8.3

1. May 23, 2013
    This game is absolutely golden; despite several poor voice actors (I'm looking at you, Mayor) and awkward typos, the experience is refreshing, unique, and extremely addicting. I've never been more surprised by a game- for $13, I didn't expect an experience rivaling (and surpassing!) top-dollar ARPG's.

Van Helsing is my new hobby, and fixation- I highly advise letting it become yours.
  2. May 22, 2013
    Really enjoyable hack'n'slash with fun world and interesting main characters and their chemistry.
    Price is nice, music is acceptable but a little too short. Graphics are very nice. Skills, attributes and overall character development is great.

Overall, good game for that price.
  3. May 24, 2013
    You can't have better hack'n'slash rpg for so low price. Design, music, sounds, scenery, rpg-system match highest standarts. Also u have great companion (not as great as Elizabeth, though) with hilarious sense of humor.
  4. May 23, 2013
    One of the best Hack' n' Slash game i ever played, the graphics is really awesome, the game is beautiful, the gameplay, history, all!
    I really recommend this game for fan's of Diablo, brings what they missed on D3!
  5. May 23, 2013
    Tons of people praising the game already. I've played all the arpgs worth playing and this game is highly recommended. Any fans of d2,d3,tl1/2, titans quest, and any other such games will be happy with the purchase.
  6. May 23, 2013
    Only played Act 1 so far but in my opinion best current Hack'n'Slash.

Graphic style represents every cliché about a land of werwolves and vampires, the graphic itself is detailed and nice to look at. Despite trees, bushes, hills and hordes of monsters it always seems clean enough to keep an overview.
    The sound is nice, music fits but is nothing that stands out, the voices on the other
    hand are brilliant.

The gameplay is really enjoyable, attacks feel meaty and heavy and seeing packs of monsters explode into fine bloody mist is extremely satisfying. The mix of chaos and overview is well balanced.
    Though the character progression seems quite limited at first, a rather intricate skilltree design and the addition of a leveling companion add enough deep to support several different playstyles and definetly promote replayability.

Last but not least the game is filled with hidden humor and nice banter with your companion.
    I liked this much better than Torchlight 2 or Diablo 3.
    I would say at that price, it's a must-buy for everyone interested in Hack'n'Slash.
  7. May 23, 2013
    I'm EXTREMELY Impressed. Bravo Neocore!!! Take a bow you deserve it.

Why do I say that?

#1 Unique character development: The powerup options are definitely a different take on skills from any Arpg's I've played. At first I thought "WTH there's only 20ish skills some 'tricks'?". As I leveled I realized that the use of skill, skills+powerups, tricks and weapon swap(i.e. different
    skill sets) gave a near perfect level of depth as well as actual of skills.

#2 Likeable (main) characters The dynamics between Katarina and Van Helsing is nice to say the least. I truly felt like I was listening in on two old friends or siblings that were giving each other a little grief. Which makes for a comfortable enjoyable background to fill in the VERY rare luls between packs.

#3 Very solid graphics I have a fairly nice machine and a 2550x1440 dell monitor and am fairly impressed with how well everything looks. It looks good at any of the higher resolution/settings but scaled up nicely when I put my hardware to the test.

#4 Good variety of monsters
  8. May 25, 2013
    This game was a big shock to me to be honest, and is my surprise package of the year. Solid mechanics, great looting system, interesting skill system that makes for addicting game-play and intense fights. Camera is a bit iffy at times, unable to see enemies from afar when travelling down, apart from that though all round solid game. Must buy for hack and slash fans, and a game consider for others. The difficulty is also well optimised, not too hard but not too easy either, with four difficulties to boot plus hardcore which means game-over once you die for the hardcore gamers! Expand
  9. May 24, 2013
    I really didn't see this coming. A game comparable in quality to Titan quest? Diablo series? Path of Exile? What a surprise! If you like any of the previous loot'em'ups I just mentioned, then this is a no brainer. Just buy it. I am in love, which happens so rarely these days. Great action, awesome loot, lots of customization (skills, stats, perks, tricks, auras, your sidekick that you can level up, equip, etc). I especially love the rage system. And the music! So good and original! Mad props to the devs, looking forward to their next efforts! Expand
  10. May 25, 2013
    What a surprisingly awesome game! Wasn't expecting much from it's lackluster title, however seconds into the game I learned that not a single dollar was wasted (speaking of price, I can't believe we are getting such a great looking game for so cheap).
    I've been switching between this and Marvel Heroes, and while they are different games, I'm just glad there is constantly something
    satisfying my Action-RPG fix that was left in shambles after a somewhat disappointing Diablo 3. Expand
  11. May 25, 2013
    Everything I thought it would be! A great emersive ARPG. Exciting skills, perks ect! I love katarina, she is a great help on your adventure. There are some many cool things to do like enchant your items, forge new items, socket your items, buy new auras! So much about this game is great! With some re-play ability this game would be heavenly, maybe we'll see it in the future. Small bugs but nothing bad enough to even take a point. 10/10 Expand
  12. May 23, 2013
    Great game very surprised to be honest didnt think it would be this good defintaly worth more than what they are asking for, this is as good as Diablo3 appart from the combat that is....... they definatly have a great game here.... lets hope they make a full game in the near future.
  13. May 22, 2013
    Very enjoyable and unquestionably worth the price. It has a lot more depth than I expected.
    Hope it gets more exposure; it definitely deserves it.
  14. May 25, 2013
    I'm very impressed with this Diablo style action RPG. I jumped right in and played for hours. I was a little worried when I started the game and only had the choice of one character class, but once I started experimenting with the skill tree, I realized that Van Helsing can be a variety of character types such as a caster, ranged DPS, melee defensive/offense, etc. The ranged/melee swap feature adds a level of depth that can lead to some exciting builds. The environment and artistic nature of the game gives it a darker feel that I enjoy. Congratulations Neocore, I'll be keeping an eye on your future releases from now on! I can't think of a better way I could have spent my $14. Expand
  15. May 23, 2013
    One word: Amazing. I literally made an account just to add my thumbs up for this game. I was pleasantly surprised by satirical (sometimes dark) humour, gorgeous graphics, various detailed environments, playful banter between you and your, errr... companion. Seriously, slick game-play mechanics, a splendid UI and little to no bugs is like a deep breathe of fresh air. I just finished the first "act" and I can't wait to play more. Do yourself a favour, pick this gem up. For 13 bucks, you will definitely get way more than you bargained for. Expand
  16. May 23, 2013
    Well Done Neocore! Their Arthur Games had great ideas and great art, but failed in terms of strategic (and tactical) gameplay. This game successfully mimics the ARPG style of Diabolo and Torchlight in grand style. The UI and skill trees are great. Graphics are beautiful. IT WORKS! Pricing the game at $15 was also inspired, not because it is cheap, but because it reflects a realistic entry point for impuse buying. So many 'full-price' games disappoint. $15 encourages a gamble with an unknown IP. No doubt millions will try it and LIKE what they see. Hope Neocore makes big money with this as a reward for their hard efforts and great work on this title. Thanks for the game. Expand
  17. May 24, 2013
    I have been playing for 5 hours straight and am loving the leveling system very addictive! Also has surprisingly deep game play. The graphics are quite good, but I am having some odd performance issues with 2x GTX 670 at 2560x1600 in SLI and not in SLI. I have no idea why. Also the voice acting is pretty bad. Even so, these issues are easily forgivable with the price tag. I highly suggest buying this game if you enjoy ARPGs. I would give the game an 8 if it were more expensive, but it easily takes home a 9 with the value. Expand
  18. May 25, 2013
    @Klausreiner: This a review of the game just released, not the movie, might want to do something with that rating as it affects the overall rating.

I'm not sure that the movie was really what the devs. were thinking would draw many players, it was pretty bad, IMO as well and even the reviews here are pathetic. You would think that they may have had other interests in mind than
    lamenting over the film when they chose to use the name or maybe not... The reviews here are at: http://www.metacritic.com/movie/van-helsing for those interested.

Also, with regards to the skill and character traits available to customize. I have found that with the 8 or so hours I have in the game, you can't (at least at my point) just level up all the skills and get the +50% in all aspects, there are too many. This is what makes it so interesting to me. You have to focus on a balanced set and work with them in order to truly level up and expect any useful skills. While I do like to explore, I am now 8 hours into the game and I haven't seem but a couple of the maps shown on some other video reviews. I expect those that found the game to be short might prefer the running and gunning to the quest point and getting it done as fast as possible. Not me, I try to find all the hidden treasure there is to be had as well as the collectibles and achievements, so what may take them an hour could take me up to 3.

The acting is great, IMO. It's hilarious at points. Just in the first town and subsequent quest(s) there are some great characters to meet. The two headed cow and just around the corner, the drunk babbling (were they clues or nonsense, not sure yet), the alchemist who was cursed and can't speak anything but gibberish (part of a quest) are just a few right from the get go that I though were very clever and funny.
  19. May 25, 2013
    Hack n slash in its purest form. Lots of character development for you and your companion. Lots of options on playstyle magic/melee/ranged etc etc. It's pretty linear and basic but its a lot of fun.

Highly recommended especially at the budget price.
  20. May 23, 2013
    This game is absolutely fantastic and a must buy for fans of the ARPG genre. It takes a familiar formula, and mixes it up nicely with in-depth character customization, likable cast, and an interesting world/setting. I personally couldn't get into D3, TL2 or PoE, but this game instantly had me hooked, and is probably the first ARPG thats really kept me playing since D2. Great work all around!
  21. May 25, 2013
    One of a 2-3 games I can give full 10/10 to. The Incredible of Van Helsing has: nice setting (different from being just another fantasy set in nowhere), nice SFX, great voiceover, astonishing visuals and graphics, a lot of sarcasm, very few dungeons (going for open locations instead), curious differences from more traditional ARPGs (such as no monster respawn and consequently, lack of farming)

It has its share of minor bugs, but dev team appear to be actively collection feeddback and reports, so I suppose the game will be perfected soon enough
  22. May 23, 2013
    Definitely a Diablo clone, but a good one at that. The detail to the game mechanics is what really astounded me. How they handled all the skills and skill types (skills/modifiers/tricks/auras) was really impressive. And the amount of control you have with your companion is the best I've ever seen. It is definitely worth the $15 price tag on steam. If your a fan of the Diablo-esque play style then I definitely recommend getting this. Expand
  23. May 23, 2013
    Just got the game yesterday and played it 14 hours str8. Overall the game is solid. Game play is refreshing and doesn't become a repeat hack and slash. Some of the monsters tend to get hard and I even died a few times thinking it would be easy. Graphics, story, and main characters all fit well. For the price I would say that this game is worth the buy and play. Love it...hope more comes with this game. Expand
  24. May 23, 2013
    Awesome game. It's like a mix of Diablo 3, Dungeon Siege and Fallout 3 (perk system). You will however mash your mouse to death but it is a hack 'n' slash after all.

Would still be great value at double the price, definitely worth buying.
  25. DMV
    May 25, 2013
    I cannot recommend this game enough to any fans of the hack and slash genre. It is absolutely solid in every aspect of it's delivery, the dialog is fairly witty and rarely annoying, the combat has a substantial amount of depth for customization and the overall atmosphere is wonderful. I should also mention that this is an older styled ARPG in that there are a significant amount of secrets hidden within it, if you pay attention to your environment, and talk to npcs you would otherwise ignore.

Few things though: There is no new game+, and there are a few issues with multiplayer(two patches have landed within the last 2 days, and both seemed to have fixed it for the most part. Rest assured, they're taking care of any bugs, though I ran into little to none.
    The new game+ was mentioned by devs as something they're looking into as they add DLC(free) in the future.
  26. May 26, 2013
    Arpg+ hack and slash, skill tree for both you and your companion attributes ,enchanting crafting, socketing, reputation and combat system that's both fluid and enjoyable i just loved this game and can't wait for a sequel
  27. May 25, 2013
    Sorti de nulle part, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing fait son apparition sur steam. Cet excellent hack & slash "old school" façon Diablo 2 prend tout le monde par surprise. Et tout ça pour moins de 14€.

Dans ce jeu nous incarnons le fils du célèbre chasseur de monstres, Van Helsing.

Le visuel est globalement plaisant et l'ambiance "Van Helsing" est bien présente au travers
    du bestiaire classique au départ puis plus steam punk par la suite. Les effets sonores sont correctes et les musiques collent parfaitement l'action et au stéréotype "Europe de l'Est med-fan". Les voix sont en Anglais mais le jeu propose des sous-titres FR. De plus, le jeu se paye de luxe d'avoir d'excellentes répliques, drôles ou sarcastiques, entre le héros et le fantôme de dame Katarina qui nous sert de partenaire tout au long du jeu. Sans oublier les nombreuses références d'autres jeux ou films. L'action est bien présente et on enchaîne les packs de monstres avec plaisir. La difficulté quant elle grimpe passées les 1ères heures de jeu.

Au niveau des mécaniques de jeu, on retrouve pas mal d'éléments classiques des H&S et d'autres instaurés par D2. A chaque level, on distribue des points dans nos stats et compétences. En plus de cela, il est possible d'obtenir des "perks" via les points de réputation obtenus en tuant des monstres "non normaux". Le jeu propose une table de compétences pour le corps corps, les armes feu ainsi que les buffs et auras. Le personnage dispose tout moment de la possibilité de switcher entre son arme de corps corps et son arme feu. Un système dit de "combo" est aussi présent. Il s'agit en fait plus d'un système permettant de booster l'effet de sa prochaine attaque en fonction de 3 critères différents pour chaque compétence. Ce système est alimenté par la rage obtenue en tuant ses ennemis. Le jeu dispose aussi d'un système comparable celui des gemmes sertir dans son équipement. Sauf qu'ici il s'agit d'essence. Ces dernières sont améliorables et aussi mélangeables afin d’obtenir de nouveaux effets. Il est aussi possible de créer son équipement la façon du célèbre cube Horadrim de D2 mais cette fois ci en passant par un PNJ. A noter que notre compagnon, la très morte dame Katarina, dispose elle aussi de stats et de compétences monter ainsi que d'une feuille d'équipement.

Les 2 seuls points faibles que l'on pourrait éventuellement trouver ce titre résident dans sa re-jouabilité et dans son relatif manque de variété au niveau des régions traversées. Ainsi, une fois le mode solo "offline" terminé, il n'y a pas de "new game plus" ou de possibilité de recommencer l'aventure. La seule solution est alors de passer par le mode "online". A noter que le mode "online" est actuellement assez instable mais que des patchs sont en route pour corriger le problème. Et pour ce qui est de la région visitée, elle se résume au final en 2 lieux principaux avec leurs quartiers alentours.

Le jeu devrait vous tenir une bonne 15-20aine d'heures avant que vous n'en arriviez bout. Ce qui est somme toute plutôt honnête pour le prix et sachant que le mode "online" permettra ceux qui souhaiteront continuer leur recherche de l'item ultime d'y passer encore d'avantage de temps. De plus, il semblerait que le jeu prenne la forme d'un jeu épisodique façon "The Walking Dead". Bref, affaire suivre certainement en fonction des ventes du titre qui, je l'espère, rencontrera le succès car cette mise en bouche ouvre de belle manière l'appétit.

En conclusion, moins de 14€, ce serait vraiment dommage que de ne pas encourager le surprenant travail réalisé par les développeurs sur ce jeu. Le résultat est étonnamment bon et ravira n'en point douter les fans de hack & slash "old school" ainsi que les fans de l'univers Van Helsing.
  28. May 29, 2013
    This game is amazing, i read that people are saying it doesn't have shadows. They should be on by default but you can switch them on in advanced graphics settings. It looks quite good.

For the money this is easily a 10 out of 10. Haven't had this much fun in a game since I finished Tombraider and this is much easier to get into.

I was never all that pleased with Diablo 3 and this is
    far better and more varied to play. Sure some of the voice a cting is a bit crook but some of it is good too.

It is just fun working out the best way to take down enemies and everything is just so super smooth at 60 fps or above.

I really hope they do add on packs to this game as i would buy them.
  29. May 26, 2013
    Amazing ARPG!! Totally did not expect this one. So many things work great in this game, though there are a couple small flaws. If you enjoyed Torchlight 1/2 or Titan Quest, this is a well-worth purchase!

The characters, Van Helsing and Lady Katarina (a ghost!), work great together. It helps that the voice acting is incredibly well-done, something which seems rather rare for
    indie/lower-budget games. NPC's are all voiced, which is pretty nice, but there are a few exceptions (but it adds to the humor!). Your companion can be a bit of a smartass, which works well in the dark fantasy/mechanical (ish?) setting. There's tons of wit in pretty much every part of the game and are also a number of references, as well.

Gameplay is solid, though the pathing and movement can be a -little- off. You will find that your deaths come from being surrounded quite often. It isn't quite as smooth as Diablo III, but the enemies are, in general, better designed. There are a lot of "dodgeable" things, which is ideal in an ARPG instead of everything just auto-hitting you. You have both a sword and a gun to equip, along with all of the other usual pieces of gear. You can also equip your lovely companion with some other gear and she has many options for combat and loot. She can be set to ranged, melee, or passive (if you keep her passive, you get 10% all defense). Also, you can set her to pick up any rarity of items and any item that sells for less than whatever amount of gold. Of course, she has an inventory as well and can be sent back to do your shopping/selling/whatever. Lastly, mobs don't seem to respawn in single-player... which is a little odd. It may get fixed, who knows.

The other lacking trait of the game would probably be the number of skills. There are two main trees, melee and ranged, and two smaller trees. The smaller trees contain passives skills and misc. active skills of which you can only have two of each active at one time. It would be nice if there were more trees or just more skills for the two trees. The skills don't have a huge amount of creativity to them, but for the most part, are balanced. There are a couple "weak" skills, but nothing too bad.

But, don't let those small flaws stop you!!!!!!! There are tons of "hidden" items and bonus content. Quite a few easter eggs. It's incredibly well-done in this regard, and trumps any other ARPG. If you love finding hidden stuff, this is a perfect game for you! (Pay attention to every detail!) I felt like I was playing a Monkey Island ARPG, almost.

The music is good and fitting with the theme, but it sounds a little bit repetitive. Still not bad though. After a while, you may choose to turn on your own tunes, though.

Definitely another great game for 2013. A hidden gem, looking at how few main critic reviews there are so far! It's an incredible adventure well worth the $15. Certainly a better investment than Diablo III !
    Total bargain!

Summary:
    Gameplay: 8.8
    Graphics: 9.0
    Music: 7.5
    Humor: 9.5
    Easter Eggs: 10.0
    Skills/Depth: 8.0
    Overall Value (quality per cost?): 9.5
  30. X0R
    May 26, 2013
    What an awesome hidden gem IMHO this is a perfect game, cheap, actually fun for as much as, or even less, than what I've paid just for DLC on other games. For me, this is what I hoped for from Diablo3, which was overpriced and flooded with bugs and ultimately disappointing to me. The graphics & sound are fine, the gameplay is addictive. I can't wait for updates and future content from Neocore Games! Collapse
  31. May 29, 2013
    I am really enjoying this game. You can tell a lot of effort was put into this to make it a game people would want to play...and best of all, no auction house! Action RPGs take a lot of time to program and perfect and they are quickly taking the time to iron out some small bugs and perfect the online multiplayer (which has been broken by lag for people who join games). They are releasing patches on a daily basis...which is impressive to me. The game is fun and the developers care. That means a lot. Expand
  32. May 28, 2013
    Don't be put off by the bad reviews, i swear you will enjoy this game. I bought it hesitating but i am glad i did. Pretty damn hard but it is really fun!
  33. May 25, 2013
    I was waiting for this game, and it surpassed all my expectations! The music, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the feel of game, it just have all of it.
    Indie developers putting so much effort into their games compared to big companies nowadays, this is why i love indie games and this one is gonna be my personal favourite! 10/10!
  34. May 26, 2013
    This is one of the best action RPG indie game of this year. I've just finished the whole game it is freaking awesome, as I've just said one of the best action RPG game of this year but I would expected more than this game, It's obvious that the developers had received influence from Diablo II, the setting of this game it's so similar to Diablo II's setting, I liked that too much because I expected that Diablo III would have the same setting than Diablo II but it wouldn't. But anyway, it's a really good game and it has less than a week so it is going to improve. Expand
  35. Jun 1, 2013
    I had and have absolute fun in this game. This game proves that if you are original and can create atmosphere you are GOLD!

I had more fun in this game than Diablo III on all modes.

Keep it up dev!
  36. May 31, 2013
    A great Action RPG.

This game borrowed fairly heavily from the torchlight series in terms of game mechanics, and thats ok. In fact, I think they did it better then the original, and the story all the way through was fairly interesting.

The game is about 20 hours long to crawl all the side quest. The polish seems great. There were only a couple bad voice actors--most of it was
    good, and the dialog was witty and funny in the midst of a bunch of hack and slash awesome adventuring. I hear the multiplayer is a bit buggy, but I didn't do any of that. Single player was rock solid, with one exception where the final boss was able to attack me during his epic cut scene. This was no biggie, as I had plenty of cash to just respawn in place.

Perhaps my only complaint with this game is that I had absolutely TONS of gold the whole way through. There were prices for things, and it really didn't matter what they were because I could never spend all my money because sitting there and buying everything from the random item shop is boring.
  37. May 27, 2013
    This is a really good game. Pure APRG gold. I can't believe it's only $15. It's amazing how well polished an ARPG can be when there is only one "class" to balance.
  38. May 29, 2013
    WOW! It delivers what Diablo 3 screwed up (Auction house/worthless in-game gold). It delivers what Torchlight II never had, a wonderful story (and voice acting). Also the mechanics are so refined I completely forgot that it only has 2 classes (skill trees). The actually useful and funny companion in single player is also a big plus. All in all very good job! I really hope NeocoreGames gets rich with it so they can make a sequel with tons of content. Expand
  39. May 28, 2013
    Better, cheaper, and longer than Diablo 3. Combat is fluid and fulfilling. The combo system that allows to to customize your abilities is fantastic. Don't miss this game, it is well worth the price.
  40. May 25, 2013
    Very pleasantly surprised by this game. I bought it based on some decent-looking screenshots on Steam, but was surprised to find engaging story and quests, charming characters, good voice acting, a strong musical score. and really excellent graphics after I messed around with the brightness and saturation some. On launch, there were several bugs, and multiplayer is broken (5/25/13), but the company appears hard at work ironing out these issues. Otherwise, most of the game feels nicely polished.

The story and setting are some of the game's strongest aspects. The world feels like it could be right out of the Witcher novels with an Eastern European allure, and while you don't have any options as far as selecting a character (you are Van Helsing and his side kick Katarina), the game instead develops a story and personality for these particular characters and you feel like you know them through their manner and idiosyncrasies.

The biggest complaints that I have? I want more--more story for these two characters and a larger cast, especially to add some variety to the multiplayer. Four hunters in wide-brimmed hats with four ghost side-kicks is a little absurd.
  41. May 29, 2013
    Great game. Not perfect but extremely fun. The gameplay is identical to diablo 3, but better. Drops are better, more enemies to fight, quicker pace. And the biggest plus of all is that this game costs 15$ usd compared to diablo 3 at 60$.
  42. Jul 4, 2013
    A well-made action-RPG with a good balanced gameplay, high dynamics, awesome setting and a good humor. It has a few technical glitches, poor endgame but it doesn't matter you get ~20 hours of awesome gameplay for only 15$. This game's big advantage is that it's actually fun to play. It doesn't offer you a deep intriguing story, but it offers a few puzzles, dialogues between Van Helsing and Katarina which in most cases make you smile, decent voice acting in terms of interaction with NPCs.

Also I'd rather not compare it with Diablo or Torchlight, because they are endgame-oriented games, unlike Van Helsing. Also it's ridiculous how people call D3's or (Critics have mercy) Torchlight's story better. D3's story fits ~2 hours of gameplay on normal mode, after that you can simply repeat it 3 more times (don't forget the grind for gear and 2nd/3rs classes or hardcore, so maybe it'll be 5, 7, 10, 20 times) of exactly the same story. How's that a better story? Who watches the same a movie 5 times in a row however good it is? And Torchlight 2's story is linear and absolutely uninteresting with an attempt for a "twist" in the end which actually at first left me in a confusion, because it's ending was sucked out of vacuum and almost not related to everything we've seen before.
  43. May 27, 2013
    A great game not just for the price although it is very cheap. You should absolutely enjoy it for what it is. A simple fresh action RPG with great mechanics, tactical gameplay and a surprisingly gripping atmosphere, A definite must have.
  44. Aug 15, 2013
    Combat was different, sometimes fighting dozens of mobs at once, I finished the game and very much enjoyed it, but haven't play it again after that, so something was lacking for me or I just have too many choices. 8) Other friends on Steam seemed to have stopped playing it once finished also, so I am probably not alone.
    Graphically it's wonderful, it's not a 10 due to the combat lacking,
    just a little bit too repetitive.
    Definitely recommended though, played longer than many games 2-4x the price.
  45. Aug 27, 2013
    Ok, in the world of hack and slash this game is an absolute gem. I can't fail it at all. It has all:

1. Great enveronments
    2. Fast responsive gameplay
    3. Deep skill tree
    4. Amazing music!!!!
    5. Great sound effects and voice work
    6. Unique universe
    7. Exciting narrative
    8. Price is really TOO low.

Thank you devs for making such an amazing game.
  46. Sep 26, 2013
    Wow! I very impressed! This is really cool game. This game developed with love to details. Gameplay highly balanced. Graphic and art style very stylish and atmospheric. I highly recommend this game for all Hack-n-slash, acton RPG and Diablo fans.
  47. Jun 2, 2013
    Judging on the first playthrough, I found that the combat, balance, story, and overall fun is actually comparable to the iconic game like Diablo 3, and even better than Torchlight and Diablo 2. But the replay value is actually low because there is only one class (even though the skill tree is diverse enough that you can play at least 3 playthroughs with it), and the dungeon is the same (they are not randomly generated.) So if you think 15$ is worth the 50 hours of entertainment (15 hours each playthrough), then buy it. But this is not a game you will spend 100+ hours on like Torchlight or Diablo's. This is more along the line of dragon age with less rpg factor.

By the way, the producers seem to still work on the replay value by adding post-game stuffs. If that is improved, this game deserves a score of 10.
  48. Jul 15, 2013
    Great fun especially now that co-ops in and working. Stunning graphics simple but not too simple combat plenty of loot that lacks variety but is still pretty BA looking at endgame compared to what you started with. There are some pretty bad voice actors but Katerina and Van Helsing are done well and the scripts nothing out of the ordinary but still is better than a lot of recent ARPGs.

For 11 bucks this an amazing deal
  49. Jun 11, 2013
    A great game for a good price, I very liked playing with it. In my opinion it's better than Torchlight 1 & 2 (who are great too), It's also a good alternative to Diablo III.
  50. May 28, 2013
    Awesome game, and worth every cent of the twelve euros I paid for it. The game has a great skill system, and the quests and humor are refreshing; especially so early on in the game. Difficulty is done right, with the hardest difficulty being adequately hard and balenced well.

Things to note:
    mobs dont respawn, so unless you do things the creators obviously didn't intend, the possible
    xp is limited. Furthermore, there is no endgame; after 15-20 hours the game is finished and your only option for replayability is restarting with a new build or going hardcore.

Don't expect a full game for 12 euros however. There are only around 40 hours of play available, but those hours do count!
  51. May 29, 2013
    I have to say it was better then i ever dreamed of. It has an almost perfect balance between action and funny stuff (and the funny stuff/easter eggs are really well made and almost all of them made me giggle) and on top of that it has a bit of strange-horrorish feeling even tho it's not in big amounts. Overall i had a great time in this game and i am happy i was able to play it. Will give it a 9 considering it came out so well and it (from my pov) beat Diablo from many points of view even from a technical one when it comes down to skills, perks, stats and the actually USEFUL assistant with it's own skills, perks, stats inventory and options.

Some minuses that for me would have made it a 10:
    - Mobs don't respawn once u kill them like in diablo after u log out/in again. That would have made the whole experience last longer. Now if u finish the game there's nothing to do in general.
    - The droprate (if any) for epics is almost nonexistent.
    - Combining yellow items 99.(9)% of times has no chance of giving u an epic.
    - More use of minigames like the tower defense. That from my pov is an extremely strong feature that could be exploited.
    - A bit better graphics/movies is always a but as is it didn't ruin the gameplay what so ever.
    - SHORTER GAME NAME..come on...the name of the game is sarcastically long.
    - More character customization & better looking items would be nice. Most of them are well done and in the tone of the game, but even so. Maybe the camera angle was at fault?
    - DLC. Definitelly needs DLCs and stuff
    - Even more hidden objectives/quests and so on those are awesome and something that is lacking in D3.

Thanks to the developers for giving us such an awesome experience with this game. Haven't had such fun in this type of game since D1/2
  52. May 31, 2013
    T.I.A. of Van Helsing is a very nice, sold at a small price...
    ... game to buy for all lovers of the hack'n'slash!!

A great atmosphere, numerous weapons and ability, a lot of monster and enemies.... really good.
  53. Jul 24, 2013
    Great hack'n'slash game with nice graphics, and perfect dialogs! The scenario is good as well. I expected something like that from DIablo3, and I hope Neocore will make more DLCs in future.
  54. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is really good to play and has a great story and good graphics. And it is not so expensive as so many other games. I play through the game about 5-20 hours :)

So buy the game :D
  55. Nov 4, 2014
    An excellent game, much like Diablo 2 and Torchlight. Good story, great combat, superb skill tree, excellent companion mechanics, excellent voice acting, very good graphics (like dungeon siege). Highly recommended.
  56. Jun 7, 2013
    Wow, the best $11.99 I've ever spent..

I was a little skeptic against the Van Helsing franchise because I thought this would be a game trying to use the title to attract some audience.. Oh boy, wasn't I wrong?

This game doesn't revolutionize the genre but it shows that with a little bit attention to detail, you can still introduce an original game into an already crowded ARPG
    market..

The level design is better than both D3 and TL2 and with the help of great music, game creates a great atmosphere. Maps suck you in an you want to investigate every corner of the game. Skill tree is a little basic but it covers the main areas that are indispensable for the genre. Voice acting has some amateur taste to it but the dry humor throughout the game shows that developers don't take themselves very seriously. They obviously tried to create a great looking fun game and nailed it.

The whole experience reminded me the first time a played Witcher and how pleasantly surprised I was with a game from an unknown studio. I will keep supporting this game by buying whatever DLC they release and I'm hoping these guys will follow the footsteps of CD Projekt RED and make enough money to come up with an epic sequel.
  57. May 30, 2013
    I have been playing this non stop. What an awesome game and I cannot believe it is so cheap. Only £10.00. This is a fantastic hack and slash quite similar to the Torchlight games. There is some great humour in this game mostly provided by Katarina who I absolutely love. She is a very useful AI companion with a well thought out set of commands and behaviours that can be changed on the fly. The combat system is great, nothing innovative or new but it works very well and is easy to pick up. There are some very funny easter eggs hidden in this game that I won't spoil. The online mode is a bit buggy at the moment but adds replay value and the devs are working hard to fix these bugs. I have not experienced any game breaking glitches or bugs. Patch recently has already improved things. All in all I really love this game and highly recommend it. Expand
  58. Nov 21, 2013
    Unbelievable what this team has produced and at such an affordable price.. ignore the flamers this game is great fun and a huge value. you can do the best of everything all in one.. they really paid attention to detail.
  59. Jun 6, 2013
    Amazing game! On the one line with torchlight series! Looks brilliant with a sense of humor, tale references. Really recommend this game who completed diablo/titan quest/torchlight series. 10/10
  60. Jul 8, 2013
    I picked this little gem up to tide me over for a little bit between big blockbuster releases and it does not disappoint. As far as bang for the buck it's very good. Will it compete with triple A productions like Diablo? No, it will not. However for about 25% of the cost of Diablo you can get a wildly enjoyable game.

The artwork and gameplay are refreshing and I've never seen such
    ridiculous hordes of monsters in any action RPG I've ever played. The sheer volume of critters coming at you is mind blowing and there's a surprising degree of depth in the build options and itemization. Crafting is pretty lightweight, but enjoyable and I wasted multiple hours trying to build the perfect weapons in my play through.

It will not have the replayability of multi-characer D3, but it's a solid 10 game for the money.
  61. Aug 30, 2013
    I really enjoyed the game. Gameplay, levels, skills and weapon variability are really good and progression is enjoyable. But the best thing in this game is humor.
  62. May 30, 2013
    Nice gameplay, excellent soundtracks, it costs 10€ and it is great RPG experience! Nothing original, but who needs that? Only con is not enough specialization (no professions) You always play just Van Helsing. That also cause you have no temptation to play the game repeatedly.
  63. Jun 30, 2013
    So i bought and download a copy with pretty good expectations from all I've read. I think i figured out why the critics have been so hard on this game. It's clear that big companies pay them. For example look at Diablo III. Outdated graphics, horrible set up with the Real Money auction house, Incredibly short game you just play the same four acts in different difficulties (which in diablo 2 was understandable for its much smaller disk space but now it was just a dumb excuse to be cheap). The "helpers" were completely unbalanced and so stupidly useless after a certain point. All in all diablo 3 was an insanely retarded game considering the price and being it was made by a HUGE company. Yet the critics gave it HUGE ratings while actual players gave them terrible ratings. While here in this game its vice versa (hmmm... wierd). You have a game that is MUCH better visually and even in sound and is incredibly fun plus much bigger and finally the cost is less than a third of what diablo 3 was. So why would a game that is 3 times better than diablo 3 and costing 3 times less be rated 72/100 when diablo was 88/100. My point is video game critics have NO credibility anymore. stick to user ratings. Expand
  64. Jan 29, 2014
    This may not be the most beautiful game ever but it really is an hidden gem. Great art design, fun gameplay, interesting story and a lot of references to movies... I just love the dialogue between Van Helsing and Katarina !
    It really deserves to be known !
  65. May 27, 2013
    It's a big surprise... A clone of Diablo is obvious but it is really a good game costing nothing but few bucks... but please, tell to Klausreiner giving a 0 this is NOT a movie... he is a bit confused... :-D
  66. Dec 2, 2013
    Really a good game. Is not as deep as Diablo, but the gameplay is good, and the number of objects is huge. I really enjoyed the play of this game. I recommend it.
  67. May 27, 2013
    Just an unbelievably solid game for the price. Only two complaints. 1. As a lot of others have said, some of the VO is a little hokey. Fits with the theme, but could be better. 2. There's no save game plus feature. So if I finish normal mode and want to move on to hard mode, I have to reroll a new character. I'd love to see an option where my same character can press on with his hard earned loot.

Couldn't put it down all weekend. Won't find a better arpg for $60, let along the $13 price tag.
  68. Jul 17, 2013
    Aside from all players in multiplayer games looking exactly the same and playing the exact same character the game feels and plays amazing! Great graphics, great story, awesome gameplay and loot. Highly recommend this game, especially for the price.
  69. Jun 5, 2013
    Great game. Lots of fun for me. Best humor in hack n slash history. Plot isn't bad at all. And characters are marvelous. Playing this Van Helsing rpg was really great. If You like Diablo or Torchlight You should definitely play this one too. It could be even better because of steam-punk climate.
  70. Jun 2, 2013
    I look sceptically at new entries into this genre, but was rather delighted at how stylish and witty Van Helsing is, with enough of a fresh take on the ARPG to make it well worth the price. I especially enjoy the interaction between your character and his companion, and it's touches like that making this feel like a living world, rather than a long string of monsters to click on. For an ARPG, that makes all the difference. Expand
  71. Oct 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is absolutely golden; despite several poor voice actors (I'm looking at you, Mayor) and awkward typos, the experience is refreshing, unique, and extremely addicting. Expand
  72. Jun 1, 2013
    Pros: Cheap Price
    Lots of content for money paid
    Detailed environments
    Fun gameplay
    Fitting soundtrack

Cons: Technical hiccups here and there

For the price you can't get much more bang for the buck, job well done Neocore
  73. Jun 2, 2013
    I cannot believe that absolutely nobody seems to get the drift that this one is better than D3.
    While one of the biggest and most famous PC entertainment companies takes 12 years to produce a successor to one of his most popular games, this rather small company releases a top quality game that is much better in nearly any category.
    I love the enhancements (D3 plus Torchl* plus more), the
    skill tree, the graphics and especially the humour, mainly performed by your companion, the ghost.
    Of course this is a D3 clone, but with lots of things that makes it better.
    The only things that could be better:
    a) More content this part is ca. 1 chapter of D3; but for the price it is ok.
    b) Unfortunately the skill tree mainly is focused on melee vs. ranged weapons there are no different characters.
    Even with this drawbacks the game is lots of fun give it a try if you love D3!
  74. Jun 4, 2013
    Van Helsing is a hack 'n slash game that I actually enjoyed playing till the end. Games like Diablo 3 have a deeper story, and more character customization, but after a couple of hours they tend to become repetitive and boring. Van helsing counters that by introducing new gameplay elements (it contains a tower defense mini game) keeping things alive and interesting, and the witty humor keeps you throughout the game entertained. Why not a 10, while it seems to do everything right? The storyline, although definitely not bad, could be better. Gameplay wise it introduces nothing new to the hack 'n slash genre. That said, this game is well enough to be recommended to people who are not fan of the hack 'n slash genre. Expand
  75. Jun 7, 2013
    Great game! 20-30 hours for one play through. Multiple skills, abilities, and variety of enemies. Better than most games being put out now.
  76. Jul 21, 2013
    Unbelievable graphics and all the fun I wished both Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 had... completely missed the game at launch, ignored it when I was checking through steam games until it was on sale and took a chance; now my favourite game of recent time and it runs flawlessly good on a overclocked GT555m XPS 17 (810mhz with 9v unlocked bios) even with shadows set to maximum, highest character details and AA enabled! Expand
  77. Aug 22, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game. It is beautifully designed and looks very polished. The Eastern European/Slavic fantasy setting is really interesting and fits the scenario perfectly. The voice acting is well done, especially Katarina's comments made me chuckle a few times. The item crafting system is a lot of fun to experiment with. Nitpicks: Van Helsing looks a bit weird, especially when you get him new gear. My avatar ended up looking more like a circus cowboy than a monster hunter. The Level Ups could be more visible (at times, I only realized I had leveled up when I was already halfway through the EXP bar again). The ending comes a little abruptly. I was sad when the game was over, but I guess that's a good sign. One playthrough takes about 12-15 hours. I didn't get all the abilities unlocked and didn't do all the quests so I would say it's good for another go. Looking forward to the sequel. Expand
  78. Sep 18, 2013
    Such a great game, in an amazing setting, full filled with myths combined in a steampunk universe.
    I really liked the new skill powerups and the unforgetable Katarina who served as a great help, besides she's jokes and voice acting.

Waiting for the new sequel
  79. Sep 18, 2013
    The enviroment in Van Helsing is beautiful, although trees and fauna don't blow in the wind, Mobs tend to line up for you when they attack.. but beautiful art style, lovely particle effects and interesting events and story. Its clear this game is a labour of love and they've really pulled out the stops.

Im not that far in, but so far, its got great atmosphere, the chatter between
    Katarina and VH raises a smile and everything is clearly laid out. If i was to say anything at all.. it would be that in the heat of battle its hard to tell whose who with spells, lighting going everywhere, so make sure you keep an eye on healing.

Great Work Guys.. looking forward to new DLC and improvements.
  80. Apr 20, 2014
    For all the bad games that came out this past year this is a winner, finally. Diablo like in gameplay but different and enjoyable. Pay the 20 bucks get the whole enchilada or wait for summer sale. This is a must buy for a fun good gaming experience. Its not going to blow you away by any means but everything is solid and not overwehelming to a gamer. Enjoy I have.
  81. Nov 29, 2013
    Every so often (not often enough for my liking) a game comes along that makes me smile. This is one of them, a real sparkler of a gem. Polished graphics, story, music and action aplenty. Best of all very addictive with a massive replay value, and very simple controls. My type of game.

Top notch stuff!
  82. Dec 31, 2013
    For a $15 indie action RPG it doesn't get much better than this. The steampunk atmosphere and the Van Helsing lore are nicely done (not to mention the witty banter between you and your companion). The game play is solid and the few bugs I could find were quickly corrected in the first patch. The DLC is good (the second skill tree for your companion and two new playable classes). I especially liked the ability to respect both you and your companion’s abilities points (both attributes and skills). The endless story mode that was added compliments the scenarios nicely once you've completed the story through in single player.

I was a bit confused by some of the lower critics scores (the ones below 70 especially). This title stands pretty well against some of its larger competitors.

I haven't played the multiplayer at all, so my opinions are bases solely on single player.
  83. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is amazing.I saw in this game thing which I havent seen in any other game.Congrats Neocore, great ideas with enchanting, the story is very good too.I give you 11 from 10..excelent job guys.I have no patience to level up to 27-30 and try the PvP System. Expand
  84. May 27, 2014
    What I liked :
    - Design / Graphics from the setting to the background world to the monster and weapon design.
    - Characters especially Katarina she is awesome.
    - The Price.

What I liked less :
    - Some spell and weapon skill effects.
    - Nothing else.
  85. Apr 25, 2014
    Very good game. Very interesting. Very fun to play. Very good story-line. I recommend this game to people from 12 years to 25 years. i love this game so much
  86. Jun 2, 2014
    The game play is amazing with the fighting to interchanging weapons and not to mention a ghost fighting along your side. I love it I give it a healthy 9 I would of gave it a ten but the maps kinda annoying. Other than that I cant get enough of it!!!!!!
  87. X0R
    May 26, 2013

1. Sep 10, 2013
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing does in no way tread new ground in the action genre. But it is still atmospheric and sucks you in with it’s combat and loot system. The online mode suffers from many bugs and the adventure does never reach the heights of games like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2.
  2. Aug 16, 2013
    Van Helsing is long and unwieldy, but its schlocky tone prevents it becoming too frustrating of a grind. [Oct 2013, p.65]
  3. Aug 4, 2013
    Overall, I had fun with Van Helsing and it provides a lot of gameplay for a title that can be had for under $20. If Diablo style games aren't your thing, you'll want to give it a pass, but otherwise it's worth adding to your game library.