8.2

1. Mar 21, 2014
    I think this game is ok. Not amazing, not bad. However here are my problems with the game: Walking is too slow, running is too fast. The PC controls for lockpicking are bad. However the overall game isn't bad. Also there are parts in the game you can exploit so you can finish the game quick.
  2. Feb 8, 2015
    A little disappointing and over rated

PROS
    -Amazing Graphics
    -Realistic gameplay

CONS
    -Slow gameplay
    -A little boring
    -Too many options to choose from
  3. Dec 23, 2014
    Despite my complaints, Skyrim is easily the best game on the shelf until you fast forward 3 years to get Divinity Original Sin. Like previous Elder Scrolls games, the world is gargantuan and the graphics really look great albeit that does not drive my score. Voice acting is good. Story is acceptable and combat is tolerable albeit still not great.

What I liked: + Exploration. Best

What I liked:

+ Exploration. Best open world game since Morrowind and you can do a lot of things from stealing everything to owning most of every town.

+ I love finding unique items and displaying them in my home. They are my trophies.

+ As stated above, voice acting was good. People need to get a perspective and compare it to most games in the genre and previous games. Have you people actually played console jRPGs? They are a travesty in comparison and they are all considered 'ok,' by many reviewers.

+ Spells are still fun despite lack in variety. I like blowing things up.

There are a few things I do not like about Skyrim:

- Shameless dumbing down of what used to be awesome (Morrowind)... fewer spells, less enchanting options (and easier to get high level enchants), and fewer types of weapons and armor. Less variety = less fun. Yes it makes the game easier to balance, but who cares in a single player game? I dont. I want to play the way I want. Its an open world game right?

- I hate the inventory system. Its slow, and cumbersome. Clearly it is a console downgrade for people who use a pad. The lack of respect for the PC platform that popularized the series is really disheartening.

- AI is still as bad as previous games. Enemies keep getting stuck and you can easily defeat them by hopping onto a rock and then off... hilarious for the 1st hour, very disappointing after that.

- Combat is still disappointingly shallow. They can really take a lesson from Witcher here, not that it is a work of genius, but it is much better than combat here. This has been an ongoing problem with all ES games.

- Economy... lol what economy? You basically own the world in this game. Very dull and was also a weakness in previous ES games. It still has not been addressed and I am very disappointed.

- Claw puzzles... are lame. These are not really puzzles. No brain required.
  4. Mar 30, 2013
    Skyrim is clearly overated. The biggest fantasy of all is that Bethesda is a studio that 'knows' and 'loves' RPGs. Oblivion was A LOT MORE FUN. If you disagree go back and try it. Skyrim is a hollow shell of a game with only a single great feature: The WORLD. The rock structures the plants and the weather of Skyrim are all brilliant. The fish in the streams, the butterlies in the air.Skyrim is clearly overated. The biggest fantasy of all is that Bethesda is a studio that 'knows' and 'loves' RPGs. Oblivion was A LOT MORE FUN. If you disagree go back and try it. Skyrim is a hollow shell of a game with only a single great feature: The WORLD. The rock structures the plants and the weather of Skyrim are all brilliant. The fish in the streams, the butterlies in the air. AWESOME work. well done Bethesda. Sadly its ALL DOWNHILL from there. Skyrim boasts '300' unique locations. Well its more like 4 really, all copypasted and tweaked to be 'different' but they dont feel different. You might enjoy your first draugr ruin, but running through nearly identical ruins over and over again looses its luster soon enough. And it becomes incredibly tedius before you have levelled up even your first character. Character development in this game hits NEW LOWS. For a company that is supposed to 'know and love RPGs', how can it be that with each new game levelling your character becomes more tedius and BORING. The character levelling system in this game is TERRIBLE. Choosing between 'red' 'green' or 'blue' when you level is TERRIBLE. And from the studio that 'knows and loves RPGs the magic system is also TERRIBLE. The mellee combat, hit detection, and double-wielding mellee options are all TERRIBLE! Go Bethesda! The studio may be famed as 'knowing and loving RPGs', but is an abiding mystery why they think they can create immortal games without HIRING ANY WRITERS. You got that right. Click on the credits for the game, read it and weep. When you are playing the game you might notice how dull, boring, repetive and tedious it all is. You might notice that every single quest is a pale version of something you saw before in Oblivion or Morrowind. You might awaken to the fact that the 'endless questing' is a lie, no fun at all. Check the credits to blame the writers. THERE ARE NONE. that's right. Bethesda is so hard up for money that the 3D artists who built their 4 dungeons and the 20 physical assets they dump in every single room in the land double-up as scenario writers. And if you think the side quests are bad watch out! The main quest is WORSE. it's probably the most pathetic excuse for a story dumped into a game in the last decade! It's ever worse than Fallout 3 (Which is overall a much better game than this one by the way). Not only that. This game is totally lacking in terms of the kinds of magical or legendary items we usually associate with RPGs. The only vaguely interesting items to find are tied into the Daedric Quests. These quests are an assorted grab bag of sheer nihilism and ammoral garbage which will demand you please the 'whims of the gods, doing such role playing classics as eating human flesh and murdering strangers in order to get the blessings of the god'. Nice work Bethesda! (NOT!) So if you can endure a dreadful character system, boring combat, boring 'adventures, terrible magic, non-existant plots, a game that in all areas is inferior to both Morrowind and Oblivion, I guess Skyrim is Ok. It has its moments, roaming, watching sunsets, catching butterflies, of fishing by hand in the cool clear streams. I truly wonder at user reviews that give this game 10/10 scores. presumably these are all written on the initial wonder, before 40 hours have passed. Before they have accumulated 300,000 gold with nothing you need or CAN buy, or learned how to make every potion under the sun, only to find that they NEVER EVER need to use even one potion, or while they are trying various wield options before realising that most of them suck, and settled on playing sneaky archer, which is the only really viable build (SIGH). When you play this game to maximum level it reveals itself as a soul-less, empty, hollow lonely, terminally BORING, joyless affair. There is not a single likeable NPC in the game. No kind of interesting interaction with any of the puppet-like characters in the game. There is no main plot, no compelling sidequest, nothing memorable at all. Only some sunsets, some bug-catching and then tedium as you waste dozens of hours unlocking dragon shouts that you never even need to use. All this in a crappy port with the worst UI ever put on a PC. Bethesda do NOT know and love RPGs. Bethesda are cheap skates who cut corners, build huge worlds and fill them with copy-pasted tedium and FILLER. The high scores for this game are wishful thinking, tinged with nostalgia, and appreciation for all the good things Bethesda have done over the years. Bethesda needs to know the ways this game is NOT GOOD. They have to understand the way it fails. They can and should do a LOT better than this. Giving this game a 10/10 is a really big mistake because that only encourages more of the same. Wake up people, believe me. You do NOT want more of THIS! Expand
  5. Jul 12, 2013
    The world of Skyrim is beautiful and filled with detail, yet an uninterresting story with evenly boring characters, dated physics and textures, and frustrating combat make this game a bit of a missed chance, overrated as never before, and simply a copy of everything Bethesda already did before.
  6. Apr 26, 2014
    Huge game with bad RPG system.

Huge game with bad RPG system.

This game is enormous and detailed. Apart from other elder scrolls and Fallout 3 series, I think this is the only game that allowed me to interact with the game world at such level of detail. I can pick up a mug in a tavern or enter some random NPC's house and steal everything. The world is living and breathing, with NPCs striking random dialogues with each other, bandits grumbling about the hardships of bandit life, etc .

Voice acting, visuals are all top notch. There's basic physics.

Sure, there is lot's to do, and after 3 playthroughs, I don't think I ever finished the dragonborn or civil war plotlines.

And here comes my biggest gripe with the game - the bad RPG system. I played just about every western RPG since 1998, and Skyrim is just bad. Having only health, stamina and magicka along with armor means that just about every melee or ranged character feels the same. Dodge-block-hit, thousands of time throughout the game create a very dull feeling of combat.

Without the 10 primary skill system from Oblivion, the character levels up too fast, where a single dungeon may mean 1-2 level ups. This means that a lot of content, like goblins (do they exist)? or Skeevers is just gone. Very quickly all dungeons are populated with bandits with elven weaponry, then Adept necromancers, then vampires in ebony armor. The entire world levels up just because I have sold some items to a vendor and levelled up my speech skill.

With no way to degrade or lose armor, the player quickly acquires the best pieces of armor and weaponry available, which creates a dungeon crawling experience where I don't care about the loot. There's nothing in this dungeon that can come even close to my own crafted/enchanted/improved armor and weapons. Everything is vendor trash, and apart from the trainers there aren't really that many money sinks in this game for me to spend end game gold.

Very soon my character becomes godlike in it's ability to slay everything that stands in its way. Sure, I can bump the difficulty all the way up to legendary, but this only makes combat feels worse. Instead of killing an enemy with 3 hits, I can dance around it for 2 minutes, slowly chipping away at it's health. Not really that fun.
  7. Mar 10, 2013
    Every TES game from Bethesda SHOULD have been a 10. However the size of the game is NOT an excuse. These game are LOADED with bugs and glitches. It is inexcusable by Bethesda. If you have the manpower to make the large games you do, than you have the manpower to clean it up right before you release it. It is a shame that TES has the potential to be a legend among games but can never seemEvery TES game from Bethesda SHOULD have been a 10. However the size of the game is NOT an excuse. These game are LOADED with bugs and glitches. It is inexcusable by Bethesda. If you have the manpower to make the large games you do, than you have the manpower to clean it up right before you release it. It is a shame that TES has the potential to be a legend among games but can never seem to do anything but scratch the surface because of its bugs. Bethesda should be embarrassed that they can't properly polish up the games they push so much praise into.
    The game could have been a 10, but the army of bugs and glitches always seem to bring your character to his knees before any Dragon can.
  8. Aug 25, 2015
    Yeah maybe the game is huge but what else...not much. Boring, really. One can play through a game like Oblivion only so many times. Skyrim is very similar, only the story is even worse. As a gamer I expect the devs to treat me with respect that dictates them trying a bit harder than just adjusting and changing 10% of the recent game and release it as new title. I expect new story, I expectYeah maybe the game is huge but what else...not much. Boring, really. One can play through a game like Oblivion only so many times. Skyrim is very similar, only the story is even worse. As a gamer I expect the devs to treat me with respect that dictates them trying a bit harder than just adjusting and changing 10% of the recent game and release it as new title. I expect new story, I expect to be immersed, I expect great, interesting quests and characters. Nothing besides the music is above average in Skyrim plus I had to deal with the horrid console interface. What a joke.
    You can mod this game to hell and back and then it gains some color but vanilla Skyrim is a pale experience. Rating it based on mods would be giving credit to Bethesda instead where it is really due - the mod community. I feel that Skyrim brought me mediocre entertainment and in that term it is no better than Risen 2, yet it presents slighly higher production values, for example music and larger world.

Story
    I hoped it would be something different, a lot better than Oblivion but I was dissapointed. The same jailed cutscene I can understand, that is TES franchise trademark so to say. But everything other besides that featured in the game. The Dovakhiin hero role playing is a lot worse than any TES earlier games. I literally had to force myself to sit through this and I consider the time lost forever.

Graphics/Gameplay
    Dated on premiere day. Same console bull_____. Bad user interface ensures a pc player has trouble with smooth, fast action gameplay. The inventory is all over the place. Really a pain.
    Gaining skills and abilities has been changed for far far worse than in TES : Oblivion. It makes developing the character a chore and a needless, uninteresting grindfest. Few quests are good, hundreds do not deserve to take any self-respecting gamers` time.
    Actor models are horrific, bland robots. They did nothing to even help me submerge in the game`s world. They act in an incredibly scripted way, they are pathetic in showing any emotions at all, even the actor conversations are terrible.
    Maps/locations are huge and pretty, I give it that. But I haven`t come into anything remotely different than with any other rpg title. The same caves, same jail buildings, same castles, same tunnels I went through countless times before. The only thing that caught my attention are the open grounds like say waterfalls and some awesome sightseeing spots in the mountains.
    In the above locations are the same enemy types, all uncreative. I never came to meet an enemy I wouldn`t be able to characterise (strenght/health/magic etc.) at the plain first sight. Same ole spiders/zombies/thieves/monks/trolls/lions etc. What a waste of development time.

Music
    Beautiful music, easily the strongest feature of Skyrim. Goes well with all character scenes. I caught myself exploring only due to the orchestra of different quite epic tunes.
  9. Apr 23, 2014
    While it is a good time killer, its really not much more than that. The gameplay is flat-out dull, unless your using a bow, which is impractical 99% of the time. The voice acting, along with the story, isn't very good. The factions are here, and are rather good, but they have only 5-10 missions per, which is really a disappointment. The UI is pretty bad on PC, and the graphics are good.While it is a good time killer, its really not much more than that. The gameplay is flat-out dull, unless your using a bow, which is impractical 99% of the time. The voice acting, along with the story, isn't very good. The factions are here, and are rather good, but they have only 5-10 missions per, which is really a disappointment. The UI is pretty bad on PC, and the graphics are good. There is plenty of mods keep in mind, but you shouldn't have to mod a game for it to be fun.

5/10. Decent. A good time killer, not much more
  10. May 9, 2015
    First let me introduce this review saying that I'm reviewing "The Elder's Scroll V: Skyrim", not its mods nor the game with mods.

Bethesda continued the Elder's Scroll saga keeping the typical extreme role playing features, graphics are extremely nice and overall audio quality is amazing. I have to say though that progressing through the game there have been many things that made me

I have to say though that progressing through the game there have been many things that made me lose interest or even abruptly stop playing the game.
    The first impact was with the minimalistic UI, for me medieval-themed RPG = parchment.
    Second impact (that made me quit after 15 min playing until I discovered the mod SkyUI) was with the UI layout/commands. You have a whole keyboard, full of keys, and you are restricted to up, down, left, right and 1-8 hotkeys, with no mouse integration whatsoever (well there's mouse integration that makes you click things you didn't click).
    After many, many, mods: new UI, mouse clicking bugfix on dialogues, huge bugfixing packs, etc I discovered computer generated quests... that halved my interest on this game just for them being in the game.
    A mix of all that made me quit after ~80h of playtime, of which I genuinely enjoyed probably only half.

So, now comes the hard part, would I recommend this game given the above? Probably yes, because even with its bugs, the utterly bad UI or the uninteresting computer generated quests the game still holds a lot of hours of fun and good roleplaying. What makes you quit this game, even with all the bugfixing-mods installed, is repetitiveness, Oblivion had less content so, even if it was repetitive too, you couldn't get bored much, this game not only has really an extreme amount of content but also features computer generated quests...

Ah, and watch out for amethyst rain: every human, animal and plant in skyrim holds at least on amethyst...
  11. Sep 30, 2013
    For me, the wonder and magic starts to wear off after about 20 hours or so into the game. Truly wonderful, gorgeous open game-world, with great music and hundreds of hours worth of content to discover and explore, is unfortunately let down by rather repetitive and boring quests, characters and combat. It's a difficult one, because in terms of volume of content and ambition it certainlyFor me, the wonder and magic starts to wear off after about 20 hours or so into the game. Truly wonderful, gorgeous open game-world, with great music and hundreds of hours worth of content to discover and explore, is unfortunately let down by rather repetitive and boring quests, characters and combat. It's a difficult one, because in terms of volume of content and ambition it certainly gets top marks, but just how fun and engaging is the experience of actually playing Skyrim? I guess that completely depends on the player, and I'm totally aware that this Bethesda RPG is considered one of the all-time greats. But, starved of any real narrative meat, tense combat and addictive reward systems, it kind of left me feeling like giving up, even though I've got the Legendary Edition and have probably only completed 5% of the game, or less. Despite having some essential visual mods, I still was annoyed by bugs and glitches in the game, or having side-quests that I just couldn't seem to complete. That being said, I'm still in awe of the value for money the game provides, and if I were a bit younger and had a lot more time to go traipsing around, then I might have carried through. This is a huge, epic game but it is not a fantastic gameplay experience. Expand
  12. Nov 17, 2011
    A decent enough game. Development of character is ok(ish) but graphics for a PC are woeful. It shows that this game has been written with the "ancient clockwork" hardware of the 360 and PS3 in mind. They are so bad it's shocking. Combat is rather weak (point and click...and keep clicking - changing weapon is about the only tactical thing you can do and most fights it's just a case ofA decent enough game. Development of character is ok(ish) but graphics for a PC are woeful. It shows that this game has been written with the "ancient clockwork" hardware of the 360 and PS3 in mind. They are so bad it's shocking. Combat is rather weak (point and click...and keep clicking - changing weapon is about the only tactical thing you can do and most fights it's just a case of swapping to a melee weapon when the mob gets too close etc). Story is good, voice acting is better than Oblivion (More variation) But I just can't get over the poor graphics. Sure - -buy it - it's not a bad game, but it's definately not a 2011/12 game - more like a 2005/6 one Expand
  13. Dec 18, 2015
    A good game but buggy and stupid. There's absolutely no need to use your brain in this game, Some said that even the bugs are funny but when they spoil my game I just say: What a piece of garbage.
  14. Feb 6, 2015
    It's hard to not recommend Skyrim. It's a massive step forward from Oblivion, but sadly it doesn't match to Morrowind.
    First off, Skyrim has an actually written world where everything has its place.
    It's a good time waster. It has a terrible UI and a broken character development, but simultaneously it has one of the best game rebuilding mods I've ever seen. I give it a lower score
    First off, Skyrim has an actually written world where everything has its place.
    It's a good time waster.

I give it a lower score because of the tendency to treat people like idiots. "Puzzles" are just insulting. The game still wants to take you on a disney jolly ride, shoveling everything down your throat even if you dont' want to. You will end having ALL daedra quests in your journal or done just by randomly walking around after a quest compass' arrow.
    Also the opening scenes are just terrible. They need to fire people responsible for such crap.
  15. Jul 14, 2012
    Skyrim lives up to the expectations of the Elder Scrolls series, for the most part. The main story itself is uninteresting. I didn't even get past the halfway point until I was forced to in order to get the remaining side quests. The whole civil war thing seems really tacked on to me. I eventually chose sides and started taking over cities as part of the war quests but then switchedSkyrim lives up to the expectations of the Elder Scrolls series, for the most part. The main story itself is uninteresting. I didn't even get past the halfway point until I was forced to in order to get the remaining side quests. The whole civil war thing seems really tacked on to me. I eventually chose sides and started taking over cities as part of the war quests but then switched back to the MQ to finish up. It seemed that neither side had notice that I had picked a side. Both acted the same way. This really broken the realism for me. Bethesda generally doesn't make these types of mistakes.

The dragons (which people have been asking for forever) really don't add anything to the game. They are just another creature with loads of health. Fighting them becomes canned as they go through the same motions. The first encounter was interesting. The rest were boring. Even worse is the fact that they randomly appear out of nowhere (a feature Bethesda bragged about). The problem is that if you teleport somewhere to follow a quest you might suddenly have to fight one of these stupid dragons. Because of their large health it can take several minutes. I got to the point where I would just run away because fighting them wasn't worth anything. I hope that dragons don't make an appearance in future ES games.

I've never been a fan of the leveling system of ES. Skyrim tried the Fallout approach of perks and it might have worked if the perks were actually that useful. For the most part they are useless. I much prefer the Oblivion skill system. But even then I should get rewarded for finding new areas. Make me want to spend time in this world Bethesda!! Instead my reward was generally yet another dragon battle I didn't want. You'd figure with all these dragons flying around that they would just take over the world.

Some of the early enemies are, again, overpowering. Spellcasters and higher level bandits appear at frightening frequency even early on making melee attacks deadly. Once you've acquired a certain shield (after a side quest) though they become trivial. By midway through the game there was no enemy that was even a remote challenge to my character. Bethesda really needs to work on a better balanced system.

Overall Skyrim was fun but I was honestly bored by the end of it. I wasn't interested in finishing the lackluster main quest nor searching the world for anything (because I gained nothing by doing so). I just ran through the final main quests as fast as I could. I see they now have DLC for the game but I doubt I'll get it. Nothing they throw at me wouuld be challenging (unless they take all your equipment - which is a popular pasttime) and it would probably have more dragons. Unless they come out with an expansion on the level of Shivering Isles I'll have to say goodbye to Skyrim until the next ES game comes along.
  16. Sep 29, 2014
    Despite the nice visuals/environments and the grand sense of scale with Skyrim's large map, I found my enthusiasm for Skyrim dwindling quickly the more I played. It seems that Bethesda have focused more on quantity rather than quality, as there are a large number of quests, but only a handful of them have any actual thought put into them. Most of them are monotonous dungeon raids that getDespite the nice visuals/environments and the grand sense of scale with Skyrim's large map, I found my enthusiasm for Skyrim dwindling quickly the more I played. It seems that Bethesda have focused more on quantity rather than quality, as there are a large number of quests, but only a handful of them have any actual thought put into them. Most of them are monotonous dungeon raids that get old very quickly. A part of this is because of the sheer lack of any depth or creativity to many of the side quest narratives. There are a few exceptions ('Blood on the Ice', 'The Mind of Madness', 'The Forsworn Conspiracy'), but these quests are few and far between.

Other problems include the sub-par UI (though this can be fixed with mods), repetitive voice actors and some balancing issues. For instance, gold is far too easy to come by, thus in accidentally owning the entire economy of Skyrim, the incentive for gold as a quest reward is no more. There are also numerous glitches and exploits, though fortunately most of them are fairly minor, and sometimes humorous.

On the plus side, some of the gameplay mechanics have been improved over past TES games, and the game allows for a variety of different playstyles, however there might be a few who dislike the simplification/removal of some elements such as spellmaking and attributes.

In short, Skyrim is a decent game at best, I just wish the game could've been more engaging in terms of storytelling and variation in quest design.

Overall rating - 7.4/10
  17. Dec 3, 2011
    Skyrim follows in the vein of its predecessor Oblivion in providing an even more streamlined open world RPG experience. Attribute points are no more with racial traits the only factor defining a starting role for your character. Character progression is so streamlined that soon even these racial bonuses will mean little as the way you choose to play defines your character. This approachSkyrim follows in the vein of its predecessor Oblivion in providing an even more streamlined open world RPG experience. Attribute points are no more with racial traits the only factor defining a starting role for your character. Character progression is so streamlined that soon even these racial bonuses will mean little as the way you choose to play defines your character. This approach truly gives players the greatest freedom in how to approach the game but perhaps unintentionally lessens the replay value of the game. There is no reason to replay the game as a different character since you can grow your skills however you want. I can be a mage with a two handed battle axe or sneak effortlessly in full plate armor while picking pockets in broad daylight. There are fewer spells, fewer skills, fewer weapon types, and fewer armor slots than ever before. Like Fallout 3, players receive one point to invest in perks each time they level up. These perks are very bland compared to Fallout 3, however, and usually provide passive bonuses in the way of reducing the madicka required for spell casting or increasing weapon damage by a certain percentage. The UI is atrocious and designed around a console controller. It requires way too much scrolling and unnecessarily interrupts the flow of combat. "Favoriting" an item in your inventory reduces the amount of screens you have to mull through, but as your character progresses, results in another length list you have to scroll through to access what you want. The main quest is reasonably interesting but anyone who has played an Elder Scrolls game will find it recycled and painfully short. Fighters, thieves, and mages guild exist in various forms as does the Dark Brotherhood. Daedric quests are back and most towns have one or two side quests to explore. There's a lot to do in Skyrim, and the world is fairly big, but like previous games in the franchise suffers from repetition. The landscape varies only in token ways and dungeons feel bland and samey after a short while. From a performance strandpoint, the game runs well but things could be so much better. The game doesn't use more than 2gigs of RAM (though there is a mod to address this), it uses DX9, and it's the same engine as Oblivion contrary to Bethesda's claims. Once again, a developer has chosen to allow ancient console hardware to dictate what they can and cannot do with their game rather than innovate and explore new ways of doing things in the franchise. If you are a hardcore Elder Scrolls fan, wait for a price drop. This is not work $60. Expand
  18. Jan 20, 2012
    With Oblivion, I preordered the limited edition. This time, because of my experiences with Oblivion, I was not going to make the same mistake again. And boy am I happy I didn't. One might think they would learn from their last game. Instead, they made it even worse! Full of bugs, underwhelming graphics (especially if you've played Witcher 2 just a bit before - sure, you don't have an openWith Oblivion, I preordered the limited edition. This time, because of my experiences with Oblivion, I was not going to make the same mistake again. And boy am I happy I didn't. One might think they would learn from their last game. Instead, they made it even worse! Full of bugs, underwhelming graphics (especially if you've played Witcher 2 just a bit before - sure, you don't have an open world there but still... the difference is GIGANTIC! and because of texture mods and ini mods and whatnot, people know that bethesda could have done more... instead they let their fans do the work) and the leveling system which is supposed to accommodate any play style (although... didn't they say that about Oblivion already?) is about as screwed up as in Oblivion.
    When Skyrim was first announced, I told my friends I would wait for about a year after release before I will play it. But because of all the mods that are already released and very popular, I figured it might be time already. No it isn't. And with things as screwed up as they are in Skyrim, I wonder whether it ever will be.
  19. May 31, 2014
    Good things: extremely modable, good music, rich world, huge sandbox possibilities
    Bad things: extreme amounts of bugs and rough edges, terrible AI, meh combat, too few voice actors, idiotic radiant quests
    Overall it can be enjoyable if you mod it A LOT.
  20. Oct 20, 2013

Orctowngrot
  21. Fuz
    Mar 6, 2014
    Fire the guy who designed the interface. Just. Fire. Him. It's the worst interface I've ever seen. We have a mouse, non a gamepad. Apart from that, is the same game we already knew from Oblivion. Lots of bugs, pleasant graphics (but you can do better IF you don't do a straight from console porting) et cetera. If you liked Oblivion you will like this. If you couldn't stand all the littleFire the guy who designed the interface. Just. Fire. Him. It's the worst interface I've ever seen. We have a mouse, non a gamepad. Apart from that, is the same game we already knew from Oblivion. Lots of bugs, pleasant graphics (but you can do better IF you don't do a straight from console porting) et cetera. If you liked Oblivion you will like this. If you couldn't stand all the little problems and annoyances like the unresponsive combat (no feedback on hits? seriously?) and the TERRIBLE enemies scaling you wouldn't like this game. I'm still waiting for a Daggerfall 2. Or a Daggerfall remake. And by the way: FIRE the guy who designed the interface. Also, the guy who approved it. Expand
  22. Dec 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the first time I wrote a review since I never like to write in my second language, but I want to express my opinions on this (sorry) overrated game.

This game has a great open world. Such a big open world means that there are many many quests to do, to the point that it is overwhelming and you would say "no more at the moment please, I've got to do this one first". HOWEVER, most quests are largely the same which makes the game somehow repetitive.

The best part of the game is the landscape obviously, you can meditate or look out over the mountain without doing anything for hours. Making every hold and capital city look different is no easy feat as well. Architecture of the Dwemer ruins and the automatons are one of the best thought-out elements in the game, in my opinion probably because I am very interested in ancient civilisations. The best part is not only Dwemer ruins made a return from Morrowind, this time they added the tragic backstory of the Falmer as well. But when it comes to the best-designed dungeon, nothing can beat the chaotic, otherworldly and twisted Apocrypha from the Dragonborn add-on. You might even forget you are playing Skyrim when you are in the Apocrypha! The designers definitely deserve to be praised.

Another great element of the game is music. This game would not be complete without it. Composed by my favourite composer Jeremy Soule, many of the music are beautiful and calming, just like the landscape. He contributed so much to the atmosphere of the series. I like the little palette music (not included in the OST) you can hear when exploring in the wild as well.

Now let's talk about the flaws of this game no one can ignore. The first is, of course, bugs. I cannot count how many bugs I've encountered. It is actually the sole reason I waited until Legendary Edition was released so there would be less bugs by the time I start playing, but the number of bugs is still unacceptable. It has a HORRIBLE UI for PC as well. Fortunately the problem is gone after installing the SkyUI mod. The game feels like a half-polished port at best, forcing players to install unofficial patches to avoid bugs and fix the UI. It's pathetic that college programmers can do better job than Bethesda. Perhaps I should have expected it- it's Bethesda afterall.

Secondly, it has one of the worst plot I've seen in a bestselling RPG game. Not only the main questline (lame plot involving dragon bosses), but the College of Winterhold (kill a Thalmor and you become Arch-Mage) and Dark Brotherhood questline as well (kill someone, kill Astrid, kill the Emperor, and the story ended there. I was like "what?").

Choices are non-existent. One great example of the lack of choice is that you are asked by the Blades to kill Paarthurnax and you cannot decline their request, which is absurd considering the position of the Blades and the Dragonborn. You "can decide" to join the Stormcloaks or the Empire, but you can't remain neutral, and if you joined them, the outcome doesn't affect the story that much anyway. The disproportion of the scale of the world/landscape and the writing is almost laughable to me.
    I have a minor complaint but many people might agree with me the lack of depth in NPCs. Most NPCs can be categorized into quest-givers, merchants, enemies and followers. For followers, you can only ask them to follow you, do something for you, or go home. Most of the NPCs/followers don't have backstory. You don't feel a bond with the followers, perhaps except for Serana. This is probably unavoidable because of the lack of VAs and large amount of NPCs, but it's a shame that you can't have more interaction with your favourite characters or to know more about their backstories.
    Even marriage is quite pointless, they just move into your house without any more interaction other than to cook you food or share the shop's profit. To be honest I don't even understand why Bethesda included the option to marry a NPC if you can't do anything with them.

Combat is one of the weaknesses of the game, although not as bad as the plot. Melee combat is boring and most of the time it's just pure button mashing. Fighting dragons can be exciting at first, but after a while it gets dull. Still, I like the idea of Shout from a gameplay viewpoint. Even though it is unavoidable that they had to make dragons a main factor in the storyline, they should have written a better story.

Overall, I think this game is enjoyable by everyone regardless of age (ironically which stems from its shallowness), unlike DA:O, which I consider its counterpart but can be quite intimidating at first. However, DAO is better executed and has more depth. I fear Bethesda is running out of ideas for its games since Oblivion. Maybe it's time for Bethesda to make their game maturer or darker, involving romance or even sex in its main plot? There is also a more important task left for its programmers: "Back to Basics- Learn How To Debug Games".
  23. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is for casuals who like to play game without worrying about mistakes affecting your game.
    Quests cannot be failed, quest marker automatically shows where you need to go, Important NPC's cannot be killed, ridiculously overpowered spells/shouts, dumb enemy AI. If you are even playing this game below Master difficulty you deserve to be kicked to the crotch.
  24. Jun 15, 2012
    meh, this wasn't a bad game, but the D A M N LOAD SCREENS took all the fun out of it. Seriously, when I'm exploring the vast lands of skyrim, I don't want to wait 30 seconds to 1 minute to enter a building....plus all the framerate and graphic glitches kept me from rating it higher. All this contributed to me getting bored of the game after a week and a half or so of playing it.
  25. Mar 3, 2012
    I did not play the previous versions of the game series, but decided to give this game a try based on the overwhelmingly positive response this particular title received. When I first loaded the game after spending a whopping $59.99, I was not disappointed with a eye-popping eye candy. Craggy rocks, very realistic flowing water, ultra-detailed characters, and the list goes on. AfterI did not play the previous versions of the game series, but decided to give this game a try based on the overwhelmingly positive response this particular title received. When I first loaded the game after spending a whopping $59.99, I was not disappointed with a eye-popping eye candy. Craggy rocks, very realistic flowing water, ultra-detailed characters, and the list goes on. After playing this for a while, I noticed the game is little more than a bunch of "fight this", "fetch that" sequence of missions scattered all over a very large map. Not that I mind that, but the story lines are thin and haphazard. More challenging puzzles in caverns, keeps and the like would have made this game a lot better as well. Overall, this game is very nice, but it certainly is not the best by any means at all. What really brought down my score is the sheer number of bugs in the game. Broken quests, buggy caves and wonky character interactions. Expand
  26. Nov 17, 2011
    Very hyped up, but left something to be desired for. I think both oblivion and Morrowind were better (except the graphics, obviously) because they were more complex. This game is huge, mind you, but a lot of the environment is bland, the plot is short and bland, and the controls are horrid.
  27. Oct 12, 2013
    I was initially hesitant to pick this up. Reported bugs and all.

Well, after two years, three expansions and a number of patches... It still sucks, despite the rave reviews (note how like 80% of those are from 11.11.11-13.11.11 fanboys are so fan). The idea is kind of good an open world RPG with a lot of freedom to do and be done to. The implementation, however, is atrocious.
    I was initially hesitant to pick this up. Reported bugs and all.

The PC version's interface is STILL limited to the capabilities of a console and the keyboard/mouse is STILL pretty much being shoved aside. I can't even use any keyboard/mouse controls unless I unplug the x360 gamepad. But entering the character name no, can't do THAT with a gamepad. Not allowed! Bad gamer! Get up from your chair and TYPE!

The in-game UI is bad. I mean, seriously bad. The compass shows a number of weird symbols with no indication of what they are or how far they are. So, there's this... barbed spear ahead. Okay, let's go see. Oh, joy, I've discovered the Dreaded Asswind Glade. What do I do with this discovery? Is it somehow useful? Now, my character is weakened by the sunrise. Yeah, I know, I've been bitten by a vampire fledgling, I reckon. But... No character status page. Where do I verify my suspicions and find a cure? Right, under "Magic Active effects" oh, ok. And a cure? Google that, Prisoner.

The melee combat is so uninspired it hurts. I mean, the whole idea of having first-person view combat without auto-aim using a gamepad is a perversion but whatever. I can swing a sword, it might hit someone, they will grunt maybe and then they'll swing back. The level of combat interactivity is sooooooo amazing. Battletoads on SMD had a similar one. And if you want to be able to block with a one-handed weapon, you'd better forget about using an off-hand weapon or magic spell. No point in having an empty hand there grab a shield for blocking (and blocking doesn't even do anything a lot of the time. Backpedaling while slinging arrows or spells is a LOT more effective). I know this is not Devil May Cry, but god forbid melee combat was actually fun to do or watch.

But wait, there's magic. It's also pretty meh. You have a right spell, a left spell and a shout (with a huge cooldown). If your spells are identical, you have a special perk AND you manage to press both triggers at once you get a stronger version of the spell. Combining different spells for a variety of effects? NO! THIS IS NOT SOME ANIME CRAP! GET BACK INTO YOUR SEAT, PRISO... GAMER! Summon familiar costs 89 magicka. But I can't get it to work. It drains my magicka bar and does nothing. I know, I must have less magicka than is necessary to cast that. Hi, I'm Tellah, anime crap reporting for duty! Nope, my max magicka is 100, so?..

Speaking of combat in general no numbers. So have fun guessing if your weapon/magic is ineffective against the target or they just have a boatload of health.

I'm not touching the story because it's more or less an industry standard open-world games must only have an excuse plot so that the player is not inhibited in their actions by some stupid story advancement or anything. And Skyrim is no exception meet people, kill people, go on randomly generated quests... Much like a single player MMORPG. Just without the MMO part that could give the player some really big and challenging fights.

In conclusion: Skyrim is not a bad game. It's just not worth the money or the time.
  28. Oct 5, 2014
    From the standpoint of quests, choices/effects, and enemy variety, this is the least salvageable Bethesda Software open world game to date. I have legit not seen a quest line I consider even passable. The dungeons, while a fair improvement over Oblivion's couple strains of layouts, are mostly populated by the following: Bandits, more bandits, necromancers, Falmer, Falmer-to-dwarven-ruins,From the standpoint of quests, choices/effects, and enemy variety, this is the least salvageable Bethesda Software open world game to date. I have legit not seen a quest line I consider even passable. The dungeons, while a fair improvement over Oblivion's couple strains of layouts, are mostly populated by the following: Bandits, more bandits, necromancers, Falmer, Falmer-to-dwarven-ruins, Dwarven ruins, and irrationally savage natives on the west side of the map. Bland.

This game is in some ways so watered down that even the obvious racist factions do not care what race your character is. In many ways this game is unbelievably sterile. I think it is because they stopped letting Kirkbride be lead writer, artist, and designer. God knows it would have killed him to continue that amount of alcohol and drug abuse, but the setting is ever the blander for it.
    Almost.. perfectly.. ripe.. for an MMO... huh.
    Anyway, in my honest opinion, the setting jumped the shark when the lore books started to directly contradict the setting, entirely to make an inoffensive, voice worked, familiar game. What do we have now? A setting more generic than the first EverQuest? Prove me wrong.

Now this isn't fair to judge these games off the bat. They have always, at their best, been about user content. But we're lacking the 'big' mods, like Mart's Monster Mod, Obscuro's overhaul, Fransceso's, the Tamriel Rebuilt, etc and ever the poorer for it.

So it has to be half a score. There is nothing insanely dense and creative, the writing has pooped itself, and the creators are pushing an MMO. Holy crap what a downturn.

Imagine if the game series we had in 2002 had continued on with no sacrifices made to the gods of expedience or so your neighbors idiot kid would play it for more than an hour or two.

ALMSIVI, ****
  29. Mar 27, 2012
    Skyrim is greatly overrated by the media and everyone who has bought it. Skyrim has a poor story, with no twists and turns in the plot, no stunning moral choice options which will affect the outcome of your experience, and there is just no justification to why your character should be good or bad; there's just no incentive, because it doesn't affect the outcome. The dialogue also poor, asSkyrim is greatly overrated by the media and everyone who has bought it. Skyrim has a poor story, with no twists and turns in the plot, no stunning moral choice options which will affect the outcome of your experience, and there is just no justification to why your character should be good or bad; there's just no incentive, because it doesn't affect the outcome. The dialogue also poor, as you don't even hear your character speak, and like I said before, there are no moral choice options to choose. The combat is fun but clunky, and doesn't flow like other games I have played. Also, the voice acting and character animations are fairly mediocre, as half the characters in the world have exactly the same voices and looks. The ending is pretty unsatisfying, and lacks the spectacularity in other games. After playing the Mass Effect series, I simply cannot say that Skyrim is as good as everyone is saying. Expand
  30. Mar 1, 2017
    Унылый слэшер, в котором от РПГ нету ничего. После этой игры вера в Бефезду пропала окончательно. Но все же скайрим лучше, чем отвратительная гриндилка под названием фоллаут 4
  31. Sep 2, 2013
    In its own right, Skyrim is a shallow but passable RPG, but compared to previous Elder Scrolls titles it's a huge disappointment. The level of casualization is simply depressing less equipment slots, more linear dungeons, no stats besides health/mana/stamina, less skills etc. The combat is actually a step up from Oblivion, and yet is still very basic and mindless. The first two or threeIn its own right, Skyrim is a shallow but passable RPG, but compared to previous Elder Scrolls titles it's a huge disappointment. The level of casualization is simply depressing less equipment slots, more linear dungeons, no stats besides health/mana/stamina, less skills etc. The combat is actually a step up from Oblivion, and yet is still very basic and mindless. The first two or three dragon fights blew my mind, but it didn't take long to notice the looping patterns every single dragon would follow and how easy it was to exploit that. They soon became a chore. The main questline had a ton of potential but it's just so lacking and by the end I couldn't care less about it. I didn't care for many of the sidequests either, and the much-hyped infinite quests where nothing more than fetch quests. All in all, Skyrim is a nice-looking but barren and shallow sandbox that makes modding a near necessity. Expand
  32. Dec 7, 2011
    This was my and i am sure a whole lot of other people's most anticipated game of the year and while the game improves on some parts it gets worse in other areas compared to oblivion or simply stays the same and for people playing an elder scrolls game the first time you might give the game a 10 but otherwise it feels dumbed down in many ways. I am first going to start with what has beenThis was my and i am sure a whole lot of other people's most anticipated game of the year and while the game improves on some parts it gets worse in other areas compared to oblivion or simply stays the same and for people playing an elder scrolls game the first time you might give the game a 10 but otherwise it feels dumbed down in many ways. I am first going to start with what has been done right which is the following: The world is once again huge with lots of areas to explore, the insides of dungeons and caves are more distinctive compared to oblivion, the graphics are a decent improvement for a game of this size(although i am only placing this as a pro because there are mods that make it better), the customization has been improved (although not greatly so for a game that has come out 5 years later after it's predecessor), there is an actual variety in vegetation zones compared to oblivion, the NPC's are more realistic and believable, the sound effects and music are very good, one of the greater improvements is the greater variety of combat options(Dual sword wielding, one arm magic one arm sword etc.), the dragon shouts are cool and add more combat tactics to the game, the level scaling has been improved, there are once again many quests and the game CAN provide hours and hours of entertainment, the skill tree and perk system is a nice touch. Now for the cons which unfortunately are many: The game implements very little battle tactics and does not require much technique or skill this is disappointing especially after playing a game such as Dark/Demon's souls, The game's quests are very repetitive(Steal this item, kill this guy/creature, clear this place out, retrieve this item, help this guy out, deliver or collect this/these items... yes and that's about it) and they don't have the same charm or excitement as oblivion did, there is less of a variety in enemies, there is slightly more voices in the game although the variety is simply not good enough of an improvement for five years later especially the female voices, the game is simply not rewarding (Most of the items found at the end of caves and ruins are rubbish as one can simply enchant far better items), the game has a lot of useless skills and activities (Alchemy and Smithing are a waste of time and are only used to level up, nothing good can be made from smithing, Alteration/ Illusion magic are useless as the only good spells that fall under these categories from oblivion have been taken away e.g. Paralysis, Invisibility (Unless i have not attained them yet which is unlikely as I have played 85 hours and have nearly clocked the game)), there is a disappointing variety of spells that can be bought and there are still only three categories for destruction spells (that being fire, electricity and ice) and there are no cool spells that have been added the current spells have simply been improved from oblivion, the leveling up has been dumbed down to three attributes (being health stamina and magic) no longer allowing greater specialization as oblivion had, leveling up in certain skills has no effect and simply unlocks perks of that specific skill, the story is simplistic, unepic, short and in the beginning a bit vague, other main quests are also very short and have not been improved from oblivion and in some cases are worse, gold is the reward mostly for completing quests although gold cannot be used for much at all (if you explore a lot) and is only used in the beginning of the game, Dragons and dragon encounters are cool in the beginning but become tedious/ boring and become pests a lot of the time as they are encountered too frequently, the game offers many shout powers but few are truly useful and effective(quality over quantity), while the level scaling has been fixed there are still problems as once one has unlocked all the perks for one's chosen speciality (one-hand, destruction etc.) one can become weaker as the the game allows only an improvement over health, stamina, magic (not magic strength or melee strength etc.)although this is not that prevalent, there is fewer variety in the creatures that one can summon(Only 4 as far as I know), 90% of what this game has to offer can be experienced and seen in the first 20 hours. Overall this game does not expand and improve enough and was over-hyped and the game is a disappointment in my opinion. I also want to say that the fact that the ps3 version does not work properly is inexcusable!. Not GOTY. 6.5/10. Expand
  33. Mar 4, 2013
    Unfortunately I was pretty disappointed eventually with this one, as with most open-world games. Granted Skyrim is probably one of the best open-world RPGs ever made, but it still feels like a fake world with simple-minded scripted bots. The skill system is also pretty meh, I preferred the skill system of some of their previous titles. Too many skills that do nothing and the interface isUnfortunately I was pretty disappointed eventually with this one, as with most open-world games. Granted Skyrim is probably one of the best open-world RPGs ever made, but it still feels like a fake world with simple-minded scripted bots. The skill system is also pretty meh, I preferred the skill system of some of their previous titles. Too many skills that do nothing and the interface is quite horrible.

The menus are very bad, mods do help but they still are often unresponsive and annoying.
    The graphics are awesome, and so are many of the mods you can download with it. It's probably one of the most modded games in history. However even with mods it's still pretty unsatisfying, NPCs still say immersion breaking things, completnig major quest lines have very little impact on the world and the "people" there are pretty bland with very little to say or do. It certainly doesn't feel very immersive.

Once we have better AI and are able to properly communicate with the NPCs of their world, I think we'll start getting incredible "Open World Sandbox" games. But for now, we're stuck with games like this, which excel in certain areas but are ultimately not that immersive and offer very limited interaction with the NPCs.

Another thing that annoyed me is how unattractive the factions are. I didn't feel an urge to help either the Stormcloaks or the Imperials, both were pretty unappealing factions to me. Even the Blades and the Greybeards were flawed.

But I'm still giving this a 7 because it excels at certain things like graphics, amount of things to do (huge amount of content) and the lore tends to be good. If you enjoy open world type of games in a fantasy world, you'll almost certainly like this one.
  34. Dec 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought the game on day one and began playing. I was disappointed with the CC and the ghastly lack of choices for making any type of attractive character for this game. Eventually got a playable character and found myself in a fairly standard opening scene typical of Oblivion, captured and on my way to execution. Oblivion had me already in a cell so pretty typical beginning. Found myself not so impressed with the world and graphics, they are nice but not amazing as claimed and the world colours are too muted for my taste.
    There are many many many quests to do so I got busy. After a few days of questing and exploring and beginning to get quite fed up with the very long dungeon quests I decided to get married. Marriage is a joke. Its a cold and lacklustre union with little to recommend it as the perks of marriage were glitched and didnt work as they should have. I also felt not one bit connected or fond of the guy as he pretty soon annoyed me with his getting stuck, getting in the way, sleeping on floors and calling me 'sister' instead of wife. Oh my God if they were going to bring us some marriage couldnt they have at least have made it a little more romantic and meaningful. Blah. :(
    I got bored and fed up with the bugs and glitches before I managed to finish the main quest. I would have loved to give this game a higher score but it feels like such a half- assed effort and I feel it is not one bit an improvement on Oblivion. (I really get mad when I think of this game-grr my lists of complaints are endless)
    For people who love meaningless quests for uninteresting NPCs and huge worlds to run around in for days on end this game will be a winner. Those of us who need an intelligent and interesting storyline and an immersive world, this game will be a HUGE HUGE disappointment so wait until it goes on sale and you have many many days with nothing else to do.
  35. Feb 11, 2014
    TESV Skyrim brings almost nothing new into the RPG style games.

TESV Skyrim brings almost nothing new into the RPG style games.

Skyrim is a repetitive experience from start to end, the only thing that changes is that it gets more flashy as you progress, but when it comes to asking to player to be skilled, not that much. The graphics are awful, the characters are boring, it really failed to impress me. Then there's a whole lot of problems with gameplay, dragons are more plentiful than bandits sometimes, its just ridiculous.

But then comes modding which is the reason why I give it a 6 instead of a 4. Modding community made some very good mods that introduced very detailed characters, good graphics, and so on. However not one single mod I managed to get my hands on managed to stop the boring level grind and bring a more rewarding system where the player skill is the most important asset (as opposed to the ingame character skills).

In the end this game can be fun but it feels really lacking, like if they made the basic map and characters of the game and dismissed everything else. Its a trend that its common now, people love the "open world" games so they advertise it and make it look like the options are endless, but this game isn't truly an open world game is it, its just a big map with a main story and random pointless quests/locations.

Game industry is stalled, goal isn't anymore to make good creative games, it's just all about making something fancy and give false expectations to players so they buy the game, then promise more functionality in paid DLC's or the next game in the series, so people go and buy the next game in the series which added very little to the previous one, sometimes its even less detailed... this is just sad.
  36. Apr 28, 2017
    I am not a big elder scrools fan. the only two elder scrools tittles I liked was Morrowind and oblivion. Skyrim in my opinion is average at best. It has a lot of good things but also a lot of bad stuff mixed in to. the combat has always and still is pretty bad, So stiff and feels so slugish but I have to say skyrim has a way better combat then the previous tittles. The grafics are alrightI am not a big elder scrools fan. the only two elder scrools tittles I liked was Morrowind and oblivion. Skyrim in my opinion is average at best. It has a lot of good things but also a lot of bad stuff mixed in to. the combat has always and still is pretty bad, So stiff and feels so slugish but I have to say skyrim has a way better combat then the previous tittles. The grafics are alright actually, enviroments looks really nice but caracters models looks outdated. Some fun quest`s but most of them are pretty boring and tedious honestly. Soundtrack is pretty good. As said maybe you shoulden`t take my word for it since i only liked two of the elder scrools games. If you are a die hard fan of elder scrools, you will love this game, even casual fans will like it but for new comers, I don`t think it will convince. Expand
  37. Nov 16, 2011
    Skyrim is a huge step forward from Oblivion. A great soundtrack, beautiful landscapes, improved animation (most of the time, still a few weird spots), better faces, and more choices. Unfortunately this beauty is only skin deep, as Bethesda continues to move away from RPG mechanics where you really live in a world trying find different solutions to problems by applying your character'sSkyrim is a huge step forward from Oblivion. A great soundtrack, beautiful landscapes, improved animation (most of the time, still a few weird spots), better faces, and more choices. Unfortunately this beauty is only skin deep, as Bethesda continues to move away from RPG mechanics where you really live in a world trying find different solutions to problems by applying your character's skills, but instead focuses on hack-n-slash loot-fest mechanics. Worse still is that the game uses a script to generate what items you find based on your character's level, ensuring that you never find anything remarkable. The fact that every dungeon ends with a large box full of more of the same, and a shortcut back to the entrance doesn't help the immersion either. In the end all I felt like I accomplished was improving my DPS. Expand
  38. Oct 23, 2015
    Lo he intentado jugar demasiadas veces como para decir que no me engancha lo más mínimo. No sé porque... Sé que para la gente que le guste este estilo de juego es bestial, pero a mi no me llega y es algo que en realidad me duele, porque sé que no me está llegando un juego que seguramente sea una obra maestra.
  39. Nov 12, 2011
    i wanted to call it game of the year,
    what i like is that the game difficulty is not set too low and that the enivorment is very detailed, the sounds and the music are nice as well all together a impressive atmosphere. its very small, the download only has a size of 5,8GB.
    i wanted to call it game of the year,

on the other hand, the graphics engine itself is looks very old, when you get closer to anything, all you see is edges, little texture bugs... reminds me on RAGE; same problem.
    the controls of the game are a disaster. SERIOUSLY.

the npc/ai players block your way , the enemy ai gets stuck at random objects.

the mainquest is done very fast, (lvl 11 was enough to finish it) i think i took double the time for oblivion, at the end its just, travel - fight dragon - travel - fight dragon again. AND again... uuuh so creative.
    the secondary quests are fun, also its fun to just ride arround with the horse and let it fall down from high mountains.

its not worth the 49â
  40. Mar 16, 2012
    Skyrim, a game so loved by many that people forgot to have social life or a normal life as well. I played the game trying to understand what the fuss is about but... I got bored pretty fast. At first I was astonished by the environments, the possibilities but then I realized something was missing: reward over time. It' very easy to say that you played this game for 200 hours where half theSkyrim, a game so loved by many that people forgot to have social life or a normal life as well. I played the game trying to understand what the fuss is about but... I got bored pretty fast. At first I was astonished by the environments, the possibilities but then I realized something was missing: reward over time. It' very easy to say that you played this game for 200 hours where half the time you just follow the mark on the map and walk. And walk. And walk. Minutes upon minutes of walking when nothing happens except the occasional wolf or the big monster that kills you in one shot and force you to start all over again. This superfluous padding could have been bearable if the combat system was interesting but the user-unfriendly interface made even combat annoying. If you like this kind of games here you will find great customization, a big open world to explore, lots of thing to do. Every time I try this kind of game I end up disappointed because freedom is useless if you don't have a compelling narrative or a purpose. Expand
  41. Jaz
    Feb 23, 2013
    Skyrim is a good game. Great graphics, landscapes, a nice world to explore etc..But, could have been better, should have been better. Much better. Main drawback is the lack of a moving story, of a good story At the end you wonder why you bother to fight at all. No real interest for any faction means that you have no interest in game at all. And story is the No1 criterion for any RPG inSkyrim is a good game. Great graphics, landscapes, a nice world to explore etc..But, could have been better, should have been better. Much better. Main drawback is the lack of a moving story, of a good story At the end you wonder why you bother to fight at all. No real interest for any faction means that you have no interest in game at all. And story is the No1 criterion for any RPG in my opinion. Compared to Morrowind and Oblivion is a step backwards. I hope this trend for better graphics instead of a better story to stop.(Daggerfall didnt have a great story either but had much more freedom in everything else). Expand
  42. Jan 27, 2015
    Very interesting in the beginning, extremely boring later. This game is huge but when you get know 30% of the game everything is the same later on. Poor quests. Not very interesting (or just silly) main plot. It's Not good when game is boring, especially game with high ratings like Skyrim. Morrowind is he king so far.

Great atmosphere, soundtrack and still not bad graphics (with the

Great atmosphere, soundtrack and still not bad graphics (with the mods at least) are the strongest parts of this game.
  43. Dec 12, 2011
    This is my 3rd rewiev, and I started at the score 0. I've been playing for about 25 hours now.

Positive: graphics is great, even on my HP laptop. Gameplay is fun and addictive. Big world, with a lot of quests. Great cities, compared to Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc. Almost unending gameplay. The world feels a live with all these critters running around. Negative: Dialogues is weak, you can ALMOST say everything to some guy, and it still has same effect. Bugs is really bad, I am reinstalling Skyrim right now, because I can't fast travel, dragons is flying the wrong way which causes big laggs, a lot of quests is just really boring(there is some good ones too, don't get it the wrong way) and dragons are sometimes invincble.

I think the game is pretty good, but it could get A LOT better. I would reccomend it to everyone, because we all need to make an effort, to safe the lands of Skyrim!
  44. Nov 26, 2011
    I'm stuck between a 10 or a 1 rating for this game. I really should have purchased the Xbox version, because the PC version is so prone to glitching, lagging, and crashing that it makes the game near unplayable. I can barely play the game anymore because it crashes so much and so often. The game itself is excellent no doubt. I just wish I could play it.
  45. Dec 8, 2014
    This game is good but not awesome
    the good
    open world
    sense of adventure and discovering
    plot

the bad
    inventory
    repetitive dungeon, dragon, enemy, puzzle
    very very stupid ai
    abuse of potion in combat

The most annoying thig is how much repetitive are things in this game, it became boring too soon.
  46. Jun 21, 2012
    I never knew black and white video games existed until I played Skyrim. My eyes hunger for color. I was more interested in improving the AI from Oblivion, but that didn't happen.
  47. Nov 17, 2011
    I'll preface this review by saying that while I was a huge fan of Morrowind, I couldn't bring myself to like Oblivion. I should also note that while I haven't finished the game, I'm 60 hours in, and I feel that I've seen enough of the game to write an unbiased review. First I'll discuss the good. The world is huge, immersive, and has a nice aesthetic even if the graphics are a bit dated.I'll preface this review by saying that while I was a huge fan of Morrowind, I couldn't bring myself to like Oblivion. I should also note that while I haven't finished the game, I'm 60 hours in, and I feel that I've seen enough of the game to write an unbiased review. First I'll discuss the good. The world is huge, immersive, and has a nice aesthetic even if the graphics are a bit dated. Music and sound is top notch. Quests are fun and so far non-repetitive. Dungeon layouts are varied and I've seen very little copy/pasting. Surprisingly few bugs for a Bethesda release. Both the amount of content in the game and the attention to detail is staggering. Now for the bad... The game is too easy even on master difficulty. The UI is terrible and it's especially difficult to switch to and from dual wielding melee weapons. Melee combat is bad, though I admit I'm enjoying stealth gameplay. Textures are low resolution. Not enough voice actors. NPCs repeat the same lines too often. Enemy AI is dumb as a rock. Dragon AI is dumb as a rock. Not enough dungeon types. You've got Castle/fort, Nord ruin, Dwarven ruin, and cave. That's it. Weather changes too quickly. Various other bugs such as NPCs teleporting around or a merchant standing backwards at their store counter. While that may seem like alot of negatives, most of them are nitpicks and don't detract too much from the overall feel of the game. Overall, not quite as good as Morrowind, but much better than Oblivion. With mods, patches, and tweaks I could see it becoming a 9/10. Expand
  48. Jun 26, 2013
    It's very hard for me to review this game. I loved Oblivion, which makes this all the more painful.
    Skyrim is just as good as Oblivion. There. I said it.
    Skyrim is EXACTLY as good as Oblivion. I get the feeling that most of Skyrim's raving fans have never played a previous Elder Scrolls game. There's very little progress for the series. Graphics have barely improved, gameplay is
    Skyrim is just as good as Oblivion. There. I said it.
    Skyrim is EXACTLY as good as Oblivion.

There's very little progress for the series. Graphics have barely improved, gameplay is identical, and quests are no more creative than they were in 2006.

For everything Bethesda added in Skyrim, they removed something else. To add more unique spells, they removed spellcrafting. To add dynamic shadows, they removed most of the HDR lighting quality. To add NPCs with more personality, they removed many of the total NPCs, leaving Skyrim barren. To add horse combat, they removed the first person horse camera. Etc. It just continues like this. Every time Bethesda adds something to a sequel, they take away something else. Essentially, Skyrim is the same game I played in 2006, and although I loved Oblivion then, it's not okay to sell the same game year after year.

Morrowind defined the genre in 2002, and 10 years later, Skyrim still hasn't significantly improved. It kills me to do this to a series I still like, but at most, Skyrim deserves an average review. Mods on the PC version are the only reason to buy this game instead of literally any other generic RPG to release in the last 10 years.
  49. Feb 3, 2012
    Man, was I wrong when I gave this game 8 points. It's not what I thought it is. I have played tones of hours just by assuming it should get better but it never did. I will never buy Bethesda game again until they start to innovate and make more story driven games! Because Skyrim is Big Empty world full of same characters with same crappy lines. Main quest is joke as many others. No matterMan, was I wrong when I gave this game 8 points. It's not what I thought it is. I have played tones of hours just by assuming it should get better but it never did. I will never buy Bethesda game again until they start to innovate and make more story driven games! Because Skyrim is Big Empty world full of same characters with same crappy lines. Main quest is joke as many others. No matter what you do you never feel the difference in outcome. Very dull game!!!!! I regret that I spend 60 dollars on it. Expand
  50. Aug 9, 2013
    Skyrim, imo, is highly overrated.

It is by no means a bad game. It offers tons of content. I played 100+ hours into it. It got a huge open world, interesting lore and background, and all the things you can do. But the quality of the massive amount of content is not very high. In most questlines, other than civil war and maybe Daedra quests, you don't have meaningful choices. Maybe if
    Skyrim, imo, is highly overrated.

But the quality of the massive amount of content is not very high. In most questlines, other than civil war and maybe Daedra quests, you don't have meaningful choices. Maybe if you count DLCs, then Dawnguard would count as well. For example, you can never fight against thieves' guild; the best you can do is to avoid that quest.

The skill system also encourages grinding, which is boring.

Its DLCs, imo, are also overpriced.

Moddability on the other hand is a very important part of this game, and that is why I still give it a 7.
  51. Jun 24, 2013
    This is really good game, but it can be boring at any second. If you like to play more like an action or a story based game... Play Oblivion.. That game is far better.
  52. Apr 12, 2014
    Skyrim is a huge game but it doesn't feel special or unique. Most places and dungeons look the same, NPC's are a big disappointment and it is based on quantity rather than quality. Menus and inventory screens are bad, navigation is really confusing and time consuming.
  53. Jun 26, 2014
    In a word? Overrated. They really messed up the major point of even playing an Elder Scrolls game - the story. Not just the main quest, but all of the side quests and especially the guilds. It is fun, but inferior to Oblivion and Morrowind and not a good sign of to-be Elder Scrolls games.
  54. Jul 1, 2014
    A solid "offline" game, if you have a good audiobook playing or need to catch up on podcasts. In all fairness, I've never finished it, I get bored not enough story or dialogue-ing companions to drive the story (is there a story?) forward. Combat is fine.

PRO: -graphics -open world -open leveling system -dragons -a cryptic story involving said dragons -MODS, which can save this

PRO:
    -graphics
    -open world
    -open leveling system
    -dragons
    -a cryptic story involving said dragons
    -MODS, which can save this game
    -neat, interactive environment

CONS:
    -mobs level with you until L35, then they stop...but you keep on going to L88 making for a boring single arrow to the knee killing everything in your path...even the dragons (well, 2 arrows for dragons, but still...)
    -no real story
    -open, quiet, lonely and often boring world, like an MMORPG left empty and offline.
    -sometimes random dragons show up IN TOWN and kill off your questgivers
    -companions are boring, even if you marry them
    -neat interactive environment gets old when you realize you're looting the same shelf with the same iron pot, cheeses, and wheat in the same places over and over again
    -gets old, no motivation to finish.
    -THE INVENTORY INTERFACE IS TERRIBLE...be prepared to scroll through hundreds of items to find anything
    -no ability to hotkey, the favorites menu items don't make up for this...it's the 2010s, get it together already
  55. Mar 25, 2012
    If you want to be convinced that you're too old to enjoy RPGs anymore, this is your game. The world is huge, and though the graphics aren't as good as some games, it's tastefully done (someone really applied their geology degree). But the fun of exploration wanes fast and as you're filled with brief excitement upon discovering another location there follows that invariable sinking feelingIf you want to be convinced that you're too old to enjoy RPGs anymore, this is your game. The world is huge, and though the graphics aren't as good as some games, it's tastefully done (someone really applied their geology degree). But the fun of exploration wanes fast and as you're filled with brief excitement upon discovering another location there follows that invariable sinking feeling upon realizing it's filled with wooden Skyrim characters, and they are *very* wooden: no montages during the dialogue sequences, inexpressive faces, they look similar and are voiced by around 6 actors. Conversations rarely have C&C. The dialogue writing is so perfunctory and self-conscious it's like hearing someone read an ESL textbook. There is a rebellion brewing, but the NPCs don't seem to care. They have no sense of humour, no love lives, no jobs (that aren't related to things you can buy, craft or kill) and they usually greet you by mindlessly explaining what they can do for you, like some sort of talking user interface or airport security announcement. I still don't remember any names (except one). There are very many quests, but they're of poor quality. A few examples of absurdity: Around town, I once met an escaping thief who asked me to take something he'd stolen. I said no and killed him in front of two guards. Then, with the dead thief lying right in front of them, the guards asked me where he went. My dialog options were "he went that way" or "I didn't see him". Another example, I'm asked to rescue a woman's son. I use the arrow in the map view to locate where he is (no thinking here), clear out the castle and find him in the dungeon. He thanks me and goes away. I then find a few more people who are also locked up and free them and they stay in their cells and tell me to leave them alone. I then meet his mother, whose dialogue is so wooden she doesn't convey the slightest bit of relief. Another time I fought a dragon and a guard joined in the fight. After the mindless fight was over (aim, shoot, heal in a loop) the guard immediately arrested me. Apparently I once accidentally hit E while pointing to the wrong thing and inadvertently stole a wooden plate from a shopkeeper instead of talking to him. A different dragon battle was followed with the guards attacking me because one of my fireballs landed on them. After yet a different battle, my companion character attacked my dog repeatedly and killed him. The quests are generally sloppy. You're given dialogue options referring to people you haven't met yet, and what you have to do is sometimes spelled out for you in excessively simple terms and other times left so obscure you need the journal and map. Most involve going into a cave or fortress and fetching something in exchange for a reward you don't need from a wooden character you don't care about and will never see or hear from again. You're able to master every clique and become everything at once. I became archmage, and then leader of the Companions. I found myself not caring about this at all. Then I read the diary of the former leader of the Companions, who praised me for being such a wonderchild and then mentioned that he disapproved of magic, ignoring my status as robed magic-casting archmage! Oh, and reading that diary was purely aberrational. The books strewn throughout the game are written by someone astoundingly talentless. Other times the quests make me cringe. From Azura's mission in jarringly ugly Oblivion to going into a dead king's dream where he wouldn't shut up about how insane he was, and where I had to zap his "self-doubt" with a rod. At other times the quest writers seemed inspired by 80's sitcoms. I had to create a diversion at a party by encouraging a man to proposition (gasp!) one of the waitresses, and because this is puritanical Skyrim she was really offended. (How I missed the Witcher!) Main story: your character progresses from budding wonderchild to the prophesied Bestest Persun Evar. The story is neither personal nor heroic, and what you do and when you do it doesn't matter. You don't need to do any of the things you can do. There are no overwhelming odds to beat, no grand story to unravel. There's no suspense, sense of urgency or reason to invest in what's going on. Levelling involves buffering talents you learn elsewhere. Money is mostly useless. In 60 hours I changed armor 3X, and sold many useless sets of armor for unneeded money. Combat is mindless. No combos. I didn't need the poisons or scrolls. Whenever I met a difficult opponent I spammed health potions, which I made very effective with alchemy talents (typical talent: improve effectiveness of X by 20%). Your follower/dog gets in the way between your attack an the enemy. Death physics are well done though. There are many things I still haven't done in Skyrim, but I won't bother. This game is addictive, but unfulfilling, and the more I play it the more embarrassing it is too. Expand
  56. Feb 7, 2013
    The game is amazing just like oblivion was the main issue i had was with the game crashing all the time. I eventually fixed it through updates and lowering resolution but by that time, it had kind of ruined the experience for me. Also the lack of multiplayer or pvp is kind of disappointing.
  57. Apr 25, 2013
    Bethesda stretched themselves too thin with this game, and the result is a game that lacks any depth and is instead is crammed with repetitive and trivial content. Unlike the excellent Fallout 3, there are no significant choices to be made in any of the quests you will undertake. Solutions to most everything will be to kill, and kill some more. There is so much exposition thrown at youBethesda stretched themselves too thin with this game, and the result is a game that lacks any depth and is instead is crammed with repetitive and trivial content. Unlike the excellent Fallout 3, there are no significant choices to be made in any of the quests you will undertake. Solutions to most everything will be to kill, and kill some more. There is so much exposition thrown at you that you will start to lose track of what's going on, and without any truly memorable set piece type quests to back them up, they remain nothing more than exposition. The world, though undeniably large, starts to blend together into an indistinguishable mish-mash of dungeons, forests, and towns. There are hundreds of NPCs, but just like the locations and quests, they are too many and too shallow. There are no branching dialogue trees; most characters will have 3 or 4 topics of conversation. Worst of all is hearing the same 10 or so voice actors spread across the hundreds of NPCs. The art is a mixed bag. The color palette is grey and drab, suitable for the Nordic environment, but it becomes an eyesore over time. There are some great looking environments, such as the dense forests and mountain vistas, however many areas look like they were hurriedly built, such as the northern coastline. The characters look as stiff as ever; both in their procedurally generated faces and their terrible animations... both Bethesda trademark. The music is uniformly excellent, though it can get repetitive hearing the same battle and town themes over and over. Don't get me wrong, there is fun to be had. Play the main quest line and a few of the faction quest lines, and you will get the best of what Skyrim has to offer. Delve any deeper and you will ultimately find a shallow experience devoid of any meaning. Expand
  58. Nov 23, 2012
    I really really really really REALLY want to like this game, but i can't for some reason, I'm serious, the graphics are decent, the music is epic and the world looks very open and fun, but for some reason, i get bored with it, Maybe it's because of the quests, but i'm not sure, I love Bethesda in general, Fallout 3 happens to be one of my favorite game, but skyrim, not really, still, i'veI really really really really REALLY want to like this game, but i can't for some reason, I'm serious, the graphics are decent, the music is epic and the world looks very open and fun, but for some reason, i get bored with it, Maybe it's because of the quests, but i'm not sure, I love Bethesda in general, Fallout 3 happens to be one of my favorite game, but skyrim, not really, still, i've spent a good 30 hours in it and i've had a few moments where i had an absolute blast playing it. Expand
  59. Jan 31, 2016
    How to play Skyrim: Accept a quest, fast travel to an area, do one of three things (kill someone, talk to someone, get an item), return to the quest-giver, and get a leveled item and another quest. Repeat.

A nice followup to Oblivion. Fun, but nothing innovative or special.
  60. Jul 4, 2017
    Skyrim has the best magic and combat system of all TES games,it's big,the landscapes are undeniably beautiful,but both main storyline and some of the sidequests are unremarkable. Just like Oblivion,Skyrim has almost no depth. Gameplay got extremely casual. Puzzles are too easy,and level design is very basic.
  61. Nov 21, 2011
    Ok dont get mad but i have the pc version yes its a good game but for people that have problems to even run this game or crashing like every 5 min its not and no not my pc have problems i have a high end system with 3x27 inc monitor and 2xhd5970 in crossfire and 16gb 2000mhz ram and SSD3 drive. And every other game out there have never fail to run. This game however was bugged before iOk dont get mad but i have the pc version yes its a good game but for people that have problems to even run this game or crashing like every 5 min its not and no not my pc have problems i have a high end system with 3x27 inc monitor and 2xhd5970 in crossfire and 16gb 2000mhz ram and SSD3 drive. And every other game out there have never fail to run. This game however was bugged before i even play it. I need to change my sound system to even let me run in the main menu of the game !!! ok now easy fixs easy go you will say? no the first day i was hook at it no crashing nothing just some random flicking screen glitching and some purple texture failing but well the game keeps running so fine by me. Next day and 4 days later the game crash every time when you fast traveling.!!! so i get piss and i get mad i stop playing this now i found the bug but i not going to tell you fixs it because people need to understand that a bugged game is not a game. But a crap. If the game was stable in the begin i give it a 10 for sure. But with all the bugs and crashing and anoying texture bugs i gave it a 5. Till the fixs it and repost this post with a 8 for fixsing this game. Expand
  62. Jun 15, 2012
    Skyrim is not a bad game, to be sure. Some elements (Lockpicking, Archery) feel very natural - although archery is not perfect as you sometimes can't shoot through narrow openings you could shoot through in real life and arrows suddenly drop at long range. The scenery is impressive, but the character models are seriously lacking, human and non-human alike. And there numerous nice stories,Skyrim is not a bad game, to be sure. Some elements (Lockpicking, Archery) feel very natural - although archery is not perfect as you sometimes can't shoot through narrow openings you could shoot through in real life and arrows suddenly drop at long range. The scenery is impressive, but the character models are seriously lacking, human and non-human alike. And there numerous nice stories, but there not *TOLD*. I know, this an open world RPG, so telling stories can get quite complicated. But with Skyrim, there's so much to discover, but everything stays somehow flat, sterile, and unresponsive, though vast. It feels like every commoner now has a name, but it doesn't matter, they're still commoner 1 - 1000. Expand
  63. Mar 31, 2013
    Okay this is a little hard to understand, but let's start with the positives. Here we go. Skyrim is a great and vast world to explore with quests everywhere. They have improved a lot of things such as smithing, alchemy, and enchanting. Now we go onto the bad. The main quest is far too short and very dull and meaningless and then there are the guilds which are shorter and much worse. HereOkay this is a little hard to understand, but let's start with the positives. Here we go. Skyrim is a great and vast world to explore with quests everywhere. They have improved a lot of things such as smithing, alchemy, and enchanting. Now we go onto the bad. The main quest is far too short and very dull and meaningless and then there are the guilds which are shorter and much worse. Here is a nutshell of all the major guilds. Companions: Short and dull with little to do. College: Short and most of the quests are search and retrieve. Dark Brotherhood: The shortest of all the guilds and where are the cool kills from Oblivion that I was hoping for, oh right there not in Skyrim. Thieves' Guild or should it be called the Followers' Guild, because there is ONE thief quest and it wasn't very good in the first place. Also the storyline of each of these guilds was dull, boring, and at the end nothing special happened. Also at the end of each of these guild and all throughout Skyrim are those MMO quests that have you kill or retrieve something. Sadly most of the quest that I was talking about are kill or retrieve even some of the guild and main quests. There is also no one in the entire game who you can actually like or remember, even your spouse is forgettable. You also feel like everything was for nothing, like you actions didn't change the world at all. The only people who actually talk about your actions are the guards and those are for only joining guilds. There is also the times when an NPC's voice will change. Now we get onto weakness number 2, Combat. The game's combat system is terrible. You basically spam the the attack key with no true challenge in the entire game and that is unless you go on to a harder difficulty and than the game gets even worse. The reason why is it becomes nearly impossible to play a Wizard at the start and everything kills you in ONE hit while you need to hit them at least TEN times. Then there is the leveling system which also pretty poor and this is because it makes the game feel more like a hack and slash than a real RPG. You put perks into skill trees and that is it you can't even get all the perks. Previous Elder Scrolls games had a more RPG feeling to them and who knows why they changed it. Then there are the bugs which ruin the game and defeat any form of progression. The DLC was also terrible, but that isn't the point. Overall the game is worth ONE playthrough. Because you can play the entire game in one playthrough because Bethesda was lazy and didn't put any choices in the game that would affect endings. So this game gets a 6/10 for being so lacking. At first glance I would have given this game a 10/10 easily, but only after two playthoughs do you realize how much of a rip off this game is. My review is very late, but that is only because I sat down to play some Skyrim today, but could not last five minutes. Do not get this game at full price and if you do get it for PC or better yet get Oblivion or Morrowind both of them are cheaper and will keep hold of your attention much longer. Skyrim is by far the worst Elder Scrolls game I have ever played and I do not intend on playing it again. Expand
  64. Apr 8, 2017
    Дальнейшая деградация великой серии - все недостатки Обливиона никуда не делись - банальный сюжет, дальнейшее упрощение и вырезание - тех же магических школ, к ним добавились новые - если в Обливион были шикарные побочные квесты и квесты линеек гильдии и очень неплохая на момент выхода графика - то здесь из побочных квестов и вспомнить нечего, а графон (все тот-же движок от Морровинда -Дальнейшая деградация великой серии - все недостатки Обливиона никуда не делись - банальный сюжет, дальнейшее упрощение и вырезание - тех же магических школ, к ним добавились новые - если в Обливион были шикарные побочные квесты и квесты линеек гильдии и очень неплохая на момент выхода графика - то здесь из побочных квестов и вспомнить нечего, а графон (все тот-же движок от Морровинда - допиленный) выглядит просто убого для 2011 года. Expand
  65. Oct 23, 2012
    A decent attempted at rebooting the Elder Scrolls series, but just that. Visuals and audio leave something to be desired, cities and towns feel extremely small and uninteresting compared to the series' past cities and towns, melee combat is unsatisfying and sloppy while magic is fairly well done. The engine's physics still suffer in realism, and putting a potato into a bowl is the game'sA decent attempted at rebooting the Elder Scrolls series, but just that. Visuals and audio leave something to be desired, cities and towns feel extremely small and uninteresting compared to the series' past cities and towns, melee combat is unsatisfying and sloppy while magic is fairly well done. The engine's physics still suffer in realism, and putting a potato into a bowl is the game's most difficult feat. The game lacks much depth and immersion, feeling like a simple video game instead of an immersible world. Quests are extremely shallow and mostly consist of fetch-quests where your only true objective is to go into a dungeon, get to the end, and get back out, with no real story or anything interesting. Certain features such as the horse carriages are rendered useless after the first use by fast-travel and merchants will only ever be used to sell items to and buy potions, arrows, and ingots, as every other item will be inferior to what you currently have. The game redeems itself in it's openness to modding. Without mods, the game is just another mediocre RPG. It is highly recommended to install mods before going into the game, as the vanilla experience is extremely lacking. Expand
  66. Aug 8, 2015
    Boring...............!!! All amazing, gfx, scenaries, effects... but.. after 8 hours.. all become terribly boring!!! Side missions are ridicolous, main mission is uninteresting.. 6, maximum!!
  67. Dec 30, 2011
    Gameplay is fun but broken as **** with multiple ways of exploiting it o become a god, such as free-casting, alchemy-enhanced smithing, stun/paralysis locking, ect.

Storywise it is alright but lacking when compared to Oblivion or Morrowind.
  68. Mar 24, 2014
    One of the most compelling RPGs I've played in a long time, Skyrim presents players with all they could ask in this genre: good story, wonderful graphics and ambience, immersive and non-repetitive quests, beautiful and diversified environments, attractive game mechanics (casting spells has never been so fun) and a highly appealing theme (vikings and dragons can't go wrong). I must admitOne of the most compelling RPGs I've played in a long time, Skyrim presents players with all they could ask in this genre: good story, wonderful graphics and ambience, immersive and non-repetitive quests, beautiful and diversified environments, attractive game mechanics (casting spells has never been so fun) and a highly appealing theme (vikings and dragons can't go wrong). I must admit it's hard to stop playing, even after completing the whole game twice. BUT, there's the feeling that something is missing. What could it be? Well, once you get past the distractions, you will realize how utterly broken this game is; it's highly unbalanced in every possible aspect, and it favors exploiting the game's leveling mechanics instead of actually playing in order to level up your skills. If you choose to be a wizard, you will soon realize that magic is pretty weak once you reach a certain point in the game or select a higher difficulty, because the only way to increase magic damage is picking two perks that will (together) boost it by 50%, and that's it. As for the weapons, skill value and perks will increase it's damage by 215% or more (depending on the weapon), and it can be improved with smithing to give over 800% it's initial damage, without cheating. This can be achieved by using your alchemy skill to make potions that increase enchanting, then drink it and enchant your equipment to boost alchemy, repeat the process several times until you have the best possible enchantment potions, then use it to enchant armors which will boost your smithing skill, wear it, drink a smithing potion made with your best alchemy boosting equipment, and, finally, improve your weapon at the grinstone. Then you drink another potion to boost your enchanting and put enchantments on your armor that will increase damage output from weapons. This is the formula for power in Skyrim. I know, it sounds crazy. Anyway, while a Mage will start the game dealing 8 damage with initial spells and improve to a maximum of 80 damage with the top spells and perks, a Warrior or Archer will begin dealing about the same ammount of damage with inferior weapons and skills, but will have his damage improved to over 650 with top enchantments and weapons. And this is only a small example of how unbalanced and exploitable Skyrim is. Once you have your enchanted equipment, all other items you find in the game are just useless and inferior. Skyrim allows the player to save/load at any time, another exploit that takes the fun out of the game; what's the point of having the thrill of being caught pickpocketing when everyone saves the game before such actions to prevent failure? You will save before doing anything in this game to assure your success, because the game allows it. I can't give Skyrim a higher score because, even though it is awesome, it was not tested and balanced before it's release nor patched later, it is broken and will always be. Expand
  69. Mar 6, 2012
    Not as good as Oblivion or Morrowind, everything has been simplified, the game is too easy, there isn't as much content and movement is restricted by mountains and invisible walls. However Skyrim is much easier to get into than these two games and this must also be the reason for all there positive reviews.
  70. euu
    Mar 8, 2012
    Even though Skyrim is by no means terrible, it is by far the worst Elder Scrolls game. If Bethesda continues to dumb down this series it will soon turn into GTA with swords and magic. The attribute system has been removed, now when you level up you spend one point in either health, magicka or stamina, there are no more classes and this greatly affects replayability, the enchanting has beenEven though Skyrim is by no means terrible, it is by far the worst Elder Scrolls game. If Bethesda continues to dumb down this series it will soon turn into GTA with swords and magic. The attribute system has been removed, now when you level up you spend one point in either health, magicka or stamina, there are no more classes and this greatly affects replayability, the enchanting has been dumbed down and the spellmaking has been completely removed. The story and the quests are not that good either. I don't know how you make a story more generic than that of Oblivion, but apparently Bethesda did it. There is nothing more cliche in fantasy games than dragons and Skyrim made them the main focus of the story. That's a shame, because the side plot about the civil war had a lot more potential for an interesting narrative. The UI for the PC is very bad and there are also some bugs( even though not as many as there were in Oblivion).There have been some nice additions, like the ability to wear a weapon in one hand and a spell in the other, the smithing skill is also pretty cool, but these things are not enough to compensate for everything that has been removed. Expand
  71. Apr 19, 2012
    I must admit that Skyrim has disappointed me. It didn't live up to my expectations. This game is an improved version of TES IV: Oblivion. It doesn't really show any innovation. Just improvements... What this game is only good for is exploring. And even if caves and ruins all differ, it still quickly gets repetitive. There's not enough types of opponents. Dragons on the other hand, I mustI must admit that Skyrim has disappointed me. It didn't live up to my expectations. This game is an improved version of TES IV: Oblivion. It doesn't really show any innovation. Just improvements... What this game is only good for is exploring. And even if caves and ruins all differ, it still quickly gets repetitive. There's not enough types of opponents. Dragons on the other hand, I must admit, are epicly made. They are innovative.. But other than that... Well, ok, random events, these are fun as well. But besides that, the story and all of the side quests are really boring. I was seriously hoping that they'll make the story really entertaining... They had so many years to work on that. But all they've done is that they have improved few things, and added dragons. Graphic-wise they've done a good job. I really think this game is far too hyped up. Comparing it to oblivion, it just doesn't offer enough of new things. I got bored sooner than I expected. Oh, and also... "Romancing" is the most shallow in the history of games here. And the only purpose of having a wife is that she may start a shop, and give you money every once in a while... Pros: -Huge open world, which is fun to explore... until it gets boring. -Graphics. -Dragons. Cons: -Just doesn't offer a lot of new things, compared to Oblivion. -Boring main story and side quests. -Could use more types of enemies. Expand
  72. Dec 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. TL;DR I would say that Skyrim IS better than Oblivion, but as soon as you begin, you realize its simply Oblivion with a cool looking cover on it.

The good things are the fact that the graphics have been improved, the engine is improved, and... that's about it. The gameplay does not feel improved, but rather, it feels "cooler" to do things than it did in Oblivion. First off, the game has been simplified to the point of being dumbed down, which is very apparent. Combat has been molested by kill cams, which will force you to watch almost every and any enemy get executed. Its "cool" at first, but the problem arises that combat has also been reduced to "swing/shoot arrows/spam mage spells until you get the kill cam at half health". Your inventory interface was designed by Apple it would seem. The map would be great with its current design if it felt like I wasn't looking at an inaccurate 800x600 looking texture.

The new "talent trees" have also been simplified, and honestly, some of them do not belong. Smithing, for example, seems so out of place as a talent tree. The choices for combat are basic "10% more damage", "10% chance to bleed (utterly useless because enemies die quickly enough before the bleeds even work) or the good old "Your power attacks do 25% more damage and have a chance to decapitate", which should read "keep power attacking until someone dies or gets decapitated, 50/50 chance. Mages have it worse in a sense that every new tier of spells requires the corresponding talent. Overall, the trees were a good idea that failed in execution.

The story, oh god what a travesty. Alduin is arguably one of the worst "world ending ancient evils" i've seen in a while. This ancient dragon, with knowledge to destroy the world and the power to easily wipe out Skyrim, Cyrodil, and beyond, LETS YOU PROGRESS ALONG UNTIL YOU CAN KILL HIM. The story is one of these things that feels like it was the last minute addition, like "Well we got this RPG, and we have 7 days for release, now we just need a story". Hell, at least you could have some attachment to the fight between Martin and Mehrunes Dagon, it felt great at least. At no point in Skyrim's story will you go "wow, I feel so immersed in this!" Dragons were also hyped up and failed because there will be multiple times where you'll have more than 1 "random dragon" attacking, resulting in them being some "supposedly special but actually very common monsters" that end up being more of an annoyance.

The NPC's and their "radiant AI" have not been improved, but character models are at least much much better. I could go on and on, but i'll keep these last complaints short...Skills can be abused for unlimited gold, armor design goes from normal -> dark, spikes -> spikier grimdark. Skills are still grinded in the same way as Oblivion. Combat difficulty has 2 settings, murder everyone, and then come across a mage that one shots you. The world is nice but seemingly empty, save for certain quest dungeons. Quests are no more than they were in Oblivion. There are many others, but i'll stop there.

Overall, Skyrim seems to appear as though it would be Oblivion's big brother. Under close inspection, it is simply a prettier looking Oblivion, plagued with its own problems, built on hype, and marketed to the "casual" gamer. I guess you can say that some things can easily be fixed with a couple mods though, right?
  73. Feb 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a huge fan and modder of the past two TES games, I had high expectations for Skyrim. However, I was rather disappointed. I will list the good and the bad.

THE GOOD

First of all, Skyrim has some of the best graphics I've ever seen in a PC game. Just awesome. I also enjoyed how you were given a choice to side with the Empire to help keep the peace OR side with the Stormcloaks and free Skyrim from Imperial rule. That was a nice change of pace. I certainly had a blast with the Thalmor putting death warrants out on you, as well as thieves trying to rob you. The leveling system is great and the combat is quite good. Hmm.. that's about it.

THE BAD

They took away skills like athletics and acrobatics and get this, portable alchemy! This was a HUGE let down for me. With Morrowind and Oblivion, I enjoyed carrying around my mortar and mixing potions on the fly. Disappointing indeed. Weapons and armor do not degrade so there's no need to repair, ever. This is just plain stupid in my opinion. It takes away realism. Seriously, when you fight, weapons and armor are going to degrade eventually, but no. A HUGE mistake Bethesda. Fighting dragons is cool for awhile, but then after the first dozen or two, it really starts to get boring. I'd rather delve into Oblivion Gates and I hate those things. Also, the shouts you are sent to discover are like the same thing over and over. You go into said ruin, fort, dungeon, fight some monsters, solve a puzzle or two and grab the new shout. Boring and repetitive. Same thing with most of the quests. There are boring and repetitive. Go to said ruin, fort, grab this or that, deliver this or that, blah blah blah. The bounty hunting is really repetitive. Now, what really got me, was, not many people in Skyrim seem to sleep, or if they do, they sleep for like an hour and they're back up again. In Oblivion, people were on tight schedules and it seemed more realistic. The NPCS are very annoying and it seems like everyone hates you. People just do not shut up. They all just jabber on and tell you their entire life story. I actually had to use a mod called "No Npc Greetings" just to give my ears a rest. Seriously, in real life, you don't just stop a stranger in the middle of the street and start telling them your whole life story. Not realistic at all. The guards are terrible too. It's like, your character is not even doing anything or looking for trouble and they just start mouthing off to you like you're some kind of criminal. Terrible execution Bethesda. The Hearthfire DLC is fun but you cannot build your home in a spot of your choosing. Marriage is cool, but you can't have kids, you need to adopt, but then the kids never age. Strange. The wildlife is nothing new. The wolves in Oblivion are cooler looking. Catching diseases is CRAZY in Skyrim. The first wolf I encountered with my character gave me the rattles. First hit too. Better carry lots of Cure Disease Potions with you or garlic bread. I also didn't like character creation. All the races are ugly and hair styles look horrible! There are mods to fix this however, but Oblivion's character generator is better. The landscape in Skyrim I also thought to be dull and dreary. I know it's Skyrim and it's suppose to be like this frozen wasteland, but there's a limit. Everywhere you go, all you see is snow, mountains are gray gray gray. Furthermore, is Bethesda ever going to fix the rain and snow from falling through overhangs? This is so unrealistic. Come on Bethesda... it wouldn't be hard to add some collision to overhangs so your character can stand under to stay dry. It's called "realism." The factions are boring too. Morrowind and Oblivion's factions are far superior and you had to work at them to get ahead. In Skyrim, you can become head guy/gal in a matter of a few days. Did I mention, you get no respect in the game either? Well, you don't. You'd think the guards would recognize you as a member of the Imperial Legion, but no, they still treat you like a commoner. In Oblivion, you were hailed as the Champion of Cyrodiil, Savior of Bruma and everyone loved you, at least if you didn't have have a bounty, but in Skyrim, you come back after the main quest and nothing. No one hails you as a hero. What a let down. Even the kids in the game treat you like dirt. It's bad.

I never dreamed of giving a TES title a score this low, but that's where I see it. A five is all I can give. I think Bethesda made a good game with Skyrim, but it was poorly executed and could have and should have been much better. Let's hope TES VI brings better realism, better factions, better quests and better immersion. 5/10. Extremely Overrated.
  74. Jun 5, 2014
    Yes, it's a good game. I'll just write what's not good in this title.

It's like a HUGE TOTAL CONVERSATION MOD for Oblivion. The inventory system is a joke, hard to find items, makes you lose a lot of time.

And I played it for a good 10 hours. It's fun, but nothing more, not good enough to make me want to finish it.
  75. Jul 8, 2014
    Skyrim is a great game that I have spent countless hours in. Bethesda succeeded in crafting the most beautiful and vibrant open world ever, with rich and varied settings and a deep lore. However they took 2 steps forward and one back compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas. Quest lines are linear, offer absolutely no choices and involve mostly talking to NPC A, going to dungeon B,Skyrim is a great game that I have spent countless hours in. Bethesda succeeded in crafting the most beautiful and vibrant open world ever, with rich and varied settings and a deep lore. However they took 2 steps forward and one back compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas. Quest lines are linear, offer absolutely no choices and involve mostly talking to NPC A, going to dungeon B, killing everything inside, retrieving item C and then going back to NPC A. The game is also littered with bland and static characters who are never influenced by or acknowledge your actions. Most are only good for one of two lines of dialogue. There are very few if any memorable characters, just legions of AI controlled cut outs going about there business. The story falls flat because you never feel connected to the world or that anything is particular at stake. Its a shame because technically Skyrim far outshines its predecessors, and its story and character problems could have been easily solved with some additional writing and voice acting. Expand
  76. Nov 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After Bethesda's fallout 3 I had high hopes that the Elder Scrolls would finally come around to the same concept. Instead you still are John/Jane Doe whilst travelling through a - diversified - wilderness. The world doesn't react to your exploits. You stay a nobody throughout the game and even if you made it to the top of some guild, your underlings still treat you like the new stablehand. Same goes for the NPC population which mostly has just one line for you, regardless of who or what your character is. Some of the worst examples might be the mage at Whiterun, rambling on about you joining the mage guild, even if you're the head of said guild. The civil war, regardless of the side you picked, is bland and simply stops without further addo to throw you into Nobody territorry again. And then there are countless aspects where this game really could have shone if the devs added some depths. Marriage for example. A genius idea, but it stays a skeleton without any detail. All in all, a typical Elder Scroll game. I loved Morrowind when it came out in 2002, but the world moved on since then and what was good enough 10 years ago, isn't state of the art anymore. It's fun to play around a bit, but I never felt the compulsion to do a second playthrough. Expand
  77. May 15, 2013
    The problem here is not that it´s bad, it´s just that the game isn´t a true RPG. The story is boring and uninteresting, the characters too, the graphics are ugly but they set the landscapes and mountains in a magic scene so the graphics can be described as: weak graphics that let the world look beautiful. The combat gets repetitive, the merchants are useless because all stuff and weaponryThe problem here is not that it´s bad, it´s just that the game isn´t a true RPG. The story is boring and uninteresting, the characters too, the graphics are ugly but they set the landscapes and mountains in a magic scene so the graphics can be described as: weak graphics that let the world look beautiful. The combat gets repetitive, the merchants are useless because all stuff and weaponry you get from chests. The only real good thing in this game is the world and epic feeling. That´s it. Buy Skyrim get blown away by the setting and world and have fun, yeah it´s fun even if it´s a bad RPG. I can recommend the game to everyone who never played RPG´s before and which want an easy to play one, but don´t expect too much. You will see how bad it is, but then you will also love it and play it 100 hrs. Try it out and build your own opinion! The PC Version is superior but unstable. Many people have problems with lags, the system requirements are a lie. You can´t be sure if it´s running or not. Get it for console if you are a casual. Expand
  78. Nov 20, 2014
    Fantastic setting, great world, great map. So you can clear and loot and do other unminingful stuff. It is impossible to get involved - it is more like - hmm, I have free half an hour, so maybe a quick race in Forza? Or maybe I just clear some cave in Skyrim. To me this is like a GTA without a plot and with an infinite loot to spend huge amounts of time sorting and crafting. Still, theFantastic setting, great world, great map. So you can clear and loot and do other unminingful stuff. It is impossible to get involved - it is more like - hmm, I have free half an hour, so maybe a quick race in Forza? Or maybe I just clear some cave in Skyrim. To me this is like a GTA without a plot and with an infinite loot to spend huge amounts of time sorting and crafting. Still, the freedom, feeling of being there, art design - that aspects make it a true gem. Too bad it is missing a plot. Sidenote - If Witcher 3 succeeds in combining Skyrim's world and immersion with Witcher's 2 characters, plot and decisions - I may get a game of my life. Expand
  79. Feb 1, 2015
    .mis ming pileesnot ai ofs ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot a
  80. Dec 21, 2011
    They built a huge world with great voice acting and tons to do yet once again forgot about the gameplay which sucked hard. The combat is just so basic and sluggish it has not evolved since the first ones.
    The main story was also horrible, this same company keeps making games with horrible main storys, some of the side quests were better then the main one.
  81. Aug 10, 2012
    Overall, the game is great for about 30 hours and eventually you find yourself bored, there really is no reason to play this game past the Daedric and Guild questlines. One of my major complaints is the level-up system, you can do 3/4 of the major quests and still have 50 destruction, and even when you get all your best gear and stats, there is really no reason for it whatsoever, theOverall, the game is great for about 30 hours and eventually you find yourself bored, there really is no reason to play this game past the Daedric and Guild questlines. One of my major complaints is the level-up system, you can do 3/4 of the major quests and still have 50 destruction, and even when you get all your best gear and stats, there is really no reason for it whatsoever, the variety of monsters is extremely bland, Draugr, bandits, and dragons are pretty much the entirety of the monsters you will see besides the rare boss in the Guild questlines of which most were just boosted versions of regular baddies. Combine this with their dungeons, the most linear dungeons I've ever seen, with the same loot and enemies in almost every one. Combat is dreadful, but honestly was anyone expecting anything but clunky boring combat? The map size is about 3 times larger than it needs to be, the amount of content isn't even close to filling the map, really disappointing. It's not a horrible game, but really lackluster, the only redeeming quality in this is the Daedric/Guild questlines(specifically the Thieves guild, every other guild is horrible). Expand
  82. Apr 13, 2013
    No tengo experiencia en escribir criticas, pero aquí va.
    The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim, tenia muchas esperanzas al ver el teaser trailer de este juego, al jugarlo, gaste varias horas, el juego en si es divertido, la libertad que tenes es inimaginable.
    No tengo experiencia en escribir criticas, pero aquí va.
    Cosas buenas: Gráficos excepcionales, muy buen estilo de combate, las misiones opcionales son muy divertidas (sobre todo los del gremio de los ladrones y The DarkBrotherhood), y varias son mas divertidas que la historia principal del juego. Las ciudad estan muy bien hechas (excepto Markarth)
    Cosas malas: El voice acting es aburrido, es como si los voice actors estaban muy aburrido cuando grababan sus voces para este juego, la historia era bastante mala, muy predecible, muy aburrida, en varios cutscenes me dormía, la inteligencia artificial de los compañeros que te ayudan es muy horrible, se traban con piedras, y encima se mueren de 2 golpes contra una rata de alcantarilla. Subis de nivel extremadamente rápido y el juego no supone ser un desafió, lo jugué directamente en "master" y la verdad no me supuso ninguna dificultad. Los monstruos no cambian su nivel cuando vos subís a medida que juegas al juego. Osea, un día estas en nivel 2 te encentras un Falmer y capaz te da un poco de pelea, pero cuando estas al nivel 10 o mas, lo vences de 1 o 2 golpes. El Sneaking system da miedo, te sorprenderá lo idiotas que son los NPCs al no verte cuando estas al lado de ellos y no te escuchan.
    Otra cosa horrible son las tierras Skyrim, TOOODO pero TOOODO es nieve y nieve y nada mas que nieve, cerca de Whiterun capaz encentras un bosque verde, pero solo cubre como un 5% del mapa. La peleas contra los dragones es horripilante mente fácil (cuando tendría que suponer ser un desafió), las misiones opcionales como la del gremio de los asesinos o incluso las misiones opcionales comunes son muucho mas interesantes que la historia principal del juego. También el oro, el oro es tan pero TAAAN facil de encontrar, que termine con casi 70000 de oro (llegue hasta nivel 54 por cierto), vas a una ruina enana y en cada vasija encontraras como 20 de oro para arriba mínimo. Y una de las cosas que mas me enojo es el conjuro FrostBite, esta muy overpowered, como un poder novice puede llegar a ser tan poderoso como una de las habilidades expertas en Destrucción?.
    Bueno, capaz lo encuentren divertido, pero comparado con su antecesor, este es muy malo, pero le puse 5 porque aunque tenga varias cosas malas, me divierte un poco todavía, no se si recomendarlo, capaz lo disfrutes, pero por poco tiempo...
  83. Jul 8, 2015
    I expected a 10, to be fair: Skyrim didn't live up to it's hype.

Cities are too small, characters are dull and have the same voice actor, story has only 1 ending, combat is the biggest pile of poo I've ever seen, etc, etc.

Even though that, I like the horses, they can't run 12 mile per hour but can walk in 90 degree mountains,
    just...

Nice job bethesda.
  84. Dec 14, 2011
    It's a good game but it could have used another 6 months of QA and bug fixing. The combat is incredibly simple and really could use some work. Most of the characters are forgettable and the story fairly boring.
  85. Jun 6, 2013
    After playing 160 hours of Skyrim I can say one thing for certain about it: "As wide as an ocean, but as deep as puddle". The game world is fully open and contains many many caves, dungeons, cities, creatures, treasures and quests. Within 160 hours of game time over 4 diffrent characters I've burned through no more than 75 of game's vast content (and without the newst DLC There is totalAfter playing 160 hours of Skyrim I can say one thing for certain about it: "As wide as an ocean, but as deep as puddle". The game world is fully open and contains many many caves, dungeons, cities, creatures, treasures and quests. Within 160 hours of game time over 4 diffrent characters I've burned through no more than 75 of game's vast content (and without the newst DLC There is total freedom and you can murder whoever you want, steal whatever you want .This abundance of stuff to do comes with a price though the game is EXTREMELY UNPOLISHED. Quantity over quality is Skyrim's official motto: Dialogues are very poor, quests are short and they are often uninteresting fetch-quests. Bugs are EVERYWHERE. I have the latest steam version AND newest modders community's patch. These are annoying, for example characters firing dialogue at wrong moments, NPCs dissapearing or freezing, terrible balance (i.e dragons killed by shopkeepers), awkward clipping of weapons...there is no end to those little bugs. And there are also major bugs, preventing you from completing quests. All of this really breaks immersion, yes imagination helps to explain the game's broken content but it's not enough for me.
    Combat system is quite meh, every few sword-swing you have to get into menu to drink a health potion or select a diffrent spell (there are hotkeys but too few). Character development is somewhat unique to this game, kinda too simplified but not really a major flaw. The graphics are bearable especially if you use mods.
    Mods are great in this game, they add tons of new content. With mods I'd give this game 7/10 but without it's barely a 6/10 for me. It's time to finally stop playing this game hoping that around the corner there is higher-quality content. After 160 hours trust me there is none.
  86. Jan 26, 2012
    I have played the game all the way through, meaning the main story and all of the listed quests. My character is a 52 level Rogue, with maximum skills in stealth, lockpick, pickpocket, enchanting, blacksmithing and one handed combat. I have also replayed the game as a mage. The mage is much less satisfying. The spells are pretty lame. I do far more damage as a rogue with back stab.I have played the game all the way through, meaning the main story and all of the listed quests. My character is a 52 level Rogue, with maximum skills in stealth, lockpick, pickpocket, enchanting, blacksmithing and one handed combat. I have also replayed the game as a mage. The mage is much less satisfying. The spells are pretty lame. I do far more damage as a rogue with back stab. The game the first time was a lot of fun and it is worth getting. Replay-ability is not very high. While there is a lot to do there is not much variability in how it gets done. My favorite game from a replay-ability point of view has to be Dragon Age Origins. Must have replayed 20 times. Played all the races, genders and combat styles. Plus managing the group added an extra dimension. So, while Skyrim is a very good game the first time through don't expect to get much out if the second time around. Expand
  87. Nov 19, 2014
    Offers a big open world and creates a genuine sense of adventure, but after a while everything feels very samey. Looting tombs and dungeons become a routine chore and the core, hack and slash gameplay soon turn into a dull affair.
  88. Dec 25, 2011
    Tremendous fun at first, but the game's charm wears off quickly. Each subsequent installment of TES series removes more of the RPG elements, and Skyrim is pretty much just a FPP hack'n'slash. The main plot is a cookie-cutter sub-par heroic fantasy dragon slaying "adventure" and side quests are rather disappointing too - kill, exterminate, assassinate, murder and fetch. Playing a warriorTremendous fun at first, but the game's charm wears off quickly. Each subsequent installment of TES series removes more of the RPG elements, and Skyrim is pretty much just a FPP hack'n'slash. The main plot is a cookie-cutter sub-par heroic fantasy dragon slaying "adventure" and side quests are rather disappointing too - kill, exterminate, assassinate, murder and fetch. Playing a warrior archetype will get you bored to death, sneaky rogues and mage might fare better though. The world is big, but compared to, for example, Morrowind, it's bland, default north of the default fantasy setting. Exploration isn't really worth the effort, random dungeons litter the landscape, filled with random baddies to murder, bearing random, level-scaled loot. There's barely anyone to talk to outside of main cities - not saying that's a bad thing, since the dialogues are quite badly written and uninteresting, voiced by about 10 actors at that. Not to mention the interface, which was designed for consoles and is agonizingly annoying to use on the PC, and the outdated graphics. This game jest needs mods to be decent, and without them it's a solid 4/10. Skyrim made me look more favourably on Oblivion. Expand
  89. Jan 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have been a fan of TES series since DaggerFall. (I havent played Arena.) I loved Dagger Fall for its complex open world and advanced game mechanics. Of course it had its faults but they were undermined by the huge myriad of features the game had. Morrowind cut the features down a little bit but the incredibly detailed and interesting world it gave you to explore, the complex story line and still relatively complex character mecahnics more than made up for that. Oblivion dumbed down the character mechanics even further and even its pretty graphics couldnt hide the very generic game world provided. WHich leads us on to Skyrim. Well its both better and worse than Oblivion in many ways. The game world is visually stunning, very diverse in encounters and quickly becomes tedious. After several hours of walking through the varied locations you soon realise that although one place looks different from the other, they all act and behave the same. The character mechanics have been dumbed down to a horrible degree. Attributes are as good as gone with only three remaining. Instead they have given us the Fallout 3 style perks. You get to go up one attribute and one perk per level. This makes it VERY hard to care about leveling or the character you are creating. The quests are generally the same, go here, kill this, get that, come back. After 7 - 8 of these you will start to discover boredom at its best. The quest storylines are also far too "Awsome".[spoiler] For example, the mage questline has you saving the world as an apprentice and then suddenly rising to Archmage [/spoiler] I would say that after not too long, you will have saved the world at least a dozen times. Skyrim, on the surface is a great game, well worthy of the praise it has received. But as soon as you explore the game a little further, it quickly shows the lack of depth or longevity this game has to offer. All in all, I would say this game is on par with Oblivion which is not a good thing. I would personally buy this game at a low price or wait for one of its competitors to see if they are able to offer a better experience. Expand
  90. Jan 20, 2013
    There are many great games , and I understand that Skyrim is called one of the best games , the graphics are great no doubt , but I find it a complicated and extreme long game.
    BUt the Elder Scrolls are a CLASSIC!
  91. Mar 25, 2013
    The game gets a 7, because while it's a great free roaming action rpg, the missions are basically can be summed up as "go here kill something" or "go here, kill something and bring me (insert an item)". While the world is full of monsters and dragons and bandits..it feels static. Nothing changes, no matter how many crypts and dungeons you clear, it seems like they weren't really botheringThe game gets a 7, because while it's a great free roaming action rpg, the missions are basically can be summed up as "go here kill something" or "go here, kill something and bring me (insert an item)". While the world is full of monsters and dragons and bandits..it feels static. Nothing changes, no matter how many crypts and dungeons you clear, it seems like they weren't really bothering anyone, and it won't make anything different, since you cleared many bunch of them. People say the same things, act the same way, doing the same exact things, like nothing has happened. Not even the threat of the dragons really bothered them at all, nevermind the fact, that dragons seem to be rather occupied by killing the wildlife anyway. The magic is very hampered and uninspiring, while the close combat feels like just whacking around. Graphics is great, although there are plenty of low resolution textures, that makes it look like a game from 2006. The real score the game should deserve would be around 5 or 6, but because of the thousands of mods and the time I have put into it, it gets a 7. All the so called pro-reviewers giving 9 and10 are smoking something, that they should share. There is no way this game is perfect. Expand
  92. Nov 13, 2014
    When I started playing Skyrim I was flashed, the world was big and looked good and it really felt like an Elder Scrolls game.

But the longer I played the more I realized how shallow it is. The game is basically a giant hub for Draugr dungeons with a dragon here and there that I can oneshot with the right build, no matter how strong. The game is a major downgrade from Oblivion, which

But the longer I played the more I realized how shallow it is.
    The game is a major downgrade from Oblivion, which was already a major downgrade from Morrowind, but at least Oblivion fixed a lot of bugs compared to Morrowind.
    Skyrim on the other hand has a worse leveling system, a less complex fighting system, badly balanced skill trees, uncreative quests, a badly written plot and badly empty constructed Cities.

The only thing rescuing Skyrim from being completely redundant is how easy it is to mod, like any recent game made by Bethesda.
  93. Feb 20, 2015
    Three months after 11/11/11 I tried to play Skyrim. I won't repeat the shameful memories of those early days we all know so well. Just over three years later I wanted to give it another shot. I endeavored to mod Oblivion's half-baked successor into playability, to try and achieve an experience on par with Oblivion (or better yet Fallout New Vegas). I'm sorry to report that all theThree months after 11/11/11 I tried to play Skyrim. I won't repeat the shameful memories of those early days we all know so well. Just over three years later I wanted to give it another shot. I endeavored to mod Oblivion's half-baked successor into playability, to try and achieve an experience on par with Oblivion (or better yet Fallout New Vegas). I'm sorry to report that all the modding in the world can't save this game - well, at least not when its done by a non-programmer like myself. Skyrim simply cannot escape its dumbed down, form-over-function console roots. The hopelessly poor voice acting, ugly Havok engine and tendency to crash at the drop of a hat..its all still there, waiting to disappoint you profoundly. Considering that each TES title since Daggerfall has been more about pushing the limits of console graphics rather than PC gameplay, I don't even want to think what the next installment will be like. Now we're hearing sickening rumors that the next Fallout may be an MMO. If that comes to pass then any hope for Bethesda's redemption is probably dead. Skyrim was successful for one simple reason: gamers are desperate for *anything* with some actual depth, even if its only the depth of a kiddie pool complete with all the bodily excretions you'd expect. I don't know if its even possible but I would love to see a team of master modders put together a big package of various Skyrim mods that create as much immersion and quality gameplay as possible. I would like to think that with enough talent and hard work this game could be salvaged. As I struggled for well over a hundred of hours of fighting mods and the game's shortcomings I kept seeing little hints of promise glimmering beneath the dull veneer of simplistic gameplay, buggy mechanics and utterly generic story. I wish someone could make Skyrim the game it was hyped as being. Expand
  94. Apr 7, 2014
    Skyrim does a very good job of giving you a huge world to explore, unfortunately the scale might be its greatest downside as well. It feels like not enough butter spread over too much bread. There are little to no memorable characters besides dragons and there are very few genuinely interesting quests to partake in. In my 85 hours spent wandering the lands of Skyrim, no particular momentSkyrim does a very good job of giving you a huge world to explore, unfortunately the scale might be its greatest downside as well. It feels like not enough butter spread over too much bread. There are little to no memorable characters besides dragons and there are very few genuinely interesting quests to partake in. In my 85 hours spent wandering the lands of Skyrim, no particular moment truly stands out to me. I find this to be rather disappointing after playing Oblivion... I'll never forget my skooma escapades or my quests for the Madgod, but my memories of yelling at some wrinkly old men on top of a mountain are already fading. Expand
  95. Jan 7, 2012
    I have to change my intial score of this game. I orginally made my previous score of 10 after playing this game for just over 40 hours. After I had put 80 hours into the game I find myself disappointed. I can say that the effect they were going for in Skyrim has been achieved, but the fact Skyrim is so utter repetitous and cliche in its design makes the game disappointing. On a gameplayI have to change my intial score of this game. I orginally made my previous score of 10 after playing this game for just over 40 hours. After I had put 80 hours into the game I find myself disappointed. I can say that the effect they were going for in Skyrim has been achieved, but the fact Skyrim is so utter repetitous and cliche in its design makes the game disappointing. On a gameplay level its ok, not too hard to grasp and easy to find some interesting place to explore. The storyline and characters are a little bland, a lot of the time I found myself lacking the initiative to continue into that dungeon or cave because I found the enemies tedious. The engine seems to struggle quite a bit on my computer, (my computer can play The Witcher 2 on close to high). I think it plays like the engine has been pushed to its graphical limit TBH. It is hard to find a comfortable framerate in this game, it jerks between 10-45 frames constantly. I encountered some bugs (notably a bug where I was unable to proceed through a gate), but nothing to cry about. Please Bethesda, concentrate on trying to find that little place in your minds that wants to take people to another world. So what if the fans want dragons. Expand
  96. Dec 26, 2011
    As somebody who didn't really play Oblivion, this game started out as very impressive. However, after having put a lot of time into the game, the flaws start to build up. The graphics are indeed very impressive and detailed. Facial expressions are somewhat limited but this is more than made up by the beautiful scenery. Voice acting is relatively high quality though not in abundance - itsAs somebody who didn't really play Oblivion, this game started out as very impressive. However, after having put a lot of time into the game, the flaws start to build up. The graphics are indeed very impressive and detailed. Facial expressions are somewhat limited but this is more than made up by the beautiful scenery. Voice acting is relatively high quality though not in abundance - its kind of annoying talking to someone with the exact same voice as somebody in the last town. Combat is fun though it doesn't have much depth. I enjoyed it as far as hack-and-slack goes but due to the 2-ability only gameplay, and the clunky way to change your active abilities, I found that spells and strategy became a bit pointless. Additionally, the game is relatively easy and no strategy other than 'hit them hard' was really needed. In any of the more difficult fights you simply paused the game and spammed healing potions... While the game was immersive graphically-wise and the storyline is fine in most places, the quests are typically boring. I found the thieves guild extremely fun, but otherwise I found that you just went somewhere to kill someone or get an item from the back of a cannon-fodder filled cave (with exceptions of course). I did not find the atmosphere or characters to be deep, comparing it with games like Dragon Age, the characters were often very NPC-like with little back story or personality. While big cities were usually fine the smaller ones lacked characters and for example, there is virtually no one in the smaller inns except a bard and an innkeeper. Lastly, there are, as stated often, quite a few bugs with the game. Throughout my whole playthrough I found myself without a companion because my first one had bugged and nobody else would join me because the game seemed to think I still had my first one. Not that most games are without their bugs, all of these issues seem to ring loudly because of how over-hyped the game has been. While this review does seem critical, the game is definately fairly good and gave me a lot of hours of gameplay. Expand
  97. Mar 11, 2014
    I find there's very little variation in Skyrim: enemies may look different but you fight them all in the same way and fighting is about 80% of the game play. There are no hard enemies in Skyrim apart from the occasional dragons, who in my experience tend to more concerned with immolating wildlife than letting me murder them, the cowards. I don't feel compelled to explore the world when II find there's very little variation in Skyrim: enemies may look different but you fight them all in the same way and fighting is about 80% of the game play. There are no hard enemies in Skyrim apart from the occasional dragons, who in my experience tend to more concerned with immolating wildlife than letting me murder them, the cowards. I don't feel compelled to explore the world when I already know that it's pretty homogenous and my interaction with it doesn't have any progression. The game gets easier as you go as you weren't challenged in the first place and eventually I just got bored and stopped playing. That said, the game engine is good, the leveling system works well and most of the bugs have been iron out. There are, however, some inconsistencies, errors, plot holes etc. which make me wonder how much time was spent testing this game. For example - why are over 90% of the population of Skyrim bandits? Why is every fort a ruin occupied by outlaws? When I'm obviously trying to save the world and everybody knows it, why do some NPCs think that their petty quibbling is more important the whole damn planet? In one quest you'll poison a barrel of mead in an out building of a brewery but when you return to the main building 5 seconds later the poisoned mead is ready in a tankard. This is just sloppy. Couple these with the way all new Bethesda games are released as a pile of bugs held together with spider's web and you've got a company who care far more about making money than making games and will go in the same bin as EA if they keep it up.

It's better than Oblivion, not as good as Morrowind or Nehrim.
  98. Feb 4, 2015
    AAA games leaving old school players like high elves, who leave middle earth with ships in Tolkein's tales. I'm not surprised at high ratings because this isn't a bad game for average console player or player who hasn't got enough time to invest in games. Yes, this game has huge world but with lifeless characters. Yes, it has an easy to learn character improvement system but with brokenAAA games leaving old school players like high elves, who leave middle earth with ships in Tolkein's tales. I'm not surprised at high ratings because this isn't a bad game for average console player or player who hasn't got enough time to invest in games. Yes, this game has huge world but with lifeless characters. Yes, it has an easy to learn character improvement system but with broken mechanics. Yes, you have dragons in this game but they are desperate to survive against a town guard's attack. Yes, you have many quests to do but without emotion and they are repetitive. You have cities without people, you have roads without surprising adventures, you have dungeons without danger of life... I miss Morrowind. I miss unsolvable character creation mechanics and rich choices. I miss strange looking places and unknown, deadly dungeons. I miss playing a real RPG...Good luck with this game. Expand
  99. Apr 30, 2015
    This game is one if not the holy grail of the RPG Action Sandbox. The freedom of choice is pretty ample in most aspect, such as the construction of your characters being able to chose between different combat styles along with varying approaches such as stealth, ranged, ranged stealth, shield and one handed, two handed, dual wielding, etc.

It also provides out of combat approaches, such

It also provides out of combat approaches, such as blacksmithing or persuassion, which allow you to wield highly rated equipment that can compensate for your lack in combat skills, or earn enough money to hire help to go on your quests, along with posibilities to bribe or intimidate enemies or guards; or simply use your economic situation to pay for combat or stealth or even magic lessons and gradually become a skilled warrior while specialicing in money control.

The enemies are diverse, with distinct behaviour and their own lairs and settings, which are pretty well constructed, presenting ancient traps (ancient fortress), human lied traps (bandit caves or forts), or natural ambushes (Frostbite Spiders... Yuck!).

Magic and powers are also present in the game, having the traditional fire, ice and lightning spells, which come in the form of "walls", beams, shields or projectiles; and other spells such as invocation of creatures and spiritual weapons, fear and appreciation spells that will change the npcs behaviour towards you or each other, weapon enchanting, healing and undead turning spells, telekinesis and magic shields, etc.

The powers include the racial minor and or major powers, which vary depending on the race you may choose, the stones power which can be obtained in landmarks around Skyrim and present diverse powers such as revive a corpse for a limited time, poison an enemy, turn invisible for a short period, etc. This is complemented by other aquired powers, like the ability to turn into a werewolf, or a vampire, and lots of other powers granted trough questlines. The main quest starts you in the way of the voice, which allows you to project magic in shouts with little cooldown and varying, but often devastating effects (a huge force push "Fus Ro Dah", fire breath, ice breath, cold fire, disarm enemies (or allies), leave enemies (or allies) on the verge of death, and a long etc.

The map itself is fairly huge and provides tons of fortress, villages, caves and landmark or temples to explore, each of them fairly unique and well designed.

The npcs have their own life agenda, following slightly varying routines and all of them have independent disposition towards you. For example: if you are a dark elf you will be hated in some towns, leading to people treating you harshly and lowering their disposition towards you, meaning they will be less inclined to follow your persuasion intents on them. This can be changed by either helping them directly (with quests if they offer one or with shop patronage if they own one) or by helping their faction (helping their city or guild if they belong to one). You can always try to threaten them or put a charm on them that will turn them into your emotional slaves for a short time. If they like you, in the long time you will be helped if attacked near them, they will gift you items or coins sometimes, and if they die, you will be a beneficiary towards their heirloom.

All in all its a great game and it comes with one of the best and biggest modding communities, which have achieved amazing results for mod standards. But sadly, the horrible attempt of Bethesda and Valve to force us to pay for mods to get more money have hurt the modding community pretty hard, causing disloyal competence during the time the paying mods were active that now resulted in a fragmented community, with old hard working members that used to work together towards a goal opposed or outright rejected by their old partners, meaning some modding teams may not be again working together. Basically, mods were constucted with the help of numerous peoples and other mods, with the help and credit of the original authors. This allowed the creation of huge campaigns and assets. Once the paid mods were released, the scene turned competitive, work that before was borrowed was suddenly stolen, some modders tried to go standalone, hurting their counterparts, and some others leaved feeling insulted by the new system. Skyrim was a modding paradise. It will be long until it recovers from the damage done by the greed of the companies.

This game would be a 9, but after damaging the community by acting selfishly it is not the same.

1. Feb 29, 2012
  2. Feb 14, 2012
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012