The Guild 2 PC

Oct 9, 2006
    Absolutely awesome and engrossing! A+
  2. egn
    Feb 20, 2014
    This is a great game, overall. It is also a highly ambitious title that is and was, sadly, plagued by large amounts of bugs right from the get-go. The bugs really really held the game back. But at the same time, there's a game there that wants to be loved. In its present state, as can be purchased on Steam, the game is well worth grabbing a copy of!
  3. May 17, 2011
    Extremely deep and intricate gameplay so probably not for the xbox crowd that may have an old pc tucked away. My friends 14 year old son hates it. But his father (my friend) and I, both keen gamers for many years and we love it. Its deep and you have total freedom to do as you would. Dont expect it to be easy or in anyway for lightweight. Its deep, you have to concerntrate (dont botherExtremely deep and intricate gameplay so probably not for the xbox crowd that may have an old pc tucked away. My friends 14 year old son hates it. But his father (my friend) and I, both keen gamers for many years and we love it. Its deep and you have total freedom to do as you would. Dont expect it to be easy or in anyway for lightweight. Its deep, you have to concerntrate (dont bother getting this if you have ADHD) and its doesnt have car chases or explosions. If you like games which actually reward you for playing strategically yet still ooze atmosphere and some graphical charm its still a good game. Expand
  4. Jul 21, 2014
    Yes, it's a bit buggy. Yes, the animations are awful. Yes, the character models all looks pretty similar. But underneath all of that, there's an amazing game. It reminds me of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in that it's a great game, unlike anything else, with a couple of flaws. I installed it on a whim after finding it in my Steam library, and was immediately sucked in. I played for about 9 hours in aYes, it's a bit buggy. Yes, the animations are awful. Yes, the character models all looks pretty similar. But underneath all of that, there's an amazing game. It reminds me of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in that it's a great game, unlike anything else, with a couple of flaws. I installed it on a whim after finding it in my Steam library, and was immediately sucked in. I played for about 9 hours in a row. You can do almost anything you like. For example, want to expand your business to another town, but your carts keep getting attacked by bandits on the way? Attack the bandit camp with your mercenaries, or pay to have your carts escorted, or just buy the camp itself, then use those same bandits to attack competitors carts. It's a very deep game that, once you get into it, will make you realize what kind of person you would be if you had power. Will you be a benevolent leader of a city, or a bandit king controlling the local town through terror?

In summary, it has its bugs, though it never crashed for me, but it's incredibly addicting.
  5. CarlosR.
    Oct 18, 2006
    An outstanding concept that can only get better when the bug squashing is finished. Right now be ready for some SHOW STOPING bugs.
  6. Kyrandos
    Oct 24, 2006
    Absolute agreement with "I would have been happy with less graphics and better gameplay. " The graphics are totally secondary to gameplay in a game like this, and bloated GFX that would look decent - below average in a FPS is simply overboard for this kind of game. Plus, the bugs effectively make it completely unplayable. I wish I could give it a higher score.
  7. Mar 25, 2011
    once you get over the bugs/glitches, language problems, corny npc romancing discussion this games would be one of the most unique, interesting and engrossing games ive played. As the player you start a family with 1 member, choosing a career path and depending on that you choose how you want set up businesses, who to employ etc, there is also politics to get into and rival 'dynasties' thatonce you get over the bugs/glitches, language problems, corny npc romancing discussion this games would be one of the most unique, interesting and engrossing games ive played. As the player you start a family with 1 member, choosing a career path and depending on that you choose how you want set up businesses, who to employ etc, there is also politics to get into and rival 'dynasties' that need to be taken care of. There is an element of charm all over it and nothing beats in the game bribing political supporters or jurys for a court trial to gain leverage, or perhaps leading an assassination against a rival dynasty member.

I give it a 7/10 based on all factors of the game, but if i were to rate the gameplay ideas and the world environment, it would easily be a 10
  8. RobE.
    Oct 5, 2006
    Not nearly as endearing as Europa 1400:The Guild. Significantly less classes to play as, a steep learning curve, annoying time compression. I would have been happy with less graphics and better gameplay. But still, a unique game with a unique style. And all the people look ugly! maybe that was the 1400's.
  9. Aug 21, 2014
    An interesting and unique RPG/RTS where it's fun is only paralelled by it's failures.

First of all, the game runs horribly on almost any machine. Not optimized at all. The concepts behind the game are great, but little can be said about the execution. Disregarding the terrible performance issues, characters actions are very clunky and rough. It's missing many mechanics that are

Disregarding the terrible performance issues, characters actions are very clunky and rough. It's missing many mechanics that are needed to conform to it's structure, particularly RPG elements, in that respect it feels unfinished.

The game is very suggestive about the type of game it wants to be, but has no content to back it up, which could leave you being frustrated with it.

The already implimented mechanics behave randomly and you will be getting into trouble for no apparent reason. My main character was tending to his Farms when theives attacked, I retaliated and defended my property for which I was repremanded and taken to court for defending myself and my possessions.

The only form of policing is some gaurds that do not bother with such issues, so without any security you must defend yourself and you will be punished for that. In fact the law system is so backwards that you will most likely spend half of the game in court or in jail, even if you are a model citizen, which just breaks the game in its entirety.

Some fun to be had, but don't expect it to last long.

10. JohnnyD.
    Dec 4, 2006
    Are you kidding? I love detailed game play, but please: Drawn out compliments & kisses to get the girl to fall for you? Lengthy, boring council meetings? And endless cart trips to the market for wood & iron? Sorry - This was a good idea gone terribly wrong.
  11. MeestykL.
    May 28, 2008
    3 for dragging me into this horrible game! OMG the lag for a single player mode! The creatures in this game give me goosebumps when they utter "Marry me!" And the endless overantings of the NPC put me to sleep with my mouth open. Whoever created this monster truly succeeded in making the ultimate sleeping machine. Please, save me!

While fans of the original and people who are intrigued by the ins-and-outs of rising in a social ladder will enjoy the game, there isn’t enough to grab newcomer’s attention, and everything does become quite overwhelming at times.
  2. It looks fairly dated, and is only really for the devotee of life-sim games, feeling as it does like a semi-precious curiosity. [Dec 2006, p.68]
  3. The Guild 2 is an open-ended game that has a great concept and carries it almost to full fruition. Unfortunately, some frustrating bugs mar the package.