8.3

1. Apr 15, 2014
    HOW I RATE: 10-9 score: perfect or near-perfect don't exist; 8 score: one of the best games ever. Top score; 7-6 score: great but not one of the best; 5-below score: serious gameplay flaws.
    ===========
    It's an incredibly immersive experience with much to love but it suffers from a sense of tediousness after some time due to the repetitive gameplay.
  2. Apr 12, 2014
    This game is amazing I love it I do not know any one who does not like this game. You get to pick who can be, what creature you want to be. It is just flat out amazing! I really prefer this game.
  3. Apr 12, 2014
    Skyrim has really lived up to the expectations many have anticipated and imprinted its footsteps on the world of gaming. When new rpgs are made, they will most certainly be compared to this masterpiece. It can stand side by side with Oblivion, another great rpg of this decade (if you didn't already know). The pure level of immersion and the leveling system is spectacular, and the level of freedom is unparalleled.

But what makes this game really great is the active modding community. I love how every person's Skyrim can be tailored to how they like it. Skyrim is very easy to mod, and the selection of mods are extremely numerous.

You can go on for hours on end and find new things to do with just the base game. But if you want even more, then getting the right mods can basically make your game perfect
  4. Apr 12, 2014
    Skyrim is a huge game but it doesn't feel special or unique. Most places and dungeons look the same, NPC's are a big disappointment and it is based on quantity rather than quality. Menus and inventory screens are bad, navigation is really confusing and time consuming.
  5. Apr 8, 2014
    This is my favorite game of all time. I have played 500+ hours and i am still finding new ways to enjoy this game. The story is top notch. The combat works with all weapons, i have played all of them and have never had a problem. The quests are varied and fun, you will never find two quests that are the same! If you are looking for a solid single player RPG this game is definitely worth a buy!
  6. Apr 7, 2014
    Skyrim does a very good job of giving you a huge world to explore, unfortunately the scale might be its greatest downside as well. It feels like not enough butter spread over too much bread. There are little to no memorable characters besides dragons and there are very few genuinely interesting quests to partake in. In my 85 hours spent wandering the lands of Skyrim, no particular moment truly stands out to me. I find this to be rather disappointing after playing Oblivion... I'll never forget my skooma escapades or my quests for the Madgod, but my memories of yelling at some wrinkly old men on top of a mountain are already fading. Expand
  7. Apr 3, 2014
    What a shining example of exactly what a modern AAA title should be. Stunning graphics, interesting and diverse gameplay, hours and hours (maybe hundreds of hours) of content. This game may never get old for me. Well tested, well-realized, interesting storyline/story arcs as well as diversity of content really make this game hold up well, not just against its competitors, but it's 2014, and this game is still superior to many on the market.

The only complaint that I have, which kept them from getting a full 10/10 was the lack of diversity of voice actors. You will hear the same guy voicing dozens of characters, and with no effort to change his voice. They should have hired a few more people, other than that, it's fantastic, well worth the money - you are going to have a lot of fun with this game.
  8. Apr 3, 2014
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Took Game Of The Year Before, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Took Game Of The Year 2011.
    In Each RPG Game I Don't Usually Spend More Than 50 Hours. I Just Have Spend My More Than 50 Hours In Borderlands 2 And Skyrim, The Best Three RPG Games Of My Entire Are: Final Fantasy 7, Fallout 3 and Borderlands 2 But Skyrim Is Very Very Very Away Better Than All Of
    Them. Skyrim Is A Brilliant Game And "Time Killer Or Waster". Skyrim Is One Of The Very Best Games Of The Entire History. You'll Never Forget The Experience And Everything. The Best Method of Modifying Describing And Visualizing It Is PLAY IT. Expand
  9. Apr 1, 2014
    The Elder Scrolls series is my favorite game series to date, and I have played Morrowind and Oblivion over 200 hours a piece over the years.

For people who don't know what the game is about, it is different than any other game because of the freedoms you are given as the player. The beginning of the game is the only portion of the game that is linear (and all it really is, is a tutorial
    anyway). After that, you are free to explore the world in anyway you want. There is a main quest, but really, it's really your choice on what you want to do. If you want to build a fighting character, you can train your Health and Stamina and join the Fighters Guild and do missions that are based on killing stuff along with having a good story in the background. If you want to be a Mage, you train your Magicka and you go to the College of Winterhold and learn different spells that you can use to make your character better. You can also be an assassin, merchant, or a master of apothecary. All in all, it really doesn't matter what you do but personally I like joining the Dark Brotherhood and making an assassin with magical abilities such as invisibility (I've played for over 400 hours over the past two years on the difficulty Master).

If you correlate this review to my PS3 version, you can see that I am giving this version a nine because of more fluid game play and the ability to 'mod' the game however you want.

If you are a parent this holiday, I would recommend getting this game over Call Of Duty 14 for your kid if he's 16 to 18. Especially if he gets good grades in school and is a critical thinker because this game requires much more critical thinking than Call Of Duty 14 where you just shoot at people, get shot 1,000 times and don't die. I do understand that this is my personal opinion but Skyrim has won Game Of The Year by multiple publications and is regarded in nerdom as one of the best games ever made.

And yes, I do have horns on my forehead. Because I was born that way. How about that Todd Howard.
  10. Apr 1, 2014
    Boy oh boy, The Elder Scrolls, my favorite video game series of all time. From Arena to Oblivion, Bethesda Studios have delivered possibly the best Western RPG's to date. Then there's this. I both hate and love this game at the same. You might wonder why I'd give it a 10 while I hate part of it, but that's because what I like outweighs what I dislike about 50:1. Skyrim has the biggest, most detailed, and most interactive world of any game, ever. It also has very in-depth character building (role-playing) and combat. However, there are tow things I HATE about this game. Those are the bugs, which almost break the game, and the linear dialogue, which is the opposite of interactive.
    Pros: - Interactive world (From fishing, farming, and house-building to murdering townspeople and robbing houses, you can do just about anything in the world of Skyrim)
    - Role playing (You can be whatever you want, seriously. Want to be a sailor? Check. Want to be a merchant? Go for it. Want to be a townsguard? Be my guest. The RPing possibilities are endless)
    - Combat (The combat is flexible and satisfying. Being able to wield a mace in one hand and a fireball spell in the other is just one of hundreds of combinations. On top of that, the executions make for some extremely satisfying kills)
    - Voice acting (There are many different voices in Skyrim, each very talented, and bring life to the virtual world)
    - Enemy diversity (I couldn't count the amount of enemies in Skyrim if I tried. There are so many different creatures, which make each encounter refreshing)
    Cons: - Bugs (There are far too many bugs for it to be excused. The bugs include game freezing, falling through the world, disappearing items, and audio glitches. However, some slack should be given due to the sheer size of the game)
    - Story (Dragons, what could be more entertaining than that? Almost everything. The story is quite bland, but at least includes a lot of the rich Elder Scrolls lore)
    - Dialogue (The dialogue has very few options, making the characters hardly believable. This brings me back to the legendary Morrowind, which had EXTREMELY interactive dialogue, giving many different options and topics)
    Overall, it's one of the best games I've ever played, and possible the best Elder Scrolls game. The game breaking bugs, bland story, and lack of interactive dialogue are more than excused when considering the sheer amount of content and role-playing that make Skyrim a better world than ours... No joke.
  11. Mar 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the first Elder Scrolls game I have ever played. Originally I had played it on Xbox, but when my ex and I split, (Xbox was his) I got the game for PC. At first it was kind of a pain to learn the controls, but I went out and got myself a game controller for the PC, and it was all gravy after that. My PC is not one of those super powerful PCs, I have a quad core processor and an AMD graphics card, yet I can play on high settings, with a serious collection of mods, and DLC's added. It crashed one time due to a mod not being compatible with another mod I already had, but other then that it works amazingly well. There are a ton of quests, and stories within the plot. Would have been nice if they put more voice actors, and less repetitive quotes from NPC's. I often want to beat up the guards with their "arrow in the knee" thing over and over and over. Yep. Also, it would have been neat to see a little more complex interactions between mates or followers with the main character. My husband- he is really boring, like a piece of furniture that hands me coins or food every so often. I mean, they should at least fight over money, hold hands, make babies, you know? Though he wanted to marry after I beat him up in a brawl, that was pretty amusing. The Hearthfire add on allows adoption, however. Overall, I really like the game, and I am looking forward to seeing what the next game will be like. Expand
  12. Mar 29, 2014
    Out of the box this game is mediocre at best. Thankfully mods can save many of the glaring flaws such as the world scaling to your level and removing magical compass markers, limitless fast travel and so on.

The core mechanics is very much dumbed down since Morrowind and sadly cannot really be fixed via mods. Todd Howard evidently is in charge and he is well known for enjoying action
    games rather than RPG games. It shows.

Factions in Skyrim is extremely underused and underwelming. Many key NPCs are invulnerable, breaking immersion.

To sum things up: There are many flawsbut with mods you can enjoy a few hundred hours of gaming.
  13. Mar 26, 2014
    A solid and undenyably pleasing role-playing experience that advocates open-world exploration. Issues with proper difficulty implementation, limited cast of voice-actors and rather weak DLC's aside, Skyrim is a blast for any true Nord and I keep playing it to this very day, years after release due to the underwhelming other alternatives currently being spewed out by the "AAA" Industry.
  14. Mar 24, 2014
    One of the most compelling RPGs I've played in a long time, Skyrim presents players with all they could ask in this genre: good story, wonderful graphics and ambience, immersive and non-repetitive quests, beautiful and diversified environments, attractive game mechanics (casting spells has never been so fun) and a highly appealing theme (vikings and dragons can't go wrong). I must admit it's hard to stop playing, even after completing the whole game twice. BUT, there's the feeling that something is missing. What could it be? Well, once you get past the distractions, you will realize how utterly broken this game is; it's highly unbalanced in every possible aspect, and it favors exploiting the game's leveling mechanics instead of actually playing in order to level up your skills. If you choose to be a wizard, you will soon realize that magic is pretty weak once you reach a certain point in the game or select a higher difficulty, because the only way to increase magic damage is picking two perks that will (together) boost it by 50%, and that's it. As for the weapons, skill value and perks will increase it's damage by 215% or more (depending on the weapon), and it can be improved with smithing to give over 800% it's initial damage, without cheating. This can be achieved by using your alchemy skill to make potions that increase enchanting, then drink it and enchant your equipment to boost alchemy, repeat the process several times until you have the best possible enchantment potions, then use it to enchant armors which will boost your smithing skill, wear it, drink a smithing potion made with your best alchemy boosting equipment, and, finally, improve your weapon at the grinstone. Then you drink another potion to boost your enchanting and put enchantments on your armor that will increase damage output from weapons. This is the formula for power in Skyrim. I know, it sounds crazy. Anyway, while a Mage will start the game dealing 8 damage with initial spells and improve to a maximum of 80 damage with the top spells and perks, a Warrior or Archer will begin dealing about the same ammount of damage with inferior weapons and skills, but will have his damage improved to over 650 with top enchantments and weapons. And this is only a small example of how unbalanced and exploitable Skyrim is. Once you have your enchanted equipment, all other items you find in the game are just useless and inferior. Skyrim allows the player to save/load at any time, another exploit that takes the fun out of the game; what's the point of having the thrill of being caught pickpocketing when everyone saves the game before such actions to prevent failure? You will save before doing anything in this game to assure your success, because the game allows it. I can't give Skyrim a higher score because, even though it is awesome, it was not tested and balanced before it's release nor patched later, it is broken and will always be. Expand
  15. Mar 23, 2014
    I have tryed it multiple times yet can get to like this game. The story is boring to me and nothing put me into the game. I always only think to skip the dialog as it look empty. Combat aren't really difficult, just use your friend to tank forever and kill it from the side. Bad story, no difficulty, faulty menu. Happy for those who liked it. This game sucks for me.
  16. Mar 22, 2014
    This game is nearly endless, so as talking about it. Even after completing everything, there's always tons of things to do as soon as you sit and start playing. Sometimes you lose yourself in it. But it has to be a little smarter. Not just in crafting and enchanting. With all these great dialogues and everything. I'd like to use my head just a little bit. Not just go straight. Do the quest, and return every time. I'm not an 8 years old boy, and the game is rated M for Mature. Expand
  17. Mar 22, 2014
    Skyrim is the role playing game (RPG) for the non-RPG gamer. It's a visually gorgeous world with countless quests and many secrets. Grip your sword tight when meet your first dragon.
  18. Mar 21, 2014
    I think this game is ok. Not amazing, not bad. However here are my problems with the game: Walking is too slow, running is too fast. The PC controls for lockpicking are bad. However the overall game isn't bad. Also there are parts in the game you can exploit so you can finish the game quick.
  19. Mar 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best games ever I've ever played I give it 10/10 as much as I'm a gamer and I play alot of games!
    The score should GROW UP! So thumb it up guys!
  20. Mar 18, 2014
    Subtract everything you liked about the other elder scrolls and well you basically have this game. A very limited spell system, with an overpowered fireball, game play that feels more like an mmo than an elder scrolls, very little combat on main thorough fares, even in the wilderness battles are few and far between. Combined with that and the fact that enemy spells were hitting me through a solid mountain when I wasn't even in line of sight, demolished any chance of me playing this game past that point. Expand
  21. Mar 15, 2014
    It's very hard to rate this game properly. I'd give it a 9, but looking at all the trouble I had with bugs and mods, especially glitching AI I can't rate it higher than a solid 7. It's awesome but note that most of its awesomeness come from mods rather than the vanilla version. Therefore mods are MUST HAVE else you might as well skip it. I had a lot of fun in some moments while wasting dozens of hours installing mods or figuring out why it quits to desktop on launch again.

GOOD
    - Huge open world with massive amount of all sorts of content
    - Nicely done character progression, be whatever character you want, a mage with a bow, sure, a heavy-armor warrior with healing and summons, go for it no problem
    - INSANE AMOUNTS of quality mods that can make the game the way you want it
    - Very good soundtrack that adds immersion
    - Total freedom, no artifical obstacles for the player like no attacking NPCs in towns
    - Living world with every character having its own routine and reactions to your actions
    - Very developed world with its own races, gods, problems and traditions, more unique then most fantasy worlds

BAD
    - Insane amunts of bugs and rough edges, especially regarding to game's AI that is, well, retarted (mostly fixed by mods though)
    - Silly design which often breaks immersion (example: a bear and a few wolves taking down a dragon or shopkeepers stronger than ancient monsters)
    - Game is stretched too far by using idiotic radiant (randomly-generated super-repetetive grind type quests) and generic dungeons with same enemy types (bandits, bandits, bandits, ohh a giant spider, bandits, bandits with better gear...), feels sometimes like a single-player MMO
    - VERY few dialogue choices, no morality system, very undeveloped RPG aspect, made me feel like a tourist rather than a hero

Overall I think everyone should play it, it's a great game that has great trouble with being unpolished and buggy and a lot of completely retarted design, which mostly is fixed by the mods which there are thousands of. Highly recommended to any true pc gamer, especially cRPG fans.
  22. Mar 13, 2014
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a game I have put many hours into, and I go like it quite a lot, but is isn't perfect...

Pros:
    Huge Open World
    Lots of quests to keep you occupied
    Mind blowing soundtrack

Cons:
    Combat can be clunky at times
    Some of the side quests can be repetitive after a while

Skyrim does have its problems, but it is still worth giving a go by all means!
  23. Mar 12, 2014
    I love this game and I cant wait for elder scrolls 6. Anyone giving it a 0,1,2, or three don't know what they are talking about or barely played it. I just got the game a few days ago and have spent 34 hours on it.
  24. Mar 12, 2014
    Simplemente, aburrido. Buenos gráficos, un gran mundo para explorar y mucha libertad. No está mal, supongo... para el que prefiera eso a una buena historia, personajes carismáticos y algo de personalidad.

Pd: si buscas un RPG, mira en otra parte. Aquí no tenemos de eso.
  25. Mar 11, 2014
    I find there's very little variation in Skyrim: enemies may look different but you fight them all in the same way and fighting is about 80% of the game play. There are no hard enemies in Skyrim apart from the occasional dragons, who in my experience tend to more concerned with immolating wildlife than letting me murder them, the cowards. I don't feel compelled to explore the world when I already know that it's pretty homogenous and my interaction with it doesn't have any progression. The game gets easier as you go as you weren't challenged in the first place and eventually I just got bored and stopped playing. That said, the game engine is good, the leveling system works well and most of the bugs have been iron out. There are, however, some inconsistencies, errors, plot holes etc. which make me wonder how much time was spent testing this game. For example - why are over 90% of the population of Skyrim bandits? Why is every fort a ruin occupied by outlaws? When I'm obviously trying to save the world and everybody knows it, why do some NPCs think that their petty quibbling is more important the whole damn planet? In one quest you'll poison a barrel of mead in an out building of a brewery but when you return to the main building 5 seconds later the poisoned mead is ready in a tankard. This is just sloppy. Couple these with the way all new Bethesda games are released as a pile of bugs held together with spider's web and you've got a company who care far more about making money than making games and will go in the same bin as EA if they keep it up.

It's better than Oblivion, not as good as Morrowind or Nehrim.
  26. Mar 7, 2014
    This game is beautiful, breathtaking, and rich with graphics and story line alike. The in depth details like books and stories laying all over the expansive world will drag you into little things that don't even have anything to do with the storyline. I don't know how many times I've turned this game on, just to find some random area to take screenshots because of how beautiful it looks.

The dungeons are intense sometimes. I don't know what it is, but the creators sure made it so that somehow walking your character down into the depths of one of these dungeons/caves, makes you feel tense and ready for an attack. Half the time it feels as though I'm holding my breath and I need to remember to breath (I'm also kind of a wimp though, I'll admit that freely)

The dragons are beautiful. I can't even begin to explain how amazing I think they are. Someone put in a great amount of work and detail to create them. With such an expansive world map, I always feel like I'm going to find something they just skipped over and decided to not bother with putting detail into it, but I have yet to find something. Even the tiniest blade of grass has detail.

I have yet to come across any bugs that inhibit me from playing the game the way it was meant to be played. The game hasn't frozen, glitched, or anything to be expected with a bad bug, so I've quite enjoyed what I have received as a game.

I am definitely looking forward to more from this sequel of games. The Elder Scrolls have not failed me yet.
  27. Fuz
    Mar 6, 2014
    Fire the guy who designed the interface. Just. Fire. Him. It's the worst interface I've ever seen. We have a mouse, non a gamepad. Apart from that, is the same game we already knew from Oblivion. Lots of bugs, pleasant graphics (but you can do better IF you don't do a straight from console porting) et cetera. If you liked Oblivion you will like this. If you couldn't stand all the little problems and annoyances like the unresponsive combat (no feedback on hits? seriously?) and the TERRIBLE enemies scaling you wouldn't like this game. I'm still waiting for a Daggerfall 2. Or a Daggerfall remake. And by the way: FIRE the guy who designed the interface. Also, the guy who approved it. Expand
  28. Mar 4, 2014
    Since I´m not into the ElderScrolls games (only played Skyrim), this game is not much more than Fallout 3 in a fantasy world. It hase some nice features like the huge world, crafting and a nice set of quests. But it feels like a Fantasy-SinglePlayer-SecondLife.
    It has some flaws, foremost a missing golden thread. My motivation curve was a downward spiral, since progress became repetitive
    and pointless. Skills, equipment and even leveling becomes senseless at some point (far from endgame), since it´s possible to win every fight by using brainpower.
    The world feels empty, grey and static, by the way. So many possibilities wasted...

A big world to discover, some nice hours of gameplay, but far from being a hypeworthy, shimmering gem of video game. So: some honest 7 of 10. Clearly above average, but not outstanding.
  29. Mar 1, 2014

Also one thing I loved about Morrowind was the variety of architectural styles, one settlement could be a poor dock village and another could be a magnificent mushroom town, there are much fewer settlements in Skyrim and about one or two architectural styles, more or less every fort is captured by bandits.

Skyrim is very unimmersive as it drowns you with loading screens that all take too long and has definitely shows that it was made with consoles in mind more than PC.I don't know why with all the interesting exotic places in Tamriel, Bethesda keep choosing the dullest ones to set their game in. Morrowind had a fantastic setting with many distinct biomes that added variety to the game and made it feel like it didn't take place on Earth but rather an interesting imaginary world. I don't understand all the praise for this setting, there are very few biomes that don't feel very different at all and travel is pointless due to the fact that fast travel exists and that you can't travel when over-encumbered FOR SOME REASON. Morrowind didn't have fast travel and it never should have, it had many interesting forms of travel available in most places making travel useful.

Also if you don't want the player to kill children DON'T PUT THEM IN THE GAME. All invincible characters in this game ruin immersion and if they witness you commit a crime there's nothing you can do about it.
  30. Feb 26, 2014
    Simply one of the most beautiful games I've ever lain my eyes on. The scenery and the fantasy-ish atmosphere of the world is breath-taking, and even more so with certain mods installed, which is almost certainly a must for the PC version. If your PC can handle it, I highly recommend you install high resolution mods.
    About the game itself, the most memorable aspect of the game in my
    opinion is not the scenery, but the music, which completes the divinity of the landscape.
    The game got its bugs, as expected from a Bethesda game, but the positive aspect of the game towers above the negative ones.

In a nutshell: You won't find a more beautiful world than Skyrim.
  31. Feb 25, 2014
    Awesome...just pure awesomeness oozing from a vein of awesome. Huge openworld to explore lots of quests to complete and tons of skills to enhance and perks to choose from. if you haven't played it yet... what the hell are you waiting for.
  32. Feb 24, 2014
    Skyrim is hands down one of the best RPGs I have ever played. It is beautifully made, very immersive, very complex and fun to play. If you play RPGs for the stories, exploration and character developement, this game is probably still the best one on the market currently. I spent more than 50 hours playing this game and there is still so much waiting to be explored. In terms of storylines that is. There are so many of them. If you are more into combat and action though, you might find this game disappointing, probably as well as the other Elder Srolls games in the past. Expand
  33. Feb 17, 2014
    Reading these reviews, it's easy to tell that anyone giving this game a low score is just a big Hipster. This game is amazing, and will be remembered for it's insane amount of content spread throughout the world.
  34. Feb 14, 2014
    The Elder Scrolls V:

Una de mis mejores compras
    no puede haber juego tan bueno
    y tan completo, si eres de las personas
    que les gusta los juegos de rol pero
    en modo solitario xD este es tu juego
    y nunca se acabara

BURRO LYDIA FTW
  35. Feb 13, 2014
    One of if not the most epic adventure in video game industry. You rarely see something that is done so well and is full of content! That said this is probably one of the most epic RPG-games ever made.
  36. Feb 12, 2014
    Best game I have ever played, hands down. It really immerses you in the world. Any flaws it has can be easily erased by mods, which are super simple to download and very easy to use. If you have never had the pleasure of playing this game, I will personally shoot an arrow in your knee. >:D Over 500 hours logged and counting.
  37. Feb 12, 2014
    In this game, you'll be sent back to the times where people fought with swords and bows. A brilliant setting, if you ask me.
    The game lets you do whatever you want.

You can customize your character to your own style, own personal favorite race, and you'll be able to fight any style you want.
  38. Feb 11, 2014
    TESV Skyrim brings almost nothing new into the RPG style games.

Skyrim is a repetitive experience from start to end, the only thing that changes is that it gets more flashy as you progress, but when it comes to asking to player to be skilled, not that much. The graphics are awful, the characters are boring, it really failed to impress me. Then there's a whole lot of problems with
    gameplay, dragons are more plentiful than bandits sometimes, its just ridiculous.

But then comes modding which is the reason why I give it a 6 instead of a 4. Modding community made some very good mods that introduced very detailed characters, good graphics, and so on. However not one single mod I managed to get my hands on managed to stop the boring level grind and bring a more rewarding system where the player skill is the most important asset (as opposed to the ingame character skills).

In the end this game can be fun but it feels really lacking, like if they made the basic map and characters of the game and dismissed everything else. Its a trend that its common now, people love the "open world" games so they advertise it and make it look like the options are endless, but this game isn't truly an open world game is it, its just a big map with a main story and random pointless quests/locations.

Game industry is stalled, goal isn't anymore to make good creative games, it's just all about making something fancy and give false expectations to players so they buy the game, then promise more functionality in paid DLC's or the next game in the series, so people go and buy the next game in the series which added very little to the previous one, sometimes its even less detailed... this is just sad.
  39. Feb 9, 2014
    The game plays great, looks great, and sounds great. The side quests are great, the main quest is great, the random events are great, the world is great, and the leveling is great. Its just fantastic. Best played on PC (mods).
  40. Feb 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a huge fan and modder of the past two TES games, I had high expectations for Skyrim. However, I was rather disappointed. I will list the good and the bad.

THE GOOD

First of all, Skyrim has some of the best graphics I've ever seen in a PC game. Just awesome. I also enjoyed how you were given a choice to side with the Empire to help keep the peace OR side with the Stormcloaks and free Skyrim from Imperial rule. That was a nice change of pace. I certainly had a blast with the Thalmor putting death warrants out on you, as well as thieves trying to rob you. The leveling system is great and the combat is quite good. Hmm.. that's about it.

THE BAD

They took away skills like athletics and acrobatics and get this, portable alchemy! This was a HUGE let down for me. With Morrowind and Oblivion, I enjoyed carrying around my mortar and mixing potions on the fly. Disappointing indeed. Weapons and armor do not degrade so there's no need to repair, ever. This is just plain stupid in my opinion. It takes away realism. Seriously, when you fight, weapons and armor are going to degrade eventually, but no. A HUGE mistake Bethesda. Fighting dragons is cool for awhile, but then after the first dozen or two, it really starts to get boring. I'd rather delve into Oblivion Gates and I hate those things. Also, the shouts you are sent to discover are like the same thing over and over. You go into said ruin, fort, dungeon, fight some monsters, solve a puzzle or two and grab the new shout. Boring and repetitive. Same thing with most of the quests. There are boring and repetitive. Go to said ruin, fort, grab this or that, deliver this or that, blah blah blah. The bounty hunting is really repetitive. Now, what really got me, was, not many people in Skyrim seem to sleep, or if they do, they sleep for like an hour and they're back up again. In Oblivion, people were on tight schedules and it seemed more realistic. The NPCS are very annoying and it seems like everyone hates you. People just do not shut up. They all just jabber on and tell you their entire life story. I actually had to use a mod called "No Npc Greetings" just to give my ears a rest. Seriously, in real life, you don't just stop a stranger in the middle of the street and start telling them your whole life story. Not realistic at all. The guards are terrible too. It's like, your character is not even doing anything or looking for trouble and they just start mouthing off to you like you're some kind of criminal. Terrible execution Bethesda. The Hearthfire DLC is fun but you cannot build your home in a spot of your choosing. Marriage is cool, but you can't have kids, you need to adopt, but then the kids never age. Strange. The wildlife is nothing new. The wolves in Oblivion are cooler looking. Catching diseases is CRAZY in Skyrim. The first wolf I encountered with my character gave me the rattles. First hit too. Better carry lots of Cure Disease Potions with you or garlic bread. I also didn't like character creation. All the races are ugly and hair styles look horrible! There are mods to fix this however, but Oblivion's character generator is better. The landscape in Skyrim I also thought to be dull and dreary. I know it's Skyrim and it's suppose to be like this frozen wasteland, but there's a limit. Everywhere you go, all you see is snow, mountains are gray gray gray. Furthermore, is Bethesda ever going to fix the rain and snow from falling through overhangs? This is so unrealistic. Come on Bethesda... it wouldn't be hard to add some collision to overhangs so your character can stand under to stay dry. It's called "realism." The factions are boring too. Morrowind and Oblivion's factions are far superior and you had to work at them to get ahead. In Skyrim, you can become head guy/gal in a matter of a few days. Did I mention, you get no respect in the game either? Well, you don't. You'd think the guards would recognize you as a member of the Imperial Legion, but no, they still treat you like a commoner. In Oblivion, you were hailed as the Champion of Cyrodiil, Savior of Bruma and everyone loved you, at least if you didn't have have a bounty, but in Skyrim, you come back after the main quest and nothing. No one hails you as a hero. What a let down. Even the kids in the game treat you like dirt. It's bad.

I never dreamed of giving a TES title a score this low, but that's where I see it. A five is all I can give. I think Bethesda made a good game with Skyrim, but it was poorly executed and could have and should have been much better. Let's hope TES VI brings better realism, better factions, better quests and better immersion. 5/10. Extremely Overrated.
  41. Feb 8, 2014
    I played this awesome game without mods for more than 80 hours and played it even more when i downloaded some mods its simply have lots of quests, stories, choices lots of it and the female armor is realistic . this game deserve an oscar for pc games or at least 1010 ratings
  42. Feb 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought the game reading all the positive reviews and playing dishonored(another Bethesda studios game). But after playing it i find it hugely overrated. There is nothing in this game. The graphics are slack, story pretty ordinary. All you'll do is roam from one city to another and fetch some souvenir. Certainly not worth the time. Expand
  43. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 10 out of 10, Fun: 8 out of 10, Controls: 7 out of 10, Difficulty: 8 out of 10, Length: 10 out of 10, Re-play: 6 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  44. Feb 3, 2014
    Simply the best game ever made. Of course I say this every time a new Elder Scrolls game comes out. I have 825 hours logged in steam. And yet there are still things I have yet to do. Nothing else comes close in terms of breadth and depth. If you like sandbox RPGs, this is a must play.
  45. Jan 29, 2014
    While the games mechanics (combat, magic, alchemy, leveling etc.) are almost in all ways superior to previous TES games, the quality of the quests has declined greatly. With the exception of only a few quests, Skyrim has returned to the god-awful generic quests of Morrowind. All guild questlines are pretty unimaginative and short, mostly consisting of nothing more than dungeon raids which get old pretty quick due to Skyrim's somewhat repetitive level design. Thieves guild quests were particularly disappointing as some of them weren't even related to stealth at all. I also criticize the implementation of radiant quests which are completely without substance.

The UI isn't optimum for PC but fortunately can be improved vastly with mods. The game has some balancing issues as well, particularly with money, it is simply too abundant. Owning Skyrim's entire economy tends to remove the incentive of gold, and this is ridiculously easy to achieve without using exploits or even trying. Fortunately, once again, this can be fixed with mods.

At least the visuals look nice, and sound design is good for the most part... so there's that. But really, those unoriginal quests prevent this game from being anything more than decent. It's an entertaining experience with mods, not so much if you're playing vanilla Skyrim. Whether you're playing modded or not, don't expect to be drawn in by intuitive quests and engaging storylines.
  46. Jan 27, 2014
    Terribly disappointing. When will we stop rewarding Bethesda for these incredibly low-quality games? It's like watching a production of Shakespeare where the actors and crew are drunk - the story may be compelling and the backdrop spectacular, but the entire performance is doomed to failure. From the interface to the voice acting to the animations, this game is sub-par. For God's sake Bethesda, get a better QA department! Expand
  47. Jan 26, 2014
    This game is a triumph in gaming. Doesn't mean there isn't some minor flaws though but it's a breathtaking experience every gamer who likes rpgs should experience. Morrowind is still my favorite but this is a close second.
  48. Jan 26, 2014
    This game is a 'near perfect' game. Does not deserve a full 10, but does not deserve below a 9. I'd give it a 9.7 for PC, and a little lower on console, due to the mods that PC provides that enhances the performance and detail. The content that this game provides is enormous. Actually, enormous doesn't even explain it.
    People complain about the bugs in this game, and yes it does have
    quite a few bugs, but that's to be expected in a world that is so immerse like Skyrim.
    There are many side quests, my favourite is the Thieves Guild storyline, which, in my opinion is better than the main story itself.
    Putting in more than 200 hours only, I still haven't seen, explored and conquered everything, and whoever 100% completes this game, they deserve a cookie.
  49. Jan 23, 2014
    When I was young, I always fantasized about dungeons, dragons, swords and magic... Seeing movies and stories about magical adventures... This game is pretty much my childhood dream realized. You pick up you sword and magic, you delve into dangerous dungeons slaying dragons left and right. How can this game not be awesome? This game has the best graphics my WinXP toaster can handle with awesome music to accompany it. Skyrim is one of the milestone of video games. It's a perfect blend of Developer content and User-made mods. I think Skyrim's Steam workshop is a great achievement in itself and shows how much Bethesda cares about its fan. Even 2-3 years after release, Skyrim is one of the most played game on Steam, right next to DOTA2, CS:GO, TF2, Civ5 and many more Steam "Giants". That should say a lot. Expand
  50. Jan 22, 2014
    Desde que comencé mi afición a los videojuegos con mi viejo VIC-20, después con el Commodore 64 y hasta la fecha, Skyrim es el mejor juego de todos los que han sacado. Absolutamente impresionante en todos los aspectos.
  51. Jan 13, 2014
    I like Skyrim but its just too "dumbed down"/ "casualised" / "consolized" (what ever) for my taste.

-level scaling, random loot, terrible quests and overall bad story, no attributes (why?), vampires walking at day, werewolves without forced transformation (player is not punished in Skyrim for anything, you cant fail at anything even if you want to), brainwashed characters and many many
    more things, badly designed smithing, too easy,lack of weapons (shortswords, throwing weapons, spears etc), lack of spells (only 3 daedra summons in original game), lack of factions/guilds, guild quests lines are bad and short.

Overall , good game, not really god RPG.
  52. Jan 13, 2014
    vanilla skyrim is a pain: the usual elder scrolls: non existant balancing, huge world filled with lame, childish stories/characters(maybe except the speaking dog...lol, the irony of that) better, but still sub-par combat chars now talk and you can respond, thats a plus, little to no choice/consequence/decisions, let alone ones you think twice about no personalisation(every player is the highmage, fighter/thief guild boss, dark brotherhood assasin AND follower of EVERY daedra-lord, owner of every estate and richer than anyone ever... come onnnnn.

graphics style was cool, however graphics quality for the pc, was a bad joke(or so i hope)
    why dont they put a little extra effort for the pc version in it?
    this applies for all games using this engine(fallouts, elder scrolls...)
    i didnt have the best hardware, but for all them games i used fanmods, that made the game not only run smoother, but actually looking BETTER! is it magic?
    no, its lazy devs and ppl not careing about quality.

also: what should be first and foremost in any rpg is:
    the story/writing. in skyrim its the same old **** as in the other elders...
    but maybe i dont understand it right: getting more stuff u cant/wont/neednt use anyway, hoard more money than youll ever need(or is re:alistic in any way), buying houses and furniture you hardly ever need(except for hoarding moar)+ being always the cheesiest of all possible protagonists, the chosen halfgodesque uber slayer of everything that moves.
    not cool
    theres more issues but thats enough for now

FIVE

id give more,with mods, but this game is a waste of resources, skill and creativity.
    if you mod it its quite enjoyable(if you dont expect too much rpg), but this actually speaks against it

good riddance there wont be another elder scrolls of that kind anytime soon.
  53. Jan 13, 2014
    The game is very good, but crashes too often 2 years after release. It's disgusting and disrespectful for people, don't pay for it, let them learn this mistake.
  54. Jan 11, 2014
    By far one of the best RPG's of all time. Excellent game play, great graphics, awesome combat, etc. No doubt a must have and is totally worth the $29.99 on steam.
  55. Jan 10, 2014
    The Elder Scrolls V is hands down the greatest RPG game I have ever played, and easily one of the best ever made. It is the pinnacle of its generation and huge improvement on what was already a fantastic game in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. A massive, graphically astonishing world, crawling with dungeons, creatures and whatever random encounters Bethesda have added into the game, makes for a fresh take on your everyday role-playing game. A solid main quest line, although at times it was slightly predictable, however the vast amount of side and miscellaneous quests make up for it there plot twists and progression. This game has great replay ability and if you ever feel your Skyrim experience is going stale, jump on to the steam workshop, there are some fantastic mods available which have been created by the community to only enhance what is already an outstanding game. Expand
  56. Jan 4, 2014
    Don't need to say much about this game because everybody knows this is a masterpiece. There are some in perfections but no game will ever be perfect but this is the closest to perfect you will ever see, will any other game ever come close I seriously doubt it.
  57. Jan 4, 2014
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is in overall an amazing game! The graphics are good and the world of Skyrim is incredibly huge. I've spent over 200 hours on this game, something I don't regret. The game is not flawless and has it bugs and issues but those are so minor that they do not influence the overall experience. If you like RPGs and haven't played this game yet, go ahead and buy it now!
  58. Jan 3, 2014
    i must confess i just created this account to express my ongoing dystopian feeling about this game. i mean "wtf is this?" a game so full of bugs its rarely playable 2(!!!) years after showing up.
    i actually still read new threads about the bugging engine today!(64hertz bug im talkin about). an engine, programmed several years (seven ago by an expanding software company which actually
    bugs TODAY, guys. yes it bugs TODAY!!!
    after several sleepness nights of thousands of users trying to make fallout 3, fallout nv and now actually skyrim run without permanent bugs, this flippin engine still bugs!
    now that i call user-friendly programming. and the hype still continues. 2 expansions big time hype lots of money NO FIX! WTF IS Up here how can this game be so overhyped? its not even running! This world is CRAZY! nothing about the game itself, as all other bethesda titles the gameplay COULD BE awesome. but wtf you bethesda guys living on the moon? fix your goddamn games for christ sake, hear the community of thousands of people complaining and FIX IT!
    this behaviour totally deserves a 0. we would still sit on trees if the whole humankind would be that stubborn.
  59. Dec 31, 2013
    Bethesda once again proves why it dominates western RPGs with the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The world of Skyrim is a beautiful place that makes it easy to get lost in and just dissolve into the world and events. Having played both the console and PC version to great extent, it is obvious that the PC version comes out on top. Not only does the PC version look and perform better, it also has a nigh endless amount of content due to mods that can change things as small as ropes or chains in the environment or as big as making your character a lightsaber-wielding, Elven-armored badass. But, like most Bethesda games, Skyrim has its fair share of bugs and glitches that can sometimes prevent quests from being completed. Overall, though, Skyrim is a must play for any PC gamer. Expand
  60. Dec 30, 2013
    I originally played this game for about a year on PS3, now I just got myself a new rig and I am playing it they way it is meant to be played on PC, the game looks much better and with the aid of modding the game has never ending appeal The Legendary edition on Steam is worth every penny, I would have liked another DLC but hey that would be greedy as this game offers 500+ hours on the release game without DLC .

This game is a must buy for everyone I would rate it higher if I could
  61. Dec 29, 2013
    I have to say, this is THE best game I have ever played. Loads of stuff to do, amazing storyline and lots of fun as you run around the HUGE map of Skyrim. Massive open world game, almost like a Medieval Grand Theft Auto. But better. Definitely should be in every gamers library, aside from a couple glitches here and there, the game is as close as they get to perfect. Amazing game.
  62. Dec 28, 2013
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a open world RPG from Bethesda. I played it about 100 hours, but there are no limits, because the world is so big and there are so many quests. Additional you can make and download mods, which makes the make long living. Skyrim looks beautiful even if some textures are muddy. The game sounds very good and the controls are with mouse and gamepad comfortable. The RPG-Elements like character system and Items are great. There is so much to collect, but, sell, craft, eat, drink, fight, wear, join in, speak, enchant, and so on. The fighting system is with sneaking, shooting with the bow, fighting with swords and shields and using spells. Expand
  63. Dec 27, 2013
    I love Open World games. And i loved Fallout 3. Skyrim seemed to me quite boring by comparison. (At this point i will point out that i enjoy Sci-Fi and Firearms in games much more than Medieval themes and melee weaponry). However, i remember playing and replaying Morrowind dozens of times! Why? Because replaying made sense in Morrowind. It made sense in Fallout 3. And was thoroughly joyful. Not in Skyrim. I played Skyrim for about 60 hours, as one character: i enjoyed it, but i did not love it, and don't want to replay this game at all, because it makes no sense of playing as a different character to me in Skyrim. But if you enjoy swords and axes, spiders and elfs, mead and ales Skyrim is an excellent game to sink 50 hours into: it has good story, good quests (repetitive, and somewhat boring caves), and the best part is IT CAN BE MODDED! Thanks Bethesda! Expand
  64. Dec 27, 2013
    This game is very hard to grade. The game as it is only barely reaches 7 out of 10. Pros being amazing, rich and fairly consistent lore, huge and beautiful open world, more interesting quests, removing some completely pointless skills like athletics or acrobacy and atmospheric surroundings cons being many nearly idiotic flaws like poorly designed leveling, stupid AI behaviour, INCREDIBLY slow arrows (I mean seriously, what the is up with that. Has every anybody in Bethesda even SEEN a bow?!), underpowered destruction magic and list goes on and on. However you have to consider that Skyrim is extremely mod-friendly and with some time spent on research and installation of mods the game gets 10 out of 10 easy. There's literally thousands of mods adding to the world and perfecting it in unimaginable ways or fixing whatever imbalance or poor choice may ill you in the vanilla game. For that Skyrim is definite must play. So far I am 150 hours in it and I am nowhere near finishing my play-through. One thing I must mention though. Skyrim uses old technology that forces limits on memory used and is very bad in utilizing multi-core CPUs. With some graphical enhancements the game gets very unstable because engine can't handle it even though your PC is completely up to it. All in all Skyrim when modded is one of THE best games of your life. But you'll have to invest quite a lot of work and time in it before you even start to play and your love for it is going to be tested. Expand
  65. Dec 25, 2013
    Skyrim is the fifth instalment of the Elder Scrolls series and is another fantastic game in the long running Elder Scrolls series. Like earlier games in the series, you create the character of your dreams and make your own way around a large world completing quests, discovering locations, finding items and interacting with NPCs. It is really up to you how you want to play; whether that be as a noble swordsman, sneaky thief or sorcerer and so forth. The graphics and audio have been drastically improved in Skyrim and the whole ice sort of environment looks fantastic. The in-game cinematic at the start of Skyrim really sets the scene well and is definitely better than the introduction in Morrowind and Oblivion. If I were to criticise the game, it is that this along side the other Elder Scrolls games have no multiplayer whatsoever, so the game does feel a bit lonely sometimes. Still, this is a minor complaint really. If you like RPGs or even if you don't Skyrim is a game that is simply fantastic and well is well worth your time and money. Expand
  66. upi
    Dec 24, 2013
    This is not really a "review", more like a warning label. Please regard it as such.
    For anyone downloading this game and expecting to play: don't. I did, and was rewarded by having to sit on a carriage for 14 minutes listening to an infodump-style exposition with name after name after name. I was unable to move. Then I was treated to watching an execution. Then I was told to climb some
    stairs and found that my character could not do that.
    I'm sure there are those who say that this was a rewarding experience, or that I should wait to earn actually playing. Good for you. For those who are like me and want a game that one can actually play from the start: forget Skyrim. Score ZERO.
  67. Dec 22, 2013
    Beautifully visual game combined with a perk system that lets the player define their own role. It would have gotten 10 but for a few things: The inability to jump right in without doing the whole tediously boring Helgen opener whenever you make a new character (fixed with a mod Skyrim Unbound), followers bumping into you forcing you into a room or worse, off a cliff/ledge, especially when you've zoomed in to take a shot in sneak mode (I've shot Farkas in the face with an arrow oh so many times for doing this to me), Esbern's voice issue (come on Bethesda, 2 years and it's still not fixed), the quests that are added just by walking by an npc (no, I don't want to talk to Lod and find his stupid dog) and the inability to drop quests that you don't want or didn't ask for or to drop/store 'quest items' until the quest is finished. Yes I'm nitpicking, but these and a few others make you lose the immersion that is almost there in this game. Fortunately there are a ton of great mods that fix some of these issues and make the game more enjoyable. Overall though, it is a fun game, letting you do pretty much whatever you want, when you want to. But without the mods I probably would have quit playing it long ago. Expand
  68. Dec 21, 2013
    Bought this game through Steam. Loved this game so much I had about 50 hours into it when it started crashing to desktop without an error message. After extensive research, I find this ctd seems to be quite common. As far as I am concerned the game is broken and I have not been able to find a fix after trying numerous adjustments. Very disappointed at this time. Will this happen to you? Buyer beware. Expand
  69. Dec 20, 2013
    I totally don't get this game, it is way over hyped. The graphics are not brilliant, the game play it pretty weak,, the fight scenes are less than desirable. Unless I am missing something, this is no more than a cult game. Sub standard!!!
  70. Dec 18, 2013
    This game is the best game I have ever played period. The graphics (with the steam mod) are outstanding the gameplay is great, a good story, it is everything an elder scrolls game could want to be. Like someone else said take the good of all the past games strain out the bad and you have skyrim.
  71. Dec 15, 2013
    An absolutely amazing game for anyone that loves RPGs. Huge open world. Meaningful interesting quests. Tons to do. Arguably one of the best games I've ever played, if not the best.
  72. Dec 14, 2013
    A wonderful, fantastic expansion to the magnificent Elder Scrolls series! While no game is perfect, I would strongly recommend this game. PROS: +Hours, and hours, and hours of gameplay! +An incredible modding community. +A story that might not blow you away but you'll remember it for years. +One of the largest open worlds I have ever played in. +While some voice acting might be questionable (but I still wouldn't call the voice acting a 'con' the characters you meet along the way are interesting to say the least.
    +This game is timeless: There are amazing graphic enhancement mods that beat all games comparing up to it to this day, and users make dozens upon dozens of quests. All the user generated content makes it not only timeless but endless as well!
    CONS:
    -There are a few game-breaking bugs.
    -The animations are pathetic.
    Overall, I would recommend this game an endless amount, and you should buy it now even if you don't like RPGs, check this out.
  73. Dec 14, 2013
    This game is really just one word: Adventurous. The world seems infinite and there are so many things to do in this RPG game! There is a never ending stack of quests for you to do, which, are all pretty fun quests, and of course a game with a lot of quests has a great story, right? Right! If you have not already got this game, and you like RPGS, then I suggest you pick this game up and try it out!
  74. Dec 10, 2013
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, is an improvement to the last. But yet it still lacks some things, and is annoying in some aspects. One of them is the dialogue. The voices are recycled quite a bit, as well as the things they say. But the great things counter-act that. Cave and ruin exploring, fighting dragons, tons of side-quests, and so much more. Even better, there are no huge glitches or bugs that make the game entirely unplayable. The only major bug I found was about 7-8 hours into the game, and a simple reload could fix it. I indeed suggest this game, but if you do, buy the PC version, as the console version fall a bit short. Expand
  75. yar
    Dec 9, 2013
    Great concept and fun to play. However, don't let the high meta score fool you. The game is not polished enough to deserve such a score. Bad AI that you can take massive advantage of (they get stuck, won't climb up objects, can't jump, etc)... the same environment everywhere you go, the same enemies everywhere you go, and in general the same routine everywhere you go. The inventory system is anything but seamless and the game has numerous bugs that can be found starting day 1. It has no profile system on pc, so playing with multiple people becomes a hassle trying to find your last save.

The game is fun though, has a creative leveling system, and constantly urges you on to discover something new. The pace of the game is slow at times and the dialogue scenes can be tedious. despite all of the above, and if it were a bit more polished I would give it a great score. Good Fun Game, worth the money I got it on steam sale at 14.99) but not "all that"
  76. Dec 9, 2013
    One of the best games of 2011 and 2012 if you count the DLCs. Visually brilliant, versatile with excellent replayability factor. Combined with mods (to which the game is really friendly) becomes one of the best games I have ever played.
  77. Dec 8, 2013
    I first played this game after the last official patch. When I first launched it, I was in awe. The environments, the voice acting, the action, the pretty UI, the weather effects. I was so immersed and it felt amazing. However, about 15 or 20 hours later, things changed drastically.

I realized that the poor leveling system from oblivion seemed to come over to skyrim unchanged.
    Basically, the game gets more difficult in terms of combat (NPC's have more health and do more damage) as the player becomes more skilled in any of the skills available. Thus if you decide to enjoy yourself crafting some cool armour or playing with alchemy, you're going to get smashed with more powerful monsters (assuming you have a difficultly setting of expert or more). As a consequence I was motivated to NOT try all the cool skills out there and purely do whatever combat I had going (in my case melee). Also I basically had to drop archery for the same reason. That was lame.

The combat still is really bad. The spell system seems graphically a bit nicer, but I only did melee and ranged. When you hit NPCs with a sword, to quote some person, "its like hitting them with a wet fish." Your sword just goes through them with no response. There is a blocking ability, but I don't know its purpose because you take essentially the same damage anyway.

The AI still is dated (seems to be the same AI for the most part as Oblivion). Sure, a lot of NPCs have daily schedule where they go around doing stuff which is really cool. But often you'll see them walking into walls, and they look very robotic. Its still pretty immersive though, but those little blips you keep seeing really ruins it for you.

There's still the issue of quantity over quality. In Oblivion there was hundreds of dungeons, but they were so generic and after a few you probably avoided going in them. Its pretty similar for Skyrim. For the first few tens of hours, you might not notice, but you soon will. Some dungeons can be very unique though, and they can be very awesome.

At the beginning of the game you would notice a lot of politic stuff and that in the quests. That was really surprising and cool, but then the main quest line went more in the direction of "dragon born" which was kind of disappointing.

In summary, this game is a great RPG, maybe a bit too quantity over quality, and too many technical issues, and more of a game where you can see it had great potential but it wasn't reached. However its a pretty fantastic game with mods. When I was following this game, there was a lot of cool stuff that was supposed to be in Skyrim, but alas Skyrim was not the result. However there's a bunch of fairly decent gameplay mods that fix this and expand: combat mods that make combat interesting, making lighting real, survival mods, so forth. For me I really need immersion to enjoy this game, and the vanilla game doesn't really supply that and kind of breaks it periodically.
  78. Dec 8, 2013
    You either hate it or love it. Sandbox game with such an great variety of mods. That you can replay this game over and over again. But its the TES community itself that pumps this game up. So people talked about it. I thought they probably over hyped this but Its actually worth the money.
  79. Dec 6, 2013
    When I played this game, I loved it, but after 2 hours of game play I started to became crazy, this game is FULL of glitches, bugs and crashes, and not the simple ones; the very bad ones!!! My game has: -Crash in black Screen -Crash in error -Crash in the game stop working -Crash that makes impossible to make the story (happened to me 3 times) -Horses that fly -Black boots (All the boots became black and shiny)
    -Trolls that fly
    -Dragons that are friendly
    -My character stuck on the ground
    -My character going down the world and getting in a infinite void
    -Explosions between battles
    -VERY LONG (Like 3 hours) CHARGING SCREENS
    -Stupid characters not following (The one from the start)
    -Instant suicide (My character dying)
    -And many other Bugs, Glitches and Crashes

So that is why I think this game should be erased from this planet, this game sucks!!!!
    NEVER BUY IT!!!!!!!!
  80. Dec 5, 2013
    This game is alot of fun and I'm a low spec pc gamer, so I never review by graphics, just by how the story is, sound, combat, etc. I haven't been getting any bugs that would break the game or that would make horses fly backwords lol, pretty sure it's there pc that's the problem, also my friend showed me a few neat glitches that you could do in the game.

The combat is wonky, like could
    you display the hitbox and my range that my weapon would be able to make contact with the enemy like how you get from those mmorpg games, which i'm used to so I'm alright with it. The bows however were okay, the melee with it seemed to me to be not very effective like I'm expecting a stagger when I hit someone with it, it would sometimes work tho. Let's not forget about those finishing blows and kill cams which made the combat glories!

I couldn't hear the sound very well since the volume was set on it's low default setting, the music however was unexpectedly great like I didn't go into the tavern just to hear a bard sing, later requesting more from him or her. Also when I started to fight a dragon I began to get all confused at first from the music like is there someone else there with me, it was badass tho once I realized it was just the music playing.

When I first looked at the map I thought it was small, but later kept running into a bunch of quest and caves that would take hours to complete, so now I don't know if I'll ever get anywhere. Awesome exploration easy 10 out of 10 there.

The story was ehh, straightforward. I just focus on what I'm going to around skyrim so I don't really look at the main quest so much.

Gameplay is great, I get to lockpick, steal from people pockets, adopt, and I don't know what else. The races would have there own special talent and the npcs would address you as that race, well I have only done the argonian so I'm unsure about the others.

The score is a 10! Now I may have been to quick to judge since I haven't gotten to far into the game, but this world is just so luminous and you're even able to use mods with would make the fun endless so this game deserves a 10 since this was able to even get my friends addicted.

Knowledge: 2nd Elder Scroll Game (1st was ESO but for a short time) I just started to play the game, 35 hours in so far as an argonian archer w/ only a mod that removed that suffocating sound when emerging from the water.
  81. Dec 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the first time I wrote a review since I never like to write in my second language, but I want to express my opinions on this (sorry) overrated game.

This game has a great open world. Such a big open world means that there are many many quests to do, to the point that it is overwhelming and you would say "no more at the moment please, I've got to do this one first". HOWEVER, most quests are largely the same which makes the game somehow repetitive.

The best part of the game is the landscape obviously, you can meditate or look out over the mountain without doing anything for hours. Making every hold and capital city look different is no easy feat as well. Architecture of the Dwemer ruins and the automatons are one of the best thought-out elements in the game, in my opinion probably because I am very interested in ancient civilisations. The best part is not only Dwemer ruins made a return from Morrowind, this time they added the tragic backstory of the Falmer as well. But when it comes to the best-designed dungeon, nothing can beat the chaotic, otherworldly and twisted Apocrypha from the Dragonborn add-on. You might even forget you are playing Skyrim when you are in the Apocrypha! The designers definitely deserve to be praised.

Another great element of the game is music. This game would not be complete without it. Composed by my favourite composer Jeremy Soule, many of the music are beautiful and calming, just like the landscape. He contributed so much to the atmosphere of the series. I like the little palette music (not included in the OST) you can hear when exploring in the wild as well.

Now let's talk about the flaws of this game no one can ignore. The first is, of course, bugs. I cannot count how many bugs I've encountered. It is actually the sole reason I waited until Legendary Edition was released so there would be less bugs by the time I start playing, but the number of bugs is still unacceptable. It has a HORRIBLE UI for PC as well. Fortunately the problem is gone after installing the SkyUI mod. The game feels like a half-polished port at best, forcing players to install unofficial patches to avoid bugs and fix the UI. It's pathetic that college programmers can do better job than Bethesda. Perhaps I should have expected it- it's Bethesda afterall.

Secondly, it has one of the worst plot I've seen in a bestselling RPG game. Not only the main questline (lame plot involving dragon bosses), but the College of Winterhold (kill a Thalmor and you become Arch-Mage) and Dark Brotherhood questline as well (kill someone, kill Astrid, kill the Emperor, and the story ended there. I was like "what?").

Choices are non-existent. One great example of the lack of choice is that you are asked by the Blades to kill Paarthurnax and you cannot decline their request, which is absurd considering the position of the Blades and the Dragonborn. You "can decide" to join the Stormcloaks or the Empire, but you can't remain neutral, and if you joined them, the outcome doesn't affect the story that much anyway. The disproportion of the scale of the world/landscape and the writing is almost laughable to me.
    I have a minor complaint but many people might agree with me the lack of depth in NPCs. Most NPCs can be categorized into quest-givers, merchants, enemies and followers. For followers, you can only ask them to follow you, do something for you, or go home. Most of the NPCs/followers don't have backstory. You don't feel a bond with the followers, perhaps except for Serana. This is probably unavoidable because of the lack of VAs and large amount of NPCs, but it's a shame that you can't have more interaction with your favourite characters or to know more about their backstories.
    Even marriage is quite pointless, they just move into your house without any more interaction other than to cook you food or share the shop's profit. To be honest I don't even understand why Bethesda included the option to marry a NPC if you can't do anything with them.

Combat is one of the weaknesses of the game, although not as bad as the plot. Melee combat is boring and most of the time it's just pure button mashing. Fighting dragons can be exciting at first, but after a while it gets dull. Still, I like the idea of Shout from a gameplay viewpoint. Even though it is unavoidable that they had to make dragons a main factor in the storyline, they should have written a better story.

Overall, I think this game is enjoyable by everyone regardless of age (ironically which stems from its shallowness), unlike DA:O, which I consider its counterpart but can be quite intimidating at first. However, DAO is better executed and has more depth. I fear Bethesda is running out of ideas for its games since Oblivion. Maybe it's time for Bethesda to make their game maturer or darker, involving romance or even sex in its main plot? There is also a more important task left for its programmers: "Back to Basics- Learn How To Debug Games".
  82. Dec 3, 2013
    I bought this Game via Steam; based only on the Metacritic score (without knowing the previous series and without beeing too much into RPG, but very much enjoying RAGE from the same company) Result BIG MISTAKE !!!

Next time i will take the time to read User Rewievs more carefully.
    At first you are looking forward to plunge into that huge world of "Himmelsrand" and to get many hours
    of fun.
    Now after only about 50 hours played i earased it to create more space for really captivating games.
    For a such highly rated game absolutely dissapointing.
    I felt like i got a huge gift box but the actual gift inside the box didn`t match up at all !
    i felt like getting a Matchbox car in a 1 square meter (m³) gift box.

In other words: yes you get a huge world wich would be great, but the tasks are so much the same that it becomes booring very fast for intense gamers like me.
    I actually like to dive into a storyline, but in Skyrim it is so overloaded that not even Magnus Carlsson could follow 5000 years of history and hundreds of persons (at first i thought: well it`s because you didnt play the other parts so "hang on", but after the 60iest Book i had to read it was just too much).

My overview:

NEGATIVE:
    - i dont like to mod. for me if the game is not working as it should after you bought it, the developers simply didnt do a good job! you won`t enjoy the game without mods and with the mods it gets more unstable… and this after 3 years not acceptable !!!

- in my opinon if you didnt follow the serie from the beginning you have far too many books to read to get into the whole story. Why not making one or two compressed movies summing the story up, or wraping it into Quests.

- little change. Be it inside or outside cities. repetative Quests.

- absolut unhandy gameplay for pc. while in the middst of boss-fights you have to manually sweep between courses or melee setup. the game has clearly been developed for consoles.

POITIVE:

- Huge world and i guess for the Series Fans a good continuation.

- Opens up many, many ways in which you can move the story (choosing Race, sides you take on, etc. gives you the feeling of beeing free in the World.

SUMMARY:
    - With the dimension of the created world i dont understand why they didnt invest one year more time to fill the game up with better content. Viewed from the outisde I guess they had a management Problem and spent far too much time on the world building and forgot about the rest.
    Clearly wouldnt buy it again. neither the DLC`s.
  83. Nov 30, 2013
    Well, this is not a game, this is a BUGAME, man its so bug ridden i think Bethesda should make an Elder Scrolls V Unbugged Version, because there is a Flying Giant bug, a Flying Backwards Mammoth bug and even a bug where you can't even finish the storyline quests, and a little multiplayer would be nice, you know.
  84. Nov 30, 2013
    Skyrim is probably the best game of its kind. The world you explore is massive and there are plenty of things to do to keep you coming back time and time again.

Skyrim really comes through in the graphics department. The game looks great without any visual mods despite what some others will try to tell you and it runs very smoothly for the most part. All of the voice acting is done well
    and the story is basic but still fun to play through.

The battle system in Skyrim needs some work, with melee combat consisting of nothing more than mashing the left-click. Without mods, the inability to kill important NPCs becomes an annoyance. I'm not saying that you should be able to completely destroy questlines that are crucial to the game but Bethesda should have made it so you could kill these people and they would respawn later as if they had gone to the hospital. The fact that they are invincible too often results in them chasing you for miles on end in the most ridiculous fashion possible. Skyrim doesn't have very many weapons to collect either, with most of them being enchanted or slight variations of other weapons.

This review seems to be a bit negative, and that's not really what I'm trying to do. This game is definitely a masterpiece but not worthy of a perfect score until they iron some things out.
  85. Nov 27, 2013
    If you come there from morrowind and then oblivion hoping to see a redemption of brethsa... well that's not it. This game feel like a dumbed version of oblivion. It's better, seriously, but it's dumbed down. The rpg aspect is limited to say the least. Gone are the days when you could make your own spells and weapons enchant AS you liked. And gone too are a lot of funny/stupid things that you could do with the others TES game.

But, if you can play it without comparing it with daggerfall and morrowind then you have decent game. The graphic(especially with mods) is great. The animations, sounds and music are quite nice. It's a fully immersive game. I have only one big complain, aiming to full immersion the choice of pause the game every damn time you interact with the quickbar it's silly... I mean you are in front of a HUGE dragon, hit q and... the game pause. It breaks totally the joy for me.
    There are mods yes, but again if you come from morrowind dont expect to see stuff like that. There are mods VERY good, that actually make this game more an rpg than a graphic adventure but still, it's skyrim. And with skyrim i have to say dumb... so yeah, it's a dumb rpg.

Still, in the end i can't say it's a bad game. Graphic, sound, playability are all greats, it just lacks of difficulty other than "More hp/damage on monster" and there are only a handfull ways to beat it at top difficulty(the old TES had a LOT of "cheaty ways" so they felt easier but it was fun experimenting all of them). In the pletora of useless games around it's still worthless games around it's good to try it out, especially if you will be using mods it's a good investment. If there are any good discount buy it eyes close
  86. Nov 26, 2013
    If you have a computer that can run this game, PC is definitely the way to go. Not only do you have more functionality, improved graphics and performance, you also have access to the community's modding library. By the way... Hot keys.
  87. Nov 24, 2013
    After over 500 hours I'm still playing Skyrim, and still finding things in hidden corners of the massive world.
    The bugs suffered initially with the game have all been resolved.
    Characters, Locations and Items are all still memorable, much more so than previous Elder Scrolls games, and any other games. Quests, Quest-lines, and Radiant Quests are all brilliant. The world, as I previously
    stated is incredibly in it's size and detail. The difficulty is perfect for the game, and the six different levels suit any skill level for any player.
    My personal all time favourite game thanks to extensive mods and downloadable content packs, and the perfection of the game itself. A must-buy for any fan of fantasy, RPG, open-world or first-person games, or any combination of the aforementioned.
  88. Nov 24, 2013
    I had to create an account just to review this game, and I'm gonna say why it is the best game I've ever played. You can clearly see the effort and emotion Bethesda put in this game, the level of detail in small things, such as plants, books, miscellaneous items is incredible. One may argue that it's not well made and has a lot of bugs, I don't find that to be true, Skyrim has bugs, yes, but they are only there because the developers crafted a world with a mind blowing amount of things in it, they were not aiming to do a linear 5 hours game, but to create something new and different, and I'm completely happy if that incurs some bugs. But by now, most bugs are gone thanks to the official and unofficial patches and the game runs pretty good, way better than the atrociously optimized pieces of crap that are being released for PC nowadays.

However, for me, the prime reason that makes this game so great, is the modding community which is beyond awesome and releases mods that improves the gameplay in every aspect. Someone might say that Bethesda has no merit in this, but I disagree, since game is mod-friendly and they made modding tools available for the community to use. As I like to say, if you haven't played Skyrim on PC you haven't played Skyrim. It's another game, really. Which makes me pretty happy, because PC gamers are always held hostage by the console crowd, but not with this game. Skyrim for PC is awesome, beautiful graphics, huge world, great lore, amazing soundtrack...And if you happen to find a thing that you don't like about the game, I'm sure there is mod that fixes or improves it.

Bethesda really did a great job, Skyrim set the standards of medieval RPG's in terms of world exploration, lore and immersion. For me, it is a giant leap forward from Oblivion, even if it got a little simplified in character development (I really miss the attributes), but, as always, there are mods that help with that. Long time Elder Scrolls fans that still complain about this game are probably somewhat blinded by the nostalgia of the older games, and I bet 10 years from now Skyrim will be considered an all-time classic, if it's not already. Take my word for it, Skyrim is a completely awesome game, may not be perfect or might not be a game for everyone, but it's flaws can be easily overlooked when you consider the whole picture, make no mistake, once you start playing it, you are not going to need another game for a very long time.
  89. Nov 24, 2013
    This game is brilliant. Its stunning looks and deep stories are only the surface to scratch when you play. So much detail is put in this and is the greatest game created yet so far.
  90. Nov 23, 2013
    For a game, it certainly has a lot of content. The downside of this, is that most of it is actually pretty boring after some hours into it. The only way I managed to even get to over 100 hours clocked on this game was to install a bunch of mods for it. But these mods people make for this game are amazingly good. This game probably has some of the best mods I've seen in a game yet, and that's basically why I was able to play so much of this game. The story is pretty average at best, the could of done a few things to make that better. It does do one thing good that The Elder Scrolls series has always excelled at; allowing you to play the game the way you want to. It does have a couple of bugs here and there, but that's to be expected in a big game like this.

In short, if it wasn't for the large database of mods available for download, I'd probably give this game a 5 or 6. It just likes to keep throwing the same stuff at you a lot and the only way to really avoid this is by either ignoring it or installing mods.
  91. Nov 21, 2013
    I love and enjoy every moment in this epic and very vivid role-playing adventure with only a few things I feel I can put my fingers on. So many details but one detail I feel is missing out is the player character seems lifeless and do not have much character really, No head tracking not much movement with the eyes only standing stiffly most of the time. Reminded me of the mute in GTA3 but it is a minor thing nothing much that mods can't fix if you are lucky enough to have it on a PC if you have it on console shame on. A poor pc interface some weird AI at times, companions and NPC gets stuck or lost is just not enough to bring this game down much. In my opinion it it is a great game that I still cant get enough off, it suck you right in and you slowly become the dragon hunter. Expand
  92. Nov 20, 2013
    after playing skyrim now i understand all the hype about it yes it is a legendary game the world of this game is just amazing big and fun to explore the soundtracks are good as well but i didn't like the gameplay that much in this game i found it a bit repetitive but other than that it is a good game that will keep you occupied for a long time
  93. Nov 19, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  94. Nov 18, 2013
    Finally, something to fun to play with actual depth. Sometimes I wonder what the budget game companies have for paying people to give positive fake reviews for their games. Or do they just own the websites who do the reviews? Or, maybe... it's that the internet is full of tasteless, call of duty loving, mouth breathers now and they actually do think that garbage is gold. But then a game like this comes along and it has well deserved reviews and it renews my faith in humanity. So congrats Bethesda, you guys continue to make great games! Expand
  95. Nov 18, 2013
    The Elder Scrolls series is like The Matrix, started off strong, then went into a decline into bad. Arena? Awesome. Daggerfall? Amazing. Morrowind? One of the best games ever made. Oblivion? Okay. Skyrim? BAD. No more rpg for us! No more Classes, no more guilds that effect the world's opinion of you if you join. No more Worth while quests! No more meaning full characters! No more meaning full ANYTHING! It isn't all bad, but most of it is. I feel like they reused the same voice actor for each race, Nords all sound the same, all Khajjit sound the same! I feel like when I open this game bugs will crawl out because that is what this game is full of. Falling through ground, crashes, freezes, sound issues, FPS issues, AI issues, this game is full of it. Example:
    There are these things called dragon priest masks, one of them is the 'wooden mask' this is essential to getting the main mask which will make you character amazing. Well you wanna know what? My wooden mask fell through the ground and now I can't get it! I can't get the awesome mask, great.
    Is there meaning full choices throughout this game? NOPE! The only choice you get is "StormCloaks or Empire" which you want? This doesn't affect the world if you choose one and do all of the quests for them! This game tries to give the illusion that it has choices but it has none! Do you remember the rock hard difficulty of the first three games? That is gone! The highest setting is 'Legendary' but this makes you die in two hit, and your enemy die in a million! The thing that made this first three hard was that it was fair! The menus in this game are unfriendly. The story sucks, never do you feel emotion, like in say Mass Effect, or feel like your talking to real people, like in say Deus Ex. The boss battles in this game are a joke! Just have a healing spell in one hand and a sword in the other. I do like this kind of but this doesn't hinder your combat any, just you can't block. Think if you had a spell in one hand you fighting ability would decrease, that would be awesome. What do I like of this game? It is fun to steal things, and kill a bunch of people in town. But this is something I didn't like, you can't kill story characters... Because of a AI engine that has people doing their daily routine. Oblivion had the same thing but I think that in Oblivion you could kill story characters after the story.
    I don't like this game, it is a sad disgrace to man kind. It isn't good, not even okay. It may not be the worst game of 2011 but it is one of the worst.
    Don't buy this game, please. Like I said it isn't the worst thing ever but it still sucks. It is below below average (Below average being Four), so it is bad. Nowhere near something like Daikatana or Ghost Busters for nes but it still sucks.

I will leave it at that.
  96. Nov 15, 2013
    Yeah this game could be a 8 if it's not for its mod friendly system. Mods (especially ENB and HDT hair system) somehow make this old game looks way better than most of the 2013 games.
  97. Nov 15, 2013
    This is my first time playing an Elder Scrolls game and I really enjoyed it...such a vast world to explore with lots of hidden nooks and crannies, interesting variability to the enemies present, a world filled with dragons, magic, and sexy sorceresses. I put a lot of time into this game exploring dungeons, searching for powerful masks, armor and weapons.
  98. Nov 10, 2013
    The graphics are definitely better than that of Oblivion. Characters look much prettier, too. You still have enormous things to explore, and never bored about exploring. The only problem for me is that the stories are not so attracting, or consistent. Like there should be more connections among those side-stories. Anyway, it's really a fantastic time-killer though.
  99. Nov 9, 2013
    Great game, but for me it just didn't have the same vibe as Oblivion, I can't really give it a lower score after all the time I've put into it and being the Elder Scrolls maniac I am.
    The story about dragons was just plain awesome, the actual dragon fights were not though. I dread meeting a dragon in the wilderness, it's always the same thing over and over again and the fighting mechanic
    is quite broken, as dragons won't land if they don't have a piece of flat around, which makes killing them pretty much impossible. Once they are on the ground though they are easier to kill than a bear, which is quite pathetic.
    The world of Skyrim on the other hand is a joy to be in, just walking down the slopes of Skyrim's mountains and taking in the amazing scenery while thinking about all those quests, dungeons and things to do there are in those flatlands under you is enough to give this game a ten out of ten. The lore is is in abundance here as always with many books to read and stories to be heard from locals. I guess the graphics don't even need mentioning, they are simply stunning if you've got the rig for it.
    I would definitely recommend this game to anyone that's reading this, the only true problem the game has is ironically it's main feature the dragons. Lest also not forget the great modding community and mods that are traditionally available for an Elder Scrolls game.
  100. Nov 5, 2013
    This game really did dissapoint me i know this is many people's game of the year but i cant help but think this whole game was nothing but a dissapointment half of the people that have played other elderscrolls games knows what im talking about oblivion was alot alot alot alot better in every respect and was ahead of its time my heaps but this is just hack and slash with crysis graphics everything about it just made me think why am i playing this its done better in oblivion id honestly say this was my biggest dissapointment of the year i was so hiped up for this game hanging on to every peice of gameplay and trailer bethesda gave us and i was just givin bugs popins hack and slash with no good story or any effect on the world no matter what you do 7/10 good game im not saying its bad its just really not as good as it schould have been Expand
  101. Nov 11, 2011
    I'm not gunna lie, this game is amazing, brilliant, outstanding, a masterpiece. I'm only filling the rest up because i need one hundred and fifty characters.

1. Feb 29, 2012