7 930, GTX 460 1Gb SLi and 6Gb DDR3 RAM and I couldn't run this game at maximum settings without some lag. I had to drop shadows down to high plus a few other things. Considering my computer can run Battlefield 3 on high/ultra at 1080p this is pretty badly optimised imo. People's faces are a huge improvement over Oblivion, but NPC running/combat animations can sometimes be terrible and their pathfinding and overall intelligence isn't very good. Despite all the bad things I've mentioned, it's the gameplay, and not the graphics, that count. It is in my opinion the best RPG made to date, partly because it's my style of RPG, but also because the story, gameplay and art/level design are so well done. Expand
  82. Nov 12, 2011
    *Foreword*: I must observe that those other User Reviews which are denigrating Skyrim mostly consist of complaints as to the game's supposed inoperability or bugginess: To those poorly-worded souls I wish a fortunate encounter with basic PC maintenance knowledge. / This game is an achievement in both richness of narrative and environmental ambience. The Elder Scrolls franchise comes*Foreword*: I must observe that those other User Reviews which are denigrating Skyrim mostly consist of complaints as to the game's supposed inoperability or bugginess: To those poorly-worded souls I wish a fortunate encounter with basic PC maintenance knowledge. / This game is an achievement in both richness of narrative and environmental ambience. The Elder Scrolls franchise comes complete with a 4 Era back-story, and Skyrim takes full advantage of it, providing a truly immersive first person experience. The story is fluid enough that a player can wander into sidequests freely, and yet with an engaging momentum which means you'll soon be back at it. Without giving too much away, the player is Dovahkiin, Dragonborne, with the special ability to weild The Voice of dragons. It feels exhaustive to repeat the praise that the Internet has been declaring for days now, so I'll let's move on to the tech. I've had the fortune to avoid any such problems with playing the game on my PC, except in its functionality with Steam-- Steam's screenshot function seems to crash the game during execution animations (which by the way, are quite lifelike). Even the XBOX 360 version, said to have lower resolution in-game textures, looks great. And all at a neat 5.5GB Harddrive space. I think I've stated my case, so I'll close in saying that if you want to play, you ought to pay. Cash, folks, Bethesda has earned yours. Expand
  83. Dec 1, 2011
    Incredible graphics, great story, fun combat, immersive environments, what can I say that you don't already know? It has its fair share of bugs and problems as any Bethesda game does (and really any game of this magnitude) but it more than makes up for it in creativity, depth, and the sheer amount of content included in in the game.
  84. Nov 20, 2011
    Simly put: the pros outweigh the cons. Biggest pro: Aesthetics. Biggest con: Magic Constrictions. Theres more if you're willing to read. I will start by saying my vote is based on a scale of 0-10, 0 meaning "unplayable", 5 equal to Oblivion (not inherently bad, just to compare Skyrim respectively), and 6+ is an overall improvement from Oblivion. Voice Acting (+1) has been greatly improvedSimly put: the pros outweigh the cons. Biggest pro: Aesthetics. Biggest con: Magic Constrictions. Theres more if you're willing to read. I will start by saying my vote is based on a scale of 0-10, 0 meaning "unplayable", 5 equal to Oblivion (not inherently bad, just to compare Skyrim respectively), and 6+ is an overall improvement from Oblivion. Voice Acting (+1) has been greatly improved from 12 to 70+ actors, meaning you can play longer before you are driven insane by the repetitive voice of Jauffre. Aesthetics (+2) are greatly improved over Oblivion. The map itself is slightly smaller than Oblivion, but it's designed to feel 4x bigger, and it does. Filled with flowing creeks, ice caps, mountains, snow, and A LOT more. Graphics (+1) are improved, not by much tho. It looks better, for sure, but that's thanks to the aesthetics. As for clarity and detail of models, it's only a slight, but noticeable improvement. Skills (+1) have a better setup. Many people like that the skills were directly related to your use of them like in Oblivion, but perks make the game feel more survival/strategic based. They're done nicely. Professions (+1) are a wonderful addition that are a tie between skills and aesthetics, but is prominent enought to be listed as its own plus. While the only real mechanical upside of professions relates to smithing, it's still wonderful to be able to chop wood, mine ores, smelt ores, and so on to improve your gear. Dragons (+0) are an interesting replacement to Oblivion Gates. That's exactly what they are, a replacement. While epic within the story line, and fun to battle with their random characteristics, they are also as repetitive as Oblivion Gates. No matter how epic they are, I find myself only wanting to kill them only for their souls, but after the first 10, it starts to get old. That's why it's a plus zero, cause they're epic, but repetitive. Number of Places (+1) have been increased by about double, and to top it off you never feel like you explore the same place twice, unlike Oblivion. Magic (-2) has been drastically reduced... I'm not sure the number of spells in either game, but I do know they REALLY trimmed magic. They completely did away with Mysticism, and got rid of the ability to craft spells. Bethesda combated the lack of spells with the ability to dual wield spells, but it's not enough... They dropped the ball on this one. User Interface (-1) has always been a core downside for Bethesda's most recent games, even on consoles. Now I have a gamepad, so this isn't a personal downside for me, but I will say that I only use the gamepad because I could not get used to the controls on my keyboard. So, to summarize, Oblivion is a 5 on the scale (not inherently bad, just to compare Skyrim respectively), and the improvements include Voice Acting +1 (6), Aesthetics +2 (8), Graphics +1 (9), Skills +1 (10), Professions +1 (11), Dragons +0 (11), Places +1 (12), and the downsides: Magic -2 (10), and UI -1 (9), so overall Skyrim is a +4 compared to Oblivion. Expand
  85. Oct 7, 2013
    Good game but from an RPG I expected more. Quests aren't particularly creative. NPC dialogues and are okay but could of been better. The other problem I have with this game is that there is so much space but so little in regards to what's actually in it. The level-up system was simplified to health, mana and stamina. Weight is problematic sadly, you can hold barely anything heavy and youGood game but from an RPG I expected more. Quests aren't particularly creative. NPC dialogues and are okay but could of been better. The other problem I have with this game is that there is so much space but so little in regards to what's actually in it. The level-up system was simplified to health, mana and stamina. Weight is problematic sadly, you can hold barely anything heavy and you cannot increase strength. It improves on some aspects which other Elder Scrolls games lacked but in return loses a bit here and there but I'd say overall it's a step up as a modernized version. Expand
  86. Feb 13, 2012
    This is for the starting out gamer, Who have come out of there camp hole and decided "i will expand my horizon". They get told play skyrim, And believe wow nothing is like this at all.

Then the usual players of such games as Morrowind and Oblivion and fallout 3, Come out of the anticipation hole and are in dying need to love this game, And say they do. Well don't it repetitive, boring

Well don't it repetitive, boring and dam right rubbish. I did not feel my character got better or did i feel he had gained 16 levels. Felt like some kind of unfinished game. As for the bugs well, I won't go into that.

I felt it was not for me, If you love it keep loving, But in reality against other games of its genre and even alot older games. It's terrible.
  87. May 5, 2012
    Advantages: 1. Fresh storyline. 2. Nice landscapes and one breathtaking, huuuuge cave. 3. Nice animations. Disadvantages: 1. Becomes boring after a few hours. 2. Morrowind was more interesting, attractive and mysterious. 3. Fewer and fewer skills etc. makes it too simple. 4. Too easy (every character, also wrong-trained can easily finish almost every quest). 5. Bad skill balance (stealthAdvantages: 1. Fresh storyline. 2. Nice landscapes and one breathtaking, huuuuge cave. 3. Nice animations. Disadvantages: 1. Becomes boring after a few hours. 2. Morrowind was more interesting, attractive and mysterious. 3. Fewer and fewer skills etc. makes it too simple. 4. Too easy (every character, also wrong-trained can easily finish almost every quest). 5. Bad skill balance (stealth and short blade is much stronger that the most powerful magic). 6. I had an impression that 80% of games music was Morrowind remakes and remixes. 7. Too little variety of... everything? 8. Console-like interface (irritating as hell!). 9. Bugs, bugs, buuuuugs! 10. ... and chips with cola to crown it all. Expand
  88. Nov 11, 2011
    I am a long-time fan of the Elder Scrolls games, so I was naturally a little cautious about Skyrim since it was being developed primarily for a console. But, despite the obvious console bias in terms of UI and controls, I think this is an excellent game. The atmosphere and art direction coupled with the ambient sounds and music are used to great effect, really immersing you in this coldI am a long-time fan of the Elder Scrolls games, so I was naturally a little cautious about Skyrim since it was being developed primarily for a console. But, despite the obvious console bias in terms of UI and controls, I think this is an excellent game. The atmosphere and art direction coupled with the ambient sounds and music are used to great effect, really immersing you in this cold northern landscape full of beautiful vistas and .hidden dangers. Many game-play elements have been simplified and improved on, although I was kind of disapointed that spell crafting never made it into the game. Nevertheless, spell-casting feels more spontaneous and intuitive than before. The only bugs I've experienced were a little bit of unexplained lag and some trouble with dual-casting spells, but now everything is fine. Compared to Oblivion, Morrowind and Fallout 3, Skyrim really doesn't have many bugs at launch.
    Any of the so-called problems with the pc version can and mostly likely will be dealt with in the growing number of mods being released in the following weeks. What is already a great game at the core will just get better and better over time for pc users.

Oh, and fighting a non-scripted dragon out in the plains on a dark night with the beautiful northern lights overhead is one of my best gaming moments of 2011. Thank you, Bethesda.
  89. Nov 11, 2011
    I just want to say that this game is head and shoulders above Oblivion. Part of the reason I love this game so much is the fact that I've died numerous times already. I started playing this game like I played Oblivion or Fallout 3, just charging through, trying to tank dragon's like I did Behemoths, and it's not working, it's forcing me to step it up! I feel ENORMOUS satisfaction afterI just want to say that this game is head and shoulders above Oblivion. Part of the reason I love this game so much is the fact that I've died numerous times already. I started playing this game like I played Oblivion or Fallout 3, just charging through, trying to tank dragon's like I did Behemoths, and it's not working, it's forcing me to step it up! I feel ENORMOUS satisfaction after taking down a dragon: definitively the highlight of my playthrough so far.

I have only one problem with it. The PC version doesn't have enough tweaks to the graphics settings for my liking (I feel Fallout 3 and New Vegas had more.) I had to go into the .ini file itself to tweak it. I have to do this because I don't have that great of a graphics card, but even on these tweaked low settings, the game still looks and plays amazing!

After the fiasco that Bethesda had with Id's RAGE, they certainly delivered big to keep up their own great reputation! I've also encountered far less bugs than in previous Gamebryo engined titles, so the Creation Engine rocks!
    Thank you Bethesda for delivering on your promises!
  90. Nov 12, 2011
    this game is so awesome. great improvements all around. yeah a few bugs but i am sure the bugs will be worked out. such an awesome game. love the new combat and crafting system
  91. LMW
    Nov 12, 2011
    I never liked TES series (except Daggerfall). It seemed to me these games didn't have enough atmosphere, dynamics and storyline depth. I almost entirely skipped Oblivion - it wasn't "my" game, let's say. I was pretty sceptical about Skyrim - first-person orientated RPG from the same game developer in the same universe...bah. But everything dimmed when I dived into the depths of Skyrim. II never liked TES series (except Daggerfall). It seemed to me these games didn't have enough atmosphere, dynamics and storyline depth. I almost entirely skipped Oblivion - it wasn't "my" game, let's say. I was pretty sceptical about Skyrim - first-person orientated RPG from the same game developer in the same universe...bah. But everything dimmed when I dived into the depths of Skyrim. I was amazed from the very beginning by dynamical combat system, gorgeous and enormous world, full of events that happen regardless of player, marvelous dungeons and many, many other things. Doing one of the first quests I was told to go to the snowy mountains and investigate the dungeon. I took a horse (horses animation is great, by the way) and galloped to my destination point. When I was near, blizzard has started and it became harder to follow our path. It was quiet high up in the mountains and I was impressed how scary it was to look down. At the same time, it was magnificently spellbinding to watch so realistic and epic picture! What a marvelous view! Then I left my horse near the entrance and deepened into the dungeon...But that is another epic story! Once again, I was sceptical about this title from the very beginning. But don't let prejudice and stereotypes hold you from trying this masterpiece. Just try it and you would not regret it. It is worth every single $. Expand
  92. Nov 12, 2011
    Most of the complaints people here are spouting out don't really seem to be justified (or accurate). Yes, Skyrim has some bugs but not nearly enough to take you out of the game experience. Due to the shear scope of games today, bugs are bound to happen but at least Bethesda will patch them and if not, the modding community is huge. It works perfectly on my PC and I've had very littleMost of the complaints people here are spouting out don't really seem to be justified (or accurate). Yes, Skyrim has some bugs but not nearly enough to take you out of the game experience. Due to the shear scope of games today, bugs are bound to happen but at least Bethesda will patch them and if not, the modding community is huge. It works perfectly on my PC and I've had very little issues in terms of game bugs. The graphics are good and the environment is great. After spending over 15 hours playing, I can safely say I spent my money wisely. Expand
  93. Nov 13, 2011
    Fantastic~!!!! Great Graphics(ultra of course). Amazing story with an almost unlimited amount to do and see. I have been playing for a few days it just keeps getting better. The side quests are original and fun with twists and turns~! I am a die hard RPG guy and this might beat my favorite all time; Baldur's Gate, for the new best game title~! Well done Bethesda. Well done.
  94. Nov 14, 2011
    Skyrim improves on all the shortcomings of Oblivion -- the combat system feels a bit more involved, with melee combo's being a key focus, but the main improvement has been in the way magic plays out. The options are limitless and leaves the player with the ultimate choice of how they would like to play the game. Levelling system is a direct reflection of this too! This is a completelySkyrim improves on all the shortcomings of Oblivion -- the combat system feels a bit more involved, with melee combo's being a key focus, but the main improvement has been in the way magic plays out. The options are limitless and leaves the player with the ultimate choice of how they would like to play the game. Levelling system is a direct reflection of this too! This is a completely different game to the woeful Oblivion. Expand
  95. Nov 14, 2011
    Yes the game is buggy, has outdated graphics, and a pretty bad weapon/spell switching system that feels like it was designed completely for consoles with no thought of pc in mind.........The question is, does any of this matter when I'm running around dual wielding flames of death? Or turning into a werewolf and biting the heads off my foes? Does it matter when I'm running for my life fromYes the game is buggy, has outdated graphics, and a pretty bad weapon/spell switching system that feels like it was designed completely for consoles with no thought of pc in mind.........The question is, does any of this matter when I'm running around dual wielding flames of death? Or turning into a werewolf and biting the heads off my foes? Does it matter when I'm running for my life from a pack of wooly mammoths and the angry giant herders? Do you think a crappy interface matters when I call down a dragon to snatch up that very same giant and drop him from 500 feet in the air? Do you think the tiny bugs really matter when I'm exploring a huge underground area that has a town full of enemies and pretty glowing mushrooms? You still don't know????? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU GO BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  96. Nov 14, 2011
    In what other game could you be fighting off two polar bears on an ice cap in the far north only to be interrupted by a dragon which swoops down, picks up one polar bear, flies 100 feet in the air and drops it on the other and then attacks you but loses because you are Dovahkiin.

That's what I thought
  97. Nov 14, 2011
    If you are an idiot who can't figure out how to shortcut hotkey items and spells in Skyrim, please refrain from rating this game, sell your PC and go buy an Xbox 360.
  98. Nov 15, 2011
    Hard to give anything other than a ten for a game I have already put over 40 hours into. The only grumble I have is with the UI which is console friendly but there will be mods released if they have not done so already to rectify this. Next time though Bethesda should make a little bit of effort to do a separate PC UI. Other than that Skyrim is utterly engrossing and to call the game bigHard to give anything other than a ten for a game I have already put over 40 hours into. The only grumble I have is with the UI which is console friendly but there will be mods released if they have not done so already to rectify this. Next time though Bethesda should make a little bit of effort to do a separate PC UI. Other than that Skyrim is utterly engrossing and to call the game big is a massive understatement. I have only scratched the surface and I have not even joined one of the guilds yet as I have yet to find them. If there is one game worth the money then this is definitely it. Literally hundreds of hours of game play is here so be prepared to say goodbye to the outside world. Expand
  99. Nov 15, 2011
    Fantastic game. It deserves GOTY in my opinion. It does has some bugs and limited dialogue but everything else seems great to me. It is heaps better Morrowind and Oblivion which I didn't like at all. Give it a chance and it can be an addictive and highly enjoyable game.
  100. Nov 22, 2011
    Looked at dispassionately, Skyrim offers a by-the-numbers fantasy experience: you're a questin' hero looking to pick fights with dragons, slaying bandits and randomly spawning beasts, casting spells, and wielding a range of medieval weapons, all while listening to reams of mildly interesting dialog. At first glance, it doesn't offer the highly imaginitive and truly otherworldly feelingLooked at dispassionately, Skyrim offers a by-the-numbers fantasy experience: you're a questin' hero looking to pick fights with dragons, slaying bandits and randomly spawning beasts, casting spells, and wielding a range of medieval weapons, all while listening to reams of mildly interesting dialog. At first glance, it doesn't offer the highly imaginitive and truly otherworldly feeling landscapes of Morrowind. Its console roots are evident. And, it being a Bethesda game, you were expecting some bugs. Right ?

Even after the broad praise on release, I wasn't convinced Skyrim could topple Morrowind as my #1 RPG on the PC, and initially held off on buying it.

Now, 30 hours play crammed into three days later, its obvious to me that Skyrim has raised the bar for PC RPG's well above the competition: this is a remarkable game. Not so much for its choices, but for how beautifully it implements those choices. The landscapes are truly remarkable, perhaps for the first time offering a world which feels real instead of like a semi-random patchwork of locations. This really is a small country in a box, and it is a remarkable achievement in itself. Idylic villages, huge and imposing castles, haunted burial mounds, standing stones and impromptu altars to various gods, dungeons big and small, dreary plains, towering mountains and narrow mountain passes: all of it great to look at, travel through and explore. The main quest so far has been solid and quite engaging, offering just the right mix of challenge and hero (you) worship. You feel important, but not overpowered.

Character progression is great, focussing on (the use of) skills, not on simply leveling (even though you do level), and the number of available options is staggering, offering a talent tree on all the many skills and schools of magic which really gives you the option to craft a character to your tastes.

Sound is top-notch, including the dynamic soundtrack.

Sure, I have some criticisms: the GUI could stand a couple of major and minor improvements, although I don't find it quite as bad as others have made it out to be. The voice acting is mostly competent, even pretty good in places, but it's also tacky in others - and some NPC's I wouldn't mind murdering just to get rid of their repetitive and trite oneliners. There are some graphical glitches. I've had a couple of crashes to the desktop - nothing so bad as Fallout 3 / New Vegas, though - in fact, I find this to be the most stable Bethesda game to date. Also, character animation is far from perfect.

So is Morrowing finally surpassed ? In a word: yes. Even though the world might appear less imaginative than Morrowind's, this one simply feels more real and offers a ton of rewards to the intrepid explorer. It's hard to get anything done, because it's so very easy to get distracted by any number of things found en route to a quest objective. Many of the quests have an adult theme, require an uncomfortable compromise, or simply offer irresistibly 'evil' choices with enjoyably disturbing consequences.

Skyrim is Bethesda's best yet and easily takes a spot amongst the best RPG's ever.

1. Feb 29, 2012
  2. Feb 14, 2012
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012