5.6

1. Oct 15, 2014
    Don't waste your money on this broken excuse for a horror game.

It is a broken product so i can't really give it anything above 0,even after you uperformancenlock the FPS and make it full-screen the game runs like crap and there is no visual quality to justify the horrible .

it is not even a horror game it is as horror game as is Dead Space 3 is a "Horror" game
  2. Oct 14, 2014
    If you want to ask about the quality of such PC port, this game only worth a zero. Many reviewers already mention the reasons, I won't repeat these.

The graphic quality of this game is sub-par. Do you still remember the Wolfenstein New World Order? Yes, the game has the same engine as this game. So, what's the problem? Bulky game size with a blurry and low quality texture in game even with all graphic settings maxed out.

The game play elements bring nothing new to the table, e.g. some collectibles to collect for upgrading player ability, stealth-oriented game play with insufficient ammo. Generally the game play style is just like the last of us, but with a dull and boring plot. If the terror elements of the story was on par with those classic Silent Hill, then this game could be great. However, the plot element is so thin and the atmosphere is so weak due to repetitive environment and lack in story depiction. So players are left with WTH is going on here most of the game.

Finally, the game play time for this game is short. Some chapters may only last around 15 to 30 mins. If you are experienced gamer and good at stealth, you probably can beat the game within 5 hours.
  3. Oct 16, 2014
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME ON PC!

It's a great game and a true successor to RE4. But this game should not have made to the pc platform in its current state. The controls are clunky and unresponsive, you can't bind keys properly and the default keybinding doesn't make any **** sense. If you have a next gen console like the PS4 or the XBONE. Buy this game on one of these and enjoy. On
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME ON PC!

On PC however, stay AWAY from this garbabe port.

My rating is based on the pc version alone, not the game overall.
  4. Oct 14, 2014
    No lip sync, poor graphics, some awkward moments, and I don't know why but some animations are missing or don't appear. It tries to be a mix of Silent Hill and Resident Evil and was clearly influenced by those horror games, but isn't ashamed to point it out. I really can't take this game seriously. Some of the jump-scares are good and sometimes the atmosphere is good but it is quicklyNo lip sync, poor graphics, some awkward moments, and I don't know why but some animations are missing or don't appear. It tries to be a mix of Silent Hill and Resident Evil and was clearly influenced by those horror games, but isn't ashamed to point it out. I really can't take this game seriously. Some of the jump-scares are good and sometimes the atmosphere is good but it is quickly ruined by pretty much any encounter. Zero polish, clearly a crappy port. Expand
  5. Oct 14, 2014
    Poorly unoptimized piece of **** The fact that an xbox360 and PS3 versions of this game exist is proof that the bloated PC specs are a load of platypus **** Review embargoes especially for a hyped game like this is a bad sign. Might as well buy this when it goes on sale! This game does not deserve full price.
  6. Oct 14, 2014
    One of the biggest disappointments of the year. Certainly one of the worst games I've played in a long time. The cut scenes are 10 years behind, the controls can not be remapped properly, forcing you to use a control. But that is the least of the problems in this turgid mess. The camera is set so you can not see ANYTHING, at almost all times, making combat utterly pointless. It is not, inOne of the biggest disappointments of the year. Certainly one of the worst games I've played in a long time. The cut scenes are 10 years behind, the controls can not be remapped properly, forcing you to use a control. But that is the least of the problems in this turgid mess. The camera is set so you can not see ANYTHING, at almost all times, making combat utterly pointless. It is not, in the slightest scary. It's just frustratingly tedious. A poor stealth game with terrible graphics, a camera angle so bad it will stop you from playing the game entirely, and a convoluted , rehashed and frankly embarrassing waste of time and money. Do your selves a favor, AVOID AT ALL COSTS. This is not the Resident Evil 4 you were looking for... Expand
  7. Oct 14, 2014
    30 fps ? pathetic. Game is frustrating, repetitive or held back by technical issues and poor, dated games design. Don't make games if u don't know how.
  8. Oct 14, 2014
    Although our expectations of "The Evil Within" were low, they turned out to be even too high for this disaster of a game. Not only does this game have the 30fps lock that Bethesda did say (which I might add you can change with some console commands), but the aspect ratio is messed up to begin with, also fix-able, but it should be a setting, not something you have to "fix" per-say. I willAlthough our expectations of "The Evil Within" were low, they turned out to be even too high for this disaster of a game. Not only does this game have the 30fps lock that Bethesda did say (which I might add you can change with some console commands), but the aspect ratio is messed up to begin with, also fix-able, but it should be a setting, not something you have to "fix" per-say. I will say that the graphics did look nice, though the brightness slider in the beginning wasn't accurate at all, even after I "cheated" a bit and made it a bit brighter than was suggested, I still couldn't see anything in some scenarios.

The gameplay, however, was drab, and boring. Not much fun at all, nor t he least bit scary. It seems to have tried to take the sneaking aspect from games like Outlast or Amnesia, but the AI doesn't function well enough to make the game scary. I'd often find myself hiding out under a bed for five minutes, only to get out when the killer walked away, but have to return to my hiding place when he turned right back around and resumed the same post.
  9. Oct 14, 2014
    30 fps locker and "movies black stripe" for better playing? Really? It isn funny. This **** is so bad as the first version of Dark Souls on pc. I try to play with K+M and result? Terrible...Moving the cursor is the same as using analog on a contoller. This game on pc i so bad. In year 2014 we have graphic from year 2009, fps lock and other "feature"....If you want play it, buy it on30 fps locker and "movies black stripe" for better playing? Really? It isn funny. This **** is so bad as the first version of Dark Souls on pc. I try to play with K+M and result? Terrible...Moving the cursor is the same as using analog on a contoller. This game on pc i so bad. In year 2014 we have graphic from year 2009, fps lock and other "feature"....If you want play it, buy it on console. And if you want good horor game. Buy new Alien, Outlast or play older games from Resident series. Expand
  10. Oct 15, 2014
    There is no optimization, camera is awful, gameplay is boring. Main character is so weak, story is too slow and it's not original at all. At first it seems that game is interesting, but when first enemy shown, and you try to fight with him - all became so unprofessional. Because of weird camera you can't see half of the screen and you step at dangerous trap every 5 second.
  11. Oct 15, 2014
    You call this next gen? Looks like Resident Evil 4. Graphics sucks. Its past gen. I have seen better looking games on android.. "almost". Forced letterbox aspect ratio is a dumb idea. Console commands fullscreen makes the fov horrible. Couldn't stand playing this game for more than an hour. I'm not usually picky but this game was awful.
  12. Oct 14, 2014
    Do not buy this game if you like to rebind your keys to those around the arrow keys instead. The key binding is much like that of the last Wolfenstein game. We can bind multiple buttons to the same function, but the numberpad is not separate from the Insert, End and Delete keys. I use the keys above my hand and to the side. So when I use End above my hand, the one on the numberpad is boundDo not buy this game if you like to rebind your keys to those around the arrow keys instead. The key binding is much like that of the last Wolfenstein game. We can bind multiple buttons to the same function, but the numberpad is not separate from the Insert, End and Delete keys. I use the keys above my hand and to the side. So when I use End above my hand, the one on the numberpad is bound simultaneously and this gives me less of the keys I use.

The game is also badly optimised for PC! Moving the cursor around feels very much like I'm using an analog on a controller. It's not so bad when I'm "looking" in game. But when I go to aim it's like I'm using a controller.

I can't bind "interact/confirm" to the enter key. I can't even bind sneak and sprint to my side mouse buttons which is what I would use by default.

I was really looking forward to this game but I am seriously disappointed in what's been done for those that play it on PC.
  13. Oct 15, 2014
    The real horror of this game lies in how scary bad the PC port is. Just incredible.

Keybinding is a mess, and it feels like a constant fight against the games desire to be played with a controller. The frame rate is a joke at 30fps. Yes, it can be unlocked, but we shouldn't have to do that, it should be an option in the game, instead of a lazy port which requires you to be a techie

The frame rate is a joke at 30fps. Yes, it can be unlocked, but we shouldn't have to do that, it should be an option in the game, instead of a lazy port which requires you to be a techie to get the best out of it.

The controls are outright bizarre. It's a difficult enough game as it is, but when you combine that with having to drag your mouse around like it's stuck in tar and it's a recipe for disaster, and you simply have to use a control to get anywhere close to the meat of the game.

The game doesn't look too impressive either, certainly for a 2014 game. It feels like a game from the PS3 era. Frame rate drops are persistent too, camera angles throughout vary between making little sense to being utterly stupid in their placement, and this is one of the only games to give me an acute feeling of motion sickness throughout; when a game literally makes you feel like you're going to vomit, you know you've done something wrong.

But for all that, there's a decent game lying underneath the problems. For PS4/XB1, this could very well be a good title on a platform which obviously demands controller support and therefore doesn't feel gimped by ONLY offering you that option, but PC gamers have different expectations and this title doesn't meet them in pretty much any way.
  14. Oct 14, 2014
    Is this how you treat PC gamers? There is no way of playing this game in fullscreen if you have a ultrawide cinema display. You guys force 2.35:1 aspect ratio yet when I run the game on my 21:9 monitor I get black bars all around even when I have the resolution at 3440x1440 in settings. Removing the black bars with the console only remove the top and bottom bars. The game is still stuck atIs this how you treat PC gamers? There is no way of playing this game in fullscreen if you have a ultrawide cinema display. You guys force 2.35:1 aspect ratio yet when I run the game on my 21:9 monitor I get black bars all around even when I have the resolution at 3440x1440 in settings. Removing the black bars with the console only remove the top and bottom bars. The game is still stuck at 16:9 aspect ratio. Points lost.

Why on earth would you cap the game to 30fps. I almost puked 20 minutes into the game. Not because of the gore but the motion sickness and low fps. Can be fixed in the console. The game should run at 60fps by default. Points lost.

The only reason why I gave this game 3 points is because its a good game. I was really excited when I saw the trailer for this game. I love survival horror games but I have to be able to play it on my ultrawide monitor or it will lose its immersion.
  15. Oct 14, 2014
    Exactly what I expected from the beginning and what they showed in the trailer other than 30 fps and the black bars. can not ask for a 10 the first game of this study, over time failures iran polishing his future works.
  16. Oct 14, 2014
    You can unlock 60 fps and gg this game is **** awesome !!!! one of the best horror games in years so go and buy it now!!!!! or the evil will kill you!!
  17. Oct 29, 2014
    Well today the game got a ( 1.5 GB ) patch, it now runs at 60 fps and the cinema mode can be removed . I played the game at launch and thought it had potential but would not play at 30 fps with the bars but after the patch that's no longer an issue .
    I have not finished the game but have played for long enough to form an opinion of it ( chapter 4 ) even though my play-through is still in the early part of the game I can safely say its great . Its a very good survival horror and has a wonderful atmosphere about it, great areas/settings and all the elements you would expect in a survival horror, traps, puzzles, danger, low ammunition levels and cool and original enemies. plus you are tense as hell while playing .
    My approach to the game is to use stealth as much as possible but the game changes gears in a split second so its not an option a lot and that's cool with me .

Haters gonna hate but I would recommend this game highly and its cheap on PC at only £34.99 compared to £50 on console .
  18. Oct 30, 2014
    Thanks for a patch! Excellent game, with the cool atmosphere, the intriguing plot and a pleasant visual row. I love Japanese games in them there is the unique spirit. Buy this game and support Tango, after all so seldom there are such stylish games
  19. Nov 3, 2014
    Now that the game has been patched it's in my humble opinion mostly flawless experience that's aimed for the older Resident Evil audience. It's challenging but fair. It's visually appealing and has some of the most impressive texture art in my recent memory. That doesn't mean that the textures are from the sharpest end of the stick it's just that it seems that thanks to idTech5 almost allNow that the game has been patched it's in my humble opinion mostly flawless experience that's aimed for the older Resident Evil audience. It's challenging but fair. It's visually appealing and has some of the most impressive texture art in my recent memory. That doesn't mean that the textures are from the sharpest end of the stick it's just that it seems that thanks to idTech5 almost all the textures contain unique features in them. Level design is very organic. Sound and music is ok but not very remarkable. Monster design is very good. Controls are fairly responsive after you active the 60 FPS mode. I didn't find the film black bars problematic but rather played the game without them. The idea is that there are effects based on taking in and out the black film bars on top and bottom part of the screen. Adjusting FOV allows you to see around. The game has few design flaws regarding the stealth elements. With ammunition very scarce that is the perfect recipe to some really challenging difficulty spikes inside the game. Plot has been written in such a way they player should play the game through at least twice to understand the plot in its entirely. It has lots of interesting details and stuff that recent games have not had. Overall it's a great game and very much something akin to a spiritual remake of Resident Evil 4. Additional note about Windows-PC version is that you might have to adjust the game through the console to make it work the way you want even with the patch that fixed many of the issues reviews here at Metacritic complain about. Expand
  20. Nov 2, 2014
    Excellent game! Purchased on launch day for the PC and have not encountered any major glitches at all. Agreed - the roundabout way of overcoming the aspect ratio and the fps cap are awkward but have not given me any issues or technical glitches - its nice that the option has been considered for us PC gamers. Love the story line so far instant classic.
  21. Nov 3, 2014
    I just finished the demo and I consider this game ONE OF THE BEST survival horror I've played in my life. I'm looking forward to buy this title sooner!
  22. Nov 8, 2014
    I've just completed the game, and it was great! This game is the true successor of Resident Evil 4, Shinji Mikami at his best. The Evil Within is a old-school horror, with stunning atmosphere and nicely balanced gameplay. The graphic is well done, very detailed, especially the environments. The music is unsettling and the the sound effects are creepily good. Level design is really wellI've just completed the game, and it was great! This game is the true successor of Resident Evil 4, Shinji Mikami at his best. The Evil Within is a old-school horror, with stunning atmosphere and nicely balanced gameplay. The graphic is well done, very detailed, especially the environments. The music is unsettling and the the sound effects are creepily good. Level design is really well thought, every chapter have some unique characteristic, never repetitive or boring. The lacking of ammunitions keeps the difficulty to a good level, never frustrating, but challenging. The longevity is also quite good, it took me about 19 hours to complete the game. Once cleared, the game will unlock some new weapon such as the rocket launcher and the machine gun. Also the Model Viewer will unlock in the main menu, so it's possible to look closely to all the characters and creatures of the game.
    My only negative note is that sometimes you encounter some hidden track that kills you inevitably. But fortunately there is an abundance of checkpoints, so the player doesn't really need to redo very long parts of the tevel.
    I really recommend this game to all Resident Evil fans and whoever likes classics horrors.
  23. Nov 10, 2014
    after dead space best horror survival title and not for just a game as a mind story and movie style. if call of duty action peaced storytelling titles score 9 or 8 this game simply 20. I loved its hard for casual gamers.
  24. Nov 10, 2014
    Positive: Great Long Campaign, a Lot of Boss Fights, Variety of Enemies, Great Sound Technics, Useful Upgrade System
    Negative: The Storytelling is not Good.
  25. Jan 17, 2015
    an average game or maybe a little below average , that's slow and methodical to develop, with paid dlc content to get basic weapon like a fire crossbow bolt, over all uneventful slog to get thru with no high point's, with nice graphics , since they released the patch to remove the black bars, recommend for about 10 bucks ,
  26. Dec 24, 2014
    What I liked:
    - the creativity and imagination poured into this game is unsurpassed
    - the protagonist reminded me of a certain John Marston - game was very stable - the ending.. at long last What I disliked: - saving the game is very cumbersome and painful - ammo is very scarce that I ended up using the clunky melee attack more than I'd use guns - the handgun/magnum is
    What I liked:
    - the creativity and imagination poured into this game is unsurpassed
    - the protagonist reminded me of a certain John Marston
    - game was very stable
    - the ending.. at long last

What I disliked:
    - saving the game is very cumbersome and painful
    - the handgun/magnum is horrendously inaccurate
    - early encounter with Ruvik is nothing but nuisance
    - some portions where the game locks your camera at a certain angles can be very disorienting
    - very poor visibility in dark areas
    - extreme visual effects can make your eyes and head hurt in epileptic proportion
    - inconsistent damage from fire

A marriage between Resident evil and Silent Hill, with The Matrix as venue - an experiment gone wrong.

The game is peppered with cheap traps, cheap deaths, mediocre scares, levers and cranks, and distasteful visual effects that leave your head and eyes hurting.

The only horror to you'd face here is that curiosity got the better of you to pickup the game.
  27. Nov 13, 2014
    This game gave me Re4 feeling with more twisted and gore gameplay i LOVED it.
    it took me sometime but it feels really good and the graphics are amazing.
  28. Oct 24, 2014
    All of these nagative reviews are preposterous & I highly doubt the majority of them have even played the game, or much of it. Right now the PC version is at a 5.4, while even the crappy PS3 & 360 are both at a 7.6. There is NO possible way that the PC version is that much worse than either of those. It has FAR better graphics than either of them (and also better than the PS4/XBone), theAll of these nagative reviews are preposterous & I highly doubt the majority of them have even played the game, or much of it. Right now the PC version is at a 5.4, while even the crappy PS3 & 360 are both at a 7.6. There is NO possible way that the PC version is that much worse than either of those. It has FAR better graphics than either of them (and also better than the PS4/XBone), the framerate is unlockable (it runs at 30 fps on ALL consoles and it NOT unlockable), and the black bars are removable ONLY on the PC version. I've seen a number of terrible reviews here that say get it on a console because the PC has black bars. Well guess what idiots... the console versions have them also & as stated, they are NOT removeable on the consoles. People calling this a bad port either have a terrible system or haven't even played the game - because it actually runs better and looks better on PC than on any other platform. Now, regarding the gameplay, I personally love it. Does it have stealth? Yes, but that's not all it has as some of the bad reviews state. Again, have they even PLAYED the game outside of the first two chapters? I would guess not because they would know the game takes several turns in gameplay styles in different chapters. Regardless, the game being either fun or scary is subjective. The point of my review is to get across that people should ignore the reviewers giving this bad ratings because it's a "horrible port", because it runs poorly, or that it has black bars. Those people are wrong and completely clueless. How it has a user rating that's significantly lower than even the PS3/360 versions (which are the worst - especially in the graphics department), when it's even better than the PS4/XBone versions is beyond me. It clearly the superior version of the game, in every way. Expand
  29. Oct 28, 2014
    I thought the control was actually good and the graphics, game play, story is really good. And the 30 fps lock shows that some pc gamers should spend a month with a rotten potato laptop.
  30. Oct 27, 2014
    I just finished evil within putting 15 hours into it. It is truly one of the best survival horror games I have ever played in my life. I bought this and shadow of mordor recently and this beats it in every single way.
  31. Oct 27, 2014
    I played this on xbox one and had zero issues. While the game could have been better story and character wise I found I had a lot of fun and kept coming back to it. My only issues were that disarming traps could be difficult due to sensitive controls and some chapters dragged a little and after fighting 2 bosses I was expecting a break not another long slog. Other than that I thoroughlyI played this on xbox one and had zero issues. While the game could have been better story and character wise I found I had a lot of fun and kept coming back to it. My only issues were that disarming traps could be difficult due to sensitive controls and some chapters dragged a little and after fighting 2 bosses I was expecting a break not another long slog. Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game.

Not sure why some people are being so negative about this game as it was well polished and delivered what I was expecting. You can't just play this as a shooter like some people claimed here (maybe they are on casual?), if you do that you do not have enough ammo to continue. You need to use stealth and the environment to help clear out enemies while retaining enough ammo for bosses. The last couple of chapters do stray from this though and I ended up with far more parts for the agony crossbow than I could use.
  32. Oct 21, 2014
    Like most users say - bad screen aspect ratio and 30fps eclipse almost everything good with this game...
    It killed it for me, at least....
    4/10 i don't recommend
  33. Nov 11, 2014
    This game is god damn awesome. I'm at chapter 7 now and everything's been perfect up to now. Among the best visuals out there, perfect for testing my GTX 970 :). I don't understand people, how could this get a 54% userscore? Sure there was the 30fps lock/letterbox problem, but the patch fixed that in the first week, get over it. This site is filled with angry kids who don't have toThis game is god damn awesome. I'm at chapter 7 now and everything's been perfect up to now. Among the best visuals out there, perfect for testing my GTX 970 :). I don't understand people, how could this get a 54% userscore? Sure there was the 30fps lock/letterbox problem, but the patch fixed that in the first week, get over it. This site is filled with angry kids who don't have to hardware to play correctly and then whine it's the game fault. Expand
  34. Nov 9, 2014
    After the first update 60 fps cap and black bars can be removed. the gameplay was not anything new and the story could use a bit of polishing, but shading and textures were very realistic, although some resolutions were very low, technical issues and crashes were annoying but overall it was a very pleasing experience for a horror fan like me.
  35. Oct 17, 2014
    The Evil Within has a nice bleak atmosphere, the resource scarcity definitely adds to that; there are some tense moments and the level design is pretty nice aswell (especially the outside areas). The game plays solid, so if thats all you care for, I'd say go for it. However:

- The upgrade system is completely useless You don't usually carry a lot of ammo, so being able to cut the

- The upgrade system is completely useless
    You don't usually carry a lot of ammo, so being able to cut the reload time in half isn't much of an upgrade. Sure, you can upgrade lots of different aspects, but the game could have done perfectly fine without the upgrade system. All in all it feels a little forced. (Maybe so they can market the game as featuring 'RPG elements'?)

- The stealth system is completely useless
    Or at least, doesn't work at all. Or at the very least, doesn't work like the developers intended it to. If shooting my 160db revolver doesn't phase the monsters but throwing a bottle to distract them does, there's something fundamentally broken.

- The hidden traps/bombs are completely useless
    As they stop beeping when you crouch, which doesn't make sense at all. They probably did this to make the player crouch more. (Maybe so they can market the game as featuring 'stealth elements'?)

- The story is dull, boring and generic

- It isn't actually all that scary

- The graphics are dated

- The game is a little repetitive
    Press lever, door opens, mobs come out.

- Sometimes the game is not being logical
    which for me totally ruins immersion. In the beginning your leg gets badly injured and you spend half a level limping about - one cutscene later you're fine again.

- Ending is ****

- Last but not least: The PC port is utter crap
    Lots of other people have mentioned this - it's badly optimized, locked to 30fps and has a weird aspect ratio. And no, console commands to fix things are not an excuse.
  36. Oct 19, 2014
    I was really looking forward to this game. I am real junkie of horror survival games and movies. Unfortunately this game is broken on pc. If you don't have Xbox controller, then stay the f**k out of this game. The k+m controls are imprecise. Another technical issue is 30 fps lock; witch makes game almost unplayable, in my opinion. What’s the f******g point buying high end graphic cards ifI was really looking forward to this game. I am real junkie of horror survival games and movies. Unfortunately this game is broken on pc. If you don't have Xbox controller, then stay the f**k out of this game. The k+m controls are imprecise. Another technical issue is 30 fps lock; witch makes game almost unplayable, in my opinion. What’s the f******g point buying high end graphic cards if game developers lock frame rate to 30 fps? And there is this annoying aspect ratio that really grinds my gears. WTF?! It looks retarded and plays retarded. What is worse is that even it is possible to "fix" those issues, with unlocking console controls; the game still plays like crap. The aspect ratio is 2.35:1, by default and by changing aspect ratio, so it is in "full screen" mode, I notice that frame rate dropped significantly and after changing to new aspect ratio, the main character in the game "gets bigger", so much that it almost covers half of the view in the game. It seems like the whole view in the game gets somehow "cropped" or "blown up" It doesn't look nice at all. But how is the game it self. Is it scary in any way? Does it have any interesting story? The game is developed by some Japanese dude and creator of RE series, as you all probably know that already. I never played any of those games so I was kind of new to this. But if this is how those games are, then I know I never will try them. The gameplay is awful and very uninspiring. The texture in the game are just ugly, it is simply awful looking game, and what is worse is that this game is badly optimized for pc and it plays like s***. Forget high frame rates! The game doesn't feel like a survival horror game. It feels more like some clunky survival game, were you must gather some green crap, by killing monsters, so that you can upgrade your character. And then, by some miracle you get more ammo storage, better weapon damage, etc,etc. I really didn't find this kind of upgrade system interesting in survival game. Some people may find it interesting. For me it felt like some kind of unnecessary distraction. Game gets very frustrating because you die a lot, and not because of some tactical mistake made in the game. It is because of this sh***y aspect ratio and controls and all the other technical issues. It is frustrating even to make precise aiming or have any kind of control over any situation. The controls and the aspect ratio really make this game difficult to play. I don't understand what were developers thinking when they decided to make this game so unplayable. What about characters? The main characters in game are boring and sometimes annoying. I didn't care about any of them. The dialogs are boring and just made me skip most of those looong movie cut scenes, which I hate in games. I buy game to be able to interact with it. If I want a movie, I can always watch something on Netflix. Games are made to be interactive. It isn't scary game either. Maybe there are some few cheap jump scares that will make babies and small children cry, but overall, the game isn't scary at all. Though, it is very gory, which may appeal to some folks out there. It feels more like a survival game then a horror game. Disappointing! How about the story? Is it any good? If it is difficult to connect emotionally to the main characters, then the story itself will be less interesting. I got very confused and had problems to get anything meaningful from the story. I felt they were jumping from place to place all the time and I lost track of what was the story about. In the end, I really didn't care. The only thing that I really liked was the creative design of all the enemies . Would I recommend this game to anyone? Not for pc! Don't buy this game for pc. You might regret it. Expand
  37. Oct 15, 2014
    While critics are praising it, players are giving it what it deserves. It's a hallway shooter with each chapter around half an hour or less and can be completed in less then 6 hours. It's not scary, if you think it is then this is the first video game you've ever played, even when I played it at Pax I was bored as sh*t. It's mediocre for gameplay and story, and terrible in aspect ratio and fps.
  38. Oct 20, 2014
    Dear Bethesda,

I downloaded this game from a torrent site. Why? Because of id Tech 5. I got myself fooled into this engine two times (Rage and Wolfenstein TNO). Let's talk about these: both games are GREAT, especially Wolfenstein. And they are destroyed, only because of id Tech 5. Now you successfully ruined The Evil Within on the PC with that unusable game engine. My problems with
    Dear Bethesda,

My problems with it:

- the games are horribly big for nothing
    - the system requirements are unreal for the graphics
    - speaking of unreal, UE 3 looks a million times better
    - games with id Tech 5 are nearly unplayable on AMD cards

So. I pre-ordered The Evil Within at first, than I looked at its requirements. They were pretty high, but since i don't believe these I checked the engine (yes, because of Bethesda as the publisher). As soon as I saw that it uses id Tech 5 I cancelled my pre-order, and I really hope a lot of people will ask for refunds for this catastrophe. The PC version is basically unplayable. Because of the technical issues I was not able to try the game. No matter what I set in the options it won't go higher that 15-17 FPS, as every id Tech 5 games. That makes the game pointless to play.

I know that my 60$ won't do any damage to a publisher like Bethesda, but I'm really happy that I downloaded this game from torrent. My 60$ is not burned this way.
  39. Oct 18, 2014
    Don't let the title fool you ..this is Resident Evil 4.5, and probably came out about half a decade too late. First of all your probably have heard of all the technical setbacks this game is riddled with...my biggest gripe was with the FOV after changing the aspect ratio through the console...I could see some screen, but mostly a lot of ass. If I really wanted a to get a close up of aDon't let the title fool you ..this is Resident Evil 4.5, and probably came out about half a decade too late. First of all your probably have heard of all the technical setbacks this game is riddled with...my biggest gripe was with the FOV after changing the aspect ratio through the console...I could see some screen, but mostly a lot of ass. If I really wanted a to get a close up of a rear end of some guy I'd venture to a gay bar , with a magnifying glass in hand (vomit).

This game was supposed to be scary, well it's far from it. Watching the Exorcism backwards on mute is much scarier, in fact, playing Kirby on a monochromatic gameboy is scarier. There's gratuitous amounts of blood though. Gallons and gallons of it. What we have here is a quantity over quality conundrum, so the only way this game is bound to scare you is if you're a hemophiliac.

Maybe Mikami should get in touch with the developers at Creative Assembly to get some pointers on how a scary game should be made. In fact , if I was Japanese I'd try to lure him into one of those Japanese prank shows, where they scare the living bejesus out of the participants. He deserves it, because he's released such a disappointing schlock of a game that I waited months to come out only to be kicked in the teeth by a steaming turd boot and splashed with 3893829829283 liters of HIV infected blood.

So in the vein of conan o' brien (clueless gamer)...If a high score was a possessed ghoulish pasty white girl with a rotating head, and a really bad score was a chainsaw wielding inbred brute suffering from acromegaly. Then this game is a little girl that's lost in the woods; she's soiled herself and she's crying for mommy to come save her.
  40. Oct 26, 2014
    This is definitely one of the best survival horror, assuming you are NOT: - ignoring the system requirements.
    - playing on "casual" difficulty (why would you do that?).
    - following a walkthrough to the letter. I guess 70% of the people scoring it a zero because of the performance - or this being a bad port - didn't bother checking the system requirements before buying the game and the
    - playing on "casual" difficulty (why would you do that?).
    - following a walkthrough to the letter.

I guess 70% of the people scoring it a zero because of the performance - or this being a bad port - didn't bother checking the system requirements before buying the game and the remaining 30% have no clue about their system specs and/or probably don't know how to check this lol...

Of course there are a few things that irritates me, i.e. can't bind middle mouse click to anything, the story seems a bit incomplete and not sufficiently elaborated and finally the resource hog that the ID Tech 5 engine is - is it really worth it?

PS: I'd honestly give it an 8/10 but I had to give it a 10 in order to offset with people scoring it an unjustified zero (seriously it's not that bad).
  41. Oct 15, 2014
    I've played quite a few survival horror games in the past but none compare to this. Forget Resident Evil and everything therein. This game has lots of blood and gore, lots of pretty scary situations, and most of all, its combat qualities, different paths to create your own attack scenarios which require stealth and timing, and like other survival horror games, use of items require tact andI've played quite a few survival horror games in the past but none compare to this. Forget Resident Evil and everything therein. This game has lots of blood and gore, lots of pretty scary situations, and most of all, its combat qualities, different paths to create your own attack scenarios which require stealth and timing, and like other survival horror games, use of items require tact and precision or you're toast. The lighting is superb, the atmosphere is perfect for its genre, the characters are more intriguing than usual, and overall its just downright addictive! If you enjoyed the Outlast series, let me introduce its king. This game is a testament to survival horror, and quite possibly the best that has ever been made. OUTSTANDING!! Expand
  42. Oct 15, 2014
    The only thing that's scary/frightening about this game is how bad and awful it is. Games like Resident Evil 4 and The Last of Us is much more interesting than this piece of code. Just pass by this game.
  43. Oct 16, 2014
    As a fan of Alan Wake and ist superior Overall-perfect Quality, I waited for this game and was not disappointed! The game creates a very tense atmosphere, a dark.claustrophobic tone, I last got from aforementioned Alan Wake. In 2014 you easily can connect your pc to your TV and use an xbox 360 Controller. Works perfekt. Looks like playing on a Xbox One! Played 2,5 h on my first session andAs a fan of Alan Wake and ist superior Overall-perfect Quality, I waited for this game and was not disappointed! The game creates a very tense atmosphere, a dark.claustrophobic tone, I last got from aforementioned Alan Wake. In 2014 you easily can connect your pc to your TV and use an xbox 360 Controller. Works perfekt. Looks like playing on a Xbox One! Played 2,5 h on my first session and immediatelly fell in love and fell into the dark atmosphere.. I died alot of times (bad mistakes, traps, wrong button pressed, Need to get used to the controller).

Gave it a 9/10 because it could use a Little more polish. Runs smooth on my rig (i5 4570, 8 GB RAM, 660ti) on Standard Settings, maybe I can push up things a Little bit, but everything is just fine!

Buy it, if you like Alan Wake, Resident Evil, Silent Hill
  44. Oct 16, 2014
    If you got a Xbox controller and are ready to type two commands, you are set to go!

I am enjoying this game alot, is it worth the buck? HELL YES. This game is totally worth the money if you are a fan of what the japaneese are cooking up in games, the athmosphere is immersive, the scares are quite good but starts to drop mid gameas far as I've played now. Keep in mind, Bethesda

I am enjoying this game alot, is it worth the buck? HELL YES.

Keep in mind, Bethesda will patch this technical diffeculties so you get what you want for your money eventually.

I dont want to spoil anything here, just pick up your xbox controller and setup a shortcut with commands so you dont have to type in with the console everytime and this game is alot to enjoy.

9/10 - One of the best games I've played for a long time, beats Alien isolation by far, maybe not in scares but just how the game is overall designed. There is put alot of thought behind everything here.

the minus point i put because the story is kind of dull and hard to follow, I expect this to be a all answer in the end kind of thing.
  45. Oct 17, 2014
    First things first. The Evil Within IS a crappy port. And keep in mind it's that kind of gamebreaking crappy port, like most of the "AAA" titles this year. This one tough has a pathetic excuse for being broken as the developers said: it's "design choices".

Technical difficulties apart, there's the actual gameplay. The Evil Within is a cheesy action tittle with some stealth elements that tries in all the wrong ways resemble to the 00's survival horrors. It does have plenty of gore and dangerous creatures, asylum or abandoned towns settings, but it ends there. The deformed creatures are nothing but boring. There's no psychological horror or mystery, just a straightforward linear action/stealth gore. You know everything that's going on from the moment you see it. The atmosphere created is so graphically explicit that has no substantial horror in it.

You should download the game instead of buying because It is not worth the price, the developers does not deserve the support and you will get tired pretty soon and delete it, forgetting it ever existed.
  46. Oct 18, 2014
    This game is very bad, definitely one of the crappiest ports I've ever played in my life, and I've been playing for over 20 years, this is ridiculous, totally broken pile of stinking crap, yes we can use console to fix some of the problems, but we shouldn't have to, and developers shouldn't excuse themselves and say that all the broken things were "artistic choices", it's unacceptable andThis game is very bad, definitely one of the crappiest ports I've ever played in my life, and I've been playing for over 20 years, this is ridiculous, totally broken pile of stinking crap, yes we can use console to fix some of the problems, but we shouldn't have to, and developers shouldn't excuse themselves and say that all the broken things were "artistic choices", it's unacceptable and unbelievable that they came up with that excuse. I'm glad I didn't buy it, because I would be even more angry. it was a total waste of bandwidth and time downloading this. Maybe in some future update it'll be fixed, though I highly doubt it :( The score (0) is for the PC port and not the game itself. Expand
  47. Oct 19, 2014
    Done. 12:31:45 with 56 deaths. Despite it's shortcomings, this is one of my favourite Mikami games. But Chapter 15 is so anti-climatic. As a set-piece, it's awesome and exciting, but as an actual boss fight it's terrible. It's like they couldn't figure out a way for you to properly fight it, so they said **** it" and just threw it out. And then there's no memorable dialogue or exchangeDone. 12:31:45 with 56 deaths. Despite it's shortcomings, this is one of my favourite Mikami games. But Chapter 15 is so anti-climatic. As a set-piece, it's awesome and exciting, but as an actual boss fight it's terrible. It's like they couldn't figure out a way for you to properly fight it, so they said **** it" and just threw it out. And then there's no memorable dialogue or exchange between Ruvik and Sebastian which is wasted potential.

That said, I'm pleasantly surprised by the story. It's deeper than I thought it would be, and it clicks nicely.

All in all, 9 or so/10 for me. My gripes are mainly on the tech side, which I have a feeling is due to id Tech 5 and them not knowing what to do with it. In many ways it surpasses RE4, and in some ways it also falls short. But The Evil Within is better than RE4 in my eyes. That may change in subsequent playthroughs, but I love the creative effort put into this game.
  48. Oct 21, 2014
    So I have played about 9 hours of this game, and feel I can give a decent overview of how it is. First yes the picture is in letterboxing(black bars on top and bottom) but this comes as no surprise, because at every event that this game has been shown at, this has always been the case. The luxury of PC is that we will be able to remove them(and actually there are a few mods to do this).So I have played about 9 hours of this game, and feel I can give a decent overview of how it is. First yes the picture is in letterboxing(black bars on top and bottom) but this comes as no surprise, because at every event that this game has been shown at, this has always been the case. The luxury of PC is that we will be able to remove them(and actually there are a few mods to do this). Now that we have that out of the way, let us move on to the second huge issue people seem to have. 30 FPS. On PC it is not nearly as stuttering(or noticeable) as consoles. People are choosing to moan about something, because they feel entitled. They have always said this game would run at 30FPS and you knew this before purchase. Thankfully, once again, there are console commands, and most likely some mods that will fix this. As for the actual game(which reviews should be based on) it is a fairly decent survival/horror game, that starts off fairly slow, and builds a decent(not amazing) story along the way. Some enemy fights, are incredibly annoying, but some of the boss battles offer a unique experience that will ramp up the tension. I don't feel that the game is a true terrifying experience, as it commits closer to the Resident Evil formula(more along the lines of 4), but some situations pit you in scenarios where you will have to think on your feet. The designs in this game are absolutely beautiful and some bosses are incredibly unique. Overall if your a survivor horror fan, then you are in for a decent experience. Expand
  49. Nov 19, 2014
    dont know why you all cry about the game running poorly.. for me it runs perfectly, no clunky controles, no bad framerate.. (300fps here). learn to set up your computer properly.
    and for people complaining about that its not scary, might be cause you dont play it in the proper settings, this is meant to be enjoyed like a horror movie, hence the black bars and movie grain effect. you need to sit alone in the dark, with headphones on while playing. and if for thoes who says the story is bad, is cause they are too stupid too understand all the little hints, and the way it is supposed to play out.

btw reviews based on technical issues, is just like pissing your pants when its cold. get a better comp or buy a console and stop whining.

10/10.
  50. Oct 25, 2014
    I'll completely ignore the fact that the game is locked to 30fps and has 2 black bars but I'm gonna be honest about it, this game is **** and not because of those limitations.

First of all the game is unnecesary stretched. There are 15 chapters in the game and absolutely nothing important happens from chapter 2 to 8, they play like naruto fillers... there may be some interesting sequence once or twice but it could have been condensed in one or two chapters, not 7.

Chapter 1 is great for setting up the game and really hypes you but after that the game becomes generic third person number 999 with uninsteresting locales like: demolished castle, demolished asylum, demolished sewers and demolished etcetera,

Chapter 2 to 8 don't deserve any kind of review... really... I think for the first time in chapter 6 someone talks and asks the question they should have asked like 10 chapters ago: what's happening, where are we? etc... funnily enough no one answers.

Chapter 9 is excellent and it is what the whole game should have been, it has puzzles and great atmosphere, suspense and tension.

Chapters 10 to 15 are ok... although the ending is ridiculous and so so bad it is not even funny.

Biggest problem with the game is from the start you know **** is not happening because the story makes no sense and even after finishing it... it still makes no sense. We get glimpses of Castellano's family story through a diary but it doesn't have any kind of impact on the story and the things we learn about rubik are cool but experiments are not explained and we don't know who is working for who or why... it really feels like the game is incomplete lorewise and I'm sure they plan to milk people with DLC, lol.

Instant Death is horrible and sequences sometimes feel like Dragon's Lair... a tense situation quickly becomes boring and tedious and it really screws with the general atmosphere, you know something is wrong when instead of slowly opening doors you're kicking them open while charging with almost unlimited ammo shooting everything in the head.

Graphics are really good and character progression (through skills) feels good except for some useless skills like melee... but in the end this game is a mediocre third person shooter, not a survival, that will not scare anyone but children... and will not hold anyone's attention with its stupid lack of story.

It's like this people really forgot what makes a horror game great: suspense, tension and exploration.

Shinji retire... or make a whole new game like chapter 9.
  51. Oct 19, 2014
    Terrible A.I with low resolution textures, bad lighting, lack of anti-aliasing, low framerate and sluggish controls.

This game is the disappointment of the year.
  52. Oct 17, 2014
    I'm sure you all have played really old games, like from the 90's, nowadays. Games, where you can't set the resolution above 640x480, so you have a screen with black borders around it and it looks ugly.
    This is that game! AND I have 15 fps on the STARTING SCREEN - nothing happened, you see a black background and you get 15 fps! WTBF? My rig runs Crysis 3 fluently. And TEW looks horrendous on top of that! Is this a sick joke? I watch a strip of screen, (all configs turned to low), that is noisy, almost all black, ugly textures and I get around 20 fps. This is an insult :) Do people pay for this? And the don't RMA? Then you can do ANYTHING with them... They won't scream for anything.

Besides this the gameplay itself is atrocious. Checkpoints, so you have to do 10 mins of repeat, everytime you die. You do everything with space, sit, jump, open, climb, **** etc. On consoles you have only 8 buttons, you have to live with that. But on pcs, you know, we have a lot more of them... This game wasn't ported to the pc, it is just sold to the pc. Back to the game: a trashy C or D movie's script, you basically know everything that wil happen before you install it.
    If you rate this above 0 you either a "friend" of the devs or you are an enemy of (any kind of) gaming.
  53. Oct 17, 2014
    Simply outstanding in every single way. Tense, horrific, survival horror in detailed and gorgeous environments. Mikami has delivered the best survival horror game of its kind in recent memory.
  54. Oct 19, 2014
    Let me start off with saying that this is a terrible port , my overclocked r9 290 should be able to run this at a constant 60fps without drops no sweat .

2nd of all you have to go on stem activate the console and type in these 2 commands every time before you play r_swapinterval -1 and r_forceaspectratio 0 , in order to make it a bit more playable but that is still not enough the r9 290 oc should never go below 50 fps regardless of what is happening . Also you cant change FoV , i think the camera is too close to the person , and of course the graphics look nothing special . This is just like shadow of mordor which require 6gb of VRAM in order to max out . I dont even understand why pc games have to be ported from console even though it should be the opposite .
  55. Oct 17, 2014
    Really bad port Do Not Buy! It's an insult to all PC gamers. 30 FPS cap, no options for FOV etc.
    Next to that the graphics are the same as in 2007.
    It's not even scary it's an sneak and kill mechanic. It has no scary moments, it's a lot of waiting. The controls are even worse. If you get caught, you die. You have no fighting chance because the controls are messed up and you end up
    Next to that the graphics are the same as in 2007.
    The controls are even worse. If you get caught, you die. You have no fighting chance because the controls are messed up and you end up running into the walls.
  56. Oct 16, 2014
    Unfortunately this is a poor quality port of a reasonably good game.

Unfortunately this is a poor quality port of a reasonably good game.

If you enjoyed any of the Resident Evil games you will know what to expect and quite certainly enjoy what is on offer here. If you look at the finer points of the level, enemy and overall gameplay design you will start to notice while this is a solid survival horror game, the overall design and execution is a little rough around the edges and becoming a little dated. Still an enjoyable game, but likely only if you already a fan of the genre.

On PC however, this is a really poor quality port. The framerate is locked to 30fps, aspect ratio and FOV are both locked and the framerate is both poor and inconsistent.
    You can boost the framerate to 60fps by enabling the console, however this has various problems associated with it. Various environmental effects are noticeably still rendered at 30fps, you will get noticeable frame time and stuttering issues, as well the game struggles to stay above 60fps consistently even at only 1080p. Despite the use of a high end graphics card, you will still experience poor performance as the game underutilizes the GPU, as well it is has horribly unoptimized multi-threaded CPU performance to boot.
    Altering the aspect ratio reduces the effective FOV and you cannot increase the FOV, leaving very little adjustment available here.
    The Ultra Wide aspect ratio also will not display full screen on Ultra Wide displays, which is especially horrid as you end up with black bars on top and on the side of your screen.
    The game also crashes infrequently throughout.

I would recommend this on PS4 or Xbox One, but the framerate drops away from 30fps quite often. So while on one hand I wouldn't recommend this game on PC, as a PC game, I would still recommend it over the console counterparts. Load times on the PC are significantly faster and you will be able to maintain a steady 30fps at a native 1080p with a reasonably powerful PC, just expect to have virtually no level of customization and essentially a console style experience from top to bottom.
  57. Nov 20, 2014
    The choice to make your character LIMP through huge parts of the game is a deal breaker for me. It's just too slow to be fun. Also, it's like you're playing as someone's grandma. It's far easier to shoot a gun, dodge a haymaker punch, or just sprint for more than 2 seconds in REAL LIFE than in this game. Developers can increase difficulty through making tougher enemies or throughThe choice to make your character LIMP through huge parts of the game is a deal breaker for me. It's just too slow to be fun. Also, it's like you're playing as someone's grandma. It's far easier to shoot a gun, dodge a haymaker punch, or just sprint for more than 2 seconds in REAL LIFE than in this game. Developers can increase difficulty through making tougher enemies or through gimping your character. Choosing that 2nd option is a recipe for frustration. Expand
  58. Nov 14, 2014
    I do not understand how anyone can give this game a zero. I personally love this game. To me a game is great when I cannot wait to come home and play it. I love the survival horror games and this game keeps me on the edge of my seat at all times. It is much easier to play with a mouse and keyboard as aiming is much better. I tried playing it with a controller and it was veryI do not understand how anyone can give this game a zero. I personally love this game. To me a game is great when I cannot wait to come home and play it. I love the survival horror games and this game keeps me on the edge of my seat at all times. It is much easier to play with a mouse and keyboard as aiming is much better. I tried playing it with a controller and it was very difficult. Also play it on the easier setting. The easy setting is still very difficult but at least you get a little more ammunition. The game looks great and the voice acting is very good. If you are not a resident evil fan this probably will not be for you but if you like resident evil then this is a must buy. The metacritic user score is brought down by these ridiculous zero ratings. If you take away all of the 0 scores this game would have a very good rating. Expand
  59. Feb 19, 2015
    First sneak kill was not a sneak kill.

Instant kill with game. Don't tell me it's going to be a sneak kill when the guy just turns around and chops your damn head off, you dumb f**king idiot devs. Not recommended. Godawful frame rate on a high end system. No I will not bother with patches. IF you cannot be arsed to produce a game that doesn't work properly first time around, I
    First sneak kill was not a sneak kill.

Instant kill with game.

Not recommended. Godawful frame rate on a high end system. No I will not bother with patches. IF you cannot be arsed to produce a game that doesn't work properly first time around, I will not recommend it, I will not give it good marks, I will not suggest that my friends go out and buy a copy.

You screwed up. Bethesda, stick to your damn Elder Scrolls ffs.
  60. Nov 14, 2014
    I must admit that the game seemed stellar at first and I was blown away. I had the true feeling that this had the true essence of a nice continuation of what it was to be a true horror came, akin to early resident evil or the silent hill series (Do keep in mind this is relative to their release times).

However, after less than a few hours of gameplay i was bitterly disappointed by the repetitive gameplay elements and it seemed that the game simply boiled to a gameplay that closely resembled a splinter cell with zombies.

In the beginning i really had no expectations. My hopes were elevated to a completely fascinating degree, and dashed down like no before. Bravo.
  61. Nov 15, 2014
    The Evil Within had a lot of potential. The story centres around a generic type detective who, upon attending the scene of an asylum which has been subjected to an unexplained revolt by its inmates, is drawn inside the asylum to investigate. He is instead captured by the force within and must survive through a range of horrifying and deadly encounters not of this world.

The problem

The problem with the PC game is that it constantly crashes for me and the frame of view is weird with top and bottom black movie-type banners. Perhaps best to wait to get this one in the bargain bin/Steam sale. Hopefully by that they will have patched all the bugs.
  62. Nov 14, 2014
    After the patch when you could put 60fps from options and really play fullscreen i decided to give this game second chance. I really tried but just couldn't really enjoy playing this, it wasn't fun. When you play good game, you don't want it to end, but must say that after 6th chapter i already was waiting this game to end.

Plot is very confusing and not entertaining. Bossfights were

Plot is very confusing and not entertaining.
    Bossfights were boring.
    It's not fun to break every single barrel or vase and watch if you get more bullets or keys.
    And extra minus from Spider-Lady boss. Probably the most hated and the most frustrating boss in this century. Some people likes it, but i couldn't stand it.
  63. Nov 23, 2014
    Flawed as this game might be, it had moments, when I was amazed, truly amazed. I love surrealism and Beksinski, whose pieces of art looked similar to some scenes in The Evil Within.
  64. Nov 19, 2014
    As a longtime fan of the Resident Evil series, I am disappointed with this new installment, but at least it's better than RE6!
    Gameplay: 8/10
    Story: 6/10
    Visuals/Atmosphere: 9/10
    Sounds/Voice Acting: 6/10
    Overall: 7/10
    Would Recommend to a friend!
  65. Dec 18, 2014
    very slugish and underwhelming game play, controlls that cannot be edited to preference, and forced aspect ratios are among the issues with this "game" forced "press this button repetedly to do a basic task, gameplay features also are an issue. then you have the fact that the game just feels horrible. i reduced all the settings to minimum thinking it had to be a hardware issue.. but it isvery slugish and underwhelming game play, controlls that cannot be edited to preference, and forced aspect ratios are among the issues with this "game" forced "press this button repetedly to do a basic task, gameplay features also are an issue. then you have the fact that the game just feels horrible. i reduced all the settings to minimum thinking it had to be a hardware issue.. but it is not. that is just how the game play is. I would not reccomend this game to any one. if you want a decent survival horror type game, you should look at alien isolation. this game is a huge dissapointment from a person who brought some of my fave survival horror games to life. it is a shame. Expand
  66. Oct 16, 2014
    The Good: Great atmosphere and art direction. The game has a total Resident Evil 4 feel, but a bit slower and much more survival oriented. Terrific scenes of blood and gore, you're hurled through dark corridors and absurd scenes of violent horror without room for breathing. Burning bodies is a nice touch and the scarcity of matches will have you often deciding who to burn and who to leaveThe Good: Great atmosphere and art direction. The game has a total Resident Evil 4 feel, but a bit slower and much more survival oriented. Terrific scenes of blood and gore, you're hurled through dark corridors and absurd scenes of violent horror without room for breathing. Burning bodies is a nice touch and the scarcity of matches will have you often deciding who to burn and who to leave behind.

The Bad: Graphics are hit and miss. Some nice textures and art direction but a very aged feel to the game. Enemy AI can be blantantly dumb, sometimes getting stuck on fences and just walking eternally in place. Sometimes dying can feel unfair and leave you frustrated. You'll often not realize what's going to kill you and aren't prepared for death. Most of the enemies are zombie cannon-fodder, similar to Resident Evil 4.

The controversy: While the PC port "works", there does seem to be a few problems. The menus are otpimized for controllers with weird mouse lag at the title screen. Many people complain about the letterboxing but I feel like it adds to the claustrophobic cinematic horror of the game. After 2 chapters on my 23inch monitor I forgot they even existed. The key binding and ingame controls get alot of flakk but I don't see the issue. It plays much like Dead Space on the PC; a bit wishy washy and clunky but that's what classic survival horror is about. Characters are all very cheesy and cliche with baddish voice acting. If you came into the game expecting that Resident Evil appeal, then you'll probably enjoy the cheesiness of it. If you didn't you might be put off by it.

My thoughts: I really love the atmosphere and survival of this game. Jump scares and spooky monsters did not keep me tense, it was the lack of supplies and horrific environments. Many people don't touch on the psychological horror of the game, complaining about the lack of story. Most of the story progression comes in clues from the environment, including newspaper clippings, photos, and lines from the characters. The center of the game without spoiling the plot is just you being tortured relentlessly by some sick superhuman power. Thrown endlessly into horrible environments and just when you feel like you've made progress or caught up with your allies you're tossed into yet another torturous bloody pit or dark corridor. It's taxing on your mental state as your accomplishments are tossed away in an instant.

On a last note the charm of the Shinji Mikami really shine through in this game. In part due to the characters as I mentioned in controversy, in part due to the touches of absurdity found throughout the game. Like why am I being chased around by a giant dog monster while I try to retrieve my friend's glasses, or why am I running through a castle environment while zombies in wood boxes shoot gatling gun harpoons at me. I don't know. It's just the kind of game this dude makes. If you love what Mikami makes I don't see how you can not love this game.
  67. Oct 23, 2014
    i've seen dozens of review from some gamers, including theRadBrad (king of walkthrough). This game is fantastic and i know it'll give me a nightmare when i play it. There's nothing in the game that makes me feel sad about this game, so keep calm and play the evil within
  68. Oct 16, 2014
    The game is nice and scary but PC version is a total disaster. Black bars they are everywhere. Do not buy it if have PS or XBOX. Buy this game for the console instead.
  69. Oct 18, 2014
    Absolutely horrendous. I had little to no knowledge about the game prior to playing so I didn't know what expect. Nor did I have high or low expectations.
    I had watched the trailer for it but that's about it.
    I had watched the trailer for it but that's about it.
    The graphics are terrible, the gameplay is stale and repetitive, the AI is appalling, and even after 90 minutes of playing I'm not the least bit interested in the story. If you can even call it a story...
    The game is incredibly vague and not even slightly engaging. I was more annoyed than anything.
    It's almost 2015... we're way beyond this standard of game development.
    To summarize, it's nothing we haven't seen before and it's about as scary as a carebear.
  70. Oct 16, 2014
    Was waiting for a nice scare and wasn't disappointed.

Black bars don't let you see any detail on the monitor and when removed, the image's zoomed in. The character is so close to your eyeball it makes you dizzy in a matter of seconds. When removing the black bars with the help of the debug console the aiming is offset so you no longer shoot where your crosshair is. Niiiice!
    Was waiting for a nice scare and wasn't disappointed.

Although the game can be unlocked to 60 FPS, I can only imagine incompetence on the developer's side for this initial setting.

The PC development skills on the japanese developers are low to none. There are plenty of examples with extremely bad PC ports lately.
  71. Oct 15, 2014
    Some people can't go a day without whining about something and so here you see all the negative comments about this great new game. I've been looking forward to this game forever and so far the only thing I'm disappointed in is that it's game length is only around 20 hours. I don't care if some consider it a bad port, or the graphics might not be the best of 2014. It's a fun game to playSome people can't go a day without whining about something and so here you see all the negative comments about this great new game. I've been looking forward to this game forever and so far the only thing I'm disappointed in is that it's game length is only around 20 hours. I don't care if some consider it a bad port, or the graphics might not be the best of 2014. It's a fun game to play if you like survival/horror.

I'm adding "The Evil Within" to my favorite games list: Resident Evil franchise (RE4 best, Op Raccoon City worst). GTA (All of them, been playing since GTA 1). Dues Ex: Human Revolution. Max Payne (All of them). Metro 2033 and Last Light were amazing. Silent Hill series (gameplay good, dialogue makes me want to go to sleep or hit myself just out of boredom). LA Noire. The last few Sherlock Holmes. SP: Stick of Truth. Sleeping Dogs. Call of Duty (I like them, but there's too much of them).

Never got into Wolfenstein, Rising Dead, Walking Dead, ____fill in the blank ____ Dead, Most recent disappointment was Watch Dogs which was a barf, it was so cheesy and repetitive, and had a bunch of unnecessary cursing just to create a MATURE GAME feel to it, because the story was far from realistic or mature, it was garbage, I quit 3rd of the way into it.

The Evil Within isn't a revolutionary game, but if you like my list of best games you will also like this one. My point is, despite all the reasons why people give this game a zero, at least it's better than 90% of all the other garbage that the gaming industry keeps pumping out.

The Evil Within doesn't have any wizards or trolls, it's not based in the 1600's, it's not in the future where you have fancy laser guns and you shoot at rocket ships. You can't jump 100 feet or walk up walls of a bulding. It's just a fun zombie 3rd person shooter survival/horror game which borrows from RE and Silent Hill, and has just the right amount of stealth vs. run and gun. I can't really ask for more.
  72. Oct 15, 2014
    One game i really looked forward to.
    but sadly it was a big let down.
    30 or 60fps doesnt matter, the story and gameplay is... well boring.
    its mediocre at best.. and sadly not worth the money.
    Survival horror without the horror, but just alot of "zombie" splatter
    I will say that the damage the monsters take is really cool

So sad to see this game fail
  73. Oct 16, 2014
    As other reviews are saying, the PC version is basically broken. 30fps cap, clunky controls (keys seem to "mimic" a badly ported analogue controller), non-rebindable keys, poor camera control, are the tip of the iceberg.

The ONLY way they'll stop churning out these intelligence insulting infantile rubbish ports is to stop buying them until they get their act together!
  74. Oct 16, 2014
    AWFUL il start with pros and cons
    Pro - I didnt pay for it ;)
    graphics arent bad not best ive seen but not worst eather CONS everything literally everything POOR and i mean POOR combat system HORRIBLE camrea you cant see anything more then 100 degrees its a console port so its massivly zoomed in therefore horrible combat / vision 30fps - BUT been told you can put to 60fps by
    AWFUL il start with pros and cons
    Pro - I didnt pay for it ;)
    graphics arent bad not best ive seen but not worst eather
    CONS
    everything literally everything
    POOR and i mean POOR combat system
    30fps - BUT been told you can put to 60fps by changing commands WTF why wasnt this already done ... just money rush for pc i notice
    MASSIVE con / black bars about 2 INCH top and Bottom of the screen - aspect ratio again they forgot to change this for pc the master race wtf why wouldnt they put pc first is behond me
    in summary
    expensive
    poor camrea angles make combat awkward
    poor AI very poor
    CRAP STEALTH they cant see you from one foot away
    boring story line - well there isnt even a story line screw reading all books in game to learn it
    look at the red reviews there all correct this is a crap game big let down love horror games this isnt one its predictable
  75. Oct 21, 2014
    0/0 for trying to sell a broken product. Game, port, graphics, FoV, FPS, you name it, is utter ****. Nothing else to say about this excuse for a game.
  76. Oct 16, 2014
    DO NOT BUY THE PC VERSION!!! Maybe the XBox version is good, I can't say. But the PC version is a perfect example of a lazy port. Controls are unresponsive, clunky, and completely drain any enjoyment you might get out of this. The devs should be ashamed!
  77. Oct 20, 2014
    The Black Bars Within ... someone tell me please what are those black bars?! Is this a cinematic movie or game?! Oh of course it's not the only reason why I gave this game 5 out of 10 but it's not ignorable, isn't it?! Environments are coll but I think that the game doesn't have enough scariness potential. I'm not accusing the game of not being scary because it's not that bad but it's notThe Black Bars Within ... someone tell me please what are those black bars?! Is this a cinematic movie or game?! Oh of course it's not the only reason why I gave this game 5 out of 10 but it's not ignorable, isn't it?! Environments are coll but I think that the game doesn't have enough scariness potential. I'm not accusing the game of not being scary because it's not that bad but it's not well crafted enough for a Shinji Mikami game. If anyone else was the director I would say that it's a quite terrific survival horror but for Mr. Mikami ... I dunno! Maybe people aren't scared easily these days. Expand
  78. Oct 22, 2014
    This game is ehhhhh.... Good concept and game play, but dear god what did you do to the PC version of this game!? Wide-screen view and locked frame rate! This game is 360 graphics by far and on steam it say the minimum requirements is an i7 processor? Get out of here with that crap, hopefully there is an HD update to fix this nonsense. Will play once that has been fixed and update my review.
  79. Oct 15, 2014
    Mediocre, horrific port. The fact this has been released on PS2 etc as well speaks for itself. Was built for the console market and they use 8gb RAM shared. Which is useless for most PC gamers that are operating with 8gb System RAM and 3-5gb VRAM. The engine should be directly capable, it appears it’s the designers that are not capable. Gameplay should be good considering the dev studiosMediocre, horrific port. The fact this has been released on PS2 etc as well speaks for itself. Was built for the console market and they use 8gb RAM shared. Which is useless for most PC gamers that are operating with 8gb System RAM and 3-5gb VRAM. The engine should be directly capable, it appears it’s the designers that are not capable. Gameplay should be good considering the dev studios leaders history, nowhere near a successor for RE/SH. You can unlock the FPS via the console. The black bars due to the native resolution at best add to the atmosphere of a B’Movie. It misses the tricks of the new adventure/mystery games (Vanishing of Ethan..) and the new horror games (Outlast, Alien, Amnesia) I would not pay full price for this title on PC. Expand
  80. Oct 18, 2014
    This game is painful to play.
    This game is painful to play.
    Graphically and technically its awful - not responsive controls, black bars on half of screen, floaty slow camera, lack of view around your character, its just bad and really feels that you cant play it on keyboard. If game developers think that good feature of survival horror is for example fact that you cant see **** around you and controls are bad- then i dont want to play survival games. Really devs try harder next time and adjust game to **** controller of platform (k+m) you want to release it on. Players should fight enemies, not frustrating controls and camera.
    Game is locked to 30fps. But even if i can turn 60 fps on my pc by using console commands (which should be in **** options from the beginning btw), even if i can change aspect ratio to remove black bars- it still doesnt change the fov, so my screen looks slightly better but is very limited in what i can see. I call it bull****, bad coding (or maybe they just dont give a ****) and really lame pc port. And for lame pc ports my score is 1/10.
    And for game itself, as for now its bloody as hell, but not so scary. Cliches everywhere. Few lame scare jumps here and there, few escapes for your life, few trial and error scenes that end in bloody death animations, but really nothing special. When will they learn that its not gore that scares people, its what they cant see. Amnesia its not. 5/10
    So the average of these two is 3 out of 10.
  81. Oct 14, 2014
    Game is ok. Nothing wrong with the story. Content overall is interesting. More survival horror with gore rather then any kind of all out scaring. Definitely feels like RE4.

But there is definitely some issues with performance and controls and graphics. Black bars and motion blur cause me to have headaches and dizziness within an hour of playing (which I haven't had in ages in a game). You can turn them off with the console but still doesn't change the fact that they thought it was a good idea. So much wasted space. Controls function badly with mouse and keyboard, works ok with controller though.
  82. Oct 15, 2014
    Love this game. Purchased on launch day for the PC and have not encountered any major glitches at all. Agreed - the roundabout way of overcoming the aspect ratio and the fps cap are awkward but have not given me any issues or technical glitches - its nice that the option has been considered for us PC gamers. Love the story line so far instant classic. Rig: Phenom 2 x6 1090t - SapphireLove this game. Purchased on launch day for the PC and have not encountered any major glitches at all. Agreed - the roundabout way of overcoming the aspect ratio and the fps cap are awkward but have not given me any issues or technical glitches - its nice that the option has been considered for us PC gamers. Love the story line so far instant classic. Rig: Phenom 2 x6 1090t - Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X - 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz. Expand
  83. Oct 19, 2014
    Yet another failure. The score DOES NOT REFLECT THE GAME ITSELF BUT THE QUALITY OF THE PORT AND TECHNICAL SIDE OF THE GAME. Again with the black bars. Wtf are these people thinking, half of my screen (AND I MEAN IT LITERALLY) is unused and it runs at 30fps. Sure you can unlock 60 fps and the bars can be fixed by a mod but its not supported. YET AGAIN THE MODDING COMMUNITY MUST STEP IN TOYet another failure. The score DOES NOT REFLECT THE GAME ITSELF BUT THE QUALITY OF THE PORT AND TECHNICAL SIDE OF THE GAME. Again with the black bars. Wtf are these people thinking, half of my screen (AND I MEAN IT LITERALLY) is unused and it runs at 30fps. Sure you can unlock 60 fps and the bars can be fixed by a mod but its not supported. YET AGAIN THE MODDING COMMUNITY MUST STEP IN TO FIX PROBLEMS THAT SHOULDN'T EXIST.They can claim it gives it "cinematic felling" all they want but this is a videogame not a f****** movie. I personally had it with this BS. I have recently decided that every game that runs at 30 fps, has black bars or pulls some s*** like that will be rated 0. Most of you may think its unreasonable but I don't really care at this point. I had it with pc gamers being treated like garbage. oh and some say it has issues with keybinds, well I use standard wasd assignment and rebinds and it works for now. ANYWAY DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. DO NOT SUPPORT THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR AND TREATMENT OF PC GAMERS Expand
  84. Oct 24, 2014
    30fps, a cheap console port. If you are going to take a console game, and say "lets just make it for the pc to sell it pretty much for free on our part" expect these reviews and no less.
  85. Oct 21, 2014
    It does deserve an eight and it is a game of your worst nightmares when it comes to the mechanics, but it is a game fo a dreams when it comes to your mind. This is a must for horror fan, i have a 11 year experience of hardcore gaming and science, this game combines WILL AND REASON. I love it,.
  86. Oct 16, 2014
    The Evil Within is a great example of what a Survival Horror game needs to be. It's Like a mixture of Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Siren, Easily some of the best horror games of the last decade. The Result is one of the most Terrifying Survival-Horror Experiences to date. Despite The Sometimes Laughable voice acting, Forgettable Characters, and rather emotionless Protagonist, SebastianThe Evil Within is a great example of what a Survival Horror game needs to be. It's Like a mixture of Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Siren, Easily some of the best horror games of the last decade. The Result is one of the most Terrifying Survival-Horror Experiences to date. Despite The Sometimes Laughable voice acting, Forgettable Characters, and rather emotionless Protagonist, Sebastian Castellanos. Survivor Horror is Back with The Evil Within. Expand
  87. Nov 23, 2014
    The fan boys defend shinigaminichi or whatever his name is but most of us credit him for ruining the RE franchise. Just get Alien Isolation instead, runs great, is scary has challenge and looks amazing compared to TEW's playstation 2 gfx with a PS3 character model.
    Dev's unlocked 60 fps, unfortunately the "fix" for the FOV is basically no better than the console command(it probably is the command hard coded). They blew it on the FOV if you love nausea and headaches get TEW! If you love having you character take up 47 percent of the screen space go for it. ALSO not SCARY!!
  88. Oct 18, 2014
    Too linear. If i wanted a movie, i'd go watch netflix. The game will also lag on PC. Ill admit though, I didnt play it though. However, thats for a reason.
  89. Oct 16, 2014
    I am reading a host of silly reviews.... Frame rate locked, cannot change the key binding poor ect ect...

These fixes were released with the game, easily rectified and I am playing minus cinema boxes and at 60fps. This is future gaming guys, no long should be have the attitude that PC gaming must be played on a mouse and keyboard, some games are simply not built for mouse and keyboard, I believe this is one of them. Grab yourself a game pad and play it as it is meant to be played.

Great game, tense atmosphere, good mechanic. Battle is a bit fiddly at times and camera can become a tad frustrating, however the camera makes a dynamic feel and I think if I was shooting at barbed wire clad, flesh eating enemies I would probably have a tough time holding a gun steady. As you progress and upgrade the battle mechanics become far better.
  90. Oct 15, 2014
    Very impressed with this game so far. Very throwback to the golden years of survival horror (resi 1, silent hill 1/2, Dino Crisis 1). With a Great mix of sneaking and combat, there is a limited amount of supplies that i love in games as i like rationing my ammo in games.

The Graphics are fine to me and run mostly at the designed 30fps and have no issues with this and i feel the black borders and 2.35:1 aspect ratio is a bold and daring way to go. But i think it pays off in the overall feel of the game.

The atmosphere is great and the enemies are also very well done along with there AI. I would say this game broke my expectations as a survival horror work of art. Difficulty is as to be expected but its not frustratingly difficult and havent been stuck for too long at any part in the game.

Got to give this game a solid 10 as i love the classic survival feel and havent played a game quite as good since Code Veronica back on the Dreamcast.
  91. Oct 14, 2014
    For starters, people who are complaining about the lock at 30 fps are lazy sobs. First off, you can do a console command to change the fps limiter (best set to unlimited on my PC setup). Second, keep the aspect ratio of the game at default, that is the way it was meant to be played, why not enjoy the correct way! Now some people will say Bethesda said it was meant to be played at 30 fps,For starters, people who are complaining about the lock at 30 fps are lazy sobs. First off, you can do a console command to change the fps limiter (best set to unlimited on my PC setup). Second, keep the aspect ratio of the game at default, that is the way it was meant to be played, why not enjoy the correct way! Now some people will say Bethesda said it was meant to be played at 30 fps, but that is **** they just say that so the consoles can run the game.

Besides all that bickering! The game, (which I have not beaten yet) so far is what you would expect from an action horror game. This game is hard, sets an atmosphere, art style is gloomy, dark and uses light correctly You don't get a lot of ammo, so you must conserve to survive. AND the cutscenes are in engine! Not like those crappy games where the cutscenes drop down to 30fps or just straight CG scenes.

Well, I know I am not a writer, but I hope this review helps some people buy this game. I am having a great time playing the game, after I figured out how to ditch the 30fps cap (which was easy to do). Hope you all love and play this with me!
  92. Oct 19, 2014
    To be clear this game is awesome, but I will be repurchasing this on PS4 and looking to get refund for my PC copy if an upcoming patch does not fix the constant crashing issues on my computer. I don't have any other game that crashes my computer the way this one does. I even tried reinstalling STEAM, nothing works. I have a 4770K, GTX 770 with 4GB, an SSD and 16 GB of system RAM! ItTo be clear this game is awesome, but I will be repurchasing this on PS4 and looking to get refund for my PC copy if an upcoming patch does not fix the constant crashing issues on my computer. I don't have any other game that crashes my computer the way this one does. I even tried reinstalling STEAM, nothing works. I have a 4770K, GTX 770 with 4GB, an SSD and 16 GB of system RAM! It should certainly be enough to run this without problems.

It used to crash about once per chapter, but now I am on chapter 6 (or 7, I forget), it crashes every 5 minutes and I cannot even complete a section.

The gameplay is awesome, the atmosphere is great, the graphics aren't great, but the effects are okay and Shinji did a good job retaining the awesome elements from RE4 and adding to the forumla. If only I could play the game reliably I would rate it a 9.
  93. Oct 21, 2014
    60€, 30fps base (you can unlock it but newbies don't know how), not good gameplay, so, why the hell does this game cost 60€? Are we crazy? This should cost 15€.
  94. Oct 27, 2014
    The Evil Within is not a terrible game, just a game constantly hampered by its own inability to flow and horror needs to flow in order to maintain its own pace because much like comedy, good horror is all about timing. Unfortunately, the Evil Within delivers its mail far too late. And then forces you to hang out inside the mail box with a boring cop.
  95. Oct 17, 2014
    The game itself is quite good, mechanics work fine and I have no problem with the controls (I use an xbox controller). Not the most original survival horror, a lot is borrowed from resident evil and other games but fun enough to enjoy until the end. I would have given it a higher score if it had been ported better though. I don't have the most powerful rig but I played alien isolation withThe game itself is quite good, mechanics work fine and I have no problem with the controls (I use an xbox controller). Not the most original survival horror, a lot is borrowed from resident evil and other games but fun enough to enjoy until the end. I would have given it a higher score if it had been ported better though. I don't have the most powerful rig but I played alien isolation with a decent fps on mid-low settings. This game is far more demanding because it has few graphics settings i can lower and even on 720p it gets choppy. Since I am well within the minimum specs required I expected not to have this kind of problem. Seems to be a case of bad porting to me. Expand
  96. Oct 18, 2014
    For anyone who doesn't want to read all of my review the game is buggy as hell(on the pc release at least) and the enemies are just terrible in all honesty dumber and glitchier than anything i've seen i quite some time. (note: i'm also a fan of Shinji mikami's other games but this is a load of trash for the price you'd be paying)

The game is a disappointment it really is...... I've been

The game is a disappointment it really is...... I've been looking forward too this game since it was first announced however after playing the game doesn't seem finished it seems like it was shipped early about 85% complete : The game play would be fun if it wasn't so buggy the biggest problem i'm having is the frame rate is absolute murder it constantly goes up and down on a ridiculous level to the point where sometimes it becomes completely unplayable. The enemy ai behaves really badly. Some situations where it should be nerve racking terrifying and difficult are in fact laughably easy due to the enemy a.i. behaving such as running into walls i have only gotten to chapter five but the last boss Laura i think her name was behaved so stupidly that i could literally walk around at ease without any threat whatsoever.
    The voice acting is bad and when i say bad where i think they just used where the voice actors read the script in completely neutral and decided to use them like that i honestly didn't believe until i played and tried it i literally laughed because it was so out of place in the environment. The graphics are fine they don't have any problem for me the story seemed like it would be decent too if i could actually play the game and get to it i'm at the point where i thought it seemed like such a complete and total waste of my time i'm extremely unhappy with the product. Maybe get the game in awhile when its much cheaper but as it stands now do not get this game for its price it seems like it would be a great game if nor for the performance issues and bad a.i.
  97. Jan 24, 2015
    Piss poor attempt at horror, cliched, over produced, too much unskippable dialog and forced pacing.

Buy Outlast instead if you want a proper horror game.
  98. Dec 29, 2014
    It's been a couple of months since the game came out, and I only just got it on a Steam sale. Apparently, many of the things that people complain about here have been changed/fixed.

Graphics: Moody but mediocre, the game definitely looks several years old. Music/sound: Functional. Controls: Use a pad. Seriously. If you don't own a pad, I suggest you stay away from the game. With a

Graphics: Moody but mediocre, the game definitely looks several years old.
    Music/sound: Functional.
    Controls: Use a pad. Seriously. If you don't own a pad, I suggest you stay away from the game. With a pad, it's fine.
    Performance: Runs at solid 60 maxed on my PC (4790k, 16g ram, 780 Ti). The only complaint I have is that there is a bit of a lack of customization, you can't fine tune the detail level as deeply as one would expect.
    Gameplay: Plays a bit like Resident Evil 4 for 80% of its duration, and a bit like Resident Evil 5 in the last 20%.

Generally, I don't consider it scary at all (it lacks the proper pacing and finesse of true horror games), but it's atmospheric, graphic and often disturbing. I don't regret paying 20 bucks for this, I had a reasonable amount of fun and did play it to completion.
  99. Nov 5, 2014
    the game does nothing very good and it sure wont give you something innovative and new but what it does it does pretty good, the atmosphere is well done creepy dark forests and villages are well done... yes yes it could have been more but i take this over any of the recent Resident Evil titles any day...
  100. Nov 2, 2014
    After being disappointed by several releases this year I purchased this game with some reservation, having spent some time playing the game and taking the time to learn how it operates however I was pleasantly surprised. I find it to be an enjoyable experience with some shortcomings unlike many recent releases however the positives seem to outweigh the negatives.

What the game does

What the game does well is convey a sense of urgency in an environment where you absolutely must take your time, which successfully gives the impression of tension and adds to the atmosphere. Anyone failing to take their time with this will be brutally slaughtered, full stop. Enemy kills are visually impressive and gory and often leave you feeling humiliated. The tension is topped off by a morbid brooding atmosphere and you spend a lot of time as a prisoner of your own paranoia, peeking around corners, watching your back. and all with good reason.

No major scares with this one but there are surprises and they provide a few WTF moments. Sophisticated traps which you can use against enemies, grenades, even matches can become weapons and a crossbow with an assortment of bolts, each with it's own purpose and the ability to craft them as you please. Combine these weapons with an excellent and versatile levelling system that encourages you to keep looking for ways to further upgrade your character and what you have is an impressive set up.

Unfortunately this game can be very frustrating especially if you've been getting hacked to death in the same place for half an hour. The camera angles may have you squinting at some points and unless you have a desire to go blind, I'd recommend ignoring the instructions given to you about brightness levels and just turn it UP.

The games clunky mechanics need to be mastered and you don't actually realise how open the environments are sometimes and there's a lot to be missed.

The graphics are great and the enemies are well designed and intelligent, the gameplay successfully merges with the atmosphere and giving zombies weapons makes for an interesting change. But you may find it's all just too much to handle, it's frustrating, it's time consuming and it's difficult to progress through but rewarding when you do. If you're into survival horror you will like this but it isn't exactly for everyone.

1. Jan 9, 2015
    It seems the developers were not entirely sure what they wanted to achieve and got caught between traditional and innovative approach, properly employing neither. [13/2014, p.56]
  2. Nov 30, 2014
    Borrowing heavily from past survival horror games, The Evil Within still manages to create fear in its players despite some clunkiness. [Dec 2014, p.58]
  3. Nov 15, 2014
    As the Japanese survival horror genre goes, The Evil Within feels a bit old fashion but in a good way. It certainly has the potential of becoming a cult classic. [Nov 2014]